Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon and Dad. It is Super Bowl week. It's an exciting time. I'm already dusting off my Buffalo chicken dip recipe for a party I'm going to this Sunday.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait. Hopefully snow gets clear.
Speaker 1: It's still freezing over here on the East Coast for people to get around safely. It's unbelievable how much snow and how cold it still is.
Speaker 3: Right Jeff, I had someone at a birthday party tell me the other day that he thinks the snow will be here until the start of the Olympics, which is February the sixth.
Speaker 4: Jeff I told him it's going to.
Speaker 3: Be here to the start of the baseball season, which is March twenty seventh. I mean, there is no end in sight here. The high school, the public school kids in our neighborhood where you went to school, we're out of school for six straight days. They might go back today Tuesday, but on Monday they made six straight school days out and the roads are clear, but there's so much ice and snow built up that entire lanes have not been completely shoveled off.
Speaker 4: And I guess it makes it dangerous.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're going to see grass in the state of Maryland until March. I really believe that. That's how cold it still is.
Speaker 1: And it's so bad, Dad, that my wife Emily just instructed me to shovel our grass so that the dog has a place to go pee.
Speaker 2: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 1: She was like, can you shovel a strip of grass out so he can go pea somewhere? Because he's been peeing on concrete and asphalt for the last week and a half and it's getting to the point where it rolls down the asphalt onto his paws, and the kind of clean his paws. He's pooping in the middle of the road, Dad, I mean, dog owners out there are going nuts.
Speaker 4: Me as well, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I have a dog also, Rex. He's pooping all over the place, but not at least not in the house. But you know, these are desperate times. They call for desperate measures. If you have to poop on the top of some snow, that's sorry. Just the way it works.
Speaker 1: It's just the way I mean. He doesn't even want to go in the snow. And my male dog, Ranger pee is like a girl dog, so he doesn't lift a leg, so he could pee on a little snow mountain, but he doesn't know how to. I think he was raised by female dogs and so he has to pee like a girl dog. And then he doesn't like his you know what, touching the snow. It's a whole thing, right, it's driving me nuts. So I'm gonna go after this podcast shovel snow off of a grass yard, right, but I'm trying to tear up all the grass.
Speaker 3: Sure I've ever heard that sentence before, go shovel the grass?
Speaker 2: Right, shovel? Can you shovel your front yard for me?
Speaker 1: So that's what's going on in our Kirkston household, Dad. And it was funny because just the other day we were on a phone call with the incredible gentleman of the Saber chapter in Las Vegas, that of which we could not at all talk about the snow because they have no relation because the storm that's hit the east coast. How great was that time with them.
Speaker 3: Right, and remember the name of the chapter, Jeff the Maddox brothers, Right.
Speaker 4: It was so good. We talked about Mike Maddox.
Speaker 3: We talked about Greg Mannox, baseball in Las Vegas and baseball all over the place. Jeff, you were the youngest guy there for sure. By how many years would you say?
Speaker 1: I don't know. There was a gentleman, if I caught his name properly, I think it was Brody sitting in the front right. He didn't ask any questions, but he seemed he seemed right around my age. But yes, a majority of the gentlemen were a little closer to your generation.
Speaker 2: I'm might say. Let's let's just say there was a lot of four oh.
Speaker 1: One k money probably in this in this meeting, but they were all really great guys, right.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of talk about Ted Williams and Babe Ruth agreed.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a couple of jokes that that you landed really great with the crowd that I mean went way over my already really low to the ground head, I mean five foot six, but they were they were flying right over me. I had some references to players, and.
Speaker 4: Well, they got it. That's all that mattered.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 4: There was SABER.
Speaker 3: SABER is a society of American Baseball Research, and you know, I pop your grandfather.
Speaker 4: My dad was a proud member, you know. Big.
Speaker 3: My dad was a PhD in mathematics, loved baseball, so he combined the two. So he got me involved. I've been a member for years and years. Those people are out of their minds, Jeff, and that is a compliment because they love the game that much. So when you you really need to know the deep inside story about the history of the game, you should read things that are on Saber because it's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, before we get into baseball, the Grammys were this past Sunday night, and as a morning show host for a country music station in Philadelphia ninety two five XCU, I watch the Grammys, right, I have to. It's part of my job because we're going to talk about it now. Country music isn't necessarily the biggest thing at the Grammys, right. There's plenty of other country music specific award shows that obviously are a little bit more up my alley. But nonetheless, I came up with a game to play with you called Grammy Artist or Farce. Okay, So, Dad, the way it works is I'm gonna name something.
Speaker 2: You have to tell me whether it's a Grammy nominated or Grammy winning.
Speaker 1: Artist, or if it's if it's if it's farce, if it's a fake that I'm trying to trick you with.
Speaker 3: Guys, I saw one of the the other day and it was is this a prescription medicine or is it a Pokemon character? That was an interesting juxtaposition, those two right next to each other. By the way, Carson, your godson just turned five. He loves Pokemon. So we were over there for a party the other day and the hour half an hour before the party was watching Pokemon. You love that too, when you've grown up, right, If.
Speaker 1: You or mom find my Pokemon cards, do not give them.
Speaker 2: To my nephew, Do not open them.
Speaker 1: Do not do anything with them, Dad, because if there are cards in there that, by the way, are worth a lot of money, because that generation of me growing up collecting cards, those cards now are selling for I'm not kidding, thousands and thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Do not give them to Carson to play with. Give them to me.
Speaker 1: I will shop them and I will set that kit up for life. I'll buy his first house with those Pokemon cards. But seemingly we can't seem to find my binder of Pokemon cards.
Speaker 3: Well you don't know this yet, Jeff, but I found them and I've already turned him in. I got one point two million dollars for those cards.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would be so upset.
Speaker 3: Right, there's a giant box in your closet here at home, Jeff. It says baseball cards on it. It could be Pokemon.
Speaker 1: Cards, it could be. But right next to it is my karate belts. And I'll tell you those are worth nothing.
Speaker 3: They weren't worth anything at the time, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff, No, they weren't.
Speaker 3: Jeff famously broke a board there without hitting it. The instructor broke the board when Jeffrey was about eight.
Speaker 4: Great job.
Speaker 3: The guy broke the board for you so you would join up for the next year, so we could spend some more money on you, being one of the worst martial artists I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yet we still went out for ice scream to celebrate my board breaking.
Speaker 2: And you never told me to teenage.
Speaker 3: Right next to basket robins. What a great idea, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What a great idea. Okay, well let's get back to my grammy game. Are ready?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm gonna give you. I don't know anything about music.
Speaker 2: You know that you're gonna do fine where you're gonna do fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So these are Grammy nominated artists. Okay, you tell me if they if it's right or wrong. Okay, well we'll start easy, all right, let's go with Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 4: All right, Definitely a singer is.
Speaker 2: A Grammy nominated artist?
Speaker 1: Ding?
Speaker 2: That is correct? Okay, Next one, Patagonia.
Speaker 4: Definitely not a singer. That is stepped.
Speaker 3: What was the alternative singer or what it was?
Speaker 1: Just artists or farce to rhyme. Yeah, it's a farce. Yeah, that's correct. Okay, funko pop.
Speaker 4: That's a farce.
Speaker 3: You can't have a name of funk o pop.
Speaker 1: Pop is a collectible toy. It's a far sure, right, you're thank you, right, Okay, what about let's see I have it down here?
Speaker 2: Okay. What what about the Thundercat.
Speaker 4: Uh, that's a farce.
Speaker 2: Grammy nominated artist Thundercat.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: What about King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard fars Nope, also a Grammy nominated artist. Yes, we're going back in time here to find the best ones. All right, next one for you five guys, uh Grammys, No, that's the restaurant chain you're thinking of, Dad, fars okay ours?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then what about Minecraft?
Speaker 4: That is a farce.
Speaker 2: That is a farce. It is a video game. Dad, you did better than I expected.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm surprised you didn't bring up Pitbull. I would have gotten that one right.
Speaker 2: What about Doci?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Doci is a Grammy nominated artist, Grammy winner.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right, Dad, way to go. I know you're a big fan of her album.
Speaker 3: That one, Oh God, so bad, Jeff. That time I met Pitbull at the All Star Game was one of the worst things ever.
Speaker 4: Ad Nan Burk. I'm going to tell the story again.
Speaker 3: Ad Nan Urke brings Pitbull over to me and says, it says to pit Bull, before you bring your biggest fan ever is right over here.
Speaker 4: You got to go meet him.
Speaker 3: And overcomes Pitbull and I have no idea who he is, and he gives me this complicated handshake which I couldn't even figure out. And uh, the next day because it went out there because ad Nan sent it out. Me meeting Pitbull. Thank god he didn't ask me, what's your favorite song? The next day I told you this jet Mike Trout, who at the time, was the best player in baseball? Saw me on the field and said, and with such reverence, it was unbelievable. He said, I can't believe you met Pitbull.
Speaker 4: Tell me what it was like.
Speaker 3: Tell me what was like to stand right next to him, thinking, this is Mike Trout. He's the Beatles come back to life. Here, he's Elvis come back to life. And he's asking about my encounter with Pitbull.
Speaker 4: Was he that big at the time?
Speaker 1: Oh, Dad, Yes, I mean he's massive, and you were talking to mister three oh five.
Speaker 2: Okay, and three oh five. I mean that would be a good batting.
Speaker 1: Average for a season, right, mister three oh five, don't you think right?
Speaker 3: I nicknamed myself mister three oh one after that day because I figured it was very symmetrical. Never mind Pitbull, ad Nan, that was so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you could call Mike Trout mister three twenty six when he won Rookie of the Year batting three twenty five.
Speaker 2: That's really what you gotta be calling.
Speaker 3: Mike Drout was great, but he was truly truly impressed that I had met Pitbull.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, Dad, takeaways?
Speaker 2: What do you have for us?
Speaker 3: Well as we get closer to spring training, we had a couple of one year signings. Haanio Suarez, who hit forty nine home runs last year with the Diamondbacks and Mariners combined, has signed with the Reds. Of course, he used to play for the Reds. Reds were a playoff team last year. He definitely needed some punch somewhere in that order, and he's going to provide it. He's going to strike out a lot, low batting average, but a great teammate, a bet he's gotten much better defensively. And Jeff forty nine homers, three hundred and twenty five homers in his career.
Speaker 4: He's thirty four years old.
Speaker 3: He's gonna hit forty more this year, especially playing in that ballpark. And the other is Willis Arise, a lifetime Jeff three seventeen hitter, got a one year deal from the Giant. So here's a guy with a three seventeen average and another with forty nine homers. Luise Rise won three batting titles and just got a one year deal from the Giant.
Speaker 4: So just shows you it's tough some days.
Speaker 3: It's tough being a free agent if you're not the biggest name out there or at the perfect age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, Luisa, rise to me is such a question mark.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy gets on base.
Speaker 1: He batted three point fifty four in twenty twenty three. How is he only knocking out these one year deals? Like why is nobody locking him down?
Speaker 3: Well again, in today's day and age, Jeff, he just doesn't have the same value. He doesn't hit home runs, he's not a plus defender, he doesn't run particularly well. His on base percentage is good, but it's not great for a three seventeen, and he doesn't walk very often. But I can tell you when he went to the padres, every one of those guys.
Speaker 4: Just war By, you know what.
Speaker 3: He brought just an attack mode to the plate, like I'm going to get hits today, We're going to put the ball in play. They followed him and it really worked.
Speaker 4: But in this day and.
Speaker 3: Age, it doesn't work nearly as much as it did, say, thirty years ago. Now, obviously the job is to hit.
Speaker 4: The ball out of the ballpark. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, those are some big, big signings, Dad, and I know there's still a couple free agents to fall, But do you have a countdown of when do pitchers and catchers report because everybody.
Speaker 2: I mean February, Dad.
Speaker 1: We have we have baseball this month. Shout out Bill Chuck sending out his email for Billy Ball, he said, February, we have baseball this month. I mean it's February third on the release state, Dad, are we you know?
Speaker 2: February tenth, eleventh, twelfth? Is that one catch a week?
Speaker 4: Roughly a week away.
Speaker 3: We're going to get rid of the super Bowl first, then everything changes after that. It's just hard to consider the spring training, JEF. When it's it was four degrees outside this morning when I walked the dog.
Speaker 4: Boy, that was bad.
Speaker 3: And yesterday I was outside in the wind for about two hours. I'm not sure I've been that cold anytime recently.
Speaker 4: It was really bad. But we're all good now.
Speaker 1: On this date in baseball history, Dad, February the third, what do you have?
Speaker 3: Well, one of my favorite baseball names of all time is Bake McBride. Bake McBride was a really good hitter for the Phillies and the.
Speaker 4: Cardinals and some others. He could really fly.
Speaker 3: He was born on this date in nineteen forty nine. And you have something to tee up.
Speaker 1: For us, right, Dad, Aaron Boone, the manager of the New York Yankees. Obviously you two worked together at ESPN for years, and in that time you were very very close to each other. Now, obviously given his position and your job as a journalist, not saying you guys aren't friends, You're still friendly, absolutely, But years ago he sent you a me moji which we used when we interviewed him back in twenty twenty. Was that twenty twenty four of him doing an impression of a of Dan.
Speaker 3: Baker, who does Dan Baker, the PA at the Phillies games and has for fifty years. Dan Baker has some very recognizable boys. Boonie can do anybody, So play Aaron Boone doing Dan Baker for the Phillies. Did Baseman, Mike Schmidt, catcher ball Boone.
Speaker 4: Right fielder Baker mecbride.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: This clip has made us laugh so many times.
Speaker 4: It's it's perfect.
Speaker 3: As we know, Boonie can do like any accent, any dialect. He can imitate people so well, and he does voices and everything else as well as anyone. So I just love the bake McBride MacBride right.
Speaker 2: And it's his birthday.
Speaker 4: Dad.
Speaker 1: The first thing you told me was we got to play the clip from Boonie and then you had to It took us a while to get it sent over to me, but we figured it out eventually. And I gotta say, his little memoji looks really good. I'll put it up on the stream on the YouTube. So if you don't follow us on YouTube, great game or what, you can actually see Aaron Boone's memoji.
Speaker 3: It's great, right, okay. Also on this date, in nineteen fifty two, Freddy Linn was born. Freddy Lynn was the rookie of the Year and the MVP in nineteen seventy five for the Red Sox. Just came out of USC and just took the world by storm, helped get the Red Sox to the World Series that year. One of my favorite players that I ever covered now when I got to cover him every day. He was with the Orioles, and he still had those great hands and he could still run the ball down in the outfield. But he clearly was not the same player in the mid eighties as he was in the mid seventies.
Speaker 4: Let's put it that way. But I'll never.
Speaker 3: Forget this, Jeff, I you shouldn't share this, But he yelled at me once in the press in the clubhouse, he yelled at me over asking him about, you know, being injured, and when when do you think we're going to be back?
Speaker 4: And I guess I asked.
Speaker 3: Him one too many times and he screamed at me and said I'm tired of you asking me when I'm going to get back. And it's not like I apologize, but I looked at him and then he said, sorry, you.
