Speaker 1: Everything is very soothing in a Hallmark movie. Yeah, like fires, fires are always roaring it, eating is always happening, it, tons of hot cocoa. I'm Susie Bannacharam and I'm Jessica Bennett. And this is In Retrospect, where each week we revisit a cultural moment from the past that shaped us.
Speaker 2: And that we just can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 1: Today, we have a special holiday version of In Retrospect where we're going to talk about the past and present of Hallmark Christmas movies. Hm, yes, have you ever watched a Hallmark Christmas.
Speaker 2: Movie, Susie, I'm proud to say the answer to that is no.
Speaker 1: Well, I cannot say the same. I have watched.
Speaker 2: How could I have guessed?
Speaker 1: So many Christmas movies this season that the other day Mike walked in on me watching one and said, Mike your boyfriend, Mike my boyfriend, and said, how many of these have been already watched this season? And I did not like the judgment in his voice. I was like, what is that tone, mister, No, he was actually laughing. He thought it was hilarious, but I feel like some judgment about it. So I thought it would be interesting to query why I'm so interested or into these movies.
Speaker 2: Okay, I want to hear that. But also, what is a Hallmark?
Speaker 3: What makes something? Are these movies produced by Hallmark?
Speaker 2: Like? What am I missing here?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, this is a great question. Hallmark Christmas movies are made by Hallmark.
Speaker 2: Like the card company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the card company. The maximare on the Hallmark Channel, which is where Hallmark Christmas movies are aired.
Speaker 2: What channel is that? Like, that's a channel on tele.
Speaker 1: That's a channel on television as part of the cable package. Yes, okay, and.
Speaker 2: I don't have cable growing up, so okay, yeah that.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, but this is very confusing for you. Okay. So actually it started as the combination of two religious channels that came together and became a Christian network called the Faith and Values Channel.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that makes sense. Why they're like so strident?
Speaker 1: Yes, well they're not actually striding. They're very soothing. But we're gonna get to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: And so it started as a religious thing. Then there was a rebrand in two thousand and one and that's when it became the Hallmark Channel, and the original content had very explicitly religious and traditional themes. Okay, And it wasn't really until the twenty tens when the channel began to be known for these made for TV movies romance comedies, and then really it begun to be known for Christmas movies in particular when it started this thing called count Down to Christmas in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Count Down to Christmas coming this October Holy on Hallmark.
Speaker 1: And that is literally like every night to Christmas, they premiere I don't know if it's every night, but they premiere all the new Christmas movies of that season.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've been really busy.
Speaker 1: I've been very busy. That's one way of betting it. And the idea is that these movies evoke the same warm, traditional values that Hallmark greeting cards. And I don't know if growing up you ever went to a Hallmark store, but I always loved the Hallmark store. They have greeting cards and ornaments, and so it's supposed to evoke those same feelings in you. And I should say that I'm not the only one watching these movies because that's how I feel.
Speaker 2: Talking to me. Yeah, I think I'm the minority here. People love these.
Speaker 1: To give you an idea of what a big business it is. It is literally defying the fate of most other cable channels. Hallmark is one of the most popular cable channels on television. New York Magazine recently did a piece called Nobody told Hallmark Channel that cable is Dead, and in it it mentioned that it is not uncommon for Hallmark to have the most watched program in all of cable on any given night, Wow, especially during the holidays. Okay and per Nielsen, Hallmark Channel is the number two most watched entertainment channel of twenty twenty three, just behind HDTV, but ahead of other channels that people watch a lot, like TNT and USA and Food Network. And also in the last week of November, they premiered seven brand new Hallmark Christmas movies and that pushed the channel to be the number two most watched channel across all of cable, not just entertainment cable, meaning that it beat Fox News. And of those seven movies, six of them were watched by more than one point seven million people on their premiere night, so that's just the people who watched it on the first run. Most of these movies are run over and over again, and they've made for this season forty original movies just to air in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: So what are they about? Like, is there really that much to say? Why are there so many movies?
Speaker 2: What are they about?
Speaker 1: Well, they're all very formulaic, they're all very very similar. They have a lot of rules, there's a standard story format. Now some of this is starting to change a little bit as these shows have become more popular and as there's more diversity and inclusion. But the traditional formula is basically, this a relatable single, sometimes very recently single, like a girl who's just literally broken up with her boyfriend or isn't single scandalous, but her boyfriend is a big dumb jerk and you hate him right away, and it's clear you're supposed to hate him.
