Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. And today we are going to be discussing a cult classic, the nineteen sixty five let's see, what would you call it? The Go Go murder exploitation film Faster Pussycat Kill Kill. I think I'm to understand a favorite of many filmmakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially a filmmaker John Waters. He is the ultimate champion of this film. And I'm going to be touching in on his thoughts regarding this film several times, especially in the run up to the plot here. But yeah, this is a very well known cult classic film. And as we are approaching the Halloween season here, Joe, when I had this discussion, like, well, maybe we should we should have avoid doing horror movies until we get either to October itself or right to the edge of October, so as to enhance the punch of all that horror. So last week we did The Man Who Fell to Earth science fiction drama, and this week, yeah, it is basically a crime yarn, a sixties go go dancer desert crime movie.
Speaker 3: What brought you to this pic, rub, you know, I don't remember specifically.
Speaker 2: It's one of those that I've always been aware of, just because it does have a its B cinema cult following footprint firmly. It was more of a bootprint firmly implanet, you know, in the face of the American public. So I've always been vaguely aware of it, and I've heard samples from it, seen some stills from it, but I've never watched it in its entirety. And yeah, I think I was just I did a quick brainstorm. It's like, what's something that doesn't have horror, What's something even further doesn't have a speculative element at all that would still fit the profile for weird house cinema. And I was like, oh, well, it's got to be faster. Pussycat Kill Kill.
Speaker 3: I had never seen this movie before a couple of days ago, and I was very impressed by it in multiple respects. But one of the ways it impressed me was how entertaining it is for a B movie. Now, we love B movies, but a common problem with a lot of B movies is that they they often have dull stretches. Not all but a lot. You often get the sense that, like, you know, a B movie director is trying to like work up to the monster scene and that's really what they're excited about, and they're like, Okay, before we do that, we got to have like a love scene here. We gotta have like a character explaining how the monster was made to kind of dry, you know, a scientist explaining the origin of the monster whatever. And these scenes feel kind of perfunctory. It's just like they're even the director is not very excited about them. They're just trying to get through them to show you the stuff that's that you're really here for. This film was made with the idea, yeah, clearly that every moment should be thrilling and entertaining in some way, even when it's just kind of routine plot execution or just exposition that's setting up later scenes. The script is written in such a way that, like every line a character says is weird in a way that makes the scene entertaining. Like I think the sensibility that russ Meyer and from what I've read, russ Meyer to a great extent credits one of the main cast members Tasatana as also being a sort of a truth not just a member of the cast, but a true like creative influence behind like the movie and its style. Whoever's responsible for the dialogue in each scene knew that it is more important to be entertaining than to be realistic. And I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think this is a strong point. I mean, you even see it in the title, Like the title is faster pussy Cat Kill Kill, And I've read that, like the whole take on this is that like you have, you know, a hint of sex in the title, you have speed, you know, racing in the title, and you have murder and death in the title. And it doesn't actually make all that much sense as a statement or a title. Like John Waters, when we're in writing about the film, often refers to the gang of three here as the Pussycats. I don't think they ever refer to themselves as such, but you know, fair enough, I guess, but you do have to sort of twist the title to make it work in a literal sense. Now, as we'll discuss, this is certainly a film produced through the male gaze. It's about go go dancers starring go go dancers, or at least two of them, and while it's not as provocative as you might expect by modern standards. I mean, this is a mid nineteen sixties movie that was shown at the drive in. You know, it's still clearly intended to titillate, but it's also action packed. And it's especially interesting to read various reviews that talk about it's kind of dual nature because at the time of its release, Yeah, a lot of people saw it as just a sexist B movie, and a lot of people didn't like it to understand, it didn't actually perform all that well, but it was later embraced as this kind of iconic counterculture film with a grandiose vision of female power to match the grandiose visions of masculine power found just everywhere else in cinema. So this is this film that has been very influential. It was a major inspiration for Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof from two thousand and seven, and both Tarantino and more recently actor Norman Retis have expressed an interest in remaking it in one form or another. I think you can ask a lot of questions about what form a remake of Faster Pussycat Kill Kill would take. In the twenty first century, but you know, maybe they have a particular vision or visions in mind.
Speaker 3: I was actually thinking, without knowing that, I was thinking about Quentin Tarantino when I thought about modern filmmakers who had clearly been inspired by this movie. I can see direct lines of influence going from this movie to Yes to Death proove his half of the release that was originally called Grind Grindhouse.
Speaker 2: Is that what it was called, Yes Grindhouse.
Speaker 3: But then also to the kill Bill series that there is some strong shared material there. Of course, I knew about the John Waters connection, and we can talk some more about some things that come through in John Waters films as well that that seemed to be inspired by this movie. But coming back to your comment about Norman read Us, I have to lodge a complaint that is not about this movie, but about how Google search results are.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: We were just recently talking about how, for some reason it seems like Google search results are just getting worse and worse. I think I don't know exactly the reason for this, but I would suspect it has to do with just like the Web is getting worse and worse, more packed with junk, and you know, search engine gaming AI generated content and garbage. So the other day, when I just googled this movie, Faster Pussycat Kill Kill the top result, What do you think it should be? An image of the poster of the movie, an image of the cast of the movie, or a promo still from it. No, it's a picture of Norman riatas oh Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love Norman Reada's a very fun actor, have been in a lot of things I love. But come on, now, coming back to John Waters, I did pick up his book Shock Value where he talked He talked about a lot of things in that book, but he does specifically talk a little bit about Faster pussy Cat Kill Kill. He writes that this film, russ Meyer's tenth film quote is beyond a doubt, the best movie ever made. It is possibly better than any film that will be made in the future.
Speaker 3: Don't try to argue with him. You don't want to get pulled into this. He's had more practice having this conversation than you have.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean, yeah, Like I said, he's the ultimate champion of this film, and I think the ultimate expert on it. He has meditated on this movie more than any other person. In this book, he goes on to talk about how initially he was drawn in by the radio ads during the film's initial release. They promised that the movie would leave a taste of evil in your mouth, and then he went and saw it, and he fell in love the picture and ended up seeing it every night at the local drive in, often alone, for the remainder of its run there. So he cites this movie as the primary influence on all of his characters in all of his films.
