Speaker 1: I am all in more.
Speaker 2: How Let's kiss you?
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and I Hurt Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: I've been watching the Gimboot shoot.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I don't know what's going on. Amen. Can you feel me, Jackiet? Can you feel me? I don't know what's going on. Sometime I get so confused.
Speaker 3: Help me out of this gimbol run. I don't know what I'm watching half the time. No more, He'll wake me up. Give me a little tree now. I want to find my soul.
Speaker 4: Goom Hey, hey, everybody, it's me.
Speaker 1: I'm all in podcast, one of our productions iHeart Radio Media and iHeart Podcasts, and we are gonna break down summer with Amy Sugarman I Heeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: That was a very fitting moment because summer, poor, summer summer.
Speaker 1: I'm going to shock you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're gonna tell me you loved it. Oh my god, You're gonna literally tell me.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shock you. I'm ready, I gotta tell you. As a piece of comedy, I thought it was kind of brilliant because Amy, Amy, Amy, what else are they going? Here's what Dan Palladino communicated to me as an artist, He communicated to me, what else can we do with these characters? The story is virtually told, Okay, the storytell What do we do with the storytelling? Where do we take these characters? It's nine years later, Rory's thirty two. The mother daughter thing ain't working no more, right, it's not. She's thirty two.
Speaker 2: They have a big fight, so there's always a mother fight.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I'm talking about the vibe of the show. Yeah, yeah, it's like everybody's just too old now compared to what it was. So what are they gonna do?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: Right, Well, clearly they're going to get Sutton Foster a show because the who was brilliant?
Speaker 1: Who was that?
Speaker 2: Crollier is great?
Speaker 5: So you can tell that they loved her on bun Heads, right, and that Bunheads, for what reason, only goes one season. But this episode is so much Sutton Foster that there is a moment where you're like, I'm not watching Gilmore Girls because I'm literally watching Sutton Foster.
Speaker 2: But here's a Broadway show.
Speaker 1: Here's a thing. By that time, Amy and Dan had moved to New York, right, so they were having all of these theater experience. I'm sure they were seeing off Broadways. I'm sure they were seeing if the Wooster group is still around, and I don't think. I don't know if it is. They're going down to see uh, they're going downtown to see experimental theater. There's all kinds of really vital live theater going on in that city at any given time. They're going to Joe Allen's, They're going to hang out with the theater people. They're going to the public they're going to that's still around. I don't even know if it's around.
Speaker 5: They've clearly got Missus Mazel maybe in there, sure their gut because there's so many sort of undertones of what becomes Missus from this right.
Speaker 1: So here they've got these new relationships or these long standing relationships that they want to explore with Sutton and other people that pop up in the case.
Speaker 5: There's another Bunhead's actor in this, in the in the thirty something group who did go on to also be a part of Masel.
Speaker 2: So you see, like, oh wow, okay.
Speaker 1: Right, this is this is a passing of the torch in a way to an older generation of Gilmore characters and the kind of indecision. It's like the characters were having their own midlife crisis, all at the same time, and pretty much in the same way. Because everything in this episode, the world of Gilmore is falling apart. The structure that we knew, it's just all gone. It's falling apart. And if it's if it's not gone already, it's it's disintegrating before our eyes.
Speaker 2: Can we say evolving?
Speaker 1: Listen, that's a kind word for it. But look, look all of all. I wasn't captivated by the beginning. I thought this is clunky and it ain't working cool.
Speaker 2: Stuff is just brutal.
Speaker 1: But as a piece of experimental theater, it works and it's funny.
Speaker 2: So let's okay talking about the book.
Speaker 1: But we don't recognize the style, the tone, it's different, it's all different.
Speaker 5: So I love the fact that we went to the pool, right like, oh, that's awesome, something new and stars follow.
Speaker 2: I actually liked you as the lifeguard.
Speaker 5: I thought the bit about the snack shack or whatever it was called was actually funny. My beef about the pool, which of which there are many, I will.
Speaker 2: Start with two.
Speaker 5: I can't with the shaming, the body shaming. It was so inappropriate. They would never do that to Scott, they would never do that to a female character.
Speaker 1: It didn't age well. It was rough, but you know what, that's what you know, the world changed radically, and yeah, that stuff is no longer acceptable.
Speaker 5: So it wasn't true to Rory and Lorelai. They are funny and sarcastic.
Speaker 2: They are not mean, and in that they were mean, and I'm like, they would never be mean. They're not mean, and so that really.
Speaker 1: It's okay. So here here's what it seemed like to me. Okay, the first part of this episode, this ninety minutes, I break it up into three parts. It was it was, you know, it started off kind of sitcom on me because everything felt like a sitcom. It felt kind of stilted and.
Speaker 2: Sitcom be at a little camp It was kind of.
Speaker 1: Heightened to the point where it's campy and just didn't like, it's not real, okay, because you know, you know, especially the acting coming out of Alexis at the top of this brutal with this, with the Southern bell stuff, just it wasn't working okay, But as a stilted sitcom it did, so for me. It went from sitcom to like a bad sitcom, like a Broadway to you know, sort of experimental theater.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this question.
Speaker 1: Then it turned into a kind of a really compelling drama where I felt like Dan really hit his stride and he was saying what he wanted to say.
Speaker 2: It got better, I'll give you that lot better.
Speaker 1: A lot change styles. It changed styles throughout. Interesting piece of work.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yes, yes, it'll be.
Speaker 5: This will probably be one of our most interesting conversations, which is why we're starting with just us and then later on, you know, everyone's going to join as we break it down scene by scene, because I really wanted to hear what you thought. Okay, I have so many questions for you. First though, did you hate or like the musical?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy beyond description? Loved beyond description because it made me laugh out several times. I rewound some of the great lines coming out of Sutton and the other actor, the Broadway actor who was faniastic, and I just I roared at the I like, I like where Dan's head goes with his with the absurd nature of his comedy archives and the way he puts everything together. I just I found it hysterically funny. I really did.
Speaker 5: I remember watching it eight years ago and thinking this is meanful.
Speaker 2: Why am I watching?
Speaker 5: And I was a fan of Bunhead, so I knew I loved Sutton Foster and Bunhead, so I was down with Sutton Foster being you know in the show. It was way too long. I mean I watched the whole musical. It was number after number, and I was lora LILRELI is like, what is this garbage?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But what did she? She almost said the effort in the top member when Shutton turns around the first time and and we cut to Lauren, she goes, what the fuh? Okay?
Speaker 2: He was good because she was me. I was like, what is this? It just was so long, though, Scott, it was.
Speaker 1: So for me. I could have sat there all night and watched what. I loved every moment of that. I rewound it and I watched it again. No, I just appreciate how difficult it is to act and write something and direct something that's supposed to be bad but it's actually really entertaining. How are you and make it funny like that? That is I mean to me that some of the best writing Dan has executed in this entire series. It was like, yes, I mean he wrote the lyrics to those songs.
Speaker 5: The concept, now, that part's pretty amazing. But yet it's so bad and I didn't want it. But like I didn't want it.
Speaker 1: I wanted the whole thing to be that. I wish the whole thing was that. And I think the absurdity of the beginning with the Southern bell stuff got us a little lubricated for it, you know what I mean, It's like here it comes.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Of course I shouldn't have said lubricated. That is a very bad choice.
Speaker 5: First of all, I think in the first part of the show, they're at the pool and they're still sort of themselves. I think it's when we go back to the pool that they're like the Southern bells with the two kids. That was weird too, the two kids like holding the umbrellas and opening their drinks and like marching them through town.
Speaker 2: It was just extraordinarily bizarre.
Speaker 1: But what I liked about it is that is that Dan Okay, Dan had an idea. He went to the end of that idea. It's like a choice that you make in acting. If you're going to make a choice, go to the end of it. Commit to it, and that's what I appreciate. This is what I appreciated so much about this episode is that that Dan committed to the vision and sometimes it didn't work so well and other times it worked beautifully. And I love risk taking in art because that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: And it's terrible. Though it's terrible, it's not okay, So let's talk about a few more of.
Speaker 1: Art. It was. It was courageous and oftentimes brilliant.
Speaker 5: A couple of notes about the top. So we do see that Laurels reading Wild. We see that Laurel is reading Wild.
Speaker 1: Yes, we see that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, I hate the whole Wild thing. I hate that She's like, I'm going to do wild? Do Wild?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: So? So that just and so that's my cringe on the next episode.
