Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball.
Speaker 3: In a bright egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, frid Egg Egg, Frida Egg, Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the.
Speaker 2: The Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. We are here the final major of the year. It's wild. I'm still getting used to this setup where you got the players in March and then it's just this like insane sprint and before you know it, you blink, Uh, you blink. You can't blink during live, but if you blink during major season, the season's over. And here we are for the final men's major of the year, the Open Championship at Royal Birkdale. Birkedale obviously a storied, storied championship host we're going to talk about it in this preview episode. I'm joined by Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Labanna on the front end of this the back end, I'm going to talk with Derek Gary. He a friend of the Frida Egg from Ireland who's played basically all the great links courses in Great Britain and Ireland and has played Royal Birkdale a bunch. He's written on the website before for us and has been a wonderful contributor to the Frida Egg over the years. So it's great to talk to Dara, and then obviously Kevin and Joseph. Joseph recently did a kind of a strike mission to Royal Birkdale, so he'll give some of his thoughts on the golf course after spending a week over playing some of the great links courses in England. So Birkdale is kind of the most modern of the RODA courses in the Open and it's got an illustrious list of winners. It's widely known as the most fair Test and the champions kind of reveal a lot of people that won a lot of majors. So Peter Thompson won in fifty four, Arnold Palmer in sixty one, Peter Thompson in sixty five, Lee Trevino and seventy one, Johnny Miller in seventy six, Tom Watson in eighty three, Ian Baker Finch in ninety one, Mark o'meira in ninety eight, Padrick Harrington in two thousand and eight and Jordan Speith in twenty seventeen, so this will be the eleventh time it has hosted the Open Championship. Before we get to Kevin and Joseph, today's episode and our week of coverage of the Open is brought to you by our friends over at Mercedes Benz. From compact to powerhouse, Mercedes Benz offers a variety of SUVs, each with flowing lines and precise edges, expertly balancing elegance with aerodynamics. You can further customize your driving experience, whether it's through the vast array of interior and exterior options or the hundreds of in vehicle settings that can be personalized to best fit your needs. Intuitive mbux ai learning capabilities can recognize your habits and driving preferences to create driver profiles unique to each driver. The Burmaster three D surround sound system creates an immersive acoustic experience, with some models including optional speakers built right into the seat. Experience the power and precisions and versatility of Mercedes Benz SEU. They're not just on par with the best, they are the best. Mercedes Benz SUVs offer the space you need and the opulence you deserve. Enhance every aspect of your game with a Mercedes Benz SUV, from massage seats to ambient lighting. They level up for every ride. Mercedes Benz is proud to be an official patron of the Open Championship. All right, let's welcome in, Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Lamannia, guys off the top. You know we're gonna do three things, so this is one, you know. I feel like this is a consistent talking point every time we get here. Do we like this this major schedule? Do we like this being so condensed?
Speaker 3: No, I would love it if we were stretching into August. I think that would be a lot better in terms of the rhythm of the season. It would feel like I'm already lamenting that the World Cup is almost over, and I'm feeling because I've had so much fun getting into the World Cup, And I feel like if you got interested in golf and all of a sudden it was going so fast, you would feel like, oh man, I want I want this to go a little bit longer. I just miss the old schedule. When we're stretching into August.
Speaker 2: The World Cup is like a wrecking ball by the way, to like anything like Wimbledon is like humming, and I feel like, you see, there's like nothing about Wimbledon going on, and I feel like golf, the buzz around golf spent a little muted. And it's because all all the world is watching the World Cup.
Speaker 4: They have to adjust the open dates with the Olympics too in a couple of years. No, I don't love this current schedule, but I think also when it comes talking about the PGA tour schedule or the major schedule, I've kind of come to accept that there's really no perfect answer and it is really hard. I think it was better before, but it is what it is. It doesn't kill me.
Speaker 3: It's interesting any Like, I think just one file fub that like had a really hot summer last year, right and so one, you know, two of the four majors. I think maybe we thought that that kind of thing, like somebody gets hot and they could just reel off a couple of majors. So, you know, unless it's like Wyndham this week, it would be hard to sort of feel like that's held up right there. This year. I don't know if we get four different major winners it doesn't quite support the theory that you know, you can just get hot for a stretch and peel off a bunch for history.
Speaker 2: All right, what's everybody's first thing? Who wants to start?
Speaker 3: I'll go first. You know you mentioned this a little bit at the beginning, Andy, is Birkdale the fairest of the on the open rota? What I would say is, what's a more interesting question is is Birkdale more likely to reward people who are great in history? So if you do a little bit of just you know, research, Ian Baker Finch is the only person to win at Birkdale who didn't win multiple majors, And you know, there's probably reasons for that in some ways, like Bigger Finch kind of got the yips, completely lost his game trying to hit it longer, felt like he should compete in other majors. But Arnie, Peter Thompson, Leech, Trevino, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Padrick Harrington, Jordan Speith. That is a like Murderer's row of multiple major winners spanning across you know, from all the way from nineteen sixty to twenty seventeen. Last time we were here, What does that mean, it doesn't probably mean anything. You know, Joseph, as the stats guy, you would probably say, like, there's a lot of variants in there. But you know, if we're gonna sort of look at it with history, does that does that mean it's just really hard to win here as your first time Peter Thompson is the only guy who's first major of that stretch was at Birkdale. He ended up winning Birkdale again in sixty five. So I don't know, like if you follow historical trends, like does that mean Fleetwood, Patton can't Ley Ludwig, guys are not going to post that, or we just is it something that's just kind of like a kind of too much noise in it. I don't know. I think I kind of like the idea that Burkedale rewards people who are going to rack up a bunch of majors. Uh, And I think, you know, maybe that means you know what a Koepka or read Scottie Rory, someone there, someone who has shown like, hey, I'm going to add this to my historical resume.
Speaker 2: Joseph, why in your estimation would the thought be that Birkdale is the fairest test of the open courses having just been there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is as unsatisfying as it is to say both things are true. I think both things are true that if you looked at a lot of golf courses, regardless of the extent to which they rewarded fairness, they'd have a murderer's row of winners. A lot of great players win major championships. And you know, Matt Kucher had the lead with a few holes to play, would we still consider it a murder's row? If Matt Coucher had waned to speak.
Speaker 2: It'd be a It would be more fuel that the players as a major if Matt Kutcher had one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. But I do think this golf course, whether you want to call it fair, whether you want to call it it rewards skill, whether you want to call it more predictable than the other open venues. I think what you see at Brickdale is a very effective job at graduated penalty of you know, fairways that are narrow, but you can hit them. If you miss by a little bit, there's a penalty associated with it. You'll find your ball, but it's not you know, it's playable. And then if you get pretty far off you can get into some pretty thick vegetation areas. Not a lot of blind shots, not a lot of water hazards. There are, there are some holes where water is in play, but it's it's really not in play, like you'd have to hit something pretty far off line to end up in the water. And those are characteristics that tend to be more predictive. There's not like massive runoff areas and a lot of spots that you know, you could chip one and it comes back to your feet and one of the best players in the field runs into a seven like that. That's just not going to happen as much at Brookdale. I think you'll hear a lot of players say it's fair, it's right in front of you. But I think a lot of that has to do with it, you know, being a I think of it as a collection of eighteen strongholds. There's not one signature hole. Again like seventeen at Sawgrass that can be a little funky, but signature. To me, it's a collection of eighteen holes that are a really good test.
Speaker 2: Some of all parts. I think the other thing flatter lies than most links courses, less fair way undulation, so you know, listen, I am always going to be a little bit more on the golf is inherently unfair, so our golf courses should have some quirk and you know, aspects to them that are irregular. That being said, I think that this is you know, a firm like must visit Open Road to golf course. Is it going to be my favorite?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I think for a lot of people, if they played all the Open Road To courses, this would be their favorite. And it's just you know, like golf course tastes is is everybody's different. You know, everybody has a different opinion. And I think you know, from from an equitability standpoint, it does create a situation that that allows and you know, Scottie Scheffler to love this place based off of you know, his comments about fairness and you know, if you if you zero in on what he said at Pinehurst, you know, I think, uh, it'll be I you know, I expect to have a big name when here. Uh you know, I think the weather is it has been scorching there, so the golf course is going to be very dry. You know, just seeing pictures of other Links courses right now in the area, Uh, this place is you know we've gotten treated. I think like back to the Carnoustie uh Mullinari uh open where it was just baked out.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think there's a recipe for that type of setup. I do you know, wonder if the wind will blow based off of the forecast. You know, tends to not blow as much when it's really warm there, and and the forecast looks like fantastic. It's early, it's really it's Friday before. It's too early to like any island to know exactly what the weather is going to be. But it's clear as crap and warm, so I'm guessing we're gonna get really firm but minimal wind. So I uh I that is kind of my thoughts. I'm Birkdale in general. I think like we've had like the golf course becomes the story, and it was such the story at at Arono, mink And and Shinnacock. I actually think this is one of those majors where the golf course isn't going to be the main story.
Speaker 4: I guess while we're here then that's one of mine, is what people think of the golf course. So Andy, I guess you're saying that's not going to be one of the prevailing narratives, but I'm kind of interested. I think the most interesting facet of Birkdale to me is that there seems to be a diversity of opinions about the golf course within the circle of people who really care about golf courses and who really study golf courses. Because I think a lot of major venues there's sort of a separation, like people who are really into golf courses might like this place, but then like a lot of fans don't love it. I think about places like LACC in that conversation. This feels like one where, Yeah, people who are really into golf courses have different, different opinions, and that's fascinating to me. There's a lot of real puists, real students of the game who think Birkdale's one of the premier venues, and I think a lot of other people who had put it near the bottom. So maybe it's not going to be one of the main storylines, but that's something I'm curious how you guys think about this golf course coming in and then how your opinion evolves throughout the rest of the tournament. I don't know, Kevin, where you are on Birkdale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was there in twenty seventeen. It was the second Open Championship that I ever covered. You know, I remember feeling like this is a fun venue. I one of my things was how hard will Burkdale play. Obviously there's been some changes to the course. I was there when Brandon Grace shot sixty two, which at the time was the lowest ever round in a major. You know, Xander and Ricky Foller tied it at LCC and then Shane Lowry shot at sixty two at Valhalla, so you know, it doesn't hold up on his own. But it just didn't feel that round by Brandon Grace didn't feel particularly special, but the course certainly felt special, like when Speeth and Coucher were kind of throwing darts at each other in that back nine for a little bit, particularly speed the run that he went on. I don't know. I mean, I think, like I love that it is part of the rotation. I think just because it's got a lot of cool history and it's a you know, it has pretty good sight lines in terms of seeing, you know, stuff, in terms of walking along as fans, it just doesn't really as you think. I said at the beginning. Like the fact that it doesn't have like a hole that you're really looking forward to it's coming up, I think is a little bit of a downside, but you know there is you know, a gettable par five on the back. It does have, you know, an interesting sort of close. The par fives are late in the rotation, so it is you know, it's not like anyone is out of it when you know you can make an eagle late. I like it. I wish I wish it had one hole that just felt like, oh man, I'm so excited to see them play this shot. But I think it's still a good part of the rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to further elaborate on you know what I said earlier about it not being like the main character, I think when you look at the way Ironoming played, it like thrust itself into the discourse because it was like we hadn't seeing a PGA play that way in a while. It was you had you saw players just kind of flu mixed by a variety of things. Then you have shinnakock this in your face, like this is you know, as hard as golf can get for for high level players. I think this is one that kind of just like rolls the ball out unless the guys go play. And I think you know, from that standpoint, there's no devastatingly challenging holes, there's no devastatingly hard features. What it requires is you, you know, I always love the Jeff Ogilvie talking about stroke play tournaments professional golf. It requires you to build a really soundhouse. And round one you're laying the foundation. And you know, when you have cracks, it's going to show up later and it's going to be who can who can build the most proficient house, the most you know. And I think that the golf course taking a backstage isn't always a bad thing. I'm always going to want something that like really puts people in unique positions. I don't think this golf course and I you know, to kurktail all this, I haven't been there. This is just me studying it from abroad, you know, having covered the the twenty the Speeth Open twenty seventeen at home. You know, I think like this golf course, it requires a lot of skill. It is one that is going to grind you down over eighteen holes, and you can't hit loose shots, as Joseph elaborated, but there's nothing out of this world that you haven't seen before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think to that part of maybe where this course suffers from its from what people think about is I think a lot of the strength of the course are kind of earlier in the round. Like I think the first twelve holes are some of the best holes in the most interesting variety, and probably generally we think about professional golf venues when it has a wildly entertaining closing stretch, that tends to be something that people like. But to your point, Andy, what I would just emphasize from having been there and then you know, looking at some of the past winners and rewatching some of those tournaments, the shot value is really high. It just is like there's some elevated tea boxes where if there's wind, you have to strike the ball well, you have to be able to control your trajectory. So I think to your point about will the golf course be the main character, you know, probably not, but if the wind does blow, I know it's not forecast too, but if it does pick up, it's going to be a really fun test that I think people are going to be pretty grabbed by.
Speaker 2: M hmm, all right, that'll get me to I guess my first thing here unless anybody has any more on the golf course that they want to go into while we're here.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of there's changes that the changes are going to be a popular talking point, but I don't think they're gonna have a super significant tacked on the tournament, But go ahead.
Speaker 2: The thing, the big thing I would hit on is like this golf course has evolved from it's basically history. It is a constantly evolving golf course, you know, And and I think that's the thing one of the aspects of it. It was intended to be a championship golf course and evolved as professional golf has evolved. I think what I'm most interested in, uh this week is is going to be Rory McElroy. I think him and Scotty are at the top of the board for various reasons. I think, you know, and I'm sure we're going to talk about Scotty. Scotti's is more of like is he going to go are we on this incredible run? And is he going to go a bagel be a bagel boy on majors in twenty twenty six? For Rory, to me, it's really can he get that second major in a year, it would be, you know, the second time in his career they won two majors in a year. Not many players in the history of golf have won multiple majors in multiple years. On top of that, I think the other big talking point, and it's been brought up this week at the Genesis Scottish is just how little golf he's played and you know, and that's like a question I would have is like, has he you know, we used to hear Tiger talk about competitive reps all the time, and has he played enough golf to win a major? Because in the lead up to the Masters, he played a good chunk of golf, Like just the nature of the way the calendar breaks in the early season. You've got Pebble, Genesis, Arnold Palmer players, he's playing, you know, twice twice, you know, a bunch of tournaments in the lead up and since the since the Masters, it's just basically been a cadence of one tournament, major, tournament major. That being said, it could be roughly the same exact you know, it's roughly the same about of golf. It's just less regular events before majors. And I'm just I think, like, from what I've seen, I don't think he's been quite as sharp. And I say this as he leads the Scottish Open through two rounds. He hasn't been. You know, he wasn't as sharp at the PGA. He wasn't as sharp at the at the US Open as he was at the Masters. But that's golf. That's kind of the way it works. I think from a mindset perspective, he is in the best mindset about golf that he's ever been. It feels like he is really at peace with like how golf fits into his life. And I think that will yield a lot more satisfying finishes at major championships. And this would this would scream to me as a golf course, if it's firm that he would play quite well at I.
Speaker 3: Would totally agree. Andy. I think, uh no one has ever like in the modern game, really been better at fixing their own flaws and their own swing than Rory. Like he you know, you see Scotty like having to work through stuff with Randy Smith or the people you know on the range, Like Rory's really good at like figuring out what's going on wrong with me and fighting those subtle tweaks, and I think that we are sort of trending through like a point in the summer where he's like been playing pretty good but then had some time off to sort of get really dialed and you know how badly like he would love another Open Championship just being you know, from you know, the that area. And I think that truly, like I totally agree. I think that this course sets up better for him than any of the courses this year other than the Masters. Like I just feel like the line between like, you know, hitting a good shot that isn't warded whatever isn't quite as thin like as it was at Shinnakock, and so he can get away with like a little bit of loose stuff here and then his talent can make up for like, you know what, now I'm gonna go on a four birdie's and six hole run. I really think he would absolutely be the favorite coming in.
Speaker 2: I think, like one of the other things is just his experience in majors. There is like just this level of I think he's mentally got to a place where he like really understands what he has to do to be where he wants to be, Like and whether like everybody's going to point to Shittacock, Oh, what a disappointing finish. Like, the reality of Shittacock was he was like right where he needed to be on Saturday, and he played a terrible nine holes of golf. And that's you don't win a major if you play bad nine holes of golf, generally on a high leverage moment. So you know, when you think about think about that like he I think the reality that people don't think about enough with majors is like, really, the the first two rounds is really just about getting you into a position to have a shot on the weekend.
Speaker 4: I think this is a great litmus test for Rory and we've talked often about how he's the most complete version of himself, that he's a much better player now than he was ten to fifteen years ago. The iron play has been pretty sharp this year, the driving accuracy has been a little bit hit or miss. So I think with particularly this golf course Brickdale, it does mute one of his biggest strengths, which is power. And it's not a golf course that you can overpower. It's not a golf course that you can freely swing away with driver, it's gonna take driver out of his hands often. It'll be interesting to see like some of these dog legs where Rory tries to go over corners and where he plays with an iron off of the team more conservatively. So I think it's a great It's not like my dream fit for Rory. I think there are some ways in which a his power being muted and be Sometimes he has a tendency to get a little wide with the driver, especially this year, like it could get him into some trouble. But I think the flip side of that is, yes, he is the most complete player he's been. If he's hitting some irons off T's and he's a little sharp with his iron play, he could be right in the mix. So to me, it's just a great litmus test of where Rory's game currently stands. And yes, the driving accuracy has been a problem. He didn't drive it well at Augusta despite winning. But you know there are ways around that he can either if he's feeling good, you know, go over some corners. Six is a good example was rewatching twenty seventeen, and Rory's just going right over the dog leg with a driver. He's being aggressive. If he's not feeling as good with it, he'll at least have the option to down. So I think it'd be really interesting to see that Rory the tactician, the way he decides to attack this golf course. And then then also we'll get a good litmus test for how sharp Hiss iron plays, which is going to be a huge factor for him.
Speaker 2: The I think, you know, it's fascinating what you look at where he's moved himself up, where we've gone from this this drought. Will he ever win a major again? Now he's won two Masters, and you you know, he's moved to six majors in the modern era. You know, if he gets one more, there's the players ahead of him in majors, the only only players ahead of him in major totals or Nicholas Woods, Hagan, Hogan and Player and Watson. I mean, if he gets another one and maybe one other one, he's in it. Like when you talk about Mount rush like when you get to the discussion of who's the Mount Rushmore of golf. I think if he gets to eight, he has a legit argument to be on Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 3: I you know what, that's a pretty bold statement, but I don't. I don't want to shoot it down right away, because like if you're saying Rory's got seven more years of being like a truly, like you know, injury free, hopefully good player, I would bet on getting one at least one or two more majors out of that.
Speaker 2: It's it's a pretty wild situation because like he's just like a way from where the discourse was two years ago to now. It's like this, it just doesn't feel it felt like it was he was just stalled, and now it feels like, oh my god, like all those heaping career, like those crazy expectations that were heaped on him at twenty two are actually still all in play.
Speaker 3: I think what would be interesting to me andy two is that he'd be the only guy other than Tiger who had like a big drought, a big stall and then like found it again and one, you know, let's say three more majors after the drought, maybe four, and Tiger really only did it with one after the long drought. And so that's what's fascinating is that most people's majors other than Nicholas are compressed into a really small I guess Gary player would be maybe the other one, but it compressed into a smaller time period. And if he is winning majors into his forties, then that I think makes it a decent case of like, you're the greatest European of all time. You won all these majors in the modern era, and you did it over a course of time when you had your absolute peak prime and then your second prime. It makes a decent case.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I you know, it is fascinating. It's just a fascinating career in terms of the whole the whole arc, everything that's that's happened. And you know, I think with everybody's talking about this reduced schedule and he's I think he's being He's been one of the smartest players ever about longevity and from probably his mid twenties on figuring out, how can I play this sport at a high level as long as I can? And I think in a way he's taking almost to Justin Rose approach, but ten years earlier than Justin Rose found this approach where you know, maybe not ten seven years earlier, where it's we're going to do everything we can to peak for these majors. Make sure my body's right, My my attitude and my you know, mental mindsets, right, and you know, and I think part of that attitude of mental mindset is at this point in Rory's life is like life off the golf course. You know, people don't people look at golf as like this dream professional golf is this dream job. And I'm not gonna say it's not right, but holy shit, if you do it for twenty years, what a monotonous life like? It is not you know, you're playing golf. So I'm not saying this is, but it is not dissimilar to like some of the more monotonous jobs in the world, where it's like, all right, I punch in and this is how I go to work, and this is I do the same thing every day. You know, I go to the same cities and I have to stay at the same hotels. Like I know this might sound a little out of touch, but there is a lot of monotony in pro golf. And I think like setting yourself up mentally as you play it longer and longer gets more challenging.
