Speaker 1: Welcome to a good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're calculating overnight shipping costs on a freezer with an ice packed ACL. I don't need mind, Juju, I'm washed. Take it please. It's Wednesday, March twenty sixth. Then on today's show, we'll be talking to Hailey Salvia and a hockey writer for The Athletic and a co host of the Athletic Hockey Podcast, about why it's still anyone's game as the PWHL nears the postseason, the secret behind Marie Filipulen and Hillary Knight's successes, and her early predictions for expansion. Plus we'll get into that Juju injury. We'll talk about the rest of the women's hoop Sweet sixteen field, the US women's national team gears up for an Olympic gold medal game rematch and use slices and us some colorful language. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, y'all. Here's what you need to know today in college hoops. Will catch you up on the late games from Monday night and the biggest news by far, not just of Monday, but the tournament. USC's Juju Watkins, sophomore sensation and probable pick for Naismith Player of the Year suffered a knee injury with four forty three left to play in the first quarter of the Trojans matchup with number nine Mississippi State. Watkins was carried off the court taken for testing, and it's been reported that she tore her acl. She's out for the remainder of the tournament and will undergo surgery to repair it. It was so hard to watch her go down, and we're sending so much love to her and the rest of the Trojans team and community. This no doubt changes the entire vibe of the tournament this year, and we wish Juju a thorough recovery. After her injury. Number one USC gathered themselves and took care of business against Mississippi State, winning ninety six fifty nine to punch a ticket to the Sweet sixteen. Kiki Eriefen led the Trojans with a dominant thirty six points, the most ever by a USC player in NCAA tournament game, and added nine rebus and two assists as well. Us He moves on to Phase number five Kansas State in the Sweet sixteen up in Connecticut. Number two Yukon beat number ten South Dakota State ninety one fifty seven in Paige Becker's last home game at Yukon. The fifth year senior dropped a blistering thirty four points in just twenty nine minutes a game action, tying her career high for points. Almost more impressive. In the postgame press conference, Beckers had head coach Gino Orimo holding back tears as she got up to leave. Gino joked with us on our show, telling us she never listens to him, but it's so obvious he knows what a special kid she is. It was a really sweet moment watching him try to hold back those tears. We'll link to the video in our show notes. Also, while this might have been Becker's last home game in a Yukon jersey, it wasn't azy fuds. The senior told Friend of the show Alexa Philip Who and ESPN on Tuesday that she will return to college next season and for go entering the twenty twenty five WNBA draft. The Huskies move on to play number three Oklahoma in the Sweet sixteen, and number three North Carolina picked up a fifty eight to forty sive and dub against number six West Virginia. Behind twenty one points from their fifth year senior alyssa Ustby, the tar Heels now advanced to the Sweet sixteen for the first time since twenty twenty two, and they'll face acc rival Duke for the first time ever in the NCAA tournament. Those teams saw each other twice during the regular season, each winning a game on their home court. UNC versus Duke. No matter the sport, you know you want to have your popcorn ready for that one. We'll post a link to the full schedule for the Sweet sixteen matchups in our show notes in Pro Soccer News, The NWSL, Orlando Pride, GOTHAMFC, and the league's players Association all released statements on Monday condemning the use of hateful language toward Pride forward Barbara Banda during Sunday's match at Gotham's Sports Illustrated Stadium. Per the NWSL's statement, the league and Gotham FC are working together to investigate the incident and dole out consequences as defined through the NWSL's Fan Code of Conduct. Per Gotham's statement, stadium security directly addressed the individual responsible for the language and monitored the situation for the rest of the match. Also, club leader reached out to the Orlando Pride on Monday to apologize for the incident and reiterate its support of Banda. This isn't the first time that Banda, a cisgender woman, has been on the receiving end of abusive comments. In November, after helping Orlando win the NWSL title and being named World Footballer of the Year by the BBC, she received transphobic attacks from author JK. Rowling, among others. The league didn't issue a statement at that time, and in an interview with NPR's All Things Considered earlier this month, Commissioner Jessica Berman said the league learned from that and is committed to doing more to support Banda and other players moving forward. In international soccer news, the US women's national team released its twenty four player roster for the team's two April Olympic final rematches against the Brazilian national team. Biggest takeaway from the roster, one third of Triple Espresso is back Trinity Rodman, back in the fold after missing the last four training camps resting injuries. She rejoins the squad for the first time since the Olympic gold medal game in August of twenty four. Also of note, Houston dash defender Avery Patterson has earned and her first senior US women's national team call up, and among the other players called into the team goalkeepers Jane Campbell, Mandy McGlenn, and Fallon Tullis Joyce, all vying to become Emma Hay's new go to after the national team retirement of Alyssinare. They'll be joined by one more keeper, training camp player, Angelina Anderson of angel City FC. The US women's national team faces Brazil on April fifth and eighth, just outside of Los Angeles and San Jose, California, respectively. We got to take a quick break. When we come back, we're dropping the puck with Haley Salvian joining us now. She's a staff writer for The Athletic covering women's hockey and the NHL, and she's one of the hosts of the Athletic Hockey Podcast. She has the cutest little pop bono, and she likes to eat ribs on the ice. She's a Canadian and frankly, we're jealous. It's Hailey Salvian. What's up? Haley?
Speaker 2: Why what happened. What do you mean just you know, we'll get to it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I first want you to explain what exactly is up with you and Julia Tosherry who was a co host of Jackson Jill who we had on the show, and the ribs. I was clearly creeping your instagram. There were lots of comments about ribs on the ice and now we need to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so glad you brought this up.
Speaker 2: Because we were covering the PWHL playoffs. It was the first round Toronto versus Minnesota last year, and we go into the media room and there's usually a media meal. It's like five bucks, ten bucks, whatever you go when you get your food before the game, and it was barbecue ribs, and she and I both had this moment. It was me, Julia and Christina Rutherford does an amazing job at Sportsnet, and we all just kind of sat there bibs on, eating the ribs, and Julie and I had this moment of like, this is such a safe space, Like if this was in the Leafs media meal room, like if this was an NHL playoff game, Julie and I were like we would have walked in seen the barbecue ribs and like walked right out, like it's fine, I'll get the press box popcorn for dinner or something. But it was just like all women in there, bibs on barbecue sauce, everyone on a bone. I feel so safe eating these ribs right now that I don't even care that there's sauce all over my credential.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a real bonding moment for us girls on the screen.
Speaker 1: I am just brief aside. I think we've all been here. I went to a restaurant by myself in Miami when I was there for a work trip, and I ordered this side of corn that I expected to be like a low tast style off the cob, and instead it was like just a full cob. And I sat there at a bar across from like a bunch of people at a pretty prime like six thirty ish happy hour happening spot, just like gnawing on this corn cob alone, thinking like, there's got to be a better way this is not.
Speaker 3: Was it good at least?
Speaker 1: Oh? I mean it was delicious. Great? Who cares? Then you got this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: True, I'm so used to eating alone on the road. It's it's fine, everything's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's corn is a weird one. Eating a banana like you have to break it off in your hands. You can't just deep throat a banana in public. Certainly not Okay. So you're one of the few reporters that write about the PWHL. That's why we're having you here to impart all of your knowledge. What would you say is the biggest challenge of being sort of relatively alone on a beat.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think one of the challenges that I have found covering this is that and now, like journalistic integrity and like making sure your sources are vetted and everything is very very important to me, regardless of if I was the only person or the tenth person, twentieth person. But there is this sense of like, if the athletic is chiming in on something, it's going to mean something.
Speaker 3: So you're almost like relishing in.
Speaker 2: The opportunity to drive conversation and push narratives that you think are important. But then there's also like a responsibility with that. So you have these moments of am I making something too big of a deal? Is this the right story to be doing? At the right time is how is this going to be perceived? So like the time of things and like the importance of posting things like that's not lost on me, yea, because I've heard that from folks of like if you're going to say and this is a thing for me, like I have the like I don't think of myself that way, Like this has just been something that I've been told is like if you're going to say it, or the athletics going to say it, it's going to matter in a different way. And that's like a weird thing for my own self esteem to hear. I'm just like, no, that's crazy. But that is something that I've had to internalize when we're trying to decide like what stories to do and how to approach certain things. And it's not so much like the sourcing because I would always want to get things correct, but there is like almost a responsibility there coming from like one of the bigger mainstream media companies weighing in on something.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this on the show in the past. It's not just are you following sort of journalistic principles in terms of asking questions, getting answers and reporting what was said, it's how does it operate within the larger context and new of the space in which you're working, and when you know that you're one of the few larger brands and outlets covering something and that what you do cover and present is going to have an outsized impact on how people see a league, or a player or a person Like it's important to think about that whether or not that's an extra added pressure for you, which it is, that's just sort of the reality of the situation right now. How do you balance being fair or even critical when it's necessary with a sort of understandable desire to help grow the league's fan base and viewers. You're covering something that you care about that you want more people to care about, both for your business and your job and getting paid, but also, you know, because you'd like to see it do well. How do you balance that desire with I also need to criticize things when they aren't right.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I think is so great, at least when we're talking about like from a player perspective or player performance, team performance. I've actually gotten feedback from like coaches, players, gms like if you think I made a mistake here, say it like we need to get past the point of just like being like everything's great, it's great, woohoo, we love this.
Speaker 3: Like I've had a conversation with.
Speaker 2: A GM after the draft which we had on CBC.
Speaker 3: I do some TV work on the panel for CBC.
Speaker 2: Sports, and they had said to me, like, if you think I made a bad pick in the second round, I want you to feel comfortable going on TV and saying GM X made a mistake here. Now, I want you to back it up. I want you to have a reason for that. I don't want you just saying like this GM stinks. Be smart with it. But if you feel I did something wrong, say it because we're not going to groan and we're not going to move forward in the ways we need if everyone's just saying like flowers and daisies and rainbows. And I think from the league building perspective, you know, being able to be like critical of what's happening in the league is going.
Speaker 3: To be a really important piece of this.
Speaker 2: Like it's you know, I always think of the NWSL as such a great example when you know, Meg Linihan and Katie Strang had their big explosive report on everything that was happening in the NWSL for years in terms of you know, just harassment and poor treatment of players was you know, for so long women's soccer and women's sport have felt like, well, we can't speak up because we don't want to hurt the league.
Speaker 3: We don't want to hurt the game. We're all trying to grow it.
Speaker 2: But I think everyone's kind of knows now that the way to grow the league is not to just be quiet on matters that need to be spoken on. So that's a thing for me, Like, when something big like that happens in the PWHL like that is going to be on me to and other media members to like accurately and fairly report on those instances, because the league's not going to grow and get great if we're just covering up any kind of misconduct.
Speaker 1: I think, well, I'm just curious because you know, the league's single owner format sort of might affect how teams or gms or coaches interact with the media. There isn't the same like rivalry with other clubs, and perhaps less willingness to comment or react to controversy with other clubs or stumbles by an opponent when you've all answered to the same ownership, and I think in nascent women's sports leagues there is more of a feel of a rising tide lifts all boats, let's all support each other, which is great. At the same time, do you find it hard to get honest appraisals about opponents for things other than what's on the ice because they're all beholden to the same boss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly on the record.
Speaker 2: Like I'm sure there's like gms who have their whispers of things that they don't love or things that aren't happening. I will say the one thing I heard from like every team that I've been able to speak to, is that like when Push came to Shove last year, there was always a card on the table, like if issues popped up, like the owner was putting the money down to fix it or scale with it, which was so great to hear because that's always been the issue and women's like professional hockey is the resources and the pot of money just was kind of non existent relative to what we're seeing now. But I do think the single entity ownership model is really interesting and it's it's I'm curious to see how it's going to grow and change. If they move away from that, what kind of issues do start to crop up because we have things like gms making trades or signing players, drafting players. You know, the New York Sirens are last in the league.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: They have two of the best players in the world on their roster, certainly one of the best and the number one pick in Sarah Fhilier, and their last in the league again. But when you have a single entity owner, like that's just going to be the owner deciding is that what's best for the league to let a GM go or let a coach go? Do we keep them in house? It's not the New York owner saying, oh, right, that's enough. We need to have in a different direction. So I think those are things that are going to be interesting in the long run, for sure. I think in the early days it's been good because of that single pot of money, like everyone just has the resources to get started. They didn't have any kind of bureaucracy with six different owners when they were trying to start a league in six months of owner saying well, no I want this or no I want that. That was almost required to get this league started as quickly as possible. But I think as the league grows and changes. That's one of the big things that I'll be tracking in the PWHL in the next phase is how that single entity ownership model kind of grows or changes and impacts things.
Speaker 1: I want to get to some of the teams, but I want to ask quickly what your take is on how the league in the media have handled a couple controversies. There was, you know, disruption in the front office of the Minnesota Frost right after they won, and I think maybe more importantly, we haven't heard a lot about Frost player Britta Curl's social media activity. Prior to being drafted. She issued an apology for liking anti transposts COVID nineteen vaccine conspiracy is a post sharing a not guilty verdict for Kyle Rittenhouse. We haven't really talked about it much since the apology. Do you think the league in the media have handled that situation? Well.
Speaker 2: I think this is one of the instances with Brita Curl where the league itself is in this space where they have obviously decided, like anyone can play in this league, right, they didn't take a hard line and say Brita Curl is not to be drafted because that's where the owner would come in and right, Whereas in different leagues, maybe you have an owner in one market saying nope, that doesn't jive with what we want, whereas this is a single entity owner. And obviously it was decided that she was eligible and a team did draft her, and I did speak to all teams. I didn't speak to all six general managers, but I did speak to all team sources, and it was my understanding she was not on any teams do not draft list, So Brita Cral was open and available to all these teams after that social media activity was posted after she had the apology, and you know, she's been allowed to play in the league, but she's also been booed in every market she's played in. I think there's almost been instances of fans watching her get like big hits from opponents, like there are people who are not fans of what Berta Crole like said, or what she liked on social media and some of the tweets that she did share herself. But this is something where the league, you know, they have to balance this like allowing everyone to play in the league with all also understanding that they have players and fans who are in staff members, who are part of the LGBTQ plus community like they have. They just announced last week there are pride celebrations. There are unity games across all six markets. The Minnesota Frost are going to have a Pride game, and how are Minnesota fans gonna respond to that? How is the away team, the Toronto Sceptors, if they have fans in the building, how are they going to respond to that? So do I think that.
Speaker 3: The league and media.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting you asked this question because these are not even things that I've written about. So in that sense, like Britta Curl hasn't faced that much scrutiny from the league because she was drafted and there's birthday posts and she's on the league's marketing and media members like me haven't exactly jumped into this and said like, here's what's happening with Brita Curl. So it's just a different, a different world in women's hockey right now.
Speaker 1: Well, we're seeing it happen across different spaces, and I think it's indicative that it is not an easy answer, whether that's Hannah Hidalgo and basketball, whether that's Corbin Albert in soccer, whether that's Britta Curl in hockey. Like, when you have someone existing in a space that is beyond just sport and stands for inclusiveness and diversity and all these things that are such so at the root and center of women's sport, it makes it far more complicated than on the men's side. It's not an easy answer because you also, I would not agree with saying ban them from the league either. I don't think that that's I think that's a really slippery slope. We got to take a quick break when we come back more with Hailey Salvion. You know, I just moderated a panel with a couple of PWHL execs out at the Wiser Conference, and one of the things we talked about backstage as we were talking about promoting the league and the players was teams starting to form identities, finding authentic rivalries, establishing some tradition and culture. Obviously, just the second year of this very young league, so much of falling in love with a league and team and players is understanding and learning the lore. And there isn't much lore yet, but I'd love to hear if there's any team culture or tradition or style or attitude that has emerged in this second season that really stands out. Not every team, but like if there's something that you're like, this is what we expect when we go to this place and it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say one that does stand out is Minnesota. Like that is that's like the state of hockey, and they have a lot of local players on that team. They're hard to play against. You know, Taylor Highs eleast deckline, Kelly Panic. You have like these Minnesota legends playing for that team and they have their own very unique identity. A lot of US national team players. I think Toronto stands out. They have a lot of Team Canada players. There's six forwards I think from the Toronto Scepters on the Team Canada Women's World roster, plus a defender and a goalie. So eight players that are going to be playing for Team candid Worlds or on the scepters. They're head coach, their GM or the head coach and GM of Canada. So Toronto is kind of like the Team Canada team in curator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 2: You know, they almost have this perception of like if you want to be on Team Canada, go sign in Toronto. That's been something that is That's one of those criticisms that has kind of popped up off the record from some gms, like that's a thing that gms don't love is like, how are we supposed to compete with that? Everyone wants to be on the Olympic team, so everyone's going to pick Toronto. I don't necessarily agree with that perception, but I get it. I get why people feel that way. So Toronto is like the Team Canada hub for sure, and that's a really competitive team. They have a ton of skill. Troy Ryan is a very very good coach. That's a well coached, well put together team. Ottawa is one of the interesting ones because I've heard I was in Wisconsin doing a big story on the Badgers before they won their national championship, and I hadn't really known this until I went, but Mark Johnson, the legendary head coach the Badgers, has been this mentor for Carla McLeod, who's the head coach in Ottawa. So now I'm totally seeing and understanding like the style and why they play the way they do because Mark Johnson's whole thing is like we recruit elite players, go be elite players. He'll give them like some roadblocks or ways to play, and then they just go and decide what they want to do in the moment. And you definitely see that coming through with Ottawa. They are definitely more of like a free flowing, puck possession team, but Carla also has them playing like very very physical, hard brand of hockey. One of their players was in the first ever fight in the PWHL. She also, like you know, she's one of the top scorers in the league and also one of the top penalty minutes leaders in the league. So Ottawa's definitely has like a very strong identity and brand. I also think Ottawa has like almost like the Ottawa Senators in the NHL.
Speaker 3: They almost have a bit of the like Little Sister Sin.
Speaker 2: Not to say that like they necessarily feel that way, but like they don't get a ton of national TV games. They are the third best Canadian team in a six team league Montreal as Poulin. The De Scepters are like Canada's team. You know, Darryl Watts, their star player, left to go sign in Toronto. And so even though Ottawa had the best average attendance last season. The Charger almost like this quote unquote forgotten team that has really strong fan base. So that's one thing Ottawa's very interesting to me. And then I would say this New York Sirens are just kind of like chaotic. I had mentioned that before. They have Sarah Phillier, they have Alex Carpenter, Abby Rocks on that team.
Speaker 3: She just scored the first Michigan goal, and yet they're six. So there's just like a lot of like chaos to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, we like it. We like to have some of these like stories to tell ourselves about the teams as we're watching. It helps us kind of frame things. And then that can always change. But let's talk about mantra. You mentioned with Marie filiep Puhlan leading the way at the top of the standings for most of the season, what needs to happen or what needs to stay the same for them to stay on top and win it all.
Speaker 2: So I've actually started having more concerns about Montreal in the last couple weeks than I have all season. They've seen their lead in the league standings get a little bit smaller as Toronto's playing really well. They're doing their annual rise up the standings. They start very poor and then they end up being unbelievable when it matters most except in the first round last year they ended up losing to Minnesota, but in the regular season they end up doing really well towards the end.
Speaker 3: In Boston's been one of the hottest teams in the league.
Speaker 2: Montreal, what I liked about them early in the season is they had a.
Speaker 3: Lot of depth.
Speaker 2: Some of their new additions were scoring and adding offense from the middle of the lineup, and now they're starting to turn into the Mary Philip Puhlen and Renee Debien show again, which is fine.
Speaker 3: That's great. You have the best player in the world playing some of.
Speaker 2: Her best hockey still as I think she's thirty four years old, forgive me if I for at the age correctly there.
Speaker 3: And then ann Rene de Bien, you have one of the.
Speaker 2: Best goalies in the world who did get hurt two weeks ago, which leaves a question mark there for their lineup. But their offense has started to stagnate a little bit. If it's not Pulen or Laura Stacey or Jen Gardner who's been there kind of frequent top line scoring there hasn't been that much consistency there.
Speaker 3: So I've actually started to get a little bit worried.
Speaker 2: About Montreal because we know that when the depth offense dries up in Montreal, things don't go super well. They ended up losing in the first round of Boston last year because Poulin and Stacy Snake bitten. There's Snake Bitton, who's scoring nobody. They lost in the first round.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Minnesota Frost that you mentioned. They struggled during the regular season last year. They finished fourth out of six teams, only to turn it on for the postseason ended up going on to win the inaugural Walter Cup. Is the biggest challenge to Montreal the team in second, the Toronto Scepters, or potentially another team that's sort of lurking further down the table Frost style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because I I wonder if the Minnesota Frost are going through what they did last year.
Speaker 3: They started really hot.
Speaker 2: It took until like six, the sixth game of the season for them to lose in regulation, and it's been quite up and down in the middle of the season for them.
Speaker 3: This year, they were just on a very long road trip.
Speaker 2: So I do wonder if now they're going to be home at the Xcel Energy Center, are they going to start piling wins together and get into the two three spot.
Speaker 3: Again, Ottawa is.
Speaker 2: Only two points back of them, so maybe that like pesky team that people love to forget about, it's going to make a run and kick the reigning champions out of the postseason. They have a game against New York on Tuesday night tonight, so we'll see what happens there. Will Ottawa get into a playoff spot, will New York get eliminated from the postseason. There's gonna be a lot going on this week. I think two of the teams that I am watching other than Montreal is Toronto. They are surging up the standings. They are healthy for the first time this season. Their number one goalie, Christin Campbell, is starting to get her game back.
Speaker 3: She was the Goalie of the Year last year, had a terrible start to the season. Like I'm not going to sugarcoat it. It was not great.
Speaker 2: But Natalie Spooner, the MVP of last year's back. She's healthy. She's starting to get her feet under her. Sarah Nurse, who was on LTR like right when Spooner came back. Is awful timing. They get Spooner back and Nurse goes on LTR.
Speaker 1: She's back LTIR long term injury reserve.
Speaker 3: Yes, I apologize, yes, long term injured reserve.
Speaker 2: So Sarah Nurse is back, Spooner's getting her feet under her scepters are healthy. Kristen Campbell looks like the goalie of the year again, so they're a little bit scary. But the Boston Fleet, as I mentioned, are the hottest team in the league to me right now. Hillary Knight is Hillary Knight again. They have arguably the best goalie in the league. I think Anne Renee Debien statistically speaking, takes that number one spot. Her numbers are unbelievable. But Aaron Frankel is like the MVP for the Boston Fleet, and she was like the reason they got into the postseason into the finals last year. Boston and Toronto. I'm tracking more than Minnesota right now, and that surprises me, Sarah, because I thought Minnesota came into the season.
Speaker 3: As the favorites to.
Speaker 2: Win it again because they won it last year and they got even better adding a player like Britta Curl.
Speaker 3: She's offensive, she's a good two way player.
Speaker 2: They get Claire Thompson, the Olympic record holder for points by a defender in a single tournament.
Speaker 3: They got better.
Speaker 2: So that's why what's happening in Minnesota is like a little interesting, because I thought they'd be better.
Speaker 3: Than they have been in recent weeks. But like I said, maybe that's just because they've been on the road and tired, and.
Speaker 1: It sounds wide open. You're like, who could who challenge Montreal? Pretty much almost.
Speaker 3: Everyone, everyone except for New York except for New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's fly through some of these. The beginning of the month, there was sort of the final third of the season, just starting when you did some award predictions, including your picks for the Billy ge and King MVP Award. At the time you had Marie Feleep pull out of the Victoire Kenda, Cooin Schofield of the Frost, and Alex Carpenter of the New York Sirens. Are those players still leading the way her as someone emerged to take over that one of those top three spots.
Speaker 2: I'll still stick with Poolan for the winner, just because as she goes, Montreal goes, and I don't know if you can find anyone else who's like that in the league, maybe other than Frankel in Boston, So I would actually I would probably One of the reasons I kept Carpenter as a finalist was how New York started playing poorly without her, but like they've still been playing poorly, so no, but maybe they're still not playing great unfortunately, So I would probably give.
Speaker 3: Carpenter the boot.
Speaker 2: One of the Toronto players that I said was an honorable mention I believe was Daryl Watts and Hannah Miller were not of Fast, Like there's some Toronto options that should be in and around that.
Speaker 3: Hannah Miller and.
Speaker 2: Daryl Watts, they're two of the players that made Team Canada for Worlds. For the first time they've been a dynamic duo together.
Speaker 3: I didn't have.
Speaker 2: Miller as a finalist last time because she has a ton of power play products, but Hower play counts too, So I would probably put one of Miller or Watts in that conversation, maybe even run out of Fast. She's one of the best defenders in the world and I think I had her for a Defender of the Year. Yeah, I would stick with that, but she would probably get some MVP looks too, because I think if she was missing, I don't know how good Toronto would be.
Speaker 1: Should I be surprised? I have to see Hillary Knight on that list you just mentioned. She's back doing Hillary Night things, leading the league in points and she had her first PWHL hat trick on March fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she should be in that conversation now, for sure. I think she started like she was already playing better when I did that story, But I still felt that Aaron Frankel was like the person for the Fleet. But now when you look at how many one goal games Boston's been in and one and their GM told me this when I wrote a story about Hillary, It's just like when you have somebody like Hillary Knight scoring the way she is, that is the difference maker on so many different nights for the Boston Fleet. I think she would absolutely be a finalist.
Speaker 3: For either MVP or Forward of the Year.
Speaker 2: The way that she's playing right now, she's been It's been nice to see her playing right right anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, for sure, we know last year that she was injured. She wasn't specific, she said it was a foot thing, but she played through it, you know, understandably didn't want to miss the inaugural season of the p WHL. She's been one of the biggest names and greatest players in hockey for such a long time. It felt right to have her out there, even though she didn't look quite right. She had six goals at eleven points all of last season. She's already at thirteen goals and twenty six points this season with another month plus to go. How different does she look? And does she look like peek Hillary? Like we shouldn't even worry about her aging because she's She's who she was before the injury, I.
Speaker 2: Would say, and she even said this to me, like she has not hit her peak on what she can do as a pro hockey player yet. And that should be so scary for anyone outside of Boston, because this is Hillary Night coming in after not being on the ice until August. This is Hillary Knight with a short off season, like she's healthy, but she didn't really train all summer, and that should be scary for you know, any other team. That should be scary for Canada with the Olympics coming up, Like, if Hillary Knight.
Speaker 3: Stays healthy, she has a full off.
Speaker 2: Season now, then we're going to see her in the PWHL and the twenty twenty six Olympics at pure one hundred percent, right, I think it's been As a Canadian, I'm.
Speaker 3: A little frightened.
Speaker 2: We do have Mary Fopoolan, I'm all right, but Hillary Knight and the biggest moments, like she's scary, especially when she's one hundred percent, and I think it's been great to see her. She's getting into her spots, she's skating better this year, she's getting open. She has linemates who can get her the puck in the slot, and we're seeing that like quick release and the different ways she can score. She's scoring on the rush, from the dots on the doorstep. You know, she's always had this natural ability to score goals, but she's always worked.
Speaker 3: At that too.
Speaker 2: I think that's one thing that doesn't that always comes up when I talk to people about Poolan and Night is however much you think they work at their craft, it's more yea. And it sounds like a cliche when you hear like, oh, they're always doing.
Speaker 3: That extra rep.
Speaker 2: They are, and it's not really a cliche when it comes to them, because they're doing the work and that's how they're in their mid thirties and still they're number one and two in goals in the PWHL right now.
Speaker 1: Amazing and it mays been so great to see you mentioned Canada USA the Olympics. But before that, we're going to get the World Championships, and I want to talk about that in a minute, but first let's talk the aforementioned US Canada relations that that we touched on at the top of the show. Given the current political climate, and we are sorry, by the way, do you have a sense of whether the PWHL expects that the current US administration will impact how it can do business, whether that's in terms of expansion, whether that's in terms of players who are playing in the US from Canada on some sort of work visa, being concerned about going back and forth.
Speaker 2: I've asked the league about this, and they're kind of in the same boat as everyone else, which is like we're all kind of just reading and watching and trying to see what's going to happen next and what's going on. They didn't have any kind of official comment at the time that I asked, which was during Four Nations when all that, you know, was really at its peak. The Four Nations face off, I mean for the men's the kind of NHL tournament. So I haven't gotten anything like official from the league. In terms of expansion, I always kind of assumed that they were going to go to two US markets just because the US dollar, and you know, because Stan Casten had said to me on the record when I did a story looking ahead to year two, until we get like a proper TV deal, we're not going to really hit our next stride. And I think when we talk about a big TV deal, we're usually talking about a US TV deal. So how do you get on ESPN, T and t NBC whatever That looks like it's with big market team. So I did always kind of assume that expansion was going to be two US teams. We don't totally know where that's going to be yet, but that's been where I've been trending. I don't know if the political landscape has changed that it's more just the dollar in TV markets, But in terms of visas and such, I haven't heard anything from league officials right now, but I do know that this is something that the league has been tracking just like everyone else, just like.
Speaker 1: The rest of us, just watching everything. Burn I mentioned the World Championships IHF Women's World Championships early April. Team USA Team Canada rosters both recently announced. You wrote about both of them. Expectation of late is for Canada to win. They've won four of the last five major international tournaments, including the Olympic Gold in twenty twenty two. Three state rivalry series, but Team USA is always their biggest challenge. They won this World Championships in twenty twenty three, and dating back to nineteen ninety, every single World Championship final but one has been Canada versus the US. This is a true long standing rivalry. What is Canada's biggest area of weakness?
Speaker 2: Oh, right now, I would be concerned about their goaltending Emerald smash Meyer, their typical number two goalie is on long term injured reserve for the Ottawa Charge, so she's not on this roster. And Renee de Bien, as I mentioned, did leave a game hurt and there hasn't really been any update, and all I've kind of heard is like she should be Like the fact that she's on the roster tells me that she should be okay for World Championships.
Speaker 3: But if de Bien is not okay, for Worlds.
Speaker 2: That's when I start to get concerned because then we're looking at Kristen Campbell, who's typically the number three. She has gotten her game back, but she's not really well tested in a you know, gold medal game for Team Canada, that's always been Debien. She's only ever lost one championship game against the Americans as Canada's number one goalie.
Speaker 3: So if de Bien's not healthy, that is my.
Speaker 2: Biggest fear, because then Canada also is bringing, you know, a young twenty one year old Eve Gascon, who is like potential goalie of the future. You bring her in, maybe give her a game against a weaker opponent, or just kind of insulate her and show her the rope so that when she becomes the new number one, she's been there behind Deben.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 2: But like that goalie picture scares me a little bit if Anne Renee Debien is hurt, because she's typically been the one who takes down the Americans.
Speaker 1: If the US are going to come out on top, what do they have to do well?
Speaker 2: Ooh, they need to find some like consistency against Canada. I've found one of the big things about Team USA is like everyone looks at their roster and quite frankly, it is more exciting than Canada's. Canada's roster is usually pretty much the same. You've got Poolin at the top. You have the great third line with Blair Turnbull, Emily Clark and Laura Stacey. They're good at four checking. You have a grinded out fourth line. Your dpairs are tough like Canada plays, you know, NHL Championship like grind.
Speaker 3: It out good to a hockey.
Speaker 2: Whereas the Americans have all these young stars. You have Kirsten Simms, who was the complete stud at the championship game right.
Speaker 1: And college championships yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the University of Wisconsin, you have Leyla Edwards, Caroline Harvey, Lacey d and Abby Murphy.
Speaker 3: Like all these young stars from.
Speaker 2: The NCAA who are so fun and exciting to watch as individual players, but sometimes so Sometimes they can come out and beat Team Canada and they dance around them. They look way faster, way more fun, but like when it matters, they haven't been able to get it done.
Speaker 1: A machine ends up winning in the end without the holes in it versus the splashy but a little bit more erratic or less consistent. It's going to be fun as always. That is always an incredible rivalry and we look forward to that in early April. Do you think the mood changes at all at PWTL practice or games as the championships approach? Obviously we've talked to players about how it's harder to hate their hated rivals when they have teammates from that team now in the PWHL it used to be so insulated, but now they're around them all the time. Is there any chance it gets a little bit tenser or people are tighter with what they share as we near the championships.
Speaker 2: I feel like the players are good at almost just compartmentalizing it, like until you pack your bags and go and then you you're in the USA or Canada locker room. Then it's like I don't mess with you anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, now you're wearing the wrong shirt. Yeah, like now you're the flip.
Speaker 2: They're good at flipping the switch for sure. But then when they go back, like I think the Olympics will be different because I've talked to players before, because the rivalry used to just be like there was so much hatred they wouldn't even go in the elevator together because they didn't know each other, right, But I almost wonder if the way the rivalries changed is harder because in twenty twenty six, you're gonna come back from the Olympics and you're gonna like sit in the locker room next to somebody.
Speaker 3: Who just like achieved their dream and you didn't.
Speaker 2: Like that is going to be where not that World championships don't matter, because they do, but post Olympics is going to be where I start to look at the teams. You have a lot of Canada and US players and be like, what's going to happen here?
Speaker 3: That's going to be challenging.
Speaker 1: The old elevator analogy feels like a good one for life. Let's just put a whole bunch of people that are really things up right now in an elevator and tell them to get to know each other so we can stop having these terrible, terrible interactions between our country and the rest of the world. Okay, last question for you. We just had Nicole Hosey on last week College Hockey Writer, and she talked about the lack of centralization for the Olympics, potentially to like some national players that are still in college maybe declaring early. So do you think there is a likely number one pick for the PWHL draft, And do you think that any players with eligibility left might make a decision that will shake up who the number one pick is.
Speaker 2: I actually wonder if players will stay in college because there won't be centralization just because they'll be in their training facility earlier. Like, we don't know when the PWHL season is going to start yet, but if you don't get to market and start playing games until November, you're already on college campus in August, right, So I almost wonder if you're going to see the Lacey Edens and Abby Murphy say like, well, I would rather just be at Wisconsin or Minnesota for those several months before games.
Speaker 3: That's going to be interesting to see. I think if Abby.
Speaker 2: Murphy declares, she will be the first overall pick, unless it's like a Canadian team with a bunch of Canadians who are like, I hate her guts, Please don't because Abby is the only player right now who brings that old school hatred back. Players do not like playing against her. Canadians hate her. But I do think a lot of coaches and GMS would love to have her. So if she declares, I think Murphy would go first. I almost wonder if Abby Murphy's just waiting to see who gets the first overall pick before she declares, because if she doesn't like the location, she's like, I'm going to go back to Minnesota. Yeah, that's just me assuming how Murphy's going to handle this. If it's not Murphy, it's going to be Casey O'Brien, the Patty Cosmier winner. That is the player of the year for women's hockey. She had a historic season for the Wisconsin bad Way all around center. She could be a one see for a team who doesn't have one, or an elite kind of two ced tandem to have a really great top six. She can score goals, great playmaker.
Speaker 3: If Lacey Eden she's on.
Speaker 2: The Badgers as well, if she declares, I don't think she would go first overall. But that is a player who will be an excellent pro. She's someone who probably flies under the radar for Wisconsin because we're always talking about Casey O'Brien, Caroline Harvey, Leila Edwards, Kirsten Simms. Those are the top of the lineup stars. But Lacey Eden is she power She can PK, she can powerplay, she can score. Really great two way player who's going to translate really well to a more physical pro game.
Speaker 3: She's someone to watch.
Speaker 2: She would be a great later first round pick if she declares. But I think if it's not Abby Murphy, it's Casey O'Brien. Unless someone really wants to defend her, then maybe Haley Win. She led Clarkson in scoring last year. But I don't think you should overthink it. Just take Casey O'Brien all.
Speaker 1: Right, to decode for those who weren't keeping up. Their one seed would be a top line center, so the center that plays with your best line, and then a two se would be the center for your second line. And if it's really great, possibly one seed that's actually playing in the second line. Then that just really strengthens that second line of players that you're sending out. Okay, we're gonna have to have you back because you could tell us all the things and more things about hockey that we don't know yet. But this was so great and a really great refresher for us as we're getting into the final month or so of the PWHL season. So thanks so much. For the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry for I ramble, but thanks for having me. I loved it.
Speaker 1: We love a good ramble about hockey. We have to take another break when we return. The Yukon Huskies women's basketball team makes a move that we could all learn a little something from. Welcome back slices. It's time for second Chances Week. One of the women's college basketball tournament is in the books. How's your bracket looking. Here's some good news. DraftKings is giving everyone a second chance to win some cash, because sometimes even when things look really totally busted, there's still a glimmer of hope. And you know who really needs a glimmer of hope. Not to mention a second chance Me because my bracket is busted, Nah, because my picks suck. Not exactly see what happened was my mom asked me for help filling out her women's bracket for work, and I told her that I hadn't done mine yet, but I know quickly speed through and send her screen grabs of my picks for the Elite eight on, reserving the right to update and change my picks before I lock my bracket in, and then, in a flurry of activity around interviews, show recordings, just like life. I forgot my brain, just like registered, having done it after I sent the picks to my mom. So every time I sat on the show, don't forget to get your bracket in. It went in one ear and out the other. Didn't register at all. You you dummy, Sarah, get your picks in. So yeah, I'm not even in my own bracket challenge, so don't go looking for me in the leaderboard slices. I blew it. But the good news is DraftKings is giving everyone a much needed second chance, or in my case, kind of a first chance to remedy things. And after seeing how some of the top teams have played so far and with the Juju injury, I see the tournament looking a little different going forward. So let's look at just a couple matchups. In the next round. Number two Yukon honestly been demolishing everything in their path. They take on number three Oklahoma, and they should cruise in that one in my opinion. Number one Ucla, the story is the same as heading into the tournament For me, who can handle Lauren Betts? And I don't see an answer to that question. In number five Ole Miss, Number four Maryland definitely gonna have a little buzz coming off a double overtime thriller against Alabama. But I thought they already looked tired in that game, and I think they could struggle to sustain effort across four quarters against a tough number one in South Carolina squad that's been beaten up on the opposition. So I'm taking South Carolina. I think number two TCU will give number three Notre Dame a run for its money. And while the late season losses from the Irish have scared me, I just I don't see the combo of Hanna Hidalgo and Olivia Miles coming up short. So I've got Notre Dame in a tight one on that one. Agree with me? See it going differently? Head on over to DraftKings dot com slash second Chance and fill out your second Chance bracket for free. That's DraftKings dot Com slash second Chance. For every entry into the second Chance bracket, DraftKings will donate a dollar to the Women's Sports Foundation up to twenty five thousand dollars. DraftKings dot com slash second Chance only on DraftKings, the crown is yours. Okay, Moving on, and I gotta say you, folks, you are hilarious. We asked you to give us alternatives to the common phrase balls to the wall, and I had a lot of faith in tits that the turf as being untoppable, but Slices you topped it. You did not disappoint so quick remind so I suggested in a previous show that balls to the wall might be a phrase reserve for men. And though we have since been informed that it's actually about an over text engine something about balls hitting the walls of a cylinder, we still wanted to hear your female and non binary versions of the phrase. And they're just they're so good. So Slice Pamela started us off strong, emailing gotta be either mound to the ground or foof to the roof. Slaice Alyssa chimed in as well with Although often associated with men, taint is a colloquial term for the perineum, which is the area of skin and muscle between the vulva and the anus. So taint to the paint and for good measure, hood to the wood. Slice Chris said, nips to the nets. And it's inclusive, as most of us start with nips. I think most of us finish with nips too, but I'm not going to get into anyone's personal business. Uh. Slice Andrea said this was a great get in the gay. I was having so much fun with tits the turf, I decided to involve my team for a fun brainstorm. As expected, they did not disappoint the results. Kouci to the court, Pussy to the pitch. We also asked ai and the only one we liked was Fallopian full throttle. First all, Andrea, I don't know where you work, but I want to work there. If your fun team brainstorm at work is helping us with this challenge, then there was sliced Dana. Dana, you really took the cake with your list. Listen, I gotta read this list in reverse order because it gets progressively wilder and less PG if I do it in reverse. So Queens to the greens, heels behind the wheels, dirt in the skirt, all grit with skirt slits, pigtails on the trails, ponytails to the rails, Cat to the mat, pussy to the pavement, skirts to the courts, Labia to the laminate, and Vulva to the velodrome.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't with vulve to the velodrome. Honestly, we should put you in the Good Game Hall of Fame for these responses. Dana just absolutely chef's kiss. In fact, your list reminded me of one of my all time favorite SNL characters, Kate McKinnon's recurring character in the Alien Abduction sketches. And she's always like landing out of the spaceship ass up and has all sorts of different names for her undercarriage. And I googled the list to find some of them, and I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to share them. My Harry and my Scary Coot and Maprune Shoot Cooter and my Tutor Pleaser and my Cheeser please hold on my cheese hole Squeeze Master and my cheese Blaster Front and my grunt Beard and my weird Smile and my vile Stuffer and my puffer please hump It and my cheese trumpet fun Bun and my mud gun Lucky I'm a Yuckie East and my Beastie Jackpot and my black Spot Lady Pocket and my gravy Rocket Pink Pocket and my stink Rocket Hog Socket and my log rocket hog Taker and my log maker and my grassy Knoll and my gassy hole. I hope you guys were driving with your kids for that. It's too good. I'm sorry, it's too Kate mcannon, by the way, please come on the show. We all love you so much. Be our best friend. Please. And speaking of best friends, did you guys see that Amy Polar has a new podcast called Good Hang Hello. The universe is practically begging for a crossover episode Good hang In, Good Game, make it happen. People, And by people, I guess I mean, do any of you know Amy Pohlar in a sup Okay, okay, I digress. Thank you to everyone who sent a submission for that. Now we got our own little dictionary or at the Sourus or whatever of excellent options to choose from. I think I'm starting with Volva to the Velodrome. We always love that you're listening, but we love it more when you get in the game. So here's our good game play of the day. Follow Hayley on social media. We're going to link to her profiles in the show notes. Read all of her work. It's great stuff, and make sure you tune into the PWHL. The regular season's inching closer to its conclusion, so if you haven't seen or attended a game yet, get on it. We'll link to the league's full schedule in our show notes, and don't forget to subscribe. Rate and review, y'all, It's really easy. Watch Page Becker's and Yukon's women's basketball team holding it down for Jana l Alfi during Ramadan, rating five out of five high fives, butt slaps and fist bumps. Review. Beckers, who has opened about her belief in God and the Bible verses that drive her, got up on Sunday before dawn to cook breakfast for fellow Husky and practicing Muslim Jana l Alfi, so that she could break her fast for folks who aren't familiar. During Ramadan, Muslims abstained from food and drink during the daylight. So per The Connecticut Insider, Becker's has been waking up for her roommate on most mornings for the last few weeks since Robadin started on February twenty eighth, and Husky teammates Caroline Ducharme and ali 'sabelle have also attended El Alfie's early morning breakfast throughout the sacred celebration. Sophomore kk Arnold has already signed up to be el Alfie's morning mealmate next season. El Alfie told The Insider, quote, I feel like I'm blessed and grateful to be surrounded with this group. It's a really, really special group. She continued, quote. I think I wouldn't have done it or made it this far if it wasn't for my teammates. End quote. Now, slices, you might have figured out by now that I'm not really a religious person, but this, right here, this is yet another reminder that no matter what we believe with regard to faith, we're all human. We can all support each other, respect each other, and look out for each other. It's acts of kindness and letting the world around you know that you care. I can really make waves in this world. So good on ya, Huskies. In order Kainak would be rate and review us. Yeah, you knew what I was going to say. Thanks for list, Danielle, see tomorrow, Haley, good game, yukon Women's soups h you yet again, over and over and forever. Acl tears. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart Women's Sports Production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Britney Martinez, and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain