Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, It's Monday, October the sixth, and before Jason Isaacs was flashing his junk on a hot oh my god, fun White Lotus, he was in one of our absolute favorite sleepy little horror movies that you need to hear about. And with that, welcome to this episode, this Horror hit List edition of Amy and TJ. Why do you say, Oh my god? Yes, Jason Isaacs with a guy, a guy that everybody was paying attention to with White Lotus, was in a little movie that a lot of people probably never heard of and didn't know he was in.
Speaker 2: It was just one way to get people's attention, and you certainly got mine. So we didn't know you were going to go there to start off our number twenty six on our Horror hit List on this Monday. And the name of the movie is look Away. I thought you were gonna say.
Speaker 1: It clearly, we don't have a plan, oh look Away, look Away.
Speaker 2: It was released in October of twenty eighteen, so seven years ago. It was rated R and it runs an hour forty three now. The synopsis is this an alienated high school student. Her name is Maria. Her life is turned upside down when she switches places with her sinister mirror image. We loved the movie. We saw it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Actually, correct, Oh yeahn't know how we came upon this one. How we found this one, But it's uh yeah, you gotta go looking for it, and you gotta be curious.
Speaker 2: That's right, because Rotten Tomatoes score, the critics review would not send you running to your TV to find where it's streaming. But we assure you it is brilliant, and especially when you consider it's not just Jason Isaac's in the cast, but you also have Mira Sorvino, who is incredible. She's an Academy Award winner if you don't recognize the name. And India Isisley is the young woman who is the star of the show. But yes, just got fifteen percent of Rotten Tomato score. But this is of note and I always like when I see this, if you look at the audience score, it's reversed, it's at fifty one percent.
Speaker 1: It's not great, still not good enough.
Speaker 2: I don't think in terms of what we thought it was. I think it's a brilliant film. It's it's silly at times because just the premise of it. Sometimes you have to buy into but I loved.
Speaker 1: It, and so you got a fifty fifty san so of liking it if the audience score is fifty one percent. But we are not We absolutely are not going to be speaking about any movie here that we don't absolutely love and would recommend to somebody. Now, this one isn't for everybody necessarily, but we think it is. It's not heah, we'll get into why we recommend it and all that stuff, but this is every single movie that's on here we can stand by on our lists.
Speaker 2: I think it's a surefire hit when you turn it on, if you want to be entertained, if you want to have a little fear, feel a little creepy. Some are scarier than others. But look Away is I think, I think a really interesting script with it, and it's really really well done. And so we'll read you some of what the critics said to get you just in that frame of thought. So this critic said director Asuf Bernstein's version of this and look Away turns into a slow paced horror film that aims for depth but delivers cheap thrill.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the depth, What was the depth in this. It had to do with I don't know, young lady finding her inner beauty, a young lady finding her better self but ends up being a terrible self. I guess is a self reflection type of depth.
Speaker 2: To me, I always thought it was more of an alter ego kind of thing, where we all have this evil twin inside of us, and this one actually comes, well, it comes to fruition, not something you just fantasize about or think, what if I actually followed through on this dark thought I'm having, But the person who's having that dark thought actually takes over. And so that's kind of what the premise is of this movie. Did that make any sense? You're kind of rolling your eyes at me.
Speaker 1: You lost me some where. I'm not even sure where I got lost. But no, I never looked at this movie and thought anything about depth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It examined some themes that people can relate to, and certainly young people teenagers coming up and coming of age and all this kind of stuff. And then cheap thrills. I didn't know it was going after cheap This was not a jump scare kind of a way.
Speaker 2: I didn't think there were any cheap thrills. Actually, I thought the deaths were good. They weren't overly gruesome, which yes, if people don't like a lot of blood and guts, this is a This is a good movie because it's I mean, there are deaths and you do see blood, but it's not that gruesome. I actually thought this was a pretty good I mean, in terms of bad reviews, it's not a terrible review and I kind of agree with some of it. It might not be the savviest horror ever made due to its juvenile messaging, but it's clean and cold aesthetics and villainous characters just about managed to pull it through.
Speaker 1: They do. They pull it off because at least two of the performance are from like very acclaimed even Oscar winning actors, and in the lady who plays the lead has to play two leads. She has to pay play herself and then an evil twin of that person if you will, So it's performance as a solid even the friends of supporting cast is this is a well done movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought it was really good. So yeah, I don't this here's another review. It's just, you know, it's so interesting when critics jump on and say things that I just don't agree with. The mirror on the Wall doesn't reveal the fairest of them all in this lack luster psychological thriller that never gains much narrative traction despite a decent premise. I just I thought it was good. I never once wanted to I never got bored, I never once wanted to turn it off. I was engaged the entire time and thought it was well done.
Speaker 1: Look, a lot of people look for movies and look for more depth and ah, that's a very good writing, or there's and look for those types of things. We were just looking to be entertained and have a little fun watching a horror movie, and we do.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's why it made our list. First off, and we've made this really clear. Incredible acting, and I love some fun evil teen stuff like this was just one of those fun if you're in that genre. I would say the concept was amazing, the idea that your evil twin or your alter ego takes over to do or say whatever you want without considering the consequences. So that was something that I just found really intriguing and very highly entertaining.
