Speaker 1: Look mare, Oh, I see you. Look over there is that culture.
Speaker 2: Yes, goodness lost culture ding dong los culture is calling back and back in tact tactile position talk to us about the mozzarellistick number crock that you were working. So. I don't know why this was the answer to how I should end my night. But I get home, it's three thirty in the morning, I get stoned and order Mozzarelli sticks.
Speaker 1: Bad because I know I have to wake up.
Speaker 2: But let's say ten to sort of mentally prepare and you know, cleanse really physically prepare for the podcast today. And last night I'm ordering my Monzrelli sticks and I see it says six monzarel sticks, and.
Speaker 1: In my mind that's not enough.
Speaker 2: And then this morning, when everything sort of settles, you think you didn't need one.
Speaker 3: That's the devil's math. That's sixth with Mozzarelli sticks. But I feel you, Dick, feels like nothing right. I think six is more than enough. Well, yeah, I order Mozzarelli sticks. This is the last time order monster six was at Alma draft House what watching The Boy, The Boy and the Heron, and I had to leave in the middle because of work.
Speaker 1: Call of a work call? Is that what you call violent?
Speaker 3: And it was not?
Speaker 2: What because I know you the second we both went in here today we both ran to the bathroom, and I know what that was.
Speaker 3: It was a work call. Okay, this is all to say I got six and I only finished four.
Speaker 2: That's a huge brag and an insult to me. No, it was ravenous last night for them. But last night was very celebratory. It really was.
Speaker 3: It's very nice. I did great.
Speaker 1: What an unbelievable performance.
Speaker 3: She had, very very fun.
Speaker 2: I mean I think about between twelve and fifteen people said this, and it just kind of kept getting kicked around.
Speaker 1: But yes, this is like the Bell House. This is like the Bellhouse. But it really was. It felt like a celebration.
Speaker 3: Was very nice. We made it proud of her. Now, what was your review of the Countess Cabaret.
Speaker 2: I'm still I saw the sheiks not because not necessarily because of the talent, but she was great. The Countess Luanne fifty four below was she certainly has star quality, but there's something that happens where she steps on stage and sort of everyone looks at each other and you go, we're getting blacked out. We're all drinking so much tonight.
Speaker 3: I asked you, was it like going to the Disney World character breakfast?
Speaker 1: It was not unlike that.
Speaker 3: It was like seeing Goofy come out while you're eating a Mickey shaped pancake.
Speaker 2: Let's say Minnie Mouse, Let's become Minnie. They're not saying Goofy comes out.
Speaker 3: Okay, no, oh no, no, no, it's not what I was saying, Lou. If you're watching, if you're.
Speaker 1: You're just saying, Lou had the impact of Goofy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, not anything to do with the air get sucked out rundred percent. Like when Goofy walks in the room. It's like Nicole Kimmen and the Chanel number five commercial by Baz Luhrmann. It's just like, you know, you know the commercial I'm talking about. I think so speaking of fragrances, I want you to smell me right here and tell me what it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, go you know what this is? By Rado.
Speaker 1: No, it's acts.
Speaker 2: Oh so I have yesterday I said about one. I'm like, I have no deal to New York. I don't know what happened. My New York apartment has no deal, and my mother was like, I want to get you something for Christmas. I said, don't, I don't want anything. She goes, Okay, I'll get you a bunch of little small things. Ten axe Deordorance, which is both a trigger to like high school locker room and also quite out of fashion.
Speaker 3: But that is like the timeless, enduring thing about suburban life is that you're never more than half a mile away from it from.
Speaker 2: An axe body spray, especially from Long Island. That's like a big culture axe body spray. Yes, and so I do. I am walking around and it's sort of like a little bit of having a little bit of how I am a little triggered.
Speaker 3: But also it's horny. It's horny.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I wanted you to smell me to get your horned up for the episode. Speaking of getting horned up, speaking of horny, Speaking of horny, I think everyone's horny for well, first of all, Restless Leg Tour.
Speaker 3: We're talking eleven days at the Beacon, eleven days at the Bed's at the Yeah, I love my surprise. I'm like, well, of course, well of course, and it's the Beacon and New York. I think they're all sold out. But well yeah, kind of elbow your way in. Are you going to sign the wall?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and I mean obviously if you guys want to come.
Speaker 2: Oh eleventh, I've been through the nineteenth.
Speaker 4: Nineteenth thank you for doing the math real quick.
Speaker 3: I did the math and eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, now we have to officially bring around because that can't be the entrance. Hold on, hold on it really so weak?
Speaker 3: No, no, not week Girls have us coming back on Netflix?
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks fucking god, because I had been wondering about that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's coming. Oh, March is going to be a big month for Age for Humanity and uh, Mean Girls the musical of course the movie. Oh we're not calling it the.
Speaker 1: Musical and no, we're calling it Mean Girls twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: We're calling you about it.
Speaker 1: I said ten times, I said, it's called me Girls.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four, Mean Girls. Eighth note in the negative space where the A is.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's funny this person created and start our favorite movie and our favorite show. Yeah, and I'm not even talking about Saturday Night Live, which also is in the top two a favorite show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thirty Rock, Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine just go back in time and tell us in twenty sixteen when we started this that Tday is going to be on the podcast.
Speaker 3: So Tina fe is gonna be in the podcast. You know what I thought in the shower this morning, I thought, what did you think in the shower where you do your backside? This is where this I thought. Worldwide pants took down all of the tinfa on Letterman interviews and those were my fucking comfort watches in college.
Speaker 2: I told you, though, that you could find it somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Seth lied liar.
Speaker 4: Do they take them down?
Speaker 3: I think I think a letterman wants to protect his content. I don't know. I see I can't possibly begin to understand. And then also, I mean so many things. You love her? You really love this person so much, don't you. I'm talking to you, the Surroyal you, the Royal you. Everyone.
Speaker 2: Welcome to TFA.
Speaker 4: Gentleman and the Crew.
Speaker 2: By the way, this episode is directed by Christopher Nolan. It's Oppenheimer the film The Crazy.
Speaker 4: A Lady needs a Lot of Lights and.
Speaker 1: The Gentleman a lot of Lights blow out the Countess Loo.
Speaker 4: From Ladies Please.
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with the Countess lou Yes?
Speaker 4: That is that is the original sort of Real Housewives New York era. That was my era. I once chased Countess Lunn down the street on the Upper West Side because I was so I was like, she's on the Upper west Side, started from the restaurant West They used to be there, and I was like, and I basically was like, I was like Countess and I was like, I work at NBC two, worked for University.
Speaker 2: We brushed elbows at the upfront. So wait, when you were watching Roney, like, were you were you sort of were you sort of like I'm Bethany, Like I'm like.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, no, I'm not Bethany, no way, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I used to watch the season one. I used to really love, like Season one. You guys were probably in middle school because it was before nobody was aware, no one was like working the camera yet nobody was, And it was just really I just wanted to see people's apartments.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 4: I wanted to see their apartments and make judgments. And I didn't need them to be fighting about stuff. No, I just wanted And so who was it was? You know who I was obsessed with at that time was Alex mccorky.
Speaker 2: Essentially, it had the show gone in a different direction, which was we just watched these people live their crazy lives and it wasn't like a conflict in the show. Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally because people gravitated towards you know.
Speaker 3: That's so funny though, because I think Architectural Digest home tours have like scratched the itch or like taken over that little fascination we have of like people's homes and like that's fully been supplanted, right and just.
Speaker 4: Be like just go and look in apartments. But remember when she was redoing her Booklyn Townhouse and Jill's Aren came over and she's like, we're restoring this Spanish when she was like, honey, you don't have to save everything that's not a good bands like Jill's Jill Zaren Almost Yeah, who else wasn't.
Speaker 2: That original Ramona No I just recently picked for some reason. This was on. It was the fashion show episode where Ramona walked with those crazy eyes and Jill is just dragging and just like killing it in the front row. Yeah, commedically, comedically totally, it was really on fire. Yeah, they kind of buy like their second season, so this was not the phenomenon back then either. But it wasn't this thing where like they saw themselves for the first time on TV and then they got the work done, just like facially.
Speaker 4: Happens to everyone. I mean, you see yourself on TV and you go, oh no, breakdown, Oh no, what are we gonna do about this?
Speaker 1: In my face? All the time people see my face as that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of universal, do you have any thoughts about this epic universe announce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we know you're a Disney gay like us.
Speaker 4: Well listen, I'm gonna check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My instinct, my gut instinct is oh honey, it's SNL MAD TV. There's the taste maker at the core defines the thing, right, and so Walt Disney is.
Speaker 3: But I'll go, yeah, yeah, you're going to be there, But I'll go and we all love we like mat TV.
Speaker 4: And there are amazing things that mattieving, amazing, hilarious people came out of that TV. But there just wasn't that unifying.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, totally, Well what if I told you this?
Speaker 2: So one of the announcements they said was that there's going to be a Frankenstein ride and the star of the pre show. Is Victoria Frankenstein the great grand daughter of Doctor.
Speaker 4: But is that the Diablo Cody movie that's I conflated this last week.
Speaker 2: Okay, a lot of Girl Boss Frankenstein's happening right now in the culture. We have to differentiate.
Speaker 4: Universal is trying to use that understanding, the Universal Monster's catalog and fun ways, and I'm enjoying that.
Speaker 2: If you went in there and said I'll play Doctor Victoria Frankenstein, you, first of all, you book.
Speaker 4: Media seventeen shows a week, seventeen nine minute shows a week, every.
Speaker 3: Day, you wouldn't even do the pre show. I do a cue.
Speaker 4: That's mean a c I mean listen is in my heart of hearts and my holding out for a Disney queue. Of course, did I at one point try to volunteer me and Amy Poehler to do Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton for the Hall of Presidents And they were like, we're good, Oh my, well, I only volunteered it to my friend who's like the guy, and I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It's a sam.
Speaker 1: A huge part of that makes me so happy we went there. But he loves you.
Speaker 4: I love him.
Speaker 2: I know you can tell it a special relationship.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: The Disney relationship is a special relationship. And that's actually really Coach number eighty eight.
Speaker 3: The Disney relationship is a special relationship. God blessed Sam because Sam took us on guard to the Alexy Cosmic rewind no less than seven times.
Speaker 4: Which is not medically advisable. No you, yes, it's beautiful, but I manage were like, I can do it once. Also, you don't not see a lot of protein spills outside garden and just for clarity, that is vomit.
