Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Daybake here at podcast Good morning. It's Tuesday, the fourth of August. I'm Caroline Hepka in London.
Speaker 1: And I'm Stephen Caroline Brussels. Coming up today, HSBC delivers results that reward investors faith in Europe's largest bank as it ramps up cost cutting plans.
Speaker 2: Satellite images show energy starved countries in Asia going dark as tensions over the strait of Homer's Dragon.
Speaker 1: Plus why big ai bets are dividing the business of venture capital, leaving smaller funds behind.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 1: HSBC has announced a new one billion dollars share by back after reporting second quarter earnings that beat estimates. Pre tax profit came in at ten point one billion dollars, ahead of the nine point five billion that analysts had expected. The bank also raised its cost saving target to two billion dollars by the end of this year, as CEO jojel Hedri accelerates his overhaul of Europe's largest bank through asset sales and simplifying its operations.
Speaker 3: Is what he told Bloomberg this morning.
Speaker 4: We are becoming the stronger bank that we set out to build. We're very pleased with what we announced this morning. We're growing across all our indicators, or revenue growing, or law lawns and deposits are growing, or income is growing. We generated returns of nineteen and a half percent on tangible equity, so this is you know, this is a good demonstration of a.
Speaker 5: Strong business momentum.
Speaker 4: We're also very pleased with the progress we're making on the strategy, which we're executing with precision, with discipline and at base.
Speaker 3: CEO Jel Hedri speaking there as.
Speaker 1: HSBC shares have touched record highs in recent weeks, recovering from a June slump sparked by China's crackdown on cross border capital flows.
Speaker 2: Now, the water levels in one of Europe's most important rivers are at their lowest point at one hunter in fifty years. The Rhine River's navigable depth fell to just twenty four centimeters at one key choke point yesterday. Bloomberg's energy reporter Avera Brendel says that's the lowest records began in eighteen eighty.
Speaker 6: Some memories might come up from the twenty eighteen drought and things are looking similarly difficult. But also what is important to mention is that like for example, the Rhine water level already is almost at the twenty eighteen level, but we are just at the beginning of summer. So the twenty and eighteen level. Last time that was solo happened at the end of summer, and now the summer's just getting started.
Speaker 2: Brundell As The extreme weather is also drying up other crucial European waterways, including the Danube. As well as disrupting trade, the drought is disrupting power generation and creating the conditions for massive wildfires.
Speaker 1: US President Donald Trump says Iran has a last chance to reach a deal with the United States. Tehran insists it's not negotiating directly with Washington, saying it's discussing shipping routes through the Strait of Hormoes with Oman instead. Despite President Trump's demands, Iran has given no indication it will reopen the Strait of Hormus and allow toll free transit. Trump says military action is still on the table.
Speaker 6: I want to give them every last shit before decapitation.
Speaker 3: Very tough to do what we have planned.
Speaker 5: Still planned.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: It's not clear which negotiations President Trump was referring to or who is involved. He's repeatedly backed away from threats of military escalation in favor of diplomacy, only to see those talks collapse.
Speaker 2: Well, all prices are rebounding modestly after yesterday's sharp sell lot of US investors way persident Trump's latest ultimatum to move on. More than eighty percent of the oil passing through the Strait of Hormuz is bound for Asia, where the economic impact is becoming increasingly visible. His Bloomberg's James Wilcock.
Speaker 7: A war thousands of miles away is leaving a mark on Asia that can be seen from space. Blueberg Economics's analysis of NASA satellite imagery found nearly sixty percent of the region experience of normal declines in nighttime light after the Iran conflict began. The Junes Ces fire brought that figure down to fifty four percent, but renewed disruption in the Strait up MOOS could quickly reverse that trend, especially in fuel dependent economies like Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Cambodia. That DILAN was concentrated outside major cities, suggesting high energy costs a hitting poorer rural communities the hardest. In London, James Orcock Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: The European Union will try to restore unity today at a meeting of Home Affairs ministers after Spain's migrant crisis exposed to deep divisions within the block. In a letter, a YOU commissioned president Versus Vanderline called for a collective response after roughly fifty thousand undocumented migrants swam into the Spanish enclave Theatare Madrid, says the vast majority of those who crossed illegally have now been returned. Boomberg's europe Executive outor Chad Thomas, as the issue sparked remarkably public attacks on Spain's Prime minister.
Speaker 8: There are many U countries that are on the cusp of holding elections and this is a hot button topic, and so no leader wants to be seen as the one who's not cracking down on any concerns that people might have over illegal migration. But most of these people have already returned to Morocco, and of course they never were actually on the Spanish mainland, they were in this enclave.
Speaker 1: Chad almos was speaking, has several European countries that threaten to impose border checks and even to suspend Spain's participation in the EU's Free Travel Zone. Today's meeting, Spain is expected to demand solidarity from other member states.
Speaker 2: US Treasury Secretary Scott Besson has called on the Federal Reserve to expand a facility that Japan can use to support the Yes and the Fair Repo. Facility let's foreign governments borrow dollars against their holdings of US treasuries. In a social media post, Bestin said the Treasury would encourage this facility to be upsized. Shasuki Yamada Japan effects and rate strategies that Bank of America says the move could help.
Speaker 9: One of the biggest you know, the side effects of intervention is that Japan might have to sell a large amount of US treasuries and that could destabilize the bond market in the US, which could also spill over to Japan as well. So I think, you know, this facility definitely helps, and yeah, I think Japan can probably.
Speaker 3: Do more than otherwise.
Speaker 2: Bank for America's Shisuki Yamada speaking earlier, economists say that Washington's priority is preventing high Japanese bond deals from spilling into the thirty one trillion dollar US treasury market. The coordinated move also offers a way to keep Tokyo investing in America while encouraging the Bank of Japan to keep raising interest rates.
Speaker 1: Apple is taking on the UK government. Bloomberg understands the iPhone maker is once again challenging attempts to access the data of its customers. Are reported too Out of Bio has the story.
Speaker 10: Apple has filed a fresh protest against the government's pursuit of user data stored in the cloud, according to sources close to the matter. It's the latest development in a major privacy fight, which kicked off last year when UK authorities ordered the tech giant to bypass encryption used to secure customer information. Under pressure from US President Donald Trump, the government agreed not to seek Americans data, but has continued to push for access to UK user communications. A UK government spokesperson declined to comment on the specifics of the case, but said that the country supports robust privacy protections, Whilst Apple confirmed it had filed the legal challenge in an email statement, but declined to comment. Further hearing on the challenge is scheduled full September in London.
Speaker 2: Do you added Biot Bloomberg Radio. Those are our top stories for you. Now let's look at the markets. There is tech stock divergence between the US and Asia. Mascish Pacific indexes down half of one percent. Very volatile session again for the cos B, which currently is down one percent, but big intra day swings. The S and P five hundred closed near record high. Yesterday the DAS hit a fresh record high the stock six hundred dollars to close up by four tenths of one percent, So again just shy of July's record half to a very positive European earning season, HSBC's CEO George Hedri saying he's please with progress that the business is making, so that after their earnings just this morning, the Japanese yen, after four days of gains, is slipping. Despite the intervention that we saw that did lead to gains, the Japanese yen is down two tenths and brain CREWD futures trade up one and a half percent eighty five dollars. Those in the markets.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll bring you more on those results from HSPC plus YAI is creating a divide in the venture capital world. Put another story that we've been reading this morning, cows are back in fashion, at least when it comes to your breakfast table. Jillian Deutsch has been writing about shifting consumer trends around plant based milks. After surging sales and the twenty ten seamstoppers are now turning away from their almond oat and other alternatives to dairy. Sales of these dairy free milks have fallen by more than five percent each year for the past three years, according to data from Circano. What Cow's milk sales have remained steady. So what's behind all of this, Well, it's partly people are paying more attention to what's actually in these non dairy milk, particularly looking at the additives that are in quite a lot of them. Kaw's book also appears a little bit simpler in that equation if you're looking at those things. It also has more protein, which is a very hot nutritional trend. But as also the price cos milk's cheaper, particularly in the US, and it means that you know, people are perhaps less able or less willing to pay the premium for non dairy milks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: This was the classic politicians question, wasn't it. Do you know how much a pint of milk or a lead of milk costs you? I mean my fridge has a number of different milks in it. But yes, I do notice that the non dairy versions are about twice as expensive as the as the regular milk. But because we sit in set offices, Stephen, I know you're a coffee drinker. I actually don't know what sort of milk you put in your coffee.
Speaker 3: I'm very I just haven't moved away from Go's milk.
Speaker 1: I never got on this trend because everything's cyclical. I'm actually back on trend again by simply doing nothing. The best way to remain you know, it's I can stop to watch is Right twice a day. So that's my philosophy for a life. A very interesting and Jillian has a great conversation with the CEO of Oakley as well, the leading Swedish brand in old milk, and what they're doing to try and boost their sales as well after seeing decline. So an interesting dell into the world of milk from Jillian Deutsche put links that story in our podcast show notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's dig into the results from HSBC, now, shall we? With Europe's biggest bang reporting higher profits and expected and announcing that it would resume as share buybacks the lend of CEO Georgelle Hedries, we're speaking to Bloomberg's Frosci Laqua. Here's some of their discussion.
Speaker 4: The results as a whole are demonstrating that we are becoming the stronger bank that we set.
Speaker 5: Out to build.
Speaker 4: We're very pleased with what we announced this morning. We're growing across all our indicators. Our revenue growing or law e loans and deposits are growing, our income is growing. We generated returns of nineteen and a half percent on tangible equity, so this is, you know, this is a good demonstration of a strong business momentum. We're also very pleased with the progress we're making on the strategy, which we're executing with precision, with discipline and at pace. And we've upgraded some of our strategic deliverables, including simplification related saves, and just announced three more non strategic exits over the last ten days. That's fifteen exits since twenty twenty five, and all of this is giving us capacity to invest, capacity to accelerate our investment.
Speaker 5: And finally, let me say we're we're you know, we're.
Speaker 4: Very confident in the potential of this bank. We're very confident our ability to unlock it. We are now a leader and a number of areas where we're operating with, you know, the Asian leader in wealth management the world to straight bank, and we have structured growth opportunities along our footprint, I mean Asian wealth, Asia, by Asia, the UK growth opportunities. So we're pleased to put more of our strength and the service for out lines.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's impressive because when you privatize Hanks and last year you said, look in terms of buybacks will probably take a couple of quarters. So what does this big buy bank actually tell us about the return generation capability of the bank post Hanks And yeah.
Speaker 4: So we're pleased to have resumed buy back this quare to three quarters after we announced hanksanging.
Speaker 5: We said at that time that our.
Speaker 4: Priority would be to rebuild capital post privatization. We estimated three quarters to be about the time to build that three quarters on were able to return excess capital to shareholders. Remember, our priority use of capital. First is the dividend payoutratio. Second is supporting the organic growth of the business. Organic growth with an outer's captite at the right returns within our strategic priorities.
Speaker 5: And we're very pleased our loan books have grown.
Speaker 4: I mean, UK has seen consistent growth and we've been able to lean in. We're very pleased to see Hong Kong finally resume to loan growth.
Speaker 5: So those will be the priority.
Speaker 4: Of course, excess capital priority distribution mechanism has shared buybacks, hence the one billion.
Speaker 11: Your head of corporate Investment Bank said you could actually become a three hundred billion capitalation bank shortly. I mean you're I think by twenty thirty is what he said. You're thirty billion away from that. Do you think you can become three hundred billion in terms of size and like six to twelve months.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I mean we're certainly very pleased with the share price reaction to the delivery of our strategy. Where this will go as a metaphor shareholders to judge. What I'm really focused on is delivering for the business, focused on all the growth opportunities that we're driving for the business, Delivering the strategy and the simplification at pace, and you know, the upgrades we have shown in our capability to do so and the speed at which we are able to do it safely are our good testament of the capacity we're creating to invest even further.
Speaker 5: In the business.
Speaker 11: You've also said that Hong Kong will overtakes Switzerland as the world's largest cross border was center by the end of the decade.
Speaker 3: Actually it's done so already.
Speaker 11: What does that mean for wealth creation in Asia and your story in it?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 4: Very pleased to see, you know, Hong Kong again becoming this world leader for cross border web management. I mean, Hong Kong is a home market for us. We are the leader in web management across Asia. We've grown our web parances in Hong Kong by ten percent. We're at half a trillion dollars. We continue adding clients in Hong Kong, six hundred and forty thousand new clients across our two brands, the two iconic brands we hold in Hong Kong, HSBC and Angsing Bank. So we're very pleased with the momentum that Hong Kong and the sophistication that the Hong Kong as a platform is creating to be the you know, the cross border leader in the world. Remember also, Hong Kong is a technology hub. We're seeing a lot of investment in Hong Kong in Ai. We will be launching very soon the next couple of months stable coin in Hong Kong, you know, as you know, as the you know, they're leading center for bank issued stable coins within a very good regulatory framework. So all good developments. Given our presence in Hong.
Speaker 11: Kong for Hanksang, how many more synergies are you expecting to come from that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Hank Sanng synergies. You know, we were executing in more than eighty percent of all the synergy workstream.
Speaker 5: So this is going on as per plan.
Speaker 4: We've already announced leadership across most of the infrastructure areas, the back office areas, the technology areas, the manufacturing areas. This will allow us to create the alignment and the synergies that you will achieve. I'll give you one example, very telling example in Q two, Hank saying, as of May started to use some of the digital onboarding capabilities, customer acquisition capabilities that HSBC built. They were able in Q two to double the number of clients they onboarded, sixty thousand clients on boarding Q two compared to thirty thousand Q one. Immediate visible benefit of those synergies.
Speaker 2: So that was the HSBCCO Jeorgel Hedri speaking to Bloombergs farc In Laqua after the London headquartered lender reported second quarter results. Stay with us more from Bloomberg Day BAQUB coming up after this. Well, the rush to AI has warped the venture capital market, with money flowing disproportionately to a handful of top two investors that back to the technology early, and that has left smaller VC funds struggling to fundraise. Bella Farr, who leads our team covering find Us in the UK, joins us now for more on this story, Bell are good to speak to you. Tell us more than about the effect that AI is having on venture capital. Who are the winners and losers?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So at the end of the day, it's ones that can show returns, right, and in the past few years, AI has really come to dominate, to dominate all exits.
Speaker 3: You know, five of.
Speaker 12: The biggest exits that we've seen in the last few years have been from AI companies. So if you're a smaller fund that didn't invest in open AI and Therapic, you know, SpaceX investors are really asking, well, can you prove returns? And you know, before we agree to invest further, we would like to see some exits. We would like to see some proof that you can actually give us our money back, you know, not just one times over, but two, three, four times over. So, you know, smaller funds are just having a harder time kind of convincing investors to buy on when they haven't been able to show you know, the same sort of returns that some of the biggest funds that do have access to AI that got you know, massive returns on SpaceX for example. You know, if they can't prove that sort that those same sort of investments, they're having a harder time raising money.
Speaker 1: Is this the same geographical story that we're seeing with investments in AI, where because the big players are in the US, that is where the money is flowing to in the majority of cases, are European funds losing out in particular?
Speaker 12: I wonder, yeah, I think that there's definitely a geographical advantage, right, but also not only are they just physically closer and able to connect with founders and other investors that are in AI companies, but they're also able to write bigger checks. Right, There's there's just a lot more funding capacity available in the US for these AI companies that need so much capital. Right, You're not talking about one hundred million dollar check here, You're talking you know, in the billions, and you really need to be able to have the scale and reach and the investors that will back that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what does all of that mean then for the startups then and the startups that they're they're funding.
Speaker 12: So if it's taking longer for some of these funds to raise money, it's probably going to take longer for the startups to actually get them. That's you know, first of all, that if a startup needs that a startup and that's not in the AI space needs funding, they might just have to be a little more impatient. So we have reporting that you know, there were firms that were raising that were kind of weighing fundraiseres last year that those processes have just kind of slowed down or the firms are reconsidering, but also investors are really demanding AI.
Speaker 3: So what happens if you're in.
Speaker 12: You know, if you're a food delivery startup that was really big in the pandemic, or a financial technology firm that you know, raised a whole bunch of money in twenty twenty one. I think for those companies, you really need to show that you can have scale and you know, investors might be more willing to.
Speaker 3: Buy into that.
Speaker 12: Otherwise it's just going to take you a lot longer to raise money.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating, all review, and maybe send it to that one friend or colleague who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 1: And if one podcast today isn't it not for you? You can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Oh if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio