Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Miles.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by an author, musician, Yes, and podcast host of the Anarchists Survivalist podcast Live Like the World Is Dying and the Cool Zone Media Robert and Sophie Lickterman's Cool Zone Media podcast Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff? Please welcome Margaret kill.
Speaker 3: John that's me. I didn't prepare a song. I'm sorry. AKA Magpie that's right, Yeah right, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What's the thing about Magpie is the bird?
Speaker 3: Like what did they steal things? Yeah? That is how I got the name.
Speaker 1: Oh really they steal shiny stuff, right, and like build a little shiny like bachelor pad thing to impress.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're a shiny object collector. Like like crows and ravens, they're pretty related.
Speaker 5: Do they have the same like memory too? Like how crows would be like yo, focal one crow. It could be smoke from the whole murder.
Speaker 3: I think so only a group of magpies is called it tiding.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so much nicer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, I like to take it as ominous instead of direct.
Speaker 1: But right, tidings to you, they say before they rob your ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Well wait what were you what were you stealing?
Speaker 2: What were you coming up on.
Speaker 4: All the time?
Speaker 3: Mostly food and books, I guess when I was twenty. Yeah, I got it for two reasons. One, I would like find little rusty and shiny things in like the street. When I was walking around I was I was like a crosspunk squad, and so I would pick up little rusty things and make weird bad jewelry with it, eventually learn how to make better. And then the other thing is, yeah I used to shoplift, Yeah, like it was my job because it kind of was, because it's how I fed myself and my friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would never advocate.
Speaker 4: Oh whatever, do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, whatever it is, do what you gotta do, what you gotta do. What is something from your search history?
Speaker 6: Okay, So I've talked about this previously on this podcast. I recently started working out with a personal trainer, So because of that, I'm really obsessed with macros like macro nutrients, making sure I'm eating the right amount of protein. So my most recent search history was how much protein is in brunch? And I was really stressed while I was googling it. My girlfriend and I took out the brunch on Sunday and I was just like, oh, shoot too shit, Can I make this work with my macros?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Macros are like protein, like the like protein carbs and like protein carbs and fat.
Speaker 2: Was it just a fistful of hollow day sauce?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, I asked them to sprinkle a little bit of chicken into it, just to protein.
Speaker 7: It's like a sippy cup of holiday one holiday sauce, one chicken.
Speaker 1: Brass, one holidays please. Yeah, yeah, I love holiday sauce with French fries. And the macros on that not good? Not good.
Speaker 2: Look you can off set it.
Speaker 6: If you can off set it if you eat some just pure slim gems for dinner later.
Speaker 1: Are slim gyms good macros.
Speaker 6: So a lot of the struggles macros is making sure that you have like a good protein protein to calorie ratio, and sims do have a very good protein calorie ratio.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the sodium like compounds that I.
Speaker 6: Just don't even think about. Oka for sure, I'm for sure getting mummified from the inside based on my diet right now, right but my protein is but my protein level is good.
Speaker 1: They're gonna find your liver in forty five thousand years and be like, holy shit, this is perfectly preserved and glow and eat it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I gotta say it is. It's so funny how obsessed I've gotten with this stuff. I recently heard a former dailies I guess guessed I'm Eli Yuden post on Twitter something to the effect of, like I'm thinking about eating more protein and stuff like that. I immediately jumped into his d DMS and was just like, here's the best Greek yogurt like brand?
Speaker 2: Just like brand?
Speaker 6: Oh okay, so oh yeah something real opinion So no, no, So the the brands that I like is that brand called Oikos that is ninety calories for fifteen grams of protein, and then there's another brand called Shobani that's sixty calories for eleven grams of protein. And they don't taste bad. There's a little bit of flavor to them, but it's just like if you you know, like if it's the end of the day and you're about to go to bed, but you're just like, oh, I'm sure on protein by ten grams, then you can just like chug a Greek yogurt while I was trying to sleep. This is what my life is. I'm a cautionary tale. Don't try to become me. I hate this.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to remember when when like Greek yogurt it first came out as like a mass marketed product. I was still living in New York and one of my coworkers, like one of my best like actual work friends, was like.
Speaker 2: Oh no, man, I don't fuck with Greek yogurts. Like I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to remember, but not say the brand because it's a little I guess libelist or whatever.
Speaker 6: But basically it came allegedly alleged, so what hap turned his insides into goose?
Speaker 7: Well, it's not about the product. He was like, I can't funk, I can't fuck with those that Greek yogurt. And I was like, oh, well why, I mean, it's good, I think, and he was like yeah, like the guy that founded the company, like like my friend's wife cheated on him with oh no, like like broke up the marriage. So it's like, yeah, I don't fuck with Greek yogret. I was like, that's a brilliant just like.
Speaker 6: That one brand or like any.
Speaker 7: Just one brand of Greek yogurt. And I don't remember which it is. I don't think if I were to guess, it would be not polite. I suppose Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why, let's just go with it. Anyways. Top three Greek yogurt brands that we think the guy might be.
Speaker 7: Which, yeah, which, which is the Which is the cheat nest, cheatness tasted yogurt.
Speaker 6: You gonna say, Jack, where were you with that? With that balloon telling him to say six inches apart when exactly.
Speaker 1: Yourself, mister, your work is never done.
Speaker 6: Noos is very virtuous. I'm going to defend to the death.
Speaker 1: It was probably one of the brands that like tells their whole founder story on the label, you know.