Speaker 2: Well, I've become that girl. That's like when the part of the ride that makes people nauseous comes up, I'm like, keep looking at the planet. Keep looking at the planet. Don't look to the side. You're gonna suck yourself up. You have your strategy, Yeah, I have my strategy. Yeah. Well I knew this about all of us, that we shared this, and that's why I bring it up. And that's why now correct me if I'm wrong. You've been on the Avatar flight of Passage r of course, don't you think that should be him in the pre show.
Speaker 3: Just explaining what the band ties are.
Speaker 2: You have the scientific gravitas to carry that pre show through.
Speaker 3: I don't want us to fully raise the middle finger to that guy.
Speaker 2: It's not about him. This is about you. This is about what's best for you to be in that pre show. He defined the.
Speaker 4: Guy that c and I don't know if this is a true story or a story that I made up for myself. Either way, but I feel like someone else was supposed to shoot that and then and something went wrong and they're like, you have to do it.
Speaker 2: You made that up.
Speaker 3: I think you made that up.
Speaker 4: Here's well, no, Sam.
Speaker 2: Isn't it great to have a resource? The Disney relationship is a special relationship. You go to that person for information like this.
Speaker 4: Can I tell you a deep Disney nerdery thing that if it interests you, I could try to get you in on this.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So have you ever done a voice at Pixar?
Speaker 1: A voice at Pixar?
Speaker 4: No, that's an oversight that needs to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, Okay, I think I got.
Speaker 4: Lucky enough to do on Ana. But so the guy Pete doctor who runs Pixar, super nice guy, legend, the kindest, loveliest man, and he invited me in on this super nerdy thing that sometimes they do where they have they I guess they used to do it in persons during the pandemic, they were doing it over zoom where they just have literally like someone found a case of like weird b roll building the park footage and they just play it like they haven't seen it, and it's just like from like nineteen seventy one, we're building the Haunted mansion and it's just like raw footage of nothing but like guys working, and then there's experts on who like they're all these imagineers who are talking about what it is and then they just drink really and it's amazing. And because it happens on the West coast, if you're watching it East coast, it's like start it's like two in the morning and you put your laptop and your Wow. But it's so cool.
Speaker 2: That was my dream, like until I found out it was mostly science and math and yeah, actually there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of engineers. Otherwise the people fly.
Speaker 1: Off and exactly.
Speaker 3: I need to reconnect with Sam oh Sam was lovely. Sam was really well as a.
Speaker 2: Tour guide at Disney who is an icon and a legend, and this is a big shout out to him.
Speaker 4: He's a great American.
Speaker 3: He's a great, great American. And then he said he was coming to see you, and Amy was it.
Speaker 4: He came to d C, came the first weekend have the show. Has been that the shows are so fun. I do hope you'll come to the Begon.
Speaker 2: I want to come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, please come, But was like, I I'm coming. We have the best time. It's the two of us. We take you on our little journey if we can, and we usually always have like one special friend show up and we go to these cities. People are so lovely to come see us. And then we stay at a nice hotel. And I've said this before, but it is like we get up. Like the other night, I really did text Amy before a show and I was like, right before we went out, she was on the other side of sage. Was like, I'm getting excited about going to sleep because we do like we have so much fun. Like I'm also learning, like I love the part where we do the show. And I was like, I guess some people go on tour because they want to party after the show or whatever. They want to hook up. And I was like, I like the part where we do the show and sometimes if we have a new thing and it works. I'm like that works, yeah, And then I go home and I wash my face and I like stand in silence facing a wall like I'm like a little.
Speaker 2: Like you let yourself like charge.
Speaker 4: And I'm like satisfied.
Speaker 3: But I think this is just a function of like time. And I will say for Matt and I, it's exceptional if we go out after the show.
Speaker 2: I mean even yesterday, like we were in Bowen's dressing room, like and Bowen comes in, He's like, all right, so the after party and we were all were like at the same time, like we don't know, it might be a quick drink.
Speaker 3: They were hung over from lou An Good.
Speaker 4: That's the difference. You still look really good.
Speaker 3: I put on concealer because today because the camera is because I'm just away from people.
Speaker 2: I love it. If I knew how to do my own concealer, I would do it. Is it as simple as that kind of.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I tried. I tried to do my make up today, and I probably will see this and be like, oh, it was like coming from a matine of playing missus love it. I'm always trying to use I didn't get to my husband went, I didn't get see it. I was touring, all right. I try to use that rare beauty blush, which is but it's so pigmented that then I do it and I'm like, I'm either fucking great.
Speaker 1: Or have you been?
Speaker 2: Have you checked in on the new Feud?
Speaker 4: I haven't watched it yet, but I think I will. I don't watch every part of the the Murphy Verse, but that one I'm like, you might get me. I do feel I was like, okay, the pr is over time because there's so many articles now about I was like, are we this is really what? We're this top of top of mine in every paper? But yeah, it does seem interesting.
Speaker 2: It is a lot of fun to watch just because of the like atmosphere of it all. I will say the entire story of it is just well, you know, Truman Capoti befriended these women and then he wrote an article and they never spoke to him again. And that's literally kind interested to see how it's gonna be a whole limited series because even in the first episode, you get it like they're not talking to him anymore, right, But then I'm thinking, like, maybe every episode will be like a bottless episode and be getting more into the specifics of who these women were, which is going to be great. I need more Callista though, at this moment.
Speaker 3: I got three different line rates of Demi Moore calling Tom Hollander venomous.
Speaker 2: She with her whole chest gets to say a slur and it's really fun to watch her just let it rip.
Speaker 1: They really let dem go for it, and she goes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I loved it. Well, I do you think that is? You know that he is giving these actresses like he's making people's phones ring who maybe their phone wasn't ringing them.
Speaker 2: Molly Ringwold's like her phone rang off the hook for this.
Speaker 4: And you know what Molly Ringold has been doing in the meantime.
Speaker 3: Translating French book, translating French yes book, Yes Lie with me. It's it's a really sad gay French novel.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's really smart, she's very I believe that. No, she's incredible, she's a very she's a great American.
Speaker 1: Well, one of my.
Speaker 2: Obsessions at this moment is Chloe seventy now that this has all been happening, and apparently Chloe simply broke down on the day where she had to shoot with Molly Ringwold because that was how much Yeah, I don't know that. That's uh huh. Chloe, who's like the coolest like you would imagine, it's like very unbothered about the whole thing. Actually in interviews, like I watched her on Jimmy the other night and she's very like like y'all y' she's like like everybody, Oh, I cry, I.
Speaker 3: Break down to Molly Ringwold just like you, me and everyone else. That's the shared I guess American experience. I'm kind of tying this back to a national sort of narrative.
Speaker 2: Well, she also was like they did this thing because like you know, she's obviously a fashion icon Chloe, and they were like looking back at all of her iconic looks because she was like that she really was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she had nothing nice to say about anything she ever wore.
Speaker 2: She's like, oh this, no, this, no, this no. And I was like, maybe that's what makes her such an icon.
Speaker 4: She also needs to keep looking. She didn't. She didn't just find a uniform and stick with it. Never satisfied.
Speaker 3: Never have we found our uniforms? This is your uniform? Sure, okay, this is a cream collar long sleeved collar, a kit Is it a sweat? Is it it's a sweat?
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: So but that's I don't know if this is the uniform there. It's the glasses, it's the I mean, yeah, that's it. You've changed your glasses though last year. Yeah, yeah, yesterday, I had my contacts in for the show and then they had to audition different pairs of glasses for the sketch. And then one of them had an actual prescription in them, and I was like, oh, this one has a prescription in them. And then my addresser Auder was like laughing, and she was like, Keenan earlier had the same thing happened to him, and he said, there's medicine in the.
Speaker 4: Medicine.
Speaker 2: Medicine by the way, Keenan Thompson.
Speaker 3: And I'm not and this is perfect, but this is truly like a an apropos thing for me this week where he was up till four am with us shooting the sketch, just rallying everybody, keeping the morale up, like getting everybody looked like like out of like the four am overnight shoot like Doldrums or whatever.
Speaker 1: Team captain vibes what a treasure.
Speaker 4: And again, as we continue to make the list of great Americans, who do we have? So far we have Sam Loomis Keenan who was somebody in between him.
Speaker 2: Chloe.
Speaker 4: I mean yes, yes, Top twenty, Top twenty New Yorker.
Speaker 3: With Hamilton up there with Hamilton. And do you have any thoughts about what she has said? I guess in a Rolling Stone thing about how New York is all Lululemon and dogs, too many dogs. But you're as a recent dog owner, yes, what do you make of this?
Speaker 2: Like? And as someone who's been in York for a.
Speaker 4: Minute, yes, are there too many dogs?
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't noticed anything.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of dogs. I mean I don't go I don't go to like the dog park and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I have people that.
Speaker 4: My dogs poop inside every single day.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Oh they're a mess consistent places.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I I'm like, guys, I'm I'm the Queen of Versailles. You can't have this, and the dogs are like, we haven't watched that.
Speaker 3: No, have you watched the series Queen?
Speaker 4: No, someone just told me about this. I will watch it. I did recently rewatch.
Speaker 2: The original excellent movie.
Speaker 4: Fascinating incredible.
Speaker 3: The series is a little bit of a cheapened version, I'll say. I'll say that on the record.
Speaker 4: But because like all documentaries, not all, but a lot of great documentaries, it's they started thinking it was gonna be about one thing and it changes. That usually is exciting.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yes it was not. Like the most famous example of that is probably The Jinks, right.
Speaker 3: Is the Jinks.
Speaker 4: The Jinks and also Capturing the Freedman's which have you ever seen that?
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever seen it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for first of all, because it's supposed to be about this guy who's a party clown, and then it turns out that he has his dark family history and they follow that. But you know that Silly Billy the party clown used to play the SNL holiday party up when seventeen. He would come and do like party clown stuff, like when I was a writer, when like Norm McDonald's son would be there. So I saw the dog and I was like, that's, oh my god, that's Silly Billy. Oh no, Silly Billy's family. No, he was not.
Speaker 3: What do you mean he did the party?
Speaker 4: There used to be a little you know what it was. They would have when the tree lighting was happening, they'd have bagels and stuff and they would bring their kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would bring your kids to the people.
Speaker 4: Would bring you know why, Becauselauren's kids were little.
Speaker 3: That's why there were no children about. It's just the bagels. And it's like the meeting's happening, like your sketch might get picked, it might not. It's like there's a lot of weird tens. But then the lighting is always a beautiful moment.
