Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to save your prediction of iHeartRadio. I'm Annie Reeve.
Speaker 2: And I'm Lauren Vogelbaum, and today we have an episode for you about Southern style cafeteria dining.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and we had to be specific because there's a lot of different types of cafeteria dining.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and this is a kind of particular one, and we figured it's worthy of its own of its own episode. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I, even though I already know the answer, I asked the question, Lauren, was there any reason was on your mind?
Speaker 2: Well, you suggested it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 2: So Father's Day just passed this past weekend, and so I was asking Annie if she had any Dad related still that she might want to talk about, and she she mentioned, did you mention a specific one or just like just like cafeteria style restaurants in general?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just said cafeteria style. But then you followed up and I was like, these are the two which I now know. The other one was that I couldn't remember the name. These are the two that I associate with my dad.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yes, I, perhaps perhaps embarrassingly, have spent twenty years in Atlanta and have never been to any of these to any of the chains of these places. I still have never set foot in a Piccadillys, but but I have been many times to like like privately owned independent ones. So here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that totally counts. Yeah, And it was really interesting to read about. And I there are some things that I've just never considered that they were, like the invention up the tray. Yeah, okay, I haven't thought about that. My dad, It's funny every time you ask me and I send you a bunch of topics, and like, all but two of them are very southern. He was a very he loved Southern food, and when we were growing up to celebrate things, he wanted to go to what was at first a Morrison's and then became a Piccadillies, which we will talk about, which to me is a child, I was a little I don't want to say condescending, but I was like, we could go anywhere, and we're driving thirty minutes to this cafeteria and I've confessed before, I'm really nervous holding the tray. Oh sure, yeah now, and then even as a kid, I was like, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna drop it.
Speaker 1: Do you know how clumsy I am. A real nerve wracking experience for me, But I do get like he loved it. He I've also said he loved liver and onions, and you couldn't get that in too many places, but a lot of the cafeterias had it. But he just I think he loved the affordability of it. He grew up in that mindset of like you're getting this price, and he loved that there were all these options. And you know, even me as a kid who was like we could have gone somewhere else, I did like like it was sort of fun to see like, oh look at all these options.
Speaker 2: Yeah damn, what will it be? And I get to pick exactly what I want and it's not like yeah yeah, sure yeah.
Speaker 1: And I did like the food. It was just sort of, I guess for some reason, to.
Speaker 2: Me, I was like, this is not fancy, like we were talking about it. This is normal, This is normal. Yeah, what is fancy about this? I see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he loved it. He loved it. Well, yeah you can see. I mean, we're going to talk about a lot of the are mentioned, at least a lot of the foods featured at these types of establishments here, but a lot of Southern foods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, it's I list a lot of them. Just kind of take it from there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, in automats.
Speaker 2: Oh and automats definitely sure.
Speaker 1: The automat episode. Okay, So this brings us to question Southern style cafeterias. What are they?
Speaker 2: Well, American Southern style cafeterias are restaurants where you typically order by going up to a series of stations inside the restaurant and picking a number of dishes to make up your meal you have and workers will add the dishes to your tray or scoop them onto a plate on your tray, which you then take, hopefully safe and sound, to a table in the dining room where you eat your meal. You pay at the end of the line when you order, and can add a beverage, which might be handed to you or brought around to your table by an attendant, or might be self serve. Something like a yeast roll or a piece of corn bread is usually included, and you can usually add a dessert like a pie or a banana pudding to your order. The dishes tend to be local Southern style comfort foods, proteins might be roasted or barbecued or breaded and deep fried. Sides might be a stewed veg or bean dishes, cast rolls of various kinds pastas like spaghetti or mac and cheese. Sometimes spaghetti and meat sauce is considered a protein that's a little bit granular. For this episode, I needed to mention it out loud, but anyway, the concept is sometimes called a meat in three because the typical order is a meat in three sides, though many as often do have pricing for like a meat in two, for a play of four sides, or for ordering things a la carte. The concept is considered a little nostalgically old fashioned, and a lot of the dishes tend towards a little old fashioned like kind of heavy and salty and soft, really stick to your ribs satisfying sort of things. Though. This style of restaurant is really homey but also really structured.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a.
