Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday Live from New Orleans, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Glad to have you on board.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to the program, or listening and watching on the program, thank you for joining us. We say good morning those watching on Peacock or if you're listening on our radio affiliates around the country over four hundred cities carrying this program. We'll talk to Chris Sims from Football Night in America. We will talk to Brian Windhorst. He will try to make sense of what happened. The sports shock. It's rare when we're shocked, we're surprised sometimes, but this was a true shock that nobody had any inkling that this was going to happen. Now, maybe somebody comes out to say that they found out that Luca was maybe being shocked. I was told later that two weeks ago, the Mavericks reached out to somebody and they inquired about a trade with Luka Dancik. Nothing went from there. Nobody talked about it after that, and then all of a sudden you get these text messages where there was no context to it. It was just OMG or WTF and you went wow, and then you realize Luca had been traded for Anthony Davis, and then we started to wonder about when you were truly shocked in sports. We talked about Andrew luck when he announced his retirement during the preseason. Michael Jordan. Marvin brought this up late last hour. Michael Jordan's saying that he was going to go play baseball. That might be the ultimate shocker when you think about it. That's a number one seed there because you had a guy at the peak of his career, won three titles. There's no social media, and all of a sudden, you go, what Now we still say, why did he play baseball?
Speaker 1: We're still saying that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If twenty years from now we'll go and why did Dallas trade Luka Doncik when he was twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yes? What about Wayne Gretzky going to the Kings?
Speaker 4: I speak, Yeah, I think they call that the trade, you know, which is like just says how massive.
Speaker 1: It is, you know, and it changed the sport of hockey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because gretz comes to the United States, plays for the Kings, not exactly a hockey environment, and then all of a sudden. It's almost like the Caitlin Clark effect before Caitlin Clark, because then you had all of these cities, cities in the South that wanted to have a hockey team. Now you see, you know, the expansion with the WNBA with Caitlin Clark. But I would say those are shocks. I you know, I remember a couple of trades with Leuel Sindor when Wilt was traded, but I don't remember anything where I went.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Leuel Sindor was just won two MVPs and you know, he went to school at UCLA, won a title in Milwaukee, and then decided that he wanted to go back to Los Angeles. And that was a surprise because they they did it did okay with the players they got. You know, Brian went to was one of the great outside shooters, but he came along before the three point shot. Junior Bridgeman played in the NBA a long time. Dave Myers played at UCLA and was a serviceable forward in the NBA. This is where you go, Okay. Anthony Davis is thirty two and how much longer is he going to play?
Speaker 1: Can he play?
Speaker 2: And when he does play, I think we can all agree that he can be an elite player. Lucas one of the top five to seven players in the game. That's the surprising part. And he's twenty five. If you said both are twenty five, okay, if Luca got traded for Anthony Edwards, then I think we would go.
Speaker 1: All right, that's interesting. This is interesting in a way that you.
Speaker 2: Go, I don't know, that's interesting because you got a thirty two year old, you have a twenty five year old, and look, you can throw another bodies in there. The Sacramento Kings did better trading Dearon Fox to San Antonio. Then the Dallas Mavericks did trade eating Luka doncik. That to me doesn't make any sense. And I love what san Antonio did. I'd been saying the last two weeks, get de Aaron Fox, get a point guard. Now, all of a sudden, that's the stock that I'm investing in the Spurs. You know these draft picks all they gave up all those draft picks. I don't care. Win now, that's what this is about. It's win now, and the Lakers are looking at winning now, but they're also looking at the future. See if you said that Anthony Davis was the missing piece in Dallas. You're trying to win now and you gave up somebody or he gave up draft picks. Okay, Lakers, they can win now, or maybe they have a better chance of winning now and they can win in the future with Luca.
Speaker 1: You don't have that with Dallas Anthony Davis.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought, if you're trying to tank, like if I'm New Orleans, I get rid of Zion Williamson and you know, try to get better positioned to get Cooper flag, Like, let's move on from Zion he you know, he's going to get a lot of money, and you one him there not in shape. All it doesn't play. I understand if you're going to trade to tank, but this is not a trade to tank.
Speaker 1: Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: The irony of you saying that is they're already really bad with Zion Williamson, you know, so maybe they don't even need to trade him.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: That's me Age seven to seven three DP show email address Gdpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show.
Speaker 1: We'll get to your phone calls.
Speaker 2: Best and worst of the weekend update the pull results seating from the first hour.
Speaker 4: Let's see we got up there, which team got most better this weekend? A lot of people not recognize are realizing that's just a joke. Your options where Spurs, mAbs and Lakers. Lakers have about fifty three percent of that vote, followed by the Spurs and then staff dinners are generally a fun time, okay, depending on seating or mandatory. You have a dead even tie between generally a fun time and mandatory for second, but it's okay depending on seating.
Speaker 2: Running away with that, yeah, when we sat down, now, there were twelve of us that went to dinner and staff dinner morale boost, let's go pep talk all that stuff. And I was late getting to the table, and I realized there was one seat left and it was right across from Fritzi.
Speaker 3: And the music stopped and you had to grab that chair, I know.
Speaker 2: And so I had the French kid, and then Paulie was next to Todd, and I went, oh, I didn't deserve I'm paying for this meal, like I really paid for that meal.
Speaker 3: As I was sitting down, Poil looked at me. I said, to settle down now. I didn't even say anything.
Speaker 1: Yet Todd, you were on fire you were.
Speaker 3: Was I mildly entertaining? It was just annoying.
Speaker 1: You heard you were mildly annoyingly entertaining.
Speaker 3: I'll take that.
Speaker 1: But you were just rapid fire, rapid.
Speaker 6: A lot of things just crossed my mind, and I feel like I've got to verbalize all of them.
Speaker 1: But it's not a conversation. We just listened to you.
Speaker 3: I wasn't like asking for a response. I just need some eyes on me any here as to listen to what I had to say. Are you selfish?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: But it was funny, it was entertaining.
Speaker 2: And then later we find out some of the backroom guys were nearly naked in the swimming pool, and uh, of course I had to witness that outside of my hotel room. It's one of those where you go, go those guys, man, they must be drunk. And then all of a sudden I see one of the guys and I go, that's Dylan. He works on my show. And then all of a sudden I saw my cameraman. Then all of a sudden, I'm doing inventory. I go, I'm gott to have to ask some questions. Stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America the official trading cards of the program, and don't miss out in the four part docuseries SNL fifty Beyond Saturday Night, honoring the legacy of the iconic late night sketch show, streaming now only on Peacock. Let's go around the room. Best and Worst of the weekend, Marvin, I'll start with you. Your best and worst of the weekend?
Speaker 3: All right, my best of the weekend.
Speaker 5: Caitlin Clark and Asia Wilson bulkeetting new jerseys retired at their university South Carolina in Iowa.
Speaker 3: I know this numerology is fritzy sting.
Speaker 5: Both of them wore the number twenty two, and yesterday was February second.
Speaker 1: Two to two.
Speaker 3: Yep, love it blue.
Speaker 5: Worst of the weekend the Dallas Mavericks, and not because of the tree. Yesterday they got mollywop by the Cavaliers by forty three points.
Speaker 2: They gave up ninety one points in the first half, didn't they? Olay Yeah, todd best from Worse of the weekend.
Speaker 3: Best of the weekend.
Speaker 6: After a mixed reception, including some booze for John Calipari and his return to Rupperena in Lexington, the Arkansas Razorbacks take down number twelve Kentucky eighty nine seventy nine good for Calipari and Arkansas worst. It was mentioned in our play of the day in Philadelphia. Last night, the Sixers blew a twenty six point lead late in the third, fell to the Celtics one eighteen to one to ten.
Speaker 3: Tatum thirty five points eleven as.
Speaker 2: Sist, was that the only game last night because the restaurant we're in had fifteen TVs and it was the only thing on TV that was a weird place. They had a drum kit up there, like there was a lot of things going on. There was no band, but it was just in case there was a lot going on.
Speaker 6: Took a while to get the gumbo. Yeah, it was still hot, but it's to take a while. But yeah, every single TV had the six or Celtics game on in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Uh Seaton. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend is dearon Fox going to the Spurs. I absolutely love that. That's great. That's gonna be a lot of fun. My worst of the weekend is Drake, Oh my god, artist so he last night is the Grammys and Kendrick Lamar and Drake have famously been in like this beef for a while and they've had a battle going back and forth, and Kendrick Lamar's half of that beef swept the Grammys and the place was going absolutely bonkers every time Kendrick Lamar won.
Speaker 1: And what he's winning for is a.
Speaker 4: Song about how much he hates Drake, and the whole place is going crazy.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely insane to me.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine being somebody and be like, what the hell is everybody cheering for?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: What does everybody really hate me this much? What the hell?
Speaker 2: They're all singing the song about Kendrick hating Drake.
Speaker 4: And now not only is Kendrick Lamar following up on He's just been writing this absolute title wave of success with this song. He sweeps the Grammys and ends the week by performing it at the super Bowl halftime show. This has gotta be the worst week in Drake in Drake's life.
Speaker 1: What the hell did I do? I mean, that's that's an ultimate scoreboard? Oh my god? Is it ever? At the super Bowl Ultimate Yes, Martman.
Speaker 5: Kendrick warned Drake. He literally said, don't take it there. Yeah, I'm gonna take it further and the fact that he did this and the Grammys were like, this is such a great song, this is gonna win Record of the Year, not like Best Rap Perform, no Record of the Year. Out of all the songs that came out this past year. I said, poor Drake. Taylor Swift was just going crazy. She was dancing outing, damn Drake.
Speaker 2: And everything's right in the world because Beyonce got Best Country Album an Album of the Year. Yeah, just want to make sure everything good now she finally got the album of the Year.
Speaker 1: Yes see.
Speaker 4: And then after the super Bowl, Kendrick is gonna go on tour, one of the stops being Toronto, which is Drake's hometown. That you know, he's gonna play that song a dozen times right in a row. He's gonna open it the openest concert five times with that song and then close it five times with that song right in his own backyard.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes, dude.
Speaker 2: If I'm Kendrick Lamar, every third song, I just start with a little bit of that and then I go into another song. Yeah, go into another song, yes Mark.
Speaker 3: And one last thing.
Speaker 5: Kendrick Lamar was wearing jean jacket in jeans it's also called a Canadian tuxedo.
Speaker 1: It is just NonStop.
Speaker 3: He's diabolical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, PAULI best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Worst of the week.
Speaker 8: I know it's obvious, but if you're a Mavericks fan, you gotta be very beside yourself right now. It does at least you have the Cowboys to fill man You got Arts manning next year, so look at that. I guess best of the weekend. I weirdly enjoyed the Pro Bowl flag football game. I had them out in the background and it was pretty good. I think the final score was seventy six to sixty three. I had the over. It was really entertaining ish and it's way better than the Pro Bowl has been in ten years. So while there's no hitting, it was a competitive and fun and well produced. So it's a good replacement. What's the pole question for hour two?
Speaker 1: Seaton? Let me see here, we had another one.
Speaker 4: We were gonna put up another one from the t dubs about if the Lakers are Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Who got benefited the most with this one?
Speaker 4: Uh, We're gonna put that up.
Speaker 2: Who goes further this year? Lakers are the MAVs. What was a Spurs.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pauli, they have to play in the playoffs.
Speaker 8: Remember a couple of years ago when the commissioner made it so Zion got in the playoffs. The first round of the playoffs should be Lakers versus Mavericks, no matter what the seating is.
Speaker 1: When did they play again that next month?
Speaker 3: February twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, the end of the month.
Speaker 4: So you have the Lakers in fifth, the Mavericks and ninth, and the Spurs and twelfth.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, I don't know this artist, Doce Doci. Holy smoke, she's a big deal. She won Rap Album of the Year. The stage performance was incredible. Absolutely, I was mesmerized by just everything that went into it.
Speaker 1: She's a deal.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, it's like, hey, that album is pretty phenomenal. It's definitely like stands out as something totally unique.
Speaker 2: You know. But they do have all these stages with the Grammys, so you'll have one artist and then all of a sudden, that curtain goes down, this curtain goes up, this artist comes out. You know, there's certain artists that I wouldn't want to follow if I'm up there.
Speaker 1: Because people are going bonkers.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody's and up and screaming, yelling, and then all of a sudden somebody else comes out, and then it seems like it's a little softer there.
Speaker 1: But I did like that it was rapid fire.
Speaker 2: I don't need anybody up there doing introductions silly jokes up there.
Speaker 1: It's like, let's go rapid fire.
Speaker 4: Hey, Ben Stiller, I haven't seen you since we were in that movie together.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, I've been.
Speaker 2: In those writing meetings when I when I was with you know, yes, and let's just get all when we're at the SP's and you have all of these comedy writers there and you know, you're, you're, you're just you're listening to these one liners and you just go, I hope the camera's not on me when they say this, because then because.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh fake laughter there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hey Cameron Diaz, I haven't seen you since Ben Stiller. They write it for him, they have to say it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it's rough, all right.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com. Twitter handle it to DP show. It's media night tonight. I don't know what that means. These are two teams that probably won't stay anything. Kansas City is well versed at not saying anything. Maybe Philadelphia, you get something.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Jalen Hurts has asked about his straight jacket comment about his head coach Chansburg.
Speaker 3: Oh boo. They both respect each other, they admire each other. No, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and quietly.
Speaker 2: Chip Kelly left Ohio State to be the Raiders offensive coordinator. I'm going to talk to Chris Simms about that. I thought this was about quality of life for Chip Kelly. Don't have to deal with nil or collectives. You just run an offense Ohio State. You got a lot of shiny toys there, you win a national title, and now you go to the Raiders. Seems like there's a little more job security at Ohio State than the Raiders.
Speaker 1: Chanspung.
Speaker 8: It does seem that's the move the past ten years. Remember Steve Sarkisan when he cooled off Lane Kiffin. Lane Kiffin, you go to Alabama, work under Nick, save for a year or two, show your skills, and you're back in the mix.
Speaker 3: Yes, John, And if your name is Chip though, don't you ultimately have to end up in Vadas? Okay some point?
Speaker 1: See what you did?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Thank you Ton. Okay, thank you Ton. Well, take a break. Chris Sims will join us. Coming up Brian windhorns top of next hour, trying to make sense of what happened with the Lakers and the Maps. We're back after this on The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com. We're stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 9: Hey, We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get.
Speaker 10: To, and that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see, we're having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber me.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what it's called over promise.
Speaker 9: You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 10: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also going to talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised.
Speaker 9: Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even a little harder. It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 10: There you go, over Promising. Remember you could see it on YouTube, but definitely join us. Listen to over Promised with Covino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: We'll get you your phone calls. More phone calls coming up, and we'll talk to Chris Sims Football Night in America. He will join us coming up as well.
Speaker 1: Do so. We have a new poll question for hour two. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Brian Winhor from the Mothership will join Hiss Top the next hour as we dive a little deeper into the trade. The biggest sports shock that we've had in quite some time. Marvin brought up a great point that Michael Jordan going to play baseball was a bigger shock than this. But as far as an actual trade, it's new Marouno, I think, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 8: I went back and looked at a couple with the NFL, and the NFL is rarely as big with trades. But the Herschel Walker trade to Minnesota Vikings was October twelfth, nineteen eighty nine. That was mid season and they got the monstrous Hall that turned out to be the Cowboys run a couple of years later.
Speaker 1: The other one was the Ricky Williams draft no trade.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the coverage was out of hand with Mike Dicka trading his entire draft to draft Ricky Williams out of Texas.
Speaker 2: It's like Ditka didn't want to work, you know here in New Orleans. He's like, you can take all my picks. I just want Ricky Williams. Then I can I leave?
Speaker 1: Now? Can I go get some neat and go get a drink?
Speaker 2: What was the other one that you said, Hershall Herschel changed the NFL. I mean that changed the Cowboys. That was pretty shocking as well. We talked about Andrew luck when he announced that he was retiring in his prime, and that what he didn't announce it. Shefty did and then all of a sudden, although Shefty did try to wiggle his way into this by saying, you know, the NFL comp would be Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow were like, no, no, it wouldn't be that. It would be Dak Prescott traded for Joe Burrow. That would probably be similar guy who's thirty two injury prone and a guy who is twenty five who's in his prime.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, And also the Dak Prescott portion of it, it's the biggest franchise in that sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Lakers, all right, look at you, you're doing extra work.
Speaker 1: Every day is a super Bowl? I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Usually for me it's the divisional round, Bud, today's.
Speaker 1: The super Bowl. It's kind of a wild card weekend sometimes with us.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 2: Our next guest from NBC Sports played quarterback at Texas, played in the NFL, and he loves to visit a dispensary. He never played football high that we know of. Here's Christum.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I don't never smoke on the job. I never smoke on the job, never. Never.
Speaker 11: I'm an end of the day kind of guy. So even you know, even post football, right, I mean never never.
Speaker 2: So when you've done football night in America, never done anything, never never.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. I can't do it that way. We're Pro Football talk with Mike Florio.
Speaker 3: Early in the morning, waking bake.
Speaker 1: No, that's not happening either, right seven am. But in college, you may have.
Speaker 11: Yeah, in college is kind of where it started, right, It's kind of where I started to be go down that route of smoking a little. I didn't think we were going to be starting our Super Bowl conversation with this conversation here, but but.
Speaker 1: Either way we might as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it started in college a little bit, just because, like you know, Sixth Street, Austin, Texas. I'd go out with my friends. I'd have drinks and I'd be like, man, I just can't do it. I don't like drinking, and I'd get hung over or throw up or whatever. And that's where I started to dabble in the you know, smoking a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, But the whole thing about dealing with pain with athletes, I mean, this is serious.
Speaker 1: This is definitely serious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but where are we going with that? Medicinal use of marijuana with athletes. I don't know if it helps with CTE. I don't know what the study. I don't know all that either.
Speaker 11: I do know that it's a better option than options that were out there before, right, I had teammates and friends who certainly got into opioid addictions because, yeah, especially in my day, back in you know, the twenty ten two thousand and eight, the drug testing was much more strict, so you weren't going to be able to do that, and so guys then would go to the pill route, and it caused problems. I mean lots of problems, whether it was you know, with their stomach and their digestive system, them getting addicted to it, whatever the mental aspect of it. But I think we're at a much better place now, and I think, you know, the we're accepting of it. I mean, look, we're sitting at Super Bowl fifty nine starting off a conversation with it.
Speaker 1: Are these the two best teams in the NFL? Yes, yeah, they're the two best.
Speaker 11: I mean the Ravens would have been right there with it, right, I mean the Ravens, the Ravens when the playoffs started.
Speaker 1: Or the team I picked up go to the Super Bowl. I thought, like.
Speaker 11: When this playoff started, I said, man, the Ravens are playing the best ball right now, like they look like they're peaking. But certainly the Chiefs are right there with them. The Eagles, though, I don't know if, like I can't emphasize this enough. I've been trying to say this for about the last month. The Eagles aren't all star team.