Speaker 4: It's a nice moment. But we were taught. You asked about New York and has Does neew York have too many dogs? Probably? Does it have too much lulu? I mean it's a mix in my neighborhood, it's a mix of like there's uh lulam and then everything else is vacant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess most of the time where it's just all dogs. And so I just kind of accepted that me not having one is I'm wrong and I should get one. I also like, now I'm starting to feel a little guilty that I don't have one. Do you remember when I hosted that dog grooming camp? I hosted a dog grooming competition show called howked Dog h a U t r excellent. And there was a day. There was a day where it was like rescue dog day and they made me hold one of these dogs and give a direct to Kevira like don't you want to save a life?
Speaker 1: Like how would you feel to know that you could have saved a life?
Speaker 2: Right? I didn't. And then I like handed the dog back and I was like okay later and then I felt bad. It was like, we need.
Speaker 3: To help me to help.
Speaker 4: The message that was the help. The SA was the help.
Speaker 1: I did my thing.
Speaker 2: I can be fun uncle to these dogs, actual children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm ready for parent with the dogs.
Speaker 1: Do you want one? He would be a great dog owner.
Speaker 4: The schedule, yeah, because does no one brings their dog to us and ol people bring their dogs?
Speaker 1: That would be a bridge too far.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's there's a couple people. But it's fine, Like they stay in the dressing room. They stay in the dressing room, or sometimes they'll bring them out. It's okay.
Speaker 4: That's a different world.
Speaker 3: It's a different Yeah. Would never have flown.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, right now I think post pandemic, we're all like we've had a rough couple of years.
Speaker 4: Let's let everyone have what they need everyone, let's make.
Speaker 3: Sure everything's fine. Yeah, which I culturally must feel wild. I remember that this just comes with starting out there, no matter who you are, no matter what job it is, if you start out there, it is always hard and it is always a cultural adjustment. But I just remember a time like pre pandemic, where I was just like, oh, I was terrified every day. Every day, I was shaking just to just to be there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, would have never thought, yeah I went there.
Speaker 4: I was ninety seven when I went there. And I mean that I see with clarity now, like the nineties were so rough.
Speaker 2: Like rough, rough, rough, what sense? What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Like kindness was not in fashion and.
Speaker 1: It would get worse from there.
Speaker 4: And no mental health was like what yeah, what what are you talking about? And that's why everyone ended up with some form of like temporary kind of OCD. And you know, but even just when you look back at you just look back at like nineties Letterman interviews, Yeah, and you're like, oh my gosh, she's just like haranguing a teenager. Yeah, absolutely, and we were like ha ha haaa, that dumb slut.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually that was the fifty five year old man told that dumb teenager.
Speaker 2: Will never be the same after that.
Speaker 3: Well, but like the Paris Hilton thing, I still I mean it's rough, Like I don't like celebrate that interview necessarily. It is incredible and the most in the best not the best way, but in a way that you're like, it's Letterman. And then I talked about this before. It was the thing that like Anna Dresident and I watched and we're like, so, I guess the Iceberg should be like I want to talk about this thing and not talking about yeah you know what I mean modeled it after that, Yeah, oh really yeah yeah, Like we watched that, we were like, okay, so like I just want to I just want to talk about my other thing. Yeah, but it was like that was the nineties too. It was like really fucking yeah, making you squirm a bit.
Speaker 4: And there's just for so many things, even people like if you've seen that again, these are all people that I you know, hold nothing against them, like no, but like there's some old Conan clip where the lady from Melrose Place has no oh gosh, someone else, the other blonde lady Courtney Thorn, thank you so much. First of all, I think, thank you.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 4: I believe it's Courtney Thorne Smith and I forget. Maybe it's like I don't know if it's ConA once ad An Norm on the other side or something. And they're just like doing a bit, like some kind of bit that that she looks really hot at her and she's just try I want to tell her story from whatever it is the pre interview of like a funny thing that happened, and it's like two maniacs on either side of her, and you're just like, oh, yeah, that we're not doing that anymore. But at the time it was like ha ha, yeah okay, and those were like Conan is a lovely, kindvolved, intelligent person. We all were I should probably try to think of a story that I tell on myself instead of like but they were like we were just hard.
Speaker 2: We were hard people. Well, we had Seth Meyers on the show like probably a month ago, and he was saying that like the best time like that, he felt like the winning season was probably like two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, Like obviously when I went back, Sarah, do you feel that way too?
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like that was a crazy good time, and Seth was pad writer and was doing a great job and the world wasn't as dark and yeah for me, I felt like that was my prayer for Owen meani moment where I was like, it was I born to look like this lady, I guess so yeah, but now it all seems so gentle.
Speaker 1: I was there, I remember, I was. I was literally there.
Speaker 2: I remember. One of the coolest ones was it was the I guess weekend up day Tuesday or Wednesdays special Thursday. They would add those things and I was at the time like a standby person, like I would wait all the time, and so someone at the line like was like, yeah, they actually they give us tickets for Thursday things. So here's you go, and you will Ferrell and I guess Daryl Hammond right like, and he was.
Speaker 4: Doing Bush and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: I think I remember that was the one that my parents were like, that was a little too far. They were because they're Republican.
Speaker 2: That was a little too far.
Speaker 4: I forget what. I don't remember what the jokes were. They were on board and then they got back on they forget.
Speaker 3: This is I don't think I've this is personally important to me, and I will never forget this. But I matriculated it with my sister was not in student housing, and so I was very socially anxious about meeting new people. And I had researched the improv group at ny in April of senior of high school and I'm reaching out to the facebook page Throwback and I messaged the Facebook page, when do you guys hold auditions? Does it work against me? If I'm not in tish, if I'm just a science major, does it work against it? I was so and then the person who answered me was AA dressing. She was like, hey, so funny, but just like cosmically there was something about that. And then she was like, don't worry, good luck with your manifad rentals, like bye, and then auditioned for the improv group made it to the final round. And then I was like, I really hope I get this. Got the email from anadress and saying we're so sorry. We were floored by everybody. Please start your own groups. We shouldn't be the only game in town. Blah blah blah game in town being n YU, the only improv group at n YU. I was like, okay, licking my wounds. My sister had gone out. I had the apartment to myself. It was Saturday, Michael Phelips episode of SNL. Tina Namy were just going on as Hillary and Sarah. Yeah, I get the call during the cold open live from Anna being like we talked about it, just kidding, we're taking on two people and you and like you're in the group. And then it was like this crazy shift, like something like.
Speaker 2: The culture decided to be good. No, no, no, it was just it was just like we're gonna it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 3: The trajectory was like perturbed in like the best way for me possible. But like you were like the fact.
Speaker 2: I caused it, you caused it.
Speaker 3: And no matter what you were like, it was you. But anyway, that's what I like will always fondly remember.
Speaker 4: Not that that's a great memory.
Speaker 3: That's a great memory, Okay, But is this the thing then, like starting at SNL when you did or coming back whatever the after party culture is at any given time, is that informing what you and Amy do after the show, because where you're like, well let's just go to bed.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I mean we used to, I mean we'll we were at SNL. We used to go out until I had my first child, and then I would sometimes begrudgingly go and they like you.
Speaker 3: Have to say with Laura, I'd be like, okay, oh yeah, I'm at that stage, but I'm childless. I'm a childless Yeah.
Speaker 4: But we used to go, but I never was an after after that was always I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine what that would even be.
Speaker 4: No, I remember I feel like one time Tracy Morgan had like he did, like an illegal private casino somewhere the drash went to like the next day, I was like it was insane, Like.
Speaker 2: Of course, but speaking of all this culture so that we're talking about, in many ways culture that made us side, culture was for us. But we have to ask you this question, and it is of course a difficult question that has really open to interpretation. But Tina Fey, what was the culture that made you say culture is for me?
Speaker 4: Okay, I've been thinking about this question. I struggled to understand it, but I think I'm going to try to frame it like have you ever done those I am from yes, so if we frame it that way, I'm also much older than you guys, and so I'm really going back, I may say things that mean nothing to you, right, I mean try Like I am from watching Benny Hill as a family, Yes, yes, yes, what yeah, watching a weird old man, Ogle women m Kings, being like this is formative. I because a family, Like it's on PBS, guys. I am from you know a time when it just our whole life was. You go to Blockbuster, you rent the Stepfather, you rent the now incredibly problematic sleep away camp that's like and you watch it with your you know, gay friends. So again, if you want to talk about how hard it is, like cackling, like knowing like it's horrible, like yeah, or like it's me and my best friend Marlene going to Pretty Women when it first came out and immediately cackling, being like we're the only ones that know that he's a sex worker and this is grim right, Like Okay, this week it's Richard Gear, but every other week it's terrible, you know, ye cackling? What else?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 4: Real World New York Season, Why, guys. I remember getting up early with my brother to see the beginning of MTV.
Speaker 1: The first video like Downtown Julie Brown.
Speaker 4: Like video killed the Like let's put it on getting up to see Live Aid and being so and being so pumped that it was partly in Philadelphia and being guys like Phil Collins is on the concord. You guys see Phil Collins is on the concord. Yeah, it was for whatever reason because the quality of the venue it was in wherever it wasn't Wembley, I guess, and like Veterans Stadium and pH or something must have been the.
Speaker 3: I'm silly and stupid and I thought it was just in the UK, know, And that.
Speaker 4: Was the big thing was they were like Phil Collin's gonna play with this band and then get on the concord and play again. What else is formed? Who I am? You know Sheila the Glamorous Life?
Speaker 1: Wow, thanks for that.
Speaker 2: You know, Kelly Clarkson just brought her back. Sheila is on Kelly Clarkson's album and I feel like no one talk yeah on the last Yes, like yeah, he gave her a special culture award. We did. We gave her like a we gave her something. She's been recognized by this podcast.
Speaker 4: Good. I'm glad she must What else can I give you? You know? The Divinyls I touched myself. That was like or like me trying to have to no success, trying to convince people that our junior prom theme should be there must be an angel by e rhythmic. I was just going to keep writing these papers and putting it in the box.
Speaker 2: Now wasn't ultimately under well?
Speaker 4: It was like Brian Adams Heaven. And then I think maybe a senior year was maybe like this is the time Billy Joel new song.
Speaker 3: I wow, but this is the thing where I go, how would I have done? How would any of us do? In like a bygone time?
Speaker 4: You would love it.
Speaker 2: The Blackbuster of it all really resonates because it's also about going to Blockbuster and only ever renting two.
