Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday. At that morale is high suns out, buns out. Slider Sunday on a Friday. Cheeseburger sliders, chicken bacon ranch sliders, cheesy meatball sliders. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No chicken bacon rank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, King Sawaiian supplying the buns today? How good is this? Out of the day brought to you by Penadi America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. I might have to have a capologist come in and prevent you from going over the number ten the chicken bacon ranch sliders. I'm gonna set it three, okay.
Speaker 3: I was thinking I was going to have, hopefully to have at least two of each of those three.
Speaker 2: Is that okay?
Speaker 3: That gluttonous?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: You know I can take that down pretty easily.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know that, But I'm trying to help you help yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm on, but I'm on the pregnant zone and stuff on the appetites way up. I'm gonna easily have at least five sliders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Todd just came over right before we came on the air, and he goes, man, I am wired up, and I go why, He goes, I'm taking this pregnan zone, this steroid. I'm wired up, and I.
Speaker 3: Go chemically, you all riled up. I napped for about an hour and a half in the middle of the night, and that's the only sleep I got, oh boy, except from like two twenty to three forty five.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm ready. Okay.
Speaker 3: I was gonna come in and just sit here starting like five in the morning because I just I just felt like I had to leave the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Well everybody's been worn.
Speaker 4: Now settle down, Joe Boy, settled down.
Speaker 2: Todd is on steroids and he is wired up, ready to go play the day poll question, stat of the Day. All of that coming up, sliding into the weekend. Our good friends at King's Hawaiian they want you to get together with family and friends, enjoy the weekend. Make every Sunday a slider Sunday Day. Say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you, and you can download the app. You can watch this show for free. You can see how the sausage is made. As we like to say in the business. Also say good morning to chat Row. Also are radio affiliates iHeartRadio and Fox Sports Radio and now three hundred ninety cities around America that carry this program. Tyler is making the sliders, but he's also answering phone calls today. He's standing by eight seven seven three DP show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show. By the way, Marvin has his playlist that you voted on courtesy of my plan from Verizon puts you in control of your phone plan and you're in control of Marvin's cookout playlist you voted at Danpatrick dot com. And we're going with a seventies vibe, I believe today. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Indeed? We are?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready, okay, crushed, all right, seventies crushed the voting. Okay, we're going to everybody gets one guess of what song they think will be on Marvin's playlist today for the cookout you get you get to eat first, all right, sliders first today? How's that you get one guess of what song you think will be on Marvin's playlist today?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: See, are we guessing that right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Yeah, I have a guess. Okay, I'm going with Marvin Gay. What's going on? Okay, all right, Marvin named nineteen seventy one. I believe Marvin named after Marvin Gay Todd Night Fever Beg's Okay, all right, Uh, Paulie.
Speaker 7: This is tough because the seventies are different ears, even just in the seventies with funk and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have to kind of hone in on what you think Marvin might have selected, not what we would have selected.
Speaker 7: Like Fritzy went Beg's. I don't see that under Marvin's million you. There's a song called Mothership Connection, which is a great hook to the show Mothership Connected by Parliament. I'm not going that. I'm gonna go Don't Stop Till You Get Enough by Michael Jackson, which is in seventy nine, a little late, but great song.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with something from Toto. Yeah, something from Toto. I'm just not sure that I don't remember the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or something like that. Is that the name of the song from Toto or Georgie Porgie. Yeah, that's what it was, Georgie Porgy, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Did anybody get it right? Marvin? No, Oh, probably should have stayed with Stevie Wonder. Yeah that's a good guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a very good guess. Yeah, there's no Stevie.
Speaker 2: There's no Stevie today. No.
Speaker 4: I haven't played any of these songs at all. Oh, okay, all do came in?
Speaker 2: Wait, you told me about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from Toto yesterday that you loved it.