Speaker 1: Heads up, don't try to make sense of this. Well, that's stupid. What is a twin in the don't do that. This is just don't try to put a practical spin on it, and it doesn't make it. No, it's a supernatural, just a silly, almost teeny horror film. This is not a big slasher type movie at all, And like you said, there's not a lot of blood and guts. Yeah, in this movie is just not But they have a creep factor in here. It's not just creepy, like make your skin crawl because they're doing some body horror or some weird sounds. But they set up some situations between this young lady and her dad, a young lady and her mom that are just uncomfortable, comfortable that it creeps you out, and that adds to a lot of the tension in the front of the movie.
Speaker 2: I agree. I think that is part of what makes it fun because it is so dang uncomfortable. It makes you go yee, So who is this movie for? If you like teen themed high school horror films, this is great and there is that subgenre and I love them all. We both love those settings. It's fun. It automatically puts a fun factor to it.
Speaker 1: If there's a ton of movies like this out there, you immediately go to Carrie. And there have been so many prom scenes throughout the years, this one includes one, but you do. You have a tormented, a tortured high school teenager who's not with the in crowd, who gets picked on, who gets bullied, and all these things, and then all of a sudden she gets to have her moment because her evil twin takes over for her. That's the concept, and that works with this high school. She gets back at all the people that did are wrong, that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I was gonna say, if you like Revenge Horror, and you just summed it up Revenge Horror, if you liked Stephen King's Carrie, you will like this movie. And it's different because it's a little bit more fun than Carrie. Carrie is a little bit more serious. Jesus, Yes, he's amazing, I know, but.
Speaker 1: For God, he's got good stuff. I forget about stuff he does.
Speaker 2: So I would say, if you liked Carrie, you'll appreciate this movie. But it's not as heavy. It is sinister, So it's a got a twist. It's not like it's a replica or a knockoff of it, but it has a similar theme. So again, if you appreciate good acting, there are stellar performances. If you don't like a lot of gore, there are some great death So I think this is the movie for you, and I think if you're again, this could be a starter horror movie too, because you don't have to love the genre of horror to like this movie.
Speaker 1: This is a this is a thriller horror. That's a slash in there, probably with that because it's I'm trying to remember a single jump scare. I'm sure there had to be one in there to acquire for most horror movies, but it's not that type of thing. But you're still on the edge of your seat in a lot of ways, but you're not worried for a monster to jump out of the closet and start stabbing people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's monsters don't carry not they could. But it's suspenseful, I think is a good way to put it. It's suspenseful, it's creepy, it'll keep you entertained, and it's just fun to watch these actors do what they do so well.
Speaker 1: We should give Jason Isaac's credit. If you loved him in White Lotus, you're gonna love him here because he's almost the same type of mean dad, right, loving caring but not exactly sure how to go about doing the loving and caring and make some errors along the way. He is the same character almost.
Speaker 2: But he's meaner. He's meaner in this one, I mean eviscerating. I mean, I think there's a little befuddledness and humility in his character in White Lotus, maybe perhaps because he was losing everything, But in this one he's just mean and biting and unfeeling. And yeah, he's kind of a despicable dad and a despicable husband in this so he's easy to.
Speaker 1: Not like, but he nails the role.
Speaker 2: Again. Yes, for us to elicit or for him to elicit that much feeling about his character, you know, he did his job right, and Miras Sorvino did such a good job. Honestly, I hate saying this word, but kind of playing a pathetic wife, a pathetic mom. This this powerless woman, but she does it so well and just the dynamic between her and her daughter and her and her husband. She has an amazing performance as well.
Speaker 1: This is okay, she's probably I mean, she's a supporting character as the mom, but I'm trying to think of what her relevance is. She is the scenestealer. I think in the movie she makes you feel something, you relate to something, you recognize something in her just by the look on her face or in her eyes. At times. She gives a performance here that is worthy of an Oscar winner. I suppose she's good.
Speaker 2: She brought the heart because Jason Isaac's character is just mean, and then the teen gets all twisted and evil, so she's she's the sad one you're rooting for, but you're also annoyed with her because she won't she won't stand up for herself in any way. But she does represent the heart I think of the movie, and so yes, all of those elements together make it a great film. So we're gonna tell you now and we have some specifics about who this film is not for. There is there are a couple warnings, and then what to pair it with snack's food, setting drinks. All of that. We're also going to tell you where you can watch it and what movie. We'll give you a hint about what our next movie is. So stay with us and welcome back as we talk about our number twenty six on deep cuts, Amy and TJ's horror hit list, and number twenty six is look Away. It is one you probably have not heard of, wanted it do just a little over a million at the box office because it was actually never released domestically, only internationally, so you can get it streaming. Will tell you where in just a bit. But this has an a list of cast members including Jason Isaac's Mirosorvino, just to name a few. But this is a deliciously evil, fun teen thriller horror. So we told you why it made the list and who it's for, But here's who it's not for. If you need your horror to be realistic, you want it to feel like this could happen, this is definitely not for you. It's supernatural and it's some people might kind of roll their eyes a little bit at the premise, but we thought it was fun something about this mirror image. But I also would not watch this with anyone. It would be uncomfortable to watch a self pleasuring scene or teen sex scenes with AKA. This might not be a good family horror movie. I wouldn't want to watch it with my kids, and I wouldn't want to watch it with my parents. So if you know, I just wanted to put out that warning that is a little uncomfortable if you're not watching it with the right people.