Speaker 4: I was pulling it up as you were saying. He said it the Scottish yesterday. I'm nearly twenty years into this I need to do everything I can to keep my enthusiasm as high as possible, and playing a lighter schedule definitely does that. So I think to your point, Andy Rory's longevity is I mean, he's a unicorn for a lot of reasons, and playing that level of golf over twenty years, we just don't see it. We are not seeing it in the modern era, like there's nobody else doing it. You can talk about Justin Rose or Adam Scott, but those guys haven't been in the top ten consistently year and in year out for twenty years. They've peaked, but they haven't been consistently in the top ten and all the physical tools that it requires. Sure, but I think, yeah, that keeping your enthusiasm high, being motivated enough to show up every day and work hard. Like people are upset that he's skipping Memphis last year. Would you want to play the WGC Memphis or not WGC a playoff event in Memphis twenty years into your career.
Speaker 2: I just need NBA players to go to Memphis because of the hotel. Think about golfers now are jam in Memphis.
Speaker 3: I just think it's I mean, he's earned the right a little bit to choose, like a lighter schedule, like if you've won enough times, I still feel like even despite all the changes and hey, we're going to eliminate these spots whatever, Like I think that's an important part of golf's history and tradition, Like if you have accomplished all these things, you should be able to pick and choose a little bit of a lighter schedule as you go forward, Like you don't have to. You shouldn't have to be the marquee person who's holding up the tour. It ought to have to sort of have other people who are, you know, filling that role. And I just don't quite understand the outrage about it, Like, no, he should be out there like grinding every single thing. It was a different time and a different setup when he was like, hey, everybody should play in all these signature events, and people keep banging on him like you're the one who thought up this idea, man, that that might as well have been like a decade ago in terms of like how much has changed in the time of golf since then, We've had a whole lead, you know, collapse in the sense where now it's there going around begging for tax credits UH to sort of set up the future of their league, so it's it's not the same as it was.
Speaker 2: I I think the one final piece that I'll put on this is like, I mean, he's got a he's got a five year old daughter, and if you could, you know, financially, and had flexibility in your life to set up set aside time to to you know, like be present and with your with your family as much as possible, it's like he's in like the gravy position of like the the age of your kid that you want to be president in and available for all of that, you know, like you know it in seven years you get your you got a teenager, and they probably don't want to spend as much time with you, you know. And and I think there's an element of that also which he probably energizes him to play better golf, you know, and to be more interested in golf. This is where like, yeah, I I think, like somebody once told me, it's like the most the toughest thing. The type of person that tour golf's the hardest for is someone who is intellectually curious, because the monotony of it will just crush you, and you have to have pursuits outside of golf, Like I think, like of like some of my you know, one of my like Zach Blair, he goes and plays golf courses all over the place when he visits, Like he spends this way less time on site than other people. He's doing it for ten years. He's not doing it at the level of Rory, of like the caliber of play, but like that's one of the ways that he energizes himself week in week out, Like it's it's a it's a fascinating asspec. All right, let's get to the next thing. But first, let's take a break. We'll keep rolling on YouTube. Let's take a quick break on audio platforms. All right, Joseph, what's your next thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should talk about Scotty. We talked a lot about Rory. Should talk about the other best player in the world, the undisputed best player in the world, Scotti Scheffler. You know he's going to be coming in off his first misscut since the twenty twenty two FedEx Saint Jude speaking of Memphis. But Scotty missed the cut this week at the Scottish Open. Certainly a surprise, but not a complete shock. If you've been watching Scotti Schffler throughout the year, and I don't want to overstate his struggles, because again, he is clearly the best player in the world, but if you've been watching weekend in week out, Scotti has been just a little bit off here and there. He's hitting uncharacteristically wide. I think his drive has a lot more curve in it. He's hitting these kind of these big wipeye fades more often than he was in the past. He used to never miss right off of the tee. We're kind of seeing a two way miss again. Still playing great, great golf, but I mean last year he was in the top ten in all four majors and he won two of them. This year could be a year spent in his primer. He does not win a major championship, and I think that's gotta be the biggest story coming into this Open. That's player related.
Speaker 3: I agree, Joseph. I think, look, you don't want to do a victory lap, but I think you deserve a little bit of, you know, kudos here for early calling this that he would just be a little bit off this year that we might have. You know, it's really hard to maintain the peak that you had, I would be more concerned. I guess the miscut thing. It just feels a little bit like an anomaly. And he shot sixty eight to seventy two. Obviously guys are sort of going a little bit low at Renaissance. But I don't think if he had shut seventy six in this last round, I think I would feel a little bit more like, holy crap, like what's going on with him? But it doesn't feel sharp, And maybe that's the birth of a second kid. Maybe it's your body is physically changed, just to hair. You know, there's some soreness, there's some you know, lingering, you know, just kind of reps grind you down a little bit after winning so much last year. I don't know. I mean, it doesn't feel like he's ever I talked to a couple of players this year and it's like at the beginning of the year, it's like, man, when he is on the leader board, you're kind of scared, like you are like, oh crap, like he is coming. And it doesn't feel that way right now, like he if I think if like it at Shinnacock, if he had played great in that last round, that all of a sudden, that magic that he had would have been sort of reaffirmed in everyone's eyes in terms of narrative, like, man, Scotty is coming, you cannot like withstand the inevitability of him. And right now it just isn't that. I don't I don't think that fear is right there and other people's hearts when they're coming just watching like Windham really like just flat out play better than him all in that final round. You know, these greens are a lot flatter, So I feel a little bit like, man, if he's had problems like reading Putts all year, you know, he's had Ted Scott reading Putts for some of them, he's sort of tried to go back and read some, so maybe like if the reads are just a little bit less complicated, he rolls in two or three that he wouldn't have otherwise, and all of a sudden, like that momentum starts to build a little bitfferent this week. But man, it's surprising that it just felt so much like we were on the verge of this Dude's gonna rip off a ton of victories and it just hasn't quite happened.
Speaker 2: It's a reminder that golf's always always counterintuitive to what you think. Whenever. It's almost as if whenever there becomes a popular group think. I mean like I at the beginning of the year, I was like, I don't see how he's not gonna win or eight times again, like I just don't see how this is possible, and sure enough it's it. It never sees this amaze me. How like whenever you think that something is like this is a fact, a matter of fact in golf, that it ends up being the complete opposite. Listen, like all this set, all of the set, he is still without a doubt the best player in the world, which is wild like there, and I think, like it's it's funny to me, is like you know, there's so many you know, way if you watch you know, so many people will will not go and say that he's not the same player he was last year. But it's like undeniable. You know, Brandall's done a great job on Golf Channel like undeniable, he is not playing at the same level that he was playing at. I think, Joseph, you've done an excellent job talking about Listen, like all these events that he's like in the mix for he would have won by five or six last year with how he was playing, and it's and and some people are like, oh, the players around him have leveled up their game, Like I don't think they have. I just think that he's not playing as well. And you know, there are a lot of Tiger comparisons with what he did the last three years. And you know, Tiger went a couple of years in the middle of his prime without winning majors. And the thing about like if like this is this is arguably the perfect open open setup for him, especially if the wind doesn't blow, it's firm, it's a fair golf course. Like this is as good as is gonna get for Scottie. I expect him to be in the mix, and sometimes a miscut before gives him a little time to just work on some stuff. Is better than just like you know, wailing away on Saturday and Sunday without your best stuff like there are that you know, the miscuts not a It's not going to change the way I'm thinking about Scotty this week. I think he should be the favorite. But the the thing about this is if he doesn't get it done, he has nine months to think about how he didn't get a major this year, and I think that's the heart, that's the crazy. The weight of this week is about oh my god, like I didn't get one and now I have nine months. And maybe it's a good thing for Scotty because he talks about how like accomplishment kind of became just like, oh, another one, and maybe this is the best thing that could happen for Scotty in the long run.
Speaker 4: Oh look, if you're trying to make the argument Scotty is not any is not a step down, like you're just not paying attention. And to your point, Andy, if he doesn't win one, which he very well could, he should be the favorite. It's possible he goes the whole year where his only win is the American Express and that was at the very beginning of the year.
Speaker 2: And first start of the year, the first start of.
Speaker 4: The year, and that's not the strongest field to win. And just for a little more reference, like last year he was the co leader and two of the majors after fifty four holes and one to them. This year, the closest he's been after three rounds by major is within four. He's just a little step off. And people have been saying, like well, well, it's just the first rounds that are kind of getting to him, because we've seen that throughout the year, whether it's at the Waste Management or the Genesis. And then you have other people who are like, ah, he's been kind of getting in the mix, but like you know, he's not able to get it across the finish line. There's this this little and I think sometimes we use that kind of terminology to describe something that's much simpler, which is not some knowistical first round struggles or final round struggles. It's that your game isn't quite as good as it was a year ago. You're not quite as sharp. People have always said the same thing with Speef, that like he's playing good individual rounds, but he can't put them all together. Yeah, that's golf skill is being able to put them all together. And like you said, and these are tournaments we saw Scotty, especially late Saturday afternoons, there's like a signature late Saturday afternoons, Scotty rattling, you know, four birdies off over seven holes and immediately it's like, oh, he was down to, now he's up to going into the final round and he wins by three. We're just not quite seeing that brand of Scotti Scheffler. And we might see it at Brickdale, we might see it next year. I have no idea, but I do think there it's Anybody who wants to to analyze golf seriously has to acknowledge that this is not the same Scotti Scheffler's last year.
