Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off. What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 2: You're not interested in art?
Speaker 3: Now? No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a.
Speaker 1: Conversation, Josh.
Speaker 2: Our review of The Odyssey is coming. Yes, it opened last weekend. You've seen it. By the time people hear this, I will have seen it, and in fact we will have recorded our review. But it will be coming to the film Spotting feed officially on Friday. We thought we would go back into the archive for this drop and look to our Nolan review. The only good thing about twenty twenty was having the opportunity to revisit every Christopher Nolan film and do the blank check thing and take each one of them in order, looking at the filmmaker's entire body of work.
Speaker 1: The Prestige is.
Speaker 2: A movie that I remember reviewing on the show. I don't know if this comes up in this review. I don't typically listen to the archive drops ahead of time. The Prestige is a film that was reviewed on the show. I was positive. I think I was very positive even on the film. But I do remember watching this film again and feeling like I had a revelatory experience with it, feeling like, oh no, the Prestige is great Nolan, this is top tier Nolan. And I thought my ranking on Letterbox would reflect that I have two Nolan rankings. I have the old one and then I have the post twenty over review, and there is there is the Prestige at number three. On the newer one. I thought, there you go. It must have jumped up so much. It turns out on the old one it was at number four, so it didn't take a huge leap. But I still think that as it happens, when you revisit films and you get to watch them again, you can still have that experience where your eyes are open to so much more that you didn't see the first time. That's the experience I feel like I had with the Prestige.
Speaker 1: So we'll see. As we we share this review, What I'm fascinated by, which is going to take us on a total detour, is that that's how you do your director ranking lists. You have separate I'm not saying this is wrong. I'm reconsidering my process. You know what, I don't think I've done it with anybody else. I think this is unique. Don't we do the overview? Probably that's right, But yeah, I usually and it gets tricky, like you might be right, because I usually do it once and then update it every time I watch one of their films, which makes no sense in the comments then, because people are yelling at you for something that is no longer necessarily reflective. But yeah, as far as Nolan goes, I do think I've always considered it top tier as well. Again, haven't listened to what we said in our review before this either. Number five for me, which I think speaks to Nolan. I'm like, how can I have the prestige only at five? And then I look at what's ahead of it, It's like, well, okay, that's how that seems. That seems about fair. But yeah, agree with you top tier. Nolan interested in a lot of the essential questions. His best movies are interested in. Yes, which is why I think it's a key Nolan film, and I'm sure we touch on a lot of that in a review. So here from May twenty twenty is that conversation about the prestige A real magician tries to invent something new, something other magicians will scratch their heads over. I suppose you have such a trick as sure there someone They're gonna remember me for.
Speaker 2: What happened.
Speaker 4: It was the greatest magic trick I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Every great Christopher Nolan movie consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called the Pledge. The filmmaker shows you something ordinary with his fifth feature. Set in late nineteenth century London, it's two rival magicians, Hugh Jackman's sophisticated showman Robert A Jeer and Christian Bale's committed professional Alfred Borden. The filmmaker shows you these characters. Perhaps he asks you to watch them to see if they are indeed real, unaltered normal, but of course they probably aren't. The second is called the Turn. The filmmaker takes these characters and makes them part of something extraordinary. Our period piece becomes gothic science fiction, a meditation on the moral limits of science and pursuit of knowledge, the consequences of obsession. Now you're looking for the secret, but you won't find it because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled, but you wouldn't clap yet because one of our magicians finally winning isn't enough. Our minds have to be blown. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call the prestige. Fairly early in the film, Borden's wife, Sarah played by Rebecca Hall, reveals he's going to be a father. He shows her the trick that's going to put food on their table, a bullet catch, which he performs for her.
Speaker 1: To prove it's safe.
Speaker 2: Like any of us observing a great trick, she wants to know the secret and insists she can't comfortably allow him to do it unless she understands the mechanics of it. He relents, she replies, disappointedly, once you know it's so obvious, Josh, any rewatch of the prestige requires that you know the twist, and equipped with that knowledge, it does all seem well pretty obvious, Like, Sarah, did that leave you disappointed or even more impressed with Nolan's sleight of hand.
