Speaker 1: Thank you for You're coming back. Part two is underway. How hard is it to like if you're a kid star?
Speaker 2: Obviously a lot of kids start you want to transition, but sometimes people only see you as that, and it's so hard to get out of that role and people only see you as that.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, Yeah, it's no joke.
Speaker 4: For me, I always felt a little scared that people wouldn't feel like I've been through anything, you know, because I do. Even sometimes in my own like extended family, there's this like, man, your family was.
Speaker 3: Da Da Da, and you lived here and you did the disneything.
Speaker 4: You ain't ever been through anything, So I would I would feel nervous that people wouldn't believe me when I told my stories, you know, or that I wasn't, you know, cool enough or been through enough to be able to say anything at all. But luckily my life did get real as I was making that transition, and I think I dealt a lot with real life things, colorism and rejection and losing money and being on your own, and all of those things are real. Wherever you're from, don't matter. Going through that is real, and so I did feel more validation in being able to say anything because I had been through it. I had and it was tough and scary, and I didn't know when it was going to end.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've heard this, but the Bernie Mac Show star Camille win Bush, she had to get on only fans because she said the residuals from the show it just wasn't enough to sustain moving forward as a kid as a former kid actor. I mean, is that something that you I mean, obviously you were able to transition and do other things. You can sing your full fledged, full fledged star now, But how difficult is it for a kid to transition when they don't have all of a sudden now they don't have that steady stream of income coming in as they transition into an adulthood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the transition is no joke, I think, because things slow down and you're trying to figure out where you fit in, especially in a world where most of the opportunities are written for people who do not look like you, then things are significantly slower. I think for me, I was always gonna just start a new career, you know, and if I had to do that, and it would still be in the music category. But I don't know, like maybe more on the label side, maybe more on the artist development side, maybe on the vocal teaching side. Like to me, I still wanted to be in that world. If I had to transition and I wasn't going to be in front anymore, and maybe I wasn't going to be singing the songs, maybe I'd be writing them, but I would have to figure out how to live with that because I still get one life, so I can't live in despair the rest of my life. Yeah, that is crazy, And I do get that part about, you know, running out of money and not having residuals. You don't have any ownership when you're doing these roles and sometimes singing these songs. But I think for me, I was going to figure out another way and you would just have to start from grounds zero. But people start from ground zero all the time. It doesn't matter if you sixteen, it doesn't matter if you're thirty six.
Speaker 3: You know, people pivot and you just got to live your life and keep going.
Speaker 2: And a part of this what I'm about to ask, is you kind of touched on is like kind of the advice that you would give someone as a child that's trying to pivot and go to that next phase of their life.
Speaker 4: I would say, depending on how much you popped off, you might be you know, might be straight, you might be so figure out how to manage your money so that it can grow for itself. But I think what I wish I would have done was to go to college and go that route, you know, do it on your computer and balance and then get a job and still do what you like.
Speaker 3: And so you're funding your dream.
Speaker 4: And also if you want to be in this field, create your own opportunity, Like I think of Easter Ay and Insecure how she filed that in an office all a camcorder, you know, or making my own songs and putting them on the internet, writing songs online, you know. And there's so many different ways to get yourself out there that just don't.
Speaker 3: Run out of money while you're doing the work a job. Are you're doing it? You know what I'm saying, do your nine to five?
Speaker 4: What if the thing they say on TikTok and stuff like my five to nine before my nine to five for the girl is going to be on you know, fitness working out of is it hard?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Like you're like I should be a star and then not, man, I don't be wanting to work because if I work, that means I'm not a star. But I think I'm a star, so therefore I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have to work. And then you get it, you get it twisted.
Speaker 4: Yes, that that is the most humbling part of that journey, when you when you get to that point where you're like, okay, I might have to, uh, well, at least for me, because I had felt like dang, I had done so much and I climbed so high and I was almost there and now what now They're gonna be.
Speaker 3: Like, aren't you that girl from Disney?
Speaker 1: What you doing here?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So work?
Speaker 3: I was thinking.
Speaker 4: I was like, maybe I'll put a wig on and just have a mask, because I'd be like, I'm just a germophobe. Like I was really thinking that I didn't want my pride to be messed up. If somebody saw me, like, what would I say? I would lie, I would say I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, you would say that's not you.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I do that now, Jones. I'd be like, no, I'm can keep on my Sorry.
Speaker 4: I'd be tired sometimes I'll be tired, but yeah, that pride really would have had to be humbled that.
Speaker 3: But the other choice to go home and I wasn't doing that.
Speaker 1: How tough is it?
Speaker 2: The handler rejection You don't get a part or things don't go your way. To stay positive because this is we can all pivot. But when you've invested so much time, so much energy, so much of your life has been invested in this, and then all of a sudden, you're like, damn, I might just have to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the rejection is, I mean, you have to grieve for what you thought was gonna happen, and when dreams die, you must mourn for them. But I felt like at least I could live with knowing that I tried it and I went to the wheels fill off.