Speaker 3: I can absolutely see that in many ways, and I think he so. In one sense. You can see the similarity in the way that John Waters movies, I think often go for that feeling of trying to make every single moment interesting and entertaining rather than going for realism obviously, and so it's like more important that a character say something that is shocking or funny or entertaining in some way than that they like strictly stay in character or I don't know, do something that would be realistic. But another big similarity I see is this may be a weird thing to single out, but I think you'll have to agree with me, is in a very strange and idiosyncratic style of line delivery that is characteristic of this movie, like especially Taurusitana, but also the character Billy. They have this way of saying lines where they're almost not really acting them. They are just like shouting their lines, like just spitting them out with this forceful, venomous, high octane delivery for every line, just the same every time. And that comes through in a lot of performances in John Waters movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this this feeling, especially in this movie, that it often feel any given scene will often feel like a pro wrestling promo, you know, it has that kind of energy. It maybe one note, but that note is played super loud and there's no missing it and it delivers. There's something about that character very loudly.
Speaker 3: Like I'm specifically thinking of a lot of divines. Line delivery and pink flamingos feels like Varla's line delivery in this movie. Yeah, yeah, I think there's a direct connection there. So we'll keep coming back to some Waters quotes because again I think he's the authority on all these all things faster, pussy, get, kill, Kill. But as we normally we'd touch in the elevator pitch, I'm just going to read you how John Waters describes this movie as a quote violent gothic melodrama built around three bisexual, psychotic go go girls, Varla, Billy, and Rosie. There's an interesting angle that the movie approaches you with, and I wonder what you think about this, rob It almost feels like it's trying to imply that this movie is connected to current events, and those current events, which you must have seen in the news, are that now everyday women are are like breaking men's necks in the desert. It's just something that's happening in this crazy world we live in today, and this is a movie about that phenomenon. But I don't think that there really was a phenomenon to base this on.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it's exploiting a little bit this idea that they actually you call out in some dialogue in the film, or it's like women or they're doing all these things now that they didn't used to do. In one of those things is perpetrating violent crimes in the desert. You've come a long way, baby.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure it happens sometimes, but I don't get the feeling that this was like there was a sudden spike in the sixties of women just doing assassinations related to auto racing.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean obviously, Yeah, women have always engaged in murder and violence just as men have. I mean, we have tales in the Old Testament and various myths and legends and so forth. There are plenty of there have been plenty of varlas throughout history. All right, let's go ahead and listen to the trailer audio for a faster pussycat kill kill.
Speaker 4: If you want, ladies and gentlemen, gold gold for a wild wild ride with the watusie cats. But beware, the sweetest kittens have the sharpest claw or your own safety. See Faster pussy Cats Kill kill, wild women, wild wheels, Race the fastest pussy cats and they'll be Jill, not dead, sober woman, faulted, wild and FOTD.
Speaker 3: You're plating yourself on this kid, then hanging itself for nothing.
Speaker 1: For nothing, got nothing to do with the money jeers.
Speaker 4: The money Jack and Jill. They make them Moffia look like Brownie must have all. Yeah, ten percent of your action be enough for anyone, too much for one man to handle. And again you never can town. You girls a bunch of newdists. You just uh short of clothes right now, You're first on my list, and I always got top. You'll only go one chill and your channel's busy tune in and outside. You really shippy, am benefm?
Speaker 2: So who do I get to take care of the muscle man?
Speaker 4: You got two of everything and some left over?
Speaker 2: You did one?
Speaker 1: You want a big crust or side darling?
Speaker 4: Why did you take one of each? Son? A? Uh, both look tender. He's got a big motor to feed.
Speaker 3: But did you you did?
Speaker 2: My mother never wrote shot baby rock would.
Speaker 4: Be rough the last time.
Speaker 2: All right, here's how it works.
Speaker 4: Everybody's gotta go your name it. We've got faster pussy hats, kills, delivers tone board on the opposition on ladylike karate chops, ungentlemanly haymaker, spirited gymnastics, corrective table attic sandbox jousting, or a muscle bound chat wrestling with a roaring sports car that's intent upon squashing him like a grape bazaar kidney and chessie rattling chases and for the first time on the screen, a hay making, belly busting, karate chopping, judo flipping fight. Go in them all, sober woman against man, the prize life itself slashing, tackling, gouging, hacking, clipping, felting, smashing, and muscle to muscle, bone to bowl or an incredible evenings entertainment. A film so totally satisfying see Russ Meyer Faster, pussy Cat Kill.
Speaker 2: Chill See really sells it. You can you can imagine being the young John Waters hearing that or some version of that trailer for the first time. All right, as for availability on this one, I do wish it was easier to get a copy of it or to have an official stream of the movie. It doesn't seem to be widely available on disc right now, and I couldn't find an official stream video Drum has a copy of it here in Atlanta. But yeah, I've given this film's cult status. Would I would want it to be more available than it is. But if you look hard enough, I think you can probably find it somewhere. So if you need a break and go see this movie, you know, come back. We're going to talk about the cast and some of the filmmakers, and then from there we're going to get into a more spoilery discussion of the plot. All right, Well, let's start, yeah at the top, with the director, the producer of the editor. He also is a story credit. It's Russ Meyer, who lived nineteen twenty two through two thousand and four, American exploitation director known for camp, be sex ploit tis films from the nineteen fifties through the nineteen eighties, with a couple of brief returns after that. He directed the nineteen seventy film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, the only film that film critic Roger Ebert ever wrote.
Speaker 3: I think that movie was also not super well received when it came out, but I've heard people kind of appreciate it now. It's also allegedly just wild. The moment to moment weirdness quotient is apparently quite high.
Speaker 2: So Meyer's film immediately prior to Faster Pussycat was nineteen sixty five's Motor Psycho same year, same release year, about a violent gang of male bikers, so he essentially flipped the script on that for this movie, focusing on female characters instead. His films are often categorized as being very technically proficient, ludicrous in their dialogue, campy, and often using leering, low angle shots, but those low angle shots often do create this sense of weird kind of almost like mythic tension, like it makes it makes the characters in the film feel larger than life. I mean not just their physical bodies, but like their their sort of hero or villain status.