Speaker 4: Didn't deserve that. You didn't deserve that.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't happen very often that a writer gets yelled at by a player, and sometimes deservedly. So I'm not saying I didn't deserve that, but he apologized to me for yelling at me in the clubhouse in at Memorial Stadium, you know, forty years ago almost.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that was Freddy Lynn for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do I have this right?
Speaker 1: That he's only one of two players to win the MVP and the Rookie of the Year in the same season him and each year.
Speaker 4: Right, I believe that's true. Yes.
Speaker 1: I just did a quick fact check because I thought that was the case, and I did a quick fact check and it came up clean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Echiro Suzuki and fred Land are the only two players both did it in the American League, mind you, to win the MVP and the Rookie of the Year in the same seaies so Freddy Lynn.
Speaker 3: The reason I because Freddy got hurt quite a bit and he was a little sensitive to that. But I went to him once and I said, Freddie, you know you at eighty percent is better than so and so we won't use the name here at one hundred percent. And he looked at me and he's as humble as to get and he goes, yes, I know, but you don't understand, and please, He's very humble.
Speaker 4: He said, you don't understand what it's like to be like me.
Speaker 3: That if I can't get to that ball on the inside part of the plate because my wrist is killing me, then it it's hard for me to play when I can't do the things that I'm used to doing really well because I have a slight hamstring pull. If I can't get to that ball in left center field that I would normally get to with my eyes closed, he said, I just I have a hard time playing when I can't be as good as I can be. Do you do you understand I understood that. Do you understand that?
Speaker 1: I understand it, but I've never been good enough at anything to feel that way.
Speaker 2: But listen, I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good editing a podcast or editing audio. So if you told me there was something hindering me from being as fast as I possibly can, Like, remember when I needed to buy a brand new laptop in order to do my job properly when going to Nashville for an award show Dad, that laptop was hindering me from doing my work quickly and efficiently. And uh, yeah, so I guess I guess as nerdy as that sounds. Yes, I can relate to MVP and Rookie of the Year Fred Lynn.
Speaker 4: Right, well, very interesting. Okay.
Speaker 3: Also on this date, Jeff in nineteen sixty two. I always got a kick out of this. Joe Klink was born k L I N K.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: When I was growing up, Hogan's Heroes was one of my favorite sitcoms, not my all time favorite sitcom.
Speaker 4: But one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: And of course, Colonel Klink was the guy that ran the Stalogs Dollarg thirteen. That was where, you know, where Hogan's Heroes all operated out of. And I still know most of the names of all the people in the show, like Richard Dawson, who went on to host you Know, Family Feud. He played a guy named Newkirk, and I'd be interested to see how many people know what his name is. First name is in the show because his name is Peter Newkirk. I don't think too many people knew that because he goes by Newkirk only in the show Carter. Another guy, Larry Hovis played him. His name in the show was Andrew Carter.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: These are little things that dopey me remembers from sixty years ago. Does me absolutely no good?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we could change our names. Dad, I'll be new Kirk. You can be old Kirkin.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Pretty good, Jeff? Pretty good?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 4: Pop up is old these days.
Speaker 3: Last week I have been moving furniture, huge boxes of stuff and we won't get into that, and shoveling snow for the last week. I am absolutely exhausted, but none of that matters.
Speaker 4: We got it done. No worries.
Speaker 3: I'd last think, Jeff in this is sad. On this date in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Rich Dower died.
Speaker 3: I covered rich Dower with the Orioles. Rich Dower was a great defensive second basement, had a tremendous understanding of the game, and he got very sick and died.
Speaker 4: Way ahead of time.
Speaker 3: But I always loved talking baseball with rich Dower. I really enjoyed watching him play. And he was also a great basketball player, Jeff. Back in the days when teams would have like a basketball team for the for the winter, you know, Jim Palmer would score thirty eight boys Cal Rippins dunk it on people. Rich Daut and Mike Flanniano. I told you a million times about rich Dauer was one of the best players on those teams. He could really really shoot it. So rest in peace. A year ago rich.
