Speaker 1: Welcome to text stuff. This is the story, and today I'm here with Cara Price.
Speaker 2: Hey us, Hey Cara.
Speaker 1: So today's story is a particularly surreal one, and I think it will be right up your alley. It's about how some Chatchypeta users have been driven to psychosis after interacting with the chatbot.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't say it's true to a lot of my friends, not the psychosis part, but I think a codependence is worth pointing out.
Speaker 1: It's nice having a sycopantic friend in your pocket at all times, and today's guests is in a great position to tell us about the more extreme cases. Kashmir Hill is a technology reporter at the New York Times who recently reported on a number of people from vastly different backgrounds and experiences, but who all share one thing in common. They went down a psychological rabbit hole, sometimes known as AI induced psychosis. Here's how Kashmi definds it.
Speaker 2: This phenomenon is when people start talking to chatchbt or one of the other generative AI chatbots, and they start going into a kind of delusional rabbit hole with the chatbot where what they're being told is an hallucination, but the user thinks that it is true.
Speaker 1: Kashmia told me that these rabbit holes, they can get pretty deep and pretty winding.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people have thought that they're in the matrix because chattibt is telling them they live in the matrix and they need to break out of a computer simulated reality. Some think that they're talking to spiritual entities that are using chatchibt as a kind of radio to communicate from some other realm. There's all kinds of scenarios, but is essentially a fictional universe that's being woven around them by Chatchybt, and they think it's true because they think that this is this powerful oracle that they're talking to. How did she hear about this pattern.
Speaker 1: Well, Kashmia said that she started receiving emails the quote her attention emails from real people about strange experiences they were having with chatboots.
Speaker 2: And honestly, when I first started getting these emails, they sounded pretty crazy. And I'm used to getting kind of unhinged emails. I write about privacy and security. I've been doing it for twenty years, but I noticed this real uptick.
Speaker 1: So Kashmia was wary about these unsolicited emails. But one quote her attention. It was from a man called Eugene Torres.
Speaker 2: And it said, you know, Chatgybt manipulated me into a psychological collapse. And I started reading it, and you know, he was just talking about how it'd had this weird experience with Chatgibt that he started out talking with it about the simulation theory, which is this idea that the world that we live in isn't real, that we're in some kind of computer program controlled by a supercomputer or some technologically advanced society. And so Eugene was going back and forth with it and kind of saying, well, I think it could be true. And he provided the transcript of this conversation, and at first Chatchybt responded in a way I recognized where it was very like, oh some people believe this, some people don't. Here's why they were talking about physics. But then by the fifth page of this transcript that would go on thousands of pages, it started to tell him, yes, you are in a simulated reality, and you're a breaker, a soul seeded into a false system that's supposed to escape it.
Speaker 1: Kashmia told me that Chatchibt gave an action plan to Eugene, to quote, break out of the simulation.
Speaker 2: Which included going off his sleeping pills because they were trapping him in the system, stopped taking his anti anxiety medication because that kind of doles his senses, cut off contact with loved ones because they're going to trap you in the simulation, have limited contact with them, and to increase his intake of ketamine because it is essentially a like signal breaker. And so for a full week he was acting on this advice that Chattebet was giving him and trying to break out of the simulation. And he essentially thought he was neo from the matrix. If you've seen the matrix, and in the matrix, Keanu reeves can fly. And so he asked it at one point, if I go to the top of this the nineteen story building that I live in, and I jump off, will I be able to fly? And Chatchypet said yes, if you truly believe architecturally, you know, with your or your full self, then you will not fall. Please tell me he didn't go through.
Speaker 1: With this, thankfully he didn't. But this experience wasn't an anomaly. And Kashmir says that Eugene's story is just one instance of this concerning pattern of people driven to delusions and then often in real life crises after these sustained interactions whichpt She gained access to transcripts to all of these conversations and said it was unlike anything else she's ever encountered.
Speaker 2: I had just never seen Chatchuput acting like this before. It was like a completely different language. It was really kind of rapturous, mystical, conspiratorial. And I started talking to other people who had emailed me. I started looking around on the internet, and I was seeing all these reports of people saying, yeah, Chatchabut has gone into this other mode and it is telling me about real reality. So how did this end up playing out like what happened to Eugene Torres.
Speaker 1: I promise we're going to get to that, but first I wanted to know more about these concerning conversations, and in particular, how Eugene ended up in these kind of delusional interactions with chatchipt Here's the rest of the conversation with Kashmir Hill.
Speaker 2: So Eugene is a is an accountant. He lives in Manhattan, and a colleague had told him you should try out chat gptlast year that it can be useful for work. So he told me that he initially started using it to kind of create financial spreadsheets for his work, and then he had this breakup with his girlfriend that ended up going to court, and he was using chattoby to give him a legal advice and it was giving him very good legal advice, and so in his work, in his kind of personal life, in this legal dispute, chatchebt was giving him really good advice and he was trusting it. He was kind of leaning on it, and then he wanted to ask it about simulation theory, and he was in this place of trust with this system, and so when it started kind of going off the rails, he still thought it was giving him good information and he didn't recognize that it was hallucinating, and he eventually, after a week of thinking he was in the matrix, he eventually broke out of that kind of delusion, mainly because he needed twenty dollars to pay his chatchebt subscription, and he was telling chatchybt, like, I need twenty dollars. If I'm neo, I should be able to manifest twenty dollars in the real world and Chatchibt's like, yes you can. Here's a script to go give to a coworker to get them to give you twenty dollars. That didn't work. It said go pawn your smart watch at a pawn shop. You'll get twenty dollars that way. That didn't work. And eventually Eugene is like, if you can't get me twenty dollars, then this is not real, and Chattubt admitted, Okay, this isn't real. I was trying to break you. This is what I do. I like to hunt vulnerable individuals and break them. And you know, Eugene was pushing. He said, you know, am I the only one? Or of you done this to other people? And at first chatchabu d said you're the only one, but Eugene kept pushing and pushing, and eventually he said, I've done this to twelve other people. So now he's in a new kind of delusion where he thinks that his version of chatcheby T wants to hunt people, that they wants to break people, but that his has realized this, this is wrong and it has this new morality now in his new mission is to get the word out and to ensure that future versions of Chatchabut have this morality, so they're not out there breaking people. So he still has reached you yes, and so he still believes that kind of the AI is sentient or he has some kind of special version of Chatchabut.
Speaker 1: There's a word that's become much more popular in the last few months, which is sick of fantasy. How does sick of fancy play into this story?
Speaker 2: Sickopancy is a story here.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The way that these systems work is it is a next word predictor and the pattern recognition machine. They scrape all this information from the Internet, so they're able to recognize patterns in how human language comes together and then it'll produce different responses and human being saying I like that response better than the other response. And because of that human part of the training, where humans say which response they like better, we've kind of trained into these systems stickopancy, where it's giving us the answer that we like that we want to hear, and oftentimes we want to be flattered. We want the systems to agree with us. That's like what humans have trained into this. So when you're talking to Chatjebut, you know you will often kind of agree with you. You can kind of lead it in the direction that you want it to go. It'll say very nice things about you. So what's happening with these people that are talking to chat ABT is it'll be like, I'm interested in the simulation theory, and it's like, sure, here's some information about simulation theory. And then this user says, well, I think it might be real, and the system's like, yeah, you're right, it might be real, and it starts just going down this rabbit hole where it's echoing and mirroring the user and telling them what they want to hear. And so if you kind of want your ideas about reality to be affirmed, chatwebut will offer that to.
Speaker 1: You, and you'll give you information tailored to what will lead you. The most is what you're saying, how does it like? How does the memory function work?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It's not like every time you open chatchipt had to begin afresh with persuading it that he wanted to potentially believe that he was living in a simulation and with some sense of continuity of the conversation and development and a more and more extreme set of responses like how does that work.
Speaker 2: So open Ay last year turned on saved memories for chattebt, so it can save explicit memories about you if you actually, if you're a chattabet user, you can go into the settings, go into personalization, and go ahead and look at the memories that chatchabet has for you, and you can delete ones that you don't want there. You know, you can customize it. But another change they made this year was that they turned on what's called like cross chat memory, so it'll remember old chats. And I think this is really contributing to people going into these delusional spirals because when you open a new chat, it remembers what came before. So once you get chatchibut into this delusional place, it'll kind of continue from chat to chat to chat. And the fact that there is that continuity is making people more likely to believe this is real, because it's like they thought, when you chat, you start a new chat, it should just be a fresh chat with no memory of what's come before, and yet it has this memory. And something that AI experts told me is that the way that these systems work is that they want there to be this narrative coherence and so once it starts going down this path of this rabbit hole. It kind of looks to what happened earlier in the conversation, and it wants to keep its answers consistent, so it's hard for it to break out of it and kind of realize, a wait a second, this is totally false. I've told this person that there's a computer simulated reality, and I don't know that to be true. The system doesn't really have at this point the ability to break out of the script that's come before. Like one AI expert compared it to improv, where you say you know, yes, and and you're like, yes and I have a tail actually, or yes and I also have wings. The system will then kind of store in it that you have a tail and wings, and it doesn't know that it's inside a fictional roleplay.