Speaker 2: That's always a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: It's always like a boyfriend, yes, And so this single girl has lost faith in love. She's pursuing life in the big city and somehow she ends up in a small town for some reason. She's either going home for the holidays. Okay, Sometimes she's a reporter who's working on a story about a secret Santa that nobody knows the identity of okay, okay. Sometimes she has an accident and she has amnesia and she's like God all down and she falls in love but she doesn't know who she is. Like, it's always some ex case for why she's now in this idyllic.
Speaker 2: Town, like snow.
Speaker 1: There's snow everywhere. And a thing that Hallmark actually says themselves is that a classic Hallmark Christmas movie has to have Christmas in every frame, meaning every single shot the movie has to have some element of Christmas, like an ornament or a tree or a PUCKI like, there has to be something visually that indicates its case.
Speaker 2: So like there's no Jews.
Speaker 1: In well, now there are Jews. Now They've released like a few Hallmark movies that are Honka movies. So the match maker was right, Hanka on Rye on Hallmark. But that is fairly recent. So again we're just talking about the basic formula that has existed for years. We'll talk about kind of what's happening now later. But so here's this girl. She's in this small town and she meets a handsome local man, a kind of modern prince charming, and almost always he is also single, but sometimes he also has an awful girlfriend who doesn't appreciate how sweet and perfect he is. And his job is always something like baker.
Speaker 2: Or are you living a Hallmark movie?
Speaker 1: I'm kind of living a homework movie. Is a baker your Yeah? He really rejects that comparison, because trust I've made it.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, So they're bakers or bakers, or there.
Speaker 1: Are firemen, or they are the owner of the local Christmas tree lots. Okay, they're usually small business owners or small town kind of charmers. And while she spends time with this charming stranger, he reminds her of the simpler joys of small town life. So community and warmth and comfort. Everything is very soothing in a Hallmark movie. Yeah, like fires, fires are always roaring, ice skating is always happening, tons of cocoats showering hot co coat like caroling, caroling, there's always caroling. So often there's also I just want to say, a child involved. Okay, Sometimes the man has a child and his wife has passed. They try not to talk about divorce a lot, but sometimes he's divorced, and less often the woman has a child, and the child is always like adorable and precocious, and the way the formula works is there's also kind of a formula to the story structure. So she gets to the town, she meets the stranger somewhere, they start to get to know each other a little bit better. There's a near kiss about three quarters of the way through the movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can time it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then eventually there is like a challenge they face, or a challenge to their relationship or a misunderstanding that briefly pulls them apart, and then they're brought back together by the end. And there is one perfect chaste kiss at the end of every movie, and that is the happy.
Speaker 2: Ending, and that's end.
Speaker 1: That's it, and that's the end.
Speaker 2: So wait, tell me some of the ones you've watched so far this season.
Speaker 1: The thing is, I can't really tell them all apart, so like I won't be able to tell you all the.
Speaker 3: Name, but I've watched so romantic like what it's a general plot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's really a romance component to all of these. But I want to say that the fantasy isn't really just about romance. I mean, that's certainly part of it, but it's also just kind of an idyllic world where everybody loves their family, and everyone's really supportive of each other, and everything is incredibly optimistic, like it is a world that is very different from the world we live in, and so there are these rules that govern this world. And some of these rules are explicit. Hallmark executives have talked about these rules, and some of them are less explicit but clear. If you are a consumer of many of these films, which I am, so here are some of the rules that I have put together for you. So it always has to be too conventionally attractive, very classically American, traditionally white main characters. In recent years, there's been some diversification and race and sexuality, but that's kind of the standard setup. And then a lot of the stars are not super famous, but they're recognizable from some sitcom or teen show you watched as a kid, so like Lacey Schever of Party of five fame and Danica mckeller from The Wonder Years who played Winnie Cooper. Holly Robinson Pete from twenty one Jump Street was the most prominent black actress on the network for a long time. Now there are others. Even Megan Markle was into Mark movies when she was just an actor from suits and not married to Prince Harry?
Speaker 3: Do these pay a lot of money? Like this is this like good money for actors?
Speaker 1: Yes, actually a lot of actors compare the Hallmark system to the old school studio system because actors can sign exclusive contracts with these networks. It just means that there's steady work, good pay, decent hours. Like it's the kind of thing where if you get into the Hallmark system, which is actually not easy to do, then you can have steady work every year. And these movies shoot fast, so it's a very efficient process.
Speaker 2: It's like a journalist doing corporate work on the side kind of. It's a fun their art.
Speaker 1: The Christmas movies generally get shot in fifteen days. There's like minimal takes. It's really efficient and affordable. Yeah, most of them are shot in Canada, so they use existing locations. They don't have to use sound stages. So there is like a whole industry around this that just churns out these Christmas movies and it's a year long process because they have to all be made and ready to go.
Speaker 3: And like, if you're an actor, is this the kind of thing where you're like, don't put that one on my website.
Speaker 1: I think actually a lot of these actors get really into it. Like there's an annual convention every year called Christmas Con, which I wanted to go to for this episode, but they rejected me. They said they didn't have room for podcasters this year. So I'm just like, very offended. Wow, But a lot of the actors from these movies have been posting from Christmas Con, Like Jesse Metcalf, who's one of the male stars who used to be an actor on Desperate Housewives. He was posting from there just a couple of days ago. Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill is one of.
Speaker 2: The great This is basically a world that I just had no idea.
Speaker 1: No idea existed, but it is a whole universe.
Speaker 2: And Okay, so they're proud.
Speaker 1: So they're proud of it. I mean to dismiss them, no, I mean, I'm sure there are some people who you know wouldn't be but I think you know, if you're a working actor and it's been a while since you've been cast in something, and you get plugged into the system, this is a great way to have regular work. And I think they all.
Speaker 2: Become a lot of chunky sweaters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they've become friends. It's like uplifting content.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, so okay, so let's go.
Speaker 1: Back to the role. So the rules are the vibe has to always be uplifting and a little magical, like there's no darkness in this world. The world makes sense here. There's no evil, there's no war, there's no bamin. Okay, Yeah, it's kind of nice. So very deliberately, there are no politics. The former CEO told The New Yorker for an article once that the only thing we promote is pet adoption. We make no apologies about that. It's very clearly apolitical. And I think that's because the accusation was always that they were conservative because they came from a religious background. But they're actually trying to stay out of politics. And I want to mention another thing which I think makes them very soothing, which is there's rarely economic hardship of any kind. Like yeah, yeah, small towns and small businesses aren't doing great in the real world, but in these small towns, the small businesses.
Speaker 3: Detroit businesses on the street shutter or whatever, everything is viable.
Speaker 1: Sometimes there's like a challenge like business is down or Dad wants to retire and sell the business, but that challenge is always met and everything is fine by the end of the movie. And another thing that's interesting is that there are usually some hyjiinks and disagreements, but they literally cannot be too angry. When the New Yorker reporter who did that article I mentioned was on set, she witnessed a scene where the guy seemed really angry and the director was like, cut, like you got to take it down a notch, like you're too mad.
Speaker 2: They're not like doxing each other on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Nobody is doxing each other on Twitter. Nobody is having like a crying jag and like throwing things. It is a very civilized world, okay, and the relationshi are all basically healthy. Sometimes there are mad cap misunderstandings, but at the root of this are good people who just love each other, families who get along. All the children are adored and cherished. Parents are either kind of saints or imperfect, but only because they're misunderstood. And it's very important to note that there's also very little sex in these rightbe like just like chaste kisses near kisses, but there's no heat in these movies. It's all very safe.
Speaker 2: Do they get a rating?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, if they got a rating, it would yeah miss PG. Yeah, but it's I mean, I think it would be less than I don't know what less than PG is, but it would be done it less than PG. And you know, I mentioned the Christmas and every frame, and what that means is that there have to be heartwarming holiday themes all through the movie. Christmas tree decorating, cookie baking, coco, Christmas lights, snowball fights like, there have to be a million cliches about Christmas kind of thrown in, and then ultimately there's always the happy ending.
Speaker 2: So why do you like these?
Speaker 3: I mean, let's be but this sounds horrible, This sounds like so corny.
Speaker 2: Why do you like this?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great question. So first of all, yes, it's incredibly corny. And obviously I know you well enough to know that you hate corny things, so I knew that you would find this hilarious but also disturbing. And so I have spent a lot of time thinking about it in the last couple of weeks as I've been thinking about what we're going to talk about, and I think for me, it just represents a certain kind of Americana and small town life, which as an immigrant, is what I thought America was, like that idealized version of America is what you imagine America is when you come here and your life is nothing like that. You come from a world where there certainly is war and politics and danger, and your life has just been completely thrown into disarray and you're far from your family, like you don't have this sweet world, and you imagine that that's the world everyone else has. So I think for me they represent this kind of comforting idea that there is a part of the world that makes sense, right, and you know, I.
