Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob and this is Joe. Were we not saying our last names here? That's a change?
Speaker 2: Oh you know, no, I guess we should say our last names.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well you're Rob Lamb and I'm Joe McCormick. That's it.
Speaker 2: That sound okay, let's go with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it looks like this is our pilot episode. We're recording this here as a test. It may or may not see the light of day, but if you're listening to it, it obviously did.
Speaker 2: Now. We originally explored the idea of this being a standalone podcast series, but then we realized, now, the perfect place to try and roll this out would be like late night on a Friday, like at midnight. If they'd let us do that. I don't think they can to let us do that, but at any rate, Yeah, this is kind of a little bonus episode. It's not core Stuff to Blow your Mind content, but we are featuring it in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind feed on Fridays. I like to think of it as the asexual budding offspring of our science podcast stuff to blow your mind. Where Really, we've frequently over the years brought up various weird movies, generally as a means of sort of illustrating a particular scientific topic or making a particular scientific topic maybe a little more engaging, at least to us. So this is just more of the same, except we're putting the cart in front of the horse here. We're putting the movie weirdness ahead of any other concerns that would otherwise be engaged.
Speaker 3: That's right, We're putting the jack Palance in front of the horse here. Because for our inaugural episode here we are going to be talking about, without warning, a film from nineteen eighty that is so exquisite. I could not have asked for a better opening episode, Robert, you suggested this film having not seen it yourself, I believe. But when when I laid eyes on the trailer, I knew it was going to be love at first sight, and and my heart was true once I saw it. This film holds up. This is b trash for the ages.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and get a taste for this film. Let's listen to the trailer in its entirety.
Speaker 4: The Hunting Season has begun. But the Hunter isn't human, only the prey are. It came without warning, like nothing on this earth.
Speaker 2: Friends, I did.
Speaker 4: Beyond any known terror, because when it leaves this planet, no one may be left alive.
Speaker 3: Good time warning. When they start eating you, don't come to me for help.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: He came down with a spot he wants to give some of your t is not right now, You and me we are the prize game.
Speaker 4: The Hunter, the hunting that was no true, the thing that preys on human fear and feeds on human flesh from deepest space. It came, and now man is the endangered species. It came without warning, and now it's coming for you.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That was something. It's pretty wonderful for a number of reasons we're going to discuss in this episode, but for me personally, one of the things I liked about it is that while while the Internet is a wonderful means of discovering new weird films, you know, everything from b movies and exploitation films to art films and even blockbusters that didn't quite you know, bust the block back in the day, that sort of thing. But this is a film that I discovered the old fashioned Way on a video rental shelf I went to Atlanta's own video drome. I was perusing the horror and science fiction and there it was a videodrome.
Speaker 3: Is the holy temple of the show. It's been a sight of pilgrimage for us for quite some time. Yeah, and it's great that they're still operating even during these are dark times by a wonderful sort of exchange system that operates out of a table at the front door. And so you can just walk right up to them and say, give me something disgusting that reminds you of The Uninvited by Graydon Clark, and you may well get without warning.
Speaker 2: Yes, because this is a directed by great on Clark, all of that film, and we'll we'll touch based on him in a bit. But before we get any further, Joe, do you want to summarize this film for us? Give us a quick breakdown on the plot?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, the short version is that without warning, this is a movie that came out in nineteen eighty and it's Predator before Predator. When did the Schwarzenegger Predator come out, like eighty seven, eighty eight something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So this is Predator before Predator, except instead of a bug mouth gadget alien with like a laser cannon and dreadlocks, this is a fifty style big head alien, sort of a cross between the creepy clay monsters from Fire in the Sky and then just full camp Martians like the ones in Invasion of the Saucer Men. Big head a large alien compound eye is kind of a screeching a mouth. Does it make a noise? I think maybe at some point the does the Invasion of the Body Snatcher's screech?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes some sort of an animal noise at some point.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. And so instead of taking place in a vague Central American war zone, this is set somewhere in I think it's supposed to be the rural western US. I would guess rural California. And instead of Arnold Schwarzenegger and his team of commandos, you've got whiny hunters, You've got boy scouts who just sing incessantly, You've got makeout point teenes, and you've got Jack Palance. And Jack Palance, by the way, is a force of nature. In this movie. He plays a hunter. I guess half the characters are supposed to be hunters of some kind or another. We'll get to that more when we talk about the themes and message of the film later on. But Jack Palance is some kind of hunter who likes to kill animals, put their heads on the wall of his gas station, put them in jars, put them in formaldehyde. And when he talks in this film, he is human cocaine. Half of his lines are delivered literally quivering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a leathery intensity to this performance that, to a certain extent, you would expect from Palants. But yeah, he really brings it. There's not a sense that he missed call and phoned it in.
Speaker 3: But as for the basic plot, there's an alien who's here. It's hunting humans. It does hunt humans, including some of the actors that we're going to mention in just a minute. As it hunts them, it collects them and puts them in a water utility shed. I guess that's functioning as his temporary like food storage locker. I think there's the implication that the alien is going to eat the people. I don't know if that's ever made entirely clear, but I recall that being suggested.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's a lot of wonderful mystery about exactly what the alien is doing and why, which really works but yet also leads you wondering is this for food? It might be for food, or are they trophies perhaps their trophies, or is there something else in play here? And we're just taking our own human practices and sort of holding them up over the extraterrestrial in front of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And so this alien is hunting humans. It doesn't use technology really at all that I can think of there. Like I said, there's no laser cannon, there are no extending wrist blades, there are no magical flying circular saw discs. Instead, it uses what I would call a jellyfish shuricken. It throws these little biological creatures that attach to people and then stab into the people with their tentacles and make the people bleed and then kill them. Is that about right?
Speaker 2: That pretty much? I like to think of them as fresh frisbees, but I think murder pancakes would also.
Speaker 3: Suffice frisbees from the seafood market.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So basically, this tall, big headed alien, which, by the way, I want to stress this is a nineteen eighties movie, a nineteen eighty film, which is key because you certainly expect that kind of a big headed alien in these older in decades pro prior, especially stuff like outer limits and so forth. But this is eighty. There is a Star Wars beach blanket that shows up in the film, and so there's something about the weirdness of that, Like, this creature is not only from a different world, he's from a different cinematic world, so he feels even more the outsider, but unlike those other cinematic big headed aliens. Yeah, he's throwing these flesh frisbees around, and if one of these flesh frisbees attaches to your flesh, you're probably doomed. You have, like it seems like a few seconds in the movies, time to whip out a bowie knife and cut that sucker free. Otherwise you're done for.
Speaker 3: Though nobody seems to have that insight except Jack Palance himself. Everybody else who gets hit by one of the fresh frisbees. Wait, are we going with fresh frisbees or flesh frisbees?
Speaker 2: Either way, fresh flesh frisbees.
Speaker 3: Okay, one of the jellyfish meat frisbees attaches to you, Everybody else just goes h and then goo comes out of them and they fall over. But Jack Palance, yeah, of course he whips out his knife because I guess he's got more grit than any of the other ones, and he has the courage and the resolve to just stab right in there and get it off, like he's shucking an oyster.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there is very much. There's an oyster shucking sense to these things. Seeah, it's never explained if the thing is the flesh frisbee it kills you so fast because it's like draining your essence or sucking your blood out, or if it's like a toxin situation. But it seems to work really well, and the movie does a good job of conveying that sense of danger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got the sense of a toxin from it because the flesh frisbee, the fresh flesh frisbee, is also very greasy. You know, it's like got this ooze that when Jack Palance stabs into it with his linoleum knife or whatever, it produces this oleaginous extrusion that is I don't know, it looks like it would not come out with water alone. You would need you know, goo gone or something to get rid of it, and we'll come back to that in just a little bit when we explore some monster science. But maybe first we should look at a cast of characters and associated artisans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's start at the top. I guess with director Greaton Clark not to be confused with tad artists great Anis and I have personally made that confusion, confusing these two. But Grayton Clark is perhaps best known, I think for directing Angel's Brigade back in nineteen seventy nine, but also the MST three k riffed Final Justice with Jodn Baker back in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's the one with a dyspeptic Jodon Baker and he's running around Malta, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Cowboy. It has some wonderful There's this one shot in that film where he has his hand on his hip and they're shoot it like between his arm and the side of his Torso it's one of my favorite bizarre shooting choices I've ever seen in a film.
Speaker 3: I also recall a joke about a felonious monk in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Grayton Clark directed another film that came out in nineteen eighty seven, which that might be the same year that Predator came out, or maybe Predator was eighty nine, I don't know. In eighty seven, Graydon Clark made the movie Uninvited. I keep wanting to call it the Uninvited. I think there's no article. It's just Uninvited, which is about a mutant cat that gets aboard a yacht with klu Gooliger and George Kennedy and a bunch of some more makeout point teens.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, I haven't seen that one yet, but it's it's definitely on my list for this October.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Robert, it is a top tier creature film. You've got to see Uninvited. In fact, that should be a later, later addition to the show because it is. It is a creature film like none other. It is really unparalleled genius. It Dwelleth at the top of the creature film Zigarat.
Speaker 2: All right, well, okay, so we got Clark on board. Here another key individual makeup artist Greg Cannum. I now I should know that that sometimes Rick Baker name is attached to this film. Apparently he was involved in the film early on and actually made the alien head and designed some of the effects and then handed duties off to fellow FX makeup with Greg Cannum and Canum ends up, you know, completing everything. Canum is another superstar of special effects makeup. He went on to work on everything from Bromstoker's Dracula and Highlander two to most recently. I believe he was involved in that Christian Bale Dick Cheney makeup for that movie.
Speaker 3: Wece Oh wow, wow, Okay, well I see the through line. Actually, did he do the old man makeup for Connor MacLeod and Highlander two? And did he do the old man makeup for Gary Oldman in bram Stoker's Dracula and the old man makeup for Christian Bale and Vice?
Speaker 2: I would bet that that is the case.
Speaker 3: Yes, three extraordinary works, each of each of their own genre, as long as you consider that the stuff they put on Christoph Lambert is supposed to be oily looking and funny.
Speaker 2: Now, of course, the thing about effects in a film like this is they can look amazing, but it also comes down to how you shoot them and indeed how you light them. Oh, and that leads to our next future superstar that was involved in this picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dean Coundy. So Dean Coundy is a legendary cinematographer and director of photography. He's a member of the ASC. If you just think about a movie that is effortlessly visually absorbing, something that is constantly pleasing and interesting to look at without really calling attention to itself as flashy photography, and I think that there is a good chance that you're watching a Dean Coundy movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I have to say with this film, it doesn't start off feeling like Cundy's presence is there because early on in the film, everything is in just stark daylight. You wake up late and arrive in this movie around noon in Littel, California, so everything has hungover to yeah, a little bit hungover. Everything's just super bright. It looks like it's probably hot and you should maybe be in a library somewhere or you want to crawl back into a trailer or something. So you know, that's the first section of the film. But eventually the sun goes down, and when the sun goes down in this movie, Kundy's lighting comes up, and that's when everything begins to take on an entirely new feel because that's when we see more and more of the monster, but then we also see more and more of these kind of and really at times monstrous character actor faces that are also lit up just so well. Some of the best scenes in the film are just character actors well lit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you know. I would actually go disagree just a little bit that I think there's some really good photography and the film has a good look even in some of the daylight scenes. I definitely agree that it became more interesting to look at once you get to the nighttime. But there are a couple of daylight scenes that remind me of scenes in Halloween. Of course, Dean Cundy famously worked with John Carpenter on movies like Halloween and the Thing you Remember in Halloween how there will be these scenes that are just in broad daylight, and it'll be a creepy wide shot with Michael Myers standing somewhere in the distance and not really moving or doing anything all that menacing. He's just there in the mid ground background. And those are I think some of the most effective shots in Halloween. They really color how you experience the film. There are shots like that in Without Warning too. There's like a shot where a hunter is looking around at a field just with kind of like dead grass and overgrown weeds, and there is some figure with a large head just kind of standing in the distance behind the tall grass, not moving, and I thought it was an incredibly effective shot for such a low grade movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I do admit that some of those daylight scenes are creepy in that they convey that sense of the terror that stalks in the daylight is perhaps even more dangerous than that which stalks at night.
Speaker 3: But I agree in general Dean Coundy he's just got the magic touch, and it's especially magic once night comes on and he's messing around with lighting. There are scenes that are filmed inside a house, a sort of a hunting cabin where there's a sudden boo scare where the alien pops out from the corner of a room and I think points with his finger. Very again, very invasion of the body snatcher's style, but it's a very effective boo scare. Actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have to throw in that the Shout Factory Scream Factory edition of this movie that came out on DVD and Blu Ray several years back has some special features, and one of them is Kundy talking about the film and it's really insightful. He for instance, brings up the fact that the monster costume looked really good and you had this maybe temptation to want to show a lot of it, but he held back. And you know, you depend on a little bit more shadow and mystery. So there are certain details on that monster head that you just don't necessarily get in the final feature, Like it has kind of compound eyes, yes, and you never complete I don't think you ever get a sense of that in the film, But ultimately you don't need it because great costume plus great lighting equals great experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, the monster is often in shadow, and this actually works to great effect. Again, it's a common feature you see when people are talking about Dean Kundy movies on the internet. I think a lot of times they don't even know that they're The reason they're saying this is that it's a Dean Kundy movie. But you see this thing in reviews over and over, a sentence like this trashy b movie is much more watchable than it has any right to be. I think it's that's just Dean. That's Dean work and his stuff, and a lot of it has to do with lighting. And good framing and pleasant cinematography. I don't know if pleasant's the right word, but it's interesting to look at, you know, it's visually not boring.
Speaker 2: Speaking of visually not boring, we've already touched on Jack Palance's presence in this and I think one of the key things about Jack Palance again, the intensity is great, but there is an inherent weirdness that Palance brings to any picture, whether you're looking at a blockbuster film that he was in. You know, if you're looking at you could be looking at City Slickers or Batman or Shane or Outlaw of Gore or anything like when he shows up, Like, if there's nothing else weird about the film, Palance is the weirdness.
Speaker 3: It's like he's always just about to start telling you about his erotic model train hobby. It's just he's got secrets and they're bursting out, they're about to leak out of his face.
Speaker 2: I should also add that Palance has this kind of captain ahab vibe throughout the film too, so you're never really sure if you can trust him him. You're not really sure if you can trust the character. And I think there's there's something about that that Palance brings to most films, like you look, just look at him, and this is not leading man, this is not the hero. This is a potential villain at least. And so, yeah, he really feels like this tweener character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that. You walk into his gas station and he starts talking to you about hunting and that sort of thing. You don't know if you can rely on him when he later shows up in the dark with a gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, one of the beautiful things about this film is that Jack Palance is not the only creepy old man character played by an established character actor, because we also have Martin Landau in this picture.
Speaker 3: No, they really swung for the bleachers, I mean with the casting here. So it's got Martin Landel. Also Martin Landel, I'd say one of my favorite old character actors. He gives one of the best movie performances of all time playing Bello Legosi and Tim Burton's ed Wood. I've kind of you know, I hate to talk smack, but I've kind of gotten tired of Tim Burton movies in the modern era. But when you go back to some of the Tim Burton stuff from the nineties, it's so lively and fantastic, and Edwood is one of the best examples of that. Of course, it's about a schlock movie maker himself. What's his name, Edward? No, no, no, I mean no, who plays Edwood? What's the actor? The actor Johnny Depp?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, yeah, Johnny dep Yeah, yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: Johnny Depp plays Edwood. And of course, late in life, Edwood, the schlock filmmaker, actually did form a relationship with the great actor Bella Lagosi and cast him in some of his films, and this is portrayed in the movie with with Martin Landau playing Bella Lagosi as a kind of tired, washed up, ornery version of himself.
Speaker 2: A quick note, Martin Landau has a lot of vampire in the family, because not only did he play Bella Lagosi, but his daughter Susan Finch was one of the producers of brom Stokers Dracula, and his other daughter Juliet played Drusella on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've looked that up before when we were watching Buffy. Yeah, I remember, we discovered that fact and it was just a delight. Martin Landau is so lovable as Bella and even in this movie where he's not playing a lovable character, he's somehow lovable anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess it's more of a like his character goes the way you really expect Palance's character to go, because he plays this character named Sarge who's a like an army vat. I guess we're supposed to believe, and he we learned increasingly learned that he has some some serious psychological baggage. And so even though he is aware that there's some sort of alien presence in the local area causing mischief, he heaps like additional conspiracy theory on top of that additional psychotic thinking where he believes also that the alien might be in disguising itself with various people that they you know, there's a real conspiracy going on when there isn't, but it may make for it's sort of a sort of a surprise villain in the film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's he's he plays the unfortunate role of like the teens. Okay, maybe we should actually summarize the plot a little bit more to get up to those points. So, so, like, uh, it starts off with there are a pair of hunters who are out hunting. There's this older hunter played by Cameron Mitchell we can talk about in a minute. And then he's got this younger son with a mustache who doesn't like hunting and doesn't want to be outdoors and it's just whining. And then they both get killed by the alien. Okay, it's your classic, you know, prolog a slaughter in a horror movie, right. And then you've got the makeout point teens who show up in a van. They're, you know, the classic teens from the city. They want to go swimming at the lake and so they're hanging out in their bathing suits in their van. They stop at the gas station that I believe belongs to Jack Palance to get gas presumably, but they end up going in the bathroom and running into Martin Landau as Sarge, who it's kind of creepy, and then just disappears. And then they make it to the lake and then the slaughtering starts. The alien praise on one of the one couple of the teens, and then the other couple of teens run for help at a local bar, and then once they're at the bar, they run into Sarge and they're saying there's an alien trying to kill us, and Sarge believes them, but unfortunately he also I think, ends up believing that they are aliens themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is ultimately a clever idea, like having the two old men, creepy old men that you run into. One is going to be more more of a benefit than the other by far right. But Landau does a great job in this, brings a real kind of crazy intensity to it. And you know, I don't know that I remember seeing him play as much of like a deranged villain character before in a film. A lot of the things I'd seen him in he was more of a really more of a leading man or hero. I finally remember him on the seventies TV show Space nineteen ninety nine, which was rerun like crazy at one point in the on the Sci Fi Channel.
Speaker 3: He's actually in a really great old episode of The Twilight Zone where I believe he plays some kind of Eastern Bloc agent who's trying to defect in one episode, and he is being pursued by assassins in the company that he's trying from the country that he's trying to defect from, and they have booby trapped his hotel room with a bomb, and so it's his job to try to figure out where the bomb in the room is. And it's a nice tight little bottle episode.
Speaker 2: All right. So Landau's great in this, But let let's talk about some of the other actors here. You have Kevin Peter Hall playing the monster, the Hunter itself, and Hall is a legendary monster player who most ironically went on to play the Predator in both Predator one and two.
Speaker 3: So this is where things almost get kind of suspicious, and you wonder, like, I don't know about the screenwriter who wrote Predator, but did they actually watch this movie? Were they actually just ripping it off?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I think we'll get into that a little bit when we discussed the ideas behind it, sort of the mythic underpinnings of the film. But maybe Kevin Peter Hall also played some other monsters during his time. He sadly died in nineteen ninety one, but before then he played the mutant Bear in the nineteen seventy nine film Prophecy. He also played Harry and Harry in the Henderson's Heart Eyes Bulging, Yeah, Yeah, and he was Big John in Big Top Peewee. Yeah, so famously a very tall actor, great you know, great presence for creature type roles. And you know what I got to say, his body performance as the Predator in the Predator film kind of makes it. I know, originally they had cast Jean Claude van Dam to play the Predator and no offense to Jean Claude van Dam, but I don't know if that would have been as effective in the movie, especially standing next to Arnold Schwarzenegger, like the aliens literally smaller than him. Yeah, Like the stature is key, I think.
Speaker 3: But also no, he's got a great physicality in the role too, like the way he you know, moves his arms and his stance and all that. He really knew how to play a non speaking role.
Speaker 2: Now, this movie also gave us a key cinematic debut the Ginger baby Face himself, David Caruso.
Speaker 3: David Caruso, So he plays one of the makeout point teenes in this He's one of the ones that unfortunately does not make it all the way to the bar. He and his girlfriend are swimming in the lake. I think the last time we see them, they're literally on a towel getting ready for some makeout action and then they just end up later in the waterworks shed. But so he is, he's very ginger, and he's wearing shorts in this movie that are so short they insert the axis of time and space. I'm like, I can't believe that people once wore shorts that short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's crazy. He would, of course go on to just make a career out of playing mostly cops and detectives and occasionally criminals who basically seem like cops. But that's his point. He was only twenty four years old and he just plays a horny teen who gets himself killed by an alien.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But then also we have a veteran character actor, Cameron Mitchell, who I mentioned that earlier. He's in the prologue. He's one of the hunters who gets killed at the beginning of the movie. And I must admit, the whole time I was watching him in the prologue, I thought he was Jack Palance because he kind of looks like him.
Speaker 2: He has his face does a very similar thing to Palances, like, you just do not trust it. You know that something is up when Cameron Mitchell like Locke's eyes with you.
Speaker 3: For fans of Mystery Science Theater three thousand. Cameron Mitchell is maybe best known for playing the Santa Claus guy in Space Mutiny. He's the old man with the white beard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's one of the Ultimately, I feel like it's such a deserved because that was probably the first thing I saw him in and where in which I recognized him as Cameron Mitchell. But generally he just plays heavies and villains. And so if you watch most of his work from before Space Mutiny, those are the kind of characters he plays, like dangerous men, unsavory characters. And and here again he plays an unsavory character who is at one point just going to murder his own son because he doesn't like hunting in the outdoors.
Speaker 3: Because he doesn't like hunting. That is that is the reason we're given.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But anyway, Cameron Mitchell always of an interesting presence in a film he worked. He worked with Mario Bava a lot, for example. But I have also found that nobody dies ten minutes into a film quite like Cameron Mitchell. He has pulled this in other films.
Speaker 3: He's got a real dirty rat face.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, a few other just older actors have noted here Larry Storch shows up as a scout master. Neville Brand plays one of the drunks in the bar, and he has a He's another one of these character acts with just a real landslide of a face, just a total character actor, who, by the way, played the killer in Toby Hooper's Eating Alive from seventy six.
Speaker 3: Oh, the movie with the Gator Hotel.
Speaker 2: I think that's the one. Is like the cover is like he it's it's the cover is just a Neville Brand with a big sickle or something. Yeaheah.
Speaker 3: I think that's right. I could be wrong, but yeah, so so he's great. I must say one of the other teens, the male teen who survives longer into the movie. I hate to bring politics into it, but it's Scaramucie. He's baby Scaramoucie. That's exactly what he looks like. Maybe sort of a cross between him and Casper van Deen. He's got that that Van Den, sort of like a forest creature.
Speaker 2: I I have to say that both of the teens that last the longest in the film, those actors, I think were mainly stunt workers, but I thought they did a fine job as far as is like teen leads in a horror movie from nineteen eighty go. I have no problem with them at all. I thought they did a pretty good job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, neither of them appears to have done all that much else. The girl who sort of becomes the final girl in the movie. She is played by an actress named Tara Nutter, who I saw was also in some movie with Ron Howard about an evil company that's poisoning farmland. M Okay, yeah, not a hugely extensive acting career. Well, maybe now we should get infuriatingly granular about the physical reality imagined by this film.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's time for a little monster science, because ultimately, this is often the case if you have a suitably weird creature, monster, or even just monstrous scenario in a film, there's we always found that there's generally something in nature that is as weird, if not weirder. And this is the same it's gonna be said about this film. So we already touched on the fact that, unlike the predator, this hunter doesn't use technology to hunt its prey. No, it uses other organisms. It uses flesh, frisbees, I mean, presumably they're other organisms. I guess it's possible that it is like hatching these from its chest and then collecting them in its purse or satchel and then flinging them out. But I think the predominant interpretation, the fair interpretation, would be that these are other organisms that it has. Maybe it raises them in a tank somewhere, Maybe it goes to some weird moon and collects them like a mushroom harvester. But at any rate, it comes to Earth with a sack of these things looking for a good hunt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the jellyfish shirocin as I mentioned, I think maybe you could think of them as technology, but they're definitely not like inert like mechanical technology. If there are technology at all, their biotechnology, these things are definitely alive in some way. They use They're full of oleaginousts, you know, substances. They got like little tentacle that poke out. They squeal I think when you stab them. So they're definitely alive in some way. And yeah, I was curious about the same thing. Are these like part of him part of the Hunter in some way? We don't. I don't think we ever see them come off of his body in the movie. He just throws them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they come out of a satchel or purse.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so it makes me think maybe there's some kind of organism that he has collected from the natural world on his home planet, or like you say, like a moon or something. They made me think. Actually, I recall back in the very first half Life game, there was a weapon you could get. There were basically these little alien rats and I don't remember exactly what they were called, but you get like a bag of these alien rats and you could kind of throw them into a room and they'd run around and attack whatever was in the room. But if you ran into the room yourself, you were also vulnerable to them. They could like turn around and attack you. And I wondered if the same thing would be true of the flesh frisbees in this movie, Like could they turn against their master. I don't think we see a character try to employ that method, but we never see it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't really have a good thrown arm on her.
Speaker 3: No. So one thing about these projectiles that I was looking for biological parallels to is the fact that they are so obviously slimy and oleaginous. Right, they look greasy. You get repeated close ups of the slime and the mucus they produce, and it looks oily to me. It looks like you'd need some good soap or something to get it off. And as a point of comparison in the natural world, I do want to mention a very alarming grease throwing animal which is a type of petrol, a kind of bird of the southern half of the world which projects a greasy slime vomit against other birds as a defensive tactic. The most the bird best known for this is a type of bird called full mars, where they will spit out of their mouth a type of stomach oil that if it gets on the feathers of an attacking birds an eagle type predator, it makes it undercuts the feathers ability to be waterproof and it hurts their ability to fly. So birds have actually died because they were spit on with this mucous vomit oil stuff from the full mar's stomach. They were in fact like cases I was reading of where birds like auks were put in an enclosure with a full mar and then got vomited on and died. Oh wow, so you don't want this oil on you. I was also reading in a post on Scientific American about how sometimes the chicks of these full mars will just basically spit this oil at anything that gets close to them, including their own parents, and they have to like mature out of that over time, and the parents apparently can defend themselves by preening, by removing it, you know, from their feathers with their beaks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at a picture of one of these right now, and it's like a vile orange grease that seems to be flying out of this creature's mouth.
Speaker 3: You don't want to get the goo on you. And just like in the movie, you don't want to get the goo on you. But it also is much more than goo. It's an organism in itself. And I was trying to think, you know, are there any animals could I could find examples of that threw a more complex thing, like like the flesh frisbees in this movie that actually does something. I was having trouble finding good examples of something that actually throws something more than just an object from its environment or a liquid from its body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, offhand, I can't think of a good example of that either. Yeah, generally animals are going to manipulate you know, it's like sand or dirt shell that sort of thing. But one example that I came across that's probably the best example of an organism using organisms as some sort of a tool or indeed some sort of a weapon, and that is to look at the boxing crab or pom pob crab found in the genus Libya. These are these are little guys. These are like two centimeters or point seven inches wide, so they're not very big crabs. But they have this wonderful adaptation where they will they will collect or acquire and that's part of the mystery, these little anemonies. And they'll have one in each claw and they'll brandish them almost like a pair of nunchucks or something. They will they'll wave them around when they're doing, you know, various displays for other crabs. But they also seem to use them to collect food. And there's a mutualism in play here because the anemy gets you know, it's it's far more mobile if a crab is carrying it around. But I was looking at a twenty thirteen study from Barilan University and they were really getting into how do they acquire these particular anemonies, and they found that, for instance, if they lose their anenemy, they may steal one from somebody else. If they have only one, they'll rip it in half so that they have two. And that particular study, they were looking at one variety of boxing crab, and they pointed out that the variety of anemony that the crab used had not been found yet in the wild. Now, that could just mean we just had not found it yet. There are a lot of organisms in the wild that we have not fully charged, obviously, But the other possibility is that it is essentially a domesticated, fully cultivated species that has henceforth gone extinct in the wild, and it is only carried on by these crabs that use them as a sort of tool or weapon.
Speaker 3: It's like an agricultural product of the crab society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean you could compare it in that respect to leafcutter ants and the crop they grow. But yeah, I love the idea of comparing the boxing crab to the hunter from without Warning because it makes you wonder, like, what kind of evolutionary path led the hunter here? Did it grow up cultivating its weapon race of deathly flying discs? And just you know, it ends up being part of the way it lives its life. Eventually they start making satchels to carry them in. Maybe at some point they were like exo parasites that collected on their body and then they started using them offensively. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That would not be the only case in nature of something that begins as a parasite but then eventually is adopted into a kind of mutualism with the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think that could probably be said to be the case for a lot of you know, the regular microbiota that lives on and in all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should add that we never see the alien hunter without his outfit on. If they were to pull that costume off, perhaps he's just covered with him. They just suckered all over.
Speaker 3: Him, right, or they're just like coming out of a little like a printer slot in his belly. Now we mentioned at some point the character played by the actress Tara Nutter tries to throw one of these things back at the alien, you know, to turn his weapons against him, and it fails, like throws it and it falls short of him. So you never since that would it have worked if it had hit him, Like if she was able to hit him with this thing. Would it latch on and poison him and do its thing like it does with humans, or you know, is it just like it? Would he be immune to it? Anyway? The movie does not solve this riddle that it itself has posed, but maybe that would be a good place to talk about what happens at the end of the film, because that's when she throws the disc. So there are various encounters where the teens are running around. The surviving teens are being pursued by Martin Landau who at some point he gets a police car and he's like driving after them in it.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, there's this wonderful scene where the police officer shows up, yeah to save the day, and Sarge shoots him dead.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And then of course more police come to arrest Sarge. But then Sarge apparently steals the police vehicle and shows up in the police car. You think the bo the police are here to save the teens. No, it's Sarge again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Sarge shoots the police officer because he thinks s he's an alien. Yes, And then yeah, so he's in the police car. He's chasing the teens around and then At some point, the teens escape and they go into a hunting cabin or a house, and then the movie gets kind of quiet for a bit where they're just chilling out in the house. They're looking around the baby. Scaramushi bruised this pot of coffee and then presumably drinks it all from It looks like he drinks about four gallons of coffee and then dies in a chair.
Speaker 2: I remember him going to make the coffee, saying he's going to stay up all night and protect her. Why don't you sleep? And I wanted to be like, oh, sweetie, that's not how coffee works. You can't just brew a pot of coffee and that's going to keep alone, is going to keep you up all night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how much coffee do I need in order to stay up all night? I would guess about four gallons. Yeah, that'll get me through. So he's dead in a chair when we find him with a flesh frisbee attached to his face. So you might assume, okay, the alien killed him, but it's also quite possible he just died of diarrhea from the four gallons of coffee. Before that, the alien just stuck the flesh frisbee on there, kind of as an afterthought, but then we get a chase. The alien is chasing Tera Nutter around and Jack Palance shows up to help her, and Jack Palance reveals that he has laid a trap for the alien that now the Aliens shed, the former water utilities shed that has all the dead bodies in it, is rigged with dynamite and they're going to lure the alien back to the shed and blow him to pieces. And essentially this process works, except that at some point Sarge shows up and temporarily foils their plan, and then he gets killed by the alien. Unfortunately, Jack Palance gets flesh frisbeed a lot, and no amount of cutting off the flesh frisbees will save him, so instead he sacrifices himself, charging straight on at the alien and yelling, and you can just tell when they film the scene they were looking around at each other thinking did we ever give the alien a name? Does it have a name, And the answer is no, so he just yells.
