Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two on.
Speaker 2: This Thursday, Deathbed Confessionals. We stumbled upon that at the end of last hour. We'll explore that we've been talking about that during the commercial break.
Speaker 3: Come on in stay a while.
Speaker 2: Yes, Fritzi is here, Seaton, Marv, Pauliers, truly the backroom guys as well. New poll question coming up. Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk on the smear campaign with Shador Sanders. Also, we'll talk to Jim Jackson, former NBA player, get his thoughts on the best duo in the NBA. I said, it's Luca and Lebron because Lebron is playing as a top ten player, maybe top seven, maybe top five, and then you put Luca in there when Luca is able to play like he normally does.
Speaker 3: Is there a better duo?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You could say Tatum and Jalen Brown, and I'd have no argument with that. They're obviously a very very dangerous tandem. Joker Jamal Murray. I mean, there's a couple of teams that you can go down the list and say, all right, those two guys are really really good. But Luca and Lebron with the way they're playing now. They got the Knicks in town tonight and I got the Lakers favored by four and a half according to DraftKings stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America, the official trading cards of the program. And our garage sales going on our yard sale, our tag sale. We're clearing out inventory and you can pick up some great deals at Danpatrick dot com. UH eight seven to seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your calls. And good morning those watching on Peacock. Some of the headlines here. As I mentioned with last hour, we talked a lot of football, and we talked, you know, the guys who are coming and going. The fact that Joey Bosa got released. Max Crosby is now the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL, at least for the time being. Sam Darnold is he going to re sign with the Vices and if not, where would he end up. Daniel Jeremiah, the draft expert for NFL Network, said he could see maybe the Colts stepping in because the Colts are ready to win now. But DK Metcalf wants a trade, and the Chiefs traded one of their more decorated offensive linemen, Joe Toney to the Bears, Alex Ovechkin is nine behind the great one. Cabs had won twelve in a row, and as I mentioned, the Knicks at the Lakers coming up tonight. Deathbed confessionals, we were talking a couple of these, and we had a listener who said, you know, would you want to know Michael Jordan the flu game. That's not what I want to know from Michael and his death bed. I want to know did the commissioner suspend you for gambling? Pete Rose, I already know what that story is. Barry Bonds, do you care if he said, you know I did use steroids?
Speaker 3: I don't care. I already know it. So you know what is the mystery?
Speaker 2: And then Paulie goes, you know who I would love to hear the truth from, and I go who? And he goes Manti Tao and I go, well, wait a minute, he got catfished, but he was at Notre Day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulie, I've seen an interviewer two. He's had a nice media career going on right now. But man, that story, when the Manti Tao story broke, that still is jaw dropping. Everything that happened that two or three month period. I would I've got about six questions.
Speaker 6: I would like to just check off the box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he just got catfish. That's all.
Speaker 2: He had an imaginary girlfriend. But they did, didn't they answer everything in the documentary.
Speaker 6: I guess I got him. It's just fascinating.
Speaker 2: He's not the first guy to get catfish, but he's probably the first Heisman candidate to get cat He is the.
Speaker 5: First Heisman Trophy candidate to show up to New York and have that star story told on National TV that he knew was false when he walked in the Heisman ceremony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, but he just got down too far down the rabbit hole. He was embarrassed, Like what do you say, Hey, I really don't have a girlfriend. Hey I have an imaginary girlfriend. Hey my girlfriend just died. Like it was one of those where it happened and then all of a sudden, you didn't realize that it.
Speaker 3: Was going to be that big.
Speaker 2: But it's Notre Dame Heisman candidate, and all of a sudden you're trying to defend, explain what happened.
Speaker 3: He just got catfished.
Speaker 2: He believed that he was communicated with somebody who was his girlfriend or going to be his girlfriend or wanted to be his girlfriend. And then then when you watch the documentary, like, man, there's other layers to this. This is really really deep and Mantiteo. I'm happy for him. He's got a good career. I think he's been doing some stuff NFL Network, charismatic guy. But yeah, that's still one of those where and I wonder if his friends. I don't know if he's married. I think he's married now. But did they joke with him if they met one of his girlfriends or he said he had a girlfriend, They're like, oh, can we meet her?
Speaker 3: Can? Can you?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Can your buddies do that to you?
Speaker 8: You've got to be very very very good friends.
Speaker 3: What hey, look at that? So let me pinch you.
Speaker 2: Sally, Hey, you're real. This is a little joke from before. Yeah, wait, what are they talking about? Man, Tie, it's nothing. I had imaginary friend. We all have imaginary friends, don't we didn't we that's all. He had an imaginary friend. It turned out to be a girlfriend that wasn't a girlfriend.
Speaker 5: Yes, PAULI one more NBA mystery that I know you know about and covered, Uh, did Patrick Ewing? Did the NBA get Patrick Ewing to the Knicks? Was the nineteen eighty five NBA Draft lottery fix?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, because.
Speaker 5: People could see how the NBA would want it to be fixed. You can't exaggerate how big Ewing was at the time, and to go to the Knicks that needed a breath of life.
Speaker 2: And even though David Stern rest his soul is dead, I still feel like he could somehow come back and haunt me if I even talk about this. I remember talking to him and I remember him telling me to shut up. I'm with him in his office and we were just talking about you know, NBA top you know, a variety of things. And I said, you know I was there in eighty five and he said where. I said, at the at the lottery and he goes, oh, Patrick, don't tell me you're one of those guys who thinks. And I go, well, I'm just curious, like, could you friend homeboy. I'm I'm already nervous saying this because you know, Stern would yell at me, you know, you could freeze the car. And he goes, shut up, and I said, but you know that was shut up and I was like, okay, all right, and I'm thinking you could freeze the car. That was the big story. Did they put the Knicks card in the refrigerator? So when David was, you know, rifling through to find out you know what order that he felt that card and then the next won the lottery.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Seen, that's another one that sets up for massive deathbed disappointment for me.
Speaker 3: Was the lottery fixed?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 8: And then that's it, Like, oh crap, all this time I thought it was fixed.
Speaker 3: It wasn't. Yeah, but what if it was? What if they truly fixed it?
Speaker 2: If you're the commissioner, you want to have a star in New York, you want the Knicks to be competitive.
Speaker 3: Why didn't they keep doing that place? Couldn't they rigged the draft a little more for them?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Okay, going back to when Lebron was eighteen, would you have fixed it for him to go to Cleveland or elsewhere? If you were fixing that draft.
Speaker 2: I would have Well, the Calves did fix it. They tanked so they could get the number one pick. Would I would have had him be in Cleveland? He's from Cleveland. You got to have other franchises that are healthy competitive. I mean, you want to play the hits. You want to have Philly, Boston, New York DC. But you know you got the hometown kid, and that's why they were tanking. And I don't think anybody had a problem with it back then. It's like, yeah, they're losing, they want to get Lebron keep them in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seen, where are we fixing the draft for Cooper Flag? I wouldn't send him to d C.
Speaker 2: Although when you think Flag and patriotism, Washington d C. But I wouldn't do that to that kid. That's where i'd go. You know, I really like college. I'm proud to be Washington Wizard. Where at least I know I can play.
Speaker 3: The Cooper Flag. Where would I put him? Not Charlot.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say San Antonio because it I don't know that people would be angry that the Spurs won the lottery Again. He wouldn't be in a big market, but I got him with dearon Fox and Victor Wembenyama.
Speaker 3: I would love that. I would I would love that.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Point, here are the top six teams for the NBA Draft. You got to pick one of them to fix it. For Cooper Flag Washington, Charlotte, Utah, New Orleans, Toronto, Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're in New York, you're not. If you're in Brooklyn, you're not in New York. You know, he would be a guy that would get some national TV games, but not a good team Cooper Flag and Zion, the the Dookies.
Speaker 3: Maybe DC Charlotte, MM Toronto, Utah m r m hm.
Speaker 9: Yes, Marton, another year in Durham sounds pretty nice. Yes, it does, especially with Nio. Yeah, I wonder what he's making now.
Speaker 2: And you know, you get Gatorade or Nike or whoever, and he gets an endorsement deal.
Speaker 3: Let's say you make five million dollars.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's already got the New Balance sneaker deal.
