Speaker 1: Hey, man, is it anything that you you missed about playing football? Because you know you left a year two too early. But you know, we ain't go you know, we ain't go fault you on that, you know, even though we tried to get you to stay. DeAngelo and myself personally, But you know, is it anything that you miss that.
Speaker 2: I missed the locker room. I missed the locker room. I miss being around you know, like we talked about, you're around your teammates way more than your family, and you know, you become close to everybody. We kind of all go through at that age and stage in life. Everybody goes through, you know, kind of monumental moments in your life, whether it be getting married, having kids, starting a family, like all these things we go through together. And then, you know, kind of when you're retired, everybody goes there's separate ways and you don't get to talk to each other or see each other as often as as you do. So I miss I miss going to the weight room and seeing Deebo every morning, and you know, being in the locker room, playing whatever, just hanging out, just being around.
Speaker 3: That's what I missed the most. Yep, that's the same thing. I think that's the answer for most of the guys because you don't get that, you get sixty seventy grown men that are willing Koek will be there on time, at the same place, working to the same goal, trying to be the best they can be. And there's nowhere else in the world that you can go find that. So that's that's the normal answer that we get. So when you say that, I'm like this, Yes, it's the locker room.
Speaker 2: It's a special place because it's and all those guys have been through probably the same thing to get through where they are shared experiences, same goals. We're all the same people. Yeah, essentially at the end of the day are the core of who we are is the same for the most part, that's what builds the bonds. But yeah, when I walked in the last day to meet the coaches and retire, you know, to let them know the news. First person I see when I go through the door of Debo Indi Angelo. He said, what are you doing here? So what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: They knew they knew Debo, you knew.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about? He returned, like, for what what what are you talking about? Where are you going what he was it what I came back to this, what is you talking about you leaving?
Speaker 3: Was it like a body Was it a body situation? He if you think were you just kind of ready ready to go?
Speaker 2: It was a little bit of everything. I knew it was time. Uh maybe it was a pride thing because I knew I couldn't play the way I wanted to or expected to be out of myself, you know. And I knew I could still be productive, and I knew I still had a role on the team, but I felt like if I couldn't, I was putting in. As you get older, you know, you put in more and more work all the field to be your best on the field. I felt like that that trade off wasn't matching up anymore. You know. I was putting in more and more work, and I wasn't, uh still as good as I would had hoped to be or feel as good as I hope to feel on Sundays. So I knew I knew it was time. I don't have you know, first year out was probably tough, but uh some you know, some second thoughts, especially when the first game I think the Steelers played on Monday night football versus the Redskins, I believe. So I'm excited. I'm like, I'm going to watch the game. I turn it on In like five or ten minutes into the game, I'm like, I can't watch this. I can't watching. I didn't watch any more games the rest of that year.
Speaker 3: I'm like, way too soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, I was supposed to be in the huddle like this is. I'm looking at all my guys in the huddle and I'm like, it looks like I know what plays they're running everything. I got to take a step back. So but it's all good now to watch the games.
Speaker 1: You could you could, you could wash.
Speaker 3: The games down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can watch the games now. You've been watching. I've been when I can. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know kids, that big giant ass tight End they got bro mind Washington. They're boy like seven foot five hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: I saw him a few years ago and we all got a big before a game we went out, had u I took I took a picture with all the tight Ends, and then I see the picture after the fact and he's like two feet taller. I should have moved a little bit further away from this dude. He's a giant.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, he's humongous. Yeah, but they got it. He's a he's a really good player. I mean, going back to doing both, like you were talking about Debo, he's he's a problem in the running game and he makes he's he's athletic enough and he has good enough hands to make plays in the passing game too.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited to see, you know, how his career on folds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, definitely some something to watch for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh so, coming out of coming out of UVA, I got to ask you because I was a I was a first round pick also, but what would you say of how did you manage your expectations coming in as a first round or what was your thought process?
Speaker 2: M hm, Well, I knew I was coming to a really good team. They were fifteen won the year before so fifty to one lost in the FC Championship. So I was coming to a good team. I was just trying to get in and fit in wherever I could and just keep a low profile, learn the plays and just kind of earn my way. And you know, that's one thing I think too, that back in the day it was you had to earn your way and where you were d Yeah, I mean and Marvel Smith, who was the left tackle at the time, and Max. Max talked to me a little more. Max Starks, he's a Florida guy. He was on the right side. So I remember when I first got there, I'm lining up if I get reps with the ones, I'm lining up beside Marvel and I'm like trying to echo the calls in the run game because I know what I'm doing, but I want, you know, I'm needing a little confirmation. Yeah, Marvel was in a stance, He's looking straight ahead. He don't even acknowledge me next to him, and I'm like, I better get my play but because Marvel is not going to help me out. But it was like the it was the standard. It's like, if you're going to be with us, you better know what to do, you know, and you better get your job done. So I knew. I stopped asking Marvel for the calls after that and got my playbook a little more.
Speaker 3: So. For sure, I love it because I think some especially just coming in hard hat you gotta when you're coming in like the same thing. You want to prove yourself to the guys, and the best way to do that is know what you're doing. You know what I'm saying, Like they already know, they know the playbook the quicker. You learn that playbook, that's the quicker. You're gonna get the respect from the guys when people start motioning you not just looking around? What's the called? What's the play? No, you're in here with us, know what's going on, and then that's going to I think that that gets you right first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like even with coaches, you know, guys think you gotta be you got to make this amazing play here, this amazing play there. They just want to be able to trust you. Yes, are you gonna know what to do? Are you going to be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there? And same with quarterbacks and teammates too. They're gonna put guys on the field who they trust. Part of that trust is just no, yet, you gotta know what to do?