Speaker 1: I am really glad you asked this question because it helped me clarify a little bit. It helped me locate one of the reasons why. And I'll stay at the say at the front here. This is still top tier Nolan for me really love this film. I think it's incredibly strong, but your question helped me locate one of the reasons why I might have liked it a little bit less this time around. And it's not so simple as knowing the twists or knowing the surprises, because confession, I don't think I watched The Prestige since two thousand and six, and I had mostly forgotten how everything unfolded. Now, yeah, the hints and clues. I pieced it together in advance in a way that I did not in six. But it's different from not knowing anything. So I was still pretty much in the dark as this movie began. So it's not just that I knew the answer. It's and I'm not sure it disappoints even in terms of its reveals, but in comparison to something like as before we started recording, you had mentioned the sixth cents, So comparison to something like that, which we did revisit just last year and is another case where it hugely depends on its reveals, it's twists, its turns, its surprises. I do think in comparison to something like that, the Prestige is a little bit less rewarding the second time. And the basic reason for me is that my sixth sense rewatch had more esthetic clues to soak up that were related to the mystery. So things like the color red, remember we talked about that, or even the cold breath that you were curious about the first time, and it was a visual element that late you realize, oh, that represents the dead and you can look for that and feel it on the screen. So those were esthetic clues to soak up, whereas here in The Prestige they're more narrative clues or or just narrative reveals to remember, so not so much to experience. But as I was watching the Prestige, it would be like when they revealed that, oh, yeah, that's what this means. And as an example of this, I would say the journal entries a lot of this unfolds as competing journal entries, and it's revealed that the writer knows the reader will read it one day, right twice in both cases. In both cases we get that, and that's kind of a narrative plot reveal, or even Bail's explanation at the very end, And here fair warning to listeners if you have not seen the prestige, we are going to get into spoilers. Just seems natural for this overview and for this type of film in particular, So maybe watch the film and come back to this conversation. But another example of this I would give is Bail's explanation at the very end that he's a twin when he explains this all to Jackman, Right, that's kind of it's a cool twist, and if you hadn't pieced it together before, it's it's exciting to understand. But it's also something of a narrative explanation rather than an esthetic surprise or something that's a little more textured. So I'd say it's still rewarding to watch those clues be cleverly set in place. One example, to go back to Rebecca Hall's character, I really loved how she would repeatedly say to Bail's character today, you mean it yet, My Love's Time. Yeah, yeah, because the first time I watched that that was just kind of like a curiosity, and the second time it holds much more power. Yeah, So I do appreciate it still, but it's not quite as formally interesting as the sixth Cents. So I think that's a distinction between the two and maybe why the revisit for six Cents was was a little bit more enjoyable, even though again really love this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll definitely talk a little bit more about Rebecca Hall. And I think I had the slightly opposite experience to you, Josh. Ironically, maybe I was more disappointed the first time I saw the film as we got to the reveal and all of that new information, as I got the exhilarating thrill of that twist. I looked back at my notes from my original review, and I was positive here on the show, but I wasn't gushing, and I specifically said, at least in my notes that in the end, I guess I'm stealing from myself, just like these magicians in the movie. Josh, I felt a little bit like Sarah once the trick was revealed to me. I actually just felt kind of stupid. I wasn't amazed at the artistry. I was just kind of mad at myself for not figuring it out. But I do think, if I'm being honest, there was a complicating factor there, and that was I probably was a little bit mad at myself and feeling like an idiot, because I'm pretty sure I did not fully figure it out even as Nolan laid it all out the characters gave it to me. Yeah, I still was swimming a little bit ahead. Was swimming mull it over when you got an idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was in the same exact But let me ask you this, because I think this is interesting. You described in your setup how we you know, audiences riffing on the film they want to be fooled, And I feel like people can watch movies like this two different ways. I'm curious which type of person you describe yourself as, the person who does want to be fooled or the person who loves to figure it out along the way, because I'm more of the want to be fooled person me too.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so that's completely and that's why I fall for a movie like this, even when I'm watching it for a second time. The first time sinso six. But I'm seeing it again and I fundamentally know what the trick is.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I still am willing to basically forget that and play along. Yeah, And so if you do see it as a trick, if you see it as at the end, okay, Nolan pulled one over on us and I should have caught on to Boreden's secret, then I can understand some dissatisfaction. But I think the benefit for me of seeing it again and knowing where it was going is that I could focus on, hopefully what the movie is really about, what the ramifications of the twist are, and the ideas it raises. To use the line from the movie, it's what I think Bail says one point, The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything, which, as we'll probably also get into, that could just as easily be Nolan talking about the trick of filmmaking, right that you can fool people or while people with certain gimmicks, maybe even like a reverse chronology in a film like Memento. But it's the trick you use it for that is really key. And in fact, Josh, what occurred to me this time is that Borden's secret, his grand sacrifice, this notion that he's really been living his whole life. I was gonna say it's a double life, but it's actually a half life. You know, it's a part of him, and