Speaker 1: In June of eighteen ninety three, Lizzie Borden's jury was weighing the evidence against her. The twelve male jurors watched her for two weeks as both sides presented their arguments. It was so hard for most men to believe that a woman from a respected family would murder her parents with an axe. Author Kara Robinson explains why.
Speaker 2: She was someone who ticks all the boxes of upper middle class womanhood. You know that she's unmarried, daughter, engaged in good works, who lives at home, and so she thought, you can't really expect her to account for her time in the way that you would expect a man who's out in the world working.
Speaker 1: And that means that the jury might not have been as concerned about where Lizzie was during the murders as a jury would be today.
Speaker 2: And we also know some things that the jury never heard, you know, namely that Lizzie Borden was alleged to have bought prussic acid or I'm sorry, Lizzie bordon was alleged to have tried to by prussic acid before the murders. And you know that shows a certain amount of intent, and it would have really postured the very effective defense strategy of trying to suggest that she's just this innocent bystander who has just had the most fortunate of being home at the wrong time.
Speaker 1: Without the benefit of that potentially useful information, the jury wasn't getting the whole story. It was a form of gender and class bias, and that sort of bias is something that pervaded the eighteen hundreds and the nineteen hundreds. Crime historian Nel Darby says that misogyny over the centuries has framed female killers in a certain way.
Speaker 3: So if you want to commit a crime, if you are so angry that you want to commit that crime now and it's not so premeditated, you will go for what you can find. I say something that kind of makes us rethink female criminality because you're making assumptions about the tool that they're using.
Speaker 1: Some murder weapons are more masculine than others. Give me a break.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of assumptions made that if women commit murder, they're going to use poison, and even you know, within fantaside cases, there's this kind of assumption that if you poison your child, that makes you worse than if you've drowned them or suffocated them, it's seen as less feminine. Again, takes more planning, and so it's interesting how we perceive these women according to what they've used to commit their crime.
Speaker 1: Nel says that visualizing the proper Lizzie Borden swinging an axe at her parents was startling to men in the eighteen hundreds. I think it still is.
Speaker 4: Women have always.
Speaker 3: Been perceived that if they commit crime, they will commit it through some sort of more ladylike way than men. That scene is quite a musculine weapon and a musculine way of killing somebody, and I think it does ignore the fact that you use what is to hand.
Speaker 1: I learned all about that bias when I interviewed people for season four of tenfold More Wicked. It was a story about Clara Phillips. In nineteen twenty two, the twenty four year old showgirl beat a woman to death in Los Angeles named Alberta Meadows. Clara suspected that the nineteen year old was having an affair with Clara's husband, even though there was no evidence the murder was clearly premeditated. Clara took her friend Peggy Caffey to a store where Clara bought a claw hammer. She hid it under her coat as she drove Alberta and Peggy up a desolate road. When Alberta got out of the car and denied the accusations, Clara beat her to death. It was a brutal murder committed by an attracted woman. She was convicted, but of second degree murder. That means they didn't think it was premeditated. The all male jury seemed enamored with her. Some jurors admitted that her looks played a role, but it was also just really hard to believe that a woman could also be a butcher. And on June twentieth, eighteen ninety three, the jury of men in New Bedford, Massachusetts had to think beyond that bias to suspend disbelief and convince themselves that Lizzie Borden did have the ability to pick up a heavy axe and murder her father and her stepmother. After just ninety minutes of deliberation, jurors knocked on the judge's door and they presented their verdict to the courtroom. Lizzie Borden was not guilty.
Speaker 2: And they themselves then, you know, head out of the courtroom and go to a bar where they have a drink because they'd been suffering under enforced temperance during the trial, and they have a picture taken of themselves and they'd present.
Speaker 5: It to Lizzie Borton.
Speaker 2: So I think that, you know, I think if you put those things together, that you'd say that this isn't really a case of reasonable doubt for them. This is a case where they were absolutely certain that she was not the murderer, or at least they were not prepared to consider the possibility that she was the killer.
Speaker 1: Lizzie was elated, of course, and will shorthand what happens afterward with Lizzie and her sister Emma.
