Speaker 1: Done.
Speaker 2: Dundun dun du do dun dun.
Speaker 1: Worry.
Speaker 3: Today's episode contained spoilers for all of Superman movies. Every Superman movie ever made, that's right, starting from nineteen seventy eight's Richard Donner Superman the Movie up through the Snyder Verse to get us ready for the new Superman movie by James Gunn. So be warned if you haven't seen those movies, we're gonna spoiler.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 3: My name is Jason Conceptio and I'm Mersey Night, and welcome back to the x ray vision of the podcast will be dive. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture coming from our podcast or bring you episodes every Tuesday and Thursday.
Speaker 1: Plus all summer long.
Speaker 3: We're highlighting the summer's biggest movies every Friday with our Popcorn pop Out series, plus news news on Saturday.
Speaker 5: In today's episode, we are recapping Superman's major film appearances Busted than the Speeding Bullet, every single movie from nineteen seventy eight Superman.
Speaker 6: To the Justice League to get us ready for the majestic, hopeful hopefully blockbuster.
Speaker 7: Yeah, James Gunns Superman.
Speaker 1: Rosie, what are you?
Speaker 3: What's your what are your thoughts on the Superman films and what's your favorite one.
Speaker 5: Well, Okay, I grew up watching these movies, as I'm sure you did as well. They were constantly on TV. I have lots of good memories of them. I think that.
Speaker 7: I know them all really well.
Speaker 5: And I would say objectively, I think Superman one is probably the best one. But because I was a kid, the one that I loved was Superman three. It came out five years before I was born. It had Richard Pryor in it.
Speaker 3: It's the one that taught me about how to embezzle exactly.
Speaker 7: It's a big embezzling story.
Speaker 5: I just think that for some reason, there was something about like the kind of weird computer genius, like evil Tech. I think for me, it just really created a kind of it seemed fun. It was fun in a way that I think we've spoken.
Speaker 3: Recently about the cinematic history of the Black Hacker, and I think this is kind of the first one.
Speaker 7: Definitely, this is up there.
Speaker 5: And also that's another reason why I was very excited for Ironheart. Shak A Lay continues that, but this is definitely nineteen eighty three. I think this is the first one because my incredible friend James F. Wright actually has a brilliant zne abouts and uh, we kind of like, do you include a programmer like the guy in Tomine?
Speaker 7: Do you include?
Speaker 5: But this is like a true hacka hacka hacka and obviously it's Richard Prya, so it's Richard Priya hacka.
Speaker 1: How fun. He's wonderful.
Speaker 7: Okay, what about you, what's your favorite?
Speaker 3: It's probably gonna be Superman too, because, like you, these were always on I've probably seen them a.
Speaker 2: Billion million zillion times.
Speaker 3: And for me, the the big superhero fights between.
Speaker 1: Zod and the Versa and Non and.
Speaker 3: Superman that occur like all throughout Metropolis with like trucks getting thrown into buildings, it just seemed like the.
Speaker 1: Most incredible thing I'd ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's some wonderful twists and turns, and I love Gene Hackman in these worlds like this. I think this is kind of like my first introduction to Gene Hackman that makes Superman movies. So, uh, I just think he does He's like he's he does a character unlike any he's ever done four or since, and it's really fun and wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that let's go, let's still into it.
Speaker 3: Let's start with Superman nineteen seventy. It's Superman, directed by Richard Donner, is a film that nobody thought would be particularly anything, but Gene Hackman signed on and that got the film made Christopher Reeve wonderful as Clark Kenton Superman. Marlon Brando in a crazy in a from the neck up only basically boom.
Speaker 7: He said, he for me where I needed. Don't be bothered about it's pre zoom zoom.
Speaker 3: He's like probably filming in his underpads, you know, like we are worrying Covid.
Speaker 4: And Marvel Kidder.
Speaker 7: She's the lowest laying baby.
Speaker 1: That's like the good stuff.
Speaker 3: So we open on Krypton. It is a crystal world and it is falling apart. It's where we're right here. At the very very very end of Krypton, Jo l Marlon Brando and beautiful like disco armor, discuts his baby in a glowing bascinet, puts it on a space ship, shoots him out into space.
Speaker 2: The baby lands in.
Speaker 3: A smallville out in the middle of the country, and he is discovered in his little flying saucer by Mom pock Kent and They're like, this kid is special because he just lifted our truck like very easily, and so they immediately adopt the boy Clark. As he grows, he grapples with the fact that he's so different. He's got these powers, he's got to keep them hidden. He like secret leads them by like running faster than a speeding locomotive, and then pack Kent dies, making Clark very very sad. He discovers the glowing green crypton on crystal, which was like hidden in the barn, and he follows.
Speaker 1: The crystal to north, far far north. He takes a bus I know, like I like sure.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's the kind of public transport. I dream all this, like can I take public transport to and talk to He like all thea into the pole and walks walks, walks, walks, walks like up a glacier. And then when he gets to a certain spot, he throws this glow stick like out and it melts into the water underneath underneath the ice, and it builds the Fortress of solitude. And as it's building it, Clark has like zero. It's so funny. They cut back a different actor, like a younger actor than Christopher Reeve.
Speaker 1: They cut back to him and.
Speaker 3: He has like no reaction to this incredible thing he's watching.
Speaker 1: He's like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: It just bubbles up out of the ocean. And then here's where I'll pause and say this.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, let's stop, let's stop creepy. Listen.
Speaker 1: I love this movie, and I think.
