Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Oh say, can you see by the Don's early light, our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: I can't see a thing except Max's glorious visage and hairdo. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: And that is mister Noel Brown. They call me Ben Bullen ed Noel. You know we were you know what we were referencing here what so proudly we hailed at the podcast bright gleaming at It is sort of our school song here in the United States.
Speaker 2: Fight Fight Fight, fight, fight right right right four. It's like some of the House of the Dragon type stuff. Man, Yeah, I mean it's you know what I guess he's describing. Is he describing like war or is it a fireworks display? I've always been a little ify on what the subject matter that song is about.
Speaker 1: He is describing the This is funny because we'll see this in the episode two. He is describing a real conflict that he saw. And who is he? You might be asking. It's a guy named Francis scott Key since nineteen thirty one, our national anthem. The official national anthem has been the infamous Star Spangled Banner written by this guy. We love national anthems. They're weird, they're frequently controversial. Check out our earlier episode on that before we get into it, Ben, what I think is so delightful and strange about the United States is that while the Star Spangled Banner is our official anthem, we have a ton of songs that could be considered unofficial national anthems, like Proud to Be an American?
Speaker 2: R No.
Speaker 1: Really is that where we are for a certain demographic.
Speaker 2: Bro, Yes, at least I know I'm free to not like that song very much.
Speaker 1: It's one of those songs where and I'm going to get some heat for this. It's one of those songs. Like to me, it's like Benny and the Jets in that it doesn't go anywhere melodically, you know. Benny and the Jets is kind of this thing for several minutes, it sort of it just goes and goes.
Speaker 2: It does have a bit of a turn. I like the part where he goes, but Benny and the Jets that one little part like downward inflection Benny in the Jets part, But You're right, it doesn't. It's a bit, it's slight, it's a minor. It's a minor outon John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like we're at a one and a half, not like banning the Jets. I'm gonna throw my vote in here is not liking that one too or two and a half.
Speaker 1: All right, And that's how democracy works. I mean, it's no crocodile rock. Okay, let's put it that way. It is no crocodile rock or circle of it. But I'm telling you, guys, Proud to be an American is kind of like that. But Star Spangled Banner, right, it's a we're fans of music here. Star Spangled Banner is infamous for being kind of difficult to sing correctly. There's a ton of crazy war around the song. A lot of people and this may surprise some of our non American ridiculous historians. A ton of people in the States don't actually dig the Star Spangled Banner.
Speaker 2: As I saw that, you mentioned that it was much maligned, and I guess maybe that that just don't float in those circles. But like, who's trash talking the Star Spangled Banner? I mean, I would argue it's on its face mid at best, but like, is there really a vocal contingent out there, like like slandering the Star Spangled banner?
Speaker 1: There have been movements to change the US national anthem. Uh, this is this is a thing that comes up. It's it's very it's a very American idea. Right to fix the thing, but choicing of grievances, right, But but to change the banner or the Star Spangled banner would at this point require Congress, to require an Act of Congress, and then the President would have to approve it. And so we're kind of stuck with this legacy idea, and we're not exploring this anthem in particular in today's episode. Instead, we're kind of going behind the music, as it were, and exploring the story of its creator, Francis, because, as ridiculous as it may sound, folks, we are sorry to report that Francis Scott Key was kind of a pill, kind of a heel, kind of a jerk. Not a good guy, not the best one. Nothing like if you lined up all the guys, I don't think he stopped ten.
Speaker 2: Let's get into why, and as you might imagine, it has something to do with hipocrisy.