Speaker 2: Like the found the story was definitely he likes.
Speaker 6: So hard he likes Greek yogurt because it's kind of like, this is why he likes the yog this is why he got the whole.
Speaker 1: I also remember hearing that Greek yogurt like the process for making Greek yogurt. It makes the yogurt very good, very great. Macros on that ship, even though you you were the Charles Barkley of macros and don't want people to think of you as a role model. I don't think of you.
Speaker 2: As a role model. Oh I know.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about these macros. But then like the other thing, the water or the liquid that gets strained out to make it like that hypercondensed greekogret is like poison something that I'm covering back in the day, and like they don't know what to do with it. They're like, oh no.
Speaker 6: No, I'm sure me like being like eating this very specific macro diet is cutting fifty years off of my life.
Speaker 7: No, I think it was like as a as a waste, as a waste, yeah, exactly, like acidic or something, yes, hypercidic.
Speaker 2: And it just makes me like it more.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess what it is is it's very clearly just the opposite of the Greek yogurt.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like it's just like that's what they're saying, is that the macros on this waste byproduct are terrible.
Speaker 2: That's why it's a waste by product.
Speaker 7: Took you took milk and split it into good and evil.
Speaker 1: That's right, will say Sloan. We do like to also ask our guess, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Taylor Swift?
Speaker 8: She's just white.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you think of the Republican sort of like hysteria over how they're like she's going to swing the election.
Speaker 8: They need honestly, thank you for getting the heat off of black.
Speaker 2: People to.
Speaker 8: Run it, because this is what you do. Know, if Kansas City would have lost the super Bowl, it would have been her fault. Yes, but they won and it's Travis Kelsey, So she doesn't get the push, she doesn't get the benefit of them winning, but she would have caught all the heat if they.
Speaker 4: Lost, right, and that's not fair.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not a fan of little Girl, but that's just ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you don't need that kind of missige and me flying that way, right, So it.
Speaker 8: Was just like she was gonna catch pure hell. Also even if she's still even if she told everybody to vote for a specific candidate, that's not illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, right, obviously, the only the.
Speaker 8: Thing that's going to swing the election as the policies as the Republican Party. But the problem is is that nobody wants to in the same way. So when Hilary Clinton was running against Trump, I saw something on Instagram and it said, all right, let me go get up and vote for this girl. And I was like, that is perfect. That is exactly how I felt. Let me get up and vote for this girl. I'm I decided to vote for Biden. But they know that Kamala Harris has no chance, right none. So it's like, okay, you have to run Biden against Trump. Becau Kamala Harris has absolutely no chance. But it's they're the oldest can dates in the history of the world, like in the history of America.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole.
Speaker 8: Candidates in the history of America. And John said, like on the show on Monday, he was like, the last time there were people this old was them four.
Speaker 1: Years four years ago. They broke the record of the first time.
Speaker 8: So I was like, I was like, damn, that's wild. But no, Taylor the Swift anchor, I mean, all she did was just increase the sales of pony beads and letter beads, and that elastic.
Speaker 1: Bead industry is booming. And that is helping Biden economy.
Speaker 8: Exactly, so shout out to. But also what I don't understand is like we've given Taylor Swift all this credit for boosting the economy when her and Beyonce had toured simultaneously right, and people were breaking the neck literally not paying rent to go see both of them. So I'm just like, it's not only that she's gonna no, she's not gonna swam election with the problem is that people are so disengaged that not enough people are going to vote. And what the Republican Party is very good at is getting their constituents out to vote. Yeah, Democrats aren't paying enough attention. Also, they don't have enough money. The Republican Party sits on two hundred million dollars, the Democratic Party sits on twenty million dollars.
Speaker 5: The way Laura Trump was talking, She's like, if I am at the RNC, like, put me there. I'm putting every Sea said quote, every single penny of RNC funds will be go to his election. It's like, you mean in legal fees. I think that's what we're really talking here, because that's how so much of his pack money just went to his legal fees well, which.
Speaker 8: Is listen, this is why when white people have the nerve to look at black people or people of color and go, well, how do we You can't ask us how to do anything. Y'all know exactly how this works. I'm very I'm very exhausted by the white person who doesn't understand how America works, right, or the man who doesn't understand while women are going through stop it. Quit playing in my face. If you're playing with me, at least it'd be a board and dice out. Stop playing with me. There's no video game console on right now, sitting in the living room meeting nachos, So stop playing with me, you understand. So I'm just like one. America is not about freedom. America's about money. The day that everybody can acknowledge that America is a business, it started as colonialism and conalization.
Speaker 4: Was a business.
Speaker 8: The colonies were a business. So ASCU people was like, you know what they be not being real nice to us in England, We might want to go somewhere else. That was a couple folks on a couple of boats. The rest of these bastards, the entire Western hemisphere was a business.
Speaker 4: Right that the British and.
Speaker 8: The Spanish took over because the fact that Americans do not acknowledge that most of the countries below US speak Spanish is insane.
Speaker 4: Or even know what country. Most people don't even know what North America is.