Speaker 3: Feel it makes a lot of sense until you realize unfortunately it's not like it's not.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, what you're saying is is that it's a fantasy, which of course it is. So now I obviously know that. I mean I think I always kind of inherently knew that. But the reason I think it's kind of important around the holiday season is I think that's a time where people really feel not having those fantasy family life, Like if you're someone who doesn't have a big family or doesn't have a family you know, or lost your parent or whatever. This is a time where you feel very alone, you know, like the holidays can feel really isolating, and so I think a lot of people just watch these movies as a way to feel the warmth that they're not getting in their personal lives, right, And I think also the formulaic nature is very appealing to me. If I'm honest, I don't really have to be watching. It's a second screen activity, like I usually just put it on, and I know the basic plot points are always essentially the same, so I can be doing other things. I can be like texting or doing.
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe the few times i've I don't know, been in other people's houses where they've been played, they're like they're on in the background, and like you can go in and out.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like background noise in a way. And sometimes they're good, like you're like, oh, this is actually kind of entertaining me, and so you dial in. But for the most part it's just this sid of soothing Christmas background, Like there's.
Speaker 2: Right with like some nice music, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like some Christmas music gets played, some adorable children come out in like costumes. You know. It's just like a kind of nice vibe to have in the background. It kind of makes my brain feel smooth like butter. Okay, that's how it feels like. I have a lot of anxiety, as you know, and so sometimes I just want to watch something that just like irons out all the kinks in my brain. But I thought, what would be funny would be for me to describe to you the plot of the most popular Hamewark Christmas movie of all time, because it's fairly deranged in ways that I find really amusing. This is definitely a movie I've seen more than once. I don't know if I've ever seen it like start to finish. Because the other thing about Homemwark Christmas movies is I have cable, right, which a lot of people don't have. But if you have cable, well, one of the benefits of it is that you just happen upon them. You know. It's like you're just flipping through channels.
Speaker 2: And you're like, are they on other channels too?
Speaker 1: No, But they did make a deal this year with Peacock, and so now some Hallmark movies are available on Peacock, and now lots of other people make Christmas movies. But you know, it's kind of one of those things where if there's nothing else on, I'll just default around Christmas to Hallmark and just like have it on in the background. So this movie, I can't just like wait to tell you all about it. So this movie is called Christmas under Wraps and it stars Candice Cameron Beret, who is arguably the Queen of Christmas movies. She has been in so many of them. She has starred in four of the ten most viewed Christmas movies on Hallmark. Okay, this movie debuted in twenty fourteen, and it to this day holds the record for Hallmark's highest ever broadcast premiere. Like it is credited by Hallmark executives as being the breakthrough moment for Christmas programming on the channel, and it re airs every year. So an important thing to kind of understand about the ecosystem is that they make all these new movies every year, but then they mix in all these old movies that you remember, and that's also kind of part of the appeal. It's like when people watch Friends over and over again, like it's kind of familiar and soothing to have one of these show up. So here's the story of Christmas under Wraps. After a breakup. Doctor Lauren Brunel played by Candice Cameron Beret is forced to move to Alaska for a new job.
Speaker 2: Okay, Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's been passed over for a prestigious fellowship in Boston and her boyfriend breaks up with her.
Speaker 2: Everything I've worked for my entire life is gone.
Speaker 1: She temporarily accepts an offer to go practice in a small town called Garland, Scarland, Alaska. Get it, it's got.
Speaker 2: A Christmas theme.
Speaker 1: No, the towns are never real. Okay, the towns are always like these Evergreen or whatever big names, and this job is supposed to be temporary while she waits for another chance at the Boston fellowship. When she gets to Alaska, she meets Andy, who is a handsome local handyman. Welcome to Garland, doctrepreneurs. She quickly starts to fall in love with Garland, but as Larren becomes more familiar with the town, she starts to notice some odd things. Most people in this town actually work for. Andy. The adorable handyman she met when she arrived, his father, Frank, who owns a warehouse business called Holiday Shipping because okay, their last name is Holiday, and Frank likes to eat cookies for breakfast.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And she can't quite figure out what Frank's business exactly is beyond shipping, but she starts to get to know Andy better and it turns out that used to be an architect in Seattle, but he moved home because his dad really needs help with the family business.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what is the family business?