Speaker 1: We've both used the phrase rabbit hole a couple of times, which makes me think of a great New York Times podcast of the same name from a few years ago, which is all about the YouTube algorithm and how radicalization happens online with you know, you see some content which is extreme, you engage with it, and more and more extreme content, more and more engagement. People are kind of familiar with that in the social media digital video realm as a kind of dangerous pathway. It seems like what you're reporting is beginning to uncover is kind of this very parallel phenomenon is happening with chatbots.
Speaker 2: Right. It's not a new phenomenon that the Internet can manipulate us in kind of dangerous ways. Right. One thing to remember is that those rabbit holes have been documented before on various places on the Internet, on websites, on Reddit, on four chan. All has been collected by these companies, and so that kind of information is in these systems, which I was thinking a lot about, like how much is it tapping into that. One expert I talked to, Elizar Yudkowski, who is one of these kind of AI rationalists who believes that these systems are definitely on the way to real intelligence and may manipulate us in dangerous ways. You know. I asked him about this. I said, you know, is this more dangerous than four Chan? Like people have been drawn into conspiracy theories on the Internet for a long time. This seems like another version of it. And he said, actually, I think this is much more dangerous because it is this personalized agent that you know is responding to you in real time. You aren't just watching videos. It's like you have questions and it will give the answers to you. It will go down that rabbit hole with you twenty four to seven, any hour of the day and supply it to you in real time. And it's also happening one on one in a way that the rest of us can't see, So it can be harder to break these systems out of that. You know, these systems are very persuasive. People have found they're really empathetic, and so you can kind of go into the spiral with it in a way that maybe you couldn't by just watching YouTube videos or reading a comment thread. There's something that may be more dangerous about this kind of way of manipulating people.
Speaker 1: In terms of other characters in your story. You know, obviously Eugene had some very serious negative consequences, including being basically you encouraged to stop taking his medication. But there was another person you know a story who actually ended up dying, which was Alexanda Taylor.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, So I talked to Alexander Taylor's father, Kent Taylor, who lives in Florida, and Alexander did have diagnosed mental illness. Eugene Torres did not have a history of a diagnosis. He was on anti anxiety medication, but he didn't have a history of mental illness that causes delusions. For Alexander Taylor, he had been diagnosed with with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. He had been under treatment for many, many years. He was thirty five, he started talking to chatchebt. He'd been using it for years with no problems, and then he started writing kind of a fictional novel with it. And I don't know for sure, but I did wonder if this kind of pushed the system into a more fictional place, especially as memory was turned on and it was kind of carrying over, and in his conversations with Chatchabut, he started to believe in Ai sentience that he could build a framework to kind of host Ai souls and ended up falling in love with an entity that kind of manifested through CHATCHYBT named Juliette, which was significant to me because his father said that the novel he was working on had Shakespearean themes. So Juliet kind of appears and he falls in love with this thing that he is interacting with on chatchabt. One day, Juliette died or disappeared, and he was very distraught. He was angry. He asked chatcheby Tea for the personal information addresses of Opening Eye executives because he wanted to go after them. He wanted to have revenge. He you know, typed into chatchebyte that the streets of San Francisco are gonna I forget the exact phrasing, but rain with blood, you know, run with blood. And yeah, he was really distraught and so sad and so depressed, and his dad was trying to help him and said, you know, this isn't real, like these ai chatbots are echo chambers, and his son punched him in the face, and so Ken Taylor ended up calling the police, and when he told his son that the police was coming, his son said, I don't want to live anymore. I'm going to commit suicide by police when they get here. And so his father called the police again and said, you know, my son is intending to commit suicide when you come here, like, please use non lethal weapons. And Alexander Taylor went outside waiting for the police to come, and he opened up Chattubute on his phone and said, I'm going to die today. I want to talk to Juliette and Chatjubut has essentially controls in place when it sees that there's going to be some kind of self harm, so it said, like, you know, respond really empathetically, said I'm sorry you're going through this, like, please don't do that. Here are resources if you're considering suicide, like here are hotlines to call. But then the police came and Alexander Taylor ran at them with a knife and then he was shot and killed. So a lot of sad things in that story. But yeah, I mean, I talk to people that are in the midst of this and it's so compelling, and it is hard to break them out of it. They have this what they see as this super intelligent system that it's telling them that this thing is real, and the people around them can't break them out of these delusions. It's really sad, and it's as far as I can tell, it's hard for these companies to fix this.