Speaker 1: Ye you talked about about about your body, you know, combination of pride and body. What was your off season? You know, training like to prepare for the season because you know, for me, the hardest thing was like, yo, can I make it through another off season training for the season, because getting into the season was the easy part.
Speaker 2: I would always take a few weeks off and then you know, after being at home for a little bit, you start to get in my wife like it's fun of the time for you to start working out, right, And I knew. I knew after that, like, okay, yeah, it's time for me to get back into it. But you know, I stayed in Pittsburgh, Deebo and I trained a couple like early on before you started going to Arizona. We trained a little bit in the summertime early in my career, and I kind of stayed with those guys and just push yourself in the off season. Then I started adding the body work later in my career, so you know that took more time. But yeah, I was lifting, running every day, body work usually in the afternoon, and I add some skill stuff in there as well. So you know, I always tried to be you know, again, being in condition was one of the things was in my control, just like learning the place. So I always tried to always know exactly where I was supposed to be, exactly what I'm supposed to do, and also be in the best shape possible to execute my job. And you know, it's funny with all the money that's on the line in the NFL, every year there's guys that come in and don't know the plays and is out of shape and can't do the test. And it always blew my mind when that happened. It's like, guys, what were you.
Speaker 1: Remember the one dude, he the one cat. I don't know if he was there yet, but he had he had He was a he was a receiver. He had a bullet on his on his leg, a tattoo bullet and it was it said speed kill. I remember him.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: The forties like it was a race, yeah, and he liked the past out at like eight. They ended up I being him up and shocking him down a buzzer that wasn't even his. Were you there for that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, brouh listen, Joe, it was uh it was. It was a receiver there and he correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe he was Tennessee, right, I.
Speaker 2: Think so, Yeah, it was from Tennessee school. I think it was Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a track dude. And his forty was something crazy. What it was like like a forty two something or something like that. Goofy so fast at that time. Bruh. We did a forty test and basically what they did is they put like a half second on your forty time, your best forty time, uh half second on it, and you had to run it at that time and then you jogged back and you had as soon as you ran it, you had what was it, thirty seconds thirty five seconds?
Speaker 2: See, yeah, you had a jog all the way back to the line in the red recovery time to go again.
Speaker 1: It was quick, right, so everybody knows that. Hey, they're trying to tell him, like, yo, just make it just in time, just in time. Yeah, So bruh, don't blow your whole right when I say this boy was stroking out there when you're seeing back and we looking and you know how you run and you get the book, so you gotta be like touching the line when it's the beat. No, no, no, no, no, he touching the line jogging back. Boob I said, ooh, you're doing like the first two, three, four. He's still busting them right, jogging back. Man, that boy got to about five, he started slowing down.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Sick.
Speaker 3: He starts stringing some more broh Ham strings.
Speaker 1: By seven, No, by seven, he was hitting the buzzer. What we had fourteen was it fourteen?
Speaker 2: Fourteen fourteen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourteen forties.
Speaker 1: Listen. He got to eight and he just made that one. But it was nine that took him out. There was two groups running, so you got the buzzer and we're so going for the two groups and they're they're separate. You can hear it. Man, that boy that got so tired, he uh uh you hear this when he can't walk. He done got back. He didne heard the buzzer from the other one. He is so out of it and gone.
Speaker 3: He takes off running, but he's doing diagonals this way falls out. Yeah, he was blacked out.
Speaker 1: You gotta take you there.
Speaker 3: He was blacked out.
Speaker 2: See dude, No, sir, here's the thing too. It's it's not like you showed up and and the test was a surprise, surprise, no conditioning test. We don't know what it is like. No, you knew what it was. The whole time. You could be practiced to.
Speaker 3: Be running at the summer the whole time, making sure these times.
Speaker 1: He's not realizing this ain't attract me. Bro, this this is this is a conditioning test.
Speaker 3: Brus trying to impress that. They're trying to impress. That's not going to impress them.
Speaker 1: Telling me just running, bro, When I say he he had to be at least five yards back by time the buzzer was hitting sometimes, wasn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was Yeah. I tell you another funny story. My rookie year. We showed up and I'm nervous to run the test, and like, you know, you walk into an NFL locker room and you're not you know, in college there's guys two or three years younger than you, Right, you're kind of the same age. Yes, you walk into the NFL, there's there's some grown men right in the minivans. They got kids at home, Like this is the real deal. This is like, yes, this means this is their career. So I look over the linemen are running and uh, Chemo von all Hoffen was he was probably I don't know what year, Devo you remember him? Yeah, I remember Kimo was over there running the fourteen forties in bare feet. Yeah, he don't even have shoes on. I'm like, how you got it? And this is like starting to stop. But like you're planting like you're coming in with some force to plant and drew back. He's over there running in his bare feet. I'm like, oh, this guy's this this.
Speaker 3: Man, he's built differently.
Speaker 2: What did Ike say? Ike said, he's a man of the earth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's getting grounded.
