Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, twenty five, Episode five of Dear Daily's I Guys Stay, a.
Speaker 2: Production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into American share consciousness. And it is Friday February eleventh. Nope, and it is Friday February sixteenth, twenty twenty four. Not a good start, guys, fucking up the date. That's when you know you're in for it. When I'm can't even read numbers most the most.
Speaker 2: Basic thing to read.
Speaker 1: I think I think I learned that before reading numbers, before reading words.
Speaker 2: Anyways, my name.
Speaker 1: Is Jack O'Brien aka den and Na No not inspector, Judget no no no no woo Dona no no no inspector Judget dena no no no go. Sorry Joe, Judget Joe. That is courtesy of Rezik on the Discord, in reference to the fact that I pronounced inspector gadget with two soft GE's and then tried to pretend that I'd done it on purpose on yesterday's show, and just like believed that more words should be pronounced with a soft g. I'm not proud. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. I am thrilled to be joined in the second seat by today's just co host, A brilliant now I'm not gonna keep doing it, A brilliant comedian, writer, actor, the hilarious, the chaotic, the riding a recumbent bike. In short short, it's Blake Wexland.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, this is Blake Wexler aka Happy girth daya my legs. Happy girth Day to my legs. Happy girth Day, dear plumpers, Happy girth daya my legs. Today is my birthday, and I have a very exciting announcement that really calf yeah, oh yeah, yeah. I would never joke about that. I would never I joke about a lot of things. I would never birth that day. Very serious about my birthday, very serious. Equally a serious announcement. My calf muscles have gotten so big and strong they are no longer considered to be calfs but cows. I now have cow muscles. That sucks. It's good, It's really very good, very good.
Speaker 1: I just thought you were commenting on the fact that every day's leg day for you, and you know, happy Birthday to your plumpers is every day. But happy, happy, Birthday to your plumpers and happy birthday to you, Blake Wesler.
Speaker 2: What a treat, Thank you. I know I came up with this bit, but it still is. It's starting to make me feel sick to my stomach hearing these words. Carmen, I'm so sorry, and you don't even know.
Speaker 3: Who say one more time?
Speaker 2: I see, but.
Speaker 1: I would never Is that weird? Is that a good combination? Happy jurisday to Yeah, weird word that has been paired with plumpers and also very weird?
Speaker 2: Which is that's fine? Both like and I used to describe.
Speaker 3: Add to that, I could add another word, I'm not adding. I'm not adding.
Speaker 2: You don't have to. Who are you? Though?
Speaker 3: Who am I?
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a brilliant writer, producer, vice columns, journalists, podcast host, just all all of the jobs, just had them. It's been good at them. She's done them amazingly. Her memoir Why Don't You Tell Me? Was called propulsive and explosive by Publishers Weekly, and she was called a master storyteller by a regional paper, The New York Times.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever heard of them.
Speaker 1: Please welcome to the show, the brilliant, the talented Carmen.
Speaker 2: Rito, what.
Speaker 3: Listen does carme san Diego have a song? I don't remember you did?
Speaker 2: Inspect again?
Speaker 3: San Diego is like, where in the world is.
Speaker 2: The place my brain is at?
Speaker 1: Is that I couldn't even change the second word to san Diego, I said, Carmen Inspector.
Speaker 2: So Jesus Christ, guys, what is going on?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is everybody doing good? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, is it really your birthday, Blake? I still don't know, Blake, Yeah, birthday?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you so much. Yeah, it's uh, it is Friday, February sixteenth, which is today is my birthday. Yeah. So I'm I feel good. I feel young again in a way I've don't want I don't want eighty. The earlier part of my thirties has been it has been a slog. But now you know, I've had some serums and experimental medication and metal surgery, not even plastic sur and yeah, I feel I feel pretty good. Yeah, where are you at?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm in a closet. No, there's construction in my building all of a sudden, So I'm like yeah in the class. No, no, no, listen, I've had I just had surgery like three months ago. So there you go, speaking of surgeries. But they're taking things out, not putting things in. So it's all good.
Speaker 2: It is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fewer things as we get older, Fewer.
Speaker 3: Things as you get older. Yes, things start, you know, disappearing for good reasons.
Speaker 2: A minimalist body is I think what we all want.
Speaker 3: Yes, with youthful blood transferring, you know, the blood of the youth into yourselves, as certain billionaires do.
Speaker 2: I'm glad someone said it.
Speaker 1: Or can we just stop acting like having young people as blood bags is only for billionaires. I mean, it's a it's a fun, earthy alternative to your morning coffee. You know, just get you get. Don't do it all right now, I was just a trial balloon. It was a trial balloon. It didn't go over well. So we're just gonna kind of put that, put that back, and and I'll bring it out in a couple more years. See how people respond to it. Well, Oh my god, Carmen, we're gonna get you well, well, well look who it is. Yes, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better.
Speaker 2: In a moment.
Speaker 1: First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of things we're talking about today. You may have seen headlines that Russia space nuke something like that. The Russia is gonna nucas from space was kind of the vibes I was getting from the headlines Russian nuclear space weapons, and yeah, watching it.
Speaker 2: You should read the rest of the article before you add it into the show run.
Speaker 1: You may have seen Russian nuclear The words aren't even in order in my head space, but that's my impressionistic version of what it was like for me to see those words together is like, well, that's bad, right, Like that combination of words is bad. The truth of the story a little less scary. So we're just gonna talk about that. Turned the temperature down a little bit on the Russian nuclear space laser bombs.
Speaker 2: Think we're going to talk about what it's.
Speaker 1: Like to apply for a job at McDonald's these days. Hint, it involves an ai blue space creature that you have to like answer existential questions about it.