Speaker 4: I do. I've never played it. Oh, okay, I'm just talking about it. Okay, Stevie, I've never Okay.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was thinking superstition or.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's a song from a familiar guy. Okay, but it's not his big hit.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So Marvin's playlist thanks to your voting at danpatrick dot com. Poll question today Seaton. Uh, let's see Dan, Who are the real Boston Celtics Games one, two, and three or Games four and five? Oh man, those are drastically different teams. That wasn't as close as the score might indicate. That was a beatdown. Charles Barkley will join us a little bit later on today. By the way, Troy Aikman will join us coming up next hour. I think what you're seeing now is the regular season version of the Boston Celtics. They were very, very good during the regular season. That's why they were the number two seed. You know, we talk about sometimes where you get scared straight. Something happens in your life and you get scared straight. That's it feels like that's what happened to the Celtics. It's like you're down three games to none, you're gonna get swept. But if I said, and yesterday before the game, I said, I get the feeling Boston's gonna come back and win this thing. They look great, but that you know, they're the kind of team they need to win an ugly game because they played ugly and gotten blown out, and then they played great and then they've blown out Miami. They need to play a game where they don't play great but they hold on to win. Then you get that, you know, game back in Boston. But this is this is how Boston is. Boston could win in Miami this next game and lose Game seven in Boston. That's just who they are. Trying to figure them out, and you watch them last night and then all of a sudden, you go, yep, they are the deepest team. Yes, that is a talented team. I guess Joe Mozoula can coach now because he was going to get fired probably or at least people that talked about that possibility if they lost last night. But here is Joe Mizoula after the impressive win last night.
Speaker 8: Sometimes you have a bad week at work, and you know, we obviously didn't pick the best time to have a bad week, but we did, and we're sticking together and fight like hell keep it alive, and the guys are are really coming together.
Speaker 2: When we have a bad week, there's not the possibility we'll get fired. When he has a bad week, there's a chance that he could get fired, or at least people floating that out there. Jimmy Butler responded to this question.
Speaker 4: What's the sins after being up three to zero and losing two in a row by a combined thirty points in the locker room from you, what's the mindset now with the series stands?
Speaker 9: We just got to play better, start the games off better on the starters, make it more difficult for him. They're in a rhythm since the beginning of a game. But we're always going to stay positive knowing that we can and we will win this series and we'll just have to close out.
Speaker 2: At home this Now, there was a quote that was pulled from the quote, there's a headline there that we can and we will win. It's like, al, he's guaranteeing, Well, what if Jimmy Butler said the following, you know we can win. I'm just not sure if we can win, you know, or we will win? We can you know? Right now? It's a kind of a coin toss here. If we will win, okay, he has to. You're asking what is the team's mindset? He just said we can and we will. That has to be your mindset. He didn't say we will win this next game. That's it, like we want this guarantee. Oh my god, did you ever Jimmy but he guaranteed? He did not. What is your team's mindset? You know what, we have to do this and this and this, and we have to believe we can and we will win. It's not a headline, yes, Todd, So.
Speaker 3: You don't say we're petrified. They've got all the momentum. Now I don't see us winning another game. We're done.
Speaker 2: Then it's a headline. But this isn't a headline, Yeah, pul.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're planning on losing a squeaker at home Saturday evening, so we could come all the way back up here and really put the hammer down the.
Speaker 2: Book it, Yeah, write that down, yeah, book it. Celtics beat the Heat one ten ninety seven, so Miami is still up three to two in the series. Who do you think is favored Game six coming up tomorrow night, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give two and a half points favorite to the Celtics to force the game seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seaton? Who is favored Game six? Go three and a half Celtics? All right, Marvin.
Speaker 4: One and a half Celtics, okay.
Speaker 7: Paulie Miami one and a half.
Speaker 2: Boston is giving three wohm hmmm, yeah yeah, I got over unders. You want to play that game? All right?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Over under? Game six According to DraftKings, Jason Tatum Marvin.
Speaker 4: Twenty nine and a half, Paulie twenty seven.
Speaker 2: And a half, Seaton thirty one and a half, Todd twenty four and a half, thirty and a half for Jason tATu over under Jalen Brown Paulie twenty three and a half.
Speaker 4: Todd twenty two and a half.
Speaker 2: Bloop bloop bloop. Nailed it over under game seven No Al Horford, by the way, Hello, great game last night? Huge six points?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Twelve? Oh did he have twe Yeah?
Speaker 10: No? Yes no?
Speaker 7: Al had a six points, eleven rebound.
Speaker 2: Eleven rebounds, five assists, Steve. In my mind it felt like he had more points than that.
Speaker 7: No turnovers, no fouls.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Butler over under Todd twenty eight.
Speaker 4: And a half.
Speaker 2: Who what did? Fritzy is on fire? By the way, Prednizone is a wonderful drug and a terrible drug because it'll take away all your pain, but you can't stay on it a long period of time, so you're just taking a small dose of premoizes for a cold.
Speaker 3: And I had like three peanut butter and jelly soundches three in the morning was eight and a half a cookie.
Speaker 2: I was on a pretty heavy dose of preadma zone a long time ago, and man, will it. It'll give you a real high high and a real low low. You can be really like your pinball machine, or you can be just you know, in a corner in a dark place. Yes, I see. I was once on a very low dose of it, and I was like, man, I feel different. Oh, it's wonderful. When I was going through, you know, this autoimmune situation and I felt like you had the flu and every bone in your body ached, and all of a sudden, I took some prednizone. I'm like, let's go dancing. Who wants to play golf? You know, let's run a marathon. Then all of a sudden it wears off and you're like, help, I'm gonna go sit in the Dirk room by myself.
Speaker 7: Yes, pom and isn't a bad long term for joints and yeah stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's why you have to It's great, and then you have to wean your body. It's so powerful you wean your body. I wean myself off of it, like one milligram at a time, and it took forever, and then you get back on it. It's a it's a rough, rough cycle to be on, but it does take away all your pain. Yeah poem A while back.
Speaker 7: I think it's like eight nine years ago. I had lung surgery and it's pretty painful and I took they gave me vicotin and I've never had any pain medication except for advil in my life. I took one half of what they recommended. I felt like like it was a tingling feeling all over, and I flushed the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a Vicoden and do the job. When I had my sixtieth birthday, we went to Pebble Beach. I brought my brothers and some friends, and I couldn't play golf just because of this inflammation. And a friend of mine said, well, you could try Vicodin, And I go, all right, so I'm gonna be on vicoting and play golf. And he goes, well, you can try it. So I played golf on vicodin, had you know, one pill for the front line and one pill in the back nine. Like I don't even know what score was, but I had a great time. A couple bloody Mary's in there, and you know you're good. A transfusion. I think I had a transfusion at Pebble Beach, All right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handlely tp show. Come on in, stay awhile, got a lot of things to talk about here. In about an hour, Troy Aikman will join us. T Roy Aikman and Charles Barkley. Charles not in a good mood because if Miami won last night, Charles is on vacation. He's like, oh man, he goes, hey, Fritzy, I'll come on the show. If Boston wins, I'll be on the show at eleven twenty. Because he still has to go to work, he has to go back to Miami. He's calling out Dan Levitard. He's calling fat Dan Levatard, I'm coming to Miami. You and your fat dad. Now he's got a good relationship with him. But Barkley was not pleased. He was ready, had practicing his golf swing, he was going to go fishing, and all of a sudden, I was like, Charles, vacation ain't happening, at least for another couple of days. Yeah, Paul, you.
Speaker 7: Want to I guess Charles Barkley's weight game, because I bet he's under three hundred. I bet he's noticeably under three hundred.
Speaker 2: Now, I hope he is.
Speaker 7: If I set the over to two eighty nine, I think I would take the under. Yeah, he looked good the other day at TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, let's take a break. We'll come back. We'll settle on a poll question No NBA, no NHL coming up Tonight Stars beat the Golden Nights in overtime Vegas st up three to one in that series where thank you Marv. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show. Tire rack dot Com man and they make it easy. You want to get tires, you can order them one day, they're there the next day. That's what happened for me. And they have a test track and they have only the best tires, full lineup of the best tires. They have Yokohama tires and you be able to get their test results. For that I'm getting ahead of myself. Go to tire rack dot com slash den, tell them what you drive and there's an easy to use tire decision guide, so it's a personalized tire recommendation. They give you the right tires for hallin Wedden where you drive, and you get the tires shipped fast and free to you or one of over ten thousand recommended installers with free road hazard protection. Mobile tire installation available in a lot of areas. They'll bring new tires to your home or work and install them on site. They thought of everything great to work with. Go to tire rack dot com slash Dan. You'll check out the Yokohama test result special offers tire rac dot com slash Dan. Tire rack dot com is the way tied buying should be. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Just like how my plan from Verizon puts you in control of your phone plan, we put you in control of Marvin's cookout playlist. This week you voted at Danpatrick dot com. There are a lot of voting and you love the seventies. They won by a forty seven percent of the vote. We're going to do this again next week. Just a reminder on my plan, get exactly what you want, only pay for what you need. Marvin the Artist.
Speaker 4: This is Rick James.
Speaker 2: Okay you and I okay? Now, I did say is Toto going to be played today? And you said no.
Speaker 4: I thought you meant coming back from this break?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, We all guessed one of one of the songs on your playlist?
Speaker 4: Oh wait wait, I said I was going to play it yesterday. So it wasn't like some shot in the dark though.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm listening to you. The other guys didn't listen to you. When you say nobody hears me, and I go, I hear you, and I proved it to you. Okay, So yes, you are correct. Okay, So Toto is going to be played as one of the songs, Yes, for sure.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 2: Did anybody else get a song?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Absolute artists? Okay, all right, it wasn't that difficult. I just remembered what you said yesterday, except for the song. Yeah, what's it called? Georgie Porge Georgie Porgy. It's later on today Marvin's Cookount playlist. It's sweeping the nation. Everybody wants to put out a playlist, a cookout playlist.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was like, oh, out of the blue, you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody's doing it. I went, okay, everybody, Well to say hello to those people listening to the show. You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Next time I see tree. Oh you're doing Mollie Armstrong next?
Speaker 2: Okay, is Donna Summer on your playlist?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, a little hot stuff, Donna Summer No, I know the song okay, but no disappointing thank you to No Hall and either fine good Billy Joel no good.
Speaker 4: Shall I tell you guys the artist?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do you guys want to know the artist today?
Speaker 3: I think I want to be surprised.
Speaker 2: Okay, and we'll be surprised. All right, thank you, markin back to you, Okay. Poll question today, Seaton is what yeah we put up there? Who are the real Boston Celtics? Good get? Why is that a problem? What's wrong with that? No, it's trying to figure him out. It's like I don't know, okay, Uh, games one, two and three or Games four and five? A lot of people are asking for a both option. But that's not the question. That's not the question. Sixty eight percent have games four and five. They're a better team than this. Well, no team has come back from a three to zero deficit one hundred and fifty one times in the playoffs. But I think we're headed to a game seven. And if you get contributions from Marcus Smart and Derek White now Horford, you get Jason Tatum to play like he's supposed to play, they're tough to beat. They're going to be tough to beat. But man, are they jekylin Hyde and you could spell hide hyde or hide. But last night that was impressive. But that's what I remember the Boston Celtics being during the regular season. Buddha and San Francisco leads us off today. Good morning, Buddha. What's on your mind tonight or today or tomorrow? No body? Yeah? What up?
Speaker 5: DP boys? Yesterday or Wednesday? I think you guys talking about Lebron set my nation off fire again. And Dan, I gotta say, all you have to say is Lebron has about a three percent chance of retiring. It's a random number. I'm thrown out there. And you know, I guess I learned yesterday that the Lakers really didn't get swept, so that's kind of cool. And and then you know what, guys, I got to give credit where credits due Marvin Prince with the one shining moment last yesterday with the Louis Armstrong, I was like dying. I almost spit out my soda. I was like, that is amazing, good job Marve on that. And I just can't I can't help but think like the joker, he must be sitting just so comfortably watching the games, watching the JV squads go at it, having some popcorn because he's just rubbing his hands together, getting ready for the final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, he's hoping that this goes seven games. But Marvin, and you'll notice, I was the only one that applauded when Voodoo talked about your Louis Armstrong in person. Person that listened, Yeah, I listened to. I applauded. I get a sense there's some jealousy. Now, no, no, it's all good. No, no, I'm only worried about the person that signs my checks. It's it feels like maybe you're viewed as teacher's pet.
Speaker 4: I always thought that was Frizzy.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, he's no teachers pest. It's what Fritzie is there. Yeah, tod on a Friday, that's what he does. Common teacher's pest. Yeah, teachers highest g p A in the rooms. See that's why greade point average doesn't mean anything. It does not.
Speaker 4: Does not smart.
Speaker 3: I memorize a bunch of stuff, spit it back on a piece of paper, But throw me in some kind of street situation.
Speaker 4: I'm a disaster.
Speaker 2: I'll bet your mom didn't let you cross the street by yourself until you're probably.
Speaker 4: Became okay, prade, you can, you know, kind of go do your own thing.
Speaker 2: And then I say to Fritzie, I say, how's your mom doing? And then he goes, ah, same hell crazy. I never see it.
Speaker 3: You lived in California. I couldn't see you, and now you're in Connecticut a couple hours away. You might as well still be in California. I never gets chance to see you. I got all these doctor appointments, I mean, dropped dead any day now. You don't know where all the important paperwork is in my apartment. You don't come visit.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you saw your mom?
Speaker 3: I saw her like two or three weeks ago. Actually she came from a daughter's dance recitle and she's gonna come up for graduation party.
Speaker 2: And when's the last time you went to Brooklyn?
Speaker 3: Probably been about a month or so.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, which is terrible. Maybe she's never good enough.
Speaker 3: It's never good enough. I say, there twenty days in a road. As soon as I leave, as I'm driving home, Oh you gotta go, you gotta run back.
Speaker 2: At the Connecticut Does she want you to live at home again. Yes, okay, do you nothing.
Speaker 3: Else but to help drive her around because she doesn't have a license.
Speaker 2: Do you want to live at home with your mommy?
Speaker 3: I do not, but I do like that she still keeps my head of Thomas posted up there on the wall.
Speaker 2: Oh see your bedroom, it looks similar.
Speaker 3: It's got the Atari cartridges, It's got like all the uh BOYD games and stuff. There's a lot of stuff. You would think I was still there, like an eleven years.
Speaker 2: Old when I went to see Sandler when he was doing a stand up routine in New Hampshire, and we went to his home where his mom still lives, where he grew up. His bedroom is the same. It's almost like it was just frozen in time. All the same posters and pictures and trophies, all the same. Nothing has changed in Sandman's bedroom. Andrew and Washington, Hey Andrew, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 12: Hey, happy meet Friday, Dan and the guys. Thanks for taking my phone call. This is Marvin's Pie game coming up, Heat and six, so we'll be watching for that.
Speaker 13: See if the Heat can do that. But the Heat entered the playoffs with the longest odds to make the Finals or win the finals at one fifty to one, so if they make them, they'll be the longest odds to make the finals since nineteen seventy six. Merger Also, I do have a Saturday. But the question is is Gabe Vincent that important to their rotation that he went down with an ankle spray in game four and they lost.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't have all the depot and you don't have Tyler heroes, so you're already now you're asking somebody else to step up and play more minutes if you don't have three of your top nine guys. Yeah, that that's going to mess up rotations there.
Speaker 12: All right, Well, I do have some Saturday, if I could get some music. For the first time ever, in the Western Conference Finals, a player average over thirty points a game while shooting fifty percent from the floor from three and ninety percent from the line. It's not Joker, that player playoff Jay Jamal Murray.
Speaker 13: That's your Saturday.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, Andrew, we got loose and turned four. There got buried. Celtics are the first team in NBA history to get at least twelve steals and twelve three pointers in a playoff game from its starting five. Yeah, it was a balanced attack. You get Brown and Smart and Tatum and White have at least fifteen have at least two steals. They played great defense. But that's the frustrating part of this. You're not quite sure the team that's going to go to South Beach because they could be this team we saw last night, or they could be the team we saw in the first three games there. But you got this game. You needed this game. It is day to day, game to game here. But can Miami somehow regroup and figure out what they were doing right in the first three games here because Joe Missoula made some changes there. You know what he did that I keep saying, just call time ounce when Miami goes on a run or a little bit of a run, or you sense there's a run, just call timeout. That's it. The only coach I know who refused to call the first time out was John Wooden. John Wooden would never acknowledge that you were out playing or out coaching UCLA, and coach never did that. Joe miszool is not John Wooden. Call a timeout, that's all you need. Call timeout. Let it kind of, you know, simmer a little bit and then go back out there and maybe with a different philosophy. But I think you'll see that more in Game six with him if he sends his Miami's on a run, call time out, break their rhythm, break the rotation there, whatever you can do, but don't let them get comfortable. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: I imagine those UCLA teams are usually up forty to twenty two at half, and they had Louel Sinder, so you didn't have to call timeout and go often.
Speaker 2: No, no, probably not, but even when they were in a tight game, coach wouldn't didn't want he did not want to be the coach you called the first time out.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: See, get a couple more phone calls in here. Jimmy Garoppolo has foot surgery, and I went, okay, when did that happen? And all of a sudden you find out it was in March. I go okay. Trying to figure out if the Raiders are going to be better or worse than they were last year. But you got Jimmy Garoppolo, You traded Derek Carr. Davante Adams wanted to go to Vegas to play with his former college teammate, and here is the Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams.
Speaker 6: Everything's get taken out of context. I wouldn't be here. I mean I told you guys right after the Derek thing. You know, I was here to stay and I wasn't going anywhere. So you can you can take you can grab something and run with it if you want, just you know, to get clicks. And that's what That's what people often do with me and things that I say, whether I misspeak or if I speak up. But at the end of the day, I'm I'm a raider and I'm excited to be here. I love I love my my head coach, and I love the the general manager here and everybody, I mean from the from the top to the bottom.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he just sort of questioned, like, uh, what direction the team is going in? Maybe frustration, But as he said, you know, don't take it out of context. Here. I want to be here. I'm like okay. Also, the Kelsey brothers, Jason and Travis, they have the New Heights podcast and they talked about the new kickoff rule.
Speaker 4: I just don't know what are we doing it for.
Speaker 2: Then we're just gonna have guys. Hey, I'm gonna run eighty odds for no reason, and then we're gonna start.
Speaker 4: And drive so dumb, like what, We're just gonna do everything for show.
Speaker 12: And here's the ceremonial kickoff.
Speaker 4: That's not ever, That's what I'm saying, man, It just deflates the excitement of like the first kickoff, like everybody used to.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, boom when everybody runs when the ball it says boom when it gets kicked off, and it's exciting.
Speaker 4: And then you see that first live contact.
Speaker 2: You hear it.
Speaker 1: Everybody's just running full speed at each other and you're like.
Speaker 4: Fuckball, this is a lectjack.
Speaker 13: And you're just gonna turn it into twenty five yard line.
Speaker 2: Let's get the quarterback out here. It just takes away from everything.
Speaker 4: It's just immediately deflates you.
Speaker 2: That's Jason and Travis Kelcey. Did I hear a little fritzy in there with one of the answers with one of the Kelsey brothers, Marvin played again, listen.
Speaker 4: I don't know what are we doing it for.
Speaker 2: We're just gonna have guys. Hey, I'm gonna run eighty yards for no reason, and then we're gonna start.
Speaker 4: And dry so dumb like what, We're just gonna do everything for show and here go.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's a tough word. Yeah, show, We're gonna do everything for show. Didn't he sound like Rob Wriggle, one of the Kelsey brothers. Sounded like Rob Wriggle. There, Yeah, Paul, it's a fun podcast. It sounds like it sounds like they're not wearing shirts, doesn't it. I'm ninety percent of their shirt les during this podcast, don't you.
Speaker 7: I feel bad for special teams players who lift all those weights, work out all year, they get seventeen games, less than any other sport. They're never on the field. What do you if you're a pure special teamer? What are you on the field? Fifteen plays a game, right, eighteen plays a game?
Speaker 2: Yeah? If you're a gunner, yeah, if you're on the kickoff returns, like the kickoff you can still hit people on the tame but you can't. I'm not going to tackle somebody, but I'm going to hit somebody running down to potentially tackles.
Speaker 7: Practice all week, You work out all year, and you get to not apply your craft.
Speaker 2: Yeah that stinks. Yeah, yeah they should. I see what you did. I see what you did. Yeah, No, I don't think anybody likes the fact that there's no kickoff, but it's for safety. They keep saying it's for safety. Okay, it's for safety. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but that's what that's the reality of this. They've given the illusion that there's a kickoff, but the reality is there's not. They would love nothing better the NFL then to start every drive at the twenty five yard line and no kickoff returns. They would love that, And that's probably what where we're headed. Because if you didn't have the thought of the illusion of the possibility of an on side kick, then you wouldn't have a kickoff. But you have to have that because if the team gets down by two scores, they score a touchdown and then there's going to be the on side kick, and the percentages of that are probably less than five percent that you would be able to recover an onside kick, but you have to have that illusion that's still there. Yeah, pauling, But what.
Speaker 7: Really stinks is these guys are twenty three, twenty four to twenty five years old. They're trying to get in the league. They're trying to stay in the league. They're trying to get like four or five years worth of checks and basically, you know, set themselves up for life. How do you make your name as a special team or how do you get a second contract without being able to hit anybody or actually cover the kick or return a kick.
Speaker 2: Well, you should be able to play longer because you're not going to get hit.
Speaker 7: Longer to do what like, you can't make a name for yourself to bump up to the first unit of defense or I don't know, I would be so frustrated if I was trying to.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think that. You see a lot of guys on special teams that get that opportunity to get you know, Terrell Davis got bumped up. He was his special teams guy, Rodney Harrison special teams guy. They had that opportunity. But it feels like, hey, this is your job. You're gonna act like you're gonna get un and tackle somebody, but you're not gonna tackle anybody. You'll be on extra points and punts, you'll be a gunner on the punt. Well, punt, you'll be able to hit somebody, yes, and then you're kind of just waiting for somebody to get injured. That's true. So you jump up. Yeah, and then that's your shot. That's the only way you're going to get a chance.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, the starter starter, the starting wide receiver gets hurt. Oh no, oh no, okay are you ready ready?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, you go yeah, okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: It's a crazy that's a crazy position to be in. But you probably like this guy. But boy, I would love it if you just got not like life threatening, but just out for like the years.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you're a backup quarterback, are you secretly hoping that the quarterback gets knocked out for a little bit, not not hurt, but you know, just like, hey, now he's out for the first half. Hey, get in there, chase Daniel.
Speaker 4: Yes, morph he took the words out of my mouth. If you're chased Daniel, what get out of here? My check is the same.
Speaker 2: Amount he might. Just like, he's not going to be a great quarterback anytime soon. It's not going to happen. But he's got a great opportunity to help that quarterback be great. I think the last thing you want is that guy to get hurt and you got to go in there and play. It's like, I'm good over here. I got a clipboard, I got a visor. My uniform is clean, no concussions. I don't en have to take a shower.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Let's put Chase Daniel the Hall of Fame and his bus will have a visor on it and.
Speaker 2: He's holding a clipboard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just comfortable.
Speaker 2: Play of the Day is up next. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 1: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Great.
Speaker 14: Five, all happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with me, Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 1: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 14: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 10: Oh my God, Play of the Day of the Day check this out.
Speaker 1: Robertson on the right wing side got into the slot. Here's Hans drags it saved by Hill. He's faced down, the puck is loose up top Haskin and left side shut score Pobelski.
Speaker 4: Oh what timer?
Speaker 15: Joe Pavelski kids the Dallas season alive and sends this series back to Vegas after a three to two game four wins.
Speaker 2: Courtesy of the Ticket Stars Radio Network. Joe Pavelski now has seventy three career postseason goals, most among active NFL players, including NHL players Alex Ovenchkin. That's your play of the day. Play the Day, brought to you by Discovered credit Cards. They do something really awesome at the end of your first year. They double all the cash back you've earned cash back from trips and restaurants, all doubled seet terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash match. Yeah, he's got the most postseason goals of any American US born player, and Joe Pavelski the pride of Wisconsin. I believe seventy three postseason goals. Uh Gene in San Antonio, Hi Gene, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey Dan? First time long time six foot of Burley two ninety two. Right, I want you to you could help me wish something into existence. Chris stops Persingis has needed to be a Spur for a long time. What's to say he doesn't pick up his player option. We throw a boatload of money at him. You have seven to three and seven four with winby playing next to each other, Pop gets as big and then you pick up Fred van Fleet to finish it off. You got a bigger Avery Johnson, a beggar, David Robinson a bigger Tim Duncans.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, bigger, but not better but uh no, not better.
Speaker 11: But yeah, Pop gets as big. Yeah, I mean, who's going to defend that?
Speaker 2: Uh well, you know the way they play now, those guys will probably play on the perimeter. It's a little easier to defend a big man when he's on the perimeter than it is inside. But yeah, Pop would have his two bigs again with Christopsporzingis, Fred van Vliet and Victor Won bay Yama.
