Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final hour on this Monday, as we always do every Monday, Best and Worst.
Speaker 2: Of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? New poll question for the final hour. Still waiting to find out exactly what Danny Hurley is going to do? Should I stay or should I go? Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Tpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter hand on a GP show. Good morning those watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And Tiger Woods is going to be in the US Open, of course. The person to beat a Scotty Scheffler, who won his fifth event of the season. Now the knock on Scotti Scheffler prior to this weekend is he normally wins his tournaments January, February, March, in April, that he doesn't do well later on in the season, but he ended up winning the Memorial. You got the US Open. It'll be on NBC and Peacock coming up this Thursday. All right, Seaton. Poll question for the final hour, We.
Speaker 3: Just got a new one here from Paulie. If you're an LA sports fan, you could have one of these things happen. Think of it like a wish granted. Okay, Lakers get Dan Hurley, Otani never has elbow issues again, it's a good one. Paul has, Jim Harbaugh wins a Super Bowl with the Chargers. I feel like there's probably needs to be a USC option in here, because we are talking about Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: USC gets their national title back from the Reggie Bush era. Reggie Bush says they're getting the title back. That would be good, That would go a long way and creating a little more harmony between those two.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like USC fans are probably like, nah, I lived it. I know we won that. I don't care what those dumb record books say, those past lived, the pesky record books, whatever. Well, Otani has elbow issues and he's still hitting home runs. He does it. And if he doesn't pitch, I don't know if Dodger faith as long as the pitching staff is good and you don't need O'tani and I'm fine with that. I mean, would I'd like to have gotten a little bit more of a bargain than seven hundred million dollars for a guy who's not pitching. Knowing what the Lakers mean, to Los Angeles getting Dan Hurley if that turns out to be the right choice for them. I mean, we're looking at this saying is he going to go or not? Then we're going to start to look at this and go, okay, does this make sense? Is this the right move? And there are a lot of former players saying don't do it. But you know, I applaud the Lakers for giving this thought and to go, okay, now we're going to pay. They went from underpaying to maybe overpaying now because that's what it's going to take to get Dan Hurley. He's supposed to meet with his team, and maybe he's meeting with them now. They have practice reportedly coming up in about an hour from now. I'm guessing that they're going to know and then will know what he's going to do. Throughout the history of the NBA Finals, there have been five teams who have come back from an O two series deficit. The Mavericks. If they're going to make it number six, they got some work to do. Kyrie Irving, who's no stranger to playing in the finals, looks like it's strange for him to play in the finals. He has not played well, averaging fourteen points, four assists, held scoreless from three point range zero for eight in the first two games. That type of performance, it just Mavericks have no they they're not going to win because Luca is not one hundred percent. Still he gave you a triple double last night, but you're you're going against the team that has a balanced scoring attack, that you have three, four, maybe five guys who could be the leading scorer depending on the evening. But you got Luca playing forty two minutes and playing through injuries. I know you kept it. I don't think the game was as close as the score would indicate. You know, they end up winning that one, and you had five players who were you know, scoring and able to take over for Jason. Jason Tatum didn't play well last night, didn't shoot well. They haven't needed it yet, Dallas needed. Dallas had an opportunity to take one of these two games, and I thought they were going to I still think Boston is going to win the title. But then going back and now maybe you have a chance, a little bit more of a chance. And what I saw last night was pretty much just Boston being Boston. You know, good offensive team, good defensive team, I like how people are looking at this Boston team and they're already ready to put their place in history. Like how great this team is. They've had a lot of success. I can't put you in there. Man, they're one of the great teams. If you're winning one title. You know, the Atlanta Braves were a great group of talent, but they only won one World Series when they had, you know, the greatest pitching staff in modern era, and you had you know, some you know, had a great lineup and Hall of famers. There is that a great team, the potential for being great because you got to win. And if Boston wins the title, finally, Okay, now we can at least move on with Oh maybe they repeat. It won't be man, they can't win the big one, but what I saw last night, I expect them to win. I think Dallas is going to get at least one win, maybe two wins out of this. All right, we'll get phone calls coming up. Jim Jackson, one of our favorites Fox Sports and Turner Sports analyst. He'll join us coming up as well. Rocketman in Ohio. Hey, Rocketman, Hey, sir, how are you doing good?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 6: I just got done broadcasting in Akron. I got my best and worst of the weekend. High school baseball for Recovery India in Division four made their first trip to the state finals since nineteen fifty three. They started out the season five and ten. They end up losing to Berlin Island and the finals three to two. So shout out to the Fort Recovery Indians. That's my best and worst. And my theory is with Dan Hurley, He's going to show up to day in his Connecticut year and he's going to a backpack full of La Lakers swag dand out, and he is going to go to the Lakers and probably coach the Lakers this season the way he wants to coach, and next year clean house and build his team.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you rocket Man. Yeah, I don't know how long Lebron's going to be there and is you know what's the future with ad Because if you're going to turn it over to Dan Hurley, he's going to want to get players who can play his style of basketball. Aaron in Ohio, Hi, Aeron, what's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 6: DP, Hope you and the gang are doing well. Six foot two, two hundred and sixty five because it was a good weekend. I want what they have.
Speaker 2: Got a bad connection there, Aaron, Uh, I know Mickey in Chicago, Hey Mickey.
Speaker 7: Hey Dan.
Speaker 4: I haven't call it in a long time, been about quite a few years. The last time I called it, and I told Seaton to stay north when he's had his kid. So one thing about the camle Clark, I don't know. I drive me in saying that the women are trying to grow the game, but they don't want to grow the game because on the marketing aspect of this, it's be massive. I mean, just right now, how many seas she's putting it? You know, how many seats are getting filled up with her just playing in games because I go to these games. I watched every games for for a long time, the w NA because because of my daughter and stuff. So but like she's like the fourth fourth largest cells or leading cells and Jersey Cells. I mean just imagine her going to this just be massive for the for you to say basketball, I just don't understand how how they can do this and if they ask her now, because I mean because Chelsea Great hasn't played the game all this year, Britdy Grinder just started playing last night pretty much. I mean, and then Google, of all, it should be on it should be on the team by far over Chelsea great. But if they if they want to grow the game, that I mean, they got to have her on it. But if but if they asked her now, I for her, I would just say, hey, there's other women that deserve this more than I do.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I don't know if it's you know, they they bring her in as an alternate, and then I don't think she can decline it. That that might look bad that you don't want to play for Team USA, and it might sound petty. Uh, that wouldn't be good for her brand. And she's been really really good at cultivating this brand. But you know, I'm just looking at the committee. If the committee has blinders on, it says all right, we're gonna take player A and B and C and D. You're not going, well, wait a minute, how popular is that that player? I think if you're going to factor that in, then tell me you're factoring it in, or you're not going to factor that in, then tell me I'm fine with it. Just tell me what the rules are and what are you going to say to some player? Hey, you're not as popular, and she's gonna go to a roster that is veteran, veteran Leyden and I don't know how they're going to accept her. But if you look at the criteria, there's nothing in there about popularity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a lot of this like hysteria surrounding Caitlin Clark, who's a great player. That is like reminds me a lot of Tim Tebow, where people are just irrationally crazy over like everything that way.
Speaker 8: You have to do everything to get him on the field. What all he does is win, you know what I mean? The whole the nexter kree. You have to build around Jeremy Lynn. Are you guys crazy? He's the hottest thing in the world right now. Whose career would you rather have, Jeremy Lynn or Carmelo Anthony's Like, all of this crowd take Jeremy Whin's future over anybody in the NBA right now.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of that same sort of like tone to it. That's just it's a little crazy, it's irrational. It's completely irrational, and we become cheerleaders. My goal, my job is not to be a cheerleader here.
Speaker 2: I just have to see it and then say it, and it's not a popular opinion. I just don't think Caitlin Clark is one of the twelve best players right now. Maybe if a couple of players drop out because of injuries, then maybe she gets a chance. Good. But then I don't want to hear when you say, oh, she's not getting any playing time. She not going to get playing time. She makes the roster. You know, maybe if there's blowouts then she gets a chance to play. But you know what, we're going to be complaining about that. Maybe she gets the chance to play. I think it'd be awesome for her. I think it'd be awesome for the sport us getting more eyeballs in the sport, more eyeballs on these players. But it's not like these players who are on the roster go. You know, it'd be nice if we lost you know who, so we could get Caitlyn here and get some more eyeballs here. I mean, there is a sorority here. They've been through this, they've been working for this moment. They deserve this moment. It's just the Caitlin Clark question looms and will continue. Let me see Baker and Bozeman, Hey Bake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Heyter Dandy, kudos to you for giving Danica going into surgery a shout out, Danica, You've got this and doing so, Danny, you reminded me of your starring role in what is perhaps the greatest this is Sports Center at of all time. And you know this is a Sports Center campaign the hilarious genius. You know you've got not only the maskof walking around ESPN, but also anytime that there's an athlete, they're always in full uniform. And the ad with Danica Patrick not only in her uniform but also the fact that she had driven her indie car to the ESPN studios. So if you could talk about your memories of that shoot and who came up with that concept, because that ad with you and Danica Patrick was phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a parking spot that said Dee Patrick and I'm waiting to park in my parking spot and her car, her race car, is in my parking spot, and I'm like, what gives And then she points to the sign and says, Dee Patrick. She was in New York to do David Letterman, and I think they got a helicopter for her to come up to shoot that spot, and then I think she had done the Letterman Show and then flew up and then I had to still do Sports Center that night, but I had my car and I wanted to pull in, but then her car was in there as well, and I just remember, I mean, she was that was a big deal at the time, but her coming up to the ESPN campus, and first of all, Widen and Kennedy, they were wonderful. They are the geniuses behind that. All we did is show up, shut up, and then they just told us what to do, and then we saw what the end result was with all of those commercials. And at the time, I'll, you know, take you behind the curtain. I go to my boss, John Walsh, and I go, why don't we promote Sports Center? And he's like, we don't need to. I go, but you promote you know, Game Day and NFL count now, I mean all these other shows, And I said, why don't you promote Sports Center? And then he goes, Okay. Then they reached out to Widen Kennedy. They came in and they just walked around for a week. Their producers, they're writers, just walked around Sports Center and then they would just observe us to see what we did, how we did it, when we did it, why we did it, and then they they were going to do their take on what we did, what was everyday life like at ESPN, And then you throw in mascot's wallucking around, or hey, Gordie Howell just came in, or wrestlers came in. That people think that, oh, you got people walking around ESPN all the time, which is not the case. But they gave you that impression. A wonderful campaign, and you know, we would have to come in sometimes it'd be like eight in the morning. I'd get done work at midnight and then get home by one, a couple of beers in bed by two, and then I'd have to come in. They go, you're going to do this shoot with and they throw out somebody and then be like okay, and then you would be there the whole day. ESPN didn't pay us to do these commercials. They were like, hey, if you want to be in the commercial, we want you here, and you'd have to come in, you know, all hours, day and night. But it was still it was great because you saw the end result, and you know, I was glad that management at least opened their eyes to say, let's not take Sports Center from I mean they do take Sports Center for granted, or they certainly did back then, but at least got some recognition, and you got to get some athletes there on campus and some of the other anchors were in these promotional spots. It was great, this is Sports Center. And really even the expression, even the slogan this is Sports Center was because we got yelled at by management and they said stop calling the show the eleven o'clock Sports Center, the big show, it's this is Sports Center. And then we got yelled at in that meeting and we went on the air that night and we were very, very very emphatic when we were going to commercial break by saying this is a sports center. And then they ended up making the ad campaign that was the slogan there. But give credit to Widen and Kennedy take a break. One of our favorites, Jim Jackson will join us. Get his thoughts on well, of course, Caitlin Clark, what advice would he give to Dan Hurley, and a little bit on the NBA Finals as well. We're back after this and the show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, we're Covino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to.
Speaker 2: Seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing.
Speaker 10: We never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 11: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blubber list lame in me.
Speaker 10: Well you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 11: Well, it's a Cavino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 10: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, So maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 11: There you go, over promising. Remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen over Promised with Cadino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: He's special to us. He's Jim Jackson, Fox's Turner, NBA analyst and the fourth overall pick by the MAVs in nineteen ninety two. Take me back to the Dream Team. Latner got the spot on the roster. Shaq was up for it, Zoe was up for it. You were up for this? Yeah, did you get a chance to try out for the Dream Team?
Speaker 5: No? You Let me take you back further. So the year before, we had.
Speaker 12: The pan Am game down in Cuba, coach by Gene, Katie Grant Hill was on the team. That was Kristin Ladner, myself, Tracy Murray, wild Boy was a bunch of us, right Adam.
Speaker 5: Keith back in the day. So during that time, you know, we had a really good team.
Speaker 12: I got hurt going into the medal round and I was the leading scorer for the team, so I got hurt, so I didn't get a chance to play. I figured Puerto Rico we lost to so we ended up getting the bronze. So in my mind, I'm like, you know, I had a little stretch fracture in my foot, and my coach, Coach Randiers at the time at Ohio say was like, you're not playing, You're done, forget about it. I'm like, okay, whatever the Olympics is next year, I'm good to go. The Olympics are there, fast forward, boom, dream team comes. I'm like, are you kidding me? We're going all pro? And then they're like that's all. I'm trying to look at the roster and I'm like, well, you know, they got a lot of big men already with Carl Malone and Patrick Ewing and David Robinson. Barkley's that they're not going to take another big man. Got to be a guard. So I'm thinking in my mind, trying to give myself an opportunity to get there, but unfortunately wasn't. It was Christian Nowtrician. At the time, he was AP Player of the Year, I was UPI Player of the Year. He had all the accolades, one of the best college players ever. So you know, you can't really be too mad at that aspect because he did have the pedigree with regards to being selected. But it was tough at that time, and I thought I had a really good shot being on the squad.
Speaker 2: Coach K was on the committee too, which helped laden her a little bit. Yeah, but Isaiah Thomas had a little bit more of a beef that he got snubbed.
Speaker 5: Your of course.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, because of the John Stockton thing. You know, but it's never I mean, what's fair. Think about it, and it's always something in some kind of selection process, even if you go and you try out. My sophomore year, it was a Good Will Games and first time I ever got cut. Coach K was coach I made it to the final round.
Speaker 5: We got a theme here, don't we? Damn we got a theme here?
Speaker 12: And I told Coach K about this later on, I said, I'm still mad at you. But I thought I played really well and didn't make the team. And I was just stretching my head, like how could I not make I got cut? I never got cut in my life, and that, you know, that just showed me that, you know, sometimes fits work, fit works better.
Speaker 5: Than the other.
Speaker 12: But I thought Isaiah's was just a detriment to the game of basketball, It's no way. But that had to do more with he wasn't as like by of course Michael and Scottie and maybe Charles at the time.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but that that whole thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is factoring in with Caitlyn Clark not making the women's Olympic roster in your mind, maybe.
Speaker 12: All the noise around the season at the beginning, kind of the vitrioll going back and forth, all of that I think played a role into Now I can't say that for sure, but being around the game and being around committees, being around sports, it's like, do we want to carry this baggage here? What if she doesn't play, if she's not playing as much? How much pressure is that on the coaching staff on USA Basketball? A lot of that, But at the end of the day, too, it goes back to it's a lot of women who played this game that deserved to be on the team, Okay, that had fought extremely hard to get this opportunity to play, and for one not to be able to do it because you want to implant Kate McCart for the future, that's kind of unfair again. It goes back to that word fair, unfair again. And I think it was so much noise around Caitlyn Clark that I think the committee made a decision to pass on what would come with it.
Speaker 5: If Caateman didn't play, if Caitlin didn't do this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 12: And one way or the other it was going to call some kind of controverty because you think about if she was on and she got put on before another young lady who's been there, think about the vitriol that comes from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, Yeah, it's tricky. You can say put her on because she's grown the sport, she has a great resume, or you can say she's not one of the twelve best players right now in the WNBA, which is what I That would be my opinion. She's not one of the twelve best. But do I want to grow the game? Like I don't want to be shortsighted on this because we've seen eyeballs on the WNBA. Can we take advantage of that? Is that part of what the Olympic Committee should be doing, well, part of.
Speaker 5: It should be.
Speaker 12: You think about it, the committee from the perspective you put the twelve best players together. Flat out, that's that's the job. But we all know from a political perspective, it's not all it's the case. We talked about that with the Dream Team. Okay, that is not always the case with regards to putting the twelve best players together. It's never been like that. It's always been something in there. And that's a choice that the WNBA had to make it. And that's the quandary that they were faced with. I can imagine leading up to it, the number of knockdown conversations and one side had this plausible cause to why Caitlyn should be there. The other side had this on why she shouldn't, okay, And at the end of the day, I think they took the path of least resistance, which was we can always fall back on Caitlyn has a lot of times. She's a rookie. She'll be able to play, you know, four years from now. She's not one of the twelve best players as of yet. But the marketing push for the w NBA is still going to be there during the regular season to promote the Indiana Fever. More importantly, Caitlyn Clark.
Speaker 2: Talking to Jim Jackson Fox Turner NBA analysts played fourteen seasons in the NBA. If Dan Hurley asked your opinion this morning, should I stay or should I go? You would say, if.
Speaker 12: You want to be in the NBA? Yes, is it with the Lakers? I would say, you think hard. What's the long term? What's the short term outlook for you as a coach?
Speaker 5: Because here's the thing. The Lakers, Knick's, Celtics, those are the three premium jobs.
Speaker 12: We know that you got the bulls behind it in Philadelphia and so on.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of pressure that comes with that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you getting paid ten million plus dollars a year, eight years, whatever it may be. But the expectation is to win now. Ask Darvin Ham. Okay, expectation is to win now. I don't care what they say. You got a short window opportunity with Lebron James and then Anthony David. Is it that you need to win now a year or two? Or are we building something out for the next seven eight years of your contract on how we're going to get our organization back to a premitted.
Speaker 5: Spot where we're competing for a championship.
Speaker 12: I think that's very important. Now, you can take a quick hit and get the money. But you can get the money too. I think maybe at Yukon. Now the landscape you got to put this, keep this in mind, Dan, the landscape of college basketball or college sports has changed. You're basically now in a pro system within the confines of NCAA. The only difference is when you're dealing with the NBA, you don't have to go out and raise money, you don't have to go out and speak, you don't have to do all these other things outside of dealing with the board, the president at that university. You have to deal with the GM and you have to deal with the ownership and NBA. But that's what you're doing in college. So what are your expectations, what's the franchise expectations? And I think the Lakers gig with Lebronze James, it's a tough gig for any coach, let alone a coach that hasn't spent time in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder is it advantageous to have Lebron on the roster, Like if you're Dan Hurley and you're thinking about this, and they're looking at big picture and Lebron's going to be there for two more years. Do I have to then you know we're taking Bronni James. Does he factor into this as well? Anthony Davis's future, the expectations. You had a coach who went to the Western Conference finals and the next year gets fired. The West is stacked, So there's is it a plus having Lebron there? If you're Dan Hurley to take this job.
Speaker 5: It's a plus.
Speaker 12: It's a catch twenty two because you want the best players to be on your team, and Lebron is still one of the best. But it's a certain amount of gravity that comes with that. If you get on the batside of Lebron and he doesn't have to verbally say it, then it's some consequences to that. It's like with any superstar of a team, because it's a level of control that Dan Hurley is used to having in college. Well, he can select his roster, he understands what transfers to go get, he understands which freshman to go recruit. Are you going to have some kind of roster control? Are you going to be able to pick your own staff? That was one of the issues. That was a big issue too. I remember when Tyer Low and I do games for the Clippers. When he had an opportunity to be a coacher, he interviewed and it was before Frank Bogel. One of the big things was one three year deal compared to other coaches getting a five year deal. The more important part too with that is that the Lakers wanted to pick his coaching stat and Tyler was like, ho, look, or any coach that won a championship will be like, oh, up, I've won a championship. I should have control over my coaching stat And do you have a level a voice in the room with roster construction, because you think about this, when Frank Vogel was there, they changed the roster, brought in Russell Westbrook and some other players that didn't fit. How Frank Bogo coach that wasn't his so he was forced to coach a roster that didn't fit. So as a as a coach, now you're behind a ball, what do you do? You're trying to put these you know, round sockings into a square hole knowing they don't fit. And then at the end of the day, who's fault in it's the coach. So it's a lot bigger decision and a lot more goes into it.
Speaker 5: When you're with the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Man, is the MAVs situation fixable in the finals.
Speaker 12: Well, you just can't go get more talent. You can't do it at this point. I mean that, Dan, you've been around us to notice it's all about matchups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they got her here with that talent.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but but matchups, Okay, matchups. Playing against Minnesota is it's different than playing against the Celtics. Why Minnesota had Anthony Edwards that can beat you off the dribble every now and then, Mike Conley could get it, but.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 12: So when the ball was sprayed around, you didn't have Ni kil Walker, Alexander or Jay McDaniel's beating you off the dribble forcing you to help them. Now kicking it Boston, when you put Chris Stops in, there has five players on the court that when the ball rotates, you close out, they drive you. You try to stop them, they kick it, they drive it again, and they can either make a play for their teammates or make a shot. That's the challenge that the Mavericks have facing this iteration of the Boston Celtics is that you can't take everything away. So that's why I say it goes back to matchups. Minnesota masters up better with Denver, Dallas master up better with Minnesota. This is a tough defensive matchup for the Mavericks versus the Celtics.
Speaker 2: If the Celtics win, who gets MVP.
Speaker 12: Well, right now it looks like Jalen Brown, and not just because what he's doing offensive.
Speaker 5: I think defensively he has an impact on the game.
Speaker 12: And I'll I'll give a shout out to Jason Tatum for a level of maturity as well, because then you know this, it's a lot of pressure being in Boston and being the guy. He's not shooting the ball particularly well, but he said throughout the course of the season that he's focused on the team aspect of what we need to do to win, and you can kind of see that and his deference at times in the game to give it up to Derek White, to give it up to Jalen Brown, to Drew Holliday and not overly force some sense. He's going to pour some shot. That's just who he is and that's what superstars do. But he's not hanging his head because you know why, then they're winning and he's maturity understands that he wants to walk in a room with the rest of the grades having one of those things on his finger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gets in the key to that door.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time I went to the Boston Garden. It was nineteen eighty three, I think, and I remember seeing it on TV and I thought, God, it looks so gorgeous, the parquet floor. And then I got to the floor and I go, Damn, this thing's all banged up, and you know's there's gashes in it, there's pieces of the wood taken out. Huh, what did you think when you first saw the Boston Garden, the original?
Speaker 5: Hold up, have you seen the locker rooms?
Speaker 2: I did. I was in the Lakers locker room when they won the title, but it was high school. High school locker rooms were I can't even call that a locker room, Jim.
Speaker 5: It was a room with some chairs and some hugs.
Speaker 12: No, no, he was a great part about the locker room. You didn't know whether the shower was going to be hot a cold, or if you glass some friends running around to join you in the shower, some little rodents running around. You had no idea, So they controlled you from that and then Okay, you see that.
Speaker 5: Then you go to the court. The court was.
Speaker 12: Put in pieces because of the party, so we had those little screws that were in the court. So that's why guys would go in and I know I did. You would try to find the dead spots because they were there as beautiful in the aura of what if what it.
Speaker 5: Was a you can say it, No, I can't say it.
Speaker 12: I can't say it, but it was the nostalgic of being in the garden was awesome. I mean it was just just you just felt history. But man, the mechanics of it and the unders of it, man, it was.
Speaker 5: It was tough, bro.
Speaker 12: I mean, you would hit the ball, you here go bump because it wouldn't bounce back up.
Speaker 2: And the Celtics knew there were certain spots on the floor that if they doubled you that you know there were dead on the floor. Like they were trying to use it to their advantage. But I remember somebody put a role of quarters in between two pieces of parquet because there was that much room in between the spaces between. I went, damn, this this thing. It looks a whole lot better on TV than it does in person.
Speaker 5: But a lot of those older.
Speaker 12: I remember playing in Chicago. I got a chance of playing a lot all the old stadiums, except for Phoenix because American Airlines came in in ninety two, so I didn't get a chance to play in the coliseum. I think it was I played in markets where I played in Hemisphere, I played in Washington. The bulls go downstairs underneath, you know, matt House, Old Madison, you know the form, of course. But all of them had their different quirks because they were just older building you felt good about going.
Speaker 5: In, especially the nostalgia of a lot of them.
Speaker 12: But man, I look at these locker rooms now in these stadiums and I'm like, are you kidding? The practice facilities are better, but which it should be. But I think that gave it a little some kind of nostalgia too, to a younger player coming in seeing these old buildings and playing in them and just reliving some sort of a little history through the eyes of a young twenty two to twenty three year old.
Speaker 2: God no, I couldn't wait to shoot at the Boston Garden. It was just it was awesome.
Speaker 12: You know what I did when we played at the Spectrum. I grew up a doctor j Fann, a Philly fan sixer fan. I went to the spot where Doc took off on Cooper with the Roger Prad.
Speaker 2: But you didn't take off from there, did you?
Speaker 5: But I went. I went.
Speaker 12: I've seen the play so many times, and this is the beautiful thing about out an old building that has history. It's it's it's places, moments that you see in your mind. So when I got there, I envisioned the other side of the court there was Dot coming down, Hooper trying to get back and he takes off. But also when DoD did the reverse layup on the Lakers behind the rim. See that you can't get because the history tells the story and you try to go relive it as a young player in those.
Speaker 5: Old buildings, I mean, unbelieved.
Speaker 12: In the forum, just doing the fast break with Magic Johnson to Byron Scott or.
Speaker 5: To Cooper Loop, you know what I mean.
Speaker 12: Those moments man as raggedy as some may be, it's it's still a beautiful.
Speaker 5: Thing when you're you're caught up into that history.
Speaker 2: Always great to catch up with you. Thank you, Jim always did.
Speaker 5: I appreciated my friend and joy.
Speaker 2: That's Jim Jackson, Fox Turner, NBA analyst and fourteen year veteran in the NBA. Take a break, close up Shop.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio in the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAP last call for phone calls, what we learn? What's in store tomorrow? When's Reggie Miller going to be back?
Speaker 7: Todd Reggie with us Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Wednesday? Lawrence Fishburn is supposed to join us tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 7: And forty nartist titled George Kittle tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, Lawrence Fishburn plays Who's career? Doc Rivers in the clipped series on the Clippers. Would you rather have? Who would I rather have? Whose career? Yes?
Speaker 3: George Kittle, Laurence Fishburn, Laurence Fishburn all day. Yeah, Lawrence Fishburn's had a phenomenal career, Yes, absolutely, phenomenal career.
Speaker 2: Yes, He's been in some big, big hits, curious styles you kidding me? Yeah, but he's a matrix. And then of course John Wick. John Wick is getting into that born identity kind of wherever it is in the movie, I end up staying with it all the Born movies, and then the same with John Wick. It's like, I don't know if it's one, two, three, four, if it's Born, Identity, Born, Old Toimate, whatever it is. If it's on, I just stop and then I watch Yes Mark.
Speaker 13: Speaking of another installment of a movie. I'm gonna go see Bad Boys four tonight, and so I've only been hearing great things about it. And the thing is, they're on number four and it's to me, you know what, I don't care how many more they make. I'm watching. It's in that category.
Speaker 2: This is a comeback for Will Smith, right, if you want to call it that. Yeah, yeah, oh from the slab. Yeah.
Speaker 14: Had he made a movie since then?
Speaker 2: I think he may have made one.
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Did he make one? Yes?
Speaker 13: I've been told yes, Okay, but this is a blockbuster though they did one hundred and four million this weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't see the other three, so I don't know.
Speaker 5: You backed up?
Speaker 2: Do I need to see those before I see Bad Boys four? And I think there is a joke. No, I think you do. I do.
Speaker 3: I think you probably do, because by the time you get to four, like Marvon was saying, it's a lot of jokes that are called backs to like.
Speaker 2: One, two, and three that you're like, god, see there talking about that. I think there is a reference to a slap in this movie, uh, you know, playing off the slap with Chris Rock.
Speaker 14: Yes, Paul, I have Will Smith as not being in a movie that he filmed after the Slap with Chris Rock. There was movies that came out. Emancipation came out, but it was filmed already. It was his first new film.
Speaker 2: All right, so it's a comeback, yes, ton.
Speaker 7: I think there's a slapstick comedy in production. Sure, I thought I.
Speaker 2: Written Variety, Yeah, him and Chris Rock and a slapstick comedy. Yes see.
Speaker 3: I had a moment just yesterday that yeah, like sometimes it makes you feel old and you're like, oh I am I am the old guy right now. I went to go buy something and I, you know, like at the counter when you're paying the hap things, and I picked up something that looked interesting and was just looking at it and I was like, oh, I never had this or whatever, and the guy at the counter said, yeah, it slaps, and I was like I just looked at him, Like I don't hide my emotions very well, but I looked at him like, what the what are you talking about? It slaps? And I was like, oh wait, I'm old. That's what it is the problem right now is I'm old?
Speaker 2: Well what is slaps? I think it means that it's good, like cap.
Speaker 5: And no cap.
Speaker 2: That's that's a lie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's out anyway, there slaps. I was like, you mean it's good? That was how old I am?
Speaker 5: Now? Oh?
Speaker 2: You mean it's good?
Speaker 14: Right this day and sports history Paul nineteen twenty one, Babe Ruth became baseball's all time home run leader with one hundred and twenty home He broke the record of Roger Connor, who had it since eighteen ninety seven. Connor or Roger Connor, this is a big one. Nineteen seventy five, Payley signed a three year deal with the US based New York Cosmos and another Baby Ruth. Nineteen nineteen. The contract that moved in from Boston to the Yankees sold at auction four nine hundred ninety six thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: On this date, nineteen ninety six, Patrick Waw sixty three saves the Avalanche beat the Panthers four game sweep Stanley Cup Final. That's minding the net right there, Thank you, Todd. Steph Curry scores thirty eight. Warriors beat the Cabs. They go up three games to one en route to winning the Now that's right, Cleveland comes back to win it in seven.
Speaker 7: The Patriots of the NBA.
Speaker 2: That was twenty sixteen. D It's like they're up three to one. Oh, Steph, unbelievable. He's gonna be the MVP, and then all of a sudden game seven, Kyrie, come on down, Uh, Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 7: Marvin has prepared himself emotionally for Dan Hurley to leave. You come. Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened.
Speaker 2: Yep, no word yet on Hurley. Supposed to have practice coming up in about ten minutes from now. Seat no' connor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan Hurley osis one. He didn't break the news during the show.
Speaker 13: Marvin Jim Jackson said those old NBA arenas were raggedy.
Speaker 2: Paul, would you learn?
Speaker 14: I'm checking the latest.
Speaker 2: Still no word on Dan getting prepped before hitting the road. Cleaning up your headlights with McGuire's new Ultimate Headlight Restoration Kit. No tools required, it's quick, it's easy. The best part your headlights stay clear. And look good for over eighteen months. McGuire's reflect your passion. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. We'll try to do better tomorrow. Thanks for joining us.