Speaker 2: Formative movie.
Speaker 3: And we love, as everyone knows, practical effects. We talk about how great practical love them and and it's it's so wonderful when you see them balanced with good modern effects.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: But this is a film that will make you appreciate CG and what it's done for us. Because the Fortress of Solitude building scene looks like complete fucking ship. It looks like it's taking place like in a jacuzzi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this movie is like extremely disco coded, Yes, extremely disco code.
Speaker 3: It's like there's lights under a jacuzzi and then somebody underneath is like pushing these plastic like crystal things up out.
Speaker 1: Of the water so that they look like they build a fortress of solitude.
Speaker 3: And if you show this to any like Zoomer who is not who is like raised on the Mandalorian, Yeah, kids, who was shocked when they rewatched twenty eight Days late recently and we're like, well, it looks like shit, why did they film it on this DV camera raised on the Mandalorian And like the Infinity saga, they will watch this scene in particular and be like, what are you guys serious? Like will you peasant? Like, yeah, this is what you watched. What is this poverty film that you were showing me at the time?
Speaker 7: I look very very informative.
Speaker 5: Absolute, Yes, it's not all. Not everything has aged well as the fantastic performance of Christopher Eve and Margot Kidd in these roles.
Speaker 3: So Clerk goes in. He talks to an AI version of his dad, Marlon Brando, who is like, what do you want to know? And then Marlon tells him everything Krypton and the powers and why he picked Earth and the Yellow Sun and all YadA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: He puts on the suit. It just kind of like he just kind of has it on and then flies for the first time and he becomes Superman. He goes to Metropolis where he gets a job at the Daily Planet as a cub reporter, and he immediately falls in love with Ace reporter Lois Lane an Ark and this is where you're like Man Christopher Reeve.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: The way he is able to like be Clark and be Superman and make that two distinctive characters just with his the way he kind of hunches or straightens his body is incredible. Yea, he is very bumbling, you know, in the presence of Lois. But then when she has a helicopter accident up on the roof of the planet, he springs into action saves her life with the iconic line.
Speaker 1: Delivered by Margot Kidder.
Speaker 3: After Superman says I got you catch catches her she's falling.
Speaker 1: She goes, oh no. He says, I've got you.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, I've got you, and she says, who's got you? And so he becomes an immediate sensation, starts doing like, you know, saving dogs and trees and doing things around Intropolis and Daily Planet.
Speaker 1: At her, Perry White is like, I want, I want everything you could give me a Superman. Does he sleep?
Speaker 3: How much does he sleep? What does he even for breakfast? Who does he love?
Speaker 7: How often does he go to the bathroom?
Speaker 1: You know, like he just wants everything.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Lex Luthor, Evil real estate villain, Time Ahead of its time living in a beautiful, palatial subterranean layer. He has an evil plan to nuke California off the map so that his land in Nevada becomes high priced beachfront property. Now it's incredible, ridiculous plane. I don't it's a great plan that's not a Superman kind of foils an early part of the plan, causing Lex to be like, I gotta get this guy out of the way. So he uses like a high frequency tone to draw Superman to his subterranean layer, where in deleted scenes that actually should have been in the movie, we watched his Lex like fires machine guns at.
Speaker 7: Him, and you see all the things that don't that.
Speaker 1: Don't work, flamethrowers.
Speaker 3: I can't believe they cut that scene out of the movie. But Superman gets in and he confronts Lex, and Lex is like, well, I look at this stand on this map of California, and I'm going to show you this whole plan that I'm doing, and guess what, you can't stop me because of this, and he pulls out kryptonite that he had He discovered kryptonite would affect Superman in this way, and he had he'd found a chunk of it and he put it on a necklace, and he pulls it out and puts it around super Kryptonite necklace and Superman gets very very weak, and then he pushed Superman into his underground swimming pool and Superman begins to sink to the bottom of the pool and drop. But because while this is going on, lexis hijacked to other missiles. They're being launched and one of them is headed to Hackensack, New Jersey, where miss Hesmacher, Lexi's assistant. Yes, very important character who is in the new James Gun movie and has been throughout the history of Lutha has been his girlfriend slash assistant, but who always seems to land on the side of good, and that is established ya. She's got a soft spot for Superman, who is very handsome. So when she finds out that one of the missiles is going to New Jersey and the other one, of course, is going to the San Andrea's Fault, she surprisingly dives into the pool, pulls the necklace off Superman and saves him, and while he's very very weak, kisses him a little.
Speaker 2: It's on the line. It's it's on the line.
Speaker 3: I mean he's adults like he's not in a good stake, but like he let die.
Speaker 1: But you know what, she's excited.
Speaker 3: She's very excited area and she says, just promise me, you'll save my mom first. So Superman flies off. He saves uh the New Jersey missile. First, he throws it into space. It blows up.
Speaker 5: It's fine, He's always throwing something into space. He's gonna be more thoughtful about that. Space is not just like a different ecosystem that's never gonna interact with, like not just your dumping grab eel musk.
Speaker 1: I mean, Superman, come on.
Speaker 3: He then flies to the San Andreas target and missile, but he can't get it.
Speaker 1: He can't get there in.
Speaker 3: Time, and it triggered. It blows up, it starts triggering the Lex earthquake, and the earthquake is like killing lots of people, and Lois is falling into a crevice that was created by the earthquake and she's gonna die. And Superman, seeing all this, and what's he gonna do, he decides to fly in the reverse direction of the Earth's orbit, thus causing the Earth to spin backwards for a little while, turning back time to give himself enough time to throw the missile out into space and everyone is saved, including Lois Lane. Now before we move on to Superman too, there's a lot of questions about this. Yes, is does is time only reversed around Earth or is it that why around the entire Solar system?
Speaker 5: Also how the people are, Like how did that affect people on Earth?
Speaker 7: Because I feel like physically, if.
Speaker 5: You're going so fast that you time back time, you're probably also going to like impact some living humans. But it's a classic moment, yeah, and also an establishing moment of how powerful Superman.
Speaker 3: Is if if he's doing it by spinning the Earth back the other way, wouldn't there be a moment as the Earth is kind of slowing in, you know, in its forward direction, and about it we all just.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah that we all.
Speaker 1: Just sty.
Speaker 3: Also, I want to say something that this movie establishes, aside from the fantastic eve Teshmey, who is actually created for this movie and then went on to be in the comics and in the continuing like Araverse and in James Gun's upcoming Superman, but also this establishes one of my favorite things about these movies that I think the modern movies have not continued, and I would like to see James Gun movie continue.
Speaker 1: Lois Lane, played.
Speaker 5: By Margot Kidder, is absolutely unhinged, like she will throw herself off a building just to get Superman to come and you know, get her and then like hold her to.
Speaker 1: Get the get the story, to get the story.
Speaker 3: So like I just want to say, I love unhinged Lewis Lane, who will.
Speaker 1: Like throw herself off a building.
Speaker 5: But yes, Superman too, Let's get to it, because I always remember the opening of this movie and just thinking it was so cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, here's the thing about the performance. But Margot Kidder of Lois Lane, who again wonderful. She's opened up about I think her her as many in the late seventies were doing dabbling into the substances, and so you get the feeling that she was, oh baby, she was really really excited during these films.
Speaker 7: Definitely she's loving our life.
Speaker 3: Next up Superman two Richard Donner and Richard Lester starring because the Gene Hackman turned stamp who Zod and of course Margot Kidder.
Speaker 1: Previously of course, we you know, we open like.
Speaker 3: In the in the immediate almost wake of cerment.
Speaker 1: During this missile into space.
Speaker 3: That missile which went out into space blows up, and it just so it's like the universe is.
Speaker 1: A huge place, huge, galaxy is huge.
Speaker 3: But by chance the blast wave shatters this space prison created on Krypton to house vicious Kryptonian war criminal General Zod and his two compatriots, the nonfable non and Ursa, his right hand lieutenant. Back on Earth, Clark is in Niagara Falls on assignment with Lois, and there's this very funny thing where they have to stay at this like Niagara Falls, like wedding overnightantic kind of hotel with a big heartbed and a big like and a jacuzzi and a fire pit and the in the room and all this stuff, and Clark is like saving Lois during different things during the day. And then but back at the hotel room, he falls into the fire pit and and Lois is like, oh my god, are you okay, and he's likely don't look at it, don't look. And then when he turns and she gets a look at him, she realizes, wait a second, you're fine. Hold on a second. He must be superman. And he's like, he takes off his glasses. Incredible, he takes off the glasses, stands up and you're like.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, he is, so he admits it.
Speaker 3: He takes her to the Fortress of Solitude, shows her all the stuff, all the crystals.
Speaker 1: Tells you about.
Speaker 7: Superman is like such a trusting guy.
Speaker 5: Like the moment he tells Lewis Lane, He's like, come to my secret portress, Come to my secret Antarctic fortress that was made of a disco jacuzzi, and see all my alien history. I'm gonna tell you everything. I'm like, come on, Beb, come on, Beb. She's not gonna betray you, but like off jump immediately She's tell everything exactly.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: She's kind of like the biggest The conversations around journalism and Superman are so interesting. So he shows her all the stuff and then he says, you know what for us to be together, basically like I've got.
Speaker 1: To be a human like you.
Speaker 3: So the for watch this, and he steps into this crystal phone booth and there's lights and there's sound and happening inside the phone booth, and when he steps out, he's just a guy, no powers anymore. They make beautiful, satisfying love in a white bed. I feel like if I'm Lewis Lane and I'm like falling, I'm like keep the super powers for the first time at least, like I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to die.
Speaker 7: Let's not like just let's just jump into it, like yeah, like.
Speaker 1: The don't just like become a human like guse by.
Speaker 3: The way, like we have to kind of get married now, and I'm not like I'm not getting married now.
Speaker 7: And I just get married to like some brat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, guys.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Zod lands on Earth and immediately he and his fellows realize that they're incredibly powerful because they with their heat eyes and they're just like, you know, cars are crashing into them and nothing's so they're like, you know what, why don't we just take over there? Everybody's so weak here?
Speaker 5: What do you just like take over the entire because it was like it's meant to be because hey, power us who.
Speaker 3: Runs this place? And they're like the president, they're great.
Speaker 1: They fly to watching the DC.
Speaker 3: Get into the White House, beat up everybody, the president. They're like smacking the president around a live TV. And then Zoon is like put the cameras on me, and he put the cameras on him and He's like, hey, I run this place. I am General Zoon. I run this place. Now, you will all kneel before. Kneel before. And Clark sees this on television in a diner where he just got beat up by like a regular guy. It's the random dude who was harassing Lois and Clark was like, hey, you don't do that, and the guy was like, oh yeah, watch this, and he beats the ship out of Clark and Clark realizes, fuck, I mean I fu becomes like Lois is like wiping the blood off his face with a navy He's like, damn, I was hasty. One thing I appreciate about these movies and movies of this era, man that was quick. There's not like he just tides to lose his powers. But you know what, immediately you get the scene in which he realizes that was mistaken, goes back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's I need like two movies to explain. It's just that we don't need his number it.
Speaker 3: This doesn't need to be an entire act. You could just like make him go back and and I really appreciated that about this movie. So he goes back and goes back to the fortress of Solitude and kind of off camera becomes Supermanigan. Meanwhile, Lex loves what he's seeing from this Zod guy, so he breaks out of jail infiltrates the fortress, learns all about Superman, then goes to see Zod and was like, hey, Zod is by the way with his feed up like in the Oval office, like hang out just like love, you know, running things. And he's like, hey, Lex Luthor here and I've got some incredible information for you about a guy named Superman. He is from I believe the same planet as you, and you might know him. And they're like, oh my god, I know that, I know his dad.
Speaker 1: We hate that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so they yeah, So they fly to Metropolis to like take this guy out there and they're destroying the city and then Superman shows up. He's like hey, it's me, I'm here. Superman fights all three of them. It's an incredible fight, but it's becoming too destructive and Superman flies away and Zod is like, aha, the coward flees and they follow him back to the Fortress of Solitude, where Superman tricks everybody. He's like, okay, I will give if you will spare Earth like I will give up my powers. So he steps back into the crystal phone booth and then there's the lights, and then there's the sound. But crucially, the lights and the sound are happening outside, not inside the phone. And when he steps out, guess what, Zod and his buddies are depowered and like easily kills.
Speaker 1: I think he kills them in is he not? I think he.
Speaker 3: Throws them into like a bottomless smoke pit, and they they don't have anything.
Speaker 7: They never come back.
Speaker 3: They never come back, so they're just kind of dead. And so I think, listen, we're gonna go to break. But let's just think about that. Do we need to give Zack Snyder and Man of Steel a little grace? Considering in the previous Richard Donner led Superman to film a great sequel, Superman Kills Three.
Speaker 7: I will say I I nobody said a thing.
Speaker 5: I understand why people were upset, but I do agree. I am an I've written many articles about whether or not Batman kills and the truth is in the comics he does kill people. In the movies, he's definitely killing. And I think the reality is someone like Superman, even with the festive intentions, is sometimes gonna kill.
Speaker 4: Someone a cigarette break, and we're back with.
Speaker 3: Rosie's favorite, my childhood favorite, Superman three. Richard Lelier takes the rein starring Christopher Reeve, Richard.
Speaker 1: Prior on Jackie Cooper of.
Speaker 3: Course is Perrie White.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so Richard Pryor is a computer genius, but he is always getting fired and he's he's he's got that problem where he's smarter than everybody else.
Speaker 1: He works with.
Speaker 2: He's smarter than his boss, and nobody likes that.
Speaker 1: So he gets fired.
Speaker 3: But then he stumbles into a job working for this evil tech computer company. And this guy wants to basically control the He wants to completely monopolize the world's supply of coffee, which is okay, bro all right, yes Webster like shure my guy. And by the way, this is the film for the first time where I where they use the exact bit that Richard Pryor uses in this to take the pennies from every paycheck and put it into a secret account. This is exactly the This is exactly uh the scheme from Office Space. Yes, and in fact they call it out that they were doing the exact thing from uh from Superman three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is how we learned to embezzel bangs.
Speaker 3: So at the behest of this guy, Prior creates like a synthetic Kryptonite tar, and the tar causes Superman to become like a meana alcoholic dad.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, I'm like is this I'm like, is this where they got that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: Is this like concurrent with Black Suit Spider Man.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling like there's a lot of Similaritiesier he.
Speaker 3: Gets like stubble on his face and he's like a dick, and he goes to bars and he's date he causing problems like flicking peanuts. Also interesting caninical choice here because, as you will discover from reading the comics and especially in terms of what the Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow story taught us, this was before the kind of established canon of like Cryptonians can't really get drunk on a Yellow Sun planet because they're constant, their body's constantly healing.
Speaker 5: And reviving themselves. So this was pre that, So a rare Superman getting drunk, though I guess the Kryptonite tar is the reason. But yes, very hilarious and outrageous and very like venom coded, very very.
Speaker 3: Venom coded So Superman is goes around and he's doing all this like really dick shit he's blowing. He blows out the Olympic flame as like the guy is about to light the flame during the Olympic ceremonies.
Speaker 1: He straightens the leaning.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that bit I always remember as a kids like no Joe. So at the behest of the evil CEO tech villain Richard Pryor creates a supercomputer that he's gonna use for his grand like coffee scheme. And this supercomputer, they lose control of it. It becomes like kind of like alive that it becomes the ultimate computer. And uh, it like turns a woman into a cyborg by like it's a really bizarre fashion that is like caused to brings to mind like Metropolis by exceptionally strange movie, very very strange movie. It like swallows her up and like this like computer tape like covers her and then she turns into like this kind of cyborg woman.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Superman saves the day.
Speaker 3: By like dumping acid that he got from a chemical plant on this computer, and he fixes all the things that he did. Uh, and Gus gets a new life in West Virginia. Because he wasn't really a bad guy. He was just like kind of in bad circumstances and everything's factly and.
Speaker 1: We move on too.
Speaker 3: Superman four The Quest for Peace. This is a dumb movie and kind of the worst of them. Jpury directed, also.