Speaker 11: Sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that would be the topic today, if if I was calling into a radio show, but you know I had that plan for hour three. I respect it. Yeah, how did the Spurs get Christops Porzingis? Do you have Kriss Porzingi's contract status poem.
Speaker 7: Always Daniels always hit my fingers suld. He's about to turn twenty eight years old, in his prime. He has a player option for next year, so he could become a free agent. He could either take thirty six mil to stay in Washington or hit the free agent mark. Okay, he's a nice player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he feels like he's an eighteen to nine guy. Maybe he should be better than that. But he was like eighteen points niner rebounds.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well you know what this year and whatnot. It's Washington. Your your stats are usually pumped up when you play for Washington. It's Bradley Beal.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 7: He averaged twenty three and nine.
Speaker 4: Twenty three and nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice player. He was a thing for a while. It was I haven't heard that name in a long time. Yeah, because I thought he was going to go to the Lakers, and I think they worked him out and then they decided not to take him. Then the next got I mean, you thought, all right, the Knicks did something right, and then things went wrong and then he wanted out of there or they wanted him out of there. Matt in Wisconsin, Good morning, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey, Dan six.
Speaker 16: I have a wedding anniversary this weekend and I may have screwed up. So I need your guys's opinions or thoughts. All Right, wife and I a few weeks ago us no gifts. We have the day planned. We're going to brunch, I'm going shopping with her, and then we're going to a linery. I think she's going to spring a gift on me and I don't have anything. Do I need to go out to gift?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes yes. When you say no gifts, that may mean she's not getting you one, but you always have to get her one. And it doesn't have to be a big gift. It just has to be a thoughtful gift and a card. And don't let the card have all the words on it. You need to write some things on the card. Right. You can't just say hey, happy anniversary, love Matt. You know that's not going to work. So a small gift, thoughtful gift, and you know, maybe it's a picture of you two in a frame, something that says, hey, I'm thinking of you and I did a little work here, a little something. Yes, yes, but do not fall pray to the no no, get you better not get me something that means you get or something. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Paul Matt did say during their special day that they were going shopping. Can he find a boutique and say, hey, let's go in here and pick out whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Is that a cool move? No, I'd rather get you a gift that I know I can afford. Then you go in there and pick out whatever you want.
Speaker 7: But then that's one of those things. Oh I've done that before my wife and I usually get a pretty good reaction. Hey go in the store and go nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then you didn't think, Yeah, I have a thought.
Speaker 7: She's all cloudy in the haze of the clothes.
Speaker 2: I'd rather keep the costs down, but keep the love up, and uh, just have a nice little thought, thought provoking gift, like oh gosh, I love that picture of us. That's something simple, and I got your card.
Speaker 4: Oh look at don Oh.
Speaker 2: That's sweet what you did.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's how you stay married thirty seven years. Those are the tricks of the trade. Being thoughtful.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's it, cost down, love up?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, keep the cost down, keep the love up. Isn't that that's playlist next? Yeah, Spight's next. Coming up next, Grand Master Flash. Yeah the commodores, keep the cost down, keep the love up. L l u V. Mean you're two for two to the Yeah, yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 3: But you also run the risk if you get something that you think she wants, and what if she doesn't like it or pretends to like it. As opposed to what Pouli was saying, pick something out, even if it's going to be a little more expective than your thought, she's gonna pick something she actually really wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but pick something out doesn't show any real effort there. There's no love there. There's no love like giving her guest certificate. Yeah, yeah, I would. You know what, It's the small things, That's what she said. It's the small things that you get her and just a nice picture and a beautiful frame, just something something like that. Maybe you take you know, lyrics out of a song that she loves and you write it in there. It always reminds me of you whenever I hear this. Here's Sir mix a lot, here's Cisco still throwing the.
Speaker 3: Gucci bag on top of the nice car.
Speaker 2: Well you can you can put the picture frame in there with the card in the Gucci Bag, It's hilarious. Two live Crew songs. Yes, made me think of you. Throw that D. Yeah, throw that D. Wow Wow, speaking of, speaking of D Big D. Troy Aikman coming up Blue Bloom,