Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind listener Mail. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick, and hey. It is one of our classic end of Halloween season listener mail episodes. We always kind of have to do some clean up after October.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm going to stop you right there, Joe. October still going. Today is October thirty sixth Halloween is still going strong. I refuse to hear any differently from anyone out there keeping the Halloween train going.
Speaker 3: Our mailbot Carney, of course, was tpeed by some neighborhood kids on Halloween night and now and then got rained on. So it's kind of a mess in here, but Carney's getting cleaned up. And yeah, the Halloween messages keep rolling in, so we'll feature some today and probably some more later this month.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So if you're listening to you're like, oh, yeah, I meant to write in about that Halloween episode, but now it's too late. It is not too late, keep them. We will read Halloween listener mail episodes in December if need be, so don't worry about that at all.
Speaker 3: All right, Rob, do you mind if I kick things off with this message from Matt about the Hogs of Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have it, okay.
Speaker 3: Of course, Hogs of Hell was a series we did about monster pigs that we got into some benevolent divine pigs as well. But in the first episode of that series we talked mostly about demonic pigs and pig monsters from mythology and from horror movies. And then in the second episode we talked about the Intela Daunts, which have been in the popular press referred to as hell pigs. These are mammals that first appeared in the Eocene Epic and flourished in the subsequent epics, died out in the Miocene. They're not actually pigs. We discovered in the end that they're more closely related to whales and hippopotamuses, maybe making them even more strange. But they have a lot of pig like features. And in fact, over the weekend I got to go to one of America's great museums. I was at the Field Museum in Chicago, and I came across an antilidant skull. The skull was massive, amazing, awe inspiring. It had cheek flanges going out to you. You can't imagine until you see it how far these cheekbones pop out. I was thinking of them like outriggers on a canoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite an impressive specimen, and indeed, to your point, such an amazing museum, one of the best.
Speaker 3: Anyway. This first message is for Matt and it is about hell hogs, subject line the Mucklocks. Good day, Rob and Joe. Overjoyed to see you chatting about demon hoggs. There's a case I wanted to share with you, which I think is right up this particular street. The case pertains to the Mucklocks in County Roscommon, Ireland. The Mucklocks are earth in formations in an area called Rathkron. Specifically, they are linear earthworks said to have been gouged from the earth by a magical wild bore from the other world muk being Gaelic for pig. The bore is said to have leapt from the depths of Owenegat, also called the Gate of Hell, and the Cave of the Cats, which is fairly close by the Cave is one of those wonderfully spooky but inconspicuous entrances to the fairy other world, and itself said to be the physical home of the Morrigan and one of, if not the most important places pertaining to the origins of Sawen. I got to climb into the cave with a local archaeologist a couple of years back. It was pretty metal. For context, both of these landscape features are set within a wider area, featuring some two hundred and forty archaeological monuments in a six kilometer square area. It is wild. I've attached a drone in provided to me by the aforementioned archaeologist, so that you can see what I mean. I will also attach a photo from inside the cave, although you can't see much. Finally, I wrote an article on the place and some of the conservation efforts ongoing with local farmers and then folks. If you want to look up Matt's article about this, it is from April of this year and the article is called how to Sustainably Farm on Ancient Monuments and so the Matt's article is about the competing concerns of the preservation of archaeological sites, many of which are just earth and mounds. So it's not like Great Stoneworks, but like the mound, the pile up of the earth is the site, and then the grazing needs of local cattle and sheep farmers.
Speaker 2: Rob.
Speaker 3: I've put the images that Matt attach with the email and the outline for you to look at. Here the mouth of the cave, well, actually I'm seeing two different things. I think One is the mouth of the cave as seen from the outside. There's daylight pouring in. It looks a little bit spooky. But then there's this other thing I believe a little bit are there down the cave mouth that is just like the esophagus of a great stone beast.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I would say that the outside image with the greenery list looks like a still from the game Missed, whereas the interior cavern image looks like something from Silent Hill too. Totally good.