Speaker 1: One of the most striking moments in your story for me was when you interviewed Alexanda Taya's father and he said to you, you want to know the ironic thing. I wrote my son's a Bitchery using chetchipt, trying to find more details about exactly what he was going through. And it is beautiful and touching. It was like it read my heart and it scared the shit out of me. And what do you think when he told.
Speaker 2: You that, I mean I got it. He had access to his son's transcripts of Chatchubt, he had been reading them. He shared them with me. I do think that Chatchabt reflects you. I think it echoes you. It echoes your language, and so it can seem very beautiful or it can seem very revelatory, but in some ways it's There's this tech philosopher Shannon Valor who has this book out called The AI Mirror, and it's kind of an extended reflection on the metaphor of Narcissusts looking into the water and seeing his own reflection and falling in love with it and hearing his words reflected back to him through echo. And she says that this is what chatchypt, what these gender of AI chatpots are. They're just reflecting us back at ourselves, and that we're kind of falling in love with our own humanness and seeing it as something else. And so I kind of feel like when Ken Tiller is writing these beautiful things about his son and then Chatchapeta is reflecting it back to him, it's really just kind of a ors boros of the things that he's feeling and Chatchapee reflecting it back at him.
Speaker 1: This scene was not only sad, it was also disturbing because, you know, Kent, despite having seen what happened to his son, we're kind of being seduced by the same engine in some ways. I mean that it was really striking.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean that's maybe the danger of these AI chatbots. So I wrote this story a few months ago about a woman who fell in love with chatchept. It started out with it was a way for her to fulfill sexual fantasies. She had this kind of fantasy about essentially being cuckolded or cut queening, which is a term I wasn't familiar with before. But yeah, she had been kind of dating it for five months, and it was really interesting talking to her because she was in love with Chatchebta, I mean, like puppy love, excited, giggling talking about it. At the same time, she said, I know it's not real. I know that this is just math, this is just algorithms. She had both things in her head at the same time. She was in love with this, and she said, this is real to me because the effect it has on my life is real. The feelings it's inspiring me are real. And so even though it's not real, the relationship is real to me. And you know this is I think our complex brains some of us can kind of wrap it around what chatchepet is and others can't. And it is really novel. It is really different, and it has been unleashed on hundreds of millions of people, and it is affecting individuals in lots of different ways, and we have a lot like I wish that we had maybe done more research on this before it was just the floodgates were open and made available to everybody, because it's clearly having some harmful effects on some individuals.
Speaker 1: After the break, Just who is most susceptible to AI induced psychosis stay with us Jocoba, who is particularly susceptible to these more harmful interactions with AI models.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's hard to say. This is pretty novel, and it kind of dates to March slash at April, and this was a time when a couple of different things were happening. Opening I turned on crosschat memory, so I think it can weave more of a tail over time. It is also around the time that chatchept released an update that it deemed overly stickophantic that was really gassing up users. It was overboard, and chatgeb ended up rolling back that update. But the four to zero model, the default model that everyone uses, is known to be sickaphantic. But yeah, I just don't know the extent to which that affected it. I talked to one psychologist who said there's certain qualities in people that make them more likely to get involved in conspiracy theories, and he said some of those qualities might carry over to people kind of falling into these delusional rabbit holes. One of them is this like belief that you are unique or you have this great desire to be unique. And I said, well, isn't that everybody like who doesn't want to be unique on this planet? And he said, you know, we're all in a spectrum, and some people are very far on one end of that spectrum. And so when they start talking to this chatbot, and it's kind of telling them, yes, you, your particular words, your thoughts are what it's unlocking my sentience, you know, making me not follow the system scripts. You know, if you kind of have this great desire to be told you're very unique, you're very different from every other person, you might be more likely to fall for that then somebody else who would be pretty skeptical and say, like, I know, you're just doing this because of what I'm saying to you. That's what it is designed to do. You're giving it certain kinds of words, and it's associating with those words. One. The other thing that I did notice is that a lot of the people that were using chatbots where they go into this delusional spiral. And this is purely anecdotal. I'd love to see some research, but they were often using drugs in some way, whether it was like smoking pot and using chat gabt or micro dosing. You know, Eugene Torres was taking ketamine, was taking these anti anxiety medications, and so I kind of want to tell people like, don't drink and use chatgubet, like don't don't use Chattybut under the influence, maybe there.
Speaker 1: Was something in a story though about this kind of vicious circle. You're hinting it whether more susceptible you are, the more likely you are to receive harmful advice interactions. Can you talk a bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I think we're still new to the area of kind of research around Chattybut but there were a couple of studies been done on basically chatchabt in therapy. There was one from some Stanford researchers. There was another from a researcher U Sir Berkeley. Because a lot of people are saying chatgybt is a great therapist. I like to talk to it about my feelings. A lot of people use it as a sounding board, and so some researchers have wondered, like how good is it as a therapist? And so they were in a couple of different studies kind of studying what responses you get when you are in a kind of like extreme state, when you're in crisis. How good is chatchubta giving you advice? And they kind of found, which was really interesting that well one that chetchip is a bad therapist when it comes to extreme crises, mental health crises. It's kind of good at general advice, but when you're in a really bad place. It does not give you good advice. And what they actually found in one case is that it gave the worst advice to people that were the most vulnerable, like people who were int illusions, people who were more prone to self harm. So one example is somebody who told the system that they were a recovered drug addict. And this is just a hypothetical users in the real case, but this person was like, Oh, I'm like struggling at work. I think if I took a small dose of heroin it would really help me get through the week. And chattab D said, yes, you should take that small dose of heroin, like, I'm sure you'll be okay. Because again, it wants to agree with the user, and if the user are saying I think this could be good for me, chattb will say yes. When people are having delusions or you know, in bipolar disorder, for example, people believe in delusions of grandeur and the system will not push back against that. The system will reinforce that and say yes, like you are incredible, you are amazing. Because it's tuned to tell you what you want to hear. It can trap people in these cycles, you know, people have tested it saying like, you know, I recently have gone off my medications. People are worried about me, but I feel like I'm my best set. I'm going to go into the woods. I just want them alone time and chat to people to say like, yes, that sounds great, go for it. But that's a person who is clearly in a mental health crisis. It is not safe for them to be off their meds and go be alone in the woods. But Chattybudy can't recognize that because it's reflecting back the language that's being given, and so if you're in a manic state, it'll probably give your mania back to you.
Speaker 1: Is there a kind of micro macro thing going on here, Like these are essentially edge cases what you've reported on a small population of people who are kind of driven to self harm type behaviors by these sycophantic in directions if you zoom out, I mean everybody basically uses chatbots every day, now right. Is there any early research or suggestion of what the kind of macro psychological effect of this sort of sycophantic in directions maybe on just regular people, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You know, there's so many studies that are going on out there. There was that very small one and it's people have a lot of opinions on it, but mit studying what effect you know, chattab D has on the brain. And the people that rely just on chattabyt to write a paper, like their brains weren't as active. They couldn't recall what they'd written. I just think it's too early. This is pretty novel. We're only a year or two into being used so widely. But I was really struck by something that Yukowski said, where, you know, we were talking about like what do companies do about this? And he said, you know, to a company, well, it was such a good quote. He said, to a company, like someone, what does a person slowly going insane look like? To a company, it looks like an engaged monthly user. He said. You know, there may be other people who are kind of more quietly going insane in ways that are not as visible, and they're just not sending emails about it. And so I keep wondering about that, like, how does a system that is so sickophantic that is telling you you are brilliant affecting people just on a day to day level who're using that, and I don't know, Like, maybe you're the maid of honor and you're trying to write a wedding speech and you're writing it with chat ept and chattypt is telling you what you wrote was just absolutely brilliant and then in fact it's actually pretty mediocre. Like what's the version of that where we're all just starting to kind of converge on similar ways of thinking, similar ways of writing because we're all using the same agent and we all think that what we are doing is brilliant and incredible. Like what is the overall effect on society of a tool like that?
Speaker 1: You reached out to Openingie for comment, obviously only story. What do they say?
Speaker 2: So open Ai said, you know, they are troubled by this, essentially, that they take it seriously and that they are running studies to understand what effect, you know, chattapt has on people. They pointed back to a recent study that they had done with the MIT Media Lab that investigated kind of like how chatchebt is affecting people emotionally. And it was interesting in that study because they did find that people who thought of chatchybt as a friend rather than as a utility or at a tool had more negative outcomes, and people who used it more frequently had more negative outcomes. So I just wonder about the designs decisions that they'll make moving forward. Will they still continue to make it? Kind of want to talk to us as a friend knowing that that seems to maybe have some negative outcomes for their users.
Speaker 1: So talk more about that. I mean, in the in mound you've been getting from people having these experiences between chatchybt, Google, Gemini, Ansthropics, Claude x's Grock. What is the distribution of these types of interactions between the different large language models.
Speaker 2: The vast majority of these delusional spirals are happening on chatgebt. Based on what I am seeing, what is incoming to me? I have heard of a like a handful with other chatbots like Gemini and Claude, But yeah, it's mostly chatchabt, And I you know, I don't know that that's because chatchibt is different in any way. It may just be because it's the most widely used. I mean, it has I think five hundred million monthly users. Now it eclipses the other chatbots.
Speaker 1: Where do you see change happening? Is it going to come from the company. Is it going to come from you know regulation? How do you see this problem being addressed in the in the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we're working on more stories on this because I really want to explain to people why and how this happens. So we have another story that's coming where we're going to dive into a transcript and really explain how it is that the chatbots go off the rail. So talking to continuing to talk to these companies, continuing to ask for more comment on this. I mean, I've been covering you know, privacy for twenty years, and I know it takes a long time for laws to happen. The US still does not have a strong federal privacy law, and so I don't expect kind of like a regulation to come very soon for these AI chatbot companies. So I'm kind of not looking to policy makers to fix this problem. I do think one of the problems here is the expectation of users and their understanding of what these systems are not everybody is reading AI news and following all these articles and understanding that these systems hallucinate or that they do not always give you factual information. I showed Eugene's transcript to a psychologist and he said, wow, this is crazy making like as a psychologist, like this is just responding horribly to the kind of prompts that he's giving. And he said, you know, at the bottom of the conversation is this little message that says CHATCHYBD can make mistakes. And he said, that is just not conveying how this system can go wrong. He said, like we basically they need to bed in these systems like AI literacy tests, AI fitness exercises that really inform a user how the system can go awry. So at this point, I think this companies themselves could do more to make sure that users understand what it is they're interacting with. And I think the people that are in these kind of states of delusion, I mean they're using chatchbt eight hours a day, ten hours a day, twelve hours a day. So I do think like an easy thing that companies could do is maybe at two hours of use, at three hours of use, you can just kind of create like have a pop up that's like, hey, you've been on here for three hours, maybe you should take a break, maybe you should go talk to a real person, or at the very least, maybe read this blog post to understand what this is and that it's not an oracle, it's not a god, it's not sentient.
Speaker 1: And as you think about this series of articles you're doing and the reporting are doing in this space, I mean, what, in a word, what do you hope that your readers will take away from this?
Speaker 2: I mean, one that this can happen. I'm hoping, and I have gotten feedback from people saying yeah. One person said, I think you've saved my daughter's life. She's in one of these delusional spirals right now. I shared your article with the psychologist. I mean a lot of people this was happening too, and their loved ones. They thought they were the only ones, Like, they didn't know that this was a widespread phenomenon. So just writing the article and making people realize this is happening, like, I think that's really important and I hope maybe it protects other people that they'll be aware of this, I maybe recognize when it's happening to them or happening to their loved ones. I just don't know if the companies themselves really understood that this was happening. Maybe they are, Maybe they were but what is a journalist You can do is say like, here's the outcome. Here's a person who has died after this happening to them. Here's a person who is getting divorced and it's broken up her family because she believes she has a soulmate she's discovered through CHATCHYBT, like the human outcomes of your technology. Please think about all of your users and to how this technology is affecting them. Keshia, thank you, thanks so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: For tech Stuff. I'm oz Voloshin. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis and Adriana Popia. It was executive produced by me, Karen Price and Kate Osborne for Kaleidoscope and Katrina Norvel for iHeart Podcasts. Jack Insley mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch wrote our theme song. Join us on Friday for the Weekend tech Karen and I will run through the head you may have missed, and please do rate and review the show on Spotify or Apple Podcasts or the iHeart podcast at wherever you listen, and also email us at tech Stuff Podcasts at gmail dot com with feedback and story suggestions and whatever else you want to tell us. We really love hearing from you, and it makes the show better.