Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ns Dan Patrick Show, just how dangerous are the rams? Asked the Minnesota Vikings eight seven seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dpshow you can doubt us up? Operator Tyler sitting by people fired up about the Vikings moving forward? Are they moving forward with Sam Darnold or are they going to let him go free agency market? The Cowboys situation, they need a new head coach. Tim Callashaw Dallas Morning News columnists will join us here. Momentarily, Tim rode a column and he starts the column out by saying, Dak Prescott's season one, that began with an agreement that glorious morning in Cleveland that made him the highest paid player in NFL history, was his worst in nine years with the Cowboys. It lasted eight games, His statistics were poor, The team's record three and five was worse. That, above all else, is the reason Mike McCarthy is looking for a job today. The headline is, if Jerry Jones doesn't get a coach to fix Dak Prescott, Cowboys will remain a laughing stock. I don't know if you get somebody to fix a guy who's injury prone and thirty two years of age coming off hamstring surgery, this is who he is. He can't run anymore, so he's got to be a great pocket passer. Who are you bringing in that's gonna say, let me make him a great pocket passer?
Speaker 3: Yes, he and by not I'm not gonna say getting You didn't get rid of Mike McCarthy, but you didn't bring him back. Maybe it's the right way to say that, right, It does kind of appear from the outside that the Cowboys don't really have a plan.
Speaker 2: Unless they do, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they already had a plan b a coach in waiting, like, ah, if Mike doesn't resign, we're gonna go with this guy. But it does appear that they don't really have a plan, especially with everything that you just mentioned about the quarterback situation. You got a bunch of other high price players. What's the direction that they're going in as a franchise.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we've been able to say that the last thirty years. What direction are they going in now? Have they had success? Yes? But if you're a Cowboy fan. Success is winning championships, not getting to the postseason, not ending up with thirteen wins, bowing out to the Green Bay Packers in an embarrassing fashion last year, and also with Mike McCarthy. He deserved better. I was curious how many coaches in NFL history have had at least eleven seasons with ten wins or more. Don Shula had twenty seasons with at least ten wins, Belichick had twenty, Andy Reid nineteen, Tom Landry sixteen. And then it's Mike Tomlin, Marty Schottenheimer, John Harbaugh, and Mike McCarthy. Whoa stand Stalla day Stantata day.
Speaker 4: This is the stule of the day.
Speaker 2: So Mike has carved out a borderline hall of fame resume. Feels like, you know, Sean Payton has had ten of these seasons, Tony Dungee had ten. You know, going down this list, shoule a Hall of famer. Belichick is reed, Landry, Tomlin, John Harball is probably going to be a Hall of Famer. Sean Payton probably a Hall of Famer, Tony Dungee is a Hall of famer. Mike McCarthy's in this group. He's in the neighborhood here. I just don't know if we look at out of all of those coaches, do you look at him with the same reverence that you do the others. And I would have thought, hey, Mike McCarthy coming in there, will he stand up to Jerry Jones? And he didn't. I mean he did succeed until he loses his quarterback and then it went south after that. But if you're going to offer him a one year deal that's what was reported, Well, your professional pride is I don't want to be hanging, you know, I don't want to be just in limbo. And that's not fair to Mike McCarthy. You either want him or you don't. Yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 5: For the Cowboys, don't you think they need somebody who's a culture changer, because right now the Cowboys are just the Kardashians. They're just famous for being famous. Whoa like, what's their culture? It's uncertainty and being famous.
Speaker 2: So is Jerry Kim thinks he's Chris Jenner, like the ringleader jen Oh, the mominger. Correct, yes see.
Speaker 3: Right, but the culture is the owner who's gonna come in and change him?
Speaker 6: Nobody yeah, you're right, Yes, Marvin Well, I was gonna say, d I might have enough cachet ay if you want me, this is how I need to run things. But do you think do you think Jerry Jones is gonna stop being Jerry Jones holding press conferences after games, doing his radio show, two radio shows, like.