Speaker 1: I just think that's Dan and Amy. Look, you got to break everything apart to put it back all together again, right, That's yeah, that's true. Storytell let's let's let's give you know, the audience the fear of death, that these characters are going away, and Michelle's going away, Suki's not there, everybody's losing their minds and Logan's history and they break up and it's all just coming apart at and Laurel. I won't give permission for Rory to write the book, and.
Speaker 2: It's we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: I mean it was. And you know Emily, Emily's got a new boyfriend and everybody's freaking out, and Louis, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You make a great point, right, this is the crumbling. Okay, So let's talk about a few things. First of all, I felt Jess Milow was totally underutilized in this episode.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it was. It was. It was an odd scene because and I know we're jumping around, but the thing that really jumped out at me is keep going jump around. They haven't seen each other in four years and she doesn't even get up to give him a hug.
Speaker 2: This was bizarre and reveal. I love that he suddenly is revealed, but.
Speaker 1: Where's the like, hey, friend, where's the hug?
Speaker 2: Well, and first of all, she loves him. The last we left off, she loved him so like, yeah's hug, where's the connection? That was so odd?
Speaker 1: It was and the scene itself was so awkward.
Speaker 2: And also the stars Alow Gazette is a cool thing. Right, it's always been a cool paper.
Speaker 5: There's no way like three one hundred year olds are working at the stars like the paper was cool, So it's like.
Speaker 2: Make it a little bit more cool.
Speaker 5: I do love the idea that to me, there was something there there, right, like, oh, she's going to go and run the paper and let's see what happens from that.
Speaker 2: Like, don't make it so lame anyway.
Speaker 1: Here's another thing about the rory is she's drinking like a fish. Every time you turn around, she's pouring another glass of whiskey for it herself. So these are characters we don't recognize anymore. They're going into places we don't want them to go, right, And that's part of the brilliance of it, because, man, are you're really deconstructing this show you're putting in this I mean that theater, those theater numbers were better by a magnitude than any film by Kirk and the only Apples and Oranges. That's Apples and Oranges. Well, listen, it just the amount of rehearsal that took, the years and years and years of practice from Sutton to get to that point.
Speaker 5: Fact you're coming at it from a different perspective, right, you're looking at as like this amazing production, and Dan wrote a full musical within a Gilmore Girls episode, and Sutton Foster is amazing. All of that is true. For me, it was just like, what am I watching? This is not Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 2: I don't like this. I'm totally bored by twenty minutes of a music.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that Amy and Dan felt the same way nine years later. They're artists, they're creating new things. They want to do new things, they want to challenge themselves to do new and go in different areas. Now they're doing this. They agreed to do it. So the only thing that's going to keep them interested in doing it is to experiment with these characters and see what they can do with these characters. Now, we may or may not agree or like what happened to some of the characters some of the times, but we're talking about Summer, and I'm talking about two writers who are talented beyond belief, who were pretty much given free reign, and I think they took it right up to the limit where you know, Warner Brothers or Netflix is going to say or start giving notes again and saying you guys, are going over the line here, we can't accept this kind of writing. And I think they took it right up to the edge about where they could get away with. I don't really know how much autonomy they had. I'm sure they had a lot, and that was part of their deal.
Speaker 2: Like Netflix would have let them do whatever they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of I'm kind of in that camp as well. And I think they just had they wrote the pieces that interested them and expressed the characters expressed. They expressed themselves to their characters the way they wanted to do it and what they wanted to say, characters that they felt were underdeveloped, like Paris maybe a little bit. And let's see, And isn't she going to be more fun to write for nine years later than than than Rory? Right? Or you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So there's they think they're definitely struggling with what to do with Rory.
Speaker 1: Well there's not What can you do?
Speaker 2: Right, It's just like a mess. It's kind of a mess.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, you could have done a lot of things. Have her be with Logan, that was some that would have been an option. I don't know, have her be with Logan.
Speaker 1: Now I understand why they did what they did, because there's no way after how many reunit union movies or TV films have you seen that are so dead on with what they used to do, trying to mimic what used to be, and the characters are twenty years older, they're ten years older, and it just doesn't work, and it's a really lame attempt. At least they attempted something different, you know what I'm saying. They showed artistic courage, They went to the integree in some of these characters.
