Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where the AFC South is sick of your Thursday night football jokes. They've graduated. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm here in the Chris Wesley podcast studio and really excited to welcome in a first time guest two NFL Daily, a man that lives in the American South. It's Trevor Sikkhima, co host of the NFL Stock Exchange Show. You know him from PFF. Excited to see what he's doing next in his career, but had to have you on. Trevor, I am ready and I'm sick of like the the you know, Texans Jags. This should be Thursday Night in week three jokes like this is a good division now, the AFC South.
Speaker 2: I agree, I definitely agree with you one. It's great to be with you, man. I appreciate you having me on the show big fan for a long time, so this is really cool getting to be on the program with you here.
Speaker 3: But I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think we need to put the bad Thursday night football you know theme for the for the AFC southast side. However, let us never forget the mustard Thursday Night football Jaguars Titans game that happened. I don't like a decade ago or whatever. Let us never forget that, but the rest of it we can move on from.
Speaker 1: It was it was always the Titans in one of those games, and it was always in the World Series window where they would like do the lesser games because they would know it was going up against games right six alcs. It's like, I saw what you were doing, schedule makers. But you know, look Thursday Night Football AFC South, that's when we got that huge ninety nine yard Derek Henry run. We've got I think some Super Bowl Championship contending teams in this division. I think this could be a three playoff team division if you're just joining us. In terms of these division previews, we put twelve minutes on the clock for every team. We got different categories, and we're gonna start with the Houston Texans. I haven't told Trevor the order or anything like that, but I did give you the category. So I'm gonna let you get us going and start with what's bringing you joy when it comes to the Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: I mean, how can I not simply say everything that goes on with the defensive side of the football. I mean what de Migo Ryans has been to that team. Just the identity, the excitement, the passion, and also the production. When you look at this team in twenty twenty five, this is via ngs second in points allowed, fifth in yards per play, fourth in rush yards per game, eighth in total explosives allowed, second in total EPA, first in EPA per play, seventh in total sacks. I mean, just no matter where you look a lot of times because in the salary cap era, a lot of times like, hey, you can't have just studs, wave after wave of players on all three levels of the defense.
Speaker 3: But it just feels as though the Texans do.
Speaker 2: And it feels like whether it's been their free agent editions, whether it's been their high draft picks, whether it's been their low draft picks, and maybe some of the guys who were afterthoughts in free agency, they've got a really great continuity right now between the front office and the coachings have to get the most out of all of these guys. So what brings me joy is that this is one of the most talented defens in the NFL and can absolutely be the best defense in the NFL in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree, and I'm parking my car in a similar garage. And it's more just about the secondary if you think about you know, Kamari Lassiter, Kaylen Bullock, Derek Stingley, and Jalen Petrie that I'm just going to give you the ages of the of the four twenty three, twenty three, twenty five, and twenty seven. It just doesn't happen. I mean, those are all all Pro caliber players. Stingley's there, Lassiter when we did our All Pro team, our friend Olli Connolly had him on his I think second team, maybe first team, like Petrie one of the best nickels in the league, and Bullock gets kind of overlooked. And to have them all together at the same time, we honestly haven't seen anything like that since the Legion of Boom, So it's really rare. It's really special. And you know, just to throw some numbers on it. When they get pressure, and this is the team that gets pressure more than anyone give up one point six yards per play. That is just totally ridiculous, and the NGS numbers support you. It's they'd have the highest tight coverage rate when they do get pressure. So it's everything. It's the combination. It's football. Obviously, it's always not one thing, but those four guys specifically, and you're adding reading blanket ship to that mix, who I think will help them out. Just being that young, it just doesn't happen. This is the dream for team building. You're super into team building at the NFL Stock Exchange and like, this is the dream and you got to give Demico Ryans and Nick Casario some love, dude.
Speaker 3: Here's a perfect example.
Speaker 2: Kylen Bullock is a player who I watched him with scouting him when he was coming out of USC. Phenomenal single high cover one, cover three type of safety where they just let him play that center fielder role and let him be a ballhok.
Speaker 3: But there were.
Speaker 2: Negatives to his scouting report as well. Right didn't love to tackle when he was coming down to fill the run. He just really wasn't a presence. He really wasn't reliable, And in the scouting report it reads he's got to go to the right, He's got to go to a spot where the coach understands exactly what he does well and has a scheme and a spot where you can mitigate some of those weaknesses Texas is the Texans are the perfect spot for him.
Speaker 3: They truly are.
Speaker 2: So that's again going back to what I was saying with Casario in the front office, being just step for step with the coaching staff of exactly the type of players they want to bring in. And I'm glad that you shouted out the secondary anyways, because I almost just picked Jalen Petrie as the thing that I was the most excited about that gave me joy here is just Jalen Petrie because I just love washing him play.
Speaker 1: Well. We do have to move on, but quickly. Like what makes you love Petrie the most.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's the freedom and the confidence in which he plays. I mean when you play defense at the NFL level, specifically the nickel position, which I'm always fascinated with as somebody who scouts from college to the NFL. What makes an elite modern day nickel Because a lot of times, if you get that position right, it's like getting tight end really right on offense. It just unlocks so much fun were you and everything that you could do. And I feel like the confidence which Peatree plays with it, it does that, it unlocks so much for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's incredible and we did a very quick all underpaid team on our last show, and he was my pick. And in terms of the defensive back, like, they compliment each other so well. And I guess I'll go to our next category, which is you know something schematic scheme dream and it is related to the defense. We'll hit the offense soon enough. But the thing I like about this is that in this age of specialization, they blitz less than anyone else. They are ultimately kind of simple. They literally didn't have a snap Trevor this according to FtM Fantasy, that they had six defensive backs on the field. They're just gonna put their five out there. They have virtually no defensive back sacks because they don't blitz. They don't sim pressure at all. One percent is the lowest in the entire league. Thirty first in blitz is like and yet it all works and it does take you back and it reminds you like execution, playing fast. There's not just one way to do things. They are anti trend in the NFL, and yet they're the best defense in the NFL and something like that. I love, you know about that, It's like like we're losing recipes. You could play a different style of football, and Dimiico Ryans is showing it. So that's kind of my schematic. Look that I really love about this team is that you don't need to get into that other world as great as these players are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll get to the offensive side with my scheme trend, but just to touch on a little bit of what you were saying there, a lot of times the trends that we follow in the NFL, they're out of necessity. Right again, we play in the salary cap erow where it's so seldom that you're really able to just out talent somebody at the pro level. And for this Texans defense, they are I mean, they win with four. They don't have to blitz their secondary, they don't have to go to dime looks all the time because they feel good about the chemistry and the communication and the talent of everybody around them. So it really is just it's so fascinating to see the Texans play because they really are we're gonna line up against you and we're gonna be better than you.
Speaker 3: And it's just sometimes as simple as that.
Speaker 1: With the Houston texts and and some and one thing, Seth Painwood point out who covers the team, and I think this is something doesn't mean they're not incredible coaches, because they are great at the detail and the development of these players. So it's just like a different way to do things without being as you know, show me as some defensive coordinators are all right, give me your scheme dream.
Speaker 2: So the scheme dream for me with this team, and I think it goes into another category that we're going to talk about here in a second time. We only got twelve minutes, it's all good, okay, okay, So this this sort of goes into you know, what happens if things go wrong for this team, and it has to do with the power run game. You know, those man and gap scheme between the tackles rush concepts, which it felt like this team wanted to be a little bit more of a zone blocking or a zone rushing type of a team at the beginning of the season. But then when we're Marx was kind of coming in and he was really becoming that most dynamic and feature back that they wanted to be. Felt like they were having a little bit more success with the man and gap scheme run blocking concepts, and I think their offseason leans into that. Wyatt Teller, Keelan Rutledge, ed Ingram, Braden Smith and even Arianta Ersirie who could do a lot of his own blocking stuff for you.
Speaker 3: But those are mallers, baby.
Speaker 2: Those are guys who are going to get off the ball and try to push the lion scrimmage at least one in two yards before the running back even approaches and gets to where he is even with them. When you look at an mgstat that I saw from this group, Marx had eleven explosive runs on those outside the tackle run concepts last year. Now, that's designed to get you into space, so okay, like that kind of makes sense, but only four when he was rushing in between the tackles. This team has to be better between the tackles. The rushing yards over expectation was much lower for this team overall last year. Ye when they were trying to just run it down the middle, run it between the tackles, and if they cannot run the ball effectively in the power run game between the tackles, that's a major weakness that I have for this team. They were fourteenth in total rush attempts lash year, but they were bottom five in yards per carry. A big reason why is because those rushing yards over expectation was so much lower. It was not a dynamic run game when it came to running between the tackles.
Speaker 3: So it's got to be more fishing.
Speaker 2: It's got to be more dynamic, and I need this scheme to really be able to run down the middle of the field and in between the tackles if this offense is going to fire on all cylins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't change offensive coordinators, so it's a little bit more of continuity. You mentioned some of the new offensive linemen there. They do have depth relatively. Trent Brown is battling for Braden Smith. With Braden Smith at right tackle, you have your former starter at center, Jake Andrews is now more of a backup. You have your former starter at one of the tackles, Blake Fisher more of a backup. So they are set up better early. You know, signs in camp have been positive. That can be misleading, but yeah, they need to help out CJ. Stroud. That's where I'll hit you know, the their offensive line not coming together all the new pieces, it's just being more the same as also, what things could go wrong if you know if they just don't come together. But in terms of the scheme, Look, they put a lot on CJ. Stroud's play last year. Jordan Rodrieg talked about a few weeks ago on the show, and I think it really helped him setting protections. He avoided sacks. They want to do a little more two tight ends this year with the draft pick of Marlin Klein and everything.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't we can exact for literally everything right.
Speaker 3: Sem at this point, but the get heavier.
Speaker 1: Right to me, it's kind of that balance of maybe asking him to do a little less in the second year in that system, whether that helps him out because that Patriots like system and the kind of combo systems that they did, it's asking a lot of their quroducts. We got to move to our most important non quarterback. I threw Daniel Hunter in there. Look, they gave him a one year, forty million dollar contract. He is the man. He is breaking the usual age charts when it comes to the edge. Signing to Devian Clowney helps give them more depth at the position, but they sort of count on him being elite, elite and man. He just has stayed there a year after year and so it's just him staying there, so he stuck out to me, Ursuri would be another option on the offensive line. Who do you have as the most important non quarterback?
Speaker 2: So you know, if I were to go with like one player, I think that Jayden Higgins is one that I would point out just because it elevates a lot of times when we talk about like, hey, who's the most important? We talk about like, hey, if this guy doesn't show up, then a lot of things fail.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 2: If you want to hit the ceiling of this offense, Jayden Higgins is going to be the way that you do it because you're hoping that David Montgomery can be a little bit better in the power run game for you now that he is there. Obviously, Nico Collins is one of the most talented wide receivers in the league.
Speaker 3: You touched on it.
Speaker 2: If the offensive line doesn't work, none of this works anyways. But the true ceiling of this offense, in my opinion, runs through Jayden Higgins and that second year bump that he could have. And it seems as though he could absolutely do that because Nico Collins was talking him up pretty good earlier this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so far in camp his development has been a big story. He is probably their wide receiver too. You know Noel is injured right now. I'm excited for Tankedll to play football again. I think if Tank Dell is your sure three or four, like you're you're happy. We had Dalton Saltz on the show and he's a reliable guy. He was absolutely crushed and you know about how last season ended, but he's not going to be going crazy. I think, Higgins, you're right in terms of getting to the ceiling and I kind of like we stayed away from the Stroud talk because we've hit him a lot on this show. I believe in him and if everyone's better around him, I think he is going to be better. And that kind of gets to the ceiling floor of this team as we wrap the Texans and yeah, the ceilings is winning the Super Bowl. I think they are absolutely one of the real deal contender in the AFC. And the thing I really love about where they're at right now, and like these horns, they're suggestions. Trevor, you're new to this, Okay, we're just gonna blow right by. You did a good job just ignoring the one minute warning and everything and just keep talking you're a TV pro. They I think people forget, like, what a crazy rebuild this was. They won ten games combined in three seasons. They were one of the worst teams in the history of the NFL over a three year period, and they were so good in CJ. Stroud's rookie year that the expectations got so high so quickly. And they've gone division round, division round, division round. They've gone ten, ten, twelve with wins. But to me, I think they really were their best version of the team because of the defense last year. It feels like they've been stuck, but I don't think so. I think it's all been building to this moment, and I think it's rare in today's NFL that a plan comes together like this. And I do think this year is a little different with the secondary, with where CJ's at, with some of the depth on the offensive line, and the talent that like now's the time, Like I love seeing it all coming together like this, And I don't feel like this is a team that's stagnated. I think it's a team that's been slowly building to this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the schedule sets up pretty well for them as well like the ceiling that I have, Like, hey, a thirteen and four type of a team, a Super Bowl champion type of a team for me. And the reason why is because I think you look at their road schedule. The road schedule is decently easy this year. Sure you have the divisional games, but then it's like, okay, yeah at Los Angeles with the Chargers, that's going to be somewhat difficult. But then you really don't have to play tough road games until a Week sixteen is at Philadelphia. Week seventeen is week Green Bay. But the rest of it's pretty easy. You get a bye week in the middle of Week eighteen. So I feel pretty good about about this team. I'd say that thirteen and four is kind of the ceiling. Floor I think is nine and eight, still right around five hundred, a little bit above five hundred. I just think the team and the defense are that good. So that's the floor and the ceiling for me.
Speaker 1: With this team, things would have to go really wrong for them to not make the playoffs. In my mind this could be a segment later, but I have a short list of teams where I would be truly surprised if they didn't make the playoffs. It's probably only four to six teams and they would be on it for me. So let's move to a team that I would be surprised if they do make the playoffs. It's the team that's in the middle of that rebuild I talked to that the Texans went through. It's the Tennessee Titans. I will get us going. It's just cam Ward what's bringing me joy. I don't know. Did you watch Quarterback the show on Netflix at all? I didn't yet. It wasn't a homework assignment. I didn't really watch it. I didn't think it was great the first two seasons. This season was better to me, in large part because of cam Ward Man. That's a guy you would want like running your team, a guy you just if you're in the NFL you're rooting for. Like he's so serious about his craft and wants to be great, but also is so generous. The way that he handled losing, in terms of his motivation and everything around him, it was pretty remarkable. I usually don't get bowled over by these reality shows because they show you what they want to show. But whatever intangibles you're looking for from a quarterback, like he's He's just got it. You can't fake that. It's all there. And then when you think about him as a player, he plays with joy. It's just such a loose game where he's so comfortable back there in the pocket. He's too comfortable. I don't know how you viewed him as a prospect, but you know, like his clock needs to speed up, speed up, And I love an accurate quarterback. He just wasn't accurate enough last year. But he showed you a lot of really high level things. The variance is through the roof kind of like we thought for him as a prospect. But man, I don't want to go out Tim Tebow on you, but like the intangibles are so good. I think that if he can continue to get better at the basics of it all, that really raises his ceiling. And as like a transformational guy, he's bringing me joy. I am a cam Ward fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like a big part of talent acquisition, especially in the draft, is making a bet. Like you're betting on guys, right, I mean they haven't played in the NFL yet. Sure they play in college, but what are they in the NFL? And you've got to be able to bet on these players their talent, but also who they are as people. And when you look at cam Ward, everything that I heard about him in the pre draft process, and then the people I know who are in the building in Tennessee as well as covering the team, I mean, everyone thinks that this guy is the guy that you take a bet on, that you invest in. I ended up giving him a second round grade overall as a prospect, but that's so much more because of the turnover issues that I had with him, whether it was the interceptions or specifically the fumbles, which he really continued to struggle.
Speaker 3: With last year.
Speaker 2: But all that to say, given where the Titans were and given what the draft class was, I still would have taken cam number one overall, like I still would have had him as that option, because you got to pay one a little bit of a quarterback tax, right. Just because the quarterback has the second round grade does not mean he's going to be a second round player, and a lot of times that's not the case. You're looking at what these guys could be, So it makes sense to invest in a player who approaches the game, the work what you need to do to be better. All of that, the talent is there for Cam Wood and I am.
Speaker 1: I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I'm very, very excited to see what he could do this year, specifically because of something else that we're gonna mention heat another segment.
Speaker 1: I know I want to I want to get to your joy, but while we're talking Cam, I want to just kind of close the loop there, Like, schematically, how do you think he fits with Brian Dabel? They gave him a lot of weapons. They signed Wandel Robinson to a contract I think was totally fair for like a two slash three, which is going to be Calvin Ridley is still around in practicing with the first team. You have a little bit of depth there with Elecio Manner, who's I think can be a solid NFL player as your three. You have Carnel Tatus as your one. Like how do you think he fits with what Dabel wants to do, because that's that's the one where Dabel's a bit of a shape shifter. But I don't know. I'm a little worried. Personality and schematically how that all works together.
Speaker 2: So personality, like who knows right? I mean, like these are two guys who could like get in the same room together, and these guys are fiery competitors in both of these people and Brian Dable and cam Ward, and it can go one of two ways. Right, if it's going well, I think they're gonna be the best fans in the world, and they're gonna be a bad boys. They're gonna be right in their motorcycles and their sunglasses into the facility together every morning. But if it doesn't go well, you know, obviously we'll start to hear about it and all that kinds of stuff. But I don't know if I'm messing up with the graphics people. Hopefully I'm not, because this goes straight into like my scheme dream and the most important non QB for me. The most important on QB is Carnell Tape to me, and it's because it's the vertical offense, Like we have to get more of a vertical offense in here for cam Ward. Brian Dable has done that in multiple stops throughout his coaching career, whether it has been in college or in the NFL, So it is something that he has done before, being more of an offense that pushes the ball deep down the field. Because when you look at it from last year, he's from mgs again. Cam Ward thirteenth in deep passes okay, which are passes of more than twenty yards last season, seventeenth in deep completions okay, but just thirty fifth in deep pass percentages total. That to me tells me that one the Titans were down on the scoreboard, so you know, when it comes to the second half, hey, they're chucking it deep because they got to do so to try to come back in these games. But more so, just that vertical passing was not really a staple in what they wanted to do in the offense. And yet the numbers would still tell you it's what cam Board is good at. It's what he was good at when he was at Washington State, it's what he was good at when he was at Miami, and it's what he could be good at in the NFL. I think Brian Dable and I think the rest of the coaching staff has got to see that as well, because it's just what he has done so well. So to me, that is the scheme dream is let's get more vertical and let's use the guy that we picked in the top ten, who was the best vertical wide receiver in college football last year. Who was in the draft in Carnell Tait. All that mixes together and kind of what I'm excited for the scheme to be there in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Look, they're throwing Carnel Tait into the deep end. He is gonna have to be their lead guy. I know you were obviously high on him coming into the draft, as most people were. Any such a unique talent in that like he's not a burner, but he gets opened deep and You're right, cam whether the guys were open or not, whether it was in rhythm and like what the play called for or not. He's throwing it down there, and that's part of the reason why I'm so excited to watch him. I've put you, I've thrown you into the deep end, kind of like Carnel Tait with this format where it's just like it's different sections. We got a hit a timer, but I do want to know what's bringing you joy, like first and foremost for this team.
Speaker 3: So obviously you hit cam Ward.
Speaker 2: I think he's the obvious, but to me, it's what Robert Sala has done to create these waves of pass rushers in Tennessee, which was so so so needed. When you look at what they were last year. Obviously, Jeffery Simmons is a stud in and of himself. But you know, you signed John Franklin Meyer, you signed Jacob Martin, You signed Jordan Elliott, You drafted Keldrick Faulk, you traded for Jermaine Johnson, you traded for Solomon Thomas. Right we're talking, You've got Famiola dejo in there as well, to see what he can develop into with this coaching staff. Vo we're talking about waves of pass rushers, waves of defensive linemen that you could stay fresh and do a lot of different things with. So to me, I think that this will allow Sala, who is one of those defensive.
Speaker 3: Coordinators and head coaches.
Speaker 2: I guess I should just say defensive minds that likes to win with four kind of the way that we talked about with the Texans, and he hasn't always had the defensive line to not blitz as much as he doesn't want to blitz.
Speaker 3: But I think for Tennessee, it's a nice.
Speaker 2: Year one group for him to stay true to the scheme that he wants to be able to run. Because I think that that's pretty big for first year head coaches coming in when the roster doesn't really fit exactly what they want to do schematically. Yet sometimes you see like a lot of headbutting in terms of like what guys are good at versus what they're being asked to do. I think it's going to be a little bit more streamlined than it normally is for a first year head coach because of what Saula has been able to do acquiring those defensive line talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good group. It's a deep group. They've added a lot. It was clearly a priority. I still do wonder if there's enough one on one juice, Like is Keldrick fault that guy as a rookie, Jermaine Johnson a good player, does he have that juice? You have Jeffrey Simmons who is going to be a force multiplier and help everyone else out. But it does feel like a lot of good depth and a lot of like bees versus a lot of like blue chip talent. I'm gonna flip to my most non important non quarterback on the team and mention j C. Latham, who oh yeah, Like, look, they drafted him as a top ten pick and now they're just hoping he can be a decent starter it's not even a lock. I don't think that he is going to keep that starting job. But they don't really have great options. There was some buzz of like he might have been available in a trade, and this is I think the weakness of the team. You know, when you give that much money to Dan Moore at left tackle and you have a high pick at right tackle and you're one of the more lackluster tackle duos last year, that really needs to change or it's it's not going to matter, you know. And even the interior other than Peter Skoronsky, on paper doesn't look like an amazing group, and so you're hoping the coaching helps here, but they could really use J. C. Latham to develop into a into a plus starter.
Speaker 3: No, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: That's that's my things go wrong if with this team is they have to figure out the offensive line. And as a draft guy, I was so shocked that we weren't talking about o line for the Tennessee Titans more at number four.
Speaker 3: Overall, I think cam.
Speaker 2: I think Cornel Tage is going to be great for them for what they want to do again getting more vertical in their offense. But Peter Skronsky is the only offensive lineman that I could tell you with full confidence is going to be there two years from now, right, I think that all four other starters you have no idea, and that's JC Latham included. And anytime that's the case, man, I just have a hard time really passing over offensive lineman in the draft, especially when you got a high pick.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you.
Speaker 2: That goes into my things definitely go wrong for this team if this offensive line can't be a lot better than what they were last year.
Speaker 1: And their fans will point out they're excited about Carmen Brisilla, who's with Dable, who did a pretty good job I thought with the Giants last year, and he's replacing Bill Callahan, who in one of the Goats as an offensive line coach but didn't really make it. Capa didn't work in Tennessee for whatever reason. My things go wrong if the big ticket items in the secondary, which we haven't mentioned, don't work, and you just see this happen over the years, more bad money I think is spent in the secondary and free agency than anywhere else. Good players pop up for one good year, two good years, and then they get signed for big money and then they're not difference makers. So they give Alante Taylor a huge contract to be one of the highest paid slots essentially in the league. And then Cordell Flytt, who had a good year you know in New York last year. The front can make up for it, but like I said, I'm not sure about like whether there's enough juice. And then you look at the safety position. If those cornerbacks don't get you know, pan out as well as they played last year as well as the Titans hope, then they could get picked on a little bit in the back end.
Speaker 3: I'm a big I'm a big Kevin Winston junior believer.
Speaker 1: Okay, with him young safety, him second year player, so when he with him being healthy, man, I hope we see the best of him because his stuff was special at.
Speaker 3: Penn State when he was coming up as it underclassman.
Speaker 1: And here's a thing. Salah can coach defense. Nobody doubts that, Like what he did with the forty nine ers last year was great, but everything he did with the forty nine ers before, more importantly, what he did with the Titan with the Jets when he took over for the Jets, that was one of the best defenses in the league, and I think this is a good enough group, maybe not a great group, but it can be a better than average top ten to twelve defense if everything goes right. And that kind of leads us to the ceiling floor of the team. To me, if the defense hits like this can be a competitive team. Cam Ward taking a like a next step. The talent is there for them to win seven eight games, like I think that is probably the ceiling of the team. The floor is obvious, it's more of the same. I think they'd be a little better than they were a year ago, but they could still be one of the worst teams in the NFL if things don't go well. But I think they could hang around five hundred make some noise potentially. I don't see them as a potential playoff team. Yeah, we have the same thinking.
Speaker 2: Right. They're three and fourteen last year. I think the ceiling is eight and nine, still missing the playoffs. And I don't mind how their schedule starts. You know, it's not too bad. And I think that having a week nine by is nice because it gives you a little bit of a reset moment right in the middle of the season. Decently easy schedule, if there is such a thing in the NFL. But floor, yeah, I think it's a little better than that, you know, three and fourteen mark, but five and twelve is where I had four.
Speaker 3: So five and twelve for the floor for this team and then eight and nine for the ceiling.
Speaker 1: That week one game and they start with two home games. They're always trying to help out the teams that struggled the year before, and the Jets and Titans. These Week one games to me, like that's one of the most important games of the season for these two teams, Like I will be watching because there's so much unknown about those two teams, and like both teams are looking at that matchup and thinking like, oh, we can get one in week one. We can start out one to know, and then they're at the Giants week three, like that's a winnable road game. Like there're saying there's a path here for two and one, and you're feeling yourself. You know, I'm feeling myself today talking about this division. Let's take a quick break. Trevor Sikoma is with us for the first time on NFL Daily. Won't be the last, that's my bold prediction. But we'll be back in just a minute to hit the rest of the division. Back on NFL Daily. Liam Cohen not happy with the lack of attention on the Jaguars, so we gave him a lot of pop earlier this week. It just happens to be AFC South week. We'll give them their fair share of pop here, Trevor Sikama, give me what's bringing you joy about this program?
Speaker 2: We didn't talk about this before we came back from the break. It's literally Liam Cohen like that, like that, that's actually what gets me excited and what brings me joy with this team. I grew up a Bucks fan and so followed the Tampa Bay Buccaneers very closely, even still to this day.
Speaker 1: I got the mic all stot jersey in the background for everyone watching it on YouTube, Like, if you like Trevor and this show, like and subscribe. But yeah, I love the Allstar jersey back there.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good plug to get people to come over to the YouTube channel.
Speaker 3: That's good. It's good. I see what you're doing there. That's why you're pro.
Speaker 2: But Cohen, I mean I enjoyed what he did when he was in college. I enjoy what he did when he was the Buccaneers offensive coordinator. The Bucks were kind of running through a couple of different offensive coordinators, some one year guys here here here, and then when Liam Cohen came along, it just felt as though like he just had this confidence about what he was going to set up and the acclamation period for him was okay, training camp and then the first four or five weeks of the season, but other than that, like you got to establish your identity. And I think that's sometimes an issue with offensive coordinators is they go, well, we don't know exactly what these guys are good at yet, and then you get into week twelve, week thirteen, and you still don't feel like you have an identity of the team. Cohen was able to recognize that so quickly with the Buccaneers, where the second half of the season there was so much confidence with every single player because they knew exactly what they were going to do, because they were put in the positions to succeed. You obviously saw that again last year with him with the Jags winning thirteen games, and so I just the way that he thinks about the game of football, the personality that he is to instill confidence in his players, you know, whether it's them being doubted or whether it's you know, him just telling them, hey, yeah, if we do this, it will work. And I think that we saw that so early on last year. I think that's something that's going to continue. And he's one of the best coaches in the NFL. And so he is somebody who gives me joy because I'm so excited to always see what he is cooking up now with this Jags team.
Speaker 1: Obviously, so you're a Tampa guy, Ray, I don't call you that now. I'm a map and and so is Liam Cohen. Spiritually, he went, he went through, he went to UMass. He grew up in Rhode Island, which is essentially the same idea. Sorry Rhode, it is, I mean, the same types of personality. And I think it really comes out in those soundbites that people latch onto because he's just like kind of always looking for a fight. But that's his love language. That's mine too, like that I can't get it out of me. That's just who he is. And I had I had the same idea of just he's he's gonna be great at the podium, but more importantly, he is going to be great on the field. And I think that one year he had with the Rams where he was the offensive coordinator and it was their nightmare season, he just got caught And I fell victim to this from a public image standpoint of getting blamed a little for that when that wasn't about him, He wasn't even calling the plays. It was just a nightmare season for them. And yet when he got back into the NFL and the Buck season and now with the Jags, like he's the one, Like he's that guy, he is the guy everyone is searching for. The Bucks should have kept him. I know that's a sore spot there in Tampa. Like he is right there with with Sean McVay and Ben Johnson at the very forefront of play calling and what it takes an offense. And I don't know if that leads you if you go offense or defense with your scheme dream, which which way do you want to go?
Speaker 2: So the scheme dream for me is it is on the offensive side of the ball. And when I was kind of like looking up some numbers of say, what could this team do to be a little bit different this year? I think that this goes into a little bit of them wanting to lean more into heavier personnel. We'll talk about Nick bor Kercher here in a second, but when it comes to the scheme dream specifically getting heavier personnel when they go under center. So this team is not afraid to go under center. Liam Cohen was not afraid to go under center. Trevor Lawrence not afraid to go under center. This team had the ninth highest percentage of snaps under center last year, but just twenty fourth in the NFL in overall two tight end or three tight end sets, so heavier personnel sets. When you think about being able to get under center, the things that you can do when it comes to formations and play action and just everything, it gets so advantageous when you have multiple tight ends that you could put on the field. Because if you have a quarterback and an offense that's very comfortable getting under center, whether it's to hand the ball off and to actually execute your run game or to execute play action, and you do so with multiple tight ends on the field.
Speaker 3: The defense has to respect where those tight ends are. They have to respect where they think the strong side of the line of scrimmage is going to be. And I think that the Jags.
Speaker 2: When you look at how often they wanted to get under center last year, and they did get under center last year, and then some of the offseason emphasis to get more tight ends and prioritize that tight end position. I think we're going to see heavier personnel for them when they're going under center, and I just think it's going to unlock another level of what Liam Cohn wants to do to say to stay mysterious with what the play call is going to be, where the ball is going to go.
Speaker 3: And I think that's going to unlock that.
Speaker 1: Wait, so are you going Nate barkercher as your most important non quarterback?
Speaker 3: I am, And I'm a little reluctant to do.
Speaker 1: Second round rookie. Where did he go to school? He went to Texas A and m one of the most surprising picks of the draft. He was and he is your most important non quarterback.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 2: And I'm almost a little reluctant to do this because my face was all over social media with my reaction for when this pick came in.
Speaker 3: I was floored. My jaw hit the floor.
Speaker 2: I could not believe that he And it's not because I've said this multiple times it's not because I don't like the player. It's not because I don't think he's going to be a difference maker. I just couldn't believe he got picked a number. Was it fifty four?
Speaker 3: Overall?
Speaker 1: He started at the run, started at the run, but.
Speaker 2: It did indeed start the run. And James Gladstone when they revealed the the behind the scenes footage, He's like, Hey, let's go shock the world here with this pick, and they absolutely did. But the reason why I think he's the most important one it ties into sort of what I said about how I think that their scheme can change a little bit there. They didn't draft him in the second round to be a bystander, and I don't mean to put too much on a rookie's plate. However, I do think they want to get heavier in their personnel, whether it's under center or not. And when you look at Brenton Strange, Brent Strange was a key part of this offense last year. They wanted to run a lot of what they did, whether it was the run game or the pass game through Brent Strange. He missed a little bit of time due to injury, only played in seventy five percent of the snaps the offensive snap slash here didn't play a full season, and it was different when he was hurt and when he was not out there. So not only to expand how often and how confident they can be putting two tight ends on the field, also a little bit of insurance of hey, if Brent Strange gets hurt again, we still want to be able to run an offense that has tight ends heavily involved. And I think the answer to both of those questions is Nate bor Kercher Ark Kurscher. Again, I don't want to put too much on a rookie's plate because as Ian Beckle's the former offensive line for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, used to tell me, Hey, Trevor, rookies suck.
Speaker 3: It's just the way it is.
Speaker 2: And he would always hear me get excited about these young guys, and so he's always trying to put a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of cold water on it.
Speaker 2: But I think that however quickly bor Kircher can adapt to what they want to put on his plate, that could hold the key for how perhaps unstoppable even this offense can be this season. I think you mentioned Liam Cohen's time with the Rams. He came in with the Rams for the first time in twenty eighteen. That was when, you know, those condensed sets were sort of in vogue, and I think that we could, especially with Parker Washington, who gives his all as a blocker Jacoby Myers, who gives us all as a blocker, I think you're going to start to see more of these condensed heavy sets from this team, and I think that it's really just going to change how Liam Cohen's is going to be able to really put a lot of stress on defense coordinators with everything.
Speaker 1: That he could do. Yeah, you mentioned two of the really versatile wide receiving weapons that they have who can both block, and I noticed, you know, you didn't mention Brian Thomas Junior, who maybe his fit in the system was a little awkward at first, but now they've kind of figured out what he can do and so for him he's not a role player, because I still think he might lead the team in receiving yards. I think Parker Washington would be more likely receptions, but either way, they've kind of figured out what he can do, what he can't do, and it's a crazy deep group of weapons with Travis Hunter also in the mix. And I'll never say that running backs don't matter, but on this team, I think with Lee Cohen's playing calling, the questions about the running backs and the offensive line relatively is lesson. Not that they aren't important, but they're lessened by the play calling and the amount of weapons. We haven't talked defense, so I'll go there with my scheme dream and Anthony Campaneely is the defensive coordinator. Second year, they lose Devin Lloyd in the offseason, lost some depth. They just forced a lot of turnovers last year. I think there are absolutely questions in the secondary. They are very reliant on Travon Walker and josh heinz Allen, who wouldn't be, but like there's not a lot of great depth behind him. I don't think the defensive tackle spot is great, even the cornerback spot behind Hunter, Like they probably feel a little more confident in it than I do. Which is why Travis Hunter is my most non important, you know, my most important on quarterback because sure, sure he's been out there hooping this week and I think he will add you mentioned the rookies suck. I mean Travis Hunter didn't suck, but he wasn't the Travis Huenter I was expecting his rookie season. His head was swimming a little. He is a young player. I think he's going to take a step on both sides of the ball, add on both sides of the ball. But the important part here to me is that he's a difference making cornerback and I absolutely expect him to be and that will maybe make up for, you know, some of the turnover luck that they had, and some of it was luck, like they had one of the highest percentage of recovering fumbles in the last like ten to fifteen years, and that's just you know, you can't count on that happening year after year. But I think Travis Hunter gives them another blue chip talent, especially on the defense that they need to kind of maintain where they were at because it was a surprisingly good defense a year ago. Yeah, and that sort of goes into my you know, things go wrong if there's a couple of areas that you kind of mentioned that you could potentially point to here. But I'm going to talk about the safety play, Like if the safeties can't hold up, I get a little bit worried about this defense. They gave up the ninth most completions of twenty or more yards last year and had the fourth most deep passes against them as a team, still have Eric Murray, still have Antonio Johnson, who's coming off of a good year. But I think that you've got a lot of young guys around him. The secondary's got to limit those explosives in those big plays, because if there's an area where you can really attack down the field, hey Josh Heinz Allen, Trayvon Walker. And even if the defensive line plays really well, if you don't have safeties in a secondary that could really defend deep, I think you're still going to struggle. So they got to be better than they were last year in that area. Yeah, Jordan Lewis was good for them at Nickel and he's going to play corner for them. Caleb Rants if we had all the time in the world, the two lane legend. We'll see if he can come back from an injury. It was a third round pick for them last year and make an impact before we get to the ceiling floor. Things go wrong. If Lawrence Fritz is out, If Lawrence is more like the guy we've seen for most of his career, and I found it interesting in Mike Sandos QB tiars that, like the coaches, GMS kind of aren't totally buying in on Lawrence finally getting late last season. To me, it's partly that he got Liam Cohen, and that's why I think it can be steady. But I've never really been a Lawrence guy versus consensus because once he gets past his first read sometimes I just don't understand the decision making process and he's not always been crazy accurate, So like the athleticism, everything else hasn't been enough to make up for it. But if he's that guy in the second half of the season where it was you kind of knew who you were getting week after week, including the playoff game. I thought he played well in the playoff game. They're just a different team, So that's the things go wrong if for me, it's just that if he fritzes out a little bit mentally and he's not the guy. I don't know if you've ever been a Lawrence guy overall.
Speaker 2: No, obviously, like obviously, like when he was coming out of Clemson, I thought he was incredible. But but Lawrence was actually a really good case study for me when it came to going back and seeing maybe how you could scout things a little bit better and a little bit more accurately. I just didn't take into account how much of his success at Clemson was a lot of the first stuff, and how talented Clemson was, and how much more talented they were than a lot of other teams when teams really started to rotate their coverages or have different looks in the secondary, like he would struggle there back in college, and I just didn't really give I don't think enough weight to that when talking about him to the NFL, which kind of goes into sort of where he is right This is year six for Trevor Lawrence. The first year was an absolutely I mean you like that on fire was the Urban Meyer year with him.
Speaker 3: So it's like, okay, well is he sort of where he should be?
Speaker 2: I would have liked for him to take a little bit more of a definitive step a little bit earlier. But there's reason to believe the best version of Trevor Lawrence, and the most consistent, I think is probably the better way to say it, version of Trevor Lawrence does actually show up this year in year two of Liam Cohen. So I think that I've probably been right around sort of like the middle of like what people think with Lawrence, But I really do think that this could be a really strong year with him with Liam Gohin.
Speaker 1: And you hate to pick on a guy for like how he's reading the game and coverage and we're kind of talking around it when it's talking about getting past your first read, but there are there is a certain type of player, and I think of Ben Roethlisberger, even though he's very different than Lawrence. I think of like Peek Russell Wilson in a little way that sometimes like the me, you know, the mental peak of your career is going to be more like year six, seven, eight nine. Obviously keeps getting better, but it takes some quarterbacks longer to develop that part of the game than others. And then when that starts hitting, the athleticism that everyone's so excited about really comes out ceiling floor of this team, I think they are one of the teams that can win the Super Bowl. I'm a championship big a mist on this show. I probably have a list of like eleven twelve teams, Like I don't think it's that short, but I think the Jaguars are one of them. I do think they have more of a variance though than the Texans, for instance, or than some of the other AFC teams between the offensive line, some of the things I talked about, the overall talent and the secondary between you know, Trevor Lawrence, I love Liam Cohen and even he like if something went wrong, is it like they're gonna get stuck in a run? I don't know yet, and so to me, they have more of a floor where things could go really wrong and it could be more of a seven win team. But ultimately I think they're more you know, leaning towards that playoff championship contender, and it's gonna be really important to win this division because it's just so hard to win the Super Bowl as a wildcard team, and so them versus the Texans, and we'll see, maybe the Colts is just a big deal. You know.
Speaker 2: If we're talking about teams that like have the ability to potentially win a Super Bowl, I suppose that Jaguars should be on that list. The ceiling that I had for them though is twelve and five, so not quite as good as last year, but I think there's around that mark. But I think like Conference championship feels like a ceiling for this team where I like him and I like what the ceiling could be. I'm just not sure it's the whole team yet for them to make that super Bowl jump. So that's where I have them as more of a conference championship type of a team with that ceiling, and then the floor is like, hey, yeah, if Lawrence doesn't progress, if the defense takes a couple of steps back, if the offensive line ends up being a little bit more of an issue than we thought. Uh, eight and nine feels like the floor for this team missing the playoffs, but I think it's much more likely you get closer to that nine to eleven win range for them is something that's more realist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good and bad for Jags fans out there. The good like we blew over that that twelve minute buzzer, thanks to Eric for not, you know, unforce it. So I think the Jags got more time on this show than any team.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get yelled at. We're blowing past the time.
Speaker 1: Ever, it doesn't matter. It's just it's just a way.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get fine. I'm gonna get I'm gonna get fine. It's a podcast.
Speaker 1: You guys are doing like two and a half hour redrafts on the NFL stocking stage, and that's great content. I love that stuff. But we're daily, so we try to keep it moving. Sometimes the bad though, that's the good for the deck. The bad is that Trevor kind of convinced me that. In my heart, I think Conference championship as the ceiling feels more right this year sometimes in or two with a good new coach, like even if the record's not as good, you are taking a step forward and you just see it a lot, So that actually makes more sense. I'm not lowering my ceiling. Sorry. Let's talk about the Colts, a team that I believe has a has quite a high variance too. When we get to the ceiling floor, I think the ceiling is sneaky high and the floor is, you know, is the basement to kind of parapher It's Michael Jordan, what is bringing you to joy? When it comes to the Colts. The floor is, the floor is the basement. The floor is like a top five pick, and who has their pick? Don't the Jets have their pick this year? So the Jets are just like driving it on everybody's pick.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you have a question of who has their pick, you've got a good chance if you just say that it's the New York Chats. What brings me joy for this team the potential jumps. I think whether it's your two year, three, year two in the system, there's a lot of guys that you can get excited about on this team. Tyler Warren is one of them. Tanner Bordolini who had a really great year last year stepping into that starting role. Jalen Travis getting it could get in a crack at being in a starting offensive tackle for them. Layout to Latsu, Okay, what can the potential jump that he could.
Speaker 1: Have this year?
Speaker 2: I think Sauce Gardner if with this team now hopefully healthy, you know, his second year jump here for them. Like, there's just a lot of I couldn't say like second year jump because sometimes it's guys who are in year two, year three, and even maybe a little bit longer than that. But it's these potential jumps for a lot of players at some really important positions on this roster that give me a lot of joy because, for as much as it has not come together for this Colt team, the way that that obviously like the front office and the coaching staff would have liked. Chris Ballard is a draft guy at heart, and and so I love sort of always watching his process and how how serious they take the draft and player development and getting guys who are good fits for them and everything.
Speaker 3: And I think there's just a handful of players that you look.
Speaker 2: At and you can go, man, I could realistically see a world where you're really taking a next step up, You're really improving your consistency, the efficiency and how you play, the impact of how you play, whatever that is. And I just feel as though we're sort of littered around this roster of guys who could potentially do that. And so it's a roster that does get me excited going a little bit towards your point of sor the variance and the potential high ceiling. Some people might hear a high ceiling with the Colts and roll their eyes, But I look at this roster and I look at a lot of guys that have the potential to take that jump, and if they do, yeah, we're talking about hitting maybe a ceiling that's a little bit higher than people would expect for this team.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget it because I was in New Orleans for a wedding of a friend and at that moment in time. Last season, the Indianapolis Colts were the number one team in the AFC, They were the number one offense in the NFL. They were eight and two, and they were like setting records. I mean, that's the ceiling. And you're right when you talk about the development. I think it's something that people should know about this roster. We talked about them that they were a sneaky win now team last year despite you know, the uncertainty of quarterback going into the year, because they have so many guys that have been there for a while and could be taking that step up. So I'm gonna jump all the way ahead to most important non quarterback before I get to my joy because you mentioned Leatu lots and I do think that is emblematic of the team in general. I think he took a really good step as a difference making pass rusher. Was my favorite pass rusher in that draft, was clearly their favorite pass rusher. He was the first defensive player at taken and he's so important because I do think they need a little bit of that development and juice. But the ceiling for me, is him as a top ten edge, you know, is him making you know, getting into the all pro mix. And he's had such a deep bag of moves that sometimes it takes you a little while to figure it all out. But I think he took an important step forward and if he can take another big step forward, that's why I put him as my most important non quarterback.
Speaker 2: No, I feel you that goes right into sort of my like things go wrong. If the things go wrong, if to me is if they don't have a finisher on defense. That's the statement there. Because I looked up some of the numbers from NNGS here without blitzing. Okay, the Colts were fourth in total pressures with one hundred and sixty last year, and they were seventh in pressure percentage, which just over thirty three. It's prett dan good if you're top ten in both those marks. When it comes to pressures, however, they were just twentieth in sacks with twenty four and they were twenty fifth in sack percentage at just five percent. You're getting a lot of guys that are collapse in the pocket. Hey, they're making a difference, They're beating their guy you're just not doing it soon enough and you're not enough of a finisher. And when you look at this team, greg almost a fourth of their salary cap is tied up in their secondary. Yeah, and if you don't and if you don't have a defensive line that can compliment the money and the talent that you spent in the secondary, that's not going to be good because a lot of your chips are on the table on that defensive side of the football, especially in the secondary there.
Speaker 3: So you've got to have a finisher.
Speaker 2: You have to have somebody that puts fear in the heart of a quarterback to get rid of the ball just a fraction of a second maybe before they want to. And that's where that expensive and talented secondary has to be able to capitalize with creating some turnovers. So to me, lat Too is by far the top candidate to be that finisher on defense and they absolutely need one this year.
Speaker 1: Well, you know who agrees with you, Chris Ballard, And he agreed with you so much he was ready to sign Trey Hendrickson to a big deal. I always think about the sliding doors moments of the offseason, and the reports were that they had the best offer in on Trey Hendrickson before everything fell apart with the Max Crosby trade, which caused the Ravens, who might have been a more attractive destination for him, to raise their offer get to the spot, and then they kind of settle for arden Key, and yeah, it's just not as exciting. They do have the Forrest Buckner back. You mentioned the defensive line. He had a neck injury that we weren't sure, a back injury that if he was going to come back, go over. Stewart's been there forever. But yeah, you're right to think about that juice. That leads me into my schematic talk, which is what's lou An Arumo gonna do? The average fan probably forgets lou Anarumo, who is with Cincinnati, got a lot of credit for how creative his defense was. Good coach, kind of changing what he wants to do week after week, and I think he struggled to do that last year with the Colts because they were just so banged up, especially in the secondary. You thought Charvarius Ward was going to be a difference maker. He was never on the field. He is back for this team next year. You trade for Sauce Gardner and you think, okay, maybe that can unlock us being a little more creative week after week. He gets hurt immediately and so with a little more health upfront, you didn't have Buckner really either last year. You have a young player in CJ. Allen as your middle linebacker. Can these guys learn what lou wants to do enough for him to change the plan week after week, because I think that's the best version of the Colts defense. Maybe it's not the first section of the season, but he does not want to be like Damiko Ryanson just rushing for He wants to change what he's going to do on a week to week basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is tough with leaning on a lot of younger guys to be able to do that. Albeit I like the younger guys, right, I like CJ. All and I like AJ Halsey. These are guys who are going to be a part of the mix for them. But you're right there, should it go on to my scheme, dream is on the offensive side of the ball going to go to that next pace? Okay, so this kind of ties into my most important non QB for this team as well, And that's just the emphasis that Tyler Warren could be for this offense. Tyler Warren was everything for them. It felt like last year he led the team in open target percentage. Last year he also had the highest snap count of anybody on offense that didn't play quarterback or offensive line. So they had this guy on the field all the time. If Alec Peerce is limited at all, whatsoever. Okay, we're looking at a receiving group that is Josh Down, Ashton, Dulan, Lakwan Treadwell, Anthony Gould, and then you get the tight ends into the mix, and I think Warren's just gonna be the biggest part of that, right. Not only would Warren like take that next step there anyways, now you don't have Michael Pittman Jr. So a lot of I think those like red zone X type of like plays like you could put him on the line of Scrimmage's exactly.
Speaker 1: What he was.
Speaker 3: And the scheme dream for me with Warren is go watch.
Speaker 2: The Penn State tape and just do a lot of that stuff because that stuff was so much fun Warren was at Penn State. Warren was an inline tight end. He was a wingback tight end. He played in the slot. They play him as an X, they play him as part of the top of the triangle. Whenever there was a bunch formation, they'd put him in at full back. He played wildcat quarterback for them at the goal line and on short yarded situations. He played fifty nine snaps in the backfield last season. He played three snaps at quarterback last season as well. I just hope that there is a world where they look at Tyler Warren and just say, hey, Swiss army knife, we can do so many different things with this player. He's built like it, He's got the athleticism for it. He could take the hits, he could dish out hits like he could just truly do it all. I love Tyler Warren when he was coming out. I love this spot for him in Shane Stikeen's offense, and I just hope that they continue to lean into that creativity of all of the different ways that you could utilize a player who has his skill set. I'm a big Tyler Warren guy, and so Claire, I really hope sous I love to see more from him this year.
Speaker 1: He landed in the right spot. I'm so confident that that can happen, because I think we saw it last the first five or six weeks of last season. At some point, you know, whether it was physically he took on a little water, there was injuries around him. Then the Daniel Jones injury happens. The creativity kind of started dimming as the season went along, but we saw a lot of that Penn State type of usage early. I think he landed in the perfect spot. And I do wonder without you know, Alec Pierce practicing at training camp and you mentioned the lack of depth at wide receiver in general, so you have Josh Downs playing outside at training camp a little bit more than you want, Like they're probably working on a lot of Tyler Warren stuff, which which is what was bringing me joy, and it's all connected to me. This is a team where the things go wrong if and bringing me joy is connected, because what's bringing me joy is just the pure speed and explosiveness from the skill guys. If it all goes right, Pierce, Josh Downs, who I love, Tyler Warren and Jonathan Taylor with a really good offensive line and a really creative play caller. I mean that that's cooking with gas. That is enough. I know you lost Pittman, Butman not really an explosive player that that is going to keep defensive coordinators up at night. But it connects to my things go wrong if like the injuries and just the variance of this team is off the charts. Downs is a is a variance player. Daniel Jones, who's looked very good in training camp based on what the expectations would be for his achilles, is an extreme variance player even if he's healthy and he's coming off inn Achilles. Pierce is now coming off a serious injury. I don't think he's a variance player, but he is like not a every down I'm gonna just like catch an eight yard slant type of player. And then Buckner with the injury ward coming off an injury on the defense, CJ. Allen, who I loved, is a little bit of an up and down player. It's just like, Man, I can see how you and Chris Ballard could see the best case scenario of this team, and yet like there's a lot of downside for a lot of their key players too. So I almost don't know what to think about the team, But it makes them exciting to watch.
Speaker 3: That makes me curious is good.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering what your ceiling is for them when you talked about like the variance and everything, like, what's the ceiling that you see for the.
Speaker 1: Gold It's tough in this division, but we saw it last year. I think it's last year them taking that step forward. It's like them winning the division. It's them having a home playoff game or two. I don't see them in the Super Bowl, like eventually they get picked off by a better team. But I do think they're a conference championship game type of ceiling because we kind of saw it. Hey, I think we saw it last year, and yet the floor to me is like you're one of the worst six or eight teams in the league. I think they might be the highest variance team in the entire NFL.
Speaker 2: So I have the floor for this team is five and twelve, and I feel like you get like a whole regime change type of thing going on here with them at five and twelve. The ceiling, I think because they were eight and nine last year. I think the ceiling for this team I have ten and seven and a wild card, and I don't totally disagree with with if they make it to the postseason, winning a game or two there, Like, I could potentially see that if because obviously, if they make it to the postseason, if they're winning double digit games, things are panning out for them. The tough thing for them is I hate their schedule. Their schedule starts out Baltimore at Kansas City, Houston Texans International game against Washington, and then at Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Like, those are the first five.
Speaker 2: Games they came I think is I think that that's not okay. I think that's pretty not ideal for them. And then they also don't have a bye week until week thirteen. Okay, so that's and then and then wait, wait, I forgot this part of it. So you go Baltimore at Kansas City home versus Texas International, so you got an international game against Washington, and then you go on.
Speaker 3: The road against Pittsburgh. Yeah, hosting the Tennessee Titans. Yeah, on the road a Minnesota on the road to Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: That is a brutal first eight weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: Right for argument's sake, that is about as hard a three team parlay you can play against. In the first three games of the season, including Sunday Night Football in Week two is interesting that the cults are there. Yeah, that's tough. Ravens, Chiefs, Texans. The bright side, Yeah, two of three of those are at home, so if you're ever going to beat one of you know, let's even put them at one and two. There. Look the Commander's game, Yeah, it's it's overseas, but that's a road game, so you kind of like playing you know, that's a new game that is sneaky a road game, So that that actually you could look at as a positive where one of your road games is overseas when it's really like a neutral. And then you know at Pittsburgh, Tennessee, those that's three winnable games Commanders, Steelers, Titans in a row, and at Minnesota that yeah, they're all in the same tier. Like it. It's fine, it's fine. But to our overall point to circle back around, the AFC South is a much tougher in division schedule. I even think the Titans will be better this year. And then the out of yeah, the out of division schedule I would say is average. You know, you face the NFC East, which I actually think is is a decent division play. You face the AFC North, which is a relatively tough division to play, It's somewhere in the middle. So the schedule, which usually the AFC South could kind of dine on easy schedules, but now that it's better as a division and out of the division overall, I think it's like an average schedule overall and maybe particularly hard. To your point for the Indianapolis Colts, I think I you're not buying it.
Speaker 3: I think I think.
Speaker 2: I think I believe in Jayden Daniels and uh Kyler Murray a little bit more in those first eight games than you. Okay, I'm scared. I'm scared, Greg, I'm scared of the first eight games.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: They're scaring me.
Speaker 1: I do get scared about a situation where people could get fired and it's just bad vibes. We've kind of been, you know, with the position with Jordan Rodrigue, you know, being a big influence on this. Take that. Yeah, maybe Stichen would be a little safer long term is like I would certainly hope then Chris Ballard. But you know, you start out one and six, everything's on the on the board. Look, I'm not I'm not gonna say that it was like an undefeated start for us, but I think we put out like a five and two if that was our first you know, seven schedule. We went five and two.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm cool with that. I'm cool with five and two.
Speaker 1: What a first time guest. As I said Trevor Sikkima, you can check them out to tell them, like, are you back now with like with the shows with the stock Exchange you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So had a little bit of a vacation hiatus there for myself, my coast Connor Rodgers, him and his wife had their first baby.
Speaker 3: They had a son, So there's.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, it happens a little a little less time for podcasting, as any parent out there would would understand. So, but yes, we're finishing up previewing all of the positions for the twenty twenty six college football season, mainly for the twenty twenty seven NFL Draft. And look, I know a lot of people say the grass sagreener, right, Everybody's like, I'll just wait till next year. I'll just wait till next year's class twenty twenty seven rules. I mean, there's so many quarterbacks and skill position players and like there's just so many good players in that twenty twenty seven class. So it so far with my summer scouting study of it, it is as advertised, So yes, come hang out with us on the NFL Stock Exchange channel on YouTube.
Speaker 1: I should have mentioned, yeah, I'm not a draft nick, but I do your program one of the best out there of just going to school early, kind of putting in that early work before the NFL season starts to like know about this college class. So that's what they're doing over there here. And yeah, I don't think I'm speaking out of school to say this will not be the last appearance on NFL Daily knocked it out of the park. Thank you to Trevor big Week on the show. We are going to be coming to you from RAMS Training Camp. We have some big time guests at Sean McVay. You cannot back out now. At this point, I'm saying Sean McVay has agreed to come on the show. So that'll be our next show. You'll hear from us at RAMS Training Camp with Sean McVay. See you that