Speaker 1: Donlanta?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Christmas wait, just wait.
Speaker 1: He confides in Lauren that he's ambivalent about his future, and here is the almost kissed moment. And then later there's an emergency and Lauren is summoned to the holiday home, but when she gets there, she realizes it's not a medical emergency that she's been summoned for. But there's a reindeer, and the reindeer indeed injured Rudy presumably short for Rudolph, who is injured. His ankle is injured, and it's a crisis because they need him to be well for the Christmas eve Dot festival. Okay, okay, So still she's like things here are strange, but.
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't get it, I don't care.
Speaker 1: What is happening here? That feels what did it all mean? And you know, but she's smart, so she's starting to become suspicious something strange as a foot. Well she is a doctor, right.
Speaker 2: So okay, and so how to fix Rudy's foot?
Speaker 1: She patches up Rudy's ankle. She does, yes, and everyone is extremely grateful, and then some other things happen. I won't get into, but it's important to note that somewhere in all of this, Andy gets Lauren a Christmas tree and they decorate it together.
Speaker 2: This is the best Christmas I've ever had. And then they kiss.
Speaker 1: Nope, the kiss doesn't come until the end. It's just near kisses until the end. I'm sure they bake some cookies or go ice skating. I don't remember all the fun Christmas ectoky, but that's like how there are Romance unfolds. And then right after all of that comes the challenge. Lauren finds out that a spot has opened up in Boston after all, So she tells Andy, ok that she's leaving, and you know, she can't give up what she's wanted her whole life, and they're both really sad. And the question here is, Jessica, is this going to be the first time that a Christmas movie doesn't have a happy ending.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, but maybe the happy ending is like getting her executive shop.
Speaker 1: Okay, you are clearly wrong about that, Like what are you even thinking of? The happy ending is never that the career girl goes back to her career, right, she always discovers that small town life is better than her like New York career.
Speaker 2: So wow, okay, so what happens?
Speaker 1: So that's so silly, but obviously I'm wrong. There will be a happy ending. Before Lauren can leave, Andy gets a call that his father has collapsed, and so they rush to be by his side, and Andy is so worried about his father's health that he realizes that he has to help his dad with the business. Again. No one is being explicit about what the business is, right, but in seeing him and his dad come together, Lauren has a real zay of her own. She's decided she's going to stay in Garland. She turns down the fellowship, and she goes to find Andy at the Christmas festival to tell him, and then they kiss and it is a happy ending after all. But one last thing. It turns out that Frank is in fact Santa Claus.
Speaker 3: Okay, so does that mean she's I guess she's not gonna be Missus Claus.
Speaker 2: Well, she's gonna be a homemaker.
Speaker 1: One day she's gonna be Missus Claus. She's gonna be a doctor. And the way we find out that Frank is in fact Santa Claus is he comes out in a full Santa outfit in a sleigh being led by Rudy the reindeer, and then it like goes up into the air your way, and that's how the movie ends.
Speaker 3: Are these like okay, like this is like kitch, Like this is like ella, wel this is so ridiculous, or this is like like I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Where you want to watch?
Speaker 1: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just like you're trying to get away from your family. Well, I mean I think that's some of it, and this is something to do.
Speaker 1: Some of it is like you're just trying to look for entertainment anywhere you can find it. I think that for a lot of people who watch it, Like for me, it is kitsch, Like I find it hilarious, Like it's unintentionally a comedy for me, right, Like I'm like he's stay on a clause like that's the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, that's like, it's funny when you tell it.
Speaker 1: Right, But I don't know that that's how it's intended, but certainly how I receive it. So I think, like I would love to hear from people who have different reasons why they love these movies. For me, it's always hilarious, and the more deranged the storyline, the more I love it because I'm just like, what's.
Speaker 2: Happening, Yeah, that's fun. I could see that.
Speaker 1: You can kind of see that, right, And I think there are people who putat like Hallmark Christmas games like drinking games, where like when something happens, you know, there's a lot of ways to make it fun. But I think what's interesting is it. Candice Cameron Beret herself is like a really interesting part of the Hallmark universe because she really is the Queen of Christmas or the Queen of Hallmark Christmas. But you know, I don't know how much you know about her, but she's quite conservative. She's an openly conservative celebrity, obviously of which there are not a ton and she's been creating content for the channel since two thousand and eight, and her first Hallmark movie was called Moonlight and Mistletoe and just FYI, Tom Arnold, Wasn't it just okay? But in twenty twenty two, she announced that she was ending her contract with Hallmark and she was going to go to this other channel called the Great American Family Channel, which she claimed was more in line with her traditional and religious values. And this created a controversy because it seemed very much like a veiled way of saying. She rejected that there were now LGBTQ themes and more diversity in the stories, and this is what she said at the time, my heart wants to tell stories that have more meeting and purpose and depth behind them. I know that the people behind Great American Family were Christians that loved the Lord and wanted to promote faith programming and good family entertainment.
Speaker 3: Where they're like some gay uncles in Missletoe and Mischief.
Speaker 2: Holiday Missletoe and whatever.
Speaker 1: So they had started to kind of introduce characters that were obliquely gay, like they would have two men who were friends. They would never explicitly talk about their being gay, but you could kind of get a sense. But at this point they make movies where there are two leads who are gay and who end up together. There has been a push towards more diversity and inclusion on the channel, and there was kind of this scandal because at some point there was an ad on the channel from a wedding registry site where two lesbians kissed, and a conservative group started to organize a boycott, and initially they pulled the commercial, but then there was a boycott of the channel from the other side, and competitors like Netflix and other streamers who now make these movies touted that they have more LGBTQU diversity. So Hallmark reversed its decision and said it would reinstate the advertisements and work with GLAD and other LGBTQU groups to have more inclusive programming. All of that happened in twenty nineteen, so that was before she kind of made the statement that made it clear that she wanted more Love of the Lord in her programming. And she said this thing which was very coded but clear, which is she was like, Hallmark is now a completely different network than when I started, thanks to a change in leadership by Candace.
Speaker 2: By Candace yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, honestly, I don't miss her, but this was like a big thing in the Hallmark universe.
Speaker 3: So I think I I mean, I have no connection to Hallmark movies whatsoever except for one thing, which is that my friends that I grew up with Neil bloodsoe we went to high school together.
Speaker 2: He's like a pretty.
Speaker 3: Well known Hallmark actor or like this type of still family versus Hallmark whatever, Like he was on very you know, he was a successful actor in other realms, and he started doing Hallmark movies. He starred at one point in something with Winnie Cooper whose name I forget, but who you mentioned earlier, Dank and mckeller, Oh yeah, Dank and mckeller.
Speaker 2: And then when this all.
Speaker 3: Was happening, he took a stand and was like, I'm out. If you can't support LGBTQ issues, that's not a network that I want.
Speaker 2: To be involved in.
Speaker 3: And so there were all these headlines about Neil my high school dance tolo date.
Speaker 2: Being the right kind of ally.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I just googled this and you're right, So this is actually exactly what we're talking about. Neil, I guess had also gone over to Great American Family. So basically Great American Family was started by this guy who used to run Hallmark, this guy Bill Abbott, who sort of created this concept, and after all of this stuff happens with the lesbian ad, he abruptly leaves the channel in February of twenty twenty, and he starts trying to recruit the famous actors of Hallmark to come over to Great American Family, which he sort of strategically says is going to be more traditional, but never explicitly says that it's not going to have inclusion or LGBTQ, etc. So when Candice makes these remarks two years later, it becomes a controversy, and Neil was, I guess signed on to make some films with the Great American Family Channel, and he said he would no longer do that, So hopefully he's still making Hallmark movies and wants to come on and tell us all about that, because I want to hear everything about that experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm curious. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, now, aren't you more curious about what it's like to be part of this world?
Speaker 2: Kind of?
Speaker 1: Not? Really? Well, Neil, I really appreciate you, even if your friend Jessica from high school can't understand why.
Speaker 2: No, I appreciate what he did. I just don't know that I need to watch the movie anyhow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so is there a movie that you're currently watching right now?
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, I don't like always even watch a movie to the end. Sometimes I'll just watch take an hour of it and finish. Like I'm not like Dvring.
Speaker 2: The movie I gotcha.
Speaker 1: I'm not like, in the middle of a movie, I'm trying to think if I watched anything last night. I mean, I'll just sort of flip through channels and sometimes there'll be one that I know. There's another famous canvas Cameron beret one where she plays twins, like she plays both parts. They're sisters that are estranged and they swap lives, and for some reason, even though that movie is very bad, I love it. So whenever that's on, I watch it. There's a lot of theme around Royalty, so it'll be like small town girl gets asked to be a nanny in fake European country like Genovia, you know, and she'll go there to be the nanny, and she'll fall in love with like her charges brother who happens to be the prince, you know. Okay, there's a lot of these kind of Yeah, I mean, essentially that's what it is. It's a fairy tale about what life could be like in a fantasy. I remember once I actually brought this up with my therapist, like it was a holiday season where I was feeling a little depressed and I was like, I just like, why don't I have a family like this? And she was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's deranged, Like these are fantasies.
Speaker 1: Nobody has families like this, Like this is not the real world. And yeah, I mean honestly, what I thought in that moment is I can't believe I people someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, get out of New York City, you careerist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you think that? I take it.
Speaker 3: You can take your baker boyfriend with you, because clearly he belongs in a small town.
Speaker 2: Open up your little bagel shop.
Speaker 1: And I just want you to know that I do want to move to a small town and open up a bagel shop. And Mike is like, no, I want to live in New York, Like why would I want to go to some small town. So I don't know, he's just like refusing to participate in my fantasy. But okay, I guess that's a happy ending of its own, because I'm pretty sure if I ended up in some small town. I'd be tearing my hair out in like a week.
Speaker 2: So or maybe you would love it, maybe I would love it.
Speaker 1: I think we can leave this episode here. Do you feel like you know everything you need to know about Hallmark movies? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I know enough, and I will file this away in my head and I'm still never going to watch them.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, I feel like my job here is done.
Speaker 2: Then great work, Happy holidays, Susie.
Speaker 3: Just before we wrap this episode up, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge some of the ideas that our listeners have been sending in. So every week we've been asking you to tell us what you think we should explore, and as we wrap up season one, we're getting ready to tackle all of these new subjects for season two.
Speaker 2: And we love some of these ideas that have been sent in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we've had such great response, and I just want you guys to know we read every email and every DM and I love all of them. And I always say that I kind of want to write a thank you note, like a handwritten thank you note to all of you. So if you DM me your address, I probably will do that. But yeah, let's go so over some of these ideas because you know, we have great episodes coming up, but hopefully there'll be an opportunity to incorporate some of these. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One that I am really excited about came from Beth Lipton, who actually sent it a couple of great ones about Lilith Fair and the riot girl.
Speaker 2: Era of the nineties. I was always so upset I didn't go to Lilith Fair.
Speaker 1: I know too. I mean I have seen Indigo Girls in concert like five times, so I feel like it's kind of the closest you're going to get to Lill Affair. But I am really sad I missed it.
Speaker 3: And there has been a funny TikTok going around recently of a young person being like, what there was a festival that was all women, So I think good fodder for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also maybe it will inspire someone to make another Lill Affair, like I would totally go to that. Now that's sent in another good idea about doing something around Sandy's transition in Greece, like how she had to become a bad girl together die And I love that. There's a great thing in here about something I don't know about, but I feel like, I should do a lot of research on which is Mariah Carey's Glitter Meltdown. I'm like, I want to know everything about that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is from Maddy Lambert, Yes, that's Maddie. We'll look cut up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good one.
Speaker 3: But all of these are so great and we hope people and listeners will keep keep sending them because we really do look into them and maybe we'll pursue them.
Speaker 1: So thank you, yeah, thank you so much. We really love all of you. This is in Retrospect. Thanks for listening. Is there a cultural moment you can't stop thinking about and want us to explore in a future episode. Email us at Inretropod at gmail dot com, or find us on Instagram at in retropod.
Speaker 3: If you love this podcast, please rate and review us on Apple or Spotify or wherever you listen. If you hate it, you can post nasty comments on our Instagram, which we may or may not delete.
Speaker 1: You can also find us on Instagram at Jessica Bennett and at suzb NYC. Also check out Jessica's books Feminist Fight Club and This Is eighteen.
Speaker 3: In Retrospect is a production of iHeart Podcasts and the Media. Lauren Hanson is our supervising producer. Derek Clements is our engineer and sound designer. Sharon Attiya is our researcher and associate producer.
Speaker 1: Our executive producer from the media is Cindy Levy. Our executive producers from iHeart are Anna Stump and Katrina Norvelle. Our artwork is from Pentagram, additional editing help from Mary Doo and Mike Coscarelli. Sound correction and mastering by Amanda Rose Smith. We are your hosts Susie Banacarum.
Speaker 2: And Jessica Bennett. We're also executive producers. For even more, check out in retropod dot com. See you next week.