Speaker 2: It brings to mind what they did with Sex and the.
Speaker 5: City, because you're the reboot is very, very different than the original, and a lot of people were like shook up by that, But I think you're correct and that it really doesn't work if you don't evolve it in some way. That being said, okay, let's sort of talk a little bit more. First of all, the logan stuff, it's compelling, but it's also like just a it's just you're right, it's so it's sort of heartbreaking and crumbling and messy.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a guy who made a choice and he put it all out there on the line, and he got rejected and he moved on with his life and.
Speaker 5: What do you think about the fact that he wants to fully have an affair with Rory.
Speaker 2: He's like, nothing has to change.
Speaker 1: They're in love. What's wrong with Yeah, but it's just it's just also mess It's but you know, do we want to sit around and watch morality all day? No?
Speaker 5: I've enjoying that storyline a lot. And actually, I will tease that my favorite part of the entire four movies is coming in the next episode with Logan anyway, But it's just messy.
Speaker 2: It's heartbreaking. Rory is a mess, right.
Speaker 5: I did find it though in the in the opening scene when everyone's like, welcome back, welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm not back. I'm not back, like you're back.
Speaker 1: Rory, and yeah, that got a little old they went.
Speaker 2: I still found that amusing.
Speaker 1: I mean, the first three scenes it was all about I'm back, I'm not back, I'm not back. Okay, we got it, we got it.
Speaker 2: Right, and then so what did you Okay, so let's talk about April. So April, what do you think about.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: You know, look again again, I think she's free.
Speaker 1: Great, she's great, she's awesome actress, her comedic timing, is great. She was funny. Her freak out in the bedroom again, it was like, this is where they're taking this character. This is a little it still doesn't feel. It's odd to see these characters who are so good at wearing that mask in life but then sort of being loose and free around each other. Everybody seems to be breaking down. It's like all of a sudden, she's in a room and she comes in. She confesses, I didn't smoke pod. I tried it once and.
Speaker 5: This is the episode. Okay, so you know how to right, you know how in a rom comm it's like.
Speaker 2: Oh, here's our pretty cool couple and we love them.
Speaker 5: And then always in act to you like there's a catastrophe and there they're torn apart, you know, and then the third act is like will they find their.
Speaker 2: Way back to each other? Of course they do.
Speaker 5: We are in the crumbling here, right, because Rory's crumbling, lorelies really crumbling, Emily's crumbling. Logan is not crumbling, but Logan and Rory are crumbling. April is sort of going through her thing. You're pretty steady in that you're not falling apart, but everything's sort of falling apart around you.
Speaker 2: So this is the.
Speaker 5: Episode if you looked at it holistically, of the four, this is definitely like the plummet I think.
Speaker 2: How you watch it too, Like.
Speaker 5: I think maybe there was so much plummeting in this, Like I really wanted Milo to be to suggest to say, why did you drop out of Yale? You know what I mean, like that kind of thing, like what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Like i'n't really thinking. I don't think. I don't think that needed three or four scenes in of those two having intimate conversations.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing. Why did we not get that we got we.
Speaker 1: Can't we can't get that right away in some superficial one scene and they're drinking and thanks for lunch and you know, and then he goes and tosses Luke's hat off his head. It just it it was just an appearance to to you know, it was a cameo, that's all. Yeah, it was just a cameo. It wasn't developed. They didn't, I get. I don't know if they wrote anything. You know, I think I do remember doing more scenes with him in this. I guess that's in the last one.
Speaker 5: So so we're only focusing on it, right now with what we've seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they just want to introduce them and you know, reintroduce them and all that. But yeah, again, I will say this again as separate it from think about it like it's the first time you've ever seen been exposed to the show. You haven't seen any episodes, you haven't seen any of the series. You just flipped it on and here's this thing and you're watching it. I'm telling you it stands on its own, It can stand up by itself as a really good piece of comedy. And there's some really great drama in there. And if you didn't know what was going on, if you didn't have any idea what was happening with these characters prior and you turn this on, you would be entertained.
Speaker 5: It would be saying you have you watched Fall and Winter or are you literally just watching Summer as a solo episode?