Speaker 4: Things, renting two things over and over, over and over, over and over. Watching another one was like a rach Noophobia was a big one. I feel like there's a Martin Sheen one that I can't think of that was like a horror movie. Maybe that's right. And like also with my two good friends Jim and Damien, who are brothers, who between the two of them are the amalgam that are the basis for the day. Yeah, And in their house they had a back staircase that had been closed off and made into a pantry that was full of every kind of junk food and get after it and also just like it like it was the eight is, like no one did fitness. Your outfit was like a high collar thing with a blazer.
Speaker 1: It was just like there was no did you drink a lot of soda?
Speaker 4: Drank so much soda, would eat like a cheese hogy, So like a twelve inch hogy with three kinds of cheese and then still able to poot.
Speaker 1: Right exactly the body.
Speaker 4: And just think I'm trying to think culturally too. It was like VC Andrew's flowers in the attic flowers, reading those on like the beach at the Jersey Shore, or like on the trolley to work. Other weird things that I don't realize are like I was obsessed with Paul Young. That was like every time you go away.
Speaker 1: Originally like boy music.
Speaker 4: Well he was super cute, okay yeah, And like SCTV used to be on after SNL three weekends a month, and then the fourth weekend it was wrestling and he'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, what did you imprint on on SCTV was a Catherine and.
Speaker 4: Catherine Yeah for sure, Andrew so aspirational song.
Speaker 2: As you say, did I use that right? You used that?
Speaker 3: You absolutely used for song is the word of twenty twenty four. It's like it's just like a feeling of like something in the air, like when something is.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I have the free song thinking about this one.
Speaker 3: It's the table I got.
Speaker 2: I got there thinking about getting us on the Guardians of the Guy. Yeah, beautiful ride.
Speaker 3: I think that the boy music thing is like that is also a thing like the men of the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Were allowed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like there was something I'm gonna say, like set aside, like oagly and stuff. But like the men of that time hot I sound insane for saying this, you could look up to men in a way that was like fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can look up to men and be like, I'm.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm worried about what they were up to. Maybe I'm not even that.
Speaker 3: I mean I think they were. They were good Americans, good Americans.
Speaker 4: That's the name of this.
Speaker 1: That's the not literally good American.
Speaker 4: But we also, I mean we also were like Janet Jackson, Madonna go gos like that's along the rhythmics. I remember also remember when you rhythmics came out, like when the first Sweet Dreams came out and we were like people were scared of them. It was like different, Like she had that short hair and she was wearing a suit and everyone.
Speaker 2: Was like what she was vaunt pop And even when she did like diva and like did do her own thing, like it was still there was something sinister about it in a way that I love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like yeah, just gender Bendy or the.
Speaker 2: Song why by Annie Lennox. I want that as I'm lowered into the.
Speaker 4: Ground, I remember, but I do say revisit. There must be an angel.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, Okay. And also I mean walking on broken Glass, like there's a reason for it. Someone's gonna sample that song and it's going to be just appear stranger things. Yeah, like like that song taking off the all.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for the rediscovery.
Speaker 4: As you guys talked about this that that's the year of the the needle drop.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you watch the bear? Okay?
Speaker 4: I have seen some of them, but not all of that.
Speaker 2: Probably one of the most famous needle drops of this year is Taylor Swift love story on the Oh they did that, They did that and to get the Taylor Swift song must have cost a lot of money, so thankfully it paid off. Like the Bear the Bearrier doing excellent. Yes, you guys are crushing it out there. They are, they really are.
Speaker 1: It's so wild to see her like sleigh drama like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: I have to go back and get into it so I can see where her character arc went because I know.
Speaker 2: She's so good and I think it was like I always like, of course coming up with her, like we always knew she was so talented.
Speaker 1: But then I was watching Bottoms. Did you see bottom?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I was watching her on screen there to see.
Speaker 2: Where the camera gets way up in her face and I think she's having a moment with her love interest, and I'm like, you got it, girl.
Speaker 4: She got it big time.
Speaker 2: We were big time.
Speaker 3: You were in the edit yesterday for this pre tape. Every take, I was like, oh, I don't know, she knows where to find the can whatever the camera, but like and it would cut to me and it'd.
Speaker 4: Be like.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but when you know what to do with the camera.
Speaker 2: Do we all have this?
Speaker 3: Do we all have this thing where it's this there is some dysmorphia. If not, might be the right word, but it's like, I think it's getting worse and worse for me in terms of watching myself.
Speaker 4: I've reached a point where I don't do it, like unless I'm in unless it's something that I'm in charge of them is like I have to edit it. I'm like, oh, I'm gonna make this movie and I have an idea, I'm never gonna watch it. Yeah, I got it, and that's like freeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know when the it came out about the four Seasons, Yeah, the gay group chats were of course, that's really exciting.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is gonna be good.
Speaker 3: That's a good link up again with with Tracy and with.
Speaker 4: Oh Tracy and Lang the best, Tracyfield and Langfish.
Speaker 2: The gays that remember the movie were like, huh, like they were very total.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, they're lining up already. I can't get over that. My two movies from Blockbuster were The First Wives Club and Golden Eye.
Speaker 3: That's that was my personality, Like First Vibes Club.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, Yeah, First Wives Club.
Speaker 2: So you watch it now and you're like, it's so a movie of the nineties where it's just like it takes a bit to get into being a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then yeah, then it is, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But I kind of missed the days where it's just like, no, the first half hour is just gonna be a lot of relationship building.
Speaker 1: Yep, like a lot.
Speaker 3: Is it any first talk stuff that actually ever pays off in the end? No? Right, that felt like a nineties thing where it was like you.
Speaker 2: Just I think it's all worth it to watch them at the end saying you don't own me. And I can't remember anything else about the movie besides that. And you know who else you forget is in that movie? Kind of crushing its SVP.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's great in that movie, so good. She's great in that movie. She's great in La Story. Yes, she's great in Edwood. Oh yeah, I've seen Wait a minute, when Edward is so great.
Speaker 1: That's a really good one.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got two weeks off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not Wow, you do have two weeks off.
Speaker 3: I excited. I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to the Beacond.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, except the Begon the Beacon.
Speaker 2: So wait when you would have a vacation from SNL back in the day. Would you go or would you just sit? Would you bedrot?
Speaker 4: I think I mostly just sat. I feel like people at s and I'll do much better sort of self care and living their lives. But I think in the beginning, my now husband was still in Chicago, so sometimes I would go back to Chicago for thee or whatever. But but no, I didn't. I never took one real vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Still learning how to do that. I'm like, oh, right, you book a trip and then you go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Can I say I've never developed I don't think I think my time is up, Like I think if I haven't learned by now to like book a vacation on the two weeks off, and like, I don't think I ever will for my remaining time there. I'm just like I don't have that thing of like that admin thing of like let me book and here ABNB or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think it's I think there's something about work there that like makes you want to stay put because you're just like moving around a lot or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to recover. Yeah, the thought of going to the airport doesn't seem good after that.
Speaker 3: No, never ever, I literally did this when you were in town last season where I would like do a show on Saturday. My flight was at eight a m. After daylight savings after the spring clock jumped forward, so I lost an hour and then went to the airport to go to London to then yeah, shoot, and I was just like, this is actually, this is CT. This is like there's there's there's a part of my brain that's leaving, and so I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think, oh my god, that's sketch. Last night when I was like and when the wind blows, I.
Speaker 3: Could shout out to Asha Ward, hilarious, she's this. She's a new young writer. She co wrote this elevator sketch with us as well. Yeah great, she is so damn funny. And yeah no she said that line I said on Tuesday night when she was pitching it, which was like kind of like going around with the idea. She's like, yeah, it's this People's Court, this actual People's Court episode was the plaintiff did have like the haircut, was that her scalp was showing obviously not her actual brain, but then like I think we're going to make it her brain in the skitches, Like that's amazing. Event and then she goes, yeah, and I think I wanted to say, when the wind blows, I can feel my memories like being blown away, and I threw my head back. I was like, you have to put that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you must, you must. I did want to ask, so like when you're at SNL and also you're at the same time writing mean girls, like I guess I'm what I'm wondering is like, how long did it take you to do that? Because I remember, like literally at the time reading interviews with you where you were like I just wanted to see if I could do it, yeah, and then you so obviously could, But like, how what was that process of like juggling that because that seems like a lot of work all the time.
Speaker 4: I am trying to remember. I know I did a bunch of it in the summer. I feel like maybe it was over two summers because it was the first time we rented a house in Fire Island. On we left the fire on a guest tire had recommended just doing that, and we went and trash picked a desk and we carried it and I remember Jeff's arms got like a huge because you never it's not fire around if you don't get a weird rash and he like immediately got a ration and I was like, oh, I think there was deer pee all over the dea or something. And so the I must have been doing first draft the first summer and then the shooting. I remember the second summer was the shooting draft. Because I would get Mark Waters, the director. I would get pages of notes every single day and I'd be like, I think I did it and then be like, okay, let's go through today again. He's like page four and I'd be but he was right. It was like it was stuff of like where are they this that? Could this be short? It was like a lot of technical stuff. And there was an amazing woman named Jill Messick who worked for Laura at the time, who she also was just like poking me. Okay, like a lot of drafts in between unofficial drafts. So I don't think I was doing it. I must have been doing it on weeks off. I don't think. I don't have a memory of do it and trying to do it at the same time as the actual show.
Speaker 2: Like only because like and obviously like the movie is so perfect.
Speaker 1: It's just everything.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things that like just falls into place in every way. Like I remember we were saying it was one of those movies where you sat down and watched it, and I knew I was going to and had to remember every line I saw with my cousin and I was just like, this is a really special thing. And then going to school, I remember like I was like all the track girls I used to run winter. I used this is a specific but I would run track and I would practice with all the girls because we would just talk about things like this, Yeah, and everyone knew all the lines. And it was so funny because I watched my one friend sort of I could tell she wanted to be like Regina George in a way where she didn't really get it. I was like, you don't want to be actually mean, like, but the way she started speaking, I'm like, it truly perfect. Remember it was that anchorman. Yeah, it was like and I remember as a gay kid too, I learned the language of mean girls because that was what all the girls were doing, and then anchormag was what all the boys were doing. And so it was sort of this like code switch, code switch, Yeah. And I remember taking my dad to see it and like he was so excited because it was coming from you, and I remember it was just like this like moment that felt like a unifier, like in high school, because everyone thought it was funny, everyone thought the cast was amazing, And I really wanted to ask about Rachel mcaddam because this is essentially is a Rachel McAdam stand podcast. Yeah, we could just talk about her and yeah, but like I was reading an interview with you recently where you were like you mentioned like watching her act like change the way that you approached.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I had never been in a movie before and I didn't know what I would go and be in the scene. I'd only done SNL and I wasn't even really in sketches on SNL. I just update, so I'd be like I would literally be like in my head, I'd be like, I don't know if I'm on camera right now, so I'm gonna try real hard every time. Yeah, Like didn't know to even ask if I'm in this part of the setup. And she her performance was so small that I remember being worried and going to park watch and be like, oh, and then you get the dailies and it was like perfection. But it was very it was small. It was a film performance. It wasn't like me like.
