Speaker 1: You're listening to the Buck Sexton Show podcast, make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Shermichael Singleton is in the mix with us today. Shermichael and I go way back. You know, I'm from TV CNN conservative commentator. He's a gun guy, so he's a man after my own heart. Uh, and he's doing great, great work these days. We'll talk to him about all all of the above. Let's start with this. You know, I occasionally get to see some fun clips of you on CNN, you and Scott Jennings. I would say standing for conservatism, but really just standing for sanity, I think is a more apt description of it. But what's it like these days? And when you see what the Democrats are trying to do, are they actually turning the ship around away from crazy town or are they just still going right into it?
Speaker 3: First of all, I like I gotta say Buck shout out to Scott Jenny's I mean, I love, love, love Scott Jenny.
Speaker 1: We text all the time.
Speaker 3: I mean I have a group text with a lot of my friends and Scott comes up a lot, and some of my friends aren't even Republican, and they respect Scott like guys respect Scott Jennings because they look at Scott Jennings like this is a guy's guy. And so I just want to say shout out to him because I have a lot of love and admiration for that guy. He's just a really, really good human being, and I really feel honored to sort of be on set with him. He's been at CNN for almost ten years now. I was there for a year, left and now I'm back, and so it's just sort of good to have that space with someone where you have like minded views about a lot of things. To answer your question though about Democrats, it's what Gavin Newsom said, the governor California. It's what Bennett the Senator of Colorado just said recently. I think we're Christen Welker on MSNBC that their party as toxic.
Speaker 1: That is a reality. And they have not learned anything.
Speaker 3: They haven't they haven't gather their thoughts, they haven't paused and said, well, let us recollect and figure out why did we lose Latino men and women, Why did we lose a subset of black men, Why did we lose younger men across the demographic board, and why did we lose even some young women, depending on what poll you want to look at. That they haven't stopped to sort of figure any of that out. And while you have some of these special elections, I think five of them, they may have done that I thought should have gone to a Republican And then they're saying, well, see that means we were right just last year.
Speaker 1: It was just a fluke.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say not necessarily because even in those races, it didn't change the shape of power in the legislature and those two stays, Pennsylvania being one. Then they want to bring a to say, oh, we're going to be a big deal for us. Nonsense, thirty plus our district. Yeah, the candidate there may underperform the president, not because people are pissed, to be quite frank, if you look at the reporter at the Hill, but you're down in Florida, this candidate, I'm gonna be honest, Buck, and I don't know what your thoughts are on this, but in my opinion, he's kind.
Speaker 1: Of been a lazy guy.
Speaker 3: That's why he's gonna slightly perform a little worse than President Trump. Has nothing to do with any other dynamics that the media and Democrats are trying.
Speaker 2: To if I could just be fair, I don't actually know, Randy Fine, we had them on the show recently. But when you think you're in a plus thirty, you know, I'm sure a lot of Democrats who are running in San Francisco and you know, like the northern part of Virginia that's right next to DC, they probably get a little lazy too, and so far as they're like, look, I'm gonna win this thing, right, So that's true, it's tough to get. No. I mean, I've s The point.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to make though a buck is that the way they're trying to create the narrative is like, oh, this person is going to underperform because.
Speaker 1: We're doing so well.
Speaker 3: And what I'm simply saying is that's not the case. And then even in Wisconsin they said, oh, this is another big bell weather. There is a retiring Democratic state Supreme Court justice who's retiring. If Democrats win that sea, they're not replacing a Republican. This isn't some big upset. And the fact that we have spent in total eighty both sides over eighty million dollars in this race if they do win this seat, which I think there's a good chance that they might. The fact that we forced them to spend so much money buck suggests the strength on our side, not necessarily this rebound of Democrats. So I'm pointing out those examples and the other special elections to simply say that, in my opinion, they have not learned anything at all.
Speaker 1: Even on immigration, they haven't learned anything.
Speaker 3: You look at this issue with the signal gate nonsense, and look I have said, and I think everybody said, look, we could have done this a little differently. Even Walls he came out and said, I think a week go said look we could have done some things differently. Here we acknowledge that the era. We're gonna look at it and we're gonna figure out how we're gonna do things better moving forward.
Speaker 1: I respect that acknowledgment.
Speaker 3: But anytime I or even Scott Jennings and I said this on saying in last Sunday say to the Union with Dana Bash I said, if you're going to make a moral argument, people are on to keep looking backwards. Well I have to look backwards, and I have to look backwards because I want to know what credibility you bring to this disposition that you're now for me when you say, oh, this is hypocrisy. It's the worst thing that we've seen in America's history in terms of leaks. And I can't believe that they would talk like this would highly classified information on an app that anybody could download. Yet in twenty twenty one, when thirteen American troops were murdered dozens more severely wounded, no one asked for anyone to be fired Buck And even when one of the president's senior advisors wanted to offer his resignation Joe Biden, at this time, Sullivan said, I don't want to accept your resignation. And so my point simple is if you're going to frame an argument around something, have the moral standing to say, well, this is what we did. We help people to account four years ago, you guys do that wasn't the case. And so again another example to suggest to me as a strategy is that they have anything. And I think whatever elections they may win here or there, that to me isn't necessarily about a resurgence of democratic strength, and not at all.
Speaker 2: You know, our sponsor here is Birch gold and purchasing gold continues to grow with so many Americans because you see, we're going into some tough times with the stock market, and inflation continues to be stubborn, and there's some disruption ahead. I think President Trump is making necessary changes and fixing things structurally, but structural change can come with some disruption. Now's the time to prepare and to take a portion of your savings and put it into gold. Birch Gold Group is who I trust, and whether there's volatility in the markets, knowing you've got physical gold on hand is just giving you peace of mind knowing that you've got assets stored in something that is historically going to hold value. And you can also take an existing IRA or four oh one K and convert it with Birch Gold's help into a tax sheltered IRA in physical gold for no money out of pocket. Get your free info kid on gold by texting my name Buck the number ninety eight ninety eight ninety eight. No obligation, just useful information. Text Buck do ninety eight ninety eight ninety eight and Birch Gold will be there for you. That's who you should go with. What do you think about tariffs? I was just talking about the economy second ago and how that's affecting the Market's a bit. You know, as you and I are sitting here talking, we're twenty four hours away from the big Trump Tariff Day speech. Fortunately not on April Fool's Day, right, I think in the day that they didn't have it on April Fools, So probably not the best day for the tariff speech. So what do you what do you think about this? Because this is one of those areas where even a lot of Republicans who do buy into the Trump agenda are like, look, I love Trump, but why this. I hear that from a lot of Republicans. I love Trump, I love what he's doing on all these things. You know, forget about like I'm talking about like Lincoln Project, fake Republicans, I mean actual Trump support. They get a little worried about this. What do you make of that?
Speaker 3: I get worried before a different reason because I think that's assessment and critique of free trade is spot on. And if you go back to the early nineties, I mean, hell, I was maybe four years old then, so I don't remember this. I had to go back and read and buck your only what and you're what thirty six, thirty seven, so hell you were pretty young too.
Speaker 2: So I'm forty three, sure, Michael. That's just this is just a lot of you know, a lot of self care over many years. But thank you for that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, hey bro, you got good genetings, my man.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: But the thing I was going to make is the promise of free trade was that having these free trade agreements with Canada, Mexico NAFTA in particular, and there are others that we have agreed to over the over the time span, that these things would be a net benefit to the American consumer of the American people generally speaking, because it would lower the cost for a whole set of goods. The problem with that is we have seen over time is that it can letly destroyed a significant sector of the middle class a lot of when you talk about the rest belt, for example, you talk and you look crisis there, you look at and I'm going to bring this up because Democrats talk a lot about the implications of tariffs on communities of color. Well, Buck, there was a significant subset of black middle class that rose out of the manufacturing sector, in part because a lot of black men, in particular in some black women, but certainly black men were able to get good paying jobs for one k's working in those manufacturing plants. When those businesses shipped overseas, you saw the complete erosion of billions of dollars of net worth for white and black working class Americans across this country. And that's why you see many places, a lot of places in the rest belt that are now desolate. They're almost like desert towns. Now you couldn't even imagine that they were once upon a time thriving towns. And so Donald Trump's critique that tariffs can be an equilibrium if you will, to sort of reset and bring at least a quarter of those jobs back to the United States, he's right right, And why many unions who are not traditionally Republican supporting groups are saying, wait a minute here, this would bring back potentially hundreds of thousands of jobs which are necessary.
Speaker 1: This would increase pay for a lot of our union members.
Speaker 3: Where I think the President has to be careful is on that sort of pass through tax will be to the consumers. So when you have tariffs, a manufacturer is essentially going to pass it on by increasing the price of goods. There are a couple of ways that I have been thinking about that I would advise the President Buck to consider. You can look at tax and centives or credits, so the government can essentially offer tax credits or deductions to companies that lower the prices for consumers. If the cost to make goods is going to be more expensive, you can look at subsidies. For example, let's talk about cars. That's been a big conversation. Well, cars are going to be more of up to two three thousand dollars more. You can look at subsidies to lower costs, similarly to what we've done to help reduce the price of electric vehicles, which we're still sort of doing. That's one potential way to not pass on costs to the consumer. And then you have potential pass through pressures pressure, so that essentially would be a tax benefit tied to passing savings onto consumers. An example like that would be rebates or price caps, so companies would essentially be incentivized to lower prices to qualify for these rebates. Again, those are a comprehensive economic strategies that the president could implement to say, look, we understand that these terrors for a little while will essentially increase the price of goods on the consumer. So let us look at taxes, symtoms and credits for companies. Let us look at subsidies lower costs. Let us look at pass through such as rebates and price caps so that the consumer doesn't have to the bulk of that. And so I would advise President Trump but to look at some of those measures, because overall, I think he's one hundred percent right to focus on saying, hey, we have to bring manufacturing back. It's in our national security interest to much of our ship is made in China that is not good for us. And then two, it is good to rebuild the American middle class. Again, not everybody is going to be wearing a suit and tie and c suite. That that has never been the bulk of how people in this country have thrived. So bring back good paying jobs where again a lot of men who work with their hands and get those trade skills for this new burgeoning economy. And so I give the President one hundred percent support. And what he's trying to do, I just think he has to incentivize through the three or four different plans, And I just articulated. So that again, the bulk of that that hurt, that pain is it felt on working class people.
Speaker 2: Let's talking about guns. You're a big gun glove guns love. He loves guns. He loves guns. I don't know if you saw I got. I got to train with former dev Group operator DJ Shipley.
Speaker 1: Can I cuss on your podcast?
Speaker 2: No, but we'll bleep that out.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, man bad.
Speaker 2: That's okay, we'll bleep it. We'll bleep it. But that's a great reaction. Yeah, No, I got the train with DJ. It was do you know DJ? Dj is amazing?
Speaker 1: Of course, I know you kidding me, dude, That's why I said.
Speaker 2: No and weight that's yeah, you've got you do. I'll I know a guy I could put you in. Tell you gotta cause you know you've got your project going now. I mean, you guys should GBRS group. You should definitely do something with project with them. Yeah, So he was amazing. It was, Honestly, I've done I've trained with a lot of different UH operators from the past and including when I was in the CIA. We were trained by operators to be outgoing CIA officers, right, so they would bring in I mean they bring in Marsakuy, Seals, Delta, whomever, and they would run the basic basics of training for us, right, So it was a great foundation for us. You know, they can obviously take you all the way up to far more advanced stuff, but they were it was like, it's like learning how to drive from an F one driver. Like that was kind of kind of how it was in the CIA. I'm like, uh, I was like, you're Seal Team six and you're like teaching me how to or you know, they were Seal Team six and then was yeah, some of them were training me how to do stuff. Anyway, DJ Shipley's amazing. So anybody who wants to train would DJ Yeah, yeah, I would say, go go find a way to get yourself in a GBRS class. They are doing some classes now for the general public and I highly recommend it. Anyway. Tell me about what you're doing though, uh, and what what you're up to now in that space, because I think stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before I get into that, I just I really have to ask, and I've never asked you this in terms of that direct training, what for you did you enjoy most?
Speaker 1: For me, We've had the I've had.
Speaker 3: The opportunity to train with a lot of socom guys doing a lot of CQB. I absofrecinlutely love CQB, whether it's with the team or whether it's my you know, by myself, just learning how to properly pie around corners, learning how to properly engage, learning how to expect the unexpected.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love that stuff.
Speaker 3: It gets the heart flow and the adrenaline pumping it as hard as hell, But I love it.
Speaker 1: But what for like? What for you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What did you love about that training?
Speaker 2: I'm just all it will just you're getting the best instruction imaginable in honestly a lot of the fundamentals which I think people sometimes sometimes people overlook. I mean I spent I mean DJ can sit there and did He'll sit there and he'll talk to you about GRIP. In the middle of a training session, He'll talk to you about GRIP for like ten minutes, just just talking about different and just you know, the level of knowledge. Like I've been around people who are at the top of their game in different things. You're around somebody who's are truly top of their and it's not all theoretical. This is a guy who's done many combat tours and has been in the most kind of real deal close quarters battle imaginable, right, I mean, he's a Seal Team six operator at the peak of the Global War on Terror. I know when I was a CIA what these guys are doing. So I mean he could It's like, how deep do you want to go on the subject? He can go that deep. And so for me, it was really just trying to lock down more fundamentals because look, here's the reality. This is a whole other conversation. But you and I both know most people and these are like a lot of our two way people that we love because they're you know, they believe the right to bear arms. They're doing their part. But for most people going to the range and you know, and I'm not casting any aspersions because I I've seen this and I've been in this situation too. You go, you bring your gun, there's ten people in a line, you know, maybe there's plexiglass next to you or whatever, and you're indoors and you take your gun out and you pop off some rounds and you're focused in on uh, you know, what is my what is my a grouping? Or you know, can I can I do what Mel Gibson did in Lethal Weapon and make a smiley face on this target or you know whatever? Right? And you know with one hand, by the way, I mean, the whole thing was like remember when he was doing the spinning around on the ground and shooting the spinning around on the on the floor shooting the guy, Like, the whole thing so absurd. But I love I love Mel Gibson, I love Leath the Weapon movies. But the thing is, when you go to the range, you do that that is not training you to do anything actually with your gun in any scenario whatsoever. That is the that's I would say, that's that's basic fam that you could really almost get in a classroom without doing live fire, right. I mean, you're really not getting very much out of that experience. You're not coming out of the draw. You're not learning to you know, you're not practicing at speed, You're not you're not doing bill drills, you're not doing tactical religion, right. I mean you and I see your drive, yeah, and so and and so. When you know, when when you start to add in these different pieces, I mean for me, I like, I mean, I love pistol shooting, I mean, look, I've got my I've got my ar here, and I got some fun stuff all you know, hit it up with it and whatever. But I like pistol shooting, and I like pistol shooting based on the you know, rather focusing on the fundamentals and what are the situations in which I would actually have to use a farm to found myself? God forbid I ever do. But I want to be at a place where I know that if I had to, I'm trained. And that's kind of much. Yeah, yeah, that's my thing.
Speaker 1: I love that, bro. You want it to be reflexive, and and again I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Look, I say go to the range for the normal person to get used to the mechanical mechanism and operation of your firearm if it's on your nightstand or if you're carrying it.
Speaker 2: On that's a step one for sure. You gotta you gotta like loaded fire and see what that's like.
Speaker 1: But that's to your point, though, Buck.
Speaker 3: You you have to put yourself in scenarios, and that's why you have a lot of defensive pistol courses.
Speaker 1: You got to put yourself.
Speaker 3: In a scenario to know how in the hell would I react if I'm stressed through the roof, if I'm not thinking right, if there's a lot going on around me, I got to make sure I don't hit an innocent person, if you're being accosting. There's just so many things that goes into training. I highly recommend it. And this, you know, gets into your question you asked, you know what I'm working on right now. So I just launched this new network called We the Free. Obviously big Second Amendment guy, love freedom, freedom.
Speaker 1: Of speech, you know, tied to my right to keep it.
Speaker 3: It's a firearm streaming platform and we're looking at a couple of different things. So we have our gun training, we have our firearms sort of interactive entertainment shows.
Speaker 1: We have action oriented reality shows.
Speaker 3: And then we also have conservative podcast and political commentary. Then we have a weekly gun news show that strictly new news about only and so I would highly recommend your artists to check us out WTF dot tv. That's We are Free and we're excited about this buck because what I realized was one there isn't really a singular place to go if you're a gun person to get highly made curated content by gun people for gun people. YouTube is constantly demonetizing guys. I had, you know, we have a channel on YouTube and we don't even do a lot of content on there anymore because you don't make any money on it, and a lot of the big channels they struggle to make money on YouTube Instagram. Even though Zuckerberg has said that they're going to become friendlier, we haven't really seen that change. And I got to be honest, Buck, as much as I loved the heck out of Elon Musk for what he's doing in his ingenuity, you know X on occasion, and you even saw a couple of manufacturers, you know, have some complaints about this a couple of months ago.
Speaker 1: They still have.
Speaker 3: Some provisions at they need to sort of perfect as it attains to gun content and the monetization of gun content on X. So nevertheless, I sell that to say, we decided why not build something for gun people and for conservatives, people who care about the Second Amendment, who also care about the First Amendment, with a focus really on younger to middle aged.
Speaker 1: Men, because that is what we think will be our biggest demographic.
Speaker 2: When when can I come and shoot with the WTF dot TV folks like I mean, shoot guns while we shoot video, Like, when can we do this? You gotta tell me, we'd.
Speaker 1: Love to film something with you, whatever the hell you want.
Speaker 2: All right, that happened. This will be fun, all right? I got I got a couple of quick quickfire questions because we're we're at time, but a couple of quick fire questions. You only get one pistol for the rest of your life, for the range and one pistol for the rest of your life, well, one pistol for the zombie apocalypse, Like, this is the pistol that you're gonna have to use to defend yourself in every situation, every environment. Whatever. What are your go tos right now?
Speaker 3: I am going to go with the sam Viper by Terran. Love Terran, He's a good friend. I have the sad Viper. I was gonna go with maybe the Chaccato EXL because I really really love the Chacado EXL. It's a beautiful pistol, but the sad Viper, it just runs like a fine tuned machine.
Speaker 2: So that's your range everything, sand Viper Terran range gun. What is your zombie what is your zombie apocalypse handgun? Like this is the one that you.
Speaker 3: I'm absolut frecolutely bringing the Chicago exl. Absolutely, you're talking about what a four and a half inch barrel length, so my great line of sight, huge oversized mag well.
Speaker 1: Great, this is this is funny because I have a trigger grip, I believe.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it sounds it sounds like we're like sponsored by Stacado. Maybe you are. I'm not. I'd love to be. I love Staccato because I was gonna say for me the range gun, no question, my staccato C two. I love that gun. I shoot that gun lights out. It's so fun. It's just like and the problem is when I shoot that and then people like, hey, do you want to try my I'm like, oh no, that peasant tool. I don't think so. But because I know it's a people call it a rich man's gun. I'm like, look, it's expensive. It's a great gun. Yeah, I love it. But from my zombie apocalypse man, and I know people make fun of me, and this is almost it's almost like telling somebody I would have like a snubnosed revolver, like a thirty eight, you know, old school, like a like a detective in the eighties. I'd go glock nineteen man, I just feel like I can. I can take that thing apart and put it together in the dark. I know it will always one. I know what it feels like in my hands. To me, it's like the you know, it's the it's the equivalent of having like a baseball bat with some nails through it. Like it's gonna get the job done. You know, you swing that thing, it's gonna get the job done.
Speaker 3: So I mean, look, Buck, I can't I can't disagree, and I and I gotta add.
Speaker 1: You can always make some adjustments and updates to your glock. You can update the trigger. You could put a different spring in. You could put in different barrels. You can put a sro or whatever they dot you want to put. You can you can put a mag wol on it.
Speaker 3: Also, you can do some stipplings so that the grip is more textured in your hand, which is something I personally prefer. So I actually wouldn't be opposed to a glock.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: They make good guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like I remember Tim Kennedy told my brother. My brother's like, yeah, I got a cold nineteen eleven. He's like, did did you get that with your walker? We were like, oh.
Speaker 1: Dang, talk about shots fired.
Speaker 2: Good heaven shots fired. Like we were like laughing at it, you know when you laugh and it hurts at the same time, I was like, damn shot down. That was very funny from Tim Kennedy. Anyway, all right, man, hey, Shermichael, guys, go go look for him on CNN off obviously follow him on social, but go to WTF dot tv and maybe you'll see you bucking Shermichael doing like the Keanu Reefs thing out at the Tarran Tactical Range at some point, you know. Two definitely, dude, let's do some two gun drills. I'll text you. It'll be fun. Great to see you, my friend. We'll talk soon. Okay, good to see you, Bud.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me, man,