Speaker 1: Dower, all right, Dad, from Burley to Behemoth. We did one through fifty five, and see in last season. Now we're doing fifty six through ninety nine. We're on to number sixty of the best players to wear each number.
Speaker 2: Who do you got?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And Jeff, I'm going to warrant everyone that once we get to the red season, we may have to suspend this and go with some more understandable people, because I'm not sure I'm up for the greatest. You know, number sixty seven of all time, So but at sixty we still have a good picture, a very good pitcher. Dallas Kikel won one hundred and three games when the cy young for the Astros in twenty fifteen and one of the best fielding pictures that I've ever seen. So for me, the greatest number sixty of all time, Dallas Kikeel and Jeff Dallas Kikel leads to.
Speaker 4: Our team, Tim, Do you know what that is?
Speaker 1: I have a very good feeling it has something to do with his first name.
Speaker 2: Are we doing American cities?
Speaker 3: Yes, American cities and everyone I'm using here, Jeff is a top one hundred at least from Google on American cities in population. So I didn't just pick tiny cities. These are among every name on here is a top one hundred name in baseball, I mean in population in the United States. So our catcher, let's see if you see how well you do with our catcher, Jeffy had a pretty good year last year.
Speaker 4: It's sixty home runs.
Speaker 3: Cal Raley, there you go, okay, very good. Tyler Austin at first base, Ray Durham at second base, Scottie Madison at third base, Houston, Amenez at shortstop, Darryl Boston in the outfield, Claudell.
Speaker 4: Washington's since Washington, d C. Still obviously is the city.
Speaker 3: And David Henderson Henderson, Nevada, right, you lived here there. I was surprised to hear there that many people. Henderson, Nevada is one of the one hundred biggest cities population in the United States.
Speaker 4: Should I not be surprised by that? You should not.
Speaker 1: Be surprised because Las Vegas is like one giant city and Henderson is like its own city. Think about how big Las Vegas the valley is.
Speaker 2: It's pretty large.
Speaker 1: I'm a little surprised it made top one hundred. I bet it's in the eighties or nineties, but it's in there.
Speaker 4: Right, really good. So Dallas Kikeel is one of our pictures.
Speaker 3: And it was painful to leave Dallas Braden off of this list. But Dallas Braden isn't the greatest number sixty of all time.
Speaker 4: We needed a jumping off point.
Speaker 3: Orlando Hernandez, of course, John Garland, Reggie Cleveland, Brad Lincoln, one of the newest pirate pitchers, Bubba Chandler, and Lee Richmond, who I did not know this was one of his distinctions is he's apparently pitched in the eighteen hundreds. Of course, the first left handed pitcher in major league history.
Speaker 4: I hope I have that right.
Speaker 3: I read it on Saber, so he was like the first guy who really was a very good pitcher and being left handed. You also pitched the first perfect game in major league history, Lee Richmond.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, well, hey, you learned something new every day on a disagree.
Speaker 3: Game, and I learned it from Saber, who we again. We talked to the guys at the you know, Las Vegas, Saber. Those guys were great. We had the best time with them talking baseball on a cold Saturday afternoon, and marriage.
Speaker 2: That was so beautiful for them. I'm sure of it.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's wrap up with three cards. In the bathroom. This is where you go down to your basement bathroom, which is currently quite a treacherous journey to get to there. I'm sure, because there's a lot of stuff between you and the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Thank you for bringing up such an unpleasant subject. Why didn't you give me a good and c and.
Speaker 1: Then that bathroom is decorated all in baseball. I'm shocked that hasn't been changed to a decorated in cross stitch by now, but none of the you grab some cards at random?
Speaker 2: Who are we looking at?
Speaker 1: To right?
Speaker 3: And Jeff, we're going to change this up once the regular season begins. We're gonna have uh, We're gonna have a new We're gonna have a new feature. It's gonna be called Wheel of Kirkchin, not Wheel of Fortune. But we're gonna spin a wheel. And however, whoever ends up on that wheel, that's who I'm gonna tell a story about.