Speaker 1: I don't usually want to watch most movies with my kids or parents, so there's that. This movie is no exception there for me.
Speaker 2: But monsturvation and teen sex.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it gets a little and it's not necessarily. I wouldn't have a problem with a teen kid necessarily watching it. I just don't want to be in room with the kid correct while they're watching the movies, which is what you're essentially saying. I don't look, folks, we're talking to here, this is not a traditional horror this. Of all the movies we have on the list, this one might be the closest to not being a horror movie out of all of them. So in that regard, if you are not that you need the action, you need somebody chased and screaming and all, this is not going to be your lane. Some called it slow. I think it's a slower pace, but the tension is there and bills to rouse. You're never bored.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who is there anyone you think shouldn't watch this movie?
Speaker 1: Shouldn't? Oh my goodness, they could make this one rated G for all I care. Because this is for general audiences. Anybody can stop.
Speaker 2: I just mentioned masturbation, teen sex.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying for the people who do. I'm not recommending a child watched the movie. What I'm saying is anybody who is a movie watcher. I don't have a warning in here for anybody to say if you don't, just as a matter of preferences in style. But I still think even if you like the Slashers, even if you need to see a girl running through the woods and falling over a brick that ain't even there, this is still a movie you will like. I recommend it for everybody across the way, especially folks. This is another starter horror movie, if you will.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Agreed, all right. So I had some fun with this one in trying to figure out what to pairrot with snacks, drinks, food setting. So this is absolutely revenge horror. So we all know that Revenge is a dish. Beth serve cold and the movie is completely set in winter with snow and ice, so you do feel the chill of the movie on multiple levels. So I would pair it with an Irish coffee a hot toddy mulled wine just to warm yourself up. Maybe some dessert, try to sweeten it up, because this girl is very salty, and I see it with a big blanket and someone to snuggle with.
Speaker 1: Okay, you gave it way too much thought like you were. You were like the critics who want everything to be deep. You put a little too much depth into what the hell you's both to eat and drink during this movie. I applaud you. It'll take you. You gave you took the assignment. Seriously, just just grab some popcorn folks on this one, and a beer and have a good time.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what, don't you feel like when you watch a movie that is completely that I keep.
Speaker 1: Not hitting the mic.
Speaker 2: Sorry'll you need to drop the mic, not hit the mic. So when you watch a movie that's set in the cold like this, and really there's there's a great ice skating see there are two great ice skating scenes. Actually they're both set on ice in ice.
Speaker 1: The second one's fun.
Speaker 2: Second one was fun, but I thought the first one was really fun too.
Speaker 1: This one's kind of wait, we're talking about.
Speaker 2: The same yeah, because there's prom is on ice. Oh yeah, and that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: You were referring the latter one with the refriend.
Speaker 2: That was the first like really fun ice scene I thought.
Speaker 1: And it's almost ridiculous. It's almost silly some of these scenes you see, but they still build some kind of tension, and it's this is a fun movie. Even if you think it's ridiculous and you laugh about it, you still enjoy what you're seeing.
Speaker 2: I agree. So where can you watch it? Amazon Prime subscribers, y'all get to watch it for free, so that is fun. But it's anywhere you stream you can just if you need to purchase it, you can. It's pretty much everywhere, so it'll be easy to find. It's a fun watch. Would you watch this with the crowd by yourself a couple?
Speaker 1: You can do this when on your own, you know what I would almost say, because it's the fifty percent on the audience score, I wouldn't. Maybe the person you're with is not going to be into it. It might ruin it for you, right like you, They might influence how you are seeing this particular movie. So I don't mind if you watch this alone. Again, I say, horror movies, you should always have somebody there with you, but this is a fun one almost to look at each other and go, if somebody else having the same reaction to this I'm having, that would be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, I mean you and I obviously would be able to watch this together. But this is another one where you can watch alone. And not all horror movies are like that, but this this works as a thriller. It builds it slow, So if you just have a fun night on the couch, that's perfect. This movie is perfect for you, all right. So we have our next movie coming out tomorrow. It will be our number twenty five. And here's the best tease I have for it. If you want to chime in and add anything else, feel free. I would call this next movie number twenty five. It will be fun. It's unexpected, it's retro, and it's a found footage.
Speaker 1: Film, and it is not for the may department.
Speaker 2: All right, And with that, thank you for listening to us. We will be back, of course with more of our countdown a e TJ's Halloween hit list. Thanks for listening, everyone, I'm made me roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.