Speaker 2: Alien yeah really. He does ultimately have his Captain Ahab moment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from the heart of Hell, I stab at the I guess from the heart of Hell, I run at the alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If he presumably pulls it off.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeh see. He grabs the alien around the ankles and then they blow it to pieces with the dynamite and the day is saved.
Speaker 2: But that's why Palents didn't get to play Ahab in a film adaptation to Mobi Dick, because he's like, and then I killed the whale. That's how this goes, and they're like, no, no, it's not exactly how the novel goes, and he's like, it doesn't matter. I tink a run it that whale, I take it down.
Speaker 3: I thought you were gonna say. That's why he never played Ahab, because he's like, I've already done that role.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 3: No adaptation of Moby Dick could rival without warning. Do I get to run at the whale yelling? Well, perhaps we should talk about what is this film trying to say? If it is trying to say anything. I do think this one is trying to say something, but I'm not quite sure it's sure what that is, but I can tell you it is something about hunting. The film is clearly a meditation on the theme of hunting, because the alien is a hunter and they just really beat you over the head with it. Almost every single character talks about hunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from the very beginning, like the father and son are arguing about hunting, like, why do you like hunting? Dad? I don't know, Son, why don't you not like hunting? So they really kind of to a certain extent, beat you over the head with it. But at the same time, after a while, it feels like they're not really sure what point they're trying to make about hunting. I mean maybe to an extent, maybe that's good, Like you don't feel like there's a really heavy handed message to.
Speaker 3: This film, Oh sure, I mean I'm not saying that. I think every film should have a moral that can be stated in a sentence. Though if this film has any thoughts in general about hunting, even then I'm not quite sure what those are. But maybe maybe we'll find something here, because I wanted to explore these these hunting themes in literature a little bit and see if we can if that can inform our vision of the movie. Now, obviously, stories of divine hunters, like you would say the alien in this movie is in a way a divine hunter, right, it comes down from the sky, it's got superhuman powers, and it uses them to hunt on earth, but not just to hunt beasts, to hunt the most dangerous game of all, which is Madden. And so obviously, you know, these stories of divine hunters are just rich throughout ancient mythology. Most of the myths of hunters, I think, are about normal hunting. You know, they're humans or humanoid gods who hunt animals. And then a lot of hunting mythology is about the relationship between hunters and prey and the gods who aid hunters in the hunt. But there are a few myths that sort of turn the tables on the hunting dynamics in the style of Predator or this movie, or one of my favorites, the tagline from the for the nineties movie Congo. You remember that tagline goes where you are the endangered species?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess It's often pointed out too that modern twists on this or are all kind of a twist on a most dangerous game in which you know, humans are hunting humans. And then in just in sci fi, like there was an older Isaac Asimov's story in which there's like a time traveler who gets drunk at a bar and tells everybody that he traveled back to dinosaur days and found that reptilian humanoids hunted all the dinosaurs to extinction. So this idea of alien or alien esque hunters, you know, certainly predates even this film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And other sci fi stories have touched on hunting themes, of course. I mean the one that immediately comes to mind is a Sound of Thunder, where there's time travel again and the idea that but this is also about humans hunting animals. In that story, the humans go back, they hunt dinosaurs, and unfortunately, in hunting dinosaurs they create ripple effects throughout time. You know, it's the butterfly effect explored. But this, of course is the theme where we're talking here about humans or humanoid gods being the prey. And I think there are some myths that sort of get into territory at least close to this. One example is a number of myths about the Greek goddess Artemis having various kinds of hunts for humans, or at least hunting sort of revenge on humans that in some way resembles a hunt. Artemis Artemis is an interesting figure, of course, she is the virgin goddess of the hunt in Greek mythology. There are some connections between her and probably older, more ancient goddesses who symbolized something having to do with fertility in the ancient Near East. But in Greek mythology, Artemis is very often associated with hunts and hunting weapons, and the wilderness and wild animals. She had these stags and deer that are sacred to her. She, like the predator, and like the alien in Without Warning, has powerful supernatural tools that aid her in the hunt. So whereas the Predator's got his laser cannon and his blades and his nets and all those things, and of course the alien from Without Warning has the flesh frisbees. Artemis has a silver bow and silver arrows that were forged by the cyclopes in this underwater realm, and the arrows of this bow could split a pine tree and the quiver would always be full. And she also has a pack of hunting dogs that she acquired from the god Pan you know, the little King of the Wood, which could outrun any deer or outfight any lion. And there are a number of myths where she sort of hunts a person or a deity after they've offended her in some way. I think that. Probably the best known of these is the myth of Acteon, right where Acteon is himself a hunter. He's a young hunter who's traveling through the forest and he sees Artemis bathing in a pool or a stream, and he's like wow. And then she catches him looking at her, and because he saw her naked, she transforms him into a stag, and then he is pursued by dogs. I think in most versions of the story, I think he's pursued by his own hunting dogs that mistake him for the prey now, and they catch him and they tear him to pieces. But I've also seen some version where apparently she hunts him with her hounds, maybe the hounds of Pan, and they catch and rip him apart.
Speaker 2: You know this is this is great because, on one hand, hunting dogs are a perfect analog to the flying fresh flesh frizdi. Yes, you know they are yea biotechnology, domesticated creatures that we send forth to do our will on the hunt. I wonder too about you know, obviously, hunting was such an important part of life, an essential part of life for for early humans, So it makes sense that this thing that we depended on on on a daily basis would would mingle so with our myth making. But also I wonder if there's a sense that it that it that it also reveals, especially for early humans, how delicate our place in the natural order was, Like in the same way that has often pointed out that our cats, our pet cats are are extra insane because in the in the wild, they are both predator and prey, you know, And and so for early and especially that would have been the case. There were beasts that would eat us, just as we had to eat beasts, and in doing so, you know, a lot of these myths kind of seem to explore that dual nature that you know, just but for the will of the goddess, I could be the creature hunted by these fierce beasts that do my bidding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's it's a natural place to go, and it's a natural kind of irony to explore, you know, it's very much that like Avid's metamorphosis territory. You know, the ironies inherent in the natural order of things. One of the most obvious kind of ironies you could get into is the order of the food chain. We're usually at the top, we're doing all the hunting. But what if you were the prey, which, in fact, and that's not even something you have to imagine a magical scenario for Like, you know, if you are stranded without tools, without aid and stuff like that, you could easily become a prey animal to a lion or something like that. But but I think the strange part comes in the strangeness enters when you're imagining not being prey to a wild animal, but being prey to a human or humanoid hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, being the focus of the hunter's will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because human hunters are different than wild animals. They've got you know, these they've got tools, they've got technology like Artemis does, they've got language, they've got sort of complex desires and will that the reason that Artemis might hunt a human would be not because she desires its meat to eat, but because she hates it for some reason it has offended her. And that would be the case in say, the myth of Niobe. Again, this one is it's not a perfect analogy because it's not exactly a hunt. But the normal version of this myth is that Niobe is the human daughter of Tantalus and the wife of Amphion, the king of Thebes, and in a lot of tellings she boasts in pride that she has more children than the titan Letto, who is the mother of Apollo and Artemis. And then Apollo and Artemis get revenge against her for making this prideful boast against their mother by slaughtering all of Niobe's children, which is, you know, a very Greek myth kind of thing to happen. And so the way it happens is that Artemis showers them with shafts from her bow while they're in their home, and Apollo takes the sons of Niobe hunting and kills them all while on the hunt, and Niobe is left to grieve. So there is sort of like a hunting inflection in the revenge plot here.
Speaker 2: Now there's also a sense, especially without warning, there's this idea too that all right, you bumbling teens have just wandered into something beyond your comprehension, you know, and now you're stuck in it. And really we see this as well with this mythic concept of the doom that comes with interrupting a divine hunt, such as the wild hunt traditions of Northern Europe. So in these traditions you have gods such as Odin and or the spirits of hunters passed running amok across the countryside, often at night, with hell hounds in toe, in pursuit of prey. And that prey might be a magical or divine heart, you know, some sort of sacred deer. It might be demons thereafter, it might be the souls of the damned as another frequent prey, or they might be chasing nothing at all, or nothing that you can even you know, determine. Now, the rules of these hunts and these hunt encounters seem to vary, but basically getting in the way of these hunts, or certainly even being seen by these hunts is potentially dangerous. You might get swept away into the underworld. And in some versions of the tradition, trying to interfere with in the hunt will spell your doom. But in some versions, aiding the hunt could earn you a reward.
Speaker 3: Ah, I see, So these are kind of ghost riders in the sky, like yeah, and you come across them, you best not get in their way, even if they're not hunting for you. Right, there's kind of a sense of that in actually, I would say in a lot of horror movies, but also in definitely, in Without Warning and in Predator. Yeah, I know, there's a lot of sort of academic theory about one of the common themes of horror being, you know, the danger of going into liminal spaces, that people are punished for venturing into areas and meddling into affairs that are not their purview, and so you know, you go, and so in Predator would be there like these commandos go into some other country that is not their home, and they get involved in stuff that is none of their affair, and thus they become targets of this otherworldly hunt. I think the same thing is sort of true and Without Warning, except it's hokey or I mean, basically, the place they're going is like to some river in some kind of rural area. But again it's like city kids. It's the you know, the makeout point. Teens are not from here, and they go in and they suffer for invading this liminal space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess you could even say that in Without Warning, you know, they're trying to they're trying to make some point about the distance between the young generation the older generation, between urban and rural and so you could say that there is some you some exploration of the idea that it is like another world, but but it does.
Speaker 3: They are getting in the way of the hunt, like the Ablest that's where he's doing his stuff, and they show up and almost kind of like get into the middle of it and are punished for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like everybody's doing basically okay with it. The drunks in the bar, they're just maintaining. Sergetes addled, but you know, he's not hurting anybody, and Palantes really wants to hunt that alien. But you get to see the feeling that he's just been waiting for the right opportunity to really bring it to the next level. And that's what the kids do. They just knock all of the norms out of out of position, and now we're in a you know, a much dire or situation. Right. But with the wild hunts, like I said, a lot of the time they're hunting demons and whatnot. But some of these wild hunt traditions do involve the wild hunters hunting the living. Consider the Devil's Dandy Dogs of Cornwall, which Carol Rose, a folk historian who's written a couple of wonderful encyclopedias that I continually come back to about monsters and fairies. She describes the Devil's Dandy Dogs as demonic huntsmen in a pack of black, fiery eyed demon dogs who quote hunt down the living and rip them to pieces. And then they also hunt the souls of the damned. And then there's also the coon Anen or the Hounds of Fairyland or the Hounds of Hell, also known as the Hounds of the Mother, or the Corpse Dogs or the sky Dogs.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a number of different names, and according to Rose, they're mostly invisible, but when you do see these dogs, they're stark white and they have red eyes and red ears, and they're led by either the Devil or a giant named Bran or a quote monstrous, black faced, gray clad master huntsmen known as gwyn Appnon. And they might be hunting the living, They might be hunting the souls of the dead. They also might be hunting unrepentant sinners or unbaptized babies, depending on the telling.
Speaker 3: Is it much sport to hunt unbaptized babies.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I wouldn't think so, unless they're just really cagy babies.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, so clearly there is this idea that there are uh I mean, I think this is common in beliefs about fairies or about the hidden people, that they have their own affairs and they're going about their own business, and that humans often get into trouble when you sort of wander into the middle of what they're doing. So are you saying that that's sort of what's going on here and connects in a way with Predator and Without Warning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think there is a sense that you know, you've stumbled upon this otherworldly affair that you don't have any right to be a part of, but now you're in it, and you may well face your doom because.
Speaker 3: There is a strange sense of implied justice that is more there, I would say, in Predator than in Without Warning. In Predator, you recall that, like the predator does not seem to attack anyone who is unarmed, so in some way it is almost a chivalrous alien hunter that it only wants someone who's a good sport, and you're only good sport for it if you can defend yourself. I feel like that's less the case in Without Warning. I don't remember anything.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have that scene where the monster, the Hunter has no problem taken out the Scout Master, but lets an entire pack of boy Scouts go free.
Speaker 3: That's right, I forgot about that scene. So maybe the same thing is implied here. I'm coming back to it again, you screenwriters of Predator. I'm coming for you. I want to know. Was this just a variation on without Warning?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, the Hunter knew that the baby Face David Caruso or David Face Baby Cruso, whichever it, knew that he was. This is a character worth hunting to the death right. But the boy Scouts gotta let him go, let him, let him grow up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the other two teens who got killed by the lake weren't They weren't armed, So I don't know how that holds up. Well, yeah, so maybe the boy Scouts are let go just because they're too young. Maybe that's it.
Speaker 2: The flesh isn't tasty yet. I don't know, right, Maybe the sucker of frisbees don't actually attach to younglings. We don't know, or maybe they'd all been baptized. We don't know the full religious history of everybody in this film.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's true. We never get any glimpse at the religion of the hunter, though you kind of get the sense that there is at least some narrow bit of culture implied, because the hunter is not dressed in what appears to be utilitarian clothing. The alien hunter is dressed in something that looks at least from the Earth analogy, like religious garb. It has robes, and then it has this kind of woven net like or almost Macromay kind of thing over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I think does also add to the just weird vibe of the villain here, because yeah, he's not outfitted like a human hunter. He's not using tools that are seemingly like anything we use to hunt. He's like some weird alien priest flinging flesh frisbees all over the woods.
Speaker 3: Here's a jellyfish Dominus vobiscum. So I wanted to point out something else that I thought was interesting. That's something in common with, or something in common between Without Warning Predator and some ancient myths about divine hunters, which is, how do you defeat them? If there's like a divine hunter with otherworldly powers and tools at its disposal, is there any way that immortal or a less powerful entity can face it down, and the answer appears to be traps. In this movie, it's Jack Palance with a shed rigged with dynamite. Remember he gets the explosives in the the watershed and then they blow the alien to pieces after he yells alien. And then in Predator, it's Schwarzenegger's tree trunk counterweight. Right. Oh yeah, like he Schwarzenegger sets up a trap that I think is supposed to originally hook under the predator's feet and then like throw him up into a bunch of spikes but or sharpened steaks. But then he has to kind of improvise because the predator goes around his trap. But then he gets him anyway, just by dropping a log on him.
Speaker 2: He's I think the more ingenious thing that Schwarzenegger's character was a Dutch could have employed. He's don't try and make a really good trap, make a terrible trap, like a really obviously bad trap that it just make the predator give up and realize, Okay, this guy's not a genius, not a discord after all. Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and call it a day, which I guess to a certain extent. That's what Sarage is doing in this movie, because we learned that Sarge is going around digging tiger traps, yes, deep pit traps all over the place, to the point where our heroes just fall into one at some point, but they're fine, there are any spikes or anything. It's not a very good trap.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But this actually does connect to a Greek myth. So there's a Greek myth about the pair of figures known as the Aloaid, in which Artemis, the divine hunter again kills two other divine hunters to otherwise invincible aggressive divine hunters only by resorting to a trap. So here is sort of predator versus predators. Now, the aload were these twin giants. They were the sons of a human mother named if Amidea and of the sea god Poseidon, and their names were ODIs and e Fialtes. And as demi gods, ODIs and e Fialtes grew large and violent, and they lived as these wild, uncontrollable hunters on the land, and they were so powerful that they could only be killed by each other, and they eventually nurtured designs on Mount Olympus. They wanted to attack the home of the gods, and it's said that Aris, the god of war, tried to stop them. He tried to kill them, but they crammed him into a brazen cauldron. And in some versions of the myth, the twin giants wanted to steal away Artemis and Hera from Olympus and make them into their wives. And in one telling of the myth, the way they're defeated. I think there are some versions where Apollo kills them, but in one version, the huntress Artemis is able to catch them in a trap. She transforms herself into a stag and then bates the two of them into a hunt And in animal form, Artemis positions herself between the two giants and they each throw their hunting spears at her, and then she dodges, and the spears thrown by each hunter pierced the other, and thus the Demi gods are slain.
Speaker 2: Ah. You know what that reminds me of? It also reminds me of RoboCop three. Isn't that how RoboCop defeats the two Cybern Ninjas? Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Kind of? Don't?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, basically he somehow tricks or some shenanigans occur that caused the two cyber ninjas to destroy each other with their swords.
Speaker 3: That's interesting And as a connections, I was reading on IMDb that the young actor who played Scaramuci van Deen in this movie he apparently did stunts in RoboCop three, if his IMDb page is correct. But anyway, is this a coincidence? Why are traps the obvious answer to an overpowered celestial hunter from the sky.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, one part of it could just be too you know, to think back on how we would have dealt with larger predators of old. You know, we had to figure out ways to outsmart them, and that may involve either setting a trap, like an actual physical trap like a pit or a tiger pit. Oh, or it might involve some sort of yeah we have buffalo jumps, you have some sort of ambush tactics would be employed, like some way of outsmarting them and using either a physical artifice or a strategic artifice against them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I mean, so when a human is hunted, it's obviously it's some kind of inversion of how things are supposed to be. It's a perversion of the divine order. We're supposed to hunt, not be hunted, And I wonder if there's an idea that, in order to reclaim your humanity and your position atop the chain of being, that you have to insist on victory by outsmarting this usurping hunter figure rather than simply overpowering it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that might well be the mythic energy that without Warning is tapping into. All right, well, we're reaching the end of our discussion here at this point. If you have not seen the film, you might be wondering, Hey, where can I watch without Warning? Well, as of this recording, I don't believe it's available on any of the major streaming sites, at least in the United States. I couldn't, but it's always worth checking around. Especially I find Amazon Prime to be a great place to find just righteous trash. They have just a wonderful selection of obscure titles.
Speaker 3: Yeah there. Recently they've expanded their jallo collection in eye popping ways. We watched a movie with baby Jing Carlo Janini in it, The Black Belly of the Tarantula. Have you seen that one? Oh?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that one, but I love that title.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it is a it is a It is a Jallo Lover's Jaello.
Speaker 2: Now, as we mentioned earlier, Shout Factories, Scream Factory and Print put out an awesome DVD and Blu ray of Without Warning back in twenty fourteen. I think it is out of print. Maybe it'll go back in print by the time you're listening to this, but that's well worth finding a copy of. That is the addition that we both watched in preparation for this episode. Yeah, and hey, if you happen to live in Atlanta, you can totally rent it at Video drone in either format.
Speaker 3: I would highly recommend it. I would say it's like all of the Dean Cundi movies. Once again, it might be trash, but it's surprisingly watchable.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're going to go and close out the episode here, but we want to hear from you. What did you think of the film? Did you happen to see it back in nineteen eighty. I'm always interested in those accounts, Like, you know, I saw it on the screen in the time that it was speaking to all the time it was speaking too.
Speaker 3: Did you happen to make it in nineteen eighty? Are you great? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Were you involved in the in the film? Yeah? Are you great on Clark. Are you the ghost of Jack Pallence writing into us to let us know that you did defeat that alien? It was definitely dead, and that your character survived for the sequel that we never got to see. We want to know about that as well, Hunter of Core. All right, you know how to get in touch with us, and in the meantime, just wherever you get this podcast, we asked you rate, review, and subscribe.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Seth Nicholas Johnson. If you'd like to get in touch with us, we don't know how you would do that yet, but maybe there will be a way.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow your mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.