Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast. I have never been to the Briggs. That's true from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's around the NFL. I am Dan Hansis I got heroes here? Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler and Mark What.
Speaker 2: Day is it?
Speaker 3: When today it's Wednesday? As far as I know, thank you.
Speaker 1: That means also with us is the wiki lead, the cerebral, the empathetic, the photogenic, founding member of the ten fifty one Club, Colleen.
Speaker 4: Wolf Hello, Hello, the ten fifty one Club is the Oh hey, hold on a second, Sean's the queen.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, what happens? He's got one and a half dumbs folks.
Speaker 2: That's through me.
Speaker 1: First was that the tropeler going off at the same time as the Colleen Wolfeme.
Speaker 2: We're having a soundboard problem.
Speaker 5: So I'm open folders and things flow down on the music list.
Speaker 2: But here let me give her a clean one. Sorry, guys, you know I didn't hate it.
Speaker 1: Here you go, kind of fun Jolie. There you go, Sorry, guys, Shownie's the queen. Queen. She is the queen of NFL meeting.
Speaker 6: There we go.
Speaker 4: So the ten fifty one Club is right now, Dan and I are in this club because that is the time that we arrive for the pod at the same exact moment in the parking garage.
Speaker 1: Separate, but simultaneously our cars happened now maybe three times, so.
Speaker 2: Ten to fifty one.
Speaker 1: Club is howld ground, and I invite anyone to join us. It is. There's a bit of a rush, like when I see your car, I'm like, oh, oh yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Colleen comes straight here and then you so she's still early.
Speaker 1: Swampy, the saying she comes straight here, this swampy deer. Sir, I believe we're starting at eleven twenty five. I was sitting here for twenty three minutes before we start there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you got here eleven one, right on.
Speaker 2: That's what being late today. Eleven five start. That's on you.
Speaker 1: No, there's lots of technical issues.
Speaker 2: It's okay, I'll take it. It's okay.
Speaker 6: You want to be part of the come on in.
Speaker 1: Not a problem that that would be a problem, be an issue. We got a lot to get to today. Calleen the face of NFL Networks coverage of Thursday night football. We'll break down the game that starts Week thirteen, Seahawks Cowboys. That's a good one the weekly Game. We also have a segment now that we are heading marked toward the home stretch of the regular season. Here's what matters down the stretch here, No Trent going to help.
Speaker 3: I mean, we really were workshopping some ideas during the week.
Speaker 1: You like you. You sent a text yesterday and I assumed you were had inhaled ayahuasca because you had so many ideas flowing from you.
Speaker 3: I was surprised that all those ideas came when they did, but I thought I'd shared them. And this includes some elements of those ideas, other elements of other people's ideas.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of Keith Richards waking up from a deep sleep, sitting up playing the riff of satisfaction into a tape recorder, and then going back to bed.
Speaker 3: You never know, it could have been very close to that. I'm a little I will say one of.
Speaker 4: All of the ideas that you had and then put it into the segment.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's my own.
Speaker 3: You like structure, and so I was trying to provide some elements structure.
Speaker 1: The segment's a little open ended, and I am just so excited to see how far Afield Colleen goes on this one.
Speaker 3: I'm really going to stick the landing.
Speaker 1: Guys, Colin's gonna be talking about the industrial movement of Germany and the nineteen.
Speaker 6: Tens or the departed. Who knows?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you saw Departy? Good job?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: I really thought I had seen it before, as it turns out did not. And great movie, guys. Do you guys know about it?
Speaker 1: Up next? Mark and I have suggested it and Johnny your husband. I feel like he's a bit of a cinophile, so this all surprised me. We want you to check out heat by Michael Mann. Okay, all right, diner scene? What else you know young Natalie Portman? While I'm in Val Kilmer. Okay, like Val Kilmer at his heighth we talking young Natalie Portman. Let's put a beautiful girls on the list.
Speaker 2: As what?
Speaker 4: All right, it's on the list. I have so much time to watch this movie.
Speaker 5: Skip skip the Zach Braft movie though, Garden State Age.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, I have seen that one at the time. Great Can I say a great sounds? Can I say it's okay for some movies just to live in the world where they absolutely we could enjoy that. We we found it deep in two thousand and four and now it's a little embarrassing, but that also that's like taking a time machine watching.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should watch Carna.
Speaker 6: Say, I don't know if I want to go back a lot of to dos now, all.
Speaker 1: Right, but first, as we promised, I am so excited for this. It's something that we've teased the pilot for a long time, including an initial pilot. Like you know how Game of Thrones had a pilot that was so bad that they threw it out and HBO spent millions and millions of dollars and then they had to reshoot the whole thing.
Speaker 2: We had a pilot of this.
Speaker 1: Until and then we even recorded it, and then we realized the sound we were using was actually months old, so we had to scrap the pilot and post. We had a scrub it. But this time the sound is fresh. It is the sound from UH Panthers owner David Tepper's press conference after the firing or Frank firing of Frank Reich. So and so yes, enjoy the pilot premiere of ATM presents Tepper be talking exciting.
Speaker 5: People really need to check out the YouTube, subscribe to our channel.
Speaker 1: We have our own channel and lean out just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Greg.
Speaker 6: So let's let's see the let's we need to see the full let's.
Speaker 1: See if my here we go. Yeah, my directions were Tepper hyphen be hyphen talking, lose the g at the apostrophe at the end. Stylized perfectly done by Eric Roberts. Very much looks like my Trapper Keeper from sixth grade.
Speaker 6: It's so good. It's very saved by the bell. I would love this T shirt.
Speaker 3: So a visual feast. Well done, Eric.
Speaker 1: All right, So to set it up once again, David Tepper has been the owner of the Panthers for what about five years now, and they have struggled mightily in that time. They've been unable to field a winning team. In fact, only my New York Jets have a worse record than the Panthers since David Tepper took over. That's insane, by the way, and he fired Frank Reich after eleven games. That's the earliest the first year coach has been dismissed in over forty years, I believe. So you knew this press conference, it was almost it's kismet. Actually, if you think about it. The debut episode of Tepper be talking, it had to be big, and I mean, what's bigger than this when Tepper is kind of under siege and the Panthers are being examined in a way that is probably uncomfortable for everyone involved. So mister Tepper took to the microphone and let's play some of what he said, starting with Tepper explaining his decision making on why he dismissed Reich and why he's fired three head coaches and two MLS coaches in the last few years.
Speaker 7: Look, you know, well, as I said, there are reasons for each individual situation. I think you guys upon your only flat into looking what happened to the season? Can you know can understand that you're around town for those that are around town, and you can know the reasons.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not.
Speaker 7: Going to get into that, particularly into those particulars, but I have I do have patience. I'm just not My reputation away from this game is one for extreet patience. You know, there's no reason why that doesn't. You know, come here too, it does now that patience comes with good performance and things that you want to see progress be made in different aspects.
Speaker 1: Okay, my reputation away from the game is extreme patience.
Speaker 6: Thoughts That caught me when I was listening live.
Speaker 4: It was the It completely jumped out, and it's like, okay, cool, but like that doesn't matter. Nobody cares about your reputation away from this. We're talking about your reputation right now in the league, and it's not of patience.
Speaker 5: Well, plus, I don't know, I don't know if that to be true, and I'm not going to do the work to find out if it is true. But based on the way he's positioned his football takes.
Speaker 1: A lot of it.
Speaker 5: You can find some some haziness too, like the fact that like I am patient, but you're not. You're not patient yet we heard these reports he didn't want to do this, but you did want to do it.
Speaker 1: You did it.
Speaker 5: And I don't know what's happening around town. What was he talking about about? He said, the people that are walking around town. Know, if I had to guess, I'm I think he's talking about the people, the fans, the chirping, the what he hears around town.
Speaker 1: Maybe the calumnists, right, And if.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like, if you're listening to the people around town, what's what's the quote?
Speaker 1: You know, you're going to become one of them if you're a head coach.
Speaker 3: I think it wasn't patient in the sense, in a lot of senses, because there was Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer, who had been critical of Tepper in writing before all this went down, was not allowed to ask a question at this press conference where he's telling us how level headed it he is. There is The Ringer as a piece from SIATI.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, Scott Fowler the headline of the article he wrote the date when he was fired, which was Panthers owner David Tepper fired another head coach, he should fire himself. And so that is like the number one columnist in town. And then they didn't let it, and you're muzzled.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's pretty on the nose, and I think that shows you don't kind of get Maybe that works in your hedge fund magazine if someone's you know, on a reporter in that world, but it doesn't work here. And Nordra prince i Otta of The Ringer found this twenty ten profile of Tepper where he was described in quotes as loud and profane, and then this other thing that if he goes, the knee jerkism is real if he goes and is confronted with anything he doesn't like. If someone isn't asked, he said, Tepper like a waiter at a restaurant. I think I could just buy this place and fire that guy. So you can't tell us that in your other world you have all this patience and you're bringing it here. There are factoids and anecdotes that suggest not.
Speaker 4: Sure ten fifty one club that is what he is kind of screaming there. But I will say based on his line about being patient. Outside of the NFL, there have been plenty of owners that have gone on the record and done interviews like Robert Kraft has done it and Arthur Blank has done it as well, talking about how the NFL being an owner is so different than any other business that they've ever been involved in, and it like to get the money to get that to the point where you can own a team. It's just very, very different and you have to adapt to it, and it's like nothing that they've ever done.
Speaker 5: Before, right, because half of them are going to be losers every year, right by definition, not in terms of making money. You can be the dumbest business owner ever, and you will be successful owning your NFL team. It will always raise in value, like there is no way to lose money. So it's a very strange dichotomy.
Speaker 1: I think it takes a lot of owners, maybe all owners, a few years to kind of settle in. So I just want to say, like the idea that they've struggled so far doesn't mean they're struggle forever. Tepper leading the way, but you have to obviously learn from what's happening here, and we're gonna see if they do. I have another sound. Cal have a lot of conversation around Bryce Young. Of course, with the CJ. Straud a sensation down in Houston and the reports out there, the people talking around town, perhaps that it was Frank Reich's desire to have CJ. Stroud with the first overall pick, and in general it was Tepper's decision to pound the table and say, bring me the Alabama star Bryce Young, who has struggled mightily in his first year. Here is David Tepper on that rumor in his mind.
Speaker 7: Now, look, everything that's right and everything that's wrong here, but ultimately.
Speaker 6: It is my fault.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have the final say.
Speaker 7: But as far as those decisions, whether it's Frank Wright or it's Bryce Young, those decisions were made, and in the case Bryce, it was almost I believe it was unionist's decision. And the coaches and then the scouts have very strong opinions.
Speaker 3: At the corn See every press conference from here on out needs to have this like an underbed of music like this. It adds a real vibrancy to it.
Speaker 5: I think only it only makes sense for tempor to be talking. This is just the perfect instrument for this content.
Speaker 4: I need to know what was of this like when you were working with Eric to put this together.
Speaker 6: What did you tell him the type of music that you wanted.
Speaker 1: I was thinking of like when the Gang and Saved by the Bell like went into the Max ah okay, you know, and that kind of it's exciting to see, you know, Zach and Slater and Kelly and Lisa and.
Speaker 2: Screech all together.
Speaker 1: But when you have that that music underneath, and then Max the magician rules and the waiter, which, by the way, easy with the tricks and give me yes.
Speaker 4: Max, it's a business by the whole place, and fire him right exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a little more exciting with the music underneath, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I think it totally fits tonally, uh, and these rumors, but people kind of like throw this out there, the rumors that he like. It was a very specific reporter, Adam Schefter, that said David Tepper loves Bryce Young and Frank Reich like CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 1: And that was in March.
Speaker 5: So I keep hearing this that it's just like thrown it out, like, oh, it's whispers, But it was like it was Adam Schefter, Yeah, he was the one that reported it. It was last March that Reich wanted Stratt.
Speaker 3: We needed Greg at this press conference.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't have been allowed to ask a question.
Speaker 5: No, no, And there was a lot there that some other Carolina journalists noted, just optics wise and everything. They kept the entire front row reserved for people that didn't end up taking the seat for I don't know who it was for. Only one person sat there, and so to all the reporters were in the second row.
Speaker 1: I just found that internal.
Speaker 5: They were all in the second row and they almost cut it off after like nine minutes. He answered one more question that he talked for We're straight minutes on it. It was this Price Young topic, and and yeah, Scott Fowler and many of the other key journalists that cover the team, where.
Speaker 1: You know what they could have done, because if they said over fifteen minutes, that's what this is gonna be, which is, by the way, fourteen minutes is very short for a press conference of this magnitude.
Speaker 2: You know, in the combine.
Speaker 1: The most annoying thing ever is when you want to get you know, the GMS and the coaches speak for this finite amount of time, and then some bonehead is right in the feature about the offensive line through the years or something, yeah, and it's like time for one more for coach, and it's like, oh, yeah, how is blocking in your mind in the seventies different than the two thousands? And everyone in the gang bang just kind of like they roll their eyes and shrugged their shoulders, like you just rounded it for everybody. Yeah, next level thinking, if I was an old guard owner, I would just plan a couple of the bozos in there to just fill up all the time asking about you know, various history questions pertaining to the NFL. It's a idea anyway, one more this is about his future or something.
Speaker 2: Here we go, you know, I.
Speaker 7: Would like to have somebody here for twenty thirty years. I'd like to have somebody that would say eulogy at my funeral.
Speaker 1: Won thirty years.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe it's forty years. I hope.
Speaker 1: That was sing. He wants to find a coach, he wants to find a life partner in football.
Speaker 3: A lifer.
Speaker 5: Well, he was a minority owner with the Steelers, and people have pointed out, you know how David Tepper has fired and had more head coaches in his five years than the Steelers had since like World War Two.
Speaker 3: By the way, Like that Charlotte Football Club, I mean they're antreme on the other side, yeah the way, but like, yeah, that Charlotte Football Club has, like the soccer team has fired four head coaches in the past eighteen months. The most recent one from what I read, actually went to the postseason.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I mean, I think there's an argument to say that Frank Wright needed to go, Like it was it the MLS. No, no, no, just gone. I don't have a huge problem with moving on from this experience. And like it's in another peril universe. Had they taken Stroud and you got this version of Stroud which is also a question mark under Frank Raig. No one's gone, probably, but it's like there is a mix of impatience and also like I kind of get where he's coming from. If you're an owner that has picked the wrong coach number of times and you've never found a quarterback, you're gonna go through this darkness, right.
Speaker 5: But there's no there's no process, there's no plan. He seems to be in charge. The two year contract they give to Teddy Bridgewater, remember that guaranteed money. That was kind of crazy. Then they were spinning out and he's like, this isn't gonna work. Let's go get Sam Darnold and give up a second and a fourth first Sam dart Like six games of that, it's like, oh my god, this isn't gonna work. Let's try to get Matthew Stafford. Matthew Stafford is like, no, thank you. They'll forget about Baker. So then they bring in Baker maybe and they're like, this isn't gonna work, and it just you know, let's go get Bryce Young.
Speaker 4: It just had the most success with them, and that's because they were running the ball and like that's how their team was built to be successful, and then they decided no, no, no, we're gonna get rid of Steve Wolkes, and we're also not gonna run the ball.
Speaker 5: There was a very human quote in the Albert Brier story about him from a former Panther Stafford, which, like it seems obvious enough. His thing is, the minute it gets bad, it's gonna get worse, so we better try something else.