Speaker 1: It's one of the.
Speaker 11: Best teams we've seen post like the new free agency, you know, Salary cap era, well constructed teams that I've ever seen. It's one of the best old lines ever. I would put it up there with the nineties Cowboys. It's that good. It is that good. They run three plays and he runs for two thousand yards. They run three plays. They don't run a lot of pass plays either. There wait, give me the three players. They run inside zone, outside zone, and you'll see two pullers every now and then. It's the only three runs they run. And they go, we're so good at it, screw you or coming at you with it, and you can't stop it.
Speaker 1: That's how good they are. And offensively in their past game.
Speaker 11: You know, this is one of the things I worry about with the game is because they My thing with the matchup is kind of brains versus braun. It's the Chiefs who do everything, and it's the Eagles who were just like, we're here and you know what we're gonna do, and you still can't stop it, and they pose problems for you. The Eagles with that O line, that running game, Jalen Hurt's ability to run the ball, and then of course he's a good deep ball thrower.
Speaker 1: That's his best thing.
Speaker 11: So now you get one on one with Aj Brown and Devonte Smith, they cause problems for you, and that's where this game is.
Speaker 1: Gonna be really interesting.
Speaker 2: But it feels like there is a concerted effort to have Jalen Hurts throw less. Yeah, yeah, they're better when he throws less. I think it kind of just manifested that way a little bit. Between Yeah, they were running the ball, well, I don't think he was playing his best football. Then he got hurt, and then they kind of got like pigeonholed into Oh, he's not hitting on all cylinders right now and playing his best football, so let's.
Speaker 1: Lean on the run game a little bit more.
Speaker 11: But if he throws the ball like he did, in the NFC Championship, right, that's the Chiefs will have to play a special special game to beat them.
Speaker 1: I think yeah.
Speaker 2: But is it more important that the Eagles offense is great or the Eagles defense?
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 11: Ooh, that's a good question there.
Speaker 1: I would say more the Eagles defense though. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Still the Eagles defense. The Eagles defense, it's the best in football. They got everything right. Jalen Carter is arguably the best defensive player in the game. They got really good secondary players. They're simple too, though. Vic Fangio it's hey, he's the man. I am mad respect for Vic Fangio, but they're another team. They don't do a lot. They're kind of just like, hey, we're good, we know what we're gonna do. We know you can't expose us in our rules because we're so honed in on all of it. And they're gonna, I think, have to change a little bit. Because can you sit there and play m zone against Patrick Mahomes all game? No, no way.
Speaker 1: That's what happened in Buffalo the first two series.
Speaker 11: They played zone and he just went zoom zoom, zoom zoom, and then they went, oh crap, let's play man for the rest of the game. And then you saw all these man plays as the game went on. And that's going to be one of the chess matches of this thing, is can Philly play the defense they want to play against this guy playing quarterback?
Speaker 2: But also does Jalen Hurts try to do too much? You know, when you're opposite Patrick Mahomes, right, you're opposite a great player. Sure you kind of want to match them. Exactly what Josh Allen is, you know, falling prey to this Sure, Lamar Jackson, Right, it's all that. You know, people go, oh, they choked. They go no, Lamar didn't choke.
Speaker 1: Lamar wants it so bad. He's trying to do everything to get there.
Speaker 11: Right, He's got a guy holding on his leg and he's doing a three point stance trying to like three sixty out of it to still make a throw, and then he fumbles the football.
Speaker 1: He's not choking, he's just maybe doing too much. Same with Josh.
Speaker 11: Allen, certainly, Yeah, you don't want to fall in that trap if you're Jalen Hurts. He was pretty good in the first Super Bowl, right, I mean, the fumball was a huge part of the game. Certainly, But if he plays like that again, then they're gonna be really tough to beat.
Speaker 2: Let's say the Chiefs win. Yeah, yeah, greatest team of all time?
Speaker 11: I mean it's the greatest team of all time in a four or five year span.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what this season, if what they've done, Yeah, can you label them the greatest?
Speaker 1: This is this season? No, no, no way, no way. Okay, which team is the greatest? Gosh?
Speaker 11: I mean it's hard for me not to look at like the ninety two Cowboys and the eighty nine to forty nine Ers and teams.
Speaker 1: Like that where I go.
Speaker 11: You know, again, it's a little unfair because, as you know, it's it's it's pre salary cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those teams were stacked.
Speaker 11: But those teams, I mean, we go back, those teams weren't eking out every game going on, right, I hope they missed the field goal. I hope we block it. I hope something magical happens. Those teams were dominating football teams. I think you can remember that, and yeah, I don't know if it matches up with that.
Speaker 2: I'm talking to Chris Sims, Pro Football Talk Live co host. You can see that on Peacock prior to our show, Christim's on Button podcast and a contributor to NBC Football Night in America, the football equivalent to Luca and Anthony Davis.