Speaker 2: The perfect encapsulation of what you just said, Joseph is the way he closed Saturday at Shinnacock. It felt like, Oh here he comes. He birdied sixteen, I believe, and it felt oh wow, this he's this, he's gonna do. He's gonna do this surge. He's gonna get close to Windham and he's gonna he's gonna be right there. On Sunday. He misses seventeen green, which is like bread and butter mid iron, short iron, Scotty Scheffler, best iron, and the player in the world makes a bogie. Then he hits a great drive, great wedge on eighteen to three or four feet and misses the putt. And that's like the encapsulation of this year versus the like last year. Yeah, exactly. It is seventeen. He hits the green and he's walking away with worse of three, and then he makes a birdie on eighteen and he's two shots closer to Windham, and then Wyndham struggles out of the gate and Scotty's right there, right, that's the difference. And then he doesn't play the way he played on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Frankly, yeah, he's I mean, statistically he's half a stroke worse this year than he was the previous two years that approach, So like that's just like bear it out right there, naked stats, Like you're you he's still the best iron player in the game tournament, but you know exactly two shots tournament that he could have that that's the difference between three wins and one win.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it'll be it'll be fast. I mean, I like, like I wouldn't take anybody before him if I was picking like players to win in terms of like if you said this is a draft, you have to place the order and and who you think is gonna win, I'd still put Scotty Scheffler first. But it's not the way we felt about Scotty Shuffler last year at Port Rush, and there was a lot of doubt about like could he win on links course, all right, what's up next? Kevin?
Speaker 3: All Right, I think we stalked him Young?
Speaker 2: Oh man, No, no, no, no, no, no, we got.
Speaker 3: To sorry, we got to hasn't had a top twenty five in the last four starts since the truest right now. I'm not saying this is a permanent thing, but the putter is a problem again. Hasn't been in positive strokes gained in that stretch. He's losing half a stroke on the greens, between half a stroke and a full stroke. Since May. We kind of felt like he had solved putting, but has he Like this is the worst I looked it up. This is the worst stretch of putting he's had since twenty twenty four. Not a huge number, not huge emphasized, but he hasn't had four consecutive tournaments where he's been negative strokes game putting in that stretch since twenty twenty four. What's going on with Cam Young? We thought that he was ascending, We thought that he was there, you know, he's so he's literally leading the Masters by two strokes at one point, one of the players obviously before that. Right now, it just feels a little bit like he's he's not the same in the same conversation as the top players in the world. How do we get the Cam Young back that we had earlier this year?
Speaker 4: Gosh, we're doing like, you know, tournament breakdown of Cam Young's putting, and I feel like, come on, no, it's fair. That's we've made it that this is you know, one of the main storylines coming in that will take it good. I think a question with Cam is how healthy he is, because I don't know anything, but he canceled his press conference at the US Open, and he also had you know, tape on his wrist, which he has had tape on his wrist often. But I think that's something with Cam that I'm always like kind of trying to monitor. Is he fully help.
Speaker 3: Treating And it's like he's a football team, like hiding injuries, Like what benefit does he you know, mentally for like not disclosing what's going on.
Speaker 4: Well, he doesn't cancel press conferences often, so I do think that there It wouldn't shock me if there's some kind of discomfort, whether it's his wrist or something else. I don't know if that explains putting, that would be more likely to explain another part of his game. But I actually really I like this golf course for Cam and I think, you know, he played really really well at Liverpool, played really really well at Saint Andrews. There shouldn't be a lot of excuses unless there is some kind of injury, which you know that's not publicly known, so I don't think he can get to use that as an excuse either. Yeah, I think he needs to step up and play really well. Is he a top five player in the world is a legitimate question right now versus a couple months ago, where I think anyone who didn't think he was a top five player in the world was kind of nuts. There's probably pretty good argument that he was the third or fourth best player in the world. Him, Fitzpatrick Rahm have always, you know, have kind of been in that three to five zone. So yeah, I think it's a really important week for Cam to potentially punctuate his breakout season. We don't know how long these kinds of runs go. He was in the mix the Masters, didn't get it done, and then didn't play great in the other two majors. It's not a wasted year if he doesn't play well next week, but it does feel like a pretty important year to kind of encapsulate a rise for one of the idea, I mean maybe great players. But if he goes out missus the cut, then it's a little bit like yeah, twenty twenty six was promising, but it never fully materialized.
Speaker 2: You know, My question is did we just see a nuclear hot putting run? And like is the old expression of a tiger can't change his stripes? You know the situation here and here's here's the aspect. Cameron Young is so talented tea degreen. He can win major championships without putting great. He is one of I would say probably five players who can who can do that. He can ball strike the crap out of a place. And if he just puts average, it is you know, I I think like the like Scotty has turned around his putting to where now it you know, for two plus years he's been a A plus like a very very good putter, and it's it's you know, I think he still has hiccups here and there, some days the stroke doesn't look perfect, but like he's done it for a long time. Cameron Young hasn't strung together like a year of sensational putting. And it was a mirror kind of like six months and I just wonder, like, you know, is how do you It's hard to like consequentially change go from below average to great. And for a while he was like a great putter. I mean, that was the thing the change. And my question is is this just a blip on the radar he's not seeing the line well and he's just having in a little bit of a putting funk that totally happens to everybody, or is it something that is just like he's just regressed back to the meat. Did the regression monster, as PJ likes to say about Pete crow Armstrong, did the regression monster come for for PJ and Joseph's beautiful boy PJ could jump in? Did the regression monster come PJ?
Speaker 5: This is uh I'm expecting to pop in here. Yeah, I mean the regression monsters always is always lurking. I do think like you said, I mean, it could have just been an absolute putting heater. But I do think that the floor is higher that it did. The floor should be raised from where it was eighteen months ago, two years ago, where the putting was a capital all caps capital be problem. The floor should be raised. It should not go all the way back down to that point. I think maybe this is just just hoping out there as well.
Speaker 4: Also, I think we're I think we're being a little overreactive. Cam was also a pretty good putt of for like a year and a half, it was more than six months, and I think this is just a couple weeks stretch really going back to Sunday at Quail. Sunday at Quail was a nightmare for those who watched that at the Trust this year when he was in the mix to win, it looked like the old Cam young putting. I think we're going to see him over the next six months, whether just next week or not, over the next year, return to being a solid putter, maybe not one of the best putters in the world, but a solid putter. And I do you think he's a really really good chance to win that.
Speaker 2: I think PJ has a completely alternate theory.
Speaker 4: Pj's worried.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think there's there's a chance that Justin Thomas just kind of zapped zapped his powers when they switched putters. But that got co opted by PGA Tour Live without Credit, by the way, So I'll just throw that out podcast.
Speaker 3: I would just like to put the theory that he bottomed out at the second round of the Travelers when he shot seventy one when guys were flirting with fifty nine, and that we've slowly kind of dead cat bounced like up here. Okay, So I'm thinking, and he played pretty well Travelers in the last two rounds, so you know, maybe we're we're trending in a better direction.
Speaker 2: I'll I'll tie cam Young to a topic that is a growing list that Camyong's squarely on and near the top of is the best player without Major. I know Joseph wants to talk about Tommy Fleetwood, who would be squarely on this list. So I will just kind of rattle off players on this list we have. You know, obviously this list is like this has been just kind of like an ongoing thing about majors for years. And you know, back in the day, Colin Montgomery was a poster boy for this. Phil Mickelson, until he won, was a poster boy for best player without a major. You know, Lee Westwood never got the major. Him and Monty never got the major, were constantly on these lists. Ricky Fowler was one that got brought up a lot. You know, I don't know if any of these players on this list right now are at the level of I mean, I think some of them are at the level of Ricky. I don't think any of them are at the level of the Monty Phil and Westy conversation. I actually, I don't think we have like a truly truly great player without a major, But we have some like players that are sending and I'm you know, you have Chris godder Up, who obviously has won just a ton. He's won four times basically in the calendar calendar year starting with last year Scottish played T four, played great at Port Rush T four at Port Rush, obviously one last week at the year. You have Victor Hovelin, who I would make the argument is the most accomplished player on the list. Has been in the mix and a lot of major championships, been really close on Sundays, like down to the you know, playing the last four holes with real shot multiple times, whether it's Okill, Valhalla, He's he has had real He's had major championships on the blade of his putter, you know, does he make a couple of putts coming down the stretch, he wins, get a good bounce, he wins major championships, and he has a FedEx Cup title, a bunch of PGA Tour wins. I think this is like, without a doubt, the best player without a major in the game, and I'd be open to hearing any of their suggestions. Sam Burns, who knows if he's gonna play. It seems like the birth of his kid is gonna but he's becoming like this major force. Like you know, the results I don't think even really show it. He's had a couple like late Sunday tea times that he's bombed out of. He has been in the mix at a ton of majors last two three years, and then Ludwig is the one that everybody wants to put put on on here. But and I think, you know he's he's been in the mix at a few majors, but it's still really young in his major career.
Speaker 3: Can I throw one name out here, Andy that I just think obviously you know people were betting him in the Scottish and didn't play jagae all at the start, but Teral Hatten to me, like, I feel like l Hatten is I really think it's gonna win a major at some point, played really well. The Masters, played really well with you so open you know. It just to me feels like he's often forgotten in some of this. I personally think Tommy Fleetwood's time has come and gone. I think that that is this is someone who is going to forever be known as the guy who did not win a major. I think Levevig has still has plenty of time in his future, but I kind of feel like I would not be surprised at all if Hatton stepped up and won this major.
Speaker 4: You are setting yourself up to get clipped with saying that I am Tommy fleet his time has come and gone. This was my last thing, so i'll I'll plant this flag or it's not even a flag play because I don't necessarily think Tommy Fleetwood's gonna win. But Andy, I agree with you. Victor Hobin is the best player who has not won a major. He showed he was playing to the level of world number one in twenty twenty three. I don't think with any of these other guys we've talked about, they've ever played a stained stretch where they're clearly the best player in the world or have a right, you know, to be considered in that class. Tommy Fleetwood's been really good. I don't think at any point in his career would you say that Tommy's the world number one. But next week is a huge opportunity for Tommy, and I think given the local ties, we should spend at least a minute talking about him. You know, Tommy's very familiar with Royal Birkdale play at formby growing up. In twenty seventeen at the Open Championship at Birkdale, Tommy finished t twenty seven, which doesn't necessarily look great, but he's a better player than then, and he also finished he started with the seventy six. Maybe he was a little nervous. I don't know what all went on in the first round or with the weather.
Speaker 2: Looks like the park play home games in golf, it can be you actually these guys never play them.
