Speaker 1: Welcome to the Way, and I Danielle Alarcon.
Speaker 2: I'm John Green and today we're joined by the invisible puppet master behind our entire operation, our producer Sean Titone.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: Sean, Hey, John, Hey Daniel.
Speaker 1: Good to see you guys, as always good to see you man.
Speaker 2: So we're waiting on a mail bag show and I think that's very important, and that's why we've got Sean today. He's going to ask us questions and help us through the mail bag. Thank you for all your questions at awayndpod at gmail dot com. But today we need to do something first, which is congratulate our friend Daniel on his big winning of the Premier League.
Speaker 1: It's huge. It's huge for me personally. It's also I want to take full I want it all by myself. Is an accomplishment for me. No, I want to say this like m the You know, there's been a bunch of content that has been produced after this this win. Eliseo, my son, who was on the show a couple months ago, was quick to remind me, as adolescents will, that he was right and I was wrong. Because if the listeners will recall, after I went to London and saw the worst game of the season. I was bereft, I was despondent. I was mired in a kind of existential funk, thinking that it was over. Alisa came on the show and uh, and he basically was like, no, Bobby, you're wrong. And so who's your favorite team.
Speaker 4: Like national team or both the Columbia national team, okay, or the Arsenal.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. It's the right answer.
Speaker 2: That's great, Aliso, You're gonna win the Premier League. Don't listen to your dad.
Speaker 4: No, I'm confident.
Speaker 1: I love the confidence. He's confident.
Speaker 4: It's they have to play against Villa, our toughest opponents, Newcastle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Newcastle's tough, but it's.
Speaker 2: Not Villas fourteenth Daniel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah okay. Edisale speaks with the confidence of a young man whose heart has not been broken, and so immediately after the win, in like sort of like twinned with his happiness and his sort of feeling of satisfaction as a fan. Was his feeling of satisfaction, happiness that he was able to say to his father, I was right and you were wrong, which was like almost as I think pleasurable for him as winning was. It was it was as great. It's been great, it's been beautiful. I wasn't expecting to be so emotional about it, but it really does feel like a like something, something really lovely and special, and it doesn't happen every year. It won't happen every year, and for that very reason, it's it's something to really save her. Now. If the Knicks end up winning, then this will be my greatest sports year ever. And if Columbia wins the World Cup, then I should just retire from sports because there's nothing more that I could ever ask for in a single calendar year. You know, you've had this experience down I never have, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty special though. I mean, it really does feel like I remember when Liverpool won the Premier League in twenty twenty. I just felt like a huge weight had been lifted. I felt excited and happy, but I also felt relieved because you know, all those times that Manchester United fans for the last thirty years had sung you'll never win the league instead of you'll never walk alone. I just felt like, well, that should shut them up for a bit, and it has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has. Yeah, so there's that feeling.
Speaker 2: But you've also got to feel a measure of joy in the camaraderie of it, in the other Arsenal fans you know, of who's getten through the last twenty two years with you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean I got texts from friends in Lima, in London, in New York, in Oakland, in Kenya, you know, like, I heard from fans from all over and then and I posted. I don't post much on Instagram, but I posted like a couple of pictures and just sort of like a little thing about how happy I was, and got so many nice comments. And my friends who hate Arsenal were dignified enough to not post like comments on my post. And generally it's been it's been really lovely to hear from friends.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: When I was in London, I went with two clumbing friends to the game, and I remember walking around and we talked about it on the show walking around after the game, and how everyone was just like cars would pass by and people would hang out of the cars and make fun of us, you know, calling us, you know, cause we were wearing our like sad kits, you know, our little our red jerseys, and we were walking around London looking for a place to eat and just feeling kind of sad, and people were like bottlers, bottlers, you know, like everything. We were getting all this hate and we couldn't do anything about You couldn't say anything because we hadn't won anything, you know, and now we have and you know, kind of feels different, you know.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's great, Well you're a champion. There is a key here, though, which is then winning the Premier League does not make you a better person. The Great podcast host Michael Davies have pointed this out. Yeah, it does not make you a better person, and if you're not careful, it makes you a worse one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's that's fair. That's fair. I haven't noticed a steep decline in my like moral compass since last Tuesday, but I'll keep an eye out. Yeah, well, thank you. Got to look out for it, Sean, and I will let you know. Yeah I did. I did appreciate the text that you guys sent and the congratulations and it felt nice. It felt nice. I got, you know, and I started off by saying, how you know, like that it felt like a huge accomplishment, as if I had accomplished anything, but the way people were congratulating me and genuinely happy for me. It felt almost as if I had done something. And I guess what I did do is watch you know, ninety percent of Arsenal games over the last you know, two decades or a decade and a half basically, and follow the team and know the players, and follow the stories and cheer for them and hope for them and think about the team. And I guess that that helps. You know, when I've been in the stadium, I've cheered my heart out and sang the songs and you know, and I've been with friends. You know, I remember seeing a guy when we beat Chelsea. We scored the season, we scored a goal in like the last minute, and there was a guy in the bar next to me. There's an Arsenal bar here in Bouta, And at the end of the game he was weeping and his girlfriend was like like rubbing his face like this like it's gonna it's going to be okay. And I and you know, as much as it as silly as it is to get invested in the fortunes of a team that plays eight thousand kilometers from where you currently call home, you know, try explaining that to that guy. You know, like, that's what this means. And it was very special and I also wondered about his home life. But it's a lovely thing. It's a lovely thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, a football club is not the players who play for it, right, because those players change. And it's not the manager because that person changes. And it's not the kit man because that person changes. A football club is the people who love it, and of course that also changes, but there's continuity there between the people who love it, among the people who love it, and that's what the football club is.