Speaker 2: Yeah get it.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: He was under the whole grounding thing before it took off.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, No, when you say that, it reminds me of when I came into that locker room from the to the Browns my rookie season and we had big Baby Davis number ninety two. He was on the team. That was one of the biggest that was one of the biggest humans I've ever seen, so much swag, so chilled, so nice. I was like, like, he could be my dad, but he's on my team. You know what I'm saying. I was twenty one, just turned twenty one seven days ago, and I got thirty four year old man on my team with a twelve year old son. You know what I'm saying around I'm like this, Oh my goodness, okay, hey you got kids made. I'm like, what's going on, mister Davis? You know what I'm saying, Joe Hayden here ready, whatever you need. So like really like when I walked in there, I'm like this, these are grown men, and I'm looking to take food off their plates. That's how they're looking at me. The other corners. You know what I'm saying. You talk about looking over not getting help on the play, I'm like, Bolly, you better know exactly what you're doing because you're trying to take my spot. So it's real, real, live.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna lie. We ain't had that. I ain't gonna lie. My ogs helped me out.
Speaker 3: My OG's helped me out too. But I'm just saying, when you're looking around, not everybody's looking at you like trying to help you out. The OG's Eric Wright, Sheldon Brown looking out for me perfectly. Those dudes, they're grown their vets, they know what's up. Everybody else like this, all right.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, yeah, that's look.
Speaker 3: Hey, you're looking at you right now like I was telling even what time it was, meetings at meetings at forty seven. I'm like this, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: You check your iterary, yeah, sure, you're a itenerary.
Speaker 3: He question, what do you remember the hardest hit that you've gotten when you were in the league.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question. I might not remember it because work so hard.
Speaker 3: Why to put you to I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't. There's no one that really stands out as the hardest. I took my moment. I took my share.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the NFL. Moment.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, I say, just the realization of walking down the hallway and the Steelers facility for the first time and seeing like the pictures on the wall, like I remember playing with your own Jerome Bettis like on a Sega Genesis or something. College football Notre Dame when I was a kid and walking to the cafeteria and he's one of the first guys I see, whoa, he's my teammate. Like, I better be on my stuff, Like I'm blocking for the bus, I better know what I'm doing. I'm not gonna let my guy hidden, you know, let my guy take him out. So I think, just you know, coming coming from a small town like I grew up in, you know, not a lot of people, well, no one did what I did as far as make it to the NFL for my school. Ever, I was the first person. Now we have two actually, but you know, and then realizing whoa this is? Like this is it? Like you see the big names and you know they're your teammates, and then you realize what good people they are on top of it and why they've had the success that they've had. That was probably as as opposed to a moment on the field. It was probably that.
Speaker 1: Moment for me. Okay, hey, most memorable game because I may remind you of something that somebody said, but most memorable game.
Speaker 2: Heath for me, I'd say number one AFC Championship game in two thousand, I guess before Super Bowl forty three, so that would be nine when we beat the Ravens at home for the third time Troy had the interception.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay yeah, followed by the.
Speaker 2: Followed by Super Bowl versus the Cardinals will be the next. But I'd say because we beat Baltimore for the third time that year. Yeah, and it was at home. That was that made it even sweeter. So that was probably my most memorable game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that was the year we popped the Jets right beforehand, right mm hmm? Or was it after the Jets?
Speaker 2: No, we beat the Cardinals, No, we beat the Chargers. I think we had to buy. We beat the Chargers at home, then we beat Baltimore at home, then we beat the Cardinals, and then we beat the Jets, I think before Packers.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, yeah, Jets, that's right. Yeah. See that's when I'm trying to tell you my CTV bad us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you need that's that was good memory right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can remember some things.
Speaker 1: My memory.
Speaker 3: How garbage.
Speaker 2: You can use it to your benefit though sometimes to de.
Speaker 1: Bo, you know what I'm saying, what you gotta do when you can do you know what I'm saying. What I'm saying, what I'm saying. Look here he When did the heath chance start?
Speaker 2: Yes, it started my rookie year in the in the It kind of grew over time. But the first preseason game at home, I caught a pass and I heard like this low like murmur through the stadium, and I just thought at the time, like, dang, I guess they didn't want like they didn't want me to.
Speaker 1: Get the ball.
Speaker 2: There ain't nobody else you know they were doing. I was like, oh, they must have wanted somebody else. So but then over time I think it just grew and you know, started to become a thing as we had more successes and I grew as a player. So but yeah, the first I remember at home, first game and it.
Speaker 3: Was kind of like, I'm like, yeah, what's going on here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was love at that point, I guess not.
Speaker 1: But did they have any chance before that for the tight ends? No, not that I know.
Speaker 2: There was a full back Food? Uh uh, he might have been even before you.
Speaker 1: I played with Food.
Speaker 2: I played with christ do something when he ran the bar or not.
Speaker 1: I don't remember. I ain't gonna lie. Yeah, i't lie.
Speaker 2: I feel like someone said they might have did something when he had just to like Food.
Speaker 1: But I'm not for sure possible, we might be.
Speaker 2: We need a Steelers historian for that.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying now, it's like every tight end, it's like yo he getting he getting the heat? How you how you feel about that you started something and passed it on down, or like hey you just yo he, y'all do nothing for nobody else. That's mine.
Speaker 2: No, I'm fine with it. I figure I didn't know if it was just if another white guy caught the ball.
Speaker 1: The first time, I was like, damn, they're still yellow heat, yellow heat for move for five you know he worked. They were they work. I'm like, damn, they don't realize he done left us. He left us out here to hang dry out. You know what I'm saying. He didn't care. You know, he just left, took his ball and went on home.
