Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to the Joy one to one podcast. Okay, imagine this for a second. You're a kid and you love dancing so much that you go into a competition called so you think you can dance, and you're nervous and your palms are sweaty, and you get out on stage and you wind up finishing twentyeth Okay, what would you say to yourself?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: I wonder if this is for me? I wonder if I should keep doing this. Well, my next guest didn't just keep doing that. My next guest wound up on Broadway and was Tony nominated. My next guest wound up in a musical, A Steven Spielberg musical, nominated for an Academy Award, and won the Oscar. How about that. Ariana Debos is the person who I am talking about. She is an actress who grew up with a single mom, loving dance. She danced since she was three, and she was one of those people who knew what her calling was. Imagine knowing so much that no matter how many times people hit you down, no matter how many times someone said no, not you, there are nineteen other people better than you at this dance competition. Imagine that you come back, and imagine that you get Tony nominated and you are Oscar nominated and you win the Oscar. I mean, there are so many people who are in that category. They don't win earlier in life, but as life rolls on, their winnings come. So this is a fascinating conversation about resilience, about bouncing back, about what is possible, about the heights you can reach. All of these things Ariana Debos possesses. So I hope you enjoyed this conversation. First of all, I'm so happy to have you here.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I met you many many years ago on the Today Show when you were just kind of breaking out. Yeah, you've since become Tony nominated, Oscar winner and all the things. But I want to just hit on something you just said. You went on a solo vacation, and that to me stands out because it takes courage, it takes moxie. I think, did it for you, Like, tell me why you wanted to take a solo vacation and what that did for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'd never been on one, yeah, and I was I'm thirty five now, so I would have been thirty four. Yeah, and I was like, this feels crazy. Yeah. And I had this realization right before I decided to go there was like, all I've done is work. I don't know that ever ever really taken a proper vacation. Like, I'm someone who believes in me time, and I believe in finding those tools to help yourself unwind. And I have them, but not outside of the context of what it is I need to do for myself in order to be able to keep working.
Speaker 1: So this is fill the tank to work. Fill the tank, fill the tank to work. Got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I need to go fill the tank to live. So I was like, I'm gonna go to Greece.
Speaker 1: So you got a ticket, I got it, got a hotel.
Speaker 2: I got a hotel, and like walked around Athens.
Speaker 1: Okay, first you check into your hotel. There you are in your room. You're hungry, yes, So do you go downstairs? Do you go to a restaurant? Oh?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I go for a walk for well, I opened the bottle of rosece.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I ordered to be in my room and I had a little many many moment for myself and then I went for my nice little stroll and what was that like fabulous? Well, it's the area was great, but it's just taking the architecture and energy. And I was like, I will have this panic op the gorgeous like and then you I bopped into just a lovely restaurant that I don't know the name of, but it looked so beautiful and idyllic and the people couldn't have been more lovely.
Speaker 4: So you sat enjoyed me out and I literally just said, I'll have the special And it was this family cabbage recipe with this beautiful lemon sauce on it.
Speaker 1: Oh God, that sounds so good with sit with a book with headphones, with anything, or.
Speaker 2: Is it just you that particular evening, it was just me and I forced myself to like listen to the space I was in and not be afraid of people making eye contact, or not being afraid of having a conversation, or not being afraid of the fact that I don't speak Greek.
Speaker 1: You know, that's so cool. Was were you anxious or did you just kind of fall into it?
Speaker 2: I fell into it, Like I think it's natural to have a little bit of anxiety, but I am a naturally curious person and I'm very curious as an artist, so I just needed to sort of reacc climate. I'm like, I'm in a new space. It's okay for you to feel the nerves of newness. Like there. That made sense to me, and I love that.
Speaker 1: You never know what can happen. You just sparked a memory for me, which is so interesting. So when I was working at a small station in Florida, I had just broken up with my boyfriend. I was like, ah, So I decided I was just going to drive from Fort Myers n Apriles, which was my place, and I just drove to I was going to drive to the key. So I came to the first key, Key Largo, and I found a hotel and I checked in and for some reason, I won't forget it. I was like, I took a shower in the beautiful everything, the beautiful towels and all this stuff, and I went and by then it was late. It was almost like eleven at night, So I'm going to go for a walk. I went for a walk. There was a fishing boat and they said we're going. It was a full moon and they said we're going on a midnight fishing thing. Will you come we need one more to round out this group. So I went and I remember I was like it was midnight. The moon was so bright, it was like it was light on the water. We were fishing. The first fish got a bud light or whatever.
Speaker 2: Fierce.
Speaker 1: Well, we came back to shore. They set up a barbecue and they grilled the fish that we caught, And I remembered thinking, what an awesome option. Yeah, sometimes trying something new is the best. What did you learn about yourself or was there something that came out from this adventure for you?
Speaker 2: It was a really good reminder that I'm capable of doing things on my own, Yeah, and being fully independent.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's the higher I've traveled of the ischelons of entertainment. It's like you're it's just kind of how it feels. So your teams get bigger, you have more people working on your behalf, and and it is in theory really great to have other people doing so many things for you so that you can just focus on the craft. But I can be fully honest and acknowledging like kind of made me a little lazy.
Speaker 1: It's a very good observation.
Speaker 2: I was like, ooh, and I even and to this day, even post that trip, I like really check myself on when I'm starting to lay back right let other people make decisions for you, Yeah, because it's really it's.
Speaker 1: More than just doing it. It's like making decisions about your life for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, being an active participant in the life that you are creating, in the career that you want to have. Like it's such a nice notion to think that you know, there's overnight success and then you know it just sort of magically continues to happen. It doesn't. It takes a lot of work. And I do my best work when I'm aligned, like spiritually and living truly living and going out and experiencing the spontaneity of life helps me stay aligned.
Speaker 1: I love all of this. I love your story from its inception, from the beginning, and I try to imagine you as a three year old who loves dance, You and your mom, the two of you kind of against the world. What was it like being part of that duo of you and your mom.
Speaker 2: I was the greatest. It was just the greatest. I mean, we really had to rely on each other in different ways, and in my childhood, I don't know that I was fully cognizant of what that was. I just knew that this was my mom and we had a special relationship, and she was supposed to take care of me. But I did learn how to take care of her too, whether that be energetically or just her teaching me how to do my chores and me participating was part of me helping to take care of her, and I loved that. I loved that part of it. And even when things were tough, because there were plenty of moments in our life together that were exceptionally challenging, we always found a way through, and we found the way through together.
Speaker 1: What made it challenging? What were the challenging bits?
Speaker 2: You know, my mom was a public school teacher, so finances weren't always abundant, even though they should be. Please pay our educators and please let them actually teach something besides those really and authentic textbooks. But I digress and dance, or at least the kind of dance I was doing, you know, studio Dancing at a studio was expensive, and so I was really blessed, We were really blessed that there were people that came into the path who would would help us whether that be. You know. I remember the day I walked into a dance stat of numer and I met the owner and there was a television that was playing the tape, Oh my god, the VHS tape the guys. It's VHS tape of their recital from the last year. And I was staring at it and they were doing a number to that song Devil in the Blue Dress, which I don't know if young people should really be dancing that song because they were very very young. But I started figuring out the steps.
Speaker 1: Oh, watching this.
Speaker 2: Watching it, and in about ten minutes, I had figured out how to do a timestep. And I was five. Oh my god, that's I learned. Was not normal for a five year old. And she talked to me and she was like, had you ever learned to do that before? I was like, no, I just did it right then. And she turned to my mind. She was like, I would like to help you. I would like to teach her, and so, you know, they essentially kind of scholarshiped me, and that was the beginning of me learning what uh not what generosity looked like, you know, because she just wanted to help help me learn. Her name was Doriy Lightham Benners. Yeah, she was my first sort of introduction of generosity. I believe she's still living in New Vern, North Carolina. Cool.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Did you have music in your house?
Speaker 3: Like? How?
Speaker 1: What do you mean that came to you? Still trying to comprehend. Is that just something inside you that just come.
Speaker 2: I've always loved music. We played music in our home all the time, and we were living with my grandmother, and that would have been like pre five. There was a lot of a lot of Roddy McDowell. I don't know if you've ever heard of Ronnie McDowell, but he was heavily influenced by Elvis. So he had a lot of Ronnie McDowell, a lot of Elvis, a lot of anything from the Motown record label. Yeah, a lot of sixties music, a lot of beach music. So I loved like big sounds, and I love strings, and I love harmonies, and I like, you know, this sounds so crazy, But when we would go visit my great grandmother, who was alive until I was about I think I think I must have been in seventh grade. So I was very grateful to have that relationship with her. Her name was Lorena Wheeler Henry, and she was a fabulous lady. But we would go visit her at her house in Atkinson, North Carolina, and nine times out of ten on Sundays there were reruns of Lawrence Well playing, and I really, like I should have known, I was queer. I really loved watching all the beautiful ladies dance and it wasn't of course, it wasn't American Bandstand, but I also loved that. Yes, like I realized, or in my adulthood, I realized that's where I began to love just watching people dance and the joy it brought them and how comfortable they felt and they moved, yeah, when they moved, And I loved watching how their dresses moved or or I'd ask questions like why is she wearing that she can't move her legs. It's a little too tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. So for you to go on the show, so you think you can dance and to come in you made it through the first round, but you were I think you were eliminated.
Speaker 2: Oh, eliminated first week host.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. So here's my question, because a lot of people who might have faced that elimination no matter what the competition or whatever it was, would have thought, you know what, maybe this was something in my head that I was good at. But in reality, there are already nineteen other kids were better than me on this one single show. How am I gonna make it? Yet you go on to be Tony nominated and win an Oscar? So at that moment, why did you continue?
Speaker 2: That is such a good question. It's never been posed to me like that, because I knew I was good, Like that is actually the long and the short of it. I knew I was good. This just wasn't my room. And if I'm really honest, kind of from the jump like it was something I really wanted to try and to pursue. And you know, like my mom would like always say, against my better judgment, I let her go, but she knew I needed to try. Uh huh. But I think as grateful as I am for that experience, I'm grateful for it in so many other ways because my instincts were kind of blaring from the moment I got to Los Angeles and I really liked the contestants and everything, but there was just something about that space for me that I was never able to relax, and I was always sitting forward, and now that I've continued my spiritual journey, I realized that's my instincts like kicking in, trying to tell me this may not be for me, right, isn't It's okay, this isn't your room, and that's all right. It will be a room for someone else.
Speaker 1: What was the first room that fit right for you that you were like, this is right, this is exactly right.
Speaker 2: I was in New York, I was nineteen, and I walked in, mind you, I didn't accept this job, but I walked in to audition for a non equity production of a chorus line and Bioorcally was conducting the auditions, and I couldn't have been more alive. I was sweating, I was I was just feeling like I dance so big and I've never felt more like It's funny because I wanted to say unstoppable, but it's not the same as in Vincent, But in that moment, I felt larger than lie why.
Speaker 1: Did you turn it down? Well?
Speaker 2: I got offered to bring it on the musical.
Speaker 1: Oh well, okay, and.
Speaker 2: I realized it was like I had it was the first time as a new adult because I considered myself a new adult where I had to use my critical thinking skills, and I really weighed what each job could bring me, and the reality of the situation was Bringing On presented an opportunity for even more growth because Bring It On had never had a Broadway production, And not only would I get to learn from an incredible director choreographer who felt like a new age Fossy, you know, Andy blancam Mueller, but I would get to work to help create a musical that might have a life after this. So I'd get to learn how to make a musical, participate and collaborate, and it potentially had even more job opportunity than this one show that I love so much and I still have yet to actually do a professional production of it could offer me at that time, and it was really hard. It was really hard to say no, I'm not going to go do a course signed with Bioercley.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Part of me is like, what were you thinking?
Speaker 1: Wow? But look how your path was just right. I mean, you talk about your spiritual journey a couple of times, which is clearly your north star. It guides you. There are things pulling you. I'm sure it's like money convenience. This seems like a good thing by all those check boxes. And then there's our gut, which I think sometimes can mislead you because it's filled with all of your past mistakes too. You're like, I don't know't want that again. Yeah, but you have some other your spirits guiding you. So how do you decide? How does your spirit help you, you know, kind of navigate the road.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. Have you ever seen that movie Fools Russian?
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like, it's a deep cut. I know you've seen this movie. But Salma's character talks a lot about signs, like she's very, very Catholic. But she's like, no, the signs are everywhere. It's a sign. And I used to think that I was just being like really superstitious. But my spirituality, of course, comes comes from a practice, whether it mean meditation or writing. And like I do, yes, I'm queen of a crystal. I have them all over my home, and I give myself the time to truly like heal, and like when I dance, I see and I see in colors and I feel in colors. And that's all part of my spirit thing that I got going on. I don't know, but there are signs everywhere. Yeah too. And I don't think that. I don't think that that it's convoluted to believe in that. But when my my solar plexus start going off, yeah, and my instincts kick in, and I also see the universe show me something, or play a song for me, or show me a photo of this thing that I'm thinking about bringing back to life. And I'm walking down the street and I have a meeting tomorrow. I'm like, that's a sign.
Speaker 1: That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I just needed that that quick affirmation that that that I'm this is the right choice for me in this moment.
Speaker 1: I'm on the right pan.
Speaker 2: I'm on the right pan.
Speaker 1: Did that work for the Donna Summer Musical?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. She was just showing up everywhere. Couldn't escape her, didn't want to either, but yeah, her, her her songs, her call it her canon. The Summer Cannon kept just playing and I I mean, sure, there's the algorithm these days, and like your phone is listening to you probably, and it's very scary. But even just when I was out and about, i'd walk into a restaurant and that's what was playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So have jobs always come knocking. I feel like you're turning down things. You're following your wisdom. A lot of people have a handout saying, you know, I need this now or I'm in a dry spell. Did you ever have periods where you weren't working and it's not there's no shame in no. I I haven't had that.
Speaker 2: I can only think of one period of time. But I actively chose to take a break for a second. And it was between my second Broadway.
Speaker 1: Show and my third what were those two?
Speaker 2: Motown and Pippin' And it was around the time this is twofold go with me here?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So when I was doing Motown, I also realized there was something else in me that I wanted to explore. Because I was like, oh, I have this is a wonderful job. I'm learning so much. But I also was like, I think there's more in the tank. I think I have more to offer to I had chosen to start doing shows like I just off the whim emailed I believe was Joe's pub I don't know. In my brain, I thought it was a really great idea, and I was like, Hi, my name is Ario out to both and I would really like to play a show in your venue. Can you please let me know what you have available, just full out ask for what I wanted. What happened they responded were like, here's all of our availability.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. So yeah, so you went to Joe's Pub.
Speaker 2: So I played Joe's Pub and I would have and the experience of it was so thrilling but also terrifying because I was like, what was I thinking? I actually have to put butts in seats? How am I going to do that? I don't have a following, like and it was different because like Instagram and the followers of it all hadn't really taken off yet.
Speaker 1: So you were playing Joe's Pub, but.
Speaker 2: I was playing Joe's Pub, and I was figuring out, like, oh, I have to go and talk to people. I have to promote myself. And I realized that. I was like, oh, I'm highly uncomfortable with that.
Speaker 1: I don't how did that go as an experience and what was the like, what was a show at Joe's.
Speaker 2: It was fun, It was really fun. It was kind of all over the place, and that's looking back on it, I was like, well, that is kind of in line with me and my taste, Like I have very eclectic taste in music. We did a version of Oh my God, what was It? That also feels like so many years ago. But we did a Anina Simone tune and it was me and three of my friends, and I deliberately wanted us all to be so different. But then I also turned around and did a version of Annie Lennox is why all? I just put it all in the show.
Speaker 1: When you lin Manuel was a huge influence on you, and I think you said somewhere like it was so fun to see someone who was wildly successful and also kind. I mean, you knew that those two things could coach.
Speaker 2: They can't exist. They really can't.
Speaker 1: See someone who showed you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's a ball of sunshine, you know. And he's just like this big adult nurse, And I think that helps them both hold on to his joy and his curiosity. That doesn't mean things don't get challenging for him. I know they have in the past, but it's just I think watching him navigate his own stardom and maintain his own sense of self and creativity and find new ways to kind of double down on his relationships, like his friendships, Like that's has been very inspirational to me to because it's challenging because you're walking your own journey, because it can feel very isolating when you're having a moment of success and people do what people do, and sometimes your success makes him uncomfortable, or sometimes people shift how they behave around you, or perhaps something shifting in you.
Speaker 1: It could be in all of those things.
Speaker 2: But he's kind of I think he'd be uncomfortable being called a north Star, but he's definitely like an inspiration point that you can do these things and it be okay.
Speaker 1: When Steven Spielberg calls yeah and says, hey, Ariana DeVos, we'd like you to be in West Side Story. We want you to play Anita, the role made famous by Rita Morano. That's a big That was a big.
Speaker 2: Ass Yeah did you say I just did the I still gulp really big and my eyes get very strange. Don't do crazy.
Speaker 1: That phone call? I mean that was a life changer. It was And did you were like you said? With Courseline, that's been made, there's a big shoes. It's a lot people have preconceived notions. Was there any part of you that was thinking, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was terrified of this, absolutely terrifying for so many different reasons. But there also was something intuitively there as well, Like my instincts were alarm bells in the right way, like, girl, don't miss the exit. Take the exit, you need to take this exit, you need to take that phone call, you need to say yeah. Because I had fought it, I've talked about that a lot, like I didn't want to audition. I didn't want to, but then once I got there, I was like, man, this feels really right. Yeah, okay, so all of these things that I'm afraid of, clearly I need to experience that experience. And it's funny, I realized now it takes a lot of courage, and courage is not the absence of fear, but there's something bigger than it, you know, Like that is really courage, and I'm very proud that I was courageous enough to do it, to walk the path. But you know, it's also it's very hard to say, noticed Stevens. He's very persuasive, So was hesive with you honestly at that point, Like I had had a long well what I what felt like a long audition process, and we'd just had a very long final callback day and so I'd spent all day with him, and I felt like we kind of had found we found away with each other. How do you find a way with Steven Spielburg. But I felt good about my experience of him. And when I got that phone call, I was at a nail salon, so I wasn't really in a space to be like, absolutely not. I actually really was in a space to have conversation. But I just remember him talking and I remember him saying, I would like I would like to ask you to be may Anita. And I never forgot that he asked me to do it. Yeah, as opposed to telling me I was going to be it for him.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: That felt very different to me. And of course I said yes, and I'm very glad I said yes. But that was that was crazy.
Speaker 1: Wow, a phone call at the nail salon.
Speaker 2: At the nail salon, okay, and I've really just gone because I'd been so busy trying to prep for my big final callback that my I was doing the Donna Semma musical at the time, and my nails were like Ratty. Yeah, and I felt like there have been a lady in the front row who kept staring at my ratty nails and I was like, cool, I can't do that. So I was in between shows at the nail salon, just trying not to be judged.
Speaker 1: So you were auditioning while you were doing a musical.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, for anybody who knows, doing a musical or anything on Broadway is screwling.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's eight shows a week. It's two on Wednesday and two on Saturday, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, normally you can. Then there are some crazy shows that are like you're gonna do a five show weekend. You're gonna do a two show Saturday, two shows Sunday, and then you're gonna cap it off with a Monday show too.
Speaker 1: Wow. But just imagine the time, energy and effort and heart for someone who loves with their craft so much. It goes into it. So in between that you were auditioning, you get that gig. So fast forward to you're a Wow, everyone's talking about you. How crazy are you? On the Today Show? We're like, girl, ah, you're so excited to see you as an Oscar nominee. Than an Oscar winner. You have an Academy award. Wait what I know?
Speaker 2: I know, hi bananas.
Speaker 1: What happened to your life as a result of that Academy award? Did it shift?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How so?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it shifted in lots of positive ways. And I think some of the greatest things that happened to us also rip us apart too joyfully. But uh, it'll show you where your foundations are not so solid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me about that. That's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I and it's funny. I meditate on it a lot, not just that like moment in time, but just about how these exceptionally joyful things like winning an Oscar can be so euphoric. But it also, at least in regards to my own experience, and invited a lot of opinion. I had to go through the process of kind of understanding that success can make you change if you let it. I worked very hard to try and keep my own, my own compass, very strong and very clear. But that doesn't mean that everyone around you has the best intentions. And when you're a loyalist like I am, sometimes it's very hard to cut chords. But I've also learned in my adulthood that you can cut chords lovingly, but that it was really challenging, and there was a moment where my own compass felt really cloudy, and I was like, why am I doing these things? Why am I saying yes to this job? What was the point of that? Why did I think that and not be and that sort of It's interesting because I think you can question why you said yes to something in the immediate and you can also question it in the aftermath because how our business is built. You can make the thing and then it takes time for it to come out, and not everything is going to be received how you receive it in your heart, and that's okay. I actually am someone who has made a lot of peace with that. But what I'm specifically talking about that sensation is I would make the decision to do something and then suddenly I was like hmm, but I didn't have the courage to say, you know what, actually I'm wrong. Actually, let me let me course correct. I didn't do it instead because I had this notion of and also it's something that I learned from childhood, like you honor your commitments and you see it through. You said you were going to do something you need to do it. But I do think there are these moments in your life where honoring your commitments. You have to honor your commitment to yourself. Yes, you know, yes, and that is that's tricky sometimes.
Speaker 1: So after an Oscar, when do all the scripts come rolling off the truck? Do people come up and say how about this? How about this? How about this?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 1: Which is so funny because I interviewed Halle Berry not too long ago, and she said, when she won her Oscar, she said, she sort of thought that was going to happen. Yeah, and she said, and it didn't and she was surprised. So everybody's got a different experience what was yours.
Speaker 2: I did have opportunity, however, I would say I got offered a lot of what I felt like, we're limiting parts because I was known for, you know, the conversation around my words. Season had a lot to do with my own identity. I was offered a lot of queer parts, a lot of lesbian parts, a lot of which there's nothing wrong with that that it's great. I love us. I was offered, you know, many Spanish speaking roles, even though I spoke very openly about being a noose Kid. Yeah, I was like, I it and I love the language, but my journey with the language I'm learning. Maybe I'm not ready to do that for myself. So but what that showed me was they were paying attention to the conversation, but I hadn't teach them about my artistry. Even though I think Westside Story is one of the best examples of my own artistry and what I'm capable of it, I I don't know that I received opportunities that were always holy. How do you say wholly appropriate for my talent. I'm not someone who only wants to make movie musicals, but I'm not an artist that wants to play characters that have walked paths so closely to my own identity.
Speaker 1: They would you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Otherwise what's the fun of being an actor?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 2: Like, I learned from my craft every day, and if there's if I'm playing parts that are just basically me joining up myself, honestly, I can go teach dance. Something I'm contemplating and Debbie Allen, any openings, I.
Speaker 1: Like your just how you navigate life just from listening. I'm listening to the work part, but the other parts so fascinating. To me, So, how do you start and end your day? I feel like the book ends of a day are pretty important. How you're gonna how the stuff in between goes? So what do you do? Tell me?
Speaker 2: I feel like good question.
Speaker 1: What do I do? Open your eyes?
Speaker 2: I open my eyes. I take five deep breaths. That that is something that's become very important to me to assess the state of my physical body.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And I try to very deliberately put my feet on the ground to ground myself. And that is really the morning ritual. I grab a daily stone. I love that and I walk around the house with it in my morning and just like feel its energy as I'm doing my little chores. That's the morning.
Speaker 1: Are you a coffee person, water person.
Speaker 2: Tea person. I'm a tea person. I do have at least two cups of tea in the morning.
Speaker 1: Black.
Speaker 2: I like black tea. Wow, I'm so strange. Everything's fine, okay. I I try not to immediately grab electronics sometimes it's inevitable. But if I can have, if I can safeguard a little chunk of time that is electronics free, that's great. But my evening, I think is more interesting to me. I go for a walk. And I love sunset and sundown because I feel like as the sun is setting sort of, it tells it's telling me to chill out too. And it's become very important to me to like stay in tune with nature. I mean, given everything that's going on in the world, the best thing I can do for myself is to try and stay in tune with her, right, So that's very sacred to me. And then I do love a tea at night. I love my Moon Brew Vitamin Sleepy gummies and I take those at least two hours before I day and then sleep. I sleep right through the night. Good.
Speaker 1: I know this is not an ad.
Speaker 2: Are I love them gummies? Jesus sorry?
Speaker 1: Are you an early riser?
Speaker 2: Depends? I'm in a cycle right now where I love sleep. Oh good, Okay, Like I love sleep.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: Like post, if I'm coming off of a work trip, nine times out of ten for the next month, I will probably be up around five point forty five.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Carlisle. Oh yeah, where you're going to be performing Joe's Pup. You called up and said, hey, pick me, and they were like, well sure. Carlisle is one of those iconic New York spots that people have played there, from Sinatra all just through all of them. Tell me about you and the Carlisle and what you're going to be doing and what that's about.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really jazzed about it. Yeah, I said it. I'm jazzed. It's the type of venue I've always wanted to play. There's something very romantic about the Carlisle to me, And it's funny I think about this just came to me, but it's a truth. Like Anita had her American dream, like her version of the American dream, and I realized, like part of my American dream was like playing a place like the Carlisle. Like that's what I could like imagine for myself, and I wanted to like it'd be a smaller spot, it'd be like moody and wear my pretty dress. Now, when I was first dringing that dream, I had no idea I'd have an undercut and break that would.
Speaker 1: Be my go to.
Speaker 2: But I couldn't feel more like in my body like I'm a very and even from the awards circuit to now, I feel like I've lived so many lives. So I'm excited to be playing the carlat a moment where I can bring the fullness of that life if I so choose to, which I will, because that's part of what makes me a good artist. But I'm excited to experiment marked the great Mark G. Meadows is going to be my music director. He's so fabulous. We did a moment at the Freely Fest, which is a very cool music festival that celebrates the First Amendment and the freedoms that it protects, especially for artists. But we sang Strange Fruit. He helped me put together a beautiful arrangement of Strange Fruit to talk about the importance of not only the song, but that moment in time and how it's That song is one of the greatest I think examples of how government interference can display into artistry. However, I digress. I absolutely fell in love with him, and so we're putting together a lovely jazz trio and I'm still deciding my set list. So if you have, if you have requests, I am all ears, but I'm sort of excited to kind of take it down and storytell a little bit. But also I'm in a space where I just want to put my feelings in the song.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it. September twenty ninth, By the way, September twenty night, we open.
Speaker 2: We played through October third.
Speaker 1: Oh you do. That's a good night.
Speaker 2: Five nights at the Carlos.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal. That's a big deal. You're also Scarpetta is another thing you got cooking. You and Jamie Lee Curtis have a vibe.
Speaker 2: We do best.
Speaker 1: What is Tell me about that relationship because Scarpetta involves Nicole kidman Jamie Lee Curtis, who's been pushing for this product forever, and you pop up in this and Jamie Lee was tapping you. Tell me about about your relationship with her.
Speaker 2: Well, our relationship sort of started when I handed her her Oscar, which sounds so crazy, insane, because the only reason, yeah, the only reason I was Therapi was because I've won a year prior. Things you don't, things you only dream of saying. But yeah, our relationship stems from that moment. And we met that night, and like you go through the backstage and like it's cool. I got to witness someone else go through what I went through in the immediacy after winning an Oscar, and I just it was so special to watch her walk that path, and I think she walked it really beautifully and bravely, and I just enjoyed her spirit, you know. And as we've gotten to know each other's like, she's lived quite the life. She's exceptionally why as she is joyful. The amount of joy that woman puts out in the world is really something, even when she may be feeling not so great. And I was like, we recognize that in each other at times. Is that you can still be a beacon of light, because sometimes putting more light into the world can help you refill your cup as it's happening. But that's where that originates. Nicole, Jamie and I make up this really cute little family trio of women Italian women. I don't know, but watch the show. It's pretty fun. And Jamie Lee Curtis plays my mother, Nicole Kidman plays my aunt. The show is called Scarpetta. Nicole Kidman plays Scarpetta. Everybody, Let's keep it real. Nicole Is does that another show. But it's so fun to hang out with these women and learn from them, and I look at it as another learning opportunity.
Speaker 1: I feel like you. I feel like a good trait you have is you are a good Picker like you pick good people.
Speaker 2: In your story.
Speaker 1: Picker's not broken. But I think having being able to select good people in your circle is one of the most important things you'll do. It is like, I mean, I feel like I pick good friends and I and I know my life is going to be good because of that. I make sure that the people who are in my orbit. And they say, you know, like you're the sum total of the five people you spend the most time with. So choose your friends wisely. Who is your two am phone call?
Speaker 2: Oh, three people just came to mind, which is great, lucky you. I consider them all best friends. One would be my best friend from high school who was my prom date. His name Jonathan. I have a friend Lauren, who is a budding Broadway producer, and she's brilliant and we've known each other for maybe four years, but we have the same birthday, oh, and a connection and a connection we really get each other. And then my friend Morgan, who I met on Scarpetta. Actually, isn't that.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, I love these kind of friendships. Yeah, because you can make dear friends all through life. It doesn't it doesn't have to be your childhood friend. Or your friends from school or whatever, or even your first job.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I have dear friends from every chapter of my life. I was just watching the new Jennifer Garner TV show, and it feels like she chose friends from different chapters of her life while she's going through this big life moment. And I'll tell you what, there's nothing like a big life moment. When my mom passed. The people that were around me, and there were really five dominant people, those are my people.
Speaker 1: When was your mom the proudest of you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man? She was proud of me my whole life. I think she was proud every day that I survived, you know, in a world that can be so big, up against people who feel different or who are described as different, she was proud of the life I was living. That doesn't mean we didn't have our moments, of course, because that's mothers and daughters. But she was proud of what how I was walking through the world. I think she was shockedish when I you rewind, If you rewind in like freees frame on her face, you can see it. Who I remember hugging her and she was like, you got to get up there?
Speaker 1: Were you able? You said that there were struggles. What was the what was the funnest thing you got to do for your mom in terms of physically giving her something?
Speaker 2: Oh well, and she was someone who like didn't really want gifts, Like she wasn't really like that.
Speaker 1: That's not her language.
Speaker 2: It wasn't her language. Oh my gosh. It was more trips for us like that we out to a space where it's like I couldn't give her a gift that would really like encompass the moment, but I could give her an experience. And she was my date. Was she was my dake to the Oscars. But she had the most fun at HAMILTONI night when Hamilton won a lot of Tony's and we went to the after party and lor she Anda Jabos was living her whole life. She was dancing with Common. Pretty sure she was flirting with Common. Sorry if he was with somebody, but she was having a great time. She was like, that's Mariska Hartitaine then for sorry sake, But at some point we were all dancing and Marisia like said hi to my mom, and she was like this is great.
Speaker 1: I like this.
Speaker 2: Like she had a good time wherever she went, and that was the greatest.
Speaker 1: Well, I see all that. So she did good. So last question before we go, I always asked my guests, what's bringing you joy these days?
Speaker 2: The little things. The little things are bringing me joy these days, honestly, like every day that I get to wake up and open my eyes and take five breaths, that brings me such joy, the walks, noticing the flowers, like it really is. The ordinary things.
Speaker 1: To singing bring you joy.
Speaker 2: Of course it does. Sing and I've catched myself doing it without realizing I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Like you did in here when we're.
Speaker 2: Like to me, singing now is talking like I will. I do this with my friends. Sometimes I don't realize I'm singing a song that I'm singing them a song that describes how I feel about them.
Speaker 1: Oh, sing me a song.
Speaker 2: You are so beautiful to me. I love you.
Speaker 1: I thank you for that, all right, Arianni. Since you and I are on the same kind of zen, We're both in this kind of zen sphere. I have an app called Joy one on one, in a company called Joy one on one, and we have a lot of great practitioners. So Blana Snow is gonna just bring us home. We've just got three minutes, so we're all going to chill out together. Should we try it?
Speaker 2: We should?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's try.
Speaker 3: My name is Wana Snow, and today I'm going to show you an evidence based breathwork practice that is proven to help you regulate your nervous system when you are in a high pressure moment, and it's called a psychological sigh. It's very simple and very powerful. You breathe into the nose two times and you'll exhale it out once through the mouth. Are you ready to try it with me? Breathe into your nose and then again and then sigh out. Let's try that again, breathing into the nose.
Speaker 2: Keep going so you can go slower.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go fast.
Speaker 3: In fact, I find that going slower helps our body catch up to the information our body's nervous system communicates through breath. So when we do a sigh as an exhale as a.
Speaker 1: Relief, it tells.
Speaker 3: Our brain and body that we are okay, that we're safe, and that we can let go. And that's why so often when we feel relief, we have a.
Speaker 1: Sigh of relief.
Speaker 3: So let's try it again together, breathing into the nose and again. I find that breathing out with a sound of relief has an.
Speaker 1: Extra working power.
Speaker 3: There's something about sound that also communicates to our brain and body that we have even more relief than we thought. Try it again, breathing into the nose and again.
Speaker 2: Let's do it one more time.
Speaker 3: This time, as you exhale, not only do you do a sigh of relief, but you'll also release it with your mouth with a sound, and then you will let.
Speaker 1: Your body feel the relief.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 3: I want to try it together, breathing into the nose and again. Ah, it feels so much better. This is a practice that you can do in the moment. This is a practice. You can go to the bathroom, you can go to the corner and do it. Nobody notices or recognizes that it's a practice to relax your nervous system, and.
Speaker 1: Those that do they'll say, oh, good, idea, I should do it too.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful, easy release for tension and stress, and it is proven to soften your body, release your tension, and help get you back into a rest and digest state. I hope this was helpful for you today, and I hope that you'll come back to this often whenever you need it. All right, I'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Malana Snow, I'm so good. Love you girl, Love you. Thanks for doing that with me.
Speaker 2: I mustay I mistake