Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Leanna Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the American Film Institute's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women. This podcast is a safe h This podcast is a safe ethical quandary for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Farewell. Isn't it wrong to lie? I mean, if it's for good, it's not really a lie. I mean it's so a lie, it's a good lie. Warning. There will be spoilers about this recent film. Yeh the Sianna. Had you seen this before? I had not, but you'll hear that I knew stuff about it for my prediction. Okay, please may I hear it right now? Please? Huh, yeah, no problem, I'll open it here. I go.
Speaker 3: Hi, Leanna, this is Ciena. I'm about to watch The Farewell. I have not seen this film, but I'm I listened to the podcast episode it's based on, I think because it's about what.
Speaker 2: A family who's not telling their grandma that she's who terminally ill because I don't think you have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the family member's decision in China, which I thought was kind of like a good idea. So anyway, I predict there will be moral quandaries and a lot of.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: It will be dramatic and sad, sad, I guess, oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all right, I love you goodbye. Whoa. Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: When it came out, I was like, wait a second, I know this story. I think it must have been in this American Life episode or something interesting. But it was really good. It was like super interesting.
Speaker 2: So I was very excited about it when I heard about it. Wow, yeah, oh my god. Okay, well here's my prediction. I would lie to hear your brain prediction fantastic. Okay, ready, hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch the Farewell. I all I know about this is it is devastuted, So I predict I might be devastuted and familial relations, maybe a bit of air travel will be involved. Okay, Yeah, and you know, I think there might be some lovely score, a lovely score of music to the film. But no worries if not love you. How you doing? By the way, I'm okay, well this is exactly why we put hey girl right here. Oh yeah girl, By the way, Monday, Monday is the deadline before we uh talk about you. I'm drinking okay, okay, look at this. I'm sorry. I just thought you'd ask so I was answering. Okay, No, I was asking, has me that's very bad. I'm loving this beverage. That's extremely it. Cianna's drinking out of a very art deco glass, a little bit of a chay moment. All of this just feels like, I don't know what you'd be proud of me. I don't know why. Oh okay, sure I'll be proud of you for that. What random say you'd be proud of me for this? And then you have to be yeah sure. I don't have further plans. My partner's mom gave me a chi mix for my for my birthday, and I actually made it on the stovetop yesterday because it was like my first day off in a while. Yeah, hey girl, though, I wanna I am asking about you, Hey girl? What's up? Hey girl? I My my old gym closed because a boutique fitness studio hates to see me come in. No, at the end of last month, what was it? What was the you'd do? It was Orange Theory Fitness TM, which ism whusive in the US. I was gonna say, like that called that being called a boutique. It's boutique. But they had four London locations and they closed all of them at the end of January. I know all of them. It's literally the third boutique fitness studio in as many years that has that I have crossed the threshold of and then soon after it has closed permanently, permanently. I'm like a portender of doom for boutique fitness studios. What are you gonna do now? So I joined just like a gym, a regular ass gym around the corner, an ass gym. Honestly, yeah, a little bit. These days that's the trend. And today I had when you join, you get like a free personal trainer taster session is what it was called. So you'd like do an hour with a personal Yeah, I had. I got to lick one personal trainer. No, you do a one hour session with a personal trainer. And what I learned from it is that every single part of my body is incredibly weak. There's no way that's true. You're so strong every part of my body. It was so humbling. I guess that's terrible. I think really what happened is I got absolutely the most out of this session because I went into it prepared. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, and as a result was rapidly humbled because I went into it knowing what I would like to work on and the areas that I know i'd like to work on. Sure, and to no one's surprised, those areas did turn out to be weak, and that's why I need to work on them. But as a result, it was just an hour of me doing things I'm not good at. Huh, totally, and that that was kind of a bummer. Yeah that's tough, Like you impress them with anything. You're like, give me squats and I can do them. Yeah no, yeah, yeah that would.
Speaker 3: Be I understand that would be sort of disheartening, especially when you've been working out so much for so long and.
Speaker 2: Then you're like, oh, I'm sorry. I considered myself to be a strong woman, but I guess every part of my body that's ever existed is a piece of garbage. Oh, I guess I'm made up of pieces of garbage.
Speaker 3: I was at my fitist a while ago in terms of like most frequently working out, and then my friend that I decided to go to like the gym in my apartment complex, right before I moved out of this apartment. Yeah, and she handed me one set of twenty pound weights and it.
Speaker 2: Was over for me because I normally just do like little weights. Yeah, And I was like, I don't actually know how to interact with these, and yeah, I looked like there was also a big mirror and watching myself trying to lift these twenty pound weights was one of the worst things I've ever had to see. No, Like I thought of myself in my mind, I'm like this like strong, badass, strong core, let's go. And then I looked like SpongeBob lifting up those stuff animal workout like the wells. It was so it was so humbling. I also, I don't mean to blame TikTok for yet another foible in our society, but what is good? What are people doing at the gym these days? I haven't been to a gym since like college, because then I was doing classes. Yeah, for most of my adult life. Going back today, everybody in the free weight whatever machine area, multiple people were doing handstands. What's that for? In the middle of the room, elaborate complex handstands. They were standing on their hands and moving their legs around in the air in ways I'd never seen before. And I said, what are we all training for? And why are we all knowing how to do this? You should only do that if you're like a professional mascot or something. Thank you. If you have to be very boldly doing things with your body for all to see, not just working out. Yeah, I'll have to keep an open mind when I return and remember that these might be professional mascots and to give them their training space. Are you about to be performing for a huge crowd of spectators? Perhaps because you better. That's the only reason I hope that I should hope that's too much. That's not what was going on in gym's back in my day. I wasn't seeing people doing handstands. That's for a gymnasium. That's for gymnastics. That is so strange. You're in the wrong gym, you guys. I'm so making the gym for being upright or horizontal but upright on your feet. It's too much. I'm just trying to get myself to even like stretch my neck out this week. Honestly, yesterday at the gym, I was stretching and I was like, oh my god, am I the hottest woman alive? And then I looked to my left and somebody was doing the same exercise as me, but was a thousand times hotter than I'll ever be in my life. And I was like, oh, I should kill myself. That is the worst thing ever.
Speaker 3: Going to a gym would be really hard in that way, because I'm like, I'm super content with my body. But if I were to see it in a row of people who go to the GM every day, I don't know if I could see myself like try to do like a good morning you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I know people run on the treadmill near me, and I have to pretend I'm like a horse with blinders on. I'm like, the pace I am going is acceptable, honest, I am an acceptable human woman, pretending it's okay that I am running at this pace and in this body, because it is okay that I exist on this earth as this present human woman. I am an acceptable human woman. I have to keep saying affirmations. Pretending that you're a horse is probably an actually helpful to do while you're on the treadmill. I just get down on our fours and clomp clomp away. But they're like, she's clopp she's really good. Ah, hey girl, hey girl, let's see. Let's see what's going on with me.
Speaker 3: I had some fun things to share, and now I don't remember them. I was sick last week, which is one of the reasons that I'm like so uncomfortable in my body this week, because it turns out when you lie in bed for a long time, it's very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Isn't that so dumb? Because it's meant to be recuperating, it's the most comfortable thing in the world, and yet anyway, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So I'm kind of getting back to my normal life. I'm just glad I'm not stuffy. I had a bunch of jobs this week, and it just had to be the week when I just felt just terrible. Just every day i'd wake up and be like, maybe today's the day I'm better, and it'd be like, how am I worse?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Well, here's one part of it. Here's something I found out. I think I have an allergy now to some.
Speaker 2: Of my god foods. What no, no, this is my greatest fear.
Speaker 3: I oh god, I have never had an allergy. But then shortly after the fires, I ate a salad with sesame sticks in it.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, I remember, and I gave around. I loved delicious from Trader Joe's.
Speaker 3: Let it be known, they're delicious. But the next day I was like, oh, my throat and my tongue burn. It must be from the fires.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then a few days later I ate another salad with all these sesame sticks in them, and I was like, oh my god, dude, the fires are like having an effect on me, like four days after that fact, even though it went away for a while.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, the fires. It's the fire fires.
Speaker 3: But then I was eating a sesame stick and it felt so bad to swallow, and I was like, oh, no, wait a second, We're like maybe I'm allergic to sesame. And then I haven't thought about it much since hasn't come up. And then I worked a long day the other day on a set and immediately went and got.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get No, you're vegetarian. My god, thank you. Sometimes I just I'm so happy we still connect, even though I talk about meat so much in more ways than one. Mama, I'm always talking about uh uh.
Speaker 3: I went to what's it called the Chicken Place, the chicken place where all the family members like murdered each other.
Speaker 2: What you don't know what? Oh, chicken, I don't know, chicken lore, chicken. It's okay, yeah, but I ate it. And the next day I was like, oh, I'm sick. Even my throat hurts today.
Speaker 3: I can't believe I'm getting sicker even though should be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then the next day, as I was eating it again, I looked down as I realized there was tahini.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And to be honest, anybody who has allergies like I could use some tips. I don't know anything about it. My tongue is really irritated and has been all week. I went to a dinner party and it was so hard to eat everything.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I do not know what's gonna happen. Okay, I'll pray for you. Thank you. Yeah. Speaking of great tragedies and not knowing someone's health outcome, yes, yeah, would you please give US A synopsis of the film The Farewell.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm pretty sure I finished writing it. Okay, The Farewell. Billy's grandma gets tests back, reporting that she is terminally ill, but she is not.