Speaker 8: You know, Mexico's in Central America.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 8: You never heard of NATO, That's what you just told me. So it's America is a business. Stop looking for freedom and start paying attention to the money. All of this has always been about money. America does not care about your freedom. All of the freedom shit is a smoke screen, is a lie. That's what The reason that you were able to get the Civil Rights Act to pass is one Kennedy was assassinated two. Montgomery bus boycott took eighteen months. It wasn't a couple of days that they wasn't on the bus. Was eighteen months. And black women organize cabs and cars to get everybody to work. And what it did was it almost bankrupted the city of Montgomery, Alabama. That's why desegregation happened because oftting of businesses. Right, It wasn't because the white people was like, we should probably get these negroes from rights. No, it's you realize how we impacted an entire city's economy, in multiple cities economies during the Civil rights movement, and they were like, Yo, these negroes messing up our business. Give them some rights or they're going to destroy us, right with just the money of it. No one felt no. It's like, so a white man looked at another white man and said, let's give these negroes rights.
Speaker 2: Right, had nothing to do.
Speaker 8: They weren't treated better, right, You cannot just get the bland food you was fighting to eat. So I'm very confused about what we think is happening right now, and I don't know why we're not acting like that. This is what it is. So, yeah, the Republican Party wants to take all this money to back Trump. All they're going to do is bankrupt themselves because all they want to do. Trump is just revenge for Obama. That's all he is. Because that's why people foam at the mouth and anger and act with Trump the way that they act, just because he says what he needs to be said. We're going to drain the swamp and get those fat cats. I'm like, why are so many cats in a swamp?
Speaker 2: You sound crazy? They're like cats. They don't want to listen. What is this?
Speaker 8: I remember Swat Cats was an interesting cartoon. Sam cats didn't exist. They don't do that.
Speaker 4: Samurai Pizza Cats another one, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: The nineties was a great time for pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly, that teenage mutant Ninja turtle pizza that was just like the the cheese on the top was like one solid liquid, like non Newtonian substance that just like kind of stretched you just fell off the dough.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, it's really how they made kids read books, is what happened. Yeah, a pizza, a personal pan pizza, right, just truly, just the open faced, grilled cheese.
Speaker 4: Sandwich with a little bit of tomato sauce, with a little bit.
Speaker 8: Of tomato sauce is really how they got kids to read in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, came through Carmen.
Speaker 1: What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 9: This is more fun?
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 8: I love love, love love. Let's go back.
Speaker 2: Capital punishment.
Speaker 9: And they hold me up. Don't get me mad?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh wow, you.
Speaker 9: Know this is that mor Moss fun. Okay, so on shows I love because of course I'm a writer too, but I love mash up words. I don't like. I'm not talking about those TikTok kind of stuff like riz and so I'm talking about mash up boards. Because right now, the word that I can't get out of my head, which I love so much is corpsical. Is anyone watching Detective It is the idea and I and I come across a couple more of these words, and I just love they make me so happy. Corpsical like the power to be able to create a ward that instantly makes your brain go.
Speaker 1: Corpse know exactly what that is.
Speaker 9: And you know exactly what it is, and it's a nonsense word. We can't by the way, I love the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you love true texts.
Speaker 10: That's a great underrated That's that's one of honestly my favorite underrated It's that's such a good one because it's something that you appreciate subconsciously. But then hearing you say that, I want to I want to keep an eye out for more more corpsicle type words.
Speaker 9: It's so fun. And then every time I hear crpsicle, I'm like, oh, I just love it.
Speaker 1: By the way, So so that you know where I'm at, I tried to write corpsicle. I wasn't quite sure how to pronounce how to spell it, and my autocorrect change it to crop circle.
Speaker 9: So you know what, it's another fantastical thing.
Speaker 2: You love science.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: I love science. Is that what you said? Yes?
Speaker 1: I love science.
Speaker 10: Science signs the m Night Shammealin movie signs that.
Speaker 1: And see class that's I think that's in another M Night Shyamalan movie where Mark Wahlberg is a science teacher and he's like where just written on the board is like, where'd the bees go?
Speaker 2: Oh, wasn't that?
Speaker 9: That wasn't science? Which one was that one?
Speaker 2: That? Oh my god? What about the bees?
Speaker 1: Though? Bro?
Speaker 2: That don't spoil it. Don't spoil it. Don't tell us where the.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a good one.
Speaker 1: True Detective Season four or yeah, season four has one of the most That corpsicle is the corp cycle to end all corpsicles.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's a bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real and if you.
Speaker 9: Like this season, look at me. I'm not doing promo for her, but I do adore her. The director of Isa Lopez right from Mexico. She has her horror movie Tigers Are Not Afraid was beautiful and fresh. You know, when you see a movie, it's not like you're not like, wow, that was so great and epica.
Speaker 8: But but when you see it and.
Speaker 9: You go, okay, that's new. Yeah, Like how hard is it to see to watch something today and be like, Okay, that's that's new. I haven't seen that. That's her and it is brilliant. So I'm not surprised.
Speaker 3: That she produced a corpsicle. Yeah, if you watch.
Speaker 9: That movie, you can see you're like, this lady's brain is different. Yeah, Miliki.
Speaker 10: Oh that only has a ninety seven percent on Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 6: That's all it happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so h happy for her my movies to watch list me too, mm hmm so good.
Speaker 9: So good by the way, ethel LOVEO lo'veo. Okay, moving on.
