Speaker 1: On today's episode of Command Center Podcast, we are risking it for the Biscuit by attending the NFL Draft. You guys didn't go, but what do you think about the guys that are going. We're gonna talk about that. Fred and Santana and I. We're gonna sell you something good, something sweet, a prospect in this class that is very very special. Yeah, I will say Fred is a great salesman. All right, and then we got hater Jason in the house. We're going to talk about our draft day anxieties. What are we worried about? Guys, don't worry. Adam Peters is here walking you asleep, and Adam Peters we trust it all starts right now. Welcome to the Command Center Podcast. I'm logan Paulsena with Fred Smoot and Santana Moss. Yeah, we have some exciting news. Santana, you had a charity golf tournament this weekend, eighty nine Ways to Give Charity Golf event.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wasn't able to go because I was on vacation, which I'm really bummed about. And Fred was telling me all good he was hitting the ball. Jason was telling me it the couple of kidd a cup of golf balls and and you know, Maddie and all the producers said they were.
Speaker 2: Riding here, a couple of bars out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. So it sounds like a really nice event.
Speaker 3: It was a great turnout. I mean, just to say the least.
Speaker 4: Bro, it's it's gratifying just to see the people that support you, you know what I mean. So a big shout out to my command center crew, all the guys that's behind the scene, Jason, Maddie, Kayler, Key.
Speaker 2: Caroline, Anna, all of them showed up. Ryan was there. Man.
Speaker 4: That was big because I didn't, you know, I didn't know at what capacity they was gonna come, you know, And I saw them in their gear and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: They coming to golf.
Speaker 4: And it was funny because we getting ready to golf and no one seem smooth.
Speaker 3: So everybody like, yes, and I'm like, his birthday was last night.
Speaker 4: Here, but no, man, honestly, from the command center guys that I work with now and from the you know, former Redskins slash commanders who are football players, that all showed up Man and everybody else Man who made the event special.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Hats off to y'all. Appreciate y'all. You know, we can't do what we do in the community without them. And I think that's one of the biggest things that you know that I love about it because it shows you that, you know, it's easy for me to support others when people.
Speaker 2: Support me, you know, And so what was it?
Speaker 1: What's it for?
Speaker 4: So you know, and I tell everybody you know cutting dry, you know, you have so many different foundations saying well we give back to this and that. Man, were just a foundation that I started way beyond my years of playing football that I wanted to just give back to the inner city or any neighboring city that need that I can just support.
Speaker 2: And I could do it personally myself.
Speaker 4: When I was younger, I did everything out of my pocket and then I got with good people.
Speaker 3: They're like, bro, people will people will help you do us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so since I've been here, I rebranded the name to A nine Ways. It used to be the Centeranna Moss Foundation, then it changed to the Moss Brothers Foundation, and I rebranded the name to just eight nine Ways to Give because the area knows me as that guy wold at eighty nine. So yeah, it's just been it's been a three each and every year working with some of the folks, and I must say this, we give Fred Smooth a lot of flak for whatever you know from us fat checking them and doing other things.
Speaker 2: Know, because the pair of lips always said lost him.
Speaker 4: I always told him, but this dude is the best seller I ever had at any auctioneer. He does, he doesn't two years in a row, and I couldn't get nobody else that job. So I got to pay him for that next time because he did such an amazing job.
Speaker 2: Man, But he had one of my teammates from high school. They're shocked me today, my guy Andrew Howard. When I seen him in there, I'm like, you're in the right player, What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, I came out here so shots after that man. One of my older teammates, he was a twelfth grader when I was a tenth grader. He watched me lose my mind.
Speaker 4: And he said this, because we always ask questions about how this guy was growing up. The guy said, if whatever way he is now, he was worse than so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is hard to imagine.
Speaker 2: No, I was lashing out because I felt like I should be.
Speaker 1: Playing at that time football relady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was our football related and they my coach was like, you gotta wait your ten balls in front of you. We going to the state championship game. I was like, I'm better than them, so they wouldn't let me play early. So I started crashing practice. I started choking with sea, I start burning dB. I started crashing out in practice. Man, they have.
Speaker 1: That's uh, that's a wild short.
Speaker 2: What's so good at selling stuff? I don't know.
Speaker 5: If you can see in the control room up there on the speaker, he convinced Ryan, I think to buy that up there, it's like a bulldog holding a tray, yeah, wearing sunglasses serving no idea what that is. But swoot, just someone boughtyving them dollars, serving them dogs. Sometimes people really want to buy stuff. They just need okay. They need to just know it's okay. Like I told them when I was up there. We had one particular item.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is good, great item, I say, but I said, it's a sugar dad item. I don't go buy this out, sugar Dad. You get your sugar Dad on. This one is for you right here. It went off the ship jet like that J like that you got.
Speaker 4: The wrong profession right now, car My gosh, he'd be that guy that you be sleeping. You hear him when you put up a TV on it you see free up there. No, you gotta watch you this lovely watch. I can see it on your mom's arm right now.
Speaker 1: Got us on at two am.
Speaker 2: Just but I enjoyed Raansberry forms a course because I love the mountains, the Sands, Gras bear Fall, and I enjoyed that course. I played it and smooth down Shambo, I'll be ripping it.
Speaker 1: Are you good at golf? I'm great at everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, we can say, we can say.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you want to kind of check out Tanna's charity, it's eighty nine ways to give dot org. So you can help him out there. And uh, obviously Tanna is such a great guy and all it is for the community. So you can support them there, check it out and uh, maybe a ten next year, I would.
Speaker 4: Say this, Yeah, you can't have to wait for next year. My birthday weekend May thirty. First, I'm having my first annual. It's called Santana's Kingpin Tournament. It's gonna be a bowling tournament.
Speaker 1: So now I'm coming so now looking now get me there.
Speaker 2: Now we get to now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if y'all want to see that match up, you know, hopefully miss friend is on the same team, because I think it's gonna be people signing up to Yeah, so hopefully we on the same team. Trying to get all of us be on the same team against these other you know, fans and people who coming to the No. But yeah, so if you're looking forward to or you want to participate in that, go out going a website.
Speaker 3: We should have that up pretty soon to be May thirty first.
Speaker 1: And that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your mama like your mom, me and your mama, she had the same birthday with my mama.
Speaker 1: Birthday is May thirty first.
Speaker 4: And Master Junie first, Yeah, June first, right, so were supposed to be so yeah, were supposed to be anyway, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: U right now a little bit of housekeeping obviously, check out the website supports Santana Charity. That's fantastic stuff that he's doing the community. A housekeeping all right. Because it's draft week, we got our other podcast Ticket to the Draft. We did a seven round mock draft came out yesterday with Fred and my brother Yeah, and jam mcgreen Jerimer Green, and they kind of talk the same. They don't look the same, but they talk the same. A lot of metaphor, very funny guys. And went through every single draft pick. It took us like what an hour and a half. Yeah, it's alone by long time. Lots of debates there about players. Fred had some of the talk about Fred selling stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: We listened to him on a show today.
Speaker 1: We go up to a player and he would just he'd sell that guy hard.
Speaker 2: No, yoga Aurora. I tried to get him. I tried to sell them. They fought back, but I was like, no, this is the dude right here. And we was arging up with a second round pick on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixty one, sixty one.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, dude, this is this is a chess piece for here.
Speaker 1: Should definitely check out the argument it was. It was masterful.
Speaker 3: If we had been a finished product, all right, yeah.
Speaker 1: But obviously exciting player Royo. But we see all the guys we picked, see the conversations, lots of really great analysis. Makes you check that out. And we got Command Center Live Draft Night that's on Thursday, Yeah, Thursday, So tomorrow, Yes, tomorrow, toomuch tomorrow, and it's on six pm on YouTube and we like so basically the draft starts at seven, we're on at six, okay, so on an hour before and then we're on live during the pick. So there's lots of times that we're live, we have to go away and then we come back. So make sure you click that subscribe button, the bell, the notification button. It's going to get you back to us when we're alive, because like we are going to have the best analysis of the pick, because like who knows the team better than we do in terms of national media. So make sure you guys like subscribe and then hit that notification button.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I could sell it like Fred Smoot. There's the draft room, the war rooms, right, it's right next door to me. They're literally dq ap like we're talking without them. We're going to see if we can get it to happen. I'm confident will They're just going to make the pick. Walk right on out, walk right in here. Talk to you guys about the pick. So nobody else is going to get that, no other soup it. So if you want your commander is yeah, that's right where the soup.
