Speaker 1: Sometimas white. You're listening to Fish on first on Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 2: Fish and Filtered Episode one, where we're at the mid season point, just over eighty one games played for the Miami Marlins. So so we're gonna give our mid season awards. We'll do MVP, cy Young, Best Win, worst Loss, and Biggest Surprise, and then the first half Prospect of the Year as well. I'm here with isaacazouit Aj ramos Aj. How's the vacation? We saw it ran into Tom Kohler, So how cool was that? How was the vacation just away you know, from from the baseball side of things for a bit.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know that part being away from the baseball side of it is cool. And I didn't have to do serious XM radio and I have to do anything that was cool to kind of get my mind off of that. I watched I looked at box scores. For the most part, I didn't even look at my phone. But it was cool being around. But I mean, I think with all parents, when you as they know, when you take your kids on vacation, it's not really that much of vacation because you're you're dealing with the kids, but overall, man, it was a really good time. And yeah, seeing Coler, he was walking by on the boardwalk and I was like, that guy looks like Tom Kohler. But when I played with Coler, probably the last time I saw Coler, Coler was in not as good of a shape as he is now. He got jiu jitsu and he had the chisel jaw, and I'm like, damn, that dude looks like a handsome you know, like the handsome squid word, but the handsome Coler version. I'm like, okay. And then so I'm looking, I'm like, is that him or not. If I would have recog like knew it was for sure him, I would have jumped on his back and put him in a hole and said look alive, and like give him a little hold. But because he does jiu jitsu and anyway saw him, we chopped it up for a little bit. He was on vacation celebrating his fortieth birthday. He was out there with him and his wife on a real vacation. They're out there for a couple of nights. So it was cool to run into him. He looks really good, and yeah, there he just look at look at him man, like when we were playing shit, when we were playing like he was a little bit on the thicker side. I will say he probably used that as energy as well. You got to have some fat on you, you know, when you're a starting pitcher, you got to absorb those innings. Uh. But now he looks really good man. And uh you look at that jaw looking looking chiseled man. So it was cool to see him. We chopped it up and looking forward to you know, when I'm out in Miami again and I stay at my house in Jupiter to kick it with him out there.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, So let's talk about the Marlins Man twenty and six in the month of June. That's the best record in a month long spanning franchise history. Isaac, Like, what do you You're on faul Territory. You spoke a little bit about it too, But like, if you have to like pinpoint into one thing that really worked out for this team in the month of during that that led them to this, what would it be.
Speaker 4: It's like I said on the show, it's just every single part of this froster has been doing their part. And if I had to choose one, I'd lean towards the offense. I mean, there's everyone in that lineup that's playing most days is contributing at a high level, and that's what's allowing the starting pitching take a little bit of a breather and know that they don't have to be perfect. And that goes a long way for both the relievers and the starters. When you have guys like Ryan Gusto and Tyler Phillips come into pitch meaningful innings, they don't need to be perfect, they don't need to go five shutout. They can just simply know allow a couple of runs, to know that their offense will pick them up. And you know, we saw what they've done in Colorado so far. Recording this on July second, before they wrap up a four game set in Course Field, and they are spraying balls all over that city of Denver right now. It's really fun to watch Owen Casey, Joe macgriff and ConA have all hit balls over four hundred and fifty feet. I know they called it four to thirty three on griffs, which is a bunch of horse hockey. It's just professional at bats up and down the lineup top to bottom, and I would say that's the main contributor to this, to the most successful month that I've ever seen. I know the twenty twelve May was berserk, and for them to have a better win presentage than that month, holy crap, they must have been really good.
Speaker 2: Aja, you pitched in Colorado for a little I think just a little bit, and you have pitched before there as a former player. How tough is it just to do what you know guys like Sandy or and Max have already done, which is, you know, keep their team in a position to win. But you know they have walked a lot of guys and Max had that one bad inning. Just what do you look at how do you kind of evaluate their outings so far? And then obviously talk about the offense mac Casey like they've gone bombs away in this series.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the biggest thing I feel like, Well, first of all, I actually had good numbers in Colorado when I pitched there, and because it really forced me to try to get on top of the ball, and always leaving Colorado always felt best because I was able to manipulate the ball a little bit more easier because you're you're now at sea level and the ball moves the way you want it to, and my stuff would normally get sharper. So going into pitch to Colorado, you really have to one hydrate because you're playing in elevation, and two you really have to adjust your sights. And the way you do that is in catch play. When you're playing catch, you're seeing how the ball's moving, You're seeing how the shape is and everything. And then when you throw a bullpen, I would always throw when we first get there, I would throw a short box, which is a shorter length of a bullpen, So I'd throw like at fifty six feet on the mound. I get the catcher to come up so that I can get a feel of what my ball is doing, and I throw it like at seventy eighty percent so that I can get a feel and understand where my sights are. So that's what I would do there now. As far as how they performed, you know, I think the sinkers and changeups have had the most effect of the altitude. You see Max's change up when you threw it, it moves seven inches less than it normally did. When he threw his slider. It moved an inch less when he threw his sinker. Though he gained almost like almost a full velocity a tick of velocity on his sinker, and you can say, oh, that's good, But when your body is used to releasing the ball at a certain point with a certain velocity, that's an alteration you have to make. So at times it gets tough out there. So pitching in Colorado really challenges your ability to actually pitch because things aren't gonna move the same. And you know, Max has had one of those games where it didn't go his way. Happens, it was bound to happens, his first blip of the year, but overall, he still was able to keep his team in a good enough position to to in striking distance basically, even though it didn't happen. And URI's He's us his fastball, well, his his slider actually broke more in Colorado than in previous games, and his sinker and change up didn't really move as much. But you know Uri has electric stuff and was able to do that. But as far as hitting goes, sometimes when opposing teams go playing in a place like Colorado, they can tend to get big because they know that they lift the ball up in the air, more than likely they hit it good, it's going to go out, so sometimes they change their approach. I didn't see that from the Marlins. I saw them keeping the same approaches and the ball was just flying out. That's the thing about being consistent, not trying to do anything different, because if you're on time and you have that same good swing, what you do in other stadiums is going to be another ten to fifteen feet more. So there's no need to try to do anything else. And that's what this young Marlins team was able to do is just just continue to establish their understanding of process and allow that to go to work, and then that's how they're able to score the amount of runs and have the performance that they've had so far.
Speaker 2: One guy I want to talk about, Isaac Whodn, fortunately just continues to struggle. Is Jacob Marcy. Really tough series for him, really tough road trip overall. But you look at all the opportunities he's had, especially in Colorado, He's had multiple opportunities with the bases loaded to get something going. And fortunately it's just a combo of like bad luck just knocking at bats. He's he has a six sixteen ops within his last two months. He has a one ninety seven batting average within those last two months as well. What do you seeing with Marcy at this point? We've seen the Martins give a quick cook to players where they send them down and then hope that they could really get things going. We saw it recently with Norby. We saw it with Burt, who's back up obviously leaders down in Jacksonville. Grand Poly's down in Jacksonville. How much longer do you think the mars will continue to have Jacob Marsiy in the lineup. He's playing almost every day too. It's not like he's a platooning, you know, he's playing almost every single day. I don't think he played yesterday for the first time in a while. But how much longer do they give Marcy? And at this point, if you're in a position where you're going to compete, you need to add to this roster. Is a center field or something you have to look for in the trade market that could hit. Because the defense in the base running isn't the problem with Marcy. It's right right now the offense.
Speaker 4: He can't hit all right. It's tough to gauge Jacob Marcy at this point, he went there was a little bit towards the end of May or early June, where he looked like he was starting to get it going a little bit. But over his last ten games, he's two for his last thirty six. He's not really walking. He just doesn't look he doesn't have that confidence at the plate at this moment right now, which is just frustrating.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The difference between sending a guy like him down and Connor Norby and HERBERTA. Hernandez and Akusi Ramirez is that he does add value in the other fastest of the game, which is excellent center field defense, excellent base running. I believe he leads a team in stolen bases, so it's not as much of a requirement to send him down, although it is seemingly a black hole in that lineup spot for him right now, two for his last thirty six. It's just it's especially in a place like Colorado, where you're team literally got twenty one hits in a game and you're the only one sporting a gooseg It's tough, and I think games like that really open your eyes a little bit. But I don't think they'll send him down for a while anyway, unless this really continues to snowball on him. Like I said, he does continue to provide value the other places that Codnor, norby Bert and Augusty Rimirez were not, So I think it was a little bit easier with him because they're not hitting than what else are they contributing. So with Marci, I think he's got a little bit more runway than those players did. But you're right, they're gonna have to get something going from him. Cam Ginerella, I know he's maybe talking about him later. I don't think he's anywhere close to big league ready yet. But the good thing that Miami drafted him second last year because he could be kind of a similar ballplayer to Marsity in some ways.
