Speaker 1: H m.
Speaker 2: Moments of generosities when you can actually rekindle and revisit with great friends and have great conversation toasted that.
Speaker 3: M hm. Oh yeah, that's right, that's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of defining moment with us as a group. I thought the two that that stand out was the one was on the duck boat before the year, when we were sitting on the duck boat and I needed y'all to buy into me because y'all didn't know me. Paul knew me, and uh I gave you know, we went on. We got the duck boat, which Kevin was like, what are we doing on a duck? But what are we doing? A duck's a duck boat. And we got the dug boat to go on the exact parade route that we're gonna go on if we wanted, and I wanted them to envision it. Uh. But then we started talking about what we had to do. Remember, the boat got quiet. It was just us. But and I said, listen, y'all gotta sacrifice. Y'all gotta give up this. Y'all gotta give up this. Y'all gotta trust me, You gotta allow me to coach you, and it's gonna be hard, and y'all all everyone you rate. That wasn't even a hesitation like Kevin said, I'll give up all my shots. I don't want any shots. And I was like, that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that we got a sacrifice. And then we talked about defense. And then the other one was you know all the young guys, the big big Baby. I'm telling you he was a nut. But I called big Baby and whoever else with the young guys can't remember who. Leon Pold called him in my room in room and I've done I've been researching this in Botoo for a month at that point, and I had all emery, had so many notes, and we had all this yellow stuff written down. And I brought Big Baby in, who was a food and uh that yeah, and it was his rookie year and Leon pol and I said, hey, tomorrow, y'all are going to present this word. And I remember a big Baby would tell you. I looked at him and said, hey, listen, this ain't no, this ain't nofing. Joe. I said, I may cut you guys if you don't do this ship right tomorrow. I mean I put the fear of God. I'm not kidding. I gave them a stack. And I don't know why I didn't check. That was stupid of me. Uh. They they came that morning. That presentation was amazing. It was the best guy.
Speaker 4: But there realizes Big Baby majored in drama in theater.
Speaker 1: But he presented it. He was sweating, he was teary eyed. Uh. And right when it finished and he said one, two, three and two, he was over. It was bought in. And that was from Big Baby and Leon Poe. Am missing somebody else. But it was awesome. And I thought as far as us coming together, that was a huge, especially being in Rome. For whatever reason that meant something.
Speaker 3: We might need to go back to Rome. Just three of us.
Speaker 4: I'm all four with it.
Speaker 3: Y'all know what it is is taking the truth. Man. We got the great Doc Rivers.
Speaker 1: They didn't say that when I coached him. But now we're good.
Speaker 3: It's always like that, right, How you.
Speaker 1: Doing, man, I've been great, man, it's been it's been really good, really relaxed, relaxed for real.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking that dog yelling on the sideline. Marshal us he looked, he look cool.
Speaker 1: Great. You know, sometimes like I love I love coaching, I'm up, but I do. But sometimes you need this and that break. I probably needed it three or four years before that. You just don't know it because you love what you're doing, and then when it's forced on you, you're sitting back. And it took me about the middle of summer when I remember, I think it was money Williams or Darvin Ham called me about something about training camp and I actually should training camp and it was like a week away. I hadn't even thought about it. That's when I knew, said, man, this is good, really good.
Speaker 4: So but you've been in the NBA how long though, now, like from playing to coaching.
Speaker 3: How many years you did?
Speaker 1: Damn forty forty plus more than half your life. But yeah, I'm sixty two. That's what I'm saying. You need this. You need.
Speaker 3: Raise your kids in it.
Speaker 1: My kids about NBA kids like, they all be in it. They've been in locker rooms, they've been in uh man, trying to road traveling. They got to you know, Austin got to play against y'all, which was the funniest thing of all time.
Speaker 3: That was that was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Austin being on the bus as a little kid coming to practice shooting around. The next thing, I know, I got an io with him at the top of the key.
Speaker 1: I said, him and him and Kevin score off in the game, and I'm thinking there, Austin was a little kid in the parade right right, yes, the parade man.
Speaker 2: That was probably one of the more odd situations, right because I looked at him and he said.
Speaker 3: I heard what he said, like, I said what you? I said what? And I caught myself like.
Speaker 2: What hey, what hey, chill out, It's good.
Speaker 3: How is he?
Speaker 1: How is it? You know he's doing TV now. It's great. He touched it once to play, but he loved what he's doing. So all good, all good, y'all. Look good you you you.
Speaker 4: You gotta be a proud dad. Just to have a kid make the n b A and see his progression to where he is now. I mean, you know, we got sons now, we're trying to him. My son is ten years old now. We wish it could be something like that. So I know that that's been an amazing feeling.
Speaker 1: It was cool. Coaching them was different. You know, the thing if you are coaching a kid facial in the NBA, you want them to be the worst player on the team or the best player. You do not want them to be in the middle because that creates that can create all kinds of stuff. But it's still you know when I had to trade him, thinking about I had to trade my son and uh that call, Like, I was emotional because man, I got a call to trade him and he saved me. He was like that, it's time for me to go, he said, but I got a chance to play with my pots and he said, nobody else can say that. He said later, We're gonna love this. So it was cool.
Speaker 3: How do you like your TV? Man?
Speaker 1: TV is great? You know what's funny. Before I coach, I did three years of TV. It really helped me because you know, when you're a player, you're in that system and you know that system, and so when you're a coach, you create your own system. Now I've coached so long, I had different had a system for y'all. It's one thing I did as a coach is I looked at what I had and fit and made the system fit that instead of just having the system, you guys got to work into that you know. So now I'm sitting back and I'm going to these practices and a lot of coaches are calling you, you know, for advice, and I wouldn't you know me, I wasn't one of those. When I was coaching, I wasn't talking to I wasn't having a conversation with a lot of coaches. I had a few friends, but I don't know. I grew up and then nine au career, so I didn't know. Everybody didn't want to I wanted to do I don't need to talk to you. But now I'm talking. I'm talking to coaches now I've never talked to like even never had a relationship with you. And it's been awesome. They asked you questions and and you know, so you're learning. I'm always learning always, you know, because it's just what you do. So that's been a really cool process. And some of the guys that didn't think I liked, I'm like, man, that's a good dude, really because you don't get a chance to know it any guys. And there's a you know, not saying and there's a few coaches I was like, man, this gots terrible. And now you're talking to him you're here his knowledge and you're like, man, it's amazing. So that it's been really good for me.
Speaker 4: I want to know something because like I think I've been around doctor long as as a player, and I know how he used to coach me. And like I watched towards the end of my career and the transition from like this era of players to the next, Like how how was that? Because I saw a different you come from the one that coached me to the one that coached like the next generation, Like how was that transition?
Speaker 1: You know, I've been in long enough and like.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say you coached me hard, coach hard?
Speaker 1: You coached me hard. Yeah we had some days. Yeah, we had some off days Paul, early on, you know, when I first took the job, and we're gonna be very good, but I thought you could be more efficient. And I came in and I said, Paul, you gotta play this way, and you're like, what are you talking about? I know you made it, but you can be better. I remember we had the conversation with about you were shooting like forty two and I asked you, Paul, you're a great shooter, and you said, yeah, I'm a great shooter. And I said, well, you're shooting forty two, so either you're a great shooter taking bad shots or you're not a great shooter. I'm a great shooter, then you're taking mad shots. Let's work on it and give Paul credit, like we button heads. And then remember you just walked in my office. You know what what you want to try.
Speaker 4: To do, We're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't me like I. I wouldn't. I wouldn't give in. I think you knew I was crazy enough. This guy ain't changing. So but you did it. But this is a different group. I've had three. When I first started, it was like a different group than by the time. Y'all different era of guys where you can really coach your group and this group is so much more sensitive because they have so much more stuff because social media. See, we didn't have that these guys every day. What was the first thing the books said after the Laker game with the non call? You know, I was on Twitter and everybody was saying me, like, because it's a different generation, these guys, there's people that the peripheral people now are involved. When we were you couldn't get involved when I played, think about my first eight years as a player. There's no such thing. I'm showing my age of a cell phone. That one. So when we got on the bus, we talked to each other. When y'all got on the bus, it was loud. You get on the bus. Now it is silent on the device. And so you come in in halftime. Now people are looking down and you walk in and I don't have a rule, but they know you shouldn't be on the phone. And always you know, uh, Sam can say always laugh, he said. The players that have no idea what you actually see and what you don't see, you know, because I see everything, you know, but you've got to act like you don't see it. But you know what they're doing now they're talking to their individual coach. They're talking to you know, and every coach, all these guys, I've met an individual coach who have ever called me about defense? You know. So that was the rule I made. I have one call me. You know, my guy needs to get most shots. And said, listen, first of all, you're that part of this team, you know, and we're going to do what we need to do for the techno win. I said, But here's our new deal. You can call me about the defense anytime. Anytime you think your guy needs to play harder defense, just give me a call. And I I never got on you don't hear that. But but but you gotta you gotta understand that though they are more sensitive because these guys are criticized more, there's more people. They read the comments, you know, they read the social media comments. That all of them have their own brand. No one had that, so it is different and you gotta be conscious of that. And there was times I failed on that because there's time they needed to be coached. And so even coaching like you you would tell you wouldn't come to me. You wouldn't say, man, uh, Tony needs to play, Paul needs to do this. You would say, Paul, you need to do this. This generation will come to you. The guys sit next to them and because they they don't communicate as well, and you can always see the teams that communicate will win and the teams that don't, well, you can visually see it and it's obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who got and Bonner, listen, anytime we're in a personal seting, I have to I don't even say it, but The whole thing was about Genobili.
Speaker 4: Right, the coaches here, Oh, this is the story.
Speaker 2: The whole thing was about Genobili. Right, we were God Genobli that night. We were there to stopping Genobili.
Speaker 1: Right, We're there to stop Genova first.
Speaker 3: So he was on the road.
Speaker 2: Four pick and roll. The three four pick and roll was the most famous because he popped right. I didn't have a rotator. We were chopping Genobili. I got no rotator. So Ricky Head was hitting. That's was the game playing, right it was. But okay, go ahead, I'll tell you a funny day. So we're at halftime and bottoms rolling right twenty and a half this time. So, but Genobi is under control of God.
Speaker 1: We're trying to control. But Sam will verify. I told Sam, I said, I'm gonna I'm gonna talk about Bonner. It's it's Kevin, right, But I said it already. Yeah, that's why I did it. I wasn't doing it for the more reasons. How he did it.
Speaker 4: Was also think about our team. We can go out and we can say it to each other before you had to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we hold each other accountable and said, like, who's who's gotten Bonner?
Speaker 2: He lost his mind? Was so I was like, okay, bottom old fun. He was like, Kevin, we're here to stop Youoba. Oh yeah, we're here to stop you get out of your field.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it then, don't say that. He'll know. I say, listen, we're gonna have to send some help on Bonner.
Speaker 3: Okay, don you know what I'm saying. It was all good.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we could laugh about that. But yeah, wait, I see Bonner next time. If you ain't any place hooping.
Speaker 3: I see you as By.
Speaker 2: Talking about calling the games now, one perspective out love is that when you're watching the sets, you like, I love hearing the commentator through how you're watching the game as a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm seeing it as a coach, and I'm trying to get people to see it that way. Like last night, Uh, New Orleans kept running the five four picking rolls and I was like, well, they keep running this, They're gonna keep getting a D and Lebron two best defenders, and you can see that and you need to go away from That's not gonna work tonight. But that was their bread and butter. But not against the Lakers. It just wasn't gonna work. So I try to show the fan that, uh, someone at the game to be a positive game. We got a great game. And I think it's so easy to criticize. And you know, like I'll say this something I've learned doing TV. Uh not learned, but you watch players differently. Ad would be a great example. You know, I've been watching them and I look at Ad now and I said, eighty's more pipping. And we don't understand that Ad won a national title scoring six points. He dominated defensive defensive And so I actually called Cal. I said, Cal, what what would you say to that? He said, that's who he is. He can score, he can pass, he does a lot of things great. But if you ask him what he wants to do every night, he wants to be the dominant defensive player. And so it kind of changed me a little bit. There are nights you still should dominate.
Speaker 4: You look at his ability. That's exactly he has the one A ability he does you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he did it in New Orleans. But now he's playing with the guy that is one A and he's like, you know what, I'm going to do? What it takes, So I have changed the there are knights you want him to be more aggressive, but it has changed me a little bit on that just just watching him.
Speaker 4: That's when you see those nights when you see him dominant, Yeah, taking the one a row. Yeah he's thirty eight and fifteen because Lebron is thirty eight thirty nine. I mean he has so much match Yeah, yeah, I need some of whatever. Hea that's the subject. But like when you see it, it's like it's like it's teasing you and you're like, man, you know he can do this every night. He could do the same things that in b does. He can do the same thing that Joker does. At the end of the day. If you was coaching him, you would tell him this his mindset. That was pretty much.
Speaker 1: You remember there was a game Cleveland and Cleveland playoff game, and I needed Kevin to be aggressive because Tony. The number was twenty and I kept I use the word twenty like forty times in the speech. I said, We're gonna have twenty this, twenty this, and the number was Kevin had to take twenty field goal. Yeah, man, I kept saying the word twenty to Finally you said, I got it man, I got it twenty But you know, that's what you have to do sometimes because Kevin. One thing I said about Kevin, you're so unselfish there were knights I had to remind you that you were because you did everything else. Uh. You know, you remember I'd say, moved the ball, and I yell it, you shoot the ball, and you said, he told me. I didn't tell that to Paul. Well, knew he used to tell me to move all He never had to tell that Paul, and Ray was a different.
Speaker 3: To tell that the ticket he had to tell that to.
Speaker 1: Me, Yeah, no doubt. Yeah, but you do have to. You just got to get get every guy on the team to understand the role for the team, not only for the team for the year, sometimes for that night. And that's the hardest thing about coach X. And it is easy, you know. I always felt I felt like in the time out, what I was gonna draw, wish going or we're gonna get a good I always felt very good about that. Uh. But getting guys at each individual player to buy into his role. And you know, everybody's not gonna get the row they want, but if you want to win, you have to do that. You're looking at all these teams right now and like, Noalkey, right now, they're gonna get it, but they ain't got it and you can see it, you can visually see it. It's gonna take time. Think about Giannie has played one way, Dame has played one way, and so they're gonna have to figure it out. And they're going to because I think they You got to be ready to win. And you know, remember that dug boat right where I told y'all give yall guys names. There's a lot of guys, you know, all of them trying to do is win. And I say, yeah, not really, you're trying to win as long as you get to do whatever you want to do. That's just not the case. What's the old saying the individual has to lose for the team to win. There's a lot of truth to that. You know that you got to give up something. And so when I'm watching them, you're watching all the new teams that are just put together, even Boston, and they're rolling when Brazilian's plays. But there's times Jalen you can see he's off kilt there at times. It just takes time.
Speaker 4: You know, Yeah, I understand that you got to lose one. I was taking nineteen shots. I went from nineteen shots to twelve shots a game. I was like, damn. Then you became were winning now.
Speaker 1: But it ain't easy, man, and for y'all, especially now, it's even harder. For y'all. It's hard because I don't care who you are when you go home, all your boys, all your friends. That we always called them the peripheral opponents because they are. Everybody outside the locker room is the opponent, including families at times, you know, including families, because all they're telling you. They're never gonna tell you what you need to hear. They're gonna tell you what you want to hear. And what they're gonna tell you is you need to shoot more. You ain't get enough shots. Think about every single player, it's saying, and then the guys who aren't playing, you need to play more, and to play more, you need to shoot more. I mean, that's.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 4: That was the one thing Doc you are great at was reminding us that, yeah, because you knew that as you were you as a player and as a coach, you understood that. And when y'all, when I used to hear you say that, like yeah, he right, we have to battle these these outsiders. We had to battle to outsiders. And when you constantly reminded us, it helped us out so much because when guys were coming too the locker room and feel a certain way and you bounced that off of us, they'd be like, look, it's it's bigger than that. It's about what's right here. And that was key. I swear that was key for us in our locker room. That kept it good.
Speaker 1: That you guys bought in. I mean, we had our days as a group. You know, No, this was after yeah, No, this was you know what I got after.
Speaker 3: We were got it got.
Speaker 1: It's so hard that that's when I seek people out that have wanted And Michael Jordan said to me, he said, this is gonna be your problem. It ain't gonna be uh after you were the Big three, It's gonna be everybody else. Because every single player on your team has gone away and had the trophy for a week or two and they were the man. When they come back, you're gonna have fifteen guys and think they're the man that it's gonna take you all year to get them to get back to who they are. That doesn't mean your roads don't grow. Like Rangos wrote, group you know at each year, you know, but that mean everybody's.
Speaker 4: I feel like I feel like that's what happened with the Draymond Pool situation. And I don't know, but like just seeing it the year after, just I felt like they wanted and then you know how guys came back and wanted a bigger role. I don't know for sure, but I bet you that has something to.
Speaker 1: Do with it, I think. And I don't know either, but I think you're one hundred percent right. You know what I'm saying, And you know what I've always learned. You guys know this when you don't hear a lot of comments on the team, you know they didn't everybody on the outside thought it was awful.
Speaker 3: You didn't have one player or upstairs nothing, So you.
Speaker 1: Knew there was something in there because I saw what us.
Speaker 4: But it's just because we kind of controller within ours didn't get out of control. I feel like, and I was like, I know, that's the first thing that.
Speaker 1: We had fights. There was stuff. That's what people like. That's the difference to now everything is seen, everything is known last night, then the in the Milwaukee game. After the game, one of the players went off and it was reported ten minutes after that that's how is that possible that that's that that can't get out. It's okay to have those conversations. We've had off, had heated conversations. It's part of growing, uh. But it's got to stay in house, and it's not staying in house with a lot of teams.
Speaker 4: That's one of the differences right there. That changed from our error to now. We always our stuff stayed in house. You always preached that, like nothing to leave here. Boy, We're gonna keep everything, handle everything in But now it's that's not the but.
Speaker 1: But things stay in house in Miami, things stay in house in San Antonio State. That was the first time that ever got out. Yeah, So you still got to protect your culture. And that's that's where I think if I struggled the most h once I left Boston. You know, I went to the Clippers trying to create a culture, went to Clippers, and that's why you realize how important like everybody employees. That's the first time, you know, I was always just the coach, and then I got the Clippers and I was trying to do everything, and you realize all those employees are underpaid, so they again loyalty for what you know, they're quitting the manager Pete Right, I've been there for thirty years making fifty The average is like, he's been there. Let me think about that. And so when you come in and you're talking to your employees, by we got a whole buy in, and they're like, for what I'm getting. Everybody's getting fired all the time with this organization. So you know, other than winning the championship, that was my biggest success is changing the culture with that group. And it took a long time, and you wasted you had to, You wasted a lot of equity trying to do it, but it was it.
Speaker 2: Was worth it, so worth it. I just wondered, Man, would you ever go into ownership whichever.
Speaker 1: I'd love to love to. I just need you to buy the team.
Speaker 3: I think there's one coming out here in Vegas.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Vegas, I was coming up your front office ownership. I you know, the one thing I did that you can't be a coach and a front of I did that for a year. That's a headache, right, you know, Lawrence rank Lass To this day, it was it was like game twenty and we're sitting on the bench doing the game and I turned to him and said, this is your last year coaching. And he's like, what I said, You're gonna be a GM next year.
Speaker 4: I'm done with this because he's.
Speaker 1: Doing the game it was and he was like, what are you? I said, no, this is it? This is nuts. I mean you're watching college guys talking to it's you know, I don't know. You know, people used to do it. Matt Riley did it, and Red did it, but the league's gotten too big to staffs are too big.
Speaker 3: So you know what, I don't understand that too big, too big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: Understand the role of the general manager anymore after because you got the general manager and then you got the president.