Speaker 3: Matt finishes by saying, aside, this whole area is an absolute treasure trove of stories both archaeological and folklorical, might be worth exploring further. Thanks again for your time and the show, Matt. Oh and then Matt also includes a ps correcting something he said in an email a while back that apparently we didn't catch. He says that he wrote a note pertaining to clay and clay infrastructure. I wonder if this was in the series we did on mud where we ended up talking about mud brick construction. That sounds right to me. But anyway, Matt goes on to say, quote specifically old drainage tile in crop fields. In this email, I mentioned that the old tiles were fit together in just such a way that water could get through to drain I don't know why I said that, because it's wrong. The water enters the tiles through the porous surface of the constructed clay material. Okay, so good job, good job catching yourself on that mat. But also thank you for the email. And yeah, this is really interesting. I knew nothing about one got to the Gate to Hell or the Cave of Cats, So I'm gonna have to look that up, learn more about it, and maybe it will come back on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And this is exactly the sort of local detail and personal experience or expertise that we love to see in a listener mail. So this is great. Thanks for sending all this all right, This next one comes to us from Lindsey. The title the email is hell Hogs and Avelina's for Halloween.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, And this sort of has to do with At the end of the series, we were talking a bit about the difference between wild pigs and pekearees. They're very similar pecrees or different families of mammals, but they look very pig like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, and I'm reading this. There's almost a cowboy song cadence to this particular email, but I'm not going to try and sing it as a cowboy song. But okay, at any rate, Robert and Joe. Out here in far West Texas, we have havelinas and in wetter zones with more coverage, feral hogs. Faral hogs are far more destructive and could be a potential threat. Have Alinas are about knee high and are far more curious than aggressive, while the haveolinas are permanent residents. We tend to see them moving up and down our hill in the spring and fall. It lacks precision, but we often talk about change of seasons when they come through. What they have taken to is coming down the hill, walking halfway around the house on a wood porch, then jumping down four feet off the end, and where they continue down the hill. For some reason, they like doing it very early in the morning. I refer to it as the devil's hoof beats going to see the neighbors. Not that we're so angelic, We're just dull, just part of life out here, like the midsummer mule deer bucks that sleep under the front porch in the middle of the day. Happy bat Week, y'all, Lindsey and I had to look this up. Yes, that week is indeed October twenty fourth through the thirty first. I don't think we've ever celebrated on the show before. Maybe we should do that next year. We're ginerally just distracted with all the Halloween shenan against. But if you want to learn more about bat Week, go to batweek dot org.
Speaker 3: Now, I actually did want to bring up something I remember about Halina's from when I was in West Texas. There was a one time my wife and I went to visit some family who were working in Big beIN National Park in West Texas and Big Ben by the way, if you ever get a chance to go there, it is a beautiful area of the Chisos Mountains and the desert there. I did not realize that I was a fan of the desert until I went to Big Bend, and it's a really amazing place. But there are havelinas out there. There are these wild pig like animals. And if you think that they are not as threatening or as metal as wild pigs, maybe they're not, I don't know, as aggressive. Maybe they're more curious and cue. But they do eat the scariest looking cactuses you have ever seen. So like, you'll look at a cactus and not only do you not want to touch it, you don't want to get within ten feet of it. The spines are just unreal and the and as so like prickly pears and cactus, these little pig like animals will just walk right up to them and just chomp them up. It goes straight into the mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's quite impressive. And you know, I don't know, you look at one and they kind of look like they're half cactus anyways, So yeah, I guess it all makes sense.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how that works. Maybe we'll have to research this one day, but I feel like I could no more like eat a box of nails than eat one of these things. And they just chew them right up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would be interesting to do. With their various robust digestive systems of the natural world that we could consider for sure. But anyway, Lindsey, thanks for riding in from the desert. This is great all right.