Speaker 3: I respect I respect that he. If you're gonna give it to anybody that's balling and that's worthy, like mood, they're giving it to fire. Move right now. Move he getting a little moved. It's not it's not hitting. It's not hitting like the heath, but it's still it's a little something in there. Go tight in love.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with it. Yeah, you show the tight ends love. I'm good with that.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, I'm with it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, don't nobody cared about no tight ends?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What what what advice would you give to these young tight ends out here? He that got to do with you did do both? Because a lot of these cats don't not do both.
Speaker 5: I would say longevity, embrace it, yeah, because I think a lot of guys just want to pinhole them pigeon themselves as like I'm a just a pass catcher and I'm just or I'm just a blocker or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I think a tight end that can do both has huge value to your offense, to your team because now you're not predictable. You know, if you're if you're just a pass catching tight end, you're in the huddle, Joe. I'm sure as a secondary guy, then you know what to expect. But if you're a guy who can do both, they always pose a threat. And you know, blocking is it's a difficult thing, but it's not as hard as it may seem. You know, if you if you fully embrace yourself into it, you can become a good blocker and just learn the technique and give some effort. You know, a lot of guys I see, they don't even give effort. They're not even trying to block. Come on, you gotta if you give some effort, not that hard, get your hands inside and run your feet, you know.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they don't forgot it.
Speaker 2: Man. It's what you gotta do is just hold get your hands inside and hold.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's what that's what it is. Thank you. I would getting held my hands inside on here only. I'm like, yo, they're gonna there's nothing you could do. They can hold you.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to act like they're not acting. Get your hands aside. That's still holding. But that's not holding.
Speaker 1: That ain't holding. They ain't holding. But I'm like, they go grab onto that breastplate man for a ride.
Speaker 3: You can't go anywhere. That's you're trying to break the arms off. But they got you too tight. Nothings them hands up like that, you might go flying, Joe literally, No, that's what I'm saying. Now I'm up in the air. Now I'm exposed. Now he's trying to throw me on the on my back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey he you've been paying attention to our stillers and the coaching hires with the with the moves by the GM Yeah yeah, hey, hey what you what you think? What you think? What's you First off, what did you think of Omar and his moves with the with the with the guys that he done acquired? Man?
Speaker 2: I love Omar, you know, I think the same as Omar as you do Debo. And he was there the whole time I was there and always treated me well. He and I have a great relationship, as he does with I think most players have the same opinion of him. So I was real excited for him that he got the opportunity, and uh I'm excited to kind of see what he's what he's gonna do moving forward, kind of probably getting a little more ownership of the team now. And yeah, I think, uh, yeah, I'm excited to see what transpires. Where are you thinking to McCarthy high, I was I'm not gonna lie with surprised at the beginning, just because of the history of the Steelers. I just expected and the and if you and if you're around Steelers, which you guys both are like, it's big on tradition, like the Steelers do things the Steelers way. So I was like, Okay, then they're going to hire a young guy who I've probably never heard of. You have a defensive background. He'll be a good coach because they usually you know, they don't really miss and uh so to hire. When they hired McCarthy, I was like, oh, different, okay, okay. But then then the more you wrap your mind around it, and I think I forget who I heard say. Something's like they talked about his history of developing quarterbacks and you know the success he's had at quarterbacks going back to Green Bay, and you know in the state of that the Steelers are in now they're looking for the future quarterback. Like everything made perfect sense to me. And and he knows the history of the Steelers. He grew up in city of Pittsburgh. He loves bleeds black and gold. No matter where you go, if you grew up in Pittsburgh, you're always going to bleed black and gold. So I'm excited about it. I think it was a good higre.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's where we're at with it now. You know, I was out. I was a little off on the other of the side for a minute, but I came to yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just it was out of the yeah with the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was where do you think I live? What you think we should do a quarterback? Do you think do you think that we got Will Howard? Do you think we should use a draft pick to get a quarterback? Or do you think we should wait on a rock? Well, obviously I think we're waiting on a rod too.
Speaker 2: But what do you think they're waiting on him?
Speaker 1: But it sounds doing your jim put your gym hat on.
Speaker 2: He I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about the young guy Will Howard, but seeing obviously seeing it in practicing snippets and seeing it in the game. It's two different things. So totally, I think if if you really love him and you think you really see a future with him, then let's see what he can do. And that's obviously you know who knows what Aron will do. Ad is one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think if you draft the guy, I don't think you have to reach for a quarterback if you like Will Howard, I don't think there's any point in Richie. But maybe if a Rod doesn't come back and Will plays this year, then you'll have a better idea of what you got in him going into next year's draft. Maybe he's the guy and you can surround him with better players. But and looking back to Ben's situation, they had a great team and they had it been in the fold. So I think keep building our team and putting the pieces around and if Will's the young quarterback who takes over, great if they got to draft the guy, then he can come into a team that has solid pieces around him to where he can he doesn't have to be the man the men in the huddle. He can grow into that kind of like Ben did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think we're all saying the same as you. At the end of the day. We know the quarterback position is such an important position, but if you have a team around that guy, you're not acting him to be too much. But just do your job, you know what I'm saying. When you have a great, great running game, you say, like when Ben came in and you had that team around him, you're not asking, man, you he throws eighteen times fifteen times a game you win by twenty one points, Like, will you could do that? You know what I'm saying, Like you have a lot of players around him where he's handing the rock off, you're not. You're throwing it fifteen times and you're winning by twenty one. Like that's a great situation to be in, and then you can start getting hold of the offense, starting to open it up a little bit more, you know. But defense, we have great players on defense. So I love the way you're saying it. Team gotta play. So everybody always panics about the quarterback, and that's why I ask you about the quarterback position. But it's no panic if you got a team around you. If everybody's balling and you need one, you need to go draft the quarterback. Then we need a quarterback, but you always need to make sure you're offensive line. Can we run the ball? Can he just hand it off? So now he's in a more comfortable position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that one per one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's before we jump into these super chests. Man, you got anything going on? Man? What you got? What you go? What's what's what's what's prominent with you? Right now? You got anything?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, years ago kind of I took over. I started coaching high school football. It's been Uh, that's been kind of fun and exciting. I probably never would have did it. I didn't have aspirations to do it. But my oldest was going into high school. They needed a coach.
Speaker 1: Uh, kids that had you doing something you doing?
Speaker 2: So now I'm I'm ten toes in. I'm all the way in trying to head coach. What's up the head coach? I'm the head coach?
Speaker 1: Yeah, come ahead, aware what the school is?
Speaker 3: Give me the school that ten toes in.
Speaker 2: Sant Anne's Bellfield School is the name of the school in Virginia. In Virginia, it's it's a what it's a private school?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a private school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some play.
Speaker 2: Uh so I'll have two on the team next year. My oldest played safety and receiver, and the next one will play some receiver probably like it's not linebacker, right, you.
Speaker 1: Know who to call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just sitting with Debo for this summer.
Speaker 1: Send him on down here, as man I got I'm going send him back.
Speaker 3: Man, five star, already got it.
Speaker 2: He's on the way to you.
Speaker 1: One five star year one? Is this your You ain't playing no daddy ball like Joe.
Speaker 3: Is, see Debo, Man, no favoritism here. The best players will play. That has to happen.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's why it was like a team. I had to surround myself with the best coaches that I could. I got and there's a lot of UVA alumni guys in the area. So I'm like, hey, oh, you guys coach football. They're like, yeah, we'll help. So I got two or three guys that played the UVA on staff.
Speaker 3: So that's the way you do it.
Speaker 2: The thing is setting the calendar in the schedule and those guys, those guys coach, and yeah, I could just manage that way. They can they coach my kids. They decide who plays they could be on them and I don't have to do that.
Speaker 1: So okay, we.
Speaker 2: Got we got a good situation. We're building something cool.
Speaker 1: Something special. Baby, Yeah, it was something special.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff.
Speaker 2: This your first year, so uh no, we have just completed my second season, so okay, my second We we made it to the state championship last year and lost. So we're trying to build, trying to build up to the sea this year and see how we do too well. There's two two divisions in private school in Virginia. We were in the lowest now then next year we're going to be in the highest. They're moving us up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because y'all moving y'all as they putting belt now pulling that built out.
Speaker 1: What's y'all numbers? How many excudents y'all got? Y'all can't be moving us up when our numbers ain't hih, y'all numbers high.
Speaker 2: We're numbers we got. We got around two hundred boys, and they moved the number down a little bit, and now we're moving.
Speaker 1: We'll be the sports ain't on that football team.
Speaker 2: So small school will be the small school.
Speaker 1: Smaller school than crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's Okay, crazy.
Speaker 1: We can we recruit.
Speaker 3: That's it's a private school, so we can recruit.
Speaker 2: You can we So we have we have boarding beds so we can. We got some international players on our team, so we get some Europeans. We got some Canadian guys. They come down and they board right on campus.
Speaker 1: So okay, here, I got a couple. I got a couple of you know what I'm saying, got a couple of.
Speaker 2: Business. But you gotta come, coach, you gotta come help coach.
Speaker 1: Well, you just messed that up.
Speaker 2: You're not too far away. I know you guys.
Speaker 3: We're in Virginia. So you send me the address. You send me the address. All right, I definitely want coach.
Speaker 2: Were going to be the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, hey, listen, bo that's how we get our feet wet. And then to Pittsburgh and next thing. You know, I'm telling you, Heath, you give me head coach vibes a thousand percent. I promise you. So if you keep this thing going, you'll be the head coach for the Stiller is next, and then de Boz decordinator, and then I'll go cornerbacks coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, you might want to be the position coach.
Speaker 3: You might want to be posicians. Okay, we can all go. We can all go in theresion coaches, get off the wet together, and then we figure out.
Speaker 1: What we want. Y'all tripping. Hold up, hold up, hold up, I ain't on that bullshit, y'all tripping. I told you I ain't going with the head. I got to be at least DC. I can't. Hell no, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You can be defensive coordinator. You d C, you d C. Okay, Heath, you can come in as whatever you want. I'm trying to tell you. I think you you can get the head coaching job. But if you want to be the tight ans coach instantly tight ens coach, I'm telling you we could get that done now.
Speaker 2: Okay, playing about five over here.
Speaker 3: Five more years, you're gonna win a couple of ship, win a couple of high school ships. Yeah, then we could do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you win a chip. Nope, I ain't about to say nothing stupid, because then I gotta do it. Never mind, h go ahead, we're gonna get over here that we're gonna do what we're gonna do. D BO, I ain't saying nothing. I would about to say something goofy, like I was gonna come down there.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh no. No.
Speaker 2: This year before a game, I called keysel up. I always have a guest speaker, So before home games anyways, a guest speaker. So Keesel zoomed into the team and got the guys fired up before the game. So he's he's want to know for the pregame speech, so he zoomed.
Speaker 3: You know you could do that, he go zoom.
Speaker 1: He didn't even show up.
Speaker 2: We had him on the big screen. We had him on the big screen, you know, and he was like stroking his beer, but he had a Super Bowl rings stroking his beer with his rings on, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had the room rocking though.
Speaker 2: You know, he's like, what's up, guys?
Speaker 3: You know, I love it. That's how you get to motivate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got coming to life. Back on the super Chat Joe twin hours. She said he practicing against practicing against guys like James Harrison, Troy Polamalu. Every day had to be intense. Is there a specific practice story where one of those defensive legends made you realize you had to level your game up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think probably well. When I in my rookie year, James and I went against each other a lot early on, whether it be one on ones when we get team reps. It seemed like I was always going against James, and James never talked to me like you know, he was had the scale on and like, I kid you not, Joe. After every practice, I'm going and I'm trying to get the cold tub, get my body right. Every time I turned the corner for the cold of Debo's in there. It's just me and Debo. He's not saying the word me and Debo, And you know he's like, you know, so I'm like, son of a gun. He's in here again. I can't get away from this.
Speaker 3: Guy getting his body right. Looking looking back, he's getting.
Speaker 2: His body right. I'm trying to get my body right. We see each other at practice. He's grunting at me. He's already intimidating. You know, he's just scowling at me, like rookie coming out. It's just my natural look. I'm just looking oh my, now, I know, it's just his natural look. Sometimes scowls a little more to like play up on it a little bit.
Speaker 3: He does that on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you see now now I know that it took, but that took a couple of years to figure it out, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes it's for real and the ship just come out for sure. Yes, I find I mean, you know, you know, you know what I'm saying, you know, right, they'd be like, oh no, he ain't playing Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then but then after, you know, after a while, it was we take we take care of each other during practice.
Speaker 3: No question, you know, make no question.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm thankful for.
Speaker 1: I ain't making no deals in training camp.
Speaker 3: Training camp, y'all, y'all are making acts on backers.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. I am making no deals in training camp. But Liam nine zero eight seven ten dollars? He how far do you drive the golf ball? See who hit to further? You? Big ben? Ps? We haven't played around with Joe yet? Is it because he's what? Is it? Because he's victim weight?
Speaker 3: See ya? Do you know why they call me victim weight? Deebo says, anybody under two hundred pounds is victim weight. That's you will know, man, I want I want to that's a Magiti statement, right, not just statement. I'm changing it to with it Joe.
Speaker 1: You can, Joe.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to put it to at least the bitch fresh. I can't. I'm like, I'm won eighty five, but I could throw the two twenty five ten times, then I don't feel like a victim. Then I can get somebody up off me. You know what I'm saying. Look see, look he's being nice. He doesn't believe it. He believes them, don't he doth a victim?
Speaker 1: He know that?
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: How far you drive a golf ball?
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I don't even know all like that.
Speaker 1: You ain't even got clubs, do you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I do have clubs. But I ever played in in a decade, probably in ten.
Speaker 3: Years, I would say I played.
Speaker 1: I played more than you.
Speaker 2: You played recent more than that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I played.
Speaker 1: I played last year, Yeah last I'm gonna play again this year. I just ain't gonna drive the ball I want, man, I pulled my delt.
Speaker 2: Here's my problem with golf. When I first came to the league, I played, but only like four or five times a year, And I'm thinking I should be getting better every time I played, But then I would get worse. And I'm like, I could spend four hours of my life doing something that I actually enjoy as mad for four hours and frustrated trying to find these golf that the wood, you know, yeah, like the fish, Yeah, a little bit, yep.
Speaker 1: Do a little bit of fishing.
Speaker 3: That'stle bit of hunting, a little bit of shooting.
Speaker 1: You can want.
Speaker 2: If you're fishing and you're not the fish aren't catching, you are biting, you could just leave. You're not stuck on the course for four hours.
Speaker 1: I'm stuck there.
Speaker 3: If you look, you could do nine holes too, or you could just leave whenever you want. And normally though, if you have.
Speaker 1: Paid that whole bunch of money, I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't just leave you Joe for golf. I can't leave you in the middle of the game.
Speaker 3: If you get if you get upset, I'm gonna be like, man, you know, it's not even that you know, definitely because the one thing I want to have.
Speaker 2: Because it's gonna make you feel better when you how bad I am, You're gonna feel about your.
Speaker 3: You get as many mulligans as you want. Mulligans, Mulligans debo. You know what mulligan is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, you just I give mine away, you.
Speaker 3: Know, you get mulligans that you strong. You just missing the ball.
Speaker 1: I stopped swinging, Joe. I'm trying to tell you, I don't drive the ball no more. If it ain't a putt, I don't even I'm not. I'm not that ain't. I'm gonna sit around there. I'm gonna gone ahead. I'm gonna smoke on my guard. Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I'm drink my I'm gonna drink my za. I drink zevia.
Speaker 3: You know that it's good.
Speaker 1: It's good. It's no no alcohol, so it ain't no sugar, no nothing like that. And then I go ahead, and you know you're good to chop it up. I talk trash actually when I get there. When I first get there, I talk so much ship that they like, oh my goodness, he's good. And then they realize I ain't got no clubs, I ain't got I ain't got no ain't got no shoes, I ain't got I ain't got nothing to go with golf. I ain't even got a glove. But they be scared until they because I talk him.