Speaker 1: So what's the role of the general Well, it depends on the group. You know. To be a great organization, there has to be a team. Danny and I like, you can go into Danny and say something about me without me not knowing. You know, Danny wasn't gonna tell Paul I'll do this and then come to me into Danny. When somebody came to Danny there, Oftentimes you just bring you let's go on down, Let's go sit with Doc. The other thing with Danny and Danny, I had some drag out arguments, then we go to dinner. We were always we covered for each other. When Danny made a bad draft pick, you never read that Doc wanted somebody else. Or when I said let's go with this guy, you never read that Danny wanted somebody else. I mean, Ronald was a great example. So Danny came in to me even for the year before the season, Hey, I want you to look at this tape with Rondo. And I looked at her. He can't play. This guy can't play. That's what I'm looking at. When I first saw Rondo, and then I kept looking and I said, man, this dude can he can? You know you start seeing it. Then I called all the coaches at Kentucky. The report wasn't very good, you know Rondo. So I'm worried, and Danny said, hey, you trust me. Yeah, we got it. And two days in the cameras, oh man, we got to steal. I mean, but no one knew that. Danny never said, hey, I always wanted them, you know, you know, and Tony's in the room, so I'm gonna bring this up. I was going to turn down the celt job because I just left Orlando. I wanted the year and Danny calls me and said, hey, can we talk and I said yeah, I said when he said now, said what do you mean now? He said, look outside your window? Then he just flew all the own up to Orlando.
Speaker 3: We're not asking me.
Speaker 1: He's ringing the doorbell, that's how. So he comes in and we're sitting there and I'm like, I said, the boss moved. It was cool. And we're sitting there and we're talking about college players and I said, I tell you the guy I love kid at Oklahoma State, Tony Allen, and the owners started laughing because then he had just said that. And then that made me say, oh, man, we're connected. That was that's true story. I said, we're connected because Tony was yeah.
Speaker 3: It was wold.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is my god man, And I was so cool because you know, some teams wouldn't have seen that, and I was like, man, we get this dude, and it was right. We were right.
Speaker 4: They was like, we need to get him tray Paul Piers and we'll be all right.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a credit because in a generation where everybody just wanted to leave, Kevin, you two, we had to beg you to leave. The best thing you did for us is say no, because we ended up with Ray. You and you had to say yeah first. It wouldn't have worked, but we had to make got trade first because you said no. We went to the draft and we draft. We ended up trading getting Rey Allen. So now we got Ray and Paul, now he want to come. Now this guy wanted.
Speaker 4: To now you want to get some cinnamon.
Speaker 1: To come? Yeah, okay, now you want to get some cinnama.
Speaker 3: I got Ray. I was like, it's just.
Speaker 1: Not something like and now you want to get some cinnamon. And I didn't think we can get him. And where's golfing me and Kevin McHale and Dan mc goffin. I'm in the cup with Kevin and we're trying to me Danny trying to figure anyway to get Kevin McHale to say, yes, we're working. But then Kevin told me, he said, Doc, you know what I want. Whoever is the youngest best big man in the league. You know that that's all I need and we can get that, and we can just figure out I was like, oh, we didn't give me gard that because we had out and I'm thinking that was the best young big man at the time. So when he said that, I remember driving the golf cart like we getting all three guys. That's what I was thinking. I told we're getting him and I said just and he was like, who who do we give up? He said, tell him to name him. But we had a list of guys you couldn't touch, couldn't touch Tony, couldn't touch Rondo, Uh, Perk. We needed. We knew exactly what we want.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, I asked for those exact guys.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: I said, Because whenever I think I said this to you, I said, I said this to you too. I said, man, I'm looking to play with the team I'm used to playing against. And whenever I played against those guys, but t Raife p t A Perk, I always felt like I got the best team because I watched film. You know, I'm watching two three games coming to the game. So I was like, man, every time I played Perk, every time.
Speaker 4: I played, got into it. This is what happened.
Speaker 3: They got it so much.
Speaker 4: They did it in the game getting here before and I didn't know that was a locker room.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know is that I was like a big bro without being a big bro. Yeah, and I didn't know big fella came out of high school. I didn't even know none of this. Right, But in the evening with my young fella, right.
Speaker 4: Look, when we traded for him, he called me like walking like he's like, what's a big person?
Speaker 1: Thinking I'm thinking ticket, thinking he might have to go.
Speaker 3: Hands with him.
Speaker 1: Because I wanted to get understanding with Himore.
Speaker 2: I came in here and then whatever we had to get out the way, let's to get it out the way, big fella, because I want you to know I'm a different type of teammate.
Speaker 3: That's show, That's what it was. They never played with like me. He was like, hold on, a big follow. You didn't be I don't give none of that. I'm talking about the locker room.
Speaker 2: And I was, man, we're gonna be like and I was starting to implement on what we're gonna be like now I'm on defense. I talked like this and purpose like oh for really, Yeah, he didn't talk how to communicate.
Speaker 1: You know what. My favorite practice was the first practice in Rome because y'all got lit up the second year that destroyed your.
Speaker 3: Yeah any house.
Speaker 1: And I was funny the two things that happened. Tibbs had never you know, I spent some time with Belichick and Tony Dunjee that summer and they were, you know, the offense and defensive coordinator. I've never done that, and so I told Tims you can be the defensive coordinator and he's like, okay, but he didn't know. I meant like, no, you do run it so you don't remember this. But at the beginning of the practice, Tims start talking. I left the gym and Tims is looking around, like where's he going? Where's he going? You know, I'm sitting in the hallway listening because I just needed y'all to understand it's TIB's voice, it's not my voice. And Tim's at the present. Bro. You know, Bro, you can't do that. Just can't leave the gym, I mean, and I was like, you know, what's so? You know because you started doing that all year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now, when we had shoot around, you would lead and Tims and the scout.
Speaker 1: That was on purpose because I was like, Okay, if I'm there, y'all gonna look over at me and I trying to look at Tims. I thought it was really important we.
Speaker 2: Hold over him. We were like, the damn Tims. First thing to do is go right into a drill. Okay, let me get two guys away, two guys in the bucks. We're gonna tell five girl like, man, what the fun were looking around? Come on, man, man, you will leave and we're starting.
Speaker 4: Ticket used to be this man used to be in.
Speaker 1: There were about ten different times where I was about to open the door because I can hear it, and then I was like.
Speaker 3: No, no, we ain't doing that. That's true.
Speaker 4: Let's ticket, man, are you son it this way? We're gonna run it this wife Tims wouldn't back down. That's what the thing.
Speaker 1: That's where I didn't know. I'm like at the door, I need to go in. And then the other part of that first practice, Paul caught a foul and I was roughing and it wasn't a foul, but I wanted to see what the second unit would do because usually the second units and pose like Post like no, no, no, file, it ain't no found in posts. It's a file. Posts grabbed the ball and they involved and kept playing and I was like, oh, we're gonna be good.
Speaker 3: After that first passion, I got back to the joint.
Speaker 2: You know, usually go back to each man. Paul can't hit the door. We went downstairs, you know training count. You lay down, and we went down to have lunch.