Speaker 5: Like very Orbits time and kind of like weirdly trying to answer the question of like what would Superman really try and do? But you probably think about that because he's Superman, babe, Like he's not, he doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Superman saves some Russians and then later he like decides, because of a message Juicy's getting from various people, that he should like try and make sure that like World War three, a nuclear war never happens.
Speaker 1: Kids are skeed of.
Speaker 5: War, and a kid writes him letter and it's like, nucleip war is bad, get rid of every nuke, which you know, great kid instinct that but not realistic to this the kind of cultural movement of the time.
Speaker 3: Yes. So meanwhile, Lenny, the I believe nephew of Lex Luthor breaks his uncle Lex out just kind of for kicks. They go to Metropolis. Lex gets a hold of some of Superman's hair and in an early scene of dna use ye. He creates this super villain using radioactivity. And this guy is Nuclear Man, who's basically you know, he's this is what I love about this era. You know, he's edgy and bad because he has a mullet.
Speaker 8: He has a mullet, baby crazy, which is also hilarious because that again very influential on the comics because then later on you will get mullet Superman in his black suit absolutely yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 3: So he's got that black Shazam kind of suit and he looks like a WWE wrestler, and he's got definitely does kind of Palpatine powers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yellow Palpatine powers.
Speaker 3: And he's very very strong, but he needs to stay in the sun kind of like Superman. He draws his power from the sun, but and his body is a nuclear reactor. But like when he's out of direct sunlight, unlike Superman, who like can store it like a battery. When he's out of it, he like powers down. So I'm an oymous weakness for Nuclear Man. Nuclear Man and Superman get in a little fight and Nuclear Man scratches Superman, which gives Clark like some kind of radiation disease, and then he gets like very very weak and very very weak and then old again, a kind of imagery that we will see in the comics a lot of times with Superman, like you know, getting wilted and shrunken and like yeah, and so he gets very very old.
Speaker 1: But then he heals himself.
Speaker 3: He fights radiation Man on the moon and the daily planet building, and like a bunch of other stuff happens, and then finally Superman throws Nuclear Man into a nuclear reactor and the day is saved. He gives a big speech about hey, nuclear war, we can't let it happen, and then he flies off, and.
Speaker 5: I also like, guess what, Yeah, they literally call make it happen because you threw all the nukes into space, which I feel like is also going to have like a terrible impact.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean in its own way, like you break it, you bought it.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that wasn't good, but also like, let's just keep an eye on what's going on. And it must have been very very harrowing because when we come back to Superman and Superman Returns directed by uh Oh Bryan Singer uh Oh, starring Kevin Spacey and Brandon Rowld, who's wonderful.
Speaker 7: And lovely guy.
Speaker 3: Perfect Superman casting. I'm so sorry it was in this movie, but I love.
Speaker 7: That he was able to literal monsters.
Speaker 5: It was like, I am so glad he got to come back in the Hour of Us and kind of reclaim this kind of space.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just no, So whatever happened in Quest for Peace and that the fallout from that must have been extremely tiring, because we discovered that Superman just basically.
Speaker 1: Retired after a while.
Speaker 3: He's gone and has not been seen for five years because I guess he's just running around dealing with the fact that he destroyed everybody's nukes. Anyway, Lois now has a kid and a fiance. Say she married to a different guy, Lex.
Speaker 1: K Lex Lewis that crazy costing?
Speaker 3: We see Lex sadly Kevin Spacey. He steals crystals from the Fortress of Solitude to do something with Clark is back of the Daily Planet and he's looking kind of heartbroken and sad but basically just being Clark now. And he does become Superman again when Lex's experiments with the Fortress of Solitude crystals cause a massive power outage, which causes the plane which is carrying the Space Shuttle which is carrying Lois Lane with a test flight to crash, so Superman has to come back Shades of his first rescue of Lois Lane from nineteen seventy eighth. Superman in the helicopter, now in a plane which is Piggybaggy Space Shuttle, he saves her. It's actually like a very The Superman scenes in this are wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I save like he's.
Speaker 5: Sequence, everyone's happy, and then they kind of try and set up like a potential sequel with introducing the fact that like it's Lois and.
Speaker 7: Clock Son appearing.
Speaker 3: We discover along with Lex because when he pulls out this kryptonite it seems like it's affecting this child. We discover that supermana Lowess had a sun what what. So one of Lex's the big plans to kill Superman this time is he drops a mountain of kryptonite on him of like lab grown, like lab diamond grown, but kryptonite grown.
Speaker 1: Kryptonite on Superman. It's generally a mountain of.
Speaker 3: Kryptonite and it crushes him and he drops into the sea, but it has you know, gets pulls the kryptonite out of his shoulder that had pierced him, and he like gets some of his strengths back and then using like mud and earth like as a buffer, which I don't think this would be.
Speaker 1: I don't think this would whack.
Speaker 5: I think this was an illfow out chrystonite planic.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is what it works.
Speaker 3: Also, like it's Superman, you can just make up something cool, babe, like ye, like he's just like covering out with mad. He uses earth like a layer of earth is a buffer, and he lifts the mountain of kryptonite up into space once again, throwing his problems in the space.
Speaker 7: The Superman stop it, it's bad.
Speaker 3: He throws it out of the space, but the effort almost kills him. When he wakes up in the hospital, he finds that Lois is there with his son, and we are to assume, because we don't know what happens, that they.
Speaker 1: Are back together again.
Speaker 3: And it certainly seems like that from what happens with the husband and all that stuff we don't know.
Speaker 1: Fast forward too.
