Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Joining us.
Speaker 3: Nancyl is our chief global economist, Hyper Sandler. You killed it in July about we can't get private enterprise to employ people. Has the song changed in the last six months?
Speaker 4: Near term?
Speaker 5: No, employment's going to be on the week side. Companies are still really focused on their profit margins, but employments a lagging indicator quite quite frankly, the government did crowd out employment earlier over the past couple of years, the healthcare industry crowded out the private center education, so we're kind of.
Speaker 4: Unwhining that right now.
Speaker 5: So that's also a headwind along with the private sector still a little bit focused on protecting their profit margins.
Speaker 2: When do we get.
Speaker 3: Back to job formation that doesn't involve healthcare workers and bartenders.
Speaker 5: Probably in mid twenty mid twenty twenty six. You're seeing green shoots for the labor markets. You have profits improving across the board, both s and p. Five hundred s and P. Six hundred Russell two thousand, So you're getting the breadth of now profits companies are willing to spend. They always first spend on technology to further improve their productivity and their profitability. And then you get employment. Employment is a lagging indicator, so you're setting the stage for employment as you move into the second third quarter of twenty twenty six, and you are getting some indications that it is incrementally improving. Small businesses have stopped firing, which is again the first step in getting job job hiring. As we go through twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: We've had a little bit of hindsight here, Nancy with tears.
Speaker 4: What happened with tears?
Speaker 6: How did they kind of impact the economy?
Speaker 7: How are they?
Speaker 6: How are they impacting the economy?
Speaker 5: So first they are attacks. Tariffs are attacks. How much as a share of a share of GDP you're about over ten percent as a hit, up from two percent at the beginning of the year, And it's really a regressive tax on that lower end consumer, on smaller on smaller businesses. There have been some offsets where some durable good prices have gone up, other service prices have gone down. Some food prices have gone down, but net they have kept inflation. They have kept inflation sticky, sticky, sticky this.
Speaker 6: Year going forward here, I mean, I'm looking at some of the early retail sales we got from Black Friday, Cyber Monday, whatever it's called, and so on. Seems like the consumer is still okay out there.
Speaker 2: How do you view the consumer?
Speaker 5: So a consumer out of a slump, consumer spending always turns up. I went back and looked at all cycles since nineteen sixty. Consumer spending always turns up before jobs turn up. Why they're highly sticklical. Interests are down, banks are willing to make loans, they're refinancing their credit card debt, they're using helock, going from something over twenty percent to something less than less than ten percent. So it's not jobs that actually drive consumer spending. It's it's the FED. And then as you go into twenty twenty six, we're going to get a big booster shot to disposable income from these tax from these tax refunds.
Speaker 3: Nancy Lazar, where this folks across the nation, We welcome all of you finishing out the year. Are we drowning in outlooks? Sam row has like forty seven outlooks to read. Just today he's in charge of reading outlooks. We listen to Sam row Ro look for him on substack as well. But when Nancy Lazar, we have someone steeped in the linkage here of a nation's history into our economy. I look at ken Burns's magisterial American Revolution. There's a little bit of grievance there which they highlight versus just simply you know, Philadelphia against the King is a little more complicated than that. The Element Trust Barometer this year the high level of grievance towards government, business and the rich. And it's his daily carrievance in agony within the news media. You fought that for decades. Yeah, is it morning in America and we just don't know it. Oh.
Speaker 5: I think that's been unfolding for fifteen years. We've called it the US manufacturing Renaissance started back in twenty ten Middle America as our favorite emerging market.
Speaker 4: You're seeing it certainly.
Speaker 5: Within unemployment rates around individual states that are more business are more business friendly. So in current policies certainly are going to reinforce bringing back blue collar jobs to the United States. And so we're quite excited.
Speaker 4: At first.
Speaker 5: The private sector started back in twenty ten, the corporate tax cut in seventeen reinforced it, and now full capex appreciation is going as another major booster shot for the kind of reindustrialization of the of the United States, which is a necessary backbone for every economy. I worry about Germany Europe in general by allowing I need to come in and dump cars. You need a diverse source of jobs because we have a diverse labor force and we need a big, big consumers need to have a choice of what kind of job. Not every wants to go to college. Nothing wrong with blue collar jobs, nothing wrong with getting.
Speaker 3: Out of nothing wrong with blue collar jobs. Paul missus Keenan sists, we're hanging wallpaper. Have you priced out wallpaper hangers?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, there's physicians. It mounts cinide.
Speaker 4: Don't make that Sis's up.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, is the give us a sense of kind of the labor market here, because we it seems solid. The unemployment rate, the headline number that we all look at seems fine, seems kind of full employment ish.
Speaker 4: Is it as strong as it looks?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Under the hood.
Speaker 5: You have had some significant layof announcements here in the fourth quarter, and so there is a chance that the unemployment rate does grind higher as we go into the first part of twenty twenty. Twenty twenty six, maybe around five sent some of the leading indicator's point to about five percent, But that's historically, as you just said, still not high, and the labor market is a lagging indicator, and as we go through twenty six, I think it is incremently going to start to heal.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it. I'm looking.
Speaker 3: Paul taught me this screen to Wi screens, s and P up sixteen percent year to date, nasdak full nastack up twenty one percent year to date. I'm going to suggest, Nancy, that's on the back of a sprightly nominal GDP.
Speaker 2: I see all sorts of opinions our government shutdown.
Speaker 3: I get that, But do you just assume we can sustain four percent plus nominal GDP and at least okay real GDP.
Speaker 5: Oh I think to be sure, policy is very supportive of growth, and our corporate backbone is very very healthy from a productivity perspective. So combination of the FED cutting rates one hundred and fifty basis points over the past over a year now, banks easing lending standards, very productive fiscal policy, not government spending, but tax and centers for the private sector to invest, tax refunds for the consumer. I think four percent is actually probably on the low side, could be stronger than that.
Speaker 6: Corporate earnings they seem to be pretty good. I mean the third quarter numbers, the low double digits. Second quarter was strong, and.
Speaker 2: Now it's off for cliffs. Yes, terrible, exactly. I have no idea where we'll be in January exactly.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, what's happened with the corporate profit backdrop. It's definitely broadening out, which is what we needed. It was led by you know, the mag seven or eight or nine or whatever. And now it's into the smaller cap space, which is crucial because that's where the jobs are created. And so again with that healing. In with with that healing in small cap earnings, you are setting the stage for a healthier labor market as you go into twenty three.
Speaker 3: The way we rolled this morning at the nine o'clock hour, Michael Green will be with us. His sub stack on the poverty line created a firestorm across the nation.
Speaker 2: Michael Green will join.
Speaker 3: Us for first extended comments on this, and we start here with Nancy Lazar of a Piper Sandler as well. Michael Green says, a poverty line, you know, it's constructed, it's a formula and all that. But there's a lot of Americans struggling at a higher income level than the poverty line.
Speaker 2: Do you buy it.
Speaker 5: I'm not that school on his analysis. I think that's probably a little bit of an exaggeration. I grew up in Middle America. The cost of living there is a lot lower than it is in the East Coast.
Speaker 2: He based it on cool Paul helped me Caudwell, New Jersey.
Speaker 5: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah, I would agree that the low end consumer has been squeezed. I think that's going to change as we go into how is it going to change that you are going to see a broader and broader footprint of industries hiring, making it possible for people with many different skills actually to get a job.
Speaker 2: She's too optimistic to be in the show, Paul, do something exactly given that back job, Nancy.
Speaker 6: I guess we're going to hear from our fed next week a week from today and presumably the market's discounting a rate cut. How aggressive does a FED need to be in cutting race?
Speaker 4: Do you think?
Speaker 5: I don't think they need to be aggressive. They probably will continue to to cut given the sluggishness in the labor market. They classically even when the economy picks up again. I went back and looked at all cycles. Even when the economy picks up, the FED tends to continue to cut rates because they are focused on the labor market, and the labor market is a lagging is a lagging indicator. I'd be careful in cutting too aggressively, because you do. They've already cut one hundred and fifty basis points, and you have this fiscal sport.
Speaker 3: Years ago it was Hymen Lazarre. Everybody thought Hymen could be chairman. Everybody thought Lazarre could be chairman. Let's take that perspective. If you look at Nancy Lazar, now.
Speaker 2: Are you threat? Is there a threat to FED independence?
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: I think the bond vigilani is going to make sure of that. We saw the bond chairman.
Speaker 2: Hasse it's going to be told what to do by the bond market.
Speaker 5: I think so. I think last year we It's something that happened often in the sixties and seventies. It happened last fall when the FED cut too aggressively when inflation was still too was still too still too sticky. So yes, I think the bond market will be that vigilanti.
Speaker 6: So what's the opportunity here for We're talking about a lot of this reshoring and the growth of manufacturing in the US. Is that going to fundamentally change our economy in any way shape for big time?
Speaker 4: I mean, how is it?
Speaker 5: It's again, you need labor force participation to continue to increase, and the only way you do that is through offering a broader footprint of industries hiring. With this on shoing, you also have a huge job multiplier. It's not just people complain to me, well, not many people work in factories today. It's like I know that I grew up in that environment. It's changed dramatically over the decades. At the end of the day, though, it's the multiplier supporting these these these these factories, smaller businesses, restaurants, grocery stores.
Speaker 3: Right, the industry we're guilty of this, Lisa is the only one who's not. We're based on the three zip codes in Manhattan. Lisa has a much broader perspective than that. Piper will always in forever be the right northwest. It will be Minneapolis as well. What are the fancy people in New York City and Washington not get about business formation north of the Mayo Clinic.
Speaker 4: That you do need.
Speaker 5: I'm being very redundant here, and I and I and I apologize.
Speaker 2: We like that it's so retired.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's that you you do need a diverse set of jobs. You don't need to go to college. I was tickled Pallunteer announced that they are hired a bunch of high school kids to to to to you know, check out the work, the work of the work ethic and do you want to go to college or do you want to stay dose?
Speaker 2: AI help the kids that go. I just don't want to take Shakespeare in one O two. AI help those kids.
Speaker 5: Technological innovation has always made education better, from you know, using my Bomar brain to eventually going to to Excel, et cetera. So absolutely, technological innovation is great for kids as long as it's properly used.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 6: So going forward here, I'm thinking about kind of where we need to go here. I mean, it seems like this economy is in pretty good shape. Is that your consensus? I mean, I know there's some crosswinds and headwinds out there, but I mean I'm seeing growth out there. I'm seeing and instrates coming down. I'm seeing corporate profits pretty darn steady. It seems like it's a pretty solid position.
Speaker 5: I've been listening to people talk about the dollar and how the dollar is going to go down, and I just tend to disagree with that. I mean, I think your growth will be okay in twenty twenty in twenty twenty six because of the stimulus that they've put in place, both monetary and physical. But if we can get to one and a half percent, that's good news.
Speaker 2: We got you here. We've got a breaking headline.
Speaker 3: This was made for Nancy Lazar Automatic data Processing.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows that's like Minnesota May mining and manufacturing. Thanks right, Automatic Data Processing. US.
Speaker 3: November private employment falls thirty two thousand.
Speaker 2: The estimate was plus ten thousand.
Speaker 3: What happens emotionally when we go over four point five percent unemployment rate?
Speaker 2: Is that critical? Or do I need to get to five point zero?
Speaker 5: I think five percent is worth. I think I give you earlier that you know something with a fore handle is still pretty on the tame side. But we do think you could move above above five as you go into early twenty early twenty twenty six. But again that is a lagging indicator. It's not going to change our outlook where we think growth is going to reaccelerate. We're two percent GDP growth this year with all the headmans that we had, the shutdown the tariffs. Next year it's going to be stronger than that given all the stimulus.
Speaker 3: Is I said in my intro, like I don't remember who was on the show two hours ago. Lisa has to remind me. I certainly don't remember who was on the show three days ago. I remember Crystal Clear with the Sun coming through in July when Nancy Lazaar talked to us about the American labor Absolute true, truly Nancy one of the great insights of Bloomberg Surveillance this year.
Speaker 2: She is a Piper Sandler.
Speaker 3: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten Am Eastern, Listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Joining us now, Michael Green, pinata a c management. How the hell are you?
Speaker 7: I definitely have taken a few waks with the baseball at this.
Speaker 2: Point, I'm going to defend you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it. There's people Michael Green's an idiot. How dare you think one hundred and forty thousand is a poverty line? You say, up front, it's where you live. And you go and Paul, you know this better than me. You go to Caldwell, New Jersey, near Cedar Grove, just south of Little Falls Township and say, I'm sorry, the poverty line in Cardwell, New Jersey is not the way it is eighty miles south of Louisville.
Speaker 8: Discuss Yeah, this really is the underlying story. First, there are multiple poverty lines right across the country. In a high cost region, you're going to have a very different experience than if you live in a low cost region. But the overall point was when you start thinking about what we define as the poverty line currently at about thirty one two hundred dollars for a family for two earners two children. That doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the needs of a family that is living in a place like called Well, New Jersey, where the calculation works out to about one hundred and thirty six thousand, five hundred dollars needs to be made before you can even start saving a dime. Wow, that's an extraordinary feeling of percarity when we talk about the dynamic that most American households can't afford something to break, can't afford an emergency expense, et cetera.
Speaker 7: That's why.
Speaker 6: So who sets the poverty line? Again, it's around thirty two thousand nationally in the US. Who sets up poverty line? And how does that impact policies and support group levels and policies?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think this is one of the really critical things that keeps coming out. Right, many people will point out that poverty lines are arbitrary. Right, we can define twenty percent of the population as or its, et cetera. It really doesn't matter where it is unless it affects policy. And that number, which is maintained by the Department of Health and Human Services, is updated by the CPI from the BLS is used to define the point at which we begin withdrawing benefits for many types of activities, things like housing, things like healthcare, things.
Speaker 7: Like food support.
Speaker 8: That creates a value that I call the value of death, but more accurately is described as the benefit cliff. Once you start passing those thresholds of earnings, the government starts taking away the benefits and it actually leaves you in a position where between about forty thousand and one hundred thousand dollars, largely on a nationwide basis, you find yourself with marginal tax rates that can exceed one hundred percent in some situations.
Speaker 6: So what are some of the areas where maybe the government numbers aren't correctly calculating the true cost of what it means to live in? It is it housing? It is it childcare?
Speaker 8: It's a healthcare No, It's the crazy part is it's all of those things.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: So, the simple reality is that the CPI is devised by the BLS. You are not going to find me in here arguing conspiracy in an attempt to suppress it, et cetera. But it's used to define certain types of price changes. The CPI that we quote for policy purposes is the CPI Urban wage journers. This is what you would expect to experience if you are buying a representative basket across all of the workers in the United States, high mm, low income, et cetera. People who are at the poverty line or near the poverty line don't have the same choices that you and I have when they make purchases. They don't get to decide, hey, I'm going to wait until tires go on sale. Nor are they benefiting from gosh, the air conditioner that I had thirty years ago suddenly costs a lot less or works much more efficiently.
Speaker 7: In most situations, they.
Speaker 8: Aren't even evaluating do I buy an air conditioner? And so a really simple example of this is in housing, we incorporate features like air conditioning through a quality metric, a hedonic adjustment that basically says, look, I understand that the apartment went from one thousand dollars to eleven hundred dollars, but because they installed air conditioning for you, right, it's really only one thousand dollars you actually had under.
Speaker 3: Granite slabs in the kitchen as well. Part one, My life is a lie. How I've broken benchmark quietly broke America a sub stack which lit on fire across thinking America Michael Green where this was simplify asset. We'll get to his view on the view four to twenty six, but this is too important discussion. My basic take off your good work, the critics of your work, the supporters of your work, is the poor get to a point, as you stated moments ago, where things are taken away from them and they have almost a discentive to work. We talked to Hugh von steinis this sounds like United Kingdom? One oh one? What does a mayor mam Dami do? What does the next president, Republican or Democrat do to incentifize people besides taking government programs away?
Speaker 8: Well, in the most most extreme version of this right, they are actually solving for what people are saying, which is I'm not being listened to. So when Domi addresses affordability and says people are struggling, they recognize that he's telling the truth. His solutions would not be my solutions. And that's part of my frustration with the rights perspective, or the conservative component of this. If we're putting people in a position which they're forced to turn to somebody who is listening to them and offering bad solutions. We can sit there, you know, and be uptight and basically say, well, they're choosing socialism, we'll show them right, they're going to have the worst possible outcome. Or we can recognize that we're facing conditions that look an awful lot like the French Revolution, in which we're basically saying, well, they can always eat cake. Right, that's absurd, That's not what we want to do. We need to actually engage the national discussion before we hit rock bottom so we can make the relatively easy and painless choices to reform the system, improve the outcomes, improve the incentives, and I'm sorry to reverse those, improve the incentives, and then improve the outcomes so that people are able to make the choices that allow them to pursue happiness.
Speaker 6: Where I mean, like the poverty I'm learning so much about this and it didn't even think about it quite frankly, but the poverty line was created by the Social Security Administration in nineteen sixty three, adopted in the next year by the White House, and the person who created it set the threshold at three times the minimum adequate food budget. Yeah, that makes sense, it seems simple, but it kind of makes sense. But the world's changed since then, and so that is not a good predictor anymore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's radically changed.
Speaker 8: So, I mean the reason that the three times was chosen was not because of the thirty two percent of the thirty three percent, but because that was a way of scaling up and capturing the entire budget. Okay, Right, So they were basically saying, look, if you're spending a third on food, you're likely spending a third on housing, and you're likely spending a third on the other necessities of life telephone, transportation, et cetera. Unfortunately, what has happened is we froze that, and as I described before, sei doesn't meaningfully capture the underlying cash increase that's actually happening. So really, what that line is moved to the point of which it is just basically describing starvation, right, It's not doesn't actually mean anything anymore.
Speaker 2: Michael Green.
Speaker 3: With this year, we do have breaking news, and the markets have moved on it. This is a small startup company named Microsoft. Microsoft lowers AI software sales quotas stock down two percent, the market was up, futures up twenty and markets were up twenty and SMP down minus nineteen as well.
Speaker 2: That sources the information. We thank them for that. Microsoft lowers AI software sales quotas and it moves the market.
Speaker 3: Let's say a little bit more on this micro green and then we've got to look to simplify usset management. In the View for twenty twenty six, do you parse a distinction between Republican and Democrats solutions to half of America flat on their back?
Speaker 7: You know the challenges.
Speaker 8: I don't think either party is actually coming up with good solutions. Instead, they both appear to be in pursuit of power to basically prosecute their individual agendas. I would really love to say that there is a meaningful distinguishing characteristic largely on the right as we should cut benefits further, and on the left as we should expand them willingly. Right, that's part of the reason for the vitriol is is that both sides effectively see this is either stealing ammunition from a focus on the poor or on the right basically creating the ammunition that could be used to meaningfully expand benefits. In a culture of dependency, we.
Speaker 2: Go to surveillance.
Speaker 3: Childcare correspondent Lisa Matteo the last echo I heard through the kitchen was empty the dishwasher as well, Lisa. The heart of this within the list of Michael Green, within his sub stack, what I hear from people, I don't care what they're making childcare out of COVID.
Speaker 2: There's no other.
Speaker 9: Issue, Oh definitely. I mean a lot of people, I know, because because they can't afford, they think it's better for them to be able to just stay home and take care of the kids and that.
Speaker 2: And I'm surprised.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised of all the benefit packages out there that companies Corporate America offer their employees, whether it's healthcare or wellness or all this other there isn't a childcare offering. I'm just you know, I don't see that talked about enough. Yes, well, Matt Miller came back from Germany to come back here to Bloomberg and New York. That was the first thing that jumped out.
Speaker 3: Now, the first thing did was by bitcoin five thousand dollars lost his tope. Michael Green with us here and we're gonna move on. But are you going to write a sequel to this substance? I mean, we're publishing today.
Speaker 8: Can we make it enough the movie, right, I'm trying to write this as a weekly series. The third part, with some superposed solutions, comes out this week, and at that point I'm sure I will kiss everybody off to the except my name again, Michael Green.
Speaker 2: My life is a live part. No one there. It is a sub sketch.
Speaker 3: It's only eight hundred dollars a year for I'm kidding, it's extremely reasonable accessibilities. Some of the best minds out there. Paul Krugman's out there, Adam Toos, Michael Green is well, what is the simplify asset view to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 8: Look, we are always somewhat cautious. Most of our portfolio is focused around fixed income. We recognize that the growing need for most households is income and that tends to represent the focus in our portfolio. I'm very concerned about the rising risks in the credit space. In particular, you highlighted a downgrade in Microsoft's AI expenditures. An incredible amount of capital investment is being driven off of the AI framework that's bleeding into the credit markets. We're seeing this with things like the deteriorating loan credit for companies like Blue Owl, et cetera. You know I'm concerned, and I've written about this. Unfortunately, in a world that's dominated by passive investing, the market is largely responding to flows that are coming in from people who are employees. That means that the market is increasingly associated with a lagging indicator. And if employment continues to weaken, as we saw with today's ADP, I would expect that ultimately begins to put pressure on the market.
Speaker 6: And the FED cutting rates. How impactful is that? Do you think?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 8: I think it can actually be somewhat impactful. And the reason why, though, is a bit confusing. If you think about portfolios like target date funds or systematically rebalancing portfolios, if the FED cuts rates, that causes bonds to rise in price. The way we're supposed to think about it is the lower interest rate is run on a discounted cash flow analysis and gives a marginally higher value for equities. But if I have a systematically rebalanced portfolio and my fifty percent weight in bonds goes up two percent, well, now I'm underweight equities and I have to buy equities sell some bonds. I think that defines the behavior that we've seen far more than anyone doing fundamental analysis at this point.
Speaker 2: That was beautifully described.
Speaker 3: Summarize again this the bond market, folks, the marginal equity purchasers sale.
Speaker 7: And the reverse.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the three by five, right, The two assets in a systematically rebalanced portfolio are tied by their price behavior.
Speaker 2: I think I get that, Yeah, Michael Green one on one, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: How are the hedge funds doing. I mean, everybody's trying to bet the market. Everybody's trying to arbitrage and get an edge. Did Financial Wall Street get an edge this year?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 8: I think it depends on how you define it, right. So many hedge funds are doing extraordinarily well, particularly those that are focused in areas that are components of arbitrage. We've seen an incredible growth of things like the treasury basis trade, which is very very similar in its underlying construction to equity index arbitrage, where you're speculating on what's going to be in the index, what's not in the index, et cetera. Those have been very fruitful areas for investment. I think the macro calls have been a lot harder this year, right, People have struggled with the direction of interest rates. At the start of the year, we were losing control. I was skeptical of that. It ended up being right. But the simple reality is we've had lots of movement in both directions with no real clear outcome yet.
Speaker 3: I've got to get your substant going. Are you gonna write on bitcoin?
Speaker 8: I have written on bitcoin. I actually want to emphasize the substack is both cheap. It is subsidized for those who buy Simplify products, and candidly, if you call me, if you send me a message over Subsack or Twitter and say I simply can't afford it, I'm more than happy to grant you.
Speaker 7: You are fully subscribed.
Speaker 2: You think that's funny over there, Miss Potato, that's good stuff.
Speaker 8: But you know that ultimately puts us into a situation where there's lots of stuff that's out there on the substack. I encourage people to read it, and I also encourage you to spend find better ways to spend your time.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about you know who did he upset the most?
Speaker 2: Bernie Sanders or I don't know, you could go either way.
Speaker 7: If I got them both mad, then I probably.
Speaker 6: Then you're do a new job, right, You changed the.
Speaker 3: Debate, cover The Washington Post Michael Green's Simplify Asset Management.
Speaker 2: To stay with us.
Speaker 3: More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: You've seen It's a magical moment.
Speaker 3: A couple of weeks ago, Dan Tannebaum with Oliver Wyman, mister von Steina says all sorts of perspective. I'm banking, but also on his United Kingdom. He has served the nation at Treasury and also with mister Carne at Bank of England, and Hugh joins us this morning. He ended the year here. I want to take a step back, and I think everyone listening in America and this morning goes, what's it going to take for Britain to recover? The Prime minister are going after Brexit? I believe yesterday and such, what is this von steinas pixie dust to get Britain to turn it around?
Speaker 10: Well, Tom thanks for having me back on. Look, I think it's a great question. I mean, I think one thing we've debated before is that since Brexit, the UK has become ever more European. In fact, as of last week we have the same tax rates as France, but with none of the benefits of being in the EU from a trading block. And maybe you know, some of the animal spirits that we so loved about the UK being a bit dampened. So look that the thesis for me would be how we can get back to be more mid atlantic.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I think there are some positives here.
Speaker 10: I think about it that we've got amazing entrepreneurs, amazing companies. In fact, we've got three of the top universities in the world and the clusters of development around them are really exciting. But we need to be mid atlantic. And so if you want to have one positive, this week the Bank of England announced it's moving in the direction of the FED and the Trump's policy, which is bank regulation is going to be refined. And actually this is probably the first mid atlantic step we've taken in the last decade. So amidst the doom and gloom about the taxes, there are some positives at least financial regulations heading in the right direction, and it.
Speaker 3: Appears McLaren rains have sent it Nabu Dhabi this week, and Lando and piastre getting it done.
Speaker 2: Maybe against Vince. It's just like the sixteenth century or something.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean it's not what's the city look like, Paul and I want and if we visit, like, what's the vibrancy of the city versus the boom in New York.
Speaker 4: Well, please come over and visit.
Speaker 10: Look, your offices in London are still in a fantastic place. In London is busy, but no Look, as I'm in New York, you know every six weeks's New York's booming. London's rolling over and there's clearly some amazing entrepreneurs, but it's just not got the same bars as New York, where there's excitement. But that said, you know, as I meet with the private market firms, they're very excited about the outlook for M and A in the UK next year. We've seen two US private market firms acquire insurers this year because they're excited by the financial deregulation allowing them to invest. So you know, around the edges there's still an awful lot of excitement, but the streets don't have the buzz of New York.
Speaker 6: Of course, talk to us about private credit here, Hugh. This is obviously a significant new market. Over the last ten to fifteen years, there's been some concerns about credit quality creeping into this part of the market. How do you see it, because you've got so much experience looking at the financial markets.
Speaker 10: Look, Paul, I think I think the thing which is misunderstood is that we've now got an asset class or a range of assets which are almost three trillin a size, and they're going to be the good, the bad, and the ugly in that area. And so if I sort of break it into let's say, you know, there's mid market finance, there's acquisition finance, and there's obviously all this investment grade private and I think it's very different rhythms in the market. So in leverage finance, of course, there are companies who borrowed before interest rates went up, probably have the wrong capital structure and maybe if they haven't had the cash flow to work through the debt, we'll need to restructure. And that's the area of real focus and tension where you're seeing, you know, the percentage of pick being paid, you know, payment in kind instead of cash. Interest has been picking up, and there's clearly going to be some restructurings or highly like to be some restrucures in that area.
Speaker 4: We flip to the other side.
Speaker 10: The biggest boomers we've discussed before has been insurers giving money to private credit to get about a one to one and a half percent pick up on what they could in the public markets. Those loans are much more around infrastructure, data centers, utilities. Now I'm not saying that there couldn't be some credit events there, but that's a very different part of economy which is booming, has huge capital needs because as you see with the data center issuance, they're having to tap the private markets as well as public markets because the need for capex is so overwhelming.
Speaker 4: So I think we've got different rhythms.
Speaker 10: I think we there are going to be some credit events, but I think in a way where we need to think about this is credit overall. This isn't This is a very diversified marketplace, and there's going to be fit. Somethings are hot and some things which quite frankly, will go it will fail.
Speaker 6: So, Hugh, we're in for twenty twenty six. What are the key themes you're looking at here? Because I mean you could step back and say, boy, generally the economies are generally pretty strong inflations there, but it's not too much of a risk. We've got most central banks cutting rates for a lot of folks, and corporate earning seem pretty solid from a lot of folks.
Speaker 4: That seems pretty constructive for risk assets.
Speaker 6: Is that your view or you're a little bit different.
Speaker 4: No, Look, I think no.
Speaker 10: I can the aeras of the market that I know well, I mean, let's say take European banks, I'm pretty constructive. Still, I don't see a big pickup in bad debts. I see the interest rate environment being conducive, but there's not much growth here. But I think the themes. Look, I've got three big themes the next year. So one is mercantilism. How will the tariff policies that invest domestically. How will mercantism not just play out in the US and China? But what happens to Europe being the piggy in the middle, do they really invest and take advantage someone like Norway with all its rare arts or will they get panicked and make some poor deals. So I think mercantilism and how that plays out, I think is really key. I think second is the whole AI data boom, the whole Capex. Does that continue to have real force because in which case that's very positive backdrop for at least banks and financial markets because that's a huge need for credit. And then the third is like kind of you know we've had is then the debate about the cycle in Europe and really will we take advantage? Is this late cycle and we're going to go into a slight slowdown or will Europe start to get it sort of mojo back together?
Speaker 4: So they're for me the three big theme for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: The claim started with European banking and penetrating analysis of income statements here von steinas with that background, your thoughts and how private credit will clear given lower valuations than expected? How is that process going to play out?
Speaker 10: So Tom, I think this goes back to this multi speed. So I think that you know, in the Capex rich insurance supported you know quite frankly boom around Capex. I think that the demand for capital is so high it's actually providing a bit of a risk premium, and that's why you're still still seeing this this extra So I think that piece of the market absent at a major shock is in really good shape. But I think around acquisition finance, those deals which were written you know, five six years ago probably over leven in terms of companies. If they haven't had that cash flow work through, then I suspect there will be some you know, they're clearly going to be some restructurings and credit events. I think what you've seen, Tom is that if you like the continuation funds, the secondary funds, the pick that the innovations that the credit markets have had have been trying to help private equity owners through a cycle where they haven't been able to sell. And so the pause, the ball case is that the pick up an M and A that you've had on the show, whether it's Morgan Stanley, JP, Morgan Goldman's are expecting if that M and A and IPO Boom picks up, that's a release alve. But if that doesn't play out, then I still think we're going to get you know, a couple of percent restructurings next year of that cohort which you know are under a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: Hugh, take that phone called Tot, Maam. They're looking for a new coach. I know they are.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 3: Von Steina is the next coach of the Tots where us. He is with Oliver Wyman there on his disunited that kingdom. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Survey on coming up after this.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty the newspaper.
Speaker 2: She's been working at it diligently since for twenty two. This morning, Lisa Mato, you got it.
Speaker 4: Let's start with this.
Speaker 9: San Francisco drivers are saying that waymos self's driving cars. Yes, are behaving like New York City taxi drivers. Oh boy, they're getting aggressive, okay, Wall Street jurn I spoke to some of them.
Speaker 4: She's seen it. Okay.
Speaker 9: So they're saying they're in the tunnel and they're changing lanes, you know. By the San Francisco yer they're making illegal U turns and then the minute the light turns green, theyy florid.
Speaker 2: I saw that. I saw that.
Speaker 3: One went by me. I'm fit the avenue. I don't get it. I get it, Austin, I get this.
Speaker 2: Help me. Lisa Loblaw won't speak to me.
Speaker 9: Well there's a reason, okay. So the Wall Street Journal spoke with their senior director of product management and they told them about this. Right, So what he said is that they're trying to make their cars confidently assertive.
Speaker 4: That's how they put it, Yes, because they used to be a little bit passive.
Speaker 9: And then when you're passive, that can, you know, become a little disruptive, you know, because if you have a car who's being nicey nice, and sometimes it can disrupt things. So they say they want them to be a little bit more confident. I used to be confright, and then yeah, and once you get used to drive, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I was confidently assertive and drove the VW Bug into a ditch. Oh gosh.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 9: But you know, with the regular drivers, like my daughter, she just started learning. She was two hands on the wheel. Now she's got like a Starbucks one hand. She's like like no, you can't get confident like that.
Speaker 2: And here we go.
Speaker 9: Okay, there's a new in demand job skill. Are you ready for it? It's being an influencer on social media?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: So companies like Starbucks, Delta Airlines, they're hiring people to be these specific positions to show how fun the company is to work for, to give different details, all with the approval of the company. However, so they're saying it's a win win for the company. So it allows the companies to show place, you know, to showcase, hey, this is a great place to work. And then it allows the workers a chance to bring their skills to a bigger audience. They get, you know, work trips, professional development training, they get to update their resume, their LinkedIn profiles, rich.
Speaker 2: Technical director.
Speaker 3: Can you see kind of fellow on TikTok No, I'm not sure, as you kill it every day.
Speaker 4: It's a big thing.
Speaker 2: It's a big thing.
Speaker 9: I'm not walking around my phone trying to detail.
Speaker 4: We'll see if that comes to it. Okay.
Speaker 9: So there's a new exclusive club okay, soho house better look out.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: It's in New York City. It's called Moss. It recently opened. It's five stories at five twenty fifth Avenue, right by forty third Street, so right in midtown. It was founded by these two sisters, and the New York Post took a tour of it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 9: So you have five fancy restaurants, all this lounge space, twenty thousand square feet of dining and social space. Here's a good thing, twenty thousand feet of wellness space.
Speaker 4: There's two floors cigar, yes if that's different word.
Speaker 6: Hally and Colleen Brooks called Moss a mix of quoting intelligent leisure and physical culture.
Speaker 4: You have it there, you have it now. The cost of it costs.
Speaker 9: The costs here it is okay, monthly dues anywhere from two eighty to seven hundred and forty five dollars, and that's on top of the initiation fee, which can run you from fifteen hundred to nearly four thousand dollars. So that's just to be a member and then to get there and to you know, pay for all your food and drink.
Speaker 4: Some knowledge.
Speaker 6: That sounds like it's just.
Speaker 9: I've been to show house and I'm like, whoom, Maybe I have to find a friend who comes over to here. But it's just another place that that people can spend their money here in New York City, all right.
Speaker 6: I mean there's the clubs everywhere. I mean the old clubs, vintage clubs that have been around for hundreds of years, and then some of the new clubs.
Speaker 2: We're coming up the concept next to your folks.
Speaker 3: Club Surveillance Lisa's living room, Lisa Mateo, thank you so much the newspapers.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 5: Hi