Speaker 3: We shitt.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't really do this on training count, but man, sorry, that ship looked at man.
Speaker 3: That shit looked cry that she looked creit.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: He was like, he had a ball hitting. We all went ball, went ball.
Speaker 1: Went ball, and then Rondo and the second unit the second year. The next day y'all destroyed them. It was like it was competitive competitive. You know. One thing you're talking about Lebron, You remember Lebron early in his career was he was he was a great player, but he wasn't a student. Like it's amazing. I think when he got traded to Miami, we had an exhibition game and Lebron started calling our sets.
Speaker 2: He started calling the sets like Rondo, he's coming up to whatever, we're gonna switch this.
Speaker 1: And right when he did that, I don't think it was Tips and my Ben Tips.
Speaker 3: No, it was I remember this. I remember I remember the situation.
Speaker 1: Whoever was our assistant coach. I turned around said, oh boy, we in trouble.
Speaker 2: He was doing he was They was emulating everything we was doing. We were doing calling you remember they had the big long gash football players thirty one two side twists.
Speaker 1: I was like, and when he started calling our sets out, Tony Hill was coming over here he comes fall were switch. This was like, Oh my gosh, Lebron, it's become a student checked out. And now when you're watch him now, it's like he's playing chess and playing it's ridiculous not watching him. His brain has evolved to where he's at. It's amazing. He didn't always have that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why he's still dominating forever.
Speaker 1: Right now, when you watch I watched it watching him, he's moving two steps earlier before they passed it.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. You've never seen nothing like this. Like, I don't even care what he's twenty one years in and just I'm looking at his movies. I'm thinking, like, by the time I got to my fifteenth year, I was like, it was it was hit or miss, How its gonna feel getting out of bed fifteen? She was hit her missing my big toe was gonna work that day? Or my ankle or.
Speaker 1: Something with Jim Credie puts it all. He worked and you know, energy levels crazy and I hate to go uh de bait. You know, I'm a Michael guy. I know, but that doesn't mean anything bad about Lebron. Bron's gonna have the greatest career ever. It's no doubt he's gonna have a goat career. But as far as for me, the single players, Mike, but it doesn't matter that makes Lebron bad. I don't know why I feel like you say one that means you're putting down the other one. They're both amazing.
Speaker 4: We used to be in the locker room and you know, the new younger guys they like, man, Lebron's the best player ever, Like, don't would tell you that, would for show tell you that, But they ain't see you know what I'm saying, black, Mike, And it's always gonna be that from generation generation, even when you hear Kareem speak or or when Bill Russell used to say that, it's just like.
Speaker 1: Thinking Bill Russell exactly. It was a Bill Russell guys. You know it's funny with Austin growing up, I was Austin like Lebron's you know, and I would send him video and I sent him also the bill like two weeks ago, and it takes all right there, I get it, all right, got it, m J was the best Send me back. But it's a fun debate. But I just hate that when you do it, people think you're putting down one guy the other.
Speaker 2: I think they both transcended the game in a different way. Obviously, we've never seen someone have thirty nine thousand points sixty six thousand minutes on the goddamn floor.
Speaker 3: We put tim into this game.
Speaker 2: We know when I'm watching the thirty eight year old have more energy than twenty ones, twenty two year olds, twenty nine year olds. He is arguably the most is everything on the floor. So that's what I'm looking at. I don't want to be in two twenty three watching something of the past. I want to be in two twenty three watching something of the future. And that's what I'm embracing. That the passpening right now. Man, listen, this happening Domin.
Speaker 4: You know what the scary thing y'all I think about too, I'm like, damn, like when Lebron go like, who's gonna be that face, who can really carry the torch? Somebody went from Jordan and I think in the early two thousands it was multiple players. You know, it was Kobe committment, committed committee, and then Lebron took over. So so now I'm looking like, damn.
Speaker 1: Lebron and Steph. I don't think we give Steph enough credit because Steph is as much of a game changer as anybody in our lifetime. Like you go to au game, now, ain't nobody dunking? Remember you go to a game noway and took a jump shot? Everybody was you go to the game people, everybody, that's the one dude. We don't give him enough credit anybody. He's one of the most titles of that group. They're watching him now still and Durant now the three oldest players are dominating.
Speaker 4: But see what the kids do. They say, I can be Steph because I can't beat Durant because I'm not growing the seven feet, i can't beat the Lebron because I'm not gonna be six eight in buff But kids looking say, I can probably be his Steph. You know, six two six three and can shoot really well and move it out the ball. That's that's it's not realistic really, but like they're not gonna be the great, but it's more realistic.
Speaker 1: But they ain't gonna put in the time. You know, Steph Man, he he's a machine. He works and you know, listen, all y'all, it's no think about every team you played on. You were the best player on your teams, but you're also with the hardest worker on your teamers. That ain't a coincidence. Ray Allen was our best shooter, right who took the most shots if you counted the entire time we were at together, who took more shots than Ray? I remember thinking, okay, you want to be a better shooter, but the better shooter taking more shots and practice. You know, there's a Tiger Woods store. I was golfing with like three other professional golfers and I'm not gonna use their name, but we're golfing and Tiger Woods was on the range. We finished golfing. He's still on the range. Now that's where hours later we go eat. Is now a porn rain storm, I mean in Orlando and there's no one there except for Tigers on the range hitting balls in the rain. Because the British Open was in a week and a half and he thought it may rain, so he had to play through it. I called one of the guys, I said, catch you a question. Uh, Tiger Woods is the best player, right, it's okay, yeah, by far? You know it's the best, maybe the best in history. And I said, you think he works out out works everybody on tour. He said, yeah, man, he outworks all of us. I said, okay, now he's number one. Now he's out working you. Now, how can you ever catch him? Like when you think about it, When I started thinking about that with shooters, with ball handlers like these guys, I don't think guys understand how hard it is to be great, and everybody wants to be great, and then when they get the job, like when the number one player's gone for a week or two, they realize, oh I want this job. This is hard, you know. So it's it still comes down to the work ethic.
Speaker 2: I know you have a love for coaching. I know that this break is great. Could you ever see yourself in any capacity coaching again?
Speaker 3: On the stuff, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Kevin. It's got to be the right. They would have to be a perfect situation.
Speaker 3: I know one thing I don't mean they won't define perfect.
Speaker 1: Perfect means we have to have eight team in the front office. You have to be on the same path. I know where not going. Yeah, you can't be. I can't me.
Speaker 4: I'm going to see him in San Antonio.
Speaker 1: And pop no, no, no, no, no, no, that's what being y'all gonna be developed.
Speaker 4: No, he's gonna be ready to go.
Speaker 1: I think I know where you're going.
Speaker 3: Now, look, bring a team to it. Now, they bring a team the mall.
Speaker 1: I'm coaching that.
Speaker 3: Job. Give me the pepper down job, the mail waves.
Speaker 1: We would be unbelievable. But no, it's like it's so important for you. You just can't do your job as a coaching our NBA. Now if you can't, you know what do they say? Culture happens when you turn your back when you're not in the room.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: If I can't leave a room and feel good, Yeah, then you can't work. And so you have to have that and you gotta be on the same page. Man, it's too much for you not to be. You want to win, you better be, So that would be my answer. If not, TV, I'm gonna play a lot of bad golf because I talk about golf people. I'm really good.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get out there with We're.
Speaker 3: Gonna get an invitation. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Now that I'm here, y'all get me kicked out of a club.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you wear the right stuff.
Speaker 3: We're the right man.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm coming with Etniaquette.
Speaker 3: I'm coming. I'm gonna have my whole outfit.
Speaker 2: I may leave my golf game in the car, but I'm coming. Happens, whatever happens, we're bringing play best ball to I don't want to play all that like my ball over here.
Speaker 3: Okay, who got the best Okay, drop right here right here.
Speaker 2: That means that's not that's golf. How we're gonna start off start off like this and didn't get good? War because Bro think he beating me and I'm bad at watch Bro, You're.
Speaker 4: Not bad than that golf. You just bro you that that golf text. Man, listen to my ship together from the hood.
Speaker 3: You've been going to golf. Believe Lord, I've been going to golf.
Speaker 4: Take I got I'm gonna go with Paul and the golf.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 1: They got the same birthday right now to what I'm locked in to.
Speaker 2: What working out locked, locked this man up, man and whatever nigga. Like we were saying, see, this is what I had to deal with, Like, hey, you don't know what I'm doing, this is this is the time out right, man, Come on right there, I want right here, right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's what I want to show when I came to timeouts. And let's say one time out in every game I went to Paul one time, I go to Ray one time. What would y'all think when it what y'all?
Speaker 3: So let me say this real ship, let me go first.
Speaker 2: At no point did we ever envy who shot it, because we had the belief in all three of us as.
Speaker 3: Long as it was all three of us. Real ship.
Speaker 2: A probably posed because Poe's been there, right, But we felt the we felt the responsibility to take the big shots and make the big decisions, you know what I'm saying. So if it came from p and I had, you had to be ready if it came from me rap And that's how I can honestly say we never are We never talked about having any issues with who I did.
Speaker 4: I remember God drew up a play one time and I had no involvement in it. And you know, I didn't make some game winners, but he drew up the right play. I remember it was in Philly. I'll never forget it. He drew a play for for for a law for you.
Speaker 3: I remember the shando and I wasn't if.
Speaker 4: I was like over here in the corner and I was just like, I'm not even in the play. But it worked, you know when it just like yeah, But you know, it was the most satisfaction for me just to have those teammates when I used to see you make a game winner or or the pressure wasn't on me no more like when I see Ray hit hit the shots, and it was just like for me to watch.
Speaker 1: That my favorite place. There's a couple of them. One was a love for Rondo against Miami.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: One was we ran up. I was at the AU game.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe the bales man that day. I'm like, I'm taking up the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah I can.
Speaker 4: I can make free throws down a stretch. I can make a shot, but I'm taking the ball out.
Speaker 1: Remember the time line, I said, ball, can you make this pass? I can make it pass, but you were thinking I need the ball. We also ran against Cleveland playoff game. I was at the AU game and I think it was Austin's and Jeremiah c when Ice cl play and then we drew it up in practice. We ran it and to scored twice. But we got the time out and you said, let's run high school. I was like, no, come on, coach, let's run high school. And it's two times this happened. I'm telling you all now. Uh so I I draw it up, and I remember sitting on the bench and this is what we draw up. It ain't gonna work. Were running the high school play, I actually said, but they wanted to run it, and sometimes as a coach, you go with it.
Speaker 3: August he just walked into the layout.
Speaker 1: And then the other one was we scored on the three with Ray against Philadelphia the year before and you all four, y'all, you run the right y'all said it. We're in the time out and I drop another play and run this. Let's let's run the same play we ran against him last year. I said, we can't run the same play that we ran against the team last year. It's not gonna work. And all y'all, oh, it's gonna work. I came to the time out and that time I was, Sam remembered to Sam might big coaching my year. I was literally like I wrought to the huddle on TIMS. I said, man, this is the dumbest thing I've ever done as a coach.
Speaker 3: So what you mean?
Speaker 1: I said, were running the same play, it's not gonna work. And Ray was so and it was so wide open. And it's funny how the real story the media they think we're y'all are celebrating, but y'all.
Speaker 3: Appointing at me.
Speaker 1: We told you who he told you, and y'a was so happy to be right.
Speaker 3: That work. You know it didn't work, man.
Speaker 4: You know that's the beauty, Like just like with Doc because like we can go into the time out and he'll listen to the players, and I think, I think that's an involvement of a coach, you know what I'm saying, because sometimes you know, the coach gonna do everything, but when he listened to us sometimes it's just that's what made.
Speaker 1: That came from y'all listening to me. Listen, y'all let me coach, y'all. Yeah, so I had to. If you allow a coach to coach you, you're gonna give the play everything.
Speaker 4: They beat time out. It beat timeouts, were going to the time out and Rondo will dropped the play. He'd be like, all, I gotta play doctor and Rondo of a drop a play and Doc.
Speaker 1: Is the only player with CP a little bit. But Ron was the only guy. Remember had play ship. Yeah he's the only guy. But do two play sheets and I would get run the one before the game. And it was amazing. Man, that dude is the smartest, best his brain. Yeah, he was coming to time out and I'm like, fifty two twists. He's already doing it with his mouth. He knows what we're running.
Speaker 4: He was hard players, but the other team plays you shocked.
Speaker 3: He's not in coaching, he will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just too smart. Now he ain't gonna be the most patient coach because he's still when I first came in, that's what you learned, coach patients and big picture. You got to still in the big picture. Like you know, the other night, New Orleans get blown out. You know that's a game. You say, all right, guys, go to the restaurant, go have a good time to night in Vegas. I'll see you tomorrow. And then there's times when you're winning which you always notice. That's what I was on mind when we lost. I was not off well, we start winning too much. That's when I got rough because I can feel y'all walking around with your shades on. Here we're about to go to a bad place. And that's when I got on y'all. Yeah, so y'all, I love it. I used to love when you actually gave us a chance. We would come and Doc was sit right here. We wouldn't even say nothing, and this all five of us will.
Speaker 3: Be in the uproar.
Speaker 2: We'd be aregon, commensating with whatever, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: They didn't. He like, you're okay, y'all finished, y'all done, okay, cool, just what we're doing.
Speaker 2: That was to me, that was that was that was the icing on the cake, because we had to be able to interact the deal and each other allowed that.
Speaker 3: He allowed us to be us.
