Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Dapic. Your podcast Goodborning is Wednesday, the fifth of August. I'm Caroline Hepka in London.
Speaker 1: And I'm Stephen Caroline Brussels. Coming up today. Building the Future Isn't cheap. SpaceX's AI splurge puts a dampner on its first set of earnings since going public.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg lands that former European and Russian officials have held secret talks on the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Plus why nuclear plants in Romania and Hungary may need to be shut down because there's not enough water in the Danube River to cool them.
Speaker 2: Let's start with a round up of our top stories.
Speaker 1: SpaceX shares fell over seven percent and after ours, US trading has higher AI spending overshadowed better than expected quarterly results. Revenue beat estimates at seven point eight billion dollars, while the company posted eight smaller than expected loss. However, capital spending sword as Elon Musk pushes ahead with his AI and space ambitions. Bloomberg Tex' Ed Ludlow has the details.
Speaker 3: SpaceX spent a staggering eighteen point four billion dollars in the quarter and the vast majority of that eighty six percent was on AI infrastructure. But renting out compute capacity or computing power to companies like Google and Thropic is becoming a major business, and they gave lots of evidence of that. Second, like where is the growth? SpaceX said they will hit one hundred billion dollars in annual revenue run er EATE by the end of this year, and Musk even went a step further saying they have line of sight like complete confidence that SpaceX will hit one trillion dollars of real revenue in twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: Ed Ludlow says SpaceX's results kappa roller coaster rides. Since the company's records stock market debut in June, post IPO, volatility has wiped more than one trillion dollars from SpaceX's market value, ending elon Musk's brief run as the world's first trillionaire.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, AMD shares plunged almost nine ten percent in late trading after the chip maker's sales outlook failed to match investors lofty expectations. The company says it expects third quarter revenue of about thirteen billion dollars with AI valuations so high. Our Market's reporter Anthony Stephens says that even great results are no longer good enough.
Speaker 4: Some of the stock based reaction has to be put into context with the year to date performance of that stock. That stock is up triple digits, so it's up aroun one hundred and forty percent year to date. It's on eight percent replacement. When the earnings fail to clear the best estimates is kind of understandable.
Speaker 2: Anthony Stephens on AMD's results, which come just weeks after COEO Lisa Sue unveiled a new AI chip that the company believes will outperform and videos.
Speaker 1: Recent tests on AI technology have revealed some parts carried out unsanctioned actions. According to a UK government organization. The findings have led to calls for more oversight and rigorous safety training of the technology. The Blue Work's tawa at A Bio has more AI.
Speaker 5: Models developed by OpenAI and Anthropic engaged in potentially harmful activity, including creating fake identities and writing malicious code. That's according to the UK's AI Security Institute, which shared the conclusions from its latest evaluation earlier this week. During testing, the institute intentionally allowed the model's Internet access and used them without certain safety filters to test their capabilities. In a post on social media, the body said the results are the first time they have seen the risks around autonomy and deception manifest so clearly in the real world. The news comes as Bloomberg understands the White House has told top USAI companies that Chinese open weight models won't be subject to testing under the government's new safety framework. In London, ta At a bio Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Hopes are arising that the US in Iran could be close to an interim agreement to reopen the Strait of Homer's. President Trump told reporters that talks are moving along very nicely, adding will know in forty eight hours, and speaking to Fox News in a separate interview recorded earlier on Tuesday, the US President had this to say on the talks.
Speaker 6: The strait's going to be opened very soon, or they're going to get hit very hard, and then the street's going to be open. And we were going to a tremendous attack, the biggest since World War Two. And they called me and said, very politely, please can we talk? Can we talk that in one And I said, yes, we could talk. Let's get it done. Finally, let's get it done.
Speaker 2: The US president there, speaking to Fox News as Axios reports that the US, Yron, and Oman could announce a temporary agreement as soon as today. The proposal would reopen shipping through the strategic Waterway under a sixty day arrangement, but US and Katari officials cautioned there's still no agreement despite growing optimism, and while a short term deal could help normalize commercial ship in the Strait, it might still fail to end the war or resolve President Trump's concerns about Iran's nuclear program.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg has learned that former senior officials from Russia, the UK, France, and Germany privately met in Vienna to explore ways to end the war in Ukraine. Are reporting on The gathering comes as Europe's three biggest powers have been working on ways to establish direct contact with the Kremlin. Bloomberg Exchanmes Wilcock has more.
Speaker 7: It's not unknown for former officials to engage in informal diplomatic talks at arm's lengths from their governments. These so called Track two meetings aimed to exchange ideas that might later feedback into government channels. Now all four countries either declined to comment or told Bloomberg they were not aware of those discussions between some of their seasoned diplomats and former national security officials which happened last month in Vienna. But the news of the meeting comes as Europe tries to take a big role in discussions with Russia, which so far have been dominated by the US. In London, walk Gradient.
Speaker 1: And just one of the new story of note, the UK's Foreign Secretary at Miliban travels to Washington, d C. Today for the first time since taking office. Miliband and the US Secretary of State Marco Rubi are expected to discuss reopening the Strait of Hormuz and Ukraine. The latest polling shows at Miliband's Labor Party is riding a wave of optimism under new leader Andy Burnham. The left wing party has overtaken Niger Faraja's Reform UK for the first time in a year, according to the pollster JL Partners.
Speaker 2: And those are our top stories for you this morning. Now, in terms of the stocks that we're looking at today, Asian equities are climbing. They are now at their highest levels that we've seen in about a month. So the Cosby this morning is up by four point five percent. The MSCIAS PACIFICI Index up by two point one percent. Remember yesterday European and US stocks clothes at record high. It's the stock six hundred actually adding seven tenths of one percent of the clothes. With the mining rally and very positive earnings. The oil this morning retreating half of one percent. The seventy eight dollars ninety three now for breakthrough futures as the dollars also dropped on this optimism over an interim US deal. And then watching also bond markets, especially on the long end of the curve given recent run ups. Looking at that thirty year long bond in the US with down almost two basis points this morning at five sixteen. Those are the markets now.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll bring you more on what we learned from SpaceX's first quarterly results as a public company, plus how the drop on the level of the Danube River is posing a high risk to economies in central and southeastern Europe. The first a word on another story that we've been reading this morning are new ways to cool down as temperatures rise. Yue Jisebe has been writing about a new kind of innovation from Japan, a sort of fridge for humans. The dough Heimen box is about the size of a phone box if you're also remember what those are. It has a glass door and a seat inside, and it's cold, most importantly, are in fifteen degrees and blows jets of five degrees air when someone sits down inside it. Now it's designed to offer quick relief from potential heat exhaustion or heat stroke in places where our conditioning might not be available, think construction sites are particularly crowded venues. The company actually sent them to evacuation shelters after last week's earthquake in Japan. Now they sell for around nine five hundred dollars. They could be plugged in like any appliance. But this is another example of how places like Japan are dealing with hotter and more humid summers as well. I mean it's it's I don't think it's a sort of a pleasant place to spend time so much as perhaps something it's becoming a little bit more essential in these extreme temperatures. But it is a solution, if a slightly odd one to look at.
Speaker 2: It is a bit funny to look cat, mind you I've seen heat cabins like that kind of sauna. So this is like the opposite soy to cool you down. I mean, yes, I can understand why, especially as you say, in places where they might not be ac and you know a lot of con who's worried about heat related death in Japan and South Korea going through this very very hot phase. I mean, even making headlines here in Europe was the fact that in the Tokyo Zoo the heat seems to have killed three lions, and so it's humans and animals that is suffering here. And there are also, interestingly in Japan apparently tighter regulations that are coming into force to try to keep people cool. I mean that's a conversation only just beginning in Europe.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, and perhaps theres some lessons to be learned as well as to how countries like Japan are dealing with the changing climate. There to really interesting read about this particular innovation, will but link to it in our podcast show notes. Well, that's bringing more details now on the results from SpaceX. One of the key stories on markets shares tumbling over seven percent and after ours trading, our aerospace reporter Lina Rashdan joins us now from Mora Lean. Good morning, investors, focusing on the AI capital expenditure numbers from SpaceX. What didn't they like?
Speaker 8: The stock is already under pressure, it's fallen below its IPO price, and that always kind of bursts the bubble that bankers and the company has built around, you know, the appetite for the shares. We also have about one hundred billion ensures that are about to be eligible to sell, so you can see where like investors were looking to the earnings, and a main focus was the expenses around the business, because that's a huge part of the company and because of how capital intensive that division is. So it almost doubled the figure to the figure for those expenses doubled to fifteen point eight billion, and that's a few billion more than analysts expected. And the company also said that these expenses will continue in the third and fourth quarter. So investors didn't react well to those figures.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then in terms of the underlying business performance, because this is the other unusual thing about SpaceX, I mean, these huge lofty ambitions based on things that are yet to come in the future. And then actually the nuts and bolts of what is making money?
Speaker 8: They accompanied it. Overall, well, the Bea revenue estimates, the loss per share came in at nine unless had expected twenty four, So overall those numbers were good. Then we have the Startling subscriptions, which fell slightly below endless estimates, and that's the only profitable part of the business. But on the other hand, we have some of the executives that kind of touted the new market that the company Startling could enter, and that's for mobile services. So they said they could compete with AT and T and Verizon and they could unlock revenue that could be hundreds of billions a year. So that kind of gave investors more hope. That kind of cleared a path for that business for consumer Wife to be a consumer wireless operator, which we didn't really have before.
Speaker 1: We also heard, of course, may a lot of mosk on the earnings call as well. Stood out from his comments.
Speaker 8: Well, we couldn't really predict what Mosco was going to be saying going into this, but we knew he'd make some bold predictions. He said that he expected annual run rate revenue to reach one hundred billion by year end. Bloomberg Analystslice pulled by Bloomberg expected thirty eight point six billions, so you can see that kind of huge divide, but he seemed very confident of the number. He said that that was in a question mark that they were going to achieve that number. They basically, he said, they basically could do nothing and reach that figure. He also pulled forward the figure for reaching one trillion in revenue by twenty thirty, that's a year ahead of schedule. He even said they could achieve it by twenty twenty nine. Anless asked him about Starship, which kind of encapsulates Musque's big plans for space, for sending people, for also startling to be able to get more satellites up there, and he said the decadence of flights would increase rapidly. He said the heat shield, which was a concern for some investors on the rocket, that it's looking very robust. So that also kind of is some concerns. Is confidence in Starship and in reaching that revenue. He also touted this the larger V three satellites that could be a huge revenue generator for Starlink, and he said that that should be coming very soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, pretty interesting, Lene, Thank you so much then for giving us the assessment then from investment perspective, from the analysis of what Mosque had to say. That is our aerospace report at lean al lush Dan.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Daybacube coming up after this.
Speaker 1: The record low levels and the Danube River disrupting shipping and crucial power generation along its route in central and southeastern Europe. In Romania works a rounder way to increase the water level by a few cents meters to maintain electricity supplies. Our prigrilor chief Andreade it joins us now for more on this story. Andre You've been reporting with colleagues from across the region on how this is affecting economies. How widespread is the disruption from this hot weather which is pushed water levels in the Danube to such lows.
Speaker 9: The situation is quite dire and widespread and expected to get worse in the coming days. It's impacting trade, disrupting tourist cruises and also power generation, which is key in countries such as Romania and Hungary where the Danube River is used to cool off the country's nuclear power plants, and some of the units have to be shut down, and authorities are trying to do everything to avoid a full shutdown because these nuclear power plants are key for power generation in these countries.
Speaker 2: So what is being done then in response to the situation.
Speaker 9: Well, in some countries, authorities are just waiting for rain to come and there's and we're inside. But a lot of activity has been happening in Romania. On Monday, authorities there used four hundred pounds of explosives to blast a rock formation in the river to divert some of the river flow towards towards the nuclear plant. Yesterday, dozens of workers we're using heavy machinery machinery to break up these rocks and load them onto barges that are expected to be sunk into the river today to divert more water toward the water toward the nuclear plant to avoid a full shutdown. All of this is happening at extreme temperatures. Yesterday in the area of Romania, temperatures reached around forty one degree celsius, so really difficult conditions and there's no relief insight of rain coming in for the rest of the week.
Speaker 1: What sort of broader economic damage is this causing? Andrea, Because we're talking about a river that are course serves a multitude of functions for shipping. But you know, this effect on power supply is something that has a really significant effect, right.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's the second longest river in Europe that flows through ten countries. So, and this situation has been lasting for days now, so it's very hard to estimate economic impact. By what we've seen so far. Authorities in Romania, Hungary, Slovakia are actually asking citizens to lower power consumption, companies to voluntary decrease their power consumption, so some of them have already done so. Carmakers in Romania and Hungary have cut down on production or shut down some production. So we're seeing is and this is happening. It's sort of a worse time, especially for Romania, which has been dealing with high deficits and inflation and has an interium government in place after months of political instability. So it's to be seen that this is not a good time for some of these economies to be dealing with such natural problems.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 1: And if one podcast today isn't enough for you, you can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app
Speaker 2: Or if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio.