Speaker 1: This is the ott.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Wells and I'm joined by Titan Senior writer editor Jim Wyatt. Jim, I've brought you outside today, not just because it's about one hundred degrees in Nashville and that felt like kind of a mean trick, but because training camp is just around the corner, and this felt like the right place to really get in the mood, really feel the vibe.
Speaker 1: Of training camp. But the heat is also a real thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if we ruin a phil vibe, we can take it out to the fifty, right out and mail the sun. You'll do that?
Speaker 1: No, I sure don't.
Speaker 4: Don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not there yet, and I don't think anybody's really there yet. You can see behind us. They're mowing the fields, they're getting everything ready. There's construction happening around Saint Thomas Sports Park, putting up the tents and the bleachers and all of the things that you see every year at training camp.
Speaker 1: But Jim, can you believe we're really here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to believe, you know these You know, once they finish Mini camp and you've got the countdown to training camp, it always flies by. But yeah, you're right, once you see the tents going up. Once you see the field being painted, the numbers going in, you know it's getting close. More more people in the building now than there have been the last couple of weeks, and we'll be out here on the field next week.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen a training camp that is this hot. I looked at the forecast right before.
Speaker 2: I came down here, and temperatures in Nashville are supposed to be in the mid to upper nineties.
Speaker 1: And that's not heat index, that's like air temperature.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: How do you think that's going to impact the way the Titans are able to work, because it really is, I mean at some points a safety concern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll find out pretty quickly who's in great shape and who's been working. Yeah. I do think because of the schedule, a lot of eight o'clock practices, we're going to really get going and be done by the time the real heat gets gets out here. I think I don't think it'll be that much of a concern. I mean, I think most days it is an eight to ten fifteen practice and then obviously interviews, you know, Brian Callahan will be talking to what people are eating, their raising brand. I think his press conference starts at maybe seven, seven to fifteen in the morning a lot of those days, so they can get going early to get the gay started. I think heat obviously will be an issue for some guys that they have to make sure they hydrate, but I think I think guys will manage. It'll be good for him. I think the real heat will come when we're in Atlanta and in Tampa, because I think there's practice a little bit later in the day and they know heat down there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's hot everywhere, especially in the South. As we're getting ready for training camp and really building up to it.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it.
Speaker 2: You can almost feel it in the building that things are about to get started. So anything different about maybe the vibe or what you're feeling around the building this year than in previous years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think the way Brian Kyleahan approached the off season, more competition, more togetherness, trying to get players to know each other better. I think it's been great, and I think the energy throughout the off season was good, you know, from from the practice sessions to what we saw at the end of practice when they would have competitive figures where guys would work against one another in groups as he divided up the team. So I think the energy has been really good for this team. And I think, you know, Dinard Wilson been in year two, and Nick Holt's been in year two, and and you know, obviously change his own Special Teams John Fossil, the way he's kind of conducted things with the Special Teams unit, I think there's more confidence, more more togetherness, and feels like this team is UH is going to be in a better position as we start camp.
Speaker 2: You know, I had the opportunity to talk to Brian Callahan on the OTP about competition and where that idea came from to really foster a sense of competition and everything they do. And he talked about how competition and overcoming adversity together.
Speaker 1: Really breeds the culture of your.
Speaker 2: Team, and so he was very intentional about doing that during the off season program. What's interesting now is that training camp is inherently competitive because this is where jobs are won and lost.
Speaker 1: How do you think that's going.
Speaker 2: To carry over where yes, it's competition, Yes we're all going up against each other all the time, but we're also trying to create a team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and certainly you know, training camp does bring out the energy and brings out the competition more than any other time because you're putting the pads on the first time. Some jobs are at stake, so you know, I know they always preach about, you know, don't cross the line, don't get into fights. But sometimes when you're in practice and your jobs on the line and the guy against you is is is bothering you? I guess the tide of working with them days in a row, that's when you'll see some scraps happen. But I think they wanted to keep guys keep it in line. Uh, you know, support one another. Like you said, we're all a team trying to work together.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: But nothing like putting on the pads and the heat that will bring out the best in guys.
Speaker 2: Shameless plug If you haven't listened to that OTP with Brian Callahan. He talked a lot about the genesis of the whole idea of competition and some of the other coaches he was inspired by. Be sure to check it out. It was posted just a couple weeks ago, so you're not behind yet. Go check out the OTP with Brian Callahan. This summer Seat Geek has your ticket to the best live concerts in Nashville at Nissan Stadium.
Speaker 4: See Geek has the best seat your seat for an unforgettable summer. From Rock Royalty to Rap Superstars R and B to Country, find it all on seat Geek, the official ticketing partner of Nissan Stadium. Little Caesars is the official pizza partner of your Tennessee Titans. Download the Little Caesars app and get your favorites delivered today.
Speaker 1: Delivery fees apply. Now back to the OTP. All right, let's talk about.
Speaker 2: Some of the position groups that are going to be competing, because there's a lot to watch in this training camp.
Speaker 1: I guess the place we.
Speaker 2: Should start are just position groups that are kind of still up in the air in terms of open spots that are really up for grabs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's the biggest one is inside linebacker. You know, Cody Barton is going to be a starter. I think he's been really good this offseason. Who starts next to him, James Williams, Gray, Otis Reese. I think that's a big one. I think Reese. I think it's between you know, between Williams and Gray. I think throughout the offseason. I'd say probably Gray has the league going into camp, but I say Williams has the league going into camp. But Gray has a chance to certainly win, win, And that's what competition and that's what training camps all about. That's one of them. A lot of other ones. Are you know, who's going to be the third tight end, who's going to be the ninth and tenth offensive lineman. How are things going to shape out in the secondary, and how our guys going to be able to stay healthy? I think what happens at the receiver position, I know we'll probably get into that as well. A lot will hin join how the young rookies do. So I would say probably going into camp, if you've got a fifty three man roster, I think probably you know, GM head coach have a pretty good idea on fifty guys, and so you've got three guys biling for spots and they'll have to proving help on special teams and prove that they're better than maybe a fringe guid. Another position group, Well.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about those receivers a little bit, because there's thirteen in that room right now.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty big number.
Speaker 2: What do guys have to do to really separate themselves from the group. We know Calvin Bridley's going to be a starter, but behind him, there's a lot of configurations of these guys and ways that it could shake out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I mean, I think the only thing you know for sure going into camp is that Calvin Ridley is the one and expect him to be good after that. I mean, you look at Van Jefferson and you look at Tyler Lockett. You figure those guys, because of their experience, would fall in line at being the two and the three. But I don't know that it necessarily has to shake out that way. I think that's where Shimrie d Kay and Elec eelmannor depending on how they do, they could change the peck and gold in that group. If one of those guys is really good and they feel like they can count on those guys early, maybe they move up and are guys that they think they can regularly count on to be on the field as a two or three. So maybe one of the veterans slides back a little bit. We haven't seen a lot of Tyler Locke at the soft season because he was dealing with an injury and had some other stuff going on. He had his first child, So I'm anxious to see what he looks like when camp starts. I think the room certainly probably, I think he's probably been impressed by what is around him, so he knows he's going to have to get after it. After that. I mean, I think Bryce Oliver, because of what we can do on special teams, probably has a good shot to make it. So that's six. All the guys I've mentioned, I think there's potential this team keeps seven. So then you know who's the seventh. You know, Xavier Rostreppo has been really good the soft season, but you've got Trailing Burkes obviously, Jawan Jackson and Mason Kinsey, a lot of other guys that they're gonna be bailing out, and so curiously how that plays out, and health is going to have something to do with it too, because guys get hurt in thisspractice time. Just don't know that I meant that I even mentioned Trailing Burke's so Trey Lin, I mean, we haven't seen a lot of him this off season, comes back from his ACL so does he have one last surge in him to try to say, hey, I'm worth keeping around, and we'll spine that out.
Speaker 2: The numbers are so interesting too, because, okay, so if the Titans end up keeping seven wide receivers, how does that impact some of these other groups and the numbers they're able to keep. And one of those groups is the offensive line that's seen a lot of change, a lot of kind of reshuffling of people. There's new faces in there. But that's another group where you want to have some depth. But who is that going to be and how are those numbers gonna work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the biggest one for me starting off is on the offensive line especially is what is Lloyd Kushianberry ready for King Camp? Is he how much if he's not ready, when does he join the team? How much is he able to do? What Dan Moore looks like with the pads on at left tackle? How Jc Latham you know, adjust with the pads on playing right tackle, had a great off season. Avision mentioned who's behind him? You know, Corey Levin got to work a lot of work at center. I think he's in, you know, good shape to be a backup there. Hants obviously a swing guy who can play a number of spots. Uh, you know, a joke. Wu the team likes him. I think he's versatile enough where he can play some. So that's eight. So then you're battling for nine and ten and you know a lot of guys in that group curious to see how how it plays out rupture as somebody who's been valuable can play a number of different spots, and Mustafer is new and so curiously how some of these some of these play out. And again, health is going to determine a lot.
Speaker 1: Yep, there's a lot to watch for sure.
Speaker 2: While we're talking about the offense, we've made it, I mean over ten minutes, and we haven't mentioned the quarterbacks yet. So this feels like an appropriate time to bring up the quarterback of it all. It seems as though all indicator's point to cam Ward being the expected number one quarterback for the Tennessee Titans. With that in mind, what does a successful training camp look like for cam Ward when it seems like you already know what the expectation is when camp is over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think just him being more comfortable, not making the same mistake twice, not turning the ball over, getting on the same page with the receivers. Yeah, I mean at this point, Cam is expected to be the starter. I think based on what he's done, based on what they picked him, based on his overall ability, I think he's going to be. He's the best quarterback on this team. And now he's just got to go out and build momentum during the course of camping. And again he's got to stay healthy too. But like everything I've seen from Cam, you know, so far, from his competitiveness, to his work ethic, to his no nonsense approach to wanting to be out here every day and if not here in the building early in the morning and working during the off season, I think they just don't want to have any setbacks from him and just want to see his you know, growth, just continue to go on an upward trek.
Speaker 2: So knowing that that is all but secure, what then does that mean for Will Levis? What does this training camp really mean for him as he continues his growth as a quarterback in this league?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think Will has done everything right too. It's a tough spot for Will because this time last year, everybody was talking about him being the starter and what he has to do to be ready for the season, and now he knows that cam Ward was brought Why cam Ward was brought in here? And I think Will's handled it well. He went to California, you know, work with Jordan Palmer. I think he improved his technique and proved his accuracy. I think on the field to think he's been good this off season, but I think he knows that his path is as the team's number two quarterback. Uh so he needs to play well. He needs to solidify that. With all that said, you know, I know other teams are going to be watching the Titans this off season when Will Levis is playing. They're going to be, you know, having joint practices against the Buccaneers and the Falcons and and you know it's not going to surprise me if other teams, depending on what happens across the league, start making calls to Mike Bragan's and Chad Brinker and and inquire about Will Levis. So and you know, I think if you get an offer, you can't refuse. You gotta you got to consider that as well. So Will's playing for his fate on this year's on this team. Uh God forbid something happens to cam Ward. You know, he's got to put himself into a position where he can be the star if it has to be. And also we we can't ignore the fact that, uh, that things happen in this league that uh, that will surprise sometimes. And I'm not gonna be surprised if teams at least are inquiring about him as the season approaches.
Speaker 2: And there's two other guys in that room Brandon Allen and Tim Boyle both added during free agency. What can they do to insert themselves into this conversation and become people who are actually thought of as guys who could be in that number two spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Brandon Allen between those two, I think Brandon Allen is the guy who would if let's say Will EV's not here, brand I think Brandon Allen is the number two. And you know, Brian Callahan has worked with him in the past. I think he likes his makeup, likes his ability, thinks he's capable of being a solid number two, you know, who gives you the better chance to win games if let's say cams out for an extended period of time, that's certainly something you have to consider, I think. But I think Brandon Allen's he just needs to you know, kind of like will it needs to make good decisions. He can't turn the ball over. Got to take advantage of all of his reps. Boil probably reps will be a little bit more imitated in the camp, I would think, but certainly has opportunity himself to stay in a conversation.
Speaker 1: Let's take a minute to talk about you, Jim Waatt.
Speaker 2: Because as the quarterbacks are working throughout training camp, you chart every single throw that happens on these fields during camp. How exhausting is that for you? There are so many footballs thrown during training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have to kind of stay locked in. You know, certainly you can as you know, you can get distracted out here and get into conversations, and so I try to just stay locked in and make sure I'm not missing a throw. I'm trying to keep track of who's throwing it, who's catching it on every play. And then if you've probably seen my wall in the office, I've got everything taped up there that shows accumulative total throughout camp, not only for the quarterbacks, but for the receivers. You know, if they're any interceptions. I keep track with the kicking stats because it kind of helps me looking back to see how guys do you know, obviously guys are gonna have their ups and downs, but it gives me a good idea of maybe what the complete body of work looks like when it's all said and done. So it is a lot of work, but certainly gives me something right about And on a day, you know, if I'm watching the I think the day cam Ward was twenty one out of twenty two during the offseason, completed maybe nineteen twenty passes in a row. If I'm not keeping track of that, I'm thinking he had a good day. But by keeping track, I know how good of a day he had. And and so it's it's certainly a lot of work, but it keeps me locked into practices even more.
Speaker 1: How many pencils are you burning through?
Speaker 3: Burning through some pencils? Yeah, I've burned through. I've have had to buy another box this offseason.
Speaker 1: Get ready I reload the box him?
Speaker 2: It is I mean with it, the amount of things that are happening throughout the course of a training camp practice, whether it be on the field, different position groups going all at different times, different sections of this team working out simultaneously, and just like fans, and there's commotion, and there's music, and then there's every media member who covers this team, and they're all very chatty because we haven't seen each other in a while.
Speaker 1: And so there's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: So I've always been very impressed by Jim Whitatt's stats throughout training camp because it is an impressive feat that you are able to accomplish.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Titans fans, with a Kroger Boost membership, you'll score big with double fuel points, free delivery, and lots more. Go to Kroger dot com slash boost for details. Kroger the official grocer of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 1: Tighten Up Home is the forefront of all we do.
Speaker 4: It's why we're so committed to caring for the places and spaces in which we work and live. Ashley the official furniture provider of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 1: Now back to the OTP. All right, let's talk about this rookie class just a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's safe to say I think that this rookie class is going into training camp with some pretty high expectations.
Speaker 1: Do you get that feeling as well?
Speaker 3: I do you know? Starting with the quarterback, obviously, when you got a when you got a number one overall pick leading the way, certainly that puts a lot of emphasis on that class. But it's not just Cam like Fimmy old Deejo. UH has a chance to really kind of cut some eyes this offseason. Big expectations out of him, expect I think they expect him to be a guy that's on the field from the very start in week one, and Uh he'll have to prove that he's ready in camp. We kind of touched on the receivers, but you know, the rookie receivers, including Rastreppo, UH, bring a lot of attention to this class, and those guys have a chance, you know, especially DK and io manor have a chance to really make a big impact for this team. Early gunner Helm we haven't touched on him yet, but he's another guy and I'm curious to see when the pads come on just how he is able to perform and how he's able to kind of hold up day after day after day. So and I expect him to be able to. So I think there's a really good rookie class, a group that UH that has a chance to have a lot of guys on the field early this fall.
Speaker 2: After watching everybody work throughout rookie mini camp o t as mandatory mini camp. Who in that draft class are you most excited to watch make the transition from the off season program to training camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah? If I say Cam, is it cheating? Obviously?
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously it's got to be Cam. I mean I think he I thought again, I thought he had a great off season. I thought everything I saw from him was good. He turned the ball over handful of times. But I think because it's him taking chances, you know, whether it's in a red zone period or or him getting on the same page if there's receivers. So now, how does he take what he learned from the office season into training camp and build on that and in a large part, in a big way, I should say the success of this team is going to hinge on how Cam is, especially how he is early. So I think all eves will be on him. Once again, if I have to pick a one B, I think it would probably be Fimi, just because again he's making a transition to a different position. He's still adjusting to that after doing that in college. You know, he's looked like he had the pads on out here this offseason because of his size and stature, even though he hasn't so seeing him in shoulder pads and seeing him ready to get after it against some of these offensive lineman when they're padded up, curious see how he does.
Speaker 2: Femmi's the one that I was going to say because of that position change, And I mean that's saying something because I always cheat when given the opportunity.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad you did it for me.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked a ton a ton about the defense, and partially that's because we haven't seen him with pads on yet, and so there's only so much you can do and only so much you can really understand until this team.
Speaker 1: Puts pads on.
Speaker 2: What are you most looking forward to or what question marks do you maybe still have about this defense that you're hoping will be answered once they get pads on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh, And part of it is who wins the job next to Barton. That's the biggest h competition I think on the team. Another big part for me is just how things shake out at cornerback. You know Lugeria Sneid and how he what he's able to do in camp, whether he's able to build some momentum going into you know, the off season. That's that's a big one. Build a moment Log just didn't do much. John Austin, we saw him out here from time to time. He spent most of the time inside and working his way back. You know, does he start on pup if he practices? How much do they manage him? Uh? Because he's going to control the pecking order in that group. I mean, I think obviously in McCreary and Jarvis brown Lee, this team's top three corners. Darryl Baker a good player, gave Judy Lyley I think has made some plays. They've got some other guys in that cornerback group that are gonna be worth keeping eye on. But it all hinges on what Sneed's able to do and how much he's able to be on the field, So that how things shape out at corners. One is there seems like the team's a little thin on the defensive line obviously, like devi Andre Sweat and Jeffrey Simmons and Bass and Joseph Day. But after that, I mean, I think they're still looking for guys to kind of step up and play there. So that's something I'm watching safety feel good about Amani Hooker and Xavier Woods. But Kevin Winston's another guy that we have seen out here, maybe on the side field working. Is he able to work his way into the mix to get himself ready for the season. That's something else I'm looking for out of the defense.
Speaker 2: In summary, Jim Whitett is watching the front the middle.
Speaker 1: To touch all all of the parts.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I did not mention that I didn't touch on edge much other than Fimy Draymont Jones. I mean, he's another guy that, uh you know, Draymond and Arden key Uh that way, I'm trying to mention everybody on the defense, I love it way. Uh well, I don't leave anybody out. But but how those guys do, how that shakes out? Again, I have to expect Femmy to be on the field a lot from the start, and I expect Draymont Jones to be on the field a lot from the start. So Arden is going to be probably more of a situational pass rusher, but the success he has will determine just how much he's on the field. Too.
Speaker 1: If there's anyone you don't want to leave out, it's.
Speaker 3: And thought he had a good offseason I know, and I know coaches praised him for just taking Femi under his wing and kind of uh being a good leader for that group.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, who's a player that fans maybe aren't talking about that you think they should be.
Speaker 3: I think Spears Maybe I haven't missed his name yet, just because he's gonna have a bigger role this year as long as he can stay healthy. Tony Pollard obviously was the workhorse last year, in large part because he had to be because Taija was dealing with some injuries, and I think toward the end of the season he was able to kind of get into a little bit of a groove and show his potential. So I think tai J. Spears is somebody who could generate some buzz just because I thought he looked really good, look fast this offseason and expect him to be very active in camp.
Speaker 2: What's one storyline that you, Jim Wyatt, are excited about watching develop throughout camp.
Speaker 3: I think probably to Andre Sweat and just how he shows up here and what he's able to do in camp. There's no question that he is very talented and when he is playing at a high level, he is he can be great, and we saw glimpses of that last year, but we didn't see it consistently. And I think a lot a lot's going to hinge on just what he's able to do in camp. Hope is that he shows up in great shape, he is able to practice all the way through, They're able to build him up towards the season, and he can be a dominant force this fall. But that's a lot of that's up to him.
Speaker 2: Devandre Sweat is a veteran player that I'm really excited about what he could be able to do in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Do you have a player like that that you're excited about.
Speaker 2: Watching what they do in twenty twenty five and maybe how they elevate their game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Calvin Ridley. And that's not to say he didn't have a good year last year. He caught, you know. I think he had one thousand and one thousand and seventy nine receiving yards. But just him being the leader of that group now, I think he seemed like he's has re energized with cam Ward here. He knows he's the leader of this group now and some young guys around him. So I think Calvin Ridley is a guy who's has potential to make more explosive plays and to be playmaker week in and week out. There were games last year where Calvin didn't get involved in the first half, and certainly he expressed some frustration because of that. I think they need to make sure they they have him and the game plan making plays because that opens up things for everybody.
Speaker 1: Jimmy, what's your favorite thing about training camp?
Speaker 3: I think that just the competition and just the count down to the season. I mean, it's I like watching the off season work, but you know there's going to be a pause there before training camp starts. Now every day when practice ins or one day closer to preseason games and one day closer to the season. So I look forward to camp just to see how some of these battles shake out, and to see who can stay healthy, and to see how this team comes together. As we approach week one in Denver, and you're going to see a lot of optimism around the league, probably here. You know, all thirty two teams certainly in camp feel good about themselves. But I think how things go, how players perform, how camp does specifically, that makes me excited about camp this year.
Speaker 2: That was a really good answer, Jim, My favorite thing is the fights.
Speaker 1: That's last.
Speaker 2: Training camp begins here at Ascension Saint Thomas Sports Park on July twenty third. That is the first official practice of training camp. Now, if you want to know when the open practices are, Tennessee Titans dot Com is where you can go to get all of that information. I think some of them are sold out, so head on over there and check all of it out. If they are sold out, don't fear, my friends, there's another opportunity. July twenty six is Back Together Saturday. It's at Nissan Stadium. It's free to the public. Just go online Tennessee Titans dot Com claim your tickets there. We hope to see you over at Nissan Stadium. That practice is always so much fun. There's a lot of different things going on, fun for the whole family. So come on out to Nissan Stadium. We would love to see you there on July twenty six. For Jim, I'm Amy Wells and this has been THEOTV