Speaker 2: Very confused, positive story. Yeah, that's going to be uplifting in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: And then we're going talk about Tesla troubles because yeah, we I mean, we are an Elon Musk fan podcast. We we love him and we feel like he can do no wrong. But god damn guy keeps sucking up Tesla is Tesla is having a worse quarter Like fans.
Speaker 2: He's so smart and rich.
Speaker 1: God stop, you were smarter and why don't you have fifty billion dollars bro But he uh, Tesla, I didn't. I didn't realize this. I don't normally pay attention to the markets because I think it's like all bullshit, but it is just interesting, Like the thing that he's famous for is like making a lot of money for Tesla, Like with Tesla stock.
Speaker 2: He Tesla is having.
Speaker 1: A worse quarter, a worse year so far than Boeing. But yeah, no, literally than Boeing. They're Tesla is performing the worst out of any SMP five hundred stock Boeing has. Like, just to put that in perspective, Boeing had a window explode off of the plane they built, a door explode off of a plane they built, and we're like, yeah, that's our bad. That one's on us, guys, and we kind of knew it was a problem, but you know, you sorry, And Tesla's doing worse than that.
Speaker 2: Well, the cyber trucks can't fly is the problem. That's why we promised that cyber trucks could fly, and they can't. So that's going to hurt your stock.
Speaker 1: That is the tenor of the conversation of the cyber truck heading in is like, you literally can't be shot in this thing. Nothing can happen to it. And then the people who ordered their cyber trucks, the same people who are anxiously awaiting the latest email from Donald Trump, I have to assume.
Speaker 2: Go like we got the.
Speaker 1: Owner's manual, and the owner's manual was like you, if a Burt shits on this car, sell it or take it, or get like alcohol, like industrial strength alcohol wipes and clean that shit off immediately, because it's it's bad for your cyber truck if like just a if it gets like dirt on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's made of a luminium foil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing. It's made of stainless steel. And they were like, oh, the stainless thing. By the way, it turns out, that doesn't mean it can't be stayed. And in fact, it's like just just drinking in everything that you put on it, like a sponge. So we'll talk about all that plenty more. But before we get to any of that, Carmen, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Oh God, you're gonna start with that one, all right, so we can get out of the serious stuff. So on my search history, you're catching me right after lunch and once a week. It's my little routine because I need a little treat. Once a week with my lunch, I watch all the new movie previews. So my search was Godzillan Calm?
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 3: For god Zillan Cam?
Speaker 2: You can laugh at me.
Speaker 3: It's listen, Godzilla was is my girl? All right, let's be real. I can be a very very serious person and intellect. However, when it comes to giant reptiles who may be female trying to protect their territory and they can shoot blue lasers out of their mouths, I am on board so hard.
Speaker 1: So the thing my pause was not just being staggered at your low brow taste. I wasn't like God. It was not me picking up the monocle that had fallen from my eye.
Speaker 4: When you said, Dodd say Godzillan Cam.
Speaker 1: I thought they made this one already they did.
Speaker 3: But it's the trailer. It's the new trailers.
Speaker 2: It's a trailer for the new sequel. So they got.
Speaker 3: Godzilla and Kong are teaming up.
Speaker 1: So the first one was gogs Godzilla Godzilla verse con.
Speaker 3: This is Godzilla x Kong, which means multi sequel.
Speaker 2: Is there's an x. It's a collabse it's a collabo.
Speaker 3: Yes man, yes man.
Speaker 2: So I was not up on this.
Speaker 3: And Kong has a metal glove.
Speaker 1: Why this.
Speaker 2: Is so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna end up seeing this in like four D. Right, I'm gonna go to the theater where the seats move and it sprays water on you, and I'm just gonna laugh my ass off. It'snna be wonderful.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the first the v Godzilla v.
Speaker 5: Kong?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: And did you see Godzilla Minus one, which was a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: I mean, these mass equations too much for masterpiece. I didn't know there's gonna be math here. Oh yeah, sorry I cut you off.
Speaker 2: You had a no, no, no, no, it's okay, No I didn't. It's so hard for me to watch these when I'm you know, reading about Alexander Fleming and you know, like dis like the guy discovered penicillin. It's just that's the type of stuff that I like. But I have heard that, see I see. I have you seen the Apple Plus show Monarch Legacy of Monsters a couple of episodes. Yeah, I liked it, I like really liked it. And of course the two Kurt Russell's were it's it's Kurt Russell and his son Quiet Russell. I believe both play the same person in different ages obviously super similar. Yeah, yeah it works. They have the U the Russell jawline, and yeah, I thought it was cool. I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but I was I was into it.
Speaker 3: I ended up I watched a couple of episodes, but it was it was okay, it was okay cool. But yeah, when it comes to the movies, I'm old school. This was my old you know when I was like when I was.
Speaker 1: A kid, Yeah, you fell with big monster movies like big, Yeah, what is your top?
Speaker 2: What's your number? One? Like that?
Speaker 1: So my original introduction to movies, and it remains. You know, my favorite movie was Jaws, which is a big monster movie, but like I didn't take it in that direction. I then instead just like got excited about Steven Spielberg movies and like didn't like I because I saw I think the thing that I followed up with was like a like seventies King Kong and it just like as a kid, like wasn't really doing it for me.
Speaker 3: And so my first girl crushed by the way, just.
Speaker 1: Klang, Yeah she's pretty my lord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, LORDI I was like, I'm confused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what's your number one big monster movie?
Speaker 3: Listen? My first which, by the way, I watch all kinds of like I'm a movie freak, so I'll watch anything and quite obsessive, but Alien was everything. Yeah for me, that movie I will watch over and over and over and over again, like the whole concept of all of it. Alien, Predator, big monster movie, Like I just I love them.
