Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from Biggie Smalls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by a casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. You can start late, look different, be uncertain, and still succeed. Misty Copeland, your uniqueness is your greatness. I stress this with actors all the time. I remember once where this manager had called me up that he wanted me to meet his new artists and he said, Tracy, he's just like jay Z. Excuse me, I said, we have a jay Z, though we don't want another jay Z. What is his uniqueness? And so many times we get consumed by the media of what we should look like, what we should be like, how we should act. However, in taking that information in, we should make choices to be comfortable in our own skin and in our own uniqueness of who we truly are. Don't be afraid of your greatness. Embrace it, knowing that you are worthy of abundance. You are worthy of happiness, joy, love, all of this. You are worthy of this. Change your life today. Just do it today. I will take baby steps to create a magical life for myself. Before we get started, I'd like to remind everyone to look out for my new show, Inside the Black Box. I'll be co hosting with the great Joe Morton. We'll be on Crackle Network real soon. I'll keep you posted. Welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I have to inhale, and then I have to exhale from my next guest. Tell you something. This business that I love and that I eat, drink, sleep, breathe, live in every single day of my life. You come across people that you never ever want to let them go. I am proud to say that I have been friends with our guest sister friends, La Joyce Brookshire. I have been friends, sister friends, spiritual friends with this woman for over thirty years, and I'll never forget when I sat in her office. She is beyond phenomenal, infectious with her energy and her love and her life. And I'm gonna tell you something. I don't care what anybody say about Chicago people, Philly people, but Chicago they have a confidence I've never experienced in my life. And when I went to Chicago, I was like, oh my god, I love Chicago. The people here, they're just amazing. Before I bring her on, I want to read to you about the Joyce. I need you, guys to sit down, and I need you to take this in. I only want to bring the best of the best of the best of the podcast, and you are going to have that pleasure today. The Joyce Brookshire was a high powered entertainment radio producer, program creator and director of Publicity's Publicity and Arista Records in the nineties, handling artists such as the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, Sean Puppy Combs, Tony Braxton, Kelly g Kenny g Outcasts, Monica, Deborah Cox, Craig mac Total, Fave Evans, Won Twelve, Usher, TLC. Whitney Hugh, and the Notorious Big to name a few. Today, she is a natural pathic doctor. Did I say that I did? I did? Okay, all right, She's a I love calling, a doctor, college professor, and a New York Times bestselling author residing in Pennsylvania with her husband and her daughter. Ladies and gentlemen, you need to stand up and put your hands together. But doctor La Joyce Books, Hey, Tracy, welcome. You want to make me cry right before we speak, because you know what. I'm glad you need to, because as I was reading those names, I was like, this is the thing. But Joyce is that sometimes and especially we were young, yes, in our career, you guys, this is young. Okay. You don't take in what you bring to the table as well. It's more I'm working with you know this person. I'm working with that person. But to reading these names right now, I said, oh no, they worked with the Joyce. They worked with the Joys. Yeah we did.
Speaker 2: You came to my office, you said, sitting in my office.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was sitting in your office. When I want to say, you either just got the deal or where you were in negotiation with Soul Food. That's how far we go back. I started with you on soul Food.
Speaker 2: You started with me before that. You started with me with a book called Web of Deception.
Speaker 1: Oh Web, I'm sorry, yes, well, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was such a great book. You got all you the Joyce. You might have to blow sprinkle us on that and bring that to life right now because content movies.
Speaker 2: From your Lips to God's Ears still to be a movie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When when we come back outside, I'm a sidebar you after the show. But I have something for you. I have something that you were going to I have a gift, my gift to you today, but I need your gift to these people because they have no idea the fullness of your character and who you are. So I want to start off, ladies and gentlemen, this is the book that we're talking about today. We're talking about women behind the mic curators of pop culture and this is volume one. Word to the wise. This here, this is the Joyce Brookshire's baby, one of them. She has so many, but she I remember when she was birthing this as well. So I want to start with the music tell us because I did a book signing in Harlem with the Joyce and I can listener all day. She has the best stories, you guys.
Speaker 2: So do you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Tracy was great in that at that book signing, and I can't wait for us to go back on the road and things together. We're going to do DC together. I'm looking forward to it. But I I am just floored Tracy that audiences want to hear all about how we were just grinding. And as the fiftieth anniversary of hip hop is being celebrated, it is important that the stories of the women are being told because one thing that we noticed was that the women were glaringly absent, and so instead of really getting angry, even though there was a little bit of anger, Michelle, Joyce and I got to work and the straw that broke the camel's back was when Michelle called me and said, did you see can't stop? Won't stop?
Speaker 1: Us? Say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said it. Did Puffy call you?
Speaker 1: Said no?
Speaker 2: You call you? No? And he didn't call Kelly and Leota and Gwynn and he did not call any of us. And I said wow. I said, I'm tired. She said me too. And we got the work. We got to work. We told our sisters, blow the dust off those memories. We are about to write a book. And the first thing that we did together was in twenty seventeen at the Newark International Film Festival where one of our sisters was one of the coordinators of the event and they needed one more big event and she said, I've got one women behind the mic and the owner said, who wants to hear women talk about theirs what they used to do in the business?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: When they took our SVPs, they couldn't find a room large enough for us and it was standing room only, wasn't it. Tracy? She was there and it was the second highest attended event at that film festival. And we looked around and said, okay, we got something here. And we've been at the African American Women Film Festival and We've done a speaking engagement about getting your Dream job at Rutgers University, and we've spoken at BMCC University in New York City and it's just been incredible. So everyone has been really perched and waiting for this book and it's taken a long time to get it together and get it out. So in March we did our launch event at the Apollo Theater and it was extraordinary. The Apollo never even expected that it was going to be an album release party up in there, up and there, but we know how to problem and it was a sold out audience. We had twelve hundreds juniors and seniors from the Department of Education to teach them about career paths and the entertainment industry. Because imagine Tracy when we were in high school, if we would have known anything like this.
Speaker 1: My Lord, I told you at your book site when we were at the book sign and I honestly believe in nineteen sixty nine, when I was laying on my bed listening to Gladys Night and the Pits, I created music videos in my head.
Speaker 2: Okay, I believe it, and I dreamt up the whole whole situation of me working in radio I used to stare at the radio like this, and I asked, my mind, are they in there? She said, well, the only time they're really in there, honey, is if they're down at the studio. So I heard them speaking on the radio. I said that we should go down there. She said, you just can't show up at a radio station. I said, why not. You know, it's my little third three nine year old third grade self sitting in the backseat saying, they're down They're in there, they're down at the station. Let's go to the station, just so created that's right. And my my friends used to call me radio because I never shut up. I always had a need to tell somebody something. So they were like, oh, you have.
Speaker 1: A great voice with Joyce.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Really have like I thought you were a singer when I first met you, because the thing that I really loved. There's just so many things. But in being in PR, and I don't know what my time was like or my life was like, but I would sit in your audience while I mean in your office, while you were on the phone, and I remember your Deak was here, and then there was another death on to my left. And it was always like a nice mood in your office. It was light, was never on high. It was always vibe. It was it was a vibe that was a vibe. But I remember listening and learning so much and loved the way your articulation, Like that's what made me feel like you were a singer, because your articulation was just Christen on point. That's I remember so many things. But yeah, you have a great voice.
Speaker 2: That is so funny. That's the speech teacher. I mean, you know it's so. I was each major. Oh yes, yes, I wanted to do radio and television broadcasting. And the first job that I was hired to do was to be at station WOJO in San Juan. And I wanted to do Spanish news because I met had a double major speech in Spanish. Yeah, and it was three weeks before graduation. I was like, I don't know about your culture, but my black mom and daddy kill me if I don't show up in this graduation.
Speaker 1: I can't come.
Speaker 2: Now, give me three weeks I can come. They were like, oh. I was like, there's not for me. So then it just changed the whole entire trajectory of my life. Not taking that job. But that's where I would have been, but I ended up on w JPC, the Amazing Am ninety five doing news to New York.
Speaker 1: So when you were because the time, I mean those the nineties, oh my lord, Like I remember, you know, meeting Biggie for New Jersey Drive or whoever you know you would recommend to me. But what was it like coming up because I was doing music video coming out of music videos at that time. But the artists that I've named, they were all huge superstars on their way to where they are today.
Speaker 2: Listen, And I just want to say thank you for entrusting me with if I called you and said, Tracy, I've got a star, that you believed me. Yeah, it's my hope that you know, I never tell you wrong about anything professional and I today, I'll never tell you wrong, anything wrong about food and yeah, and I'll never tell you anything wrong. And I just want to thank you for trusting me with that because that helped to elevate me. And I hope it's my hope that bringing you stellar talent also elevated you. Apparently it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the timing was impeccable because at that time they were tapping into artists with like commercials. You know, they were getting monies that they had never been introduced before. So then here comes the film and TV component, and let's just start is to transition as an actor. We'll get that acting money, We'll get that soundtrack. You were in a really oh my God, and it was a sweet spot. It really was. And during that time, because you talk about women in the music industry, I know what it's like for women in TV and film. But do you think that now, moving into twenty twenty three, that there is progress, you know, changes in terms of how women are.
Speaker 2: I think in some ways it's definitely progressed. Michelle says no. I say yes. I say yes because we don't have to barter and bag as much as we used to. And so especially with hip hop artists because back then, you know, if I were calling about Biggie or Outcast or somebody and they would say, you know, a major mainstream outlet would say no, and I would literally package them. We'll say, well, you know, Whitney's coming out next month, Well say no, and then they go, you know, let me get back to you and Georgia have to right. So I think in many ways now because back when they were just rap artists and it finally evolved into hip hop is known today. But we put in that work because pop culture as it is known today, hip hop is now classified as pop culture. And wow, I'm here to tell you we did that. And I'm not saying that to be grandiose. No, I'm just saying we put in that work for it to be known as pop culture as it is today. Michelle Joyce, my wonderful, fantastic sister. We've been making good truble for thirty years. Okay, we with this book. But what you don't know about Michelle is that she was Bad boys first marketing director. She wrote every marketing plan for every single one of those bad Boy artists that has catapulted them to who they are today. She also wrote the first marketing plans that help Rock Aware acquire their first ten million dollars. So this is, yes, this is Michelle's story. She's a woman behind the mic someone you don't know. And we always say you may know our work, but you may not know our names. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a great, great, great educational tool as well, because you know what the I have challenges with the youth and the millennials, because you need to know the shoulders on which you stand because you did not grow up with the Internet and have Instagram to promote and market these artists. You know, like when when our audience to know, when you talk about we did the groundwork we're talking about. There's a terminology called snipes, right, yes, and so I remember when you had young people out there sniping and what it is you guys, is putting up posters of albums coming out, you know, and just to see like the machine that you were in charge of in terms of getting you know, like in film. In film, we're like go to see the the you know, our film the first weekend, those record sales, those billboards, you know. And then, like I said, the other thing that I thought was brilliant during that time was how women were able to get companies like Mac to do campaigns on eve you know what I mean. But like you, you guys were doing things that were totally outside the box.
Speaker 2: Because we had to think of things outside of the box because inside of the box it was it was an unsafe environment. Inside of the box, it was confining, and we were not getting the results that we knew they were capable of. So we had to step outside. We had to color outside of the lines in order for them to garner the success. This is why I have brag Wall behind me. And this is why I actually, you know, I don't have anywhere to put all these golden platinum records that I have in my home. I hate to say that some of them are in my shed, but I don't have anywhere to put them. You know, I can't have a home she has.
Speaker 1: At Ladies and Gelemen, if you listen to the artists that I just want the list to name a few.