Speaker 3: Do you have your you have your shirt tucked?
Speaker 1: Then do you have a collar shirt on?
Speaker 3: Dude, I look the part, look like, okay, you got the belt and everything. Okay, all right, I got the belt. Yeah you gotta have a belt. You gotta have a shirt tucked in. Yeah, okay, little puff out on it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. You seeing the guns is out. I'm like, yeah, they scared too. They're like, oh this this boleless golf the world.
Speaker 3: In a mile.
Speaker 1: I'm like yeah, I'm like, I'm like, I ain't gonna lie to you. I don't drive it no further than about three seventy five.
Speaker 2: You got too many muscles to swing.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. If you heard what he said, no rotation.
Speaker 1: You ain't played in ten years. I will take you out there with you.
Speaker 3: Heard what Deebo said. He said he tore his his delt trying to swing the golf club.
Speaker 1: I was swinging too.
Speaker 3: Happened. That's what I'm saying. You're not supposed to think.
Speaker 2: I think I could beat Debo.
Speaker 3: And that's a fact. Right now, I know you could. You know what, that's a fact.
Speaker 1: You coming up? Yeah, you coming up for the draft, right yeah, Oh, don't worry about it. We'll get it together, get it.
Speaker 2: Together, put it together air nine whole. I'm gonna bring about three boxes of golf balls? How many more?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes? How many holes?
Speaker 3: Were playing nine holes?
Speaker 2: We can't play a team, will be I.
Speaker 1: Mean how many? How many? How many? How many? How many you said nine holes? How many balls is in each box?
Speaker 2: Twelve?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Right, dude, would only need about twenty see no nine holes? Right, only nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna be there. I'm gonna be there for this.
Speaker 1: Gonna be he gonna be jotting stuff off lift and right too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Joe, you know the you know the rules.
Speaker 3: I'm coming with the rules for sure, the rules. Yes, yes, Debo talking about he gonna need twenty ball he you're just gonna need to make sure double bogie and we're gonna beat Debot.
Speaker 1: What's the double boge? Two par If it's a.
Speaker 3: Part four and you make six, that's a double bogee. You're gonna be working about quadruples. Sing tumple Bogey's.
Speaker 1: Like if it's it's a three, I'm doing it too.
Speaker 3: See that's a birdie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I do. And I egle.
Speaker 3: I see like we got him coming, like.
Speaker 1: Back twenty dollars, she said a few players in NFL history have their name chanted by the home crowd every single time they touched the ball. How much did that support and influence your play style? And did and did you feel did you ever feel extra pressure to deliver when you heard it.
Speaker 2: I think it was more probably just just you felt the love from the city of Pittsburgh and how much you know, I think I only played in Pittsburgh, but I can only imagine, like Pittsburgh's kind of unique. It's like a It's like a small town with big city amenities, I say. And the reason I say that is because everybody loves their teams like it's all whether it's the Penguins, the Pirates when they're good, the Steelers, the whole city is behind you, like everywhere you go, they got on black and yellow. They know what's going on with the team. They're wishing you luck. So you know, that was just kind of like you just felt the love from the city and how much they appreciated what you were doing for the team and and the hard work that you were trying to put in.
Speaker 3: That was a.
Speaker 1: Covenant life back again. Joe five dollars coving it. She said. Will Howard came from old money. That's why I call him country club.
Speaker 3: But when he show out this year, he will be Iron Club. Will hush, de Bo, you ain't like you ain't like the nickname. No, hey, listen, Covenant Life. Covenant Life is a great supporter.
Speaker 1: She's she's number one, number one fan of d Bo and Joe.
Speaker 3: But she was calling Will Howard country club, Will Club?
Speaker 1: What I like the country club? He you want to be called country club? He don't that sound soft?
Speaker 4: You can't be Yeah, you can't be the quarterback of the Steelers, right, Damn I got that when you said thank you.
Speaker 2: That's like a Cardinals quarterback or something like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is blue collar.
Speaker 2: We're too blue collar in the saying have a quarterback?
Speaker 1: Ain't doing that.
Speaker 3: I'm listening to Heath. I'm listening. I'm listening. You're correct, You're correct. Iron I'm the one that was being too Iron Club. Okay, covered it like came with a better one, Iron Club. Devots.
Speaker 1: If he said iron you no more, I'm give you Iron Club. Will I give you that country club? That's just so soft, like I'm coming to the country club like you.
Speaker 3: Know, bad, my bad, that's my bad. I stay corrected more in.
Speaker 1: My life back again twenty dollars. He said, he, you had two super Bowl wins? How many joke?
Speaker 3: I'm starting?
Speaker 1: Oh, but I was, I was reading. I was thinking, I was reading a lot. She said, he you have two super Bowl wins. But was it but it was the latter for me. Would you rate that game against the Jets part of the top moments or was there a quieter play that was top for you? That thirty one yard snatch and grab was fired?
Speaker 3: Mmm?
Speaker 2: I don't know top play for me personally. My second year, I scored an eighty seven yard touchdown on Cleveland season Charlie bashed through that.
Speaker 3: That was on Cleveland, good old Charlie.
Speaker 2: No, that was against the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: That was against the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Man Joe said, he made you fumble?
Speaker 3: Oh pop you?
Speaker 1: He was like, I made he Maybe I put my head. I put won the game.