Speaker 1: Just like flipping around rando, there you go, boom, Oh what's this? Yeah I heard about this show. Let's see let's see Summer. Boom. And you know, you watch it with your friends or your your wife or your husband or whomever, and it's entertaining as hell.
Speaker 2: Man, I stop judging it.
Speaker 1: Against the series because it's not fair and it makes.
Speaker 5: Me nice, and I'm fully judging it against the series and the characters, and I'm watching like people I know and that are my people, like love, and I'm just like, what is happening? I mean, you're right in that this is that part where everything falls apart, because even Michelle leaving and obviously that's upsetting to Lorlai, and Emily's going through so many changes, and like.
Speaker 1: Look, there's a natural inclination for any fan base or for anybody right to reject something that isn't familiar to them. Like I remember when Sylvester Stallone wanted to your drama and people were like no. His agents are like, no, don't do that, Please, don't do that. And he wanted to work with Robert de Niro. So he did that film with Robert de Niro and he was really great in it.
Speaker 2: By the way, you can argue Rocky as a drama in my opinion.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying that's that's that's a you know, playing the hero character, playing you know, the formulaic type of film where the hero wins and he goes through all the struggles of hell, and you know that kind of thing. So it's like the fan base doesn't want to see these characters in unfamiliar settings, which this whole thing was unfamiliar settings and acting in unfamiliar ways. They don't want to see if they don't want to accept it. I get that. I just wanted to. I just wanted to enjoy my hour and a half and not judge it against the series. And it was very freeing and very liberating, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. So I would ask fans to go back and watch it in that context and see if you can get something out of it, just for it's hard to forget about these characters and what came before. Just try to say, oh, well, I'm gonna give us a chance, this is my virgin view of it, and enjoy it, because I did. I really enjoyed this ride.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess if I could have watched it and just been like, I just think it's impossible to not care about these characters.
Speaker 2: I care about it.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: I guess you've done that.
Speaker 1: I've let it go, and I don't want to place judgment on I want. I want. What's thrilling to me is an artist taking chances, and Dan took a lot of chances in this. He risked everything and I appreciate that, and I think that takes a lot of courage and a lot of creative energy. And I think that the end result for me was, Wow, what a pair of balls on this guy? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, yeah, But I did not get that same thing because I'm not like wow, I'm just like, Okay, I just watched twenty minutes of Sutton Foster, and I like Sutton Foster. I love Younger. I didn't particularly love her in this. I loved her and bun Heads Turn Younger.
Speaker 1: She had a great scene with Laurla waiting for her outside.
Speaker 2: The Smoke's fantastic.
Speaker 1: She's a great actress. You could see you could see how good an actress she is in that scene, and you can see how good a singer and dancer she is. And she's funny as hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course she's all those things.
Speaker 1: But I didn't She's like, she's like a triple threat singing, dancing, acting. I mean, it's like those are rare, and I now I can see why Amy Once is writing a whole Broadway show for her.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, of course it's brilliant.
Speaker 1: She's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yes, she totally is. She's she is.
Speaker 1: The art form itself as a way to deliver comedy is probably unmatched. Okay. It's hype in theater with music and and the and and the historical perspective and and the comedy injected into Dan's writing, and these songs and these lyrics in this show had me in stitches. I mean I was roaring with laughter.
Speaker 5: I think this was the like beta test for what they did with Missus Mazel, because I actually think that is brilliant and they did get it right. This just feels all kinds of weird to me.
Speaker 1: You know what it is? Dan's an iconoclast. I think at their soul at heart, Amy and Dan aren't iconoclasts, Okay, And.
Speaker 2: I don't really know what that word means. I'm not gonna lie, I don't really know what that word means. Does that work mean.
Speaker 1: They like to tear down idols?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay?
Speaker 1: Icons? Right, they're iconoclastic?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, yeah, I mean you see that in some of the pop culture too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, that's what that's what it is. It's got that edge in that bite.
Speaker 2: That is what.
Speaker 5: I think they missed it a hint on this because the pool scenes are mean.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit too mean. So yes, I get it, they tried it could kind of be funny.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I get And nobody else has a right to deconstruct or tear down monuments unless they created them. And they created them. Okay, they created them, and now they're just trying to find other dimensions of this show to explore with these characters, other dimensions of these characters to explore, and they just did their thing. It might have pissed me off a little bit, you know, seeing Luke dumb down like that.