Speaker 1: She's a big fan, as are all great brilliant you know, directors who think different. They are huge fans of the Davies iist and will get fits fits. All right, let's take a quick break and come back and well run through news stories.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we're back, and just briefly, John Stewart came did his like first return. I didn't watch it. I writer Jam watched it was like, this is pretty I was. He was dreading it and thought it was kind of funny. Most of his opening segment was devoted to the ages of both presidential candidates, and therein lies the problem. People were like, what the fuck, dude, You're only supposed to talk about Republicans. Bro. He focused on as did we yesterday? We you know, Biden's slip up where he had called the press conference to be like I'm not you think I'm old and came on and was like throwing sick burns at Fox News and was like real revved up and was like leaving the field of play, having like done what he came to do. And then someone asked him a question about Israel, and he like went back to the podium and confused Mexico and Egypt, and people were like, oh, buddy, you were so close. But anyways, I mean he he also so he pointed out Biden's slip ups. He also said that Trump's statements during his rallies weren't a wellness check, like he was talking about both of them, but people were pissed. I think my favorite joke from it is that he took the clip of Kamala Harris being like, I assure you in closed door meetings, Biden is smart and on his game and.
Speaker 2: On top of it.
Speaker 1: And he was like, did anyone dad, Like that would be good to show to people. But anyways, people like Keith Alberman, who we were all waiting to hear what Yeah, we all knew Keith Alberman was still alive and we're waiting to hear what he thought on anything. But he came out and was like, just both sides as fraud. He's mad. Rolling Stone referred to John Stewart's both sides are equally bad approach, which doesn't seem like exactly what he's saying. I think you can be frustrated that Joe Biden doesn't seem to be the best candidate, specifically because Trump is such a terrifying prospect, which kind of is where I'm sitting at the moment. So yeah, yeah, how are you guys feeling feeling good about our options?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Weirdly, Yeah, it's like this is like kind of the first time I was like, because I feel like the previous incarnation of Daily Show John Stewart would not really ever like actually criticize is like the kind of our setter right Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: So like this feels like good ish. Actually I'm surprised.
Speaker 1: Im more in line with where I think people's mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that, you know, I mean, ultimately, John Stewart's a comedian and his jobs be funny, but he's also put himself in this really interesting media criticism and analys role. Yeah, jokes to criticize the media. And you know, I think that Biden and Trump are the presidential candidates who look and sound old as fuck. Don't get mad at John Stewart for pointing it out, like you know, get mad at Biden's campaign team for letting me be presented in that way.
Speaker 1: Or get excited about R. FK. Junior, who we are on this podcast.
Speaker 7: If you if you read between the lines, you could really tell which direction of this pot is which where Jack is going slightly read between anti vacs really really, I have put COVID in scare quotes multiple time and did say I'm excited about our kid Junior.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're picking up the tiny little bread cone from red Comb, that's what when I'm out on macros and I'm so excited.
Speaker 6: Look, do I love RFK Junior because he probably knows what a macro is?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Is that what I based my presidential candidate votes on?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: Also, yeah, I will say, Actually, Joejo, I think he just said I I don't know if I agree that. Like, in the job of host of the Daily Show, John Stewart is a comedian, well.
Speaker 6: Okay, well it's on Comedy Central. It's like, yeah, theoretically he's supposed to be doing I know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 7: I just think it's like, I don't think the show would do well if he was just doing jokes. Like most of the bits that do well with their audience are, like I think, unfortunately, not jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It is so weird, Like, I, you know, I went to school for journalism and I graduated from like the Edward Armureau College Communication, and it's like, so, I like, I really respect journalism. And it's so weird to me that he's kind of found himself John Stewart in this position where he's kind of one of the most respected journalists in the country, and he's like he's not a journalist.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, and there's the problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's like it's sort of a and like he's he's the person where you know, I think on his on his Apple TV show, there was this expectation of like finally he's gonna do hard hitting interviews, and it's like, yeah, it's we're putting so much on John Stuart's shoulders.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, well really yeah, it's that part is the biggest barber to me.
Speaker 2: I'm just like this, this is just none of this should exist in this way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we should have good like television journalism should be better, like what And part of the problem is just like it's like the twenty four hour news cycle, there is just this need to fill time with opinion more than like actual news. And it's like if you watch, like you know, just any of the twenty four hour news channels, it's like ninety percent of their programming is just like a panel of like experts or whatever just kind of riffing on what they're hearing about, as opposed to like actual like research the thing journalism, and uh yeah, I don't know. It's like it's I'm excited that John Stewart's back, like I thought he did, you know, a good job, and it's first episode back, but it is such a bummer that like there is this feeling of like, oh, finally real news can come back on Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I didn't realize Comedy Central was still a channel, to.
Speaker 2: Be honest, I did. I legitimately.
Speaker 7: Also was like I was like, I guess I would have heard had Daily Show been canceled, But the big announcement that he was coming back, I was like, oh god.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like it was it was a weird, like, you know, it was this weird feeling of like, you know, ultimately, I'm a big proponent of like giving new people a shot and you know, bringing in like you know, psc voices or words for marginalized communities to hold those positions. But like, I don't know, I do think that John's where like he like he's basically he said that he's only going to come back until I think the election. So it does feel like he's kind of back to like a really specific purpose and he's not going to stick around forever. And a lot of his jokes even were just like I'm in my sixties. It's weird, I'm back, Like yeah, so he gets it right.
Speaker 1: Well, It'll be interesting to see what he has to say in his next appearance, because uh, He's not going to have Joe Biden to beat up on for being old. I'll tell you that much, because Joe Biden has proven he young. He joined TikTok. He's his campaign has entered. It's Steve Buscemi holding a skateboard phase and they joined TikTok. He posted a video on Super Bowl Sunday answering questions that included which team he was rooting for and which candidate he supports for president, which feels like they were trying to like fuck him up. His grant kids were trying to confuse him. But the video was posted along with the message lowell, hey guys, which is just completely impossible to imagine Joe Biden ever saying.
Speaker 6: Do you think that there was an unused take on that who are you gonna vote for?
Speaker 2: For President? Biden and Trump question re said.
Speaker 6: Trump, fuck.
Speaker 1: Guys, guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a shooter. I think it's really funny. How like, I feel like the Biden campaign has gone through the process of I think every stand up comedian of like, oh, I'm not going to start a TikTok. TikTok's dumb, and then after a couple of years, maybe I will start a TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yes, like he for years has been repeatedly stating he would not be joining TikTok during the campaign, which is just like such a funny statement to make in the first place, that like he felt the need to be like, no, guys, I know what you're saying. I'm not gonna start. I'm not gonna doin TikTok.
Speaker 2: I know what everybody's waiting for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'd never that thought never crossed my mind.
Speaker 2: Oh god, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I gotta say one of my favorite TikTok formats is just stuff getting smashed. Like there's this video of like two toilets hanging from ropes swung at each other like pendulums and they hit each other explode. If the Biden campaign leaned into that type of TikTok idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean just on the like things from the White House getting like which one's going to survive.
Speaker 6: It's like the Lincoln desk and the statue of Andrew Jackson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to imagine you.
Speaker 7: Got has to be pissed about this happening, because this is like they're they're cooling, their app is done, Like this is just the now we're just counted down the days to when TikTok is over right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It also doesn't help that if you watch the video, it looks like Joe Biden's in a hospital waiting room.
Speaker 1: It really does. Where the fuck is he? That's a really good point. Like the art on the walls is in the last in the waiting room of the last hospital. Is that like gets straight up is a hospital waiting room? He's wearing old guy khakis.
Speaker 7: Do you know what I I would actually bet it is, which probably has the safe decor as a hospital waiting room. Is like a boomer internet consultancy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think that's I think that that's that to me is a little bit of the issue with like I totally get you know, Biden starting a TikTok. Yeah, there's you know, huge zoomer audience there, Like it makes sense. But I think that this really feels like a TikTok that was like pitched by a twenty year old to like a boomer social media executive and like they tried to kind of meet in the middle, and it just like does it just feels like this weird TikTok uncanny valley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, having him show up with the where wall. Hey guys, is so funny to me for some reason. Yeah, it's like is that him talking him being like, well, hey guys, I'm so random, right, Yeah, I'm so random?
Speaker 4: Blurg.
Speaker 7: Also, I mean, like, are you really going to sign on to the fucking social media network that's mostly right now known for calling you a war criminal? Like I think you gave up on the zoomer vote a while ago, dog, and yeah, this is gonna this is not going to bridge that gap.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be all that red in on the war criminal stuff, because he did following the Super Bowl drop that meme, that dank Brandon dark Brandon meme on our ass where he was like just like we drew it up with a picture of him, you know, dark Brandon eyes glowing. And unfortunately it was also after Israeli airstrikes reportedly target getting houses and mosques killed dozens of people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like, wow, real dark dark Brandon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, so that is how he So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I mean it's just perfect time.
Speaker 2: We didn't have to drag this into podcasts at least fun time.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's it is just wild, like this attempt to join in the fun, like make his campaign fun at this time, Like it's just I don't think it's gonna be as easy as they're hoping. Yeah, would.
Speaker 6: I think that's so much of what does well on social media. It's just like, you know, you need to be genuine, you need to feel like you're real in some way. And it feels like the Biden campaign isn't this weird kind of trying to have their keyk and eat it too middle ground where they're trying to kind of memify and freshen up Biden, But when it gets down to it, he's still an eighty two year old politician. Sure, And you know it just comes across as very like, hey, look, everybody, Grandpa's rapping, Like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, it would genuinely be a thousand times better if he was just wrapping, just rapp, dude, wrapping.
Speaker 6: I'm the president and I'm here to say yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah. So in twenty twenty, the campaign, some say sweatily campaigned and animal crossing and through celebrities on cameo U and people are comparing that to this. I'm just going to say, twenty twenty, let me think who won that election. Who won that election? Yeah, that's right, he won. They don't know if animals crossing saved us from four more years of Trump.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm sorry, you're the character of Jack O'Brien says Trump won that election.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, that's right, I remember.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you said again, yeah, yeah, when you said Biden won the election, you were definitely doing the jack off like yeah quotes, oh yeah, won the election.
Speaker 1: Every by the way, every time I say president Biden, and I think the jack off ham mooscher motion is implied president.
Speaker 2: But that's that's where me and the let's go Brandon people really intersect.
Speaker 7: It's like, yeah, I also think that.
Speaker 2: For the opposite reasons. But I do think that.
Speaker 6: That is also so funny to me that like Let's go Brandon was you know, I feel like treated as this like epic liberal dunk when it's like I also think Joe Biden's not great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Also, there was a song that played on the radio called fuck Donald Trump. So take this Ned Flanders, bullshit my face, Like what are you talking about? That's your old good one, guys.
Speaker 1: Let's go on. And it's like actually a reference to someone saying fuck Biden.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so you're you're okay with cursing in public.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's also people are pointing out there's a whole quite of like the US government is really politicizing TikTok and like the like whether it should be allowed and whether it's a security risk. And he like straight up banned most federal government devices from using TikTok in twenty twenty two due to bipartisan security concerns.