Speaker 2: They keep the old house, which they rent out because you know, they are Andrew Borden's daughter, so they know the importance of a good commercial earner.
Speaker 1: But eventually they sold the house where their parents were murdered. Bordon tour guide Ashley Bolero tells us more as we stroll around the Bordon home.
Speaker 6: So what I can show you in here is so basically, the girls sold the house and they pack up all the furniture, and the furniture that they originally had in this home was ruined in a fire and it becomes a residential It is reopened in nineteen ninety six with the idea of making a bed and breakfast with the Burdens in mind. So none of the furniture that you see here is belong to the Bordens, but it is time period accurate, so late eighteen hundreds, early nineteen hundreds.
Speaker 1: Kara Robertson says that the Bardon's sisters moved into a quiet life in a beautiful seven bedroom, three and a half bathroom mansion in a nicer neighborhood overlooking Fall River. The mansion even had a name, Maplecroft. Kara says that their choice of locations was very telling.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things that you know that I think is very striking about the end of the story, that you know, she could have chosen to live elsewhere with.
Speaker 5: The amount of money she had.
Speaker 2: I mean, she could have been, if not perhaps totally anonymous, at least not a figure of such notoriety. But you know, she chose to remain in Fall River, and that sort of speaks speaks to, I think the provincialism that she sort of couldn't imagine being anywhere else. But also that you know that had, after all, been the height of her ambition.
Speaker 1: Lizzie Borden didn't want to leave Fall River, even if most of the people there weren't interested in keeping company with her. Kara says that in a sense, Lizzie got the life that she wanted, financial freedom without the burden of living with her overbearing parents. But it wasn't easy for her.
Speaker 2: She's frozen out of her church circle pretty quickly, that the pews around her are empty, and it becomes clear that the people who back her during the trial aren't going to necessarily want a socialife with her.
Speaker 1: Lizzie and Emma lived in Maplecroft for more than a decade.
Speaker 2: She continues to live with her sister until nineteen oh five, so that's twelve years after the acquittal, but.
Speaker 1: More than ten years after her trial. Lizzie and Emma had a fight that ended their relationship.
Speaker 2: The sisters have a dispute, and we don't know what it's about. Their speculation that it could have been about Lizzie Borden becoming a little bit too chumming with the theatrical troupe, including a particular actress.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting theory I have no idea, but Kara also says that it could have been over a handsome coachman that Lizzie favored. Then there's the rumor that Emma got an outside opinion.
Speaker 5: There are all sorts of speculation.
Speaker 2: Just we do know that she consulted her spiritual adviser about events transpiring at the house and that she wasn't happy about it, and she moved out and then never spoke to her sister again.
Speaker 1: After moving out, Lizzie Borden lived alone for more than twenty years. She died on June first, nineteen twenty seven, and the answers of what happened to her father and stepmother went with her to the grave. Kara says that at the end, Lizzie Borden was isolated, whether she deserved to be or not, and that's all part of the mystique about this story. Who was she?
Speaker 2: The people who roughly speaking, were her kind of people back her against outsiders during the trial because it would have reflected really badly on everyone, and then they freeze her out and you know, basically ostracize her afterwards.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a little bit simplistic, but that's sort of what happens.
Speaker 2: And there's also the problem that you know, we want encounters in other famous ecoitos, which is that you know, in the emotion of the moment, people maybe are relieved that the person is not found guilty, but then again, you know, when time passes, you think, well, if.
Speaker 5: That person didn't do it, then who did? Uh?
Speaker 2: And there's never anybody who's considered to be a real suspect after Lizzie Borden.
Speaker 1: That being said, Kara Robertson remains optimistic about finding out more information, even if it is more than a century after the murders.
Speaker 2: The most interesting material about the case, it's come from people's addicts, as they've gotten as you know, the Famili's closed up summer houses and they've come out. The defense lawyers journals were held in the lawyers at it for years and years and years, and finally, you know, finally they were.
Speaker 5: Donated to the Historical Society.