Speaker 2: Has made it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. That's a great sell. You're giving your challenging Fred moot smooth for selling stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I personally don't care what mel Kuiper has to say. I want to hear what aps to say. He's someone that's actually doing it, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you want Yeah, if you want analysis, who's.
Speaker 2: Who better than the guy that's pushing the butt?
Speaker 1: This is my pick.
Speaker 2: This is about male Kaiper and the weather man been lying for over one hundred second that what they do.
Speaker 1: I don't know you've been. I've been watching a lot of draft content ready for the show this week, and there are some wacky takes out.
Speaker 2: The first of all, people are all over the board. Like I literally heard on the radio yesterday. I was looking listening to the Junkies. Old GM came on from the Jets and said the most absurd thing I ever said heard about. You should do a sentence.
Speaker 1: What do you say? He said, I have?
Speaker 2: And this is a Jets GM. So evidently you ain't been doing your job good all right? He said, Uh, he's he's undraftable. That what I had on my paper, I.
Speaker 1: Came draftable, undraftable.
Speaker 2: I came right on next on B Mitch Show, B Mitch, I hit B Mitch up in less say let me come on, I want to defend Tannebaum. Was him, came over here and one Tannebone. But he got on there and said this absurd stuff. I said, I'm gonna tell you, as an ex football player, who I think should do it is one of my classmates.
Speaker 1: This is a lofty call.
Speaker 2: But they said Drew Brees was too small. They said Drew didn't have enough gas in it. They say Drew can't throw over office alignment. They say the same thing about you do it. You do it is Drew Brees with a gold chain.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you like this though, when you really look at it, and I don't want to get too long on this, when you look at some of the stuff that comes out before the draft, you got to take it with a grain of salt.
Speaker 2: I mean, they don't know or they can go off.
Speaker 4: Is your college performances of the last three to four years. And if you look at what this kid done, the only thing that he has done that ticked them off.
Speaker 1: Is his mouth.
Speaker 2: And that's what his dad did.
Speaker 4: But his dad a little more a little flair about itself and he played the different position, so you need those guys to do that they used to seeing quarterbacks do heah. So at the end of the day, I feel like he put usself in that situation of talking the way he's talking. But he's going to be the one to get the last laugh because I feel like he is capable of going out there being a good quarterback in his league.
Speaker 2: So I'll mean that.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's two things here that I think are really important. One is bel kiper Junior has him as his number one player, number one quarterback. He says he's gonna be the first player back, first player taking over km Ward. So you that's the level of kind of difference you can you can get. Like there was a guy on I was talking to about Shamar Stewart today. They're like, I have him at sixty one. I am at twenty two. But there's a guy that I know has him at eight, like.
Speaker 2: I got it, got him at one on five because the stats didn't make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just a lot of stuff going on right, So it's important to keep that in mind. And then like the other thing to I mean, I don't know, we can talk about this we'll talk about it later. But the draft is funny. This year's draft it's especially funny. And the other thing, this is what you said, Tennis. Where I was thinking about is everyone comes out and says, oh, I heard this from so and so on a team. Teams know that you are in the media, they know you're gonna say this note.
Speaker 2: But sometime they win. Now, but sometime they whip I'm saying, because they want to play out a file to this.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like, there's all sorts of craziness to be like, oh, I'm tracking thirty visits. Every team uses thirty visits differently. They use them differently, right, So some people are bringing people in because they have red flags on them, they want more information. Some people use them as smoke screens. Some people use them to indicate people are actually interested in drafting. So this is silly season. We won't know for sure. I don't care who you are until Thursday night. Yeah, and obviously we'll be here and hopefully Adam Peters joins us and we have we'll get all that insight and the kind of people behind the veil there, which would be great. All right, So now let's get into our draft talk and discussion. It's risk it for the biscuit attending the draft, and as always, risk it for the Biscuit is presented by Marsha McGlenn an agency. You're a partner and risk in people's strategies. So when I say attending the draft, I'm not talking about as a fan. I'm talking about as a player. Those guys that are sitting in there in the green room waiting for their name to get called. My question to both of you is, would you ever have when you were getting ready to come out, would you ever attend the draft?
Speaker 2: We both hurt it down. Yeah, when we had the chance. Tom, I'm gonna go with marsh mclenny on this one, right. Going to that draft is a risk first of all. And if you a person people that got a strategy, you know to sit at home with your family, sit at home with your family, good, bad, ugly in between. You do not want third degree airing Roger's face. You do not want to sit there. Why pick got? The pick goes through and I don't know how these guys, the one that sit there then come back the next day. I don't know what they think you like At the end of the day, the pain is already happened. I would rather be with my family, be with my friends, be with the people that was there with me before this day even happen.
Speaker 3: I'm going with both of y'all, you and what you call it.
Speaker 4: Mar marrish mc glenny. I ain't want to mess the word up. Not but honestly, man, don't get me wrong. Like you know, me and Fred both had potential of being first round draft picks. We understood why Fred felt a little bit because of you know, his extracurriculum. Tell you, yeah, just the stuff you did off the field. You know, we're not surprised, right thirty years later. But honestly, when they called me and told me, hey, you know you had the opportunity miage, he knew what time it was.
Speaker 3: I'm just not that guy. First of I don't want the camera on me.
Speaker 4: I remember all the news outlets that wanted to participate with my little draft gathering.
Speaker 2: I told him, y'all got a way outside on Front Street. You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like when I know when I get a call and they say they're finna pick me, then I'll let you in. Because I didn't want that drama. I didn't want the drama, the speculation to hoole leading up to it, because that's all it's all for them. It's for them to sit there and be like, oh, you see him now, he's over here pacing, or they would have been saying he's taking a shot of the hend right now. I just saw him taking shot. He's getting nervous, it's getting nerve wracking for him. But I just didn't want that for me or my family because I had no expectations. All I knew was that they say first round potential, and whether.
Speaker 2: It was gonna be early or later.
Speaker 4: I just knew that I'm gonna get drafted, So whether it was gonna be in the first round or another time, I just was like, look, when that's when that call come, i'ma be excited, them to be ecstatic, and I'm gonna, you know, roll with the punches.
Speaker 1: Then I got a question for both of you guys. Did your agents have an idea of where you would be drafted? Like? What team was maybe interesting because I feel like at the top it's a little bit easier to slock.
Speaker 4: I So I told you one of things about Drew rosa house man, and that he's not he's not called a shock for a reason. They had me everywhere up in that first round. I tell you that one the two guys at my pro day said if he was five eleven, he'll be the first receiver come.
Speaker 2: Off the board that year.
Speaker 4: And it's crazy because I was like, that's devastating to tell somebody who stayed behind. But at the same time, like I said before, to me that just talked, unless this happens, I'm not tripping on it.
Speaker 2: But leading up to that day.
Speaker 3: It was all Washington, all Washington.
Speaker 4: So my agent was saying and saying the same thing, like, look, bro, he has the possibility.
Speaker 2: We don't know, so I'm.
Speaker 4: Not going to get your and my whole damn show on for the behind because I wan't finish it there and be, you know, set on one team.
Speaker 2: I know how this thing go.
Speaker 4: I watched draft all my life, so I knew that it's things happened in that draft that get funky at time. But today of the draft, it went from we knew Washington was one of the teams. Then EJ had told me Whispers of the Coats was gonna get me if I felt from Washington the Coats said there was gonna be next and it's crazy how it happened, and Washington get didn't get me.
Speaker 3: The Jets jumped up in front of everybody and.
Speaker 2: Got me at surprised. Now that's what the draft is. I was hell been thrown. Thought I was going to Tampa. I had talked to Tampa like more than anybody, and they end up drafting ken Yata Walker, a guy from Mississippi. Yeah, like a big offensive tackle, and I'm thinking they finish, They finna pulled the trigger on me at the time, And like I said, like I didn't really zero in on anybody, Like I had ton't talk to enough people that I was like, you know, when you talk to top corners, it's me and Nate Clemens. It ain't really nobody else besides us. So I'm like, whoever the coneer need a team, That's where I'm going. And guess what if I would have been at dB taken in the first round, I would have been in Miami because they took Jamal Fletcher. Yeah at the time, forgot about it. Friz Smo did not need to be in Miami. Twenty years old.
Speaker 1: Miami probably do that too, thank you.
Speaker 2: Miami would have chewed me up and spit me back out.
Speaker 1: So how many dv's won before you or how many.
Speaker 2: Yes too to him? And that yeah, Nate and Jamar Fletcher. So it was like one of them things where once you in the storm, you don't care who little picky you just like I just I just want to get picked.
Speaker 4: And then my take on that too, you gotta think because Fred might have a different journey, but my journey was so bumpy getting into college to just know that I'm going to leave college as a draft pick on the first day, I didn't you man, they could have had a new team pop up and say they thirty thirteen.
Speaker 2: I didn't even get you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It was just like, man, I just walked on, yeah, four years ago, and now I'm getting drafted and you know, potentially first round.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I was okay regardless.
Speaker 1: And soil you guys didn't go obviously, but like what do you guys end up doing? Just hanging out?
Speaker 4: So yeah, you know, and I say, I tell my story first. It was everyone thought my family, like both sides, they thought Tennefon to throw it down because this is something big bro. I had my intermediate family that the house, the house I lived in, the people that lived there, they was there, and my two homeboys and my girl.
Speaker 2: We were just that's all we did.
Speaker 4: We sat right there and then I had my agent of course, and I had one aunt. I think I had one of my aunts who was closer to my dad.
Speaker 2: That's it. And I didn't want no one else in there.
Speaker 1: And it's food or anything.
Speaker 2: Oh we ate, he ate and drunk good, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like I said, we were sitting there, libations was there, but it just was like if I had to count count the people on hand in two hands, probably no more than ten people, you know. And because I heard the craziness that goes on. And then I also went to Drin james On. I was there for his when he got picked, and I remember the big party we had. But that was like that was crazy because he didn't expect to go in front of Ricky Winn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was a surprise that they went up and got him first.
Speaker 2: So and you know on that Ricky Williams trade they traded with Washington, y'all know that right out of that Ricky Williams trade, we got champed LeVar Are, Like we got pics out of that thing, because you know we were Buddy was tripping. Who got wicked? Wims? So what his name is? He gave up the house, He gave up the house. He gave up the house. Now you know I had on the fresh hot white suit, you know, but I was with my family, you.
Speaker 4: Know, tried to look like he was getting dressed for Easter Sunnay, no, he ain't. Probably taking none of the festivities on Easter, singing in the choir. But it was just me and my family. You know, we're chilling, man, like it's another day for me. Like I said, I wanted destination.
Speaker 2: I was so caught up on where am I I want to know the city, like so I can look at the roster first of all, to see who's on the roster.
Speaker 4: To tell me this, I didn't ask you this question before knowing that who you were as a player, because you was a corner that arguably no one could no one could deny that you was one to talk in our class when you saw the other two guys, did that bother you?
Speaker 2: They bother me because you knew, Like damn it bothered me. But I know it wasn't Nay fault No, it wasn't. Yeah, so it bother me in a way, But I also I was like, some good gonna come out of this, And the blessing was I came here and coming to wash this not only did I find a team I want to be on, but I found home. Now I live here, this is my home. I can't say going to some of them other cities with that in my heart. That'd have been your home.
Speaker 1: And then did you guys fly out that same night and go to the team or where they flew you up?
Speaker 2: Well, well, I don't know what the jes.
Speaker 4: They just told me, man, enjoy your time many family. I didn't come up to them when until it was time to go to Bractice. Oh really yeah, man to Minicamp.
Speaker 2: I didn't come to Minico They private jeedged us up and show coached me and old Rod Gordoner.
Speaker 4: So they treated us like I would say, it's crazy because Rob go and got picked before me. And that's that's how this thing, how backwards it is, how crazy it gets because like when I saw Rod, like I said, I cared less if they picked ten receivers in front of me, Like I said, me getting picked that day with everything. So when I saw Rod gotten, the first thing part of my head like, that's the team that everybody told me I was going to.
Speaker 2: Look they pick.
Speaker 4: Had no clue of the story that went on here, didn't know nothing. I was like, oh, I got picked the next pick.
Speaker 2: It didn't match though we already had Michael Ritzbrook. We already got a six four wide receiver while you're drafting another big old dude.
Speaker 4: What was crazy is every year so I get to New York and I'm in training camp, mini camp. So the guy who you a lot of people know of now Lockett, who's in the league, Lockett uncle was Kevin Lockett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, played here, He played here, and he got traded to us.
Speaker 4: And the first thing he told me said, bro Dan Snyder and sh and Shot Shottenheimer. Uh, the heads on that pick, because Shot Dan Snyder wanted you the whole time.
Speaker 2: It was you on his board.
Speaker 4: And Scheintehaimen went opposite and got a tar receiver. And I promise you, I swear to god, it was the crazy. The next that off season, Schottenheim got fired and Dan Snyder called my agent trying to trade for me, and it just was like nah. So he tried to trade every year into the year I came, and that's the year he didn't try and incoming.
Speaker 2: And I was taking it out on Roddy Press because I had just played against Roddy at Clemson. We just blewed him out. I had him to like zero yolids and every day practice because I was still lashing out because I had been dropped into Drea. I would say, this is who y'all picked before me, the same guy that I shut down. This is what y'all doing. And so I was like really high scruggs. You see now the stories. Once I get high scrug on something, I don't let it go.
Speaker 1: Did How'd Rod take it? Was pissed about that?
Speaker 3: Gave no il.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I came out and played some football and kept it going. I don't know Rod like that, but just being around them, it's easy going dude, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, they don't care about that. So that's a little bit about their draft stories and what's going on and why they didn't go uh and why I would never also go to the green room for the draft. But there are here's the list of the guys that are going to be going. And of this list, I think we should talk about guys that we think are maybe maybe you should watch out guys that could be commanders and fall to us at twenty nine. So let's start Tyler Brooker reguards from Alabama, Johan Campbell whinebacker from Alabama, Will Campbell attacking from LSU, Abdul Carter obviously edge from Penn State, Matthew Golden wide receiver Texas, Mason Graham DT for Michigan, Travis Hunter wide receiver Colorado, and Ash Jend running back Boise State. Well Johnson Fred's guy from Michigan cornerback Tetro McMillan, wide receiver Arizona. Jalen Millroe quarterback Alabama, Malachi Starks Georgia safety Shamar Stewart edge text A M. Cam Ward quarterback Miami. I think it'll be the first pick, and then Maxwell Harriston cornerback Kentucky.
Speaker 2: You say, all of these guys and.
Speaker 1: They are attending the draft, all of these all right now, right now, right now, they could.
Speaker 5: Walk out, but as of the day before the draft, they're the one schedule.
Speaker 2: Can we go down here and say who should not, who should not tim who should not? Come on?
Speaker 1: Like some guy just I look at this list and the guy the name that is and everyone's talking about it, Nashally the names it's it's flashing in yellow neon lights is Jaalen Milroe. And I like Milroe, but I don't like him as a first round player.
Speaker 2: But how many times do we see them reach full quarterback? Like that's like the ultimate reach position and hic go to think about it. Once they got a good COUMP for you, and now they got him comped as a faster version. Yeah, somebody gonna say, you know what, we can draft it, just it's not start them. And if I'm not gonna start him, I need to get that fifth year. And the only way to get that fifth years to draft him in the first round. So I think it's more strategy then.
Speaker 1: Is he ready? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think a team like Pittsburgh just just salivating. I can't wait to draft him and put him behind so and so and so and so and let him grow.
Speaker 4: You know what's crazy about the draft just seeing from the years of us coming up in this game and everyone wanted that prototypical quarterback, the one who can you know, dissect you from the pocket, you know, manipulate you and everything, and has a you know, quick release.
Speaker 2: The Peyton man.
Speaker 4: He's the you know, the Tom Brady's, you know, even to bless those you know, I mean those guys of before our time, during our time, you watch them talk highly of if they found any quarterback with any inkling of that you know caliber in that game they wanted fast forward.
Speaker 3: To today's game. What's today's game.
Speaker 4: Been Jayden Hurts or Jayden Daniels or Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: It's the mobile quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: So when you see a guy, you see a guy like Merros who you know, he's mobile. The things he did last year outside the pocket, running seventy plus yard touchdowns. People, those those those those coaches now saying that we could just get him in the beat half as good as he was throwing the ball, better.
Speaker 2: Better than what he showed last year.
Speaker 4: This year and he can still give us that capability of running outside the pocket. We got ourselves something, you know, they they want the next best thing like they've seen that's taking these teams the distance. So that's why I'm not surprised that he's on that list.
Speaker 2: That what coaches do they see someone and say I can fix it. Ain't that the arrogance of when your coach you brought up Pittsburgh. That's the place I can see him going and kind of finding his way because had a great coach.
Speaker 4: Is now a great had a great office of coordinator who knows how to use the quarterback quarterback. Yeah, so it's like, bro, if they defense can stay their defense and then he could go out there and.
Speaker 2: Just grow into the game. Yeah, bro, I can see you know.
Speaker 1: And he is the dynamic athlete. Ran on sub four four forty at his pro day. He can throw the ball and he rocked up. And I think that maybe the most important thing that we as analysts watching film don't get to see is I have heard his football character is off the charts, like leadership like you know you mentioned the Hurts compared with yea like great leader, dynamic. In the locker room, people gravitate towards him. He's gonna study, gonna get better. I think if I know coaches, they're gonna have an interview with him, and it's gonna be like, oh, this dude's the dude.
Speaker 2: So tell me this.
Speaker 4: Because you've been coaching for a long time on the high school level and you come here, you talk to us a lot about certain guys you watch and you see and why you don't like him or why you think that he might get not you know that not because of something you saw. If you was a guy and you say, okay, where he's at, he's not a finished product, but what he could be? Would you take a chance on him being at you coach offenses and you saw his skill sets?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I do like Milroe. I just said that I think he's maybe like this is not being hyperbolic. He's maybe one of the best runners in the class, right, Like he's dynamic r. Yeah. I think the problem is like the lack of consistency throwing the football. Seems like he's got to take a huge step to get there, which makes me a little bit nervous about him, right because, like I was talking to some other people that I have a lot of respect for, and it's like, yeah, he can run, he's got the leadership, but ultimately got to throw the football. And you look at Hurts for example, he sat for like basically a year and a half, yeah, and was able to develop and grow and work on his mechanics and improve. Is he going to be afforded that same opportunity and is he going to improve the same way.
Speaker 2: He has to have the opportunity to blossom.
Speaker 1: Now he goes think about him.
Speaker 2: I heard that I found very similar because they both jacked. They first thing is to throw hard. When Jalen went to Oklahoma, he started to throw with touch and that was a throwing team with a head coach. They love to throw the.
Speaker 1: Ball all that.
Speaker 3: They probably gave him that insight to do so too.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I just think once he learned to take a little bit off the ball and actually anticipate, like he wanted the guy because he's I'm so strong. He wait till you get out, till you get and then you can try to jam.
Speaker 1: It in there.
Speaker 2: Like I just feel like if you get around some pro coaching and build him up, he'll start to really throw the ball.
Speaker 4: I just want to say, man, get we talk at nause him about you know, I guess you can say developing players, and I hate it because you see a lot of guys getting into the league and you know they don't get developed because it's almost like they're getting rushed to be out there.
Speaker 2: Michael, ready, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And so this is a This is a guy that I would love to see him a couple of years down the road after the team took that chance and see him and get to the point to where we're talking about now at throwing the ball, going how to get rid of the ball, anticipating pass because if you can, if you find a way to get him there. Yeah, with everything else, man, like you say, the leadership qualities, the way he runs runs with the football, that's where the game is going. That's where these teams want those kind of players because they want to they understand those guys that's on the defensive edges now and in the interior getting way bigger, faster, stronger. We need somebody that can be able to move outside pond it fix. And I'm not I'm not questioning coaches or or teams that's saying that, hey, this might be a guy that we can bring in and get them court to speed.
Speaker 3: To be a better quarterback for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think when you look at the ball of clay with Jalen Milroe, it's definitely there. Right. I think the problem you hit this tennis, So I'm just kind of reiterating what you just said is the problem with the NFL is that it's not a developmental league. Now basically they say, oh, you can't do it, I'm going to get someone else, and they literally like I've had that conversation. I want the new thing, so like, oh, I can't teach you to do this, shoot, I can find someone to do that. And that's where I think the difference between good coaches and kind of mediacre coaching the NFL level wise is the lack of development. So interesting conversation there about Jealen Milrolle. Hopefully it works out. Hopefully it's gone early one their.
Speaker 2: Team like be the Raiders, tell you the truth?
Speaker 4: Sitting behind Geno and and literally and you know, you know that boy that he's like a quarterback whisper Pete Carroll.
Speaker 1: Pete Carroll hate ho.
Speaker 2: He know so much? He known for office right, he's been on defense.
Speaker 4: I was always questioned that because when I knew that, you know, d Q was over there, I'm like, well, who got the knock?
Speaker 2: You know, we go with his defense or did he go with Q? You learned from him is how to be the whole post of the whole team there with Pete Carroll, do listen.
Speaker 1: I love Pete carricters.
Speaker 2: He hates on high by at the high level. No matter where how I go, Pete Carris popper, you like to see a round. First of all, Stanford was that Stanford winning when Andrew Lugez who popped up Pete Carrolls at UNC winning Nation championship. So guess what? How about said he gonna going to the league. Where you going? I'm going to the forty nine ers, pet Cats? All right, I'm going to Seattle win the super Bowl?
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: I guess what I think?
Speaker 1: Carbark after him?
Speaker 2: No, well, how ball came back to college? Right, Pete Carroll tied? Then how about said I'm going back to the league. Get what Pete Canzie pumped up? I'm coming right back up and you're gonna be in my saint Yeah, yes I am, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think the Raiders taking them at six.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about get back in the bottom of the first. Get back in the bottom of the first. Take genty with your first peak. That's a win that peak, and then take a win later peak and meal Roads putting behind Geno.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about let's make this a little bit more commander centric, because I don't think they're going to take a quarterback. I don't think they're taking Jalen Miller in the first round at twenty nine. That doesn't feel like something the commanders are going to do because we got a really good one here already.
Speaker 2: So they make it whole off a meal road because the eye guy was ready like ready ready, ready ready.
Speaker 1: All right, So of this list, do you see a commander? And while you guys are looking, I just want to say a couple of things. I think there's three or four guys at the top they're going to go really early. And those guys are Abdul Carter, Travis Hunter, cam Ward. Those are three guys. I'm gonna throw Mason Graham in there too, but it's I think he could slide a little bit, but I think he's gonna be Johnson in there too. Yeah. But see, so to me everybody else that I didn't mention, I could see them going anywhere from six to thirty five. And like that doesn't mean I don't like the players. I just think when you talk to people in this draft, like I had a conversation with someone yesterday about Will Johnson and it was like, oh, he's fortieth on my board and I was like, you're you're a liar, Like, there's no way that's true. He was being dead seriously. So it's again it's this year specifically is so subjective, so that with that throwing that out there, I think all these guys have the potential to take a slide. I think Ashton Genty probably goes in the tent like the high twenties, late teens, and in a worst case scenario, but if he did take a slide, like it wouldn't totally surprise me because the running back value if they can get a blue chip guy. But one guy in particular that I think fits this mold or embodies this at the highest level as Tyler Booker, the guard from Alibai. So I've seen him mocked in the top ten. I've also seen him in the bottom of the second round. Yeah, him over to play, and I do think just from what I've heard about him that he is a Commander's football player. He is everyone says his intangibles are excellent. He's like the leader of the offense and he plays left guard right. He finishes. He's a little slow footed, but he's long, he's big. He's like three twenty five. He's six six, He's got these thirty four thirty five inch arms. So he's just a big man, strong man. He's going to get better. He can play all three interior positions. And so if he were to take a little bit of a skid and he's sitting there at twenty nine, like, I think that just from like the off field stuff, the way he plays the game, could totally be a commander. And I've brought that up to fans are like, I'm not I don't want to take a guard. Think about this. You got Laramie Tunsel, got Tyler Booker. Yeah, you got Beatish in this at center be Cosmey and then Brandon Coleman like that all of a sudden becomes a one of the missus. Lad. I just like that, just like that, And so that to me is one that I think would be really interesting.
Speaker 2: Well I will one up you with this.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's go for it, all right.
Speaker 2: Since you went to Alabama, I'm going to the lone star state of Texas. We got Matt through Golden. I'm gonna do Golden because he adds an element that's not on this team right now. It's just flat out gas patch. I'm talking about a guy that just can flat out a clear our king is what I call some players as a dB. When we see him on the field, we already know what route they got. They don't mean you can stop it, but we already know what route you got. Do you know what met through? Golden could open up for Debo intermediately? Well, he can open up for zach Ertz intermediately. Like this dude becomes an instant check with me player when he comes in the game. Hey, met through in the game? Safety get back a little bit. That just opened up a fifteen year old wonder for them to hit a dacker. So sometime it ain't about to yours you bring, It's about what can you do for your teammates?
Speaker 1: I say, Golden right there? Do you think he plays that fast? I think I think he's a he's the mind of world wide receiver. I think he plays incredibly. He does the fundamentals really well.
Speaker 2: Like is he explosive? That's what I don't know. If he's verticed, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't care about how fast you are in running your rounds. I wanted I want to When he gets the ball is when he gets the ball in his hand, can't he He's just shaken around the phone boot and get down here.
Speaker 1: Gets separate separation.
Speaker 2: He gets separation, and I see, I know what you're hitting that he gets separation. Is he totally polished?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Do he play with to the top of his speed dominant all the time. No, But guess what, that's why you got these guys in this building to help mold players. Like he hasn't reached his ceiling.
Speaker 1: And that's what I like in a draft. I don't want to finish product. So if we were to take Matthew Golden twenty nine, I'd be ecstatic because he's like, he's my number one receiver above tet Tram McMillan. Oh do you yeah? He can stop start, he can. He doesn't do any speeding it out of his cuts ten He catches the football like with great body control. Again, like he ran a four two nine or for whatever it was, for three two, whatever it was. He's fast, But I don't know if I've ever seen him run that fast, Like you know, like when you watch Maxwell Harrison, You're like that dude's fast. Yeah, because Golden as I'm always like how fast.
Speaker 2: They go with some of you got so relaxed that they don't look like Jameson Williams. Jameson Williams, he got this loan scribe and I'd be like, oh, he moving, but it don't look like he moving. You see what I'm saying. What you mean deceptive speed? Yeah, decept speed?
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you on that. So he's an in string one. I mean him and Tetra McMillan both. I think I think I can see Tetro taking a little bit of sliding and being there like is that likely to happen to me? Probably not, but could it happened? Absolutely, Drake.
Speaker 4: I love to see you know, I tell y'all that you know, I'm gonna keep going with Mike Green. I love to see him, you know, sliding and slide one down and got him going at twenty eight to who that who does in front of us?
Speaker 2: Detroit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love to see Detroit say ah be food, Jo want somebody else?
Speaker 3: And he'd be sitting right there for the taking.
Speaker 4: But then they got to do Maxwell Harrison going to us at twenty nine on some people mock so mean like I couldn't. I wouldn't deny that because I look at our defense in the back situation. Now, it's great to have depth. We have some guys there that's capable. We have a guy who we we guess we just traded for last year late in the season and not knowing how long he's going to be around the league. It'll be great to bring in a guy we just talked about how fast he was and playing in this defense.
Speaker 2: Man. We could just just.
Speaker 4: Just picture him in this defense with these coaches and this staff man. You can see that guy being one of the top guys along with Santa Steel. So, you know, so many guys, like we say, you don't know what's going to happen. But if I had to pick two, those two stand out to me because I love Mike Green, knowing that we just got rid of a guy like Fouler.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: He has that same body type to me, like, you know, not so big, fast, twitchy. You know, I'm sure he can learn a lot from some of those guys who's already there. If we don't get him, then Max would be the next guy that I can see that, you know, I love to be a commander.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think, uh, I think that's a great point. I think there's a very good chance he could be there at twenty nine. We'll see. But the other guy I have, I have a very high grade on Malachi Starks. He's like my tenth player, tenth player in the first round. But I think he's like I've seen Mox where he takes a slide and I think he says that the flexibility, the nickel, the safety ability. And then Shamar Stewart also like some people have him as high of eight, some people have him in the sixties. I think in terms of physical play style, athletic upside, you know, just the kind of wired the right way from a competitor.
Speaker 2: Staple, Well, it scares me.
Speaker 1: But at twenty nine, though, is it that scary?
Speaker 2: No, No, what scares me is I'm a film dude. I want to see you go make plays against other college players. I'm with you, and this dude numbers jump off the board forty vertical bitch bris And then I look at his production. Yeah, and he got forts do we even got four.
Speaker 1: Sacks in four years, four and a half sacks of the last two years.
Speaker 2: So so all I'm saying is, if you ain't get them sacks on the college key, can I say that you're gonna te in the corner.
Speaker 1: What we were just talking about that this staff does really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they set you up and put you in And I just.
Speaker 1: Think about I think about my guy Ryan Kerrigan. I think about Darryl Tappa working with one of the freakiest athletes ever to come through the combine. And and yet dude, Freddy, yet he like had a very good pressure for so he got to it, want it up. I'm just saying, we just get that guy going in the right direction. Put it in nine man at twenty nine. Yeah, And I know what you're saying. I agree with you. I agree with you. I agree, But I'm just saying, like you just said twenty nine.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm saying that if you saw, if you, if me and you was in the GM and that we was in the scout thing, and he was like, hey, fred I want you to check this guy out. He's a wide receiver with six feet tall, runner four to two forty, And I'm like, oh my god, how many catches he got in conte He ain't got a bout four? What can I do with that?
Speaker 1: No, but I will. So this is the thing about defensive alignment right, if they have a good athletic profile. Ideally you want both good athletic profile the production. Then that's like Jared Verst last year, just to put that thing on the tee heat it out of the park. If they have good athletic production. There are case studies where that does work out. And I'm saying later in the first round in a weaker draft, when you're like that, the ceiling on that is sky high.
Speaker 4: But but what would be the what is the reason and behind that lack of productive What.
Speaker 2: Is the reason?
Speaker 4: What is the reason behind that lack of productivity that will give you the right to say that I still want to take.
Speaker 2: A chance because it's the athletic profile, the profile.
Speaker 1: But also like you played a lot of like tight to the tackle five technique four, I like not hard to rush the pass from there. Right, They were really worried about the r PO zone read stuff. So they're kind of doing all this and so I do. But like when he flashes.
Speaker 3: Man, so you see the flash, You see that he has.
Speaker 2: It in him.
Speaker 1: When you go to the Senior Bowl, man, when you watch so this is sener Bowl is like the best players in the country, right, Like the best college players, and when that dude comes onto the field, it he's bigger, he's stronger, he's faster than every single person on the field. Is he the most refined person? No, but watching him bull rush Emery Jones, like lift him up like he's a small child and throw him into the quarterback in one on ones. Yeah, just like we can figure it out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I'm more, especially when you got other guys twenty nine. I'm not saying take that top taglet in my ingredients. I'm more. I walked the player. They love the game more than I like the player. The God's gift like God's guilt.
Speaker 1: And this is a it's a great it's a great point. Like if we had an interview with him and he was a bad interview, Yeah, but if he's like ready to go, I just want to get better. Yeah, Like that's a different thing. And that's why those thirty visits are so important. That's why the meetings of the combined are so important. But I do think when you look at this list, like I'd say, there's six guys that could fall down in twenty nine that would be very good.
Speaker 4: I asked this question because I always thought in first round selections. You want a guy that can capable be coming in play right now at what number you get to in the first round where you say, okay, these are guys that I'm taking their press on that I feel like, I just.
Speaker 3: Don't want him to go nowhere else, fall nowhere else.
Speaker 1: So I just did my big board, my top one hundre, which is now on the Commander's website. You know how many people having Tier one, three, three, three? Yeah, you know people haven't tiered in the second tier. Who would be fifty sixty plus no tier two? So like I have five, So there's eight players that I'm like, there's a reasonable chance to become good starters. So one to eight we're okay. After that, it's it's a yeah, it's it's beauty is in the ether beholder. And that's what I'm saying with this people that are coming here, it's like, yeah, man, Like there's a lot of names I hear that people like, no way they're gonna be there twenty nine. I'm telling you, yeah, I'm telling you you're gonna see some crazy stuff in this draft that we have.
Speaker 4: We've seen it for years for years that didn't have a lick of film, but you.
Speaker 1: Ran four different thrown.
Speaker 2: Know, this feels more erratic than I have ever seen any year, Like even to the point where I'm here. You know how you you get your lip brother something he like, I don't want it, but I take it anyway. This draft feel I don't want cam Ward, but I'm taking me anyway. You know, it's this, It's like we forced the boy this stuff. Yeah you're picking, and it's like nobody won't go to the grocery store. Like it's like everybody like, yeah, yeah, whatever. But I'm like, to me, this is the most blue collar after having this Star Study draft last year, this is blue collar. So this is what I'm saying. It's a tons of starters in this draft. It might not be tons of Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers, but when I say tons of guys, if you know, how should I say run some guys out of the league.
Speaker 1: A lot of these guys.
Speaker 2: Are gonna replace a lot of Star Wars guys.
Speaker 1: I have a question hater.
Speaker 5: Here. So because they're all kind of bunched up, how important is like the thirty visits he interview process and stuff like that that we're not privy to and most of the national media is and privy to that's going to decide a lot of disorder.