Speaker 2: They're cool, they're blast.
Speaker 3: Terminator is a monster, I think.
Speaker 2: So he is. The man is is.
Speaker 1: You know you've seen that video of him traveling to uh Brazil for a carnival, but he's no, it's wild. It's like he was the host of a travel show in the seventies and he is out of control.
Speaker 2: He talks about you like sasses and things like that.
Speaker 1: Things of this nature picks up a dancer one time, and it's like you're worried that somebody is going to be ripped to shreds. Yeah so alien, Yeah, aliens. Twister twisters thoughts you excited?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's too many. I could barely handle one, and yeah there's multiple. Now there's multiple twisters. Do you did you ever go to the Universal the Universal studios in in La where sorry studio studio where they would have the King Kong, the massive King Kong, but they would give him banana breath, like they would have a scent of bananas, and I just looked it up. It turns out this is I'm not this isn't the beginning of my brain decaying.
Speaker 3: Would vomit.
Speaker 2: It was disgusting.
Speaker 3: You would be like I would instantly throw up.
Speaker 2: The potassium.
Speaker 1: The cinematic universe of King Kong's contains massive bananas to go with the massive King Kong.
Speaker 2: Otherwise he would.
Speaker 1: Just have to be eating bushels right, true, which is not sustainable, not sustainable, not sustainable.
Speaker 3: King Kong does not need food.
Speaker 2: No, I mean a monster.
Speaker 3: His food is excitement. I don't know, I have no fear. I don't about my monsters. Like eating and pooping, like I just really destroys the image in my head.
Speaker 1: His food like a you know, late night talk show hosts food is our adulation and applause. King Kong's food is our fear and terror.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's bring it back down to I think you said something. You said that you know the markets are bullshit, right Jack?
Speaker 2: You just said that.
Speaker 3: All right, So let's let's bring ourselves back there for a second. Because I was thinking a lot about this because some sports star just started some nonprofit about financial literacy. I covered financial literacy for twenty plus years. I gave financial advice. I was an editor at Money Fortune, I had a TV show all this stuff, and I can tell you I retired from it, I want to say, seventy years ago, and I'm so glad I did. Because one of the things is the realization that you cannot financially literate yourself out of a real fed up economy doesn't pay you, right, you can't the system. When I found out in covering the business for so long, covering the banks, covering how everything has made the government, the laws, the rules, you are up against. Of course, you need to know the basics, especially women and marginalized people. You have to know the basics and how to protect yourself and how to be on timeable. But the idea that so many of these things are set in motion or beyond your control, like credit scores or like you know, overdrafts, or like the market where by the way, most of the market is only fifteen percent of American people have access to the stock market. Right, So how can you now? When I started back in financial literacy, it was it was a different ballgame. And now it's like you can't sit there and teach people out of the fact that, for example, my first apartment. Let's see, my first job, I was making thirty five thousand dollars a year, New York City, Manhattan. Yeah, I could afford a studio apartment walking distance from my job.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was seven hundred and fifty dollars. Now, and thank you, by the way for having the geriatric on your show. Now, age is good. I'm alive. I'm alive. Age is good. But goil may give you a perspective. Now I've got young people telling me that they're starting at thirty five thousand dollars a year and a studio apartment in Midtown is going for three thousand plus. Stop. How can you possibly be literal enough to get yourself out of the fact that they were just not paying people what we should be paid.
Speaker 1: Just learn more from Yeah, well, one thing I recently footstraps, no boots.
Speaker 3: Let me say it, ain't no bootstraps, they're gonna get your out of there. Say no boot you can put on your feet and get you out of this. Yes, you can all sit there and grind. But the fact of the matter is that if the system is set up so badly against us that I just hope it's so overrated. When you see financial literacy, when you see experts. Now, back when I started, there were very few experts because you actually had to be an expert. Yeah, okay, Now it's about selling things, it's about selling information, it's about selling you a program, it's about all of this. Would just be very very careful. Yeah, and then we've got to get some We've got to make some changes period.
Speaker 1: The I mean, there's definitely like a real time almost food chain like proliferation of scams that are like aiming at you and like that's definitely good to familiarize yourself with. But yeah, when I learned that financial literacy was like a pet project of big banks, yeah, I was like, oh wait a second, Yeah, like there because because it helps their narrative that like, no, the problem, the reason there's inequality has it's not systemic. It's not this system that is like just funneling massive amounts of money our way. It's actually, uh, you guys are too dumb, and we're willing to help you with that if you just like pay us for these financial literacy programs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the whole Like you're also bad because you use straws, but we are just gonna suck all the oil out of you know what I mean. It's all personal responsibility bs because they want to distract you from the fact that it's all happening upstairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really indicative and fucked up of how bad the system is. That like beyond to your point basic understanding. It's you're supposed to be like you know what, Actually you probably should be ignorant to what's going on because it's going to make you way more upset. You actually know how fucked up the system is and how it's upsetting.
Speaker 1: That is not what the begs consider financial literacy is like knowing what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Fuck you over there there.
Speaker 1: Financial literacy is like all these financial products that we can offer you to which is why.
Speaker 3: We need Elizabeth Warren to stay where she is and do more because because of her that that things have changed and are continuing to change, and we got to change it. So you don't change the rules. They're just going to do whatever they can, right, whatever they can.
Speaker 1: Like it seems like it's similar. I don't know if it's exactly the same mechanism, but the reason that taxes are so complicated in the US, like doing your own taxes is not like I feel like if you talk to people in other countries about financial literacy, they'll be like, what the fuck are you talking about? Like I just like, I know how much money I have and I try not to like spend more than that and like that. But it's so complicated because it's profitable for corporations to make it complicated.
Speaker 3: It's the government knows how much you owen taxes, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah they can.
Speaker 3: You don't need a company to pay a company. So anyway, that's another one of the fights that's happening on Washington now to kind of outlaw the whole tax prep stuff and have people why are we paying? Why is everybody paying for this stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does seem like people are kind of catching on to that one. Yes, Carmen, what is something you think is underrated? Oh?
Speaker 3: This is more fun?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: I love?
Speaker 3: Love, love love.
Speaker 2: Let's go back capital punishment.
Speaker 3: And they hold meet up. Don't get me mad? Now?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, this is thatcher Moss fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, so on shows I love because of course I'm a writer too, But I love mash up words. I don't like I'm not talking about those TikTok kind of stuff like Risen, So I'm talking about mash upboards. Because right now, the word that I can get out of my head, which I love so much is corpsicle. Is anyone watching.
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Is the idea? And I've I come across a couple more of these words, and I just love they make me so happy. Yeah, Corpsicle like the power to be able to create a word that instantly makes your brain go corpse.
Speaker 1: Know exactly what that is, and you.
Speaker 3: Know exactly what it is, and it's a nonsense word can't. By the way, I love the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you love true That's a great underrated That's that's one of honestly my favorite underrated. It's that's such a good one because it's something that you appreciate subconsciously. But then hearing you say that, I want to I want to keep an eye out for more more corpsicle type words.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. And then every time I hear corpsicle, I'm like, oh, I just love it.
Speaker 1: By the way, So so that you know where I'm at, I tried to write corpsicle. I wasn't quite sure how to pronounce how to spell it, and my autocorrect change it to crop circle.
Speaker 3: So you know, what's another fantastical thing?
Speaker 2: You love science?
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: I love science. Is that what you said? Yes? I love science. Science signs the M Night Shamalin movie signs.
Speaker 1: That and the class that's I think that's in another M Night Shyamalan movie where Mark Wahlberg is a science teacher and he's like where just written on the board is like, where did the bees go? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wasn't that?
Speaker 3: That wasn't science? Which one was that one?
Speaker 2: That that is happening?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god, what about the bees though, bro, don't spoil it. Don't spoil it, don't tell us where the huge plot point.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a good one.
Speaker 1: True Detective Season four or yeah, season four has one of the most That corpsycle is the corpsicle that into all corpsicles.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's a bunch of Yeah, it's a real question.
Speaker 3: And if you like this season, look at me. I'm not doing promo for her, but I do adore her. The director of Isa Lopez right chic from Mexico. She has her horror movie Tigers Are Not Afraid was beautiful and fresh. You know, when you see a movie, it's not like you're not like, wow, that was so great and epicab but but when you see it and you go, okay, that's new. Yeah, Like how hard is it to see to watch something today and be like, Okay, that's that's new. I haven't seen that. That's her and it is brilliant. So I'm not surprised that she produced a corpsicle. Yeah, if you watch that movie, you're like, this lady's brain is different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Meliki Oh that only has a ninety seven percent on Rotten tomatoes. That's all.
Speaker 3: It's not afraid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so happy for her. My movies to watch list me too.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, so good, so good, by the way Etha Lovio Loaveo. Okay, moving on.
Speaker 1: She's a big fan, as are all great, brilliant you know, directors who think different. They are huge fans of the day. He's ichists, All right, let's take a quick break and come back and we'll run through some news stories.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: Okay, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And I do like to every once in a while check in with my good friend at the Dread Report.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while. There's just you do.
Speaker 1: The Drudgs Report is like gets more traffic than the New York Times, and it is only one page. It has like as many page views as the New York Times. And it's just a bunch of links that this strange man puts up on his weird conservative website. And yesterday it was all about Russia space nukes and how you know, just in like big font red lettering. That's usually when he's like, this is the one that everybody should be paying attention to. So I have to assume that this anxiety, the anxiety over Russian space nuclear weapons has entered the American bloodstream.
Speaker 2: So I just wanted to kind.
Speaker 1: Of take a quick look at how this came about. It started with a person in the US House Intelligence Committee who Mike Turner, some name that is just like two very common names sandwich together, very plain. But he's he's someone who, like when I mentioned him to people who I don't think are even that politically active, they're like, oh, yeah, I'm Mike Turner. So I just might not be totally up on this person. But he got briefed on something and was immediately like, oh my god, like you need to like let us know what is happening here, you need to let it like declassify this whole thing, and like dropped hints that it was involved Russia and nuclear weapons and space, and that's a scary combination. I can see how that is a scary combination. Jackpot. So the reality of the situation is that I will just read directly from the article that like people were able to put together using actual sourcing, US intelligence shows that Russia is discussing the possibility of basing a nuclear weapon in space. So they're discussing the possibility. But we did not discover that Russia has a nuclear missile in orbit pointing at our head? Are we are reporting on a conversation that we think might be happening in Russia? And why would they have a nuclear weapon in space? Because it could be used to threaten our satellite communication. So another detail that made me less stressed out about this, like thinking about basing a weapon in space that could fuck with my Wi Fi and cellular signal.
Speaker 2: Like, now I'm freaked out. Now I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I think that's absolutely horrifying. Yeah, that is a nightmare scenario. That is truly nightmare. Truly.
Speaker 1: It also feels like not the way you would attack someone's communication is to just blow all of the satellites out of the sky with a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: Like that's where you're wrong. That's where you're wrong. It's not going to blow it. They're actually going to just have it ram into the satellites and break them. So no explosives, It's going to orbit around, bumping in satellites. I believe it's what Mike, Mike Turner or whoever this for you in the room, What the hell?
