Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: The stocks on the move today in Aita. I'm Stephen Cara with Carline Hapker and joining us now is our market supporter Anthony Stevens. And so let's start them with the Chinese AI companies. Getting a post from a couple of different factors this morning. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Mini Max, for example, is one of the Chinese lms that's been added to the southbound connect This is the avenue via the Asia investors can invest in Hong Kong, and they tend to be quite aggressive, and you're seeing that in the stock was up seventeen percent and was up around twenty percent. Now it's up sixteen Jupu. Its competitor is also up fifteen percent.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Adding to the flow pressure is the fact that the Chinese lms have started charging money increasingly more money for their models. So we had price increases from Deep Sea, followed by reports that Ali Baba might charge large consumers for its AI models as well. This comes as there's been some concern of token prices really sliding into the lows of twenty twenty six. So it's really encouraging that the Chinese are also putting a flow underneath pricing and prepared to charge for the top end of their models.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so we're watching AI closely. But then there have also been some earnings disappointments from some big names in Japan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's one of the biggest days for earnings in Japan. Work some seven hundred plus listed companies you know I've reported today, and some of the more notable names have been on the downside. So in the medical equipment space, there have been two disasters back to back, M three and Fujifilm. Fujifilm is of course a well known photography name, but that it makes the most of its money now in medical equipment, and they've both had record drops of around seventeen percent after both earnings and growth forecasts missed. So it'll be interesting to see where the investors stick with this space, especially with the AI interruptions that are coming. Lastly, laser Tech, which is in the AI space, is also down around thirteen percent. Laser Tech makes testing equipment for semiconductors. This space is also under pressure from Chinese competition, presumably to follow as China moves up the value curve. So it'll be interesting to see whether the people can maintain their risk capitite in this space. So Japan seeing a lot of earnings dispersion. We've been talking about a lot of double digit moves after earnings, and let's see where the people stick with the winners and continue to cut the losers.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, they've also been watching banks in Singapore, the country ceridifying its status as a wealth management hub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Singapore is a bit of a reputation for being a dull country in terms of their equity market, but the banks have quietly put up some really good numbers. OCBC, for example, is up fifty two percent on the year, and after earnings is up three percent and moving to a new record that is more than the costpi's index return a year. Today. It's bigger peer, DBS is also up around one and a half percent after very strong earnings. That stock is up around twenty thirty five percent on the year. And one of the things they talked about during earnings is the interesting aspect of combining AI and wealth management. So these guys are really ahead of the curve on the fintech side of things. It's a small market, but it's a very lucrative market, and increasingly so as the young rich start to put their money to work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fascinating, isn't it. Lastly, I thought, Anthony, if you would on this US Japan intervention. There's been a lot of focus on yen intervention and whether we might see it again as the Japanese yen gives up a lot of the moves that we saw as a result of this kind of helping hand from Scott Bessen, and it's also got the attention of Europe too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been a lot of intelligent people speaking about the yen over the last couple of days in terms of the viability of continued intervention. In the first place, the US swap line repot line with Japan was unused, so it appears that Japan has actually raised the money themselves not use the repo line to intervene in the currency. That's the first kind of mini shock. The second one is that they probably run out of bullets if they do it that way using their own money, because they have probably another two interventions left this year, and the market knows it before they lose their status as a free floating currency, so they need a lot of help from the US. Now, what you mentioned there about Europe is the fact that the US and Japan didn't particularly ask for Europe's permission and instead sold the euro against the yen. So what currencies are being played against the yen is also interesting, and you know, is a new factor to this kind of intervention that is popping up. So clearly the US wants to reduce pressure on its own assets while helping the Japanese strengthen their currency. So these two countries have to find kind of a productive middle ground in steading up the end without causing any other problems in other asset markets.
Speaker 2: This Starck Mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.