he never actually gets to fully explore the other part of him because he's divided up everything, his family and his arts, even as a magician. But that sacrifice, even though it does feel like it's the final reveal of the film, you discover it's actually kind of the misdirection, and I think the real secret to wrestle with. And again we're in full spoiler territory here is in jeer sacrifice. Not just how complicated and involved and difficult this scheme is, which obviously took so much time in planning to undo Borden, but that in finally doing what Bordon always accused him of not doing, finally committing to his craft, finally getting his hands dirty, he doesn't just compromise his morals. He doesn't just compromise the basic laws of human morality. Yeah, he destroys all notions of human morality. It's actually, if you sit back and think about it, fully comprehend it, it's actually astonishing to put yourself in Angier's shoes and consider the literal act of self destruction. He makes the decision to go through with it, and I didn't recognize that, and I didn't reckon with it the first time I saw this movie. I think I was too caught up in some of the other reveals. I was too caught up in Boredon's secret and in the one upman ship. I think he got me. Nolan got me with his sleight of hand, a little bit, maybe to the movie's own detriment, because I didn't fully think about the ideas at its core, and since we are in spoiler territory in case it's not clear to someone, the implication for me of the end of the film, what we learn about Anger is is that Angier that we're seeing get shot by Borden is not the Angeer we open the movie with. No that's my understand that it's a clone that's the clone of Anger, and it might be at least the hundredth maybe more clone, like he has decided that for this act, and we do see the scene in a flashback where he does have to kill that clone for the first time, and he doesn't really have much of a decision to make right, but he clearly then does make the decision after that, Well, once I've gone past that line, why not just keep crossing it? And every night is this act of self annihilation for his art, So following through on that theme it is, That's what's truly mind blowing for me when I think about it. And to go back to the sixth sense, as you brought that up, I think too, maybe you're right, maybe some of the craft elements aren't there, some of the visual aesthetics to really queue you in or to be a little bit more rewarding.
Speaker 1: But I did appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I think he did make it fairly obvious, like we know what Angier is doing from the moment he gets the box and the moment he embarks on, well, we should final tour.
Speaker 1: We should know from honestly, we should know from the cat and the top hats. That's exactly what I mean. Right, Yeah, you're right at least from that point.
Speaker 2: But once he decides to take the box and we know what it does because we saw the top hats and the cat, then we know that he's made a decision to do this every night.
Speaker 1: But when I didn't know. This goes back to you feeling I didn't put that together, even though you're right we should have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't either, And so now you see it and you realize that that's laid out for you, was still twenty or thirty minutes left in the movie that the Fallon character is so hidden by the camera and edit it around so we don't as viewers study him too closely because partly two, if we did, we'd probably catch on that he's really Christian Bale. How about cutter Michael Caine telling us early on in the film. I know how he does it. He just tells Anger it's a double. That is what it is. He knows it's a double. And I think that like Angeer, we as viewers, we want to be fooled and we want to be like Malcolm Crow in the sixth sense. We see what we want to see. We embrace the lie. I think our reasons are slightly different as viewers. I think that might be just how we're wired as audiences to give the benefit of the doubt to the narrative and want to believe it is relatively straightforward and linear in a way. But for Angeer Man, I already mentioned Memento. He's just like Leonard. The lie is what gives his life, meaning, it's what gives him purpose, that line he has, I'm disciplined. I'm talking about Leonard here in momento. I'm disciplined and organized. I use habit and routine to make my life possible. I mean that's a injeer certainly, but also it speaks for Bordon. So I guess in short, what I'm saying is I thought that one of the great tricks of the sixth sense. We talked about this a lot as part of our nine for ninety nine last year, was em Ni Shaum wants putting it all out there for you, and he's putting you in the same position as his main character. All the evidence is there, and we choose to overlook it, just like he does. We want to believe what we're being given, what's being put in front of us, and here I think we're actually in a similar position to Angier.
Speaker 1: Well, the full reality of his monstrousness is something that I think maybe it's denial, Maybe it's a form of denial we have where we don't want anyone, even someone who's you know, sort of a not a hero, but a protagonist for sure in this movie, and someone who's charming to a certain degree, as played by Hugh Jackman. We don't want to admit he would do something like this, So it takes getting out of the theater and recognizing that he has been if not I mean committing murder slash suicide on a nightly basis. And I did have like kind of a nerdy question about that this time around. So my understanding, based on what we see that first time when he does shoot the clone, is that whoever steps into the box on stage is the person who will die that night. But I do that's my understanding. But there is a line of dialogue he says, how about how it took sacrifice and it took it was dangerous because he never knew if he'd be the man in the box, which I'm still trying to unpack. I feel like and maybe a listener will will be able to, you know, explain this who's paid closer attention. But I feel like that's a conflict and my understanding was and to me, it strikes me as more powerful if the showman, the stage guy getting all the applause, it goes back to him being underneath and not hearing the applause. Knew each night to keep this ruse going, this long con to get bored and required nightly suicide. And that is, you know, equally monstrous, but kind of a different, differently monstrous conundrum. So I don't know if you it sounds like you had the same reading I did on that otie. Yes, I definitely did.