Speaker 2: But you but you can't attain that inside of this little box.
Speaker 1: That's right, okay.
Speaker 2: And then once you push the boundaries further and further and further and start stretching it, and then you start waking people up to possibility, and that's when they say, uh huh. I'll never forget. When Total said they wanted to be in a fashion week show, I had taken them to Fashion Week and they said, well, we want to be in a show, and I said, okay, do you know how to walk yet? And then they come and do their diddybop down the thing. I said, first of all, if I make this phone call, you're not going to embarrass me. Come on, and we use aris the hallway as a runway. And my old, my old modeling day self popped out right and I was like, okay, if we gonna do runway, this is how we're doing. The girls and I was like, let's walk, let's walk. And they were thinking, oh, they thought, oh my god. First they didn't know I knew how to do such a thing. But it's like, you know, it's a reinvention of another life. You bring everything that you are into the job. And what these children needed the artist, Yes they're all kids, but what they needed was mother ring, nurturing. That's what they needed. You had to make sure that ate this freaking vegetables. So its like we're going to be going o'clock tonight, eat good. You can't have another burger, okay. So even back then, when I wasn't the good doctor, I knew that if they if I let them just eat a steady diet of junk, that they won't have the energy to sustain to tonight when they need to get on that stage. So I would make sure that we got to restaurants that didn't even serve the junk, so they didn't even have it as a choice. So, I mean, just all of that kind of planning, and that was one of the things that angered me so much, and I was angry, I have to admit it about the New Edition biopic where they left out Renee Foster and Defense. Juanita Stephens was vice president of Black Music of Publicity excuse me, vice president of publicity at NCAA Records, and Renee was her ever ready as assistant, and they were left out of the New Edition biopic. When those women made sure those boys ate well, slept in good hotels, got their schoolwork done, turned in their schoolwork for them, and maybe sure they even had kindom skag on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'm gonna say, I'm not going to shout her out, but I know a mom who would would do that with the group of guys and give their care of actors and put that in. Yeah you it's important, Yeah, yeah, I mean, but that's the that's also like the nurturing side of us as women, like we're going to make sure that you're taking care of it, taking care especially you your spiritual morale. This is a good shift because I don't want to lose this, because I do want to come back for some last words of the book. However, in terms of actors today, now you know we're there on strike right now, so they have this time. I want to talk about foods. I want to talk about stamina, because I always stress this about It's not just saying some words. It's not just throwing some dialogue, like you know, games are throwne you're shooting in cold Ireland, you know. So how can actors sustain their mind, their body and their spirit through foods and what you teachom?
Speaker 2: Wow, heavy loaded question, but so unnecessary. What I will say is if they do not tap into better food, the lifestyle currently will not sustain them. That you will crash and burn. That's the first thing I want to say, because oh yes, you are what you eat. Oh yes, you are what you eat. And for you to think contrary to that is foolish because if you put junk in, you will get junk out. I just suggest that you read labels. Would you ever put bad gasoline in your car? I went to a gas station the other day and I'll had a half tank, but I like to come home with a full tank. And I filled up my car at an Exxon station and before I could get out of the driveway good. I knew that that batch of gas was bad, and so I'm never right now, I'm letting that batch of gas run out of my tank before I refeel it because it's spluttering and speaking and squeaking and spitting. And I'll never go back to that particular gas station. But would you know what happens when you put bad gas in your car and when you yourself are experiencing gas bloating, constipation, face breakouts, headaches every day at the same time. Those are signals that something is awry and if you don't address it, it'll eventually catch up with you. And then this is the other thing that really sticks in my gold. I cannot stand that spirit of I could eat whatever I want to and not get sick. Oh that's a lie. Oh I'll take my chances. What about the people who have to care for you. See, just the other day, I was in the post office and I had on my mask because I take every precaution. Okay, we mask. COVID didn't go away with it's syndemic. Okay, we are living alongside of it. And the woman said, oh, I see you have on your mask. I said, yes, if you knew what I knew, you'd have on a hansmat suit. But and she said, not take my chances, And I thought, foolish you're standing here dealing.
Speaker 1: With especially when you have a choice. Right, we'll see what happened.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. Well, you know, numbers are up. News reports every everywhere, in every corner of this nation. Local news reports are reporting that numbers are up because hospitalizations are up because people are no longer testing. But bottom line is, if we already saw how COVID came in here and tore up America and shook us around, we were a rat doll. It exposed a sick America. Yep, that's what it exposed. And we need to get with it. So all of the eric the actors, for all of the spirited actors, take care of your temple first.
Speaker 1: Now you know this. It takes a lot of discipline. It takes a lot of consistency. I know this as well. To be in good health, to shop healthy like I used to, you know, just go through the grocery store. Now it takes me at least two hours because I read everything, and I really enjoy reading everything. Right, So what are some small steps, because you know, if we throw everything then you know three days in this is hard, right, So what are some you know, steps that people can take to alter things already you know, yes, in their lives.
Speaker 2: You said it though when you go to the grocery store. And one of the reasons why a lot of people shun a healthier lifestyle is because they say they can't afford it. I want to give you four little baby steps that give you pers the perfect health that cost you nothing. Oh my god, ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number one is drink a glass of water every hour that you're awake. Every hour that you're awake, drink a glass of water. Lots of reasons why we won't go through them now. Number two, go to bed at ten o'clock because you are defying nature when you do not. What in the world are you doing up all night anyway? Question mark? Question mark question mark I got your Tracy, all right. The next thing is pee and poop when nature calls you to pee and poop, get up from that computer, don't take another meeting, don't take another phone call when nature calls, answer it. And the last thing is exercise. And I don't mean with a gym membership. Run up and down the stairs, run around the house, walk up and down your hallway in your building, or up and down the stairways in the building. Yeah. Wow, exercise and that cost you nothing. And if you do that but one side week, it will change your health trajectory.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to do a challenge because yeah, I mean I definitely number three of the peen and the pooping. It's like, I'm only saying this because, like, you know, when you are in a high paid, paced job, like you know you and and like you forget I know I've cast before with Elsa and forgotten to eat or she's like, you know, we should should we insert thirty minutes to eat? Like I've done that as a casting directory in my life. So that's the same with going to the restroom.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, let me tell you what I used to do at Ariston. I used to take two hundred and fifty calls a day. Oh my god, Okay, that's how many used to come from the switchboard. I have that number because the switchboard of the receptionist said, you, hands down get more phone calls than most people in the company. And he started tallying, and he used to get a print out, and he said, you get you get two hundred and fifty phone calls a day. I'm like, that's nuts. What about the people who down my line directly? He said, I don't know about those, okay, but that's how many were coming through the switchboard. I used to have a headset, you know, I had a headset. Yeah, I would unplug the headset, tell my assistant, I'm going in the bathroom, and I would just say, keep them on hold, rack them and stack them so I could just take them. Just put people on hold. I'll be right back, and I would just run to the bathroom headset, I'll come back and plug back up. Yeah, yeah, you were very It was nuts.
Speaker 1: And if you think about the you know, the roster that you had, I mean, like, and you're also dealing with different temographics. You got Usher and the great legendary Aretha Freglin. That's just two during an item exactly. And then you got then you and the club in the club with Biggie y'all. Fine, what a whole bunch of rappers, but.
Speaker 2: A whole bunch of rappers.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna tell you this one thing that I do though. Oh okay, I'll say this really quick. One thing I do know is that mad mad mad respect that the Joyce always garnered from these artists. I saw it in their eyes. I saw it when when she with her posture around them, she is considered queen empress in their dialogue. No, I know people that, Oh my god, when I told him I wrote the book, like you know these people. Yeah, So I'm just saying that, you know, to be able to maintain the level of respect that she has garnered over the years of the music business, I'm just saying you, guys, like I know, she has stories. She's not going to tell you now, but she has stories. Women are not respected like that. I'm just saying I need to stress that for y'all to know. But we have five minutes. Please tell us what do you want to say to know what's our takeaway from the book? Because I'm waiting for volume two.