Speaker 2: That all the time, like the sketch mentality of coming in in one mode, especially like because we didn't have any acting training coming out, we were like creatures of the basements, you know, like any of us. And then all of a sudden you book a thing where you have to be on camera acting and they're like, hey, just throw it away, and like, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: But you learned. But the difference is then when you see when you see people on SNL, when you see someone like Io who understands the assignment to use a now old phrase, it's bad, I brought it back. She understands what she's supposed to do and what sketch requires. And then you compare to well not name names, but you see people who come in who have only ever done film, whose performances are built in the edit room right, who have no internal sense of pacing or even energy, and you and oh, they can fuck up a show, but.
Speaker 2: They can slay the pre tape.
Speaker 3: They can play the pre.
Speaker 4: Tape tapes tape for them, pre tape.
Speaker 3: Literally all we want to tell people now at SNL, like all I tell the hosts all the time on Wednesdays, especially at the Rea through I go fast and we were just like, just do it fast and loud, fast and loud wow, and that usually it is plenty of dials it in. It's plenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's what Amy talks about, how because we do a Q and A and our show, and like we often get asked like, you know, who are your favorite guests and stuff, and she's like, I love athletes because they're used to being coached and they don't care. And you just be like, just do that. They just do it louder and like say it and they're like okay ah.
Speaker 1: You also get a sense that anyone with like a Disney Kid pass yep comes in there and tears it up yep.
Speaker 4: Also, by the way, people who've done and there are fewer and fewer of these people, but used to be people who had done soaps. Because you know who's Scott to start on soaps, Alec Baldwin, Julianne Moore. Yes, Julian, make a choice, make a choice and go.
Speaker 3: Get Lisa Rinna to hosts. Oh, come on, Lisa, Julian Moore. I think well, and that's I think.
Speaker 2: Our favorite movie of leaders made December.
Speaker 4: We Love Me, that's your favorite movie there. I enjoyed it, but that Four Things were my I haven't watched Poor Things, Oh love it?
Speaker 1: Oh you'd like Poor Things.
Speaker 2: It's Emma's Emma's another one like comes in and like just yeah, yeah, gets it, yeah and gets it, gets it on camera obviously.
Speaker 1: But Julian Moore, I.
Speaker 2: Guess because what's so fun about the movie is it's like purposefully a melodrama, right, that insane music.
Speaker 4: That music was She's like, we're out of hot.
Speaker 2: Time, yeah, her insane accident. But then she was talking about like she's like, well, you know, I started in soaps and I actually did the archetype of like the Twins, the twins, the evil twins, like the Amnesia twin. Yeah, it wasn't even just amnesia or just twin.
Speaker 3: It was both acting opposite herself, wanting to kill herself, incredible kill the other.
Speaker 1: But like, there's all the sense in the world to me.
Speaker 3: But you said about Alex too, though, where it's like they're the Rachel maccadams thing where it's like just so quiet, Yeah, it's gonna work. And then you watch the she's like oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And sometimes you know, real stars, they don't really do what they're gonna do till you're on their close up. And so you know, you look at those first two seasons of thirty out Rock and I'm like hey, and he's like, you won that one.
Speaker 2: That one. It really is well though, because I remember you do a take and they're like, okay, we're moving on, and you're like.
Speaker 1: There's no way we can. I didn't do anything, and they're like, no, you get the performance of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: You just won't ever know because it wasn't fun for you at.
Speaker 1: All, right, Yeah, but it worked for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back to Mean Girls really quickly. How many times did you see in theater because you brot your dad?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Come on? I mean, like, first of all, like I wonder how this feels too, because to join this thing of like it was like Heathers was Clueless and then it's Mean Girls, and that has to be really.
Speaker 4: Meaningful, very meaningful to me, Yeah, because those are you know how those and Clueless were huge informative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, this is my thing. This is my specificity with it is there was like a website two thousand and four and five in that time of the internet, called like the script Database or something, and they would either have the screenplay, the original screenplay of the movie, any movie you could think of, if they had it the original actual PDF or the scan or whatever of the script, or they would have a transcript. And then I remember reaching out to the admin of that being like, I will transcribe Mean Girls for you, and then.
Speaker 2: He said you do it.
Speaker 3: And I did it, and then and this guy was like, God bless you. The demand for a movie has never been higher than for me.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I'm gonna do it. And I wrote the fucking like the Slugs and the Girls.
Speaker 2: I didn't write.
Speaker 3: I transcribed Mean Girls. He was like, well you were fourteen?
Speaker 2: Wow? I was, And this is what I said.
Speaker 3: I said, I can get you the script. And then this guy, this like thirty year old man, was probably like, you mean the actual like Tina Fey, like the draft. I was like, no, no, no, I'm just gonna type out what they say.
Speaker 2: I like didn't know. I didn't know what. I didn't know what he was looking for.
Speaker 3: He was like, I don't care, I'll take a transcript. I was like, oh, that's yes, of course transcribed yes, I will write out what they say. I'll see Katie says that, you know, like yeah, that was the level of like crazy fucking yeah.
Speaker 2: There's like joy in every scene. And I guess what I feel is like you forget like that such big deals came out of that movie to like Amanda Seifrid, like she's just so in the fabric of the movie having fun doing her part that you forget that she would then become like yeah, hello, And I mean it was it's like that down to to everything, And I wonder like, in shooting it, did you know that it was like did you have a feeling that there was something special happening? Which feels like a question, like boring question, But because it did end up being culturally significant.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I feel like, I mean, part of the reason that it worked is because those girls were so legit and took it seriously and played and played it so real, you know if they had been campy about it, because I think that's the thing I try to sometimes pass on and whatever writershims whatever is like no one no villain thinks they're no one's the villain in their story, right, Regina's whole thing is like it's hard, Like she's gonna come crying to me and then I gotta help her. Like yeah, no, one's a villain in their own story, right, And I think they all played that perfectly because you know, and you can see now like, oh, Gina's villain, Janis is a villain, Kate is a huge villain. Like everyone's making mistakes and they played them all perfectly. But you know, I think I was just at that place of like basically like is it gonna air? You know, we're gonna, We're gonna it's gonna get made. That was the That was the triumph in my mind.
Speaker 3: That's refreshing to hear because I think I think Matt and I are in that mindset right now where we're just like we're working on things and we're just like, let's just not worry about the contours of this. Let's just like the goal is just to get it made, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I read this book. I think it's called like Wild and Crazy Guys, and it's just a little nonfiction book about that span of time where like it's like Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Dan it's like all of when they all were blowing up and what movies got made and whatever, and so many of these movies that are just cannon to us. Yeah they were like didn't really they open and you're like I don't care, Like you know, I watched it one hundred thousand times. Whatever, The Man with Two Brains or like that was just there. Just were movies, you know, and to like not worry too much about like how it does, how it does, yeah, how many theaters.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Just you wonder, like how many things we would actually love so much that it just get written off. I wonder about that all the time. Like with the way the industry is now, like how many things aren't getting made that like are actually going to be things that we think about in fifteen twenty years, you know what I mean? Like it feels very far in few between that you get something, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well I think movies still are tighter. Yeah, I feel like TV because there's just so much more like you are getting, You're getting reservation dogs, you're getting you know, Simon Rich's Weird Show where the like, uh, Simon Simon, you know, it's what bottoms felt like. Yeah, totally so refreshing.
Speaker 2: It's just so incredible. Msgment, the director of that, She's like, I think she can do anything.
Speaker 3: She can baby in bottom and we love Rachel.
Speaker 4: So it's happening like and you know, my daughter's eighteen, my older daughter, and that is bottoms is everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Really everything?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, it's her mean girls in a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh that's so cool. That's so cool. I mean, it is this thing where like maybe we're just because we're like in we have some awareness, we're like reading like the Ankler or whatever. But I'm just like the survivorship bias of it all is really hitting me where I'm just like, oh yeah, if I think too hard about the things that aren't getting me that I start to I start to lose my mind a little.
Speaker 2: I'm still going to the casting of me. Did everyone audition for that? Like, did you get a tape from Lizzie Kaplan or were you like I think so, yeah, probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It just feels like there can't have ever been a time when there was like not those not It's one.
Speaker 4: Of those things it's like yeah, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And Lindsay had worked with Mark before Lindsay.
Speaker 4: Had was coming. She had a lot of heat coming off of.
Speaker 2: Freaky Friday, and there's waters.
Speaker 4: I think maybe I can't remember. We should fact check for sure, but yeah, yeah, I think so. Yeah, And she came and she remember she came by SNLI just to like hang out and be seen because she I think she wanted to be considered. She wanted to play Regina, which I think yes, and Lauren was what always Wise was like, no, you want that person to be the person who takes the trajectory to Regina. Yeah, he's like that, He's basically that's the part that you want. She was like, okay, but.
Speaker 3: Was that when both you and Dennis were head writer or do he used to? Yeah, that's so funny. I loved that.
Speaker 1: She was also a killer on SNL just people who.
Speaker 4: Like acted as kids also, they're just like, where do I stand on what do I say? Let's do it? Miley Cyrus? Where do I stand?
Speaker 2: What do I say?
Speaker 1: Everything?
Speaker 4: We need to push more children into show. We need to feed the SNL host pipeline by ruining children.
Speaker 3: If there is like some sort of surgical neuralink type procedure to just to implant that thing, and actress of just like stand here say it loud.
Speaker 2: Say you guys had that at the same time too that much.
Speaker 3: That's not what it souit. You would say that, and then this lesson I say that now, like to all the hosts, we're just like, just project, that's that's our thing. But we're nice, but we're not like we're just like, yeah, just loud and it works.
Speaker 1: I bet it does anyway.
Speaker 3: I mean, are incredible.
Speaker 4: They really were. I mean from home, they were nice.
Speaker 3: They were nice.
Speaker 1: Are you watching every week?
Speaker 4: Not every single week? But I try.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: What sort of got me back into the was was Alice being old enough to love wanting to stay up and watch it. But she was not home last night because she was at the cast party for her own high school musical, They Do Well the prom. She killed it. They all killed it. They were all great. That sounds like a girls production.
