Speaker 1: Just help you guys out.
Speaker 2: Some players that we anticipate starting on the pup list. Ricky Purcell uh injured his hamstring away from here, he'll start on the pup list. Drake Jackson coming off the plateleton and surgery, Drake Greenlaw with his achilles, and Taalnoa all tracking well. But we will start training camp with those guys on p up and after that open up for questions.
Speaker 3: Righton that you will be report Are you reported.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: The actual they still have another hour and change, you know until so. I don't know if he is here, but we expect all our players to report and be here.
Speaker 3: Any understanding with him that you will continue to negotiate.
Speaker 2: We've had great communication. You know, we started this really early. We made it a priority to try to get done. We've had excellent communication throughout. You know, really don't want to characterize we we haven't been able to and that's that's a shame. But uh, you know we're we're Brandon's a big part of our team and uh we expect that he will be this year.
Speaker 4: Is there possibility you do some sort of restructuring like you did with Hiems turned back in the past.
Speaker 1: Everything's a possibility.
Speaker 2: You know, we uh are not gonna not gonna get into negotiations and and you know there's a Kyle says, there's no absolute, so we're open to anything. And you know, like I said, Brandon's a big part of this team and we expect that he will be going forward. Yet whether he'll practice.
Speaker 1: We expect all our players to practice.
Speaker 5: John, last year, you gave us an absolute that would not be traded. You make that same statement about Brandon.
Speaker 2: Well, Kyle and I always you know, we kind of I did say that with Bosa and I felt that way, but you know, I I I think again, no absolutes there. We fully intend on Brandon being a Niner moving forward. We're always open to listen to things. But like I said, we expect Brandon to be an integral part of our team like he has been, and excited about that.
Speaker 3: Well, post have mentioned last year that he thought maybe obviously really long negotiation that did affect him during the season clause numbers go down. Deebo Aways mentioned, you know during his contractual offseason that that kind of threw off his season that followed. Are you concerned that this could happen with ayuk or anybody, but specifically ayuk Oh.
Speaker 6: Anytime you I mean don't get a practice like you're used to, and I mean the NFL season real hard, so anytime you don't really get to prepare the right wing in training camp. It's a challenge for all those players, and the tons of players have gone through it. Some have bigger challenges than others. Each one's different. You know, I don't remember Deebo missing much. I think we got him done the first couple of days.
Speaker 7: From what I remember. Bosa just you.
Speaker 6: Know the way a D lineman is. I think it's a little bit different. But then getting in football shape, no matter how hard you work out, it's tough. It's tough to catch up throughout the season. So both of those guys have their individual experiences with it.
Speaker 7: It never helps, but it's something that's not a new thing. Something I deal with people requested to trade.
Speaker 8: A couple of years ago, you were asked why you were confident would work yourself out, and you said that you have a personal relationship with him and you hadn't.
Speaker 1: Even talked to him yet.
Speaker 8: Why are you confident that you can work things out with if things get well?
Speaker 6: I mean, I remember exactly and knowing you, I don't know exactly said that, but I don't remember, but you know, I have a personal relationship with all our players, and you'd like to be able to talk with those guys, and usually when it does get close, it can work out. And I would feel the same with Brandon. Brandon here for four years. I'm going in our fifth year together and got a lot of love for ba. I think I'm close with them and hope that can't help, but only can help so much. There's also business side to it, but when you do have relationships with people, it helps.
Speaker 4: People have been able to work at these huge contracts for the star players like both and deep in the past. Has it's been one of the more challenging ones that you've since you've come, since you've.
Speaker 2: Come to Santa Clara, you know, I think, first of all, I think it's important to note we're fortunate to be in this position where we have a lot of talented players, so you have to have these conversations. This one has been challenging. As I said, we set it out, we started it earlier than we have in the past, made it a priority, and there's a lot of dynamics I'm not going to get into all of them, but there's a lot of dynamics as to why it's been challenging. And you know, uh, the fifth year option is something we all sign up for when you have a first round pick, and you know that's been out there. But we've tried diligently to get this done. We haven't been able to get there. That's you know, what I've learned from my past experiences for the last seven years going into our eighth is that sometimes when you think there's no way this thing's going to progress, they do. Sometimes when you think there's all right, this thing's done tomorrow, it's not. So you just keep keep going, You stay in communication, and you know, you understand that it's a business. I've been in their shoes. I know where they're at, I know the challenges. I take a lot of pride in having things done so that our team can focus on the job at hand, and it hurts me when that's not always done at this time of year.
Speaker 1: So I understand that.
Speaker 2: But again, I think we're in a forts We've We've got a lot of talented players and we've rewarded a lot so that it does become more challenging in time when you've when you've.
Speaker 1: Rewarded so many players.
Speaker 2: So but those that's also why this is a very good team that has such high expectations. Definitely be outside it would seem like the amount of receivers that have signed around the league.
Speaker 7: Would maybe make it easier.
Speaker 1: Has it? Has it in fact actually made it harder? And is there concern that this is pushing the price to a place.
Speaker 9: That you you aren't willing to go?
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't say that, and I you know, again, I'm not going to get into the specifics. I think there's a privacy that has earned and and you know I always go back to I didn't like my business being aired out, So I'm not going to get into the specifics. There's certainly markets that happen, in developments that happened that effect. But you know, we also have our own roster, and like I said, we've rewarded a lot of players, so things do get more challenging. You know, we we've put our best foot forward, but you know, both sides have to come to great we haven't been able to.
Speaker 1: Do that yet, and so where that goes, we'll see.
Speaker 7: It's a good timeline to be for Ricky with that hamstringing.
Speaker 2: You know, I think we feel pretty confident he's in a good place. We kind of work in blocks. Our thought is that he go, he misses the first block and then you know, on that second block.
Speaker 1: But we're not going to put him out there.
Speaker 2: That's on our trainers, our performance staff, and we won't put him out there too early, you know. On that note, you know, Ben Peterson moved on to the Atlanta Hawks. We thank Ben for all his contributions. Well, we'll announce formally what their titles are and all that, but Dustin Little are head athletic trainer and Dustin Perry will be taking that kind of in a dual, dual role, and we're excited about that.
Speaker 1: Those are good people that we've got a good.
Speaker 2: System in place, and those guys will be taking the reins these extensions.
Speaker 8: It seems like you are comfortable taking your time with them as long as as it takes.
Speaker 7: Other teams seem to be doing them as as soon as.
Speaker 1: A player becomes eligible. Well, why do you like to take your time with these extensions? I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm impatient, you know, And that's h I like going and I think again, we've had a lot of really talented players, and it's you know, I think, you know, put our track record against anybody in terms of getting players signed. I wish it could happen quicker, you know, and you know, but I'm proud of our record.
Speaker 7: During now season.
Speaker 4: Was Christian McCaffrey. How important was it for both to make sure you have him around?
Speaker 1: He's a pretty good football player.
Speaker 7: Very important, you know.
Speaker 6: It's it's always tough with all this stuff, just any everything that the question guy has asked and pertaining contracts and stuff, and there's that's the whole challenge that you got to understand the market and how that works in the league, and you also got to understand what works for our team and how to build your own team with it. And there's two things that you're constantly weighing, and it's not easy to figure out. And there's never an obvious right way or wrong way. You tried to figure out the best way, and that's a lot of stuff goes into that. And to be able to get Christian here, with what he's done the last couple of years and what we plan on him doing for the next few years, we're really excited to get that done and felt great about it.
Speaker 10: From the outside, when a guy makes a trade of requests and.
Speaker 1: Comments, it's like.
Speaker 10: Oh, this is not going well. There's a real huge impast the fact that he appears to be going to be showing up and maybe just in that at least assigned to you, that is an optimistic sign where he might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always want to be optimistic. Eric, You know that this has been a tough one. I think it's been been hard to find that coming, evidenced by us not not having a deal in place when we both have tried. You know, so I guess I'm you know, we're going to continue to work towards finding resolution and you know, not optimistic, not pessimistic, you know, just going to keep attacking it and trying to find the right the right endpoint for for each of us. And you know, leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Here's all you said, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, treated the same way as but because he did it away from here, ni fi?
Speaker 11: And how long is it?
Speaker 9: Block of prat It's really like the first four days everyone in the league has to do four days and then you get a day off and I'll be in there hopefully we'll be in there in the next three at least ease him into there.
Speaker 1: Our kittle uh travous word and Brendle coming. Will they have any restrictions of any.
Speaker 7: Kind, We'll be smart with them.
Speaker 6: But I mean, they're all one hundred percent healed and stuff. You just got to be careful how you get them back in and but they'll have some days off and stuff like that, but they're all good to go.
Speaker 11: And you said getting defensive lineman ready is a little bit different, how.
Speaker 6: Sor I mean, I think I think each team's differently, each team's different.
Speaker 7: But I would say, like I mean, i'd say a kicker if you.
Speaker 6: Want to worry about it all, because they're not tied to many other people. I think a D lineman especially, you know, with the four down scheme and the way we play it, it's a little.
Speaker 7: More individual based and stuff.
Speaker 6: Now you've got to get back into football shape and the movement and stuff.
Speaker 7: But as a as far as.
Speaker 6: An O lineman, when you're moving in combination with the guy next to you or sometimes both guys next year three people, you have to zone stuff off. It just it takes longer to build guys together and things like that at other positions, D line, not that any of them are good. I would say is I'd put probably behind kicker at that.
Speaker 8: John, do you have a date a time when you you would like to have brandon situation resolve?
Speaker 1: No date? You know, yesterday?
Speaker 2: You know, uh you know, but uh, you know, we'll continue communication and you know, keep working.
Speaker 7: As a coach.
Speaker 8: How does it affect to have a piece like Brandon not you not knowing if you're going to have what day, what to what capacity to see?
Speaker 7: I mean, it's a question mark. How does it affect you and your planning?
Speaker 6: I mean it's tough, I mean, especially a player like Brandon. But that's something like I mean, if I just found that out today, you probably see me a lot more of a panic. But it's something that you you understand what's going on. You've understood that the whole off season. It's something I hope that we don't have to deal with. But if you do, that's you got to deal with it. So you prepare for that and how you think, how you plan, and it's not something that you can.
Speaker 7: Let surprise you.
Speaker 6: In my situation, so it's definitely not ideal situation, not at all what you want, but it's something that you're prepared for as a coach and you playing your team accordingly.
Speaker 3: How you're going to split the quarterback rep or Bobs and Allen going to split the twos?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they'll keep splitting those reps compete for the two spot.
Speaker 4: A year ago, Brock was entering training camp not fully healthy. How different is the experience now coming with him full off season?
Speaker 2: Good to go?
Speaker 7: It's cool. I mean, it's nice. It's just there's a lot more uncertainty. You know.
Speaker 6: I felt good about him last year and just talking to him every day and watching his rehab that looked great, but it's still a scary injury and you got to be You're nervous when he comes back this year. Just being able to go through an off season that just wasn't in the film room that was the film room, and the football field was great. I know he had a good forty days away. Awesome that he got married, and I think he's in a great spot in his life, great spot physically, and I'm just pumped to start tomorrow with him.
Speaker 8: How was this off season different than the ones you had when you were so close? When you can you can.
Speaker 1: Win the win.
Speaker 6: It was a lot shorter last time that after the Super Bowl, you know, we got three weeks off and then you come back in and I think I came back in for two days before the whole world shut down and I went home and stayed in sweats and hung out with my kids for the next four months because of COVID.
Speaker 7: So it's different.
Speaker 6: And we weren't even sure if we were going to have a season, and then we just crammed in a training camp right before the season, so it was totally different.
Speaker 7: This one went a lot faster.
Speaker 6: I think that is the tough things about going to the Super Bowl and stuff, and whether you win or lose, how long it takes to deal with some of the things that you put off all the way to February, the recovery you need just mentally and physically. But when you get to this point, it all kind of feels the same. If you would ask me this forty days ago, I'd been like, oh, I need a little bit more time. But now that I've been away from this building and everyone really has and we've done forty days with our family, it's it's time to get back. And I know my family wants me back bad and here, and I'm ready to start doing some things besides going to the beach with them.
Speaker 7: What did you want and what aspect.
Speaker 8: About yourself as a coach, the season, the game? What did you learn these forty days about yourself?
Speaker 6: The forty days, I learned how much fun I can have before I need to go back, And it gets less and less each year as I get older. You start to realize how you got to balance more stuff out and did a lot more like going on morning walks and stuff with my family, which made me feel very old, but after doing it for about four days, maybe me feel a lot healthier. So like I enjoyed that stuff, got in a lot more routines. And it's really about I think as you go. I mean, it's my twentieth season, and you so know what it's about, Like you so know what you're doing every single day. You so know about the seventh month grind, and it's it's not at all coming back to the hours.