Speaker 1: So like you did win the Premier League.
Speaker 2: I don't think that, you know, I don't want to minimize that accomplishment, because it is an accomplishment that you are the football club in many ways, and so the club being bigger than anyone within the institution is precisely what makes football so magical to me. It's not the person who owns it. It's not the players who play on the pitch. It's all of us together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and still mckel won't answer my texts. It's strange. I mean, there is that. There is that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One day, a glossy magazine will offer you a three day adventure with mikel Arteta, that'll turn into a one hour, really bad interview. But not today. Today, we're going to answer some questions in our mail bag Sean, let's dive right into it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is I think you know, it's our long awaited mail bag show. I will say with both of you guys that some of our listeners will remember we did do a mail bag show earlier. In the away end it was just me and Daniel very last minute when John was unable to join.
Speaker 1: But uh, when John was testifying in a federal case. Sean, well, yes, yes, allegedly allegedly. Yeah, I just say, just to draw parallel from what John just said, the away end is not our show, it's your show. And you guys, right, this is great that Charles and and and it really feels special to be able to to to answer them, and and it's also cool. We got emails from all over the world, which is really exciting. So let's do it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, uh, you know, next week we'll be back to our usual uh banter deep dive story.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we've got so.
Speaker 3: Many good emails, so we're gonna we're gonna jump in, all right, This one is from Alan. Alan says, Hello, John and Daniel. As a football novice but fervent supporter of Bergamo uh it leaves Adelanta b C. I have been thoroughly enjoying the podcast. Just yesterday I gave the salutorian speech my high school graduation, a speech that I built around a quote from the show, though I admittedly heard it first on a VLOGG Brothers episode. That quote is of all the unimportant things, football is the most important, by Pope John Paul. I. Like I said, though I'm a novice, so I chose to talk about an unimportant thing I am more of an expert on, and that's being a lacrosse goalie.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: This brings me to my question. I've been teased a few times by my friends who are more familiar with football than I am because I've said that my favorite player is Marco Keannaseki, the superstar keeper for Atalanta. They seem to say that no one considers goalies their favorite players, and as a goalie, this hurts and I would love to know what you think about this keeper slander. Great question, yeah all, and nobody has keepers as their favorite player.
Speaker 1: That's weird. Oh I love David Rya.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you love David Rya, but not like you love Soaka. Look, I'm going to say this.
Speaker 1: I think there's a strong case to be made that David Raya is this season's most valuable player for Arsenal. I think he's you know, the certainty and the assuredness that he brings to the team is remarkable. The confidence that the defenders have to play the way they do knowing that he's behind them, The way he organizes the defense, the way he dominates his box, the big saves that he's made that are just you know, he's a catlike. Yeah, but generally, you know, like you won't see a goalie, uh in the in the discussion for ballond or you know, the kind of the biggest prize for individual players. But you know who was a goalie. Albert Camu was a goalie. You know, like goalies are freaking crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're kind of they're a different stock. They god, they they're they're fearless. They put their body in the line in ways that other players don't. You see them diving into the scrum to grab the ball. I mean, you know, that's a dangerous games, that's arguably the most dangerous position, and their bravery and fearlessness, you know, not to call it recklessness, is something to be admired or at the very least respected.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I also think that some of the goalie slander, and you're right alan that it is unfair, dates back to the age when all goalies did was catch the ball with their hands or try to stop the ball from going in the net. Now, the position of goalie is vastly more complicated because you have to be a brilliant distributor of the ball, you have to have an understanding of space, you have to be able to use all four of your limbs with incredible dexterity. You know, in many ways, it's become the most challenging position on the field, and a lot of the you know, goalies are just sort of brave people with quick reaction times. Way of thinking about the position I think is outdated. And that's true of lacross too, by the way, right, lacrosse goalie is not just about how how many shots you stop. It's also about how well you distribute the ball after you stop a shot. So yeah, I think that with that emergence of of of the role of goalkeeper. We need to be more respectful of the position.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so the goalkeeper is not just your last line of defense but also your first line of attack, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, And the best goalkeepers get assists.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you guys think that keepers feel the most pressure of all of the positions on the team because they are that last line of defense in some way, It's like.