Speaker 3: I would say that russ Meyer's style is very much in that category of schlock, but not hack. Somebody who is creating what is supposed to be you know, yeah, lowbrow exploitation cinema, but who actually is bringing quite a bit of style and in a weird way you could almost say say taste to the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I say, never a dull moment. If nothing else, you're just wondering what are these characters going to say next, And at any moment someone might get like slapped in the face as well. Again, John Waters idolized russ Meyer, called him quote the good old boy of exploitation films, and in Waters' view on things, quote exploitation films are the only ones that come close to that dreaded word art.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting idea. I almost feel like I've heard John Waters talk about this in some other context, that there's almost kind of a like a horseshoe theory of taste, where for some reason, a lot of people who seem to have some of the highest tolerance for I don't know, avant garde art and you know, the like the I don't know what you call it, the kind of fine art that really asks you to be open minded and go outside of your comfort zone. For some reason, are also often people who are into very low brow B movie type stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's sort of you know, putting yourself in a place of open minded vulnerability where art can potentially hurt you. But like it's it's what does it make me feel? It's creating feelings and then I'm supposed to make sense of those feelings. Yeah, it's not unlike the place you have to put yourself in with various exploitation films, though to be sure, not all exploitation films are created equal and in many different ways. All right, Moving on to the screenplay itself, written by Jackie Moran, who lived nineteen twenty three through nineteen ninety. As a writer, he only worked on a handful of produced screenplays, all russ Meyer pictures, but as an actor, his credits go back to Believe the mid nineteen thirties. As a child and youth actor appeared in various old serials such as Buck Rogers, as well as a nineteen thirty eight adaptation of the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Oh and he was also in a nineteen thirty nine film called Gone with the Wind.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned that a lot of what makes this movie unique is the high grit of the script, you know, like the way that each line just kind of like grips you and rubs your brain. And I don't know exactly where to put the credit for this. It should should we be thinking about this as like a feature of Jackie Moran's screenplay, or since this seems to be, from what I've read, a characteristic of Russ Meyer films, is this something that's coming more from Meyer's influence? But then again, as I said, also, I've read that that tourist Satana is usually given credit for shaping a lot of the tone and style of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you probably want to side with Varlain this one, because otherwise she's gonna chop you and Kidney. So I mean, it does seem like a lot of those lines are coming from the heart. So yeah, I don't have a lot of clarity on this, but I kind of have the suspicion that the screenplay was one place, and then maybe the actors and or the director on the set kind of like punch things in a different direction.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, let's talk about Toura Satana, not Santana, as I sometimes keep mispronouncing it. This is this is her show name. Lean into the sort of evil nature of her persona. So Satana lived nineteen thirty eight through twenty eleven, and yeah, this she plays the leader of our gang of three of violence loving fem fatale, criminal, mastermind, and goth queen of the Desert. Satana was born Tura Yamaguchi. She was a Japanese American exotic dancer and burlesque performer turned actor. She started out in the early sixties with bit parts for TV and film, including the TV series hawaiian I and The Man from Uncle. Then came this film, followed by an uncredited role as a dancer on sixty six is Our Man Flint, and then the role of Satana, essentially playing herself to some degree in the nineteen sixty eight low budget sci fi horror film The Astro Zombies starring Wendell Corey and John Keradine.
Speaker 3: That's a movie I have seen and remember almost nothing about, which is a feature of most films I've seen starring John Keradine.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you know, Peep busted. He's in a lot of films, but he's in a lot of forgivable films, It's true. Astro Zombies is definitely one of those. It's a classic B movie in many ways. It has this super cool mask, very cool poster, but as I remember it, a very plotting pace. I believe Satana plays the Mad Doctor's evil hinch woman, but I cannot remember a thing that anyone does in this aside from you do get some creeping astro zombies from time to time.
Speaker 3: That was a Ted V. Michels movie, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: I think so? So After this, she was in seventy three Is the Doll Squad, a kind of Charlie's Angels inspired romp. She left acting after that, but emerged again in the two thousands, appearing in two thousand and fours, Mark of the Astro Zombies, two thousand and nine, Sugar Box Rob Zombies, The Haunted World of l Superbisto, and Astro Zombies M three cloned in twenty ten. I mean, what can you say though, she's a force of nature in this movie, alluring intended, but also just believably mean and above all cool, Like she's she's so cool that even though she is and a lot of people have pointed this out, like she is arguably the villain or one of the two main villains in the picture, but at the same time, you're rooting for the whole time, or I was. It's like, even if she's engaging and kidnapping and mass murder, I'm kind of on team Varla the whole way. And Yeah, it's just an amazing performance and you can't look away, you can't stop listening. What is she going to say next? Who is she going to hit next?
Speaker 3: I love how she's just automatically immediately rude to everyone.
Speaker 2: Yes she is. She's rude and cutting to everyone. No one is safe, and it's just one step away from murder at all times.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm pretty sure in all her fight and action scenes, we're not looking at a stunt double, are we.
Speaker 2: No. No, I believe she did all her own stunts, And to understand, she also did her own fight choreography. So when we see her beaten up various folks and throwing them to the ground and chopping them like she she brought the technique.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think of another movie. I know there are movies like this. I can't call examples to mind right now of a movie where really, essentially the main character is also the main villain and you're just you're basically on their side and seeing the world through their eyes, even though they are in a technical sense, the bad guy that must be defeated at the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what we discussed talking about Riddick, there's there's always this temptation to to have this sort of redemption arc to your your antihero, and that is not what goes on here. Yeah. You know, you might be fooled into thinking that's where it's going at some point, but it's not.
Speaker 3: She does not get a heart. She is not a go go dancer assassin with a heart of gold. She has a heart of a drain cleaner. I would say, a heart of the most caustic, toxic substance. Maybe you could say she has a heart of raid on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So she's the leader of our trio of go go witches here, our gang of three. Up next is the character Rosie played by the actor Hodgi. Hodgi is her screen name and based on her New York Times oh bit from twenty thirteen. This was a nickname that her uncle gave to her. So she was born Barbarella Katon in nineteen forty six. So Canadian American dancer turned actor. She also appeared in Motorcyco. She also pops up and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. She was in nineteen seventies Bigfoot starring John Carradine once more Christopher Mitcham as well. She was also She also pops up. It's kind of in the background in some bigger films, like she's in John Cassavetti's The Killing of a Chinese Bookie from seventy six starring Ben Gazzara. It's like a bit roll as a dancer. She also pops up in the nineteen eighty one horror film Demonoid starring Samantha Agger. I've seen part of this. This is like set in Mexico and has some sort of a demonic disembodied hand.
Speaker 3: Oh demonic hand movie, you know what. We've mentioned so many of those in passing in episodes since we did The Beast with Five Fingers and Mad Love. I wonder if we should just do a whole like Hand Monster series.
Speaker 2: We easily could. Yeah, there are a number of of I mean a number of them are based on the Hands of Warlock and part of that direct tradition. But then, yeah, you have other films like the Michael Kane filmed The Hand and so forth.
Speaker 3: Was that the one directed by Oliver Stone?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah, Oliver Stone directed that one.