Speaker 1: I was drinking coffee and let's spout it out. But yeah, that's let's keep that. That's perfect ol our pal. Francis is born on August first. He's a fellow August baby. It's seventeen seventy nine, so just after what we call the American Revolution. And he is born at a place called Terra Rubra. This sea is in modern day Carroll County, Maryland. His family is very wealthy.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, you're definitely coming up alongside the swells. And that's primarily because his father was a lawyer ross Key, also a Continental War veteran and a local judge, and so he had a bit of a born on third kind of upbringing. It afforded him the opportunity to enroll in Annapolis's in Maryland there Saint John's College. And imagine this, at the time, he was only ten years old, which is crazy. He's a bit of a bit of a prodigy, I guess right. I mean, if he's calling in college at ten or is this just specifically a product of his his privilege? Yeah, before we call him adoogie houser there, we're not calling him dumb folks, to be clear, but we are saying that he had family connections. He is kind of what we'll call a nepo baby in this day and age, because he was studying law under his uncle, a guy named Philip Barton Key, who was a British loyalist, which was pretty poisonous at this time, you know, post revolution. I would think, Yeah, he did graduate in seventeen ninety six. He was only seventeen years old, so I guess that means he was in college for seven seven years. That's a long time. I mean, that's all to me to graduate college, but I didn't do it right.
Speaker 1: Well, he started when he was ten, you know what I mean, So he had a lot of catching up to do.
Speaker 2: He did have a little kit fair. He literally just said, take this child learned men and turn him into a learned man. Originally, young Frank yearned, he yearned to breathe free and join the Episcopal priesthood. Maybe not free he was, and this will be darkly hilarious. Later quite the pious little lad Francis decided against that. However, possibly I'm the advice of his father. Maybe there wasn't you know, there's no money in the priesthood. He said, in my imagining of this encounter, so he eschewed a spiritual path and followed the secular moneyed path. Francis went on to study law, following the footsteps of Ross his dad, under a judge by the name of Jeremiah Townsld. Chase.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can smell the mint Julep's adom. This was probably again a hookup from his father, Ross Key. Anyway, it results in our buddy Francis passing the bar. He becomes a lawyer in his own right around eighteen oh one, So for all of us playing along at home, that makes Frank about twenty two years old. Year after that, it's New Year's Day and he gets hitched to a lady named Mary Taylor Lloyd. This is important because Mary comes from a family that's even more moneyed than the Key family. She is Aristocracy. Her dad is Edward Lloyd four the fourth. At anytime, anytime somebody gets past the third in their name, I always wonder, right if they're old money.
Speaker 2: Well, sure you know you don't get a middle name like Taylo unless you come from some old money either, Because at first I thought you had misspoke. No, it is t a y l Oe not Taylor Taylo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, old money or someone who can't spell or both, so so not mutually exclusive. There's a ven diagram, there's a Van diagram. The United States has proven that time and time again. So yeah. So this guy Eddie, who was kind of a side character in our story, he is, as we said, he's an elite plantation owner. He was a delegate to the Congressional Congress. He himself had married into a lot of money earlier in life. And at this point we talk about this often. In this juncture of history, the United States is still trying to figure out, like, hey, how does an upper crust work in our new nation which is ostensibly founded upon meritocracy. So they're saying, look, these public proclamations of equality and liberty, they're great for the press, they're great for the larger public and the hoi poloi. But then privately, these folks who go to the Congress, and these folks who have these big decision maker meetings, they get together in back rooms and they all feel something akin to a later concept of social Darwinism.
Speaker 2: Do as I say, not as I do, A bit of a who's got time for all? That this is for others for others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they don't want to publicly call themselves aristocrats or royalty, but they very much privately agree that some people are just better than others. So that's the the echelon the sphere in which Francis Scott.
Speaker 2: Key is moving, planting the seeds for further elitism. He did have his whole life path kind of set before him. He is living high on the socioeconomic hog, coming from money, marrying rich. He didn't have to do a thing if he didn't want to. He could have rested on his laurels there his family fortune for the rest of his life. Possibly. They did have quite a few kids. Eleven if I'm not mistaken, Ben, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eleven kids is a lot even back then. And Francis and Mary were also living in an expensive neighborhood. They relocated to the Georgetown area of Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Still fancy, right, very much so, even.
Speaker 1: More now, And they were residing this I almost say coven. I shouldn't say coven, this large collection of children. They were in the Key House, which is now a famous part of Georgetown. Look again, we kind of overemphasized this, folks. Francis Franny whatever you want to call him. He is a clever guy. Fran Man, Yeah, the frand Reno. This is pardon us key to really understanding the dissonance at play and why we think he's, you know, kind of a pill.
