Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Chargion.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. It's a rookie running back edition with thorn Istrom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Baby, Oh, the Trey Benson love is gonna be.
Speaker 3: Deep, deep, oh. Now.
Speaker 1: Part of it's because I haven't broken down that many running backs, and I like Trey Benson more than anybody else I've seen. But it's also it's a week class of it's not a this doesn't feel like a strong class of running backs. There's not like a figurehead runner like we have in a lot of leagues or a lot of seasons.
Speaker 3: Right for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so we're gonna we're gonna make do with the guys we got.
Speaker 4: We're going mining for golden, mining for gold.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: I want to We'll hit on maybe eight ish running backs. Where's the first running back gonna get taken?
Speaker 3: What round? Give me a middle of the second, end of the second. I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say mid to late second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds based on talent.
Speaker 3: That sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Plus running back, don't get taken it in the first round much anymore to have last year to the surprise of many, but most years, we're definitely we're not gonna happen this this year for sure, all right. So let's start with your and my favorite guy, Trey Benson. Of so many things that I loved about his game when i've when I watched him play. I love the vision, the change of direction, the tackle, breaking the home the home run threat that he brings. Sneaky speed as well. There's got so much I like about Trey Benson. But that's that's just me breaking down one game. You've got a much bigger sample size. Let's talk about Trey Benson out of State.
Speaker 3: Had an absolutely huge combine foot two sixteen had a nine to seven seven raz four three ninety thirty three five or over ten broads, just a great combine that the speed size combination is premiere in this class. And you look at you got when you go back to the twenty twenty two tape in conjunction with that size speed combination, that's when you get super excited about Trey Benson. His first couple of years, he was at Oregon and he had a catastrophic knee injury and uh aclmclateral meniscus, medio meniscus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, him his catastrophic as a true frash.
Speaker 3: Didn't play much as a sophomore, but that bet he goes to FSU and that junior season he was awesome. He had over he was the first ever guy to have a forced misstackle rate over fifty percent, as charted by PFF in twenty twenty two, the first player ever. So he has the really good power and he's at that locomotive that the size, speed, combination, decent vision. Some you could some people nitpick him a little bit for that, but in the twenty twenty two tape, I thought he was a lot better with that. There was some tentative stuff in this past year with that. I would nitpick more the usage that Norvell used him with Jordan Travis was also taking some of chomping out some of the the rushes with him last year. But Norvel likes to use the two running backs at YadA YadA. But the thing I'd say about Benson In addition to the utility, the tackle breaking, the size, speed stuff as a runner, he also has very good hands and he's a handful when when he gets trucking up field in space, when he converts from the receiver into a runner, you see examples of him adjusting to the ball in the air and making the play. So if you know, I didn't see the reports of the of the medical teams, you know, as far as signing off on him, but as far as long as your team's medical team did sign off on his knee and everything like that.
Speaker 1: We ran up four, three, nine, and just watch the tape, Denise. Now three years later, Yeah, hasn't it been three years?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, three years and later?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, So you know he's fine as.
Speaker 3: Long as the medicals are good. I mean, yeah, again, it's the specimen that the physical package, everything like that. And then the twenty twenty two tape was absolutely ridiculous. Trey Benson's got the build for goal line US.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so you know, from a fantasy standpoint, he's my favorite running back that I've looked into so far, because I feel like he can run inside, outside, he can break along runs.
Speaker 4: He's gonna help you at the goal line he can catch. Ok I'm in yeah.
Speaker 1: Now do you think that means Trey Benson will be the first running back taken in the draft because they, you know, NFL teams don't care about my fantasy team.
Speaker 3: I think he should be And and by the way, it's not just the receiving he's to me, it is one of the better pass blocking backs in the class as well, so he gives you the all around utility on the passing downs as well. To me, it's for me. The debate is over for RB one. He solidified that at the combine. Debate over for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to the next running back on your list, Tennessee's Jalen Wright Man.
Speaker 3: Can he fly twenty three and a half miles per hour? What? Yes?
Speaker 4: This is a you know he is a track star who can run inside.
Speaker 3: Absolutely stupid athleticism. Yeah, five ten and a half two hundred ten pounds and then nine to eight to one ras, four to three eight speed, thirty eight inch vertical, eleven two broad Just absolutely stupid athleticism, which isn't a surprise of people that read Bruce Feldman. He was a former Feldman free clister We've heard all kinds of tall tales about his athleticism. Jalen Wright also has receiving skill, receiving utility, and it must be said, does not have a lot of tread on the tires. He was in a three man rotation at Tennessee this past year. He rose to the top of that thing and became sort of the one a back of that. Some people nitpick him for this, You know that that he wasn't, you know, ever, sort of the bellcow guy or whatever. But you know, you can't have it both ways as far as that goes. You know, he goes into the NFL healthier than a lot of these guys and with less of that tread and is certainly the fleet uh sort of athlete as well. He's more of the straight line type guy. When he gets that crease and there's that all the way to the he is going to start a racing angle by angle by angle of guys and you're not catching him from behind. That that's Jalen Wright. I've heard comps tossed out of Elvin Kamara. I think that goes a little bit too far. But the other one I hear of Tevin Coleman. I don't think that one goes far enough. So he's somewhere in between those two guys. But with Jalen Wright, you're very early on the developmental curve with someone who has all the ability that you want and and going forward in the NFL, he's going to be a better NFL player than he was in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's an exciting part. And they started throwing to him last year for Jalen right as well. And what do you think his receiving upside is if things? You know, if that, if you're to continue can he be a forty.
Speaker 3: Fifty ball catcher out in an NFL season? Absolutely? And I would take that that would help. Yeah, And all you want to do with that kid is get him the ball in space, because every single time you have the chance to see a home run. Yeah, that's that's that's exciting. Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's hope he finds himself into a spot where he gets an offensive line and he doesn't need You don't have to hold your blocks long for Jalen right, but just give him that crease, right, that's right, Yeah, and then hold your bread. Let's talk about Texas's Jonathan Brooks. He's your next your number three ranked running back at this time. And I, as we've mentioned last week, you get the right to change your mind. It's March, so you can change your mind later. You got you got all the way up to the draft. But right now you have Jonathan Brooks third. I we touched on this a little bit last week. He didn't dazzle me with what I saw. And I'm looking for when I'm looking at running backstore, I'm looking for guys where I can identify some part of their game that's going to be special at the NFL level. And just what I've seen so far out of Jonathan Brooks, and I've only looked at a game and a half, was a guy who looks like a sort of a jack of all trades, so we can do a lot of things, but nothing special. And then I'm just I'm worried during special NFL trades here.
Speaker 3: But you like them a little more than I do, I think, Yeah, but I think how you're setting that up is totally fair. He's six foot two hundred and sixteen pounds athleticism. We didn't get to see that like the two other guys we just talked about who put on the show because obviously Jonathan Brooks, he tore his ACL in November, was not able to work out in Indianapolis. But if we had gotten to see his athleticism, he would not have tested like the freak of the two guys that we just talked about. Jonathan Brooks was stuck behind Beijon and Rochean earlier in his career at Texas to get by those it's tough to get by those guys. But he's not the freak athlete the Bijon is or even you know, Rochean obviously in the bigger package. But Brooks is an okay athlete, but not a stud athlete where he excels. His contact balance is very, very good. He has good feet. I like his vision, I like his patience and his feel for running. Those are the things that I like about him. He is decent size, He's a decent athlete. He's not a dynamic receiver, but he does how He's reliable in that phase. He has soft hands. But it's sort of like what you're saying. It's like, you know, no physical attribute you know, stands out an elite level anything like that. It's you know, the contact balance is the one thing where I'm like, that's really good. But outside of that, it's just a lot of things where you know it's he he you know, he's sort of at Texas at last season. You know, while he was healthy, he sort of added up to more than the some of his parts.
Speaker 1: He would say the guy that he reminded me of, and feel free to disagree. And I could be totally off. Two years ago, when I was really nervous about Trey Sermon, I was looking at all this productivity, I'm like, well, okay, when his offense, amazing offense, just gives him yards, he's great. When I need to trace Sermon to do special things, I didn't see it on tape. So Trey Sermon is my comp for Jonathan Brooks, and I could be way off on that.
Speaker 3: That's deliciously derisive. I had. Mine's kind of derisive too. I had. I'm still workshopping mine, but I had Sony Michelle, Okay, which I'm still workshopping. Like I said, but he's a tough guy to camp because well, first of all, we don't get the athletic profile on him, but he's also one of those guys where his special sauce it has nothing to do with athletic trades, you know what I mean. So it's yeah, it's he's a tough one.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get in one more before we take a break. When we're rookie running back, Marshawn Lloyd. I haven't looked at it at all, So I need I need a major I need a major download of Intel on Marshawn Lloyd.
Speaker 3: And by the way, our kids now old.
Speaker 1: Enough to been named after Marshawn Lynch. Maybe yeah, I mean, are we getting like, you know, is that possible?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: But he's a capital s Marshaan Yeah. Yeah, he's a mar shun shun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, a guy who's definitely stock up after the combine. My my only it wasn't a concern, but my only the one thing I wanted him to show me during the process, well two things when we saw him in mobile. The one thing I wanted him to show, which it was funny he brought this up during our interview with him, was as a receiver. Because he brought up at both at South Carolina and then at USC those offenses did not deploy him as much as a receiver as much as he would have liked, you know, they used him as the running back, he was the RB one whatever, but not as much as a receiver. He did show in mobile that he is a very smooth receiver and in the flashes we saw on film, but he showed, you know, in the receiving drills he's very smooth with that. And then during the combine, I wanted to see, is this like, where is this kid's athleticism. I actually bet my colleague Derek Brown at Fantasy Pros who is He's much? He was much higher on on Lloyd as an athlete than I was. We made a bet on his forty time. I was in the four five's on Lloyd and and Derek was in the four fours. And let's just say I was wrong, Okay. Lloyd ended up running in the four four. He four four six with an nine to nine RAS. So wow, Yes, So I Derek Brown some drinks next time we go to the senior ball. Lloyd also had a thirty six vertical. He had a very very good workout. But on the field, he a couple of different things. Very very good agility, so you like that. He has good vision, so he sets people up and then he has that agility. It's really hard to hit him square and he runs angry. We asked him about this in mobile too. We were like, you know what, you know, why do he run so angry? Like you know who hurts you? You know? And he's like he I didn't even know this about him. You know, he goes, he goes. It's because I'm from Delaware. He's like, okay, he goes. You come from Delaware, you go out there to prove yourself. Wow. I was like, okay, yeah. It was like in a wedding crashers. You know, that's what Marilyn does. You know. It's like I was like, all right, you learned something new every day. But I like Lloyd for all these reasons. You know, he he proved it a South Carolina. Then he went to usc Us. He had sorted the trying year last year, but he averaged over seven yards of carry. And I do think he is a better receiver than we saw at his last two stops, just because they didn't use him that way. Obviously a good athlete, his stock is going up.
Speaker 1: Okay, Marshawn Lloyd usc when we come back, did Michigan's Blake Korum succeed just because of the monster offensive line that gave him free yards. Find out from thor when we come back Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly. We're breaking out rookie running backs with thorn Eystrom at thor Ku on Twitter slash x Troy running back Kamani Vidal. He said, Vidal, am I saying yeah, I think so? Yeah, Okay, yeah, Kimani Vidal. I don't know anything about this Kidnop. I'm not breaking down Troy. I'm not running to Troy and my TV. You know, so I got nothing on him. What can you tell me about Kimani Vidal?
Speaker 3: So this is my guy in this right? I love Vidall. I don't know if I'm saying it right. I've said if you love him, you should know how to say his name. Yeah, I always called him Vidall. You know, I interviewed him down there, so I probably should have looked up the pronunciation. Guy. But so, a small back who is built like a bowling ball. I just have a type with running backs. He measured in five eight, two hundred and fifteen pounds down at the combine, but he has incredible acceleration and agility, a combination of that and he gets power from that acceleration and then he just has a fearless running style. He's another one of those guys that you cannot square up. He sort of hides behind the line of scrimmage and you can't square him up because of the agility, and then he gets through there so fast because of the acceleration. There was a lot of people out there that were sort of sleeping on his speed. Everyone out there thought he was gonna run above a four to six combine. He comes in runs a four four six who had an eight point eighty four raz very very good numbers for him. So you know, for me on my board, I have him as RB five right now. He was way way down there on a lot of other boards. I think he's going to be rising up after his combine performance. For me, I comped him to Jalen Warren. When I was down at the combine, I asked, I'm sorry. When I was down at the senior ball I asked him who he patterned his game after or who you know he his own game reminded him of, and he said Maurice Jones Drew.
Speaker 1: Oh all right, another bowling ball player. Yes, And he catched like Maurice Jones drew well.
Speaker 3: Interestingly enough, he said the one thing he wanted to do down to Mobile was showed the NFL that he could catch more twenty or more balls every single year at Troy, but barely more than that. You know, they didn't use him, you know, as much as he would have liked in the receiving game. But he showed in Mobile as another guy that was very smooth in that. But you know a lot of guys, when you ask them who they comped themselves to, it's always very sad. Yeah, exactly, it's always way above their import. But Vidal, he reminds me so much of a current NFL player. So I just had to ask him if he'd seen this guy, if you know, if he saw any of this. He reminds me so much of Jalen Warren coming out of Oklahoma State. It's the same size. I thought they were gonna test similarly, and then Vidall went and blew that out. But they the last year at Oklahoma State, Jalen Warren finished number two in the NPS and forced miss tackles. Last year, come Oni Vidaal at Troy finished number two in the NPS in forced myths tackles at the exact same size. So I asked him, I said, have you ever seen Jalen Warren? You know, what do you think he He just lit up. He's like, oh yeah, I could see that, all right. I think he's gonna in the same way. He's gonna be very similar to Jayalen Warren, either a very very good, complimentary back or a sort of a low level starter.
Speaker 1: Your next guy in your list, the next running back number seven, Michigan's Blake Koram. Now we touched on this a little bit last week.
Speaker 3: Jj.
Speaker 1: Some people ding JJ McCarthy because the offensive line set up so many opportunities for him, let him sit in the pockets some. But Blake korm had all the same advantages and probably times two. Yes, you watch his table dudes going like, you know, five yards untouched constantly. Yes, So talk to me about Blake Koram and where you think his fit is if he's got to run behind you know, an NFL average offensive line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Blake Koram is the guy that really needs to get nippick for this Michigan's offensive line last year. This is off memory, but pff, they were I believe they were number two graded run blocking offensive line pass blocking. It was they were it was something more like eighteen or twenty something like that. But that offensive line in particular was built to maul in the run game. And you could see this right Like Blake Korum yards after contact on average last year was two point four to two, which is one of the lowest of the top twenty guys. It's hard to nippick him too much for that, though, because his yards before contact was absolutely ludicrous, which wasn't necessarily his fault he had well, no, he had a freaking envoy every single time they handed of the ball, right, he was just a scarted down the field. It's another reason you look at his elusive rating. It's comically low. Twenty seven point four. You know, one hundred is considered like a solid one whatever. But it's for the same reason, right, Like the metrics are sort of skewed because that offensive line was so nasty as a run blocking unit. To another reason, you know, only thirty broken tackles. Another thing contextually, Blake Korm had the injury, the knee injury late twenty twenty two. He was still recovering from that early on last this past season, in twenty twenty three, so he was a bit sluggish early in the season as well. So you had a couple of those things going. The thing that I like about Blake Korm I mentioned before, I fetishized the bowling ball build. Yeah, I love guys like that, the agility and everything like that, the powerful build, everything like that. Blake Korum five eight two o five weight in at the combine, he has that agility, very very agile. In fact, his three cone six eight to two was tremendous. The forty was more meager at four five three, but the ras overall was solid at eight four eight. You like the the three cone, You like the vision, very very good. He runs with power, he breaks the arm tackles. Those are the things I like about Blake Korum. But I do have him down there at running back six right now, just because he's not as good of a receiver he is. He has the reliable hands, but he's not a great route runner. He's probably gonna be off the field on most passing downs. He's gonna get the early down work in the NFL, But for fantasy, you do have to mention that that you're probably gonna have a better receiving back on your roster.
Speaker 1: He's at five foot eight, he's still powerful enough where he can be a goal linebacker for right, I think it feels that way.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, let's go to.
Speaker 4: South Dakota States Isaiah Davis.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, okay, I have not broken him down in th South Dakota States obviously got a very nice program.
Speaker 4: Yes, what do I need to know about Isaiah Davis?
Speaker 3: He is a very different kind of a back than the last one we got from South Dakota State, Pier Strong. Pierre Strong was he was the straight line home run hit or the speed guy. Right, Isaiah Davis is a powerback who is more of like a slalom type guy. And then when defenders, so he's got the agility, but he's an upright runner, but when defenders hit him from the side or off angles, it's like a cartoon where they just slide off them, you know, like when they're hitting a brick wall. He even though he runs upright, it's it was so funny watching his tape because he has both the contact balance but also just like it's like touching an electric fence, like the kid just has the superpower that now you do have to say he was in the FCS, but at the highest level of it. You know, at South Dakota State, they won, They were a juggernaut. I mean, they went undefeated and he was the Bellcow. They also played Iowa, you know, they played some FPS teams over the last couple of years. You happen to know how he.
Speaker 1: Did against Iowa because that'd be awfully telling. Yeah, well, obviously an elite defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't have the numbers right, and it wasn't a fair question. Yeah, but I mean late in the season, you know, everything like that. Down the stretch, he was just absolutely dominant, you know, and over the course of four years, I do have that number, four thousand, four hundred sixty one yards, forty nine touchdowns, seven yards per carry over forty five games. But yeah, he that's what it is. It's the combination of the agility one cut agility, you know, it's not joystick agility, but the one cut thing, and then the power and the contact balance even for an upright runner. And he showed the reason. You know, he was another guy, you know, along with Vida, who are sort of my guys, you know, heading into the combine. Just like Vidal Isaa Davis proved the concept in Indianapolis eight seven to three RAS at the bigger size six foot two hundred and twenty pounds eight seven three RAS four five seven forty, which is fine for a bigger back like that with his style thirty four and a half vertical. So yeah, he's going to go into the NFL. He's going to be a strong back probably complimentary initially, but as far as the short yardage guy, the early down type guy, he's going to be productive I think in the NFL, just not not a receiving guy initially.
Speaker 1: All right, that's but hey, you know what, I like touchdowns and Isaiah Davis sounds like he's built goaling specifically.
Speaker 3: Which which I love.
Speaker 1: Let's go to I'm going to talk about two guys, our final two runners, two guys that underperformed at the combine and have seen their their stocks seemingly go down a little bit in the aftermath of that. First we start with oudrich S Timmey from Notre Dame and then Oregon's Bucky Irving, two guys who who needed good combines and didn't get them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so estimate was he had a fabulous year last year. He had ninety four point two PFF grade, you know, and with the bellcow for that Notre Dame offense, you know, they just sort of put it on his back. But he ran a four to seven to one forty in Indianapolis with with a one five to eight ten yard split. Not good. Now some people consider that disqualifying. I was four to seven. Yeah, yeah, I will say the rest of his tests were pretty good. He had he had a thirty eight inch vert at a bigger size. He had an over ten foot broad. That's why he came in in an eight to five to nine RAS. But again you have the slow forty with the sluggish ten yard split. The compy like most for him, which I think fits very well. As Jamal Williams for estimating in the NFL. I think he sorted that your early down type grinder guy in the goal line type guy. And I don't think that the speed thing necessarily changes my view point on that comes in six foot little over two hundred twenty pounds. The guy who I'm more concerned about the combine was Bucky Irving. He comes in five to nine hundred and ninety pounds. His his RAZ three seven to two. What runs a four five five, one five four ten yard split. His vertical is under thirty inches. Wow. Yeah, he couldn't jump over a stack of ten dollars bills and his broad was was nine feet. Uh. Not good Bucky Irving. He made guys missing college. He has some receiving skill, but he has to show that he can run by people at that very small size. I don't know what to say with that lack of athleticism. He might have just made himself undraftable. The people who like Bucky Irving are now making the argument that he is Kyron Williams. Brian Johnson is already drafting his argument that he's Kyrien Williams. But yeah, it's not a good day for Bucky Irving at the combine. So is he just gonna be a pure re even back in the NFL? You think, I think that's what it's gotta be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's that's something of a loss for the starting running back on a very good offense.
Speaker 3: Great job on running backs.
Speaker 1: Thank you, all right, let's uh, let's do wide receivers next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you feel about that? Let's do it all right? Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Everybody back next week with more Fantasy Football Weekly and Rookie Running Wide Receivers Bye.
Speaker 4: Bye nine times nine times.
Speaker 1: Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.