Speaker 2: So it's entirely possible that you know, at some point we'll get more insight into the story and that you know, Lisey Bordon can be a fuller person that as opposed to someone on whom everyone projects their deepest fears or anxieties.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Borden House is now a world famous museum. And on this cold November night, Ashley, Carrie Nolty and I are standing on Second Street outside the home taking one last look.
Speaker 7: So you're saying, there's a liar that killed four people here. Then you've got Lizzie Borden, then you've got Eliza Bordon, and then you've got the Satanic panic lady basically block.
Speaker 5: Of each other. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's you can see every single location, from every single location on this street. That's where something happens.
Speaker 5: Not the town.
Speaker 1: I think it's this.
Speaker 5: It's just this one street.
Speaker 1: I ask Ashley where her tour head's next, and she gestures up the street. Another Lizzie Bordon connection.
Speaker 6: So we stop at Saint Mary's Cathedral Church, which is the church that Bridget Sullivan attended while she lived here.
Speaker 1: This church will be the starting point for our final story. It is a beautiful Catholic church just up the road at the intersection of Second Street and Spring. It's formerly called the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption, and I love it. We haven't mentioned Bridget Sullivan in this episode, but remember that she was the Irish housekeeper for Lizzie Borden's family at the time of the murders. Luckily for Bridget, she had been spotted cleaning windows during the murders, so she was ruled out as a suspect. But Bridget has always been an enigma in this story, one of the case's most mysterious characters. Almost as soon as her testimony to authorities was complete, Bridget vanished from Fall River. She eventually got married in Montana, and in the years that followed there were rumblings about a deathbed confession to having helped Lizzie by providing fuzzy testimony about the case. But that's another topic for a show that's not tenfold more wicked. When Sullivan disappeared from Fall River, she left Saint Mary's Cathedral with one fewer pershioner, and Bridget's curious role in the murders was left to the history books of the city. Kara says that Bridget Sullivan was fortunate that she had an alibi, because yet again, immigrants in Fall River were not always given a fair shake in criminal cases.
Speaker 2: And then there's the question of Bridget Sullivan, you know, who could have been a serious trouble because although it didn't seem like a murder that would have been committed by a woman, you know, immigrant women didn't quite qualify as you know, women as understood by that differentiation, you know, so someone like Bridget Sullivan would have been expected to chop wood and do other physical labor.
Speaker 1: Bridget Sullivan's role in the Borden murders, if she did have a role, was certainly ambiguous. But even though we'll leave her behind from here, she does make an excellent transition to our final story, back to Saint Mary's Sullivan's beloved church. It has stood here since eighteen fifty two, and over the centuries it certainly hosted its share of interesting parishioners. But for our purposes, we're jumping ahead almost a century to nineteen seventy nine, when Saint Mary's became an important location in yet another terrible story centered on Fall River. I know, for a tenfold story, nineteen seventy nine feels pretty recent, but this one seems worth it. Ashley and Jeff Blanger say that this story features vulnerable victims, a frightened city, and a snake of a man, all set during the wave of frightening crimes. Dubbed the Satanic Panic. This case centers on a killer named Carl Drew.
Speaker 6: And we talk about this Satanic Panic and Carl Drew who he was.
Speaker 5: I can't put this in icily. He was a pimp.
Speaker 4: Carl Drew was trying to gain power and influence and so on. He was dealing drugs, he was doing all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Carl Drew was twenty four years old in nineteen seventy nine when the first murder took place, and he was a cult leader.
Speaker 6: And during the Satanic Panic, it was assumed that these cult.
Speaker 8: Leaders were performing human ritualistic sacrifices.
Speaker 4: So Carl Drew was recruiting sex workers, local sex workers to bring them in and you know, little did they know that they were going to be victimized like this.