Speaker 1: He's a hedge fun guy. That's what hedge fund guys do.
Speaker 5: The second something stops earning money, they take their money out of it, take the profit, and move on to something else. So it's like the second any of these decisions start going bad and they having bad decidans, he's like, all right, let's burn it, let's go, and like that just leads to us more and more problems.
Speaker 2: We weren't very good at podcasting when we started.
Speaker 3: No, if you go back and listen to those first few episodes, like we speak really wildly and with hesitancy, not greg Greg Roldan. You know, he's a talker about like like Dan and I are just like.
Speaker 1: Is that true? I don't think that's true. There we all you came out of the Birth Canal talking Gregory.
Speaker 3: To check the Sick the podcast.
Speaker 1: Rosie be Honking, that's the next that's our next spin off. So the ATN I was a good I think that was a good pilot up. I think that one's gonna get picked up.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a reverse flash Point because Temper maybe, you know, yes, maybe he's rash and maybe he acted too quickly, but he also understood that this was gonna line up, yeah in a kids met fashion with this segment one way or another.
Speaker 2: So you know, flashpoint focus is a hit. Temper be talking.
Speaker 6: Is the branding is Remember.
Speaker 1: When Friends first hit, like in the ninety four and it was like, oh my god, this is gonna be We've got something here. We got something here immediately. Well that's us. We could have a whole network of shows. We just had to put our mind to it. Like ambition and Empire ambition. The only thing stopping us is a lack of ambition. At this point, it's the idea is, well, that's accurate, they're unbelievable. Let's take a break, and when we come back, we're gonna talk about what matters. No promises on this seg though at all, No promises on what matters down the stretch in the NFL. That is perfect.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I loved it.
Speaker 2: All Right, we are back.
Speaker 1: Welcome We need to do this for more segments. I think that just improved, So welcome back. So here's what matters. The regular season is over, I believe on January seventh on and that means every team has scounting yeah, either five or six games remaining on their schedule. And let's talk about as we kind of project towards the postseason, what are the things to really be kind of turning your focus to and what to keep an eye on in these final week And I'll get this one going because it does connect with one of the Thursday night football combatants.
Speaker 2: So let's start it here.
Speaker 1: I think how the Dallas Cowboys close this regular season is mammoth and in terms of how we think of them in terms of what their chances are of actually doing something that they haven't done in over a quarter century, which is get to the NFC Title.
Speaker 2: Game and even win it.
Speaker 1: So they have to close, and we're gonna get to a Seahawks at home, Eagles at home at Buffalo. I don't know what state Buffalo will be in by then, but it's not gonna be an easy game at Miami home Detroit at Washington. Now, how do the Cowboys get through that gauntlet and go into the playoffs? Because are they gonna if they're a thirteen and four right now, what are they the eight and three? I believe yeah, if they finish thirteen and four or fourteen and three and the Juggernaut a potential number one seed, or they could be eleven and six or even ten and seven and be a wildcard team with a spotty resume against NFL elites, because that will have mean that they didn't fare too well in this final stretch. And I think at that point, if that's the version mark, it's going to be back to the old cesslerism where we're kind of just like, I don't know, we've seen you stub your toe too many times against big time teams this year to think it's going to be different in the playoffs. But on the flip side, the way they're playing right now, and I know, you know, there are elements of football Twitter, smart Twitter, I call it. They've always had an infatuation with Dak and right now you're seeing a lot of people going nuts again about how incredible Prescott has been and how he's different and better than ever and the data backs that up the past six weeks. Can he keep that up now when the schedule tightens up? Is he going to be an MVP player when it counts the most, including when we get to January? But for now, I'm kind of focusitting on these last six games. What version of the Dallas Cowboys do we get?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no team like this in the NFL, And it's it's kind of this continuing optics situation for Dallas where like there's two things happening. There's like, wait, Duk Prescott very likely could be the MVP, but it's like the other people need to see him beat the Eagles, not come close against the Eagles, and win these games. It's like it's really just how you feel about him, I mean, separate from his actual play. Like the Sessler version of doubting the Cowboys though, has been eradicated at the moment, because this feels different to me than other Cowboy barreness.
Speaker 1: It's because we haven't seen how they look at misstretch coming yet it.
Speaker 3: Is, except that they have been blowing people's doors off with like nuclear weaponry, and so it's not like they're sliding by, but the Commanders against Lessons. I've seen like all aspects of the team, including coaching, operate this well with a Dallas.
Speaker 1: But I probably we're yeah, we're all on fire. Just to the point I was making, we're all like super pumped about Dallas and their offense right now. But just as a reminder, Giants at Carolina home Panthers, those are home Commanders. Those are the three wins that have the football world like really tuned in right now. I want to see it again these next sixty.
Speaker 3: I would just say, if you if you go three, four and two and you beat some of these teams, like I think we were allowed to think differently about the Cowboys at this point, you're not gonna go six and oh.
Speaker 5: Right, if like that, if you put a normal Super Bowl champion and gave them this schedule down the stretch, especially the APT Buffalo at Miami too, they're not gonna go six and oh because it's football. Like most most great happens, it happens, it happens. They could go six and oh. But I think if they went four and two and the two losses were closer, they go certainly five and one. I mean, that would be extremely impressive. That The annoying thing I think for you is it's probably gonna land in the middle because of the Eagle schedule.
Speaker 1: I'll get to that. It's very likely, even if they beat the Eagles.
Speaker 5: That they're not going to go six and zero, and the odds are against them winning the division. They win four or five of these games, they're probably going to get that five seed. And you're right, these are better matchups Buffalo Miami. It's all exciting to watch. The defenses he's facing aren't great. I love that Dak MVP odds right now because the Seahawks they're struggling on defense, the Eagles they can't stop anyone through the air, the Bills have been mediocre, the Dolphins are playing well defensively, the Lions are one of the worst defense in the league right now, and the Commanders are one of the worst defense in the league.
Speaker 1: So I think Dak can keep it going. I am totally with you as.
Speaker 5: A team like they look like one of the best four teams in the NFL. If you're one of those, you probably win four or five of these games.
Speaker 1: But if not go three and three, do not go two and four, and if you choose to the Eagles, if you're and that's that's a key game. Obviously, that has to be at home. You either have to win that game or compete.
Speaker 2: To the Veria.
Speaker 1: No, you gotta win it. You got to win it.
Speaker 5: Enough of this losing close to the Eagles and getting swept by the Well.
Speaker 1: That'd be progress from their last superpower opponent when they lost forty two ten to the Niners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much has been made about how great they've been at home, but like you have to look at who they actually played at home, the Jets, the Patriots, the Rams, the Giants, the Commanders, like teams that have a combined record of nineteen and thirty eight. So of course they're averaging forty one points per game at home versus on the road where they lost to the Eagles, they lost to the Niners, and then they also what they played, the Giants, the Cardinals, the Panthers, the Chargers. I mean, that's a combined record of twenty nine and thirty nine, So of course they're averaging seventeen fewer points per game on the road because of those opponents. But the Cowboys will very likely be playing in the playoffs on the road, so you have to also take that into considering.
Speaker 1: Any You're right, Greg, You're right about because they went to Philly a few weeks back and they nearly won, but they got beat. You can't get swept by the Eagles and then expect me to like think something's going to change in January. So win that game, yes, when when at least four maybe five, and then I'll be like, Okay, this team's got something different this year. We shall see, we shall see. All right, Connie, you're up next.
Speaker 6: All right, So this, uh, this segment, what.
Speaker 1: U'd you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: I thought it was the December dreams that mark.
Speaker 3: What matters is an umbrella over those various other concepts. So even in our texting, Dan said, you're welcome to approach that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a fatal flaws that was thrown out there, a December dream and then also what matters?
Speaker 3: So I have no idea what December dreams even meant.
Speaker 6: I just went with December dream.