Speaker 2: Of Oh that's even more.
Speaker 4: That's a that I know, super cute.
Speaker 2: Oh the prom Okay, so that is a hilarious. So I think about someone playing d d as like a child.
Speaker 4: By the way, girl killed killed. I wish I had video for you because she killed Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, that's the good people like, if you could do one role. What would it be. I'm like, it'll never happen, but I'd love to do in the prom. When I had to do drag for the show I was in last year, and like I put this little wig on, like a little you know, side swoop, like not exactly Catherine's ata, but in the world, I was like, I think I am.
Speaker 4: D D I know I am Do you know Jeff math and Jeff yes, yeah. So he often brings up that, like back in musical theater, like major of college that you take makeup class, and part of makeup class was always like you had to do drag or like do you have to like you a gender swap with your makeup? And he really likes to brag that he looked. This may be total reference. She was like, I was very pretty and I look like Barbara Mandrell.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: He's like I was very pretty photos.
Speaker 1: Could you confirm?
Speaker 4: I have not seen photos. I know he's we'd have to has a beard right now, but oh right, right, but he might shave it for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: We might shave Just tell him if he wants a stage, we do something that the culture awards every year.
Speaker 1: He just welcome to come out and do it, give his and then you.
Speaker 4: Can judge whether he still looks like Barbara Mandrush Barbara Mandrell.
Speaker 1: Also you're kind of almost there with the drag name anyway.
Speaker 3: Totally Mandrell. And then this is what I'm saying, is what we're saying, the opportunity he's like a riper and riper, we're not going to judge him. It's going to be like a fucking v M a situation where he knows ahead of time that.
Speaker 2: You say, the Grammys are today, And we're like, we think people don't know if they're going to win a Grammy, but I think you know if you're winning like a VMA. Yeah, I bet yeah, because Taylor Swift has changed her Yeah, she's changed her Instagram to all black and white, which we believe means there's an announcement coming.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, I wonder if she's winning a Grammy.
Speaker 2: But because if someone could, it's probably tell her Swift, right, Probably you don't know what the Oscars, You.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the Emmy's. You probably don't know what the Grammys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not people's choice, No, no, no, they want a ton of these things.
Speaker 1: They call you before.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I feel like I do remember one time with the Golden Globes, like Alec was nominated for thirty Rock and he wasn't and he was like, I just call him and ask him if I want, because I felt like with that one, maybe you could have and I don't think he was able to. And I don't remember if he want or not or but I don't he He was like, surely this one, they'll just tell me if I have to go.
Speaker 3: And well, I mean, I bet they would if it's Alec, especially the Globes at that time. Now, oh, by the way, your guys host, would you guys go back and host the Gunner?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't know if it's a fain because we ended The last time we did it was this weird like zoom one that was the bummer. But we did used to have so much fun doing that.
Speaker 2: We really did. You guys were the best at it.
Speaker 3: Some one can't be the period on the piece.
Speaker 4: That's the tricky.
Speaker 3: Idea to put the pressure on.
Speaker 4: I know, but maybe, yeah, I could either try to erase the zoom on or yeah, well NBC doesn't own it anymore, right, and you know me, you Countess Luanne. We work for NBC.
Speaker 2: You got we're Comcast girl upset who's in charge of it now these days?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: I will say she was on one the other night. She is alive up there. Yeah, she goes for it. And it's so funny because you watch the early seasons and you're like, this woman's never going to become a cabaret star, and then you go to fifty four below and she was doing covers of Oh What a Night.
Speaker 4: How do I ask this delicately? Has she been working on her singing? Because everyone does? It's so Taylor Swift died.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll say. There is a quality to her voice that I think limits what it can do.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: So it's a b Arthur, It's Carol Channing Channing. Yeah, it exists where it exists, And so I think we're picking songs that just the keys are too steps down from what they even are for the men she covers. Yes, but I will say there's something sort of she really knows her range.
Speaker 4: She's matching pitches.
Speaker 1: And you're never going to see her like go for the money note.
Speaker 2: Right. In fact, one time she did go for the money note, and it was more like I'm joyfully making a big sound than it is. I'm hitting a.
Speaker 3: Note, which it's just about the selling and the delivery of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I think her range being what it is, is the perfect extra dimension to her performance. And I think she knows that now, and I think she's like, let me just have fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not the best singer. And we're saying this with love lou.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a lot of people who Yeah, it's like, if you know how to put your show together, yeah, and give people and also if people know what they're signing up for.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: When we were signing up for four Red sangree As, I.
Speaker 2: Found and I don't know, I don't know what it was about it that made me feel like, this is the drink tonight, sugar, I don't you.
Speaker 1: And this is also what got me really fine.
Speaker 2: I'd make like a quote unquote famous Sangria winters Angria for holidays. It's just so much booze and I literally was just like yay, And I realized no one likes it as much as me. But because I made it, I feel it must get consumed and then you're blacked out on Christmas and I don't. I don't even get drunk like this. It's only when I'm drinking red Sangria.
Speaker 3: And you before pre twenty one, if you didn't have a fake place that he gives a little italy, you would just.
Speaker 2: Order like a house kianti house Kianti.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you would order like a huge picture of sangria. It got you there, Well cottage, it's Chinese.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the Chinese?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there.
Speaker 3: Steph Shoe of everything ever, yeah, Steph Shoe would go there in college and get wasted at nineteen and.
Speaker 2: Drink red wine. What was that?
Speaker 3: It was worse than tubuc chuck. It was something worse than fermented.
Speaker 1: I had my birthday there.
Speaker 2: It was like a party of twenty five underage kids getting so much of this red so much. But wait.
Speaker 3: In terms of putting together a show though, just quickly was it like you and a me being like, what do we want to do? Do? We just want to sit down?
Speaker 1: Because you need to just do that. I mean we do it all the time, right, just sit down.
Speaker 4: We did a little test run of like Netflix as a joke. It's just mostly a Q and A and a couple of little like really undercooked bits and it was easy and fun. But we sort of thought like, oh, we should have a little bit of structure, and so we do. I feel like this is a really nice little structure. I don't know if I should give it away. We may keep touring, but like, yeah, it has sort of like four parts. There are wardrobe changes, there are one to four wigs. Yeah, depending on the night, there is a little bit of Emperor is a little bit of stand up and a special guest and a special guest and so. But if so, the structure we it felt reminded us of Golden Globe times because we always have we have such it's over thirty years. Yeah, we know each other, so we do really have a shorthand of like what if we go X, Y Z. Like there's no ego in it, there's like we and also we both been producing things for a long time. So I do feel proud. I feel like we're giving the white women that come to see us and other people too.
Speaker 1: But that's not a full life and.
Speaker 4: Beautiful all are welcome. I feel like we're giving people like what they want. But anyway, but also it's like hopefully a little bit surprising as it goes along. And but the answer was like it Basically, I was on set. We were finishing filming the Me and Girls movie in Middletown, New Jersey, and we had Amy and I had been working like once a week over Zoom being like talking about what the show could be whatever, and then we had from the day I finished, and it was a brutal It was a very tiring, fast shoot. It was like a lot of late nights and whatever. And so that was say I finished on like the Monday, and then like Saturday, we were like our test show was in Port Chester, so she came in. We had like three or four days. It was very much like the Golden Globes. We were like, Okay, we got this, we got this, and we just sort of finished figuring out the show and we've honed it some since. But it is sort of like you know when you writetuff and it's born quickly and it just comes right out. It's usually a good sign and the structure kind of.
Speaker 2: Just sucked right out. So when did you realize there was like music to you? And Amy? Like I wonder, like you guys have always been like friends, and I think I don't know how true this is, but like you were snl and like put her name in their ears, and then she came Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we started, you know, we were in We started together at improv Olympic. Ye, Shanna Halpern said to both of us, this guy, you don't like this girl, and we were the only two girls on a team. We go inside Vladimir.
Speaker 3: And which is a gay porn That's what.
Speaker 4: It was named, a gay porn VHS tape that was on display a JJ peppers on Clark and I remember we also were like we named it after that. And then we as a team, we're like, we should all watch it once as a group, and then we're like, oh, we watched it the first time, and then people drifted to other parts of the party except for like one or two of the straight guys that just hung in right. Yeah. And so we toured together and then she and we were both under studies for the main stage and she was one hundred percent the A team and I was the B team. Like I remember one time Kelly Leonards was like, you know, so and So is going dratch dract like Josh's going on vacation and Amy can't. She can do all of the nights except one, and I was like, so I get it, and he's like, no, you're gonna she's gonna do all the nights except one, and you're gonna go on one time. And I was like, oh, okay. But and then she left to go to UCB show in New York. And then and then I did main stage literally only because she left or I would have been waiting another two years behind her. I was John Glazier's understudy, and he is such like a gender neutral in his comedy that I just like, yeah, you can just step right in because it's all just like wonderful weirdness.
Speaker 3: I both read for a John Glazier assistant part You Love John, he his wife listened to the podcast The Yeah the Best I see them on Fire.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm actually I didn't even mean to do this, but I.
Speaker 4: Fire Island.
Speaker 3: Sorry. Sorry.
Speaker 4: So then I ended up trying to get a writing job at SNL and Adam McKay hired me and I started and then yes, So at some point, I guess after the UCB TV show ended, I was like, but would you ever but would you ever come over here? Would you ever audition? And I feel like it was sort of broker that she was like basically like I am not doing three through the door, Like I'm not like I'm too established to come with my characters in my box of wigs. And so it was some kind of in between. It was more like a camera test, right, there was something where it was like, I'm not going to work too hard. Yeah forever the enneagram eight, the challenge?
Speaker 2: What is that one?
Speaker 3: The challenger?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: What are you do? You know?
Speaker 2: What? You know? You three? Three?
Speaker 3: What is three? Again?
Speaker 4: The achiever?
Speaker 2: Oh, now that I know, I'm going to become obsessed with.
Speaker 4: Amy's obsessed with it. Yea, you need to take the test tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, as Amy's eight is one through eight.
Speaker 4: It's one through nine.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I forget what nine is because I don't know a lot of nine.
Speaker 3: What's what's it called? Like your echo for what is it called?
Speaker 4: Wing?
Speaker 2: Wing? For four?
Speaker 3: I think I'm wing four and I forget what four is?
Speaker 2: But this is exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh this is going to take Do you do you ever dabble in your astrology?