Speaker 2: Also, Oh okay, so if he's getting at least four million, if he decides to stay, maybe he gets seven eight million, And then you take your chances that, Okay. Who is going to be bad next year? Washington, Utah, Toronto, Toronto. He's gonna be like, oh damn uh all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email at to a s DP Atdanpatrick dot com.
Speaker 3: That's kind of ugly, is it is?
Speaker 8: None of that's really ideal.
Speaker 9: Yes, at least college basketball will have a returning superstar if he if he does decide to come back, I doubt it, but if he.
Speaker 2: Does, uh KD in Texas leads us off? Hi, KD, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: DP, what's going on now?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 4: First time, long time, sixty one to sixty. I just wanted to call it, like, thanks man. I listen to y'all every morning. Y'all pretty much start my day off right every day. But speaking up this Cooper Black. Surely if they're gonna rig it, they got to rig it for Dallas after that Lupe trade.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I guess I guess.
Speaker 2: You want him to be able to be on a good team instead of Hey, I'm going to tune in because I did this with the Spurs. The Spurs weren't a good team, but I wanted to see when Ben Yama. I don't you know, it's tough to watch a game when you're only watching one player on the other team and go, yeah, this is entertaining. They're down fourteen at the end of the first quarter. But and you know, we're going to find out the greatness of lin Ben Yama now because he's got Dearon Fox. And that's the thing that the Spurs didn't do. They didn't have a really good point guard there, even Chris Paul. Now they do. Castle is a really good player, but you know Dearon Fox is he's an All Star and now you're going to find out how good Victor can be. You got to have players around you, plain and simple. I mean, Joker has to have somebody to throw it to. To get all these assists, you have to have some kind of talent there. And that's the problem with Cooper Flag. You go to Washington, you know, at least New Orleans you got Zion there, and Zion has played really well. The question is does he want to be there? And do they want to Now that's a team where you can say, could they have the same approach to Zion that Dallas did to Luca of do you want to give him three hundred and fifty million dollars? I would have more questions about Zion moving forward than I would have Luca because we saw Luca be out of shape, but he at least played when he was out of shape, and he played at a really high level. And they went to the NBA Finals, a year ago, Genie Buss had a comment on the trade that got them Luca, and Genie Buss was interviewed on NPR's morning edition and she said, Hey, we couldn't get past Denver. We had to do something different. Anthony Davis was complaining he didn't want to be a sinner, wanted to be a forward, and Genie Buss says, we gave up a lot to get Luca. We're happy we have him. We'd lost the last two years in a row to the Nuggets. We really didn't have anything that was going to look different going into the playoffs again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think it was a big decision to try aid whatever you traded for Luca. But that's where, if you know, you got to have a humble brag there. If you're Genie Boss, you're like, you know, and we gave up a lot, we did. You don't want to be like, can you believe we got Luca and that's all we gave up, because that's what you're thinking.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, what do they want?
Speaker 6: They want?
Speaker 3: Ad Max Christy, what are they serious?
Speaker 9: Do it? Do it?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 3: Rob do it? Now? You imagine you hang up the phone. You gotta be gigly, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 9: What decision is worse? I'm gonna maybe not decision. But if you're the Giants GM with Saquan or if you're the Dallas GM with Luca, what's gonna age worse?
Speaker 3: Well, they got embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Imagine if Nico Harrison was doing the deal and he was on TV on camera, that would be great. If he's like a genie, You interested in Luca and then you put your hand over the phone.
Speaker 9: Are we interested in?
Speaker 3: I don't know, every be.
Speaker 6: Quite be question?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe why what are you proposing?
Speaker 9: I think it's real thing?
Speaker 2: Oh, Anthony Davis, Max Christy, Holy you know, I'm gonna have to run this up the flagpole there. I'm gonna have to talk to Rob and JJ and you know, just make sure it's gonna work. Okay, but we got to act on this now. Okay, you know what. I'll get back to you in fifteen seconds.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'd better think about it first.
Speaker 2: But I would just love to know at least if you're the Lakers, you have to have you have to have pause where you go why are they getting rid of this guy? That first thing I would think of Why are they getting rid of him? Because you have to ask that, why, yes.
Speaker 10: Tod, what if a Bill Belichick type with the Mavericks coach, then you're like, wait a second, something's very EFFICI.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: If Jerry West was calling good, then I would go or red our box. Then I would go, uh oh, something's not right here. All right, Mike Floria will join us. We'll get to more phone calls. I think we touched on deathbed confessional. We'll get to more phone calls coming up back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 7: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 3: Something, right.
Speaker 7: So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 7: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 7: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and contributed to NBC's Football Night in America. All three of Mike's novels, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and On Our Way Home Just ninety nine cents ebooks on Amazon. Mike, we stumbled upon something thanks to one of our callers, deathbed confessionals in sports. If I said NFL deathbed confessional, who do you want to hear from to solve a mystery?
Speaker 7: Wow? Boy, I had never really thought about that. For years, it was the whole did frenchi Fuku touch the ball before it caramed into the hands of Frank o'harris for the immaculate reception? But that was fifty years ago. Nobody cares about that anymore. I need to think that through a bit more. There's got to be something Brady and Belichick related that we'd love to know the answer to, and we may never know the answer to.
Speaker 3: Malcolm Butler.
Speaker 7: Possibly there's a good one. What happened with Malcolm Butler? They'd have another ring if they had just used Malcolm Butler at all in Super Bowl fifty two in Minnesota when they lost to the Eagles. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: What do you think happened?
Speaker 7: Something happened that pissed off Bill Belichick to the point that he made a personal decision, not a best interest to the team decision, and he wanted to send a message. He wanted to show Malcolm Butler whose boss, and ended up doing something that he believed would cost the team the game, but that many believe cost the team the game.
Speaker 2: All right, let's look at what's happened so far since the Super Bowl. Biggest surprise so far is what or who?
Speaker 7: Well, based upon the way Travis Kelsey was talking right after the Super Bowl, if you're that far down the road of retirement and his comments on the New Heights podcast just a few days after the Super Bowl, Man Dan, it sounded like he was done. It sounded like he was walking and he was just coming to terms with it, and in a few weeks we'd find out that he was moving on. The fact that he so quickly decided to come back really surprised me. And I've seen some suggestion that he was ill for the Super Bowl. Of course, illnesses don't always get disclosed on the injury report, so we didn't know he was sick. But if that explains why it kind of looked at times like he was just going through the motions out there, maybe that maybe that helps just and explain why he feels so determined to come back and go out on a higher note. Hard to get back to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: But with the.
Speaker 7: Chiefs, they get to the ANFC Championship game every year, so he may have a chance to walk off into the sunset with yet another rank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get players who chase their tail because you don't want to go out that way, but there's only one team that wins the Super Bowl. Is he okay with going out by playing a really good game in a loss.
Speaker 3: That's what I would be curious about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think you're right, And it's gonna be hard for the Chiefs this year. They got a lot of work to do. The gap between them and the Eagles was made abundantly clear at the Super Bowl. So I think it's a combination of love of the sport and look, Dan, you got the rest of your life to do whatever you're gonna do next, And we know he's gonna do great things. Once you stop playing, it's done, it's gone, and it's never coming back unless you're Brett Farv. But even then, at some point it ends and it's done and it's never coming back. So I can understand why he wants to keep doing the thing he loves if he feels like he can keep doing it, because for the rest of the life his life, once he retires, he won't be doing it.
Speaker 3: Biggest story out of the combine was what.
Speaker 7: Well you mean the thriller in Vanilla Latte? That wasn't that weird When that all happened like I was both dismayed by and proud of the fact that I actually did reporting to find out what happened, why had happened, Who said what to whom?
Speaker 3: Okay, give us the background on it, Well, it was the whole.
Speaker 7: Jordan Schultz of Fox Ian Rappaport of NFL Media, they had an encounter at a Starbucks in Indy, which makes it a great coincidence because Jordan Schultz's dad was the CEO of Starbucks as it became a worldwide brand, and one guy got the other guy's face, some words were exchanged, words we can't say on an FCC regulated broadcast, and NFL Security was alerted. NFL Security investigated. And the thing about the combine is every year it's lather, rinse, repeat the same stuff. This guy's you know, this guy can't work out, this guy's not working out, and then every four or five years there's one that pops. And this is the one that popped because my wife said to me, number one, why do you care? And number two, why does anyone else care? It's like they just do things like this that are so different from the usual NFL news grind and are fascinating and bizarre and KOOKI. Everybody goes nuts for that.
Speaker 2: Have you been confronted by another member of the media or a player or GM or coach.
Speaker 7: Oh, I've been confronted verbally by several not people in the media per se. Usually it's by text, usually coaches, players, etc. It's by text. But I've had I've had an awkward encounter or two in the twenty years i've been doing this. And I'll leave it at that. Oh, I had come on, it's old news, you know, care's been like nine years ago. Dirt Cutter, remember Dirt Cutter, the former Buccaneers coach at the league meetings, and I think it was in Florida that year. I had asked him a question when I interviewed him when he got the job two months earlier, and I never heard boo after the fact that he was upset, So me, like an idiot, I go bound it over to him like a sheep dog. Hey, Dirk, how are you? And I got the verbal uppercut about the BS question, although he didn't say BS that I asked him, And he'll never do another interview with me, and he went on and on. Usually I've learned that if you just take it it peters out and then you find a way to flip it into something positive. That's the one guy who I let him chew on me. And then when it was done, I thought maybe I can flip it. No, it didn't flip, and it was never flipped. And that's my Dirk Cutter story.
Speaker 2: He's Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live co host and you can see that program on Peacock preceding hours. The wide receiver market here free agency wise, you got DK Metcalf, you got well Debo going to the Commanders, you got DeVante Adams going to be out there, got a few of these players. Why all of a sudden, this flood of the market.
Speaker 7: Well, you've got older players who have contracts that no longer match their current skills and abilities and more importantly, what their projected skills and abilities are. And DeVante Adams is no surprise. When he was traded to the Raiders three years ago, he did a five year contract with two and this is a technical term phony Baloni back end years that were just aimed at bumping up the average. So they said, oh, he got twenty eight million dollars a year. Yeah, but the last two years of thirty five point sixty four million each year. That deal was never going to go beyond year three, and if he was going to stay with the Raiders, it would have been a major redo and restructuring. But when you're with the Jets and he's not going to do a restructuring with the Jets, Aaron Rodgers has gone. He was always going to be cut, and now he's available. He's not going to get thirty five million a year. He'll get good money. He's still got gas in the tank and he's available to anyone who wants to get him. And all the Jets have to show for that third round pick is eleven games during which they went three and eight, and I'm sure they'd love to get that third round pick back and have never done that trade.
Speaker 3: What's the market for Sam Darnald Now?
Speaker 7: Nobody really knows, because the big question is can what Sam Donald did last year with Kevin O'Connell drawing up the plays with Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison and TJ. Hawkinson catching the passes, can that be duplicated somewhere else or does he revert to the seeing ghosts Sam Donald from early in his career that Monday night game when he was with the Jets against the Patriots. So if you make a major financial investment in Donald and you can't replicate what happened in Minnesota, you made a mistake. I mean Donald, and I think a lot of it had to do with how it ended that Week eighteen game that everybody saw he got the yips at the worst possible time, biggest game of his life, and then the Vikings didn't show up across the board in the playoff game. That's the caveat now, and I think that's why the Vikings are still kind of lurking as they figure out do we go with Donald where we know what the floor is, maybe the ceiling isn't as high as we'd like, or do we go with the guy that we don't know what he's gonna because he hasn't played yet in JJ McCarthy and I have a feeling they're really wrestling Internally, people who have been dealing with the Vikings come away with the conclusion that they don't know who's running the show and calling the shots, but they're gonna have to make a decision fairly soon. They might let Donald go out there and see what's available or what's not available, and then maybe whatever they have budgeted is kind of a low ball number. Maybe that's what he takes and that makes the decision for them, But there is some dismay. And if he does like a two year deal to stay in Minnesota and the Vikings say, we'll just do the Aaron Rodgers, Jordan love JJ McCarthy sits for three years, I believe that's not going to go over well with McCarthy, and the next domino could be McCarthy saying I want out.
Speaker 2: Let me give you this scenario. I'd say, you're the Giant and you have the third pick. You could maybe sign Sam Darnald and then take Travis Hunter, or you could go up and get cam Ward. Now I got Molik neighbors, I'd have Travis Hunter and I have Sam Darnald. We're already a whole lot better than we were last year, and I don't have to get rid of draft capital. Or I can go up and I got to spend a little bit of you know, draft capital to get cam Ward, and I got a rookie contract.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: What would you do.
Speaker 7: Well, here's the problem with the Giants. You've got an owner who's decided to keep GM, Joe Shane and Brian Daball. But the owner also said, I've just about run out of patience, so through what prison or decisions being made in New York. Is it we just got to put something together this year and get to the playoffs and we'll worry about twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven when they come, or is it we're trying to lay the foundation for a long term contender. And this is what happens with this function teams. And I gotta give the Giants credit. They've somehow won a couple of Super Bowls this century, but by and large they're basically the same as the Jets, and there is dysfunction there. And the ultimate dysfunction is having coach and GM clearly on the hot seat and thus motivated to make short term decisions, because long term decisions don't help help us if we're not here to see the fruits of them. That's the challenge for the organization. The best long term approach is stabilized the quarterback position for years to come. The worst long term approach is to grab this short term shiny object like Aaron Rodgers and try to put a playoff run together, and then next year it's like, what do we do? I don't know. That's not good for the Giants over the long haul.
Speaker 2: You and Chris Sims talked to Shador Sanders. What four days ago, five days ago at the combine? What was your takeaway after the conversation?
Speaker 7: Great personality, magnetic and see that his dad is Dion Sanders, very worldly, kind of mature beyond his years, knows how to deal with people very well, a lot of emotional intelligence. I was impressed with him, but I knew it was gonna happen. The chatter's already begun, and I think the chatter stems from one very simple fact. When we had Deon Sanders at the Super Bowl, I pressed him on this question of are you ever interested in coaching in the NFL? Because he's given different answers over the past couple of years about that, and he told us the only way he would ever coach in the NFL is if he was coaching his son. That creates for some coaches, I think a hesitation to ever sign off on your team drafting should or Sanders because you might be signing your own pink slip because Dion ends up being the coach of the team that should ar Sanders goes to. At least that's one of the concerns that one of these coaches would have. So I think that's where some of this noise is coming from. You've got coaches who are thinking, wait a minute, I don't want to have Deon Sanders hovering over me if we have his son as our quarterback. And I think the four D chess that Dion might be playing here. By saying what he said, you scare away the coaches of the dysfunctional teams, the coaches who would be worried about outside noise from Dion, and maybe you engineer a little slide down to a team where it is stable, it isn't dysfunctional, and the coach is sufficiently secure and confident that he's not worried about the possibility that Dion Sanders would want to become the coach of the team that his son's playing for. So it could work out well for Shador. The noise that's going to start, and it's already started, it could cause him to drop, but he could drop into a good spot. Not a team with a history of derailing the careers of young quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Paulie and I have a pie to the face bet Shador Sanders over under first five and a half picks.
Speaker 7: Wow, I would say at this point he will and I don't know what over unders. I guess it's over. I think that his window opens with the Raiders at six.
Speaker 3: Okay, don't you owe us a pie to the face?
Speaker 9: MinC.
Speaker 7: I think I owe you a couple? Yeah, thanks, yeah, yeah, and I'm hoping you.
Speaker 3: I know you don't want to hurt the hair, but I mean at some point I.
Speaker 7: Don't want to knock off the two pey.
Speaker 2: Your hair looks great. Thank you, just like Tom Brady's thank you. Yeah, mine's real.
Speaker 7: I don't know about his. Mine's real. My wife says, from Tom to Tom, you should just shave your head so everyone can see it's not a two pay. I am afraid of two things. Number one, it might not grow back, and number two, Dan, I am afraid that my head is misshapen, and I don't want to find out along with the rest of the world that it is not.
Speaker 3: Everybody looks like Michael Jordan with their head shaved.
Speaker 7: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: Scotty Pippen, I think had his head shaved one time, and I was like, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna be at the draft in Green Bay?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've been to the draft since the last time it was in New York. It's so much easier to work it from home because the only people at the draft are the people who run the cards to the to the podium. Now the players are there, but it had gotten harder and harder to get good access to them for interviews and stuff ahead of time. And we'll just do zoom interviews with them and I'll do it all from here. I go down to the barn and we do videos after every pick and it's much more effective here.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you once again. All three of Mike's novels, Father of Mine, Son of Mine, and On Our Way Home just ninety nine cent ebooks on Amazon. Thank you, Michael, Thanks Dan, Mike Florio ProFootball Talk dot com. You can see that show with Chris Sims prior to hours on Peacock every morning. We'll come back deathbed confessionals that you're interested in sports wise. I just had a friend send me one that's really spicy or as he says, juice have that for you coming up, and we play the popular game that's sweeping the country. It's called in or Out. You're either in or out.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAPP deathbed Confessional sports wise. Friend of mine sent this in during cal Ripkin's consecutive game streak. Did the Orioles cut the power to the stadium in one game because there might have been an incident between cal Ripkin and Kevin Costner and that he hurt his hand?
Speaker 3: Do you remember this? The consecutive game streak? The rumor?
Speaker 2: And I don't know enough about it. I know enough, but not enough enough about it. I remember the story as I was working at the Mother Show. We're like, wait, the lights went out.
Speaker 3: It's uh an ugly story. Yes it is. It's not good, it's not great, but.
Speaker 2: But we they the night the power went out at Camden Yards and so the consecutive game streak would continue.
Speaker 9: Uh de I.
Speaker 2: Is that a Kevin Costner deathbed confessional? Cal Ripken deathbed confessional.
Speaker 3: Dang, that's an ugly story.
Speaker 2: Now it's dark and then my friend signs it juicy. All right, yeah, okay, I see what you did there to thank you bull bleep Durham. Yeah, okay, alrighty, alrighty. Time to play the popular game. It's called in, in or out. You're either in or out, PAULI give us the topics here.
Speaker 5: Again, Dan, you say in if you're in, out, if you're out. I'm gonna start in the back row. The running back position in the NFL is hot again. Fritzy in on that, absolutely, see in hot, Marvin.
Speaker 2: In in in in Yeah, yeah, you're gonna have You're gonna have two running backs in the first round.
Speaker 6: I'm in in in temporarily hot or hot hot.
Speaker 3: I hope it's hot hot hot.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe they're they're coming back there we go, okay, in in in.
Speaker 5: Sam Donald's free agency has cooled dramatically Backron.
Speaker 9: I am in on that as well.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna say I'm out on that because I don't believe it was ever hot to get it.
Speaker 12: I think that was a media creation. Think that Paulie kept this alive. I no, I do think paul kept this alive. I think the media kept Sam Donald's appeal alive. I know, I don't think that the football teams were actually hot.
Speaker 5: In November and December, he threw eighteen touchdowns and two picks and then had two no show games in the season.
Speaker 8: He also had years and years and years and years of statistics before that.
Speaker 2: Marvin, are you in around? I'm in I'm in on the market cooling. I don't know if the market was as hot to begin with, but I do think that there was the Hey, Sam Donald, they brought in Sam Donald to be a backup, did JJ McCarthy. The Vikings didn't even know what they had, and they may not know what they have. But Mike Florio said he could see a scenario where Sam Darnold at a reduced rate comes back in place for the Vikings. Now, if I'm Sam Donald and I can go anywhere, I would want to go back to Minnesota with that head coach and those wide receivers ab absolutely, even for less money than going to the Raiders or going to the Giants.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 5: Think I'm out on that because the clock would be ticking on your time with that team. Eventually they're going to go with McCarthy eventually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, what you're saying. I don't know how many choices he had best chance to play well. Yes, but you.
Speaker 2: Can showcase yourself for the next team in two years.
Speaker 5: We are playing the Sam Darnold game next week early next week. My total value of his contract.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're gonna have to pick out an outfit for that day.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go in or out. Now, you're not a football player, You're just a civilian. I would like to be built like DK Metcalf, but I don't play sports.
Speaker 6: I'm just built like him.
Speaker 3: And what's the downside?