Speaker 2: The one who receives them. Her sister does.
Speaker 3: As is legal and oftentimes customary in Chinese culture, no one in the family tells nine I the grandma that she is sick. The whole family comes home to China for a staged wedding in order to spend time with nine.
Speaker 2: Nine before she passes. It is a very emotional ride for our protagonist Billy.
Speaker 3: Who is struggling to make ends meet in NYC and loves her nine I very much. It's tough to think about what life could have been like had she her family stayed in China instead of moving to the US.
Speaker 2: And of course it's tough because her grandma is dying. It is sweet and interesting, there's lots of family time. V end yes, yes, wow, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, Aquafina. Aquafina in a dramatic role. And dare I say.
Speaker 2: She's a great job.
Speaker 3: Certainly, Hey, no, no, nothing's wrong, You're completely fine. I would just maybe recommend during this ad break going outside getting some ice cream.
Speaker 2: Living your life Okay, just really try to live your life today. Okay, we'll be right back. You're gonna want to take advantage of these three minutes, that's all I'll say.
Speaker 3: Leana, show to move on to our phone notes, where we talk about the notes Duke on our phone while watching the movie.
Speaker 2: God Please Please. Okay, oh my god. Well we've asked similar questions to one another, so let's just do it. Dive right into this. Okay, and Sienna, your first note is would you like your family to be the ones delivering your tough news or naw?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, and Leanna, you said, Sienna, if you were dying, would you want to know? Okay, big questions, up topic, big questions. My answer is no, you would not want to know. Yeah, I'd love going.
Speaker 2: Out this way really. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like I do understand if it's to a point where you can't do anything about it, hmm, the stress to me, I understand that, Like, there's a certain amount of just enjoying life, and I think a lot of people find the peace on their own in situations like this, Like that's what you're striving for, is the piece that you might feel if it was just like okay and not the most stressful thing in the world. And one way for that to be the case is just to like keep going on with your life.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 3: I personally love this, but I also understand that there's like it's so you know, it makes sense, it works. It seems like it works in Chinese culture because there's already culturally so much of a as her uncle was saying later, like an understanding of what the family does for each other where it would be so random in the United States since the family structures here are so random. Yes, yeah, families, you have no idea if anybody's close, you have no idea. If they do have responsibility for each other, you have no idea if they care.
Speaker 2: About each other. Like it's just like yeah, yeah, it's a weird place trying to define family over here. That's so true. Yeah, it's tragic. Yeah, I think I would want to know. Yeah, I think I would want to know because I like getting my ducks in a row, Like I'd want to have my trash taken out literally and metaphorically before my time comes, and there's people that I would I'd be like, I'd like to get an apology from before I go, okay, who I think, I'd oh so many an a lot of long listed men. Okay, so you wouldn't want to say anything to anybody else. You'd want them to say things to you, which is completely absolutely absolutely I'd say, come to my bedside and apologize to me. Now is the time. And then I think, you know what I think would be fun is I would love to if I knew my time was coming, I would throw my funeral before I died, so everybody had to come and give nice speeches and recount silly anecdotes, fun from our time together on the on this earth, because like, what is the point of that happening if you can't be there to witness it and get all the compliments? You know? Yeah, so true, That's what I would want, and I would want to look. I would want to wear a big, glamorous dress in whatever state I was in, and I'd like there to be a talent show that is gorgeous. I want everybody. I want all my friends to perform in a talent show and do whatever it is that is their talent, do their absolute very best as your fine whatever their talent is. Yeah, that's amazing, say really nice things about me and then there's a talent show and then I can die like whenever after that. I love that idea. Actually, so i'd really I definitely want to know in advance so I could play the show. Yeah, that's a great idea because then you can be like, God, my friends really did slay, Like look at all these friends I am asked, who slay? That is so funny. That's what I would want. And then your question, would you like your family to be the ones delivering you tough news? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I don't know, first of all, just kind of my first thought was like, honestly, I'd love if my family was the one who knew all this stuff about me instead, so they can decide.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm. And you didn't have to. Yeah, so this iss liked a lot what the uncle said about it's our duty to carry that emotional Burthen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I what was I just thinking about one of the reasons I personally, Oh yeah, I feel like I get too precious about everything in life, like the smallest things ever about like, oh, this needs to matter, this needs to matter. So for me having that information which thing about life?
Speaker 2: You have no idea?
Speaker 3: It's completely possible that I will someday receive information of this sort and have to deal with it.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 3: Hopefully I'll be much older than and like more at peace with things, because I tend to just like I'd love to not overthink it and be.
Speaker 2: Like, yeahs the matter, This needs to matter, This needs to matter. This is what I'm suposed to do. This is what I'm supposed to do. Know is like, it's just it's okay, you.