Speaker 3: Still on the subject of hogs from Hell, this message is from Jeff. Jeff says, greetings, Rob and Joe. I can't think about pigs in film without thinking of Haiau Miyazaki. For some reason, Miyazaki often draws himself as a pig, and the inclusion of pigs in so many of his movies seems to be his version of Hitchcock's cameos. Of course, there is Porco Rosso and Rob. I haven't actually seen that one, have you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Porko Rosso. I remember it as being good. It's not one of my favorite Miyazaki films, but like, it's not like any of them are bad or anything. It's got a lot of you know, old timey fighter planes in it and all, and have memory serves. Michael Keaton voices pork Rosso in the dubbed version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like an anthropomorphic pig who is a pilot of a sort of World War One style fighter biplane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there is pork Rosso, But then Jeff goes on to say, but on the Halloween frequency, there is Nago, the infected bore god from Princess Mononoke, and the trauma inducing scene from Spirited Away in which Chihiro's parents turn into hogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep that one on your mind, because we're going to be talking about Spirited Away this Friday on Weird House Cinema. So today October the thirty sixth, if you need something a little light but also a little scary in places to distract you from whatever's going on in your life of the world, fire up a copy of Spirited Away. So it's a tremendous film.
Speaker 3: Jeff goes on to say. Another image that jumps to mind is the insanely creepy pig meme gif sampled from the nineteen oherent In film like Cochon danser Rob. I had to pull this up because I wasn't sure exactly what it was referring to. But when I found it, I was like, oh, yeah, this thing. I've seen this on the internet. So it is a common gift used to I don't know, just triggered like intense revulsion and fear. It is of a man in a very well animated pig mask in a black and white film with scary teeth, you know, the long pig nose, snout, and it's so it's like a person in a costume, but it's also a very articulated piece of puppetry on the skull of the costume. The mouth opens and closes, the tongue wags and lashes out, and I was like, what is this from? Well, I looked up like coshan danceer. So it is a nineteen oh seven film that's like four or five minutes long that is capturing something that was a popular stage performance. I think a vaudeville performance in which a person in a large pig costume with this puppet head pesters a woman who first is trying to she's trying to have a picnic. I think, like she's eating some food and the pig guy in a suit is he's in a tuxedo. He's like, hey, give me some of that food, and he keeps trying to get the food from her, and she's like, no, leave me alone. And then eventually she rips the the pig man's clothes off and then the pig looks humiliated and embarrassed, and then the pig man and the woman suddenly all is well, and then they just do a dance number that goes on for most of the runtime of the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is this is one that I've seen clips off before. It's quite it's it's it's amazing from a you know, a technical standpoint. I remember showing this to a friend of mine who is a puppeteer and a fabricator, and yeah, he was really impressed with it. He was like, yeah, they really did this upright. There's also a colorized version of it out there that somehow is even creepier because I think one of the things about it is that, you know, it's this old footage of a very you know, very convincing and you know, technically, you know, well crafted and performed puppet slash suit effect. And there's something about it being an old picture that makes it feel like you're not watching a costume, but you're watching some sort of actual beast, you know. So, yeah, it's a lot of fun. If you haven't seen it.
Speaker 3: There's an idea in my head that's not fully formed. This may not come out right, but I'm thinking about what are the qualities where an image from say one hundred years ago, codes as creepy in terms of modern sensibilities in a way that most creepy images from the time do not. I'm thinking of this pig. I'm also thinking of the famous image from the early film The Man Who Laughs, which looks very much like a you know, twenty first century joker. Like, what is it about. Occasionally you get these little things or it doesn't look one hundred years old, it looks like something that was supposed to be creepy from last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, We've touched on this a little bit on weird House Cinema, talking at times about like pre code horror films. You know how you know, there's often stuff in those those pictures, sites and sounds or themes that it hit a lot harder than you might expect when you go back into say the nineteen thirties and look at films, and you know, part of that is just like, even if you know better, even if you know about, like you know, the pre code cinema and some of the things that they some of the elements that they had him play there, there's something in your mind that kind of just assumes that going backward through cinematic history. From now, things are going to get tamer and more innocent or something. I don't know, Like none of it makes logical sense, but I still will sometimes surprise myself when I pull something up from an old picture and I'm like, oh, wow, that does hit really hard. I guess it's probably some sort of modernity bias or I don't know, but maybe there's kind of like a you know, a line graph that peaks in the in the nineteen eighties or something. In terms of my mind, you know, where if anything is actually you know, effective before or after that period by a significant number of decades, then I'm amazed by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if I think of it as effective. But there are certain things that again to hit this list, So that the scary pig face from Lacushon dan Sewer, the image we see of the like the full costume with the dark glasses from Mad Love, the laughing face from the film The Man Who Laughs. You know, they just don't look like images from the nineteen aughts to the nineteen thirties. To me, they look like something conceived more recently. And I don't know why that is, but the yeah, the interesting thing to look into. Yeah, Jeff says, finally, as a result of the closing song on the Pixies album Bossa Nova, I always associate Havelina's with a mellow sunset over the warm red rocks of Arizona, with Kim Deal's angelic voice echoing in the breeze. And then Jeff includes a link to the song have Alena by the Pixies, which most of the lyrics are just saying the word Havelena a million times, but it does say walking in the breeze on the planes of Old Sagona, Arizona, among the trees, so maybe it was inspired by watching Havelena's root around. But then, finally, Jeff says, I have a hard time thinking of them as savage, demonic beasts, but then again, I've never had a family of them tear up my garden. Hope this message wasn't too a booring Jeff, No, Jeff, not boring at all. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, This next one comes to us from Lee Lee Wright. Sentence says, greetings, Rob, Joe, and JJ. Just a quick hit today after listening to the latest episode The idea of the fictional pigs or hogs of hell discussion had me checking into the Shreder minions be By and rock Steady, partially in order to check which was which, but also to see if either showed up in the TMNT live action films. That's teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by the way, for those of you not familiar with the abbreviation. But yes, Bebop and rock Steady, I too always have to look up to to remind myself which one is which. And Bebop is the pig or boor Man, the Boorman mutant. Rock Steady is the Rhino mutant.
Speaker 3: And they make them punks. We've talked about this on the show before. They're punks. Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Why are they punks? Like they are? They fans of punk music and and they're off time from working for Shredder.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you got to have a hobby. I mean, so the email continues. Bbop is the anthropomorphic poresign character. Except for the inherent ineptitude of the character, he's kind of horrific. I agreed, like these two are just total stooges. They're never really much of a threat and anything Ninja Turtle related that I've ever seen, but they're a lot of fun, like they're are like you may I can't even remember in the Arcade game, you may fight these guys on the first level. I don't recall pretty early on.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, in the Arcade game, I think you fight rock Steady first, the Rhino. When you're fighting in that burning apartment building, you get to the end of it and like a I don't know, some kind of pod comes down and he pops out of it and you have.
Speaker 2: To fight him.
Speaker 3: I don't remember when.
Speaker 2: You fight Bebop.
Speaker 3: I guess the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean there in reality, these would be pretty horrific organisms to do battle with, so it seems like they should rank higher than what Baxter Stockman though. The fly dude, you know, like a human fly hybrid, while you know, obviously horrific and grotesque, we wouldn't be able to pack as much punch punch as a rhino human hybrid. But we see similar things in like Spider Man, Like Rhino is always like seems to be considered a lower tier villain in the Spider Man universe, but like in reality, like dude, that was, I don't think he's part rhino, but he has like some sort of a suit that makes him part rhino. Like, that's pretty, that's pretty intimidating. That would be quite a fight.
Speaker 3: Maybe I misunderstand. I'm not super up on Spider Man Lord, but I understand Rhino to be a brute force kind of. He's like pure muscle and strength and usually thus being exploited by one of the smarter villains.
Speaker 2: True. True. You know another pig related creature that comes to mind. There's one of the minions in Guardians of the Galaxy three, which is quite great. There is a pig based mutant character or mutant robot cyborg underling that they battle briefly. All right, so anyway, that's basically Lee's entire email email. It ends with just a couple of pictures of the creatures in question.
Speaker 3: You know, I think I liked them more in the cartoon I watched as a kid. Seeing them in the in the realistic textured CGIs is really gross. I'm imagining like feeling the hair on Bebop's belly. It's upsetting me.
Speaker 2: Anyway, lady, thanks for writing in. Yeah, good stroll down memory lane with the various pig newtons here.
Speaker 3: Okay, more pig beings from Science Fiction. The next message is from Jim, who says, hey, guys, loved your series on hogs. I wanted to throw this in. On Star Trek, there was the species known as the telewrites. Their facial features were very pig like. They were one of the founding species of the Federation. I guess, right up there with the Vulcan. Huh. They tended to be argumentative and stubborn, traits we ascribed to pigs. They appeared in episodes from the original series Journey to Babbel and Whom the Gods Destroy Love October for all the Halloween content. Jim, well, thank you. Jim so so based on this, I didn't know this, and I looked up some images rob first in our outline for you to look at. Here I found images of the Tellertes from some later series. I think the main source of the images you're looking at now is from Enterprise, in which these guys remind me of like Peter Jackson's version of Tolkien's Dwarves. They look kind of rough and grumpy, but also like loyal friends, you know, good guys, and they are they look like they're all voiced by John Reyes Davies Now, on the other hand, I found an image of the Tellerites from the original series. Horrifying. Looks like a mask that is meant to be understood as a mask, not as skin like it would be worn by the killer in a nineteen eighty two slasher movie called Slaughterhouse. But I guess it is not supposed to be a mask. It looks like this is the face. So there's shaggy hair, shaggy beard, pink skin, upturned pig like nose, and then empty dark eye sockets without eyeballs in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least in this still you included here, the Tellwright look is one of horror. I'm not really fair. I never watched a lot of the original Star Trek series, so I don't think I ever experienced them there, and I didn't watch any of these more recent live action Star Trek series where they also show up. But my family and I we watched the first season of Star Trek Prodigy, which is an animated Star Trek adventure show of you know, the for the whole family that does include a Tellwright main character as well as some supporting Tellwrite characters. So I think that was the main place where I was like oh, Tellwrights, this is a this is a whole thing. This is like part of classic track that they've brought back here.
Speaker 3: Well, I knew nothing about this. Thank you Jim for bringing it to our attention. Thank you to one of the multiple gyms who likes to write in about Star Trek.
Speaker 2: Not to.
Speaker 3: Not to downplay your contributions, but I find that is interesting. We have multiple Star Trek fans named Jim who get in touch.
Speaker 2: All right, here's one more pig message. This one comes to us via Discord. If you would like to be a part of the stuff to Blow your mind official discord, just to email us and we'll send you the link for the Discord server that email. If you don't have it already, we'll mention that at the end of the podcast. Here anyway, this one comes to us from Steve. Steve Wright's for sure, even farm pigs are opportunistic omnivores. I learned that the hard way. I was three or four years old visiting a friend of my father's who lived on a farm. My dad and his friend were talking and lost track of me because I wanted to touch the piggy. I figure out how to unlatch a small gate walked into the pen and close the fence door fully behind me. It was then I realized just how big the pig was and how small I was. It loudly snorted and charged toward me in unbridled terror. I ran parallel to the perimeter of the fence as fast as I could and began screaming in horror help while crying uncontrollably. Just as I felt the breath of the beast on the back of my neck and certain I was done for, the son in law of my dad's friend hurtled the fence and landed what must have been a remarkable flying dropkick on the pig's ribcage. He shouted at the pig, and it ran off, snorting angrily. That dude was awesome, and he got me out of the pen fast and uninjured. I proceeded to be balled out by my father, but I did not care, as my gratitude for not having been eaten alive was much more powerful than anything he could say at that point.
Speaker 3: Well, I can see why that would be a very bold memory does remind me of I think we talked about the scene at the beginning of The Wizard of Oz where Dorothy goes into the pig pen and is threatened by the pigs. Yeah, it seems quite scary. One more brief thing from Discord regarding the hogs of Hell. We were talking in the second episode about paleontology and about antelodonts. We got into a section about paleo art where we started talking about the you know, the difficulty for a paleo artist in figuring out what the soft tissue is of an animal looked like if the animal is only preserved by you know, fossils of the bones, how can you have an idea like how much soft tissue they had on them, how bulky to depict them? And we talked about the the the idea of shrink wrapping animals, just sort of looking at the bones and then imagining skin stretch tight over those bones. The point being that if you're a paleo artist, it does involve usually involves some kind of guesswork or making assumptions about the soft tissue surrounding the bones, but also there are ways of using science and things we know to inform how you depict that soft tissue in the assumption you make about it, so it's not all guesses there is some science that goes into it. But anyway, on the subject of that shrink wrapping, Robin on Discord said, just listening to Hogs of Hell Part two, I believe the shrink wrap animals you may have been thinking of was the book All Yesterdays by Conway, Kosman and Nash. They also did a fan submitted sequel, All Your Yesterdays. Blog about it here. Pretty easy to search up for more if you want so, folks, if you want to look that book up, it is again called All Yesterdays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is definitely it. I remember some of these stills.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's see next we should go to the messages about high gravity. We got a number of responses from brewers and people who are connected to brewers on the subject of high gravity beer. So the context was this. It was the previous October listener mail and we got a message about an urban legend from Texas of a haunted railroad track, including the detail that you could supposedly have a ghost encounter by parking your car on the tracks, putting it in neutral, and the ghosts would push your car away from the tracks. So, first of all, acknowledging that this is an ill advised thing to do on any active railroad tracks don't do stuff like that. But we talked about reasons for the illusion of the ghost push, the most likely being that the railroad crossing is subject to some kind of illusory slope. Maybe it appears flat or appeers sloped in one direction, but in reality is sloped in the other direction. And this is the case with a lot of places around the world, many of which are turned into tourist attractions called things like gravity hills, where you can watch a ball appear to roll up hill. Now, in reality, they sometimes start to explain these places by saying, oh, there's some kind of gravity anomaly, there's like something buried in the hill that makes like gravity go upwards or something. In reality, in no case is there ever anything anomalous about the gravity. Gravity is working normally. Instead, this is caused by a visual illusion where the horizon is obscured. You can't see the horizon for reference, and surrounding visual cues create a false idea of what the flat plane relative to the Earth's gravity would be. And so this led Rob to suggest that somebody start a brewery for high gravity beers at one of these gravity Hills, but we actually did not know where the phrase high gravity with respect to beer came from, so multiple people with brewing knowledge wrote in to inform us. Let's see what Rob, Maybe, do you want to read this message from Chris?
Speaker 2: Certainly? Chris says on the topic of gravity and beer slash the brewing process. I can provide a bit of insight as I have a master brewer certification. The gravity that may be noted in descriptions of beer is not the gravity in the traditional sense, but a shortening of the term specific gravity, which is used in the brewing industry depending on region and testing method. There are other terms such as degree, plato and bricks. He can be making all this up, and I would, but anyway to determine the amount of dissolved sugars in the warked name for beer before it has been fermented, and then checked again during and after fermentation, and it includes a link to a source of the longer explanation you can get pretty deep into fermentation science. Of course, anyway continues. This is of particular importance because during the process of brewing it does end up determining the potential for the end alcohol by volume. So if you start with a high gravity, meaning lots of potential sugars for the yeast to convert. You can end with a higher ABV percentage, and this can be calculated by the change in specific gravity. As the yeast convert sugars to alcohol and carbon dioxide. During fermentation, the specific gravity begins to drop closer to the reference of one point zero zero zero, which would be the specific gravity of water. There is so much more to say on this topic, but I hope this short explanation helped clear things up. I am not familiar with any of these types of attractions that Joe had mentioned, but if any local breweries have them near, I agree with Robert, a collaboration beer slash naming must be in order.
Speaker 3: Cheers, all right, a master brewer's stamp of approval for your business idea. Rob So, are you gonna Are you gonna watch this thing or you're just handing it off.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hand this off.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, okay, So thank you, Chris. This does make sense. So we were talking in the episode about how the idea of the gravity of a beer. High gravity beer refers to beer with more alcohol in it, but we didn't know if that was just a cute name, or if maybe it referred to something in the brewing process. So it does refer to something in the brewing process. It's not a direct measure of the alcohol content, but it is an indirect measure of the alcohol content the specific gravity of the wart and the brew later after fermentation. That specific gravity gives you an idea of how much alcohol will be in the final product. Now I mentioned we got other messages on the topic of high gravity beer. We got another one from Jeremy, and I wanted to add a few details from this. Jeremy's message cites twenty years of hobby brewing experience, so we got a real what do you call it, an expert amateur here. One thing Jeremy points out is that quote in the past, high gravity brewing meant brewing a potent beer and diluting it with water before packaging, bottling, etc. Less water in the fermentation means you can make more beer with less fermenttor space. Generally, it was a frowned upon practice for adulterating beer. Ah, so that's a practical thing I hadn't considered. That makes sense. So you brew a you make a stronger brew Initially and then dilute it with water to end up with your final beer. But I guess if you want to, you know, really serve up one of these strong doubles or triples or whatever, these days, you just don't really dilute it. But it could go back to an older practice of making more efficient use of brewing space. Jeremy also gives some more details about the relationship between the different gravity measurements through the brewing process. So Jeremy says there are three key terms. There's original gravity, which is quote a measurement of the fermentable and unfermentable substances in the wart before fermentation. Original gravity is a measure of the potential alcohol content of the beer. Specific gravity is quote a measurement of the relative density of the wart or must compared to water. And then final gravity is quote a measurement of the wart after fermentation. Comparing original gravity to final gravity can determine the exact alcohol content of the beer. Alcohol content is limited by the ability of the yeast to survive its own waste, which are alcohol and carbon dioxide. The remainder is sugar and thus and thus the sweetness of the final product also called maltiness best, Jeremy, So thank you Jeremy, and again thank you to everyone who wrote in about high gravity beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I know so much more now. When I hear my Dungeons and Dragons friends talking about high gravity beers, I have some idea of what they mean by that.
Speaker 3: If I recall, Rob me, correct me if I'm wrong. You're not really a beer guy, are you.
Speaker 2: No? No, No, not at all. So I just don't know much about it. I admire the often creative labels and names for all these various beers folks are drinking, but I just don't know stuf I've ever gotten into. Is you know, a cold corona once once in a blue moon, but not a blue moon, which is also a beer that's also some people favorites. I think all the names for beers have been taken at this point.
Speaker 3: I would be shocked if there were an Antiladont themed beer. But prove me wrong, Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's get into a little weird house cinema listener mail as we make our final journey through this particular episode. This one comes to us from Daniel, and it is a response to our recent episode on prints of Darkness. Dear Robert and Joe, thank you again for taking us on a cultural journey through a film I will never watch for myself, Although I find it enlightening to think about why the genre scares me, I simply do not have the stomach for movie gore. Thankfully, Weird House Cinema offers great insight into horror cinema without upsetting my sleep. As for Joe's recent question of whether or not an ancient language expert is able to translate original text directly into English, the answer is yes. Several years ago, I had the good fortune of attending a tour of the Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures at the University of Chicago. The tour was led by doctor Christopher Woods, professor of Sumerian and former director of the Institute. In the Egyptian Gallery, doctor Woods stopped before a replica cast from the original Rosetta Stone and began reading the text to us. I was surprised and asked if he memorized portions, and he said no. I learned to read the languages for my work. It is not often you get to hang out with people who read dead languages on the fly. I was impressed be well. Daniel ps. Yes, the ISAC was formerly known as the Oriental Institute the Founders, which inspired Indiana Jones, according to local legend.