Speaker 2: They tried that brings us to that Luke.
Speaker 1: At least they tried something. They tried something.
Speaker 2: What did you feel about Luke in this episode?
Speaker 1: I thought he was Luke.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Yeah, he was wasted a little bit. I just didn't feel like there was enough. It was just not enough for me.
Speaker 5: I was sort of like, he's just sort of bouncing off Laura is sort of imploding.
Speaker 1: But if they're if Amy and Dan or Dan are are not inspired to write for Luke in summer, how can that You can't force them to do it? Nobody can force them to do it. They wanted to write or Dan wanted to write for Sutton Foster, he wanted to write for Laurla. He wanted to write, you know, the focus is on these uh again.
Speaker 2: Is pretty much still Laurel.
Speaker 1: I right, it's the generations, right, it's it's grandma and mother and daughter's that's what they're focusing.
Speaker 5: Yes, that is correct, and I'm okay with that. I don't mind seeing Emily's journey. I actually was not as off put by Emily having the sort of boyfriend, and I actually enjoyed them imploding about it because LOURAI, because that is what she would do, That is what a daughter would do.
Speaker 2: It feels a little too soon. It's like, oh God, what's happening.
Speaker 5: Your whole life's disrupted, which is also why she's imploding. Like she's not just imploding over like Michelle leaving or Luke.
Speaker 2: It's all of it.
Speaker 5: It's losing her father, it's a relationship with her mother, it's Rory, Like I don't I frankly think she's super concerned that, Like Rory's so not finding her way right, like Rory's coming home, Like even how calm she is about the logan thing.
Speaker 2: It's like she's just sort of like shutting down.
Speaker 1: The bigger the obstacle, the more thrilling it is to watch somebody come back from it, right.
Speaker 5: So we're so is your intention by saying that, like we're gearing up for the finale, which will be Fall, and we kind of had to have this to get to Fall.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's right, because it's for them. It's a four part opus, right, it's.
Speaker 2: Four parts for them, right right, right.
Speaker 1: And they have to get to the end of it.
Speaker 5: Do you think the way to watch this, if someone could, would be to take six hours and just sit there and watch it as a whole, because is the problem like that we went away for a week and then I watched Summer and I'm like, eh, which is like because it was bingeable, right, So I bet you super fans just cranked it out like it was one big six hour marathon.
Speaker 1: M you know. Yeah. I mean, if you go to see Beethoven's Ninth, you don't leave, and then tomorrow we'll come back and we'll hear the coral part of it. You know, it's a lot, that's a big chunk. It's six hours a big chunk of time. But I mean people do it, and they did it on this. They binged this. Six hours was nothing to them because they'd binge it for you know.
Speaker 5: I bet you a lot of people match hours at a time sharp, yeah, or over two days. They might have watched three hours on Saturday, three hours on Sunday, and they had the whole thing. I think I watched it fairly quickly. I didn't take a lot of time when I watched it the first time. I'm taking more time this time, which may be why summer.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, and I think if I ever find six hours that I can afford, I will sit down and watch this back to back, just because I'm fascinated.
Speaker 2: It, right, Because then you really, I'm really.
Speaker 1: Fascinated with it now, because look, at the end of the day, Amy and Dan have to entertain themselves. If they don't like it, if they're not engaged, if they're not passionate about what they're putting down on the page, you ain't going to make it on the page. And this is what made it on the page, right, This is what they wanted to say, and I respect it. I and I just think you get to see you get to see why the show was so great in the series because of the talent.
Speaker 2: They're so clever.
Speaker 5: I respect you respecting it, like I like that you like it I and it's making any sort of question things, but I still am going to stay strong on this is not my favorite.
Speaker 2: Like it's mean.
Speaker 5: I do not like I don't know why they're acting like Southern bells with like two children, Like that's weird walking through town, it's weird.
Speaker 2: The meanness.
Speaker 5: It was not crazy about the the Milo I was not crazy about and that the Broadway Show or Stars Hollow Show was so long, and I like Lorali was like I don't get it, Like I didn't get it at all. I was like, I don't even understand what this is. Like if I pretend I just watched only Sutton Foster, I would be like, I totally I don't even know what that was about, Like what was that about.