Speaker 3: Can keep living life as you are. But yeah, I guess I was just thinking about.
Speaker 2: What it's like.
Speaker 3: I started kind of thinking about how my family would handle such information. I love my mom so much and she's really tactful, but then also sometimes when she has information, she like has to sort of insinuate it in some way.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's like do you think your family could keep this or like, do you think they'd handle it well? Or like, I absolutely could. This is one thing your family can really bring to the table. Is nobody talking about the absolutely fantastic at not telling anybody that's any of you. It could be on the table for any of you right now. You wouldn't know, but do you I yeah, I members of your family, it would be they'd be struggling to keep feeling you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Senna, I just want to say, you might want to get the ice cream today.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what what are you talking about? This life is actually for some of us really short. Yeah, go outside, No, I'll just watch TV. You know today doesn't feel like the best day to watch TV. Yeah, let's go. God, it would feel so threatening about to kill me. Am I getting the fareweld? Am I getting farewelled? Are you guys fairwelling me right now? Wait a second, you have to be honest. Is this a farewell? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I loved well. We'll get into the wedding more later, I guess. But like it's just a bunch of family members eating so much food, and then sometimes people get up and give a speech or sing a song.
Speaker 2: I please. I had the exact same opinion about this wedding. I loved it so much, Like this looks incredible. This is exactly what it should be, And you're sitting with the people you like the most. They didn't make them so anyone else. Yeah, they sat with their best family friends, like the best get to play games. Yeah, play games that are like mildly drinking related so you get to sit down the whole time. Oh so fun. Okay, I guess I'll keep going with it. Okay.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Leana, you said tea. God, I ate breakfast during this Otherwise I would be starving. Oh I mean, I gotta get me a good meal today. I got me a good meal.
Speaker 2: Right after this. Girl. Honestly, my heart out today is because fifteen minutes after that, a friend is coming over. But in that fifteen minutes I have to leave and go get a meal because I have nothing in my home.
Speaker 3: I when I went to get chicken in THEBA before I realized that I was allergic to it, of course, I were just two meals instead of one.
Speaker 2: And it was the smartest thing.
Speaker 3: I love that, Yes, smart because then I didn't just have food. I had a full meal waiting for me. And I don't think I'm allergic to the other parts.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I mean, I hope. But it was delicious. And you know what I ate this morning? A bit of meat. I ate like a bite of beans. I was like, here, I go, let us let's contextualize that for the listener. When I am sleepy and need a blast of energy, which is all the time, every day of my life. Siana texted me a couple of years ago and was like, you know what you should do. You should eat a bit of meat. Maybe just when she is right. She is wrong for me, but she's right generally and of meat. Just I completely.
Speaker 3: I think vegetarianism is like one of the best things that you can do, and I think you of it. I love the idea, but I genuinely don't know what you eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me neither. I certainly have oats in the morning. Yeah, you know. It's also funny I talked about I don't get enough protein. It's a real problem. I'm so sleepy all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I almost never cook meat because it's just like takes one like, oh god, no, absolutely not, no, the risk. I just eat it so hot, kidding feral. Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, Leanna tell me more. You said the overlaps between this and WASP culture are many.
Speaker 2: Oh, this was really fun. This was like a cultural exchange because of course there are cultural differences, sure, but man, were there similarities. A relative asking you within like minutes of you arriving, if you're if you've started seeing someone yet absolutely and I think that's universal. But hello from my culture to theirs, I said, and I see you mainly mainly just not telling people things. It's so funny that it comes from like what we think of so different. Yeah yeah, like strongly collectivist and strongly individual individual mmm mm hmmm. My granddad once called my mom and was like, I just wanted to let you know my surgery went well, and she was like, what surgery? Oh my god. He's like, I didn't want to worry you, but it's it's odd I feel. I feel like in WASP culture it ends up being very fracturing, whereas the purpose of it in this culture was like to come together, like everybody bore the burden together to help one person, if that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, hm. That is so so funny. Also, them being like I don't think you should come. I'm sorry, and she's, oh my god, I'm coming, like my grandma's dying. Wild you're gonna make it.
Speaker 3: You're unfortunately going to be too emotional, so just don't think you just don't come.
Speaker 2: There were so many lines in this that were absolute bangers. They were so devastating and they were so funny. Oh my god, oh I think we are gonna have different answers to this, but maybe not. You've written would you enjoy getting a massage with your aunt? I as I was, can we say, can we say oh yes or no? Answer? On three? Yeah, let me think for one second? Okay, okay, yeah, ready, okay, yeah, one, one, two, three, probably not okay, okay, all right. When I'm getting a massage, I'm already embarrassed to be there, but just by myself, nude body under a sheet, and I'm like, I'm so sorry, I'm really sorry everyone that this is happening. I love how close they are, but I was like, that is actually crazy for some like this is just like not everyone's experience of getting a massage with their aunt. No, and they seem like like she calls her auntie, but like when later when her dad is drunk and her mom takes her dad's pants off so he can sleep in his like shirt and box. Oh yeah. I was like no, no, no, no, no no no no no no no, that is crazy. To get out, exit the room, run go, And then I was like, oh my god, our culture our culture is just has read read sirens about absolutely the wrong things, you know, it's like, oh, actually, everyone is fine.
Speaker 3: A number of times. I you know, what parts stood out to me was when they go to the grave site. They go to the cemetery, and every grave looked the same. It's like you have at least at this plot, it's like there's a specific kind that everybody had. But it had like a little altar for all the families to leave all sorts of stuff, and it was very like there were so many different that's where like the uniqueness comes in, is like what your family leaves.
Speaker 2: But it was like it was just I thought it was really beautiful. I had a couple moments in this movie where I was like, oh, right, communism, I know, and the only thing. Yeah, I was like that. And it was like the apartment buildings at the beginning when she first arrives in China, and I was like, oh, that's why. I'm like, that's so beautiful. And I wonder how they thought of oh.
Speaker 3: H oh, okay, and you know, and you start getting behind it and then you're like, well, okay, but anyway, uh huh, it's complex. Really need to learn more about Chinese history because okay, her grandma fought in the war, I know.
Speaker 2: And that was not like a plot twist, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, oh yeah, probably a nurse or something. Nope, she got shot.
Speaker 2: I very much was like, oh, boy, which war I know? I don't know which war it is. I don't know. We don't learn anything. We're not not a single thing that does not involve us. Is crazy, Yeah, it is crazy. I know so little about world history. I don't know. Chinese history is so interesting, it's so long. I know, there is so much history there ancient cultures. It is actually crazy. I always think it's funny to watch.
Speaker 3: Movies or TV from like cultures that have ancient roots, because some of the tropes they have are like, oh, yeah, this is a funny trope. We have like, oh that's a funny trope. That's sort of like Charlie Chaplin. And they'll be like, yeah, this is a funny trope that's from like you know, three hundred bast or something. You're like, oh my god, you literally have so many characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah that spans dynasties. Awesome, that's really cool. Anyway, Yeah, absolutely, I love that. Uh Leanna, you said, okay, boo sucks. Oh my god, that's the one shot that Boo sucked, and immediately I said, oh, bad vibes, bad vibes off this kid. My name is not little Bao, it's Boo, just bow. Okay. Yeah, he's like playing his video games the whole time. Yeah, he has that like phone neck or whatever it's called where you're so used to hunching over. Oh yeah, technic. Yeah, that would be terrible to do that. It'd be terrible to have that. It'd be terrible for your next person. I know. I say that. I don't also have that. Yeah, do you have to get married to someone you've been dating for three months so that your entire family has an excuse to go visit your grandma? Maybe try talking to that person this ad break. We'll be right back, ah Leanna, we both were down. This line you wrote down is yeah, you wrote down she's she's dumb. I don't like her. Like I also wrote that down. This movie is so full of bangers, you said, Oh, and you said, lol me about all my friends partners, she's dumb. I don't like her, I said, my friend's partners. But it's like also just anybody who's brought into my life that I don't want to spend time with that's so real, that's I love. I think we as a society need to accept that there are people who are friends are friends with who we are not going to be friends with. And that's okay. I am really concerus. God, reaction is gonna be she's dumb. I don't like her.
Speaker 3: I'm going to point in my life where I'm confused about myself because I think myself as being quite nice and accepting of people, and like, yeah, sometimes to an extent that's like it annoys me, how like just default nice I am versus like having some when.
Speaker 2: People first me. But a number of people recently have told me, like, I'm really mean to some people. You are that the thing is, I'm just really mean to just random guys, like I just mean to boys, of course, but like especially just like boring.
Speaker 3: I guess what's happening is that I thought I've been really discreet about people that I don't like, But I'm not being the school.
Speaker 2: Have I told you I just stopped talking to them and turn away. Oh my god? Have I told you the story of the time that my flatmate's friend visited us for a weekend. I thought I was masking it so well. And then months later my flatmate mentioned them and was like, oh my gosh, yeah, I like that person who hates so much. And I was like, what do you think I hate? And they were like, yes, it was so obvious the entire time they were here. It's so funny. And I was like, what are you talking about. They were like, he said something and you said shut up? I said, or no. They were like, every time he made a joke, you said shut that's so funny. That is so funny. Shut up.
Speaker 3: My friend said something of like, yeah, well, Cianna's really mean to all the guys were bringing into the house, and I was like, what, We've never addressed that, but I guess I'm like, my friend brought a friend over who she's really close with, but I think it's just egotistical and annoying.