Speaker 2: Ah wait for you actually over, You're actually late with your story, so a volume two missing that I want the takeaway to be that to understand that this book is for anyone who ever thought that they had a dream, and it is for dreamers everywhere, for anyone who ever thought that dreaming was worthwhile. In this book are twenty two stories that proves dreaming is a good thing. Being a dreamer is a good thing. The little girl in me in the backseat looking at the radio wondering can we get down to the station because they are in there. I love it.
Speaker 1: I told you guys you were gonna love with Joyce. We got to have you come back on because a lot of things perculating and I want to be able to promote something else when you give me the go ahead, I'm going to be able to do that. But we're gonna hang tight. Else it's going to come back on. Else's going to introduce you to the spirit actor alumni. Who is going to ask you a question? All right?
Speaker 3: Yes, So today we have miss Shamika Nelson. Shamika, you can come on?
Speaker 1: Do we go? And you can? Hey? How's it going? Hey? Sri Rika? Hi? Hi, y'all can't see me? Can you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Hey? S Rikan Red? Is the color? Go ahead? Yes it is. So. I have a couple of questions.
Speaker 4: One I like to ask everybody who is a fan of hip hop? What was this song that made you fall in love with hip hop?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Me mm hmm? It would be jam on it. M Yeah, I was at Studio fifty four in New York. Not I heard hip hip hepty hopping Rapper's Delight. I had heard that, Yes, love that, but fall in love with hip hop was at Studio fifty four and jam on it for me?
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: Now my second question, your book has a welcome notch, So I want to know can we expect a series because it's too much to put into a film.
Speaker 2: A series. This is volume one. That's why it's entitled Volume one. Word to the Wise, okay, words of wisdom from those who are wise to those who'd like to be wise. And Volume two will be the hip hop edition. Oh and what about a TV series coming up? From your Lips to God's Ears? Yes, indeed, a docu series was what it will be. That's a that's aw Yeah, you're right here, Shamika, Yes, you're in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and bookmarked that. Bookmarked that because I got something for you. Thank you for the question, Sami, because that was a great question. The first one. I went back to what was it brown Sugar? I went to Love Jones. Yes, that's what resonated when you said, how did you what made you fallward? All tell you everything. I'm gonna tell you California Grandmother's flash.
Speaker 2: Yesa the message, the message.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one for me as well. Great question. Well, when we come back with the Spirited After podcast, we are going to do class and Session and Shamika Nelson is going to do a monologue for the Joyce Berkshire. So stick around, yes, and the Joyce you are going to give her because the Joyce is a film producer, film writer and film director. All right, so we'll be back on the Spirited Action Podcast with me Tracy Moore for Class in Session. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. And we're so blessed we still have doctor Leachoyce Berkshire with us, and now we're going to move into instead of a scene, today, Elsa is going to introduce our Spirit Actor alumni and she's going to perform a monologue for us.
Speaker 3: Yes, So today on the Spirited Actor we have the lovely miss Jamika Nelson. Welcome back, Shamika, thank you, thank you. What are you going to do for us today? So today I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Do a monologue from a book play actually call Paradise Bloom from Dominique marusso.
Speaker 3: Nice, so on action.
Speaker 4: You can't make no home your way, not how many times he put his hands on you. Hm, I mean, is it every day or only when he has props?
Speaker 1: Talk? But it ain't none of my consien child.
Speaker 4: Please don't matter whether it's none of my concern or not, because I know what I see and I'll tell you one thing, girl, If you think he's gonna make a life with that man, you're in a whole heap of trouble because a man with demons, he ain't gonna see you nothing but as a gateway to hell.
Speaker 1: And when them demons coming to call in, he gotta fight.
Speaker 3: Any and everything they tell me.
Speaker 1: And if it's shooting, he's gonna fight you too, sah. I tell you, child, wain't on that man to change. It's like waiting on the seventh.
Speaker 4: Album and when it comes, it's gonna bring a whole lot of destruction in it.
Speaker 1: I won't wait for that.
Speaker 2: If other shoot. See that was so.
Speaker 1: Good, okay, La Joyce, give her whatever feedback or anything you want to give her.
Speaker 2: Here's my feedback. You were so daggon believable. Thank you so believable that that you know, you're talking to your girlfriend or maybe a young adult daughter, but you were so incredibly uh emotional, believable. You didn't you didn't spill tears. You didn't need to. But I can imagine the other person crying after all of that. And it was just so matter of fact and that that you knew for sure that's the way you delivered it, and you you delivered it as if it was like your own story. That's why I made it believable. I think that that was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like the fact that you know, Shamika is like a living angel her spirit, like she's really I met her during Inside the black Box. She's so committed. She drives from Ohio, yes for the show for an a like committing with Joyce. And I I like the monologue because I know Shamika and and I felt like, oh, this is a real mean, nasty, condiving energy. I love it. I love the right So that's why I like. But Sharika, thank you so much. You did a great job. Really Yeah, I love that monologue too.
Speaker 2: Really yes, it's beautiful. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Good actor alumni, thank you Elsa. All right, now, thank you again, Shamika. So this is where you know, get a little emotional because you know we're only going to say see you later, but I'm gonna see you again, the Joyce, you have been a phenomenal guest. I'm telling you, if nothing else people are I said to myself when you were talking, just listening to you, I'm gonna do those four things. I'm gonna repeat it, those four things because you know, maybe there's sometimes when I'm not consistent with those, but I just think starting out with those four things, I didn't know anything about drinking water every hour, Like just those four things are so empowering. So thank you for that audience. Please, like, instead of conquering the whole mountain, take it step by step and stuff four steps, you know, and like the the Joyce said, it doesn't cost you a dime. So myself, because we invested in you, thank you so much today, the Joice, Honey, I appreciate Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm a reflection of you because I used to sit in that office saying one day I would grow up and be just like the Joyce and have me, my old office and my old desk. As you know, back then I was I was hopping from freelance to freelance to free lance, but you were doing it. Yeah, I no other choice. But I love it. I still love it.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I loved it. And thank you so much for your support through the years and even now. Thank you, my sister, Thank you, my sister.
Speaker 1: Love you, doctor Joyce Brookshire. Everybody stand up together productive Joyce Brookshire, thank you so much. And when we come back on the Spirit of Acting podcast with b Tracy Moore, I'm going to give you some boom boom, boom boom. I'm going to give you some love. And now it's time to give love. In two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, I had caught wind that Nickelodeon was looking for write your directors for their Black History Month interstitials, which are in the cable world or like they're like commercials or chromos right, So we were assigned people who were, you know, entering this process. We had to come up with five different ideas that would be exciting for three to five year old kids. So I remember approaching some of my friends who are established as writers and directors, and you know, wanted to get some advice some words, and one specific director of very known directors said to me, well, Tracy, just remember you've never directed a commercial before. You don't have any credits of having any interstitials or working with a Nickelodeon before, So don't get your hopes up too high and baby steps. Well, there were three hundred people who applied for this position. Two women were chosen, myself and another woman. And I remember saying to myself that everyone has to start somewhere, and everyone gets a chance, right. One of the things that I always stress is to turn off the noise. And the noise was Tracy, you don't have credits. Tracy, you've never done this before. But the truth was I did it anyway, got the job and one appearent choice award from Nickelodeon. Don't forget to look out for us on our new show, Inside the black Box. My co host will be Joe the Legend Morton. It's going to be the Spirited Actor Podcast on Steroids. We'll be streaming on the Crackle network. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for joining us on the spirit an Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I look forward to our next Spirited podcast. Thank you,