Speaker 3: You know A lot of a lot of circles, you know, a lot of details.
Speaker 2: It's a bumper car, nuclear power, bumps, bumper nuke.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean it's a conversation, but with the idea of knocking out communication is terrifying. Yeah, because everything runs on everything runs.
Speaker 2: On it now, Yeah, for sure, I guess yeah, trains, automobiles. Yeah. I just saw all the water come out of Jack's body when he had to say automobiles. Yeah, like you're all skin and teeth.
Speaker 3: We had to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry I put you in that position. I thought this was already happening. I just figured they were already in space, that we had them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there's going to be lots of satellite based warfare happening in the near future. It just it feels less scary than the idea of that. The headline was communicating to me that a nuclear weapon was going to be shot from space at us and we wouldn't have any warning and everything go boom. People are pointing out like so, everyone was like, so why did he just like leak the scariest possible version of this story that we've known about for many years that has been like an ongoing, you know, piece of information that the intelligence committees were aware of, and people think it's possible. Reasons have to do with trying to make people more scared of Russia to get the Ukraine Israel funding bill through the House where it is currently stalled out. There's also a bill coming up that affects the government's ability to spy on us, and so if they can get people scared enough, they feel like, maybe, you know, they need a good scare around. Every time that thing is getting ratified or re ratified.
Speaker 3: Feels very smoke bomby. Yes, yeah, yeah, you know, it's just very much like just throwing out smoke bomb. H don't look over here, look over there. All the fires over there, Wait, the fires over there. Yeah, my ex husband's used.
Speaker 1: To do that, right with literal smoke you've mainly been married to.
Speaker 4: I would be like, I would be.
Speaker 3: Like, there's a smoke bomb. You're like look over there, and I'm like, I'm still right here. I'm not moving my gaze, man, my daze stays right here where it should be. But is that that's the tactic and it's just really stupidly tried and true type of typical tact.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Even Representative Andy Ogels, which that can't be a real name, but we'll go with it. On Thursday, Ques Turner of having ulterior motives, citing the battle over both funding for Ukraine and a bill to reauthorize the nation's warrant less by powers, each of which has raised some opposition. By the way, Andy Ogles is a Republican from Tennessee. So he's like in this guy's party and he's like, guys, this is for real.
Speaker 2: This is dumb. And they said, yes, for real, this is dumb. And that's really You.
Speaker 3: Gotta assume that there's always some truth in these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the intelligence.
Speaker 3: It's still smoke, like there's still something happening.
Speaker 2: It definitely.
Speaker 1: It created a new action movie in my mind, Oh boy, where we're like blowing each other's satellites out of the sky and it's like satellite Wars and.
Speaker 2: It is Tyreese and ludicrous in a car that.
Speaker 3: Has been.
Speaker 1: Yes, like something similar happens in one of the Fast and Furious movies, but they instead of blowing a satellite up with uh nuke, they drive into space in a car.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yes it is still a car. It's important to note it's not a plane. It's not a satellite, it is a car, so it still fits in vital. Yeah, it is vital. There's a there's a show on by the way. I love that, Like you have me as a co host and all my expertise is from someone who just got an Apple Plus subscription. But show on Apple Plus season two where it's called for All Mankind and the premise is if the Soviets won the space race. Yeah, and we've had already on the show before. Yeah. I really really like it and it's kind of a vehicle to There are some like corny parts where like Ted Kennedy becomes president because chap equittic doesn't happen because of like a scheduling issue. Yeah, but uh, it is a similar premise. I think like later in the show there might be uh nuke nukean space situation or whatever. But it is a good show. It sounds like a total bullshit boring premise, like, okay, but it's good.
Speaker 3: Did you see what you leave the world behind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, but we talked about.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I actually had to look up the name because I just know iticed the the Amahasharat Ali, that beautiful man and the Obama movie, and I was that's exactly the promise. The satellites are out and it throws the world into complete chaos and planes fall out of the sky and it's it's horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what plan is that? What would happen if the satellites went out? They would just be like, well, there goes that. Guys.
Speaker 1: We were really dependent on the satellite up here in the flight deck, so we're just gonna take her down rapidly.
Speaker 3: We don't know how to fly this thing.
Speaker 1: We're just here for.
Speaker 3: Y'all. Feel better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. The satellites are magnets that keep the plane up in the air.
Speaker 1: That movie seems like it was very full of shit to me, but maybe, well, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's still scary. Still scary, all right.
Speaker 1: So, being of the difference between like real fears and bullshit fears, we got this new glimpse of the future with AI where America is using AI to continue to innovate new and exciting ways to make life miserable for the most vulnerable people in our country, and that in the in this instance, that means soul crushing hurdles for people to jump through in order to simply apply to work for McDonald's. So companies like FedEx, McDonald's and Darden, who is the company the restaurant group that you know has all of Garden, et cetera, are all clients of Paradox dot Ai, a tech startup that helps them out with the hiring process. And it's got so it asks applicants to go through a lengthy and completely baffling personality test starring a blue humanoid alien named Ash, and, as one applicant complained on Reddit, quote man, I just want a dishwasher job.
Speaker 2: Why this shit?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: As outlined in an article I'm for for media, the test consists of images featuring Ash in a variety of situations and you have to click on one of two boxes, either me or not me. And some of the images like make sense within the context of a job application, like there's one in which Ash is being yelled at by customer. Also, a blue humanoid alien kind of looks like if Pixar made an Avatar movie set entirely inside an olive garden and it was like the year nineteen ninety one, because the you know, humanoid aliens, aren't.
Speaker 2: I agree like that a second what you just said, I would I would watch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there you go, Jos. But so you have to answer it's like, what does this say not much bothers me me or not me? I think we know the answer to that one, right, Like that's yes. If you've if you've had to just like ace a personality test for a job interview before, Yeah, no, that's me. Nothing bothers me. I like, actually, people screaming in my face.
Speaker 2: That's my food. That's actually how I you know, how.
Speaker 1: Can kong off our screams?
Speaker 3: And yeah, so you have no bananas?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, no need for gigantic bananas because you just feed me your customer. There is derision and that is what gets me through the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Third option, yes, endless, but you have bottomless karens.
Speaker 1: Yes. Other images are like kind of existential and just like kind of random feeling, like one where Ash has fallen off a bicycle that is like a sci fi bicycle, like one of the wheels doesn't have spokes on it, it seems like and hurt his knee, accompanied by the caption things happen to me me not me. I mean, I don't know how you could possibly take an answer to that question and hold it either against someone or like for them like I can.
Speaker 2: It's very clear. So if you you don't want to hire someone who just shit happens to them all the time, like it's a liability. People can fall off bikes, Like when something happens to you, Jack, it's your fault. Does that make sense? So things don't happen to me.
Speaker 1: I go through the world dominating everything I see, and that is what's going to make me a good dishwasher at Olive Garden.
Speaker 3: And you're not gonna you fell off your bike.
Speaker 2: That's correct, that's correct.
Speaker 3: Bikes.
Speaker 2: Things happen to me. Things happen.
Speaker 1: It's like such a philosophical question.
Speaker 3: It's really personality tests them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we will get to that. It is complete guard Yeah, but it's just like I'm just trying to put myself in the position of like the poor fucking people. And also like you're going to a website that says like dot ai, so you're like, oh, this is like some next level like computer mind shit where it's like judging me and telling me like I'm worthy or not worthy, and like somehow there's a blue humanoid alien involved. It's just it's like this extra little mind fuck to make the thing seem impressive.
Speaker 2: I guess dot I mean smart. Yeah, Like that's that's what it's Oh, so I'm actually done. It makes you feel even more inadequate, probably because there's also in you know, it's being like financial literacy also internet literacy and these questions where the these poor applicants are going to get just so in their head, and not only is it going to be a nightmare experience to get the end goal of getting a job, they also are gonna not feel as good about themselves and it's going to cause more stress in an already stressful situation. This is a bomber.
Speaker 3: That's what they're trying to do. Yeah, there's always watching you.
Speaker 1: That's what they're trying to make you feel like you just made big brother sound cool though you called him, yeah brother a brother. The the images are probably AI generated and that's basically all is that is AI about this because the test seems to be just a good old fashioned personality test, relying on the Ocean model, which was created back in the eighties, and the big five categories they say matter like why it's called ocean is openness, conscientiousness, extra version, agreeableness, and neuroticism.
Speaker 2: You don't want to score big on the neuroticism scale.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that detailer job.
Speaker 2: Oh you do?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah, I've just that. No wonder, I have need, no wonder. I was the worst waiter of all time. I was actually a pretty good dishwasher though, and a pretty good butler, but could not Yeah, fucking at being a waiter.
Speaker 2: You've been too hard on yourself. I'm sure you were fine. You.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, if you could be a good butler, you had have to have been a good server.
Speaker 1: Better than I was a better butler than a waiter, but not a very good not very good at that either. There was one time where a woman was like, all right, we have a wedding, like I need you to iron this for me, and I brought it back and she was like, could you bring me the iron and just and then let me watch her do it. She was like, you should watch. They say you're being better at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you suck at this. You were a butler, because I just accepted that as a normal answer, that you were a butler.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 1: At a British hotel it was a butler, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like a bel at a British hotel. Yeah, the butler, I do have butler face.
Speaker 1: My mouth is always like a little a quosity.
Speaker 3: It's a different RBF and he's got it correct.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So the actual AI offered by the company is actually a chat bot named other than the cool ash pictures that accompany the test, a chat bot named Olivia who takes applicants through the application process, helps hiring managers filter through applicants and schedule interviews and is and you're going to be shocked to hear this if you've ever used like a non human assistant is fucking terrible at their job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't understand that. I'm sorry. I didn't understand that. I'm sorry. I didn't understand that. It's just the same message you get over and over and over again. God forbid, you have a person a job? Yeah, to do it.
Speaker 1: I'll start believing in this technology when I'm on a phone tree and like my brain doesn't immediately be like operator operator, let me speak to a human please, could I speak?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just never things are happening to me. These things are happening to me right now. This is what I'm talking about Yes, I listen, it's all this.
Speaker 3: Two things psych it's it's biah in this. This is not smart. This is not smart stuff. Come on people, come on. Look, there's a sales guy from the tech company who goes to Mickeyd's headquarters and goes, guys, I got this new technology and you really need to and I really help you with your bottom blah blah blah, And it's all a bunch of BS numbers and they're like, well, that's cool, sign us up.
Speaker 1: This is this is all it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amusing but sad to that point.
Speaker 1: Paradox is valued at one point five billion dollars, and yet most of these hiring chatbots are not even as advanced or elaborate as chad GPT. They are rudimentary and can only ask basic questions, so brutal. Yeah, it's just a blue humanoid alien gloss on the same shit that's been happening. And everybody has recognized if you throw AI on it, it's gonna it's going to sell your salespeople are going to have a much easier time selling it because everybody's just like, wow, if you want me to.
Speaker 3: Not like you right away, do one of the same Oh, what's your what's your personality test or what's your what's your your ocean or what's your blah blah blah. That's actually happened, actually had people do that. Yeah, I'd rather you ask me my goddamn sign. Yeah, like just don't Yeah bad, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, it's it's all bullshit. And there is like interesting stuff being done in AI, Like I think right now they're trying to like, you know, they figured out the folding of like how proteins are folded. That is still the thing that I'm going to like AI. It has solved a scientific medical issue that is going to help into cure disease. So great, it was all worth it. But it's just once it gets into the level of if a salesperson is trying to sell it, then you're probably fucked in some way. It's not like trying to solve a existing problem like I don't know, death, Yeah, it's not gonna be good. There's also a new one that I just read about where they're trying an AI is trying to figure out how to translate smell like a so a computer can like evaluate a smell of bananas, so they can create more realistic banana breath for kinj kanj for kim. Yeah, but like that smell is actually like if you've ever seen dogs who can like smell cancer and like like various diseases have sense, and so it would be like an amazing breakthrough. It would be like basically what Farahnose was promising with like just a time I need a bit of blanks. If you don't need any blood, it just like comes up and kind of you get sniffed by a robot. So it seems a little unnerving, but I like it. Where Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's a good point.
Speaker 3: That's an excellent I take it back as long as it's not ANTHROPOMORPHI.
Speaker 1: Rob Yeah, yeah, come here, come here, let me let me get a whiff of you.
Speaker 2: Give just if this is a thing is an object, why'd you make it a person? Get over here, let me get a good whiff of you. Why is its voice so low?
Speaker 1: The smelly gets smoked cigarettes. Yeah all right, Uh, let's take a quick break and.
Speaker 2: We'll come back and talk about Tesla will be right back.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, and we're back, and so cyber trucks are already you know, they finally shipped about a month and a half ago, started selling to a lot of Lumfaan boys, started selling above sticker being traded on stock x like they were a pair of sneakers. But now people are pointing out, like now they've had a little time to spend with them, that this machine that was supposed to be able to handle torrents of gunfire cannot stand up to a little bit of rain. Unfortunately, they've been complaining on forums about small orange flex appearing on the car after driving it in the rain for Oh but this is I mean, how how is a car supposed to be able to stand out for they were driving on the rain for two days. I mean, come on, guys, cars can't hold Oh wait no, I was thinking that's a that's a tissue box. Can't stand to be outside for two days?
Speaker 2: You make that mistake? Yeah all the time? God crying on our friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to get the need to put the poster backup that has car tissue box.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so this is as a result of.
Speaker 1: Its unusual stainless steel exoskeleton, which it also has a trouble with stains. The owner's manual mentions the possibility of corrosion with a surprisingly quote fussy maintenance guide for a car that looks like it belongs to RoboCop, requiring drivers to immediately remove corrosive substances like grease, oil, bird droppings, tree resin, dead insects, tar spots, road salt, industrial fallout, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So never leave the garage.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is like this feels like have you ever like gotten a really expensive pair of shoes or like like a really nice shirt and then you're just like terrified to wear it like that. It's that if you were like driving that shirt, driving around with that shirt on the outside of your car, like you really well done.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be well made. It to lass you forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whole point, right. There's this substance on the exterior of cars that's called the orange peel. That is like this thick layer of wax and plastic that is the thing that makes your car glossy, and it's the thing that keeps your you know, the metal on your car separated from the elements. And it's one of those things that I'm sure Elon Musk didn't fuck with because he wanted the car to look like it was from the future, but it existed all these years for a reason. It turns out like that. You can't just have the metal that's inside the car just on the outside of the car. It's going to look like a rust it out piece of ship pretty soon, you know, I mean, is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Maybe you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, some some may say, some may say.
Speaker 1: It says you have to like remove the like remove a dead bug immediately from your car.
Speaker 2: Is like so stressful. I can't imagine having pull over.
Speaker 3: Bank has sat listen. Nobody looks cool.
Speaker 2: In that thing. I think they look no, no, no no. If I get a couple of I think if I drove it shirtless, I could probably pull it off.
Speaker 3: If you listen. If you're going to get a car like that, you had better be full on looking like freaking matrix. Okay, please.
Speaker 1: Going to.
Speaker 3: Have a car that falls apart in the rain, but yeah, something about bullets. Just dress for the occasion. Please entertain us, please with the full picture.
Speaker 2: That is funny that it can repel bullets but not water.
Speaker 1: It is a very Yeah, it is like the aliens and signs poop. There you go.
Speaker 3: Everything has a weakness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be a good that that should have been the aliens and signs weakness not water.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna say they should have all been cyber trucks.
Speaker 1: They should have all been driving around in cyber trucks.
Speaker 2: That would have been Yeah, that would have been crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now that the cyber truck owners are having to take maintenance tips from people who owned another doomed stainless steel vanity car, the DeLorean, and it's like, no, Actually, if you like do wind decks like the second after you drive it for five minutes, you can actually keep it looking pretty good. But you have to like keep windex with you and stop every two miles.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no passenger seats in it because it's the loneliest people in the world. No need.
Speaker 3: It's all right, but also too, you know, you want to see some badass bulletproof cars, all you got to do is go to South America. Man, they are everywhere I've seen them. They look fire, and trust me, they're gorgeous. The leather is fabulous, and the drivers like buff and everyone looks fly. So that's all you need.
Speaker 2: Like that, Yeah, I'm in con me in.
Speaker 1: Worth, noting Tesla had the worst performance of any S and P five hundred stock this year, So you know, I don't know. It just feels like he's like the stuff that has been evident to a lot of out who are paying attention for a long time. Like even the fanboys in the financial industry are starting to be like, wait, but like, what if he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about? What if it's all Yeah, So anyways, we'll keep.
Speaker 2: Our eye on it.
Speaker 3: Have nothing good to say.