Speaker 2: And he like told her to go. He was like, put your shoes.
Speaker 3: On, and I like to her because they were going to go somewhere, and I was like, Oh, you're just gonna come into my house and just talk to someone like that.
Speaker 2: That's how you feel brought up. Oh my god, I remember when you met my somebody I had a crush on for a long time. You met them in person for the first time, and afterwards you just went all I can say is you g l Why? No, it wasn't even after it was while we were still in his home at the party he was having. I literally think I'm so discreet sometimes, and then I'm like, why did this person not talk to me? And it's like, Santa, because you were literally bullying them the entire time that you met them. You spelled out the word ugly to describe them. I completely stand by it. I literally support everyone in this world except for hear me up specifically boring, boring, inconsiderate, unfunny, lame white dudes. Nice. Okay, I have to read some of these nuts. Leonti who said if my whole family came to visit me but they all looked ugly and sad, I'd be pissed too. Wait, that is what the grandma keeps doing. She's like, yeah, you look really ugly. I don't think you should go out today. All of you look really bad and like somber, Like what the hell is going a joyful time? I'd be pee, Oh you look awful. Why did you come here if you're gonna be sad? And ugly.
Speaker 3: Honestly, her Grandma's observe at af Then you've also said you can't be weird at the wedding. Me to myself.
Speaker 2: Last summer and this year, I'll be going to a cousin's wedding in the US and will be so much that doesn't exist. No, I don't know when that one's happening, but it's real and will happen. My cousin's getting married in March, and I'm much like last year. I'm flying in the day before from the UK. I will be so jet lagged the entire time, and I just have to be like upright and normal and cheerful. Oh, I can't be weird at the wedding. Don't be weird. Don't be weird at the wedding. Oh my god, Siena, I had the same thought you wrote these graves kind of lit, yeah, and I wrote something almost identical to that. You said, is this when you said this is honestly kind of yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Oh I thought I said lit, but was sleigh. Oh my god, embarrassing for me. The personal trainer today, at the end of the session he was like, who's your favorite music artist? Just like randomly can I ask? And I was like, oh, probably Beyonce and he was like I knew it. I was like, what what does that mean? And then I was like, wait, do I give off that energy? He was like yeah. I was like, well, that's actually that means a lot to me. Thank you for saying that. But then I was like, what gave it away? And he was like, you kept saying slag nine times out of ten. When people say slay a lot, it's because they love Beyonce. Okay, that's so good. That's nice. I love to imagine how many times you were saying slay during this person session. I will say I did literally up topay every rep Okay, instead of grunts, I say sleigh. That's so funny. Anyway, I loved this scene at the grave where they bring like items that the person loves. I love that. I was like, that is just it feels like there are so many divides between Eastern and Western culture, and I feel like one big thing is like I feel like a lot of Eastern cultures have a dialogue around death. Yeah, we do not at all in the West, and they will like, like, death is not the end for people, And this was one of those lovely ways of like keeping that person's spirit alive, of like going and bringing their favorite foods and like smoke, like cigarettes, and like a coat, a paper coat for the winter so they don't get cold. I was like, oh, I love that. Yeah, we don't do death very good over here, No, we do not. Leonna, you said Ellen, Oh what the dog dog? The dog name was Ellen. The dog's name was Ellen. That was really funny. I loved it the whole. That reminds me of your family, an entire family, just facing a dog that is that's absolutely us. Yeah. It's like just trying to get the dog to do absolutely anything, and then the dog does and we all go yes, yay, yeah a hundred Sienna, mm hmmm. Yes. Your final notes are wait is still with us, but this movie is out now? Leanna you said yes, ny night, Yes, Okay. For context, everybody at the very end, well the beginning, the first like the title card is like based off a true lie hi, and then the very end they're like nine, I uh was diagnosed and six years later she's still with us, And you're what does this movie is out now mean? I guess you listened to the podcast episode what I meant to communicate with this, and it was quite late by that time, so I pretty much chyped that like uh, and then immediately fell asleep. So I apologize. But this movie is out now. What I'm struggling to understand is that she's not supposed to know. She's not supposed to know, and.
Speaker 3: She's alive, and they did a whole movie about how she doesn't know about this thing. You'd think she probably found out question mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, she's like, what's your movie about, honey. She's like, uh, nothing, I don't know. I'm curious about that. I'm sure there's like I hadn't thought about that at all. Also, the podcast had come out well before. I can understand her mom not I mean, her grandma not listening to that, but the movie, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I asked that question, but there's no way for us to have answers. So we'll find out in the trivia, which makes me think, should we move on to our next segment?
Speaker 2: Yes, please move to where we award badges for banquets. Oh yeah, yeah, I mean, honestly not this bow badges for banquets and tradges for.
Speaker 3: Uh traveling for hours and hours and hours. Oh and everyone's mad to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would suck. I have like four badges okay, I have seven. Okay, yeah, I assume you're talking about the dog a few times, so you probably have more, only ones, thank you. I have a badge for the doctor is a woman. Yeah, very beginning, the doctor they talk to is a woman. Hig girly high girl. Badge for this couple. I loved the couple who was getting married, who like barely knew each other. Oh, they were cracking me the heck up. Oh they're so awkward. They were medic relief. It was so hard to watch. They were so awkward that they ever spoke. Sorry, no, I don't think they Well, we'll get to that in my trages. A badge for that bejeweled and lacy baseball cap that the ant is wearing in the first scene. Loved it. Badge for quality time.
Speaker 3: This family spending so much quality time together, like they're barely on their phones except for now, and uh, it was just nice.
Speaker 2: They just enjoyed each other's company. So nice. Yeah, badge for it must be much nicer in America. It's just different. That was so real. And is a direct exchange, a verbatim exchange that I have had so many times in the UK. Really, do people think it's better in America or worse? Better? Well now they know, yeah, like post election it's been different. But my first like year and a half here or so, especially for comedy, everybody was like, oh, it must be so great in LA, like the scene there must be so good. And I was like, it seems different.
Speaker 3: It's so so different in the UK watching you do all these like festival like like little festival things and like competitions, like I don't know anything like that.
Speaker 2: In LA. It's like, I think it's different. Yeah, I think it's really different and getting your shows and getting reps to come and I don't know. Yes, it's just different. It's just different. It's definitely different. It's definitely different. Badge for this grandma. I just loved her vibe so much. She was so loving and so funny. Yeah, I just love touching your little butt, like, oh my god. But yeah, a badge for hahaha. These umbrellas the scene where Grandma's in hospital and they're all trying to find the hospital and it's four of them with different colored umbrellas was so really fun. Yeah, so fun to watch.
Speaker 3: I also love when they walked into a room and they're all trying to find an ear ring.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, yeah, that is fun. That is fun, just like moments of such like mundane every day Yeah stuff peppered in totally badge for carrying the emotional burden for her. Wow, that's beautiful, that's what I wrote. Yeah, A badge for that doctor is hot, a doctor that the grandma immediately tried to cut Billy up with. I was like, you're right to do so, Grandma, great instincts. Badge for showing somebody I'm adding.
Speaker 3: This one, which is one okay, badge for I forgot to say it earlier. Badge for showing somebody who's thirty in a global city struggling to find work. Oh yep, they're just like, yep, have you gotten like just getting uh getting an email back that says, oh you didn't get the fellowship. Yeah, like unfortunately thousands of people applied, and you're like, well yeah, that happens every year.
Speaker 2: Horrible. A badge for this dog Ellen Ellen Ellen, who sings Oh I love Ellen obsessed. And my final badge is a badge for OMG. This is the song Beyonce sings so wow, Okay, I do love Beyonce. During the wedding, one of the people who does karaoke sings a really beautiful operatic song. Yeah, and Beyonce sings that song in her sings a bit of that in her song Daughter off the album Cowboy Carter, Oh my gosh. And it's like Italian opera or some form of opera's Gorgina Gorgina trages trages.
Speaker 3: Oh, I also want to give a badge for the after credit song. Did you like that song after credit song?
Speaker 2: Wait, the during credits song? Oh, I definitely noticed it. I don't remember it now, so I guess not because they didn't uh trages. Yes, This trage I have is more of a confusion sort of situation where I just don't understand, so like, are the cousin the cousin and just girlfriends like they're married now? Are they gonna get divorced or are they forced to stay married or.
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: She Al said that grandma lived for six more years. You know, yeah, I don't know. I have two trages on that, Okay. The first one is a trage for it's crazy to me how the cousin is not helping his fiance at all. She literally doesn't even speak the language. Yeah, and he never is translating for her except once during the wedding scene. They do not seem like a good couple. No, yeah, yeah, in his defense, he almost never speaks. Yeah, that is true. Do you have another badge on that or trage on that? Yes, my other trage and this is not nice, so I apologize. My other trage is the cousin is so ugly, it's crazy. He definitely, they definitely gave them they they were they were. They had the look of comic relief. I'll say that I thought she was really pretty though, and then he was really funny. The hair was so bad, and I was like, what the hell? What the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: Both of their facial expressions were cracking me up so much. They were very like they were like Napoleon Dynamite levels of awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, trage fur What did I write down? Oh? Oh my god.
Speaker 3: What I wrote down was trage for she'll come to her wedding, And what I meant was tragh ford that moment where the Grandma's like, oh well, don't worry for your wedding, We'll do this, And that's the kind of thing of like grief and realizing oh, you won't be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so heart wrenching. Mm. My final trage is trag for the dog was only in one scene. Yeah, that's true, because the dog was on the poster for the film when I clicked play, but only on one scene. Tragh.