Speaker 7: It's coming back to.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna have a day off minus that by week until hopefully February, and so it's just you know what that takes. You know what you're going to go through, so you kind of know how to handle yourself the forty days away, you know, spiritually, mentally, physically, all the stuff.
Speaker 7: And players got to build their body up in a certain way.
Speaker 6: And guys who go to the Super Bowl, our vets who have been in the playoffs for the last few years, who always do that extra stuff. When you do that your first time, you're like, holy cow, I didn't know how hard this was. And then everyone kind of learns what it's like, and coaches, players, everyone. I think you kind of understand what you need to do for yourself to get through what you're expecting to happen.
Speaker 1: Facial hair experimentation.
Speaker 7: Worry, what the equation?
Speaker 6: I always experienced my off season because I'm out of boredom. But I got very used to it, and I liked it because my wife did. But I knew you guys would talk about it too much, so I had to shave it yesterday.
Speaker 4: You're going to create such a big store with it.
Speaker 6: Never know I thought it was gonna be more low key, and I'm as many people see, but that was probably dumb with me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you do it the first week.
Speaker 6: But because I've never worn a mustache before, but once you wear it for a week, you get used to it, and it's not a big deal until you see someone who hasn't seen you yet, and then they look at you very Weirdly's I learned to demands respect. Whether it's good respect or bad respect, no respect, it still makes someone decide.
Speaker 7: But I can't care anything.
Speaker 1: He inspired some people in the process.
Speaker 2: I think some nice stashes in the in the in the early check ins the.
Speaker 5: Off season, you said to us, hey, you know, we really want to add some finishers.
Speaker 7: How do you define that?
Speaker 5: And now looking back at the off season, did you were able to add some finishers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we always want I mean that's that's one of the things we are always talking about, adding finishers.
Speaker 1: And what is finishing meaning? It means finishing the day.
Speaker 2: It means finishing a meeting, a finishing that game, finishing a series, finishing a season. That's important in this league because this league is a grind and you need people that can close things out. And you know, I think as close as we come, I think you just keep adding those type of people and you give yourself a chance. Kyle and I I think kind of raised the same way my dad used to say in life. All you want is a chance and you have to earn that. His dad used to say that as a head coach all the time. I remember hearing that in my years at Denver. We have a chance. This him as a chance. It's a it's an awesome opportunity that we have going into camp. I'm really excited. Uh it's uh, I'm fired up, and uh I think, Uh, that's that's why you need finishers, to h to close everything you do, to finish everything you do, John.
Speaker 11: Agents, that's the best time to have your player pulled out is when you're playing for a team that is on the verge or close to winning a championship.
Speaker 10: That's the most pressure on its.
Speaker 7: How do you react to that on the other.
Speaker 2: Side of it, Well, I guess I understand that narrative, but you know, we we're trying to have success right now Jason first and foremost, but always keep in mind of out into the future, and so that's what we'll continue to do. That's that's our charge, that's our our that's who we are as an organization, and we're going to push each year to compete for championships and do so. You know, I think in a responsible way, and that's what we try to do.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's been good. It's been good to us.
Speaker 2: We've got to find a way to be a little bit better, and I'm excited for that opportunity.
Speaker 10: John, have you guys had.
Speaker 5: To watch the Netflix Receiver and did you learn anything from Debo and Kiddle watching it, or even just about the team in general watching it from them.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched it, you know, I hear a lot my kids have watched it. I don't have anything against it. I think there's great programming. You know, during those forty days away, I try to really, you know, embrace my family and embrace some of the things we're doing, our kids and all that.
Speaker 1: So I've shut it off.
Speaker 2: Maybe I get to it as we're traveling this this season, but I have not. I've heard great things about the content. It's the world we live in, and I think some of those things are exciting. I think back to I think I was the first player, me and Jerry Rice and Super Bowl thirty seven to wear a live mike the game, and that was such a foreign concept then. It just it was unheard of, and John Madden tucked me into it because he said you'll have this for your kids someday. I was most concerned about my mom hearing my language on the field. Nowadays, I think people are accustomed to it. It's just kind of what you what you know, and they're they're going even further. I'm in some of this stuff hard knocks during the off season.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, all right, those guys can have that. We like doing our business the way we like doing our business.
Speaker 7: So I'm the same.
Speaker 6: My son has told me everything about it, but I've personally watched it.
Speaker 1: All right, Thank you, Thank you, guys.