Speaker 3: Twenty Thirteen's imperfect, but at times I think pretty entertaining at least some of the action.
Speaker 1: I really.
Speaker 5: It look whatever, all the all the drama, all the feelings that people have about this. It is a totally different take on Superman. It's very much in the This is a man who'd already made a Watchmen movie.
Speaker 1: At this point.
Speaker 5: We know that he loves scrimm and gritty, he loves stark, and I do remember at the time there was a I was very excited, and I remember there was a great conversation kind of in the comic shop about like, Okay, well, we are living in a like a post nine to eleven world. We are living in a space where like there is a growing hatred and fear of people that are not deemed as being like from where you're from.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting to see Superman basically like treated as an alien. I remember that was like a big kind of thing people were interested to see.
Speaker 1: Obviously as well, Henry Carville.
Speaker 5: Looks like Superman, but English Superman very controversial because Superman is this Midwestern boy.
Speaker 1: You know. I thought he was wonderful and so ripped, and you know.
Speaker 3: He looks like a little kids perfect drawing up some absolutely and when you see him in the suit for the first time, you're like, oh, yeah, so starring Henry cavill Amy Adams as lois Michael Shrandon with a incredible score by Hans wonderful, crazy score. Hans is really in his bag when he's in the Night of Us. He absolutely really funny, incredible, wild themes that are just so good. We open on Krypton, and you know what's going on on kryptonop It is fucked, folks. It is falling apart. But Jorell rides like a dragonfly. Now, so that's really cool. And he's been trying to tell everybody, like, we.
Speaker 1: Got this problem. The Krypton is gonna fall apart.
Speaker 3: Nobody understands it but him, And we also get more of an idea of like political issues happen within Crypton. Yes, General Zod is part of like this very very like uh ultra conservative faction who wants to seize power in Krypton.
Speaker 1: But of course Krypton's falling apart.
Speaker 3: So Jorell, who I forgot to even mention Jorell keeping the legacy of like incredible cameos is Russell.
Speaker 7: Crowe is keeping that it's keeping it going.
Speaker 3: So Jorell, uh, you know, sends his son to space and kal El clarklands in Kansas. He's adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent. My mom's absolute favorite person in the world. Kevin Costner.
Speaker 7: Yes, mom loves Cabin cost.
Speaker 3: Loves I don't know if I have how much I've talked about this, but let me just tell people. My mother has been involved in a very intense one way crush with Kevin Costner since the eighties. She loves Kevin Costner watches Yellowstone. I was gonna say, yeah, absolutely Yellowstone. She told me about Yellowstone. I didn't know what it was and was very shattered when he decided to leave the show. Diane Lane, the Wonderful Diane Lane is Martha Kent. This is a star studed affair. So you know, Clark has his powers, but he's got to keep him secret. It's that whole thing. And then he basically decides, you know what, I'm just because these are it's gonna be hard to stay in one place with these powers.
Speaker 1: He just becomes.
Speaker 3: Like like Bruce Banner in The Hulk television show, kind of like a wandering strong guy doing heroic acts secretly, like particularly in the North regions up in Canada and stuff, saving men from oil dereks and all this kind of stuff. Lois Lane is sent to investigate the emergence of apparent aliens like on Earth. The Kryptonian Scoutship has entered Earth. Clark enters the ship disguised as a worker and he figures out, oh, this is where I'm from, and in fact, and that's my dad he's talking to me, and now i'm and that's a suit for me, and he puts it on, and he figures out his powers and he flies for the first time in a sequence that is actually really great, Like I think if you were just gonna pull superhero scenes, like best superhero scenes of the last whatever thirty years, I think Henry Cavill flying for the first time, Yeah, is pretty pretty pretty good. Unfortunately, Zod and his people arrive also on Earth, and they get the powers and they just start fucking wrecking shop.
Speaker 1: They're beating up like Mike.
Speaker 3: Just like so good too. He is just like the weirdest choice. I mean totally commits and I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: And he just starts like they just start wrecking shop all of it. They're just destroying shit, killing like army guys left and right, throwing tanks around, throwing helicopters around the entire US military cannot stop them, and they have this cannot stop to create to use this very very powerful like terraforming device and their ship to turn Krypton into turn Earth into new Krypton, which of course God will rule.
Speaker 1: This will of course destroy the Earth.
Speaker 3: And they turn it on and it starts destroying lots of stuff, and like Metropolis is falling apart, Superman flies into action. There's a incredible fight that absolutely detonates.
Speaker 1: A good portion of Metropolis.
Speaker 3: Rosie estimated casualties in this unbelievable, Like you're talking about like hundreds of thousands of people, and.
Speaker 5: Certainly it must be at least in the thousands when it comes to casualties.
Speaker 1: And this is a question.
Speaker 5: This is the I think, let's not say the problem, but this is one of the prices you have to pay.
Speaker 7: For doing a realistic, more grounded version.
Speaker 3: Is when you're in a city that clearly looks like a city that we recognize, that has real buildings and we know has we've as people who've lived through real crisises, you could you are thinking like, this is a lot of people who are dying at this point.
Speaker 7: So honestly, does.
Speaker 5: The controversial ending which we're about to talk about really matter if there's already been thousands of people killed as collateral damage.
Speaker 1: That's up to what you.
Speaker 7: Think about Superman and how he would deal with his issues.
Speaker 3: I think if you told me fifty thousand to eighty thousand dead in Metropolis, I believe it would that would make sense because multiple buildings pancake, there's a huge crater.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the city, like the city is Detroit, it's not gone.