Speaker 2: And real quick, Isaac just wanted to touch on this. Tomorrows are carrying three catchers on their roster. Now we saw this last year. It's Brian Olveraretto, it's Joe Mack, and it's it's Liam Hicks. What do you think is the thought process behind that. I don't know if you've spoken anyone in the organization about this, because it's certainly interesting that they did this right and they decide to bring back Kicks and Grand Pauli, who to his Credit had a really good serve, Louis gets option, and now you're left with a third base combo of Leo Jimenez and Javier Sonoha. So I found that to be a little interesting because I thought Paully definitely was the best of the three, at least the better of the three. Where do you think they stand on that Navaretto did actually catch a game. I think this looks like it's more of it'll be a Hicks and Stours at first base type thing, and they'll swap the DH spot too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was surprising to me. Pauli going is you don't really send a guy like him, You don't call him back up just to send him back down for Liam Hicks. It just felt a little bit strange. We know how they feel about Navaretto. I think their goal is to maybe keep him post playing career in some capacity in the organization. But I'm not sure if you know, in the middle of a playoff hunt, if now is the time to be holding a roster spot. We know what he can do behind the plate. We've seen him throw a guy out already this year, But with Pauli, I'm not sure you could have showed more in his two games that he played since getting called up, and they just send him back down when he offers excellent defense at third base, left headed bat. I know they're a little bit they would like some more right handed hitting. We know that for a fact, So maybe they felt it was a little bit superfluous to have him on the roster. But it felt a little strange. I have these three catchers there splitting time when you're really not gonna put any of them at first base, with Stalwars pointing their son. It was a head scratcher for sure.
Speaker 2: All Right, So let's get into our mid season awards. We're gonna do MVP Cy Young, the best and worst loss of the season, the first first half, prospect of the year, and then at the end we'll do each one kind of like a prediction time, one realistic trade target that we think the Marlins will acquire, assuming there are in any position to buy, which at the moment they're currently tied for to that third wildcard spot, but Saint Louis does have the tiebreaker because just I think it's like a one zero point one percent higher one percentage than the Marlins. But let's start with them. V I think this one's going to be consensus. But Isaac, I'll let you start. Who is the Marlins MVP in the first half of the season.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a team leader at f WAR and it's their starting shortstop, and it's Auto Lopez. I don't think they could have They've had a better individual season in a good bit from a single player, back to back seasons over three and a half war. He's going to probably reach five this season. And it's just been really a breath of fresh air to have such tremendous upside and talent at that short supposition, so much so that we haven't seen in a long time that, I say, since Hanley Ramirez. Otto Lopez is having one hell of a year.
Speaker 2: Hey, j I'm assuming yours is Auto as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's hard to go with anybody but Auto at this point.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's he's been consistent throughout the year. I think whenever he went on this this kind of role, people were kind of thinking, all right, but how long is he gonna be able to extend this? How long is this going to keep going? And he keeps extending it. I mean, the way he takes a be's it's something that his back to ball skills is unreal it. It reminds me of sort of like an old school player. Sometimes, like he gets the two strikes, he shortens up, hits the ball to right center. He doesn't. He never seems like he's out of a of an a B. He never gives him away. Then when he's on the bass pass, he runs a bass pass really well, and he posts. He plays a premium position and he plays almost every day, and he plays it. He does a really good job at shortstops. So I think this is the spark plug for the Marlins. He's the mister consistent and uh, you know, he's a guy that I think we've we've all said this before that you know, probably has a would have had a good shot to start the All Star Game if he was on any other team, possibly because of how how great he's performing and and he's he's uh yeah, he's he's the All Star man. He's been. He's been unreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Auto right now leads all Baseball and batting average hits. He's tied for second in doubles. Actually, he's up there in triples as well. He has four triples this season, which they did not expect to see Otto there, but here we are. But yeah, that is the team MVP by far auto. I think he got off to a little bit of a slow start in terms of the defense, but he seems to finally be picking it up and definitely helps when you have some consistency there with your partner Xavier Edwards at second base who probably was a contender for this award as well, and I'm sure Max was too, but and Liam Hicks too. He deserves some love too. He's been really good, especially you know, came off the eel and he's been good.