Speaker 2: We didn't have to be someone else, and every guy in this and in this was himself. I didn't feel like I was getting another form of t A. I thought that I was another form of baby or another form of dog. I felt like all of us was who we are and we were. He allowed you to be yourself.
Speaker 1: I remember one in Indiana.
Speaker 3: That probably been the roughest night of all of it.
Speaker 1: That was, it's the game and you and Brandon Bass about to fight. I'm sitting there, Kevin is yelling me, you were get involved, you were get involved, and I'm trying.
Speaker 2: I was trying to have the coaches stay out of it, and we were trying to resolute.
Speaker 3: And then the locker room just went But I.
Speaker 1: Sat there and I waited, and then ray and Paul I mean Raying run will start getting into it. But I got to do the media. So y'all don't even know this. So y'all arguing, but I got to go out and do the meetings outside the door. When I so remember i left the room. I could hear you still fighting and arguing. And I walk out to the media and I said, listen to her.
Speaker 3: We won this game.
Speaker 1: We're in there fighting. And I walked out to the media and I said, listen to her. Guys best celebrating, I said, And I said, this is the most wonderful team you know, and they're in there fighting. Get it.
Speaker 3: We're just about to be the.
Speaker 1: So I actually said, I'm not gonna let you in right away. I'm gonna go back in and celebrate with the guys, and I had to go back in and break up the fights. And the media never found out. No one ever found out, and it got squashed. But you know those things that that's part of families. It really is. Man As a coach, I've had some crazy I gotta change the names. I'm gonna have to Beau. The coach takes it the hardest. Y'all don't realize that because you always think like I got y'all to play together and work together. But when you can't get two to work together, you can't win, and people don't understand that you can be as good as you want. Always look back on the Clippers team, if we had had cooperation, we had it the first year we just lost all right, But then you didn't happen anymore with each other, not just with coach player player. If you think you're gonna win without that, isn't that with the one thing y'all learned more than anything, like you can't win without. And for me as a coach, I don't understand why players can't see it, like you gotta get along, you gotta get up.
Speaker 4: You got when I got to the Clippers. That's when I saw the changing dynamic of the league because I got there and me coming from where I came from with the subjects how we was all together. And I remember our first I'll never forget our first role game. And we had breakfast and so I go into the breakfast room and everybody's sitting at different tables and I was looking like, what.
Speaker 1: You mean, I mean you might have CP over here, Blake over here. I mean, it was like so spread out.
Speaker 4: I never seen nothing like it.
Speaker 3: To wear us.
Speaker 4: We gonna come and say that one or two tables and talk about what we did last night or the facts of the day.
Speaker 3: You know, we're gonna conversation what we gotta do tonight.
Speaker 1: Also, if you had a function, yeah, everybody, everybody. We had team dinners that I threw everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was it was just it was hard, dude.
Speaker 4: I seen I seen it for the first time and I was like, I ain't used to this, you know. And then they hurd around side. I said, I brought everybody in at the table when I was like, y'all got to be together, sit together, you know. Chris Chris Paul had a charity event and it was only like two of his teammates there, and I looked like I've never seen it. I went off the next day and like that if you have something you had to you had to say that. You have to say it over and over, and we never had. And I was like, this is time for me to retire.
Speaker 1: Say I got the Philly same stuff, you know, And and that's where, like, you know, we get into ourselves. I'm busy. I remember one of the places. Man, I'm busy. I got that's like, is it too want to go? I didn't want to go?
Speaker 4: Do you think I want to?
Speaker 1: You know, Kevin and Paul having a big bowling You think I want to go bowling on Thursday night? No, but they're having it, and so it's part of sacrifice you go. And that's what you know. Being in the uh you know with my daughter uh marri up, you kind of hear Steph and then talk about that's what they have. It's Steph so something. Everybody's there, jerremand does something. Everybody. Those are the teams that win. It's no point indent like when is not an accident. It's either either you buy in or you're not. You'll be good, You'll win a lot of games, but you ain't gonna be the winner. I love it, man, you like this year. I'm about to say who. I don't know who you got to win it? I don't know right now, I really don't. I think Boston in Milwaukee. I think Philly is a sleeper.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: They are because Joel is he is people. I mean, I coach him. He is. He's as good as I've ever seen. They're dangerous. And then there's always another team, Miami. Miami is always there. In Indiana, you better be careful. I would like Indiana you should beat in the playoffs, but I would not want to play them in the play Orlando and they're deep, deep. And that was about to say one thing I about these young teams Indiana in Orlando, they got dogs. Okay, okay, see in the West, Shay, Yeah, I mean, listen, I was part of it.
Speaker 4: What you think about that?
Speaker 3: You don't become Shade.
Speaker 1: If he stay on the Clippers, he.
Speaker 3: Does, he does, he does.
Speaker 1: That's Sam. You can ask Sam. When we did the trade. I told Sam, I said, man, I know we gotta do this trade, but but Shay is gonna be a superstar.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can see it early, you can. Superstar had a great rookie year. And the other thing he has is character. He's a high character kid. He works, he wants to be coached, he wants like, he invites coaching, and he's gotta like people get Shay wrong. Shae's a dog like. He's got this nice, you know, demeanor, but he is a dog like. He wants a tear, but he doesn't smiling. Then say wants to rip you up and you can see it. But now when I look back, oh my goodness, the six first round picks. Damn, holy goodness.
Speaker 3: Wow are you are you worried about Golden State? Any doc?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I am. You know, it's just like us towards the end, you gotta break this up. But they still could. They may make her twenty ten run. You know, I know one thing. Do you want to play go stand in the playoffs? No? No?
Speaker 3: And guess what No.
Speaker 2: Klay Thompson going through probably arguably his worst time, right, Yeah, I really believe this.
Speaker 3: You do not stay in this way for too long and at some point you come.
Speaker 1: Out of it.
Speaker 3: I'm about like you.
Speaker 2: They are one of them wounded animals that you don't want to see and I think they're gonna be better the second.
Speaker 1: Half of Clay Draymond is stilled. Draymon, Steph is still Steph. Wiggy is better. All right, Clay is not going to be the Clay that he was because of injury. Still shoot the hell out of the ball and he'll find his rhythm there. You know, they may need one more guy, and I don't know who that's gonna be. But man, I would not want to play them in a seven game series. They're gonna be if I'm a young team, I don't want to play that. No, no, No, Phoenix is the team though, man Like they're they're built to win. They just haven't looked good yet, you know, but they're but they've had injury. You know, the book gets hurt because of his style. Books are physical and then Bradley ain't played yet and I'm worried about his back. So h But when you think about that, and then you have Gordon coming off the bench, and they're they're built to win. So if they get it right, they're gonna be tough. But at the end of the day, still got to deal with that dude in Denver. He's the best player, right now, yeah, because he just does everything. Joel is the best score Like for Joker, Joel is the only guy that can stop Joel from school. You can't stop you know he is. He can do everything. But but the Joker man, it just makes everybody better. They run, they run, the offense, just throw him the ball, you know. Austin we laugh awesome to this day, says he ruined the worst pass in the history of the game.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He said he was cutting through, just talking through. The ball came and he caught it. But he's on the room he hit it, and he said he watched the highlights how he saw it where he sees I was talking to Bruce to day, he was like, man, it's nothing like it. And that's what makes him so good.
Speaker 4: He's one of the most dominant selfless players that ever ever, Like you don't see a big g be so selfless but still so dominanting.
Speaker 1: We am talking about like the West is gonna be the West playoffs just gonna be crazy. It's gonna come down the matchups. People don't.
Speaker 4: I think there's no clear favorite. I think the style is gonna make the fight. They have to play them or they have to play them.
Speaker 1: That's going to do. There's certain teams that are maybe the best team, but they can Clippers.
Speaker 4: Clippers are playing better.
Speaker 3: I said.
Speaker 1: That all yeah, the Clippers, Uh, they're just so talented they are wild card. H I agree with that with the Clippers if they figured that little thing out. Because still Kawi people sleep on him.
Speaker 4: I feel like Paul George is taking the lead. He has scoring for sure. And then James.
Speaker 1: What James has added to them is now they have Zoo browling, so they have a pick and roll James.
Speaker 4: If you roll, you can get decisions.
Speaker 1: The question will be will he feel enough for them to win because last year the Clippers were a defensive team in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: In a finals picks, Finals picks, who you got?
Speaker 1: I got?
Speaker 4: I got Celtics versus Phoenix?
Speaker 3: Who you got?
Speaker 1: You's tough. I'm between Celtics and Boston and the Milwaukee and I'm not sure I'm gonna go with the Celtics. But that's a tight one. It's it's uh. And then I got I got Denver coming back. They do miss Brown. They missed both of those guys.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like they're like there're be there are champs but they're being slept on.
Speaker 1: But they were slept on last year. Yeah, and Murray has been out. I just got back.
Speaker 4: But I don't feel like that. You know, in the past, you're like, all right, the team that wanted that next year, you're like they I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were better than next year. Yeah, that's what I feel like. He didn't get hurt. I think we're twenty six and three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other day, Yeah, we're we're we're down.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of teams that the next year that the year we should have went to and then the year we asked Shaq that that's start.
Speaker 1: You know, people forget like that's we I think we were like fifteen and one. In the game Ship played in. He was just too old, couldn't play anywhere.
Speaker 3: His presence alone was yeah, oh man, he was good.
Speaker 1: And I remember the one practice where you put Jack Shack one of the change coverages and Kevin says, is, Shaq, this is what we do.
Speaker 3: He got what we do. We got right.
Speaker 1: We ain't change it. Remember, give shack Shack was like That's what I knew. He was on board because he was like, OK, we're gonna do it this way, this way. You know what's funny about Shaq. I haven't been around Shack my whole life. Right coached against him, played against the one game. I never knew that this is a crazy state. I never knew how big he was because I've never around him. And you remember, he wanted to play with us. So he said, hey, coach, O, can I drive over your house? It was in Orlando. I said, yeah, going over the house, let's talk. He pulls in the in the semi truck, which I made him park on the street. I said, they ain't bring that big thing in my driveway, ripped my driveway up. He's a purpose thing, no Superman logo. But then he gets out and I opened the door and I'm looking at him Shot and I'm like, Ship is a big dude, you know, like you forget trust me? I do I know because you have to play.
Speaker 4: Because when we sat on the bench, Sho sit with don't see we all here like.
Speaker 1: Slide down man. If Shot is he just couldn't stay healthy. But if he could have stayed healthy, damn, which tells you how good.
Speaker 2: He was because he was his presence, like yeah, thanks for coming through.
Speaker 1: Was awesome, awesome, by the time, you'll have me on y'all show. I'm like, y'all got Tony Allen on the show, Rondo on the show, was Edy House on the show. Now you can have Eddie on.
Speaker 3: He got two sons coming out. Boys. I've been watching this wasting good fan Yeah.
Speaker 1: They really. I love watching all y'all coaching now, it's hilarious. I love watch watching everybody games. You know, the craziest moment of the team when I thought you're gonna get hurt. I swear you're gonna get hurt. When you were gonna arm wrestle Big Baby. Listen, that was nuts.
Speaker 3: I believe Big Baby, my dog, the only one who believed in me.
Speaker 1: Right here.
Speaker 4: You know, look, I think you get hurt no wrestling, I said, bet, I'm the only one that bet with him.
Speaker 1: But you didn't believe that.
Speaker 3: No I did.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what so this one. So this is what you're looking So this what you don't that is not stronger than the baby. I'm not saying this. We will, we will, we will.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: We would go to the weight room in the morning. In the morning, you used to be the jungle and we watched Big Baby and Leon pold one thirties twenty five. I take my little one fifteens and I'm like, okay, man, the guys a ticket growing it gets And that's what rum me. When I saw how everybody jumped over, I was like a word.
Speaker 1: He was the funniest thing. I was in the front and Randell came and got me. Y'all never knew that coach, Coach, you may get back to. I said, for what Kevin the big baby about to have him. I'm russell, Kevin will get hurt, coach. And when I was sawing, I'm like, this dude's gonna get hurt. I thought big Baby would just go And I tell you I used that a speeches now about will really, because there's no reason big Baby shouldn't win. That Kevin starts staring.
Speaker 3: At I told you doubt earlier. He's we slapped.
Speaker 4: I selected you don't even know it stayed right here, listen, it's not right for about five minutes, yes, and then he waited till.
Speaker 3: Baby got tired. You know, none of this, big fellow, Big fella, just say what you want.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 3: All ship were moving, big fella, all ship, big fella.
Speaker 1: This movie, he's wating ritching.
Speaker 3: I'm like, let's go. This was uh.
Speaker 1: We're having a team meeting and Joel as Sam can say, what was the biggest athletic feat you ever seen? It's oh, no, that's easy. And I'm thinking he's gonna say, donc He said, Kevin Garnett, big big baby in ar wrastl And I was like what, And then I thought about it. He said it was impossible. But when you see you.
Speaker 4: See the hands together because big Baby got this big.
Speaker 2: Old hand, big we shlopped like this. Yeah, and then we ain't got no shirt on. We sweat.
Speaker 3: It was some gorilla ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We turned the plane into a zoo.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Danny came out to talking with me about it. I said, listen, the media is in the locker room, so they never get a time to ourselves, to themselves. So I said, I'm just gonna let them play music. I'm gonna let them turn the wild Zone or whatever. So I'm just gonna let them turn up the plane into nutty was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: Card It was the Junker, but then we lockey. That's oh, I got I gonna go work man.
Speaker 4: I gotta about man with you today.
Speaker 3: Thank y'all. Man, it's been perfect with that