Speaker 2: Choose your own adventure book but for but for eating.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I have to say, my dad was not the only fan like people have such nostalgias.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh.
Speaker 1: So my condescending child, I understand and now I want to go back and try to.
Speaker 2: Get Yeah, yeah, I was. This was a very hungry episode for me. I was really mad that I wasn't eating everything I'm about to talk about. Yes, anyway, okay, acknowledge here at the top that yes, there are other types of cafeterias out there. They have the same route and the same style of service, but evolved into their own thing, you know, like a cafeteria at a school, a hospital, prison, office building, shopping mall ikea, or like a fast casual concept like a Boston Market or Chipotle. Those are different than what we're talking about today. We do absolutely want to hear about other cafeterias, right in.
Speaker 1: Let us know.
Speaker 2: Do you have a local one that serves specific local things. Yes, tell us about it, please, thank you. Also, not all meet and threes have cafeteria style service. Some do table service, some are buffets. But yeah, here we are so all that being said, Southern style cafeterias tend to be places you would go for lunch specifically. Some are open for dinner, maybe brunch on weekend. A lot of the chains, especially are very bright and like sterile feeling, maybe a little institutional, But some of the independent ones are either fancier or kind of dive heer. There's often an egalitarian sort of feel to them these days. You know, at the table next to you, you might see folks you know or folks from a completely different walk of life. There's usually a kitchen in the back where they prepare the food, often inan like big service tubs, and then either like a bar, or a number of separate stations with warming trays or warming lamps where you can look at the dishes on offer and pick what you'd like, like a buffet, but each station has an attendant who is serving you rather than you serving yourself. Traditionally, anything that can be served with an ice cream scoop probably is, and the dishes often rotate, with different things on offer every day, sometimes on a schedule, like meat loaf is on Mondays, fried catfish is on Tuesdays, that kind of thing, But the dishes really can vary based on where you are and like the general price point of the restaurant in question, Like there are absolutely cafeterias that will serve you a slice of prime rib or some nice roasted trout or like sautage shrimp. Mouse cafeterias are on the more affordable side, though, and serve less expensive proteins like lots of chicken and pork. So you've got you know, your fried chicken, chicken, fried steak, fried pork chops, fried catfish or cod or whiting. Maybe honey baked ham, roasted chicken, roasted turkey, non fried pork chops, they do exist, blackened fish, barbecued pork ribs or pulled chicken or pork. Maybe some meatloaf, chopped steak, beef tips, pot roast. Also Okay, I didn't know exactly where to put this note, but I need to inform you that gravy can and will be ladled on top of any protein or starch. If you're fancy, you got a choice between your white gravy and your brown gravy.
Speaker 1: That is your own adventure.
Speaker 2: Indeed, that is up to you. Cheese Wisely, the sides are often the kind of things that take a long time to cook but are easy to batch, the sort of things you might otherwise see at like a family supper on a nice Sunday or at a Thanksgiving or maybe a good cookout, So like collards or mustard or turnip greens cooked down with hot pepper and vinegar until they're just silky, creamy squash or broccoli casserole topped with bread crumbs and plenty of melty cheese, baked beans in a sauce of brown sugar and tomato, or maybe some lighter hop and john or like just simple stewed butter beans or black eyed peas, soufflated sweet potato or carrot casserole, or stewed apples, also sugary that they should probably be classified as desserts, but they're not. Green beans stewed within an inch of their life, probably with pork product in. They're always ask if you're vegetarian, stewed or fried okra, creamed corn, corn on the cub, potatoes mashed or baked or French fried, or hash browned ice play in our seasoned hush puppies, which if you have never been to the South and have never had there, these like savory fried dumplings, and you should come to here and you should eat them because they're so good, really important, very usually some kind of like super stew like maybe chili or brunswick or chicken and dumplings, a side salad, a jello salad, a potato or macaroni salad, cole slaw, tomato and cucumber salad. Desserts could include like a scoop of cobbler or a slice of pie, a big ol' wiggly block, or maybe some cubes of jello, puddings of various flavors, maybe layer cake or strawberry shortcake. Like, the South is big and there are lots of local specialties. For example, if you're in Texas, you might get enchiladas. If you're in Louisiana there might be gumbo. If I have not mentioned your favorite menu item, it is not a personal slight except for you. You know what you did? No no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: I love you. Please write in, please wad in. In terms of beverages, fancier and or dive, your joints might serve beer and wine, but the drinks are generally non alcoholic soft drinks, iced tea, have hot tea, hot coffee. You know, I highly recommend getting yourself a sweet tea and just seeing God through the sugar rush.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, gets your hush buck, get your sweet tea. I have to say, you know, looking back to as a child, I didn't know half the things work, huh. But the jello. I love how so many people brought up the jello because you could see it just.
Speaker 2: Shining and gleaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you knew it was coming. Yeah, yeah, all these choices you had to make. Well, speaking of what about the nutrition.
Speaker 2: Really depends, really really depends.
Speaker 1: That's up to you, buddy. Yep. Indeed, well we do have some numbers for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. So this type of restaurant is rare enough these days that market reports on the American restaurant industry do not always include standalone cafeterias as their own category. In fact, most of the reports that I saw did not. So, however, there certainly are still chains and independence in operation. At one this family owned Houston cafeteria called Cleeburn, they estimate that seventy percent of their customers are regulars.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I was actually watching a kind of mini documentary about it before this, and it was really sweet because they were just kind of walking around and interviewing people and they're like, yeah, I've been coming here with my family for x amount mini generations.
Speaker 2: Every week or even every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And some people would come you know, lunch in dinner or like they I think they referred to it at one point as like the dining room.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, people treating it like their own home.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, in a nice way, in a friendly way. Yeah yeah, definitely, definitely. Well, we are going to talk more about Cleveborn and some other places because there is quite a history here to one.
Speaker 2: Pack there there is, and we are going to get into that as soon as we get back from a quick break.
Speaker 3: For a word from our sponsors, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sponsor, Yes, thank you. Okay, So, as we said, we are focusing on Southern style cafeteria dining for this episode, but briefly, according to several sources, the idea of cafeteria style dining like this was introduced at Chicago's Columbian Exposition in eighteen ninety three by John Krueger, and Krueger was inspired by Sweden's Schmorgasbors, so he set up a restaurant to showcase where he thought this type of dining could go. In Kruger's mind, this type of restaurant should serve affordable, light foods, and he called them cafeterias. Millions of people attended this event, and we're exposed to this idea, and after this we see the branching of two interpretations of this idea, the automat and the cafeteria. In eighteen ninety eight, William and Samuel Childs introduced the tray and trey line format at one of their New York restaurants. And this is where I was like, I've never thought about who invented the tray, but I'm not saying they did. But I was like, I've never even considered this, and I should have. Share. Customers liked trays because in their minds it was cleaner. The whole concept of this style of dining may have been in part popularized by Henry Ford of Ford Motors, who really sold this idea of assembly style production. In the nineteen tens, cafeterias modeled after this one started opening around the country, but they particularly took off in the South. The Southern style cafeteria was popular for restauranteurs for many reasons similar to what we discussed in our automatic episode. It was an example of cuisine that was consistent, efficient, and in this case, fairly cheap. On top of that, this was a time of a lot of industrialization and an evolution of what work looked like a lot of folks were moving from farming to working in a factory. In some fields, people had perhaps had the time to go home for lunch, but they didn't have that time anymore. On top of this, more and more people were moving to cities, but they may have still craved the homie food from the more rural areas that they grew up in, or even from going home for lunch. Restaurant purveyors saw an opportunity in that to cater to all of this, some cafeterias started opening and offering something like a meat and three plate. It was quick, affordable, clean, and offered many options for workers on their lunch break.
Speaker 2: And part of the draw here, especially during the leaner times of like the nineteen teens and twenties, was this baked and emphasis on minimizing expensive meat and filling up on generous portions of vegetable and starch based sides. Nutritional science was also kind of starting to happen around this time and was recommending this style of plate building.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, okay. The food itself was very traditionally Southern, very homey, comforting. Perhaps, as discussed, a lot of these dishes trace back to the recipes and influences of enslaved West Africans.
Speaker 2: Also important to note these are places that were most likely segregated before up until the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 1: So yes, okay, So a lot of the big chains when we're talking about this category started opening in the nineteen twenties. If I don't mention your favorite, I'm sorry and write in Also, these are abbreviated histories, otherwise this episode would be ridiculously along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least a few of these. We could go on for a whole, solid, normal, forty five minute episode about.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I was starting to feel fear in my heart.
Speaker 2: So certainly, if we ever get around to traveling again, I would love to, you know, do some oral history with some locals about you know, whichever whichever chain is pertinent. But anyway, here we are, Yes, here we are. So.
Speaker 1: One of the first was a chain called Morrisons that popped up in the nineteen twenties. It was first opened in Mobile, Alabama and founded by Ja Morrison. This restaurant aim to provide these fresh, homey, pre cooked options that were financially within reach, and people really took to it, and over time the chain balloon to one hundred and fifty locations across the United States. Each of them offered over one hundred items that were made that day, and many of the offerings were based on region. This chain remained popular until the nineteen eighties, which you might hear see you might see a eighties come a lot. We'll talk about that later. Most of their locations were eventually bought by competitor Piccadilly, Inc. There is one still operating under the name Morrison's Immobile, and you can actually find a lot written about it, and a lot of it is really endearing, so recommend but that that is That's definitely what happened. When I was missing to you, I was like, I know it used to go buy one name and it went by a different name. It was this there you go which speaking of Thomas J. Costas opened a small cafeteria in Baton Rouge, Louisiana called Piccadilly in nineteen thirty. Two years later, in nineteen forty four, a businessman who had experience working in the cafeteria business named Tandy Hannibal Hamilton purchased this cafeteria.
Speaker 2: Good name, Oh Southerners with their names like that, miled.
Speaker 1: Tandy is in quotes and everybody refers to him as Tandy, and I'm like, I don't know him that way. I can't refer to him as Tandy, So I'm referring to him as Hamilton. Yes, but I understand that. I guess Tandy is what he really went by anyway. Hamilton had worked and learned as a chef previously during his time as a soldier in France. In nineteen eighteen, when he returned to the United States, he started working as a Sioux chef in Texas. According to some sources, the lack of affordable housing caused by the oil boom and the state meant that he and his wife lived in a tent city and gave birth to their daughter there. They then moved to Kansas City, where Hamilton got a job with the chain The Forum Cafeterias, eventually rising up to earn a position as a chef and later the general manager of the chain. Inten thirty four, a little less than a decade later, he felt limited in his job growth opportunities, so he decided he wanted to see about starting his own cafeteria style restaurant. Its purchasing Piccadilly. Despite wartime rations of the time, Hamilton tapped his friends and set to work expanding, opening restaurants in various states, and like we see so often in these episodes, he was really big on consistency and he tested a lot of the recipes himself. But he was also big on incorporating local taste. He really wanted franchises to have their own input. Once submitted, if approved, the recipes they might send would be used at every restaurant. They even developed this whole system based on minimizing food waste and cost. They got pretty specific, like how to cut meat. There's actually a really long paper you canus that I appreciate and enjoy. But they got they really got down to the nitty gritty of the whole thing. Their growth in the South really expanded in the nineteen fifties and in the sixties they were operating as far as Arizona. The fortieth Thiccadillies opened at Decatur, Georgia's South to capmol And nineteen seventy one. When I read this, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, oh, yeah, that's just right down the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure. The number of locations doubled by the eighties. Well Yes, here's another one. In the nineteen forties, Bob Louby established Looby's, which went on to become one of the country's first cafeteria chains. His father, Harry had opened New England Dairy lunch Cafeterias Missouri in nineteen eleven. After Bob took over, the chainsaw a lot of growth, first in Texas and then elsewhere. By the eighties they had sixty three locations, primarily in Texas. And people are so they remember this so fondly. Absolutely, Yeah, yes, But unfortunately we do have to mention in nineteen ninety one there was a mass shooting at a Luby's, including Texas. It was the most fatal mass shooting in the US until two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, at a certain point, I guess speaks to the way that these sorts of places can become centers of community. Unfortunately, in terms of a tragedy like that. Lubies celebrated their seventy fifth anniversary in twenty twenty three, though, and put out displays in some locations of vintage cookwear and photos of their staff and customers from years past.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I don't think we've mentioned but a lot of people have discussed how they have like Thanksgiving meals. You can have a Thanksgiving meal at a lot of these places. Yeah, yeah, a lot of people fondly remember Louvie's Thanksgiving mill. I love that. Greek immigrant Nick mckellis purchased a cafeteria in Houston in nineteen fifty two, allegedly at the behest of his wife. According to some, he originally wanted to turn it into a barbecue joint, but a bunch of the regulars really pushed back. We're like, no, no, cafeteria, you will not be doing that. So he's stuck with the idea he learned from the original owners and Cleveborne Cafeteria became incredibly popular. It already was, but it really took off. People love it, and again, they just have these fun memories of it. It's really beautiful to hear people talk about it. Yeah. Yeah. And in twenty sixteen, the restaurant burned down and a huge outpouring of support followed and they reopened more than a year later, and they were all these interviews with people who were so relieved that it really Yeah, and this was the second time the restaurant had been devastated. By a fire and had kind of the community support come around and helped them build back up. Yeah, but, as we've been mentioning alluding to, this style of dining did go downhill. It became less popular, at least widely in the mainstream, and a lot of things contributed to that. The introduction and proliferation of fast food restaurants started chipping away at the popularity of cafeteria style dining beginning in the nineteen sixties. By the nineteen eighties, Americans started viewing this style of dining as old fashioned and not in the fun way. I guess. Not only that, but over the next few decades we saw the rise of fashion casual dining, which some argue was just another iteration of cafeteria style dining in some cases, at least since a lot of the restaurants were located in malls. The decline of the mall didn't help either. The one we went to was in.
Speaker 2: A mall, yeah, in or sometimes in the same like lot ash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they are not all gone, and in a lot of places they're going strong still. Even if it is just a single local restaurant like Cleve Burn's, that place is going yeah.
Speaker 2: No forever. Yeah, in some chains during this general time period, like Loubi's and Morrison's got into institutional dining, like cafeterias at universities or hospitals or corporate parks, so pivot, pivot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Piccadilly filed for bankruptcy twice in the early two thousands. They tried it to go concept that never really seemed to take off as early as the nineteen nineties, and then, as you might imagine, COVID hit this style of restaurant pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, COVID hit the whole restaurant industry pretty hard. Interestingly, some buffets switched to cafeteria style service during the pandemic in order to like minimize customer interaction with with serving utensils and to be able to install like full guards instead of just sneeze guards. But yeah, you know, it's partially due to all the reasons listed above about fast food, fast casual chains stuff like that, and also some of the people for whom this has been a big nostalgic thing are getting older and maybe not going out as much. But some cafeterias have like opened up online ordering and take out and delivery options or have moved into catering or doing like mobile pop ups stuff like that to try to attract newer audiences. It's I feel like I was like, oh, back to Lauren's Killjoy Corner over here. So, like a larger issue in the restaurant industry is profit margins and the rising costs of ingredients and overhead, especially like energy and rent. You know, because like restaurants and especially independent joints are expensive to run, and they are difficult to work, and they don't typically make a lot of money. Yet you know, they are a vital joy in a community, gathering places and incubators of culture. So yeah, when you can support local, if there's a place that you have nostalgia for, go go there. Eat some hutchpipies.
Speaker 1: There was one There was one mom and pop version of this that my dad really loved, and it was in Cleveland, which was also like a thirty because.
Speaker 2: I Georgia, not Cleveland, Ohio to be specific.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I didn't mention, but I grew up where I grew up. When I was growing up, there was we had to drive a long time to get to these restaurants. That was part of the reason I was kind of like why, but he really loved this one in Cleveland, and it was it was you could tell it was a place people came like they had their regulars and they knew what the specials were every day, and there was something about it that just felt like, oh, i'd somebody. There was a quote I read somewhere that was like, it feels like my grandmother's in the back cooking. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I like a lot of the things that I read from people who opened one of these however long ago, or who took over from from a parent said but you know, they wanted to keep doing it because they wanted to cook like their grandparents cooked, and they wanted to keep that style of food alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do recommend what one of the little indie places that I have been to a lot back when our offices were in Pont City Market here in Atlanta is a place across the street called Eats, which is just lovely, lovely.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's also a place that like people who have been or like you get the cheer wine or you have all these like specific right. Yeah, it was fun. That's a good one. Yeah, But we would love to hear from you listeners any thoughts about this, And as we said, we were focusing on this specific style, but we know it exists outside. Oh yeah, so anywhere right in? Yeah, let us know, Oh please please please.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, I think that is all that we have to say about Southern style cafeterias for now.
Speaker 1: It is, But that does bring us to listener mail. We have already received.
Speaker 2: It does, and we are going to get into that as soon as we get back from one more quick break forward from our sponsors.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sponsor, Yes, thank you, and we're back.
Speaker 1: With listen lot. Oh, we didn't even talk about trey etiquette.
Speaker 2: That's sorry, that's my bad. That should have been in the about section at the top. There there is deep tray etiquette about, like like, you know, making sure how you face yourself in the tray line next to other customers, about how you jostle and handle your tray so that you're not because it's usually on these little metal rails and you don't want to jostle too hard so that you make a bunch of noise. If you pass the station and you decide you wanted something from there, I think it's gone. I think you have to It's forward only it's like any S games and you're Mario. You have to keep going. There's no going back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See can't you see why an anxious child we view this as such a shore. Yeah? Yeah, I was so nervous. My dad's having the time of his.
Speaker 4: Life anyway, Okay, Ramble wrote, Hi, all, Your Dorito's episode brought to mind a wonderful karma memory.
Speaker 1: I had a truly a whole boss showed up to an art opening. This was in the early nine and he was wearing his new white suit. Oh no, he was double fisting doritos and cheese curls and discovered there were no napkins or public restrooms. After seeing that his hands were orange and he was wearing a white suit, he spent the rest of the opening with his hands away from his body. I so enjoyed that. Thank you, Doritos. Wow, a white suit.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: A lot of mistakes were made here.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's uh yeah, being a guy wearing a white suit and double staying doritos and cheese and that is bold. That is a number of bold choices to have made, and it sounds like he really deserved it.
Speaker 1: So Also, it sounds like somebody might have set this up, because if there are no napkins, somebody either was like, I'm going to get some people, or it's like a a mishap happened, something fell through the cracks. But I don't know. Maybe this smith this was a setup. It could be.
Speaker 2: It could be a total coincidence. It could be a setup from the universe. You never know.
Speaker 1: I do think double fisting, like I would I get like one if I had a fistful, But if I'm going for both, that's really yeah, that is that's flying.
Speaker 2: Right there. Yeah yeah, Oh the cheesy son. It's my favorite son to fly too close too. Tracy wrote, I just finished putting together and a low Ta pasta salad as I wrote in about potato salad, and felt morally obliged to write to you about pasta salad. I agree with Lauren. As a pasta lover and a exture first person, there is a lot that can go wrong with pasta salad. The tip about overcooking the noodles is one hundred percent effective. I suggest at least one minute beyond the box instructions, here are a few other tricks to improve the pasta salad experience. First, make the dressing in a large bowl and pour the hot, freshly drained pasta into the dressing. It will absorb the dressing, preserving flavor and improving texture. Wants the pasta cools. This is best for vinegarette, but with a mayo based dressing. Let the pasta cool for a few minutes before adding it. Second, save some pasta water. As with any good pasta dish, saving some of the warm water filled with starch granules and adding it to the pasta when tossing it in the sauce will help thicken the sauce and with adherence to the noodles. I do this with pasta salads too. When the pasta is cooling and absorbing the dressing, it will help keep things smooth. I don't know if there is a scientific reason why, but I just applied the pasta logic and it worked, so I kept doing it. Third, a minimum of four hours in the fridge before serving is essential for flavor melding. Last, if serving at a cookout, keep the salad in an insulated bag or cooler on ice. No one wants a warm snack or food poisoning, so keep it chilled. Side note balsamic vinegar is a great topic suggestion. Apparently white balsamic is not really balsamic in the dop definition yeast poop and legal semantics. Sounds like a great episode to me. Thank you for giving me an excuse to go through my mom's recipes. It brought me a lot of joy, as do all of your episodes. Wishing you and your team well in these weird times. And Tracy also sent in recipes for Greek pasta salad and tortellini pasta salad. If anyone would like them, yes.
Speaker 1: Just contact us. They sounded delicious and I do love the tortellini pasta salad was just her mom's shorthand, and I think it was for like one hundred and eighty people.
Speaker 2: Oh my heck yeah.
Speaker 1: And so she was like, here's how you cut.
Speaker 2: It down to, you know, a normal human size.
Speaker 1: But it was funny because there's a picture of it. I was reading it like, I don't know what, I don't understand. I can't comprehend.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's too many tortellini, but.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic because my mom does that too. And I read it, I'm like I think she.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, if you're only ever making it for a whole cookout full of people, then why would do you need it for a four person serving. That's the ridiculous part.
Speaker 1: I think it was twelve packs of tortellini hoofda, it was. It was it was the serious business.
Speaker 2: I'll say, all of this sounds like serious business, so it does.
Speaker 1: I love the tips. Very professional makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We've also heard other people about their their pasta salad techniques and recipes, and there's just such a huge range and I kind of adore it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's yeah. As as I was saying in that one, you know, like at a certain point I was just listing foods that can go into anything. I was like, I have I have to stop because otherwise I'm just listing literally every food on the planet.
Speaker 1: But Super Producer Andrew chimed in with the caesar pasta salad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with a good caesar dressing.
Speaker 1: Sure I can see that. Also, Yes, I feel like assamic vinegar is up there with olive oil in terms.
Speaker 2: Of hey, i think we've been avoiding it.
Speaker 1: Nerves that I think about it, but.
Speaker 2: I think I think that it would be a little bit more contained there are a bunch of different varieties that yeah but yeah absolutely when of one of my favorite things on the planet, so tasty, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah ma too these poop and legal semantics you know how win is over not know here here we are on board. Well, Thank you so much to both of those listeners to writing in. If you would like to try to us, you can our emails hello at saborpod dot com.
Speaker 2: We're also in social media. You can find us on Blue Sky and Instagram at savre pod, and we do hope to hear from you. Save is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Thanks as always to our super producers Dylan Fagan and Andrew Howard. Thanks to you for listening, and we hope that lots more good things are coming your way.