Speaker 2: And to go back to your point too, about what we as viewers we want to accept or don't want to accept the Tesla line played by David Bowie here where he says you're familiar with the phrase man's reach exceeds his grasp and he says it's a lie. Man's graphs exceeds his nerve. That's surely what we see play out over the course of the movie. And ultimately Angier realizes that he has the nerve. Yeah, and he steals himself to do this every night. But I think we as viewers almost are are that man. We just don't have the nerve to do what Angrew is capable of, and we don't even want to believe that someone like him or anyone is capable of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So let me back up and state, you know, kind of where I was at with a film in two thousand and six, And why for me to say that this was a little bit less of an experience is not a slight on the film at all, because I think at the time, again, coming after Batman Begins, I would have claimed this was Nolan's best film in six and I think that was partly because for me, it was a return to Memento form. I had loved Memento. Was thrilled by Batman begins again as sort of a kid who grew up on super heroes and this was a new way to approach them, I thought. But both Batman Begins in Insomnia comparatively to Memento, we're pretty straightforward. And I was so excited about this new filmmaker who made Memento that when I got this and it seemed much more in the vein of Memento, but maybe a little more I don't know if polished is the right word, but it's a bigger scale, bigger production. It just it knocked me out and I loved it. Now, even if I don't say it's probably maybe not Nolan's best film, I do think it might be his most nolan esque and that's because it's got the narrative layers and the convoluted timeline. We think of these themes. You and I have already discussed obsession, mainly in the lengths the Place's Obsession will take men. We have more traumatized protagonists, both of them doubly traumatized, you know, triply if you include the Boord and twins. And then adding on top of this these bold visuals that we've come to a scribe or expect from Nolan. Here, maybe there aren't a ton of them, but the ones that we get, and I'm going to go back to the top hats. Those top hats in the field or the light bulbs glowing in the snowy field are just when you say the Prestige, instantly I see the top hats, and so I think for me, even thinking about the films that are to come in our overview, but obviously you and I have both seen The Prestige maybe remains the most Nolan esque film in his filmography.
Speaker 3: I'm Ry Woodson and I'm Tamara Williamson. And this is born to the game where legacy meets identity. What does it really mean to be born into legacy but still have to find your own identity. We share the real stories of the children of iconic athletes, entertainers, and cultural figures and what it actually takes to step outside of that legacy and build something of your own. Listen to Burn to the Game on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your parts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think we'll obviously have a clearer answer to that as we do get through these movies. But sure, I would say, at least right now, if we didn't know Inception was coming, for example, Yeah, then we would have to say, well, this feels like the culmination of his career, you know, as we're now back to going in order, it feels like every film we've seen has been building to this one, and we are out of order a little bit because we talked about all three of the Batman films together. But it was funny for me even watching the way Bordon and and Jeer keep trying to essentially settle the score with each other until it gets so bad that we're in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein territory right as we touched on with all these compromises, and all I could hear in my head is Commissioner Gordon talking about the Joker, or Alfred talking about the Joker and the idea of escalation right like from the Dark Night, it's just a constant state of escalation once you realize that something is possible. It really is in this terrain, this idea that once there was some kind of harmony that was established in Gotham, well then something had to come along and break that all up and turn it into chaos. And we had to have an agent of chaos who is someone who has the nerve to do all the unthinkable things that the Joker does. So that was definitely in my mind watching it, and I'm thinking about Bruce Wayne, I'm thinking about Leonard, I'm thinking about Will Dormer. Guys all again driven by vengeance, as both of these guys are right and by guilt, and they're actual They are performers, right, They're not just Bruce Wayne putting on the cowl to go out and fight crime. They're performers on a stage and they've created this whole act and this whole world around them that allows them to act on their pain, basically to make sense of their pain, which seems so fundamentally true to Christopher Nolan, and I'm going to take this back to a conversation we had that some of our listeners heard our family members on Patreon. This past weekend, we recorded a conversation with our producer Sam about The Life Aquatic with Steve Zisu, a film I was hoping I would love after years of thinking it was Anderson's worst. And as you know, I've talked about inception on the show before and that analogy of Cobb the dream maker and the world creator as filmmaker. Right, and then you guys, just the same day I saw The Prestige. I watched it the night after we tape that conversation, and I've got ringing in my head, you and Sam putting forth this position that The Life Aquatic seems like such a personal Wes Anderson film, maybe his most personal Wes Anderson film, as it's about a movie maker. And you've got this director in Marie's character, having to deal with the personal cost of his art and the responsibility that he accepts or doesn't accept for his crew. Just the weight of all that and trying to reconcile what kind of man you are with what kind of artist you are, because it seems that it may be impossible to be both a good man and a great artist. And whether I don't know if you guys use the term an apology or or whether it's an actual reconciliation that Anderson over the course of that film does come to terms with that idea. That's all in my head is I'm watching this film and I'm thinking, well, then, what do we make of the prestige? What do we make of what Christopher Nolan might be doing from a personal standpoint with this material? Is it an actual apology where he's saying this is it, this is the life of the artist, and I'm committed to it just like bored and jeer r.
Speaker 1: Is it a validation?
Speaker 2: This is a pretty cynical view in terms of understanding what Nolan might be like as a man.
Speaker 1: It's not very charitable, but he's.
Speaker 2: Saying, yeah, you know what these great feats are really what it's all about, and if there are sacrifices you make along the way, personal costs, that's all worth it. Or do you do what we probably have to do because it's fruitless to try to imagine who Christopher Nolan is as a person. We take it out of that realm of trying to understand his psychology, and we just look at it as an exploration of these ideas, right, I mean, at the end we get that line where he says the audience knows the truth, and Jeer says, the audience knows the truth.
Speaker 1: The world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through.
Speaker 2: But if you could fool them even for a second, then you can make them wonder. And that sure seems compatible with a filmmaker, with the idea of a filmmaker like Nolan making all these films we're talking about that are so bleak, that have in a lot of ways a very miserable, pessimistic worldview, but as a filmmaker he does try to make us wonder, and that might be the only real grace we ever get is through art, through the type of art that he is striving for.
Speaker 1: Well, so that's bringing us to one of the criticisms, or at least descriptions of Nolan as a cold filmmaker. And I don't know if I've ever been tempted to read one of his films as some sort of personal statement or even an expression of a personal experience, because I just haven't gotten that vibe from any of them. I think you're probably right to point to Inception as the one that most closely could be the analogy for filmmaking. And that's personal, it's professional personal, right, But these other concerns that are more private, personal or psychological personal, those elements are in his movies. But I do think it's something that is not one of the strengths of his movies. Let's put it that way. Maybe a Memento is the one that registers where the emotions and the experiences are so raw I feel them. The Prestige is another movie again for how much I like it, where I would say the emotions are somewhat mechanical or they almost feel required, because Nolan as a filmmaker knows, especially when he's working at this scale. You know, you're a mass audience filmmaker at this point, and there are elements people are going to expect, and some of that might be romance, some of that might be you know, family relationships, and I think we get to you know, one thing that struck me with The Prestige is that the dead wife or the dead lover thing. It's a little more problematic in retrospect and by that, I mean before this was something we got pretty much just in Memento, right if we had come to the prestige new in six. But now we're watching it again in light of the dark Knight rises, where that happens, in light of Inception, where that happens, right, if I'm remembering Inception correctly. So this also brings us to the performances I think, and back to Rebecca Hall, who I know you wanted to get back to. I think she is giving the best performance in the film, yet she's not quite able to carry all that emotional weight. She can't herself as good as good as it is unfair, that's the perfect word for it. And so for me and I am connecting this back to your point about this being a personal expression, because that's what we're as people, as humans, and relationships, that's where we're going to connect. Right. We can't all connect with you know, not even magicians, but let's just say broader artists or people with creative aspirations or any sort of aspirations that we might become obsessed by. We could connect with that, but those are sort of professional, even though they're intricately connected with who we are as people too. The relational stuff is where the movie still falls a little short, and I think a lot of his movies do. The whole business between her and Scarlet Johansson, her character and Scarlet Johansson's character and Bail's two characters just feels rush to me, not convincingly handled. I think it feels all the more so with Hall's sudden suicide, and so I think that is something that is lacking here and is maybe a different answer to what you're bringing up. But for me, that's where the personal element comes into play, and it just doesn't register as strongly as I wished it would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will say I never thought of Nolan, I suppose, as a personal filmmaker in the way we typically think of filmmakers who kind of just open a vein.
Speaker 1: And bleed on. Right, Yeah, let's go about that.
Speaker 2: But that had never occurred to me until I saw the Prestige. I watched it in this context and saw that these meta elements that we have touched on throughout this entire series, they're so blatant here that acknowledgment of the audience, including even the framing device of Michael Caine's voiceover, which is just acknowledging the role that the filmmaker is in and we as audience members. So it did really hit me this time. But Josh, I'm completely with you. There's a line in this movie that really stuck with me this time. And I don't think it's just because for reasons I'll explain. I don't think it's just because I've heard this word cold also thrown out as a criticism of Nolan, and I don't know if that was a common criticism of him back at the time this film came out to or something that has grown since then. It also is a word that a lot of people have attached, of course to Stanley Kubrick, who's someone we know that Nolan does revere on some level as a filmmaker, and a lot of comparisons are made to him. There's a line that Scarlett Johanson has in this movie talk about another character who gives a great performance that isn't really a fair fight. She has a mine when she finally says goodbye to Borden and she says, you could be in some other cafe saying the same thing about me right now. It's inhuman to be so cold, and that really felt to me with this swirling in my head, it felt like Nolan put that line in as if as if he had someone in his life say that exact phrase to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a bit of year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, self critique that he puts, he puts in the film. And I'll say about Johansen too. She's so good as an actress, even in two thousand and six, and she has so much life brimming through her that I do believe her even though the movie completely marginalizes her. I believe every moment that she expresses anything that seems like an actual human emotion in this film. And so that's what I want to get to. Where the coldness does creep in for me Josh in this movie is that if Nolan really wanted to reconcile I think in a truly meaningful way the man in the art personal happiness versus professional success and ambition, if you want to make it more cliche, the head versus the heart. He gives us the elements, and he even tries to make them very prominent. Yes, but it turns out they're just window dressing. They're parts on the chessboard for him. And I am talking about Borden's daughter, and I'm talking about Sarah. There should be if you really do think about the end of this film and process everything, which is hard to do. As we've said, even on a second viewing, there should actually be a powerful happy aspect to the end. That's after Borden and Jeer destroy themselves one part of Borden, the twin lives and through the destruction of his brother and in the reunion with his daughter, he finally gets to be his whole self. That's what Bordon says to him from jail. He says, go live your life in full, this idea that, now unencumbered by obsession his or his brothers, he gets to finally go and live that moment at the end when the daughter and the father reunite. That should stir something in me as a viewer, just like it should stir something in me when I see Sarah hang herself when she dies. I should really feel something and I never do. There is a truly mechanical aspect to it. Your word there, Josh is right. And this is a film I've touched on already. It feels the most like Memento to me. And some of that is the flashback structure where You also feel like you pop in sometimes on discussions from a character's pass only so Nolan can provide a story element that's necessary to pull off the grand trick. But there's nothing about those scenes that does actually have emotion underpinning it, and it does all feel too cold and too calculated. And I think that's a sacrifice Nolan makes that's unfortunate because the film would be stronger for it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's unnecessary, is what it is. So you're right. I had the same response. And what that's a reveal. You know, that's kind of a tell in this movie of tricks that it's not really what the movie is interested in. It's not interested it's in the family or the daughter. It feels like, as you said, it needs to be. Now, let me be clear, I also don't think Nolan has to be interested in that. I am not saying that every great movie has to have a strong marital relationship or a strong family dynamic. Again, I get the sense that as a filmmaker, perhaps he felt this was a necessary element in this story. As I don't think we've mentioned yet, this is adapted from a book, so maybe it was in the book that is by Christopher priest. Nolan wrote the screenplay with his brother Jonathan, and so they're just including it as part of the story because it was originally there. But let me, you know, not to get ahead of ourselves. And I'm curious to see if I have this reaction when I see Dunkirk again. But I think one of the things I love about Dunkirk in retrospect, Adam, he doesn't even try to include that stuff. And that's why I love Memento and he does as well. He doesn't have to do try there. Yeah, he doesn't have to in dun Kirk because obviously, you know, it's men in battle the whole time, so it wouldn't make sense to kind of foist that upon the film. But yeah, and Memento has a little bit more of it as sort of you know again that the dead wife syndrome, but not as much as here. And so this isn't something if it's not a strength of yours as a filmmaker, maybe you don't have to try to include it, although it's also admirable to see if you can pull it off. You know, So you'll have to give.
Speaker 2: This just enough to care about the characters, but really only to care about them when we realize that they're not characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm gonna have to And I'm a big fan of Scarlett Johansson and have been for a long long time, but I do have to disagree. I just don't think the movie serves her poorly. But I don't find her convincing in her scenes either. And maybe it's especially that moment where she has to be an unconvincing actress with Borden, you know, and we're supposed to see that she's a bad actress, and it's just too close to some of the other scenes that we get. I don't know if I had that reaction to just speaking on her. I mean, it's more on the movie, I should say, than her, to be fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think just two different versions of that scene, even like I don't really know in some ways what I think they would be, the bad acting versus the good acting.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think they use Maybe that's part of the problem. I think they use the same exact footage and so because they know they can. But I think we should get to the talk about Bail and Jackman as co leads because I'm someone who has and I haven't quite specified exactly what it is, but a little bit of an aversion to Christian Bale. I think he just he just tries so hard, so obviously hard. But I think he's great here. I think he's perfectly cast as this obsessive risk taker, as the pure artist. You know, you get a sense like this is how Bail would talk about acting, the way that his character talks about magic and performing. And so I'm with him all the way in this film, Jackman, I think is great. What he's the showman on stage, like that's probably what got him the part, right, Yes, when the Great Denton is supposed to be exactly this guy who would bring in the crowds, and he's just there's there's a big gap between that and say, the scenes where he's reading those journals and suddenly understands he's been had and he blurts out the anger a very you know, that's got to be one of the hardest sort of scenes to perform, is you're all alone, no one to react off, and you're responding to a piece of paper, so you know, more power to him, but it's there's a big gap between that and when he's on stage.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen much of what you've seen tonight may be turned as illusions or entertaining trifles. Alas I cannot claim this next feet as a loser. Watch careful, you'll see no trickery. No trickery is employed, merely a technique familiar to certain citizens of the Orient and various holy men.
Speaker 3: Of the Himalayas.
Speaker 2: So that's another part of this film, Josh, that we saw exactly the same way. I was really surprised because I can't recall ever having a negative reaction to Hugh Jackman. And it's not as if I'm negative overall or think it's a terrible performance, but in comparison to Bail, it really doesn't hold up at all. And I think that, you know, Bail's giving a great film performance. He's playing someone who's a little bit impenetrable, and as an audience member, we're just we're staring at that camera and we're trying to understand what's in his head.
Speaker 1: And Jackman, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think he's expressive and too theatrical to a fault. I felt like the performance, I suppose was a little bit too hammy, and that does work when he's the great dan Ton on stage, but off stage it doesn't. So I too was really struck by the disparity in those performances. And I think we're both acknowledging they're very different characters. But even in those moments where a Jeer is supposed to be just as dark and brooding, that's what it is and enigmatics as Borden. He's just not giving you that element, unfortunately, to play off of as a viewer.
Speaker 1: Now, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was having a conversation over Slack with Sam and he liked the movie but didn't love it. This is definitely mid or second or third tier Nolan for him. And he's doing the same thing when there's a movie like this that he's just not buying. He's nitpicking it apart, right, So all weekend we're going back and forth on different things, and most of it I'm arguing with him on or trying to explain that it's all accounted for, that it does make sense. It's in the movie and we're talking about Jackman, and I say to him, I can't believe you haven't pointed out the biggest actual flaw with this movie, which is the performance that he gives as Root the actor, Like how all of a sudden, it's just a Saturday Night Live character who shows up in eighteen nineties London and brings some levity. That's so no, I know it's Sam of course, yeah, Sam, of course, just like you Josh Wright's back and goes of course.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Yes, it was like, I mean, we're really due for a little bit of lightness. And then he shows up and I thought, I thought it was great man his teeth well, and I don't know, you know. And one more performance we should note is Bowie. I mean, how good is Bowie in a couple of scenes? And precisely because you would never know it was David Bowie. Nothing is impossive with mister Angia. What do you want is simply expensive. If I were to build for you this machine, you would be present to get merely as illusion.
Speaker 4: Oh people, I actually believe the things I did on stage, they wouldn't clap that scream.
Speaker 1: I mean, think of sawing a woman in half ange. Have you considered the cost of such a machine?
Speaker 4: Price is not an object, perhaps not, but have you considered the cost?
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously there are a few features that maybe would give it away if you didn't know going into it, but really it's the it's the sort of subdued presence and serene and kind of resigned to the state of the world, but pursuing his obsessions anyway that he brings a full character in just a couple of scenes. So I want to just note on hit a few notes of sort of technical things we've been tracing throughout our overview, like cinematography, music, editing, because it's interesting to see Nolan's collaborators and who he's working with here. The cinematography by Wally Fister Memento, Insomnia, did the Batman films. Those foggy Colorado scenes I've already mentioned him, I think are the visual high point for me. Just gorgeous. And really, how about that lamp coming on at the train station when Angier arrives and just tells you something magical and also scientific is happening here right. The music is interesting because it is David Julian, so not Hans Zimmer who's always associated with Nolan, but Julian did Following, He did the music for Following, he did the music for Memento and the music for Insomnia. It has similar ominous tones. I think to Zimmer's work, but is probably a bit more restrained in its employment of them. And then one more thing I wanted through out there is just the editing by Lee Smith, who joins Nolan on Batman begin so the previous film and then sticks with him since there's a really nice sequence here when Michael Kine is training Jackman with a disappearing dove trick, and the way they show us is we go back and forth to Jackman learning it from Kin and then demonstrating it himself later to a theater owner trying to book the theater. That was a really skillful way of taking us as viewers through the process of the trick and then also moving the narrative long because I did feel, you know, this is a plot heavy film and one of the sort of hiccups I had is getting through all the machinations of the plot could be a bit of a slog at certain points, but here it was a real skillful way to kind of just move us quickly through it. Yeah, I think that's a great point.
Speaker 2: And I had two quick hits and one of them was definitely tied to the editing. There is a real con to me to it that I appreciate. And I'll give one example, though there are many, the fact that we discover Borden on stage at some point has now rebranded himself as the Professor, and the movie doesn't devote any time to that. We don't get that aha moment. It's not like he's sitting in the workshop one day and he says, I need to create this persona and this is what I'm going to call myself. He just, all of a sudden is that on stage, And we understand as viewers based on the science aspect, at least the way he's kind of fooling the audience with the theatrics, it seems scientific, so he's going to call himself the professor. The movie doesn't otherwise get bogged down in it. There are a bunch of scenes like that and moments that Nolan gives you maybe about twelve seconds, and just in that twelve seconds or less, we really do get everything we need to know to get us through the rest of the narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes back to that are you watching closely idea, which is it should not only be a tagline for our overview, but really it's it's kind of it is true of every film, you know, because it's not just because they're tricky, but they often kind of formally and they reward that sort of attention. I think of Bail at one point saying, a real magician tries to invent something new. And that's maybe for me the key line in terms of this being about filmmaking, because I think what we've seen so far, even with something like Insomnia, which is many respects a genre film, but there are elements to that where you can see him trying to invent something new. Certainly did what Batman begins. It seems to be what he sets out to do with each of his movies.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, really, it is probably what any filmmaker, what any artist should always endeavor to do. The other part I wanted to mention is that touch of the blind assistance and that when that blue light crackles and you see it reflected in their eyes. I mentioned in the setup this going into gothic horror territory, and there is of course, undeniably that Frankenstein aspect to it, and that's the moment where it becomes true horror almost.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: Really, it really does give you that sense that Oh Angeer has turned into something demonic. He's gone somewhere to Yeah, yeah, that's somewhere so dark he is he has crossed over into another realm when we see those blind assistance in their eyes.
Speaker 1: So that that reminds me of a question I wanted to ask you actually back to Angeer, do you think he's he's essentially I mean, we do see that he's the real villain, right. The whole narrative kind of goes that way. But I wonder if you think it's not so much that he's monstrous a murder in the ways we've discussed, But do you think it's because he's cheated in the magic world, because he's he's essentially employed science, right, rather than deception or illusion, or do you think what he's doing it's still a form of deception. I guess I don't know. It struck me if that was like, maybe that is an that's on top of his other sins is the sin of cheating at magic in a way by using this this box, it's interesting to think about. For me.
Speaker 2: I just can't help but tie it to that idea that Borden expresses at the beginning, which is the whole act is really just commitment. It's all about committing your entire life to it. So he's a bad so he wins. He wins that way, like even though you're right, he's the villain and he's broken all sorts of, as we said, laws of humanity. Somehow he's the most professional. He proves himself to be the most professional.
Speaker 1: Commitment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess that's true.
Speaker 4: No more secret secrets in my life.
Speaker 2: The Odyssey coming Friday. We hope you enjoyed that conversation from our archive about the prestige. If you would like to access archive reviews like that at your fingertips anytime, you can do that by becoming a Film Spotting Family member. You get bonus shows, a weekly newsletter, and more. Learn more at Filmspotting Family dot com. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: This conversation can serve no purpose any more.
Speaker 1: Good Bye,