Speaker 7: So do you think the Biden account password is the same as like his Skiff password, Like he the band could only memorize so many passwords. Yeah, I just think there's a high chance it's just Joe Biden in all lowercase.
Speaker 1: But nobody would ever think to put it all lowercase jack. Yeah, I don't know, like to security around his I guess I would say it would be a nightmare if he actually used technology himself.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they were.
Speaker 1: The thing that his administration is saying is that actually this is like, we use a device that is only for posting on Joe Biden's TikTok. So we're good here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's locked in like a glass case.
Speaker 7: Uh, the sandbox, firewalled TikTok Presidential TikTok machine.
Speaker 6: Back to the John Stewart Daily Show thing. Something that I do appreciate about what he was saying is like he was basically saying, you know exactly you brought it up earlier of like, oh, if he's really energetic in meeting, show us that like he's giving advice to the Biden campaign. Yeah, And it's like that feels like good. You know, it's like both presidential candidates are old as fuck, Like you know, I totally get it, but it's like, at least let's pretend that they're like still active, you know, like that's your I feel like that's your job is like you know, a PR person or a press person or you know, a media person or whatever, is to like at least make the messaging healpoble so that I don't have to pretend that he's well with it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I go.
Speaker 2: The other side of this, though, is like, you know, we live through puppet Ronald Reagan dementia in office.
Speaker 7: We just go full warhammer forty K with this stuff, and either of these two guys, we just acknowledge that it's a cadre of advisors and you know whatever who's doing stuff and we just put them on a fucking golden throne when they win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Make sure they eat some slim gyms so they're well preserved.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, crackling with psychic energy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you when you become president, you're just America's trophy for four years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know what, you should be put inside of the Lincoln Monument.
Speaker 6: Wait on that giant, big stone chair.
Speaker 7: No, no, inside of it, Like you're sitting in the same way, but you're just sort of like each each one is one layer smaller inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like snoke, like.
Speaker 2: A nesting doll. But presidents. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Guess that the Lincoln Monument is a mech's I.
Speaker 6: Thought you were proposing that once you stop being president, they have to hollow you out and put the new president inside.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just have to elect smaller and smaller each subsequent time.
Speaker 2: It's not the end of the world if we do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Saying, yeah.
Speaker 1: I do think a big part of our problem is that the thing you're describing is basically the monarchy in the UK. And they realized a long time ago that monarchs shouldn't have power, and like that is just like you go sit somewhere on a fancy chair and everyone is just like, oh, she's taking the dogs for a walk today, how nice. And then they're like unglamorous people nobody really gives a shit about who are actually being hired and fired from the job of, you know, running the country. And in America, it's still the same fucking person that all the all the royalty and all the ship giving is tied up with the same person who actually is supposed to have the job, and that's unhealthy.
Speaker 7: I would argue, Yeah, it's roll bad at word, we're living through it.
Speaker 2: We're living through inequences for these people.
Speaker 6: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelsey or in love. Everything's great, Yes.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I don't see what everybody's complaining about Travis and Taylor. Congratulations to everyone on living through it. It's a bad it's bad bad, it's bad. Yeah, you know, like I do feel like everybody should just acknowledge end of day, Hey, we made it through another one, fucking like the way you do and like you know, recovery programs where you're like day at a time, this ship was hard.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I thought you were talking about like being in like Trench Warship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that too, Yeah, I guess the same vibe.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: So we're still talking about Taylor Swift, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talking about how I get through the period like after she announces a new album and before the album actually dropped. Yeah, it's just like, well, I'm supposed to just get out of bed and act like this is a normal day. Sure, ridiculous, fucking ridiculous. Andrew, all right, we're gonna take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about important things like Madam Webb.
Speaker 2: Will be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back, and people need to go check out cool people who did cool stuff both of your podcasts. But there are so many great episodes of cool people who did cool stuff. There's the recent one about the Collective and by maur Germany, who like, as Nazism is rising up and you know, the economy is collapsing around them, they collectively like deliver one million illegal abortions a year as birth control as being like just so incredible and badass. And but I did want to talk about this story about the invention of the paramedics because it's a group of people, a community suffering under severe systemic racism in Pittsburgh and they come together and become the first paramedics in the history of America, maybe the world. They are the reason we have paramedics today. Like all the life saving care we expect to show up in an ambulance started with them, and it was pretty It was like I would have guessed so much longer ago, but it was like nineteen sixty eight. Yeah, yeah, and like I don't know. It's another example I've talked before about how there are two types of inventions. There's like the iPhone, which is like something that is invented through sheer, like tyranny of will, like years before the world might be ready for it, and it's like in in front of And then there are the inventions that like the world is repeatedly calling out for and like just people just keep fucking fucking it up. Like the screwdriver was invented after the screw so they were just like yeah, they like bears the screw in a chisel. They were just like whatever they said on hand, They're like, I guess this coin can kind of get it in there. And took them like fucking decades to invent the screwdriver. But the paramedics. Seems like just listening to you, like tell the story of you know it starts. You started with like people drunk driving ambulances around the Civil War.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, wait, so what what did it look like? Because I haven't listened to this episode. So what we were just just pulling up to the basically to the hospital before, like just some in the back of the car.
Speaker 2: Its like get them to the hospital.
