Speaker 1: What's up, Friendoza. Welcome back to Fantasy Pros the Baseball Podcast. I'm your friend Chris Welsh the Welsh. You can find me on Twitter at is it the Welsh and today in this special episode, we're talking about the five high upside base Steelers heading into the season. There's a lot of room to think about what that can be. Am I saying the top five leading bass Steelers?
Speaker 2: No? Not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Am I saying the top five base Steelers at the top of your draft?
Speaker 2: No? Not necessarily.
Speaker 1: The upside when you're taking the players already in the first round might be kind of built in. So we're gonna look around all different spaces of the fantasy baseball spectrum, some inside the top one hundred with further upside growth, and some deeper. I've got five high upside base Steelers. I think we're looking at twenty plus on all of these players, and maybe pushing thirty. So you're gonna wanna lock in. But before you do start implementing some of this into your draft strategy, I want you to think about where that draft strategy is coming from. And that's why I want you to go and check out the mock draft simulator over at fantasypros dot com slash Draft Wizard. This is the perfect time to start your fantasy baseball draft prep if you haven't started.
Speaker 2: The Fantasy Pros Draft Wizard is both a.
Speaker 1: Fun way to spend like ten minutes and get a draft in and also useful way to practice for your drafts. Fun, fast, and best of all, it's free. So go and try out our draft simulator today over at fantasypros dot com slash Draft Wizard or on the Fantasy Baseball Draft Wizard app. Now, my friends, I've got a need for some speed. One question that has kind of inserted into this entire thing, and something to think about overall, is how baseball is going to change as far as the base dealing goes with an advantage that teams have. The base paths are now about two two and a half inches on each side, closer pitchers can't throw over as many times anymore, and overall shifts have changed. So what is this going to do baseball season? Advantage for base stealing managers do? Maybe more guys are gonna run, Maybe the elite guys are gonna run more, so you might see an overall uptick in stolen bases in general, but that doesn't mean you're not going to want to focus. And these are players that I think even as the tides rise, they're going to be the ones that look the biggest because these are some of the most impressive players. And coming in at number five, I'm gonna tell you about the highest player on this list.
Speaker 2: Jazz Chisholm. I know this is the top fifty guy.
Speaker 1: Where's the upside? Well, Jazz is coming off of a year where he only still twelve bases because he played only sixty games in twenty twenty one. Though he's still twenty three bases in one hundred and twenty four games. He was out pacing that marker this past year before he got hurt so much so as well, you'd like to see him get caught less. But he attempted thirty one stolen bases in one hundred and twenty four games. You can play around with basic math, essentially every fourth game he attempted to steal a base, which if you're on the right side of it, that could be two stolen base attempts in a given week, which is a big deal if you're playing in head to head. The past year where he only played sixty games, he had seventeen attempts, so.
Speaker 2: That was going up. Again.
Speaker 1: The stolen based numbers looked like they were going up. The attempts were going up before he got hurt. Plus, you're gonna tag on some more power than probably anybody else. Another thing working in the favor, Derek Carti's the bat X, which was the number one singular projection system, has him as the third highest stolen based projection in all of baseball in twenty twenty three, and that's in only one hundred and thirty two games.
Speaker 2: The mind can wander.
Speaker 1: My friends Jazz Chisholm, even though he's a top fifty player, there's a lot of upside on his return, and he might be one of the few twenty five to twenty five guys on the Earth coming in at number four. We're gonna go way further down the list, but we're gonna stay relatively at the same position. Actually, one of my favorite players that I watched early on in his career, and this will only be really truly his sophomore season.
Speaker 2: It's cj Abrams.
Speaker 1: Cj Abrams on the Fantasy he Pro's ADP, which you can go and check out. It's got all the major sites on it has an eightyp currently that's sitting.
Speaker 2: At two point fifty three.
Speaker 1: He's a starting shortstop for Washington. There's a lot of room to grow and a lot of upside. Projection systems have him around nineteen anywhere from sixteen to nineteen stolen bases, which is pretty dang good.
Speaker 2: But cj.
Speaker 1: Abrams one of the fastest guys in the league. Actually, of all baseball players.
Speaker 2: Had the twentieth technically tied.
Speaker 1: For twentieth, which really would end up putting him around like the eighth because there's many players that were tied, but he comes in at twentieth as the fastest sprint speed to ninety feet tag on top of it. In twenty twenty two, between his time in TRIPAA with Washington, San Diego and the major leagues, he stole twenty one bases, which was just under one hundred and thirty games played. His numbers have come down, but he had an elite sprint speed when he was a rookie. He's only going to be twenty two years old.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 1: They've got a manufacture runs. He might be hitting at the top of the lineup and this is how he's going to impact the game.
Speaker 2: Though no projection has him.
Speaker 1: Over twenty I think there's twenty five plus in CJ Abrams game this year, and you're getting in post two point fifty. That, my friends, is upside. Coming in at number three is actually the guy the furthest down this list. If you look on Fantasy pros, he's got a five hundred ADP because across all the sites he doesn't even register. He only registers on a couple. Those are around the three hundreds. And we're talking about a starting outfielder in Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: It's Jose Siri.
Speaker 1: Jose Siri in a one hundred and four games last year had fourteen stolen bases. Every projection system bat X ATC if you want to look at an aggregate, has him for more seventeen on ATC. As a matter of fact, we go back over to that ninety foot sprint speed Jose Siri. Though he comes in at quote number twenty nine, he's tied with CJ Abrams three point eight two seconds. He is fast and he is cheap. He's got to get on base. His strikeout numbers are a little too high, but he seems to have that locked up and is one of the cheapest sources of stolen bases you can find out there. So even if it only steals fifteen when it's free, there's upside there.
Speaker 2: Number two is.
Speaker 1: My favorite, and if you know me, you know what I'm gonna say. It's Corbyn Carroll. This is another top one hundred player ADP of eighty three according to Fantasy Pros, but we've seen him go higher in some spots.
Speaker 2: This is the fastest.
Speaker 1: Player in Major League Baseball. As a matter of fact, when you go through the sprint speed to ninety feet, you see point zero one differences at every corner except from number one to number two, where there is point zero eight. It is the single biggest gap of any player going next to each other in all of baseball is Corbyn Carroll. It's point three sixty six, which is number one in all of baseball. He stole bases in the minors. Carrol between his time in Double A TRIPAA and the majors in twenty twenty two, still thirty three bases.
Speaker 2: And not to mention his twenty seven homers.
Speaker 1: As a guy that makes a lot of contact, he is wildly underprojected on all projection.
Speaker 2: Systems the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: They had two to twenty plus base Steelers last year in Josh Rojas and Jake McCarthy. I think Corbyn Carroll could lead this team while he might also be leading off. Let's make a bet for upside on the fastest player in baseball on a team that was top five in base stealing attempts in twenty twenty two, Corbyn Carroll. There's a lot of upside there. And number one on the list is a player that put up an almost ridiculous number, to say out loud, stolen bases in twenty twenty two across the miners and a little bit in the majors. It's a Storry Ruiz, who.
Speaker 2: Is now with the Oakland A's who stole.
Speaker 1: Eighty six bases, Yeah, eighty six bases at every I mean the majors. He only played a couple games he stole one base, but he stole twenty five in Triple A with Milwaukee, twenty three at Triple A with San Diego, and thirty seven with San Diego at Double A. Absurd stolen base numbers. How about in twenty twenty one when he stole thirty six twenty nineteen when he's still thirty four or twenty eighteen when he stole forty nine. He steals bass, friends, I think you get the point. He's on an Oakland team where he's gonna hit, probably higher on the lineup. Even if he doesn't. They need to manufacture runs. It's atrocious.
Speaker 2: This is what he is built for.
Speaker 1: This team traded for him, and you, my friends, can have him.
Speaker 2: For past two point fifty.
Speaker 1: Yes, his ADP according to Fantasy Pros is two seventy six. I usually don't like to chase stolen bases as far as my drafting goes. I like to be balanced. But guess what you miss out? You don't miss out a story. Ruiz might have the most upside in baseball. When's the last time we had a good fifty to sixty stolen base guy. It's been a while. There's now an advantage to stealing bases on a team that needs to create runs. Who traded for this player who stole eighty six the year before, across.
Speaker 2: The miners and in the majors.
Speaker 1: I would say it's pretty safe to say the highest upside stolen based player in all of baseball this year is a story. Ruiz? What do you think that I miss anybody. Probably I didn't say Mond to see.
Speaker 2: God knows how many he plays, but he'll.
Speaker 1: Probably steal a bunch. Who do you like out of this list? Who are you drafting?
Speaker 2: Let us know?
Speaker 1: Hit us up Fantasy Pros. You can check out the discord that we've got. We've got an awesome discord group. Go to Fantasy Pros. Check it out today, get in. You can be a part of the talks. You can have access to me and Joe.
Speaker 2: Pi's a p it. We'd love to have you. Go and check it out today.
Speaker 1: And to test those skills, go to fantasypros dot com slash draft wizard.
Speaker 2: Get in on some mock drafts. Try getting some of.
Speaker 1: These base dealers. See where they go, see where you can get them. You could do three drafts in like a half an hour, and I know you could easily kill a half an hour, So go and do that today. Friends, Thank you so much for hanging out with me. I hope you guys enjoyed it. Find me on Twitter at isit the Welsh and of course subscribe to the Fantasy Pros podcast. But that will do it for this episode. I will talk to you again and we will do some more baseball than another episode.
Speaker 2: Goodbye friends.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Baseball podcast. Follow us on Twitter at Fantasy Pros MLB, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy PROSMLB.