Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons, to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful.
Speaker 2: Meditation of the day.
Speaker 1: Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you up. Oprah Winfrey. When I first started teaching twenty four years ago, my heart broke to hear of the stories of actors who had no support in pursuing their dreams of being an actor. These were loved ones or close friends who try to discourage them from being an actor. Now, I would never tell anyone to disown their family or friends, but what I will say is that you need a.
Speaker 2: Strong armor to be an actor.
Speaker 1: You need to hear the voice of encouragement because this is a journey. When people speak of negativity, bless them in your head and move on. Fear is what stops everyone from living their true dreams. Don't let it stop you today. I will pursue my dream unapologetically. Before we get started, i'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the black Box. I'll be co hosting with the great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore.
Speaker 1: You know, the thing I love about this show is that I'm always bringing you the best of the best, the best working actors, and I have a wonderful team that always introduces me to the best of the best, and so I just want you guys to put your hands together for actor, producer, director, writer, Will.
Speaker 4: Cat liv.
Speaker 5: Hey, Will, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I am excellent, and I'm so grateful that Lean introduced us, and.
Speaker 2: Also that you got up early for us. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I've rolled out of bed, but you know, well, I'm.
Speaker 1: Glad you're here, so listen. I just want to applaud you for your work. You know, a lot of times as a casting director, we know a lot of faces, but we don't, you know, know you, because you know, we see your work and we follow you. So I have seen your work for quite some time. And to have this pleasure of meeting you, I'm really excited that you're going to share with our Thestians.
Speaker 2: Who are on right now.
Speaker 5: Amen. Amen today.
Speaker 1: So let's start from the beginning. Will, How did how did acting start for you? Is this something that you wanted to do when you were younger?
Speaker 2: Where did it all begin?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 3: I was playing basketball in college, and you know, my thing was I was trying to be like Kobe, you know, but then you realize you're not jumping out of the gym like Kobe Bryant, You're not shooting the ball as good as Steph carry which is on fire right now, so you start thinking about different things.
Speaker 5: And I met a guy at the mall.
Speaker 3: I was buying some G units at the time when he was fifty cent had his G units going out, and the guy had the whitest teeth I've ever seen. So I asked him to said, brother, how you get your teeth? So White said, press white strips. I said, okay, cool, Where are you from? He says, I'm from Maryland. I said, okay, I'm from back that way. I'm from Alexander, Virginia to DC or a DC Maryland area.
Speaker 5: He says cool. I said, well, what do you do?
Speaker 3: He says, I'm an actor And I don't know why, but inside of me, he said, HM always wanted to try that.
Speaker 5: Well, you should come to my acting class.
Speaker 3: So when I went to his acting class, the class that he was going to as Bobby Chance Studios, expression unlimited, and I just knew that that's that was the path that I should go down.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you know, we all talk of we always talk and stress on this show about training.
Speaker 2: Because in my.
Speaker 1: Experience as a casting directors, people think that they can just say some words and that's it. How important is training to you, even to you know, considering the fact that you are a working actor today, how is it How important is it even to today?
Speaker 5: Well? I think it depends, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, some people may just have the gift and they can naturally fall into it and they might not need all the technicality what comes with acting, right, But every great artist must refine their gifts. So for me, I remember my teacher Richie Chancey saying, well, man, when your gift catches up with your talent. So what he was trying to say, You have all this will of gifts that you can naturally do things, but your talent, meaning your skill level, has it called up with the gift you So once that talent catches up with a gift, then you get Michael Jordan in his prime because everything makes sense. Now he can shoot the ball at will, or he give you the fade away. He don't have to go to the hole and dunk on you no more because he knows the game. So that's the beauty of studying. And you never stop studying. I'm always studying. You know, different actors, different people, different behavior. Then it's different levels of study. And you got class study, then you got on set study. That's a whole other thing. You know.
Speaker 5: That is its very important.
Speaker 1: That's an excellent point, and it's very rare that actors talk about that.
Speaker 2: But that is you know, I say that doing your.
Speaker 1: Self tape, that's one thing, right, and then you do a great job.
Speaker 2: You get a.
Speaker 1: Callback, that's another thing, and then you get the job. But the work really starts when you're on that set.