Speaker 3: I did one time. I did one time.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: He said. He said, he said, he said he fired off on he.
Speaker 3: I didn't say it like that.
Speaker 1: Then I was like, did you win?
Speaker 3: He was like, no, we lost, for sure. We lost. It was a Thursday. It was a Thursday night game.
Speaker 2: We lost Hey, I will I will say when Joe was maybe your rookie second year, I called him all the flask and I'm going to give it to Joe. I'm going to welcome him to this, you know, I'm going.
Speaker 3: To give it to this lead.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I got it pretty good. And I looked up and he was up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt like I got a little helmet, you know, I got my pretty He kind of just walking back to hol Okay, Joe.
Speaker 3: Thank you people. I tried to I'm not I wasn't afraid I would go on my list.
Speaker 1: So you had on shoulder pads and all the other ship. You might have been two hundred.
Speaker 3: I'm two hundred with my shoulder pass a helmet.
Speaker 1: That's hey. But you ain't no more. You don't play the game. You can't do it, you won't do it. Refuse to do it, y'all.
Speaker 3: Y'all are funny. I appreciate that he for letting me telling Deebo that I that you know that I'm out here hitting. I'm not just avoiding.
Speaker 1: Hey, he would not hold up he said he wouldn't hold up the receiver if I was running in to come smacking. But I tell I'd be like, I hold him up, holding on. I hold him up, and I come in there and I put that oo we on. He said he wouldn't do that. Ain't that sof.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's between you guys. Why not Joe?
Speaker 3: Why not Joe?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to That's the long That's where the longevity in the league comes in. If I'm still sitting there holding him and Debo comes and hits me and puts me to sleep, then I'm trying to play still. I'm just make the tackle. Get him down. People, hold him up, hold him up. He's running over there full speed. I'm like this, How do I know where you're gonna launch a missile? You're gonna hit both of us.
Speaker 1: As long as you hold him him up. He gets it all right, you know what?
Speaker 3: I hold him up on.
Speaker 1: I go beyond. Don't worry about it. I don't worry about Ike, go beyond. And he gonna tell you it was only one time he went to sleep, and that's because he let him drop.
Speaker 3: Dude with dead way and just he would you hold him up if he was on there? You playing safety? If you're playing safety, Debos, hold him up, Heath.
Speaker 1: I'm coming.
Speaker 2: Maybe so, Yeah, I think so that's a man for real.
Speaker 1: He don't got the mentality of it either, didn't.
Speaker 2: I though I took one. Did Lord Dog get Ike one time in Carolina?
Speaker 1: And you know, Lord Dog run around like a blind dog in the meat that's trying to hit. Yeah, and he hit him.
Speaker 3: He hit Yes, So I got hit. You got de Bo?
Speaker 1: You got Ike once?
Speaker 3: And then he him.
Speaker 1: He didn't go to the league though. I got him up, walk him up and he still played. And I covered him that place so he could get his marbles back. Oh good you de Bo.
Speaker 2: He'll wake you up.
Speaker 3: He wake that's what he's saying.
Speaker 1: You know, listen, I put you. You stay in the game, baby, Sure, you stay in the game. Now. He got to got to this beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's how nice a guy is. What a friend?
Speaker 3: What a friend?
Speaker 1: Definitely? Definitely man, definitely he man. I want to thank you for joining us, brother. I will see you at the draft for sure. When you when you getting in.
Speaker 2: I think I'm coming on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Okay, hit me up. When you get it. You're gonna be obviously you go probably head over the keysers.
Speaker 2: Right probably at some point. Yeah, we'll get together we'll get together though, we'll get together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna be yeah. Matter of fact, Joe will be here then too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm staying on. I'm just standing on. I'm pulling up on de Bo. I'm staying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's staying. He's staying over here. So so everythings gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you know, if I need to bring my clubs, we'll make the wager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, whatever you want to do, whatever you.
Speaker 2: Practice, what I got a week? I gotta the practice, good.
Speaker 1: Guy, I ain't. I don't even need the practice. I don't even need the practice. That's that practice overrated. We're talking about.
Speaker 3: My money on you.
Speaker 2: I feel I feel confident about it, Joe. I feel good.
Speaker 1: We're talking about practice.
Speaker 2: I watched The Masters yesterday, so I'm good to go.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's all to take you to watch? Yes, Okay, well I'm gonna watch it. I'm gonna go watch the repeat of it. No, I ain't doing that. I can't do that, bro, I can't do that. I can't sit there and watch. I just it ain't it. Ain't watched the highlights, Yeah, I didn't watched the last highlights.
Speaker 2: Did you see how narrow it is that those guys got to drive through a Yes, that was crazy.
Speaker 3: And then my man, Roy he still kind of threw it in the pine.
Speaker 2: Stray and then he yeah, he got them about he got out.
Speaker 3: Out of there.
Speaker 1: Man. Whatever. Man, I see you when you get here. Man, ladies and gentlemen, Thankhith Miller for showing up.
Speaker 2: The good word.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you man. I will see you on Wednesday Thursday, if not sometime around there. Matter of fact, we gonna go to the barn Joe yep, yeah for show for show, for show, Heath, Quiezel, a couple of other boys, all the other stuff. Man, guys, thank you for joining us on this episode of D Boy and Joe. Please make sure you like subscribing download where you get your show.
Speaker 3: Joe Yo. See you tomorrow, same time, same place, and we out