Speaker 3: My final trage is this is personal taste, and I wonder how you feel about it. But the very final song of the movie, I was like, oh what, Oh.
Speaker 2: I know they chose it on purpose and there's probably some significance, some like emotional significance, and so I shouldn't be just a hater on it. But it was like I really didn't like it. It was was it just like a in English?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just a song in English sung by like a theater person is what it sounded like, or like it was a choir song or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. I felt like the point was that it's very raw and maybe it was a cappella or something. But I was just like, hmm, I'm not liking this. Yeah boo, Well, Sienna, let's get engaged into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are at your cousin's wedding and Boo comes up to you while you're just trying to play a fun game with your family and interrupts the game and says, oh my gosh, Wow, playing a game with your family at a wedding really reminds me of a beautiful film about a young teen boy and his cell phone. And I'm going to talk to you all about it. It's called The Farewell. And here's every single thing I know. And in order to uh put Boo on a plane and send him away, here are a few things you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Farewell. Hmm, yes, Boo, I've seen The Farewell, and I understand that you are going to try to talk to me about it, but everyone thinks it's better if you don't. Yes, Boo, I have seen the film The Farewell. Extremely fun and slay fact. In addition to writing and directing the film, Lulu Wang also plays piano in this for the soundtrack. Oh my gosh, she is literally did she absolutely rip it on the piano during that one scene? I don't know. Yeah, that was sick. Awesome, Boo, I've seen The Farewell. Please stop talking and eat something. Look at your face, it's not right right. They said the meanest things that also were true.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, uh as you were just asking, yes, yes, bow, I have seen the film The Farewell. The person playing the piano in that apartment scene is Aquafina No way, she like she studied jazz and she's really good at piano.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's awesome. Badge for that. Damn yeah, that was that was awesome. I'm sorry, Bao, I've seen The Farewell, but I can't listen to you talk about it right now because somebody's just come on the mic for karaoke and it's Ellen. Yes, this is I guess interesting. Yes, Boo, I have seen the film. I've seen the film The Farewell. The director and writer Lulu Wang when she made them, she discovered that she had really underestimated, considerably, considerably underestimated the rates she would have to pay Chinese actors. For example, the woman who plays nine Ie is a very popular actress in China, which makes sense because she was so good, amazing, and Lulu Wang had to personally plead her to accept the role. She plead with her, yes, which I'm so glad she did. I'm so glad she did because it was awesome. She was so good, little round butt. All right, Sienna, let's have a sham wedding in the form of our segment should you watch this or where we tell you our beloved listeners if we think you should watch this film or if you should do something else with your time. My opinion is that yes, you should watch it. I really loved it. Yes, Leanna, what do you think I would say? Yeah? Absolutely, you can watch The Farewell. It's a cool one hour forty minute. We love that it deals with themes so true. It's interesting to watch it if you were raised in like a very very very Western culture. Yeah, I think if you're looking for something that's episodic and also about kind of like a meeting of like Eastern and Western culture, and I think we'll be discussing death a lot. You could watch season three of The White Lotus, which just started and it's set in Thailand this season and I'm one episode in and I'm loving it. Oh my gosh, I'm about to start watching it today probably. Oh, I'm so excited. Sianna, what would you rate the film, The Farewell.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I had a wonderful time. I really really enjoyed it. This is the kind of movie I love, So.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and give us a five. Yeah, gives this movie. It's so much I'm rating them so much higher now that we're just watching movies directed by women. To know, there's so much easier to watch, It's insane. It's like, oh, yeah, I enjoyed that experience. I guess.
Speaker 3: Oh, sometimes generalizing works because I always say that female directors are the best.
Speaker 2: But now I know it for sure, we are approving it. Yeah, I will give this film five delicious family feasts out of five. What about yourself? I will give The Farewell four Little round butts out of four. I'm out of five little round bots, little round butts out of five. I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was like a personal taste thing of like, it wasn't my favorite movie ever totally. I think because a lot of it was just like really real. But I loved learning about a different culture and their approach to something, and also seeing how it really really overlapped with my culture. Are who freaking knew?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 2: And that's it. Everyone that has been our review of the Farewell. Thank you so much for listening. We are on social media at toss Popcorn on Instagram and you can find us on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn for bonus monthly episodes in video format because apparently podcasts have to be videos.
Speaker 3: Now and join us next week when we will be watching the PoTA Ladies.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. I have already had it. I've already so excited. Here, thank you, we love you. Bye Farewell.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on toss Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I loved during the wedding photoshoot when a different bride and groom walked into their set o. Sorry we're lost. The little settings of this film yeah really fun, Like, what was that place