Speaker 1: I do Sewan in this one unique way, which is that if you if you, if you make a mistake in the midfield or up front, it doesn't always lead to a goal, but if you make a mistake as a as a goalie, it leads to a goal nine times out of ten. So that you're you're there's like a bigger spotlight trained on your errors, and no one is error free over the course of a game or over the course of a season. But you know, midfielders will lose a duel all the time, and you know, then something happens and event you know, eventually a goal get scored. And generally people don't point the finger at someone who lost the ball in ninety seconds earlier, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but for god, yeah, I think the cost of mistakes is higher, and then also the benefit of doing your job is lower, you know, like, very rarely are saved celebrated like goals. Occasionally they are. I remember there was one save the Jersey du Deck made in two thousand and five during the Champions League Final against Schifchenko that was the most amazing save I've ever seen in my life, and that was celebrated a little bit like a goal. But you've got to have a really special save for it to be celebrated like an ordinary goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think I think of the West Ham game Matteos Fernandez is in on goal one on one and and uh that I just stood stayed big, stayed big for as long as possible and forced them to go in near post and saved with a kicksabe And that arguably one is you know, one is the title. So yeah, I think I have in my head when I think of the highlights of this season, there's five or six game saving, point winning saves that the David Reyah made that deserve as much credit as a as a goal here or there. You know.
Speaker 3: All right, well you guys ready to move on to the next Yeah, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Hello, John and Daniel, I'm not a big sports fan, but I enjoy your perspectives on soccer, especially the personal or historical stories. I have a question, is there such a thing as a compelling pre or postgame interview? Whenever I catch an interview on the radio, it seems to me that coaches and players use the same old, vague and diplomatic phrases. But I'm also at a loss as to what they're supposed to say that's more interesting than we gave it, are all or our opponent proved to be the better team. I'm looking forward to following the Men's World Cup exclusively through the lens of your podcast.
Speaker 1: Cheers. Moretz love this question. I love this question. Yeah, don what do you want from a postgame interview?
Speaker 2: Occasionally you'll see a postgame interview that is really honest and it's always shocking, or when somebody's able to penetrate the morass of sport related cliche and find a way to express something that's fresh or original or exciting. But it's very occasional. The only thing I'll say is that there is something worse than the bland, boring press conference, which is Mohammed Salah going to the press every time Mohammed Sala like went out into the press area.
Speaker 1: In his entire.
Speaker 2: Liverpool career, it was to deliver an absolute bomb. That was like, I have no confidence in the manager or my teammates are not playing with the fire that I would appreciate. Like, it was always to deliver an attack.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'd rather you be bland than that. I was thinking about this question a lot, actually, and I remembered there was a guy at NBA's you know, leaving the world of football for a moment. There was an NBA sideline report named Craig Sager who was known for wearing these wild suits, right yeah, And in the playoffs, I can remember what season it was, like, first seed was LA and last seed was the Timberwolves, and the Timberwolves won the game one surprised everybody, and Kevin Garnett gave a you know, immediately after the whistle gave us gave an interview to Craig Sager, and of course everyone had counted out the t Wolves, and Garnett says to Craig Sager, he goes like, we're like you in that suit. We don't care what people say. And I just remember thinking, man, I love KG I love him. Yeah, you know. Also, I think these guys are it's so rare. Yeah. Have you seen John or Sean? Have you seen interviews with Cole Palmer? Yes, man, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I feel bad watching them. I feel guilty, like I feel like I'm watching footballer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uncomfortable. It's uncomfortable. I don't know what to say about it. But if anyone here is listening, I don't want to use any adjectives or make any long distance diagnoses. But uh, man, wow.
Speaker 2: He does seem disengaged with the world of the press, is what I would say about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like the media training didn't take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's possible he's disengaged in a larger way, like with.
Speaker 1: It reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with Cole Palmer, I do wonder. I know this, this person has an interior life that is as complex and rich as my own. But he doesn't seem to want to share with the media.
Speaker 1: That's for sure. Yes, and that's possibly a generous interpretation. I'm not going to say anymore because I don't want to slander someone that I've never met, who I'm sure is a nice person despite playing for Chelsea. But yeah, I think I think more. It's two things. I think you should also watch the games, not just listen to our pod. And I think you just have to learn to live with bland postgame interviews, because that's how elite athletes now are trained to engage with the media.
Speaker 2: You know, well, I have to say I've had a lot of media training, and the main thing media training attempts to do is make it so that you don't end your career by saying something stupid. And when the prospect of like ending your career by saying something stupid is sitting on one of your shoulders, the other shoulder is like, be bland, Be bland at all costs.
Speaker 1: Right, Wow, I haven't had any media training. You never had media training? No, oh, man, I've had.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of it. Really really beat the individuality out of me.
Speaker 1: But and yet your career continues. So here you are, and.
Speaker 2: Yet like, if you watch me in an interview, you'll be like, now, there's a guy who is looking to deflect every question that he's asked and return it to the issue of at hand, which is that His new novel, Hollywood Ending, comes out on September twenty second, is available for pre order.
Speaker 1: Now there's a guy who has two kids to put through college. Yeah, exactly, all right.
Speaker 3: I will say I've been on the other really quick. I've been on the other side of it, where I've been the inner viewer, not on camera, but where I've interviewed people after a sporting event and tried to get those answers. And there is nothing worse than talking to an athlete or whomever you're talking to who is either giving you one word answers or very bland answers, and it will make a two minute interview feel like an eternity and you're just like ready to be done with it as quickly as possible. But you know, in your back of your mind, you're like, I have to if it's live or not live, I'm going to have to edit this later, so I need to get some kind of good answers out of this person, hopefully to use for whatever I'm going to be editing.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm always thankful. I was always thankful for people that had a really good answer to certain questions. And maybe the bland answers just make the more unconventional answers all the more enjoyable when they do have.
Speaker 2: That's more you'll shine through, sure, true, like watching a boring game of football makes football richer and more exciting when it's good. Yeah, all right, we're going to take a break and we'll be back with more of your questions shortly.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back on your way in Sean. What do we got? All right?
Speaker 3: Dear Daniel and John, Is there a particular way that you feel sport has shaped your perspectives, helped in your career or in your personal life? Perhaps his parents Love from London, North London Forever Jess, Hmmm, Yes, it's a deep one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There was a time when my boys were younger when I kept in my pocket red cards and yellow cards, uh, and and they would do something annoying and I would just you know, put up with the yellow card. And this really worked, you know, and like you know, you didn't want to get a double yellow at a playdate, you know, And this was actually a really good parenting technique. And I think in my career, I think I spoke about this on the way and but I've gotten to play soccer in some pretty crazy places and it's always helped me make friends when I've moved to new places, new towns, or make friends in the context of reporting, and have sort of a baseline set of shared knowledge that I can draw upon with almost anybody that I that I meet around the world. So that's been super helpful.
Speaker 2: What about you, John, Yeah, I would say that part of it for sure is true for me as well, that you know, anywhere I travel, football is a common language and we can talk about that. You know, it's not universal. Of course, not everybody's a football fan, but a lot of people are, and that's a good point of connection, shared side of interest. The other thing I would say, though, is something else we've talked about a lot on the pod, which is that soccer players at a really elite level have an unbelievable amount of self belief. They really think that they can do things that are exceptional and hard. And that's true not only for you know, players for Arsenal who just lifted the Premier League trophy. It's also true for players in the third and fourth divisions of English football. They have to believe that they are really, really good and that they are capable of extraordinary things, and that when they stick together they can, for instance, if they get an FA Cup tie against Liverpool, that they can beat Liverpool. They have to believe that. And I've learned in my career that that ability to tell yourself that you belong and you are good is really useful. Y'all knew me when I was fifteen years old. I am not somebody who has a lot of inborn built in confidence. I didn't grow up with a ton of confidence. I grew up nerdy and bullied and uncomfortable. And I learned, partly from watching sports, that you just have to believe in yourself. It's really really important no matter what you do in life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely love that. Thank you, Jess. That was a great question. North London Forever. Okay, what's next, Jean.
Speaker 3: Hello, John and Daniel. In your episode with Simon Cooper, it was mentioned that Team USA would be playing quote practical soccer while other countries will play quote beautiful soccer in the upcoming World Cup. I do not know what this means. I've tried to understand the difference between MLS and Premier League play styles, but I just do not know what to look for between these leagues regardless. Does quote beautiful football mean better football or is considered a specific style of play. There's any insight either of you would be able to provide, I would appreciate it. Brand And he's referencing, you know, Simon Cooper. We had the great Simon Cooper, author of the most recent book World Cup Fever, on a previous episode of The Away End. You guys had a great conversation with him. If you haven't listened to that episode, go check that one out as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is a really great question. You want to go Tom, sure. I think part of it is how you set up to play. You know, so you set up one way usually to play when you have the ball, in one way when you don't have the ball, and a lot of teams that are playing sort of practical football that don't have the talent level of their opponents are going to set up with what sometimes called a low block. They're going to set up in a really defensive position and try to kind of withstand pressure. And then when they have the ball, which they know will be for a minority of the game, they you know, organize themselves differently or they try to focus on counterattacking, so getting the ball back and then moving very very quickly up the field. And trying to make something happen that way. That way of playing football is generally considered, although perhaps unfairly, less beautiful, less moving, less like visually exciting and interesting and intricate than you know, like the way Brazil or the Netherlands play football, where everybody is touching the ball all the time, and you know, the sort of total football of the Dutch from the nineteen seventies where you know, your your your defenders can become attackers and your attackers can become defenders, and everybody is moving in a very flowing, coordinated, open way.
Speaker 1: Is that fair to say, Daniel, Or have I missed something? Yeah? No, I think that's that's exactly right. I think you know, this season Arsenal one. I'm sorry I keep referencing this thing that happened because it's prettympore to me. But you know, a lot of the critique I think was fairly lobbed at Arsenal was that it wasn't a particularly beautiful game to watch. They scored a lot of goals from corner kicks, they from set pieces. Uh, pretty turgid offensively and just impenetrable defensively. Uh, you know, Titanic defenders. So I think, you know, next weekend, uh Arsenal's playing PSG in the Champions League Final. PSG is a team that has played much less football than Arsenal because of the way the league League league is set up, and they save their best, very best players to for for for Europe, and they play an incredible attacking I mean, they're just irresistible to watch, and it's really gonna be a clash of styles. And I would say to Brandt, you know, watch that game, or even just watch the highlights of you know, uh Arsenal Atletico and then watched the highlights of uh PSG Byron of the first leg of either of those games. Both that were very entertaining games in their own way, but for the untrained eye, you know, the PSD Byron game was box office. I mean that was incredible. You know, it had everything. It was just attacking, attacking, attacking, two teams of incredible attacking talent who seemed not that interested in playing defense, just seeing who could you know, it was like a basketball game, who can who can score more? The Arsenal game was attritional, was very tactical, both teams sort of playing within themselves, and you know ended up in a draw one one. It's totally different and you could you know, that's probably the starkest difference. And then you'll see a huge difference on Saturday in the Champions League Final because Arsenal's not going to go out there to try to play expansive, free flowing you know, front to back and in like six intricate one touch passes through the midfield of PSD. It would be it would be silly to do that. What they're going to do is try to narrow the game and hit them on the counter or hit them on a set piece, you know, and that's what's gonna happen, because it just doesn't make sense, you know. I think both are great once you know, I understand why Arsenal got so much criticism this season for playing that way. I also think that if you look at you know, there's reasons why you end up playing that way. Injuries, you know, playing against the low block all the time forces you to try different things, including set pieces, to try to you know, break the dead luck. I don't know's it's I find it all kind of fun. I've definitely seen boring games in my life, but a really kind of Cagy tactical game can be fun to watch as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as for the difference between MLS and the Premier League, I think that you're right to not be able to see a visual difference.
Speaker 1: Like they both cross the ball really well.
Speaker 2: I mean they're probably a little more somewhat more crosses into the box in MLS, but like they both cross the ball well, they both switch fields of play well. MLS is a little slower pace of it is a little slower, and you can you can tell that difference. The players are more likely to be walking, which is why it's also a great league if you're thirty eight year old li at all MESSI but I think they're you know, technically very good and the level of you know, like that basic technical stuff is pretty high. Where you will really see the difference is if you come watch an AFC Wimbledon game with me, then you'll be like, oh, I get it. Like these are like you know, these are long passes where lots of people are heading it and then they're heading it and then they're heading it and nobody really has the ball forty minutes of the ninety minutes, and there you can see the difference.
Speaker 1: I want to say one more thing about this In Spanish, In Spanish announcers, you know, proven announcers, I'll say this, Well, when someone kicks the ball high, they'll say dividel ballogne. You know, like when someone just clears the ball away, they're like, he just divided the ball. And it's basically like, you know, he didn't say like he cleared it, he spang, did he you know, defensive clear? No, it's like divided ballone, meaning he got the ball away and now we don't know who's going to get it. And there's it's a bit of a pejorative because like you should be you know, even defensively building right, And I think that that, you know, that's one of the things that if you have a high level of technical play, then you're more likely to be able to do that successfully.
Speaker 2: But you have to have the quality to build, and a lot of exacts don't have the quality to build.
Speaker 1: I have a good friend, my friend Luke Dempsey, who told me that when he was growing up at England he's a little bit older than us, you put the worst players in the midfield because basically you would kick it, you know, as hard as you could as high as you could over the midfield. It was equivalent of being like playing softball as a kid and you suck, so they put you in the outfield. So the midfield players barely ever touched the ball. You go straight from defense to attack, and often with the you know ballon DVD deal, you know, the ball was divided between two teams and then it would just bounce around until someone would get a shove. You know. That's obviously changed, you know, tremendously, and now you put your best players in the midfield, your most technical players, your players who were most assured or two footed, you know, and put them in the field because they can distribute and they can do things that you otherwise would be able to do.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go to our next question. Hi, Daniel, John and Sean. My question is specifically for Daniel, can you please explain to me the allure of the North London Derby. I've been following soccer for a long time, but as an American, it took me a while to choose a European team to support. However, a few years ago, after many years of waffling, I made the highly dubious decision to support Tottenham in part having been romance by the beautiful play and gleeful smile of the now departed sun hung men. Now a few years in, I still don't get the allure of the North London Derby. That is, I don't get why I'm supposed to dislike Arsenal. As a longtime Arsenal supporter yourself, I'd be interested. I'd be interested to hear any insight into this matter. You may have thanks and keep up the great work, Evan god I love this question, John, I love this question. Okay, So there's there are historical reasons, and there's also the most important reason, which is like, the reason you buy into rivalry is because it's part of belonging, you know. And I think as a as a Spurs fan, Evan, you should hate Arsenal because that's part of the kind of contract, you know, that's part of what you signed on for. And so the historical reasons, I'll just jump into these, because Arsenal is a team that was originally formed in South London fifteen workers at this munitions factory that was called Woolwich, and that club was founded in the late eighteen hundreds, originally called Dial Square, then Royal Arsenal and Woolwich Arsenal eventually just Arsenal.
Speaker 1: In nineteen thirteen, Arsenal moved from South London to Highbury and this was just four miles down the road from Whitehart Lane, which was Tottenham Stadium, and that's where the beef begins. They played before, but it wasn't a Darby, it wasn't a rivalry because they were just two teams from London, from different parts of London. When Arsenal moved in and encroached upon Tottenham's territory, that's when the rivalry began, and it's basically just a neighborhood beef, like who's the king of North London is the thing. The rivalry escalated a few years later, and this is I think Tottenham fans and Tottenham historians have a legitimate beef here because the English top flight expanded to twenty two teams and Tottenham was one of the teams that had been relegated. So one of the options was just to keep the teams that have been relegated and then add a few more. But the Powers would be skipped over Tottenham and grabbed Arsenal from the league below. They'd finished like sixth in the league below and brought them up to expand the league. And you know what, that's super unfair and that sort of cemented sort of the historical reasons why Tottenham and Arsenal do not get along. But you know, I mean, Darby's are just rivalries just mean more. And so you can have a shit season if you're an Everton fan, if you have a bad season, but you beat Liverpool, you know, and if you do the unthinkable, which is like be Liverpool at Anfield, that's a great season. That's that's one of the moments that you have. And winning at white Hart Lane or winning at Tottenham Stadium is better than winning at Brighton. You know. It's just it's just more pleasurable, you know. And I would just encourage you, Evan, just to lean into it, man, lean into it and enjoy it. One day you're gonna beat us and it's going to be great. Could happen next season? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think about this in the context of whether it's possible to create an US that doesn't also create a them. You know, to what extent can we create strong communities that don't have others? And I think it's really hard. It's a lot easier to make that US affairs of them, and this is a relatively healthy way to do it, as long as you remember that it's just a construct and it's not real, and like you know, Tottenham fans are not like inherently better or worse than Arsenal fans. It's just, uh, it's just a way of strengthening the sense of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and I use I use hate in air quotes, you know, like the rival recourse. I know is it's it's all it's all fun and games, and it's not. It's not and nor should it be anything more than that, you know, uh and yeah, and there's it's really hard sometimes because there's so much furvor and emotion around these games, and you see it all over the world where fandom becomes something else that it shouldn't be. You know, that is not it's not about belonging. It's about you know, it's about violence and anger and and rancor. And that isn't any fun for anybody. So don't lean into that, evan, lean into the fun parts of a rivalry and celebrate your team and congratulations for staying up. All right, So let's take a quick break, guys, and we'll come back with a few more questions and then a story from a listener.
Speaker 2: All right, we're back on the away and Sean, what's our next question?
Speaker 3: Hello, John and Daniel. In my life, I have deeply loved two football teams, the US women's national team and Liverpool. They have both given me so much over the years, from epic highs to devastating lows and some of the best people in the world. But as happens with the all professionals sports teams, they change over time. Players retire or get traded, managers rotate through and the team that you fell in love with doesn't really exist anymore. To me, this feeling is like a prolonged, excruciating breakup that you have no control over it, and I can't seem to figure out how to get over it. As season team supporters who have seen many, many versions of the teams you love, do you get this feeling too, and if so, how.
Speaker 1: Do you deal with it? Jamie?
Speaker 2: I am devastated when a player I really love leaves the football club, like I remember when Roberto Fromino left Liverpool. It was like a not like a close family member had abandoned me, but like a first cousin or something was like, I don't want you in my life anymore.
Speaker 1: I want to go to Saudi.
Speaker 2: Arabia now, and I was really actively sad, which I know is ludicrous. Roberta Formo doesn't think about me, and nor should he when he's making his decisions about his footballing career. But I guess the benefit of having been a long term fan is that you see all those people come back. You know, you see that. You just know that Roberta Fermino is going to return to anfield twenty years from now, and he's going to hear those same songs that we sung for him when he was a player, and he's gonna cry, and he's gonna have his kids with him, and his kids are going to be twenty years old and playing for Barcelona's youth team or something. You just you're able to zoom out and see that in the context of this being part of Liverpool or the US women's national team will always have been an important part of these people's lives, and so they aren't really all the way gone just because they've they've moved on or retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, that's a great answer. I also think that the the trajectories of teams and the fallow periods are what make the Swede moments all the all the sweeters. So you see a player go and your heartbroken, especially when players go to a bigger club or for more money or for the chances to win the trophies that your particular club can't offer at the moment. And then you know, some kid from the academy shows up and embodies the values of the club or the values that you associate with your club, and loves the shirt and just loves playing for the team and brings new energy, and then you fall in love all over again. And that's part of the process of loving a team and supporting a team. And with the national team it's the same, you know. You know there are good there are players that we have not really heard of yet who in six weeks time will be household names across the world who are going to make their mark on this tournament and do beautiful, amazing things for their national teams and become heroes, you know, And that's a really exciting thing to not yet know who those players are.
Speaker 3: Can I just note that when Jamie said, as seasoned team supporters who have seen many, many versions of the teams you love. I felt that I felt that a little bit. It do a little bit like an attack. They could have just said one mini would have sufficed, but yeah, two many.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was asked to when I was playing in New York a few years ago. I was asked to join a team and I was like, guys, I'm pretty old, and he's like, yeah, but the club has lots of different age levels, and the age level that I was asked to play in was the age level was Legends. It was like deceased, you know. I was like, oh wow, And then I want to play with Legends and I couldn't. I couldn't hang. They were in such good shape. These were all like fifty five year old guys, who could, you know, run for days. I was like, nah, I can't do it. I can't do it anyway, all right.
Speaker 3: Next question, Hello Daniel and John. What do you think of the straight red card rumored to be a new rule in this Men's World Cup for any player who covers his mouth during a dispute with an opposing player. It feels kind of bonkers, but maybe it's grounded in something that I'm not getting with Giant appreciation for all you were doing in your pod. Liz from Washington State, Liz, there is an unfortunate reason that this has to be a rule, And the reason, I'm sorry is that people around the world are racist. And there have been multiple incidents of people players covering their mouths and then saying something racist, and then a player reporting it and not either not being believed or being dismissed or being booed by opposing fans and some teams who are also racist, and the whole thing is ann fortunate, just reality of the world that we live in. I wonder how closely this rule is going to be enforced. I think so many yeah, so many players just have the habit of doing this because you don't want the cameras to pick up if you're having a conversation about tactics or who's going to take the free kick or whatever. And it's just becomes such a habit that some player is going to accidentally cover their mouth not say something racist, you know, but just to have a conversation with another player on the pitch, and they might get a red card.
Speaker 1: And I'm worried about that. But there is a reason, and that's the reason there is a good reason.
Speaker 2: I'm worried that it will be enforced haphazardly, or that it'll be somebody who accidentally covers their mouth while saying something totally innocuous and gets a red card, and that's such a huge shift in the overall vibe of a game that it would be a catastrophic mistake player to make. And so I just I worry about that. But I absolutely understand that you know, this is this has been a problem over and over and over again, and every time the offending player says, well, I didn't say anything, and they're they always set it behind their hand so that you can't read their lips or and the referee might not hear it, and so you know.
Speaker 1: It's it.
Speaker 2: It comes from an important place. We'll see how it's actually implemented.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's going to be curious. It's going to be curious.
Speaker 1: And I'm reminded of something in Simon Cooper's book where he talks about the way referees for World Cups are chosen, and it's not necessarily because they're the best referees, you know, because FIFA and all the federations that are beneath FIFA the national organizations sort of suffer from the same level of corruption. You're not going to necessarily get the greatest refs around. You're just going to get someone who is you know, plucked from their national league and thrown into the mixer, and they either don't have the training, they might not have the expertise, or they might not have the cohonis to make you know, the right calls at the right moments. So adding this kind of rule, although I support anything that we can do to sort of stamp out racism in the game and in the world. You know, let's see how it works. It could really backfire, but it remains to be seen. But that is the reason. Liz, all right, Sean, what have we got? All Right?