Speaker 3: Well, no, so Superman before he faces Zod, he manages to get the rest of his army sent to the Phantom Zone. He arrives, he fights Zod. They end up in the train station where Zod is about to fry like innocent people with his heat beams, and so Clark snaps his neck.
Speaker 1: And this was.
Speaker 3: Very, very controversial. I agree that it's Also it's not how Superman would actually do it. Yes, I'm like, surely he could just send him to the Phantom Zone too. Yeah, I don't think he would do it like this. I also feel like real Superman would have taken Zod out into space or the moon or something to fight him there there.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: Actually also and in the comics, I believe he did kill Zod on the moon at one point.
Speaker 1: So pre crisis.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is one of those interesting things where I just deeply love the fact that people have so much faith and hope and like put so much of themselves into Superman that this was like really striking for them. But you know, it is like in comics, he definitely was killing people in the Golden Age, throwing people off roofs.
Speaker 3: He's killed Bizarro, he kills he kills three Kryptonians, yes, at least.
Speaker 5: One, and also like you know, he had to kill Doomsday, you know, but so it's not that shocking. But I think what is shocking is kind of seeing the moment that he breaks his neck in this like very brutal, very interpersonal way, and then he kind of has this scream and it really did it.
Speaker 7: It's a very phantom menace.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean Revenge of the sif Like, no, yeah, very interesting choice. And I think this is where you start to see the split between like those who believe Superman is this kind of hopeful symbol and those who are trying to watch like a grounded what would it really be like if he was here.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, and Superman saves the day and goes to work at the Daily Planet and as a war.
Speaker 2: We go to Batman v. Superman Dawn of Justice.
Speaker 1: David s.
Speaker 3: Goyer back on the script, picking up the reins that he had previously been holding for a Man of Steel.
Speaker 1: He's joined by Chris Terrio.
Speaker 3: Of course, Zack Snyder continues to be the director, and now we enter the as Like.
Speaker 7: Era but flock bats look so long.
Speaker 1: Story short. Lex Luthor.
Speaker 3: Manipulates Batman and Superman into hating each other and getting in a big fight. Batman has to make a suit in order to be able to deal because he's old.
Speaker 7: He's like twenty years old. This is the very long Night Ratuns.
Speaker 3: He has to be able to deal with Superman. Also Luthor again using Superman by Jesse Eisenbachi wonderfully played.
Speaker 1: I think by Jesse Isabers.
Speaker 7: I think he's channeling Gene Hackman. Yeah, Mark Zuckerbug, and I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna like So he creates a genetic monster from the body of Zod and also like his own body to you know, create this like threat, and Superman and Batman figure out that they've been pitted against each other, and they fitted out and they and they kind of bond over the fact that.
Speaker 6: This.
Speaker 5: I have to say, David Escoya, you've been on the podcast, come back on the podcast, because this is actually, I think one of the most genius connections agree nobody else. Like, we literally talk about this stuff every single day. At the time this movie came out, I was working at the cinema and literally we were talking about these movies, about comic books, everything, And somehow when Nay said Martha.
Speaker 1: What did you say that name?
Speaker 7: Some reason, I had never really clocked that both of their mums were called Martha. So, David Eskoya, good for you.
Speaker 3: Like, this is a hilarious, hilarious scene, but also like an incredible little subtle thing that for some reason, we never talked about. I did the same thing watching this movie. I'm like, this is a bad movie. Whatever, I'm gonna enjoy it. But when the Marsa thing happened, I was like, Oh, that's good.
Speaker 7: How is he that score?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 7: How did we never work that before? But it is hilarious. Would you say that name?
Speaker 5: Also, my other favorite bit in this movie, which comes from the kind of DC, was very much trying to make their own MCU. At this point, they're trying to branch out. So one of my favorite moments is when you know, Wonder Woman arrives and you get that great junkie xel hans Zima score dinner. It's like she's like a rock star something. But Batman like does the secret mission and basically just like steals like a USB drive that has YouTube videos on it, and he's like watching YouTube videos.
Speaker 7: He's like the Flash YouTube video, the da Coman YouTube video. And I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: But good for you, guys.
Speaker 7: I love this.
Speaker 1: This is crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh god, and I should we should note that twenty sixteen's Captain America Civil War kind of rips off the Martha thing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's actually a good point.
Speaker 3: Controversial we've got let's just acknowledge it and listen.
Speaker 1: The history of these.
Speaker 3: Two franchises constantly, Yes, these ip generating machines, they're always ripping each other of Oh.
Speaker 7: Baby, it is kind of the same.
Speaker 1: Plot turn for the Island of.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 7: But yes, Luther's plan is happening.
Speaker 5: His plan was doomsday, which if you read the comics you probably saw that coming.
Speaker 3: Diana shows up, they fight, the Doomsday, they beat it and Superman dies.
Speaker 1: Oh no, how can it happen?
Speaker 7: How could happen?
Speaker 5: But don't worry, because there's a post credit s dun dun dud d And you start to hear a little.
Speaker 7: And you realize, actually, Superman's just chilling, and that coffin he's just and yeah.
Speaker 1: So here we go.
Speaker 3: It's set Snyder's fucking Justice.
Speaker 5: League twenty seventeen and twenty twenty one. There was four years in between that we had to deal with all of that, and it's happening. Directed Justice League twenty seventeen, director by Jack Snyder and Joss Whedon.