Speaker 1: It was the history of Stars Hollow and Song, and it was Pilgrims, and then it was the Revolutionary War, and then it was the Industrial Lege and then it was the seventies. It was fantastic. I didn't follow so great. It was so wacky and great. I was so happy.
Speaker 2: I did love that, Laurel. I didn't like it, and everyone else loved it, and I know, I know that it is kind of amusing, but I didn't get it.
Speaker 5: I am lorrili because I was like, I don't I don't even understand what's happening.
Speaker 2: What is this so bad?
Speaker 1: Bad?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, no, come on? Some of those lines in there that they were brother and sister and.
Speaker 2: I didn't get it. I couldn't even really follow it.
Speaker 1: And it's not illegal yet.
Speaker 5: I didn't follow any of this. You're smarter than me because I was so like, I don't get it. I couldn't even really hear it. I was like, I don't understand what they're talking about. I'm not following a story. I'm not getting a storyline. I'm not even I couldn't tell you what was in any of those songs.
Speaker 1: Listen. There's nothing funnier than bad poetry and a context or a bad song. Remember, remember Okay. This reminded me of that film Arthur where Dudley Moore falls in love with Derek and in order to find out where bo Derek went on her honeymoon, Yeah, he visits the priest.
Speaker 2: I remember that I've been you know.
Speaker 1: And Dudley Moore places a hit songwriter right and and the priest gets all excited. He goes, you know, I'm a bit of a writer. He sings in that song like my heart is a thumping thing.
Speaker 2: You're into you like this stuff? This is all I can tell you.
Speaker 5: I've watched this now twice and the only takeaway I get from the Broadway show is sort of sutt and Foster like, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no, I'm sudden Foster, like that's all I see here, Like nothing lands on me other than like more sudden Foster.
Speaker 1: But can you listen to the lyrics of the songs?
Speaker 2: I couldn't hear it. And I don't mean I couldn't hear it like my ears work. I couldn't hear it.
Speaker 1: Like I just was like, I don't go back and just watch that stuff again and listen to the lyrics of the song.
Speaker 2: I'll try, I'll try Miracle.
Speaker 5: I was pleasantly surprised by the therapist being a good singer. That was random, the therapist and the one. Okay, so all right, so so enough for today, So everybody listening, We're gonna continue by bringing in the crew in the next episode, and and we'll break it down see by scene.
Speaker 2: But I just felt like it was so bizarre. Oh yes, Scott take us Out was some bad song.
Speaker 1: I appreciate him.
Speaker 2: Valatino, I didn't get it at all, experimenting around when these characters we love so much. All I saw was Sutton Foster.
Speaker 1: Come wake me up now? Why such a mess?
Speaker 2: Why won't loget and break up with the fiance and marry my girl?
Speaker 5: Why is Loralai doing wild? Nothing is more annoying to me.
Speaker 1: Amy's still confused.
Speaker 2: She don't know what. I'm just up. I did not get it at all.
Speaker 1: Come on, help me lo, help me raise an so she can see the last.
Speaker 5: Am I super stupid because I did not get it at all.
Speaker 2: It's not stupid, will listeners, It's just.
Speaker 1: You weren't in the mood and we gotta wait.
Speaker 2: Haven't been in the mood at whiskey.
Speaker 6: To us.
Speaker 5: I do think Emily's boyfriend is kind of cute.
Speaker 2: What boyfriend, dude that drives the mercedes. I don't know if he's her boyfriend. He's great, he's great. No, I like that guy.
Speaker 1: And there's a funny bit between them when they got to the funeral and and Lord and they were walking. Ray's gonna stay in the car, and.
Speaker 5: It was fune, can you sing us out? Send your cards and letters? Oh, if your cards and letters come in.
Speaker 2: All we'll rate this in the next episode.
Speaker 1: And that's going to George. Let's fans a print, he new cons and let it come home. We appreciate you all.
Speaker 2: Now, thank you to munch Chip a crew of one.
Speaker 1: Am a sugar Moon.
Speaker 2: You gotta help it now, see you later.
Speaker 1: Remember we and I I'm all in.
Speaker 6: Stay safe, everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.