Speaker 1: The anxiety is pouring off Colleen right now, and like leaking on my shirt.
Speaker 6: I slipped a disk in my neck out.
Speaker 2: Just let it go, Connie, let it go.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, here we go, hey, you're in the trust tree.
Speaker 6: My December dream gang is this?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Wait, so after a delightful meetball parm from it, she'll ninth and fits water. The decision has been made, family members are notified, and a new jersey stitched by the Tri State area's finest. The only question left is how apoplectic Jerry Jones will be when he finds out the obvious here that Shaq Leonard has fallen in love with Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wa Ald, that thought one second before you go on, leric, you have it. I think this will help. I think it's gonna help. Not that you're off to a bad start. What but this is gonna make it great. Okay, I'll queue you up. Okay, there's a count. Okay three.
Speaker 4: You know it didn't take him long to make the decision. But since the Cowboys played the Seahawks on Thursday night and the Eagles play the Niners on Sunday, Leonard's debut probably not gonna happen until Week fourteen, when the Eagles go to Dallas to play the Cowboys in Dallas, who are.
Speaker 6: Also in the sweep stakes for Shack Leonard.
Speaker 4: Bring so listen, don't forget here that Nick Sirianni is the former Colts offensive coordinator for three years. He still has a relationship with Shaq Leonard, and it just feels like a really nice competition for these two to have before they actually play the second game, which will be huge in the NFC.
Speaker 1: I like it. So what matters is where does Shack Leonard land and what kind of impact could.
Speaker 3: He have and what better news and development for your December dream that he went to Dallas. You know, it's a nice place. You could be driven around town, you could live here in this mansion. He was like, yeah, cool, I'm gonna go to Philadelphia now exactly.
Speaker 5: And to be clear, he has not signed with either team. He met with the Eagles earlier on Wednesday as we're taping, so this segment could could potentially be out of date if he makes a decision on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I mean more anxiety.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, this isn't December nightmare.
Speaker 5: Nick Sirianni said, you know, he met with him, they talked and and we'll see. And the Eagles and Cowboys both have some issues at linebacker. I would say that might be even bigger though, uh and the Eagles have a nice history of bringing in veterans late in the season. Oh yeah, and then making a difference, and oh yeah. Sometimes they don't make a difference, but they bring them in, they give it a shot. And that's where I would go. I would make that December dream come true.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I don't think check.
Speaker 5: Lists the holiday, Greg, you're up, all right, here's what matters?
Speaker 1: The schedule?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I feel like we try to avoid schedule.
Speaker 1: We'd be smart before the season.
Speaker 5: The schedule doesn't matter. I don't need to hear your schedule analysis. Really, we're just guessing five to six weeks left in the season. It matters almost more than anything GC. I just got some scheduled nuggets. We talked to Eagles, Eagles and Cowboys that that Cowboys schedule rough. Eagles are very likely the number one seed because of their schedule, and you think, oh wow, they're on this brutal stretch here.
Speaker 1: You know, they got the forty nine ers this week.
Speaker 5: They're underdogs, and then they're okay, that's fine, and then they have the Cowboys. They can lose those two, and to me, they're still very likely the number one overall seed. They're actually future schedule overall, according to the DVOA, is better than average because they finish with at Seattle, who's not playing as well lately.
Speaker 1: That's an easy game.
Speaker 5: And then Giants, Cardinals, Giants and the forty nine ers and the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could get that tiebreaker.
Speaker 5: The forty nine ers are gonna have to win out probably for a chance to get that one seed. The Cowboys, we just mentioned their scheduled, it'd be very hard for them to win out, but they certainly would have to beat the Eagles and probably win out. So that's a nice, a nice little thing for the Eagles that really, if you split these two games, you are going to be sky high in terms of number one seed likelihood. And even if you lost the two, I would say it's better than fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Some more stuff that schedule matter. Just think about Greg one thing, our friend, Uh, why am I blanking on the kicker's name? Sorry, Jake Elliott, our friend Jake Elliott's fifty nine yarder. How much that changes things because getting that win instead of the l gives them the cushion that Greg's are. This is more just a funny nugget.
Speaker 5: Again, according to DVOA people, should check that it's now on FT and Fantasy. You gotta pay for it's worth it. It's worth it. It's a tax, right our old friend Aaron Shatz, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: It's just funny to me that the three easiest schedules in the league remaining are the Bucks, Saints, and Falcons because they're all playing each other.
Speaker 1: But it's part of it. It's just like that. It's just stupid.
Speaker 6: I try to blow up the NFC.
Speaker 2: So you did. You tried, and I was mocked.
Speaker 3: We try giggled you off the stage and now we look like.
Speaker 1: Well, she didn't really know what she was talking about the segment, but that's she did.
Speaker 5: Ye came all the way around right in another world, like you would say, maybe the NFC South could get two teams in here because they all said cheesy schedules, but they'll find a way to blow it. I think if you look at the AFC one seed, the Chiefs have the easiest schedule, remaining twenty first easiest in the league, while the Ravens have the hardest. The other three teams that are in the mix the Ravens, the Dolphins, and the Jaguars. The Ravens play the Dolphins and the Jaguars, so those are guaranteed l's for one of those teams here, and the Chiefs don't really have many difficult games or really any difficult games the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the way a winning team, I don't right.
Speaker 5: I think this Packers game is a little bit tricky, and they have an AT Chargers, but they always find a way there. Whereas I mentioned what the Ravens have, the Dolphins have, Cowboys, they have an AT Ravens, they have a Bills, the Jags they probably have the second best chance here they have an AT Browns, and then they have that Ravens game here. But man is shaping up to be Chiefs number one. And then if you look at the wild cards, the Texans are really the team that stand out as having the easiest schedule remaining. And so that's good for your Texans, Mark.
Speaker 3: I have one little scheduling you know, request too, that we've been light on the flexing, like team like the Patriots, plays three primetime games between now and the end of their hellish journey that we don't need to lay eyes on, and there are not I went through and looked at all the primetime games, and there's a couple of good ones, you know, thankfully for everyone involved, But there are some stinkers out there and some teams that were projected to still matter, and they don't like start flexing some of these games. Uh, ladies and gentlemen, can we get rid of the Patriots?
Speaker 6: On Christmas Eve? They're playing the Broncos. The Broncos are good now, but that's good.
Speaker 1: Actually it's Christmas Eve night and like, I want to spend time with my family's.
Speaker 3: It's the third game.
Speaker 1: If you want, you can even flex an NFC South game in there, and it is like I'm going to be with my family and and some and you never know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes like Packers Chiefs to me a couple of weeks ago, is like, really that it's the same night game and now that's one of the most fun games of the week. And the last one is that of all the NFC wildcard teams. And it's why you see on some of these projections that the Packers are already up to a fifty percent chance to make the playoffs. They have the easiest schedule remain and they have this tough Chiefs game, but after that they're all very winnable games.
Speaker 1: It's funny because even at this high point right now for the Packers, I still include them in this huge middle class of the NFL. It's pretty inconsistent week to week sure, and it's like, even though you're right, the schedule matters more next we have a better idea of what these teams are. I can't look at it even It's a perfect test for you, Mark, because I know we've had there's been some type of bad energy around teams that you have adopted in recent years on the show. The Texans, Okay, they seem pretty safe. They have this beautiful young quarterback. They have a really cohesive group, and they're well coached, and the schedules soft.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a good test. Mark.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not gonna do anything I can to declare publicly anything because I know what will have happen. The team will implode from the inside out.
Speaker 1: And in terms of the energy I think you're attached to them.
Speaker 3: Well, I apologize, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's maybe this is different.
Speaker 5: The last time they played in a two score game was Week four, so they're kind of a coin flip team. Even though they're fine and they have a good quarterback and any look at every single game comes down to the last play basically that they play.
