Speaker 1: Well, you're looking festive, is how I would like to start this entire thing. Once again, You've dressed for the occasion.
Speaker 2: This is one of the best things about Disney movies is there's always a great theme.
Speaker 3: You could always have a party that goes with these decons. It's true and today is my my nice Saint Patrick's Day. I'm like so close to making some corn beef and cabbage.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that leads me to a question which I'm not sure we've discussed yet on our journey to learn each other as people.
Speaker 4: Right, what's your favorite holiday? Have we talked about this?
Speaker 2: No, I know we have not.
Speaker 3: Saint Patti's is definitely a day that is celebrated in my house.
Speaker 4: I really okay, no.
Speaker 3: Irish background, but one of my best friends, her dad was very into Saint Patrick's Day. And I love to cook, and her mom taught me how to make corn beef and cabbage the correct way. I also make like frum scratch. I make soda bread, which is perfect with the dish. Shout out to val you know who you are. Madre and she La hooked me up at a young age and I make it every year.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, Well, I'm gonna have to invite myself over at some point.
Speaker 4: To have that. I make a ton of it because I am Irish.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh gosh, maybe not.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I just I've got a good amount of Irish in me. My mom including maiden name is Patricia Leary. They dropped the over Ellis Island, so they were the O'Leary clans.
Speaker 4: So we've got some Irish in us. Seriously, so nice.
Speaker 1: The corn, beef and cabbage is amazing, But soda bread is the dense yet light and sketch.
Speaker 4: It's sweet. Oh it's okay, I.
Speaker 3: Will I have gotten rave reviews, so I'm telling you I don't. I don't know personally because again it's not something I grew up with, but it's something I make now and I definitely get a lot of I have to make two, depending if there's how many people are coming over, at least two, sometimes three. I'll make it the day before it sits, it simmers, it gets all the goodness.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: We'll add two people because I'm inviting myself and my wife. Oh oh yeah for cornbif and cabbage.
Speaker 2: Absolutely what.
Speaker 4: I'm a Thanksgiving guy. I love Thanksgiving Oh.
Speaker 1: I love the whole prepping, all the food and everything, to the point where this year, for the first time ever, I finally talked my wife into second Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: What is set is that Friday.
Speaker 1: No second Thanksgiving is going to be in May. So every six months you do with Thanksgiving, so you.
Speaker 4: Get friends and family together, you make the same meal, you talk about what you're thankful for, but you don't have to wait till November.
Speaker 3: Yes see, it's about the food for me. Honestly, I love Easter. I love now that I have Monroe her doing the eggs and all of that.
Speaker 2: She's super excited. The Easter Bunny clicks with her. I love it. But the food's kind of like.
Speaker 4: Matt like, yeah, yeah, there's not no real Easter.
Speaker 3: Food, you know. We started going out to brunch more so than having I don't feel like there's much of traditional Easter food anymore.
Speaker 2: So sure, it's kind of a lot about the food in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Well that's true. Well that kind of brings us, strangely enough, just holiday wise, brings us around to what we're gonna be watching today. But first, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn, and take it back to a time when all the houses were smart, the Waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilfordell and I'm Sabrina Brian and oh.
Speaker 1: Oh, top of the morning, Tia, because this week we lad are in for a wild ride with the dcom sports fantasy comedy The Look of the Irish, just in time for Saint Patti's Day.
Speaker 4: We're gonna break this one down as much as we can, because wow, there is a lot to unpack.
Speaker 1: And if you thought that accent was bad, yikes, because ooh okay. So anyway, this movie is on Disney Plus, so feel free to go and pause this podcast. You can go watch it now, or you can just sit back, relax and kiss the Blarney stone with us. It debuted on March ninth, two thousand and one, just a week before Saint Patti's Day, and it became a tradition every year for the Disney Channel to air it on the holiday for a very long time. So we're just adding to the tradition here on Magical Rewind.
Speaker 4: And this is always amazing the stuff to me at the time of its premiere, it become the most watched d coom ever, which we are starting to learn a bit is just a trend for the premieres.
Speaker 1: They seem to just one out does the next, and out does the next. And it shows not only that sometimes the movies are getting better, sometimes they're not, but the popularity of the d coom by two thousand and one is growing so much that they.
Speaker 3: Are you are excited to see what dcom is coming next, Absolutely exactly.
Speaker 2: I know. I was one of those kids.
Speaker 3: I was waiting for the premieres of the new dcom that's coming out.
Speaker 4: So I love that.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: The website Collider actually has deemed this one the quote unquote strangest Disney Channel original movie ever. MTV ranked it at number thirteen, and there are dozens of blogs and all this stuff online asking if this is highly offensive to Irish people. And I think the consensus for a movie with the tagline kid today Leprechawn tomorrow is yeah, it's pretty it's pretty offensive. It's it's a funny ef I don't will get well, we'll get into all that, Sabrina.
Speaker 4: I have just a very honest question for you. At any point while rewatching this movie, did you stop and say, oh my god, I'm on acid. I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Uh, you know, there was just a lot of extremes. I feel that this movie for us, and this is coming from a cheetah girl who you know, dove into the cheetah love.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, this was the most like animated.
Speaker 3: Vibe, character driven that's like on a on a a cartoon level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's safe to say. It's very cartoony.
Speaker 3: It is to the point where, you know, we are definitely gonna talk about the scene I'm sure, but I've got Pinocchio vibes with the guy looking like he was gonna get some of the kids and take him and turn them into talkies.
Speaker 2: Like there was that that evil of goy. You know.
Speaker 3: It just was a very extreme, not as much of a realistic movie. Absolutely so. Yeah, it was a lot more than what we've seen so far.
Speaker 4: That's saying something, Yes, that's saying something. But I did I felt like I Mal had slipped me some chocolates, yeah, kind of falling in love with her. I tripped and watched The Luck of the Irish, right has it now? I was trying to remember this. Can you think of another Saint Patrick's Day movie?
Speaker 3: Uh, the scary one, the Leprechaun, a Leprechaun?
Speaker 2: No, I mean, is it a thriller movie?
Speaker 4: Anything? You think about all the holiday movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not a lot of St.
Speaker 4: Patrick's Day doesn't get a whole lot of there.
Speaker 3: There is like a rom com that she goes to Ireland on a leapier, which is a leapier this year, And if you go something about getting engaged, I know there's one that's not necessarily it is involving Ireland. Maybe not, maybe I'm just I got a backpedal.
Speaker 2: It's called leapier.
Speaker 4: Okay, I go say, if you can stop being that specific.
Speaker 2: Because it's a holiday, I guess.
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, that counts. That count.
Speaker 2: Saint Patrick's Day is not usually there is a reference of it.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of drinking, and it's a different situation than what you'd see on Disney Channel, right it.
Speaker 4: Is, Yes, I agree, But Leapier that's a good one. All right. Well, before I become weirdly tiny and start playing the Irish flute, let's get into the synopsis a little bits here. So when Kyle loses his magical golden charm and perennial good luck. He discovers that he's actually part leprechaun. He must now find the thief who still necklace to save the future of leprechauns and also win his high school basketball game.