Speaker 2: He loves this stuff. He can't get enough of this stuff. And then Dion's gonna come in and look, Dion loves to self promote, but he's gonna be working for the ultimate self promoter in the NFL. But we'll talk to Tim Callishaw coming up. Kurt Warner was on the call last night. He will join us coming up as well. Mark Sanchez from Fox Sports will stop by. So Bears, Cowboys, Jags, Jets, Raiders, Saints. Does Mike McCarthy get another head coaching opportunity? And I don't know if this is true or not. I'm trying to verify this. Are the Bears zeroing in on Pete Carroll? That's interesting? Interesting? What does he You can't mention his name without his age? Is he seventy three? Like you get to a certain point in your life and you're that's part of your name. It's like seventy three year old Pete Carroll, Like, at what point did it become your age and then your name Pete's the middle name.
Speaker 7: It does feel though anything the Bears do is poked apart by their fans in the media. You interview Pete Carroll, but you don't interview Bill Belichick. Last year, you know you everything they do seems backwards. Last year, you interview nobody. This year you're adding people every day. They're up to thirteen head coaching interviews. You didn't get the called in, did you? If you did you love? I did not.
Speaker 2: No. I turned it down. I said, I'm sorry, I took your name out of consideration. I can't. I can't change the culture here. All right. Let's see Tom in North Carolina. Hi, Tom, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey, DP, I got a hot take on the Vikings.
Speaker 9: It's not really a real hot.
Speaker 8: Take, but I think that what Kevin O'Connell did with Sam Donald this year. I think Daniel Jones will be the starter next year and in the new Darland.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think he's going to be the Darling, but he might be a bridge quarterback there. Tom, thank you. He's getting loose. He had a statement it was you know, he waited until he got on the air before he cleared his croke. Jim Callashaw, Dallas Morning News sports columnist, He's got it easy. He's always got something to write about, and here you go, right on a platter.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: I think he wrote two columns like you're on fire with what's going on here. So let me start with is the Dion possibility a true possibility in your opinion?
Speaker 10: In my opinion, Dad, thanks for having me, I think no.
Speaker 11: But given it it's Jerry Jones, I'm certainly not going to rule it out there. There's something about the allure of doing something like that that would appeal to him. However, I just think he's going to try to find somebody, somebody else.
Speaker 10: You know, when you look at Dion after two years, what is his record of Colorado About five hundred, barely over it, And I just I don't think that's going to be I don't.
Speaker 11: Think this team is needs a motivator, and I think Dion's stuff works better in college than it will in the NFL.
Speaker 10: I think this team needs a coach, and it needs different schemes, and it needs new ideas.
Speaker 11: And I'm not saying Dion couldn't bring that, but I think Dion's greatest strength works better at college players.
Speaker 2: And you bring this up in your column. You're saying you got to fix Dak Prescott. Tim that's going to be difficult for a guy who's injury prone, making that kind of money and is a pocket quarterback and is thirty two years of age. I don't know who can fix that.
Speaker 10: You find those aspects troubling the fact that he's two thirds of the games.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that's why you know I've thrown out Cliff kingsbred. Ben Johnson is everybody's first choice, and nobody has any idea what he would be like.
Speaker 10: As a head coach. But everybody loves Detroit's offense. But you go through Detroit's offense.
Speaker 11: Player by player, and you know Dallas doesn't win anywhere except maybe maybe Ceedee Lamb is a notch higher than a Mode raw, but it's not much if it is at all. And yeah, but if you're the Cowboys, if you're Jerry Jones, you have to hope.
Speaker 10: All you can do after signing back to that contract is.
Speaker 11: Hope you get three or four mostly healthy years out of him and who can put together the best offense that he can thrive in. I think that has to be the target here.
Speaker 2: What happened here in the last two weeks with Mike McCarthy, I don't.
Speaker 11: Know that anything did. I mean the fact that they met every day last week. You know, I do feel for Mike McCarthy sitting through those meetings. The sun never sets on a Jerry Jones conversation. They just go on and on and and you know, in Jerry's world, they didn't even get to contracts till the last day, So I don't know what in the world they they talked about. I think Jerry's mind was probably made up. If they didn't do better in the playoffs this year, no matter, no matter how that happened, he needed to go in another direction. It's five years, it's one playoff win, one playoff win over an eight and nineteen.
Speaker 10: So you know, I don't think anything went wrong McCarthy.
Speaker 11: Actually, I've got coached the hell out of him after Dak left and the way they played down the stretch, and they could have won the Cincinnati game, and they could have won obviously.
Speaker 10: Could have won the Washington game. But while Dak was here. There were three and five and they were a mess. And you know.
Speaker 11: I just think after five years he had to go look for another another voice, try something else.
Speaker 2: Okay, but why didn't Jerry make the decision when you had the window of opportunities to Ben Johnson?
Speaker 11: Because he doesn't operate though way. He likes to drag his speed and take a week give us headlines for talk shows and things like that. I don't really think I just mentioned Ben Johnson. I don't think he will hire Ben Johnson. I don't think the quiet, soft spoken, brainy offensive coordinator. They had one of those of Keli Borr and I don't think that's Jerry's idea of the head coach. So I'll be if Ben Johnson becomes a serious candidate. I would be very surprised.
Speaker 2: Any chance that Mike McCarthy had a good day yesterday, yeah, I.
Speaker 10: Would think so.
Speaker 11: I mean, look, he's been here five years, so he's made thirty five or forty millions, not badly here, it.
Speaker 10: Might be, and he turned it down whatever it was.
Speaker 12: A one year offer supposedly.
Speaker 10: For about the same money.
Speaker 11: He's confident he'll get the Bear's job or another job or sit out a year and try again.
Speaker 10: And he's not a bad coach.
Speaker 11: I just don't think I don't think he enhanced whatever his reputation was before coming here.
Speaker 10: I don't think he enhanced it in these five years.
Speaker 2: Well, he kind of got neutered there, and I don't know if he was ever viewed as a coach that was submissive.
Speaker 10: It's always difficult here.
Speaker 11: Parcels is the only hire since Jimmy that Jerry has sort of taken a couple of steps back and let him be the head coach. You know, it's appalling to me that, you know, Jerry Jones does Jerry Jones does his postgame press conference at home games at the same time Mike McCarthy's talking, and there's like me and four other people and Mike mc arthy's roof and everybody else is down around there. Just think of what that does, not just to the head coach, but to the signal. It sends to all the players walking out. They know who the authority figure here is.
Speaker 2: Okay, Tim, If I said to Jerry Jones, you can't talk to the media, you don't do any more interviews for the next five years, but I'll guarantee you you win one more super Bowl?
Speaker 11: Oh oh, he's talked about how much money he says he would spend, although he doesn't really spend it.
Speaker 10: That would be a difficult one.
Speaker 2: No radio shows, nothing.
Speaker 10: This man does two radio shows a week.
Speaker 2: Then, Oh, I know, and he'd do more probably if he could.
Speaker 10: I mean, he'd like to do drive time.
Speaker 2: He would like to host three to six.
Speaker 10: Going Home with Jerry, but that would be a yeah at this point. At this point, it is ten year here on this planet. I don't think he's I don't think he's going that maybe here.
Speaker 2: Oh, he couldn't do it. He could not do it. He loves it, he's addicted to it, and he wants everybody to know that he knows what he's doing. Just trust me. I got a plan. It's been good hands, great to talk to you as always, and probably check in with you again soon because you're going to eventually get a head coach here.
Speaker 10: May we'll have a head coach. We'll see who that is.
Speaker 2: Thank you to all right. That's Tim Callishaw, star of Around the Horn. He also gets around to doing uh, Dallas morning news columnist work. There you imagine you say to Jerry Jerry can't say work, no interviews, you know, no features here, no documentaries, no nothing, and you're going to win another Super Bowl? Well, how long do I have to not talk?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting what Tim said there because he said that he doesn't think that a guy like Ben Johnson sort of like a quiet, brainy type guy, is Jerry Jones' style of coach. Maybe that's exactly what they need. Jerry is the star, He's the guy up front. You don't need a larger than life personality to also combat that, you know what I mean, or to go alongside of that. There's really only room for one guy in the camera there.
Speaker 2: But here's the problem I have with it that, yes, that is the reality of this, but I got to bring in somebody who will stand up to Jerry because Jerry has made some decisions that aren't the right decisions or at the right time, but nobody stands up to him. They're like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: It kind of feels like they just had that guy who came in with a certain amount of like I don't know if it's cachet or certainly coaching history, where you're not really going to tell me how to do this. Because I'm the guy who knows how to do that. I don't know that standing up to Jerry and pushing back works there either, does it.
Speaker 2: I don't think that Mike McCarthy stood up to him. I don't think so. Now he might say no, I did. I picked my spots. Maybe, but I can't imagine. You know, Jerry has a type. You know, it's like when guy goes, oh, I got a type of woman that I Jerry has a type of coach, and that's what he wants. He is if he could play quarterback, he'd play quarterback. Your owner, your GM, you're the mouthpiece for the friend. It's it's not changing anytime soon. And we said, do you sign Dak Prescott to that contract? I wouldn't have he did. He waited a long time. Ceedee Lamb is a star. Can you feature him enough? I wouldn't have brought back Zeke Elliott. Now have they had some good drafts? They have? Now you got to pay Michael Parsons. He's gonna want forty million dollars a year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, remember a couple of years ago, maybe two three years ago, when they had the assistant coaches Dan Quinn and Kellen Moore, and they're like, don't let either of those guys out of the building. Don't let them go. You'd rather hire one of them and bounce Mike McCarthy. Then you can't bring back Dan Quinn. He's all set in Washington, he's going nowhere. He's set. But Kellen Moore is the offensive coordinator of the Eagles. He's very young still. He looks like he's twelve. I think he's like under forty. That seems like a guy that.
Speaker 2: But if okay, But Kyle O. Shawn says, you got to fix Dak Prescott. You can't fix somebody who's thirty two in an injury prone. You just can't. And the offensive line is not like the Lions or the Eagles. The offensive line used to be great. It's not. You don't have a dangerous running back. You got Cede Lamb, You've got a couple of impact players on defense. I don't I don't know if you can bring in And is it a culture changer or is it somebody who's going to come in and be able to fix Dak Prescott? Can you get both? All right, We'll take a break. We'll talk to Kurt Oorner. He was on the call last night, and we'll talk to him about just how dangerous the rams are and what does he expect to happen in Dallas back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 13: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 14: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Koben on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Kurt Warner Hall of Famer. You can catch him on NFL Networks Game Day Morning. He was on the call for Westwood one Radio last night with the wild Card game between the vikings of the Rams. Kurt, good to see you again. What did you expect pregame was going to happen last night?
Speaker 12: Yeah? There, I wish I knew. I didn't really know what to expect.
Speaker 4: You know, anytime you throw you know, everything that was thrown at the Rams into this week, including you know, issues with your family and maybe friends of yours. I don't think you ever really know how team is going to respond. They are going to grow together. But I think Sean McVay did an unbelievable job. Give some credit to the Cardinals. I thought they did an unbelievable job of welcoming the Rams. And making them feel at home. But what a performance. I mean, they came out from the get go and they dominated that game. And I think oftentimes when you have situations like this, Dan, it goes one of two ways, right, and you find out pretty early whether a team is ready to play or whether their mind is on something else. And we saw very early that the Rams were ready to play.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's look at Sam Darnald because we know his future could be at stake in Minnesota these last two games. What did you see from Sam Donald that you didn't see in the other games this season.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, we'll put it on the team as a whole.
Speaker 4: I thought Minnesota got physically dominated in both games. So that's the first issue is And it wasn't just upfront. Sometimes it was on the back end with the receivers as well. But maybe the biggest thing for me was Sam and I kind of saw it all year long, was his struggles with pressure, you know, understanding when pressure is coming and having answers for that pressure. Sometimes that answer isn't even just a completion, but it's just saving some yards. You know. There was that situation in the fourth quarter last night where theyre what third and eight or something like that, and he takes the huge sack. I mean, in that situation you got to at least set up for a field goal. So if nothing else, throw the football away, maybe you go forward on fourth down because you're in that situation. But there's too many times this year of him just holding and taking negative plays, and those negative plays are just hard to overcome. So that, to me was probably the biggest issue that I saw. And then you have to ask yourself the question, as I know everybody is, is okay, if you want to keep him around, what does.
Speaker 12: That look like? What kind of commitment do you have to make to him?
Speaker 4: And you know, in those big games, the two biggest games of the year, he didn't play very well. Are you willing to, you know, commit to him long term?
Speaker 12: You know? After seeing that?
Speaker 2: All right, I'll ask you play GM, would you keep Sam Darnold if the price is right?
Speaker 4: I would say yes, I would keep them with the prices right, I think the question would be how long do I have to keep him? And then the other factor, dan is I don't really know what we have in JJ McCarthy, Like I didn't see him in preseason. I didn't know where he was. I don't know if you know the Vikings were ready to start him after that one preseason game, or if you know they hadn't seen enough and Sam was the guy. So I feel like after watching them this year, they've got a good enough team that they need.
Speaker 12: A guy at that position to make them competitive. Sam made them.
Speaker 4: More than competitive all year long. But that, to me is the question. I don't really know what you have in JJ McCarthy. I didn't see enough in college. I didn't see enough with the Vikings to know for sure. If you feel like you have enough, then absolutely not, you go with JJ and you move forward. But if you're not sure, I think it's hard to let a guy that did that well out of the building and you say, Okay, so we saw one flaw or we saw a flaw with our team.
Speaker 12: We need to fix that flaw.
Speaker 4: But if we do, we've got this quarterback that played at a really, really high level.
Speaker 2: Okay, but is this fixable. You're talking about pressure, Well, every quarterback faces pressure. The difference is you welcomed pressure. He seemed to be unnerved or very nerved by it, like oh my god. And then you start to kind of get out of your comfort zone. So can you fix what you saw the last two games?
Speaker 11: Dan?
Speaker 4: I wish I knew the answer to that, but I'm with you. I think there are some people that in that moment, when pressure's on them, high stakes, they can just slow the game down and make the right decision.
Speaker 12: I made a comment about Jayden Daniels from the night before, and what I love.
Speaker 4: About Jaden Daniels is he makes the right decision in the moment, even if he doesn't see it, even if something's not open, He'll throw the football away, you know, he'll take off and make a two or three yard gain instead of taking these sacks.
Speaker 12: And here's a rookie that we're seeing do this.
Speaker 4: And so I've always wondered if that's something that truly can be taught. You know, when you've got pressure around you, or when the game speeds up, can you slow it down and have that answer? I think, you know, I think for the most part, if you're good at it, you're good at it.
Speaker 12: Do you do?
Speaker 4: I think you can help a quarterback, Sure, you can help them by giving them some answers, But I don't know if that's something that all of a sudden, we're gonna see a quarterback that's not good against pressure become great against pressure. I'm not sure that's something that's that you can really learn.
Speaker 2: How threatening are the Rams.
Speaker 4: I think they're they're scary, and I think they're scary in a game where they can win the line of scrimmage, and that to me.
Speaker 2: Is but you're going against the Eagles now.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and so that to me is where I feel like the Rams could struggle a little bit as upfront.
Speaker 12: You know, if they can.
Speaker 4: Handle it up front. They obviously have playmakers. They've got a young front. I mean, nine sacks last night by eight different guys. They've got lots of guys that can.
Speaker 12: Get after the quarterback. I just don't think Philly is going to play that sort of game.
Speaker 4: So I think they are a dangerous team based on what Matthew Staffer can do, the weapons that they have, But it has to be more their their way of playing football, and I'm not sure they're to be able to dictate that against Billy.
Speaker 2: He's the Hall of Famer Kurt Warner. You can see him on NFL Game Day Mornings with Rich Eisending Company. He was on the call last night the Vikings and the Rams. If I said, you can have Jayden Daniels moving forward or justin Herbert.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm taking Jade Daniels. I mean, no, no doubt about it. I mean, I just I've seen that young man play.
Speaker 2: It's quarterback k.
Speaker 12: Maybe just outside of that.
Speaker 4: But I'm probably only saying that because because he's a rookie, right and because you know, against one year and one body of work. But if I stacked up all the things that he does well and put him up against the top five quarterbacks in the league, it would be hard for me to find five guys that do all the things as well as Jayden Daniels has done this year, the critical moments, handed on pressure, just the consistency of his technique the red zone. You know, normally you have struggles in the red zone because everything gets tighter. He has been phenomenal in the red zone last two minutes of games in critical moments like it would be hard to probably find five guys that have played consistently better than him all year long.
Speaker 2: I think you were twenty eight when you were a rookie. Weren't you my first year playing?
Speaker 10: Yes, I was twenty Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty eight the Bills in the Ravens and both of these quarterbacks trying not to do too much. Like you almost have to say to yourself, Okay, I still got to be that same person that I've been all season long or my career. But sometimes you want to play outside of yourself. And sometimes we've seen where you know you're your own worst enemy. So how do you have that seat belt on that says just stay within yourself here?
Speaker 4: I think the biggest thing, Dan is you don't predetermine that you're going to do something that maybe the situation doesn't dictate. You know, like if you drop back and you're telling yourself, hey, I'm going to take off here if if I see any kind of a window as opposed to reading the play and then taking off when the play dictates that, that to me is the key is you have to play the play. But the easy thing to do is, oh, I need to make a big play right here. So I'm gonna go back and I'm gonna throw.
Speaker 12: This deep one.
Speaker 4: You know, if I get any scenario like you can't talk yourself into doing things that the situation doesn't dictate for you to do.
Speaker 12: And I'm sure, you know. You know me, I wasn't a runner. I couldn't move.
Speaker 4: Uh so my dictating was, you know, saying I'm gonna kind of force a deeper throw or make a bigger play than was out there. For these guys, it's taken off and creating, you know, instead of you know, winning with their arm.
Speaker 12: It's like, hey, I can go back.
Speaker 4: And you see these guys do this at times where they hit their back foot and they're already taken off to run because they felt something. And in those situations, I almost feel like it's you're dictating that ahead of time. I know this is a pass, but if I drop back and I see something, I'm just gonna take off and run instead of allowing the situation to play out for you. And I think that's what you have to fight. The more talented you are, the more things you can do, the more you have to fight that and say, play within myself, play within what the play dictates, and don't try to do too much. Not always an easy thing to do, but that to me is the key is play. Play to play and don't allow those thoughts to get in your head, you know, ahead of time to dictate how you're going to play.
Speaker 2: How desirable is the Cowboys, John.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's always desirable from the standpoint that you know, if you win as a Dallas Cowboy, if you have success as the Dallas Cowboy, you're going to get notoriety and you're going to have you know, that platform that I think you know, every player and every coach covets. Right when you get to this level. You want to know that when you play, you're going to be on TV and what you do is going to be going to be focused on around the league. But you know, I think everybody's talked about it. There's the negative side to that as well, because we have this that the Cowboys are supposed to win championships, even though it hasn't been. It's been thirty years since they've won championships. So, like Mike McCarthy, you win a lot in the regular season, not good enough, not good enough, not good enough, And then we always talk about the second factor is you've got an owner that wants to be out in the forefront and the owner saying things that you know, as a coach, you're like, I don't want anybody saying that, you know, I want to keep this stuff in the house.
Speaker 12: I want to be able to lead here.
Speaker 4: And you've got to fight your ownership a little bit in what they're saying and deal with that. So you know, those two factors I think can can make it a tough job. But I don't think anybody you know that wants to be a head coach is going to turn down the opportunity to be a head coach of the Dallas Cowboys because you know what that means. If you believe in yourself and you have success, what that can mean for your career.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you is always thank you.
Speaker 12: I'm going to talk to you too.
Speaker 2: Thank you, buddy, Thank you buddy. That's Kurt Warner, Hall of Famer. You can see him on NFL Game Day mornings and on the call last night. Uh Noah in North Carolina? Good morning, Noah. What's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dan, Patrick, Dan, and uh more? I think specifically sprintsy.
Speaker 2: Are you at work?
Speaker 9: Noah? Yeah, yeah, I'm going somewhere quiet?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: Is it any better?
Speaker 2: Do you guys want to guess what Noah does for a living? Todd, what do you think work on some.
Speaker 7: Kind of print shop or carpentry work.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seaton, got a guess where Noah, just judging from the background noise.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess that they're loading loading doctor loading stuff there.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about you, Mark, he.
Speaker 5: Works in Amazon warehouse.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Okay, well that's specific.
Speaker 7: Okay, Pauline Outdoors Construction. They're doing a little demo work today.
Speaker 2: In the little demo work there, I'm gonna say auto repair.
Speaker 9: I am actually building an Amazon.
Speaker 2: WHOA, So you're you're building an Amazon warehouse?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, one of their distribution centers.
Speaker 2: Marvin, I'm gonna give that to you. Congratulations, Blue all right.
Speaker 9: Uh no, you're so big.
Speaker 2: Uh, Noah, you have to pay off a bet.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, uh, I got it. I'm really glad the stress is over.
Speaker 16: And I betrayed my team and I took the pitiful Steelers to go to the super Bowl, and uh it's a deserved hide.
Speaker 9: To the face.
Speaker 16: And I'm looking forward to taking this one and I will never do this again because I believe now, and I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I need you to Noah, we need somebody you work with to videotape that and then send it in so we can play it on the show. But good to hear from you and thanks thanks for joining us. So that's Noah building an Amazon distribution center. I believe so, Marvin, I'm going to give you credit for that. Well done.
Speaker 7: Hey, Amazon's everywhere?
Speaker 2: Why not? Yeah? Dylan in Nashville, Hi, Dylan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Dan six foot wanted to see what you thought about the possibility.
Speaker 4: That Dallas hires Dion and then trades up with the Titan, sends Dax to Nashville and draft your dirt.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But if I'm Nashville, why do I want Dak Prescott? I like how we always look at trades as one sided, like how does my team benefit here? You never think about the other side. I remember listening to Mike and the Mad Dog on WFA and New York and people would always call in with these trade proposals. I'm thinking that maybe we send Luis Soho to the Red Sox for uh David Ortiz. I'll hang up and listen, and you go, what.
Speaker 3: Do we send the benniag Bayani and two picks for Roger Clemons?
Speaker 7: Like the Titans are sitting around going how can we get older and more injured?
Speaker 2: A quarterback?
Speaker 7: And spend more in the position. Let's go, Hey, what about Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's spend a whole lot of money on a guy that's injury prone and he's thirty two. I like that philosophy. We'll take a break when we come back. We played this Sam Darnold game and a very special NFL quiz after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Mike Vrabel he's already stepped into the job, and he's already trying to change the culture in New England. Here's the Patriots new head coach.
Speaker 15: To galvanize our football team. I want to galvanize this building. I want to galvanize our fans, and the most important thing are the players.
Speaker 10: There's some of them right here.
Speaker 15: I want to provide a program that provides their ownership but also their accountability of each other, and one that they'll be proud to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Okay, Satan or you fired up with Mike Brabel as the Patriots new head coach. Uh yeah, yeah, I think it's awesome. I think it's a great hire.
Speaker 3: I think it's terrible for what we do in this business, though, if he's going to have that pleasant demeanor. Hey, thanks a lot, Jim for asking the question. You know, I'm really glad that you asked that. Let me answer you. And here's my thoughts on that. What the hell are we supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: I see what Seatan's saying. He and I were sitting here watching it yesterday, and every time Mike brabel was asked a question, the reporters like, Mike, ready to have you back. Hey, good to see it, Timmy. Yeah, Charles, it was the opposite of Belichick.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He didn't call anybody stupid.
Speaker 3: He didn't like roll his eyes once, no real audible size enunciated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't belittle or demean anyone. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I miss the old days.
Speaker 2: What's happening in New England? Yeah, although I loved Belichick last night, the irascable Bill Belichick when when they they didn't call a fumble or intentional grounding on Matthew Stafford and Belichick had this to say on the manning.
Speaker 10: Cast across he ran into the left tackle.
Speaker 11: In fact, throw the pass forward number seven.
Speaker 13: It was in the area, therefore it is an incomplete pass?
Speaker 2: Second an offensive league, what are you guys doing. There's no rules to help the defense. In the NFL, you can get away with that. They call it an incomplete pass. Okay, I think it was the right call, but it felt like it was the wrong call. It was like, oh, come on, you're gonna punish the Vikings for that moment that would have tied the game ten ten. But here is Belichick. Oh, come on, it's an offensive He's right as a defensive minded guy, the defense doesn't get any breaks ever. Never.
Speaker 7: Yes, the pass went less than four feet into the ground, generally near an offensive player. It just didn't feel like a pass in the definition of the word pass. And also it was clearly grounding and that couldn't be reviewed and called. But it didn't feel like a pass. It felt like a defensive caused turnover.
Speaker 2: But if Maholmes makes that same kind of move, we say the following, Wow, that's Adam. Who else could do that in this league?
Speaker 6: Patrick Maholmes, I mean, I mean this this guy unbelievable or was so smart?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is that your Tony Romo? Let's go to Tony. Tony, what did you think of that play.
Speaker 8: Let's a.
Speaker 2: I fee look at this guy. Oh how great is he?
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, but Mahomes, he's completed in a pass like that.
Speaker 2: You're right, Matthew.
Speaker 5: Stafford's never even attempted to pass the ball like that. It looks like he was throwing trash away, Mahomes, that's in his arsenal. That's the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course nobody else could do it, only Patton. You've got quarterback. Nobody even things are doing that. Yes, Todd, I need.
Speaker 5: To know more about this in the area receiver thing.
Speaker 10: I think that requires more explanation.
Speaker 12: Is it totally subjective? Or he's two yards away, he's four yards away.
Speaker 5: He's half facing the quarterback.
Speaker 9: What's in the area.
Speaker 2: It Once again, it felt like it was an incorrect call, but I guess by the book it was the correct call. And even Stafford as he's on the ground, he's like pointing towards Nope, it's our it's our ball, our ball. And that was a big play. I don't know if it changes the game, but at least it would have tied the game.
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 2: Time to play a quick NFL quiz and then we'll play the Sam Darnold game if we have time this hour. All right, PAULI the quick NFL quiz you mentioned Matthew Stafford. Matthew Stafford's having a great career, won a Super Bowl. He's only been nominated to two Pro Bowls, two Pro Bowl nominations.
Speaker 7: Right, it's fair to say he may not get another two Pro Bowls from Matt Stafford. Is it also fair to say he's going to the Hall of Fame someday?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: I think most people lean that way.
Speaker 2: Okay, the fewest Pro Bowl appearances for a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Speaker 7: That's no for a Hall of Famer, the person in the Hall of Fame currently in the NFL Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you should do Hall of Fame quarterbacks. I have that as well.
Speaker 7: We can go quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Judge them, Yeah, we judge them differently.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's do quarterbacks first.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is the fewest number of Pro Bowl nominations for a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Speaker 7: The number is three Pro Bowls, which will be Matt Stafford.
Speaker 2: Take that record, Okay, Okay, you got to give us new school old school old school and say nineteen prior to nineteen eighty or after nineteen eighty.
Speaker 7: A little of both. That's a big hands.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, Marvin whoa Marvin's got his hand up? Yes, Dan Fouts, No.
Speaker 7: But you're close.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 7: He's in the wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 7: Here's the hint. All the players on this list are boosted by their postseasons and Super Bowl performances.
Speaker 2: Okay, boosted.
Speaker 6: Troy Aikman now three Pro Bowls, this player, Todd, You got a quarterback Eli Manning Elia, but he's not a Hall of Famer yet, right seatan They have to be a Hall of Famer already, Yes, I believe, Yes.
Speaker 2: That doesn't Aaron Rodgers doesn't.
Speaker 7: No, okay ready, h Warren Moon, No, more seventies than eighties, but seventies and eighties guy.
Speaker 2: More seventies than eighties.
Speaker 7: Bob Greasy, Terry Bradshaw three Pro Bowls, four Super Bowls, Hall of Famer bonus coverage.
Speaker 2: The fewest fewest.
Speaker 7: Pro Bowl appearances by a future Hall of Famer, it's one. The hint is running back seventies, e seventies, more eighties than seventies. One big super Bowl for this guy, John Regan. John Reagan's is correct. One Pro Bowl? Yeah, who else is on that list? These are all guys who benefited from a Super Bowl, two Pro Bowls. Jimbo Kover, Steve McMichael eighty five bears a lot of fall out there, Art Monk, Drew Pearson, John Stalworth, Lynn Swann, Terrell Davis all three Pro Bowls.
Speaker 2: Mark Sanchez a Pro Bowl player, checking Hill join us coming up next hour, Final hour in this Tuesday, right after this