Speaker 1: And we returned to our American stories. Up next the story of Danishia Allen, a senior fellow at the American Federation for Children. Let's get into the story. Here's Denisha.
Speaker 2: All growing up.
Speaker 3: I remember being a little kid and seeing vibrants and hearing stories of how the community was excited and people were engaged and they knew one another. The east side of Jacksonville where I grew up, it's called the Urban Corus. Sits right along the Saint John's where the Jacksonville Jaguars play, so very close to where city life is. The baseball stadium is maybe like a couple blocks from there, and I remember or we would go to the to the football games. We would go to the back baseball games, not that we could afford it, but like community members would pass out stuff, there will be cookouts. People knew each other by name. It was a place where community members really thrived. My godmother, she would tell me stories like, oh, yeah, uncle Cox, he used to have a barber shop right here. Uh yeah, this place right here, which n Looking at the buildings, you would never think that it was a business of any sort because it was just an abandoned building.
Speaker 2: But there was this.
Speaker 3: This culture, and all of a sudden that stuff stopped.
Speaker 4: For top story tonight, that deadly shooting on the East Side area, nightclubs and bars are where law enforcement is finding a younger generation of people in possession of a new drug called n nd I meta pensylon hydrochloride.
Speaker 2: People stopped having those cookouts.
Speaker 3: Drug and alcohol abuse started to increase, and more people, instead of going to work, were just walking around the neighborhood aimlessly looking for where they can I guess, get their next hit. Gang violence increased, and my family was, uh, I'm assuming a part of that. I would walk around the neighborhood and people wouldn't know me, you know, they would say, oh, that's such and such a little daughter. You don't mess with the Merriweathers. They're gonna get you. I wore my last name Merriwether as a badge of honor because everybody knew who I was. Everybody knew my family, and I didn't think it was you know, I thought it was great, but unfortunately it also followed me other places that followed me into like the after school program.
Speaker 2: It followed me into school.
Speaker 3: People knew the Merriweathers and not in a good way.
Speaker 2: How I grew up.
Speaker 3: You don't aks adults questions, y, You just say okay, you know, like you don't ask some questions. If things are happening, you just you know, you you just go along with what's happening. So I never really asked too many questions about what was happening around me. I just observed a lot of things and put my head down and say, yes, ma'am. So my biological dad, I didn't ask a lot of questions about him. But supposedly the dad that I grew up with was not my biological father. I heard stories about how she just went to problem with this nice young man. He was so nice and now here you are. And I was just like always intrigued about this story because I never heard much about it. But supposedly, at one moment his name was Ernest, then at another moment his name was Dennis.
Speaker 2: So I I I my biological dad.
Speaker 3: Up until even today, I'm still very cloudy and blurry. I'm not sure, but I do remember this one scene of a guy showing up at our house. It was the hotel, showing up at the hotel, and he brought me a necklace and I was like, thanks, you know, went back to playing, and my mom said, oh, that was your biological dad, but you better not tell your step dad that he showed up. And I was like, yes, ma'am, because you do not aks questions about what is going on. So I lived all growing up with my stepdad, who I thought up until that moment was my biological father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all moved from hotel room to this room.
Speaker 3: On the weekends, I would go with my godmother, who was actually friends. Her daughters were friends with my mom at sixteen in high school, they were all friends. The story gets very confusing most times when I tell people this story, they're like, wait, what, how did you meet your godmother? Well, my mom had me at sixteen. She obviously had friends, and she still wanted to party so she could go and kind of reclaim her childhood, and so she left me with one of her friend's mom And so that's how I became in the realm of this miraculous woman who I call my godmother. Head was not christened, and.
Speaker 2: She was not like.
Speaker 3: This was a very informal relationship, like here's a baby, can you take care of this baby? And it wasn't until I was about round one. My godmother told my biological mom, listen, just leave her here, go out and have your life. Go out and do what you want. But coming in at three in the morning to pick her up. This in and out is not gonna work. So just leave her here, come back when you're ready to get her, and we'll go from there. And she did, and she didn't show back up until like maybe a few years later. Wanted to take me back. They went to court. They had joint custody of me. M So I was going back and forth between my godmother's house and my biological mother's house, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I remember crying all the time because I did not want to go back to my mom's house. Every Sunday I just would ball. By the time I would get home to my mom's house, she would beat me and tell me just stop crying, just be quiet, You're not gonna go back. And it had gotten kind of bad that I would skip weekends of not going to see my godmother because the previous weekend had just been so bad and I would not wanna come back to live with my biological mom. So she would say, you're gonna skip the next weekend as punishment for not wanting to come back at my godmother's house. I was pretty much the only child. Her kids were grown, her kids were off in the military and college, and I had everything. I was spoiled. It was fantastic, went to church, had stability, just she had a set of goals. She held me to her standard. She had a parenting skill.
Speaker 2: She was a mother.
Speaker 3: So I was moving, moving, moving back and forth, back and forth, and at thirteen, I was by that time, i'd failed the third grade twice, so it was it was pretty bad. My favorite aunt, she, what I didn't know, was pretty much the orchestrator of getting me into my godmother's home and helping out with the court. She was a security guard at the courtroom and she knew everyone there, and so she was pretty much the behind the scenes advocate for me, and I didn't know that. When I was thirteen, she told me, you know, you don't have to stay with her, you can leave. And I looked at her, I'm like, she's my mother, Like what am I gonna do? I can't just not stay with her? She said, you can, you can, and something happened. I can't even remember. To this day. What But I looked at my biological mother like right in the eye. She made me so upset one day and I told her I am not coming back. I am not coming back here. I do not wanna stay with you anymore. And she cursed me out and she told me to leave, like don't come back, okay, leave And it was the best thing that could have ever happened. I felt so liberated. This is at thirteen, Like I can't imagine any thirteen year old I looking back, I'm like it was thirteen, but I want it better, like I want it more. I saw on the weekends, just two days sometimes out of a week, how other people lived. And I was jealous, absolutely jealous.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Danisha Allan tell her story. She grows up in a tough part of Jacksonville. Biological dad out of the picture, biological mom out of the picture for a long time, comes back into her life after leaving her daughter with a quote godmother who actually became the mother, well, the mother that Danisha deserved. When we come back more of Danisha Allen's story here on our American stories, and we returned to our American stories in Tanisha Allen's story. When we last left off, Denisha was telling us about her rough childhood in the city of Jacksonville, Florida. Denisia now turns to her education. Let's return to her story.
Speaker 3: I was a well I wouldn't say terrible, but I would not want me as a student. My first education memory, I think I was in about the second grade and I had to use the restroom and I asked my teacher, like, can I go to the restroom? And she said no, and I was like excuse me, Like so I'm sitting there and like raising my hand. I'm like, okay, maybe this is the type of teacher. She's like lame and she wants you to raise your hand. I remember like thinking these as a second girl, like okay, i'm'a raise my hand so I can go to the restrooms. I'm raise my hand, wiggling in my seat, trying to get this lady's attention. And she did not answer my hand, and I yelled again, I have to go to the restroom, and she said no. When I ask you to do something, you don't do it. But now you want me to do something for you, and so no, you're not going to the restroom, and I walked out.
Speaker 2: I walked out of the classroom. I was like, peace. Think.
Speaker 3: I stayed in the restroom for like maybe ten fifteen minutes. Came back strutting like can't tell me what I'm not gonna do a stupid teacher, and I sat down.
Speaker 2: She told me get out and I was like no. She's like, get out and go.
Speaker 3: To Bertha blah. I was like no, and she would pick me up and started to like try to pull me out of the class. I remember like grabbing on to the table, grabbing onto the wall, like crying, screaming, kicking her, trying to stay in class, and she won. She like took me in principal's office. I spent most of my time in the principal's office. But yeah, that's my earliest memory of school. We didn't really go to school. If my mom was tired, she didn't tug us to the bus stop, and we would just sleep in its like cool. If it was raining outside, we didn't go to school. If it was too hot, we didn't go to school. So we weren't really in school a lot. I remember my mom. She went to jail a couple times. Because we weren't going to school. I r I remember that because then all of a sudden, it was like, get y'all home, you know, bleep the bleeps out of here, and just go just walk to school. I don't care. I wasn't really in school, And when I was in school, I hated being there. We changed so much that there was never any significant reason for me to make friends like my teachers, and the teachers didn't like didn't.
Speaker 2: Like us at all. They heard Merriweather.
Speaker 3: Was coming through the door and they were just like, sit down, you know, at least that's how it seemed. Uh So, the the standard was very low for me to do well, and I didn't do well. I was very behind. I remember that. I remember getting picked on. I remember trying to read and having kids laugh at me, and I remember a lot of laughing at me. So by the third grade, there's the test, third grade tests that you have to take in order to pass to the next grade in Florida, and I failed the test, and so that meant I had to either do summer school or repeat the third grade. To do summer school, all that was required was for my guardian my mother to sign a piece of paper. I would still be able to take the bus, I would still be able to eat school launch just literally school during the summertime. She didn't sign papers, just didn't sign. So I failed third grade. That next year I failed again from the same thing. Just didn't get a piece of paper signed, couldn't read.
Speaker 2: It was a low in math.
Speaker 3: And fourth grade, I was accepted into what was called the Star program, and it's some acronym for something, but basically students getting into their right grade program. And I was in a classroom with people who were three and four grades behind. And this is in fourth grade. We were the special population, the special kids in the school. And so in the fourth grade, I was like, I have to do this, you know, I. I have to do well.
Speaker 2: And there was.
Speaker 3: This talent show. It was a talent show. I wanted to participate. I remember I wanted to sing this song by Yolanda Adams and I practiced so much. I was also very bad. So my teacher would threaten me, Denisha, if you do not do well, if you do not be good, you're gonna get kicked out of the talent show. I would write myself notes, Deniseha, do not talk in class deniseha, do not talk, be good, just pages and pages and pages. I failed, obviously. When the time came right before I was gonna go on, he told me, no, what you thought you were gonna participate in a talent show? No you you you were terrible, like absolutely not hm I W I was distraught, and from that moment, I just remember this click going off in my head of just anger, frustration at every single last teacher. No one seemed to really want to help me. Everyone just seemed to just criticize me all the time. From early on when I would just walk in the classroom and sigh, nobody was really like actually trying to help. It was just because of your actions these uh consequences. We're not gonna try to figure out why you acting like this. Just no. I think that was the moment in my mind when I was like, these crappy teachers, These people don't care. They don't really care about me, so I don't care either. And by the end of that year in the fourth grade, I didn't pass the program.
Speaker 2: I wasn't able to go to my right grade.
Speaker 3: Again. I was just so so frustrated, and that was when I was like, you know, this is just some place I have to be so that my mom doesn't go to jail. My mom dropped out of high school. I have many, many family members who dropped out of school, and I was beginning to see why in the summer before my sixth grade year. That was during the same time when I told my mom that I did not wanna stay with her anymore. Things at home had just gotten so terrible and I could live with my godmother. And my godmother was She's just my heart. She wanted to find a good place for me all the way around. That year was probably the best time of my life. She wanted me to go to the church's school. By that time, the church in my childhood church, the church that we had been attending i'd come to with her on the weekends, they built a school and she wanted me to.
Speaker 2: Go to that school.
Speaker 3: Of course, she didn't have no way to pay for that school. We got a scholarship, and the summer before I started, I had to take a test to see what level I was on. I was very low, needless to say, and one of my teachers she agreed to meet with me. I was not just low in reading, I was low in math. I didn't know my times tables. She met with me one on one. I would go to her house during the summer. I would stay after school when she was setting up for the school year.
Speaker 2: It was very different.
Speaker 1: And you're listening to Denisha Allen, a senior fellow at the American Federation for Children, and you're beginning to understand why she works at a place with that name. Education. She was so important in her life when it became important, but for much of her early life it wasn't. She was left behind, left behind, failure of filling out paperwork by a mom. What just wretched circumstances for a kid to find herself. And then that godmother, that godmother who saved her. When we come back more of Denisha Allen's story here on our American Stories. And we returned to our American Stories and the final portion of Danisha Allen's story. When we last left off, Tanisha was telling us about her early education in the public schools of Jackson, Florida. Things simply put, we're not good until people started to pour into her. Let's get back to the story here again. He's Denisiha Allen.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just going to be a much funny games, to be honest, but we really she really, I don't know what it's saying. Is crack the whip? I don't know. But we'd studied and I learned my times tables I was reading. She did not let up. She was a student at Jacksonville University, and I remember going with her to her classes too. That was my life during the summer. Although I was still kind of nervous about the start of the year at this new school, I was kind of used to going to a new school, though I knew the parade how things were gonna play out. The teachers were gonna act like they were so happy to be there, and they would smile greet us. The classrooms would be so beautiful with the freshest, you know, decorations, but it would wear off.
Speaker 2: That was just how it went.
Speaker 3: Sure enough, on my first day of school, the teachers were there greeting us with big smiles, hugging everybody. The classrooms were beat and I was like, yeah, I know this song very well, and the song is gonna end. The song never ended. Literally every day until I graduated, teachers were doing the same thing. I was always very shocked, even til I graduated, it was still a bit unsettling that it never stopped. I was in a class with students, of course, who were all younger than me, and I had my guard up because I knew what was gonna come. Teacher would call on me to read. They would laugh at me, and I would have to claim my space and let people know that I am nothing to mess with, Like, do not mess with me. I remember my teacher calling on me to read, and I s was still stumbling. Nobody laughed. I looked around and was waiting, like waiting to cut someone, you know, with my eyes and like get ready for the playground, Like I was trying to figure out who the big dog in a class was so that I could like bring them down. Nobody laughed at me, even a couple students. They would voluntarily like try to help me. My sixth grade teacher, though she invested as much or probably more in me as well students. Typically how school goes if people forgot m a teacher will open up the book and say who wants to read chapter one. The students will then raise their hand, and the teacher will pick from the students who raised their hand to read the paragraph in the book. I never rose my hand. She would always call on me. So every time we had to read, she would call on me. I would stumble, stumble, stumble, stumble, until one day I didn't. And this was literally like the first nine weeks. It seemed like my life took a one eighty turn. The name of the school is Expirit of Course, Center for Learning. We're learning is a joy. Excellence is the norm, and superiority is our goal. That's the school's model. We literally like had to recite it all the time. We had a spirit of excellence. We also had demerits, which I was like, what are these? You know where I come from, anything that's different from normal? We say, what is this white people's stuff? You know? The culture was different. I wasn't used to the culture. They held you to a standard. Every kid in my class. It was a very small C school. I think I had about seven or eight kids in my sixth grade class. All of them were on honor roll. I was like literally the only dumb kid, and I was like, I cannot be the only dumb kid. Whereas where I was at, everybody was feeling. The teachers expected for everyone to be if you gotta see you were like, you need to be more like him, you know.
Speaker 2: It was just it was so different.
Speaker 3: And so these kids, they were all very smart, they were all very nice and kind, and I was like this, you know, pit bull doll who just came off the street. And they they didn't look at me like I was weird, but they I think they knew in their mind, like we came here like that too, you know, like you will change, you know, kind of this weird environment. But this one time I was in ISSP in school suspension. The guy who was over it this time, he was also a part of the church. He was a fireman and I think he was in the reserves or something.
Speaker 2: But this was this big black guy.
Speaker 3: He was in the military and a firefighter. I didn't understand how he did them both, but that's what he told us all. And I just knew he was big, intall just towered over over me. He was in charge of giving me my work and just checking in on me that time, and in school suspension, he came to me and he said, Denisha, when is this gonna stop? When are you gonna change this? When are you gonna stop acting like this? Do you want to be in jail? Do you wanna go to jail? I forget how you phrased it, but it it was something along. It was like, do you wanna go to jail? Do you wanna be in jail? And I like started crying. I was like nothing before it had got to me. You know, I don't care. You can drag me out of the classroom, you can s send me home, call me stupid, fail me, fail me again, take away something that's so important to me. My life is crab. You know. I N I D D didn't see the meaning in at thirteen. My life was just very meaningless and I was just taking part in whatever it through because I had to. I had no control. And in that statement, I remember even like now, I'm like uh, because I realized that I guess I I I didn't have to go to jail, that was the norm. And he was asking me, do you want to do you want to be in jail because of how you're acting? And I think that was like the first time that I realized that my actions, like my actions like can determine my outcome, not because of everybody else. And he was basically telling me that how I decided to act all these many many years, I would end up being in jail, and I was like, no, that's not what I canna, very like childish.
Speaker 2: I don't wanna go to jail.
Speaker 3: No, I don't wanna go to jail. Like no. And that's when I decided to lay off the crap and to take ownership of my of my behavior to do better. And I tried really hard. I tried to do better. I I would listen to my teachers, I would get help, and by the first nine weeks my grades had risen. I went from making d's and f's consistently, maybe a C here and there.
Speaker 2: Just like that.
Speaker 3: That year, my seventh grade year, when I was supposed to be going into the eighth grade, I did not go to the eighth grade class. I went into the ninth grade class. I skipped the eighth grade, and that ultimately led to me graduating from high school. I don't think I would have graduated from high school if I had stuck with the district public school. I had seen so many of my family member's friends who dropped out. I think I would have dropped out too. I would have had a baby, and I would have probably been working at a McDonald's some fast food place that would have been my ultimate success story. Education literally saved my life. I became the first in my family to graduate from high school. I got a college degree, I went away to college, and then I moved to DC to work at the US Department of Education. I lived a fairy tale life compared to other members in my family, and it would not have been possible if I didn't receive people who were really invested in my life and in my education.
Speaker 1: And a terrific job on the production, editing and storytelling by our own Monty Montgomery. And a special thanks to Danisha Allen for sharing her story. She works at the American Federation for Children and now we know why. Also a special thanks to the Philanthropy Roundtable the folks there for turning us on to the story. In the Philanthropy Roundtable is America's leading advocate to support the causes we all believe in. And my goodness, what a story. What is it to tell you about the power of one adult to love a kid. All of us can have that effect. Folks, mentor and help a kid who might not have a dad, who might not have a good influence in their life. The story of Denisha Allen Hear on our American Stories.