Speaker 1: I'm Lisa and Akazawa join me on season two of Stars and Stars with Lisa, where I sit down with some of the most exciting stars of our time to find out what their birth chart reveals about their life's purpose, their relationships, and their challenges. Winner of the Signal Award for Most Inspirational Podcast, Stars and Stars will help you make sense of today's complicated times. Even if you're an astrology skeptic. You can listen to Stars and Stars with Lisa wherever you get your podcasts. Don't forget to follow the show so you never miss an episode.
Speaker 2: Dear, let you know us say listener. Hey, So, we recently brought you episode one of our critically acclaimed series Loud The History of Reggaeton. The ten part series is a collaboration between our own Futuro Studios and Spotify. It's hosted by none other than La Rena la cata Evy Queen, one of the originators of regedton, and we're so happy to be able to share this series with you again because well, for some time there, Loud disappeared from our feed for reasons beyond our control, but you all demanded that we bring Loud back and we hurt you. The full series is now available for you to stream and enjoy. So tell everybody you know, your friends, your familia, and share the great news, of course, on all of your social media that Loud is back. Before we get into today's episode, just a heads up there is some strong language and some mature content. All right, here we go from Vuduro Media. It's Latino USA. I'm Maria Josa. Today we bring you the Nueva Your Connection, episode two of our hit series Loud The History of Reggaton and now I'm passing the mic to Ladiva herself, Ibi Queen.
Speaker 3: Previously on Loud and Lenard is like the blueprint.
Speaker 4: He was crazy on the stage.
Speaker 5: He could I say something on the black heaed Vix Pressley and today was just screaming.
Speaker 4: He's considered the father of Reggaeton. He said, I'm going to America. I said to him, you know what, you better perform and do it. You know he's the one that took it to the next level.
Speaker 6: He blew up.
Speaker 7: It's nineteen eighty five, nineteen years old. At Galdo Franco or Frank is a TOAs Skinny Kid getting on a plane from Panama City to New York to study business administration.
Speaker 8: Hello Genio via iithermin Em Carrera, the Ama.
Speaker 4: In Panama.
Speaker 7: He and his friends have started seeing Jamaican dance hall and Regaan Espannon in Panama. They were had their music was playing on the buses and in the club.
Speaker 4: Up in the air.
Speaker 7: Frankie, you imagine he's leaving all that behind, the parties, the attention, the chance to be an artist. It was time to get serious, get a real profession. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to j l game. The local time is seven y two a m. At the temperature is sixty two degrees.
Speaker 4: New York was a whole new remo.
Speaker 7: Frando, the hustle and muscle that don't give a fuck attitude to say. In New York City, you got to be on your game, Lasa tea. Frankito was holding down three.
Speaker 4: Jobs just to get by music. All in the fast pace New York life.
Speaker 7: There was some time for music. He started to forget about it. But soon, you know how it is, music will pull him back in. Because what Franquito maybe didn't count on is that he had just landed in Lacuna the dance Hall, Brooklyn from Spotify and Photolo Studios. I'm in between and this is loud The History of Reggaeton Episode two, The Nueva or Connection. This episode, we're talking about New York City because New York esna meskla te Gambio.
Speaker 4: It's an exchange.
Speaker 7: And in this story is where Bodriqua's Panamanians and Jamaican we all vibe and learn from each other's music. I'm going to tell you how immigrants from Panama in Brooklyn took reggae and dance on and Espanon to the next level.
Speaker 4: If Jamaican music produced in New York performed by latinos, so it's hard.
Speaker 7: And how both dance well and hip hop from New York City traveled to my Isla Alecando and think how New York became the crossroads that made reggedon possible. Franqito like most black Panamanians settled in Central Brooklyn, which includes neighborhoods like Crown Heights and Flat Bush. The area is like the West Indian United Nations. Black immigrants from all over the Caribbean lived there. Jamaica, Trinida, It.
Speaker 4: And the dancehold regga scene in Brooklyn West popping.
Speaker 3: Like in Panama, you get a little bit of it, but when you came over here it was more in it.
Speaker 7: You know, this is Exxenia and she's someone I am very excited to introduce you to.
Speaker 3: I'm Exena Nikes named La Trevida.
Speaker 7: Latrevida means the root Girl. We never met, but she's the first female artist of Elmovimiento. Is Una Bionda de Verda and she got the name brook Girl for a reason.
Speaker 3: The dancing, the lyrics that I was using. I was like, oh my god, I was wrong.
Speaker 4: That's when I come now.
Speaker 7: She's a Christian and she jokes that she should change her name from the rook Girl to the Good Girl. But back in the day she had an attitude rocking chains and baggy clothes. She was in the same Brooklyn dance hall scene as Franquito, and she told us about the crazy parties they used to have.
Speaker 3: It was lit back in at these parties went the morning sound like you come out sunlight, what's unsaid. Some clubs went to midday.
Speaker 4: The parties were every night of the week.
Speaker 3: They had big, huge clubs, and they had the underground.
Speaker 4: Places underground like basement and backyard parties.
Speaker 3: And you know, like in the day, I guess it's a mechanic sample whatever, truck, pucking lot, whatever.
Speaker 7: But then at night, at night, it became a sweaty dance whole party.
Speaker 3: You just go and chat on the mic, you buy your drinks, you know, and just ship.
Speaker 4: It was just a cool ride, you know.
Speaker 7: And these were like freestyle sessions. If you have skills, you could get on the mic. Latreville didn't see a lot of women up there, but that didn't stop her.
Speaker 3: I guess they was shy or they were afraid. Well, I don't know. I had no fear.
Speaker 4: I had no fear. She sounds just like me. Latrevida just went for it.
Speaker 3: Call me a rueyal. I may not brag and show off. If you're coming to me face, make gonna go click off, rude girl, I may not take back. No talk coming on me face and make going I go back.
Speaker 7: The crowd at these parties was mixed Jamaican, Pnomenians and Latrevida.
Speaker 4: She could work in English and Spanish.
Speaker 3: See page break. Okay, bogget simplatin. Why now the puppy?
Speaker 4: I love her? You know, the female power that we have there you go.
Speaker 7: Latrevida actually had parties in her basement on Thursdays. And just because these parties were held at the basement and out of shops, that doesn't mean that they were for amateurs.
Speaker 4: The biggest names in the dance.
Speaker 7: Hool music will show up and spread when they went to New York, guys like super Cad and Shaggy, I.
Speaker 3: Love my Name, you suppriss you the sessions those guys used to comfort Brooklyn to go to the spots.
Speaker 7: Yes al ambiente where Panamanians and Jamaicans are hanging out together getting to know each other. Of course, you know, smoking weed in the basement where the dance hold and Efaniel really takes off. And this is the word Franquto walks into right when he thought he was leaving the dance hall behind and Panama, he gets stopped by Cans.
Speaker 8: Sound system system and Ayochla so and so.
Speaker 7: He said that in New York City he bought a little sound system that he would bring around to every party, which he called the Bachelor Sound and he started to perform under the name Elnerdi and Heneran hasn't given an interview about his music. For over a decade. This audio is from an interview he recorded with a journalist in two thousand and four.
Speaker 4: Commando Max.
Speaker 7: And Henerad says that he got his name because Panama was run by Lee Ales for years, so it was a way to say that he was the commander, the boss. He took it to the next level by performing in a military uniform, but music was still a hobby for him. He was working in businesses making good money. He does, maybe I record something just to give it a shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess I believe that Yellow, but don't he never imagine that anything could actually come.
Speaker 2: Of it, coming up on that you know USA. We continue with episode two of our critically acclaimed series Loud, The History of Regaton. Stay with us, Hey, we're back. Let's get back to episode two of our critically acclaimed series Loud, The History of Reggaeton.
Speaker 4: Eighties.
Speaker 7: A lot of the Jamaican dancehall industry was actually based in New York.
Speaker 4: BP Records was the world biggest distributor of.
Speaker 7: Reggae music and it was run by a Chinese Jamaican family out of Queens And trust me.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of power to move records in the industry.
Speaker 9: There was Spanish people, you know, really interested in the reggae, and there wasn't any Spanish artists doing reggae, so he ventured into it.
Speaker 4: We're not Spanish, we are Latinos. But I get what he means. This is Michael McDonald. He was a studio owner back then.
Speaker 7: He said that it was a Jamaican records show worker at VP who noticed just how many Latinos were coming in to buy these dancehall albums all in English, and a light bulb when I'm there was money to be made.
Speaker 9: He was one of the first obriginaries. People didn't really take him seriously. To be honest with you, I guess this is a Jamaican thing like to stick toward you know, the weight went. It took me to a televis surprise.
Speaker 7: So in nineteen ninety, this record shop guy pulls El Hennerdan into the studio. There was a popular song at the moment by little Lenny Cononaniere and it was a tribute to the power of the pussy and that song trust Me for the Time was dirty. El Heneral recorded a cover of the song in Spanish and that song for Umpalo and.
Speaker 3: That English tune was a very big meaning in every area America Latin and they knew that song, so for him to bring it across in Spanish it was a bumpshell.
Speaker 7: Latrevida remembers performing at shows with El Henerald where he was singing to Bumpoon.
Speaker 4: It was an easy hit.
Speaker 3: Was the song in English hit and you got through it? In Spanish, that was an easy hit.
Speaker 7: That song blew the fuck up. I still remember with the song hit and landed in Puerto Rico. It was in every corner, every birthday, every party, everything. Sano tell a story about his first gig he played in New York after that song came out. He show up and the streets outside was full of people. He went up to the bouncer and he was like, I'm here to sing tonight, am and he and the bouncer was like yeah right, and I'm prince, see the prince.
Speaker 4: Prince.
Speaker 7: Eventually he got into do the show and he was blown away watching how the crowd reacted. He then realized that people were hungry for this music. That night, he decided to quit his job.
Speaker 4: Camala Music.
Speaker 7: And Heneral quickly followed with more songs. There was Buena and Weuebelo, and those were huge. Two after Henerdan dance on the Spanish was officially in style. I'm talking in ninety ninety one, ninety two, But most of the big artists in that first wave were black Central Americans in New York. Later Rita got to deal with Columbia Records. Meanwhile, and Heneral was getting big internationally. His songs became the kind of hits that everybody knew from Mexico down to Argentina. At first, Elenderal said he couldn't actually travel to the concerts. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he had overstayed his visa and was undocumented. He said that in his absence, a rumor went around that he died. So when he got his papers and started touring, it was like the resurrection of Heneran.
Speaker 8: And the visio.
Speaker 7: And he said he had to go on to be to show people he was still alive and invite them to the show. The music was all over America Latina, but not everybody got it. This audio is from Henerani when he appeared on a TV show in Chile, one of those shows. In the video, and Heneral is super all and skinny, and he's wearing his purple general's uniform and dancing so awkwardly with the TV host. This interview kind of makes you cringe. The host is saying that these are totally made up words, right. He literally doesn't understand the music and acts like Kelenneda came from out of space. The whole thing seems like a big joke today, this black Latin American doing the strange thing called rapping. For Puerto Rican's it was completely different. We love and understood dancehol Maybe it's because we're also from the Caribbean, just because of the New York connection we have.
Speaker 4: In nineteen eighty.
Speaker 7: There were almost one million Bodique was living in New York City, so music was always going back and forth on the Wild Waie area. You know those three and a half hour domestic flight back and forth from someone to New York.
Speaker 4: Those planes brought new sound to the island fast.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 7: Back in the day, it was normal if you grow up in the city that your parents will send you for the summer to stay with your grandparents and cousins in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 4: DJ Tony Touch was one of those.
Speaker 10: I remember being surround about these trees and the grain. It was just a night and day between Eastern New York, Brooklyn and grandmother chopping the head off a rooster right there, talking like this is dinner.
Speaker 7: Or maybe it was the other way around. You live on the island, you will go in the summer to New York and you will come back with the latest music to show off to your friends back home. Here's rapper Lisaan.
Speaker 5: When I was traveling to New York to be seeing my grandma everything, when I called back to Puerto Rico or on forget it, I was, oh my god. I came from New York, was up with the outfrey with the new mulesing and say hey, listen, this is the new stuff.
Speaker 7: And in nineteen ninety and new stuff was Spanish stance and the World War area. It us another sound in the eighties and nineties that was very important to Regaton, and that sound was hip hop.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back, not right yes, hey, we're back. And here once again is La Diva lata evy Queen. To wrap up the episode, we.
Speaker 7: Are going to talk about hip hop for a second because it was a huge influence and movimento, especially in Puerto Rico. Most of the Puerto Rican artists in the early way, like myself started to do straight hip hop and got into the reggae and dancehall vibe later. And the reason Bodricos have such a close connection to hip hop is because we.
Speaker 4: Helped invent it. We were there since day one.
Speaker 7: That's my friend Tony Touch again, a legendary from the New York hip hop scene.
Speaker 10: I mean, hip hop started in the Bronx, and it started in the ghetto and these projects in the hood, and who lived in the hood Blacks and Puerto Ricans.
Speaker 4: You know, and many black Puerto Ricans as well.
Speaker 7: In those early years of hip hop, Puerto Ricans were representing. We have mcs, DJs, graffiti artists, and especially dancers. A lot of the first Bee Boys were Puerto Ricans. And what it was we were on hip hop films like Wild Style and.
Speaker 4: Bait Street that made an impact on Tony Touch.
Speaker 10: I see these kids on the movie screen that looked like me, Puerto Rican you know, because.
Speaker 3: Before I didn't see it like black or white, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Like, so you see Puerto Ricans in the movie or on the screen, it's like wow.
Speaker 7: You know. It was inspiring for me because of the New yor Rican connection. Puerto Rico was one of the first places to get into hip hop. I remember I first find out about hip hop through my brother Jacob. He had staves of dash effects Boster rhymes.
Speaker 4: Even though he didn't understand the music, spoke to us.
Speaker 7: It was straight up, it was raw, It was poetry, but with music underneath. You know, it was music that kept fit the feelings that you have insight.
Speaker 4: So growing up in Anjaco on the west side of Puerto Rico, I was all about the honey.
Speaker 7: I walk around with my boom box and my little peasodon and if any moment a cipher will start, we bust it down back Then, if you have a party and you didn't play rap honey, nobody's going to show up. So in the eighties, hip hop is huge in Puerto Rico, but it's hip hop from the US in English. The reason Puerto Rico got its own hip hop has a lot to do with a guy named Bigo Ci.
Speaker 3: Guy saw Vehicle Wow, a rapper with a career in Spanish.
Speaker 4: And at school, I started seeing this movement at Bigo.
Speaker 3: C becouc is the god from the dawn of Spanish rap.
Speaker 5: Puerto Rico.
Speaker 7: When it comes to hip hop in Puerto Rico, Becausi was the king. He was one of the first people to do hip hop in Spanish and do it so nice. The thing that was so cool about it for us was that we love rap music, but most of us they didn't understand a word, and all of a sudden, with Bico, we got the lyrics.
Speaker 4: It was like the movie went from black and white to color.
Speaker 7: La is that he's a storyteller and he have a way to put these words together and take you along on the ride.
Speaker 4: You're just there with him. Here's hip hop DJ Baron Lopez.
Speaker 6: Because he got these words that you would not expect it on a rap he changed it to make it interesting and funny but real.
Speaker 4: His music was the That's why we know him as a philosopher. The philosopher because he on the DJ that discovered him, the Negro.
Speaker 7: They started to record a few songs on cassettes, super basic with our studio or any real equipment. This is the mid eighties and the tapes Suerto Moon phenomenon. They were copying over and over again, pass hand to hand.
Speaker 4: They basically went viral.
Speaker 7: Soon, Honey, every car was bumping the Negro because here's the negro. Because and there were nobodies, just two kids who made some tapes.
Speaker 4: In NAVII and am was implemented cassette temp.
Speaker 7: Soon because met a young concert promoter named he books them to open for Public Enemy.
Speaker 4: It's a real doing for them. They are a hit and Jorge has an idea.
Speaker 11: And with all them listen, let's record, let's record I had never we had never recorded before, but they said, let's record this because this is really good. And that ended up being La Recta Finale Dja Negro and Bigo.
Speaker 7: Si Laretta Final, released by Joje's brand new label, Prime Wreckers in eighty nine. Wasn't the first hip hop and a panel rekerd to hit Puerto Rico, but it's the record that really started the fire.
Speaker 6: It was huge.
Speaker 11: You know, they would go straight from the truck out to the stores because everybody was lining up to pick them up.
Speaker 7: When I hear Laretta Final, you literally are listening to this young kid pouring words that are not using the hood, you know, like the stuff that he was putting together was amazing because he was wrapping about real life topic that were happening in the projects, the killing addiction aids in a way that just spoke to people as honest and real, and nobody in Puerto Rico heard anything like that before because he himself grew up in the projects in Las A Cassias. People forget that way back in the day. There was serious povery in Puerto Rico now too, but in the forties the slums were hardcore.
Speaker 4: Just google fan Gito So.
Speaker 7: In the fifties, the government started building these huge housing projects for poor people.
Speaker 5: Erki and Casio Seno Gandia Power in construction.
Speaker 4: Recurso's economics.
Speaker 7: These projects are known as casaio. They're also called residentialists, and they built the casa rios next to the middle class neighborhoods. They thought it would create a less divided society. But yeah, it didn't work out like that. But a mucho the cassaillo it's all about drugs, gun violence, many black or dark skin Puerto Rican living them, and there's a lot of discrimination against a residente de casrio. I didn't grow up in a cassaio, but I always hang out there. I knew people from all the casarios and the stuff. Because he was rapping about we were living there. He made a whole generation of kids from the hood say oh shit, I can do that too.
Speaker 4: That's what happened to me.
Speaker 7: I heard Beekle bruly ruing that first generation of rapping Epanoon, and I decided that I wanted.
Speaker 4: To be a rapper.
Speaker 7: Because Cidi Negro with Prime Breakers were the stars of a new genre, rapping Espanon and business was booming.
Speaker 11: We were releasing like ten records a year, you know, like we would have two studios running twenty four hours. We would hire other studios just to keep up with the music.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: By then, we were the biggest independent label in the market. We were bigger than Fania. We were the bomb.
Speaker 7: In eighty nine, Prime Record put out the first hip hop album by a woman in Latin America.
Speaker 5: Li Sion Wandviko saka Supremel album. They hear me in another show rapping and they tell me, hey, Lisa, do you want to record an album?
Speaker 4: And I say what?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 5: And they say yeah you, and I say.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 7: Lizion grew up with Biko and Hakassias and started out as his backup dancer, And.
Speaker 5: I remember that that said my mom, Mommy, I'm going to record an album, and my man look at me and say, hey, yeah, so lool yo.
Speaker 3: Juano, Hey, you're gonna see me.
Speaker 5: You're gonna see me.
Speaker 4: And the next artist frimebreaker sign that's right, Eli Ran.
Speaker 7: These were the roots Oftro movimento, a dance on an efanel scene that started in Panama, a hip hop an efanel scene that was killing it in Puerto Rico. Black sounds with roots from the English speaking world now available en Espanel, New York made that connection happen. But the next phase of regedon history that happens in Puerto Rico in a dark, sweaty little club that is close to my heart, the club where I got my start, and that a Yankee guy his start, and so many others were teenagers from the hood. Ivana Taraman said. A club that gave birth to a sound, a club called Denis.
Speaker 4: Loud.
Speaker 7: The History of Reggaeton is a Spotify original podcast from Futuro Studios. This podcast was written and reported by Marlon Bishop and Louis Gaio and edited by Sophia Palisa Khan, with help on this episode from Audrey Queen from Spotify Executive producers Gina Bilbah, Adrian Aredondo, Jessica Molina and Julio A.
Speaker 4: Pabon.
Speaker 7: We're producing help from Dan Behar. Executive produced for Futudo Studios by Marlon Bishop. Produced by Louis Gaio, Ginny Montalbo, Catalina Gatta, Eggleston Ermes, Ajala, Joaquin cut Sandraano, Nicord Rothwell and Daniela Tejogar. Song Additional production by Christian Errera, Seva Tiander, Bays Lunez A Secilro, Rega Sandino and Juan Diego Amirez. Fat check in by Tatiana Dias, sound designer Mixing by Genni Montalbo and Stephanie Lebou, with help on this episode from Rosanna Cawan.
Speaker 4: Artin song is by Max.
Speaker 7: Original music by Ego and Danny crazy Town for the Ego Team and impuls Ell Intellectoy music supervision by Big Sin George Truly. Recorded at Hega Studio by Maluri Iberno Ell Heneral.
Speaker 4: Interview audio courtesy of Christophe Twiko.
Speaker 7: Special thanks to Julio Ricardo, Barela, Luis Luna, Lileana, Ruis, josh Lin, Green Antonio, Seehidro Sonia Clavel, Ricardo Montalbo, Jasmina Fifi, O'Neil Anderson, Jessica Dito, qim Ellliah, Sarah Kayner, Vijan Garby, Jesse Hart, Sue Lou, Brian Marquis, Lauren Mine King, Ashley Nesby, Andrea c lincy Way Slipkins and Jordantocinski for production support.
Speaker 4: I'm your hosts Ivy Queen.
Speaker 7: Make sure to follow loud the History of Reggaeton only on Spotify.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that, Ivy Queen and dear listener, We'll see you on our next episode and as always, lot Bayas Ciao