Speaker 3: Nice to be clear, this was referring to a scene in Prince of Darkness where they bring in an expert on ancient languages. I think, a theology student to translate from a host of different an ancient languages Latin and Coptic and Greek and stuff, because they're all jumbled up in this ancient book. And she just like looks at the book and then just starts typing an English translation directly from the book onto a computer. And that struck me as funny because I imagined that even an expert, even the person with the most knowledge of these languages, would probably need to use some reference materials and look some stuff up. But it was just going straight from one to the other, like total fluency. And so maybe I was wrong. Maybe the experts in these languages really can go that straight off the page.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they watch Prints of Darkness they're like, yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 3: But thank you, Daniel. Enlightning story. Okay, one more message about weird House cinema. This one recommending a movie that has been recommended to us before. We get a lot of notes on this title. So Kathy writes in to say, first of all, subject line of Kathy's email is is it atomic? Email begins, yes, sir, very atomic. One of the greatest lines ever delivered by Edward Everett Horton from Fractured Fairy Tales fame. It is in nineteen fifty threes the five Thousand Fingers of Doctor t Think low budget Wizard of Oz combined with Alice in Wonderland, but with LSD and minions. A crazy wizard kidnaps five hundred children and forces them to play his giant piano. No metaphor there. I am well into retirement, Yet a week doesn't go by that this line doesn't run through my brain. At some point said line is delivered about halfway through this clip, and then she attaches a clip for us to watch. I did watch it, and I love the colors. This is a great looking film from the fifties. It's in color, of course, and it looks like an absolute hoot. But I will say in this one clip, the constant kind of like boing boying honk sound effects are proving difficult to get through, and so I'm wondering how much of that is in the movie or or if it's just this scene. If it's just the scene, I think I could survive it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I've never seen it, but it is one that has been recommended a few different times, and I'll see it pop up on lists of weird films. So, I mean, folks seem to really get a lot out of it. So it's it's on the list of Weird House cinema candidates, so, you know, and every time somebody mentions it again, we you know, we flag it once more. So I don't know, maybe we'll have to get into it in the not too distant future here, all right. Finally, to end things on a Halloween note, I guess we're gonna read one last one from our discord server. This is from Adam. Adam says, listen to a bunch of rocky ericson today for the first time. Incredible. That's the second musician I've gotten into from y'all's recommendations on Weird House, the first being Nursed with Wound. I don't know in what context I reckon to Nurse with Wound. We were probably talking about music for a film that was very like Noisy in Cacophonus or something. But anyway, Adam says, in return, I'd like to recommend the album songs from the recently deceased by the Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet thirteen horror punk with three different tracks inspired by films featured on Weird House. Uh.
Speaker 3: I know nothing about this band.
Speaker 2: I also know nothing about them, so I'm not familiar with this act, but I'll have to check them out. Yeah, pulling up this album and it's like, let's see, Oh yeah, there's a creature from the Black Lagoon track, Black Yellow track. Okay, what else is on here? Plan nine from outer Space related track? So yeah, if nothing else, the horror references are there. You gotta love an old horror punk song that is just straight up the name of a movie, very much in the Misfits style of things. So yeah, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out.
Speaker 3: Did you say Bride of Frankenstein or did I miss that?
Speaker 2: I didn't mention it, but yes, to your point, yeah, there is a Bride of Frankenstein. So it's probably like at least four different tracks that reference movies that we've talked about on the show before. I always enjoy this sort of recommendation. There was a listener who wrote in previously about the band Messer Chups, which is a surf rock band from Saint Petersburg, Russia, that a lot of their songs have to do with old horror movies and they're at the light. I've been listening to a lot of Messer Chops, if I'm saying that correctly, during this Halloween season. It was a lot of fun to play in the car, play in the house, and so forth. So I will reiterate that recommendation for anyone out there who wants a little spooky surf music in their life. All right, So that's going to be it for this episode of Stuff to blow your mind. Listener, mail, but keep it coming. We'd love to hear from y'all. If you have additional thoughts on Halloween episodes, pre Halloween episodes or post Halloween episodes, it's all good. Just right in. We'll have that email addressed for you here in just a second. What else can we drive home here? Let's see. If you're on Instagram, we are STBYM podcast. You can follow us there if you want to join the discord. We'll shoot you that link if you send us an email asking for it. Let's see. Oh, we haven't done this call out in a bit, but hey, if you like the show, If you like what we do and you haven't reviewed us, say on Apple on Apple Podcasts, give us a nice little review that helps helps things out. Keeps our star rating nice and fresh and shiny. Otherwise, Yeah, we hope you're enjoying the show and spread the spread the love. Tell other people about the show if you think they might dig it as well.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact that Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.