Speaker 1: During the eighties, there were thousands of unproven allegations of Satanic ritual abuse and animal sacrifice across America, including sexual assaults and murders. Parents and investigators became convinced that women and children were being brutalized by devil worshipers using them in their Satanic rituals, and in nineteen seventy nine, the city of Fall River had become mired in its own version of that satanic panic. In October of that year, a seventeen year old named Doreen Anne Levek went missing in fall River. Doreen was from nearby New Bedford and she had been a sex worker. Witnesses had spotted her drinking heavily the night of her disappearance, and Doreen's body was discovered the next day under some bleachers at a technical high school in fall River. She was identified after police released a composite sketch the next month. In early November, another young woman vanished. Nineteen year old single mother Barbara Raposa had a history of drug abuse and sex work. Barbara's father became alarmed when she didn't pick up her son from a babysitter. Hunters found her body several months later in a rural area nearby Fall River. We've talked about this repeatedly on my shows, the vulnerability of different segments of society. Sex workers can be easy targets, particularly for serial killers like the Gilgo Beach suspect. Crime historian Nel Darby shared more details with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I suppose it's because of the unpredictability of their lives, they aren't keeping regular hours, they are going out at night. They might not tell people where they're going or when they be back. They might not know, so they are immediately vulnerable.
Speaker 1: A lack of communication, even in the nineteen eighties made it difficult to track them if they were in trouble. And of course this kind of vulnerability goes back hundreds of years.
Speaker 3: If I look back at did Jack forrit the case, you've got drink issues. You know, nowadays you'd also get drug issues where they might be dependent on earning a certain amount of money and take risks that they might not otherwise have done. So it's all quite sad again that these these women tend to be forgotten. They tend to be you know, it tends to be assumed that they haven't got any body who cares for them or loves them or would miss them, and yet they do. It's just that these individuals might not know what their relatives, their friends are getting up to at night. You know, they don't know where they are all the time.
Speaker 1: By nineteen eighty, Carl Drew was on the radar of investigators. Drew was known as a pimp, a brutal one who was also a well known drug dealer. Police knew that both victims were connected to him.
Speaker 4: They were meeting in the woods and so on, had a little shack out there.
Speaker 1: And Jeff Bllanger says that these murders happened at a time when the Fall River area was particularly vulnerable.
Speaker 4: The thing about Satanism just like a curse. If you believe in it, then it's real, and it's absolutely real the people that lost their lives in a ritual, whether there's such a creature as Satan or not, if you die in a sacrifice, that's pretty real to you.
Speaker 1: No one knows what really happened out there in the woods with Carl Drew and his cult, but the police knew that he was up to something, and they also knew that a potential killer needed to be brought in and questioned.
Speaker 6: The Fall River Police wanted to question him about some murders that had happened, and that some ties that he had to these murders.
Speaker 1: Fall River police needed informants to arrest Carl Drew, and they began talking with a woman named Karen Marsden, who was connected to Drew through sex work, but she had already heard about the bodies that were found, and Karen was clearly frightened. Police tried to convince her that she would be protected, that Carl Drew wouldn't be able to hurt her if she cooperated with them.
Speaker 8: And they spoke to Karen asking her to basically make a statement.
Speaker 1: Investigators suspected that Karen knew details about the cult, so the month after Barbara's body was discovered, they contacted Karen. Karen would not tell investigators who killed Doreen. She just didn't believe that they could keep her safe, sobbed in the police car. They wanted to take her to the woods, to the place where they believed the murder happened, but Karen was petrified. She insisted that she needed religious guidance, so the police agreed to drop her off at Saint Mary's in February of nineteen eighty.
Speaker 8: And she was like, well, if I'm going to talk to anybody, I need to speak to a priest first. So they brought her over to the church right over there, Saint Mary's Cathedral Church, and that was the last time she was seen alive.
Speaker 1: During the Satanic Panic of the early nineteen eighties, Karen Marsden became Full River's third victim, and crime historian Nel Darby says she's sadly not very surprised.
Speaker 3: So there's always been the thing, well, they might not be missed as quickly because they might be living on their own, not be living with family who look out for them.
Speaker 1: But Karen Marsden was missed, and when she didn't return home that night, Marsden's grandmother panicked and reported her missing the next day.
Speaker 8: Her remains were found a couple of months later in a nearby town called Westport.
