Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: That's just you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven Productions. iHeart radio, iHeart media, iHeart podcasts. We are gonna break down a year in the life Fall recap. I'm joined by partial intrepid crew, but pretty darn intrepid in their own right. Suzanne French, Tyre suit, Amy and Danielle will be joining us momentarily. And uh, are we gonna do a recap? Or you want to just get right into this?
Speaker 4: Should we start with overall thoughts?
Speaker 1: Or should we Okay, So I'm going to chime in here. I thoroughly enjoyed this. Yeah, I thought that it was I always try to look at these as movies and not to TV shows. It's an hour and a half. It's a whole different structure, as I've said before. And I thought Amy did a fantastic job of infusing all of her influences, I mean, from Fellini to Fincher. I saw her give a nod to so many different directors in this film. I thought the Light and Death Brigade stuff was magic. I thought the Luke and laurel ized stuff was fraught with tension and just great. I thought the Jess stuff was great. I thought a lot of it, and I thought Alexis was great. I thought the entire I thought the story or telling was spot on. I think it's really hard and plus it didn't seem like Gilmore Girls at all when it's in a film format, because it's taking more time, it's breathing, it's more open. You're getting close up of people reacting to things and feeling things and emoting things. We can read thoughts without words. And then at times it kicks in to our old familiar Gilmour banter right to bring us back in to it. It's like, oh, yes, this is but so it had the DNA, but it also Amy infused it with her love of dance, her love of cinema, because she's not just a TV gal, right, I mean she's an erudite, accomplished consumer of film and literature and anything pop culture obviously, and it was all infused into this film. And I thought as a film as a romantic comedy or a dramedy, it worked on every level and I enjoyed every single part of it. Blew me away Blew Me Away could have stood alone if they released it as a film, like here you go, fans, let's let's release it into three thousand theaters. I bet it would have done pretty darn well.
Speaker 5: No, and you watched it before, I mean no, you haven't.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I had to do a dr on our you know, my big speech in the kitchen with Laura when she returns from wilding. So i'd seen that before, Okay, but that's pretty much it. I think I did a little a dr on the just scene when the when the flower broke over me oh h covered flower. Yeah, but I hadn't seen anything else, and I was I was shocked, surprised and delighted by all of it. Yeah, I mean in the first act, I was just like wow, Wow, Wow, what an accomplishment. And I was so happy for Amy Sherman Palladino because somebody had given her the money and the means to make what really, you know, goes on in her head in a film makes sense and get it up on screen. She had free life, pretty much, free license to do what she wanted. I thought she did a beautiful job, a beautiful job. Yeah, And I think a real contribution to the Gilmour Cannon. I don't see it as my whole opinion of these episodes has changed. You know, some are week better than others. But this was just wow, krem de la creme, and actually kind of it was almost like, I hate to use the term. I don't want to say autopsy of the series or a post mortem of the series, but it kind of rightfully ended it in a way, you know what I'm saying. It's like, it's like all the loose ends were tied up pretty much, except of course you've got this, yeah, the cliffhanger, the four words at the end, right which opens it all back up again. But I just thought, what a delight, and they kept honoring Richard appropriately and those were big moments. And I really do like how they did the elopement and the wedding, but there's still more room for storytelling. I just loved it all. I loved it all anyway, I'll shut up you guys chime in.
Speaker 5: I also loved it, and I also realized I hadn't watched it in a really long time. I think I kind of avoid it because it's like the end, like the end, the end, kind of like how Amy avoided, you know, the last episode of the series. But what stood out to me, and again I agree with everything you said, Scott, but I thought the directing, like the camera work was so interesting that I actually looked up and I noticed it was Amy who directed it, and and the camera work was so interesting, the way like it would turn or it was like kind of it seemed like a handheld I don't know the like terminology of.
Speaker 1: A lot of those shots were on a dolly, which is actually like a train track. It's a mini train track for yeah, for the platform that the camera sits on so you can can it smoothly move And.
Speaker 5: It's like my favorite scene and we'll get to it, but was when Rory is alone in her grandparents' house, Like that was my favorite scene, just the way it was shot.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about how this is the best episode ever?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 5: I wrote out of text to you last night. I deleted it because I was like, I need to wait, but I was like I needed to know what you thought of the just.
Speaker 2: I feel like he redeems it.
Speaker 4: I cannot handle this episode. It was everything I needed and then some. And I just wish all four were like this because it was so Gilmore Girls in every heart, every scene was Gilmore Girls, and I, oh my god, I'm just so happy it ended this way, like so thrilled me too.
Speaker 1: Me too. I think it's the you know, it gave me this. I mean, it opened up a whole new world. It's like, why is an Amy Sherman Paladina writing and directing films? I think she likes the immediacy of TV and the length and the width and the breadth and the depth of the storytelling that she can accomplish in a short period of time with TV because she does it at such a high level. But what she would be a great film director too. Oh, I mean just some of those like the shots like Tara, that shot of Rory opening up her laptop in Richard's office and starting to write her boss. The lighting there, it was gorgeous. It was like the beautiful movie shots.