Speaker 3: Actually, the work really starts even before the auditions. Oh true, you know, it's how you show up in the world. How did you feel about yourself? I was doing an audition and my friend that was taping me in Atlanta, Tracy, she was taping another young lady and I'm going over my lines because I got to put the audition on. I had just got it, but I wanted to turn it in because I'm working at the same time. And I hear the young lady reading and it disturbs my spirit that I have to go down and take the computer from Tracy, and I say, hey, listen, you're more than enough. You keep trying to get the lines right. It's not about getting the lines right. But see, in your life, you feel like you never wanted an any chan You feel like you're too old to accomplish the things that you want to accomplish. So you haven't got an audition in a while, so you're banking everything on this one audition. You've already lost because now you're not free as an artist to just go and explore. And after we had that conversation, she begin to cry and then she did the take and it was amazing because now she didn't have all that weight on her that I have to do this, I have to get this right, I have ton't press the castle or if I have to do this. The casting director is always going to cast the role if the role shows up, not will If the role shows up, then that's like, that's the role, that's the person that I want. So when you have that mindset before you even get the material, it.
Speaker 5: Allows you even free to make mistakes because.
Speaker 3: Some of the beautiful moments come from when they're not rehearsed or when they're not you know, so planned out. So I think that starts at the beginning and then you work your way and then when you get on set, it's about do you have a good attitude? Are you going to show up when it's eighteen hour days? What are you going to do when they keep calling you out of your trailer, but they're not ready because they're waiting on the number.
Speaker 5: One to show up to the set.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, how are you going to maneuver around those things? Are you going to always hang your clothes up the same way that they came to you? Are you going to hang the trash up the same way that that trash was empty before you put trash in it. These are things that build excellence in yourself. It's not about the person recognized and that you put the tracks behind the door. It's not about the clothing department recognizing that you're put the close up. It is strictly about you and you being excellent and everything that you do well.
Speaker 1: You sound like you have an amazing spiritual foundation. You also sound like you motivate and inspire other actors in your work, which is great and so kind and generous of you. I have to say, from a casting director's point of view, there there's you know, there are thousands of people who are cleverly disguised as actors, but very few talented people.
Speaker 2: And that excellence and that.
Speaker 1: Work ethic that you are speaking of does not come from everyone.
Speaker 2: And you know, just in my experience over.
Speaker 1: Thirty years in casting, you know, you wonder why there's a certain percentage of actors that work and there are certain percentages that don't and the ones that you talk about, those are the ones that work. Because I believe, and you know, a casting director, we don't have a power, you know, unless we're producing. We strictly, highly recommend, strongly courage and beg and plead. But there are too many other element you know, producers and studio heads and all of that involved. But blessed, our words are matter and mean something. And I believe that the audition process is fifty percent talent and fifty percent personality.
Speaker 2: Because we have to we have to like you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It is really come down to a director saying, out of these two women Tracy, who has the better personality?
Speaker 2: And when you you made.
Speaker 1: A point about getting somebody out of the trailer, I produced a film where our leading actor would not come out out of the trailer because his eggs.
Speaker 2: Weren't cooked properly. It's eggs.
Speaker 1: So you know, I strongly I can't even emphasize enough for actors to really take in what you're saying. Here because work ethic is important, your personality is important. And my company is called the Spirited Actor because my concern is the spirit of the actor, is the morale of the actor, and the work ethic because that is a part of the process as well. So I'm grateful for those words because it's very rare that we hear about that. You know, it's always about, you know, chasing the job. We're trying to get a job, and I believe, you know, the joy is in the journey.
Speaker 2: That's what I believe, because you've got jobs.
Speaker 1: So now that you have a job, and let's start with Black Lighting you know, because you've been on that series for twenty two episodes.
Speaker 2: I believe. When I was doing my research, I.
Speaker 5: Don't even know how many episodes I've been on it.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you. Let me tell you. You've been on twenty two episodes. You guys. Wow, Now you talk about a work ethic.
Speaker 1: What is a day in the life of Black Lightning and especially Will with the COVID situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna put a pin in that, and I'm gonna come back to that in a second. I didn't want to run over the title of your podcast.
Speaker 5: The spirited actor. I believe that when.
Speaker 3: A writer writes down a character on the page, they have written down spirit. That's why always tell actors, if you get the spirit of the role, you know everything you will need to know about that role. So it it allows you to tap in beyond what is written on the page. You actually get into the spirit of what the way the words came from. So I didn't want to run over your title because your title is so important. To always start in the spiritual first and then't make it physical.
Speaker 5: The words go in, then they must come out, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think that's very important and kudos to you for that because.
Speaker 5: That is a divine title.
Speaker 3: Now as far as Black Lightning and COVID, the process right now is I'm in La like Lightning was shooting in Atlanta. So you would test at Warner Brothers maybe three or four times before you get on the plane, or forty eight hours before you get on the plane. If your test is negative, then you get your flight, itenter aarya. It's all depending on if that test is negative. All your contracts are depending on if that test is negative. So you know, and right now, COVID is what I'm hearing is about ten percent of the overall budget, so it's a big part of the whole thing.
Speaker 5: And then you get there and right now what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You have to some shows, you have to you have to quarantine for about five days and then you'll be ready to go to the show. Then some if you're testing in a protocol, then you'll be able to go straight to set. So each each each production company has things a little different, but you're going to be taken to anywhere from three to three to four times a week, and that's pretty much that process, which is.
Speaker 5: Not bad, you know what I mean. I mean, you're guest star.
Speaker 3: You're getting paid two hundred and fifty dollars for it, so they compensate you for your time.
Speaker 5: If you're seriously regular.
Speaker 3: They don't put it in your contract already, so they're not gonna pay you for that.
Speaker 5: But you know, it's good that you know people are working.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it was a little difficult in the beginning because you're rehearsing with the other act, with the other actor with the masks. You know, that was a little difficult to get used to it if you don't feel that connection. But as it kind of rolled back, I think the ads and the producers was letting it be a little bit more lenient, because if we're on set, that means that everybody's negative, that's in that rateting. So you know, you might you won't really need the mask to run rehearsal, and some actors do. So you just fill out the comfortability level with different actors.
Speaker 5: Some people may be a little bit more concerned.
Speaker 3: You know, but once you know they call pictures up, you know, the mask come off, you do your thing, and then when they say cut with the mask back on.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just how how we go. But you know it's beautiful, no, it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I love the fact that actors are adaptable. I did a film in November and the budget was one hundred thousand just for the COVID testing of everyone, and so as a producer you start to think, wow, okay, you know, in the olden days we have this budget. Now we have to incorporate COVID. And then as actors, you know, I even though like you're right, there's a comfort that people have to have, whether wearing the mask and being on set, but you know, the physical aspect of being able to see the face to react and to get that energy. Has that been a difficult transition for you or you know, like I said, you guys are adaptingable.
Speaker 5: Not really, because the eyes are the windows to the soul.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, whatever your eyes are saying, your mouth and ears and face, your expressions will follow, you know. And even if it doesn't follow, you can look into someone in the eyes and tell that they're telling you the truth or if they're lying to you. I remember over Opportunity one of the greatest acts, you know, very great mentor of mind, and he said, well, you know, acting is just looking someone in the face and telling them the truth. And you know, and it's like that is it? At the simplits of it, That's what it is. How much shop are you telling? Even if you're lying, it's still your truth even in that line, at that moment in time. So you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I mean, when.
Speaker 3: People have the mask on, you just look and then you go and then they take it off, you know, okay, and they may give you a little more, little less.
Speaker 5: It just depends on the artist that you're working with.
Speaker 2: That I love.
Speaker 1: I worked with Obabapa Tende in a film Carl Weber, The Preacher's son and got to know him.
Speaker 2: What amazing And then I got here. I got to New.
Speaker 1: York from San Francisco in eighty three and got a chance to see him on Broadway and dream.
Speaker 2: Girls and fell in love.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: That was it. That was my dude, great, great, great person.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you, Will, what is your dream role or what is that role that.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I don't feel like and this is just my first introduction to you, but I really feel a peacefulness to your journey. I don't feel a sense of urgency. I don't feel you tapping out on your recent scratch him. I feel like, you know, And it's such a pleasure. It's such a pleasure to breathe that in because that all of my friends are actors, all of them, and so I'm always you know. That's why I name my company The Spirited Actor. It's about the person inside the actor.
Speaker 2: That's our ar mantra.
Speaker 1: And so I feel like, man, I just feel at ease with you.
Speaker 2: What is that role? What's that role for you?
Speaker 3: I think I'm still completing some of the greats work that they laid down.
Speaker 5: It's like Sidney Poitier, he broke one part of the color Brier I the other.
Speaker 3: It's a be a beautiful thing when an actor can get on stage. And although I'm African American, you see me as an artist, you see me as an actor. I know the shell that I look, but all our shells will passed.
Speaker 5: You know. What will remain is the spirit will remain forever.
Speaker 3: So my goal is when I do work, is that you can see no color, because that allows me to be free. So now when I look at Rose, it may be Caucasian thirty five, but that may identify with my spirit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It may be you know, hey, yeah five.
Speaker 3: I may have to go to Spain get my Spanish up real quick, you know, and then maybe I'll be able to do that. So I want to be free. And that's the same thing I told Mara in Love Is when I was doing Love is Love and we were talking about it and I said, Marrow, your story means nothing if it doesn't touch somebody.
Speaker 5: That's right, And that's the goal.
Speaker 3: The goal is to go beyond what you're watching and actually having an experience. That's always been the actor's goal, even from when it was just theater back in Greece.
Speaker 5: And they was doing all that.
Speaker 3: They will tell you what was to come, what was to come in politics, what was to come in social what customs they wanted to introduce you to.
Speaker 5: And they still do it now with the news. They trying to introduce things.
Speaker 3: They slowly program you to get used to things you know. And so so the actor is so important to telling the world's story, almost like the comedian is the last newscaster, you know, because they able to say everything that the people won't say. That's why I love Dave Chappelle so much, because if Chapelle does not do his thing, then we don't get to go to another level and get the truth because there's no barriers on the comedian to do that.
Speaker 5: And so as the actor, the actor is the one that.
Speaker 3: Is holding the gems in the truth and the revelation of where the world needs to go. That's why I tell actors, never limit yourself. Never let nobody say, oh, you're just the actor.
Speaker 5: You're not.
Speaker 3: You study people all that. You have to study different cultures, different religions. You got to study so many different things to be well versed into the work that you're getting ready to do.
Speaker 2: So well said, so well said will. I met Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 1: When he was nineteen years old and I bought him to MTV and they didn't get him.
Speaker 2: They were like.
Speaker 1: Oh, well he's okay, and this is Ted DEMI was alive during then Joel Stillman who runs Hulu right now. And then two years later they asked me to bring him back for a show and I said, Robin Hood Ben and Tights.
Speaker 2: That brother is gone, but he's still my friend and blessed to this day.
Speaker 1: I've been on that journey since eighty five of you know from the embryo stages, and I think that's the beauty of the job of a casting director to know people before anyone knows their name, and to have and be that person to believe in you now.
Speaker 2: I believe in you now. I don't need you to prove anything do anything. I believe right now.
Speaker 1: And how can I be of service to you in terms of you know, as a casting director, I'll keep calling you in every time I have something for you, and I'll talk about you to my other casting difference and directors and producers as well.
Speaker 2: I think that's what about.
Speaker 3: I want the actor to hear what you just said, because as a young man, a younger man coming up in this game. We sometimes will think that the casting director is against us because they didn't we didn't book the role. You guys are the gatekeepers that are fighting for us when we don't see. So I want actors to know that the casting director is on your side.
Speaker 5: The director is not against you.
Speaker 3: Just because you didn't book five years ago with Tracy doesn't mean that you're not going to book today. Know a lot of times it's saying, oh, when he get this going, Oh, when she get this going, Oh, when she comes into herself, Oh this happens, then she'll be ready. Or sometimes they're just waiting for that right role because you're fitting into the person's puzzle piece. And sometimes your puzzle piece may just be too big, may just be too much liked, and so you can wait for that right puzzle for you to.
Speaker 5: Fit in, you know.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you know, when I'm in roles, I know, okay, well you got to pull it back just a little bit. You're not the lead of this. You must be in service to the lead. I know, I know what I'm capable of, but right now, it's just like when you're playing football, you got to run up a post route or you run up and out. Sometimes you just got to run the route and the ball to be there. It's not about you doing what you want to do, just run the post the ball to be there. Aaron Rodgers is going to hit.
Speaker 5: You if you're in your spot, and that's sometimes in life.
Speaker 3: You just need to be in your spot so that things may open up for you.
Speaker 5: And you never know who's your door.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we pray all the time, God open a door, open a door, open a door, and we think this mystery door will open. What he's telling you the door is Tracy. Tracy is your door for you to get where you need to go. So you have to know that people are doors. There was a door for me. Bickie Thomas has been one of my doors, one of my doors. Kim Coleman has been one of my doors.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: So Kim Harden has been one of my doors.
Speaker 3: I haven't worked with him yet, but Kim had told me something when I was abound twenty six. She said, will don't wait on this game to live your life. Don't wait on this game to not have children and not getting married. And she told me something that was so po I've been doing this over twenty years. A lot of things I didn't do because I was so focused on running my race with the cashing.
Speaker 5: Thing that I didn't do tonight.
Speaker 3: I didn't do this, I didn't do that, And all those things will come for her. But she thought, well enough of me to give me that gym that I keep to keep with me to this day. Because you know, the craftic comes. You know, you work six months, you may not work for two years. You know, what are you doing the meantime? You have more meantime than you have victories or so called losses, because nothing than it is lost, it just feels like a loss. But you have more meantime in between that time. So what do you do with that meantime? Just like oh by Betune, they said this simmy, He said, will you had the day that you arrived nineteen eighty two, you would have the day that you depart, whatever that day is. But the dash it matter in between those dates. God is going to require what did you do with the dash? The dash is important? What you spoke about journey, the dash is important. The dash, the dash, the ups and downs to saying no. The dash is what makes you who you are and refines your character is in that dash. No one's gonna say, oh, he's born in nineteen eighty two, e the part of this time, but look what he did in between those dates.
Speaker 5: That is what's that's what.
Speaker 2: Mappened, that's what matters.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, well, no one in nineteen eighty seven, when I became a casting director, no one gave me any insight, any tips. Really quickly, I called five casting directors, asked them if they could give me tips, if they could tell me how to be a casting director.
Speaker 2: They all hung up on me. I called them back.
Speaker 1: And said, I was a student at NYU. I was writing an article how underrated casting directors were, and that's how I got all the information to start to become a casting director. And one of the things that I used to always say, without actors, we don't have a production.
Speaker 2: I'm a casting director.
Speaker 1: I'm a liaison between you and the director, and I bring the two of you together. Without actors, we don't have anything. So who really has the power. And that's when I started teaching. When I felt I needed to empower the person inside the actor to be that actor and to be the best that they could be. I could talk to you all day. Now, I get it. Lian was going on and on on and on, and I get it. You are amazing. I have two more minutes, will okay? And I want to give them all to you. Whatever you have dropped the most amazing gems. If you got some more you want to drop, I'm giving you the two minutes.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the best thing that I can say is that you know what I did for Lynn and what I did for the other students in my Catlic Academy class is I always pray for them in my private time, and for people who will watch this, I pray that you don't give up, that you don't sit down on your gifts. Maybe you've been rejected, maybe you felt that you're not good enough, or you don't fit into the box that the world is calling.
Speaker 5: You to fit into.
Speaker 3: But there is a place for you, and you do matter, and don't let yourself be pulled away from what it is beating in.
Speaker 5: Yourself as a child.
Speaker 3: As a child, we're free to think and imagine all the things that we want to do. But life happens, meaning bills, meaning lost is Sometimes people dealing with COVID, you lose family, members and you begin to close up.
Speaker 5: And I remember macting coach Richie Chance, who said.
Speaker 3: Will don't lose that kid like thing about you because life was beating me up. And when life beats you up, you can't cry on c because you're building blocks in yourself because you're dealing with life. It's important as the artist, as a human being, to stay flexible, to stay moldable. Always be that potter and that clay on the wheel. Let the potter mold you. Sometimes you have to be crushed, but the crushing is the beautiful thing because after the crushing comes to victories. That's why you can never ask the cashier how much the olive oil costs. You have to ask the olive because the olive went through the crushing for the oil to come out.
Speaker 5: When TDJ spoke that.
Speaker 3: Message, I was in the crushing process of my life and I had to go through the crushing for the oil to come out.
Speaker 5: So maybe you may be.
Speaker 3: In the crushing stage, or maybe you're in this stage where your oil is shiny, but there will always be a crushing stage no matter what level you are at in life. So be relaxed, be of service, and the best is you have to come.
Speaker 2: You are the best. I am so grateful to have this introduction to you.
Speaker 1: You have blessed my audience, you have blessed my team, and continue blessing us.
Speaker 2: Will. I would love to reinvite you back to the show.