Speaker 1: It took extensive police searches and there were only partial remains discovered, about one hundred and fifty miles from Fall River. Here's what the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has happened, adding more details to an already convoluted case. In December nineteen seventy nine, Robin Murphy and Karen Marsden were in a relationship living together in Fall River. Miss Marsden had previously lived with and worked for Carl Drew, a Fall River pimp who also led a satanic cult. Miss Murphy was an active participant in a group of pimps, sex workers, and drug abusers that included mister Drew. On the evening of February eighth, nineteen eighty, seventeen year old Robin Murphy and Ms Marsden were in a car with mister Drew and two other people. Once they were in the woods in Westport, they beat Karen Marsden to death with rocks and slit her throat. Robin Murphy also admitted to being present and playing a role in the murder of Barbara Raposa in Fall River on February seventh, nineteen seventy nine. Murphy was given immunity in the Raposa murder trial because she testified at another trial in which a different cult member was convicted of first degree murder. At Drew's murder trial in March nineteen eighty one, different people took the stand to testify against him. They said that there were numerous rituals in those woods between October of nineteen seventy nine and February of nineteen eighty. This next part is from Michael Newton's book, An Encyclopedia of Modern serial Killers. It reads declaring himself to be Satan. Drew would reportedly chant and pray in a different language, leading his flock through the grisly steps of human sacrifice on at least two occasions. Carl Drew and Robin Murphy were given life sentences for murdering Karen Marsden. Drew was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder of Raposa. The family of the third victim, Doreen, never received justice. Although Drew was sentenced to life without parole, Murphy was released in two thousand and four. The next year, Carl Drew filed a motion for a new trial. He claimed ineffective assistance of counsel. He also said that the witnesses were lying. Here's what's interesting. Remember that Robin Murphy had testified at Drew's original trial, and that's why she was convicted of second degree murder, not first degree murder. She cut a deal with the prosecutor after she was parolled. Murphy testified at Drew's evidentiary hearing that her testimony at his original trial was quote fabricated and molded by former prosecutors and investigators. After listening to Murphy's testimony as well as other evidence, Supreme Court Judge John P. Connor Junior, denied Drew's appeal and dismissed Murphy's news statements. He said that she was the most unreliable of all the witnesses at the hearing. Judge Connor said this about Robin Murphy. She maintains that she has no recall of February eighth, nineteen eighty, that's when Karen Marsden was killed. He said that she doesn't remember what she told the representatives of the District Attorney's office on in April twenty ninth through May one of nineteen eighty, and that she doesn't remember testifying at the trial that the defendant killed Marston. Judge Connor declared quote the testimony of Murphy's prostitutes and the police officers who were involved in the Marsden investigation in nineteen ninety one reveal Murphy to be a very intelligent, controlling, and violent person whose primary interest was taking care of herself. Twenty three years in prison have not changed that impression. Carl Drew eventually died in prison. Robin Murphy was paroled in two thousand and four, but then violated her terms and returned to prison in twenty eleven. In twenty twenty two, at the age of fifty nine, Murphy became eligible for parole once again, but the Parole Board denied her application. This is what it said. The Board is of the opinion that Robin Murphy has not demonstrated a level of rehabilitative process that would make her release compatible with the welfare of society. Murphy is eligible for parole once again in twenty twenty four, though virtually no one sympathizes with her or the other cult members even decades later. Although some believe Carl Drew to be innocent, most see him as another nefarious killer from Fall River's past. If you believe some of the media over the past few decades, Fall River, Massachusetts did seem to be cursed, particularly in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 4: You know, this is a time when the New Bedford Highway murders, which is a really interesting story too. The bodies are being dumped in and around, you know, the streets of New Bedford and Fall River and so on.
Speaker 1: Jeff is absolutely right about the times being strange, more confounding murders, but these happened several years after Carl J. Drew haunted the woods. The New Bedford Highway killer did create another level of mystery and fear in this part of New England. Here's a quick summary of this unsolved case. In one year, nineteen eighty eight, eleven women went missing from New Bedford, Massachusetts. It's a community about fifteen miles to the southeast of Full River. By the following year, the bodies of nine of the eleven victims were recovered along the highways in the area, including around Full River. Two women were never found but are presumed dead. Investigators believed that this was certainly the work of a serial killer. It's a famous case in New England, though truthfully I had never heard of these murders. Investigators are still working these cases more than three decades later, and with the advancement of DNA testing as well as genetic genealogy, it's certainly possible that the serial killer might still be identified.
Speaker 5: Hope.
Speaker 1: So, the New Bedford Highway murders were frightening and they heightened the area sense of fear in the nineteen eighties. After those murders, some people felt like the areas seemed like the nexus for an evil entity meant to create death and provoke fear for generations, particularly in people who visited those two blocks in Full River. Jeff Balanger says he's not so sure.
Speaker 4: So again we try to make connections. We try to find order amid this chaos of people being murdered and found dead on the side of the road or in the woods, and we try to understand what's behind the monsters that are doing this.
Speaker 1: I suppose that it's the idea that something supernatural must be at work, that a normal person would never do something so wicked. How else do we explain so many horrific things happening in one area. New England has a deep history. How could bad things not happen? You all know, I do believe in ghosts, sort of. I wouldn't say I'm sure, though. I am certain that my family's old farmhouse has spirits roaming around. But my beliefs generally are grounded in science and provable facts, not blind faith. But then, just when I thought we'd be leaving all this talk of how New England is certainly haunted behind, Jeff Balanger throws a wrench into all of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's continue to zoom out. Have you heard of the Bridgewater Triangle?
Speaker 1: What I mean?
Speaker 4: So, here's the thing, right, So the Bridgewater Triangle is this area just a scoch North of Fall River of just unusual paranormal and strange activity. It goes down to Freetown's State Forest, which is where Carl Drew and the Satanic Shack was, And so people have looked into this area for years. There's been UFO sidings, ghost sightings, monster sightings, cult activity, murder, and so on.
Speaker 1: And so on. This is the last thing we need this season and even bigger playing field. But Jeff insists that it's important to consider if you are a true believer.
Speaker 4: And so those of us who have sort of looked into this Bridgewater triangle, if you expand it just a little, that includes Fall River, that includes even parts of Rhode Island, even in Connecticut, and so on, and there's an unusual amount of strange activity in and around this region. That's about two hundred square miles, which I get is a large area. And if I put any two hundred square mile area where there's some population, you will find weirdness and murders and so on.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Every city, every town in this country has history history of deception, of betrayal, of murder, of true crime. But it seems like it would be hard to find an area more steeped in those things than full River. I asked Jeff Blanger if folks in the city ever grow tired of their most famous public figure.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's people in Fall River that are absolutely sick of the Lizzy Borden thing. Can we please move on and be known for something else? And then there's other people that are just like, hey, how cool. At least my city's known for something. At least we got that, you know, at least we're infamous when you go across the country.
Speaker 1: But infamous right for two horrific murders. On the other hand, it does bring people to the city, and it's a city that I really like.
Speaker 4: It's a love hate relationship, I think, similar to the way Salem, Massachusetts has a love eight relationship with its witchy history. You can't argue that it brings in tons of people. However, I'm sure if you live there, you're like, could we be known for something else?
Speaker 1: Jeff thinks that Fall River and Salem take different approaches to how they tout their street.
Speaker 4: Salem's different. I mean, when you put a witch riding a broomstick on the side of your police car, good luck playing that down right. But fall River they don't have hatchets on their town hall, you know, dripping blood. But however, there are a lot of people that go there because they're either true crime fans, or they're paranormal fans, or you know, they just love the macabre.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed my time in fall River. I liked the food and the people. I enjoyed learning about true crime at the Lizzie Borden House, the place where Sarah Maria Cornell died right on the bay, is now a park and it's beautiful. The historical society is terrific, and even Oak Grove Cemetery is wonderful. Jeff says that just like other cities, Fall River has its highlights and it has its struggles.
Speaker 4: You know, fall River, It's parts of it are really beautiful. Parts of it are pretty run down, but you know, well it's in a great spot by the water. You're, like I said, you're close to Providence and those opportunities Providence rud Island. So yeah, it's a unique place where it's part of it is caught in this like post industrial rundown, and parts of it are just trying to reinvent itself with restaurants and bars and exploring the history and so on.
Speaker 1: And Fall River might find its stride soon.
Speaker 4: You know, any place can be revitalized, any place can be celebrated. And every town has got its great neighborhoods and it's bad neighborhoods and Fall Rivers no different.