Speaker 2: That's the most intimate time you got with them.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say it. Some most it's the most important the film. The film's most important.
Speaker 2: But then it's like, yeah, but when I say intimate type, I don't feel like the combine is intimate. But I want to come get out of this.
Speaker 4: I want I wonder how much the coaches get out of there just having that sit down with those guys. Because you've got so many other guys around, you know, you're not really getting the I'm just talking about these little visits when they film and meet like with four or five other guys, you know.
Speaker 1: So what I'd say is you asked me something about like coaching high school ball, and what the like, the main thing of high school ball is is getting to know the kid. And if I know the kid, I know what they can do. I know how they're wired enough to communicate with them. I'm like, okay, that's like that's literally more important than talent, more important than.
Speaker 2: Peopel, Like you can least kind of lead him to put on them.
Speaker 1: And so that's what these visits are about you know what I'm saying. It's like, can this guy Shamar Stewart's a great example who was an athletic freak. Is he mentally wired in a way that I can communicate with him? Do I want to communicate with him? Is he a big idiot? I remember I had a meeting with a guy talking with the coach last year, and I said, what do you think about player so and so? He's a good player, but I don't like him as a person. So they're not gonna draft.
Speaker 2: Back because they don't, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And even though the kid like the film was greaty, he's like, I just don't like them. And so that's where that is so important, because who you're going to invest more time with? The guy that you like, the guy that you're motivated to be around every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy.
Speaker 1: And so that's where these visits it's just to give you an insight about like this is how Santanamos is wired, this is how Fred's Spoot's wired, and can I make this work?
Speaker 4: And we're gonna because I'm just I was just basically trying to piggyback off of Jason's question because just I remember being on visits and I'm like, man, it's too many guys for y'all to really get to know. You might get asking questions to me, Like I know in my visits, they ain't get to know nothing about me because I'm in there. I barely said anything. When they pull my film up, I sat down in the bag. It's like, oh yeah, everybody, I want to see his film. And then the guys like, oh, well he was a hands catcher. I didn't think you they were ready to knock me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But that was those are the guys that was competing against you. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I'm sitting there a choir. So the I remember we was in Kansas City and the guy was like, it's oh damn, what his name Winston?
Speaker 2: Because we had I had his brother in New York.
Speaker 4: But it's crazy. That's probably why he got me. But his brother in Casey at the time forgot his name.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be mad.
Speaker 4: It's gonna come up to me later. He saved my highlight for last. And I remember one of the guy's not draft class. He actually went to what did he go to k C? He wore eighty nine. He went to he went to Green Bay. What his name is from Texas?
Speaker 2: Oh, I know exactly who you talk about. You gonna hit me. So when he put it on, he's like, oh, yeah, I'm finna. I want to see this everybody. I'm like, well, damned Robert Ferguson. Ferguson and Rob Robin my boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then after he watched the highlight, say, oh, I ain't know he was a hands catcher.
Speaker 2: I thought he caught everything with his butt. I'm like, only when I got to buddy, not just laughed at off.
Speaker 4: So the guy told me he hit me, Say, I did that on purpose because I know you the only guy here ain't bragging about yourself yet and you our guy on our list, but we know we gonna be able to get you. But getting back to what I was talking about, you don't really get a chance to know these guys for that little bit of time you have them, especially when they're around the other guys.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting because like even in that conversation, like.
Speaker 2: They got to know his dad knew a little bit about coach.
Speaker 1: Knew you, got to know you. The coach knew a little bit about Ferguson, and like that's why they took him a talk golf last year, right, see how they interact and that's really what you're trying to figure out, right if it works.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I know because I had a coach, because I took a trip to Casey meet Snoop Minis all. This was on the same trip And first thing they wanted to do with me was put me on the chalkboard. And I thought it was just peak to see my football knowledge, i Q. I think they just want to see how communicated football because they want to ask me no question that I couldn't answer, like I'm zipping through that you donna do this, you gonna do this, do this right here, and if he moved right here, I'm gonna do this right So and I think they just want to see how because I was known as a trench, they won't know what do he really talked trans as he's just educated talking the AQ. So that's what it was about with me, No, And.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. And I think like one another thing I talked to somebody recently about like you know, if you're not going on thirty visits, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And they because you know you said, you didn't go on visits, right, They said, well, they know you, they know what you're about, so they don't need to know. So if you're coming on visits and they're trying to.
Speaker 3: And then also we forget how many times they reach.
Speaker 4: Out to those high school teachers, girlfriends, cousins. And when I say I bump into people in the street, they was like, yeah, I talked to the NFL for you, and I'm like, they called you, yes, And it's like you get surprised by because you didn't know it was to that extent, like you know you not, damn you extremely trying to dive as deep as you can kid in the years. And it's crazy because that's one of the things like especially in certain households, like my dad always to tell me, man, your what do.
Speaker 2: You just say?
Speaker 4: The first impression is the best, you know what I'm saying, And so like whatever they think of you to me, even if you don't be about whatever you showed them, that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be as lasting, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Last, And so I used to always say to myself regardless, if I'm gonna dude, when I get around my homeboys, I'd like to have fun when I come into this meeting and show them that I'm.
Speaker 2: By my business, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And you think back of all those people that you crossed paths with, whether you was a a hole tom or not, you'd be like, well, damn, I hope they ain't talk to the wrong I never cared because I know I've always been a cool dude, you know what I mean. Hey, look, I don't know you from nothing, so I ain't finna go out here and go out my way and be somebody that I ain't. But when you think about it, you'd be like, well, damn, that's why certain guys don't get a chance to see that team or two that may have a high grade on them, because they found out.
Speaker 3: That maybe we don't want to bring that headache in here.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. I heard you talking about it the other day. He was like, Look, I'm taking a chance on the guy who's a great football player. If he got a couple of problems, I can always coach that, get that get him around somewhere where we're gonna love on him.
Speaker 2: We'll get the best out here. Yes, especially if I got the right veterance in here, they're gonna make suit good. Like that's the thing about it, like what I had said that three four years ago.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, we just can't do it.
Speaker 2: We ain't got the capacity, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's gonna do it. For that section on the draft and the meetings and why it's important a lot to move the next thing and it's called sell me something.
Speaker 2: Good, tell me something, and so basically.
Speaker 1: I want we're all gonna pick a prospect and it doesn't need to be a fit for the commanders, but we're just gonna sell that player to you, the audience, and why do you like him? And you want to start because I was thinking about your royal sales pitch earlier and I thought that should be the.
Speaker 2: No. Listen, I just love just going back through that pitch. I just think he's a weapon, so a royal.
Speaker 1: Royal from Miami, talk from Miami.
Speaker 2: He's fast, he's big, he's wrong when you bring him in the game. The first question defensive coordinator got an X. Who am I putting on him? Safety, corner, linebacker, move guy. I think he can do everything. He's a chest piece. The one thing I think when you when you're building an on me, you want an arsenal, all right. I just can't have one hundred tanks and no planes. I need to have tanks, planes, jeeps, automobiles.
Speaker 1: I need it all.
Speaker 2: I need diversity. I don't need all my tight ends to look the same. I don't need them to play the same. I don't want my running backs do all look the same. I don't want them to play the same, just like my wide receiver group.
Speaker 1: Do you add auroral to this?
Speaker 2: Like I told you, imagine gold line erth said tight with the motion debo to the backfield. Second motion is a roller coming across the formation. Once JD five starts to roll that way, you don't know what to do. You don't know who got who first of all. First thing they got to say is which one of us on debo? This's the argument between the cone in and safety. The next argument is between the safety and the linebacker.
Speaker 1: Who got a roar?
Speaker 2: Guess who that came open? Zach Hurtz for his one hundred and nineteen thousand touchdown. All I'm saying is that dude is a move piece. You can indeed you playing him sparely, all right, So it ain't like he a legit starter he just an alert, just like de Boys alert when he come in defensive playoff, were gonna alert with them to come in when they come in.
Speaker 1: As a pair.
Speaker 2: You don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Don't add achola to it.
Speaker 2: Like it just one problem after another one.
Speaker 1: It's a great pitch. It's a really good I.
Speaker 4: Just say it's one problem after I already told you a great salesperson.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm sold.
Speaker 4: So I just and I know the capabilities that he got, he would brains in his offense.
Speaker 1: I mean, damn yeah. So for me, I'm gonna take an easy one. I did it earlier today on ticket of the draft, and it's Jailen Travis. I have talked to a lot of people and I can't. I think I'm higher on him than a lot of people. But I look at for a late round tackle, you have to have some minimal thresholds to start in the NFL. Right, You have to have arm length, you have to have foot speed. So he's six seven and a half, big old house, he's three forty. He's got thirty five inch arms. You're running five to one forty at the combine. He's got a thirty five inch vertical he transferred from Princeton. So smart dude, t i Iowa State. You watch the first six games of the year at Iowa State struggled a bit. You watch the last six games that played really well. Has a really good feel for being big and being in the way, and for tackles who can pass protect, they usually find a way to play football in the nf home. That's exactly right. So when I look at him, I say, in a in a class that's devoid of tackle talent. Right at the top, it's thin, right, we just we've talked about yah because his.
Speaker 2: Questions about Willi camb we're coaching the bat like every lays one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's then at the top you move down, you're like, well, maybe Anthony Belton, but he's probably gonna be in the third round. Yeah, right, and Scranton have a pick there. You down the fourth, fifth round. There's nobody who can play tackle in the NFL, and out of tackers had to move to go and I see Jalen Travis and I'm like, that's the one that I hold up on a pedestal and say, if you need someone late to play right tackle in the NFL. Yeah, that's the guy. And so that's my sales pitch on Jalen track. They go to seven and a half three forty yeah, five thirty five inch vertical right like r V.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, just like telling the kids were going and we're going, we're going across the United States for the.
Speaker 1: Summer getting that RV and so for the for his moving skills, former basketball player, like I just feel like, yeah for a late round tackle, that's the guy you want to find. Yeah, yeah, so you got one of you. You've been big on Mike Green lately, but.
Speaker 2: I've been been on Mike Green.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna go with somebody who's who's not in nobody's radar, and he's in a lot of people radar. But I know we talked about him earlier. Well we could go and y'all say, y'all ain't like the way you ran Asari? Sorry, Yeah, you know the reason why I'm gonna talk about him because me and my cousin.
Speaker 3: My cousin coached him at Florida State and.
Speaker 4: The first the first kid you know what he is, You know what I mean, Like we could sit here talk about we can sit here and talk about tangibly, but but I'm I want a guy that I know that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be all about football.
Speaker 4: And then when you talking about Adam to a secondary where you know this is probably one one of the most improved secondaries in the whole NFL, I didn't hear it.
Speaker 2: I just saw it.
Speaker 4: I saw these guys go out there and bring in guys ad guys from the safety position, add guys from the cornerback position that I know this kid can learn from. Then you got another guy on the other side that just came in here and just played flat out. And Sandy still just think about what a younger guy going to come in and say, Okay, I want to be like that. I want to I want to be able to be too to what sentence to what picked sentence to bring what did you do last year that made you so special in this defense?
Speaker 3: And with the coaches, I don't have to.
Speaker 4: Say much, but the thing that I'm going to hold up high beyond tangibles and measurables and all that stuff. God here man we know that to him and knows football, all he wants to play is ball. He ain't thinking about nothing outside. He ain't thinking about how fast his car gonna be. He wants to go out there and play football. And he has a size to go out there. And when you talk about one of our guys that were replacing them with and Saint Jews, Saint Juice, he got the sides to go along with it.
Speaker 2: I talked.
Speaker 4: I talked to my cousin brief and I say, hey, bro, what just tell me what to think about him? I watched this game a little bit. What do you think about He say, Tanna, hen't run well. So everybody, you know, they got their up and down you know, thoughts on them. But if you want a guy to come in and play ball, if you want a guy as well coach and that's gonna be coachable, that's your guy, no matter where you're.
Speaker 2: Picking them at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want a football player, he's one of them.
Speaker 1: That's a great sales pitch because I think that's ultimately like the pitcher're gonna get in the in the in the war room. It's that kind of pitch. Like he's a he loves ball, he's competitive, he's tough. When you sit with he hear that. And I watched the film. You know he did run slow, but I see a competitive a dog ass competitor.
Speaker 2: Steady have much, but he stood.
Speaker 1: Out like he's willing to tackle, get up and challenge you. You watch him at the senior ball.
Speaker 2: I think that the first time I've ever seen Santana Field sorry from Florida State. I think he had a look at his act Like y'all don't say they still in Florida, man, I got true sympathy. You know, I know they ain't good, but good whoop them last year?
Speaker 1: Unless I forget I got let's not forget our guy.
Speaker 2: Just can I sell you one?
Speaker 5: Because I have watched a lot of guys this year for the tap to the draft. Probably, No, it's not all right, we already I want the ticket to the draft. We've talked about all these guys, so I'm bringing them up again. But I'm going to sell you in this guy because we didn't. I don't think we sold him hard enough when the last ticket to their draft pod and that's l O Maynor, the wide receiver from Stanford.
Speaker 1: He is so good, Tanna.
Speaker 5: He's six two to ten, He's a true ex He hasn't played a lot of football, as Jeremy Green told us around He's only played like thirty some games. So he's still tailing in freshman Fred Smooth does, but you never know it because he can never.
Speaker 1: Play the same play.
Speaker 2: See have no idea what he's talking about. It.
Speaker 5: But it's this guy that was close actually from Stanford, all right.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Is like the thing that sold me when watching his tape was actually not from last year. It was from twenty twenty three because I wanted to see a match up against a top tier corner. So they played Colorado, which is true. His hunter was on him and he was shut down the first half, didn't get a target his way. The game was getting a little bit out of hand. Stanford comes storming back and he gets two hundred and night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he went off with that game off on he went. He is good. And when I say, when I say, he's wrong, like you said, he ain't playing with two games, you see, I already have a high.
Speaker 1: I'm not the name person.
Speaker 2: I just knew that. I knew who you talk. Once you say he went off the second I.
Speaker 5: Know that June ninety four three, and that's with arguably the best corner in the draft.
Speaker 2: The drafts un bade them green eggs, and hay, what I know and if you really know athletes, you can look at you like, oh, he really doing this and he don't know money, he don't know he wait till you put a brain in his head.
Speaker 1: He got that brain.
Speaker 2: This that what he was he out there like listen, he out there like the crow. He didn't want to brain.
Speaker 4: No, but he did seem raw, you know that game, to seem like a guy that he was doing things that he was like it ain't nothing, really, this is what my my ability can allow me to run out. But if you really get somebody behind him, yeah, and don't let.
Speaker 2: Him get on the team with a real like that say adventurer. They don't use the ability to get over. Yeah, he's gonna turn into a beast like he would be one of them guys that blew him like a and then he.
Speaker 4: All saw a different body type. Yeah, yeah, I mean we don't really good body type. That's a good one right there. Like no, I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I do like that. Hey listen, I agree with Jay on that one right there.
Speaker 1: All right. And just to guy Jason, I just he just walked out and now hater Jason's here, hate, I.
Speaker 2: Don't spun way of the hate.
Speaker 5: It's amazing that there can be hate coming up on the draft.
Speaker 2: It's a time of hope. But it doesn't matter. There's some fans that just have hate on one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most definitely you are guys.
Speaker 5: We just don't have enough draft picks to be effective in this draft.
Speaker 2: I'm upset we're not gonna get that much better. First of all, great teams in his league don't depend on draft picks. Great teams in his league don't go into the year worrying about draft in the first round and need him to store it. If you need your first round and to store you a mediocre team, we are going to play. Draft picks are icing on the cake. Maybe they play, maybe they don't. But on good teams, we don't depend on children. That's how we see it down South, Charing. We don't depend on cheering breach to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I do think it's something that a lot of teams would be concerned about. But I'm not concerned about it really because Adam Peters is our gym. Yeah, and so I look at last year he signed a bunch of udfas. Three of those guys made the team. Yeah, you know they made the active rosters, so there's other ways to get young talented players in the roster. And also if you're more selective with your five and hit on those five, Yeah, and make sure you identify what is the commander, which I think Adam's gonna do, like you increase the hit rate. Then, plus what you're the work you do in free agency. The stuff we did with the trades supplements the draft, right, works together, Right, It all works together, So it's not you can't just look at the picks as the variable because it's part of a larger landscape of how do we do with u DFAs, how do we do in free agency? Like what those picks went to bring in good players?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it's no Laramie Tuns in this draft. So if we gave up the twenty ninth pick, we won Trent. Right, it's bigger than Nino Brown, is bigger than the draft.
Speaker 4: And they showed you in the free agency world, they went out there and got the best of the best. Yeah, when it came time to trade for those guys, they went up there and got some of the most available guys that we can get into trade. If Fred said the best and I hate saying that he said it best. But if you got to go in the draft like we did last year and bank on Jayden Dames to be out there and be the quarterback he was and hit because that was one of those guys you really see you not that we hit.