Speaker 1: This is market watch and uhket watch.
Speaker 2: Yeh, finally the podcast has made this pivot, the pivot that.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. We're gonna have someone reading a ticker throughout the entire Oh.
Speaker 3: I would have so much fun, you don't even know. I would give you the backstory of every CEO. It's some one of my favorite pastimes.
Speaker 2: CEO jur that's too interesting, too interesting? Yeah, just numbers.
Speaker 1: You give us the craziest or most interesting story about an anonymous US CEO that.
Speaker 3: You well, there's no anon because everybody knows if I say anything, but it's all playing out. Look look at go look at who was on the cover of Forbes Forbes even has its own thing about how many people were on the cover of Forbes that are that were criminals. Wow, right, criminals bitcoin three us right. Uh, we work like we've seen all this stuff. And one of the biggest signs is when somebody comes in like mister you know who and says they founded a company that they that's right off the bat.
Speaker 2: You know this this trashy interesting, right.
Speaker 3: Trash because anybody with a personality, let's go back to personalities, anybody in the personality that says something like that is a dangerous person meaning dangerous like they'll take your money and they won't give a shit.
Speaker 1: So be careful, people, keep your head on a swivel out there people, while you're out there in this market, in this market world of ours. Carmen Rita Wong. What a pleasure having you on the daily Zeitgeist?
Speaker 2: As always?
Speaker 1: Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Always happy to be with you, guys, Blake, so nice to be with you. Yeah, you can get me at Instagram, off social aw that Carmen Rita Wongo dot com.
Speaker 2: And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: That I've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about something about more media.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is this is my wheelhouse. I am a dune freak since the book, I will absorb anything Dune related.
Speaker 1: Wow, So should people where should people are?
Speaker 2: Book?
Speaker 1: It was my brother, my big brother and I.
Speaker 3: It's a real tattoo. My big brother and I were. We were the biggest duneheads when we were kids. So yeah, that's for him, not for Denny Villanuev the director, or the bad movie from the eighties. But it's just great stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you like part one?
Speaker 3: I did like it a lot. Yeah, I like anything the director does, be ann but this one. The buzz on the number two is that is insane, like way above number one.
Speaker 1: Number one was like cool, but it felt like I think I think. I also didn't know how much of it, like how to what degree it was like the first half of a movie. You know, Yeah, yeah it was, it was.
Speaker 3: But the second one is supposed to be bonkers. So I've got seats on the first night. I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: And if you want to laugh a lot and have some fun, do it while you're inebriated. Watch the first movie done with sting in a tiny little metal bikini pants.
Speaker 1: It's oh yeah, David Lynch, great bad, yeah, good good good bed Blake.
Speaker 2: Wexler, Happy birthday to Blake, Happy birthday, birthday to you. You both.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you? Follow you, wish you happy birthday, all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: People can wish me happy birthday for the rest of the year until my next day, completely honest at Blake Wexler, this is my food. Nourish me with your birth, with my own birth. I don't know what that and milk me so. Also some stand up dates. March fifteenth, I'll be at a Strong Rope Brewery in Brooklyn, New York. Goannas. April will be in Cincinnati, Bristol, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh. In May and June, I'll be in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 1: Austin, Texas, the capital of stand.
Speaker 2: Up, the capital of conservative.
Speaker 3: No, not Austin. Austin's Blue, Austin's Blue.
Speaker 2: Austin food is great. I love it.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do like coming to Austin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there workimedia you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yes, Apple plus No so the Whole Cattle seven ninety nine a month sponsored by Dave Ross, who's a very funny stand up comedian. His Instagram handle is Dave to the Ross. He's been doing this thing where he takes stock like sports team logos that you would see like a high school use or like a beer league or something, and then instead of the team name, he edits it to like these very like these very funny lines. So there'll be one with like a like a guy about to hike a football and it just says, do you know a good therapist? But in a team, you know, in the team fun. And there's another one where it's like a guy like a skull wearing a football helmet, you know, kind of like a Raiders logo but a little bit Halloween, and it just said I died playing football, and an angry ball saying I'm always afraid. Like it's it's very very I'm describing an image based work of media, which I probably shouldn't have done. But if you go to Dave to the Ross, it's very very very funny, silly. That's great, smart too, Yeah, yeah, it's great. I love it.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter a Jack Underscore O'Brien tweet. I've been enjoying. I just saw Dopey the Dumbfuck on Twitter at Pete Underscore irons eight seven to two O six.
Speaker 2: Usually I'll just do the at.
Speaker 1: But his was so long convoluted, I just had to use what he wrote his name as Dopey the dumbfuck tweeted getting a question wrong at trivia and faking a hamstring pool and.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, damn it just rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 1: And then Austin Heimer tweeted, what if instead of the sixties, the New Fantastic Four took place in the seventies and instead of Pedro Pascal, it started Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe and instead of being superheroes, they were both private detectives.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Was fun.
Speaker 2: That movie was fun.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at the Daily Zeichgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website daily zeikeis dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We like off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Super producer Justin Connor, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So this track has a vintage smoky jazz club vibe to it. It's from a Brazilian Norwegian singer songwriter, Charlotte Do Santos. There's some gorgeous falsetto and vocal work going on here. It's really chilling viby. So check out this song. It's called Watching You by Charlotte Do Santos and you can find that song in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 2: All right, we will look off to that.
Speaker 1: The Daily Zeich is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, the iHeartRadio Wrap Apple podcast wherever you listen to your favorite shows, that is going to do it for us this morning. We are back on Tuesday to tell you what was trending over the long weekend, and then with an episode after that later that day.
Speaker 2: I believe, so we will talk to you all then bye,