Speaker 3: I would have to just chalk it up to that. You know, I would given it everything I.
Speaker 4: Had, and then, you know, I want to be happy, so I would figure out something else to do that.
Speaker 3: I talked to my mom every day when I was unemployed. Bill girl, what I was. She was taking all of this sadness.
Speaker 4: But one thing I love about my mom is that she she never ever made me feel like, yeah, girl, you can't do this anymore. Never was that said. It was always you can pivot and be in this world. You can teach, you could go go back to go back to school for music, learn an instrument, you could compose.
Speaker 3: It was it was never, no, I don't think you can do this anymore.
Speaker 4: You know, with all of my family, every one of them, you know, when somebody wouldn't pick up, I gotta go on somebody else. My mom, dad, my siblings, everybody saw that that tunnel of uncertainty. That was gears of my life, you know, and funding my own music videos and like now you running out of more money. But I wanted to make this song because I believe in this song. It's just it's just really really scary, really really scary. But I'm grateful for them because if not for them, I feel like I wouldn't have had enough, you know, strength to keep going.
Speaker 1: Your mom has always been your biggest supporter, hadn't she?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's your that's your rock, that's your foundational piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, no matter what, no matter what, the good the first person you called, no matter what, Yeah, I went thirty million dollars in the lottery. Mom, guess what I know for real?
Speaker 3: Fip that my mama's smart as hey, I'm like, girl, we all up.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, my mom is is definitely such a crucial piece that makes me who I am. And I think, just like, just like I said about the singing and that part, she wanted that so bad when she was raised, you know, to just feel like encouraged scene and support it and whatever she wanted to be. And so I think that is where she had to teach herself how to do that for us, right, you know, because like I said about my dads, like we don't know how to do these things if they weren't taught to us. Yeah, my mom has done a great job of working on herself and trying to be a more open and more less judgmental you know, because I love my mama, but she's very religious, very Christian, very you know what I'm saying. So sometimes I'm like, girl, don't watch that video, listen to that, don't even listen to it. But yeah, she is definitely my safe place to land for sure.
Speaker 1: How much.
Speaker 2: Are you like your mom? I mean, do people say, girl, you definitely your mama child.
Speaker 4: Yes, I definitely get that. I'd begetting that. I sound like my mom. Of course I look like my mom. My siblings say I'm just like my mom.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like me and my mom are very similar when it comes to work ethic and how we treat people, and like what we want for ourselves great things and goals and whatnot like that. But yeah, me and my mom have different things. Like, like I said, my mom is very read religiously rigid. So there's certain things I know she's not even gonna want to hear that in the car one curse word, I got to turn it off, right, She's not trying to hear that, Like certain things I like shows or whatever, things like that.
Speaker 3: She'd be like, what is that right? You know she's done into that.
Speaker 1: You took an eight year hiatus.
Speaker 3: The hiatus took me.
Speaker 1: Oh that wasn't by choice.
Speaker 4: Hell no, would never ever do that. Yes, I'm literally deciding to be pregnant or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, we talked about that little later. But let me ask you this. So eight years, that's a long time. That's a long time. Yeah, Okay, one year go by it. Oh this thing go happen. Oh this thing about the ju party.
Speaker 3: And I was like, we in the club we're checking shots. What's a shot? Another one?
Speaker 1: Two years?
Speaker 4: Two years, We're still cute, and I'm sneaking into the club. I'm only eighteen. I'm in there now. I'm like with the like artists and celebrities, I'm like, whoa, I'm at they out. But I'm also like I deserve to be. But I'm also like, okay, cool, cool, cool. Three years, this guys to get a little less funny.
Speaker 3: Okay, a little chuckle you're for. I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: I'm concerned, and I'm doing things that nobody's watching, nobody cares so embarrassing, like you, I'm singing these covers on social media and like, my engagement is so low, and I remember it when it was so high. And I'm doing movies where the budget was like forty cents and it was and hopefully nobody watches. I mean, and it's okay, you know, it's part of my story, so they you know, if you watch it, you watch it.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm doing these things that just weren't weren't wasn't catching, they weren't catching, and they weren't what I wanted. They weren't what I thought I could have. You know, and so I'm just like confused, very confused. And then I'm like also learning about love and learning about relationships, and nobody taught me these things. Honestly, I really was in this bubble of music. This is what I want, this is all that focused on. I didn't even I didn't even date until literally I was eighteen.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to ask you. So you come out to LA and you move out to LA in seventeen. That's to be very interesting that you moved to LA on your own. I wonder what your parents were thinking, like, Oh, no, what to La? Why you got to move so far away?
Speaker 4: Nah, that wasn't what they thought at all because I had been coming back and forth for LA since I was nine, So they we all knew and associated LA with where you go to work in that field, you know. So it's kind of just like that's what we know, we know you're gonna do that, But of course it's it's very very hard. And I think I think my mom. I think my mom and dad were kind of in this this. I don't know, maybe there was a little naive to think to think what was gonna happen, But I but we all needed to be a little bit naive, you know, I didn't. I didn't want to live in any possible negative reality. To me, I was like, once I go there, it's up. That's what I thought, and I think that's what I had to think. That delusion kind of helped me to keep going.
Speaker 1: So, yes, five, six, seven, and eight, why didn't you give up?
Speaker 4: Why didn't I? Because I still had a little money in that because that rent check was I'm still clearing, and because I wanted it so bad. Man, I wanted it so bad, and until I had to leave. I wasn't going to leave until I had to. I mean, I literally downgraded where I lived. I had roommates again, I like didn't have them, and then I had them, and then I didn't and then I got them again, and then.
Speaker 1: You know how y'all women are y'all.
Speaker 4: Well, actually it's very very interesting. It's still roommates.
Speaker 1: Did your mom know this?
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't all guys. First of all, it was two girls and two guys. I'm one of the girls. Yeah, So we had this big place and everybody had like a room, and and you know how I said, I didn't want people to know, like what I did. They were all white, respectful, respectful. They didn't know me, they didn't know me at all.
Speaker 3: But then I.
Speaker 4: Started to pop off again, like during the pandemic, and like my clips were go viral, so they'd be like is that you, And I'd be like, mm yeah, yeah yeah. But I left shortly after that. But yeah, So I just kept prolonging it. With what I'm saying, I was doing. I was doing whatever I needed to do to stay.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I also was just in a cloud of what's going on. I'm confused. I'm trying to numb this, but I'm not leaving. It was really crazy times. I was in a crazy relationship, and I was just like prolonging the inevitable is what I was thinking in my mind.
Speaker 2: They say when we're at our lowest is when we find out the most about ourselves. What did Coco find out about herself.
Speaker 1: During this period that.
Speaker 3: Money doesn't eco happiness?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So I was in this relationship that basically it was kind of like a manipulation situation, like, oh, you want your music video.
Speaker 3: To do this? Oh okay, well da da da da Oh okay, So what are we like?
Speaker 4: What are we you know, Okay, y'all, I'll pay for that. You know, it was kind of like it was kind of like me on a string because.
Speaker 1: I it was a Twig Poe quote, you do things for me, I do things for you.
Speaker 4: It's something very similar to that. And I was like, you know what, maybe this is what Maybe this is life like, maybe this is the type of relationship that you know whatever. You know, you have money and you don't have happiness whatever, and I just it just crashed so bad that I was like, I would rather be broke than ever need anybody to do anything ever for me.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm out. I'm out.
Speaker 4: And I had to like literally uncut myself because there were so many strings in me tied to that person that I didn't even know were there, that I didn't even know where was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was just crazy.
Speaker 1: But when you're like, how did how did you?
Speaker 2: How did you cut the cord because you kind of kind of needed it, I know, bro.
Speaker 3: It was so it was so hard at the time.
Speaker 1: Didn't say you'll be.
Speaker 4: Back, nah, he didn't say nothing like that. He was like, well, well, your music video is not gonna be funded. Good luck with that. I'm about to call them, right now and tell them I'm not paying for that what And I was like, okay, okay. It was like everything kind of had to crumble. And it was so embarrassing at the time because like the producers I had worked with on this one song, they were like helping me film the video and then they were like, why did you just call us and say something about that? And I'm like, oh, okay, here's the truth, you know. And I was just telling them what was what I was doing, what I was in and kind of like where my life was at at that time. And so yeah, it was super humbling at the time, but that's what I learned. I was like, even if I ever get this money again, I'm gonna never never equate it with happiness, with a healthy relationship, with a healthy mind. Hell no, if I don't have it in myself, I don't need the money.
Speaker 2: How did you find yourself again? How did you pull yourself out.
Speaker 3: Of that therapy?
Speaker 4: At the time, So the one good thing about that relationship was that he used this therapist and I would hear they were what they were talking about, and I'm like what, And then I was like, who do you let tell you about yourself? I want to talk to her. And I remember I had my first therapy session and I was breaking down crying because I had never been asked some of the questions that she asked me. And from there, I was like, Okay, I'm kind of in this trap situation, but I'm about to tell you everything. I don't know why I just told her everything. I felt like she couldn't tell anyone else.
Speaker 3: I mean no, literally, and I googled that. I was like, you can lose a license. I'm gonna trust you, girl, what it's also the law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I just told her everything, and slowly, by slowly, I was rebuilt because I was such such a low state. I felt so powerless, I felt so stuck. I felt like I was in these chains and I couldn't leave because I wanted this music stuff so bad and I was just going to do what it took, you know, and my freaking rent and ugh, it was just so bad.
Speaker 3: It was so bad. I was so unhappy.
Speaker 4: But yet she helped me rebuild myself and also just to shed these these limiting beliefs. This is what I gotta do. Like I I would say, this is what I gotta do. You think I want to do this, you think I want to sing that, You think I want to do that? And so she'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, but why, says who? And I literally couldn't answer. So yeah, yeah, rebuilding slowly.
Speaker 2: When you saw the viral tweet asking what happened to Coco Jones, how did it make you feel?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I'm right here?
Speaker 3: It was so embarrassed.
Speaker 4: I was so embarrassed at that time that I feel like I just kept getting hit hit with hit with embarrassments. And I remember that that it made me really upset. I called my mom and I was like, this is what they're saying about me. I cannot believe this is what the world thinks about me. I'm a has been I'm not even freaking twenty something.
Speaker 3: How now now? And I remember my mom.
Speaker 4: Said, what do you got to lose? Like literally, you're unemployed. So she was like, just tell them what happened. My mom not knowing how social media works at all. Yeah, Like it's not my homegirl down the street, this is the internet, she says, We'll tell them, tell the Internet. And I ended up that was my first time ever saying anything that didn't have to do with music that wasn't polished that wasn't you know.
Speaker 1: Because you would lie. I would lie and what I said you wouldn't lie.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you said you would lie.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you wouldn't lie. No, no, you didn't pre record. It's like so it's almost like it's kind of hard.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: And I was so scared because I was like, ooh, I don't want to be black bombed. I don't know how this works. To tell the truth, I had never done anything like that. I was just like, if it ain't cute, you don't say right. So but honestly, so much came from that. So much of because you know what's crazy. My homegirls would be like, you need to tell you need to talk more, like your personality is so sometimes right, and I'd be like, girl, anybody's trying to hear me, dogs, I just need to sing. So it was just so validating and it opened a lot of doors. The sound that I had in the video went viral on TikTok and then I was like, what's TikTok? And then I started doing shit on TikTok and then that popped off too.
Speaker 2: Whether the situation that you felt free after that because you mentioned about these change you mentioned about these strings you're rich about like being in bondage, and it felt like it seemed like to me and I'm just outside looking in. I'm not the therapist, but once you did that, you felt like you were free.
Speaker 4: I think what really made me free was what my therapist had said to me this one time. I was telling her what I can and can't do as a dark skin black girl, and I'm like, they don't let you do that, Like you can't do that, or like, nah, that's just not that's not realistic for me. And she was like, is this really the world you're going to live in? Like this world where you have all these limitations you didn't choose, Like is this really what you're gonna do? Because like why wouldn't you just create your own world? Like who said that? What rule is that? Where is that written? And it made me be like I literally don't know. I really only act the way the world has taught me I should and shouldn't act. And that to me was kind of that shift that made me I would think, made my life change. And then of course telling that video and then that video and seeing people like my personality, I was like, Okay, so this is during the pandemic. I'm like, maybe they don't want me to sing anymore. Okay, I'll tell stories. So I started telling these stories on the internet. I was like, I would have just pressed record, and afterwards I'd be like, what am I doing? I just told stories on the internet. But it was working at the time. My engagement was back up. Then I'd throw a little song in there, and then the TikTok thing happened, and I started doing the covers on TikTok that were like that, if I was on this song, do my version of that.
Speaker 3: And slowly it just pivoted.
Speaker 4: And then I got acting management who would saw the video and they were like, we want to work with you. And I was like, okay, I haven't had an acting job in like a year and a half, but sure. He was like, I just like your personality, and yeah, it just.
Speaker 1: Y'all pay the acting mission.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. You would have masked. Y'all pay for this gig. Okay, y'all, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Work like that. They can commission. They're not paying for nothing. Dude, Oh, I think let me find out on tripping.
Speaker 1: But let mask you this.
Speaker 2: Why do you think TV executives believe that darkest complexed women aren't marketable.
Speaker 4: Aren't well. I think it's changing now. I don't think that is exactly the truth. I think you just have to show people that things work. But honestly, truly, I think our community has done a poor job at times of supporting our own work. And so if we're looking at just the numbers, if I'm an executive and I'm unbiased because I don't care, I.
Speaker 1: Just want the money, Yeah, I see green.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Looking at the green, like which way are you going? Where the people show up or where the people be Like eighteen dollars for a ticket? Cur you know what I'm saying. So I do think as a community, we had to do a better We have to do a better job of supporting our own stuff. But I also feel like it's a matter of not knowing, not knowing what it's like over there. You know, you're in this position and you're this exec You don't know what that's like until you get somebody like a Shonda Rhimes or Issa Ray who's like, this is what it's like.
Speaker 3: Let me show you the script.
Speaker 4: It's really good and it's funny, and you're like, oh, what a different way of life, you know, and and kind of introducing people to the world of being black in different facets. I don't think it's necessarily that they don't think that that we're marketable. I think they don't think of us until somebody forces that into their heads, you know, and until we as a community force that that money, that revenue into our own world, you know. But I definitely think it's getting better from when I was a kid, Yes to me now watching these shows and so many different platforms, Ulu, Appletude, you know, AES, so there's so many more opportunities. It's just the best show wins at this point. Honestly, it's whatever can grab attention. Attention is currency now, it's not this look, and it's whoever can grab attention.
Speaker 2: Why do you feel you haven't come or do you feel the need to succumb to societal pressures and change anything? Plastic surgery, BBL, bigger.
Speaker 4: Have I felt that? No, I wouldn't say that I felt like that. I honestly, if anything, when I was younger, wanted to be like shorter, but I felt like all the guys, I mean, like, I'm not talking that young a couple of years ago, right, I felt like all the guy actors were shorter than me, and I'm like, well, they're not gonna choose me because I'm taller than him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That was the one of the only things I could think that I really wanted to change about myself. But for the most part, now, I come from an athletic family. So whatever you want to see in your in your body, that's like I was taught go working, go do it. Yeah, and that's kind of that's what I like, working out and feeling strong.
Speaker 3: That's what I like on my body.
Speaker 2: So no, uh, CISLa recently came out and said she regretted getting a BBL. Have you talked to anybody in the industry that have regretted any cattle because I think that now the thing in the TV industry or the Hollywood movie industry is like this old this weight loss drugs, the a zipic, zeppetide and mclue tide that things like that. Have you talked to anyone that regret like whatever you do, don't do this.
Speaker 4: No, the girls that I talk to, they be like, girl, do I look good? I don't know about nothing, but that's eating right. Up.
Speaker 3: I'm like, let me feel that.
Speaker 4: No, I will say, though, I do feel like I have had some girls who do like the quick trying to lose weight. Yeah, all of like maybe you gotta shoot coming up and you trying to do something. But that is the only thing where I feel like it's like, yeah, I just poisoned myself for no reason. But yeah, no, none of the girls that I really regret that. I think you gotta be careful though, because everything's a trend. So it's here today, gone tomorrow, but they be looking good.
Speaker 2: At Janet Jackson reposted one of your videos Scissa hit you up after?
Speaker 1: I mean, what did that Janet Jackson?
Speaker 2: Now, obviously Janet was Beyonce before Beyonce and so for and so on, and she was she was the it and for her to repost it or just have Scissa you know job, I mean, what how does that make Coco Field? How did that make Coco Field? And no, Janet Jackson reposted of your video.
Speaker 4: I think it's very rewarding, you know, because for such a long time nobody cared. So to have people care, first of all, is a blessing and crucial to success. Right then to also have you know, people you look up to and respect in your field to commend what you're doing is it's kind of like this sigh of relief, like, oh, maybe I am doing something really good. If they think that, then then maybe I am doing something really good. But honestly, I think for me, I feel like it's it's always been me who's got to be proud of what I'm doing. Okay, even when I even when nobody cared and it was embarrassing, I still knew.
Speaker 3: I hate that.
Speaker 4: I hate that, and I'm like, I don't know what's not what's not clicking for y'all?
Speaker 3: Right, but damn something over here?
Speaker 1: Uh do you believe you got the roller? Hailey?
Speaker 2: But Hillary? Hillary? So how was that audition? Tell me about that audition?
Speaker 4: So that was around the time where I had just started getting rerelevant in the world in any capacity, and I had this fan base now that was like, we support you. We didn't know you were going through this, We support you.
Speaker 3: I don't know your care. Thank you.
Speaker 4: So I get this acting management and they're like, we just like your personality, we want to work with you. I was like, okay, I haven't been a boy in a year and a half, but that okay. And so around that time, they were like, there's this audition, there's this opportunity going around the show bel air, and we think you should audition for Hillary. And I was like, y'all, what do I look like trying to audition for this light skined girl.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I was like, I telled you guys, been.
Speaker 4: A year and a half since I've had a job, and y'all gonna make me do this, like you know, and I was like, what if I read for Ashley? They were like Ashley's twelve in this get your on tape for Hillary, and so it was.
Speaker 3: I was very reluctant.
Speaker 4: And this was still when I was working on myself until my mental was not really good, and so I was basically expecting rejection. So I kind of did it in this I don't really care I'm doing this and I don't really care, but it kind of worked, you know. So I ended up getting on the phone with the director right after my audition, which I thought was just okay because in the back of my mind I wasn't really there. I was like, let's get this along so you can tell me no, we can move on. Thanks, and he kind of talks about how he had looked me up and how he knew me and how he wanted me to just really be myself. And I had never had anyone with any position of power tell me to do that, and so I was like, Okay, great, I'm gonna do this next audition, and now I'm really excited. Now my heart's in it. You know, you normally you keep your guard up. And then he was like, actually, we're just gonna call you. We'll tell you whether or not you got it. So they were basing it off my first audition where I didn't really expect anything, and I was expecting rejection and I was like, oh, well, I'm not going to get this, okay, But they ended up calling me and telling me that I did get the role, and I was so so happy because I needed that money.
Speaker 1: Was about to be doing Gia huh man what.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'll sign anything.
Speaker 4: No, but it didn't work out, work out and we're on we're about to film our fourth and final season. So it's a blessing to think that was four years ago where I was like, hell, yes.
Speaker 2: Did you think think about this? You said you went in there and you're like, hey, I'm just gonna read. I don't care if I get it or not. As opposed to the other roles that you were actually trying to get. Do you feel like you relaxed and you allowed the best Coco to come out?
Speaker 4: No, No, I am my best when I am prepared, when I do my research, when I'm ready, then I can just get out of my head and just execute.
Speaker 1: But you said you like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't thought would you want to do this other role? But the other role was too young, and then you're like, I'm just gonna do this and this like.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It was truly just my time.
Speaker 4: It was truly just my time because when I look back at it, I could see with the vision, but I can see myself and I know what I was thinking in my own head. So I'm like, I don't believe her. But people who don't know what's in my head, they could get it, you know. Yeah, But no, I'm my best prepared. When I practiced, when I rehearsed it, then I can just go eat it up.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What's some of the best advice you've received since you've been in the industry. What's some of the best advice who's given you some of the best advice that you're like, Okay, this has really helped me.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 4: Sisa had said something because I remember I had done this cover of Love Glory and this was years ago, and she had hit me about it, or maybe it was hit different.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: She had hit me about it because you know a lot of her fans were sending it to her. And I asked her, how did you get there? And she kind of said, like, be delusional in a way, like and honestly, truly, I do feel like you have to be a little bit delusional because you're trying to do something that nobody has done, especially the people around you, the people closer to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you have to like be delusional. And unless you have that support in somebody who believes in the vision.
Speaker 3: With you, you on your own with it. It's you on God.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think that actually has helped me so much to walk in rooms with my I had held high to seeing certain things, to try different, you know, things creatively, is like delusion?
Speaker 1: Is there a scene that you won't do? Is there anything that you won't do?
Speaker 2: I don't know about you know, intimacy on screen or being naked on screen, is there something that cochld like, Nah, that isin't your girl.
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like honestly, truly a lot of the intimacy scenes are super choreography. They're five six, seven, eight, one two three four, do it again, and you just get into this little habit.
Speaker 1: To me, it's like mob watching.
Speaker 4: Uh my mama, no, not to be learned. The hardware she got to protect herself. But I think for me, I don't want it to ever lean to porn by you know, like if it's a tasteful moment, like I always say the Notebook, that was obviously them having sex, but it was so tasteful and the storyline was so good, and I was just like, I respect this.
Speaker 1: You know what you got out of that tasteful?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: What did you get out of it? Was tasteful?
Speaker 3: You don't even know what I'm talking about. When you come back to the gear. He built that packing house for her, He built that house.
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think that would have to be the world that's in it, because sometimes I'm like, what now, why is this scene here? I'm reading the script and I'm like, what does this have to do with anything. Did this make me like the characters more at all? Or are they just wanting some views because I'm not doing it that bro, it would have to be tasteful.
Speaker 1: Have you ever turned down the road because it made you feel uncomfortable?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I have turned down roads where I didn't want to be depicted in that light, you know. And sometimes most of them, like if you get an audition and it's something crazy, they say that at the beginning, before you even read for it will require nudity, will require this, da dah da da da, and you.
Speaker 1: Ain't get new it on camera.
Speaker 3: Uh, it depends, it depends.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to do like okay, So I feel like if it's like a silhouette and you can see that it's obviously in my body, but I don't want it to give like.
Speaker 3: You don't want to look at bco Jones boobs. You don't get that correct? You know what I'm saying. You're getting that cropped out. That's not my vibe, that's not my boby.
Speaker 2: Uh are you going to play to your man? I love all you do. I did I saw it. I did you.
Speaker 3: Watch it with your kids or something?
Speaker 1: I was by myself.
Speaker 2: I know I used to go to a lot of animated and I know people looking around like and they probably thinking if I wasn't who I was, they probably think I would have purved, because I mean there with everybody parents and with their keys.
Speaker 6: You a little side, I bet you know, whatever your passions are, your passion, I would definitely pass with my large and blessings guide him on his way. But you know what, I love animation too.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think they're so cute and the way they like they like emote is so cool to me. I do love animation. It's one of my favorite like types of movie. But yes, people ask me, am I gonna play Princess Sanna.
Speaker 3: And y'all come on, I don't know. I don't know what's in the cards.
Speaker 4: Like even if I was sitting right now knowing that I just filmed it, I wouldn't be able to say that those non disclosures be tight like my therapey.
Speaker 3: So no, I don't know. I wouldn't. I wouldn't. I wouldn't be opposed, of course.
Speaker 4: I think it would be like an honor to one day have like a film like that. And my daughter watched me as a princess.
Speaker 3: He'll be amazing.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. I don't know how that's working. I don't know what they got going on over there, but they know where to go to find me. They got my number and my mom and number.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. I'll see you in a new movie. Country Wayne, Loretta Devine, Tabitha Brown, Miss Pat Yeah, I had Miss Pat.
Speaker 3: Have I seen some of them clips?
Speaker 2: Lloyd have Mercy? I had Tabitha also. Country Wayne has also been on.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I saw Country Wayne's too.
Speaker 4: Actually when I was on set, that's when I watched it because he was telling me a story.
Speaker 3: I was like what and yeah, I wouldn't watch this episode with you.
Speaker 1: What what? What are they like?
Speaker 4: On?
Speaker 1: Said? What was that set?
Speaker 3: Like? They're all different personalities.
Speaker 4: Loretta is like this respectful legend, tasteful Country Wayne. You know, he is that that swag, that that voice, and he's super chill.
Speaker 3: But he's a very hard worker, very hard worker.
Speaker 4: Miss Pat is you know, she's hilarious.
Speaker 3: She's a little bit so funny.
Speaker 4: But I think we all did a really good job of like making it feel very authentic and you know, adding our two cents and things.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's kind of one of those movies.
Speaker 4: Where like you hope that it could have that black culture stamp effect, you know, so everybody was contributing in their different ways too, you know, hopefully get that outcome.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had a mistaken identity?
Speaker 1: Look like, are you Gabrielle Jennifer Hudson.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yes, Gabrielle Union Jennifer Hudson, do you say yes?
Speaker 3: It depends on how It depends on how I'm feeling that day.
Speaker 4: But sometimes, more than likely, I'll do this thing where I'm like, people be like, oh my god, you look like Jones, and I'll be like, who is that? Because I want to see what they say, and nobody said anything bad. Yeah, so that's good.
Speaker 3: But then I'll tell them yeah I am, but yeah, of.
Speaker 1: Course you got a new song.
Speaker 3: Yeah taste? Can you hear?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How could that go? Oh?
Speaker 4: I got my phone right here? Yeah, I'm like, let me see, I thought you want to be playing? Okay, so yeah, so Chase, I'm really excited. It's you know, of course me with my r V vocals. But then I'm also sampling Britney Spears Toxic and it's really dope. So you want me to sing some of it. Look, I'm like, should I sing the Britney part? A?
Speaker 3: Taste kiss me and places I'm chasing? I can't race it. Taste me, boy, you don't taste you.
Speaker 4: That's a way I feel, And I'm slipping under and then it goes into the time. I'm all right, it's really dope. I'm excited. Man, Oh it's out now. Yeah, I gotta pretend to this out out.
Speaker 2: You said you was in a toxic relationship the guy. He was controlling that. Yeah, okay, you do Hey, you don't do this like.
Speaker 1: That video? I don't know rip hey looking good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did have my little phase of that. I did have my little face of that. I think it's kind of something you have to go through to, you know, character develop and learn what you do and don't like.
Speaker 3: But I mean, he wasn't the only toxic one. I will say that. I was also talking to my ways.
Speaker 4: I had my waist. I was I feel like everybody was. And so you get healed and they're like, I just want to love authentically.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I have my fair share of moments. What is this?
Speaker 1: What is this? Uh uh? This rumor that was going on about you and Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 3: What what rumor?
Speaker 1: I mean, y'all showed up at a car.
Speaker 2: I mean you said it was nothing, but it's I think it's odd holding hands dressed and dressed alike. I'm just it could have been innocent, yo, But normally most people don't show up at.
Speaker 1: The concert holding hands.
Speaker 3: Dressed up, dressed alike. That's hilarious. You know what.
Speaker 4: I love the Internet because they definitely clocked my tea. I love that, you know, it's a little spies everywhere. I like a detective movie. But you know what, I'm happy, and I will say my music is the outlet that I used to tell most of my my stories and my truth and and some things. I keep your bodys out because this is my life too. But yeah, I say some things that you can hear in my album.
Speaker 1: You can ask you this dating.
Speaker 2: Are you a public I mean, obviously you a public figure, but are you private?
Speaker 1: Because a lot of times, because a lot of times.
Speaker 2: You know you, they date, they're public figure, then they date, they do everything publicly. But do you like having privacy? Do you like having some anonymity, like some secrecy? To Coco, I.
Speaker 4: Think secrecy is not what I prefer. I don't want to ever feel like I have to be somebody's secret.
Speaker 3: I won't.
Speaker 4: I don't want to make anybody feel like their mind. I think for me, I'm trying to protect myself, right, and I'm trying to protect you know, my family and whoever I love, and so yeah, I am more private.
Speaker 3: Also, I just feel like I give so much.
Speaker 4: I work so hard and I will always do my part on the business side, on the coco side, on the singing side, on the acting side. So why do I also have to give y'all, you know, something that is sacred to me? When I give so much on that side, you know, I just feel like it has to be balanced otherwise it's not fair.
Speaker 3: Then when is it? When what do I get from me? You know?
Speaker 2: How the dating a celebrity? Could you a celebrity? Obviously? If you date somebody, could you I'll ask you this before we get to that part. Could you date someone that's not a celebrity?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think for me, I don't really like the celebrity lifestyle myself, so to be with somebody that was more normal would never have been, you know, like an issue to me has never been like an issue to me. I think for me, what's always been important is okay, yeah, you do your big one there, I do my big one there whatever, field, public, not public, whatever. But I want to feel seen and heard as Courtney. I don't want to feel like there's any other motive to being with me if I walk away from.
Speaker 3: All of that. Are you cool with that?
Speaker 4: You know? I don't want to feel like I have to be on because I have one job, and so I want to feel seen and understood, and I want to feel like, you know, I'm with somebody else who's normal as well, and we just happen to do whatever for our fields are. So that's always been what's important to me, not whether you're relevant or not.
Speaker 1: What's the best place to take Coco on the first date?
Speaker 4: The best place to take me on a first date. I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions, so quiet.
Speaker 1: What can't be the movies cause.
Speaker 3: You would never want to say it by stranger?
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, dinner, I would take dinner.
Speaker 4: I think it would be dinner because one I do like me a good food and a good meal and a good last one.
Speaker 3: Okay, but also it's it's quiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice, quiet, dimly lived.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love candles.
Speaker 2: I like a good So it's like more one on one everybody and in your business like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, for sure, for sure, I definitely like to be secluded and to Also, I don't want.
Speaker 3: It to be like a group thing. I will see who you are.
Speaker 1: So one, what are you? No double date?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: What for a first date? Uh?
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to deal with that because then also if I bring my homegirl and she didn't somebody, Now I gotta hear him to clock his teeth, and it's too much going on.
Speaker 3: I can't be inspected, gain what focus on?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The maskw this fifty fifty? Where are you on the fifty fifty relationship? It's always interesting to hear we had Cheryl and Cheryl like man at the head of the house. I don't care who I am, I don't care what I make. He's the head of the house. Bread winner, No bread winner man, head of the house. It's interesting to hear women younger this. I guess y'all millennials, maybe y'all gen z whatever, y'all, but where are you on this?
Speaker 3: So my opinion to me is that I feel like women.
Speaker 4: Have it harder hormonally, I mean, in the world in all the ways, and so a man will never feel internally what I feel. You know, they're just living their life like it's calling love that for you. So to me, I feel like it could never really be equal because we both ain't going through the same challenges.
Speaker 3: Take the job out of it, you know. Yeah, So for me, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think there would have to be some compensation on both things. I also feel like who's taking care of the house if everybody's going to work, Like, what are the choices? I feel like it may not be completely equal when it comes to the finances wherever that ying and yang needs to come in, Like I don't want to feel like I have to work and clean and cook and be hot and want to be sexy, Like come on now, Like what's going on?
Speaker 3: That's just not fair.
Speaker 4: Maybe in a numbers way, we're splitting things, but I'm going through a lot on the side, So I feel like there needs to be some compensation.
Speaker 3: In that way.
Speaker 1: You okay with the man being the head of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do feel like that is my tea because I do come from like a very southern and very traditional, and that's what I saw, And I think for me, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to do that.
Speaker 4: There's too many on this side in my own career, there's too many questions, too many decisions, too much brain hower going to that that I don't want to also have to do that for a family. No, thanks, no thanks, that that's on you, sir, that's on you.
Speaker 1: Limit. Have you ever.
Speaker 2: Introduced one of your boyfriends to your dad?
Speaker 3: Not? Not? No, no?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 3: What is what am I saying? Corney? Uh?
Speaker 4: Not commonly and not often, only as I have gotten older, and like it's only it hasn't been a lot, right, could not.
Speaker 3: That for be?
Speaker 2: Do they when you said, well, I want you to I want you to meet my dad, do they get nervous because I'm pretty sure they probably googled your dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say it's a thing of nervous because I'm probably picking somebody who has a lot of confidence in themselves because I have a lot of confidence in myself too.
Speaker 1: So speak huh he thinks he thinks he chose you, but you chose him?
Speaker 3: What one when? But yeah? So no, I don't think that they would get scared or anything.
Speaker 4: And also, I feel like I feel like my my choices hold enough respect that if my family happens to meet anybody I'm dating, they're probably like, whoa what, who are you?
Speaker 3: You gotta be good? I just don't. I just don't bring anybody around because it's just not that serious to me.
Speaker 1: We'll wrap up on this new album out What do you want to Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, So Taste my single is out, my video I'm super excited, and my debut album it's called Why Not More, and it comes out on April twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: I'm so exciting.
Speaker 2: Taste is the song the album Why Not More? Miss Coco jokes, thank you, say thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: All my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, Hustle Price, want to slice all my life, grinding all my life, all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, Hustle Price, one side Dot the boll Dies.
Speaker 3: Just work all my life.
Speaker 5: I've got it all my life, assass