Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks, it is fun Day, July seventh, and this will be another important week for Sean Diddy Combs. Last week was certainly a big week after a big win. And you know what he got after that win, a standing ovation from a crowd of folks. Who is lawyer now says he should serve as an inspiration for woo wee folks, welcome to this. Did he update of Amy and TJ and Robes were so intrigued and so fascinated trying to get details about what was going on in that chord and the behind the scenes stuff. And we're starting to get some Mark Agnifilo, who is without a doubt going to be a household name and a star moving forward. He gave an interview to the Associated Press and some things jumped out, including the fact did he get a standing ovation?
Speaker 2: That was a doozy? Right? That was a diddy doozy To see that and to hear Mark Agnifilo talk about what it was like the reception that did he go when he left that courtroom and walked back into that Brooklyn prison that they were all rallying around him. They all were supportive and congratulating him. It's hard to imagine what it's like to be Ditty in prison, and to see that he had the support of his fellow inmates. I guess maybe it shouldn't have been shocking, but it kind of was.
Speaker 1: Still when you hear some of the details, I suppose some of it starts to make sense, but I guess some initial headline thinking, this is a man who was on trial for some pretty atrocious stuff. We saw him do some awful monstrous stuff. If you take it just on that level without the context, and to think that he beat the case and anybody applauding, that seems a little in bad taste.
Speaker 2: But these are fellow prisoners. These are people who have also either been charged or convicted of probably other heinous acts, certainly some of them violent. So perhaps it makes sense if you think about it from that perspect because this was kind of well, I believe Mark Agnefilo said, this was a moment where these men in this prison, they don't get to see anybody who beats the government, and so this was a win in a weird way for all of them.
Speaker 1: I take, and again I said, as in context of a standing ovation, there are a lot of people, even if they don't say it on social media, even they don't say it publicly. They are, in their own way applauding that the government didn't get away with what a lot of people consider trumped up charges. This is rex you're overreaching, and you should not be going out to this man for this. You should be going out there from this, this and this, which we all agree with and we saw so in that context of Look, every black man who gets charged with something in this country is not Nelson Mandela. Okay, it's just not. But there are plenty of black men who have plenty of experience, and there's been plenty of evidence of how black men have been treated by the justice system. So to walk in to a prison and see, wow, you made it, it was like they have almost something to aspire to in applauding the fact that someone actually beat in a way not got away with a crime. It's so different. They're not applauding that he got away with a crime. They're just applauding that the government didn't get you on this bullshit. And a lot of them, I know everybody don't sell block D that's the joke, says they're innocent.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, everyone, It wasn't them. They've been falsely accused. They didn't do what they are charged with, certainly, but this so I'm curious what you think Mark Agnefillo, when he was giving this interview to the Associated Press talking about this win that did he had, it was a symbolic win for all of the black men incarcerated. I think he said it was the best thing he could do for incarcerated men in America.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be a stretch, that's gonna be That.
Speaker 2: Was a lot for me to read.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be tough because of what It's so hard to separate these two things. There are two things. It is possible that the government overreached and did ditty wrong. That's possible. It's hard, on the other hand, to say it in the same breath that about a guy who we know committed crimes that we saw and we would have no problem with him going to Britain.
Speaker 2: They were indisputable and even he admitted to it. And you said the prosecution did ditty wrong potentially by overreaching and charging him with charges that weren't appropriate for the crimes that he did commit. And I think a lot of folks believe the prosecution did the victims wrong by that as well?
Speaker 1: There you go, nail it. The government did everybody wrong. It was wrong to go after Ditty in this way, and it was wrong to the victims to do it. I guess to stretch. It was a bit of a stretch for what their experience was perhaps, and we're treating them like what we always Domestic violence is so hard in this country to deal with, to prosecute, to have conversations about. And so we looked at a guy who's a domestic abuser that don't we want we want them all in prison.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he should pay for those crimes.
Speaker 1: Nobody's arguing that point. But they're not standing up and applauding that he got away with beating the hell out of women. Yeah, we got to be clear, that is not what they're applauding. And I think the same thing applied to the OJ Simpson trial, to where there were people, white folks looking on one side going why are they dancing and celebrating that this man got away with murder? No, that's not what it was about.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm curious Mark Agnifilos that he talks to Diddy four to five times a day, which I thought was actually very interesting that that's how often they speak. But when he said maybe it's this is what he relayed to the AP that he told Diddy on one of these phone calls, maybe it's your fate in life to be the guy who wins. They need to see that someone can win. And he said, I think he took that to heart. Do you think that the reaction, even by the fellow inmates, the support he obviously had from his family and friends and from his legal team, do you think that does change him that he feels now maybe even like he is a role model. And that's where I was getting a little bit concerned that somehow, okay, fine, he didn't get charged with the things he shouldn't have been charged with in the first place, but let's still remember what he did and even what he admitted to doing. Now to kind of act as if he's up on a pedestal and can be a role model. This is where I'm having a hard time with this. Now, we can't take it too far the other direction. I can't. I just don't think that's probably a good place for anyone to consider him, or even for him to consider himself in that category.
Speaker 1: We'd pite down a little bit on the idea of him being a symbol, of him being hero of any kind. And when nobody's going that far, I understand close it's saying, but they never see anybody beat the government. Yes, and that's fine on particular charges that account. I'm just using that term loosely trumped up, but it is what it is. And that's just the idea of anybody applauding or celebrating in some way this man, Like even if you can agree with the verdict, you still aren't hooting and hollering and yay. That's just there's nothing about this case that should be celebratory for anybody except quite frankly, for Diddy.
Speaker 3: Right, and I could maybe be best in a private celebration perhaps, But it was also interesting to hear Mark talk to the AP about the defense strategy and how they went about defending Diddy without ever putting a witness on the stand.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting. This is a guy, Mark Agnifilo, who was a federal prosecutor in Jersey who actually had prosecuted gangs and other violent enterprises with racketeering, so he knew federal rocketeering arges like nobody else inside, and that was fascinating.
Speaker 1: He knew what he was doing, he knew what he was up against, and he knew how to rip it apart. He knew where the holes in that damn statue were, he knew how to go after it. And the idea they walked into court with the strategy of this, Yep, he's an awful boyfriend. Yep, he beats women. That does not make a racketeer. Yeah, he is not a sex trafficking racketeer. He is an awful guy to date.
Speaker 2: Right, they took they took the wind out of out of the prosecution and sales by just fully admitting that from the beginning and never trying to argue that he was a good guy. They were like, yeah, he's a terrible boyfriend, he's a violent boyfriend, but he is not a sex trafficker and he wasn't involved in some racketeering conspiracy. I mean, he said it was pretty interesting, he said, because he knows racketeering so well, having been a federal prosecutor. He said, if you know how the car works, you know where the fail points are. And he said, this prosecution had dozens, dozens of fall points.
Speaker 1: They tore it apart. It was almost shocking. This is something they we teach kids this and as adults you learn this thing, you take away somebody else's power to insult you or come after you. If you just admit it, if you say yep, I did that, you give them nothing else, Like what's your next thing to say? If I say, yeah, I'm violent, yep, I was on drugs, yep. Treated those women terribly as a boyfriend, yep, domestic abuser, all that stuff, Like, what's the next thing the prosecution is going to say? Exactly, But but you gave two pills to those two people, as your assistant brought to you. Ha ha Stop.
Speaker 2: And he and Mark made such a good point. He said they didn't have conspiracy because they basically just took Diddy's private life and his deviant sexual ways and then tried to build a racketeering case. He said, on personal assistance. That's just common sense. It just didn't It did not rise to that level. The jury is not stupid. The jurors knew better, and they knew those weren't the charges that he was actually guilty of.
Speaker 1: I say, your guy, Brendan Paul babyface, Yes he is running and helping. Did he running come on?
Speaker 2: Just seeing seeing the personal assistance take the stand and then still actually saying how much they loved and respected him. It just it was now that you hear Mark talk about it, and once you know, we were asking ourselves when we were hearing all of the jury's questions and wondering what they were thinking and which charges that, if any, they were going to find him guilty on. And and he obviously we saw the defense team looking deflated after the first day of of deliberations. But then Mark told the AP what he was going through that evening and then into the night, and it was pretty fascinating to hear where he was.
Speaker 1: We we tried to I remember this, and I'll give you credit for it. You came to the conclusion before Mark Agnefillo. Did I remember sitting out here? We're still here. We've talked about we're on vacation. Now I'm sitting out what is it ninety degrees? We are blazing out here right now, looking at two pools in an ocean. So all that's great, But we were sitting right out here robes the other day and we were trying to piece together last week when the verdicts came down, like, wait, if they're hung up on this one, but they got decision on those flour what does that mean? What does that mean? Mark Agnifilo and Diddy and the team didn't immediately know what it meant, apparently, but you put it together just through common sense. You came up and explained it to me. Said nope, you know what, They've only got him on two, He said, because of sex trafficking. If he was guilty on sex trafficking, he'd be guilty on racketeering. They can't come to a decision on racketeering. That means it can't be sex trafficking. That's exactly what his turn he's figured out.
Speaker 2: I think he said it happened he came to that epiphany at three o'clock in the morning. Any immediately when he saw did hey, he told him, you're you're gonna be okay. They're not going to get you on racketeering because they can't get you on sex trafficking, which means you're probably guilty of prostitution. And didn't he say that. He called a fellow attorney on the team and said, let's start working on bail because let's get him out because if he's just found guilty on transportation for prostitution, we have a chance of getting him out of prison.
Speaker 1: That is maybe the best detail from his interview with the AP. And it's fascinating to me because you and I we did this. If you all want to go back and listen to that previous one where the day that the jury came back and said they were deadlocked on count one of racketeering, you and I were in real to just look, what does this mean?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe it's this, maybe it's nothing, And you were the one you said, nope, this is it, and I agreed on the spot you are one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Right, because it suddenly made sense. It was funny that our process was a little messy. We weren't. We didn't have a planned out. We were just in real time trying to spitball and figure out what could this mean? What could it mean? And that's exactly what his legal team did. And so the day that did he walked in and that verdict was ready. The second day, he seemed lighter, He seemed brighter because market already figured it out and told him. And so now it's like he had a confidence about him that he didn't have pe step because the night before and when they left they were hugging each other, there was concern. He told his mom it's going to be okay, Like everybody was kind of preparing for the potential worst, and then just an epiphany happened and then suddenly there was confidence. There was a little swagger. They knew what was coming.
Speaker 1: It makes sense you again, I want to give you credit because I remember that moment. Oh, I wait a second, if they had him guilty on sex trafficking, then blah blah blah, and it makes sense. And they figured it out. You figured it out faster than his attorney.
Speaker 2: Did.
Speaker 1: I give you credit for it? They didn't figure out They were.
Speaker 2: Probably they were probably very emotional. We were detached and being able to look at it from, you know, a completely different point of view without being blurred by emotion. Because can you even just the responsibility you feel as an attorney, what you've probably prepared your client for, but what you're hoping for, and then if it all goes to shit, you know that you're the one who's going to be blamed.
Speaker 1: And Agnaphillo has been with him throughout. He has been with him even before he was actually arrested. I didn't realize, but Agnafillo told him when his homes were rated in twenty twenty th four, twenty four, gave him my heads up, You're going to be arrested for sex trafficking. He said, they're going to arrest you for sex traffic gave him my heads up, so they knew it was coming. Didn't exactly know when, but they knew it was coming. So it is this guy. I don't want to interview him. I want to sit down and have a drink.
Speaker 2: With him, Yeah, and just talk. It's fascinating, it really is.
Speaker 1: Hear a lot of this stuff. But folks, stay with us here when we come back on the other side. Here what Agnafhillo now tells us Diddy is up to and what he is going to be doing when he eventually gets out of prison. Stay here, all right. We continue now talking about Mark Agnafilo giving an interview with the Associated Press, giving us some more details and insights into what happened happened during the Ditty trial and around the time of the verdict, and giving us some insights into where Diddy's head is and what he is going to be up to when he eventually gets out of prison, but robes while this is going on around verdict time, Right, he gets that good news if you will, about all the verdicts. But we have to remember he still has all these civil cases going on. Got hit with another one what a day or so after the verdict actually comes down, And look, we shouldn't be surprised by that, but it was interesting here. Cassie Ventura Fine is named in this new lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Yes, his name is Clayton Howard and he was one of the escorts who, according to TMZ, was a heart of the prosecution's case. He was referred to by a pseudonym. But he has now filed this lawsuit against Cassie and Diddy. He says they drugged him, manipulated him, traumatized him, and he said that Cassie reveled in Ditty's power. He painted a very different picture of Cassie, he said. He claims that she actually got pregnant by him, had an abortion, didn't tell him. He claims he got an st D from Cassie. I mean, he has put in some pretty pretty outrageous details into this lawsuit and he we don't of course, but he is speaking to a completely different side of Cassie that was not talked about in court. He very much said that Cassie embraced Ditty's power, that he she used his power to manipulate him. So he, yeah, has named them both and so yeah him, why didn't they call him? I don't know that answer, you know, and.
Speaker 1: We're aware of him that did he have a different story to tell that didn't go along with the case they were trying to put on. That question will certainly be asked, what you say, This is a guy they were aware of and all of this, the detail he appears to have, this is wild and we were talking about Look, he is not. Look, people are on the fence about it. How much was it consensual versus corrosion? This back and forth, he is painting a picture of her being a partner in crime with Ditty and they as a duo are responsible for assaulting him.
Speaker 2: Correct, And he also kind of well he doesn't kind of. He goes after the prosecution saying that they were very much aware that Cassie was what he said was a co conspirator with Ditty, But he says they only cared about getting Ditty, so they didn't mind putting Cassie up as a victim when in his experience he claims she wasn't because they only cared about bringing Diddy down.
Speaker 1: Wow, So yes, that's still out there. We probably need to do an update at some point. Yeah, the actual lawsuits, Yes, like to get there is a collection out there of the actual number and the count Go ahead, would.
Speaker 2: You Well, I was just gonna say, if you were paying close attention to the trial, he was identified as Dave during the racketeering trial, according to him, so there were a few times where the prosecution referred to and talked about this male exotic sex worker as Dave. He says that was him. So he said, believe me, the US Attorney's office knew my snore story, knew all about it. They just didn't like what I had to say about Cassie, and that's why he wasn't put up on the stand.
Speaker 1: And he according to him, there was some claim about a delay. It was something with his attorney for why why they didn't want the lawsuit to drop while the trial was still going.
Speaker 2: Correct, Because he was asked about that, he said he did try. He said he wanted to file his civil suit before or at least during the trial or whatever. But he says his attorney, Tyrone Blackburn, was actually trying to protect Cassie's reputation during the trial, so he wouldn't allow his lawsuit to go forward until after the trial so as to protect Cassie. These are all of his allegations.
Speaker 1: So yes, that's still happening. But yet, no matter what happens with Diddy, and we talked about it robes anywhere from the prosecution asking for as little as well. Was it nine twenty one months, yes, and he served almost ten now, so he might end up with just another year in jail. The prosecution is asking for up to five years, but again he served nine or ten months, so worst case scenario, we're talking about four.
Speaker 2: Years, and that's no one ever serves their actual sentence. So he's looking at the most a couple of years and that's it and he'll be out.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance the judge doesn't send us them to anything, because they're pretty plenty of legal experts saying if this was a run of the meal person who with no criminal background, with no convictions, no nothing, had these charges, they go home.
Speaker 2: Who knows, they we'd go home.
Speaker 1: But Agnefield, he didn't tell as much about how did he was doing? Said he's okay. That's pretty much always okay about did he being okay? But Rose, he's always already talking about whenever did he gets out of prison, we know immediately what did he's going to be doing? And is not getting back into the studio. Is not trying to rebuild any type of Combs enterprise or bad boy entertainment. He's working on himself.
Speaker 2: Yes, he said he's going to enter a program and actually he said re enter a program for domestic abusers. He said he had started the process before he was arrested. He says that did he recognizes that he has a lot of personal issues. I believe he said he has personal flaws that he's now come to realize he has, and that no amount of fame, no amount of fortune, will erase him. That he has to do the work. And so he says that his client is prepared to do the work. I believe he said, yes, did he burns hot in all matters? I mean, so basically he's admitting, they're admitting that he has a massive anger issue or you know, anger management issue. He can't control his rage.
Speaker 1: Do we take look. I don't know is there a redemption in this? It's hard when you see the video. What do we do? I mean, what do we do? I mean, we got years to figure that out. If somebody never wants to see this man's face again, I hear his name, I hear a single song, I would say, Okay, that makes sense. I don't know what, grace. I don't know how to go about when it's something this that we saw and we heard so much about being that egregious. No, I don't think it's mob boss type stuff, but some pretty awful stuff it is.
Speaker 2: I am somebody who believes that most people can can redeem themselves. But it's going to take a lot of time, a lot of years, a lot of work, and a lot of hard work, and he's going to have to prove it publicly. I don't I mean, I don't know that he'll. I mean, it's hard to imagine he'd ever become anywhere close to the success he was beforehand. But you know what, I am a believer in I am a believer in redemption. But you have to do the time. You have to pay the consequences first, and then you have to do the work. I think you have to have I mean, rehabilitation is huge and important, but I think you have to you have to do the time first. You have to be punished first. And that's what he's going through right now.
Speaker 1: Was that where we are, we're deciding whether or not justice has been served based on the crimes that we saw. Yeah, so what is the what is justice? Is it? So many years in prison? Does it matter what the charge is? I mean al Capone went to prison for tax evasion. Correct the number of people he was responsible for killing and the harm he did, but he still went to prison. I mean, is that justice? I don't.
Speaker 2: It's a version of it. It might not be perfect, but it's a version of it. And I think everyone of the judge agreed that did he needed to stay behind bars, that he was not someone that they could trust, not only to not as a flight risk, but also just his violent nature. And that makes a lot of sense. So he you know, they got whether they say retribution before rehabilitation. That is what's happening now, and it's good to hear that. That is his plan when he gets out is to go directly into a program for abusers.
Speaker 1: Look those the women involved, Look I believe Mia yep, I believe Jane, I believe cass even to refine, I believe saying the stories they have. I believe that every bit of those stories should be applied to a case to put him away for domestic abuse, for whatever, violence, for threats for what. I agree, no argument.
Speaker 2: Just not for racketeering and conspiracy and sex trafficking.
Speaker 1: No argument people have. But I think that's now, unfortunately to speeding that he got away with beating women. He got away with abusing women.
Speaker 2: And that's the prosecution's fault, and that's just that's just my humble opinion. And Tuesday tomorrow we are going to get maybe a little bit more of a sense as to when his sentencing will actually take place. It was announced October third at the trial, but then the judge decided that he would hear the defense's argument to expedite that hearing so that he could go ahead and get an earlier sentencing date so we can continue serving his time. He's getting credit for time served. But we'll have more information tomorrow after that. It's a video conference that's happening.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I think just nothing in open court of any kind. I don't think the public's going to see that. I think is just really a private conference with the job. I think that happens right, judges and the attorneys, yep, just going to discuss so we should get some info and see when he might be sentence. But they're trying to speed this thing along. They've won now, let's the clock is ticking on him getting out of jail.
Speaker 2: Period. All right, Well, we will continue to update you, believe me, anytime we get any more details about what happened. We've heard from a futurors we've heard from but nothing, nothing significant, So there's probably a lot more details to come out, and certainly we'll let you know what happened with tomorrow's conference. But thank you for listening to us. As always, we appreciate you. I'm Ami robock On, behalf of my partner T. J. Holmes. I hope you all have a wonderful day today.