Speaker 3: So there would be people who would go around. There be someone you could call and they would send an ambulance, and the ambulance would not be an ambulance. They would send a car. And it was different plate it was different in different places. There was no central idea of how to do it. A lot of times it was cops, and cops don't always treat different people the same. Wait, it was I've heard of this, I've heard of this. Yeah, it's crazy, I know, don't worry. It was a long time ago. And then also funeral homes were a big one. The funeral homes had a hearse and you could put a person in a hearse, so you you're like you're trying not to die of a heart attack and our hearse shows up and they're literally like there's like pedals left over from the last person, and it was just it was private services, and the other one was firefighters, and then the other one was just like purely private services where there's someone in your neighborhood you call and like John will come over and drive you to the hospital. Yeah, he's the hero of the story, and so yeah, they just this completely blew my mind too. Like if you had asked me when the paramedics were invented, I would have been like Victorian era and it was a little bit late that it took that long or literally this has always happened, and people used to do it with litters, you know, where you like carry the person or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know a picture like somebody coming out and like plugging a fire bellows into your mouth and like yeah.
Speaker 3: Well that was the other thing is that CPR is a recent invention, is the other And they were invented by by the same guy UNIV. But yeah, the thing that paramedics changed was that the person who comes to drive you the hospital performs care for you there on the street. And there was a while where people weren't into it. People were scared, especially because the first paramedic team was all black, and so at first they were in an all black neighborhood of in Pittsburgh, and it was like fine. And then eventually, like the white people in the surrounding neighborhoods were like, we'd rather paramedics came than cops. We keep dying just so yeah, yeah, and so then black people will come. But then random white racist would be like, no, please, I'd rather die of this heart attack. Just get me to the hospital, all right, no problems, all right. So now, and that's the weirdest thing about like reading about the medical profession is that that's not the attitude that even like like black doctors and black paramedics who are dealing with racist patients are like, and then we just have to do it anyway. And I'm like, y'all are made of better stuff than me.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, I'll wait.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: You know, so an important person has a heart attack on stage and a nurse goes and is delivering like CPR life saving me, and then the cops, who are the authority at this time in like getting somebody to the hospital, kick her ass out off stage and then drag this person of the hospital, I think, say they kicked her ass.
Speaker 2: A white nur. It was a white So.
Speaker 1: Wantn't you go bake a pie lady exactly? And they killed this guy by you know, because they don't know shit about them.
Speaker 2: They're interrupting the intervention, basically.
Speaker 1: Interrupting the CPR, and so this like, people are pissed. They killed a major like political figure, basically the head of Baltimore's Democratic Party at Pitty Pittsburgh Democratic Party at the time, and so yeah, yeah, so people are pissed, and they bring in this guy who had just kind of innovated CPR and was like his theory was that you could teach everyday people to do this thing that would keep people alive for a long time, much longer than they were living before. And so they trained regular people to be the paramedics, like specifically, not cops or I guess they were open to cops, and the cops were like, ah, fuck, this that's a training.
Speaker 2: We don't do this.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you know, we don't do training. But what so why do you think they went in that direction to like train people who weren't like not being like we're a traveling band of doctors. Was it just like doctors were in short supply.
Speaker 3: It was a couple different things. One is that they had this idea for this job paramedics, and they were like, who can we get to do this job? Where it is going to take? Like I don't remember the number of hours, an awful lot of hours of training, like an awfully long intensive thing. We have no idea how financially feasible it will be. We have no idea whether or not this job will exist when you finish all of this training. Who was willing to do that?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And so it was not the doctors. And then also yeah, like the I'm absolute shit remembering names as soon as I've moved on to the next episode. I remember the story arcs and things. Sure I can't remember the name of the CPR guy, but he's white, the stanger. Oh that sounds right, but I really don't remember. I remember a lot about his backstory. Grew up in the Nazi controlled asilahoven.
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: And so he also his thing is believing that we need to stop some of the gatekeeping around medical stuff. We still need to train people, and people need to be highly trained. But he was like, I believe we can train regular people. So that was like partly his crusade around it. It was partly the police unions were blocking cops getting training, and it was partly that the group that stepped up in order to say, hey, we're going to do this was a not really a mutual aid group, but a black empowerment group that taught entrepreneurship within this neighborhood and and did like stuff like drive around the food van and sell food out of the back to break the food desert. And they were like, well, we can tear it. We have some organizational ideas, and so it was coming out of the civil rights movement also, so it was kind of specific parts of black civil rights stuff, meeting hey, how do we destroy the gatekeeping of the medical industry, and just like and then even then they had trouble getting people to come to these trainings, right, and so they were like kind of just rounding people up on the street. So the first people, the first paramedics, were not just black folks who were impoverished systemically from that reason, but it was also a lot of felons. It was some people who didn't have any like stable places to live, a lot of people who are dealing with unemployment, vets with serious PTSD coming back from the Vietnam War. It was like it was like the fuck ups, you know, and they were like, well, we're not the fuck ups. We're actually really awesome and are doing all this amazing work, which is part of why it would make such a fucking killer movie. And then there was even the part like even at one point, in order to get city funding, they were like, sorry, you need to have a white person, and so they were like, like, just one, and so they found a guy who had been the token white soldier in a black unit in Vietnam and we're like, hey, can you be our token white person. He was like sick, Yeah, no, totally, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Oh hell.
Speaker 3: And so you even have, you know, from a Hollywood point of view where you need that, they even have that. So it's a perfect movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, you have your new trope, the magical white guy. But he just like stays in the bag and doesn't do shit. Yeah, it's like it's like, what does he do? It's just amazing his whiteness, just even passively off to the side the doors that it opens.