Speaker 4: Does that makes sense?
Speaker 1: The Wheel of Kirkchin. I'm a big fan of that, all right? Can I Can I make a wheel?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: I'm counting on you to make it, because you can make You could build anything.
Speaker 4: The only thing I could build is a pined with Derby car. So you know that.
Speaker 1: Wait, you said the only thing you can build is a pine with Derby car.
Speaker 2: That it defied physics.
Speaker 1: It didn't even make it to it slowed down on a downhill.
Speaker 3: Right, there were one hundred You know how you remember, Jeff, where you were when you get really bad news?
Speaker 4: Get this.
Speaker 3: I was at the a's spring training facility in the parking lot in Phoenix. This is how many years ago? This is twenty five years ago something like that. Yeah, said, we just got the results from the Pinewood Derby. I said, how did he do? Because I built the Pinewood Derby car. She said he finished one hundred and forty second, I said how many kids were in it? She said one hundred and forty two. You finished last out of the entire Dad.
Speaker 4: So bad, pack.
Speaker 2: That is why.
Speaker 1: That is why Uncle Matt, your amazing brother, the late Uncle Matt, then took over after that year.
Speaker 2: So because he had all.
Speaker 4: The toes and everything.
Speaker 1: Next year, you like finished really well, right, we did really well when Uncle Matt took over. Dad, You know your strengths, Okay, like when you gave that great lesson to my cub Scout troop on bird migration.
Speaker 2: Right, know your strengths. That's your speed, right boy?
Speaker 3: That after that speech, you came up to me and said, Dad, God, I had no idea you had.
Speaker 4: Knew that much of a migration.
Speaker 3: And I said, Jeffrey, as of this morning, I didn't know any of this stuff.
Speaker 4: But I looked it all up and I presented it properly. All right.
Speaker 3: Three cards in the bathroom Number one, oh an all time favorite, Tim Stoddard. So, Tim Stoddard played for the North Carolina State national championship basketball team, and he pitched for the Orioles, and I covered him when he pitched for the Orioles. So he was like six seven to sixty. And I was just telling you, Jeff that, you know, the basketball teams that.
Speaker 4: Were there were really good, Like I told you.
Speaker 3: Jim Palmer, Rich Dower, Mike Flanagan, Cal Rippen, those guys were really good. But when Tim Stoddard, who played at NC State, showed up, it was like a man among boys, because not only was he bigger than everyone else, but he was a polished college basketball player on a championship collegiate team, the NC State Wolfpack.
Speaker 4: Tim Stoddard love It.
Speaker 3: Number two, a personal favorite. I can't believe I have this card. This is Jack Lozorko. Now, if anyone remembers Jack Lozorko, tip of the cap. But Jack Lozorko was very good friends with a buddy of mine, Doug Tornese, now the late Doug Tornes. And in spring training of eighty two, I'm covering the Rangers and I meet Jack Lozorko and Doug calls me to say, Hey, my boy, Jake is going to be there. You gotta go say hi to him. So I got to know Jack Lozorko pretty well. And he's one of the great He didn't end up having a very long major league career, but he's one of the greatest fielding pitchers I've ever seen, even better than Dallas Kichel, who was great. And you know why, Jeff, he was a hockey goalie in high school and and you know, balls would come shooting up the middle against him and he would, you know, kick it, he would knock it down with his glove. He would catch it because he was a hockey goalie. And then he became a major league baseball pitcher.
Speaker 4: Does that Does that add up to you? Well?
Speaker 1: I would think, I mean, obviously, I think he'd be a better catcher at that point, being able to block the plate and move like that.
Speaker 2: Then to become a pitcher.