Speaker 4: I know I'm a tourist. I don't believe so much an astrology because it's random. But why which is and again I'm not the enneagram suf. It's because I've been on tour with Amy for the last seventeen weekends. So we're talking about a lot. But I do put more stock in it because it's based on you answer a million questions. It's based on you and what you think and how you react. Correct, that's the word word qualitative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So with the U and Amy thing like would you consider yourselves opposites?
Speaker 4: No, we're not. We're not opposites, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because it presents us that in the comedic duel, which I guess yeah, I've been talking about this a lot being this, but like, yeah, it's funny how you present person.
Speaker 4: As our opposites, right, because it's more like I'm sort of tightly buttoned up and then she's more like little dark bag. But we're both actually pretty bossy. But yeah, I just to answer your question, like when did I realize that we're sort of more powerful together. I remember before, like Jimmy, I was doing an update with Jimmy and then he left and I was felt very abandoned because I was like we left, like he left and I did tests with other people and stuff, and then Lauren was doing that learning he was like, what do you think, like leaving it sort of up to me, And there was part of me that was like, oh god, I think I'm supposed to want to do this by myself, right, Like that's the power. But I was like, but I'm a sketch person. I'm not a stand up partner, right. And at the very like last minute, I remember I was coming back, this is too much information. It's coming back from a train trip from Washington, d C. Where I had weirdly and presiently taken a photograph for like a cover of I don't know with John McCain, like in two thousand and whatever, but way before two thousand and eight, and I had to make the decision on the amtrak ride back and I called Amy and I was like, would you do me the great honor of being my wife? And then it just worked from there and I think by the time the globes and the Hillary and Sarah all of it all, it just was like, oh, people.
Speaker 3: Do like us, tiktoo, that's the music to it that you're asking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, I just because it feels like again, it feels like that thing that always was.
Speaker 1: But there had to be a time when it was decided like, oh yeah, this feels really good because and I think that's like it just feels like the synergistic thing that must have always been you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I mean it kind of asks been for a long like maybe the credit goes to Sharna.
Speaker 3: I mean it sounds like sounds like yeah, but like in terms of you guys building up the structure for the show for Russell's leg, like that is interesting to hear about because I feel like with Globes it was you guys looking at the established structure of like what an award show looks like and then being like, let's go out with mustaches and be like nominees for Dog President a movie called Dog like form breaking, Like I was like, I remember just watching I was with my friends watching that first year of the Globes just being like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: This this was also the joke structure they handed to you guys, which they don't do anymore. Which as a woman who dot dot dot dot.
Speaker 4: Dot dot dot dot dot doesn't.
Speaker 2: Like, I love that that that I wish they would do that because sometimes they would just like describe it in such a weird way and they're on the actor like and just like not a total idiot.
Speaker 4: A total idiot who looks terrible.
Speaker 3: End who looks terrible even now yeah Matt Rogers dog president.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the things I think we knew from like I felt that we brought producer brain to the table were like front loaded, Yes, don't come out. And I've watched other wh SHOs since I've been like oh no, no, no, my darling. At the end of like the oscars don't come out at like ten fifty with a long ass bit. Everyone's tired. Everyone who's still in the room has lost Yeah, get out of there, you know, So like front loaded, don't go too long, right, work the room. And also literally just like say who you are, remind people who how they know you. Like just I feel like we had just training form SNL. I'm just like watching a million monologues.
Speaker 3: That's a larn thing of like okay, like most tis're gonna be the cold up in monologue like before update, Like that's like above the fold in terms of the newspaper speak. It's like it's common sense to us. But it's also like things that I guess like people don't think of all the time, And that's that's okay, But it's also like I feel like the biggest boon of working there is to like see a different version of let's just say, like fame every week and then to be like, oh, I can behaviorally adjust myself based on what I'm witnessing.
Speaker 4: You know, which of these paths seems like a good path? And yeah, that.
Speaker 3: Sounds weird to say so, speaking of like the famous of it all, I wonder like you've probably met everyone at this point, but then you're in the Golden Globes room and it's literally like, is there anyone who throws you off?
Speaker 4: That is a great question, I have to say, after so much time at SNL and also just being fifty three, where you're just like I don't care and you've seen, like you've seen so many waves of culture and you're like, guess who used to be a big deal and isn't anymore? Like whoever you are, it will pass, right, And also having had to go make crazy phone calls and have crazy meetings and be like like I've had to do things like can you call Mariah Carey and ask her for the rights to you know, this song? And like and once you've done, like, I don't know, if I can think of a person that that, I'd be like, You're such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Even Oprah has been your colleague I have met. Yeah, I mean I'm one of the most iconic.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Mariah is huge because you got her with her for she loves me girls, She loves girls, whole song about it, one of her best songs. Yeah, to are so obsessed with me? Do you like the new? Do you like the new? Do you like it all the time?
Speaker 3: You like it?
Speaker 4: Renee is a real one, a real star, a real star, real star.
Speaker 1: She came on this podcast then it's like her voice in that movie. Were with Jimmy Do you know this?
Speaker 3: At the Jimmy Wars there Me, Joe, Kim Booster, Brandon Scott, Jon cruisings O, we were there and then Renee came out and then Laura Barnanty was hosting the whole thing and being like and just on stage or Barananci thing like, if I had the confidence of that girl, I would have no problems. And it was just you could tell from that night, Yeah, it was just And the kid that.
Speaker 2: Won was Andrew Bartel Jennifer Lawrence movie No Hard.
Speaker 4: Feelings, Yes, and and Evon Hansen right.
Speaker 2: For the gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Jimmy's with the future. Other thing that I loved about Renee on SNL was her live vocal was right up front in that.
Speaker 3: Mix, right up right in the zone.
Speaker 4: You could hear it was live.
Speaker 3: She was great vibes. And then and then the after party was like I don't do like big spaces, always like you're so cool, great Americans. I think it's time to move on.
Speaker 2: Shall we move to I don't think so honey. Okay, So this is the segment, Tina where we take one minute to rant and rave against something in culture. And I'm gonna get a little specific, and I apologize to you in advance. Oh no, but I think you need to make some changes. Oh god, I know.
Speaker 3: But don't be scared. Okay, okay, this is Matt Rogers. I don't think so honey about me. I guess as time starts, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so honey.
Speaker 2: Boon Yang. No deodorant in your dressing room.
Speaker 3: Oh get out, because I think it's like a it's a staple, right.
Speaker 2: I don't need it and I don't need a babe. My thing is like I needed it, And remember that you have guessed and some of them are going to be in that hot, little stuffy.
Speaker 1: Dressing and dressing room stuffy.
Speaker 2: And I'm turning around and as I said before, no, not a deal reate in sight in my apartment, only acts, which I didn't find till this morning. I feel like, Bowen, we need to rethink and restock your dress room with the ESSENTI second, because there's a lot of fancy, good whiskey and no dealerance, no nothing that's going to actually get us to the end of the day, the end of the week, because it was smelling in there. And I apologize to you, but you had a lot of men in your in your dressing room last night and it's stank by the end of it. And I'm telling you, like, I just couldn't believe you didn't have your little essentials. You do have a lot of good Colonne I do than acts, I know, okay, But I'm just saying like, in terms of the sweat and the antiperson moriant, you could be doing better.
Speaker 3: I don't think. And that's one minute. I had Toms available for our friend day because he had an upset stomach. Yeah, I have so many other This is the thing about working at SNL that I I'm never gonna get over. You could have had the worst week professionally, not the worst week, but just a rough week professor at the show's and then you still have to host your friends and make sure the ice and get drinks for them. I'm like, this is the thing that I don't love, Like.
Speaker 4: Your aunt and uncle are coming to take them to the party.
Speaker 3: And you're like, well, that's a light show for me.
Speaker 2: And I will say I did check myself when like I think it was a couple of years ago, like a few of us were in your dressing room just like having the time, and I think it was like a week where you're having a hard time. You came and we were just like, ah, what.
Speaker 3: Do you mean, just because like you don't want to be like whoa like, come on, get them up on our level.
Speaker 1: When it's like I am at work still, And then I do respect that.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry they didn't have deodorant.
Speaker 4: I'll get I just felt that because I wathed you need to have a little basket like in a wedding reception ladies room like mints.
Speaker 2: I have brothers, past deals. I'm gonna get mints, and he does have brothers past deals. Does everyone know where you got then tampons? Yeah, Cynthiaio gave me this past Cynthia Rivo gave him the best singer in the world. Yeah, it's great. I also big big brothers past had well.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I will do my best too.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding, Jess. I just didn't want to smell so bad.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 2: And also I'm being a little like I'm erring on the side of caution. I don't think Swanny because I got absolutely dragged for the one I did last week, which was people should not be riding tailor swift so hard for the private jet usage.
Speaker 1: You don't want her to ride commercials.
Speaker 4: I saw that and you're like, what is she gonna fly adult adulta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just teasing everyone.
Speaker 2: And the girls absolutely dragged me because I'm harmful.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, no, I'm You're the real problem, the real problem.
Speaker 2: Apologize.
Speaker 3: I've got one, Okay, bow I might be biting the hand.
Speaker 2: Oh baby, we'll see this is Bowe yangs. I don't think Swanny as time starts now, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think so, honey. My co host doing ads for The Tiger's Apprentice, now streaming on Paramount Plus and naming off the cast list Henry Golden, Greta Lee, Sandra, Oh, Michelle Yo, but no mention of Bow and Yang of I normally don't mind, but I it's my own podcast. I mean, I'm giving Paramount a platform. I saw Mean Girls in theaters four times. I went to go see Mean Girls the Musical twenty twenty four. I'm a supporter of Paramount of CBS, the Vicom. I've had many wonderful experiences to work with Viacom CBS, and I can't even get a damn mention in the ads and the promo material for this movie that I had a great time doing. I play Sydney the raft to the movie where the twelve animals of the Chinese Zodiac team up to fight an evil in San Francisco. Oh, Michelle, you plays the villain mean secentual coworker with our guest.
Speaker 2: I put Paramount, please put me in the damn.
Speaker 1: Credit and that's a minute.
Speaker 2: I personally like to apologize for not improvising in the ad that you were, but I don't think, but dead ass, you do not know that I was in that movie. No deadass, I do know that you're in the movie, but you know what it's like to do ads in This sort of a peak behind the curtain usually happens at the end of a podcast when you just want to leave. Yeah, until you're like coming soon into Paramount Plus it's gonna be everyone but bowen a right, see you later, everybody.
Speaker 3: I I want to say when I love I didn't go to the math for you. When I love that for you came out and we were doing answer, I love that for you. I made sure to really make your name an emphatic part of that. I just expected better.
Speaker 4: From you from expected better from you is really hard.
Speaker 2: Said that to you. If your best friend and coming to partner said I expected better from you on the air, that's rough.
Speaker 4: That's rough.
Speaker 1: No, I expect better for myself. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: And from now on I will always say your name. I'll sneak your name into projects you're not even in. Thank you, and then maybe just like and you have deoduring for me, let's have each other's back to more in the future. Because there is a magic here, and there's a music there's I've always known it. That's an equilic exchange the teen and amy of your generation.
Speaker 3: You know what, what don't don't?
Speaker 2: Shall we host the Globes?
Speaker 4: Are getting by the way, you should host the Globes together.
Speaker 3: That room is going to be like who the fuck are those to? Joe Cooy like who No, They're like who is that?
Speaker 4: It would be like it's duel Kimbooster because that keeps happening to you guys.
Speaker 2: And they'll be like and Zachary Quinto, No, but you really.
Speaker 4: Should do it because together are so much more fun.
Speaker 2: I would not only do it with someone with you, I'm throwing our name in there. I was like, yeah, we're gonna do it, and Bomo was like, no, not the Globes And I was like, well, I think they're back. I think now we know they're back. You know what I mean? Yeah they're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, you ready for this?
Speaker 4: I think so okay. So I will say I was like, I was kind of sweating this because I you know, again fifty three, I have nothing but opinions, right of violent opinions about everything. But I'm also constantly afraid of getting in trouble.
Speaker 3: So do you an audition?
Speaker 4: Some No, I think I'm an okay area now, but also like, I do have backups if we do it, and you could you be like no, do a different one.
Speaker 1: If we're like no, you'll get crucified for that.
Speaker 4: I think I was thinking about my own fear of crucifixion, and it led me to my choice of topic. Okay, so and I may look at my phone, old.
Speaker 3: You have to have it. This is Tina fays I don't think so, Honey, time starts now.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, honey, Bow and Yang giving his real opinions about movies on this podcast. I regret to inform you that you are too famous. Now, sir, what's gonna happen? You have a problem with saltburn, shy, quiet, luxury, keep it to yourself, because what are you gonna do when Emerald Fennel calls you about her next project where you play Carrie Mulligan's co worker in the bridal section of Herod's and then Act three takes a sexually violent turn and you have to pretend to be surprised by that term. You have to have a clean paper trail. Nothing negative. Everything everyone does is amazing. Okay, you hang out with Ariana and SpongeBob, Now that is your life, okay, And Matt Rogers, I gonna tell you got about one year left and then you, yes, learn from my mistakes, learn from io podcasts or forever. Authenticity is dangerous and expensive. I don't think so, honey, an.
Speaker 2: All timer, And you know they're starting to come for us, the people that listen to this and like they don't say they're real opinions, and it's like, yeah, I don't think that anyone needs that.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it gets hard, it gets harder, I know, I bet it does.
Speaker 3: And they're also digging through our stuff and being like, well, there's a period when they didn't like Taylor Swift, why they didn't like them?
Speaker 2: So to hear them be so sick a fantic now it was really crazy. They call us boot liquors. I'm like, you, guys, it's a walk doing.
Speaker 4: This and it's a dangerous dance and it's impossible.
Speaker 2: It's really crazy because the fact is we do have strong opinions about almost everything, and that's what people want.
Speaker 4: It's authentic.
Speaker 1: But also, what do I do when Emerald calls?
Speaker 4: What are you going to do? When?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I personally and I cannot expect this of everyone. If someone's not a fan of one thing that I've done, if someone was like I didn't love Fire Island, I'll be like, no problem, I'll still be in a getch with you. I'll still like take a meet, you know.
Speaker 2: Emerald, if I'll still take a meeting. Emerald Fanel had gotten on a podcast and absolutely destroyed Fire Island and said this is bad. I didn't get the performances, and Emerald Fanel said the words, I don't think Bowen Yang has ever pulled it off.
Speaker 1: You would feel crazy.
Speaker 3: I would feel crazy, but he'd be like, that's so.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, but she's entitled that, Emerald.
Speaker 4: That was I forgotten. My one note that I didn't get to as I was at the bottom, was going to be I don't listen. I don't expect you to stand with Dave Chappelle good night. I'm not a monster, I'm not crazy, but I do need you to hug Mark Cuban like he is your long lost honor like Jimmy did. And also why did Jimmy do that? Why was Jimmy hugging Mark Cuban like they won the super Bowl together?
Speaker 3: Jimmy was so happy, and Jimmy was so nice and he sent me milk Bark cookies.
Speaker 4: Well that's why Jimmy's the best, because he's capable of joy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, no, and we need that. And I was, by the way, people are like reading me for like in the bear Gip Talk Show sketch, like looking autitated in a word.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, I was like playing this.
Speaker 3: I was playing in this sketch and being like, oh, there's the guests are supposed to be like a little perplexed. I was like, you got eyes. But that was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Honestly, this is a genuine question, how would you do this podcast?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, how like, if you're us, how would you continue to do this podcast which started in twenty sixteen when we thought there's no way anyone will ever listen to it even once. Yeah, And we sort of established this thing of like, we see things, we talk about it, we're honest, we have our little fun with things in the pop culture. And then all of a sudden that does become hard because someone who might be a dear sister to you, right might be right.
Speaker 4: I mean, I do think you guys four You guys are thoughtful and gentle, and if you say you don't like something, it's not just like just to be jerks, but you know you don't. Obviously we're very thoughtful about those movies. But it does become a thing where it's like, oh, do you want to be people who keep it real and have their podcast forever or do you want to be goddamn movie stars?
Speaker 3: Are you god? The former? Then go?
Speaker 4: Then then I think then you're doing that. But like my, like my my trail of mistakes lives behind me, like then Jacob Marley's train, like just chains of shame, like from I'm like, I'll.
Speaker 2: Just use this real name from my high school, like and then.
Speaker 4: Hit this person like that wasn't even it just like I liked their name, like it's nothing to do with them, yes, And then I'm like, that's a level.
Speaker 1: Of sh they're now going impatient because of what you've done.
Speaker 4: I mean, and then like just and then like update jokes that you're like, I'll do it, I don't care, and then you're like oh right, and then yeah, like so many kinds of of these mistakes that you're like, what did I write?
Speaker 2: What? Especially the thing with the io thing it's like, so someone like j Lo is so famous and has been so famous for such a long time that literally everyone in the world has said something probably incredibly positive and negative about her, just because that's like a colloquialism almost, and so for her to get dragged so much for this, not only do I think it's like uncool, but I'm like, guys, this is not this is not a Pandora's box. We want to open and let's dig up everything everyone said on the name and it will be an apocalypse.
Speaker 4: Let's guess was like, why did I why did you say it? That was funny too, was great.
Speaker 3: They threw that line in after Friday, after that news broke.
Speaker 4: It was just.
Speaker 3: Fortuitous or the opposite in terms of like it's Io and j Lo being on the same bill for us, and now like that's the only reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's but it's like even that is just like, guys, it's just I don't think anyone's gonna stand by every single thing they've ever said, and it is tough. And then when a lot of people do start listening, there is a weird rub and so like, honestly that I don't think so Honey comes out of really interesting time because a lot I catch it.
Speaker 1: All the time, and like I honestly also sometimes.
Speaker 2: I only ever think, don't take my opinion seriously. I'm like a dummy with a podcast, Like I'm just trying to have fun with this, but people do take it very seriously and that's not up to me. And also like, however, and I've never heard from I've literally never heard from like an artist or anyone that's done anything out there and said, what you said on your podcast really hurt me. But like, I don't know, if I were to hear that, I would definitely certainly feel bad, right, Like, I don't want anyone to feel anything but good for having listened to it. But it is a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a good impartment.
Speaker 2: It's been so long since we've been imparted on Oh yeah, to be imparted in this way, we needed it. Well, this was just a joy and a half.
Speaker 4: I would a delight to talk to you to enjoy the podcast so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you for even saying that. And I just mean, like truly, like this was wish for filming, for us, to say the least, to even have you here and even know who the hell we are so this is pleasure.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, we love you, We love you a lot.
Speaker 1: And oh, by the way, get tickets to the show? Is it all sold out?
Speaker 4: To the Beacon might be sold out? We have some We still have a show coming in like Seattle. Thank you for knowing that in Portland there might still be tickets because we have to go back to the city froze and we had to cancel the ship. Everyone who was mad on Twitter if you couldn't get to the show that still happened, you can, I think you can get tickets. Like we're not. We're doing the right thing. So everyone him down.
Speaker 2: Calm down, We're doing the right thing. Calm down, We're doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: And that's just generally applicable.
Speaker 4: And then let me see what I should I be a professional about. Oh yeah, girls five ever. Yeah, Meredith Gardino is an amazing show.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 4: All three seasons come to Netflix so you can see and yeah, you can see so many wonderful people. I believe. March fourteenth, I hope I'm right about that.
Speaker 2: March fourteenth. One of our dearest friends, Matt Whitaker.
Speaker 1: Oh I love yeah.
Speaker 4: I text with him sometimes.
Speaker 2: He's a big We saw Appropriate the other night on Broadways together. He's a great theater going for Yes, he is great. Yes he sees everything, he sees it all.
Speaker 4: And then me and Girls twenty twenty fourth, My mom and.
Speaker 2: Aunt sat the other night and their review was this. We loved it.
Speaker 1: You know it was different because it was a musical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was one of the ones that I was like, oh, I can't do this and I'll get I want to be like, I don't think so, honey, Little Broadway counts complaining about two lines of Revenge Party when I bring you Renee Rap, I bring you Quell Spyby. This is why we can't have.
Speaker 2: She show up to I was like she did.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's fucking that's her.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When the real the original movie came out, she wasn't.
Speaker 2: No, this is see and I wonder if that's gonna happen. Is like now we're gonna start watching it and it's gonna look like, in terms of fashion, like really dated, and I'm gonna be like, oh my god, no, it's becoming the clueless of it all, where you watch Clueless now and you're like, oh, can you imagine why wearing that it's gonna be like that.
Speaker 3: So no, no, but for me, like the fashions of those movies are like Frozen and Namber, you know what I mean. It's like said all back now.
Speaker 2: If you if you walk out the room looking like Sharon Dane, you'll get the coolest bitch at the part.
Speaker 3: It's not even the loop back around. It's just like that just kind of looks cool in the world of the movie. Anyway. Okay, we end every episode with the song.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 3: With Me. Who wouldn't want to follow in love with me?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you should be off Bush Readers five