Speaker 3: This is a good segue to go ahead of the team I want to talk about that. I mean, I think within the last Fortnite, we're kind of like acknowledged that we forgot they existed, but they are lodged right now as the AFC's number seventh team. It's the Cults. I think that if you look at the journey of this team that a year ago we were talking about Frank Reich melting down there and it's like, what's the future here? And I don't know if there's a it's a to me, like a top two or three impressive coaching job by Shane Steichen. You have an excuse if your other teams, like the Bengals, you lose your starting quarterback, like everything kind of goes south. The ben to me, are like two steps away from just being like an apparition. They don't even exist. We saw what happened with the Jets. Couldn't be more unfortunate. Shane Siken loses his rookie first rounder Anthony Richardson, incomes Gardner Minshew, who is a total hot and cold act. Instead what I think he's done is kept that team together. They've won a bunch of close games. You're in an AFC where the Chargers and the Bengals, like we mentioned, are fading into a false reality. And listen to this schedule for the Colts, the Titans, the Bengals, the Steelers, the Falcons, the Raiders, the Texans. You are currently right now the number seven seed lodged with the Houston Texans, same record, and these surging Broncos also at six and five, and you've got the Bills at six and six, and then it falls off a cliff. So I think the Colts have a real opportunity to remind us once again that they're not just this little project.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Jonathan Taylor surgery, like I'm sticking togery, it's a relative multiple relevant news item. Helped us not have to do a huge news SUG because I stuck the Jonathan Taylor news right in the middle of this hey new sug news seg I should say, so we've got that. I think Zach Moss though, like Zach Moss played really well surprisingly when Jonathan tailor Jonathan.
Speaker 5: It's a big hit though for my running back draft because I was thinking last week. Suddenly, suddenly Kamara Taylor Bijon was looking better than your trash teams and all the heat I was taken.
Speaker 1: Oh it's great.
Speaker 3: I have Christian McCaffrey one.
Speaker 2: This is what's fascinating about Greg. He's been tracking.
Speaker 5: I don't even remember a competitive I don't either, but I do remember that by three that I was worried about they were coming together.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is a good little group here, can you can you look up again? I'm sorry, it's like the most like third time I asked Eric to look up our running back groups. Cool, Mark, I'm with you. Do I have permission, and I don't say this to anger any of the great people of the Indiana and Indianapolis one of my favorite nflc I don't really care about the Colts. They kind of are ticketed to eight nine or nine and eight, and maybe they're playing on Saturday of wild Card weekend, and maybe that's the one game that if you had to miss, you'll choose to miss because I don't see a lot of juice with this team, and it will be commendable if they do end up getting out of the regular season. But this team doesn't necessarily excite me.
Speaker 3: I think it's like for me, what it points to is that like a team that post Andrew Luck had no identity and it just struggled, especially quarterback, Like whether or not, no matter what we get with Anthony Anthony Richardson, that matters a lot. Like I think you've got a coach who can be around for a really long time, and I just think it's been an impressive but under the radar coaching job.
Speaker 1: Hey hear you.
Speaker 5: But you know how they kind of remind me of is all those Frank Reig teams that would win, Like Frank Reich found a way to win all those years. He had a great record until last year the option with weird quarterbacks and backups, and I think stych. I think psychics like they weren't really irrelevant, they were.
Speaker 3: I think psychics like the future of offense where Reich is we were didn't even want to change what he did in Caroline and be flexible and be open minded. So I can just think you've got to guy to latch onto. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Colts instead of what we've gotten from the Steelers. Oh all right, And like frankly wait and see on the Browns offense that whole thing.
Speaker 5: Can I just jump into the Steelers because that's what I think matters to jumping in.
Speaker 2: Yes, one last thing before you do.
Speaker 1: I just want to say we all, we all could succumb to this, but we have optimism around the Colts because they just beat the Panthers, Patriots and Bucks. I just want to see the fact that the schedule stays soft. I don't know if that's gonna It's.
Speaker 5: Not even teams that are just like the Colts, they have a very average schedule where they could win anything.
Speaker 1: I would say a three game stretch on the Panthers and the Patriots is pretty damp.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, moving forward, it's not a brutal it's not it's not too hard.
Speaker 1: It's very act.
Speaker 5: They're playing a bunch of teams kind of like the Colts and they and that. It's like, okay, I think they're better than the Raiders, Raiders Texans week.
Speaker 1: Connie, did you have something to add before we to Greg?
Speaker 4: I mean, I was just gonna mention that Michael Pittman, it's great, but that was really I mean, it's not a team that excites me either, Like they haven't. They haven't since Jonathan Taylor was running wild Anthony Richardson injury.
Speaker 3: Well, you also, you know a year ago had them ticketed as like an AFC.
Speaker 6: I don't want to really, that.
Speaker 1: Was a dark power ranking subject throughout the twenty twenty two season.
Speaker 5: All right, Greg, I take issue with you saying anything negative about your Steelers. So you said, uh, we're gonna win twelve games, you got a shot at this here, Mark, I do I think I'm putting them in the playoffs. I think we can ticket five teams to the playoffs in the AFC, the Ravens, the Chiefs, the Jags, the Dolphins, and the Steelers. The Steelers' offensive resurgence, and it's not just since last week when they fired Matt Canada.
Speaker 1: It's since their bye week matters. Since then, they.
Speaker 5: Are third in the NFL in rushing EPA, they're eleventh overall in offense, their fourth and success rate. That's since Week six. That's more than half of the season that's happened so far. They have an identity. They are a very good running team with two good running backs. They're an effective running team. They can finish out games. They rush the passer really well. They got some holes on defense, but they tend to make up for it with coaching and turnovers, and I think we've seen the worst out of their offense. I'm not saying Pickett's gonna play like he did on Sunday, where I thought he really play play well, really well against the Bengals. I don't really trust him, but I trust them. They're seven and four and their schedule is pretty easy. I don't think they'll come back and beat the Ravens, but like I think there's a better chance of them winning the AFC North then there is falling out of the playoffs, and that's partly because they got Cardinals, Patriots, Colts Bengals the next four weeks before a tough final two games at Seattle at Baltimore.
Speaker 3: So Seattle may not be that tough pat either.
Speaker 5: Your twelve is not totally crazy, and I actually think if you drill down here, this is a pretty good team. It's probably a team that's like either one and done or loses in the second around of the playoffs. But they're not an embarrassing team. I think they got lucky early and now they're actually good.
Speaker 3: They have about seven hundred yards of rushing over the last five weeks.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Yeah, that's what you want to do.
Speaker 6: I was so excited.
Speaker 4: So this year I felt like the Steelers were sort of my Colts coming into the regular season because I had gone there for training camp and I drank all of the kool aid and there were so many things to be excited about. And then watching them play, obviously, it was like this team, it just doesn't feel like they match their record, Like what I'm watching on the field doesn't seem like it should correspond with the winning record that they have. But now they've caught up to it, and it kind of does feel.
Speaker 6: It feels they're frisky and.
Speaker 3: You're the other side of it too. They have allowed under twenty points in six of their last seven games, and so that's been consistent. I think TJ. Watson kind of got to win a playoff game for you. That's his DNA, And like, if I get this twelve wins Steelers thing, going to that offen and they don't play right.
Speaker 5: The real team really, I guess the Colts. I take that back, but that's not a real quarterback in terms of like the top.
Speaker 1: Here's here's why December thirty. First, here's what here's what makes this make sense. Okay, because even they could get to twelve, but they're not really a twelve win team. No, that doesn't matter for your prediction. That doesn't matter at all. The truth of the matter is, and it's very simple. They are a ten and seventeen that got the Bengals twice after Joe Burrow got hurt perfect time in. So they they're gonna pick up two wins that they probably had no business getting. And that's gonna ten plus two e goes twelve. M that's and so in my mind, this is kind of like a fringy nine or ten win team that again and not another another team stick them on Saturday. God, hopefully maybe we can get the salt the Steelers and Colts and locking horns and knocking to get that game off the grid and tires.
Speaker 5: One advances they got to that, true too, but I think they I think they could. The only thing I pushed back on just a little. I think I'd put them at eleven. I mean, you're right, in general, they are a ten win team, but now, like looking forward, I don't think the Bengals would have swept them with Joe Burrow, Like this Bengals team has issues, and I think this Steelers team can be a legit top ten type of team. I think they most likely split split.
Speaker 6: That division games.
Speaker 1: You know, the margins to check out the Joe Burrow film when he was healthy there for a couple of weeks they were looking I hear you, Cincinnati, there's other issues. That's another frustrating supplier.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned about six teams that you want to play on that invisible Saturday playoff game. But like that, I think to the point of that, if you look at the top seven or eight in both conferences, there's a lot of junk that's gonna escape.
Speaker 1: That's why that's coming up repeatedly. There are some of these teams at the bottom of the playoff picture are really teams you just want to get to Division round.
Speaker 2: Football as soon as possible. That you know it.
Speaker 1: I'll still be watching the games. I'll still enjoy them. Could be drama, all right, you're professionals, no total bro. All right, I'll do my other one. All right, here's what matters. Trevor Lawrence and the doomed quarterback class of twenty twenty one. Look at it, you ready, Trevor Lawrence number one overall in the twenty twenty one draft. It was, it was signed, sealed, and delivered the moment he declared out of.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know this.
Speaker 1: You have the ball, that's right. Well, I have a deep connection with the university out of Clemson. Okay, now do you want to Should I share the ball story? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it would.
Speaker 1: Help now, either that or we have to edit that out.
Speaker 2: Yes, because now can you grab the ball?
Speaker 1: I a couple of weeks ago, I was in the office and and I went downstairs where we have like our dressing area, and there was a football sitting with all my shirts and stuff. And I picked it up and my name was on it, like and it was beauty and you want to get a.
Speaker 2: Shot of this here?
Speaker 1: My name was on it, and uh, it says most valuable partner, Dan Hansis, thank you for aiding in the professional development of our scholar athlete and providing a life changing career experience during our twenty twenty three Los Angeles business week trip. And then it's signed by head coach of Clemson Dave O Sweeney Dallas.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was this that you did for them?
Speaker 2: Or they're nothing.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: How do you know?
Speaker 1: And because you told me?
Speaker 2: How do you know? Though? I love how mad Greg gets back.
Speaker 4: Kansas displayed it in the window here in the podcast studio, so anyone walking past the studio.
Speaker 3: I rotated the football so that so that if you walk by, you could see his name prominently displayed.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing on the top.
Speaker 6: Of a mug, so it was hoisted up as well.
Speaker 1: If you do is it perfectly clear to anyone myself included what I did for this scholar athlete?
Speaker 2: No, not not on the surface.
Speaker 1: But do I have this football and my name aggraved in it and signed by one of the most sam as head coach? I mean something with all these nice words about me that is absolutely true.
Speaker 2: What did it say you do that is apparent?
Speaker 5: But you help the scholar athletes on a business tree? Now I realize it's not from Clemson. It's from Dabos Sweeney in some sort of.
Speaker 2: Paw journey, which is is a lifestyle of winning.
Speaker 3: What business trip was this?
Speaker 1: And I don't I'm like one of those people, like there are people that do things nice things and then make sure everyone knows about it. Yeah, there are people that just try to keep it to themselves. So I'm going to leave it kind of more mysterious. And you know, yes, Greg, there's also people this.
Speaker 6: Was absolutely a clerical error.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to know, Like, is it as I know you want to My theory is a listener somehow is involved with this program and sent it as.
Speaker 1: A joke about you. There's no other explanation.
Speaker 3: Well that's that's one way to look at It's a flat out clerical mistake.
Speaker 4: The way that you're holding this football right now and displaying it now, You're cradling it like.
Speaker 1: A maybe not say name Sweeney, because I don't do it for the autograph or even for the head coach to to send me this beautiful ball. I just do it at all.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: What do you know? I love it? I do love Oh yeah, you love it. Greg Creig sent it.
Speaker 3: There is a selfless nature to you, Dan, and I don't think anyone could deny that.
Speaker 1: And like now that the football landed in my lap, yeah, did I rotate it this morning toward the window, Because I think it's an inspiration to others to also give their time for people who need it.
Speaker 3: Maybe another student. Nowt I get a little pause. Come on, let's take its home. All right, let's move on. You're anyway, Trevor Lawrence got to end the second we.
Speaker 1: Trevor Lawrence number one overall pick, Zach Wilson, number two overall pick Zach Wilson, Trey Lanceon number three overall pick, Justin Fields, the number eleven overall pick, Mac Jones, the fifteenth overall pick. None of the last four names are going to get a second contract with the team that drafted.
Speaker 2: Them, and one of them is already no longer with a team.
Speaker 1: That's Trey lance And it's now all up to Trevor Lawrence to make that. By the way, which was kind of a fascinating draft class, Mark, would you mind pulling up the twenty twenty one NFL draft class? Great first round, tons of stars, and the quarterbacks were the headliners, and they pretty much all busted except for Lawrence. And now you look at Trevor Lawrence, and I mentioned it a couple of days ago, but he closed strong last year. His last seven games. I looked this up on Pro Football Reference. He had a one hundred and four passer rating, twelve touchdowns, two interceptions, He added two rushing scores, completed sixty eight percent of his passes.
Speaker 2: They won the AFC.
Speaker 1: South, had one of the great comebacks in the history of the NFL against the Chargers, and then gave the Chiefs all they could handle in the divisional round. As Greg mentioned, they have a pretty soft remaining schedule No Burrough, Cincinnati at Cleveland with dtr or whoever home against Baltimore, major game with high level stakes in the AFC playoff picture, and the potential by at Tampa home Carolina at Tennessee. They absolutely can be a twelve or thirteen win team if they get high level play from their quarterback, who is the only QB that matters out of that draft class. We shall see how he finishes and how the Jags finish. I'm not totally giving whoever you are, You're welcome.
Speaker 3: That is a terrible quarterback class, looking at him from the top to.
Speaker 5: Bottom, I'm not giving up on fields having a reasonable career where he starts a lot of games and has a better second act like a Ryan Tannehill type of guy. I wouldn't put him nearly in the same class of where.
Speaker 1: Will Well He'll be traded though in the offseason. I don't think he'll be on the Bears. I'm a team that we've seen him ass up the number one overall pick last year to keep right. But Trey Lance and Zach Welson and Mac Jones are in very dark places. I just put Fields like a little right to the side, and they're just kind of crazy. It is because the next quarterbacks that were taken in that class were Kellen Mond right after a long break, Davis Mills like it, Yeah, yeah, I guess he's living.
Speaker 2: Wills was in that first round. Mark, that was a good first round.
Speaker 3: Well, it's Trevor Lawrence, it's Zach Wilson, it's Trey Lance, it's justin Fields, it's Mac Jones. Then it falls off to Kyle Traskin. So I mean the other players that weren't quarterback, Oh absolutely, look there is You've got Michael Parsons in there.
Speaker 1: Parsons is twelfth. Yep, you got Mark Chase's.
Speaker 3: Fifth, Penay Sewell, Patrick Sutan, DeVonta Smith.
Speaker 5: Kyle Pitts was fourth, Wattle was sixth. I mean, Sewell's an All Pro or Pro bowler, so Sertan at nine. Devanta Smith might as well be at ten, great player Parsons at twelve. Slater made an All Pro team at thirteen. That is a great top of the draft that the But.
Speaker 3: That said, though quarter Jets were not gonna take you know, a linebacker at this like there was. It was like you have to keep trying.