Speaker 2: A bit of a pill. Like any young man, he had his share of folks he looked up to the rock stars of the day, chief of those, the equally morally complicated Thomas Jefferson, who we've discussed at length. Got to remember that Francis was born after the actual action of the revolution, so he was too young to experience any of that firsthand. But he came up in the aftermath of this new nation, and like the very young nation, continues to be relatively young compared to other civilizations. Francis was also grappling with sort of an existential crisis. How could a country, the champion liberty and equality also practice industrial scale and laveman of other human beings? What a quandary, Ben, What a quandary? How do you reconcile these things?
Speaker 1: I didn't, not really, not successfully, because majority of his adult life Francis was always trying to tread some sort of moral middle ground and put diplomatically, he had a best mixed results. I mean, you can, of course see his legal career in DC. Luckily nepotism aside. He was quite a talented lawyer. He was known as an extraordinary orator. He was blessed with what the Irish and you know will call the gift of gab. To his credit, he argued against the Irish Actually, okay, all right, I'll write to the ambassador to credit oh right, to the President of Ireland, because I want an excuse to talk about his dog. Have you seen those clips of the president?
Speaker 2: Is it a cute Is it a cute boy's cute?
Speaker 1: Kind of a ceremonial position. I don't know if the guy is still president, but he is most well known for taking his dog with him everywhere. So he's giving he's given serious speeches, and the dog is always next to him, like sniffing the treats in his pocket.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's a Bernice Mountain dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a big boy, uh Max with the facts.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, well, and to keys credit, if we're going to give him, we're going to give it to him now publicly at least. He argued against enslavement as a concept.
Speaker 1: Yeah ye, And he even defended enslaved people in court. As a matter of fact, in eighteen twenty five, he explicitly stated, by the law of nature, all men are free. And he went all the way to the Supreme Court to go to bat for some people who wanted manumission, wanted emancipation. But the thing is, folks, we're making him sound really good, and like we said, it's important to get give credit where due. The thing is. In his personal life, Francis was the opposite of an abolitionist. This dude literally owned slaves himself. When he was twenty two years old, he bought his first enslaved person. By eighteen twenty he owned wish wish again, no less than six human beings. So like the sheer hypocrisy, the profound paradox of going all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States to argue for freeing people and then heading home and going, well, you know not you guys though, right, like not not the six.
Speaker 2: Of you, No, no, because that would be convenient for me, right exactly, how was gonna do all the chores? Guys?
Speaker 1: You get it? Like I can't cook, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So I don't do baseboards. No, this is sorry.
Speaker 3: About your life.
Speaker 1: He did arguably try to make a difference. We know he held something this complicated. We know he held something like anti slavery views because he was a co founder of a group called the American Colonization Society, and they saw themselves as very progressive.
Speaker 2: See how you could claim to have anti slavery views while simultaneously on these slaves and these things just do not track. It doesn't really you know, you know again, hypocrisy. It just could screams do as I say, not as I do, And it really is giving image over reality.
Speaker 1: Very much. So his crew, the ACS American Colonization Society, founded in eighteen sixteen, had had a whole pitch that they thought was edgy and radical and very much a greater good thing. They said, here's what we should do. We should take everybody who, by hook or by crook, has been enslaved and then later freed, and we should let them stay free, because we think that's fundamentally the right thing to do. But we should also ship them the hell out of the United States. We'll make special colonies. We'll make colonies where we segregate them on the African continent.
Speaker 2: I mean it's sort of like, you know, administrations in different local areas and in the United States and Canada dealing with the unhoused problem by shipping them elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Hawaii had a big problem with that too.
Speaker 2: A lot of them get shipped to Vancouver, which is a real tough place because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let us not forget that in our home HQ of Atlanta, Georgia, when the Olympics came in, a lot of unhoused people got one way bus tickets. This is this was then is now seen as a moral middle ground. They said, Okay, we're going to hold true to the letter of the American law that all people are created equal, but we're still going to bend the need to this patriarchal agrarian system. And obviously folks mixing the races, mixing the races here in the eighteen hundreds, that is uncivilized.
Speaker 2: Isn't that That's why they used a really gross term for that, ben wasn't it misiingen imagination. Yeah, it just has it's icky mouthfield to it. Just you can tell that it's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's kind of like how early in the career of this show, you and I learned that Oregon never allowed slavery, not because they believed in equality, but because they were so racist. They genuinely hated. The idea of black people living in their area in any form.
Speaker 2: Still blows my mind and blows the minds of most people I share this with at parties because we're fun there that you know, Oregon was founded as like this white soulenly paradise, kind of intentional anti black community, especially given what people know about Portland and it being so kind of stereotypically let's call it liberal. A lot of the rest of the state very much still to this day quite backwards, and often is the home of a breeding ground for a lot of white supremacist groups. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I find it interesting because one place that is not surprised about that fact are people in Portland.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you get outside of Portland. It's a it's a it can change, it changes very fast.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not that far off from Atlanta being sort of a liberal bastion in Georgia, you know, surrounded by not no casting any e spersions on the people of Georgia. But it is a very different world out there.
Speaker 3: Well to jump to follow up on this, I mean, I don't know if this is africane anywhere, but part of the state at one point was trying to quit Oregon and join Idaho.
Speaker 2: Idaho.
Speaker 3: They disagree with the views of Portland, but since Portland is such a large population center of the state, it has kind of like a controlling basis for how the state votes, and so they were trying to seceed from Oregon.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't just the population aspect. It was also the fact that Portland is an economic powerhouse in the region. And I remember my first time in Portland being in an interracial relationship. I was confused, frankly by the racism. I didn't get some of this stuff, like why is that lady spitting at us in the street? Is she okay? Is she sick? No, she was just sick of us. A story for another day. But if we go back to Francis Scott Key, we know that free people of color in the United States activist and activist and orators and so on. They predictably hated the American Colonization Society. They said it was an op and black leaders of the equality movement thought leaving the country was beat me here, Max, bullshit full stop. So this dude, Francis, of course, is one of those guys who probably doesn't get told no very often, and except that time, his dad wouldn't let him be a priest. So he is a silver spooned, silver tongued lawman, and he is convinced he has the right way to tackle chattel slavery. He says, Okay, what we do is we can't just free everybody, right, We've got to gradually dial it down, you know, like quitting coffee or something, or quitting caffeine. And the implicit statement was you don't have to go back to the plantation, but you can't just live here at this point too. This is interesting. Everybody is thinking of this guy as a hotshot lawyer. Nobody is thinking of him as a songwriter or a poet.
Speaker 2: Not yet, and they may never potentially, although it would seem that some of his hookups and family connections are what led him to be jumped up, as they say in the song of Ice and Fire Universe.
Speaker 1: Yes yeah, yeah, yeah, as a jumped up hedge nights you know, yeah, yeah yeah. So let's pause for a second in this narrative and get to what he is most well known for today, which is not law in or lawyering.
Speaker 2: But it.
Speaker 1: Is the notoriously difficult to seeing star spangled banner because he has jumped up like you're saying, Noel. He is a mover and a shaker, which means that at this point in American history, as part of the upper crust, he functions as a fixer, right, a guy who can use his connections through unofficial channels to make stuff.
Speaker 2: Happen, for sure, and he does just that. In early September of eighteen fourteen, after the British had burned the city in the city of Washington, Key was sent on a quite potentially dangerous mission to the British fleet near Baltimore in order to negotiate for and secure the release of a friend of his by the name of William Beans, a real stand up guy. William Beans a physician from Upper Marlborough, Maryland. Bean's family and friends hope the Key, who was then a of course, a prominent attorney in Washington, would be able to accomplish this task getting his release secured.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because his family wasn't able to make stuff happen. They were perhaps not as connected as he was. So France's partners up with an army colonel from the US named John Skinner, and then they get the you know, the go ahead from the President at the time, James Madison. So Skinner and Francis meet the British at the Potomac River on September seventh, and they the British are aboard a ship called the todtet T NNA and t they go into a negotiation. It's very civil, it's very fancy, you know, sharing wine or whatever. And these two British guys, General Robert Ross, because I'm a grown man who can vote, I'm gonna do my best not to laugh. Another British guy whose name is.
Speaker 2: George Cockburn, he really needs to get that looked at. I'll titter enough for both of us. Cockburn was, of course, as you point out, Ben, in the research document, these top notch research document for this episode, a rear admiral I think that we can vote, and Ben, I disagree. The jokes don't write themselves.
Speaker 1: It's a rear admiral. Oh my gosh, it's funny.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but but stuff.
Speaker 1: We're keeping it all.
Speaker 2: In So, boy, are we ever we're having big, big Friday energy on a Thursday. Just so.
Speaker 1: Uh So, these British guys are again beat me her Max. They are about the cannon ball, the shut out of Baltimore, Maryland, and they say, yeah, okay, all right, you've convinced us Colonel Skinner and rich guy Lawyer, we will release this beans.
Speaker 2: Dude, release the beans.
Speaker 1: Release the beans, says Rear Admiral Cockburn. So but they say, an important caveat Chaps you can't leave until after we're done with our attack. So you have to sit there and watch us bomb Baltimore's Fort McHenry for like a full day.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. So early in the morning of September fourteenth, Francis looked out and saw just that. However, despite all the damage and chaos it caused, the American flag was still flying high old glory over Fort Henry McHenry. Excuse me, yeah. This inspired him to write the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner. After being released from this brief time being held hostage, he rewrote the poem in a Baltimore hotel that was then printed anonymously under the title Defense of Fort McHenry, which is a very unsexy name and published by the Baltimore Patriot on September the twentieth. Just a few days later, it was set to an already popular tune to Anacreon in Heaven, the theme song of the British Anacreontic Society. The song became one of several popular patriotic tunes that were performed throughout the nation, kind of repurposing, I guess, you know, right. And again Francis at this point still didn't really think of himself as a poetry prodigy. He's still lawyer, a lawyer, lawyer in so he just gets back to the busy job of lawyer in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And for everybody who is wondering what the Anacreonotic Society is is this is a gentleman's club of amateur musicians in London and they're pretty new. They were founded in the mid seventeen hundreds. And like Francis, these guys are well to do you know, doctors, barristers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of like a creative writing group or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, well done. And if we fast forward, we're not saying they were any good, but they were enjoying what they were doing, yes, And that's the point. Of art. So fast forward, it's the eighteen twenties, it's the eighteen thirties. Now we see a reactionary rise of what was called a mediast abolition. The mediast abolition is what hopefully the vast majority of Americans support today, which is say, hey, no half measures, stop treating human beings as property. These guys were not John Brown level, like burn it down physically, but they were blowing the whistle in the halls of power, and they were saying what we said at the very top. They were like, hey, my fellow Americans, this is hypocrisy, this is bad. We've got the Constitution, We've got the Bill of Rights. They're pretty frickin explicit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you you have these words, right you and power that you claim are awesome every time you need to get elected. But what you do in practice is diametrically opposed to these noble ideals.
Speaker 2: This is democracy manifests. Sorry, very decracy manifest yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: So this this is the clarion call, a media establish clarion call for folks like William Lloyd Garrison, the publisher of an anti slavery newspaper called The Liberator. And then, of course the famous Frederick Douglas, who our own president said, we're hearing more and more about these days.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that? I sure, yes, he's that guy doing great work out there. Yeah. This was the time where people really needed to kind of poop or get off the pot, as they say, put their money where their mouths were. And it was also a time where a lot of that hypocrisy was kind of being you know, exposed. Those clarion calls you were talking about earlier, were like, we're not going to slow roll this. You know, we've got to stamp out slavery and racism. Now, yeah, I mean the racism part took a long time and it's still it's still still progress. Yes, very least we can get rid of the slavery bit. The American Anti Slavery Society is formed in eighteen thirty one. They're exactly what we're describing. They say, our goal is the immediate end to slavery, not this undeniably racist gradualism of these American Callization Society clowns. Now, we all know that trial lawyers have a certain stereotype, and that stereotype is often being tenacious in their opinions. Right, very pushy. Rarely are they Rarely are they known to walk back an opinion or admit that they are wrong. So Francis there's no exception to this stereotype. And again, it's the stereotype because it happens to some lawyers, but obviously hashtag not all lawyers.
Speaker 1: Francis is one of these guys.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: He reacts to these immediates abolitionists by saying, I'm going to be increasingly conservative. He talks about abolitionists the way people talk about anti vod today. One of his big things is that he's walking around. He's going, hey, guys, hey, guys, look, I get I get it. But the thing is, these slave owners invested a lot of money. So what are you gonna do? What You're just gonna rob these people. They have to be financially compensated for losing out on their investments. Let's be reasonable. I don't know why his voice got more and more soul goodman as that went on.
Speaker 2: Well, it feels like he's doing a bit of a tony soprano kind of move.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my cousin, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like sure on paper, I can see that, But it also.
Speaker 1: Like they're people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, yeah, well I'm just saying, like, you know, there was a time where it was legal, and those people paid good money, you know, to do a thing that at the time was legal. So logically it would follow that now that it's been made illegal, maybe they should be refunded their investment. But also so like that doesn't really work from a moral standpoint. This is a moral discussion, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, you know, and this these ideas of compensation came up again and again. Games you should be compensated, right right, in reparations, right, So this was an argument for towards reparations for slave owners, not yet.
Speaker 2: Gross yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So by this point, the nepotism, combined with the talent, had given Francis Scott Key the position of district attorneys. So he was definitely in the catbird seat. He had the public pulpit to rail on and on about this. But here we find another complication, folks, because Francis seemed to understand that slavery as a concept was super duper wrong. Still, even though he acknowledged that he was also one of those guys this was very common who believed that black people were inherently inferior to others. So he would say, you know, he would say all people should be free, or but all people aren't really equal, right, like you get it, You get it right, guys, right, mister president. And as a result, the American colonization Society wasn't super successful. They've moved very few people out to the African continent. The people who did manage to get across the pond, they were in brutal conditions, they were not well supported. Extinction level mortality rates were in play, and the ACS, you could say, became a tool like what we would call an AstroTurf movement these days, for pro slavery.
Speaker 2: Powers, and you know, kind of adding insult to injury. He also did defend the idea of the occupation, former occupation of being a slave catcher. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And slave catchers were essentially bounty hunters who were paid on commission by slave owners, often in the South, to chase down escape to people and to return them, usually alive but sometimes dead, for a fee for a commission.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this kind of make you think of like the idea of being tried for war crimes or something like that, You know, it'd be the equivalent of like defending a war criminal. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, good defense lawyers often make their name on defending folks that the court, Yeah, the court of public opinion has already decided we're guilty. Sometimes a good reason, but.
Speaker 2: It's the good point. And of course there is that old argument that everyone deserves, you know, a robust defense. I just don't know if that's where he was coming at it from.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he leaned on that one. It talked a lot about it.
Speaker 2: It seems like the kind of thing he would have done. Yes, very much.
Speaker 1: So we know that he came down hard in various aspects of this. There was a famous trial in eighteen thirty six about a guy named Ruben Crandall, and Francis said, this Ruben Crandall guy is not the abolitionist you think he is. He is trying to create a widespread rebellion of slaves. And the evidence is so tenuous and skimpy. Police had raided this guy's office and they found anti slavery pamphlets, basically ratic zines. They found zines, and was possession of a zine with intent to distribute. And in this courtroom, Francis the guy who wrote The Star Spangled Banner, says, Look, people should be able to own people, you know, like people sell the people to people.
Speaker 2: Right, started this company with one rusty slave ship and a motto people selling people to people. Mister well done.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And he built his case around the idea that anti slavery activism would create rebellion amongst the enslaved population of the US, and therefore it was a matter not of morality but of public safety.
Speaker 2: Yikes. Yeah, talk about gilding the lily. Is that the right term? Or putting lipstick on a pig. I don't know, I get those confused. But yeah, it's definitely a spin move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've got a quotation to measure the size of this guy's butt holary. In this case, let's remember as you hear this, folks, that Francis Scott Key again, the creator of the Star Spangled Banner, said this on record verbatim.
Speaker 2: Yep, he sure did. The great moral and political evil of which I speaks posed to be slavery. But is it not plainly the whole colored race? But if I did say this of slavery, as I am quite willing to say it here and on all fit occasions. Do I not also, in the same breath speak of emancipation as a far greater evil. What are you talking about, guy?
Speaker 1: We can't free everybody game out of his butthole. What he's doing very much, he's boofing. So Francis argued for this segregation for the entirety of his life, and in this landmark case, this Rubing Crandall case, he wanted to convince people that not prosecuting a mediist abolitionist was a death sentence for the Union. To him, all people might be technically free, legally equal, but some are to quote or well more equal than others. The real threat to him was integration right leading to miss engination. Ultimately, in this eighteen thirty six trial, our buddy Rubin is found not guilty, but it doesn't do him much good because he gets tuberculosis in jail and then he dies pretty much right after he was released. So this is arguably a big win for Francis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would seem so, And Ben correct me if I'm wrong. Did we not do a previous episode that was a little more focused on the Star Spangled banner itself?
Speaker 1: We did an episode on multiple national anthems.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, if you want a little more info on the you know how the Star Spangled banner came to be in some of the controversies surrounding it being the national anthem, do check that one out as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We also, as we're wrapping up the story here, we've got to add another wrinkle to this morally troubled character. Francis was known amongst his upper class peers as a humane slave voter. That's a pretty paradoxical statement. Yeah, but but scoff, scoff. But in the eighteen thirties, he freed multiple enslaved people under his control, and we know that at least one of those people continued to work and stay on the property was a free foreman on the farm. And as the freed foreman on the farm, this guy supervised several people that were still enslaved because Francis did not free all of them.
Speaker 2: Yikes, or like Samuel L. Jackson's character and Chengo unchained.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get out of my head, dude. Yeah, it's no wonder that Jefferson was Francis's dream guy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Sally Emmys.
Speaker 2: Night number one, A guy talking to Francis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Francis got keyth spoiler dies, he's not around to hear this episode.
Speaker 2: That might have been the case at some point. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was January eleventh, eighteen forty three. He was sixty three years old, fourteen years after he dies. His collected poetry is published in eighteen fifty seven, and at the time of his passing, he still wish Wish owned eight slaves. So you got to wonder what would he as such a morally tortured, staunch segregationist, what would he think of modern day America? How would he feel about going to, say, a baseball game, and heard the national anthem and seeing people of all creeds, ethnicities, and backgrounds singing along together.
Speaker 2: What would he have thought of a Fergie's interpretation?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, well, what do you have thought of Roseanne Barr's interpretation?
Speaker 2: Ooh good question. Well, but at the end of the day. To take away for this episode, it's in a title I believe, is that we think he was kind of a jerk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, I hate to say it, but we're being fair. We have so much more that we want to explore, perhaps another day. Thank you so much for tuning in, Fellow ridiculous historians. Big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Big thanks actually to everybody who has powered wait, we'll keep it in, but big thanks to the majority of people who have powered through the Star Spangled banner in a public performance, So most of you, but maybe not.
Speaker 2: All of you. I haven't been to a sporting event a lot. Do they sing the whole damn thing? No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we've got the full lyrics here.
Speaker 2: Which I was looking at it some of these verses exactly.
Speaker 1: Big big thanks as well to the rude dudes of Ridiculous Crime. Big thanks to aj Bahamas Jacobs and you know uh an ominous we know what you did to Jonathan Strickland aka the Quist.
Speaker 2: And huge thanks to you Ben for doing the excellent research on this episode. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.