Speaker 3: Where you find out that the CIA was actually behind the Hand all along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a rare you know, it's from that period of time when he almost directed a Cone in the Barbarian movie. All Right, So the character Rosy in this different, different style, different presentation, she is she doesn't really have time for any of the app that's going on in this movie. She isn't necessarily down with all of Varla's violence, but she is devoted to Varla. Nonetheless. Hodgy's performance is I would say, richly entertaining. At times, it seems like maybe the greenest she has this. I think she's doing an Italian accent in this. I'm not entirely sure.
Speaker 3: I interpreted it as an Italian accent, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, waters and shot in the in the book, I referenced earlier, says quote, She's a mean Mexican with a weakness for switchblades who emphasizes her many moments of disgust by spitting or picking her teeth with whatever is handy.
Speaker 3: Yes, she she is the most disgusted of our three anti heroes.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is her. That is her one note played loudly discussed, but also occasionally a little bit like. She's the only one of the three that also shows like a little bit of empathy or even remorse at times. So in a weird way, she has more her role has more range.
Speaker 3: I agree, she's the only one of the three that seems to have any hint of a soul or kindness at all. And it's not much of a hint, but there's a little spark in there somewhere. She is often set against the third of the gang, Billy. They're kind of butting heads a lot of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Billy is played by Laurie Williams born nineteen forty six. He's our blonde, sassy, provocative, wise cracking, sensation junkie. He's just always down for a swim or some just extracurricular dancing, fighting, a little racing, you know whatever, whatever, She's up for anything. She's also ridiculously laugh out loud seductive in a manner that reminds me of Gina Moroney from thirty Rock. So many moments where she's being sexy and it's just hysterical.
Speaker 3: She just like sees a man with muscles fifty feet away and it's like.
Speaker 2: Hey, hot stuff, yeah, exactly now. Williams was not a go go dancer, but was a beach party film actor for the most part. Her other credits include mostly dancer roles, but in some notable films, including nineteen sixty three's The Prize starring Paul Newman, the Elvis movies Viva Las Vegas and Kissing Cousins in sixty four, as well as the Elvis movies Girl Happy and Tickle Me, both in sixty five, So multiple Elvis movies here. She's an arman Flint in sixty six. She has a passenger role as an extra in nineteen seventy two is The Poseidon Adventure, and an uncredited victim role in nineteen seventy fours, ninety nine and forty four Out of One hundred Percent Dead, directed by John Frankenheimer and starring Richard Harris Waters in Shock Value says, quote, Billy is the film of the group, the main things on her mind being sex and alcohol. In her white short shorts, haltertop, and knee high patent leather go go boots, Billy is forever breaking into torrid go go steps whenever trouble arises.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they're professional go go dancers, but Billy likes to go go dance when they're off the clock, and her gang, her fellow gang members will say, you know, hey, why are you doing that? You know that's we left that behind at work, and she's like, I do what I want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, she does. In a way like she's the perfect opposite but equal of Varla because they both do whatever they want. They have their own compass, but the things they want to do are drastically different.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we've got our vicious, murdering gang of go go dancers. We got to have some innocent people in here to be victimized by them, right.
Speaker 2: That's right, and so that the main victim being Linda, played by Subernard who lived nineteen forty eight through twenty nineteen. She plays likable American every girl and the gang of three are of course not impressed with her here, but Bernard has the interesting history. She was the daughter of legendary glamour and pin up photographer Bruno Bernard. She was an author, actress, model, and businesswoman. She was a playboy model in nineteen sixty six. This was her first film role, followed by a couple of notable films. I guess nineteen sixty nine is the witch Maker in nineteen seventy two's Necromancy. A noteworthy family connection is that at one point she was married to actor and playwright Jason Miller, who, of course is famous for having played Father Damien in The Exorcist. Ah, yes, father kais Yeah, and their son is was actor Joshua John Miller born nineteen seventy two. He has a number of interesting credits, but his first film role as a child actor was playing the hero's son Willie in Halloween three Season of the Witch.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, how many degrees of separation is that from Halloween three to Faster pussy Cat? I guess it involves a family connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a family connection. So it's harder, but it's it's close enough. It's in close orbit.
Speaker 3: I'm just imagining a film that could have been like the Go Go Murder Gang here versus Tom Atkins from Halloween three. Doesn't doesn't he seem like the perfect victim of their treachery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see him taking a beating from this bunch. Now, speaking of taking a beating, the character Linda has a boyfriend named Tommy, and Tommy is one of, if not the only likable male characters in the whole picture. Withst caveats will come back to that. He's a kind of square and nice guy who just wants to work on his car, improve his race time, and spend spend a little quality time with his girlfriend Linda. He doesn't, you know, leer at any of the women or speak to them in a sexist manner, and you might think this means, well, this might be the hero of our picture, but he's certainly not. No.
Speaker 3: No, he's a nice guy, which means he's marked for death.
Speaker 2: Mark for death. We'll get to that death in a bit because it's pretty spectacular. Played by Ray Barlow. I don't think any dates are known for this actor. This was one of only four credits for him, alongside nineteen sixty seven's a Countess from Hong Kong and the nineteen seventy one TV series The Goodies. Oh and also a single episode of Highway to Heaven from the late eighties. All right, now we do have another sort of villainous trio to cancel out our main villainous trio. But these are This is a male villainous trio of a family they encounter in the desert, the leader of which is the Old Man played by Stuart Lancaster, who lived nineteen twenty through the year two thousand, American actor with credits going back to the early sixties. He appears in the original Outer Limits episode Tourist Attraction, but he's mostly known for appearing in Russ Meyer films and various other exploitation titles. However, you can also find him in such films as nineteen seventy three's God Monster of Indian Flats and Tim Burton cast him in two films. He plays a retired man in Edward Scissorhands, and he plays the Penguin's doctor and Batman returns what oh not a role I remember, but you know I can. You can see the kind of thing Tim Burton was going for. And that weird, weird Batman sequel Batman returns.
Speaker 3: Does we could do Batman returns on Weird House Cinema? I think does Penguin go for a check op in there? I really don't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember when this would be, if this would be like a flashback to when he's a baby, like maybe that's the penguin's doctor, or maybe it's some time later, because there's that whole yet intro to the character that involves who isn't that who plays his father? Pee wee Herman plays his father? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd forgotten that too. Well. So anyway, this character of the Old Man, it's playing on the principle that we talked about just recently with like a danger diabolic in a movie where you have an anti hero, though I don't know if you call Varla an anti hero, just where you're like, main character is bad, it always helps to up the ante by having to meet a character who is much worse.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, yeah, our.
Speaker 3: Main characters character or characters are bad and they do murder. But what if there's a somebody who also wants to do murder but is even grosser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's the Old Man. As we'll discuss, he's pretty villainous. He lives in the desert with two of his sons, one of which but I forget if he even has a name aside from the vegetable he's They call him this because he's a doesn't say much, but he's a big muscle guy. And then the other son, the elder of the two sons, is Kirk, played by Paul Trinka, who lived nineteen thirty two through nineteen seventy three. Mostly a bit player on TV, this is his most well known role. He also appeared on Hawaii and I My Three Sons, Gomer Pyle USMC, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, and an episode of Night Gallery. Now we also hear a little bit from the narrator. We'll touch on that in a second. The narrator for this film is John Furlong, who lived nineteen thirty three through two thousand and eight American actor who I believe got his start in Russ Meyer films and worked for him several times, you know, often being dubbing the director's voice or being this narration voice. He ultimately accumulated a lot of TV and film credits over the course of his career, having appeared in the likes of nineteen seventy four's Blazing Saddles, ninety four's Wiatter, and nineteen ninety eight Vampires, the John Carpenter film, along with many others. And as for the music on this one, I'm not going to go into a lot of depth here, but Ego Kantor was the music director who lived nineteen thirty through twenty nineteen. Interesting fella in a name that weird cinema fans may have noticed in the credits before, you know, sometimes kind of stands out. It worked a lot doing the music for various films, but also was a producer as far back as nineteen seventy one and such films as Kingdom of the Spiders, nineteen seventy nine Is the Dark and nineteen eighty fours Mutant starring Wingshauser and Bo Hopkins.
Speaker 3: We could come back and do Kingdom of the Spiders as well, because that is a killer tarantula movie starring Captain Kirk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also a reference to a Warren Zyvon Warren Yvon song. Rather so, I always like a nice musical nod to be cinema. All right, shall we get into the plot.
Speaker 3: Yes, now, I think this is another movie where we're not going to recount every scene in order. I think instead, maybe we'll talk about the intro in some detail, maybe you know, the first chunk of the movie, and then do a basic recap on everything else and then focus on some things that stand out. But first thing, this movie begins with a narration and has one of the all time great opening lines I've heard in any film.
Speaker 2: Yes we hear that, rich Veld. The narrator's voice say, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to violence.
Speaker 3: To violence. It goes on to say the word and the act. While Violence cloaks itself in a plethora of disguises, its favorite mentals still remains sex. Huh. Okay, So the opening narration here, It goes on for a while, and there's while this guy's talking is just sort of a black screen with these lines that are undulating as if showing like a like an audiogram or something. You know, they're they're vibrating with the sound of the narrator's voice. And the narrator goes on to explain in a rather wordy and roundabout manner that America's most trusted brand, violence is still in business, but it is under new management. Women. The narrator says, you know, you guys out there, you might think women are beautiful, you might think women are nice, but also they will cut your head off with a power saw. The women of today they murder all the time.
Speaker 2: That's right. Women are more dangerous than they've ever been in human history. This is a new breed of violence out.
Speaker 3: There, alrighty. And so the narration ends with him saying who are they? One might be your secretary, your doctor's receptionist, or a dancer in a go go club. Smash cut to a go go club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is where we get our first look at our trio of evil go go dancers here all black and white sequins and tassels. Yeah, we had to mention it already. This is a black and white film and looks pretty gorgeous, and we have the theme song playing in the background, but also we have do we keep cutting to these brutish men who were chanting at them? They're chanting go go And I was wondering, like, I didn't even look this up though. Is this the origin of the term go go dancer? It's just you're supposed to yell go and shout go at them.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. But also this scene is so funny because of the lack of humor or enjoyment evident in the men who are shouting at the go go dancers. Just I have to applaud the deadly seriousness with which the dudes are shouting, go, let's go, come on go. They sound like Hollywood cowboys yelling at their horses. And they're puffing on cigars by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, watching this, especially from a modern perspective, you can't help but assume that the message here is that men are gross and terrible, and that you're supposed to take that with you into the film proper. And I don't think the film really presents us with any any information to counter that thesis. But I just don't know what was really intended by this.
Speaker 3: Oh do you mean, like maybe there's there's an unspoken understanding that because in their day job, these women are like dancing for these horrible creep all the time, and so they take that with them to the other scenarios in their life, so like when they murder a man in the desert, that they're sort of like seeing in that man all of the like the go go guys.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know. I think one looks for nuance in this film at their peril. You know, Varla would not stand for that. You know, if I were to broke that hypothesis, she would she would shot me in the neck, so she would just kill you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is interesting, Like why do they seem so mad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well they are also they're criminals. They're out for that. They want a quick score. Oh you're talking about the audience.
Speaker 3: I mean the guys they're yelling out. Why do they sound angry?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, unless again, we're supposed to take something home about this that that that men in general are awful. So I don't know, worth something something we're thinking about. But then again, this is a film that I don't think necessarily well, you know, it goes two ways. I think it's a film that is also about like surface level interpretation. But this is a film that a lot has been written about there. I glanced at a number of serious film critic papers out there that in papers that we're looking at this film and talking about like gender dynamics and various forms of representation that are going on in the film. So there is a lot to chew on. You can certainly have it both ways.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's a very interesting duality and that in one sense this movie is straightforwardly very sexist, but on the other hand, it is presenting a more kind of empowered and larger than life vision of female characters than you would get in pretty much anywhere else in movies of this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think a lot of the interesting commentary comes from like trying to piece it apart and figure out, well, how much of this was intentional, how much of it is you know, sort of happy accident, etc. I mean, that's often the case with films that really stand out during you know, that really stand out to the future interpretation.
Speaker 3: But okay, there's another great smash cut here, because so like the goga, the ladies are dancing, the guys are screaming, go, and then it just like suddenly we're somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Suddenly we're in the desert. Here's our lead character, Varla, laughing maniacally as she races her sports car through the desert. And then we quickly see that they are to the two other dancers, Rosy and Billy, are racing behind her in their own sports cars laughing as well.
Speaker 3: It's like they're already fleeing the scene of a crime when we first meet them here, and who knows, maybe they are. We don't They never mentioned that.
Speaker 2: Right, right, I mean it would make sense. Yeah, they're going because there is a there's a desperation, uh to a lot of what they do, and there's a you know, they clearly don't care about the future.
Speaker 3: Well, I see what you're saying about the desperation, though, I don't want to convey the wrong feeling in the scene because instead they feel it's like they're having fun.
Speaker 2: They are, Yeah, they are completely free.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Another thing I will say is that the soundtrack really adds a lot of pep to this movie. It's like good hot music selections, and they change so fast. I think I noted. By the time we're like four minutes into the movie, we've already heard like five different songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, a lot of saxophone too, a lot of jazz saxophone. And yeah. So they're racing through the desert, but you know, Billy has needs. Billy needs a swim break, So everybody stops so that Billy can have a swim.
Speaker 3: This scene so yeah, Billy's like, I want to swim. I'm going to swim even if it's you know, this is a muddy drainage canal. I'm going to swim in that. And then I think Varla sends Rosie to go make her stop. She's like, get her out of there, and so yeah, Rosie goes to do it, and this leads to a fight scene where they're just like beating each other up on the beach. Billy and Rosie are and I think this establishes the dynamic between the characters that will continue for the rest of the film. First of all, Varla is the boss, mean, tough, dominant violence. She gives orders. If you cross her, you know, well you don't want to cross her, you don't want to find out. Meanwhile, Billy is the free spirit. She does whatever she wants whenever she feels like it. To hell with anybody who's trying to tell her it is not time to go swimming in the muddy canal. Meanwhile, Rosie, you know, we were sort of talking about this earlier. Like Rosie is the most complicated of the three. She's more resentful and reserved and sometimes seems kind of unsure, but somehow. Okay, So they end up Rosie and Billy end up fighting. I guess about the fact that Billy was swimming, and then they start they all start arguing, and Setana eventually says, you want to prove something, chicky, Let's see who the real chicken is. Another smash cut to they're playing a game of chicken in their cars on the salt flats.
Speaker 2: That's right, let's settle this honorably with with with with the dangerous vehicular action.
Speaker 3: If you're not familiar with vehicular chicken. Yeah, it's where these cars, like they drive head on toward each other and I guess the first person to swar of loses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but don't try this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who wins Varlow of course?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because yes, she is the meanest and the toughest and she will not stop.
Speaker 3: But after their game of chicken, I guess they're just hanging out in the middle of the salt flats and what do you know, Uh, oh, here here comes some people and things are not going to go well for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Here come Tommy and lynd, a couple of well meaning squares who are just so pleasant, just so pleasant. They're like, oh, strangers, in the desert. This is great, more people to hang out with. Little do they know that this band of go go witches is gonna They're gonna be their their death and doom.
Speaker 3: It's a couple of teenagers who are just like meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and canned peas.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: They love cars, soft drinks, good clean fun. And Tommy is here to do some timed trials because he loves, you know, tuning up his car, which to me did not look like a hot rod. I was like, really, Tommy, he's the car guy and that's his car. But I just don't know my sixties cars.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, the sixties car expert can shine in here and tell us what we're looking at.
Speaker 3: But so they're here to do timed trials, which Varlap makes fun of, by the way, time trials. You know, I only race against the living. But I think Linda's idea is she's gonna sit there and like, enjoy some soft drinks and do the stop Watch for Tommy while he drives around.
Speaker 2: That does it?
Speaker 3: It sounds like a great time. And at some point Linda offers the the Go Go murderers soft drinks. She's like, would you like a soft drink from our cooler here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Rosie says, honey, we don't like nothing soft. Everything we touch is hard. So let's get some more that rate russ Meyer dialogue here.
Speaker 3: But we should add like nearly every exchange in the movie is like that. It's just like nobody says anything normal. They're they're always like spitting one liners at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And basically this whole interaction with Tommy and Linda is they're just picking a fight with them the whole time. They're trying to tempt them into some sort of a confrontation. You know, it's a I thought that it ultimately has kind of Varlas especially has kind of like an Old Testament Satanic aspect to our character, because in Tommy we see a good man. You know, he's not leering, he's not saying inappropriate things like the gas station attendant from from earlier.
Speaker 3: That's later the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, that's right, because Linda's are even kidnapped by that point. But you know, most of them the males in the film are like that. You know, they're saying some some stuff here, or they're they're leering at our at our trio. But you know, Tommy seems good. You know, he couldn't possibly be provoked to violence. But you know, our Satanic character might say, well, you know he's been protected from those temptations, but what if someone were to criticize his racing, What if someone were to beat him in a desert race and also take his girlfriend? Stop watch, So.
Speaker 3: You're you're talking about like the Satan from the Book of Job, Satan as the prosecutor of the court of Heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think Varla has that kind of energy here. So yeah, so just constantly picking a fight. There's a great bit where he's starting to get a little annoyed by all this. He's like, are you are you trying to say something and she's like, I never try anything, I just do it, which awesome Varla line just sums it up, prefigures Yoda as well. Mm hmm, yoda Varla see that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She also at some point she's trying to get him to do a dangerous drag race with her, and he's at first using and she at one point says, you're the all American boy, a safety first Clyde.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So eventually the go go murder gang tricks. They like goed Tommy into racing, and so they're you know, driving around the track, and then it looks maybe like Tommy is gonna win the race, but then Varla pulls some kind of I didn't understand exactly what happened, but she pulls some kind of dangerous stunt to like run him off the course.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And so from here things escalate pretty quickly, and Varla finally provokes nice guy Tommy into a fight, into an actual physical altercation, and it is amazing because she proceeds to just karate chop the crap out of them. And I've said before, I love karate chops in these old timey fights. I don't think we see enough karate chops anymore. Today it's all like Mma moves, and I'm so bored with characters throwing out you know, either or a wrestling souplex or certainly some sort of an arm bar scenario. I want karate chops to come back in a big way, and all man, Varla throws out some wonderful ones. Finally Tommy starts punching back, and she takes him down with this cool arm based takedown thing. And then proceeds to apply a standing surfboard lock, so he's laying on his belly. She grabs both arms, puts her boot to the back of his neck, and snaps his neck with her boot. Just a complete, solid kill. This whole scene John Waters described as just mind boggling.
Speaker 3: It is shocking, and you know, if you didn't understand up until this point, you're like, oh, okay, this is why this movie is so infamous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he just killed him in cold blood. Like it escalates from just and she just met him. They just met these people and they've already provoked him to violence and then killed him.
Speaker 3: She does multiple times claim to be giving him a chance to walk away, but it's like he didn't start it. It's just like you can walk away if you just allow me to like humiliate and insult your girlfriend some more. Because they steal Linda's stop watch and they won't give it back to her, and Linda's like, help me, Tommy, and Tommy's like, oh, come on, be nice, and no, they're not going to be nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they kill Tommy in cold blood, and there's nothing left to do at that point but to kidnap Linda.
Speaker 3: More crimes right, Tommy's dead. And in a way, I think this is no big deal for them because killing men in the desert, this is just a regular part of a day off for Varla and company. Yeah, but yeah, Linda's a witness. So what are they going to do with this goody two shoes teenager who knows their fondness for go go assassination. They've got a kidnap her, take her with them to somewhere. I think they're planning to kill her also later. I don't know why they don't just do it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's they kind of skip over that, but at any rate, Yeah, they throw her in the car, they get some pills in her. They have a lot of pills on hand for this sort of thing, and then it's off to wherever. I guess they got to get gas.
Speaker 3: First, right, So next they go to the gas station, and you mentioned the interaction with the gas station attendant. This is where, like, you know, the guy's like cleaning the window and he is he is ogling Varla and at some point he says like, Wow, I'd really like to see America one day, and she goes, you won't see it down there. Columbus another great line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of our those lines are just gold, and all three of them, I think, say you get to get to jab at this this sort of happy go lucky gas station attendant. They say such mean things to him, and they're all wonderful.
Speaker 3: He stays relatively pleasant despite the fact that they're just all viciously insulting him over and over.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in a way, he's the most pleasant male character, if not the most pleasant character in the whole film.
Speaker 3: Also, while they're at the gas station, it sets up the dynamic that will take over for the rest of the movie, which is Billy. She's wandering around and she sees a hunk with muscles. She's like, wow, look at that hunk a man, and the gas station attendant I guess he just happens to know everything. He explains that that guy is the son of a local rancher who lives way out in the desert, and the rancher is he some time ago was injured and now has to use a wheelchair. Because Rob correct me if I'm getting any of this wrong. I think he says that the old man was injured while rescuing a girl from an oncoming train, and as a result of his injuries, he was paid a huge sum of money. I don't know if that was insurance or from the train company or something. And then somehow the gas pump guy knows about this and knows that he is hiding the money in cash form somewhere on his land.
Speaker 2: That's right, So now he has like a lot of paranoid delusions about the evils of trains. He hates women, and he doesn't want to put his money in the bank, so he has it hidden somewhere in the desert. It's the local lore.
Speaker 3: Right, So the old man, he first of all, he is a nasty, lecherous old creep who is the most leering of all the leering men in the film. But he also you mentioned he hates women. So the way I think this was explained is that he wants to kill women for revenge because he was injured and disabled while trying to rescue a woman. Is that the case.
Speaker 2: I believe that's what they're laying out.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: All right, Now, he can't do much on his own, but luckily he has this muscular sign who they lovingly call the vegetable.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the muscle sun is portrayed as having some kind of unspecified mental disability. Obviously this is not portrayed in the movie with great sensitivity.
Speaker 2: No, and of course neither is the disability of the old man. Yeah, but you know, you are in the mid sixties exploitation film at this point, so right, that's what you're watching.
Speaker 3: And then you've got Kirk, the other son. Who he's the other son, that's his deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he has an interesting place as well, because he's I saw some papers pointing out, you know, he's kind of the domestic and the domestic role of the group. He looks after the old man, he looks after his brother. He also seems to aspire and is ultimately positioned in a place of moral superiority, but also seems like he has turned a blind eye to a lot of bad stuff in the desert. So I was never really sure what to make of Kirk. And it also this has helped tip the scales for me and just rooting for Varla the whole time.
Speaker 3: You wanted Varla to succeed in murdering him and Linda.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'm sorry, but Varla's just compelling. I'm just not going to argue with her.
Speaker 3: So the Go Go Killers set their sights on this ranch. Varla wants the money that the old man apparently has stashed somewhere there. I don't know why they believe the gas station attended though, like why would he know this? But so they just take his word for it. Varla wants the money and Billy wants the muscle sun. So they're going to go to the ranch and rob You and I off Mike earlier were discussing this comparison. They head for the ranch where the rest of the movie is going to take place, and I could not help but notice the similarity between the family on this ranch and the family in the Texas Chainsaw Masacre, which of course came later.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, I also thought that there was kind of a solar esque vibe going on here. You know, they're perverse, they're up to bad stuff out in the middle of nowhere, but they're all but they don't go all in on the hoar and same way that the Texas Chainsaw Masker does, obviously.
Speaker 3: Right, But I mean the comparisons are almost kind of eerie, Like, so the old man, there's like a nasty, mean spirited, lecherous old man there is the muscle son you know who in I think you could compare to leather Face, And I guess the difference is that in the Sawyer family there is no Kirk. There's not like the nice, normal sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, instead of Kirk, you either get the hitchhiker or you or you get chopped up. Yes, yeah, totally different vibe in that regard. But yeah, I feel like there's there are a lot of similarities. I wonder if this influenced the shape of Texas Chainsaw Masker to any degree.
Speaker 3: Well, it also makes you wonder like how Texas Chainsaw Masker would be different if the people who show up at the Sawyer residence are not just like hapless teenagers who are trying to go to a concert or trying to you know, find visit their old family home or something, but are instead just tough as nail dancer murderers.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Sawyers wouldn't have stood a chance. Varla would have made short work of all of them, leather Face, the hitch Hike, or any of them. No chainsaw would be even revved up.
Speaker 3: She would snatch, She would snatch the chainsaw out of leather Face's hands, grab it by the blade and pull it out of his hands and then bend him over and break his neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, karate chop that neck, you know. Also like TCM, a different vibe here, but we also get a big sit down meal.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, So it takes a while. They've got a sort of elaborate plan that I'm not going to get into in great detail. But so like Varla and the gang arrive on the property and they make a plan to sort of trick the family while they search for the money, and so they claim to have been stranded there and need some water for maybe the radiators in their car or something. But they end up getting invited to lunch, I think, especially because the old man is again nasty and lecherous and wants to ogle them and do much worse. So they're all having like fried chicken and whiskey at lunch. We're not all having whiskey. They're all having chicken that Kirk cooked for everyone. And at some point Billy is like, oh, and Linda's there at the table with them, just the hostage is there, and I think at some point she's begging for help, and they're all like, I don't know what to make of this, but Billy at some point is like, hey, give me some of that whiskey, old man, and he's like okay, And then she just proceeds to immediately get blackout drunk and pass out and let Linda escape.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it is interesting that the whole vibe of this dinner is like the dinner table is this place of decorum, but everyone there is either a villain or a hostage, and yet there is this like weird like truth in place here as they engage in this strange meal. Of course, eventually Varla goads the old man by mentioning I think she's the one who mentions trains and gets him all upset and he ends up storming off. Oh and there are also a lot of a lot of comments about how much chicken the beefy son can eat.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I think at one point he is advised to help himself to both a breast and a thigh.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of winkie dialogue.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, but we forgot a part earlier on which I think is that the old man is like I think it happens off screen, but he tries to assault Linda the hostage, and she flees away into the desert and is like, okay, I'm going to escape now, and is picked up in a truck by a nice young man who seems very helpful. But it turns out this is Kirk, the other son, and he just like drives her back to the house and she's like no, no, no, not back here, and he's like, oh no, it's fine. This is my family's house.
Speaker 2: We've probably been more impactful if we the audience did not already know that Kirk was a member of that family. Yes, but it's still pretty great. She escapes a couple of different times. They're not very good at keeping her in place, but then she's not particularly good at getting away.
Speaker 3: Oh. At some point, I think also Varla seduces Kirk. I do not recall why. I think somehow, I guess she thinks this is going to help her get the money.
Speaker 2: It's just is a multi stage plan to get that money that involves violence and seduction and dinner. I mean, don't try and create a flow chart of all of this. Just trust the plan.
Speaker 3: But at some point Kirk Finally, it takes a lot, but finally Kirk wises up to the fact that not only is his own family evil, but Varla and the gang are evil as well, and so then he's like, oh, okay, I need to help Linda. So at some point, Kirk and Linda try to escape into the desert. Meanwhile, back at the house, Varla, they've started murdering everybody and that let's see that murder. Varla and Rosie murder Billy I don't quite remember why. She's leaving at some point and they like throw a knife in her back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, great kill scene. Yeah. She's like I'm done, I'll see you gals at church, and she's gone off and was like pass me the switchblade and then throws it into her back.
Speaker 3: So they end up murdering the muscle Son and the old man, and they discover where the muscle Sun kills Rosie. The muscle Son kills Rosie, and then they they Varla kills well let's see, Yeah, they kill him and the old man. The old man it turns out had all of the money that he was hiding stash somehow inside his wheelchair, and when they hit him with their car, it is all it like busts out all over the place.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Varla goes into revenge mode at this point though, and she gets. She's this great scene where she's trying to run over the mussel and and he's pushing back like he's hercules, you know, against the horsepower of the car, and there's just kind of a stalemate that of course eventually wears him out completely and he toppless. Oh he's like Samson, you've cut his hair at this point, he's powerless. But I don't think he dies. What I don't think he dies? Does he?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I don't recall actually.
Speaker 2: That he has defeated.
Speaker 3: But finally there is a showdown where okay, so Linda are our good character and Kirk are I guess kind of good character. They're escaping into the desert. They're trying to run away from the farm and and and get out of all this madness, and Varla must get revenge. So she's like hunting them down in this truck. And I think you compared her to the terminator at this point, and I think that that is a good comparison. She is just a machine out for destruction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely relentless. There's no way you can possibly get You can't stop her, you can't get away from her because she has no quit in her at one point, she's driving after them and they like cross over the railroad tracks and I was I was afraid they were gonna I was like, oh, man, is this how they're going to defeat Varla, because they're going to bring the train back into it somehow. But that's not what happens. Instead, they end up reaching this point where the like the truck. She gets out of the truck. Varla does and and now they're going to have this this final fight Varla versus Kirk and Linda in the desert, just fisticuffs and chops and boots.
Speaker 3: Well, at this point, Varla is again beating Kirk up totally because Kirk doesn't stand a chance against Varla. Of course he would, she would kill him. But I think Linda comes to the to the rescue with the truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she jumps back into the truck, starts it up, and hits Varla with the truck, and so we end up with with again. Varla's already totally kicked Kirk's butt at this point, like she she she hits first, she like kicks him in the kidney or something. She's chopped him multiple times, and she's now she's been hit by the v She's laying there next to him, and she raises one last karate chop into the air to bring down on him. You just know it's going to be a death blow. But then uh, she succumbs to her injuries and dies.
Speaker 3: The ending is great, though I did have one note. I was like, one way you could make this movie better is if at the end of Varla, instead of just succumbing to her injuries, is it somehow explodes like the Shark and Jaws, you know, like they put like a pressure air tank in her mouth and shoot that and then she explodes into ten billion pieces.
Speaker 2: That would have been good, you know, I could just see. I could see the train ending having worked. I wonder if that was ever on the menu as a potential ending for this film. But I also like the idea of I think Varla should have just won. I think Varleass should have murdered Kirk. But then again we back come back to the question of well, what is the where is she gonna go with Linda? Like, what's the plan here? Does she just kill Linda as well and then go off into the desert or is there some next step there? I'm not sure, so I guess it ultimately is just as well that she that this character dies.
Speaker 3: I think, let's see what would Varla have done if she'd want Yeah, she'd get the money. She would stand there and declare that she is not sad that her friends are dead. She's like, I don't miss them one bit, and then she would get in her car and drive away to her to the next adventure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think maybe just leave Linda alive in the desert to you know, to surely die. That would have probably worked. I feel like that's the ending this film would have had in the seventies. But already, you know, even mid sixties, it was ahead of its time, and there's only so much meanness that it could muster.
Speaker 3: I just remembered something about the final dialogue exchange after Varla is defeated, and I had to look it up. So what exactly they say? It's so, you know, Varla dies, and then Linda gets out of the truck and she says I killed her like she was an animal, like she was nothing, and then Kirk says she was nothing thing human. And so I wonder if the ending maybe means that Linda now has acquired a taste for violence, and she has been set on a path to become like them.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well that would be interesting. Again, I'm not sure how how deep we can dig into the into the paint on this film, but I like that interpretation.
Speaker 3: Like immediately after the camera stops rolling, I imagine Linda next is like, Hey, Kirk, would you like to go racing on the salt flats? We'll see who wins.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there you have it, faster Pussycat Kill Kill. Yeah, this one was a lot of fun, and I think now just in general, in all movies that we watch, I'm at least going to have that voice in the back of my head what would Varla do in this scenario? Yeah, she's an unforgettable character.
Speaker 3: At the very least, she would welcome us to violence.
Speaker 2: That's right. All right, Well, just a reminder that we're primarily a science podcast year and the stuff to blow your mind feed but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. And if you want to see a list of all the films we've done over the years, where you can go to a couple of places I blog about these films at some meuto music dot com, but also over at letterbox dot com. It's L E T E R B O x D dot com. You'll find we'll find us. We have a user name there, weird House, and we have a nice list of all the movies we've covered. You can, you know, slice them up and rearrange them by decade, by genre and so forth. So it's a it's a pretty good way to see what else we've talked about, and maybe if you haven't listened to many of them, find some older episodes that interest you.
Speaker 3: In particular huge thanks to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.