Speaker 1: This is also something that we saw when we were talking about alternatives to policing and like this programming Eugene, Oregon that has been going since I think the early eighties. I feel like it's called like creeps or something like that. They give it the worst acronym possible. But it's like if if you need to call someone for help but you don't wants the police showing up with a gun, you have this alternative and like I remember reading a profile and the things that they're solving are just like, I don't know, this drunk guy is like having a fight with.
Speaker 5: His partners and me. It's called what is it cahots cahoots? Isn't it cahoots?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It might.
Speaker 1: I think it had a different name for un but I don't it creeps. As Nixon's like committee to re elect the president, it was something like more sinister though, but anyways, like they would just like give somebody a ride, you know, it's just like really like community based, like oh, I actually know that guy, or I know his cousin. I'm gonna have his cousin come give him a ride, and like you end up seeing this is what is useful about the Freedom House people being the people who are serving this community is like you know, I think Margaret in the episode you talked about if one's odeing, they probably know who dealt them those drugs and can like go talk to that dealer and like find out what they took. You know, it's like they are plugged into the community. So you're just like paying for somebody within the community who knows people to go in and do the very basic, you know, work of also incredibly complicated and important work of like life saving technology or life saving medical care, but also just having that context and it being someone that like people are comfortable with and not somebody who's pointing a gun at you. It is so important and just like feels like this could be spread applied to like so many other places, right like in the modern world where we're seeing it, where we still have this crisis of the place to call when somebody's having mental health crisis or you know a lot of different problems is the fucking police.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know, no, I mean, it just makes sense to me, and especially when a lot of stuff that puts people in dangerous criminalized, you know, you know, when when you're dealing with someone who hasn't who's odeane. Oh and then just to throw in that also the same guy whose name I can't remember, was I think the first person to administer narkan or like, yeah, use narcan not just as a way to pull people out of anesesia, but also to pull people out of overdosing. But yeah, like if you're if someone's overdosing, you call the cops. You don't know whether you say that person's life or.
Speaker 2: Killed them, right, is it? Doctor Peter Saphar Again, I.
Speaker 3: Literally it's just names go in and out of my head.
Speaker 2: It's awful.
Speaker 3: I need to.
Speaker 5: Have a script in front of me in order or like looking and I'm like there, it's like there's like three doctors that made invented CP like there were or in Jude.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's Peter Saffhar.
Speaker 1: He born in Vienna, Austria, and yeah, yeah ended up becoming the yeah did and he created CPR.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he did all this like tricksy stuff to avoid serving in the Nazi army.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He like like also almost killed himself with medical issues in order to be medically exempt from serving in the Nazi army. Yeah, he's just the cool guy. And he also like usually I do these episodes about like great men in history and they turn out to be like awful to the women in their lives.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, total wife guy Yeah, great wife guys.
Speaker 3: Energy yeah he I.
Speaker 2: Mean not just energy.
Speaker 1: They were like ballroom wall champions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like included her in his plans and like, I mean I don't have like I haven't read her. I've read some quotes from her, right sure, but like compared to a lot of the people that I end up researching in history, where they're like so dedicated to the cause that they treat everyone in their lives, especially the women and who are close to them in their lives like terribly, this man is not an example of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So they're out there, they're part of the community. They're the people to like get the paddles out and go clear like on the street. Like they're you know, they are like breaking all this new ground. A racist mayor comes in, pushes them out, starts trying to replace them with cops, like just stops like cuts their funding, keeps cutting their funding. It's like this again, just like a movie scene that is incredible that Hollywood is sleeping on it. During this period, Freedom House like gets their hands on a police scanner and start racing the police to get there to save people because the police, the police are taking their sweet ass times, so they're like listening to when there is a medical emergency and then like racing there to help people before the cops can show up. But just an amazing story of like, you know, people from the community, like the medical power to the people, like just all these you know, all these really cool ways that this community came together against all odds, and like the fact that that's not the story we tell. Instead, the story we tell is like fucking an entire genre's worth of Westerns, right, like fucking so frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, yeah, that's important connecting those two things. That was well done.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, right, I think it's just up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably important to like even think of it in that context of just sort of like you know, being fed this these kinds of stories over and over again, and it's like, you know, to your point market, it's like you can almost manifest it through like the repetition of that kind of like story arc Whereas like we're now, I think a lot of people are feeling like we need to like transition to something different, something that feels more connected, something that feels more humane and actually treats people with dignity. And yeah, and all these stories have been like in a way buried or whether that's intentionally or because they don't think it sells tickets or whatever, you know, we're seeing it like that's actually our impulse is to just is to invent and iterate and do something that is actually for a communal benefit rather than like, here's a story of the guy who got so pissed off he beat up everyone in town and then races or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's so many movies.
Speaker 1: Catline fucking like John Wick, nobody beat up everybody in town. This guy so pissed, gets so pissed that you just like beat up everybody in town.
Speaker 5: Like all those Bowl films are like that too, Or it's just like Jesus Christ pissed off guy on a mission.
Speaker 3: Because every every American man is told that that's in his heart and he could do that if he had to. You're like, not every man can beat up every other man. That is clearly not true. That is not how mad it works.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm really.
Speaker 5: Good at going hell, yeah, help me.
Speaker 6: I think most men are because of patriarchy to be.
Speaker 5: Like and then someone fixed it for me, and then I told myself, I did it all myself.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it. For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, please like and review the show. If you like, the show means the world of Miles. He needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to him Monday.
Speaker 2: By the Bands,