Speaker 1: Well. Once the Jets beat the Rams in Week sixteen, they locked themselves out of the Trevor Lawrence swop stakes, and they would have been no matter what they would have done, they would have been wrong.
Speaker 2: But doesn't make it feel any better.
Speaker 6: And this quarterback class, that one was sold to us as a really.
Speaker 2: Good generational class. Yeah, yeah, that's just where it is.
Speaker 3: So bawning over Zach Wilson even a year into his career.
Speaker 1: So I just want to like say that Lawrence and the Jags are a team to watch down the stretch here with a soft schedule and good positioning, and they could, even though it strikes you as odd, potentially be the number one seed in them I give him the little less of a chance than the Chiefs, but they were the second last. But this way, at a certain point before games were played, they were the number one seed. On Sunday it changed but that tells you how incredibly packed things are.
Speaker 2: But also they're in the mix absolutely right.
Speaker 3: I have one quick one yeah, because it's the literally one of the biggest sports stories around, and it's we're about forty days away from knowing the fate very simply of Bill Belichick staying in New England or leaving the Patriots, maybe saying good bye to him when they had the number one overall pick or first, second or third, and then like in a any given Sunday Al Pacino Closer, like have you.
Speaker 1: Seen that movie, Collen?
Speaker 3: I have, yes, there you go, like Belichick turning right around and continuing his coaching career and chasing Don Shula's record somewhere else, maybe with the Chargers, maybe with the Commanders, the commis.
Speaker 2: You know what's you know what's interesting?
Speaker 1: Is there anything that Belichick can do from this point to January seventh that would change his fate in New England?
Speaker 3: I think it would more come down to the fact that crafty or the other I don't know, you know, I think if your craft.
Speaker 5: And your game, if you go six and oh with Bailey z Appy, that would probably.
Speaker 1: Change Or is it just already over?
Speaker 3: Why would that change Why wouldn't change it?
Speaker 1: Then I'm just saying, that's what I'm saying. Have they already made the decision?
Speaker 3: More like what Craft is weighing as other op and it's going to be, you know, the coach that's to come be post Bill Belichick. You know, if it's Gerald Mayo, maybe it's already decided to Craft's mind.
Speaker 5: But Belichick said this week that he enjoys coaching this team and enjoys coaching as which now as he did when they were winning Super Bowls, which Okay, there's no way I don't quite believe that, but I do believe a that's a signal I plan to continue coaching, and he wants the record.
Speaker 1: And I actually do believe him that he.
Speaker 5: Believes in He's probably right that he is going to find no greater satisfaction or enjoyment or joy in his life than doing what he's doing. So he's gonnaep doing it if someone hires him to do it, and.
Speaker 1: If he if he could be hired by a team that has an established quarterback thats on their schedule, I think he would like that too.
Speaker 5: That would be be willing to give up running the organization because I do think he's not that far away from the defensive version of Mike Shanahan, which is like Mike Shanahan running the organization where he was essentially the owner, ruined that he was still like his son, the best play caller in the league.
Speaker 1: And for everything that.
Speaker 5: Bill Belichick, you know, isn't doing right, they're still ranked pretty high defensively. Like I think he's still a fine game day coach, like he could coach up a defense.
Speaker 1: He just everything else. I don't think Bill's gonna want to go somewhere where someone else's as Bill Parcells telling Bill Belichick, if you're gonna, you know, if you're gonna ask me to cook the meal, you gotta let me shop for the groceries about forty I can't see Bill having someone else go to the supermarket. You're probably right, but if you have I don't know, Justin Herbert is a quarterback, then you have a little more margin for error, which he does not have. Right now, all right, let's get to Thursday night football unless we're good, all right, good talk, good seg Thursday night Football. Yes, the AFA mentioned Dallas Cowboys are at home, where they have been unstoppable this year. Including a Thursday night bashing of the Commanders that got people fired. They host the Seattle Seahawks, and these are two teams, Connie and again Colleen, who anchors coverage of TNF on NFL Network, Two teams going in different directions. So I think the general sentiment out there and I don't know what the desert saying, but.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna guess, Greggy, I'm gonna guess about who. Maybe seven and a half. I'm checking at least it's up to nine.
Speaker 1: Up to nine, my god. The general sentiment out there in the Vegas sentiment is that the Cowboys are going to keep rolling. Is there anything that you're seeing in your studying of the Seahawks that says, you know what, this could be a team that the game they hang around in and maybe even win.
Speaker 4: So the only thing that jumps out at me is Gino Smith. Yes, he was definitely not one hundred percent last week. We knew that after hurting his elbow, and he wasn't a full participant in practice going into that Thanksgiving game. But this week he's had He's participated in all of the practices fully. So his uh, I think Pete Carroll came out and said that, like it's a night and day difference for him coming into this game. So maybe we see a little bit more from Gino because that was just not a great performance by him at all. But yeah, I mean these two teams. I think the Seahawks are like a perfect example of how volatile the NFL is this year in general, because they were five and two, they were one of the darlings of the NFC. They were in conversations about challenging the Niners for the division, and then they lost three of four games, including the San Francisco on and they're still in the playoff picture. But their next three games at Dallas, at San Francisco, and then hosting the Eagles, that's a really tough stretch. And with these two teams matching up on Thursday, Like Deron Bland has more touchdowns than any of.
Speaker 6: The Seahawks wide receivers, so they.
Speaker 4: Kind of I know that they run the ball well and they're gonna have to to win this game or even make it close.
Speaker 3: Metcalf has won one hundred plus yard performance. There's a number out there that says on tight window throws, he's caught two of seventeen tight window targets. The offense has fallen off a cliff since Week nine, allowing just over fifteen points per game. They're allowing almost twenty eight on defense. Dallas has never trailed at home this entire season. Seattle's gone twenty straight drives without a touchdown. So it's not just the healthier version of Gino Smith. It's like we're watching a team that I think had great promise and is starting to crumble left and right. You don't have Kenneth Walker, and I see issues on both sides of the ball, And do I trust Pete Carroll on the road against a white hot Cowboys team to coach his way out of it? If I say I don't trust them, they'll probably win anyways, because I remember what happened last week to predict.
Speaker 5: It, Greg, it's a little dan Quinn Pete Carroll off, by the way, dah oh, that's true. Dan Quinn's coaching up a storm. Pete Carroll twenty second in defensive DVOA. They've been below average now for five out of six years. The one year they weren't was the pandemic year where they were thirteenth. So he's a defensive coach with a below average defense basically every year.
Speaker 1: Uh, Greg, you know what else matters in these last six weeks, I think it's your boy. I think Gino's playing for his job these last six weeks of the regular season because I think he's had a you know, pretty Gino coaster type year, and I think contract wise, they can make a move if they have to after this year, so he's got to put better tape out there as well.
Speaker 5: I think they're more likely to draft a quarterback to pair with him because of the contract that he has, which is similar to the Derek Carr contract with the Raiders, which you can't get off of it, but you'd have to still guaranteed like twelve million years.
Speaker 1: But if his next season money looks like his last six weeks, I think they could go in a different direction.
Speaker 5: I don't think they would do that with a veteran because I think he's played over that line of just like he's better than average, so we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Need right, Yes, I do.
Speaker 5: I do think though that that, like, like the Thursday night game was a great example, Like they've had a couple of these games this year and it's boring to point this out, but they get steamrolled offensively and defensively on the line, they have no pass rush essentially, that's consistent. They put all this money in Draymond Jones, they traded for Leonard Williams, you know, boy Mafia, all this stuff.
Speaker 1: They get rocked.