Speaker 4: It can be hard. I think that's an interesting debate. Yeah, is it an advantage or you know, do you psych yourself out? But but Tommy is is going to be a really interesting story coming into next week, especially because I think at the end of last year there was a very strong case he was one of the best players in the world. This year has been a bit of a disappointment. But that golf course, he's familiar with it. But be if I were to draw a golf course for Tommy Fleetwood, I think it looks a lot like Royal Brickdale. He hits the ball straight, He's a great ball striker. The greens are like dead flat there. And you know, Tommy at times has not always been the best putter, but he's been putting pretty well over the last couple of years. I think he can make a lot of putts out there. His short game is good, Like you know, his lack of distance, that's his main flaw. It's not gonna be as much of an issue at Brickdale. So do I think he's gonna win. No, I don't think Tommy Fleett was gonna win next week. But he could absolutely be in the mix. He could win. And to your point, Kevin, this is probably Tommy Fleetwood at age thirty five. This is gonna be one of his best opportunities to win a major, if he's ever gonna get one done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't feel it. I don't see it. I mean, set me up to get clipped that's fine. I just feel like I think, you know, the home game thing, absolutely, it's absolutely gonna be iking you out. Maybe there isn't as much quite as much buzz about it as there was, you know previously, like oh, this has set so so perfect for Tommy is Southport boy, Like, I just I think it's the kind of thing that gets in golfer's heads. He saw it the first time at Port Rush with Rory, like just felt overwhelming that the emotions of it all, and I just I don't know, man, it just something is not It's really hard to close in a major, and closing has been one of his biggest issues. You know, I just can you would you trust Tommy Fleetwood down the stretch to hold off Scotty, to hold off Rory? Like, I just don't quite see it.
Speaker 2: I think major championship home games extremely hard. I think regular PGA Tour event every single year home game not a huge advantage because you get used to it, you know, it becomes part of your routine. The number of people that will want to see Tommy Fleetwood his whole this is going to be a completely different setup than his regular event, and he's probably way more equipped to handle it than the last time it was here. He's also, as you alluded to, Joseph, way better at golf than the last time it was here. I think that the thing about Tommy is like he's never won a lot, and I just think that that is I am like, mister, I value consistency probably more than you know, the vast majority of people in golf. I think consistency is just like the number one thing. But there is something telling when someone just doesn't get it across the line very often. Like even when you think about like Tommy fleet would comparatively to your like Sergio Garcia's, your Adam Scott's who were ridical could they were criticized about not getting across the line. I mean, those guys won way more than Tommy Fleetwood, way more like they might have triple the wins in their career than Adam Scott or than Tommy Fleetwood. Like you know, Tommy's probably got close to ten professional wins, right, Joseph.
Speaker 4: I'd have to look that sounds. I mean, it's got to be in that ballpark, but not a lot of them are like you know, strong field, big time tournaments.
Speaker 2: Adam Scott's got thirty three. You know, and this is like as who I grew up with is the guy that was criticized for not being able to get it across the line. So I just think, you know, and this is you know, you know, you think about like this goes to the point of like the best player without a major, like Sergio and Adam Scott were in that bucket for a period of time, and they were you know, they just were people that won a lot of events. So I could see. I agree with all of your points. I think this is a great place for Tommy Fleetwood.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 2: I just struggle with him being like even you know, being the best player without a major with his resume, you know, and and I think I don't think you're arguing that. It's just like I see that out there as like this is the best player without a Major's like, no, I don't think so. Another kind of big story along the lines of Fleetwood will be Justin Rose this week. Made his Major championship debut in nineteen ninety eight at Brokedale, finished T four. You're gonna have That's gonna be highlights of that are going to be bashed over your head this week. If you're watching the golf, which is like it kind of amazing. Justin Rose. He's turning forty six at the end of this month. His birthday is July thirtieth, so he's basically approaching his forty seventh year on Earth. I can't, I cannot believe that he is still this major force. I do. I think that that the Masters did some permanent damage this year. I think more so than the year before the year before, he was so out of it and surged up and Rory stumbled and that's how he got in the mix and got in the playoff. This year, I think he felt the I'm gonna win this thing. I am, the ball is in my court, I can win this thing, and you let go of the rope. I don't know, you know, this is the question, like, are there more chances for Justin Rose? Seemingly this would be a really good golf course for Justin Rose in terms of not overly long, a firm golf course that like really puts a premium on precision, and just that that kind of major mentality that he as of knowing when to stay in the how to stay in the fight, and then that I as Cameron Young, said Justin Rose doing Justin Rose things, which I interpret as making putts from all over the place at the right exact right time. I think Justin Rose is, you know, like if an old guy, if an old guy is going to pick it off, pick off a major, it's most likely to happen at the Open Championship. It is by far the average age of like the last fifteen years, the oldest set of winners. So this is the spot. But I worry that that masters actually did like some irreparable harm on Justin Rose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I looked this up as I was respondful for writing the Justin Rose capsule as part of our preview. Only four guys who are five guys who are forty five and older Julian Borrows, Jerry Barber, Jack, Nicholas Hale, Irwin and Phil Micholson. A major. At this age, it just gets harder and harder. The eras have obviously changed, like golfers are more relevant into their late forties. But you know, you throw out Mickelson, who was like a one week heater. That wasn't you know, duplicated before or after. Now we're going back to Nicholas and Irwin, like we're talking about forty years ago since a forty five year old won a major. It's just tough. It's I just you know, I would love it for him and for the game. If it's sort of coming down the stretch, You've got a guy from England in England, you know, it's it's It would be a fun sort of flip to all these tournaments in the US where these various knuckleheads are cheering against Matt Fitzpatrick, you know, and Channing USA stuff. So you have the crowd sort of just you know, surging with energy behind Justin Rose. I just don't know. I don't know. If I see it.
Speaker 4: I think Tommy Fleet would be the coolest winner. I think Justin Rose would maybe be maybe the second coolest. I remember watching some RNA video last summer going into Port Rush and they asked him about Birkdale and Justin Rose lit up, like loves this golf course. I don't know where it ranks for him in his all time favorite courses, but based on the way he was talking about it, I think it's pretty high and maybe his favorite course on the Open rod to he's old, he's old like, and it's it's hard to say that when he's been in the mix at some of these majors. But I just think at that age, to summon magic is asking a lot of players that the peaks are gonna happen. But I think the consistency, like sometimes Doc Rivers basketball coach and a former player talked about it on Bill Simmons podcast, like a year ago, some of you have old man games and you know there's not a whole lot you can do about it to prevent them. Like Justin Rose might show up some days and despite all the work he's putting into his body, like sometimes your body just doesn't quite cooperate, And I think that's a very difficult variable. As admirably as he's kept his body in shape and you know, poured all those resources into his recovery, I think expecting him to win is a lot. Expecting him to contend is a lot. But it would be an incredible, incredible story. So yeah, I don't think it's gonna happen. You can clip that one, just like your Tommy Fleetwood one, Kevin, but that would be outside of Fleetwood winning. I think Rose winning is the coolest story.
Speaker 3: He's He's already done. The Thirsty Boy routine of wearing the burgundy sweater and truon when he was in the mix that he when he first wore. You'll see the clip a thousand times of seventeen year old him. Can he play that note again? Like, if he's in contention, can he wear that same sweater of the seventeen year old Justin Rose again?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I think he should too. It's kind of awesome. I want to just note I made a late minute swap here. I decided I don't want to talk about Jordan Speith. I put Rose in as one of my things and took Jordan Speeth out. I don't think. I don't think I want to talk about the twenty seventeen champion, and kind of I don't know if I want to be a downer on where he was to that and where he is now.
Speaker 3: Listen, like back, we have a whole look back on the twenty seventeen Open with Brennan and Joseph. The people should check out and they can have all the speaf talk they like.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's worth getting super into. He's not a threat to win this tournament. I think it's really worth going back and watching the twenty seventeen Open to see what speF was at the time. I don't think he's much of a threat this week, and I'm happy to eat my words if I'm wrong. And the other player that I don't know, we're gonna spend any time on. But I think bears mentioning is Bryson de Shamba, who would this could be the first year of his career in which he misses all four cuts at the major championships, which I think does bear mentioning.
Speaker 2: He feels filming YouTube video right now?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Would? Last week in.
Speaker 3: Kerranville, California, I got so much grief on Twitter for saying, like is he still interested in like being a great professional golfer? Like is he is he still serious about this stuff? Going to freaking Canada like five days before the Open when there's no live event seems like a perfect answer to that, Like he's not interested? Is he was in winning majors? Is he is in filming content?
Speaker 4: And mind you that the major he has struggled the most at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this speaks though, to the monotony of pro golf. This is it, you know, it is not for everyone. It is you know, I people are going to think it's crazy. It's hard to stay motivated for some of these guys, and I think Bryson's one that threw out his career, has gone in and out of of motivation levels to play and win tournament, and I think we might I reached even a lower point than he was trying to be the long drive guy and left the US Ryer Cup team celebration to go to the lot to Actorville, Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: What if Bryson is Jim Brown just you know, he reached the peak of his sport and then he decided he wanted to be an actor again. That's the equivalent of us. I'm deciding I want to make content walked away from it. What if he's not even playing professional golf in two years.
Speaker 4: If we get a final pairing that's some combination of Speef, Bryson, and Fleetwood, this group is going to be sweating. There's a lot of potential clips that could come out of this podcast and rose what if.
Speaker 2: It used to be scared and from the bullshit four players? What's what's the last anybody have any bullets left?
Speaker 3: Nothing good? I just think that the wind is not looking like it's going to be significant, which is always a bummer because Open Championships are always better when the wind blows hard. And so, you know, hopefully, as he alluded to in the beginning, and he will get some really firm conditions, but it's going to be a bummer if, like the wind is is pretty benign.
Speaker 2: While we're here, we have to talk about John Rahm. I guess, yeah, what are I I I wrote this for the Friday newsletter. I'm kind of like, if he if he if he doesn't have a strong week, I'm kind of ready to take him out of the top tier of of Rory like where he's been. And I don't I don't think he necessarily has deserved to be up there for a while. But the top tier of like it's you know, Rory, Scotty and rom uh head and shoulders above the next group of players. I'm I'm almost ready to bump them down into the the Colin Morikawa, Matt Fitzpatrick, Zone, Quindam Clark, Cameyon, that's right, got her up, Rose, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just it's gonna be three years since he's won a major if he doesn't win the Open Championship this next week.
Speaker 2: Ian majors too, this is the Masters, so it is the first you know, he's a lot. This is his fifteenth major since his last major win, and I think this year's been a step in the right direction though for him in majors, because the last couple of years were just not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, maybe you could just say that that US Open crash out was just a bad nine holes. What's weird is it was like the most benign of the conditions, the softest, The greens were all weak, and the Windham went on that run there that sort of put him space in between everyone. At the same time, like two groups away, John Rahm is collapsing. It's just frustrating to see someone who's so talented and so good just completely be in neutral. And I think, like you know, when he plays poorly on live, he's still gonna finish in the top ten every time, which I think creates a little bit of like a false sense of where you are. And I do truly wonder I'm stealing this take from somebody I can't remember. Maybe I think it was Ben Cally, But there's a sense of, like in these big tournaments where it's not just live, that he is feeling watched and judged in a way that he might not otherwise, Like like he understands, he's self aware enough to know that these are sort of referendum on his choices. And I think that that mental things has become a little bit of an anvil around his neck in terms of, you know, he's trying to almost justify what he did even though everything around him collapsed and the tours didn't unite and it didn't work out, And I think that that has to be a little bit of a factor in some of this.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be pretty non committal on Rom because I think I've been a little more pro Ram over the past couple of years and a little more forgiving of some of his bad performances, like this year he was very close joining the PGI, and we would be having a pretty different conversation about Rom if he had won the PGA, which is a big if, but I don't his form. It's like he's won a couple of times on live and we'd all be the I think among the first to say like that doesn't mean a whole lot, but it doesn't mean nothing. Like Rom is still a good Is he one of the third best, fourth best? I think it's hard to make the claim that he's in that bucket Andy, like he's somewhere he's the Fitzpatrick zone. Yeah, which is a crazy way to talk about one of the best European players of this generation in Rom and what he did early in his career. I still think, you know, he's very live to win. I'm gonna I'm gonna be pretty noncommittal on Rom.
Speaker 2: I think he's I think he's live to win too, like I think he said, you're he's probably I just think it. You know, when he went to Live, he was arguably the best player in the world.
Speaker 4: And he think helps that standard.
Speaker 2: Scotty probably was, but it was Rom and Scotty that year duked it out the first half of the year. Rom was, you know, from from all the time. You know, before he went he was a basically a top three player in the world. He went to Live and the results have not you know, whether it's fair or not. The litmus test was always going to be major championships, and unfortunately he's played pretty pretty by his standards, awful in major championships since he went to Live. And that's you know, that's all we have to really judge it off of because I'm not I don't care that he beat up on Anthony Kim and Scott Vincent and and uh, all right, I think we checked all the boxes, you know. Sorry we didn't get to Russe, Russell, Henley Joseph who you could pick him? Though? Who are you guys? Picks? Early picks Friday? Before you know, I always make like three different picks over the course of the week.
Speaker 3: Sneak give you to have three different podcasts to which to pick various people.
Speaker 2: I have two podcasts to pick people, and you know, if we do a newsletter, I have a third opportunity.
Speaker 3: You could appear as a guest on someone else's pod and throw in a fourth pick in there. It's you know, yeah, I will stick my neck out and pick Rory. I know, bold choice there, but I think he's playing really well and it sets up for for him well, So I'm gonna I'm gonna say that this is a two major year for Rory re establishing himself as you know, the dude within the game. Scotty's gonna have to chase him next year to sort of figure out the supremacy in the world of golf.
Speaker 4: I've talked myself into it over the last forty minutes. I'm gonna do it. I believe in him. I'm gonna pick him.
Speaker 2: You's chances, all right, love that love that I will. I'll just take Scotty, Okay. I think we're going to talk about this and then he's gonna go shoot like an opening round sixty five and just put everybody in a sleeper hole and it's over.
Speaker 4: Next by next Wednesday. I think you're gonna have talk to yourself back out of Scotty.
Speaker 2: But we will. Yeah, I will, doubt I'll change my mind.
Speaker 1: Before we go.
Speaker 3: Is there anyone who you would like to see get into contention that you don't necessarily you can win, but you would love to see them in the mix, just for just growth, either narrative purposes or for agree I's agreed, all right, I'll go. Colin Morikawa hasn't been the factor in any of this stuff for quite a while, but obviously great iron player. You know, it'd just be fun to see him kind of remind people that he's still a really good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Cali Markala would been one of the names that I was I was hoping that we would hit on at some point. But you know the thing about mar Kwa, he's twenty nine and if he gets if he he's been in the mix despite this injury, at a lot of events, and if he won, he'd have three majors at age twenty nine, and it would just like his career. The aspirations and expectations shifted when he got two so quick, but if he got to a third, it's all a sudden like wait, wait a second, like could this guy get to like four or five?
Speaker 4: Not a bad golf course. You know, if we're going to describe that powers muted a little bit and you got to strike your ball, would you be shocked if Colin more Kawa's T four after the first day and kind of makes his way up to the leaderboard throughout the rest of the weekend. I don't think that would shock anymore.
Speaker 2: And if it's not super windy, yeah, the other aspect of it, Yeah, all right, fitz Fitzy could be in the mix too.
Speaker 4: We've thrown like twenty minutes now.
Speaker 2: The Fitzi brother duel that's going on where they just like both appear on the leaderboard. Alex and Matt has spent one of my favorite things about it this year. Honestly, I don't think enough and I think this is something like all going on in sports. This has been an insane story Alex at Fitzpatrick. I mean they like I thought Alex would get to the tour at some point in his life. He's been like a legit top thirty player. There aren't a lot of examples of this, you know, where two brothers are top thirty players in their sport, Like is it? I mean, like the the Thompson twins in the NBA, like have a chance to baby get there in a couple of years. Neither of them could shoot though.
Speaker 4: This is so disrespectful to fanasas ant Tocumpo.
Speaker 3: You know, the last five minutes of a podcast are always kind of like the last half hour of Start Live, where you can just throw out any kind of weird shit. So I feel like brooks Kopka's name just ought to be mentioned just as a one last deal. Come on, all he's got to do is have one good putting week, Joseph one good puddy brooks Capka.
Speaker 4: You can clip this. Brooks Kopka is not winning next week. Go ahead, PJ. You can you can set that one up. You can book.
Speaker 2: It is that the third player that that Joseph said he has clipped and he's in the mix. He says, it's the three they talked me out of Pavan at the at the Pineers Us Open taking Pavon.
Speaker 4: Yeah forgot he won that one.
Speaker 2: It's the solo third.
Speaker 3: A super cut of all of the people we picked not to in the open, would would be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Kevin, Joseph big, thanks for coming on. We're going to halt this here. Next we're going to jump over to Derek Gary. He who has played Royal Birkdale a number of times, is a very well traveled individual with a keen eye for golf architecture. So he's going to join us to talk about Brokedale. I think he's a big fan of Birkedale. So it's this is this is a good balance. I'm not as high on it. He is high on it, and so we'll get over it. We'll go over to Dera here, but first we'll take a quick break. All right, We welcome on Darah uh Dearah, thank you for joining. Obviously a student of golf architecture, an Irishman who has seen much of the great Britain and Ireland links golf courses excited without Brokedale Birkdale. Brokedale will be hosting for the eleventh time the Open Championship and this year it will be a new look Birkdale and it's pretty much a I would say, extensive renovation. There are roughly five new golf holes, relatively new from the sense of the way they play, and or and or greens or completely new. So we will see a new Birkdale which was renovated by Tom McKenzie of Mackenzie and Ebert, a golf architecture firm that works on all the road to golf courses. Sarah, you are a well read a fan of history. Tell me about your favorite aspects of Royal Birkdale's great championship history.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, great to be on. Andy as All was chatting with you about I need to do with golf. So we are as you said, we're going back to England's golf coast as they call it up there in the northwest, fecifically to Birkedale in a few weeks. But that area is just peppered with brilliant golf courses. Andy from led them to highlight to Birkedale and many many more in between. I have enjoyed Birkdale so many times. I've seen it in all its mood, moods andy. I've seen cold winter days, four club wins, and I've had nice hot summer days there without a breath of wind either. It is a very story championship golf course. It's got lots of championship history. I suppose the first thing to say is that that championship golf course term it often just strikes me as such a nonsensical one. But we'll get into a little bit about the history of how Birkdale was iterated and reiterated, and it sort of has as its backbone this hosting of championships, doesn't it. You mentioned it's got eleven opens or this is going to be it's eleventh open. But briefly on its history. Brokedale was formed in eighteen eighty nine and then had moved to its current site in eighteen ninety seven on the Berkedale Hills. It was a nine hole golf course originally and then the clubhouse was built then just around the turn of the century or nineteen hundred, but they realized that it was built outside the boundary of these, so it had to be demolished and it was quickly rebuilt to satisfy all the legalities, and the club was really thriving. The most pressing issue around the time was one year at the Christmas dinner when the usual pig's head was removed from the Christmas dinner wasn't to be seen, and twenty four signatories were put to a letter asking for it to be reinstated the next year. It was as it was such a great source of pastronomical delight to the members, so all was really well in berkdel Now. Like all golf courses in Britain and Ireland until from the eighteen eighties nineties until about the thirties, they were rudimentary. They were often iterated up and up and up. They were mostly nine holes to start, and Brookeille was no different at all. Nineteen thirty two, Fred Hawtrey and JH. Taylor of five Open Championship fame beat out her rival bid with two members to win the contract to redesign the course substantially, so you can imagine Fred Hawtrey J. H. Taylor beating out two members, so it wasn't exactly stiff competition, but it was it was the order of the day. And you know, you know, things have got a lot more competitive in life these days in every regard. But anyway, fred.
Speaker 2: I just I love the idea of the two members going up against hat Tree and Taylor, and like, just like the idea of that, I'd love to know, like their relationship with the committee members or whoever it was, were they the committee members that did they just look at hot Tree at Taylor's plan and be like, oh, this is way better.
Speaker 6: I'd love to have seen the plan of the two members. But anyway, they won and the course was redesigned, and then the course was granted open status or at least the promise of an open in nineteen forty with the war intervened and Andy so I'd a rab it. But this is where brook Tail has this association with championships, and it went on to host a Walker Coup in nineteen fifty one, Curtis Cup in nineteen forty eight, British Amateur won by an Irishman Jimmy Brown in nineteen forty six. But lots of golf courses in this area are championship golf courses, and I really disliked the term because all the course in the open worad are so many courses in America are Hoylake down the Road hosted the first ever the precursor to.
Speaker 1: The Walker Cup.
Speaker 6: It was the home of the Amateur Championship and so many other things, and Lidam has such a storied history as well. But Birkdale, I think it had a short lease on the premises on the various courses that occupied her, the two courses that occupied from eighteen eighty nine onwards, and I think people thought back then that golf may or may not take off, so these short leases were given and in the thirties to kind of I think it was seen as something about securing its future maybe and by extending the golf course it was implicit and really buffing it up and making such a strong desk to golf that if championship were to come, it would almost secure its future. And other golf courses were obviously talking and thinking like this as well. However, it just became synonymous with Berkdale and it's been remarkably successful. Air quotations Championship Test even though the test the phrase, but really it has produced absolutely incredible winners.
Speaker 1: You know, I think the first.
Speaker 6: Open Hell there was Peter Thompson one hundred and fifty four, and then he won again in sixty five, Palmer in sixty one, Travino seventy one, Miller seventy six, Tom Wattson and so many more. So it really if you can put account of Grade A winners to its open, that surely must count for something, even if we discount the old championship.
Speaker 1: Golf course term.
Speaker 6: So that's a little bit on the history of it. It is an interesting place. It's got an art decout clubhouse and the carpet inside is actually like an overlay of the golf course, so it's underneath your feet at all points. So it's got a funky side to it. But it's a surely brilliant golf course. It's got this championship history, and as you alluded to in your brief introduction there, it is changed substantially since we've seen in twenty seventeen, and we're really looking forward to seeing it. Notice we've had a baked at summer in Britain Ireland in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: A question about the carpet if you're if you're in one room are you on like a different hole or is the carpet just like in the foyer that's got the golf course. No, it's the carpet extend through the clubhouse and like when you're in different areas, you're below us the twelfth hale.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's in one main front room.
Speaker 6: Murders and casual dining had so and I think it's like I think there's we'll say a six foot by six foot block of it has the whole course in it. So I think at various points you could be walking the twelfth hole LNDY. I think it's what it's really fun and it's it's always been a fun place to go to. I can't wait to see it. But these changes have been substantial. Andy, I think the process initially was a member led process for these changes, and it was centered really on the fact that Birkdale has these four part threes. It's got the fourth to the twelfth and the fourteenth, and three of them play in the same direction and all four can actually play a similar yardage depending on wins. So there was a member the member desire for maybe a bit of variety, as everyone wants everyone wants for riding their baritaries for sure and certainly in direction. But as that process went on, Berkdale was awarded the twenty twenty six Open, So I guess the factors of the Open had to be the factors needed for the twenty twenty six event had to be taken into account and so basically the part threes were slightly changed. But there was also this problem solving for a championship the par five four or five four finish we saw in twenty seventeen, and then also creating extra space for tented village needs and hospitality needs, which are such a big part of an open now in this kind of era of ever increasing footprint and such a commercial success that the Open is so the members' interests, obviously we're going to be needed to be aligned with those hosting Open championship. So that's what we have been left with now at the moment. So they've done this Brandy by making first of all the old fifteenth, which was the fourth or they've made the old fifteenth to fourteenth. They've kept it a part five, and they moved the old fifteenth fairway one fairway right and this created enough space to create what is now a long Part three up to two hundred and forty yards where a ball could be ran onto at the front with the clubhouse is a beautiful backdrop. So that's got complete variety now in part threes already. And then they've shortened the seventh the par three quite considerably. I think it plays at about one hundred and fifty yards now. They've gone to water or forward tees up into the right of the sixth green, so we've got variety there straight away. And then with the extra hole on the back nine added in, they dropped out the old fourteenth, which was perceived as the weakest of the parcheries. Now where did the logistics of an open come in here?
Speaker 1: Andy?
Speaker 6: While moving the old fifteenth right, unlocked nearly two hundred meters for the practice ground, space space and space. Yeah, so the unlocked nearly two hundred meters for practice ground to be moved closer to the clubhouse. And the practice ground is the site for tented hospitality during an open, So this makes access to the course easier, access back to the clubhouse easier. I presume it makes exiting the course on a Sunday easier for everyone, and all the fans, all everyone involved, and on the member side of things, there's a new short game area goes in on the clubhouse side of that relocated range. So really happily the members have great diversity. There's a much enlarged hospitality space. But it's worth noting andy at this point in proceedings that course in the UK and Ireland have had historically less work done to them for championships than American counterparts. But really the footprint of these Opens and the success full Open championship formula going forward means that members' interests will have to align with those of the Open and hope that they both align in both parties benefit.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: I really like the variety, as I said, and there's other variety. They've shortened the sixteenth I think it is now in the new rota or in the new layout to become nearly a drivable Part four, which is absolutely brilliant drivable the right conditions. But I'm less said on things like a new and a large practice facility being a boost to members because I think they can often be a white elephant, and because British and Irish golfers are not as enthusiastic warm ruppers as their American counterparts. We just have a quick put in a couple of hits and a bacon sandwich into a net by the first tea, and that's seen as good for such a long time. So these can just add to costs. I think sometimes the new short game areas are an extended range. But the rejigging the practice ground has certainly been a large success in terms of an expanded hospitality area. So that, in a nutshell is the change that has been substantial changes to the fifteen seven greens which have been kind of built up, and they are more interesting holes the two of them.
Speaker 2: It's, you know, the undertones of of all this center around the needs of championship golf, and I think it's you know, from your kind of historical rundown of the club. I think when they moved to the New Land in the thirties, it became really a i would say, like a new part of their history for Brickdale. And part of that history is that they were building a golf course suited for championship golf, you know, the Open Championship in mind, and obviously they've this will be their eleventh time hosting since that. You know that, you know, the new land that they they acquired to build a golf course. And when you think about it's been a super successful Open championship host And I think when I think about just the idea of the changes in needing to change, it makes sense with everything that's happened with the game, the distance explosion, but also just like you know, I think, like when you go through the history of golf courses and architecture just in general, I think great golf architects of yesteryear never anticipated how popular the game would be. They never anticipated how popular the game would be from a playing standpoint, how many people would have to be on the golf course at a time. If you think about the old course, this is where you know, the old course went to double greens and went to wide fairways because they needed to accommodate more players. Right, So there's this whole there's always been an underestimation of how many people we're going to play the game of golf. But I think on the championship side, there's been a total underestimation of how much space was going to be needed to host made championships. As they've grown and grown and grown and grown, and you know, the adage in the business world, obviously is if you're not growing, you're dying. And I think that, you know, a fascinating subplot of all this stuff is the growing needs of major championship hosts and what's happening to the supply of golf courses that can host that have history. So, you know, golf says history is important, venues matter, but the size of the championship keeps getting bigger so that fewer and fewer venues actually matter. And for the RNA's sake, I think that RNA has been really out front with saying, like, listen, this is this is a commercial championship that floats a lot of the things that we do in the game outside of it, and for them, getting lots of fans on site is very important. And obviously, you know, you know, the the people at I hope Brickdale could say that this was a member led and member driven till they're blue in the face. The reality is there's a lot of things that we're done in this renovation to accommodate modern major championship golf. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's just, you know, it's just a part of what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. So, first of all, nineteen sixty seven or maybe sixty five for certain yeah, certainly around the mid sixties in Brickdale, I think it was Fred Autrey's son was bought in after it must have been when Thompson had won his second opening sixty five to renovate the golf course again, to not only make the golf course a more of us test for Open Championship players, but also to make it more accessible and easier for fans to move around. So this is so far from a new a new thing amage of golf. So that actually gave us the new twelfth or sorry, the current twelfth Toll in Brookdale, which is a beautiful picturesque poetry. So not all changes bad and I think we both agree on that. And there's been all these golf courses in the British Isles have been constantly rejigged to suit opens and to suit events. But it's it's sort of like a it's like an old piece of news, you know, in the sixties they were saying the crowds are getting so big, they're so big, But it is true that we are outgrowing the ballpark a little bit at the moment. Like if you a golf course is a living entity, and as you mentioned, it's historical, but not only that, it's living, breeding turf, and it's got Duneland. It's got so much more to it. It's not just Yankee Stadium, where if you were if it was getting more popular, you'd add another row stands on the back, you know, and nobody would notice. So there's so much more interest and so much more in the once in editing a golf course and iterating it that goes into anything else, any others or the sports field. And this juxtaposition of the grand old Dames, these venues that we that are so venerable and that we love so much, and putting that up against the need for growth and to facilitate the growth. And as you mentioned, the ORNA do so much brilliantly for golf. You know, they float everything else off the Open Championship, as you mentioned the Latin America Ams, the Asia Pacific Ams. You know that the Masters have lent into giving invoice to these winners. That's all floated off the money made in the Open Championships. But we have seen it you were entirely correct port Rush. I think they moved to or certainly changed the practice ground to suit the hospitality ten needs. So it's not a new question. Nineteen sixties they were donning in Bruckdale. We're seeing it again. But there is a limit, of course, to how much this can happen and how much the footprint can grow. Andy, and I think maybe that's where your trouble with this comes along. Whereas I think this is a net positive for the members. I think they've gained great variety in the barteries. I think even as even for this British Open, the eighteenth has been changed much better home now and the tea's go down and left instead of being up and right. You know, it used to be a bit of a dog leg. It's a straight, austere, really linxy looking hole now. The sixteenth, as I mentioned, is a drive about part four now much better variety. So that's where I think we stand at the moment. But we certainly it's a very interesting time to be involved in administrating and open and imagine, and it's certainly a very interesting time to be a member of an open golf course because you've a lot of opportunity to improve your golf course, but you have to suppose exercise caution about certain aspects of the footprint.
Speaker 2: Instead of alignment is always challenging between you know, a club, and then if you throw in a let ae, the two party instead of alignment's hard three party becomes very challenging. Birkdale has been known notoriously like this, you know, it's like kind of the second thing ever said about Burkedale's the fairest links test in the Open Roda. How would you? Why would why is it characterized as that? And if you were going to put it on a scale, you know, like how is it different from the likes of maybe Hoylake or the Old Course where people might say it's fluky?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, Well I am an unabashed lover of Hoylake and certainly the Old course. But Hoylc, I think is like the pinnacle of subtle golf. It is micro undulation combined with it excellently firm golf course, but the undulation is so subtle. And obviously parts of Hoylac you see an old polo ground and I'm sure you probably know that that's how flat some of the golf courses, and then obviously they took it out too kind of closer to the the estuary, so it does have some movement over there. But hoylec is wonderful. And I think there's this split in opinion in British and Irish golf about preference for a certain style of links course. There are those who favor a more dramatic execution test like Brookdale, or those who prefer the subtlely of Hoilak, where the microndulation on the ground can pull a ball even from the middle of a fairway into a bunker, or it can just stay in the middle of ferry would be resting on a very small knob, which completely alters a very seemingly simple approach shot with a wedge because the ball is now four inches above you on a very fur piece of turf. But then those in fervor in favor of a style like Brookdale will say that Lynx Golf already has so much vagary in it, some sea and wind surrounding and built in firma sandy and we've had a wonderful few weeks here and it's going to be really firm out there in a few weeks time.
Speaker 3: In Brookdale.
Speaker 6: But you know that you already have you got this firmness and those vagaries, that it's already so different to normal we'll say Heatland golf or PGA Tour golf for regular DPE World Tour golf, that you don't even need the microundulation, that it is already completely elevated and very different. You know, I suppose I think me and you think quite similarly. I think the peak of the peak golf that I will always remember was Tiger in two thousand and six at Hoylake, and maybe in two thousand that Saint Andrews, where we got the right conditions to bring out what micro undulation can do to a golf ball. Because Tiger played so conservatively, he was using spin as his friend, he was doing so many cool things with the golf ball, all to avoid being pulled into even the wrong areas on fairweys where he knew he knew there was undulation, or where he knew he'd have an unfavorable lie even though he was on the fairway to attack a certain pain, or his ball could be pulled from the middle of a fairway into a bunker if he used the driver even went down the middle of the fairway. So I think that's what I will like. That is why I will I will always bat and say that Hoylake is one of my favorite places in the word to play golf, and obviously the other horses as well. But you do have the split between people who love the drama of Brickdale and then there's others who love the subtle of mirefields, love these of Hoilick and places like that. But I want to all to be alive, and it is definitely live in places like Hoilich.
Speaker 1: And people will say that because we talked.
Speaker 6: On the pot previously Andy about how when Harry Colt redesigned world County down or heavily iterated it in the nineteen twenties, he went, Hey, he bought the holes over the dune land, he played over Duneland to create these wonderful gold folds that we know it oral County down. Whereas Hawtrey and Taylor's philosophy in Brooktail was actually put the holes in the valley, in the valleys rather than the dunes. So we've got this self contained field completely opposite of what col did. He avoided or sorry they Hawtrey and Taylor avoided having blind shots by going through the dunes, and the dunes were so impressive Andy that there was an American or sorry, an African adventure film was shot in them in the late nineteen twenties, you know, So it just shows you the scale of them. But what I like to think of now, when I'm thinking about the build up to this open, I think that because it's going to be so firm, so fast, you can run out of fairway, hopefully you can balls run into the dunes. You might see Jordan's speed with his right foot three foot above his left foot hitting a edge over a fifteen foot mound. And there are other challenges in the places like Burkedale, and there are other neuralnks golf courses that are a little bit like Brickdail as well. So I think I get from you that maybe you are, like me, a lover of Hoylake, you love e Lee, you know all this sort of stuff. But don't forget their brilliant golf courses like deal Down in the Southwest that have I wouldn't say maybe doom land, but they have lots of undulation, lots of throughput, certainly out on the kind of seaside holes in deal. You know the macro and macro is not bad when it's utilized correctly. So I'd love to hear your take on what do you know about Birkedale? What do you think about that? And I know we're coming out probably from the same angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, you know, in terms of like by you know, the places I most want to see, and I haven't been to Birkedale, it falls a little bit further down the list because of a lot of what you described. I am very into the I'm very into golf. That is very vague. That being said, I think when you get the elements right, you know, one of the beauties of Birkedale style of you know, and I don't want this to come across is you know, I think it's important to preface of we're talking about Leak's golf, where the balls alive when it hits the ground, assuming it's firm and you know it's it amplifies everything. So this is not what we're talking about with you know, TPC Minnesota, where if it rains, it's just going to be a dart fest. But the the idea of there being golf being a little bit more of a riddle is always and I think like some of that's been muted as golf's evolved, for sure, But I think the thing that can be appealing about a test like Birkedale is the understanding of it's you're either good or you're bad. The execution aspect of it can be good. But that being said, I think that it's always preferred when you get a golf course that has all the aspects of this, when it has the vagaries of the microcontours but also some of the more dramatic features and then some punitive you know. I think years ago I did a podcast with Tom Doak where you know, you talk about everybody like loves putting golf courses into schools of design, and there's you know, the you know, the strategic, the penal, there's heroic and the reality is like the best golf courses have a little bit of everything. And I think that's you know where Brokedale, like the the being described as fair flatter fair ways like that is less appealing to me, but it doesn't mean that it can't host a good championship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So this is this is something I think about all the time sometimes golf I think you've mentioned terms like vague.
Speaker 1: It's a really interesting term. I want.
Speaker 6: I don't want to know when I play golf, for the ball will end up. That's why we love firmness. But that's also why we love subtle contours around greens. We love them internally in fair ways because golf, I think is a game. It's like a game of chance almost, And you mentioned riddle, and I think of it much less. It certainly is a sport, andy, and I would never say it's not a sport, but I love to think of it as a game of chance. And when you say riddle, that really hits home with me as well. We think about it in the same way. Because the nuance has been taken out of the game by technology. It has been absolutely evaporated out. The skill level at the top of the game has been condensed. So sometimes a good player in my home club once said to me what did I think ball striking was? And I probably responded saying something stupid, like the ability to flush the ball or repeatedly hit it, you know, along.
Speaker 1: And straight or something like that.
Speaker 6: But he said, no, it's someone who can hit the ball that required distance on repeat. Now that's easy if you're playing a you know, kind of a weekly DP World Tour tracker most of the PGA Tour courses. But if the ball is four inches above your feet in Hoylake sitting on a baked lie and there is a very small pimple of a knob in front of a green, that is a completely different shot then on a flat fairway. So I completely appreciate that that is where a ball striker will find it much easier to put the ball to twenty feet pin high, and what might look like an averagehot is actually an excellent shot. So I couldn't agree more here, Like I just think that those kind of courses like Hoylake Mirfield, I'd like to think work like golf in Port Marnik is exactly the same. You could be looking at someone from twenty feet away and that might look like an easy shot in the middle of error, but you don't actually know that. You know, the total club is four it's two inches in the air, you know.
Speaker 2: And I mean that's the thing though about the whole course is when it's on TV, people that have in bed there say it looks it looks really bland, because really, I think the best contours of golf actually don't get shown well from a telecast they you know.
Speaker 6: I remember I was playing the ninth in Port Marnick, and Port Marnick doesn't photograph well. It is truly a wonderful golf course. But I got low light one night and the fifty hours before the green just popped andy, you know, And I'm forever hidden run off shots that at ninth Green in Port Marnick instead of hitting sandwich in or whatever, and you could just see all these one foot little mounds rippling across and everything, you know, is it showed everything about micro versus macro. But you know, back to Bertill we are. I've played it several times, many many times, and I've learned to embrace that it has such drama and I'm really desperate not to use the term championship links and the test of execution, but it really does bring out the best when it is firm, and it will be firm in a few weeks. And it is a completely different style of links golf, but albeit it is links golf, and it is so much superior to the product that we get forty eight weeks a year and on TV, and it is just a little bit different to those high legs, to those deals, to those mirefields, but it is to be completely celebrated. I absolutely love it every time I go there because, as I say, variety has been taken out of golf, out of our The product on TV is completely different. We're so lucky to get Shinnecock this year, but you know we're kind of deprived. We're starved. There's a dirt of this sort of stuff and Brickdale. You set down your list, you don't seem to have a burning desire to get there. And I appreciate you want to go to all these places. You know, you love the ELI as I mentioned, and you probably want to go to Form being all this, but Brickdale is a monster amongst these golf courses as well. It's just in its own way and it shares this beautiful history with them, all of hosting championships up in this England's golf course. As I mentioned at the.
Speaker 2: Start, awesome. Well we'll go out on that note. I mean, I could couldn't get better words to get us excited for this week. Yeah, thanks as always for joining the podcast. People can find your work. You are a You're a I guess a frequent guest at a number of platforms here Cookie Jar and then people can find you playing all over the all over Great Britain in Ireland.
Speaker 6: They can and thanks so much for having me. Andy, I just want to say that Frannie and who hasn't been to Birkdale, who you're listening or indeed links Golf, you know not all links Golf is the same. Birkdail is incredibly unique. That encourage you all to come over and compared in contrasts with Neighbors and Hoylake Li them go up to Scotland, go down to Roys and George's then come across Ireland, because there's nothing better than Links Golf.
Speaker 3: Andy.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm going to go ahead on.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Sarah, cheers Andy, all right, big thanks to everybody for listening to the podcast. As a reminder, we have just a ton of stuff going on across the company. Go to the Friday dot com there's a bunch of written material. We will have a live blog going probably starting Tuesday or Wednesday. We debuted this at the US Open. It's just a fun place for us to just drop short anecdotes, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, anecdotes about what's going on. There'll be insights from Kevin and Brendan who will be on the grounds as well as you know, sleep deprived staffers like me, Joseph, Will Garrett. Well, it'll be fun. I think the live blog will be will be hummon this week, so check that out as well. As we just have a lot of stuff. Our YouTube page should have some material up there are the Shotgun Start will be doing daily breakdowns. And big thanks to PJ for putting this all together, putting all the audio products together. He's uh, he's grinding, so big thanks for PJ. I'm sorry he had to come in and talk about the regression monster in this episode, and I'm also sorry that that PCA is just putting them in a body bag with the with the anti regression. So thanks to PJ. H and we'll see you next week talking what happened with Trevor Immulman.