Speaker 1: But those mythical connections might be misleading because every city has murders, right, and some of them are weird and unusual. But whenever there's a high profile murder in a place like Fall River, it's hard not to think about Lizzie Borden and that infamous history.
Speaker 4: Right, I know, And so and again, it's not the greatest neighborhood, and bad things happen in not the greatest neighborhood. So is it us just making connections that aren't there? It's just coincidence that a few bad things happen in this small area or is there really something to it? And that comes down to faith if you believe in it. Like I said, if you believe in a curse, you're cursed. There's no way out of it other than to somehow stop believing that you're cursed.
Speaker 1: And so in the end, I'm a yes on ghosts and spirits and a hard no on curses, especially on an entire city, but on a family. Maybe. If you're a descendant of Sarah Earl and Thomas Cornell Junior and your name is Lizzie Borden, I don't think anyone else from that line is cursed, and that includes, of course our helpful family relative Carrie Noulty. But boy, Lizzie Borden definitely had tragedies all through her family line, and we've tied them all together. Rebecca Briggs Cornell might have been murdered by her son Thomas and or his wife, Sarah Earle. Sarah and Thomas's last child, named Innocent, would become a Bordon. Sarah Maria Cornell, the possible murder victim for my new book was related to Thomas Cornell, and both Eliza Darling Borden and her husband Lodwick were from Thomas and Sarah's family lines. Eliza's son William might have been connected to that terrible fire across the street from the Borden home, And of course Lizzie Borden was in Innocent Borden's direct line, as was Lodwick, Lizzie's great uncle. What a mess. I've now stopped exploring Bordon murder stories with Lizzie No More Please, and Jeff Billanger agrees all things seem to return to Lizzie Borden.
Speaker 4: And I think that's part of what captivates us by this case. And then we spidowe about and we look for causes because no one was ever punished. It's so frustrating, right, It makes you crazy. That haunts us, that buildings haunted. I don't care if you believe in ghosts or not. It haunts us, It haunts a community, haunts a world. Why have there been so many damn TV movies made out out of the Lizzybordon story? Why are we talking about it right now? It's not going away? Right, It just doesn't go away because, damn it, you know, we know it could happen again.
Speaker 1: Now we've come to the end. I usually like to conclude a Tenfold story with a relative, so I asked Carrie Nolty one last question to wrap up this very strange season of Tenfold More Wicked. Does she believe in curses, either curses on families or curses on towns, or is it something else like generational trauma?
Speaker 8: Do you think Fall River is curse?
Speaker 9: I don't belie leave in curses per se in terms of something that can just damn an area. I believe in reverberations of personality of people, of choices and actions and how they affect everyone, rippling down through the years. And I think that that is a human quality that we all have to reckon with and we are still reckoning with.
Speaker 1: And I have to say I think I agree with her. A note for my listeners. Tenfold More Wicked launched in January of twenty twenty one on Exactly Right, and it was my goal to introduce our audience to compelling stories in crime history, stories that move you, characters that you'll remember even though they may have died hundreds of years ago. My team and I created twelve seasons of Tenfold, spanning from Rhode Island and sixteen hundreds to Austin, Texas in the nineteen thirties. With the conclusion of this season, our twelfth, I have decided to bring tenfold More Wicked to a close. I am excited to stay with Exactly Right to bring you a weekly episode of my true crime chat show Wicked Words, starting on July eighth. Right here in this podcast feed. Plus, I now get to focus on my love of historic true crimes on Buried Bones each week with Paul Holes. Not to fear. All seasons of Tenfold will remain here for your future enjoyment. Thanks for the love over the last three years, y'all. If you love true crime, check out my books American Sherlock and All That Is Wicked. I also have an audio book called The Ghost Club. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club and how he investigated England's most famous haunted house. This has been an exactly right tenfold more media production producer Jason Whaling, Senior producer Alexis m Rossi, Consulting producer Kyle Ryan, sound designer Eric Friend, composer Curtis Heath. Additional music Jeremy Buller, artwork Nick Toga. Executive producers Georgia Hartstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer.