Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, Everybody. This is Angela, Raie, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillam.
Speaker 3: You are who is Grillam?
Speaker 4: Let me try who was Grilla?
Speaker 3: Andrew Grillam? Welcome home everybody.
Speaker 1: This is Angela, Raie, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillam.
Speaker 3: Also know is Gorilla if you ask me on it his tongue.
Speaker 1: To day, you are tuned into this week's mini pot and this week we're talking about.
Speaker 3: The Olympics. Olympics music. That's the best I could do.
Speaker 4: Something like that, yea.
Speaker 3: So they start on July twenty six in Paris.
Speaker 1: Tiff and I did it bandswerk with the girls earlier this year or actually that was last year. Now it looks good, oh sure was. Hopefully there's no bad bugs. We didn't have any bad bugs, but we heard things about bag bugs.
Speaker 3: But hopefully y'all.
Speaker 1: Can run clear from those like Shakiri. I'll get to that later, but July twenty sixth to August eleventh, and I wanted to talk about some Olympics flashback moments because we were seeing some of these things.
Speaker 3: How many Olympics have we seen, y'all? I don't.
Speaker 4: The one I remember most was when I met Dominique Dawes in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: Where'd you meet her?
Speaker 4: I didn't meet her. I met her on TV in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: I thought, yeah, never mind, I thought you actually met her. Of course we do, but I thought you actually met her?
Speaker 1: Okay, but you didn't go to the Olympics. So nineteen ninety six, Atlanta, tip, what about you?
Speaker 2: The first Olympics? I remember Flow Joe in what was that, eighty eight eighty, the late eighty eighty it was eighty okay. She I just remember her being so pretty, She had these nails, she was running, you know, and it was any Even in the eighties, seeing people who look like us do anything was still a big deal. This wasn't social media. This was before every household had cable, you know. And I just remember watching her, literally Flow. I watched Flow Joel Flow.
Speaker 1: I would like to know, as our resident sports experts, please Trivia, I'm here to serve.
Speaker 2: What answer for you?
Speaker 3: Do you remember what races Flow ran in the Olympics?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, she ran the track, uh in field race?
Speaker 3: Which race? In the track and field race?
Speaker 2: She ran the one hundred meter dash? You sure, no, but that's race. I know.
Speaker 3: She ran und two hundred Oh boom.
Speaker 2: I'm because I'm so good. You are knowing when I don't even really be knowing.
Speaker 4: She was the four by four team.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't remember the four by four, but I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was four by four Angela. Let me tell you what she was running though. She was running circles around these holes on fashion, Yes she was.
Speaker 2: She would come.
Speaker 1: Through like the hood, the bodysuit, the one, the one. I'm definitely the nails, but I'm talking about the looks. Like all I wanted to do was be like flow Joe. So I respect that moment. We haven't. Well, we have a new flow Joe. I'm gonna get to my flash back. We have a new flow jo now. And she Carrie Richardson, and I just want to shout out this young sister because she has gone through so much. She had a great loss. I believe it was her grandmother who passed when during Olympic trials last time, and not the Olympic trials either.
Speaker 2: What was that was her mom. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was her.
Speaker 1: Mom had okay, give me together, sports expert, give me together. But the point is now to see her making the kind of comeback that she's having.
Speaker 3: It's like more polished.
Speaker 1: They can't come at her about no wei, they can't come at her about anything but being her very best.
Speaker 3: She won a rasee.
Speaker 1: I think it was one hundred that she won and ran and then she just had like this fall from grace that you you know, and you saw her getting dragged in the media and on social media andrew to the point of a recent podcast episode in ways that just are unimaginable for any young woman to face. And now she's made this comeback. She is bold, she's dope. She is winning left and right, and she's humble about it and incredible still in her on her platform.
Speaker 3: So I just want to shout her out.
Speaker 4: Yes, such less at home in her person.
Speaker 3: How about that? Come on?
Speaker 2: So it was her mom. It was a week before her Olympic tryouts.
Speaker 3: Her grandmother is always at her race as you're right.
Speaker 2: She was raised by her grandmother and her But a week before Olympic trials her she spoke out and said that her mom had passed away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well she is now.
Speaker 1: She is back with the vengeance and we expect to see great things from she.
Speaker 3: Carrie.
Speaker 1: So my flashback moment is the Dream Team. So I think you all will probably remember. But before nineteen ninety two, the Olympics had the United States Olympic team would always have basketball players from college, right They never and so they would win some, they would lose some, and somebody was like, well, why can't we play our pros. They decided that year that NBA players should make the team. And this particular Olympics was incredible for me. Nineteen ninety two. They had Magic, they had Jordan, they had John Stockton, they had Karl Malone, they had Patrick Ewing, they had Larry Bird.
Speaker 3: I mean McDonald did.
Speaker 2: Not have Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Yes, good, they did not. Okay, do we know why do you want to tell us sports expert?
Speaker 2: Well, this is only for my super insiders when it comes to sports. Purportedly because of the beef between Jordan and Isaiah Thomas or was it Magic and Isaiah Thomas, because both they both had beef, and they both had beef because the Pistons, who Isaiah Thomas played for, walked off the court without shaking hands with the Chicago Bulls. M HM, and Magic and Isaiah were cool. But then when they played each other in the game, they got into a little tussle, and so I guess they figure Magic and Jordan, we don't want Isaiah Thomas. You're welcome for that inside note that is so good.
Speaker 1: There was one college player selected on this team too. It was Christian Latner, who to this day, I'm sorry, Christian, I still don't like you because you stepped on that black man's chest from Kentucky back in the day.
Speaker 3: I still don't fool with you like that.
Speaker 2: What is that story.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you about it on another time because I just want to get to my dream his story, but I want you all to know that he was chosen. Just like Clyde Drexer was chosen over Isaiah Thomas, Christian Latner was chosen over Shack. I know they regret that because Christian Layner did not show up in the NBA like he did at Duke. So I digress. Now, the dream Team, this particular dream team, meant everything to me, and I think to so many kids adults alike all over the country. McDonald's. He even had the promos like they were going in hard. But this particular team, I don't know if y'all remember, but Magic Johnson announced he was retiring from the NBA in the fall of nineteen ninety one. This team was announced before his retirement announcement related to HIV AIDS and they still had Magic play. So it was our opportunity to see Magic play even after he retired from the league, and it was in. It was an incredible showing. And I'll tell y'all, I don't know if y'all noticed. Magic Johnson is my favorite basketball player of all times. I traded my cousin Leanne her my Michael Jordan card for her Magic Johnson basketball card.
Speaker 3: That's how much of a Magic Johnson I was.
Speaker 1: Because he was my favorite player. I wanted the Magic Johnson basketball card. Noven I made him your favorite player. Oh oh, I thought you were saying, why did I do the trade?
Speaker 3: No, he was my.
Speaker 1: Favorite player because he played with such like flawless grace, the way he did the no look passes, and he always I think I feel like he always preferred his teammates above himself. He was always happy. I loved his energy. He was dope handles.
Speaker 3: Like he just he was. He was smooth.
Speaker 2: He was smooth, and he knew he knew how to do the skyhook, which, according to HBO scripted series Winning Time, he was taught by Kareem Abd.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: According to the Winning Time series, did y'all watch Winning Time?
Speaker 3: Yes? I actually did watch it. I understand maginicing them don't like it that much.
Speaker 2: Hey what, I don't understand why that's so good?
Speaker 3: I mean, they make magic look a little out here, look at but you better watch it. That's still magic.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 3: I just got to tell you all feel about magic.
Speaker 4: Has a six summertime vacation with friends that I would love.
Speaker 2: They knew that vacation looks so fun. Our girl Hollie Robinson is on there.
Speaker 4: It's like fifty couples on a yacht.
Speaker 2: Miss Tina be there.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you all right, y'all.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. So any well, here's the thing. Before we get too far down the road on the yachts, I wanted to get back to the Olympics and just ask y'all, what are you looking for with this particular Olympics season. I'm gonna set election season, see how we condition see how we conditioned with this Olympics. What are y'all looking forward to? What competition? Which player, which star? Which who are you looking forward to seeing? What you're looking forward to seeing?
Speaker 2: Well, I know the answer to this, but I'll ask you guys, for the benefit of our viewers. Do they still do the Dream Team?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Then I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: A little on a dif. What's his name from the Knicks, Jaylen Brunson. I want to see him on the Dream Team? Have they announced the Dream Team? They have annound the Dream Team. Let's look at who's on this year's basketball team. You want to know the women are the are the men? Because there's a women? Well, I know who's not on the women's team. Kaitlyn Clark didn't make it. But Angel Reese didn't make it either. And though like I care about Angel Reese the most, just because I've heard the most about her, I don't know a lot of the other w NBA players for the NBA.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm trying to pull this up.
Speaker 1: Uh, Okay, So the NBA who is Bam bam out of bio from the Heat, Devin Booker from the Suns, Steph Curry, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Anthony Edward Jewel, and b Tyrese Halliburton.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know Tyrese Haliburton because he plays for the Pacers.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't finish Drew Holliday, Lebron Kawhi Leonard, and Jason Tatum.
Speaker 3: So you're beloved. Jalen Brunson will not be on this No. I didn't think he was, but I went to double check.
Speaker 2: He needs to rest up for next season. Ok So, now the NBA Draft is this week. There's no chance that any of those people will make it, too, because the team is already selected.
Speaker 3: The team is selected.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we want to talk about the women's players. Yes please, all right, let's see women's olympe manskin. All right, girl, let's see who's on this team? Because I don't remember either. Say that's funny. There's literally a Google resort. Why is Caitlin Clark not going to the Olympics. Here we go, uh Nefisa Collier, Kalia Copper, Chelsea Gray, Britney Griner, Sabrina I can never say her last name, and I Scuscu the one who beat Steph Curry or yeah in the Ayahuasca.
Speaker 3: Is she gonna fight you?
Speaker 1: Juel Lloyd, Kelsey Plumb who got handles, Breonna Stewart Stewie who was just on.
Speaker 3: The Seattle Storm and traded.
Speaker 1: I'm said, Diana Tarassi, Alissa Thomas, Asia Wilson, who we love Jackie Wilson, Yes, indeed, I don't know. I want to know why Don ain't coaching?
Speaker 2: How do they pick the coaches for these things?
Speaker 1: You know, that's a great question. I don't know they answer that.
Speaker 2: It's a great we if y'all know, drop a comment and tell us if y'all know how coaches are.
Speaker 1: No, it ain't a popularity contest, no changes, But yeah, I would definitely like to love to see Don and Asia Wilson is the best in the league.
Speaker 3: Got a shoe dropping? I mean, come on, question.
Speaker 2: Do we want.
Speaker 4: To go to the congratulations to miss Chell and Brittany.
Speaker 3: Yes, baby, love them.
Speaker 2: Do we want to go to the Olympics?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who are you paying for us to go? With your fifty three dollars?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, let's see who we sell his distribution to Bed and Fox. We wait here, y'all get a little gofund me crowd fund amongst your sales and get back to us so we can get y'all some good content on these I think I.
Speaker 3: Would pay to see you be the correspondent for sports.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be so.
Speaker 3: Good to be.
Speaker 1: So like, Okay, there's like on the soccer field. They're like, what's like this the US versus Brazil and there's a goal about to happen.
Speaker 3: Run me through that play by play? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, we see him coming down the field and we see I just want to take this quick moment and remind you guys that there's a lot of racism that happens among some of these soccer players on the field. We talked about it on Native lampod You can catch it anywhere you get your podcast. But wait here he comes goa know they know who it is because they're watching it.
Speaker 1: Number. Give me a number. Number. Okay, now, tip take me to the softball field. What's happening to softball?
Speaker 3: Is the softball? Okay?
Speaker 2: I actually don't know been in the basis com and around im question that fire.
Speaker 3: In my Hearts podcast cover.
Speaker 2: We just got kicked off doing Olympic coverage because they seriously should send us.
Speaker 3: Oh, softball is in the Olympics. I don't know why. I doubt it myself.
Speaker 2: I noticed, I'll notice in the Olympics. But they ain't got me on basketball anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Tip, I want you to do softball game because you said she's spinning the basis.
Speaker 2: It's spinning the bases. She's rounding first, she's coming in the second.
Speaker 3: Spitting the bases.
Speaker 4: No, not not first, sin it is. I was gonna make it. You're right, and then third, you're right, and then what happen? What happened?
Speaker 2: Base is anything over the close second base is under the close. Fourth, there is no fourth base. It's one, two, three. And then it's a home run, not.
Speaker 1: A home run home base because everybody doesn't always get a home run. You can hit a single, a double.
Speaker 2: I'll be I'll be fact checking that. I don't know, no problem.
Speaker 3: I would like for you to do it. Okay, Tip, last thing.
Speaker 2: But when you said a home run, what was the what would you say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a home run home run, but you also hit a single. You can hit a double.
Speaker 4: Means the number of people you bring home with your bat.
Speaker 2: But you said it's a home run, and what's the other word for it if it's not a home run?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't say that. I was telling you the other types of hits you can have.
Speaker 2: Oh single, double, home run, a triple. Okay, did you all know that Sometimes they ask one of the players on the baseball field to come off for no reason other than like, yeah, you tried, but now we're done, and the people applaud like good job. But I'd be embarrassed if they came out and it was like all right, Tiffany, like take a seat, we're putting in somebody else.
Speaker 1: You can't take somebody if they're like on the base, if they're if they're on, if they're on the outfield, if they're if they're not playing, what if they're at bat, they can't. They can't take them off the bat while.
Speaker 2: They're I don't like baseball, honest.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, let's movie person.
Speaker 2: I like it in person to a G I don't like why person is so boring, but I would go to the base.
Speaker 1: Is fun, but it's it's boring. I think watching on TV my dad records.
Speaker 4: I can't do it really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's serious. Papa Raie is very serious about all the sport.
Speaker 4: If if y'all can't school with two points, if two is the high of the sport, I'm likely not watching well.
Speaker 1: One thing that we want people to know is that in addition to the Olympics this summer, there is basically the Olympics happening in November.
Speaker 3: For this election and.
Speaker 1: The same way that you turn out to view the Olympics this summer, please make sure that y'all bring.
Speaker 3: It home, Andrew to bring it to home.
Speaker 1: Base and to your local precinct to vote in this falls election. And in the meantime, please make sure that you send us who you're rooting for. You might not be from the US, so maybe or maybe you are in the US, but you're still rooting for Team Brazil or Team Friends wherever. Let us know who you're rooting for in this Olympics and in what sport.
Speaker 3: We'd love to shout you out.
Speaker 1: You can also send it in because you know, our resident sports expert would be happy to have your support.
Speaker 3: Just she doesn't happy, but she just wants to include you.
Speaker 2: Happy to weigh in on and If you guys need people to root for, please feel free to drop a comment.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I.
Speaker 3: Would really like to see these responses.
Speaker 4: A whole bracket. I'm ready Olympic bracket. It's a revolutionary.
Speaker 3: Oh, we should do Olympic brackets. That would be fun.
Speaker 4: US US US US, except for the twenty seven year old eighteen year oldt Russia will put in.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe it could also be who you think will win?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I like it.
Speaker 1: Let's do a bracket, but it will look different than like a normal kind of a tournament bracket. It'll look slightly different because it's all these sports. So we could just say, like, who we think will win in each of the sports?
Speaker 4: Love the track and field. Swim can be entertaining.
Speaker 3: Swim is very entertaining. Gymnastics too, Gymnastics is entertaining too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need cis from I need cis from U C L A. Who be sea walking on the during the mat? What's the mad thing called, Andrew? I really don't know what the math thing is called the floor?
Speaker 3: What's that called floor exercise?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is that what it's called?
Speaker 1: Okay that I want I want sys to be seawalking, to be on the team.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Skating can be entertaining to when they when they be you know, capping each other at the knees prior.
Speaker 3: To We don't want that party offering.
Speaker 2: There's the Summer Olympics. They're not there's no ice skating.
Speaker 3: They have ice skating, they don't have figure skating.
Speaker 2: But it's a summer Olympics. There's no ice skating in the Summer Olympics, is it.
Speaker 4: I thought the skating in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's ice skating, I know, but it's inside.
Speaker 4: Short short, short, short, short things.
Speaker 3: It is no hockey in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I don't think in the Summer Olympics.
Speaker 4: Dang hockey can be entertaining.
Speaker 1: Tiffany our resident sports experts, y'all. I just thought since it was inside, they could figure out the temperature.
Speaker 3: But that's fine, okay, Well move right along. We are officially done.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they will hire somebody else to do the sports commentary for sports.
Speaker 2: When you got three people here available.
Speaker 1: But if Tiff is ready to go, I am not ready to make a fool out of myself and some of these sportsball, yeah, basketball, but I can't.
Speaker 3: I thought it was figure skating. Still, I was very confused. Andrew wants to do swim.
Speaker 1: Andrew could do swim, field, track and field, track and field.
Speaker 3: Okay, Andrew's doing track and field on basketball?
Speaker 2: Which you doing basketball? I can do track and field. I'm gonna be like that boy fast.
Speaker 1: As Thanks for listening, y'all. Remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Welcome Home.
Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with the Reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.