Speaker 5: And the Cowboys offensive line has been great, and then you flip it and Gino's facing i think the third highest pressure rate in the league, despite getting rid of the ball pretty quickly and mostly avoiding sex. They do get Abe Lucas possibly back for this game to replace the forty forty one year old Jason Peters for the first time since Week one. This would be the first time they have their tackles back together for the first time since week one. But there's there's still got like a missing guard or two, Like their two lines are bad, and it's man, the Cowboys are so good upfront on both sides. It's it's sad, I'm not looking forward to you don't playing this this defense because there's no reason to think that they're gonna play well.
Speaker 3: I think also, if you're Dallas, like you could point to figures on the roster who have improved, like we've gotten a much better version of Brandon Cooks the last couple of weeks, we're waiting for that. I think Tony Poller has been running the ball better than any point in the year. And then it's like they're the kind of team that if you get behind against Dallas, they just start to unleak dark like dark hell on everyone. It's like it's like, I don't know, I don't love the formula for Seattle here.
Speaker 4: No, And also I kind of think it's interesting that the Seahawks they just signed Calvin Joseph too to their practice squad, so a former Cowboy.
Speaker 6: They have a couple of former.
Speaker 4: Cowboys spy on the Yeah, on the team if you count Jason Peters, I guess at this point, but the Cowboys offensive line has been playing so well. Both Smith's on the left side, Tyron and Tyler they look great just.
Speaker 3: The right Dallas Yeah really said they had three Hall of famers on their line, including Tyler Smith.
Speaker 1: I think Dak is also, I think he misspoke. I think he was thinking.
Speaker 3: I mean, he did say it. I don't right, He's probably not pounding the table, I think on the line for a grocery store something. Back when before Travis Frederick retired.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Cooks obviously, CD Lambsman an All Pro this year. You mentioned Pollard starting to heat up. Uh, you are getting a situation where I think Dak is lifting all boats here and uh, Connie, here's a good stat that's from Barnwell, write this one down, buddy. Yeah, he has an eighty point seven QBR since Week six, and I think WEEKSA you're butter knifing in a little bit because I think that's when he bombed out against San Francisco. But since that game, Uh, he has an eighty point seven QBR. Nobody else in the entire NFL is over sixty eight. So he's head and shoulders the best QB in the league for a month and a half now. And I just think of everything sets up in prime time with the Cowboys feeling themselves. Oh yeah, they are in normal rest even though they played on Thursday night. Same with the Seahawks, by the way, Uh, to keep rolling on offense, I think we could be looking at another thirty to forty burger.
Speaker 4: I could definitely see that. It feels like they're at the height of their power right now. And Dak Prescott, Yeah, he's on an absolute tear. He was actually asked about it. You know, he has a daughter that's due in March coming up, so you could call him Dad Prescott if you want, well you could, But he was saying that he was asked about the how well he's been playing, like he.
Speaker 1: Said, shopping that for Moocha on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: Mooch alone, that this show exists, I'm sure he does. You just have him on sure, I mean so much.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he knows the show exists, but I mean, what a great guy?
Speaker 6: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: He is the best always.
Speaker 1: Uncle Uncle Mooch here in the office. Everybody like Steve Mariucci.
Speaker 4: He is just the sweetest, most genuine like he's so much fun to be around.
Speaker 6: I love doing shows with him. And my dad was in town right.
Speaker 4: Now because we want to get really yeah, so it's like I just had big dad.
Speaker 6: Energy all around me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad energy is right, I think because we hear another one we want to get who we want to get on the show the off season, McDaniel.
Speaker 3: We want to get Darius Lay, Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 2: We want to get.
Speaker 1: Steve Smith my own episode with Colleen. Yeah, and how about Mooch. Yeah, Connie as.
Speaker 6: Well, mondays with Mooch. It's one of my favorite days of the week.
Speaker 4: And anyway, what I was just about to say though about Prescott, he was asked about the tear.
Speaker 6: That he's on right now, and he said that it's Dad's strength. That's what's really like pushing him through right now.
Speaker 3: Wait the titled yeah there we go till you're getting in about two and a half hours of sleep and anything else, I'm this.
Speaker 2: Game all right? Good?
Speaker 1: That's so up. Seahawks.
Speaker 5: They are more interesting nine and a half point underdog than most. I'm with you, And there is something to the the fact that they're not facing the forty nine ers. I know the Cowboys are great, but the Seahawks just look like little babies when they go against the forty nine ers, like they shouldn't even belong.
Speaker 1: They're they had to have been humbled there.
Speaker 5: If ever they were gonna, you know, respond a little bit, try a little harder, Dan, this is the game after I mean, that was as bad as it gets last week.
Speaker 3: You know what, other energy to show up? Remember that fenothera night, just hit the road. We're good.
Speaker 6: Do the Rams end up getting in the playoffs and balancing the Seahawks are in trouble.
Speaker 1: Feel like the Packers are more likely, but yeah, they are in trouble. They gotta win on one less underdog, fearless prediction. I think Deron Bland gets an interception he gets in the open field that gets brought down on the Seattle side of the field, so he almost has builds on his NFL record with a sixth pick six.
Speaker 5: I thought you were gonna say tackle him, and for some reason, Gino has a lot of strength open field tackling.
Speaker 1: I just don't feel like would be one of them. I don't feel like I will freak out if this happens. All right, Okay, okay, okay, I think we covered everything.
Speaker 2: Let me check the rundown.
Speaker 1: Colleen Wolf, do you have I want to give you the floor before you say goodbye. Is there anything you want to share with the audience and anything you know, whether it's a plug or or something personal or what I will.
Speaker 6: Be on TV on Thursday? Got that Bursday Night of football?
Speaker 1: What else are your Christmas decorations up yet?
Speaker 6: No Christmas is canceled.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I've canceled it because we had to put our sweet baby to.
Speaker 6: Sleep last week.
Speaker 1: Blitzen.
Speaker 6: So one of the reindeer is not suitable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's terrible.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry to hear that a down note here. Yeah, so I am a basket case and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's that, all right, guys, Yes, and you and and you will have the one dog and still have Dasher.
Speaker 2: You and Johnny will give Dasher the company needs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, by Christmas, you're get in the spirit. I don't need a little recovery as.
Speaker 1: I As I've said before with dogs, because I've been very close with dogs.
Speaker 2: In my life. They are the perfect animal. Only thing. The only fundamental flaw of the dog is it lives long enough for you to really embrace it as a part of your family, but not long enough to just be around, you know, and you get those ten to fifteen years.
Speaker 1: And Blitzen was a good dog, great great dog. My Boomer was a great dog. Everyone has had a great dog for most of us.
Speaker 3: I feel lucky that over the off season I got yanked out of the mist to house it.
Speaker 2: At Kanye and house and spend a lot of time with both dogs.
Speaker 3: And I'd met them both before, but I it literally, well, it kind of fs me up to hear this news because they were really sweet and they were best friends too.
Speaker 6: And you sent me the best videos of them.
Speaker 4: I still like the best pictures and videos so many throughout the time that you were house sitting, and like, I love them. I love every single one that you sent, and I save them and I look at them and.
Speaker 1: Advice to a friend, find an ornament that looks like blitzing, decorate for the holidays and hang that ornament and celebrate together.
Speaker 2: I think it would actually help.
Speaker 1: I think, so bring love into the house, celebrate uncanceled Christmas, Fine, uncanceled Chriss Christmas.
Speaker 6: And Christmas back. Turn on the music.
Speaker 1: All right, shout out blitzing, uh for everyone.
Speaker 2: And you and dogs.
Speaker 1: It's NonStop drama around I know, Gez, how is Tank still around? And blitz is actually.
Speaker 2: The dog?
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, gotta go.
Speaker 2: That's uh.
Speaker 1: That's everything you said it all, Colleen. Thank you to everybody for listening. We'll be back on Thursday with the TNF Preview, NFL plus tn F recap.
Speaker 2: It's our Thursday triple header.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of work looking forward to. That's what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we grind until then. Heed the call.