Speaker 3: We have a pretty epic story here from listener William. You know, as a way and listeners know, you know, we usually end the podcast with a story from one of you guys, but when we got this email from William, we felt like it deserved to end today's episod. So yeah, we will dive in here to his story. William. It's a great story. Dear John and Daniel. I was sixteen, the brain of the Vuvazela dominated the halls of my Long Island High School, and all of my friends and I followed along with the games as best as we could. I grew more and more excited as the tournament progressed. That year, the school's foreign language class trip was to Spain and we would be there during the semi final and final matches. Fast forward to the trip and twenty five high schoolers are going from city to city in Spain with some teachers as chaperones. We watched the semifinal match while we're there, and we celebrate with the country that they're going to the final. The whole country was electric. I had never felt anything like it in the United States, and to this day, I still have not. We were going to watch Spain play for the World Cup while actually in Spain. It was going to be amazing. My friends and I immediately went to our teachers, who we were on great terms with, and tried to figure out where we would be watching the final. We thought that this was a dream come true for us and them. What better cultural immersion for a foreign language class than this.
Speaker 1: Well, as it.
Speaker 3: Turned out, our itinerary was already set for that time. Our teachers had months beforehand scheduled a party cruise for all of us. It was meant to be a river cruise in Sevilla, where we'd get the chance to hang out with other people our age. I had never in my life argued to get out of a party more than I did for us to skip that cruise. My friends and I desperately tried to explain that there was no way that anyone would be on that boat during the final I honestly wasn't even sure it would be manned with a crew.
Speaker 1: In the way.
Speaker 3: Only Americans who don't understand that football is the world's sport could be. My teachers confidently asserted that plenty of people would be there, regardless of the game listeners they were. The total population of this river cruise turned out to be twenty five American high schoolers, three American high school teachers, one young American couple, two very upset bartenders. It was a dry cruise, and presumably the captain of this fine vessel. My friends and I spent the entirety of the cruise with the bartenders huddled around a radio, desperately trying to follow along with the game. We floated along the river seeing watch parties at beautiful luxury riverside homes go by. At one point, the captain slowed down as much as possible because one of these parties was projecting the game onto the side of a building. Those few minutes were the only part of the final that I ever got to watch. Then, of course, Spain won in the country erupted. If I thought the tournament was electric, this was something else.
Speaker 1: Entirely.
Speaker 3: We watched from our hotel rooms that night, as the partying never stopped on the streets below. Our tour guide and bus driver told us how they celebrated all night running through the fountains in the city. Since then, all I've wanted was for the US to experience that kind of energy. The love and excitement that can come from the sport is something I've truly never seen replicated elsewhere. I hope fervently that hosting this World Cup would do it, but I have to say I am not confident that it will. Maybe one day.
Speaker 5: Best William, amazing, amazing, that's so such a great way to watch slash.
Speaker 1: Listen to the final. Oh god, this is the absence of it, just like the longing. You know you can see from the boat, but you're just like that far offshore and you can't leave, and you're a kid too, you know. And the bartenders with the dry cruise, Oh god, those poor guys. It's a fundamental and he's right. I feel bad for the teachers, but he's right to call him out because it's a fundamental misunderstanding of how this stuff works, you know. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember when the US women's national team won the World Cup back in nineteen ninety six, I think maybe ninety eight. I can't remember for sure, but in the nineties I was working at a ice cream shop outside of Moose Pass, Alaska, and when the final penalty kick went in and Brandy Chastain ripped off her shirt to celebrate, I went outside and I heard one horn honking, and then after a long moment of silence, I heard fuck yeah, America. And that was as close as I've ever come to that, William, That's as close as I've ever come.
Speaker 1: To that feeling. Wow. Yeah, I gotta say I'm very excited to watch the World Cup mostly from Boruta, mostly here in Columbia, because everyone's gonna be watching the World Cup, and it is different. It is different. I think the United States is so big and so vast and contain so many multitudes. There's in any monoculture anymore, and certainly none that embraces football and puts it at its very center, as often happens in other parts of the world. So yeah, it's a different experience. It's gonna be a different experience. I don't think we'll have that level. But maybe in New York, maybe in Philly, maybe in the cities that are hosting World Cup games, in Miami, in Atlanta. You know, you know, I I think if you just you need to seek out those places where people are going to watch the games. I remember I can remember which World Cup it was. It must have been twenty ten, watching the game in in a big plaza in front of City Hall in San Francisco, packed with people. It was a USA England game. Do you remember the game where Rob Green? Rob Green let the ball between his legs. Yeah, yeah, we watched that. Yah, yeah, yeah, that was rough. I watched that in a bar with some buddies. That was a fun game. It was a fun game. So, William, I think you are obviously now an adult who can make your own decisions abou where to watch the games and I would just do everything possible to watch them with friends and family or with people who have kind of, you know, emotional stake in the outcome of the games, you know, with different communities of folks, and that's going to be great. Just it's gonna be a great experience. I loved your story, William, Thank you so much for sharing that with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thanks to everybody who writes in at away ndpod at gmail dot com. We love reading your emails. We'll be sure to read more of them on the air in the future. In the meantime, thank you to Daniel and Sean and Kurt.
Speaker 1: Are edited and producers for.
Speaker 2: All their work.
Speaker 1: And we'll see you next week. See you guys, MHM.