Speaker 7: People dehydration sucks. Quints electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the.
Speaker 8: Time, somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor, I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 7: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qu i n ce dot com slash fou l for free shipping in three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the FEUD and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: But Cy Young, I think this one's also unanimous. Age, I'll let you start off. I'm assuming you're gonna go with Max. And if it is Max, why is he the all star for the Marland suit? Why should you join Auto lobas in Philly?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, I mean so, yeah, it is Max Mayer. That's no surprise. I think if you ask most Morelands fans, they're going to say Max Mayer. And he's just been consistent man, and to be able to turn that leaf to be able to turn to flip that switch to overcome some of the things that were limited before is huge, and because because everyone that's in the big leagues has a certain ceiling that they can achieve, and it's not often that that you that you see guys achieve that ceiling. And Max Meyer is getting close. He's getting close to that ceiling to where you can see a consistency of that. And so the way he's been able to flip it mentally. Now, this last start will challenge him mentally a bit. Maybe possibly in the past, maybe one of those bad starts kind of progressing to another bad start, But I feel like he's flipped the switch with mentally to be able to flush whatever happens, whether good or bad, and go out there and be consistent. So what he's been able to do, man, I mean he matched the seat the franchise best start record with nine to zero. You know, he's worked deep into games, he's leading the rotation in strikeouts every fifth days pitched, given the team a chance to win, and you know, honestly, going down, let's say the Marlins continue on this process, He's gonna be one of the guys that's gonna help you know, get to the playoffs and help win some playoff games, you know. So you know, he's he's been everything that the Marlins needed, and it's been really really fun to watch Isaac.
Speaker 2: Is Max Smyer an extension candidate for this team. I know he's on a little on the older side of things, but when you look at extension candidates, stone though, the guys that we spoke about in the off season unfortunately just haven't lived up to that to garner an extension. And then now we're talking about like, hey, maybe Joe Mack like this is like this is a legit player, right, But Max Smyer, I mean they did something to this guy where they added these pitches. They didn't think the fastball was good enough last year, it's improved this year. I'm assuming this is also your your Cy Young. If it's not, you can mention who your sy Young is. But is this an extension candidate for the Marlins.
Speaker 4: I won't no offense taken that he's on the older side of things, since he's twenty seven and I just turned twenty eight a couple of days ago. Nofense, But Max Meyer, I'm not sure, I'll be honest, I'm not gonna act it. I don't know. I don't think so. They've got him for three more years under club control. Who knows what the next collective arguing agreement will entail, whether they'll need to add some payroll. Maybe that's the guy that you can extend. But it's just one season. Since he was drafted in twenty twenty. This is the first time he's really broken down in a big way. And kudos to him. He's having one hell of a year. He should be a nationalgue All Star. I'm not sure if they if they want to, they need to. I think their sites are focused on maybe other guys to extend, but I really don't know if he's the guy to extend their ability concerns and whatnot. However, he is most certainly my Cy Young Award winner for this first half of the Marlin season. I know wins don't really matter as much, but if you're nine and one and he just sa his first loss on July first in Colorado after just giving him wonder and run, he's sporting a minuscule two five three e r A. It's a three win pitcher. He's just he's leading this staff in every way and that's the stuff with a pretty good Samuel Cantada. So without a doubt, Max Meyer is the is the scion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Max right now a two point three f four ninth in the National League, and his e r A right now is also I believe top ten, Yeah, sixth in the National League. So you should be in Philly. There's there's another way to put it. This one I found pretty tough. Best and worst, best win, worst loss, Isaac, I'll go to you first. We could start with the win. There's a lot of them to go through. There's some good wins for sure, but best I couldn't pinpoint one. There's a couple that have in my head. But I'll see what you guys have to say and then I'll make my choice.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see, well for the best for them for the best win. I am a sucker for pitching duels, love zero zero ball games and hence the bird grants Land was awesome. However, I think a very big win for this team was Sunday. You were there, Kevin Sunday at Tropic Canna Field, that game that sandy pitch gave up a run. Burt ties the game with a home run.
Speaker 2: Well correct, due that was the Saturday game, but continue Sunday they lost Sugar You're right, that was Saturday.
Speaker 4: The Saturday win. Burt ties it and then they get to go ahead running the ninth, Fairbanks flows the save, and then they score away. It was an eight runs in the tenth inning. I think that was really a hell of a ball game, just so many a roller coaster of emotions for that one. Because you think they're gonna lose, no doubt whither they're not going to score. Bert comes back and hits a home run. I think it was his first of the year, which is just shocking and just a whole turn of events for that ball game. I think that was one of the crazier wins of the season.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jay, so mine's going to be a little bit. It is a win, but it's more of a series win for me. And that was whenever they beat the Nationals because that started a extremely hot June. It started consistently playing. It started one of the best months in franchise history and honestly provided some confidence to a club who had been inconsistent of the previous months. And you know, Max Meyer dominated for seven innings the offense. I believe that was a series when they went back to back to back homers, and from that point forward, man, they've really cemented themselves as a legitimate wild card contender instead of simply just trying to stay around five hundred. So for me, that was one of the biggest wins was that series sweep of the Nationals. That propelled them basically to where they are now and helped them gain ground, help them get confidence, and kind of helped absorb a little skid that could come later, because that's gonna happen. You know you're gonna go through a point where you don't not playing as good baseball for whatever reason. You know the dog days of summer are coming pretty soon. So to put yourself in position to stay in striking distance and for the end of the year to be able to play your best baseball. I feel like they that set them on the right path and put them where they are now.
Speaker 2: So Isaac took the one I was originally gonna say, the Tampa game.
Speaker 4: I was there.
Speaker 2: That was a fun game. I'm gonna go with the Marlins the last age I was here for this one. Actually the Marlins win against the Yankees. The one way they scored six unanswered. The Marlins had kept it pretty close to the Yankees the day before, they should have won. Bullpen imploded to come back and do what they did, especially with how crazy that was where Pete had to start the game. Yes, Chris Paddock was Marlin, you were supposed to start that game. Went in there and kind of kept you in it. The Marlins went out there and scored six un answered. Graham Paulli with a huge hit. At the time, I thought that was a huge one for the Marlins. That was a fun game too. Easter Sunday, you'll take it. The other one. I was thinking that was the Sandy complete game. That was a fun game too. Just the way he pitched, the way he looked early on in the season was great. And I mean any of the June games are fun, right. The Martins of that game against the most recent one I would look at is like that Cardinals game. The first one that was a fun game. It was a close game. Max Smyer pitched one. Yeah, it was a great game. You had like the little ring deling in between. I'm gonna go with the Marlins went over the Yankees. You could even look at the Dodgers one too, the one after where Tyler Phillips finally got in and got the save. I think that'll lead to worst loss. But yeah, but Isaac, yeah, worst loss. You could go for it.
Speaker 4: I thought about that Dodger loss. So you can't call a loss against the best dynasty in the history of basel off loss even though it really maybe it makes it more fresh, maybe it should be. But my tough loss was when I was on my vacation and in Atlanta, that game on April fourteenth, where Pete Fairbanks is using the eighth inning. They got a couple run lead and Dom Smith just rolls a ball up center field to win the game for Atlanta at the bottom of the eighth. I remember watching that at the bar in Jamaica. I'm like, oh shit. It was early in the season, and I don't love to put so much weight on a game and a loss that was literally two weeks end of the season. But that one was just a gut wrench, if I remember correctly, it was. It was a tough one and it sort of started a little bit of a of a losey streak as well. So that one is my tough loss.
Speaker 2: Go for it.