Speaker 11: I know I heard you say that, and I did see Schefter's tweet too, and it was something more along the lines of, like what you were saying, older, good quarterback for somebody in his prime.
Speaker 1: I don't know that, right, And you know, a.
Speaker 11: Jared Goff type at age for one of these young whipper snappers, who's a star right now?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: You know, I mean to me, there's four quarterbacks that stand alone in football right now, and you know who they are. And the Mahomes Lamar, Josh Allen, and Joe Burrow are on another level. Then we can get a discussion about the other guys, but those four are like far and away the best in the.
Speaker 1: Game right now.
Speaker 2: But you look back on the Herschel deal, Yeah, yeah, I remember it, man, that changed the Cowboys. Yeah, I mean, it won them three Super Bowls, change football, right, right, Andrew Luck announcing his retirement, it changed some stuff.
Speaker 1: That was one of those where you didn't believe it, right, yep.
Speaker 2: But I don't know if there's anything else that comes to mind, because you normally don't get big NFL trade No.
Speaker 11: I mean Eric Dickerson in the eighties, I remember him, right, that was a big one. That was a big deal. You guys hit on Ricky Williams. Of course that was a huge draft day. But yeah, nothing that I can like, nothing where you can go star for star like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not even in NBA mode. But I woke up on Sunday morning, like what we did was this real? My son texts me and he's like, did this really happen? And I was like, I think it did. I did the same thing.
Speaker 2: But I had people texting me that just said OMG or WT yeah right, I don't even know what they're talking about.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, I just saw Luca. I think that was the first text I got. I can't believe they traded Luca. And I'm like, what you know looking around off season?
Speaker 2: Sam Darnold, Uh, you know what the Raiders doing.
Speaker 1: Chip Kelly just got hired.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See I like that.
Speaker 11: I like Pete Carroll being the head coach there. You know, they're kind of a team that's in a little disarray. Get a guy in there that kind of lead them into the future in the right direction. How long that future will be I don't know. But Pete can certainly energize an organization. But can you bring in.
Speaker 2: Russell Wilson if you're not Carroll, even though Russell tried to get Pete fired and stay.
Speaker 11: Exactly no like other than that, nor I mean, I don't think even from a football like decision making process, that's a logical thing to do.
Speaker 1: Right now, I would be shocked if he's back with the Steelers as the quarterback. I wouldn't have him back. I would I would try with Justin Field.
Speaker 11: If you gave me the option of him or Justin Fields, I'd go there's more upside with Justin Fields. I think Russell maybe he gets another shock to be a starter somewhere, But if it does, it's gonna be something like Sam Donald was just a part of Like, Hey, we're gonna sign you, but we might draft a quarterback too, right, You're just gonna be a bridge guy. But I don't even know if that's gonna happen. It'll be interesting, Sam Donald will be interesting.
Speaker 1: That could see paying brock Perty is your buddy. I don't know.
Speaker 11: Kyle Channa probably want me to talk about these subjects and say these things. But I wouldn't pay him, like pay him what you know what full vote, No way, no way, that's crazy. I think that's crazy. This has to stop, you know, to me, Like again, I'll go to the Dolphins too, with two of fifty five million a year for what.
Speaker 1: Who was gonna pay him thirty five million a year?
Speaker 11: Well, they're negotiating against themselves, Like why no.
Speaker 1: Nobody's gonna like, go, oh my gosh, the forty nine ers didn't pay brock Party.
Speaker 11: Let's trade the farm for him, or let's we'll break the bank for him.
Speaker 1: He's really good.
Speaker 11: But what's wrong with paying the quarterback thirty five million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: When he's kind of the middle of the pack quarterback in the NFL. That's where I look at brock Party.
Speaker 11: I think he's about fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, somewhere in.
Speaker 1: That range, you know. So I don't. I don't.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't do that, And I think that's how teams are gonna mess up their you know, their teams and their rosters for the future making those decisions.
Speaker 2: The Titans on record is talking about generational talent at the top of the draft. Generational talent doesn't sound like the two quarterbacks.
Speaker 11: I don't know they are either, You're right, I mean, whether they talking about Travis Hunter maybe. I mean, I don't know if that's the guy they're talking about, Carter or Abdua Carter or somebody like that. The quarterbacks, I do like them, I do now, I mean, do I like them as much as the top two guys as last year? And you know, I haven't gotten into studying these guys quite yet, but of course watch college football, and I love Shadur Sanders. I think he's old school. I mean, when I watch him, I think it's Doug Williams. He just standing back there like I'm gonna throw a rifle down the field speed?
Speaker 1: How did that happen? I said that to my wife the other day. I was like, isn't it funny?
Speaker 11: His son's this big pocket passing quarterbacks, strong, makes good decisions, puts the ball wherever he wants, slow as hell, slow as hell, and Dean's the fastest human I've ever seen in a football field. Cam Ward's special too, though I do like cam Ward, I do. Cam Ward's got a little more size to him than I thought. And of course his ability his arm is real that all the different angles, the strength of it. And then of course he can make people miss in the pocket to then throw the ball down the field too.
Speaker 1: He's pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Can you see Dion influencing the draft? How would he influence the drumt I think he could influence it.
Speaker 11: Just Deon's a master, right, I'm one of the reasons I wore number two is because of Dion. Dion and your slow was held hill, so he right, So all the quarterbacks that like Dion are slow and they're not like Deon. Right, That's why I dreamed it be like that.
Speaker 1: You didn't want your dance number.
Speaker 11: I mean I did for a little, but you know, when I got to like freshman year in high school, Dion and Derek Jeter were kicking some butt, and I was like, no quarterbacks were wearing number two, and I was like, I'm going to be the guy that brings two to life. Right, That's kind of what I thought. Okay, of course I didn't bring it much to life, but I literally almost tried to die in it when I lost my sling and all of it.
Speaker 2: But either way, imagine how history would have treated you. You left it all out on the field right right, like Kyle Trask wearing two. I'm like, they didn't retire my jersey? What are they doing down there in Sanpa? How could they do that to me? Only guy ever that almost died on the field. Where is your split? I guess in a garbage somewhere. You know, they didn't even let you keep it, no, would you? What do you think I was going to bring it home and put on like the trophy case and be like, hey, guys, look at this. You know I would have displayed Thomas Davis did this to me. I would have displayed it on the show. Honestly, I'm crazy enough that I probably would have.
Speaker 11: But yeah, I never got that option, and you know, things were kind of emergency at that point, so yeah, that was it. Yeah, but Dunken influenced the draft. I think if his son tells him he's not feeling a spot or whatever like that, Deane'll say it publicly or let the message out there that they're not in favor of it.
Speaker 1: And that's where I feel like he can sway things a little bit.
Speaker 2: We just had Ross Tucker on last hour, and he of course covers the Eagles throughout the season. He's taking the Chiefs over the Eagles because he said, I can't go against Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: I know if it's going to be a one score game. I know that's the hard thing.
Speaker 11: There's no doubt the Eagles are better than the Chiefs, there's no doubt.
Speaker 1: But they have to be up by at least ten with too many do you feel like they got to be like that? It's got to be one of those games four If it's thirty to.
Speaker 11: Twenty four, you're sitting on the couch going, oh crap, they're in trouble.
Speaker 1: They're in trouble. Here he comes, here comes fifteen. So yes, I agree with you. There, I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 11: I feel like I'm leaning Eagles. I lied to you last year. Yeah you did, because I got scared. I was kind of in between and it was a Monday, and I was I was afraid that the Shanahans and all my family friends and all my Texas friends were going to go, what the f You picked the Chiefs right on the Monday to start the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So I was like a little undecided.
Speaker 11: I was like, I think I'm going to pick the Chiefs, but I came on here and said the forty nine ers, and then, of course, as you saw on my shows and everything, I picked the Chiefs later in the week.
Speaker 1: I will not lie to you now.
Speaker 11: There's no there's no friends or family here that I'm worried about, right, there's no connections with the Peaks. I don't know if I am. I think I'm going to take the Eagles. I think I'm going to take the Eagles. I'm going to go with the team that I think is the best. Now, the Chiefs continually can ruin that, and they've done that to me. I'm not sure they've been the better team and any super Bowl they've played yet, I don't know, but they've they've graduated to the Brady Belichick definitely, and they've graduated to like, wait, oh, this is a clutch moment. Do I have a pulse?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: I Mean, that's that's where they're scary.
Speaker 11: When you win a Super Bowl, when you do it the way they did it, nothing can make them nervous anymore.
Speaker 1: Nothing like when I see him in week eight and.
Speaker 11: I'm like, these guys aren't nervous after three ten point deficits in the Super Bowl to come back and win. They don't give a crap about week eight. We're down by four in the fourth quarter, and I don't think they'll care about this one. The start of the game is gonna be big in this because I do think the Eagles are going to manage emotions a little and the Chiefs are gonna be like, let's go.
Speaker 1: We've been here before.
Speaker 11: And that's where I do worry about the Eagles letting the game get away from them right out of the gate a little bit. Great to talk to you, always great to talk to you too, knocking the mic off in the end? Did I hear Russ? I mean Ross sat there? No, No, At first I know he was going to what I don't know. Yeah, he's alignment where to go? Come on, we went to Princeton, man, but not smart. Principle's smart.
Speaker 2: Chrissy, look smart. I can't go across a cross one right. Chris Sims Pro Football Talk Live, co host and contributor to Football Night in America his podcast Unbuttoned. We'll take a break. We'll get to your phone calls coming up right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock Act. Best and Worst of the.
Speaker 7: Weekend, Best and Worst of the Weekend, And of course Luca being in LA is the best and as far as the worst is realizing how much connections matter in these leagues, as far as just Nico being a Nike rep for AD and has been per Ramona has been trying to get AD for the last couple of years. My question to you is, do you think he can have a Marcus Freeman effect and actually lure a couple free agents to make it seem as if it's a viable option.
Speaker 1: Do I think that Anthony Davis can? Oh he hung up. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people are going to go I want to play like Luca could, but I don't see Anthony David. Plus, you got to be a different kind of player to want to play with Luca because it I mean, you're waiting to see when when he's going to throw you the ball. You gotta be a player. Does like to shoot the basket? Yes, yeah, you can't go, man. I'd like to be in the back court with him. He's probably not going to get the ball very much. Let me see.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, this hour brought to you by Keeper's Heart.
Speaker 2: New unique style of whiskey combines the best of Irish and American whiskies, and it creates a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskies. If you're a whiskey fan, you've got to try it and drink responsibly.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Time to play fill in the blank, Paul, Dallas Mavericks are blank.
Speaker 4: Confusing, Seaton, The Dallas Mavericks are confused, Yeah, Todd.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Mavericks are Luca Warm.
Speaker 1: Lukewarm, Okay, Lucawarm.
Speaker 5: Okay, Marvin, I was gonna say to Cobboys, the Dallas Mavericks are cowboys esque.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I'll go with that. Luca and the Lakers, Luca with the Lakers will be blank. Marvin must see TV Todd entertaining seatan elite, elite, elite, Paul long term, Mark Cuban must be blank, seatan laughing, okay, Todd confused.
Speaker 1: We did reach out to Mark Cuban that he said he couldn't talk.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know if something physically happened to him where he can't talk, or he just does.
Speaker 1: It want to just can't. Sorry, it was very vague.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paulie, Mark Cuban must be beyond frustrated.
Speaker 3: Marvin flabbergasted.
Speaker 2: The super Bowl matchup is blank, Todd.
Speaker 6: Entertaining, it's going to be editating. The SUPERO massive matchup will be editating. But the super Bowl matchup is right, like they got it right? Is that one where ro I'm gonna go with right? The two best teams are in, so the super Bowl matchup is right.
Speaker 12: It's right, okay, Marvin Born, PAULI blowout proof, no chance of a blowout.
Speaker 1: Really too tight. These teams are too tight. I don't know.
Speaker 2: This might be one and the Goldish at joined us next hour. Which team is more likely to blow out the other one?
Speaker 1: That one?
Speaker 2: I think you might get people thinking the Eagles could do that.
Speaker 1: Seaton.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl matchup is blank, It's great, perfect. Tom Brady will be blank on Super Bowl Sunday. Todd self involved, He's he's don the games.
Speaker 1: That's not what I would have done.
Speaker 3: I would have thought it this way.
Speaker 1: If there's something, he's gonna be a know it all.
Speaker 3: A little bit like I would have.
Speaker 1: I never did this.
Speaker 2: In the Super they do that there, I would Marvin tom Brady will be blank on Super Bowl Sunday.
Speaker 3: Lander.
Speaker 2: Oh that is good man, that's gonna give you a blue bloop uh.
Speaker 1: Setan.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's the right word, but I had preening. Oh yeah, I love sort of zulander ish, but making sure he looks good.
Speaker 8: That's pretty good, paul This is weird because the Games in the future, Tom Brady will be younger next Sunday.
Speaker 1: Bourbon Street in New Orleans is blank. Seatan uh not for my age group. Sorry, it's not one word, but.
Speaker 8: Paulie, everything about America DoD yumbo, okay, gumbo.
Speaker 1: Marvin.
Speaker 2: Bourbon Street in New Orleans is blank inexperience, Yes, it is, depending on what time of the day or night.
Speaker 1: Yes, you go there.
Speaker 2: I'll update the poll results if you can. Seaton from the second hour of the program. We'll talk to Brian Windhorst at the top of the hour, and the Golics, Big Mike Little Mike will be here as well.
Speaker 4: Who goes further this season MAVs, Lakers or Spurs. Right now, the Lakers are in first place, followed by the Spurs. MAVs only about twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Of that boat.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think the odds for both of these teams improved with the trade. Which is odd but which one has? The Lakers have better championship onds I believe than the donas Mavericks.
Speaker 4: It feels like an insult to Kyrie. But how does Kyrie feel about this? More shots indifferent?
Speaker 1: I think no man, maybe not.
Speaker 2: Mike might want to move on to his next destination here all right, Final Hour on the way Brian Windhorse will help us understand why this trade happened, and Big Mike Little Mike Goulick will stop by as well.
Speaker 1: The final hour in this Monday after this