Speaker 1: Dad, I looked up Jack Lozorko on Baseball Reference. I don't know if this is obscure, but you know, he was drafted five times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a great high school player, and this happens, Jeff. Guys get drafted and they don't get drafted high enough, or they want to go to college, so they go to college. I did not know he had been drafted five different times, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nineteen seventy five in the regular phase of the draft, seventy six twice in the regular phase, secondary phase, seventy seven in the secondary phase, and then seventy.
Speaker 2: Eight in the amateur draft.
Speaker 1: So I mean he went eighth round, first, first, second, eleventh. Oh, I mean kind of crazy when you really think about it.
Speaker 2: Drafted five times.
Speaker 1: He finally said, all right, I'm coming, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: So good and speaking a good third one Will Clark borderline Hall of Famer Will Clark. Will Clark's first major league get bat he hit a home run off Nolan Ryan.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 3: And he's one of the greatest hitters in the history of college baseball, at absolute star at Mississippi State. And Jeff, that swing that he had, it looked like somebody opening up a cape because he had such a high swing and a high finish, it looked like someone opening a cape. So when he would hit us a home run off of somebody with more colorful leg whige, he would say, I caped that guy. You know, because that's what he used for. I got that guy hit a home run off that guy. I took that guy deep. He would say, I caped that guy. He was he played with, of course, for the Giants and the Orioles and the Rangers and a bunch of teams Cardinals.
Speaker 4: He was a really good hitter.
Speaker 3: And I did a game at Candlestick Park where they're playing the Cubs, Giants and Cubs in the playoffs, and the Cubs brought Mitch Williams into pitch and Kevin Mitchell walks to the on deck circle because Will Clark is coming to the plate and he says to him, you know what you have to do, meaning you got to get a hit here, And will Clark just looks at Kevin Mitchell and says it's done, and he had a line drive up the middle, and the Giants end up winning that game. Nobody had more confidence as a hitter than Will Clark. And I'm going to try to tell this story, even though it's a powerful correctly. Okay, My buddy Mike Toomey, one of the great scouts ever, one of the great baseball men ever, told me one that he went to the movie theater with Will Clark.
Speaker 4: In like rural Virginia ones.
Speaker 3: And they walked in.
Speaker 4: They walked in the movie theater.
Speaker 3: And as soon as Mike and Will Clark walked in, Will Clark walked in second.
Speaker 4: He got a standing ovation.
Speaker 3: And Mike Tooby says, look, Will, everybody knows who you are. You walk into a movie theater and you got a standing ovation. And one of the guys in the movie theater said, I don't know who your buddy is, but he's the tenth guy who's in the movie theater. And we're not allowed to start the movie until ten people's So he got a standing ovation, not because he was Will Clark, but because he was the tenth guy. And now we can start the movie. I don't know who your buddy is, but we can start the movie now.
Speaker 4: I hope that story is true.
Speaker 3: I think it's apocryphal, but either way, it's gonna be true.
Speaker 4: It's a great urban legend no matter what.
Speaker 2: That's Will Clark, the tenth Man, the tenth man. There we go, good right, all right, dad?
Speaker 1: Well, and next week we're going to be past the super Bowl, which is incredible, and we're going to be looking at pictures and catchers reporting.
Speaker 2: Within days of next week's episodes.
Speaker 1: So if you haven't done so already, do us the favor by subscribing wherever you're listening right now. It's completely free, right so, whether you listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, if you watch on YouTube, thank you for looking at our beautiful faces. You can subscribe there as well for free and get exclusive social media content. Follow us at great game or what dad? Are you gonna go take the dog for a walk.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes I am.
Speaker 3: It's still freezing cold outside, but I gotta do my job and I just hope the snow goes away by opening day. I'm telling you, Jeff, it's not going to be done by gone by March the first.
Speaker 4: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Well listen before we know it.
Speaker 1: I only live forty five minutes from the Philadelphia Phillies Citizens Bank Park. After I shovel my grass, maybe they'll ask me to shovel their grass. Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.