Speaker 3: Uh, my tough loss was when they played the Mets. That when they got the final game where they got swept and they lost ten to one to the Mets. And I guess that's all I could say with that, man, but that was horrible. You know, I was there calling that game, and man, it just looked it just the vibe was just off. And you know, Jack was like, hey and Steven, uh, you know the guys that are on the radio, Jack McMullen, Steven Strong. They were like, you know, how do you recover from this? What do you do? And I'm like, honestly, you flushed this whole series down the toilet. That's what you do. You don't think about anything that just happened. You just let that go and you focus on, uh competing against the Nationals, which I think that I believe that was the next series if let me see real quick, if I'm correct, I think yep, And that's whenever they they kicked off their their their good June. So to me, that was the worst loss of the year so far, but one that propelled them to their best UH win in series win. I feel like over the Nationals that propelled them to where they are now. But yeah, I remember I was sitting there like, man, they getting worked like this against the Mets, Yeah, it would getting work, man, just getting punching ribs and they just had to take it. It's like all right, you know, move on, let's go to the next one. And they were able to turn the page and you know, then the rest is history. With how they performed in June.
Speaker 2: That really was a low point and that may have been the lowest point of the year when they got out of Queen's We thought it was over at that point, like you know, you're tiring in starting to think like maybe it's over. But I'm going to go further back than both of you, and I'm going to say that it was the game against the Reds. I knew it, dude, where they took out Sandy and they eventually imploded. There's no other way to say it. That was by far one of the most frustrating moments in that and especially it's just not just because they lost, Like what Sandy said after where he felt like they need you want to be spoken to. And I'll say this, it was the Colorado start where Clayton came out and he spoke to Sandy, so he kind of did he finally kind of realized, like you got to talk to him.
Speaker 6: It's like Mish asked him after that, would you have done anything differently? No, not at all, and then he does it differently every time after that, It's okay, like, yeah, you you know that one wasn't done well, like what he did.
Speaker 4: It completely differently every single time he was taking out Sandy. He talks to him first. Now he learned his lessons, which is funny.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that is that was frustrating for a couple of days too, because they should have they should have won that game. That game was won for them until they literally talk him out. I think we did put in like Bender, I think, and and he ended up blowing it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's never Bender wasn't He wasn't right just yet. Yeah, because honestly, that is the right move. Now, how they went to do it was not the right way to do it, obviously when you think about it analytically and like trying to check your boxes, like that is the right move, except for Bender wasn't, uh the version of Bender that we've seen recently, you know, before his injury. So yeah, that's uh that that that one was a tough one right there. I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 4: Especially when you just consider all of the out of you know, off the field of ramifications that that brought in, all the negative pr all the quotes post game. It really felt like the world was colliding on everyone, on all of us. And fortunately and now it just feels like a fart in the wind.
Speaker 2: Real people probably forgot this happened now, the way that they've been playing this last Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I said, like I said, if no one will remember, and hey, well we remember it because we were there in it was just a tough day. Man. We saw Cleon get out from his chair and I'm like, oh shit, he's gonna do it now. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: This podcast is brought to you by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida, offering Miami's best jet ski and boat adventures. With six jet ski locations and over one hundred and twenty boats, there's something for every style and every budget.
Speaker 3: Ride.
Speaker 2: Jet skis right in front of the Downtown Skyland and fairris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as little as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way, the boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. Their reservation based only the book called three or five nine nine zero two to one nine two, or check them out at online sf jet ski rentals dot com and make sure to use promo code fish on first to receive a ten pc discount on your next booking. Again that's three or five nine nine zero two to one nine to two or online at sf jet ski Rentals dot com. All right, let's go down to the farm. First half prospect of the year, Isaac, I'll let you go first.
Speaker 4: It's between two guys right. Unfortunately that we've been dealing with some injuries down on the farm for some of their higher key guys. But I'm gonna have to go with Kim Kanarella. I'm I'm a sucker for a good centerfielder, a good position player prospect that they just haven't been able to develop in recent years. And it looks like maybe they've got a couple in last year's draft, and I'm gonna have to go with Cam All. All the data suggests that he's really hitting the ball pretty hard. He's a solid hitter, hit first bat, first guy. He's gonna play excellent center field. Maybe not the arm that you'd want in that position, but it looks like a real ballplayer. He's being promoted, aggressively, staying healthy, and he's some of them you could see in the major leagues next year.
Speaker 2: A Joe, we know you're not the big prospect. You're not like us here when it comes to the prospects. But who who from from a year in knowledge, who wh would you say you have told you had spoken to us about mill Brandt? Cam Canerella? You know, yeah, is your your first half prospect?
Speaker 3: Well that's the little Camarella was the guy that I was gonna I was gonna pick just because all of the all the news that I've seen on him recently, he's you know, hitting some bombs down on the farm. Uh you know, uh yeah. I've never been really the biggest prospect type person because I feel like you got to show me something, and you got to show me something in the big leagues. But from what I understand that, you know, the Marlins do have some some great prospects that are they're developing down there, and honestly, if they're developing the way that they developed some of the major league talent up here, there's some good things that are coming. They seem to have the system down to maximize uh, each guy's a bill and so it's been fun to watch that on the big league level, and I imagine a lot of that is going on the minor league level. And if you're consistent enough with that, once the guys get up to the big leagues, they may not feel the same type of pressure that maybe some other guys feel because the proof is in the putting, the proof is in the work, and you just continue doing that work in the big league level and allow your talent to shine. So but yeah, that's that's my spill on that, and Camilla is the guy that has been most on my radar recently.
Speaker 2: There you go. I'm gonna go with mill Brandt. I think it's only right. I still don't know exactly what his outlook looks like in terms of the big league level, if he could be a mid rotation guy where that still stands because he has struggled a little bit in terms of the walks since coming up the Triple A. But what he did in Double A was nothing short of awesome. Like he had twenty seven straight scoreless innings, which is tough to do the most in Pensacola history for that, I guess affiliate. Yeah, he's been really good. He's going to the future game. So he's the only Marlins prospect to go to the Futures Game. I think Cannerella got snubbed. But yeah, he's been really good. There's another way to say it. I don't know if Isaac wants to touch on the possibility of a mill Brant call up laid into the year. I think it's unlikely, just from what I remember you guys spoke to Craig. He did say unlikely to happen. But if the Marins find themselves in a position where they really need some pitching and mil Brandt maybe begins to lower the walks and begin to see the guy that we saw more of a double A than the one we're seeing right now. Shoot, dude, you're gonna have to do it. Let's look at the trade deadline. Then this was our last one one realistic trade target for each but really quick Marlins. Right now forty six and forty one tied for the third and final wildcard spot. They're tied with the Cardinals, So yesterday it would have been a golden opportunity to seize the uh that third wild card spot so takes sole possession of it because the Cardinals lost the Braves. If the Marlins would have won, they would have jumped the Cardinals. They have another opportunity at that today, thankfully against the against the Rockies. We're recording this on Thursday, right before the series finale. Isaac, you were on Foul Territory. You spoke a little bit about it. How do you think the Marlins begin to attack this At what point do you think it becomes real like this team is gonna add I know that teams like to wait, but it really does feel like the National League is starting to finally take some shape in terms of where teams stand. American League is a totally different conversation. But the Marlins find themselves right there, like really close. And then you look below the Marlins, it's teams that are over game out or two games out, and we're starting to finally see some order in terms of what this could look like.
Speaker 4: As long as two things happen, As long as one the July does not completely flip on them, and they're even hot July trees of just half as well as June did. And then two. As long as there's not more than two or three teams in between them and that final card spot, you will be seeing them add. Will it be you know, crazy Terrek school type of No, But I do think they're gonna add they're gonna look at a couple of holes in that roster. I think they're gonna look at a third basement for sure. We mentioned earlier in the show when your options are Leboel Jimenez, who they still like a lot, pavirs Sonoha Graham, Pauli Codnor Norby. I think there's definitely room to improve there. So I think they are going to look outside the organization for third base, as well as some sort of arm I'm sure if it's a reliever only doesn't seem like they want to go that route. It sounds like to me they want to get another, you know, long relief type guy that can also spot start for them if need be, just because you know, you can never have enough pitching depth. And I mentioned there may be hesitants to call up certain guys. So I think those two areas of the team I could see them adding. I'm not gonna get into names because I truly don't know, but I think those two positions could be filled.
Speaker 9: Fish on First is brought to you by fan Duel Miami Marlins fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shots with daily dingers joining the action is so easy. Just make your free pick on who's being a home run in the next game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. Got to give some love to Owen Casey. This is a guy that I thought the Marlins might have to send down to the miners when he was struggling deep into April and early May, but very gradually he has turned things around become one of the marlins better hitters over the last thirty five forty games or so, and the power has always been there as long as he's putting the bat on the ball on a relatively consistent basis. There's going to be a lot of home run opportunity with Casey coming up as he really finds his footing during his rookie year with the Marlins. So are you ready to play your game. Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary, r WE opt in required, bonus issued does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler A Jed.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you actually have a name, but if you do, by all names.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Man, I'm the worst.
Speaker 4: It's July bro.
Speaker 3: It's more than the worst at speculative stuff like all season shows and stuff, you know, like who should people get. I don't know. I'm the worst at that stuff.
Speaker 4: Because I think it doesn't even know who he wants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I didn't know that. I do know that. It's it's like Isaac said that it's gonna be very calculated and it isn't going to be a huge style pick up. You know, it's gonna be something that under the radar style pick with someone with with a lot of upside, possibly that maybe you haven't seen the town talent reach that ceiling level, their their top ceiling level yet, So it could be someone that they see some numbers in where like, hey, we can maximize X, y Z and maybe we can be you can uh, he can be the best version of himself. So that's something that it's possible. I mean, I think that's more of a possibility than getting someone like Scoobal. Obviously that that's only a few teams are gonna be able to afford that type of haul and to give up something that big. The Marlins wouldn't want to disrupt their system, their farm system right now that is going in the right direction right now they're building. You don't want to take away from those pillars to then set yourself back. You want to continue to keep growing, and that's what they're gonna do. They're gonna build. Get someone that can that can help the process that they're in right now to keep growing, to make the lineup just a little bit better. You know, uh, maybe uh a power bat of some sort in there, guy that can slug a little bit more, you know, another I mean, you can always use another reliever even though the bullpen has been great, or another another arm, you know, another starter. I mean, you can never have too much pitching. So but I think what they should get is someone that can have a little more thump in the lineup to go with all the contact that they have as well. Although Casey and Stours, you know, those guys are starting to thump a little bit, Joe Mack as well. I mean that they're starting to thump. So it's definitely not going to be a earth shaking move, but it's definitely going to be something that can make this help this team get better if they stay this.
Speaker 4: Course, right. And the argument I made to someone in the Earth, I was like, you know, but also I understand wanting to be disciplined, but you don't know when you're gonna be in this position again. You know, like this is your six teams over five hundred or five games. Now, who knows when you're going to be put yourself in a gran position. But yeah, but you don't want to go for it all this year and then completely be asked for the next three years. So I get it. You know, it's as good as Falsel as long as possible, YadA YadA ya. But it's tough. We're sort of seeing both extremes. AJ saw it with Lori and Samson it was all in every year, no matter what, and now with Peter it's more of a disciplined approach of wanting to be as good as puzzle for as long as possible, which, hey, it may not be the sexest move, but it can't argue with the results.
Speaker 2: We saw it last year. They only made two trades, traded Sanchez and traded four times, and they kept it pretty close up until the very end. Obviously, I think this team's a lot better than the one from last year. There's a lot more length of the starting pitching is a lot better better, so they could arguably do the same thing where they maybe instead of tell they could add one guy or two now. The one guy I would love is they do need to start. I think Lewis our guy. Lewis had written about Robbie Ray. I think he's like on a weird deal. Michael Walker is a guy would like to see. He's on a one He's one more year left on the deal and then a club option. He's with the Royals. Those are teams that are clearly selling one only reason I mentioned them, so I think they need pitching. I think they really do. Because even then, like Junk, we'll see when he comes back. But I don't know. I wasn't very convinced with what I saw beforehand, and I think he could actually be a great option, like a long reliever out of the bullpen, kind of the Tyler Phillips role that he had before Phillips went to be become a starter with he was like a multi enning guy. He could piggyback maybe Gusto for the time being. Who knows, but yeah, Marlins wrap up with the Rockies on Thursday. Then they start a three game set against the A's for Fourth of July weekend and it'll all end. That'll do it for the road trip, and then right before the All Star break you have the home state against the Mariners and the Guardians. So it's a very tough stretch coming up here for the Marlins. We'll wrap it up here from AJ myself and Isaac. We will see you guys all in the next one next week. Peace out and as always, go Fish