Speaker 1: Which, all right, so early thoughts were you able to hang with luck of the Irish?
Speaker 3: I was intrigued at first with obviously about the holiday, totally down for some leprechaun goodness, right, leprechaun magic. I started to the amount of and this is going to be a Sabrina Seas so sorry, but the amount of in and outs that we had of that, like intense, and the weird eyes his parents kept giving him when he was asking questions really started to creep me out.
Speaker 4: You mean, normal questions like hey, where are you from?
Speaker 3: It was starting to get a little bit the a little too kind of creepy. And then when she became his mom became a leprechaun and got tiny I actually appreciated it was it was it was finally you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna start moving into this actual.
Speaker 4: You know, more Disney World.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, It's finally going to jump in. That to me lasted a little too long. So at that point I'm going, Okay, I'm kind of over this now.
Speaker 2: So I did have that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I this was a weird one for me, and it didn't There wasn't one thing specifically I disliked about it.
Speaker 4: Just the whole thing was really weird. It was just weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're talking about we're coming from Dcom's where it's like The Descendants, so you're you're in.
Speaker 4: A magical realm. You're I'm down for all that stuff. I'm down with the I'm a fantasy nerd, so I'm obviously down with the what if. This was just really bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they made some interesting choices like that we'll talk about down the line, like the best friend who was so obsessed with finding out where this kid was from where she's stalking him randomly.
Speaker 2: Like where are you from? It's so rude.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it was weird.
Speaker 3: Yet again we have another female rude, just too pushy, calm down.
Speaker 2: She was just too much, very strange and too much.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the movie that we're talking about, of course, stars Ryan Merriman as Kyle Johnson, who is a high school student looking to learn more about his lineage. Also because everybody's telling him he has to find his lineage. It's kind of weird, only to find out that he's the most stereotypical Irish person of life that has ever lived. Yes, ever, but Ryan. Everybody knows Ryan of course, because he's a kind of decome a legend, as in Smart House, you know, which is one of the biggest de coms out there.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to watch Smart House.
Speaker 1: People are telling us smart House has to be added near the top of the list, so we're working on getting a smart House. And he's also known for Final Destination three, which is the roller coaster one where all the young kids have a great life and everything works out well, no way, everybody in the cast is killed.
Speaker 2: Horror spoiler alert spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: The Dabney Coleman casting position that is the wow, how did they get them for this movie?
Speaker 4: Casting position?
Speaker 1: We have Henry Gibson as Riley O'Reilly, which ran against is just legendary but also just they should have just called him Irish eoh, Irish guy. He's Ryan's grandfather and owner of a potato chip company. He's also a lepre con and hiding but not only is the potato chip company hugely popular and important, but also has the largest private potato chip security force so history.
Speaker 3: There people must be breaking into that place on a Monday, a Wednesday, and a Thursday.
Speaker 4: There was like forty security guards.
Speaker 2: It's insane for.
Speaker 4: This potato chip factory. Another spoiler alert.
Speaker 1: His grandfather, of course, turns out, of course, to be a leprechaun and hiding. Henry Gibson, the actor, was in the classic film Nashville, which he found himself nominated for a Golden Globe.
Speaker 4: That was nineteen seventy six.
Speaker 1: He's also a regular on Rowan and Martin's Laugh in which any comedy person myself included, will tell you is one of the genesis of the greatest comedy ever on television.
Speaker 4: He was in The Blues Brothers. He played Doctor Klopak in the Burbs, and was a judge on Boston Legal right up until his death in two thousand and nine. He was great but strange character. I think I'm saying this right. Marie H.
Speaker 1: Garrity is Kyle's mom, Kate, and she's best known as Nancy in Groundhog's Day, but was also in Sleeping with the Enemy and had a very small but incredible part in the amazing film Broadcast News where she just stole the screen was amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: We had Timothy Omenson plays Seamus mc tiernan, who is the villain of the movie. He still works all the time. He recently popped up in Percy Jackson and the Olympians, also on Disney Plus.
Speaker 4: You should go watch it because it's good as well as This is Us.
Speaker 1: And he's been in basically everything, but he's probably best known as Caine on Supernatural. This movie runs a very hot eighty six minutes, probably about seventy five of them.
Speaker 4: You are gonna feel like you're on acid. But the eighty six minutes is four from the bulls I were looking for. It was filmed in farming to Utah, which is a hotbed of Scottish activity. It's not.
Speaker 1: It was written by Andrew Price, a former Jeopardy writer, and Mark Edwards Edens, who was a cartoon writer Yes with credits like Teenage Mutant, Ninja, Turtles and RoboCop Alpha Command. Love that cartoon writer's animation writers, I should say get their due because it's some of the greatest writing out there, so please go support them. It was also directed by a true dcom Hall of Famer and a dream guest that we've been trying to get for a while who uh sabring knows from the Cheetah Girls One World.
Speaker 4: Paul Howen, What Up? What up?
Speaker 2: He's so awesome? He is great.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we were trying.
Speaker 1: Well, another one who's on our dream guest list who we'd like to get. Yes, but he was behind the camera for Disney movies like True Confessions, Eddie's Million Dollar Cookoff, and Jump In. But way more importantly he's now the main directing guy, the main man wow, for all of the Zombies movies Yes, one, two, three, and later part four. We on Podmet's World, Danielle and Ryder have been fighting over who gets to come on our show to break down the zombies movies with us. So yeah, pretty great. So this movie kicks off as Kyle is having a nightmare about Heritage Day, which is they throw you right into this movie right away, right away.
Speaker 2: No leada, no bom.
Speaker 4: And have you ever heard of this? So Heritage Day is an assembly.
Speaker 1: At school that they're showing where everybody, apparently the students have to talk about their country of origin, do something that represents their country of origin in front of everybody, and so as they then pan across the audience, there's Swedish.
Speaker 4: Bar maids, Native American chiefs, hilgrooms. It was very, very, very strange.
Speaker 1: And then there's we hear this tiny little voice, and there's Kyle, who's very miniature right, screaming up trying to get people to see him because he doesn't yet know what his heritage is.
Speaker 3: But does because he's already tiny. That part is what just right from the start through me a little.
Speaker 1: So is he small because he's he knows that he's becoming the leprechaun? Or is he's small because I know it?
Speaker 3: But that's what it's insinuating, Okay, right as his mom, just as his mom was tiny and turned into it when she turned into a leprechaun. I felt it could have been a scene of where he's like, he's having a panic attack.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, you know, more so than turning.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: That was just weird to me all right from the beginning.
Speaker 4: So it could be you're saying it's his subconscious.
Speaker 1: His subconscious is already telling him that he's a part leprechaun, and so he has to go to heritage Day.
Speaker 4: Did your school have heritage Day?
Speaker 2: So we did.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it's a real assembly where people dressed up. But for I remember growing up in elementary school, it was a way to open the doors of how we are all different, come from different places. And at my school, you brought in a specific dish that would represent the heritage and everyone.
Speaker 2: That's what we had for lunch.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so me being Hispanic, I brought to molly Pie, which is Smally's.
Speaker 2: But it's like more of a cast role, more of a platter if you will.
Speaker 3: You know, people would bring different things, all from different places, which was really fun and I love them.
Speaker 1: I think that's better than having because like what if you do. I guess everybody would have a dance. I guess every culture would have their traditional dance.
Speaker 3: But I feel putting on a performance is a way too much. But I will say the food was bombs and really enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: I'd rather do the food.
Speaker 1: That's the issue, of course, is that he doesn't know where his family is from. They're just from Cleveland, which.
Speaker 4: Is what his parents, oh clevelandly keep telling him.
Speaker 2: It just comes up so much in this movie.
Speaker 4: But they're so sketchy where he's just like, where am I from? And they do this Disney thing where it's the music stops and they're staring at him, you're from Cleveland.
Speaker 2: It almost looks like the camera's shaking, You're having a seizure. It's so awkward.
Speaker 1: It's like they don't want they set it up to where his mom and dad as far as because you have to make up whatever, have killed sixty five people have been on the run, Yes, and don't want to tell this kid, Yes.
Speaker 3: That their backyard is filled with buried people. Yes, it's like, why can't you just say we're from Ireland?
Speaker 4: Where you're from? I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be a leprechaun if you're from Ireland.
Speaker 2: That's what's so.
Speaker 1: Why that's what we were I wanted to we We're going to touch on this later too. But what stops them from just saying we're Irish?
Speaker 2: We're Irish?
Speaker 4: W the end? W the end? You know where you're hiding the fact that you're a leprechaun. You're not hiding the fact that you're Irish. R right, Just just say Kyle, we're Irish. Okay, I know it makes for a much shorter film.
Speaker 2: A very short film.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's but but you know, it's it seemed that they made a big deal out of hiding the fact that he was Irish. And yeah, again, we're not trying to go back and change the movie. But now if I feel like maybe they could have said we're Irish and then he finds something that he thinks for something else, there's something magic involved because they made the idea of not It's like we can't even tell him we're Irish. So weird.
Speaker 3: I think this comes back to why people are a little offended as far as it it almost made.
Speaker 2: It seem as if being Irish was.
Speaker 4: Bad, you know, yes, it was like a dirty thing.
Speaker 3: Or it implicates that you are a leprechn if you're Irish. And I feel like a lot of Irish people, you know, especially people that had real deep roots in it, could be very annoyed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they do, I mean they do.
Speaker 1: They try to kind of bring it back because, as she says, eventually, she says, well, I didn't want you to feel like you were persecuted, because the Irish were persecuted when they came to this country, which they certainly were, but it was like one hundred and fifty years ago. But it never connects the way that it just doesn't make didn't make any sense to not say you're Irish, however.
Speaker 2: Was intended to be. Yeah, however it was.
Speaker 3: Intended, it didn't. I think we agree. It did not come across that way.
Speaker 4: No, it came off weird.
Speaker 2: Sure they weren't trying to be offensive, it's just no, but.
Speaker 4: It came off weird and bizarre. And again it's two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: The times were different, but it was I think even then, saying you're Irish was not a big deal.
Speaker 4: It was very real.
Speaker 1: But the only evidence Kyle has about his origin is a very old necklace that was given to him by his mom. And what he realizes is there's an Irish symbol on it, which he thought was Chinese. Uh and this does He's like, this is I thought it was China.
Speaker 2: Dang it. I thot that one slipped by you. That was one of my sna sees like, are you kidding? Are you kiddy? Kyle?
Speaker 4: I saw that one.
Speaker 2: Kyle, Kyle, you're a little bit of an idiot.
Speaker 4: It's like, not Chinese Kyle.
Speaker 1: Not Chinese, and all of this coincides with finding out that he's been super lucky his entire life. So, you know, it starts the basketball game and he somehow, while diving, slaps the ball from past the three point.
Speaker 3: Line, like it became a volleyball tournament where he just slaps.
Speaker 4: A basketball hard three point distance.
Speaker 3: Which hurts, by the way, that would hurt so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody could have done this. Steph Curry couldn't have done this shot. I mean it was it was and again, but they're trying to show that everything he touches turns to gold.
Speaker 4: For lack of a better word.
Speaker 3: I wonder how many kids tried that after scene, just trying to slap balls.
Speaker 4: And hurting their hands, falling on their shoulder, just trying to slap it. Not break fundament tells Kyle if I'm not great fundamentals. And then you know he's walking down the street.
Speaker 1: You know, he just finds ten dollars. His friend kind of says to him, hey, you're always finding money. So he keeps finding all this money, and then he takes a test and he's sitting in class and it's a great scene where the you know, the teachers like, you can't.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: Just At the end, he goes, I take points off for for wrong answers for a reason, so you can't just fill out the thing.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, you got every you got everyone right. So interesting montage to show that he's very like I.
Speaker 3: Asked several teachers that I know if this is in fact a way to promote studying, and they said, there is no way any district would allow you to take points off of guessing.
Speaker 2: So that would implicate.
Speaker 3: Just leave it or don't try. Don't try, don't if you're not sure, don't try. That is not something that can promote in school.
Speaker 1: Every good student, like myself knows that when in doubt, just bubble in sea and they're going to be right.
Speaker 4: Occasion is all.
Speaker 5: He's the answer when you don't know. Everyone knows that exactly. I got a four on my SATs perfect. And so then we end up at an Irish festival. Okay, that is happening in town. Let's talk talk Irish festival. Let's talk Irish festival.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, you start.
Speaker 3: Oh, first of all, him finding the exact necklace so quickly was just well, very lucky.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, whatever his.
Speaker 3: I was confused at first when his now we know after watching the movie Grandpa comes into it. Also very weird that he's never met him. But again, same thing. If he met him, I guess he'd clearly know he was a leprechaun.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also he doesn't like the inter I guess it would be an interspecies marriage because they're insinuating that a leprechan is essentially a completely different species than a human being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so okay, I got the like I was talking before, such creepy vibes from that first guy we meet at the festival.
Speaker 2: He icked me so gross, it was so icky.
Speaker 3: And so as they're going then we go into this commotion of some type of performance that's going on, and what would behold, Lord of the Dance comes out. It's just giving me everything I'm telling you. I know, I was not really expecting to love this festival.
Speaker 2: I fell in love with the festival. Lord of the Dance.
Speaker 4: All the tapping, I love with it.
Speaker 3: Oh good, he was clearly not tapping himself, no stunt tap. I didn't even care because it was very hard. That is a very hard style of dance to learn. Yeah, so I would never expect an actor to be able to just pick that up randomly, But oh my god, it was so I was laughing at myself how much I loved it. I rewound it and watched it three times.
Speaker 4: I watched it a bunch because I'm not sure if you noticed this or not. But it starts with the women dancing on the stage, okay, and then they peel off and it looks I couldn't tell if it was just a big drop down or she wipes, but it looks like a woman falls off the stage.
Speaker 2: You are stealing my job, are you?
Speaker 4: Did you see?
Speaker 2: I did not see that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I don't know if I kept rewinding it and she's on she's closest to us as you're watching it, and I couldn't tell if she had to duck down and then jump off or she falls.
Speaker 4: But I mean, there's like it looks like a white to me, this.
Speaker 3: Is one thing you will find out about me quickly. People eating it like it just fully. Falling is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I cannot believe I missed that. I am I as soon and as we are done doing this, I am going back and watching that.
Speaker 2: Go check.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong, even to the point where I brought my wife and again I was like.
Speaker 4: She falling. She said, I think she's just jumping down, but I can't. You can't tell. It looks like she's there, and then she's gone. You can't tell what's going on.
Speaker 2: And then she's whoa, whoa, whoa, she's gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's gone.
Speaker 1: Michael Flatley, Lord of the Dance comes out, but of course this is actually our main bad guy, Seamus mcteern. And the villain comes out and all of a sudden, Ryan can't keep his feet together.
Speaker 4: He starts dancing as well.
Speaker 2: Well, did you notice the other people doing that in the audience?
Speaker 4: Are they other leprechauns? Is that what that meant?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm guess seeing.
Speaker 3: And I wasn't sure what the festival was really supposed to, what its purpose.
Speaker 1: Was, right, Well, it's supposed to normalize the Irish, is what I think they're trying to do, because it's so dirty to be Irish.
Speaker 3: I've never been to somewhere where people are unless it's a concert of some sort and they're not actually doing the material. Well, I guess maybe I bet you go to a janet Jackson concert and like people are like control and maybe know the choreography.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that means control but that but.
Speaker 2: That I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just had to have been during river Dance time though, right when when everything was super popular.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that it was like flatly Lord of the Dance and river Dance Word.
Speaker 3: Of the Dance was just amazing that I tapped when I was growing up, So I thought it was so amazing and it was super hard to do their specific style.
Speaker 4: You also don't move your upper body.
Speaker 2: But people doing it randomly.
Speaker 4: It was weird.
Speaker 3: That's what that was A question I had in Sabrina seas Were they also leprechauns?
Speaker 2: Was that the purpose of.
Speaker 4: That or what? I don't know?
Speaker 2: Never explained.
Speaker 3: It just was a teeny part of the scene and then moved on quickly because he starts dancing, we don't know.
Speaker 4: If they're part of the leprechaun community or not.
Speaker 2: And this is when his necklace gets sols.
Speaker 1: Get yeah, so he's knocked down. His necklace is switcherood, though we don't ever see. I went back to check. You never actually see who switches.
Speaker 2: In no way you could ever see it.
Speaker 1: Nope, you don't see what happens, So it's probably some kind of magic and with you know, unbeknownst then to Ryan that was the secret of their family's look.
Speaker 4: It's like all their power.
Speaker 2: That's a fake one on and bye bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he wakes up the next morning, he's starting to get shorter, his hair is starting. I mean, it's like he's starting to turn into full Leprechaun. And then when he goes downstairs, his mom is is start. The first time he sees her, she's just on her hair differently, but she's got a full Irish accent that he doesn't ever mention.
Speaker 3: No one says anything about this, but it's not a hint of it. It's not a word or two.
Speaker 4: She's fully Irish all of a sudden, good morning, sudden. Yeah, I'll come to that. And you're like the maybe maybe, Hey mom, what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah Mom? Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Mom?
Speaker 4: But she's got the big current. Now I'm not just trying something more natural hair this morning, like why not play it up?
Speaker 3: Not anything, And the dad really doesn't mention anything to her either, which is weird because he.
Speaker 4: Knows they're from Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Right, he knows about what's going on.
Speaker 1: Still keeping the secret, he doesn't say anything no, but all of a sudden, Ryan is starting to say stuff too, like instead of dadd he's saying madah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's up? I mean dad?
Speaker 1: And it's so Apparently their good luck charm also takes away their Irish accent, even though Ryan was born and raised in the United States, never had one and by parents who did not have the Irish accent either. Apparently the only reason he did not have an accent is because of the coin, right, So it's it's luck.
Speaker 4: It helps with luck and linguistics, apparently exactly. So this is when they tell him, finally, you're Irish. It's about time they break him this whole horrible news. Yeah, that he is in fact Irish. Did you find anything strange with that?
Speaker 1: Where it was like it was he was finally his dad was going to tell him something, and then his mom knows. His mom's not gonn tell me he's a lepericon And when she says you're Irish, the dad was like, oh, thank god, you just told him he was Irish, so then why not tell him he was?
Speaker 2: But from the beginning it could have been that Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Again, I had already gotten over it at this point.
Speaker 4: River dance just washed all the all the problems away in your head. People tapped all the problems right out of your head.
Speaker 3: The river dancing brought me back into the magic of Okay, we're just gonna go with it.
Speaker 2: I guess, you know, again, not being Irish, I wasn't offended.
Speaker 1: I'm Irish and I wasn't offended. It was more just weird than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was strange. It was very strange.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine with any other cultural background, no being okay to just yeah.
Speaker 4: Not at all, so weird, really not at all.
Speaker 1: But they also tell him that not only is he Irish, but he's half Leprechaun, which again seems like two completely different things. It's like, oh, you're Irish and magic.
Speaker 3: But it's sort of I mean, that's been done in other movies where there and TV shows where you're that. I guess what you're saying too, is it's half human half leprecaun.
Speaker 1: Which, again I think had he known he was Irish the whole time, like you know you're Irish, We're happy if we're proud of our Irish heritage.
Speaker 4: That's what it is. Then you find out, oh, by the way, you're part leprechaun. Right, it makes more sense than the you know what I mean. Yeah, you're kind of burying the lead there. You know, it's like, just start with you're Irish. Oh, get super simple. But then he loses his.
Speaker 1: Coin again, not rewriting the movie, but that's that part I think needed to because you can see how some people, like on the blogs and all that stuff, got got a little miffed with this and again totally I'm part Irish, but I'm not.
Speaker 4: You know, I was not.
Speaker 1: But at the same time you could see how they're like, oh, it's they're just equating being Irish with being a leprechaun. If you're Irish, you're a leprechan that's what that means, as opposed to having him proud of his Irish heritage and then finding out, oh, by the way, you're a part leprechaun.
Speaker 2: You're not fully human you right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a great Yeah, you're not fully human, you're part fairy, you're park dwarf, you're part They've done this with all, you know, that's total fantasy trope.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So anyway, without the necklace. Hee and his family turned into very cartoonish versions of Irish people cooking food over giant leaves of cabbage. They all sound like they're in a Lucky Charms commercial.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: My favorite was which she was in front of the fireplace.
Speaker 4: With that big thing and she's burning cusmer, burn and Pete. There's nothing like you do here but burn Pete.
Speaker 2: Sorry, It's like, didn't know what the hell she was talking about. I'm like, who's Pete? Why are you working it? You're still in the house. What happened to Pete? Oh? Is that hatchy peta there that's going on?
Speaker 4: No, So what you me need to tell you is Pete is a type of thing they burned there, sabrino. That's how you burn pete to. It's like a moss. Let's burn for heat. Okay, so grown in it's grown well, it's it's like a loam. I think it's what they say. So it's like burned, it's it's like on the ground.
Speaker 2: Replaced it with another word.
Speaker 4: So it's it's like it's like sheets of this stuff that's grown on the ground that's almost grassy, but that can hold smoke and it holds heat very well. By the way, I could be completely wrong about this, but I don't think I am, because they also use it to hold in heat like that. You can put pete on the top of roofs and stuff like that. Last day they used to build houses with pete and you can also burn pete and heat bogs in Ireland and Scottish.
Speaker 3: All about education here at Magical rewind guys, Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: And speaking of education, Uh, we met O'Reilly or met Riley O'Reilly the grandfather who he'd never met before at the Irish festival.
Speaker 2: The festival who owns the day.
Speaker 1: I thought at first it was product placement, because everybody in the movie is eating from giant bags of Emerald Island potato chips, right to the point where it's so noticeable that I said out loud by myself, why is everybody eating these people?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Because you know already that does not happen in D comms. They do not do anything like that. The channel didn't even have commercials.
Speaker 4: It was it was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was straight. I thought the same thing, what's.
Speaker 4: Going on with the Emerald Dial potatoes?
Speaker 3: As I'm watching it with the with these potato chip Why couldn't they do what everyone else does, which is plays instead of laze, Like, why do we have to have these crazy bags everywhere?
Speaker 2: They're always the same.
Speaker 1: But it's because the giant potato chip factory moved into town like you do. And it's his run by his grandfather Riley O'Reilly, who, of course is he has never met except Rent he met at the Irish Festival. Before that, he hadn't met him because his grandfather is against the marriage of his dad.
Speaker 4: And his mom.
Speaker 3: And he quickly gets blamed for taking this necklace.
Speaker 4: Instantly by his mom, so fast by his daughter.
Speaker 2: She is pissed.
Speaker 3: I mean, she gets so angry so quick and assumes automatically it was him.
Speaker 1: And by the time we should say also by the time that she is angry and blames her her dah, she's she's if not even she's six inches tall and playing the flute.
Speaker 4: While jumping around on the counter.
Speaker 1: Yes, And this is where they break it to Kyle that again, this is what's gonna happen. And that's when he realizes he's getting smaller and his ears are getting pointed to your ears.
Speaker 2: No more money on the ground.
Speaker 1: What's going to happen? So they say, we've got to go to the Potato chip factory. And they end up having to break in to said potato chip factory even though there's a school. It's the same day that the school is bringing a g group of kids there. But Ryan tries to break in again past the Blackrock equivalent of the biggest private security force in the world.
Speaker 4: Uh in the Potata chip security factory. Right, So I.
Speaker 1: An impressive array of security guards and pass the Potato chip factory.
Speaker 4: He goes in. It turns out that oh no, it's not Riley O'Reilly, it's Seamus Finnegan, they think, because Riley O'Reilly says that he's a bad version of leprechauns that like to steal everything.
Speaker 2: Did it ever explain why?
Speaker 4: Because they're just they're teeth and there even lot. That's what it is. That's what it is, Sabrina, there're teeven lot.
Speaker 1: So speaking of which, because obviously we know the answer would be me, because I'm pretty great at it. You can tell who do you think had the best Irish accent of the film.
Speaker 3: Well, I do have to say I was so excited to do this because I was gonna hear yours so often.
Speaker 4: Mine's so terrible.
Speaker 3: Listen, this is not I don't know what a good one is supposed to sound like.
Speaker 4: Good, then mine's perfect. Mind spot off.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 3: I feel as their accents were very strong and as I said, cartoon like, Yes, I've been to Ireland, that's where Jordan and I got engaged. But and I don't ever remember coming across somebody that sounds like that. I got to dance with Trista McManus, who's Irish, and Okay, sometimes it depends what what we were doing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, hanging out, if we were if we were having some drinks or not.
Speaker 3: When he would have drinks, his his Irish accent would get stronger.
Speaker 4: Come through a little bit, a little bit, a wee bit, and.
Speaker 3: He always had and he had different words that I didn't know what he was talking about, like eat so.
Speaker 4: Like peachbom, you know.
Speaker 3: So this was definitely more cartoony, so it's very caricature. It didn't necessarily bother me because I really don't know the difference. Right Again, the whole movie itself was just so much more of an animated type movie than anything but that's.
Speaker 1: I think why some people were getting offended by it is because it was like a caricature of Irish people.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, like everything, we all play the flute and we all do. And had they again, had they just differentiated between the two that one part of the storyline, very proud of our Irish heritage and you're Irish and oh, by the way, you're a leprechaun, I think it would have made all the difference in the world. By the way, fun fact, for everybody out there, as Sabrina and I are getting to know each other, you got engaged in Ireland in the place where Sue and I went on our honeymoon, I know, at Ashford Castle, which is like our favorite place in the world.
Speaker 2: Ashford Castle. Hit us up if you would like us to come there.
Speaker 3: It is over Christmas, by the way, because I heard it's amazing there.
Speaker 4: Truly magical. Yeah, we're trying to go. We're trying to go for New Year's this year is beautiful, ful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm also convinced that one of the reasons that they wrote this entire movie is for the one joke about the shores of Erie, because they talk about how it I guess in Ireland, it's supposed to be are is that's how you say Ireland within the I think it's Gaelic, it's air Raka, but they say Erie, so they use it as the the misdirect at the end to where he you know, he confines the bad Leprechaun to the shores of Erie, and the Leprechaun makes the deal because he thinks that means his homeland of Ireland, and it turns out to be just the lake in Lake Erie in Ohio. Also pretty bashing of Ohio at the end of the day, when they're.
Speaker 4: Like, no, not Ohio, what have I done to myself?
Speaker 1: Like it's it really made anybody from Ohio feel pretty bad about themselves as well. But by this point he's gone kind of full Leprechaun. He's getting shorter, shorter, the hair is getting the hair gone sugar ray.
Speaker 3: The ears the ears have pointed, and he's got oh my gosh, you have to stop for a second.
Speaker 2: This is my spree seas.
Speaker 3: But I've got so many of them that I'm okay, I haven't gone through my list yet.
Speaker 4: I keep checking picture.
Speaker 2: I've come for our abortion. That wretched hat that he had.
Speaker 4: Was so awful to cover the hair.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it was.
Speaker 3: I think it was more about his ears. We're starting to get pointy. That's probably why couldn't it have been a beanie? It was such a bad hat. It bothered me so much. I don't even know where he got that hat. It does not look like he would have owned that hat. It should have been a beanie or something else.
Speaker 2: It was awful.
Speaker 4: I love how you were over the Irish stuff because the dancing wiped away, but you couldn't get over the hat.
Speaker 2: No, the hat bothered me so much. I know, that's just ridiculous. Obviously this out would have been much better.
Speaker 4: That's a wonder You've got a wonderful hat.
Speaker 2: And when not covered his ears, though, I think this is.
Speaker 1: A perfect time to talk a little bit about some of the other characters around him, because he had some of his friends that I thought. Uh, First of all, no one had a problem finding out that he was a leprechaun or that his mom was a leprechaun.
Speaker 4: It was seriously like, I'm part leprechaun. Okay, what do we have to do?
Speaker 1: Which part of me is like, that's the most ridiculous thing in the world, and another part of me is like, that's the kind of friend I wanted.
Speaker 2: That's a kind of cool friend.
Speaker 3: Cool, it's exactly pack your babs, all right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: What kind of am I backing? My packing a shovel or just some cash because we're going out exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I need your help. Don't ask me what it is. But we're gonna hurt some peace car are we taking? Yeah, it's exactly that's what you want. So part of me is respects it in that, It's like, okay, that's I love that. Part of me is like, maybe ask what's going on? Your mom? Six inches tall? Yeah. By the way, my wife's favorite part of the movie, she laughed, she rewound it for some reason, was just the visual back of the car with the giant seat belt on. She my wife loved that so much that she was just to look at the size of her I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, to say it though, there was multiple times where they were laugh out loud moments.
Speaker 2: Yes, you wind Worthy absolutely really good times throughout the movie.
Speaker 4: The same way when you're on acid, you go, dude, did that really happen? I wish I could see that again.
Speaker 1: So his closest friend is the black kid, who is awesome in this movie and has one of the best lines in maybe any dcom so far that I've seen, because it was so earnest and so awesome the way that he said it, where she's talking about how the Irish were really treated horribly in this country and really paid a very low wage when they got here, and without missing a beat, he just goes, well, at least you guys got paid.
Speaker 4: And it was, oh my gosh, awesome because I love that he called it out. I love that he called it out. It was just like, at least you guys got paid. It was such a great line and so glad that Disney did something like that because it was so true, and oh yeah, I thought that was great. His other friend, Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Bonnie, Bonnie Bonnie.
Speaker 4: You start with Bonnie Bonnie.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I think it might because it was just so early on.
Speaker 3: Have one of my okay, I'm done moments was really early on in the movie. I didn't really love Annie really at all, except for during the potato chip like factory that she was she was down for the count or down for the game.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Let's do it? The mission is on, let's go.
Speaker 3: She got on board, but I really just didn't connect with her much at all.
Speaker 4: Were they writing her as a love interest? I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand that.
Speaker 4: It didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her storyline about soccer was pushed, but not pushed enough to make me care about her being a soccer player versus you know what she was there for. It just I really didn't connect her or or need her to be there. I felt like she could her character could have It could have just been him and his buddy.
Speaker 4: Because the actress is good, she was great.
Speaker 2: It was it was what her character, how it was developed.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: And then and then when she went off.
Speaker 3: With his his dad, was it to go make a phone call because her dad was going to be worried?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I found that very change. I mean, I know she needed to, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: But at the beginning she was so off putting. Yeah, she just she needed to know where are you from? What's your heritage? I need to know what you're I'm head of the Heritage Foundation. I need to know what your heritage.
Speaker 1: And it was after a while and then she shows up again at the basketball court where he's there because he can't make the foul shots. Uh huh, And she just shows up again to just be rate him for not knowing where he's from and then get mad at him and walk out.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what is the what are you doing here for the.
Speaker 3: Amount of practice and all that, and then going back into being lucky and well, you have to put the work in.
Speaker 4: He's there at the court practicing by himself, trying to make his ten foul shots, and she's talking about how he doesn't put the work in and where where are you from? From? Where are you from?
Speaker 2: It was, it was just.
Speaker 4: It was, yeah, it she needed she needed to rewrite right, arguably the most important female character in the piece, right next to his mom, who obviously is our connection to the Leprechos.
Speaker 2: And comic relief type stuff because of the funny.
Speaker 4: And she was hysterical mom, especially when she was little. That funny, that.
Speaker 3: Moment, that that character that you really needed to feel for, you know, there needed to be more than that than what she was given.
Speaker 2: I felt. So it's disappointing for that.
Speaker 4: I agree one hundred percent, because she.
Speaker 3: Was great, Like you said, she could have definitely taken on a more of a storyline.
Speaker 4: I think so too.
Speaker 1: So they finally they get Seamus Finnigan, they find out he's actually the one who has stolen the necklace. They go to try to steal the necklace back, because that's the other thing is apparently the grandfather has magical powers where he can now open safes, so he opens the safe to steal the necklace back. But they essentially Ryan says, you can't steal all the money. We're not these people. The grandfather's actually happy, is like, you're embracing your leprechaun side.
Speaker 4: I'll leave the money.
Speaker 1: But that's when the bad guys show back up. And of course, because they seem to have set up that this type of leprechaun has a gambling addiction, that you can just gamble with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, saying with his grandpa not just wanting to take his why what is that part of something about leprechauns that I don't know.
Speaker 1: They've set it up that leprechauns need to steal gold, okay, and it was hard for him to leave the pot of gold that they found at the end of the rainbow, which is a cool addition, like the end of the Rainbow actually met them to the pot of gold.
Speaker 4: But then he almost couldn't like hold on to what it was.
Speaker 3: It was, well, he was very leprechaun at that time because his beard has now grown four feet long. Yeah, I didn't understand that, because again I don't know a lot of history of how the leprechaun even.
Speaker 2: Really came up.
Speaker 4: No one does.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember it having to have this.
Speaker 4: Super long beards.
Speaker 2: I know that gnomes do. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's not something that I've ever equivalated to a leprechaun.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was. It was strange.
Speaker 1: But then to get the coin back, he essentially says, I challenge you to a game of sports, which nobody says I'll challenge you to sports. They'll pick a sport, I challenge you to basketball.
Speaker 4: I pick some.
Speaker 1: But so obviously they want to set it up to where there's a loophole, so he says, I want to challenge you to sports. It ends up being this weird combination of like a de Caathlon and sports that are apparently very quote unquote leprechaun kind of sports. And then it ends up back at the final basketball game where all.
Speaker 4: Of a sudden the Leprechauns.
Speaker 1: The bad Leprechauns have hidden themselves as the opposing team, the Grandfather, who I have.
Speaker 4: To assume nobody can see except the Leprechuns.
Speaker 1: Like none of the other team can see him because he's chained to the top of the basketball.
Speaker 2: Who chains from three hundred years ago?
Speaker 1: Right, you got to imagine they're magical chains that make it so nobody can see him.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's so tiny though, right.
Speaker 4: It's very strong. Yeah, he's now get because I think he's also getting smaller.
Speaker 3: Okay, is he not that tiny of a person. He seems like he's pretty sure.
Speaker 4: Well, I think in real life he's small, but I think.
Speaker 2: He's not as tiny as he was on that basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he even says, why aren't you changing faster? Why aren't you getting smaller? And he says it's a funny line. He says, old people. It's harder for old people to change, so funny, how he says, but they finished the basketball game. It's obviously it's a very decom moment. They finished the basketball game. Ryan ends up winning. It turns out to be you have to stay on Lake Erie. He gets trapped on Lake Erie and you think the movie's done. It can't get any more Disney than that. And then for some reason it ends up in the strangest thing I've seen in a d com or maybe any movie ever, where they end up at heritage. That's fine, he now knows his heritage. He does the Irish dance, he does the kind of Leprechaun thing at the end, No problem, everybody claps, movie over right, No, All of a sudden he breaks into a version of this Land is our Land.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I that Then everyone starts to sing.
Speaker 4: And this is when the acid had fully kicked in for fully.
Speaker 3: Why I love musical moments, you know, I'm as single girl. I have no idea why this was how we had to end the movie.
Speaker 4: It was weird.
Speaker 3: I was good with the Lord of the Dance, Yes, exactly that he did.
Speaker 2: To me, that was a good Disney moment. I loved it, exactly hilarious.
Speaker 3: I thought he did really well if that was him in fact dancing for you know, some at least at least some of it.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: This it was cringey. It was super cringey.
Speaker 2: Song was so weird.
Speaker 3: And again they're at this heritage assembly or whatever it is, and they're all dressed to these very cliche outfits to represent their heritage singing the song. I didn't understand it. It was the weirdest way.
Speaker 1: You get what they're going for because it's Disney, but it was very bizarre. Speaking of songs, by the way, the soundtrack which was mostly Irish, but once again they managed to fit a Ska yes song in there.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then there was a sound of like like a perfect sounded like of TLC's Waterfalls kind of did you hear that where? Oh yeah, it was right at the beginning Ryan wins the basketball thing and all the girls are coming up to them and it does it sounds like water That's what I thought it was, was Waterfalls by TLC.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I have to go watch it again.
Speaker 4: Oh that's our film.
Speaker 1: I know what we thought about it, but what did other people think about it? Sabrina, It's our time for our real reviews, where you know, we take a five star review that from the internet, which is real, and a one star review from the internet, which is real, and we read them to you.
Speaker 4: Do you have a preference of which one you do today?
Speaker 3: I'm going to do the five star because I think you well, I'm going to make a request for yours, but I'll do it after the five star.
Speaker 4: Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: All right? This is from Kelsey Chacci.
Speaker 3: This documentary taught me a lot about the Irish culture. The film follows the struggles of an Irish immigrant son and his struggles to fit in as a leprechaun. This movie was a great reference for me for prepping for my trip to Ireland.
Speaker 1: I'd like to point out again they started. This documentary meant a lot to me about the Irish culture.
Speaker 2: Kelsey.
Speaker 3: Nothing on the Disney Channel is a documentary upricauns.
Speaker 2: I don't think they've ever done a documentary I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, but certainly not about leprechaun.
Speaker 3: Com does not stand for documentary exactly, dcom stands for documentary.
Speaker 4: The one star is by somebody named Pierce Comerford.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I'm saying that right.
Speaker 2: Can you do this in your accent? Please?
Speaker 4: Oh god? Really?
Speaker 2: Okay, never mind.
Speaker 4: It said, well, here's why I don't want to do it because the first line does.
Speaker 1: I found this movie very cringey, to say the least. I found this movie very cringey to say les as an Irish person. We are sick of Americans think we were all leprechauns, which are fictional characters.
Speaker 4: That's besides the point. The plot of this movie was okay, but the acting and Irish accents, references and jokes were terrible. Would not recommend.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this you know, at different time, and but it was I can see how it was. Would be a little cringey, and I think you said it absolutely right. Where had this been any other ethnic group, yes, they wouldn't have even made this movie.
Speaker 4: No, So yeah, interesting. We are now going to our wonderful segment that I love, so I just might be becoming one of my favorite segments that we did start three and a half facts, which, as you know, there are three facts that are real, and then a fact that we might I don't know, might be real, might not. We found it on the internet. It could be real, might be Do you want to start?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Nine BYU students and graduate dancers were cast as Irish step dancers because when you think BYU, you think Irish.
Speaker 2: Well it obviously it was. It was filmed in Utah.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, yeah, so it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Must have been what it was another dcom filmed in in good old Utah.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just gonna say that's what it brings us, right, it's a perfect transition to number two, which is The Luck of the Irish. And another dcom, Halloween Town High They filmed that the same Utah High School, which is Wan Diego Catholic School. So yeah, Utah is one of those catchalls, especially for Disney. It's a great state to shoot in. The people there are very friendly, and it's gorgeous background.
Speaker 2: So however, I.
Speaker 3: Will say they needed to start being more specific or more detailed focus on it, because I feel like you can recognize the high school hallways and the entrances. Oh really, that entrance a movie that I've seen Hatching Pete. That entrance into it wasn't the same, or there was there was an entrance into the basketball game or somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that looked very similar.
Speaker 4: You know, they could all just go to the same high school.
Speaker 1: Every dcom takes place at the same high school, and it's just every student there is amazing different issue.
Speaker 4: It's like that one's a leprechaun. That yeah, that one is Molficent's kid. Like they're all just at the same High School. That'd be awesome, all right.
Speaker 3: Cleveland's Irish population is actually well above the country's average, with thirteen point four percent of residents claiming Irish descent. So the movie has some realism in its plot, but there are no statistics about the leprechauns.
Speaker 4: That's true. We weren't able to find that unable.
Speaker 1: My half fact is something that I knew before even our amazing producers did the research.
Speaker 2: Oo, and did you tell them this?
Speaker 4: And I yelled at the screen as it was happening. No.
Speaker 1: So this movie claims that the Irish invented the potato trip, but that's not true, so it's very heavily disputed. That's true, but in a disputed claim. The most well known theory is that chef George krum Or Crumb from Saratoga Springs, New York. And this is the story that I had heard too, sliced the potato too thin as a revenge after a customer claimed the potatoes he was serving were cut too thick. So the story that I heard was he delivered French fries. They said, we want thin French fries. He delivered him again they said they're not thin enough. So as a oh yeah, well, what do you think of this? He sliced them as thin as he possibly could, fried him up, and boom, the potato chip was born. For the record, there are like fifteen other people who claim they invented it as well, including somebody from New York just named Bobby Potato Chip. But we can't guarantee any of that, by the way, But those are the story.
Speaker 4: Those are the stories that I heard was the same thing.
Speaker 1: It was at a hotel I believe in Sarahtoga Springs, New York.
Speaker 4: If we are wrong, I apologize, But it's on the internet.
Speaker 3: So it's never huge reason why I would be so terrible in customer service, because I would do something like that, Oh you want more ranch, You want more ranch? Again, I just gave you a little thing of ranch, so I'd bring out like the biggest bowl of ranch I could just.
Speaker 4: But then you would have just invented ranch bowl, which would then have taken over the world, much like the potato trip. That's the joy exactly. We're going to get into some Irish and I guess leprechaun slang game right now, and I'm going to give you some some of the very intense Irish slang that was.
Speaker 3: You have to jot these down for maybe a game at my next Saint Patrick's Day party exactly.
Speaker 4: So for example, DA is dad obviously, but we heard a lot of boyo, which is a boy or a lad? Okay, gillies are the ladies that are it's a ladies Irish dancing shoe, the gillies. Apparently the gillies got it? Okay, did you wear gillies when you were tapping? You wore tap?
Speaker 2: I just wore tap shoes. But maybe you could call them that.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Creu beans are boiled pigs feet. Bonnie Clapper is a type of sour milk, and the far Derek is the short, ugly fairy from Irish stories that is known for being mischievous. So the far Derek is what Seamus Finnegan was supposed to be. Okay, he's supposed to be a far dereg.
Speaker 1: And they're the gambling kind of drinking hard party and apparently very good at different sports. I do want to bring back adam Ory if we could, because we haven't done it in Aim.
Speaker 4: Okay, what do you got who would you add and wear?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: We have not added one in a while, and I do love this. I can't imagine any of them in this.
Speaker 4: MOS is kind of a tough one, right, This was kind of a tough one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing I could think was maybe splitting the Bonnie character into two characters and making it t Ya and Maria.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make more sense of being so overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Maybe one was more about like soccer and one was more about you know, something like that. But this, this was a tough one to do because I thought the kid who was African American who played his best friend was great.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I know, I feel like, I don't know, Yeah, I don't know where you throw.
Speaker 3: Them in oh Man or Taj as a potato chip security guard.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what this movie was lacking, was a larger private potato chip security force member.
Speaker 2: Other security guard exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh Man or one of the one of the twins being her mom instead of her dad being a part of the you know how he was really hard on her.
Speaker 2: Maybe taking over that role.
Speaker 4: Oh, you could have done that. That would have been cool. It could have They could have written a role to where it was like you meet the head of their kind of clan that that says you've got to go and you know, really kind of explains the said of the grandfather. Maybe it's like the head of the clan and that could be Tear or Tamara who comes in. It's like you were holding all our luck. That could have been interesting.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because I wonder if Tia, Tamara or Taje could do a bad Irish accent to be into this film, which which brings us now to something we've been You've been chomping at the bit because you're cutting down your list the whole time.
Speaker 3: Just I mean, you should see how long I have to make my list because you're getting better and better.
Speaker 2: Will I love it? I gotta keep going through.
Speaker 4: Let's do Sabrina sees.
Speaker 3: First of all, I just had to one of the ones that's in bold Bold Bold was during this whole you know, sport competition that he's doing too to win, you know, his his.
Speaker 2: His coin back.
Speaker 3: They make the comment that dance is not a sport, and I would just like to take a few seconds to make sure that everyone in the Disney Channel world knows that it is actually a sport. It's an athletic. Sure, it's it's within the athletic, they're called athletes on the team, they get pe credit.
Speaker 2: So I just needed to do that. That one is the bold and bold.
Speaker 4: That's not that's Sabrina's pissed.
Speaker 2: Well that was said in the movie, and I just can't believe they allowed that.
Speaker 4: I just hope for the record that the producers just put in a subrenus right after we just did that. Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: Perfect, Okay.
Speaker 3: One of my things, I thought you were gonna say this, that was Sue's favorite part, and kept laughing in the car that this is what I thought you were gonna say.
Speaker 2: I almost blurted it out. My favorite was when Grandpa comes up. He comes up and she punches himself with tiny fish. He goes.
Speaker 4: It was not expected.
Speaker 2: I knew she was upset, but to punch your dad.
Speaker 4: WHOA, my gosh.
Speaker 2: I watched that probably five times.
Speaker 3: It was so good it was, and he was so great taking a punch and her just imagining her any bitty little she I can't.
Speaker 4: Have to say, I thought, especially when she got little, she stole this movie for me. I thought she was so good, so good.
Speaker 1: A very cartoonist version, but she was great at it. Yes, she was great at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really, and then the whole car seeing the chase with the RV, I mean that was just so hilarious to me, and the fact that he has this convertible car, and I mean all of that. The end of that whole scene was just something going, are we seeing everything that's happening in front of us right now? And then she's sitting on a little which I thought for Disney was I don't think they would do it now. I can't remember how big smoking was an issue back then, but she sits on a little.
Speaker 2: Packet of matches which she's on the front of.
Speaker 3: The car, and I was just I mean, I don't know what else it could have been, but it was kind of funny to me that she would sit on matches on it in a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: I think matches are probably a cheap thing to make big because you obviously have to make this huge thing, right, Yeah, so it's probably.
Speaker 4: Like, what's the cheapest thing we could make that's small, that'll make Okay, let's make a book.
Speaker 2: That would be in a car of some sort.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just the fact that the car itself, the fact that it was a convertible, it totally gets just clobbered and awful all the stuff that's on them, I mean that whole thing. And then again we got I got my my SKA moment.
Speaker 2: That is, we see very clear at this era of.
Speaker 3: The Disney Channel that they are using ska in every single movie that they can.
Speaker 4: You love it and you're down for it, and I'm totally.
Speaker 2: Down for it. So happy again, yes, and I'm happy again.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, then let's rate it. If we're here and you enjoyed the movie. What what do you think should we do?
Speaker 4: You know? One out of ten boiled pigs feet tiny tiny leprechaun moms, Yeah, Potato chip security guards, m basketball, Grandpa's on a basketball hoop. What do you think?
Speaker 2: How do we I like the Potato chip security Guard.
Speaker 1: It's one Potato Chip security Guard is a bad movie. Ten Potato Chip Security Guard is a phenomenal movie. How many Potato Chip security guards you got?
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna go right in the middle and even well, I maybe I'll do a five and a half potato chip security guards.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you and I? I think we're starting to be the same way. I had five.
Speaker 1: Potato chip security guards, which is sixty two guards. Less than they had at the Potato chip factory exactly. Yeah, I agree, this was It wasn't my favorite, if I'm honest. I found it just to be super weird, and I probably could have given it a higher number, like maybe a six six and a half.
Speaker 4: The song at the end, yeah, really pulled it down.
Speaker 2: Pulled it down for me, It really did.
Speaker 3: I might I probably would have gone the same six down to five and a half because it ended so terribly.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, there we go. Thank you everybody so much for joining us this week for the luck of the Irish.
Speaker 4: If you want to go and watch this just absolute acid trip of a film, please check it out.
Speaker 1: Just you know, be safe as you're watching. And thank you so much once again for joining us. The next movie we're going to be watching. I know nothing of this next movie.
Speaker 4: Nothing.
Speaker 1: It is two thousand and four's Pixel Perfect, but it is one of the ones that people have really wanted us to watch.
Speaker 3: A lot of people I keep getting dms like crazy, you gotta do that, And I've never watched it either. And this is right around when I was really watching a lot of d cooms, So I don't know how I miss It's.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and four. You're right in the heart of everything with those two girls and all that kind of stuff, So we'll see, we'll see. Yeah, this is this is the dcom's answer for AI obviously, and again I know nothing of this, so this is going to be a fun one to watch. Thank you so much for joining us. Don't forget. You can subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram machine and join us next time.
Speaker 1: I was gonna end with a horrible Irish accent and I can't even bring myself to it.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe could you just very quickly sing the last song for us and we'll all join in creepily Now.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing that at all, No way. That was so cringey it couldn't even get through the first line.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you all for joining us, and we'll see you next time here under Magical Rewind. Thank you.