Speaker 3: Let's not forget. They put him in, they pour him in, and the people didn't like it. Tout sprinkle some of that magic mcu dust on our It didn't work on our DC verse, it didn't quite work. Superman is dead, Earth's vulnerable. Batman puts together the Justice League.
Speaker 5: Incredible Jason Momoa sequence where he came out of the water and Nim.
Speaker 7: And Bruce are like bad Eye. Also, I just want to say something.
Speaker 5: I don't think I think we've talked about this before. I don't think this is particularly controversial. Obviously, I'm not a surprised twist here. I'm not talking about Corman. We know how much I love about Corman. But actually, when I go back and watch these movies, which I have to do a lot with this kind of you know pudding, I think Ben Affleck is actually really good at being Batman. I like this old Batman, but I wish that it's a different space. This is one of those movies where Batman is killing so many people, Like, he is killing so many people.
Speaker 3: He's got guns on the Batman bile, He's shooting up that's he's killing everyone. It seemed to me at the time like heavily influenced by the Arkham interpretation interpret interpretation of Batman, in which I mean Batman is absolutely breaking people people, fracturing skulls and like driving people off buildings. Yeah, so like it's that level of of Batman. Anyway, So Steppenwolf has a mother Box and that's really bad, and so the the the Nascent Justice League, Diana Cyborg, Batman, Barry Allen are like, well, there's we're good, but like without Superman, what are we gonna do? So we got to resurrect him. So they resurrect Clark, but he's like, doesn't remember anything about what is He's basically just like he's like a baby who's got Superman Palace, which is very dangerous, very very dangerous. But listen, finally they all get together. That's I mean basically that what happens is, uh, they all get together, Clark remembers who he is, they fight Steppenwolf, and they win. Let's eventually escapes, and that's meant to set up the you know, the upcoming Justice League movies, along with a little cameo in the Injustice League, you know, trying to do that. But oh yes, as the Jared Joker is in there somehow given job like the stuff, they get a little Martian Manhunter a cameo.
Speaker 2: But ultimately, uh, we've.
Speaker 7: This twenty twenty one, it's done.
Speaker 5: It exists, it's out there. You can watch that, you can watch both versions of it. And now four years later, we're entering into this new universe of gods and monsters with.
Speaker 7: James Gunn Superman. Okay, Jason, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 5: Is there something you want to see in a James gun in James Gunn Superman movie that you have never.
Speaker 7: Seen in any of these other movies.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen, we're getting Crypto. That's what I was gonna say. I want to see that side. I want to see the cute side, the wild side, the crypt And yeah, I love Crypto. I think that's a great call.
Speaker 5: I want to see that love between Superman and his family and the people he chooses to be in his family, the dog and I agree.
Speaker 1: And the comic version.
Speaker 3: Listen, the Fortress of Solitude was always very in the Donner movies. It's there's nothing in there. There's like no furniti anything, there's.
Speaker 1: No Hall of Trophy.
Speaker 7: It's not cozy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's none of the stuff like in the comics. You go in there and it's like a playland. You know, it's Superman's back, It's Superman's batcave. Yeah, there's this shrunken city in a bottle. There's all the trophies, there's like you know, like all his uh androids and stuff. There's so much stuff in there.
Speaker 1: His lab is like research lab.
Speaker 3: And so I'm really eager, and I know we're going to go in there and see some of that, So I'm really eager to see that.
Speaker 1: I think that what about you do you have any particularly like, you know, what I want to see.
Speaker 5: I want to see uh Lois and Clark with that chemistry. I feel like we haven't gone that for a long time, where there's that real like here at two people, the immovable Object and the unstoppable Force, you know, coming together.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to see Jimmy Olsen. I'm excited to see more in the Daily Planet, which is something we haven't really gotten a lot since the original Donna movies. We did get a little bit of that, and I will say something that they got right about Lois in the Snyder stuff is like.
Speaker 1: She's un him.
Speaker 5: She's going to the craziest, most deadly places because she knows Superman will show up. I just want to see a loving, hopeful Superman. I want to be back in that more positive world. I want to see these crazy kind of characters and adventures. So I'm just really excited. Four years is not a long time between Superman movies, as you can see from like, you know, two thousand and six is like almost you know, twenty years after the last Donna movie, and then two thousand and six to twenty thirteen. This is one of the shorter amounts of time between these kind of new, different iterations. But I feel like in that four years, so much happened, the world change.
Speaker 1: We're all still living through it.
Speaker 5: So I'm excited to see this kind of new, hopefully kind of positive Superman that we can hold on too. I also, I just think that David quarant So it's like such good Superman class thing.
Speaker 1: He's giving me great, it's giving pure clock.
Speaker 7: So I'm just excited to see.
Speaker 5: I also want to know how James Gunn is going to solve the glasses issue, because he said he's gonna solve it.
Speaker 7: He said it's gonna happen. What's he gonna pull from?
Speaker 3: Is it gonna be controversial? Is it not the people other than me even care. I don't know, but I'm excited. And it's so close now. I mean, we're like three days away from the end of June and then boom, July eleventh, that's when we get Superman.
Speaker 1: We will be of course covering Superman.
Speaker 3: With our reactions and getting you ready to watch it, and Rosie's gonna be having giving you some omnibi to get us ready for that.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision, We're.
Speaker 2: Diving into the finale, the Strong Finale.
Speaker 7: The very Strong Finale.
Speaker 1: Iron Heart. That's it for this episode. Next We'll.
Speaker 3: Ii x ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 5: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 5: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay wag.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 5: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.