Speaker 4: And there we was there was I feel like every loop was closed, Like That's what I loved about it. It's just every but then obviously left on a massive cliffhanger, but it just felt like we got closure on a lot on a loaned mm hmm.
Speaker 3: It was definitely the most cinematic of the four episodes, and I have to also, you know, give props to the set decoration, Like absolutely, the whole Life and Death Brigade thing, I thought that was a little drawn out, but visually lighting with it, it was so stunning. And then the whole wedding scene that's kind of the Alice in Wonderland theme, Like it just was like this magical Wonderland.
Speaker 1: Did not take your breath away. When Rory went into the stars Hollow Gazette at night and she was having that you know, this felliniesque experience outside with the crow talking to her, Yeah, you know all that, and the guy going by on a unicycle predicting doom and all stuff.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was It was so Italian noir.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of references to other things as well, like at the end of should we just jump into it, guys, because I feel.
Speaker 1: Like I wrote them down, but I mean that when she's inside and then she and then the camera comes around and gets a little bit behind her and we see three of the Light and Death Brigades coming emerging from the mist, it was like, wow, it was so beautiful. I'm gonna watch this again to you.
Speaker 4: I already watched twice. I'm gonna watch it third, fourth, Ye, I want.
Speaker 1: To watch it again.
Speaker 5: It was I mean, I have to admit I want to watch episode one again, like of the whole series right after because I was like, it can't end.
Speaker 4: This was like an hour and forty minutes. It was the longest before. It felt like twenty It felt so short. I don't know how to explain it. I was just hooked and fully invested the whole.
Speaker 1: What a gift, What a gift to the fans, you know, I mean, what a gift. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Amy Sherman peld you know, for this brilliant piece of filmmaking, brilliant on every level. It's like, as witty as the banter she creates, as funny as she can write, as dramatic as she can write. She also knows what the hell to do with a camera. She knows how to move a camera. And it's like, wow, what a what a what a talent? My gosh, my gosh. Anyway, should we even bother synopsizing? Yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so gosh, there is so much to talk about. So we start out. Lorelai is doing wild in air quotes. She's got this crazy backpack that is practically a character by itself. And then uh, so we see Jason Ritter. He's the first park ranger and of course probably most people know they work together in Parenthood. There were all there were like a lot of connections to Parenthood and.
Speaker 5: It is I think we talked about it. Parenthood had just ended because we had May Whitman. Then you have Peter Krause in this episode as well, and then.
Speaker 1: She's right, you also had Lauren's assistant. Yes, who was who was the whale? Uh in the Whale Museum? Right.
Speaker 3: I recommended the voice immediately because he was in that other episode. He was the one that wanted the steel cut oats. She's six sometime. Yeah, so lot lots of callbacks. So okay, Booker movie, she doesn't have her permit. Oh that's right. They were all going to start again the next day because the conditions were bad for boot throwing, So they all go back to their motel and then this is the part that you were talking about, Scott, where they're back at the Gazette and first Rory gets that message on her computer like this is like pre I am I guess she's she's got like the message on her computer. Ready says ready, and then the pedal the pig runs by, So you already know like, okay, something, this is going to be like super literal. There's gonna be some sort of fantasy elements here. And then we go to the diner scene. I loved the diner scene with Jess and Luke and everybody's on their laptops.
Speaker 4: And I said this after the last episode, where is Jess and Luke that was missing and I'm finally.
Speaker 3: I told you to stay tuned, Remember.
Speaker 4: You did, and it was a great payoff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. I love that scene. And you know, Luke is all confused and off balance and funny little thing about how the vegetable cult kicked out TJ because they were two heard and then they have they have that nice conversation about Lorelei, you know, what is her ultimate intent with you know, leaving town and going out on this hike, and so that was that was just a great, a great moment between them, and so we seen it.
Speaker 4: There was a lot that was in that scene though. You you saw that Luke was come to terms that with the fact that Laurla may leave him right because you know, there was rockiness there and Jess can sniff that out like a mile away that something was going on with Luke, and Luke just revealed, you know, he revealed his biggest fear, that Laura I was going to leave him. I thought that was super powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it was such a role reversal too, because in the original series, it was always Luke trying to help Jess, and now it's completely the opposite, Like Jess is the adult and he's trying to help Luke through think through this situation. I really love Jess in that scene.
Speaker 4: And then he like the Internet.
Speaker 1: That was so funny.
Speaker 5: I'll also laugh about bagels split four ways.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, just a great scene all around. And then we go back to the motel where laurel I is with the other hikers and they're sitting around the fire pit talking about their stories. I really liked Lorelei's line when they asked her what her story was and she says, oh, there's no story, just a punchline like that kind of sums up her story, like it how she kind of uses humor to push other things away and to put up that wall around herself, and it really just in her mind, everything just boils down to a punchline. I thought that was powerful.
Speaker 4: I didn't even pick that up, but you're right, you're very right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And let's see. So they all are talking about, you know, they all want to get some insight from this, which I think that's just the theme of Wild is, you know, everybody wants to get some insight from that height, whether it's you know, theoretical or physical. And just like we saw in the last scene with Luke talking about his fears, now we're seeing Laurel I talking about her fears. You know, she thought she had everything figured out and now she's not so sure anymore.
Speaker 1: You know, before we got your father's a little behind the scenes stuff that I should have shared. While we're talking about the Luke and Jess scene. How did how did they get the flower on me? Oh? Yeah, there was somebody back there. I forget who it was. It might have been Robert Lee. Somebody was back there, and they poured it on me every take. Gosh, I had to try to close my eyes and then they dumped it on you, and then I dacked forrassled walkout and.
Speaker 2: Did you have to change your clothes. Hi, everybody, Sorry I was late. Hi, I missed you all. Did you have to change your clothes and restart the front part? They got the flower off of you.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I emerge with the flower on, so I always have it on.
Speaker 2: Go back there, okay, because we just hear you okay.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. I don't think we had to do it. I only think we had to do it the one time, maybe one or two times. It wasn't knocked right. I mean it's like with the with the push in the in the water, it's one take. With this was one take. You know, it's all easy. It's all easy.
Speaker 2: Ry sort of dryness. I don't know what the like right where it is the dry sarcasm of the scenes with you and Mila. They always have that sort of like there's a sarcasm, there's sort of a it's very understated, it's never overacted. And both of you play. I literally remember when I was watching Fall, thinking these two are buds, right, like you see it in the episode like and I want to talk all about Milo in this episode. I love Fall, It's my favorite one of all the movies. But I because it made me think about the podcast episode where we had Milo on the friendship and the sort of like bromance between the two of you is so obvious. It's obvious in this episode, and it's obvious when we had him on just the love that you guys have for each other.
Speaker 4: So jealous, I want a bromance with Milo.
Speaker 1: He also looked extra for Buff this episode. He was jazzed, I.
Speaker 5: Think in the in this in the scene in the house, I was like, man, he's.
Speaker 2: A real highlight to this episode, and I know, well, I don't know what I missed. The scene at his sort of final moment looking in on Rory.
Speaker 4: At it, real emotional.
Speaker 1: The whole episode was like that cried multiple times.
Speaker 2: Really was better this time, Susanne, you were so right watching it multiple times because for me when I whatever, I don't know, I don't want to give the end, but like I have a total different take on the end now than I did eight years ago.
Speaker 1: M hm. And the.
Speaker 2: Writing of the new series in my head where the baby is Logan's but Milo is the is the boyfriend is just everywhere.
Speaker 4: For me right now, like we have to we have to talk about it. I completely disagree. Oh, I feel like that was that an actual spin off, Like, no, I'm making it up to me.
Speaker 2: To me, the Logan is the baby daddy, but she's reconcile with Jess and that is a series. I'm like, I am, why do you hate that?
Speaker 4: No, I just I don't think. I think this is going to say really weird, but I think Jess is too good for Rorri. Now. I don't think he's going back. I think he's moved on. I think he's on his path. And say that except for the way he looks, I know, but it's it's that look that he gave is. I will always love her, but we're not meant to be.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I will always love her.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: That. I don't know if I got the it's not meant to be part.
Speaker 2: See, I agree with you, Scott, I got Yeah, I love her and this is fun to speculate.
Speaker 4: I did want to do that on this episode. I wanted to speculate on what's next, Like what if if there was one more uh year in the life, what that would look like?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean with a with a Logan baby and being together with Jess. That's history repeating itself, right, That's that's Christopher. And then Luke, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's Dean and Jess mirrors it's also Dean and Jess. It's like, look, this show doesn't doesn't shy away from trying right. It loves a triangle everything in the show, which is like a whole psychology of this show. But the triangle of Grandma, mother daughter, the triangle of Christopher, Lorli, Luke, Dean, Jesse, Rory. Like we had triangles throughout this series, and fans like triangles. Yeah, yeah, the tale is oldest time. Guys. Wait what did I miss? By the way, how far did we get?
Speaker 4: Not that far?
Speaker 1: Not that far.
Speaker 3: We're just coming up to the scene where they were the Life and Death Brigade.
Speaker 1: And we were lavishing Fall with excessive praise to the point where it all made us sick.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a significant amount of life.
Speaker 2: If you will indulge me, If you will indulge me, I agree. Fall is great.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Fall is great from start to finish. The hair has totally improved.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, except from my hair piece. I'm sorry that it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 2: It's not great.
Speaker 1: The camera move around at the gazebo and the wedding, and that looked like it fell from about ten thousand feet and splatted on top of my head. I'm sorry, not terrible.
Speaker 2: It's not terrible that here.
Speaker 1: I really noticed it though the other scene, right it looked okay, but.
Speaker 2: That Lauren Lorelei's hair is totally improved back to normal.
Speaker 1: I looked like Earl Shibe, you know, selling paint. It was it was. It was bad. Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 2: Zan was.
Speaker 1: Was leading the charge here.
Speaker 3: Great, I was trying to We keep getting distracted though, because we keep going off. I mean, that's just what we do.
Speaker 1: We got It's what we do. It's Tangent City. Our love for Fall makes us visit Tangent City so often now so we have.
Speaker 3: We were talking about how there's so many throwbacks in this episode to the original show, and I I realized we already missed one of them. And that was at the very opening scene where she's got the backpackage. She's on the phone leaving a message for Luke and she makes a comment about how all parts of the tree are edible, and that was from she had a conversation with Jess about that when he was cleaning out the gutters. And I know that's a pop culture reference. It's from her book. I don't we maybe.
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: So in this scene we have the gorilla masks are back. Remember R's in missile encounter with the Life and Death Brigade was the girl and the gorilla mask in the bathroom.
Speaker 4: I will say, like with the computer and the pig and like all that, I didn't piece it together that they were coming back. But then when I saw them, I was like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yes, yes, yes, I need another Life and Death Brigade like throw I needed that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that some people don't love it, which I think is look because I saw in the comments when we were all talking about the musical that people were like, I know, Amy's gonna love this part and it's so cringey.
Speaker 4: Whatever, I don't like this.
Speaker 2: Some people don't. I mean that was my inference, if that's a word inference, inference inference from their comments, because they didn't come out and say it. They said, oh, they're gonna like this or they're not gonna like this whatever. I love it so much that I YouTube just this scene all the time. I love the music, I love the dancing, I love the mist, I love.
Speaker 3: The dark miss.
Speaker 2: The way they yeah, the way they're revealed.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 2: I love that blue coat. I literally have been scouring the internet for that blue.
Speaker 1: Right. And it's stuff, it's film, it's cinema, it's actual high level cinema or homage to high level cinema.
Speaker 2: Right, fol Dancing with the Stars number.
Speaker 4: We were at the Tata Club a little too long. It could have been a little I did. I did love it.
Speaker 2: I wanted Matt Zuger and Alexis to learn a full dance. I could have stayed longer, Thank you, Scott.
Speaker 4: I just thought I thought dance was so bad.
Speaker 3: They both looked awkward to me, like.
Speaker 1: World class dancers that were hired. How are they going to shine? You know?
Speaker 3: I love those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the jokes of their just like astonishing privilege, right, just buying this and buying that, and then it ends.
Speaker 3: With my heartbreaking like.
Speaker 2: Rory, It's almost like it's just painful. And even though I'm like, yes, and even though he's such a cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater, I'm so like forgiving of it. And she's like they're both wrong, but like it's.
Speaker 1: So right, and you just it takes on, you know a lot of what Rory was doing what was going on in this is it was taking on tragic proportions and it's.
Speaker 4: So well done, so you just want one of them so badly to be like can we be together? And I feel like Rory gave that her shot by saying, are you really going to.
Speaker 6: Marry your debt?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, she tried to go there. She gave it the shot that it needed. And I think that's why she's so easily able to move on because she gave it the shot and realized that it's not happening, that that's that that's not happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to spend a second on that because I always see on comments on social media people say things like, oh, you know, Logan would have been Logan would have left Odette if Rory had asked him to.
Speaker 4: She did then shed, and that to me, that was her.
Speaker 3: Giving him an opening and she said are you really going to marry her? That would have been the perfect time for him to say something flip like, well, make me a better offer or something like that, and he doesn't. He says that's the dynastic plan. He to me, that's totally a cop out, and you know he's in his mid thirties. Now he doesn't have to marry who Mommy and Daddy tell him to marry. If he wants to be with Rory, he can leave Odette without her telling him to, like, he can make that choice, and he doesn't.
Speaker 2: But here's why that doesn't happen. Sorry, I don't want to interrupt you.
Speaker 1: Right to withdraw his stock options.
Speaker 3: Well, no, God, he's got the best of both worlds right now. He's got his cake and he's eating it.
Speaker 2: So storytelling wise, here's why I think that doesn't happen because if he says to her, then I want to be with you, we don't have our end of mom I'm pregnant. It would be like I'm marrying Logan and I'm pregnant. It's just a totally different mic drop. So for me, it's all part of this story, right, and we're left with a huge cliffhanger essentially. So I think the storytelling is because he doesn't say like no, never, It's like he sort of gives that answer Susanne. I think you said it like that's the plan. That doesn't mean yes, he said that's the plan.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't mean no on Logan's part either. There's still storytelling to be had there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, you're right, You're right, And then we get to this end because the end, everything is leading to the end, right, we're heartbroken for her. Oh gosh, I clearly he's the daddy, right, Like there's nothing It's never been more obvious to me than on this rewatch that he is the father. Yeah, but that's why we're left. That's why she's so brilliant Amy, because that's why we have that moment with Jess of him looking in the window and all of us going, oh my god, he because otherwise why would Luke say, is that is that over?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's over? And then he looks at her like, we'll get into it, and and I do. At the end of this, stew want to talk about what we all think is coming up, because I think the we'll talk about it. The scene with Christopher was very important too. There's a lot in there. There's a lot in there about Yeah, so we'll get.
Speaker 2: Into this scene scene and then I want to let you finish.
Speaker 4: What I love about about this part though, is I I actually as a fake, as a as a viewer who's been watching this in season one, I have never liked Rory. I will be the first person to say I have been saying that I loved her so much in this scene because she was like, you know what, I'm going to get my own car and I'm going to get the hell out of here and I'm going to start doing things for myself. And I feel like we finally saw the wheels start to turn in her brain and this, and I really really love that. I don't know, I just got to give like kudos to Rory here.
Speaker 6: I just do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And she didn't take the keys and she's the keys.
Speaker 4: And she fad and I love that she was like I know where I want to write this, and I'm like, where is she going to write this? And then we get the payoff, you know, like there's oh god, Amy is such a freaking genius. All this stuff is just.
Speaker 1: Shows real growth as a character and real maturity as as as a character. I mean, it's it's yeah, it's wonderful to watch.
Speaker 2: Think you also really feel like Amy Sherman Palladino loves these characters right, because she did right by them all pretty much, except for the one joke that I just was like, he doesn't think that's how surrogacy works. But whatever, we'll get to that. She really did not other than that one line, she really didn't write by all the characters, all of them, and I, frankly, we can argue this. I'm not mad about how they get married. I thought it was beautiful and I'm frank Yeah, so we'll get to that. But anyway, Susanne, I wanted to let you finish your thought.
Speaker 1: Still have a big wedding.
Speaker 2: They're having a party, the party is not canceled.
Speaker 1: There's more story to be told her. I I completely agree.
Speaker 2: They just needed that they ceremony to be so intimate and just when you're and you're like, oh, Michelle's there and Lane's there, this is It gives me chills. I was so pleased. I was just like, this is and that and she's walking through and then to not end on that scene that you end on the morning after before the big celebration with this bomb drop. But anyway, Susanne, keep talking about because I don't want to not acknowledge your frustration with logan, even though I saw great meaning in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I made my point. I just was saying that, you know, a lot of people think that Rory needs to tell Logan to leave Odette and then he will be with her. But my point was really that he is making a choice to be with Odette and not Rory because.
Speaker 4: Of the ball here he got. She was leading him to water and he didn't take like she she was doing it. I did want to say in this scene. It was a callback that I wanted to bring up. When she was saying bye to the three was Wizard of Oz? Did anybody?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I was literally I was like, this is she was saying by the tin man and the lie exactly? It was exactly it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's dumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, I did not get that.
Speaker 4: Okay, really maybe watch it, watch it back Amy.
Speaker 2: Just now maybe Susanne, I don't know if you have the what she says, but natural when she's saying her yeah, I know right where it is now and I'm now getting it and the whole you know, I felt, you can alsoy one thing really fast and then I'll shut the hell up. This scene. I don't know if I love it so much because it resonates so much with me. Have you ever had that night, that that night with the person you love and you're surrounded by these like the cool kids, and the whole thing's just firing on all cylinders and you love this night, and yet you keep looking at your watch because you're like, oh god, we only have seven more hours. Oh god, we only have six more hours. And I just felt that and it's like, oh gosh, that was three nights.
Speaker 1: A week when I lived in New York City. I mean that was like.
Speaker 4: I just kind of blew my mind a little bit. Sorry, But back to the whole Wizard of Oz thing. If you think about uh, Wizard of Oz and Rory and this is Dorothy, she's saying goodbye to these you know, the line and the tin Man and the Scarecrow, and she is going back home, right, So she's staying back, saying bye to this like beautiful land of Oz or whatever, and is going back home. I feel like that is literally what Rory's doing in the scene. She's saying goodbye to the Life and Death Brigade but going back home to write her book. Like there's a lot of something there I don't know.
Speaker 3: And the whole point and we're getting a little bit ahead because we're actually not at that scene yet, but the whole point in the Wizard of Oz was that Dorothy had the power the whole time. She didn't need the Wizard, she didn't need to go on this whole physical journey. She had the power the whole time. It's kind of the same thing with Rory, like she's always had that internal power and now she's going to exercise.
Speaker 4: It and go, you know, you, guys, this is so good. I can't even handle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good, so much.
Speaker 3: Before we leave the tango club or the Yeah, the tango club, I just wanted to club. So the cigarette girl was Amy shrim Palladino's mom. I don't know if that or not really, Yeah, And then the other thing. I realized this last night for the first time. The room, like the physical room at the studio where they shot that scene, I realized last night is the same room, a different end of it where Luke and LORLEI had the I am all in conversation. One end of that room was the restaurant where they went on that date and said I am all in. And I figured it out because when we were on the lot for the coffee event back in January, we went in there and you were, Scott, you were talking about how yeah, this is where we filmed that scene. I took a picture, and when I was watching the episode last.
Speaker 2: Night, I'm like, wait a minute, did you go back the same stairs?
Speaker 3: And so I pulled up when Rory and Logan are standing there like on a balcony and the ceiling is really low and they're like leaning over the rail looking out at the dancers, and then they go down the stairs. I went back and looked at my picture. It's exactly the same staircase.
Speaker 1: Does that Did that room seem large enough to shoot all that tango club scene?
Speaker 3: Really, the dancing was from a different angle, so the dancing may have been in a different place, but when when they're coming down those steps, that was in that same room as the restaurant.
Speaker 1: By the way, speaking of coffee events at Warner Brothers, we just had another one to launch the Fall Blend and it was eruptive. It was fantastic. I got the surprise fifty fans from the tour. It was really great, serve them all coffee.
Speaker 2: You can see the videos are so great.
Speaker 1: We had such a good time. Anyway back anyway, so I just wanted to.
Speaker 3: Say those two things about the Tango Club so then they go to the inn, which, if you look closely, that was the Dragonfly. They just repainted it and put some furniture in some different places, but the inn in New Hampshire that they all go to was the Dragon dragon Fly.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then so then there was after that. They get to the inn and they go up to Logan's room. Then there was a short quick scene back at the motel with Lorelei and her new friends that was just kind of filler. They're all coming back out for the next round.
Speaker 2: You guys might have already said this, but I was happily surprised because in my memory Wild took way too long, but it actually doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: In my memory, I was like, oh, Wild, And now I'm like, actually, Wild was fine. It was totally appropriately long.
Speaker 1: And i'll tell you appropriately short. That phone call to Emily, Wow, I know, wow, what a performance I know. I mean, Gez Chock put that in the top five of of Lauren Graham scenes. I mean, that was something that was some display of good.
Speaker 3: It was really amazing, and it was it was so real, like you could tell the emotion was real.
Speaker 5: I also think Amy and Dan wrote that or Amy wrote it so well because you could picture it like every like every word she said in that monologue, I could like picture Richard and her as a little girl and them at the mall and the pretzels, like it was just so perfectly explained and it was a beautiful story told.
Speaker 4: I literally had chills talking about it. Again.
Speaker 1: That's so great that that Emily has. She just listens. Yeah, that's how powerful it was.
Speaker 4: And they just hung up at the end, like there there didn't she just knew.
Speaker 2: She just thank you, right, she just thank you for telling me.
Speaker 4: And I do love that because I think Emily needed that from Lauralai so bad.
Speaker 1: You know, they needed to another major on from that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was it was like what she needed back at the funeral, that she that's what that's the story she wanted at the funeral.
Speaker 4: But she accepted it this time, which I feel like in normal Emily what you know, uh, in her normal behavior, she would have been like, Okay, Laura, I well you know.
Speaker 2: What, you should have told me this then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, how nice of you to bring this up now, you know, like I some kind of backhanded remark. And I feel like the fact that she accepted it was so beautiful. There was just something really sweet to that moment.
Speaker 1: You know what was beautiful about this entire episode? It was completely lacking and correct me if I'm wrong. It was completely lacking in what we grew grew very used to, which was all of this conflict. It was just it was an entire hour and forty minutes of resolution and coming to terms and accepting reality and letting things go and opening your heart and new horizons opening up and getting married, and it was just all a celebration. Uh, wonderful style, just wonderful, shockingly great episode, shocking, shockingly great film.
Speaker 2: I agree, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: So then we go back to the scene at the end and this is this is where Rory and Logan are in bed and she he gives, she gives.
Speaker 2: Unsee that it's a dragon fly. Now I'm sorry, I can I literally cannot keep going.
Speaker 3: Had this is where the Wizard of Oz moment was. Was when they're getting ready to leave the end and they have their nice little moment. He puts the hat on her, they kiss. Yeah, that was And I'm not even a team Logan person, it was.
Speaker 1: I was choked. But I mean, for those four three guys, Finn and I'm sorry, the Dames, Sister and Robert, Robert, Colin Finn just impeccable work. I mean, it was just perfect that the blocking, the timing, the delivery of all the lines. It was just the.
Speaker 2: Way that they move is so good but smooth, like yeah, they were.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like a brilliantly rehearsed Broadway play.
Speaker 2: I totally the five, all five of them, Matt, Alexis and then the three guys. They really nail every moment. And in my mind, I know it's not like that's this, but in my mind it's one long, ongoing shot that just never stops that it's just like here they come in the mass and out she goes and oh my gosh, and into the car and the back of that rumble seat and boom, boom boom, and we're in the club and it's a damn And to me, it just was like the whole thing flowed, like, oh, I just I love that scene. I know people there's not but.
Speaker 4: I love magical about the Life and Death Brigade. There's just some magic that it just brings to this show. Even back in the original series, especially during this this episode.
Speaker 3: It's Yeah, I didn't really care for them in the original series because they just to me, they just came off like spoiled brats. But in this I loved them, Like I totally love the scenes with them.
Speaker 2: I loved them from the start, but I love them in this And I love how they dragged in the lady from the paper. Yeah they got her all flash light. Now, Jackie's saying the scene took a few months to shoot, But I don't see how that's possible since the whole he guys only shot the whole series for a few months, she says, because of schedule.
Speaker 1: I mean they did it intermittently.
Speaker 2: They know, they did it over throughout. They didn't shoot it all like shoot a.
Speaker 1: Piece here and a piece there and a piece there. Yeah, it was a three and a half month shoot. By the way, for all well, Matt.
Speaker 2: Was really a part of this entire four movies, you know, Like it wasn't like Matt was like Milo, right, It's like Matt is really integrated into this whole thing, Like I know how at the very end, it's like Lauren Graham, Alexis Bludell, Scott Patterson, and Emily Bishop it's like Matt really deserved to be right after that, and I know you couldn't put him in there, but like he's very major in these movies. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then after that, then it cuts back to this, the the second attempt to hike the trail, and now we see this Peter Krause. Yeah, yeah, as the park ranger irritated me a lot.
Speaker 2: Less this time. The first time I was so irritated by this scene.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, she forgot her registration or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just like it just goes on and on. But this time I was like, that's kind of fine, and I love Peter Krause.
Speaker 1: Was cute.
Speaker 3: Another another Parenthood reference. I always this scene always makes me laugh because, like personal story here, my husband is a scout master for our Boy Scout Troop. My oldest is about to get his Eagle Scout and he goes to the meetings. He puts on the boy Scout uniform. I tell him he looks like a park ranger.
Speaker 2: And so every time is he's you.
Speaker 3: Know, leaving the to go to the meetings and he's like, you know, i'll be back in an hour. I'm like, all right, park, and oh, it's just kind of that's funny in our house. With both of the ranger scenes, the physical comedy from Lauren, I thought was hilarious, Like she's trying to wrangle this giant backpack and she bends over and the whole thing falls over her head. I thought those scenes were funny.
Speaker 1: I thought there was a lot of comedic value there, a lot of comedic stuff on her own, just with a backpack, right exactly, Yeah, yeah, she really pulled it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then uh so then she we.
Speaker 3: See the Halfway House cafe, which is another thing that was from Parenthood. Actually when oh really yeah, when I can't remember the daughter's name, May Whitman's character when she ran away, that was where they found her.
Speaker 2: Par It's a great show, by the way, I don't know if aout that. I loved it so good, you'll cry like a baby. It's kind of this is Us before this is Us. Yeah, watched it could could fly because Parenthood locked or whatever. The saying is like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And so this is where where we have the scene with the monologue about Lorelai and Richard the mall great moment. We just talked about that. Oh, and she talked about the one of the movies they watched was An Unmarriaged Woman, which was a Kelly Bishop movie, so it was kind of.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Jill Clayburg.
Speaker 3: Jill Clayburg, Wow, I didn't see it. Maybe it's from that era. I laughed. When she goes up to the cafe and she tries the door knob and it's locked, and then she's like, I hate nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's doing wild.
Speaker 2: These scenes played much better this round than they did for me when I watched it eight years ago. It's like, all just better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the first time you watch it, you're just so thrown off by how different it is, and then the second time you're kind of like over that.
Speaker 2: And yes, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Said, that's the first time I've seen it. I wasn't thrown at all. I was. I was delighted by it. I'm so happy for I was so happy for it, you know.
Speaker 3: And I love this scene like that whole, the whole. Lauren was great in this scene. And then the one thing, and I don't know that this scene would have been the place to put it in, could have gone somewhere else. The one resolution I feel like we didn't get was any kind of acknowledgment from Emily of her role in any of the problems with Laura.
Speaker 1: I oh, I think that's I think that's just at this point, that would be cruel.
Speaker 2: I think we're just the I think that's asking to be And that's what I said.
Speaker 3: I don't think this scene was the place for that. But nowhere in the revival. I just mean, for me, that's an unresolved.
Speaker 2: Thing, correct, because she's not going to be different, Like it's not like when we see these people again. It's not like Emily is just suddenly going to be the perfect mother to me. If there was some sort of acknowledgment of it, it would just come across trite. The most we got was in the we get a little we get little glimpses of that, and then I think we get a little glimpse of that when she wants the money to expand the in But Emily's not going to become a different person.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That's not what I'm asking for. I don't want Emily to become a different person. I just would have liked for her to acknowledge that maybe she made lorealized life difficult once in a while.
Speaker 4: I just don't think she would be the person to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like she's not the person to she'd throw it under the rug. But I don't think she'd ever come and be like it was my fault. I just don't think.
Speaker 3: Again, Okay, I.
Speaker 4: Understand what you actually do. Understand what you're saying. I think the moment with the phone call did that for me. I think it kind of like made them at peace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she says thank you, right, well, she I mean she got an apology from Laura I, which is basically what that whole call was was, you know, in a kind of an apology from Laura I. Well, Carline put all that out there, and then Emily said thank you, which I guess is all we can expect from her. But I didn't feel like she gave anything back to Laura I.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying. I think the most we could expect, I think it would even almost be too much, is if we knew as an audience that she was beginning to start that conversation or she was starting to open up a little bit before she even said anything, and then stopped herself. Right. I think that's I think that stays true to her character. I do. I do agree with you though, that it could have been a very powerful moment had she done it. But it's like, where is she going to do it? When is she going to do it, because I think after she loses Richard, you know, it's hard to you know, call her onto the carpet and say, apologize for what you've been.
Speaker 2: We got what we could get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, obviously I'm not the writer, so I don't know where I would have put it, But it just would have been nice to, you know, talking about how this whole episode is about resolutions and closing the loop.
Speaker 2: And I just would have liked to have just like throw me a bone on that, like, just you know a lot, I think.
Speaker 1: But I think that's what Laurel. I did it.
Speaker 4: It it.
Speaker 1: Released. She was releasing Emily from any obligation to do that in the future because of the intimate nature of the and the length of that story and the emotion attached to it. And I think that's the reaction gave was one of pure delight and relief, and she was completely moved and it was all sins are forgiven. That that speech was all sins are forgiven on both sides and now we can start anew You know, it's like maybe the first moment I've ever seen those two, maybe before the bad stuff happened when she was fifteen or sixteen, where there it was a moment of just utter motherly love and open heartedness toward her daughter. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess I just have it different.
Speaker 1: Incredibly and incredibly powerful moment, incredibly and great acting from from Kelly. The nonverbal stuff is just the hardest, so great. Yeah. Wow, all right.
Speaker 3: So then we go back to Luke and Laurelai's kitchen and the scene where Luke is cooking the steak for this.
Speaker 2: Is such an amazing scene. Scott, you are no good in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I Scott. I'll let you talk about the scene because this was probably some of the most powerful Luke material in the entire series.
Speaker 1: I think the hard the hard part was on Lauren. You know, the difficult part about like when Lauren would deliver a speech to me, right, the many long speeches she would she would deliver to me, What you don't want to do as a scene partner is screw her up, right, because you have a little word here and there that can often She had.
Speaker 2: Those sort of funny comedy relief moments, right, and and she.
Speaker 1: The balance of it and the timing of it is all so crucial so as not to step on what I'm saying and keep the momentum going, but also get in you know, her intention, which is equally as important as the you know, the chunks of dialogue that I am saying. And she did it beautifully and it really made the scene fly. So it's thank you for the nice comments. It was a tough scene to do, you know, it's a very emotional thing, but it was easy. It was much easier because I knew I had a partner who could knows what the shot is that I'm making and hits the ball back where I can continue, We can continue to volley the ball back and forth. And that's what she's also so good at, which is why those scenes really pop. So I commend her for being so astute and so focused and so concentrated, because you really have to focus harder not to trip the other actor up when they have volumes of dialogue that they have to execute, you know it.
Speaker 2: And they have to be in a certain like mindset or place because it's so emotional and you feel like, I just thought that scene is so good, and I actually her little sort of like moments of it where she's kind of being a little bit funny and like it's just just so good.
Speaker 1: From thee From a technical point of view, what she had to deal with was not get distracted by what I was saying, but feel it because she has to feel it as the character, but not miss her cues because she had a bunch of cues in there where she had to throw in a line or a look or whatever. Right, And it's hard when somebody's you know, delivering with with real intensity something coming at you, it's easy to get caught up in that and get lost and oh shoot, I forgot my line, so sorry, well we'll have to do it again. You get that, So it's able to split focus within how you're focusing and and staying character, but while still being technical. It's it's it's incredibly difficult, and she just did such a great job, such a boat.
Speaker 5: How many times did you guys have to do that?
Speaker 1: Do you remember? It was a few, Yeah, it was a few. I remember being quite aust after that. But yeah, but you know Amy as a director, you know, you know she knows which moments are going to be really you know, the fireworks moments, and you really want to nail those. And I don't know that we did it. I think we did three or four takes, five takes maybe at the most, because it was going well. I remember it was going well right from the beginning. But there's always little adjustments and things like that, you know. Yeah, so there's some lighting things. There's always lighting issues and that's to be expected. But it went very very smoothly, very well that scene. Yeah, yeah, actually fun to do.
Speaker 2: And it's such a nice resolution in that scene, and I'm so glad, like that's not the end of the show, right, Like it's like it's so cool that you're like, oh, what a relief, and then we get to have some fun, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that was sort of how I know, because at first, like the first time you watch it, you don't know what she's gonna say.
Speaker 2: You don't know, like here we go again.
Speaker 3: See I'm out of here, like I'm leaving, Like you don't know what conclusion she has reached inside her head. And so then when she says I think we should get married, then you're like, yes, yeah, so yeah, that was that was a great scene. And then he's got he's still got the same engagement ring and he gives it back to her and I thought that was cute and he.
Speaker 4: Just had a handy yeah, right there waiting for that moment.
Speaker 1: All right, gang, we're loving Fall so much, we're gonna split it up into two because we can't stop gab it. So we're gonna we're gonna bring part one to an end and stay tuned for part two. Hey, everybody tell again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.