Speaker 1: You can talk some more, because there is a piece within you that is settling and I can only imagine that people who are fortunate to be your friend and be in your energy are very very grateful and they know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: So one more thing I'll say real quick, because you made me think of an eagle. You know, when you're going through storms of life, don't rebuke the storm because the only way ego cleans its wings is in the middle of a storm. The only way and ego tests its pinions to see if they're strong enough is in the middle of a storm.
Speaker 5: The only way Ego.
Speaker 3: Goes to the highest heights is in the middle of the storm. Storms will come, but storms come to take you to your next level. So don't rebuke the storm. We all have storms of life, but the storm is meant to take you to the next level, just like them. Hater said, they didn't give you any information about being a cast and the record, but that storm took you to ask a question, took you to where you are now so that you can remember, Hey, you need haters, you need people to push.
Speaker 5: You to the next level.
Speaker 3: So be at peace, you know, because that storm is meant to bless you, not the harmony.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: Amen, we welcome storms unapologetically because you know there's light at the.
Speaker 5: End of the tunnel. Yes it is.
Speaker 1: Then everybody stand up, put your hands together for our guests, mister Will Catlet and Will we are blessed to have him.
Speaker 2: He's going to stay with us, you guys for class and session.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with.
Speaker 2: Me Tracy Moore and you know where we are.
Speaker 1: Class in session my favorite, and we are still blessed to have Will cat Lit with us. So sit down, sit back, because you know he's going to drop some more jewels on us.
Speaker 2: We have Spirit Actor loved I and our writer in residence.
Speaker 1: Lean Amado, heyleen Ry, and we have Julisa Caprie Spirit Actor alumni.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, and Elsa is going.
Speaker 1: To put on her other cape and she's going to read the narrative for you, Will.
Speaker 2: So is everyone ready? Hmm? Yeah, Okay, so on action Elsa.
Speaker 4: It's a stick up written by Leam a model exterior sidewalk to day. Pam is following Jess down the street.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe you got me doing this. What happened when we ride together? We die together? No?
Speaker 4: No, this is just dumb.
Speaker 2: Well what about laying in life out for bread? Are you serious? I know you were not using a Bible verse.
Speaker 1: We're prepping a rob a candy store.
Speaker 2: No, I am not doing anything. Okay, so why did you come in? I came to make sure that nothing happened to you. Oh you really do rob for me? Whatever? Just throw inside, Jess, ladies have arrived.
Speaker 4: Pam gets to the door, gets the door for Jess and continues to follow her through the aisles.
Speaker 3: You know, all the years I've known you, this is like the dumbest ship that you've put up with, all because your man thinks that you don't have.
Speaker 2: A wild side.
Speaker 4: Like that's so stupid that you didn't follow this?
Speaker 2: Okay, whatever, Look, I wouldn't be so cracking yourself. Then why I don't know how to be wild? Okay? Well, can you just hurry up? My palms are sweating?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Oh, can you just shut up. Look, I am nervous as it is you're nervous. I just saw my entire career flash from my eyesing you're the one that's nervous.
Speaker 4: A simultaneously break convo to smile like the little girl passing by.
Speaker 2: Career. Shut up, you should be thanking me, but you need to loosen the hell up. Jess, I am good the way that I am. Okay, why does she get away from me? I don't want to be able to see you around me in case you know what, Please, that will be the best thing that happened to you. Look. I just saw Marcus's new girl, and she looks like a bad bitch. And you over here sticking up a candy store in your librarian skirt. Everything just changed. What kind of bad bitch? The type of does some shit like this black eyeliner tat it up?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: A little titty Okay.
Speaker 4: Sam starts grabbing shit stuffing into her purse and pockets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 4: Jes laps Pam on the ass and they split up.
Speaker 2: It's a stick up. See wow, thank you ladies. Stick up all right, I'm gonna throw it to.
Speaker 5: You will well.
Speaker 3: It's hard to kind of do it on this because I can't see them on the same screen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I'm flipping. I'm flipping back and forth.
Speaker 3: As you know, Lin gives her lines, and at least it gives her lines. But it's it's cool though, because I can hear it. Okay, the moments that I like were the most quiet moments in this in this piece, you know, before Lynn has grabbed the candy, because those are the real moments. So what I would say is that even in both of you guys as acting, it's always find those moments that are the most truthful. And if you find it when the script, it may be way down in the script, but that would indicate how you're supposed to play and what the transitions will be, because if you find that real moment, then you'll know as you're tracking what to get to from the top to the beginning.
Speaker 5: So like you can tell.
Speaker 3: That the young Way doesn't really want to do this, and blah blah blah they in the store, then they want to stick up, you know. But when it came to that real moment about being a bad d, I t h to me that was the turn of the scene and so you can have those moments even more in the beginning. But other but other than that, I thought I thought it was great from what I can see. It's something I can't really bring it now because I would have had to see y'all. You know, I can look both of y'all at the same time and I can say, Okay, she gave that line like this, he gave this.
Speaker 5: Line like that.
Speaker 3: But uh, Jalisa, you you have great instincts, you know what I mean. It's just a matter of time before things really pop off for you.
Speaker 5: And I've seen you because I've saw one of your monologues.
Speaker 3: This is actually the first time me seeing Lynn and you got this thing sense, this this this flair, this beauty, this rulnerability you know which is which is interesting and I believe that will be your ticket to get to where you need to go the writing and all that too. But you just pop when I'm watching you. You pop off the screen, you know, So don't put the acting down.
Speaker 5: It's there.
Speaker 3: It's just a matter of walking into the right situation for you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: For both of y'all.
Speaker 3: You know when I saw because Jalicia is a piece that she did. I'm like it was one that Viola Davis did. Correct, Yeah, Princess, I'm like, I like she gave Biola for her money in that audition, you know. And so that's one of those things that I talk about because sometimes you got all that fire, that's a movie star fire, and sometimes we're trying to put that.
Speaker 5: Into a coach star and a guest star.
Speaker 3: It's not going to work there, right, So don't so don't you know, be discouraged. It's just a matter of a moment for the both of you. Yeah, I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: Well, you are so generous and so kind because these are words that I say to both of these I don't both of these ladies.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to tell you how many years because they live in ranges age range.
Speaker 1: However, I echo those words because I when you get a chance to go to Alabama and see and go to the museum and see the work that Julisa did in this monologue, it bought.
Speaker 2: Elson and I to tears.
Speaker 1: We cast this museum for Byron Stevenson and literally just she had there was no dry eye in the room when Byron directed it and we filmed it, and amazing.
Speaker 2: So and Leenn.
Speaker 1: I just remember just a young kid and her dad putting money in my hands, saying after a showcase, she's doing your next class, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, I don't know what my next class is. He's like, I don't care. She's gonna study with you.
Speaker 1: And loved her as an actress and now as a writer as well.
Speaker 2: So I just want to thank you again.
Speaker 1: Will you are wonderful, And ladies and gentlemen again, put your hands together for our guests. Will cat Lit And you know I'm gonna call him again, you guys, because you know how we do we can we bring you back on.
Speaker 3: More gym, one more Jim, one more gym, one more Jim. The people that the people that ever watched this, and I'll tell this to my students all the time.
Speaker 5: Don't wait on the job to celebrate.
Speaker 3: Go eat your favorite meal, go cook your favorite meal, go to the restaurant of your choice, and celebrate before the job comes. Every time I've done that, a job has come to me. Me and my wife were saying, I think it's time to celebrate. There's no job insight, money baby low at the time.
Speaker 5: But as soon as we do that.
Speaker 3: We're now pushing the envelope for the celebration to come. We just did it last night. You know where a buddy of mine has been, you know, at that point where he's been getting jobs, but it ain't really popped off just yet. I said, brother, let's just celebrate. Let's celebrate what is about to come. And we did that last night. And I'm excited because I know he gonna get a phone called hey.
Speaker 5: I got this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, but we already celebration, so it has no choice but to come.
Speaker 5: So don't forget to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna celebrate you before we make off. We're gonna celebrate. We'll tat with ladies and gentlemen. So we will be back up the Spirited After podcast with me Tracy Moore for Give Love and now it's time for Give Love. Growing up in San Francisco, California, dreaming of being in the entertainment business was just that a dream. I didn't know how challenging it would be. All I knew was prayer and I believe God would make away. So in nineteen eighty three, when my two friends left for New York City, that was my chance. I was scared, but I did it anyway, I got on that plane, faced my fears, and planted my feet in New York City for now thirty nine years, no regrets and grateful to know that when you allow fear to live in your head, you miss out on the greatest life that you can ever imagine. Be fearless, don't forget to look out for us on our new show, Inside the black Box. My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids.
Speaker 2: We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited Podcast. Thank you,