Speaker 5: You're stunningly jacked and there's not a big purpose for it if you're not.
Speaker 2: Paring to walk around without a shirt on. Hell, I'd walk around without clothes.
Speaker 6: On back row.
Speaker 10: I'm totally in on that. I can pass on being some great athlete if I can be looking like that.
Speaker 3: Seatan, No, I'm out. You don't want to look like DK Metcalf. I don't want to be six four and not athletic.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be built like that and like like and then like when you see me throw a ball, it looks like this.
Speaker 9: Yes, I don't want that.
Speaker 6: I was seating. I'm out.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want my ethnic ability in that package?
Speaker 3: Whoa packaging? Marvin gotcha?
Speaker 9: Oh mile two? I can't have that physique and work of Verizon, right.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, when I go out to the bar tonight, I think I'd be okay. Well, if I go to the beach, I'd be okay.
Speaker 5: Do you think girls like eight nine? Girls like then that eight nine category? Like a guy like Dk Metcalf, who's stunningly good looking in jacked.
Speaker 2: I've been married for thirty seven years and I still don't understand. I mean, I'm still trying to and I have three daughters. I think he's in too good a shape. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I try. It's a moving target, yes, Todd.
Speaker 10: So if a girl sees a hot Dk metcap on the beach but he just can't seem to catch that frisbee or is having a tough time tracking down that nerf football, like, oh my god, I thought he was hot.
Speaker 2: I don't think a woman is gonna go. You know, he can't throw a frisbee. It'd be like, damn, he can't throw a frisbee. But it doesn't matter, honey.
Speaker 9: He was so good looking, but he can't catch the ball about.
Speaker 3: It all right?
Speaker 1: In or out?
Speaker 5: Paul, here we go, Damn Cooper Flagg should refuse to play for Washington if they get the number one pick.
Speaker 2: Wait all, okay Ton out, Seaton out, Marvin out, I'm out.
Speaker 6: But then your career goes in underwater.
Speaker 3: You play, you play?
Speaker 6: Uh, here's one.
Speaker 5: Lebron James will play longer than both Steph Curry and Kevin Durant In or out, Fritzy.
Speaker 8: Out, Oh man, I think I'm out because Kevin Durant plays longer.
Speaker 6: Marvin I'm out.
Speaker 2: Also, could you see a scenario when all three bow out in three years.
Speaker 6: Or all four on the same team.
Speaker 2: I think Durant will play a little bit longer and maybe Steph then Lebron. Although I see no reason for Lebron to go, let me put a timeframe on this. Interer out continue In or out.
Speaker 5: Wayne Gretzky's legacy is safer than Michael Jordan's legacy In or out.
Speaker 10: Ritzy I'm gonna say in because again the whole debate with Lebron MJ. Gretzky doesn't really have that person that people bring up next to Gretzky's name, Seaton.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be out on that.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 8: I think Michael Jordan is pretty much cemented as the king of all sports.
Speaker 9: I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm out because more people have written, more things, said, more things, documentary, the Last Dance. I mean, there's so much there with Michael Jordan, and he put that out to remind people of you know, a younger generation of just he's the greatest of all time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Right, when you look across the sports landscape, I know that one is playing and one is branding. But like Derek Jeter wore the Jordan logo, MESSI, where's the Jordan logo? Like all of the greats of every sport, where's the Jordan logo?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Poe, honest question, does Wayne Gretzky have to attend the game where Ovechkin's going to break his record?
Speaker 2: He doesn't have to, but he will because Wayne will do what's right for the sport.
Speaker 6: How many nights let's say Ovechkin goes on a.
Speaker 2: Coltst I think he's going to have to be there five nights, five nights following grade eight?
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, when do you start following him?
Speaker 9: What have these three goals away?
Speaker 10: And gets a hat trick? Oh, I missed it.
Speaker 2: I was going to go to next then you missed him. That's it, you tried. That's in or out. You're either in or you're out. Are Luke and Lebron the best duo in the NBA? We'll talk to Jim Jackson, our good buddy, former NBA player, now an analyst. More of your phone calls, deathbed sports confessionals. Never thought that would be on my bingo card today. Two hours in the books on this Thursday. One more to go.