Speaker 1: We hit. We didn't.
Speaker 2: We didn't only hit with a quarterback when I.
Speaker 4: Right, don't fail me now, Hey, so you don't normally get those opportunities. And so if we had to do that twice we had to bank on hitting again this draft, then we're not a very good team. So that tells you where we drafted that that that were sitting in a great spot. That's why I like us sitting at twenty nine. It tells you that we had a great season.
Speaker 3: But it also tells you that we didn't even have to go up and get more.
Speaker 4: Guys because we have enough. We have enough guys to go out there and be competitive. Now we just want to add to to those guys in this draft.
Speaker 1: Has some young talent, I mean, hater, does that make you feel better? Man? No? No, no.
Speaker 5: While we have too many needs on this team in too many positions to be able to draft best player available, everyone says that, but we just don't have the ability to do it. We're not good enough yet.
Speaker 1: So I've heard this before too, who like what like, what's the biggest need on the team.
Speaker 2: Everybody loved to say past Russia and wide receiver. Then they throw Coney in that. Let me tell y'all something, sick individuals, Huh, this is not the way things go. But the reason we can go best play available is because of what we did in trade scenarios. We needed another receiver to pair with Terry. We got that player in Deebo Samuels. We needed a left star warts left tackle, which these guys don't come free, all right. So the football guys gave us love for what we did for the forty nine ers with Trent Wihibs, so they give us Larrymy Tomsel. So now we don't have to get these guys in the draft because if we just had to depend on a left tackle in this draft to come be Laramie Tompson, it wasn't happening, right. I don't think it's a Deebo Samuels in this draft either. So to get Jonathan Jones, to get wise, to get these guys that been there and done that, we just stacked the roster with depth that we can't find in a draft, depth that we can trust. This is what I get with free agents. That's what I get with trades. Guys, been there, done that depth with trust.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna drop the mic for him.
Speaker 2: But I don't need to tell you nothing.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's exactly right. I don't think. I think when you look at the roster, I don't see a spot where you like, I have to get this guy. Like sometimes you look at teams like they need a tight end, they need this, they need that. Like this is the thing I think fans of our time with. Did we sign the most exciting names in free agency? No? No, But did we sign guys that I've watched, that Fred's watched, as Tantana's watch, that are above average football players? Yes, they're going to make this team better. Yes. Have they added depth? Yes? Do we want to get younger and more talented, Absolutely, But that's what the drafts for and that's where best player available comes in, right Yeah, Because like I don't need it. I don't need to draft an offensive line. I don't need to draft a defensive end. I don't need to draft a corner because of some of these additions. If we do riting depth and creating more talent, I think that's what that means.
Speaker 2: And also I want to encourage y'all don't always go for the new shiny toy. We still got guys like Taylor Owens on this team that want a job. We still get We got Hampton. People forget about Hampton. We got the Meptiste. He's coming into his Give these guys a chance to show you I got Bible.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, and so I think this is what every team goes So I think every fan base goes through a version of this. It's like, yeah, you want everyone wants Miles Garrett, Like you know, shoot, I want Miles Garrett. When you look around the landscape of the NFL, not every team is constructed that way.
Speaker 2: But also they want to sweat from the Eagles and pay him savent to media. So now you can reach free agency? Is reaching overpaying reaching? It's a contest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we don't draft insert prospect here, then we lose the draft.
Speaker 2: We have to get this guy at all costs.
Speaker 5: He's a blue tripper and if you don't go after him, then what are we even doing?
Speaker 1: What pleay do we insert here. I hate this take when I see this on I's crazy I created because it shows me you haven't watched watch enough, right, Like because if you're like, who would you plant your flag for in this year's draft class, like that that you're saying, this player is guaranteed, guaranteed and definitively better.
Speaker 2: Know nobody outside the top team.
Speaker 1: Now he go.
Speaker 2: The thing they gonna say, everybody wants an edge. Everybody wants an edge. If I hit edge one more time, I'm about to lose it. Edge edge edge edge. Now the edge they'll say right now is if Mike Green slide to it, we got to get him, all right, If James P. Junior slides and we got to get I think because they so edge hungry, and these guys actually might be there when we pick it. I think those the two that the fan base would lose it over if we just say they're there and then we trade that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again like it's I just look at like edge is a fine example. We can talk about them, like obviously there's Abdil Carter, who's a different tier, but then you get into like tier three, tier four, and it's marginal. Man, it's the difference between Landon Jackson and a Mecan Buca or Alanta Jackson, Smart Stewart, yeah, or Nick Gordon and you know the kid from Georgia, Michael Williams. Williams. Yeah, it's marginal, right, there's there's blemishes with all these guys. So when I hear fans make this you have to get this player, it's like you haven't watched enough film. It's really what it points down to me. It's like because you would know that this that's not how this works. That's not necessary in this year's draft. And and and of all the years I've covered the draft, this is the one year where it feels like this is it's the least true, right, it's the least true.
Speaker 2: And this is gonna say what you don't want to say is a draft specials. This is the most unsure year of draft speculation of all time. People are unsure about the quarterbacks top the bottom. They unsure about the wide receivers top the bottom. They unsure about the left tackles and right tackles top the bottom. The only positions that they say no, it's some gas in this draft is running back indeed tackle by the too draft I mean position, they're saying, oh, it's some dogs in here, even in that corner. They're saying at the top forty, you know, picks. But after that they feel like it's none there.
Speaker 1: With tight end too, everyone's like at the deep ten end class. I'm like, after you get after the top three four guys.
Speaker 4: Just just you guys talking about the fans and just that question when that question popped that when I first saw the run down, the first thing I popped in my mind.
Speaker 2: I had no player in mind.
Speaker 4: I said, if you don't draft a fan pleaser, you drift, Because that's.
Speaker 2: What it's about.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I watched the pill of the for Eagles boot Donovan McNabb off the stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he took them to four NFC championship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, back to back to back them they're back to back to back. So it's to me, it's all about the fan pleasers. If the fans not pleased with the guys you and I watched.
Speaker 2: I watched the Jet fans cheer when they drafted Zach Will.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So that's how I look at it. I'm not putting the player. It's all about pleasing the fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I mean dropped my to please the fans in April.
Speaker 2: I want to please them in late decembl January, in February.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's one hundred percent right. So is uh hater?
Speaker 2: Do you do?
Speaker 1: You feel good about that? You feel better?
Speaker 5: I feel great, guys. I have a little draft anxiety just because we're getting up there and there's a lot going on and a lot rides on this because you're invested, right team, invested in the success. I want him to do well. I want every pick to hit. Of course that doesn't happen, but I wish it could.
Speaker 2: I just say hashtag fans, don't forget about last year's pick. We see we turned the paid so quick. Now we got some dude that's Marinate getting ready right now? Like they say Edge and I'm saying, Jean Baptiste. Did you see him getting into games last year?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: So quick? Think about it?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: My rookie year, we had an undrafted free agent? All right? Now, I know who I'm talking about. No, you don't, do you know what he's talking about? Your rookie year, Antonio Peers. I forgot about Peers was to die. He was in our club, Yes, Antonio Piers. If they was quick to turn the page in on Tonio, he don't become a Super Bowl winning champion at the Giants and playing here on two number one defenses, if you were just quick to turn the page to the next year's draft, all I'm saying is sometime we got some players that didn't show up their first year, didn't even probably get a chance. Yeah, that's gonna get a chance this year. Dominique Hampton, nobody's talking about him. I'm more hyped up about Tyler Owins than anybody. I think he's a legit staring safety in this league and if he get a chance, he can show people that. That's all I'm saying. Don't forget about the old people on the roster.
Speaker 1: But no, I think that's a great point. And obviously you can tell we're really excited about the draft this year. Can't wait to watch it. Make sure you tune into that live footage right we got we're on an hour before draft starts at seven. We're on at six on for the pick, and then make sure you get that notification button because we might have Adam Peters or Dan quent on to talk about the pick. Which would be extat which would be extremely exciting. And again you're not gonna get that kind of coverage anywhere else. So we're excited. We know you're excited. Please make sure you tune in for that content, and please make sure you like them. Subscribe to this show, to all the other Commander shows, wherever you get your podcast, wherever you watch the show on YouTube. Yeah, I really appreciate it. I think that's another one.
Speaker 2: We'll see you at the National highb on Saturday too, to really celebrate.
Speaker 1: We is going there, There we go, he said, So see you guys there